What should they do for the 35th anniversary?.

j.laur5

• John changed the title to What should they do for the 35th anniversary?.
On 22/09/2022 at 12:34, Homeandawayfan. said:

I doubt they will do much as the current TPTB have no interest in the history of the show. They worry that celebrating the 35th will age the show. H&A never did much for its 30th apart from a huge retcon of the shows history by having Martha be alive all along and tarnish Alf's character.

Yeah. The saddest part for me is the 30th anniversary also had the 7000th episode. No returnees or celebration..it all went by very silently.

The 35th anniversary will contain the 8000th episode. I'm expecting the exact same treatment.

Maybe we'll get another retcon- Alf became aware Ailsa was alive this whole time and found out after Duncan went to live with Morag and didn't want to tell him cos reasons. 

I mean we never actually saw Ailsa die did we? She just collapsed and then we had a timeskip to her funeral. She could still very much be alive ?

Edited by hapitoby

If the PTB were going to have some iconic characters return planning and writing for that would have to start now.  I would like to see the return of one or more iconic characters properly written into storylines with preparation for other characters who would have no idea who they are (or were ) to be introduced to them and a real plausible reason established for their return.

I'm not a fan of the random return of characters just as nostalgia or a return to a past era.

• Like 2

H&A does not need to be peppered with returnees for its anniversary, as some characters are best left in the past, but the odd returnee will not hurt. I guess H&A is one soap that likes to look forward and move forward rather than live in the past. Although they need to cut down on the crime stories and overused sinister creepy music. It is H&A not The Exorcist.

H&A is now the longest running Australian soap still in production since Neighbours ended in July. It should try and savor that now.

Edited by Homeandawayfan.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/09/2022 at 04:02, hapitoby said:

Yeah. The saddest part for me is the 30th anniversary also had the 7000th episode. No returnees or celebration..it all went by very silently.

The 35th anniversary will contain the 8000th episode. I'm expecting the exact same treatment.

Agreed! I'd say it's likely the 35th anniversary will most likely pass the producers by. They did nothing for the 30th and I'd say 35 is actually a less significant milestone. If the producers did something, it would most likely be a River Boys reunion with Ash, Brax, Heath and their partners returning for the occasion. 

Maybe we will get a big wedding or big disaster to mark the 8000th episode, but I think anyone after a nostalgia fest of 1988-2010 will be extremely disappointed. 

On 27/09/2022 at 04:02, hapitoby said:

Maybe we'll get another retcon- Alf became aware Ailsa was alive this whole time and found out after Duncan went to live with Morag and didn't want to tell him cos reasons. 

Given we've had major retcons with Alf, Irene (if you count Mick as a retcon?) and Marilyn in recent years, it will surely be Leah's or Roo's turn next. Maybe Vinnie is alive after all? Or she had a secret child prior to arriving in 2000... 

• Like 1

On 22/10/2022 at 10:51, adam436 said:

Agreed! I'd say it's likely the 35th anniversary will most likely pass the producers by. They did nothing for the 30th and I'd say 35 is actually a less significant milestone. If the producers did something, it would most likely be a River Boys reunion with Ash, Brax, Heath and their partners returning for the occasion. 

Maybe we will get a big wedding or big disaster to mark the 8000th episode, but I think anyone after a nostalgia fest of 1988-2010 will be extremely disappointed. 

Given we've had major retcons with Alf, Irene (if you count Mick as a retcon?) and Marilyn in recent years, it will surely be Leah's or Roo's turn next. Maybe Vinnie is alive after all? Or she had a secret child prior to arriving in 2000... 

Yeah it would a river boys returnee at best but even then I don't see them doing it. I do see them introducing yet another trio of young guys.

Spoiler

Spoilers suggesting than Dean and Nikau (and Tane even though I see no evidence for this) are leaving, they'll want to introduce more "bad boy" types.

I don't think we'll get anything at all. We'll probably get a standard annual wedding but i seriously doubt it would coincide with the 8000 episode.

I see Leah and Roo being next. Roo/Leah having a secret child or dark secret being the real reason they fled to they bay.

I'd like for Vinnie to return but no point if recasted. Vinne having a child while in witness protection that tracks Leah down would be better then her having a secret child. Though, Leah has gotten Theo recently so I'd say it'll be more likely Roo is in line for the next retcon lol