The Summer Bay Earthquake

-Andrew-

I've had too much free time recently, so I decided to to edit the 1996 earthquake to appear slightly more end-of-the-world than it actually was. I originally intended to have voices echoing over the places being destroyed; e.g. Shane talking about how good the house will be for them, students telling Don how much he's helped them, etc, but the disaster sequences are so quick that I couldn't pace them to fit. 

I've always wondered... how did the Australian public respond to the earthquake story? Because as far as I know, earthquakes in Aus are not too much stronger, nor more common than here in the UK. So did it appear as quite outlandish/ bonkers to have one so destructive hit the bay?

There had been a big earthquake in Newcastle,  New South Wales, a few years prior to this which is where they got the idea for the storyline and probably how they got away with it without too many eyebrows being raised 

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome edit. Makes the earthquake more menacing!

1994, 1995 and 1996 seemed to be when the show got better than it had been. More magic was added to it than there already was, the stories got better, the overall feel was improved and it got funnier. Really makes 7Two's axing of it and fake promise of it returning even more painful.

Archived