If the Early Years reruns on 7Two were never axed, would you stay loyal or stop watching after a while?

If the Early Years reruns on 7Two were never cancelled (or put on "hiatus" as 7Two claim), would you continue to watch or stop at a certain point?

I'm not sure if I would have continued to watch past 2001, maybe I would have, but from what I have seen, in 2000, the show became a whole different animal and was just different, but there were good story lines though.

7 hours ago, Luigi Severus Fletcher said:

I'm not sure if I would have continued to watch past 2001, maybe I would have, but from what I have seen, in 2000, the show became a whole different animal and was just different, but there were good story lines though.

The show definitely changed for the worse in 2000 (I started a whole thread about that being a revamp year), but I think mid 2003ish would have been it for me. 

Despite H&A's heyday being well and truly over, there were some good moments between 2001 and mid 2003 I'd love to rewatch such as Charlotte's death, Shauna's kidnapping and Dani's rape, Ailsa returning as a hallucination, Vinnie and Leah as a married couple, Fisher's exit, the 2001 London episodes, Seb Miller's early stuff (i.e. the eating disorder, the dyslexia, connecting with Don), Will and Gypsy's "wedding", Miles and Alex's car crash, Sally and Flynn's courtship, Summer Bay's bicentenary(?) with all the returnees and Jude Lawson's stint (he's very unrated as a character!). 

There are moments I would equally not want to rewatch (pretty much any scene featuring Brodie Hanson and most of the Sutherland-centric storylines, which unfortunately, felt like quite a bit), but I think the good still outweighed the bad during 2001-2003.

I think around the time Kane returns as a regular, Beth and Rhys get together (they were just awful as a couple and really didn't work!), the bizarre Sutherland twin switch and a lack of Donald Fisher would stop me from watching any more. 

I knew it seemed to have gotten lucklustre during 2000. I watched a few episodes (via some DVDs) and they seemed to be quite a chore to watch. I guess once 2000 hit, the magic left, though, these days. the current episodes are actually pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'd have stopped watching too, though I can't pinpoint where. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed those early years episodes. A lot of old TV I enjoyed when I was a teenager turned to ashes when I saw it again as an adult. There was something endearing about classic H&A and I don't think it was all down to my nostalgia for them. I stopped watching it regularly in 1996/1997 but that largely coincided with my moving away/working/travelling. I never really went back to it again. Somewhere in the meantime, the show lost whatever it was that I'd loved. Like most long-running TV shows, H&A has had to evolve and move with the times - it might not be still on the air if it hadn't. But for me, it lost its magic. I tried to start watching again when the Nashs were in Summer Bay House but that was the end of it for me.

On 25/05/2019 at 08:13, Red Ranger 1 said:

Oh, I was there to the bitter end, whenever it had been.

*"Fortunate Son" plays*

Me: *grizzled veteran voice over* We were young men then, little more than boys... Hell, some of us weren't boys but you see where I'm going with this...

We knew these early years weren't gonna last, we made the most of them. We saw things... A lotta things. Not all of 'em good. *coughs* Bunyips!*cough*  *sneezes*T-shirt enterprise*s  One guy in my Platoon named McDonald would pop off at the mere mention of certain couplings.... Almost worked himself into a lather at the mere mention of David Croft.  His frequent use of the word "sux" and "sucko!" and almost demonic glee in his hated character's fortunes were character trademark.

Another had  a Punked-out Flathead for an Avatar; he just dug the way the guy got down and got right back up again. The next guy, an older statesman, from a little town not too far from me, famous for Mustard and Canary-based sports teams frequently gave his two cents. He Didn't care much for Jack Wilson; I guess he's not to everyone's taste.

Lastly, Big Danno always kept everyone in line; fair guy, but wasn't afraid to swing the big stick if need be. 

In all we saw some 1800+ episodes.

Would I want anything different from these early years? Hell no. Do I miss these reruns; You bet your ass!

There would be a shot of me facing west til fade with the flag blowing!?

Archived