Did Barbara know about Donald and Morag?

Sally Keating

Obviously the truth came out in 1989. We never found out what Barbara's reaction was in those  episodes,  to finding out her husband had slept with her sister before they divorced.

Or maybe she found out back when it happened, and it was the reason for their divorce? We know from a flashback that she was jealous of Morag flirting with Donald but that's all.

Has it ever been said either way?

Good topic.

In preparation of Rebecca I's visit to Bobby in early 89, Don confirmed that Barbara was well aware of Bobby's full parentage and wanted to ensure that Don was sensitive in how he explained it to Rebecca but that it had to be done sooner rather than later (you could perceive it that she viewed this as his responsibility). So we know that she discovered they'd had a child together in 1989 but whether she knew of the affair itself before this isn't clear. It would be surprising, as she was very quick to work out that Morag was Bobby's real Mum (she was straight on the phone to Alf after Bobby visited her herself, initially thinking that Barbara was her Mum); if she'd known that Morag and Don's flirting had resulted in sex, she'd have also worked out that Don was the Dad at that point (with everyone knowing about Richard's infertility) and would have gone straight to Bobby (who she thought highly of) with that information.

To be honest, 1988 Barbara seemed so over Donald by that point that I doubt she'd have been that bothered! She was a pretty straight forward character with a dry humour, treating both Donald and Morag with diplomatic indifference if anything, so I imagine she'd have dealt with it in good spirits (if she hadn't found out already back in 1970). The reason for their separation was cited as Don's personality / cold fathering style plus her wanting to break free into her own career as a science teacher.

16 minutes ago, harrietjames said:

It could have worked the other way - Don slept with Morag because the marriage was over rather than they divorced because they slept together.

Well, Don did say that Barbara had "not long had Alan" and was quite (naturally) stressed. Given that Don was such a crap father the first time around, maybe Barbara seeing this was the beginning of the end for them (and them having Rebecca 2 - 3 years later was their last chance saloon) Also, in Donald's own words to Pippa, Morag and Barbara had just had one of their "regular, inevitable spats" and that Morag, "whilst not being a promiscuous woman, isn't afraid to use sex as a weapon" (one of the few times that word was used on the show ;) ).

Have to say, Don will always be one of my favourite ever soap characters (Norman just had so much screen presence) but he was certainly no saint. Having sex with his barren sister-in-law whilst his wife is stuck at home with a young baby... could easily be EastEnders in 2018 :blink: But, if anything, his complete failure to practice what he preached makes him all the more "human" to me :)

On January 23, 2018 at 12:59, Sally Keating said:

Obviously the truth came out in 1989. We never found out what Barbara's reaction was in those  episodes,  to finding out her husband had slept with her sister before they divorced.

Or maybe she found out back when it happened, and it was the reason for their divorce? We know from a flashback that she was jealous of Morag flirting with Donald but that's all.

Has it ever been said either way?

Great minds think alike! I am currently writing a fan fiction and was going to ask about this because I wanted to include this

Does anyone know if Alf addressed this situation with Donald considering he cheated on Alf's sister with his other sister? 

11 hours ago, Summer's Bay said:

Great minds think alike! I am currently writing a fan fiction and was going to ask about this because I wanted to include this

Does anyone know if Alf addressed this situation with Donald considering he cheated on Alf's sister with his other sister? 

Annoyingly it doesn't seem to be focused on at all from that angle. I just skimmed a bunch of episodes from that period.

Barbara may have been well and truly over Donald by 1989  but you'd think she'd still be upset at Morag for such a betrayal (sleeping with your sister's husband out of spite is  an awful thing to do). Even if she found out all those years later you'd think she'd still have some choice words to say to Morag about doing such an evil thing. But that side of things isn't really mentioned at all in the fallout, it's all just about the Bobby angle.

Like you say, you'd think Alf would have some choice words for Donald too, for cheating on his sister. But as far as I could see, there was nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. Rebecca was still at school when she first showed up.

Alf probably would have clocked Don one in another soap. "One of my flamn' sisters wasn't enough for you?!"

Wasn't implied that both Don and Morag were absolutely caned/smashed/hammered when they... made Bobby? (Not excusing it)

Archived