Female characters dating older men

Firstly I have no issues with age differences in relationships but I noticed there are lots of age differences in recent relationships. And they all have a younger female and older male.

Some examples:

Ziggy(early 20s) and Tane (30s)

Felicity (20s) and Tane (30s)

Jasmine (20s) and Robbo (30s)

Kat (20s) and Robbo (30s)

Tori (late 30s) and Christian (40s)

Mackenzie (late 20s) and Ari (late 30s possibly 40s)

Willow (20s) and Justin (around 40)

Phoebe (20s) and Justin (around 40)

Ricky (20s) and Nate (30s)

Marilyn (around 50) and Palmer (60s)

Susie (around 50) and Palmer (60s)

Nobody even questioned these relationships, yet how would people react to the following:

1. Tori and Dean (the same as Robbo and Jasmine)

2. Leah and Colby (the same as Justin and Willow)

3. Roo and Ben (the same as Palmer and Marilyn)

4. Jasmine and Ryder (the same as Tane and Ziggy)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

We had Charlotte who slept with (Matt/Kyle/Andy who more were ten years then her . 

Also Rachel Married Kim who was at least eight years older then Kim and Irene and Paris.

True but did the show mention the age difference for these couples? I’m sure Irene and Paris mentioned the age difference, and I think Kim and Rachel too.

I’m pretty certain the age differences aren’t brought up when the male is older.

I can't say I really thought of most of those as age gap relationships. I think Justin's only meant to in his 30s (certainly during some of the relationships quoted), a fair bit younger than his actor, meaning there's probably as big an age gap between him and Leah as some of the examples quoted! I imagine no-one would have batted an eyelid over at least the first three of the reverse examples, possibly not the fourth either given that they're both in their 20s now.

14 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I can't say I really thought of most of those as age gap relationships. I think Justin's only meant to in his 30s (certainly during some of the relationships quoted), a fair bit younger than his actor, meaning there's probably as big an age gap between him and Leah as some of the examples quoted! I imagine no-one would have batted an eyelid over at least the first three of the reverse examples, possibly not the fourth either given that they're both in their 20s now.

Yeah. Tori turned 30 in late 2016 and I think her and Justin were meant to be very close in age. I'd say 5 years at the most, making Justin around 40 this year..though I think he's supposed to be younger. Leah turned 30 in early 2009 so unless it's been retconned she should be 43 now. 

The show seems to ignore ages quite a bit, which is fine since you shouldn’t be defined by your age haha

I find it strange though that the Ryder/Nikau/Bella/Theo group (20-21 years old) isn’t much younger than Ziggy (about 23) yet Ziggy seems more mature than them and hangs out with the late 20s/early 30s characters.

I also feel like Ryder’s group is given storylines that would have been given to the 16-18 year olds in the past. The Ryder and Theo challenge video storyline would definitely have been given to high schoolers if it were done years ago.

7 minutes ago, 16770052 said:

The show seems to ignore ages quite a bit, which is fine since you shouldn’t be defined by your age haha

I find it strange though that the Ryder/Nikau/Bella/Theo group (20-21 years old) isn’t much younger than Ziggy (about 23) yet Ziggy seems more mature than them and hangs out with the late 20s/early 30s characters.

I also feel like Ryder’s group is given storylines that would have been given to the 16-18 year olds in the past. The Ryder and Theo challenge video storyline would definitely have been given to high schoolers if it were done years ago.

Yeah agreed. I don't mind the felixbility if the ages...it does annoy me when it's so blatantly changed like VJ. Olivia was aged down. I'm pretty sure she was born in 97/98 while VJ was in the 2001 finale, yet he is at least a year older than her now lol

The Ryder and Theo thing though, they usually would give this storyline to high schoolers but since they don't have them anymore that's probably why the early 20s characters get that storyline. 

7 hours ago, hapitoby said:

Yeah agreed. I don't mind the felixbility if the ages...it does annoy me when it's so blatantly changed like VJ. Olivia was aged down. I'm pretty sure she was born in 97/98 while VJ was in the 2001 finale, yet he is at least a year older than her now lol

The Ryder and Theo thing though, they usually would give this storyline to high schoolers but since they don't have them anymore that's probably why the early 20s characters get that storyline. 

Well, it's fitting for two guys who never emotionally matured past YR10 lol

I’m sure if Ziggy started dating Nikau, people will be like “Isn’t she too old for him?” when they are about 2 years different while Ziggy and Tane were probably 5-10 years different. Same with Ryder and Felicity.

But I’m sure nobody would comment on Bella and Emmett because the male is the older one.

Frankly, Bella and Nikau has always bothered me a bit. Out of that young person group, he seems to be the oldest and she's definitely the youngest: When they got together, he seemed to be in his 20s and she was explicitly only 17, and not even a particularly mature 17. Yet it just got treated as normal.

Archived