Female characters dating older men

Which is weird since Nikau and Felicity do have things in common, losing a father at a young age and clashing with the substitute father figure who wants them to behave responsibly in tricky times for the family. They've not got things figured out for themselves as much as Ziggy does for her. She's got a job (although seeing her at said job is increasingly rare) she has a career path in, a stable relationship and relative independence in living in effectively her own home. Nikau has only just gotten into surf lifesaving and hasn't acted to move out of the house, and Felicity is still looking for a direction in life while living in the trailer park. It's because as part of the group who are the youngest main cast member Nikau gets the storylines that would normally go to a teenager, the recent conflict with Chloe feeling like two kids fighting with the adults trying to work out how to handle it. If the writing treated him more like a young man than a teenager the character would be a lot better.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, SunlightLurker said:

It's because as part of the group who are the youngest main cast member Nikau gets the storylines that would normally go to a teenager

Exactly.  The actors who play that group of characters are about 22-27 (Lukas Radovich was 27 earlier this year while Ryder is only 21) and are playing 19-21 year olds, but the challenges story between Ryder and Theo at the end of last year felt more like something that 16-17 year old Shane Parrish would do in 1993 with Damian trying to stop him.  It's a surprise that there wasn't any challenge of jumping from "Jump Rock".

45 minutes ago, homeandawayroxsomuch. said:

Theo at the end of last year felt more like something that 16-17 year old

Going on from this, if Theo is supposed to be about 20, did he not go to a school where they had to wear uniform because Justin was having to teach him how to tie a tie for his court appearance and I can't imagine that a secondary school would have an elastic tie?  I had an elastic tie in primary school (but also wore a dress for the summer months), but had to learn how to tie a proper tie at 11 years old.

At whatever job Theo had at his father's car dealership (I think), did he never have to dress corporately and wear a tie for that?  He acts like a 16-17 year old.

22 minutes ago, homeandawayroxsomuch. said:

Going on from this, if Theo is supposed to be about 20, did he not go to a school where they had to wear uniform because Justin was having to teach him how to tie a tie for his court appearance and I can't imagine that a secondary school would have an elastic tie?  I had an elastic tie in primary school (but also wore a dress for the summer months), but had to learn how to tie a proper tie at 11 years old.

At whatever job Theo had at his father's car dealership (I think), did he never have to dress corporately and wear a tie for that?  He acts like a 16-17 year old.

He probably got dress coded a bunch of times and sent home and got the riot act in Greek from Dimitrii.

1 hour ago, homeandawayroxsomuch. said:

Exactly.  The actors who play that group of characters are about 22-27 (Lukas Radovich was 27 earlier this year while Ryder is only 21) and are playing 19-21 year olds, but the challenges story between Ryder and Theo at the end of last year felt more like something that 16-17 year old Shane Parrish would do in 1993 with Damian trying to stop him.  It's a surprise that there wasn't any challenge of jumping from "Jump Rock".

"Come yer gutless wonda!"

*misses those times*?

19 hours ago, homeandawayroxsomuch. said:

Theo probably was more into the casual side of formal wear, the top button undone scruffy look usually indicating someone like Theo. He didn't even have a suit and had to buy a new one, although it's possible he did have one he wore to a prom or something and left it with his parents when he came to Summer Bay

The show should focus on introducing proper teens into the cast, and transition Bella, Nikau and Chloe from the direction in life limbo they're in. Treating them like teenagers is getting old and at the expense of the material the actors have to work with, and the Bay isn't lacking for adult characters. Ryder at least has direction and a qualification.

They want to have “teenage” type storylines (eg arguing with parental figures) but don’t seem to have any actual teenage characters. 

Nikau, Theo and Chloe should have all been teenagers when introduced. They are all immature and dependant on adults. Nikau’s job at the boatshed and lifeguarding are jobs that a highschooler would do on the weekend, and Theo has the attitude of a 14 year old. 

Felicity, while also immature, is independent and written like a young adult character. Ziggy and Felicity do treat the others like children despite being about 2 years older than them.

29 minutes ago, 16770052 said:

Nikau’s job at the boatshed and lifeguarding are jobs that a highschooler would do on the weekend

Indeed, back in the 90s, Damian helped Michael out at the boatshed after school and on the weekend.  It was a bit of a bonding experience for them.

Not sure when Vinnie started being a lifeguard, but my brother did a lifeguard qualification when in high school and then he did before school shifts lifeguarding at the school swimming pool while in his last year of high school.

5 hours ago, SunlightLurker said:

The show should focus on introducing proper teens into the cast, and transition Bella, Nikau and Chloe from the direction in life limbo they're in. Treating them like teenagers is getting old and at the expense of the material the actors have to work with, and the Bay isn't lacking for adult characters. Ryder at least has direction and a qualification.

By the time Bobby hit 21 (Ryder's age), even without the part where she was a foster mother and had gone into a business partnership with Ailsa at the diner, they'd developed two teen groups younger than her (Steven, Viv and Emma, who had all left before Bobby was 21, then Sophie, Haydn, Blake, Karen, Finn and Simon).

12 hours ago, 16770052 said:

Felicity, while also immature, is independent and written like a young adult character. Ziggy and Felicity do treat the others like children despite being about 2 years older than them.

Felicity at least has emotional baggage to explain her immaturity. It doesn't excuse her less impressive moments, and it has brought out the less likeable side of Tane during the stalker storyline, but she has developed as a character at least.

• 3 weeks later...

Theo is definitely getting all teenager storylines despite being a young adult (I assume 20-21 which is Ryder’s age). The “escape from an abusive/neglectful parent” storyline has been done many times before with 15/16 year olds. It doesn’t seem as impactful when they are over 18 though. 

Spoiler

Likewise, Mia arguing and wanting to take Chloe out of Summer Bay is treating Chloe like a teenager. 

Archived