How would Duncan have been written out if Ailsa had lived?

j.laur5

On 12/07/2020 at 01:46, adam436 said:

There was no need to make a big deal of it. The relationship between Don and Seb was the significant one and Seb didn't really need two father/grandfather figures. 

The same could be said for Alf's relationship with Rebecca and Bobby too. It was there, but there was no need for it to be so prominent onscreen, but I'm sure had Don left before Bobby and Rebecca, Alf would assumed a more prominent father/uncle role to them too. 

Again, Rebecca being Alf's niece is quite prominent in the late 90s. Which I think is good continuity and makes a lot of sense because, unlike say Bobby or Seb, Rebecca actually grew up knowing Alf as her uncle and he watched her grow up from a baby and little girl. So I think it's quite good that Uncle/Niece is their primary relationship and how they treat each other.

On 12/07/2020 at 01:46, adam436 said:

There was no need to make a big deal of it. The relationship between Don and Seb was the significant one and Seb didn't really need two father/grandfather figures. 

The same could be said for Alf's relationship with Rebecca and Bobby too. It was there, but there was no need for it to be so prominent onscreen, but I'm sure had Don left before Bobby and Rebecca, Alf would assumed a more prominent father/uncle role to them too. 

True, they did at least have Alf tell Leah & Vinnie that he knew about Don & Seb’s connection for a while before Don put it in the paper, so although he didn’t mention that he knew as Seb was his Great-Nephew, you could read between the lines if you wanted to. It’s a shame that Barbara didn’t return when Seb was around.

On 17/07/2020 at 08:18, c120701 said:

It’s a shame that Barbara didn’t return when Seb was around.

Funnily enough, the early 2000s was when H&A actually cared about its passed and was bringing back former characters on a regular basis. At that stage however, the last time she was seen was when she was stalking Don, wasn't it? She returned in 2005, with Barbara Stephens back in the role, but she had very few lines and she was just one of several returnees so the issue was not mentioned on onscreen. If she returned as part of the Seb storylines, long-terms would expect a resolution or at the very least closure and maybe the writers couldn't be bothered?  

But the big question is, what would they do with Barbara? Other than meeting her grandson onscreen to please long-term viewers? Barbara could try taking Seb away to live with her (I expect a story similar to the recent Paul/Gail/Harlow story we've seen on Neighbours), but would she really stand a chance after what happened in the 90s? I know Don and Alan had a volatile relationship,  but we saw his fatherly side with Bobby, Rebecca, Lou, Viv, Angel, Casey and Sam, so he was probably in a better position than Barbara to be Seb's guardian at that point. 

1 hour ago, adam436 said:

Funnily enough, the early 2000s was when H&A actually cared about its passed and was bringing back former characters on a regular basis. At that stage however, the last time she was seen was when she was stalking Don, wasn't it? She returned in 2005, with Barbara Stephens back in the role, but she had very few lines and she was just one of several returnees so the issue was not mentioned on onscreen. If she returned as part of the Seb storylines, long-terms would expect a resolution or at the very least closure and maybe the writers couldn't be bothered?  

But the big question is, what would they do with Barbara? Other than meeting her grandson onscreen to please long-term viewers? Barbara could try taking Seb away to live with her (I expect a story similar to the recent Paul/Gail/Harlow story we've seen on Neighbours), but would she really stand a chance after what happened in the 90s? I know Don and Alan had a volatile relationship,  but we saw his fatherly side with Bobby, Rebecca, Lou, Viv, Angel, Casey and Sam, so he was probably in a better position than Barbara to be Seb's guardian at that point. 

But unfortunately history can get so messy at times with rewrites of family members or ruining past characters  as just look at Donald who had two siblings in early years and yet in 2001 he said to Seb he was only child and Barbara being most normal Stewart sister to most insane Stewart sister in 1996.

I remember Alisa telling Alf that Barbara normal one out of you sisters . 

So sometimes I think it’s better leave history untouched if going makes messy or ruin characters. 

I think most people probably weren’t to bothered with Barbara changed of character in 1996 as most fans probably ether weren’t watching when she made guest appearance in early years or forgotten about her. 

From what I remember, Barbara was completely glossed over during the whole reveal of Seb's identity and Donald accepting him as Alan's son. She is extremely briefly seen in a flashback Donald has about Alan's death, around the time of discovering who Seb is.  I can't remember if she is mentioned in passing, but unless I'm mistaken there's certainly never any discussion about them meeting which is ridiculous when you think about it. I like to think that it all happened off-screen, at least. Barbara deserved to meet Alan's son (her grandson).

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, sindikatas said:

I remember reading on this forum that original episode 4000 scripts had Barbara apologising to Don of what she did and he said not to worry about. But those lines did not make it to the screen.

I think Sarah and Alf also have a conversation but that scene was cut.

I think if Duncan had really went to live with Morag with Alisa still alive then could rift with Alf and Alisa marriage and eventually  break up and Donald calls Morag and Morag redeems herself by getting back together and then form then on Morag mellows .

Archived