Emmerdale

msf

The actress that plays Harriet was Sally Hunter in Hollyoaks some years back, Slade, is that where you remember her from?

Yes that's it. Didn't think you ever watched Hollyoaks RR.

One of the most infuriating storylines I've seen in years was when Charity's plan to remove Archie from Jai forever worked. And the most frustrating thing was that I always knew it would and as a viewer I just had to sit there and watch it happen. Charity's proven time and time again what an extremely vile and selfish person she really is. More focused on getting revenge on Jai than she was about her own cousin's happiness. And then when they (She and Declan) got their hands on Jai's money too after he was stupid enough to fall for that guy pretending he had seen Rachel. Does Declan seriously think everything will go well if he marries her? I did actually find Jai's reaction quite funny when he found out about the pregnancy and I loved the scenes in yesterday's episode in the Woolpack where first Charity and Declan were at odds with Cain and the other Dingles then Jai came in with Megan and started arguing with them. I also really like the part where Jai said "Is Charity a scheming cow?" and Cain jumped in and said "I can answer that." It's funny to think that Cain is a better person than Charity is.

What happened to Gemma was tragic but I think it was a bold move the writers doing that. I was pretty indifferent about the character but I've liked the way Belle has handled it and it's proven she's a good girl, despite all the pressure from various members of her family she was still determined to do the right thing. I know she was only trying to protect her daughter but Lisa really annoyed me the way she was acting, especially towards Zak (she had already annoyed me previously when she went into Jai's office and stole the contact Jai had who claimed he'd seen Rachel and gave the information to Charity). It's been interesting seeing Dom cope but they can't drag this out forever and I'm not sure what purpose his character serves now. I do hope he changes his mind about Belle and tries to help her like Cain asked although I'm not sure how realistic it was even though the whole thing was a tragic accident.

Although I was disappointed with Eric, I didn't blame him for cheating on Val but did he have to sleep with Diane? Still considering the number of times Diane has gotten on her high horse, it just proved she's human like the rest of them. Val absolutely deserved to have that happen to her. I have to admit though she was pure comedy gold afterwards, the way she announced the whole thing to everyone in the pub and made a complete fool of her sister. It's amazing after everything she's done to him Eric still loves her. Although I'd imagine this will get tiresome for some people them breaking up and getting back together constantly.

I've actually quite liked Donna returning with April. I wasn't party to the stuff that happened the first time she left so I can't really make and judgement calls but depriving Marlon of the first few years of his daughter's life seems very selfish. And although what's happening to her is sad, it appears as though that's the only reason she's even told him. I think Rhona is right to be suspicious because I can see Donna falling for Marlon again especially when her condition deteriorates. I still think the storyline has the potential to be good though.

Oh and I'm still enjoying the bromance with Marlon and Paddy.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The actress that plays Harriet was Sally Hunter in Hollyoaks some years back, Slade, is that where you remember her from?

Yes that's it. Didn't think you ever watched Hollyoaks RR.

Not on a regular basis, just caught the odd episode here and there.

I do wonder at times whether the people working on the show see characters the same as we do.I saw Emma Atkins in an interview a few weeks back going "Oh, people don't hate Charity, they can see she's damaged" when I'm seeing comments all over the place by people who want her found out and punished.(Yeah, good luck with that, not on this show.)The pregnancy storyline seems like someone's desperately trying to soften the character but it's mostly just making her come across as twisted.Even Noah seems resigned to having yet another father figure foisted on him as per Charity's latest whim.

I hated Marlon more than ever in his attitude towards Donna and April, he seemed to be campaigning for the worst dad of the year in the way he rejected his daughter because she was getting in the way of his cosy family set-up and went around terrorising her.And I was very upset by the revelation Donna was dying and something tells me it'll be on the lower end of "a few years at most". And just as Marlon's started acting like a human being, she's suddenly got Rhona shooting her poisonous looks and making insinuations.All of it's a huge shame because when Marlon and Donna have shared a scene without him yelling abuse at her, it's reminded me of how great they were as a couple and how him and Laurel never stand a chance of matching up despite the show trying to force them on us as soul mates.But then the writers obviously see couples differently to how I do, I've never really got why they think Paddy and Rhona are suited either.

I'm very impressed with the writers for taking a risk and making Val HIV positive, there needed to be some proper consequences to this rather than it just being something that happened.Don't really care about Eric sleeping with Diane, it's not even like they were together at the time, just a shame it gave Val an excuse to play the victim.

You know, I always thought Gemma got away with way more than she should(smashing David and Alicia's window, manipulating Sean into distributing embarrassing pictures of Belle)so, while it was extremely harsh justice, I can't say I really shed a tear when she died.I can understand Dom's point of view but it's not making him very likable.I seriously disliked Lisa first for forcing Belle to keep quiet and then for laying a guilt trip on Zak for doing the right thing.The "Not guilty" plea is probably fair, since she's innocent of the crime she was accused, she might have killed Gemma but it was hardly murder.Her plan to get off does at least have the advantage of being more sane than Sean's plan.And giving the odd court decisions you see in the papers, it's probably got a chance of working...

Been impressed with the way Priya's storyline has worked out and I'm glad she's getting the help she needs but feel a bit sorry for Alicia, who seems to be in the crossfire somewhat.Shame Jimmy had to be the bigger man and give up the office, especially since I still don't really like Kerry.And I really don't know what to think of Pete, it seems like they're trying to sell him to us as Debbie's nice, normal boyfriend but he has this occasional flash of darkness which leaves me worried.

• 3 months later...

I was very surprised Belle was sentenced to a young offenders institute. One person who annoyed me immensely during the trial was Lisa. The way she was demanding that Dom stayed away. It was obviously understandable that she wanted to protect her daughter but he had as much right as anybody to be there. And she had no right to tell him not to. Even though it didn't make any difference I was glad Dom spoke out for Belle in the end and forgave her. And it was good to see Cain acknowledge that.

Still finding that I really dislike Charity and was actually glad when she and Declan went on their honeymoon. I was hoping they wouldn't come back but if I'm honest I she hasn't done anything too bad (in comparison to before she left). There are worse ways to get one over on Megan than leaving a cute little kitten in a box. Megan had the right idea catching Charity out but she would have to have been way smarter and now that Declan has seen what his sister tried to do wants nothing more to do with her. Realistically the only chance she has is if she somehow finds out about the abortion and proves it to Declan. Can't see that happening anytime soon though. I did enjoy Cain blackmailing her though although Charity didn't really suffer that much.

I'm really frustrated at this storyline with Sam and Tracy. She's using him pure and simple and he's only going to end up getting hurt. It's one of those things where just like we knew Charity was going to take Archie from Jai just had to sit back and watch it happen and we will have to sit back and watch this. She's going to bleed him dry and there's not a lot anybody can do about it. Zak had the right idea making it pretty obvious he doesn't like her. So at least someone is watching her.

I have to admit, I've found parts of this storyline with Priya and Rakesh quite amusing. Especially the way it's winding Jai up. Best part was when Rakesh caught Jai and Leyla after they'd just slept together and used it as leverage for Jai to back off and accept the engagement. Can understand Jai sleeping with her even though I don't like it at all and think Megan deserves better.

I have mixed feelings about Donna's character. The whole cancer thing was very sad. I remember when Rhona found out and Donna wanted her to keep quiet and Rhona was crying her eyes out. Also some of the scenes with April and Marlon too. But I believe she well and truly sold herself to the devil. I can understand her wanting to secure a future for April after she died but not the way she went about it. She not only got into league with Ross but engaged in a relationship with him. This is someone who is an extremely violent criminal and at his own selfishness has had other innocent people dragged into his mess. She still continued the indiscretions even after he violently assaulted someone and left the victim fighting for his life at one point due to failed a robbery she arranged. Then they stole from a high profile ganglord and allow themselves to be blackmailed, still continuing to be engaged in illegal activities. There's no doubt that Ross actually loved her but I'm not entirely sure if she loved him. Regardless even if Donna had been sick it never would have worked. One scene I did really like was when Bob went to break the news to Marlon and they could all tell by the look on Bob's face that it was Donna and that it was something major. Then the shock reactions from everyone in the Woolpack. Irrespective of what I thought they did it was still a very exciting finish as far as the storyline for Donna went.

I have literally had it up to here with Adam. I'm so sick and tired of people going out of the way to try and 'protect' him. He tried to burn Cain alive and Aaron had to sacrifice his own freedom, go on the run to try and help him. He gets drunk, operates the tractor and puts Andy (who probably should have gone to court although I understand why he didn't) in hospital almost causing him to lose his arm, then has really bad attitude about it. In fact he has a bad attitude about everything, constantly playing the victim and blaming everyone but himself for his own failings. He then decides to get involved with Ross and Donna, knowing full well they were involved in something highly illegal. Aaron comes back to help him, risks getting caught by the police and Adam still has a go at him coming across as completely ungrateful for everything. Moira's the one that annoys me the most in all of this because with her everything appears to be forgive and forget. She's never once showed him that actions have consequences. Don't get me wrong I can understand she is a mother protecting her child but there comes a point where enough is enough. Has it actually occurred to any of them that it might be better for everyone (himself included) if Adam does go to jail, even for just a bit? I really, really wanted Chas to go to the police and tell them everything and was really annoyed when Aaron talked her out of it. Don't really blame Edna for calling them though. I just hope they catch Aaron so Chas and Cain are forced to decide whether they want to save him over Adam.

Edited by Slade

I thought Belle would get off right up to the point where they introduced the manslaughter charge, at which point it was a fair cop frankly and Belle pleading "Not guilty" just because she didn't want to upset Zac was a daft move that could have backfired more than it did:She's very lucky the appeal court agreed to reduce the sentence.

I've never really liked Kerry and thought Dan deserved better so the way she bullied him into marrying her annoyed me.And then of course it all self-destructed and I was pleased.

God help me but I find I actually like Ross.It may be because no-one else does and it probably helps that most of the characters who are against him are people I don't really like.Despite a lot of questionable choices, I liked Donna right up to the end.Her last episode was unbearably tense, the way she didn't say goodbye to April was pretty much soap code for "She's not coming back" but I didn't know exactly what was going to happen until she dangled off that edge and Gary learned too late that you can't threaten a dying woman.I think it had gone beyond the money by then, she did it to protect April and Ross, and to make sure her death meant something.I'm not sure what I feel about Marlon and Laurel burning the money.It seemed rather disrespectful of them to just negate Donna's attempt to make sure April was provided for and it failed to be symbolic in any way, just coming across as them taking the easy way out.And I can't help thinking Marlon did it partly to keep Laurel happy, given how sanctimonious she was acting:On a purely practical level, he knows plenty of people who could have hidden the money away and found a way for them to claim it without it looking suspicious.The fact April would probably be better off with Ross than him speaks volumes:Ross knew how to tell it to her straight and treated her like an equal rather than confusing her with convoluted metaphors.I'm intrigued with Debbie's support of him, which I don't think has anything to do with Pete:She might claim otherwise but I think Debbie knows she and Pete aren't suited.I don't think she's in love with Ross either or even particularly has those sort of feelings for him, but I think she identifies with him more and sees him as a kindred spirit.

Did Chas really think the police would just let Aaron go after he lied to them and skipped bail?I do think he's got a good chance of getting a lenient sentence at trial though, given his motives were fairly altruistic.Adam redeemed himself somewhat by turning himself in and hopefully seems to have turned himself around.To be honest, Aaron annoyed me massively with the way he charged into a situation he knew nothing about, punched Adam and made things worse, and his return seems to have received a mixed response.

Edited by Red Ranger 1

• 1 month later...

I'm glad Aaron didn't get a custodial sentence. He didn't deserve it sacrificed everything for purely selfless reasons. I have mixed feelings about Adam. Whilst I've wanted there to be repercussions for his behaviour, now he's been banged up, I'm not as pleased as I originally thought. Maybe it's because his attitude had changed and he seemed to acknowledge what he had done and wasn't acting completely unlikeable. I'm glad Ross has gone for now. I hope he never comes back but I don't think that's going to happen somehow.

Why the HELL did Robbie have to jump in front of Charity like that? Who cares whether Declan stuffs his life up? It was a chance to get rid of her once and for all. And now she wins yet again. Her character has show consistently she can step out of line, behave reprehensibly and there are never any consequences for her actions. And it looks as though she's going to get everything including all of Home farm. It's Megan I felt sorry for. All she tried to do was help her brother and she ends up losing her son and most probably her Declan (although we can't rule anything out until a body turns up). I thought Robbie was a pr*ck and failed to understand what purpose his character served. I thought the writers kept him around for way too long but I think it's so unfair on Megan who I think is essentially a good person. Declan should have at least told Jai and Sam about how he and Charity got rid of Rachel and Archie. And once more Charity is made out to be the victim when (although Declan was crazy) she was in fact the exact opposite.

I've been a bit hot and cold with Jai. I don't like the way he's cheated on Megan and his attitude towards Priya and Rakesh's wedding but I thought he was within his rights to fire Lisa. I felt sorry for her and am glad she her episode was just angina and not a full on heart attack but what did she expect him to do given how she was carrying on taking liberties and stealing the petty cash? I was extremely annoyed at Zack's attitude and although I liked the way Rakesh decided to take Jai on didn't like the fact that he offered to help the Dingle's. I mentioned before that ever since she stole the contact details of the guy who supposedly had information about Rachel from Jai's office and her attitude towards Dom at Belle's trial, I've found Lisa extremely annoying. At the moment I'm finding it hard to like any of the Dingles apart from Chas and maybe Cain (sometimes). Sam annoyed me intensely the way he let Tracy manipulate him winding himself up in thousands of pounds of debt.

I had serious doubts about Debbie and Pete but now I'm starting to wonder if she may be veering towards loving him. I dunno, perhaps she wants the stability because she knows he's a good guy. I thought Pete and Leyla wound have made an interesting couple and I quite liked the interaction and my concern would be that Debbie would only end up hurting Pete again. Although I really dislike Ross have to admit the look of horror on Debbie's face when he told her he had revealed to Pete what happened between them was priceless.

I was actually quite sorry to see Ross go, I found him quite a compelling and sympathetic character and he had some lovely stuff with Bob just before he left.The bit where Bob asks him if Donna was happy with him and he starts off giving a dismissive answer before lowering the barriers and saying "I thought she was" was a real emotional moment.I'm even more disappointed that Marlon and Laurel got married, I was hoping we'd get away with it.It seems like everyone insists they're perfect for each other but we've got very little evidence of it.At least we've got a hero in Doug, who clearly doesn't like them together either, but I get this odd feeling we're meant to side with Marlon bullying him.

I'm kind of hoping Jai will stick with Megan after everything that's happened.And I was completely on his side sacking Lisa, who seemed to think rules didn't apply to her.The Rakesh/Priya stuff was bewildering.I can't help feeling there's a sinister side to Rakesh, there seemed to be a sort of reverse psychology in the way he suddenly called the wedding off and sure enough, Priya's back in his arms.

I was shaking my head in disbelief at the ridiculous woodland episodes.Declan has umpteen opportunities to finish Charity off, she somehow gets hit on the head with a mallet and only gets a tiny cut, he keeps her tied up while he digs a big hole giving her time to get free instead of just killing her...and if Megan had sat at home with her feet up, Charity would be dead, Robbie wouldn't and Declan would be no worse off really.I really thought he was dead when Charity hit him so I pretty much cheered when he turned up again, even though I was kind of expecting him to just make another overcomplicated plan to try and kill Charity and end up dying for real.But now...I don't know.Has he finally offed her?Or is he going for the pain rather than the kill and destroying her life while she's out of the way?At the very least, if he's not dead and stays that way, she won't inherit everything...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so glad I've found someone else who hates the Laurel and Marlon pairing... they should never have broken up Laurel and Ashley that was just a big big no no.

Even though the soap mags seem to mostly be gushing over them (bar the occasional comment about missing Laurel and Ashley), there are some corners of the internet where the Laurel/Marlon pairing is absolutely loathed.The new producer seemed to realise that the audience were angry about a long-serving married couple being broken up on a whim and tried to retrieve the situation by having Ashley accept Laurel with Marlon and wish them well, but really the relationship was beyond salvaging and it should have been a case of scorched earth.

I really don't know what to make of this last week.My overall feeling is "So what?"It feels like the writers think we'll forget everything that Charity's done if all the characters she's hurt get the opportunity to put the boot into her one by one, but it seems unlikely that she's going to go to prison so at the end of the day it's just another case of her being temporarily inconvenienced but not actually suffering any tangible consequences, and no doubt she'll be back lording it over everyone before too long.It's saying something that I'm glad Declan got away and he was hardly an innocent party.

I thoroughly enjoyed Declan holding everyone at gunpoint and exposing Charity's indiscretions. And I also liked the way one by one each of the Dingles turned their backs on her. This week however has emphasised exactly the problem with simply making Charity suffer rather than actually killing her. Charity is a survivor. She always has been, always will be and will fight right to the bitter end. Even before Cain rescued her already you could see a change of heart from him and Zack. And now that she's been rescued the Dingles are going to be so focused on payback that they are going to forget about everything Charity has done over the last few months. I said in my last post that she's won and although it's not so much a victory now and she's probably going to face criminal charges, I fully expect her to get out of that somehow too.

What was Jai thinking? Well I assume he wasn't thinking, which is why he kidnapped Charity and locked her up in that metal container in the first place. Did it occur to him how he would actually get away with it? Did he have a plan for how to play it if Charity didn't know where Rachel was? In spite of everything I still don't think he's a bad person just messed up because of Archie. I suspect by the time Cain has finished with him, if Jai does wake up from the coma, he's going to wish he hadn't The only saving grace is possible leverage whereby he can say that Sam pushed him down the stairs but there is still the issue of Charity going to the police about her kidnapping if he does that. I see Leyla's visit to the hospital has set the alarm bells off and it's only going to be a matter of time before Megan susses out that something has gone on with her and Jai.

I'm glad the writers have left things open with Declan hopefully he will return and finish the job someday although that looks unlikely now.

Really not liking this protection racket thing with Moira re Adam's safety in jail. I don't think Moira should have paid that woman off because she's only going to come back for more money again and I think with a situation like this she would be justified getting Cain involved.