Does anyone think Colleen sort of replaces Ailsa ?.

j.laur5

I know Ailsa and Colleen are very different characters and Colleen was already a regular for a year before Ailsa died and so I know it was not a direct replacement at least not at first.

But when I look at how Colleen was used in the show after Ailsa died she seemed to have a similar role to what Ailsa had. Colleen was the older woman you always see in the Diner and she seemed to take over Ailsa's role as being the one to tell Alf off even though Alf took more notice of Ailsa than Colleen. Colleen seemed to gain a close relationship with Leah and Sally and become like a grandma to their children VJ and little Pippa. I reckon if Ailsa had been around see would  of become like   grandma to VJ and little Pippa as Ailsa had close bond with both  Sally and Leah. I reckon it would have developed I also even thought  it was different type of rivalry.  Colleen had strong rivalry with Morag and while Morag  did soften up towards most people it was a long time before she started to respect Colleen and Colleen to respect her .

I can't help but wonder if Judy Nunn had stayed on the show post 2000,  I'd rather until now or  at least some more years  to come, then maybe Colleen  might not have lasted as long on the show as she did. The PTB might have felt Colleen did not  have much purpose if they had Ailsa to be the woman always in the Diner and the one to put Alf in his place. Also to be a mother figure to Leah and Sally and a Grandma figure to VJ and Little Pippa.  Also Ailsa would have been more useful as she could take in teenagers and be the third  older woman on the show alongside Irene/Shelley  and later Beth and sometimes four when Morag was recurring on the show.

Irene would have stayed working at School as School Registrar..

Hmmm interesting post! But... no not really. I understand what you're saying about the similarities, but they're not great ones. No more than saying Sarah replaced Sophie because they have long dark hair and their names start with "S".

Did Ailsa ever gossip about stuff? What about Irene? She's a bit younger than Ailsa and Colleen.

I was just going to say the same I know Irene started a long time before Ailsa died but I think a closer replacement for Ailsa would of been Irene, especially the women in her later years as opposed to when she first joined the show.

Archived