Female characters dating older men

17 hours ago, 16770052 said:

I’m sure if Ziggy started dating Nikau, people will be like “Isn’t she too old for him?” when they are about 2 years different while Ziggy and Tane were probably 5-10 years different. Same with Ryder and Felicity.

But I’m sure nobody would comment on Bella and Emmett because the male is the older one.

Interesting. Youre probably right about Ziggy and Nikau but that's probably because she's been put with Tane and Dean both guys in the late 20s/early 30s so naturally people will probably see her as going with guys in the bracket. I do think it would be fine and I wouldn't bat an eye but others probably would.

Emmet and Bella would feel weird to me as not only is he older but he had a more mentor type role. I feel the same about sienna and Nikau but there's more a creep factor there as she is not only his mentor but manipulated him into sleeping with her.  I do wonder how people would have felt if it was Emmet that did that to Bella. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 09/03/2022 at 04:24, hapitoby said:

Interesting. Youre probably right about Ziggy and Nikau but that's probably because she's been put with Tane and Dean both guys in the late 20s/early 30s so naturally people will probably see her as going with guys in the bracket. I do think it would be fine and I wouldn't bat an eye but others probably  

Ziggy would be 23-24 at a push but seems old for her age.

On 12/03/2022 at 13:07, Homeandawayfan. said:

Well Don was old enough to be Mazza's dad. In 1995 he was 50 and she was about 26. Don was 24 when Maz was born so a young whippersnapper himself. However a 24 year old to a newborn baby is ancient in that respect.

I still remember Don wishing he had known Marilyn 20yrs Earlier and Pippa going "Don, she would have been about 8!"? That line just seems a bit dodgy now lol

And all of her marriages which have been to older blokes have gone down the Khazi!

Phil (Cheating)

Don (Byron's death which was the final straw)

Palmer (They just basically grew apart)

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/03/2022 at 14:56, 16770052 said:

The show seems to ignore ages quite a bit, which is fine since you shouldn’t be defined by your age haha

I find it strange though that the Ryder/Nikau/Bella/Theo group (20-21 years old) isn’t much younger than Ziggy (about 23) yet Ziggy seems more mature than them and hangs out with the late 20s/early 30s characters.

I also feel like Ryder’s group is given storylines that would have been given to the 16-18 year olds in the past. The Ryder and Theo challenge video storyline would definitely have been given to high schoolers if it were done years ago.

They're the closest in age to being teenagers, Bella and Ryder were around when they were teenagers. Unless the show introduces some actual high school age teens (which would involve introducing a new family unit with a teen and bringing back kids of established characters who are the right age, or SORASing Ava for example) they'll get the high schooler type storylines, unless it involves an actual high school setting because that hasn't been seen for a good while (and left Roo somewhat redundant a character for it).

The number of relationships and how far they've got also marks Ziggy more among the proper adults of the cast. She's been married to and separated from Brody, on and off with Dean, a fling with Tane that ended because of unresolved feelings for Dean.

2 hours ago, SunlightLurker said:

The number of relationships and how far they've got also marks Ziggy more among the proper adults of the cast. She's been married to and separated from Brody, on and off with Dean, a fling with Tane that ended because of unresolved feelings for Dean.

Ziggy certainly feels like more of an adult than Felicity.  According to the early 2019 21st birthday, Ziggy's 24 now.

Although I think Jacqui Purvis is probably closer to 30, Felicity acts like she's only very early 20s.  When Cash showed her the police investigation report, it said that their father's death was in 2006 and Cash keeps saying he was 12 at the time, so he's apparently supposed to be 28-29 now.  I can't remember for certain if Felicity once said she was about 6 when their father died, but that would make her only 22-23 now and barely older than Ryder, Nikau, etc.

It’s weird that Felicity is probably 1-2 years older than Nikau but Tane is like 10 years older than Felicity. But I couldn’t imagine Felicity and Nikau as a couple despite it being more realistic.

I think because the family treat Nikau like a child and he throws tantrums like a child, I think that Nikau is 16. The way Nikau handles everything is how a 16 year old handles everything. 

Archived