Was Nick/Lucinda/Ryan triangle one of the biggest yawn fests ever in a soap?

BobbyFridge

I think it was. I'm rewatching the episodes where all this plays out and every time any of them are on screen i skip forward, its just so boring and turgid. I feel like they could have given Nick and Lucinda something better to do. Nick as a policeman we could have seen him dealing with crime stories or something and Lucinda sometimes seems interesting and feisty but as soon as she is in the love triangle all three of them are just dull. Ryan i don't like as a villain, there were much more interesting and better developed villains in the show, he is slimy and scheming but not in an entertaining way. Thoughts on the love triangle? Did anyone actually enjoy it? Was it a popular storyline back in the day? It seems to be dragged on for a very long time, were viewers on the edge of their seats week after week waiting to find out which one Lucinda would go for or were viewers in a coma by the end of it?   

3 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

The 1991 chapter. However, 1992 when you put Shane in the Mix, business picked up.

I haven't got that far ahead yet. I seem to remember there is a scene where Shane sinks Ryan's car in the sea or something? I remember Ryan and Lucinda standing on the shore looking shocked and the car under the waves

On 17/02/2022 at 04:31, BobbyFridge said:

Nick as a policeman we could have seen him dealing with crime stories or something and Lucinda sometimes seems interesting and feisty but as soon as she is in the love triangle all three of them are just dull. 

I've not really seen much of 1991 - 1994, but did Nick have any memorable storylines? I keep reading and hearing about big moments like Sophie's pregnancy, Meg's death and Karen killing David/going to prison, and the discussion often involves characters Damien, Tug, Sarah, but people rarely mention Nick.

2 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

The Producers liked him and I suspect Alastair MacDougall probably got a fair portion of fangirl letters.

He did stay on quite a while after Lucinda left, didn't he? Though from what I remember, Dee Smart left earlier than expected due to some behind the scenes drama, so maybe he still had some time to go on his contract, and it was meant to line up with Lucinda's exit? 

42 minutes ago, adam436 said:

I've not really seen much of 1991 - 1994, but did Nick have any memorable storylines? I keep reading and hearing about big moments like Sophie's pregnancy, Meg's death and Karen killing David/going to prison, and the discussion often involves characters Damien, Tug, Sarah, but people rarely mention Nick.

He did stay on quite a while after Lucinda left, didn't he? Though from what I remember, Dee Smart left earlier than expected due to some behind the scenes drama, so maybe he still had some time to go on his contract, and it was meant to line up with Lucinda's exit? 

Nick didn't really have any memorable storylines. I think its a shame as i found him likeable enough. When he first comes into it he does the ''uptight police officer'' bit but it got on my nerves when you had people complaining just because he was doing his job. They broke the law but they expected him to let them off?! Then he was stuck with Lucinda and Ryan. Finally he was just looking after Shane for the rest of his run, usually this involved laying down the law every time Shane played up. 

Yes Lucinda left in Episode 1093 and Ryan in Episode 1145. I read somewhere that the producers were keen for Ryan to be a regular but the actor said no. I can't remember what he does in the show after Lucinda leaves, i will refresh my memory soon when i see those episodes but apparently his last scene is with Bobby and Roxy. Roxy was a little bit similar to Lucinda, i wonder if Ryan has much to do with Roxy.

16 hours ago, BobbyFridge said:

Yes Lucinda left in Episode 1093 and Ryan in Episode 1145. I read somewhere that the producers were keen for Ryan to be a regular but the actor said no. I can't remember what he does in the show after Lucinda leaves, i will refresh my memory soon when i see those episodes but apparently his last scene is with Bobby and Roxy. Roxy was a little bit similar to Lucinda, i wonder if Ryan has much to do with Roxy.

He left before she got to town. His final storylines revolved around Sophie (The David connection). She was hot for him but he wasn't so much into her (He did care for her in a way)

• 4 weeks later...

Wow Lou FINALLY left in the episodes i've got to. Sorry to any Lou fans here but i was glad to see the back of her, she was getting on my nerves so much by the time she went. What a terrible, overlong story this was and at the end she doesn't even have either of them. She leaves alone. All that time wasted on this crap and at the end she is alone anyway. Dreadful waste of time

Archived