Did we have too many younger adult in early 90s?.

j.laur5

Personally I think we had too many younger adult characters in the 90s like Roxy/Lucinda/Donna/Adam/Nick/Matt/Luke/Grant.

They never seemed to have memorable storylines or even memorable character personality's. They just seemed like background characters. People complain about there being too many younger adults in recent years but at least they had memorable storylines and character personalities whether good or bad.  

I found it odd how Roxy who is supposed to be in her early 20s was written as having so many scenes with middle aged  ladies like Alisa and Irene. 

I would had much preferred to have less of them and be able to have a couple more older characters like keeping Morag or Floss and Neville or even making Colleen regular in 1990 after Celia left. 

Rewatching the 1994/5 episodes, it struck me that I really liked the teen group and the middle-aged characters from that era, but Roxy, Rob, Donna & (to some extent) Travis were all so bland. At least Steven had the Dodge storyline, and for all that Kelly could be annoying, she at least had some personality.

On 07/05/2018 at 11:50, j.laur5 said:

People complain about there being too many younger adults in recent years but at least they had memorable storylines and character personalities whether good or bad.  

By memorable storylines you mean love triangles, crime and drugs? ?

I don't think there was as it seemed to be and issue as they were spread out over different periods - of the ones you mentioned, Roxy only just (if at all!) overlapped with Lucinda and Donna, Grant never shared air-time with Luke or Nick. I'd say 4-5 is an acceptable amount given the size of the cast, which is what we generally had in the 90s (bar a few "overlap periods" such as when Ben, Grant, Lance, Martin, Matt, Adam were all around for a few months in 1990), as opposed to the 9-10+ we have now. 

I actually found the 90s twenty-somethings more memorable (with a few exception such as Grant) in the 90s more interesting than the current cast. 

5 hours ago, Kitkat89 said:

It struck me that I really liked the teen group and the middle-aged characters from that era, but Roxy, Rob, Donna & (to some extent) Travis were all so bland. At least Steven had the Dodge storyline, and for all that Kelly could be annoying, she at least had some personality.

Were Rob and Donna axed? I feel like they might have been, since they were pretty bland and didn't do much. Travis was mostly memorable because of his romance with Rebecca. 

The mid-late 90s had a bunch of short-lived and somewhat bland teens and twenty-somethings. The teen gang that followed the iconic gang (Aaron, Casey, Liam, Tegan, Joey, Stephanie) were not as memorable though - I liked them all (well.. I didn't actively dislike them!), but all except for Joey were gone within two years.

On 12/05/2018 at 09:00, adam436 said:

I don't think there was as it seemed to be and issue as they were spread out over different periods - of the ones you mentioned, Roxy only just (if at all!) overlapped with Lucinda and Donna.

Were Rob and Donna axed? I feel like they might have been, since they were pretty bland and didn't do much. Travis was mostly memorable because of his romance with Rebecca. 

The mid-late 90s had a bunch of short-lived and somewhat bland teens and twenty-somethings. The teen gang that followed the iconic gang (Aaron, Casey, Liam, Tegan, Joey, Stephanie) were not as memorable though - I liked them all (well.. I didn't actively dislike them!), but all except for Joey were gone within two years.

Roxy debuted a month after Lucinda left and left just after Donna arrived. Roxy was axed for Donna if I remember.

Donna left on her own accord but I’m not sure about Rob, i heard he had enough and just quit.

Travis had a history with Summer Bay and used this to bring in Joel and his family.

I heard that all the teens except Joey, Tegan and Stephanie, were axed as the characters had run their course. I could be wrong 

H&A has always had youngsters right from the pilot. It had about 8 or 9 regular characters who were under 20. And they were more watchable and rebellious than the Ramsay Street teens who were very well behaved in comparison. Difference is, the 1988 H&A brat pack were never villainous or malicious, just rebellious. Lance and Martin were the Del Boy and Rodders of Summer bay.

The show was much lighter then - sure we had Carly's rape and Roo deceiving Frank, but it was balanced out by comedy from characters like Lance, Martin, Floss, Neville and the sibling dynamic between Alf and Celia. 

The show today, and perhaps even by late 1990, had lost that lighter element to a large degree. 

Archived