Was Nick/Lucinda/Ryan triangle one of the biggest yawn fests ever in a soap?

BobbyFridge

On 13/03/2022 at 13:45, Homeandawayfan. said:

The Nick/Lucinda and Ryan love triangle was as snore worthy as the Shane/Daphne and Des love triangle in Neighbours 1985-1986.

That had its moments. Though some people probably thought Daph was better off with neither. Plus Shane himself was too restless settle down as was. And Peter O'Brien wanted out (He only planned to stay a Year and half, tops)

48 minutes ago, BobbyFridge said:

I've never been a fan of love triangle or will they/won't they/which one will she choose stories, they always bore me to sleep. 

The only time I've seen it work, in gaining Media atention.

A) Corrie  1983 Ken 1 Mike 0 on the Scoreboard at Old Trafford No Less

B) Family Affairs 2004 - Should Marc be with Yasmin or Geri? Put to public text vote, Yasmin won more than half the vote which the producers were not expecting so they rewrote it that so both girls rejected Marc!

53 minutes ago, CaptainHulk said:

That had its moments. Though some people probably thought Daph was better off with neither. Plus Shane himself was too restless settle down as was. And Peter O'Brien wanted out (He only planned to stay a Year and half, tops)

The only time I've seen it work, in gaining Media atention.

A) Corrie  1983 Ken 1 Mike 0 on the Scoreboard at Old Trafford No Less

B) Family Affairs 2004 - Should Marc be with Yasmin or Geri? Put to public text vote, Yasmin won more than half the vote which the producers were not expecting so they rewrote it that so both girls rejected Marc!

Yes the Deirdre/Mike/Ken one was quite iconic. Although that scene of Ken slamming Deirdre into the wall is one that gets repeated so many times.

I watched Family Affairs, don't remember that storyline at all. I remember Nikki Warrington having affairs with everyone including her stepson though lol  

5 minutes ago, BobbyFridge said:

I watched Family Affairs, don't remember that storyline at all. I remember Nikki Warrington having affairs with everyone including her stepson though lol  

That was a mess, mashed up the family, her husband Andrew left. She then went to Cheat on Luke, with Adrian, hubby number opne and her kids' father, resumed things with Luke when he came back and he himself had a fling with her daughter, Becky!

Show lived up to its name! Oh and there was a consensual Blood Sibling relationship which echoed Brookie's Nat and Georgia (less said about both, the better)

Yasmin/Marc/Geri was something that happened in the latter days of the series. 

• 4 months later...
On 17/02/2022 at 20:33, BobbyFridge said:

Nick didn't really have any memorable storylines. I think its a shame as i found him likeable enough. When he first comes into it he does the ''uptight police officer'' bit but it got on my nerves when you had people complaining just because he was doing his job. They broke the law but they expected him to let them off?! Then he was stuck with Lucinda and Ryan. Finally he was just looking after Shane for the rest of his run, usually this involved laying down the law every time Shane played up. 

Yes Lucinda left in Episode 1093 and Ryan in Episode 1145. I read somewhere that the producers were keen for Ryan to be a regular but the actor said no. I can't remember what he does in the show after Lucinda leaves, i will refresh my memory soon when i see those episodes but apparently his last scene is with Bobby and Roxy. Roxy was a little bit similar to Lucinda, i wonder if Ryan has much to do with Roxy.

Slightly off topic, but the point you raise about Nick being an uptight cop does play very nicely into that old mantra people bandy about with the police, that 'why don't you go and catch a real criminal' sentiment/stereotype. Let's just say that Nick and Chris Hale were never knowingly undersold on this point.

Okay technically a host of characters were speeding, but they were slightly over the limit in what seemed like empty rural roads. Yet there were Nick and Chris to spring into officious action and carry out the exact letter of the law.

Yet when Revhead was bashing up and robbing Alf, the shrug of the shoulders, what can you do, not enough evidence lines were brought out. Even Blake managed to find where Revhead was living (his own house) before Nick did. 

All of that being said, he was a likeable character and much better than slimeball Ryan.

I think the writers struggled to write viable stories for the young adults, perhaps that's why Matt had nothing to do for three years, because they just couldn't think of anything for him to do.

I don't have a problem with Lucinda struggling to choose between those two rather good looking young men (lucky girl!) but the storyline went on for far too long. I wonder did the actors open up their latest scripts, roll their eyes and think "Oh no, not again"? 

Stewarts Point wrote: I think the writers struggled to write viable stories for the young adults, perhaps that's why Matt had nothing to do for three years, because they just couldn't think of anything for him to do.

I agree with you on this. In those years the writers didn't seem to know what to do with the young adults. They wisely got rid of the dreadful Lance and Martin clown show but went to the other extreme. Adam became annoying but at least he had a personality I suppose. The characters who got the better storylines tended to be the teachers but that was probably always going to happen. When I think back to the other young adults from that era, I struggle to remember much about them apart from maybe one or two storylines. I only remember Donna from the domestic abuse storyline. What else did Roxy do apart from getting breast cancer and scuppering every relationship she ever had? Rob? I'm sure there are others but I'm struggling to remember them now ? The show has done a 180° turn since. I tune in sometimes these days and am not sure if there are even teenagers on it any more. 

Archived