Immigration Debate

Blaxland 89

Will all the current media attention UKIP and Donald Trump are getting at the moment it's really making me want to watch the 1997 immigration debate episode with made up Australian politician Christine McKenzie. It seems even more relevant now to the UK and USA. It was soooo well written. It was all there. Justine and Aaron being brother and sister, but Vinnie being her girlfriend changing her original opinion. Alf just giving  a job to David Lee (lol) but being conflicted in his belief. All the characters, because being written so well, all had very different opinions that fitted them to a T.

Modern producers of the show couldn't create on episode like that in a million years. 

On 10/21/2016 at 0:19 PM, Blaxland 89 said:

Will all the current media attention UKIP and Donald Trump are getting at the moment it's really making me want to watch the 1997 immigration debate episode with made up Australian politician Christine McKenzie. It seems even more relevant now to the UK and USA. It was soooo well written. It was all there. Justine and Aaron being brother and sister, but Vinnie being her girlfriend changing her original opinion. Alf just giving  a job to David Lee (lol) but being conflicted in his belief. All the characters, because being written so well, all had very different opinions that fitted them to a T.

Modern producers of the show couldn't create on episode like that in a million years. 

It was a different time

• 2 weeks later...

The Chloe/Jack storyline with the racism shown by her father, was quite well written.  His attitude reflected the views of alot of people back then, building up to the riots in the ?early 2000's in sydney.

Parallels could be drawn between attitudes such as those from her father, to many people against muslims in today's australia.  

I'm sorry, but the only types of Muslims that get targetted by so-called "racists" are the ones who marry child brides, try to bring Sharia law into this country, and recruit terrorists and fighters against our country. The indoctrination of young girls, making them wear burqas and full body coverings in public as women, and in general their weird and harmful rituals, do not win Muslims many favours.

• 1 month later...

yes it is, I personally think they should do it now, but have it based where multiple characters have it happen, a Muslim, an Asian, an African, and an Indigenous Australian. I think now the "Wog" words to label Greek and Italian migrants is old and so I would have al those different backgrounds being targeted and those that support them being targeted as well, it should end with those right wing Conservatives being arrested for violence based on race hate

Archived