The ''milkshakes'' in the diner

BobbyFridge

I'm guessing they weren't real milkshakes. I always found it odd that the characters always ordered milkshakes and then never drank them, even worst sometimes they get up and leave without even touching them. Who in real life would do that, order something and not even touch it? They had a lot of spare cash to donate to Ailsa and Bobby?! It looked to me like whatever the ''milkshakes' 'were it didn't taste very nice, you often see them playing with the straw, stirring it and then looking reluctant to pretend to drink any. Later on, in the Shannon/Curtis era they stopped using clear glasses and started using those (horrible) metal cups which were probably empty. You'd see them pretending to actually drink it more then  

On 29/03/2022 at 04:07, BobbyFridge said:

I'm guessing they weren't real milkshakes. I always found it odd that the characters always ordered milkshakes and then never drank them, even worst sometimes they get up and leave without even touching them. Who in real life would do that, order something and not even touch it? They had a lot of spare cash to donate to Ailsa and Bobby?! It looked to me like whatever the ''milkshakes' 'were it didn't taste very nice, you often see them playing with the straw, stirring it and then looking reluctant to pretend to drink any. Later on, in the Shannon/Curtis era they stopped using clear glasses and started using those (horrible) metal cups which were probably empty. You'd see them pretending to actually drink it more then  

The milkshakes were real when they had to drink them, it was the job of the props caterer to provide them. But they would have been mindful that a scene could very well consist of several takes, and any pickup shots they did may have resulted in continuity errors with the level of milkshakes going up and down. Therefore small sips would have been less noticeable (and less sickly too) if they did have to do it several times over, and save having to continually top them up.

Naturally when the opaque tumblers came in that wasn't as much of a problem, but you could plainly see the times where there was nothing actually in them, with the straw loosely moving around.

7 hours ago, Sunny Girl said:

The catering woman was called Carol Toohey, if I remember correctly. It was a long time ago - I could be mistaken. 

That’s correct, and she only retired last year having been with the show from the beginning.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/04/2022 at 04:58, Dan F said:

The milkshakes were real when they had to drink them, it was the job of the props caterer to provide them. But they would have been mindful that a scene could very well consist of several takes, and any pickup shots they did may have resulted in continuity errors with the level of milkshakes going up and down. Therefore small sips would have been less noticeable (and less sickly too) if they did have to do it several times over, and save having to continually top them up.

Naturally when the opaque tumblers came in that wasn't as much of a problem, but you could plainly see the times where there was nothing actually in them, with the straw loosely moving around.

The characters switched from ordering milkshakes to ordering orange juice and you don't get served orange juice in a milkshake glass.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone uploaded G'Day Summer Bay to YouTube a while ago and there's a section where Tristan Bancks talks to Carol Toohey about the food in the diner. If the direct link to this doesn't work, scroll on to 4:30 She mentions using potatoes in one of Sam's ice-creams ?

Archived