What should they do for the 35th anniversary?.

j.laur5

On 29/03/2023 at 00:12, James Martin said:

it's outrageous they've never addressed Morag, and it's too late after Cornelia's passing to really do so.  If there's one character who deserved an on screen funeral episode it's her.  In EastEnders and Coronation Street it's almost considered the done thing to have a funeral for the character of a deceased actor by way of a tribute.

I dont follow Eastenders or Coronation Street, but I assume you meant the major characters or characters with relevance to the current show? For example, Jesse McGregor's funeral would have felt out of place in 2019

But yeah. Morag was born in Summer Bay and still had family around, and she was a legendary character. 

On 29/03/2023 at 00:12, James Martin said:

we're now further away from Episode 4000 than Episode 4000 is from the very beginning.

That's a scary thought when for me, that was pretty much the point it all went wrong. I gave up watching full-time not long after Episode 4000 (sometime after Amanda Vale arrived, but before Hayley gave birth) because I'd had enough of the heightened drama. But looking back, it was much more watchable than it is now! 

TBF Corrie never addressed the fates of Minnie Caldwell, Ena Sharples, Annie Walker or Hilda Ogden. So Morag Bellingham is not alone down Summer Bay way. The fate of Eileen Clarke in Neighbours was never addressed.

1988-2004 H&A was ACE. A very refreshing and vibrant show, 2005-2010 was a dip and 2011 present has been pretty awful but with some good parts.

7 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

1988-2004 H&A was ACE. A very refreshing and vibrant show, 2005-2010 was a dip and 2011 present has been pretty awful but with some good parts.

Everyone has different opinions - I felt H&A started to go downhill during the Sutherland years, but at least it was still watchable. In 2005, the wheels came off further with heightened drama like the Summer Bay Stalker, Amanda's introduction and the constant disasters and stunts. I think Sally's exit was a turning point for the show - for most of 2008-2010, it felt like the show didn't know what to do (so it became the Martha McKenzie show!) and sort of tread water for a few years before the Braxton arrived. From there, it gradually morphed into the show it is today.

I watched more frequently in 2013-2016 than I did in 2006ish - 2013, because I quite enjoyed that teen gang of Oscar, Maddie, Evie, Matt and Josh and the early days of John and Marilyn's and Zac and Leah's marriages. That's the closest H&A has felt to classic H&A in recent years for me. 

• 1 month later...
On 30/03/2023 at 09:17, adam436 said:

I dont follow Eastenders or Coronation Street, but I assume you meant the major characters or characters with relevance to the current show? For example, Jesse McGregor's funeral would have felt out of place in 2019. 

Would have closed a door for Irene, Alf and Leah at least but with most of everyone from his era gone and no Olivia around to really sell it (dealing with the emotions of losing Chloe all over again and the fact it was one of her friends that caused her death), you're right.

• Like 1