It's not always summer in Summer Bay

Guest QUIET ACHIEVER

Home and Away actors struggle as freezing temperatures sweep through a normally sunny Summer Bay

JUNE 24, 2014 12:00PM

938002-1761b41e-fb24-11e3-85eb-f305a31fe

Winter Bay ... The usually sunny Summer Bay looking more like an Alaskan fishing village. Picture: Instagram Source:Instagram

IT seems this freezing weather is taking its toll on everyone, including residents from one of our sunniest locations!

Demi Harman, who plays Sasha Bezmel in Home and Away, posted this pic with fellow cast mate Johnny Ruffo looking very ‘un-summery’ on location on Sydney’s Northern Beaches.

“Literally the windiest/coldest day for 2014. GG weather. You nailed us today. #windybay #notsummerbay #frozen #location @johnny_ruffo @andrew_j_morley @lynnemcgranger x.” She wrote.

Much of southeast Australia, including Summer Bay (aka Palm Beach), is in the grip of a cold snap with gale-force winds and driving rain lashing South Australia, Victoria and New South Wales. Snow was also falling in the Australian Alps.

938977-6f6f7088-fb33-11e3-85eb-f305a31fe

That's more like it ... this is what most of us expect Summer Bay to look like all year round. Source: News Limited

939003-5094142a-fb33-11e3-85eb-f305a31fe

Weather extremes ... A bushfire threatened the area where Home and Away is filmed late last year. Picture John Grainger Source: News Limited

Source: http://www.news.com.au/

It's true that we're going through a cold patch with the weather. It's been very windy down in Melbourne as well so far.

Not surprising considering there is four seasons in a year, so it's not summer all year round despite how it may be depicted in Home and Away :P

To be honest, I don't think they should pretend it to be summer all year. It would have been more interesting and informative for us foreigners if they showed us the weather conditions as they are. We hear very little from down under, and H&A is your biggest export when it comes to television/film. Some people think because of H&A, that Australians have summer all year.

And more variable weather conditions could make the storylines more varieted, if we didn't only see the characters sun bathing and surfing on one side, and in extreme weather conditions as terrible storms on the other side. What about all the weather conditions between those.

To be honest, I don't think they should pretend it to be summer all year. It would have been more interesting and informative for us foreigners if they showed us the weather conditions as they are. We hear very little from down under, and H&A is your biggest export when it comes to television/film. Some people think because of H&A, that Australians have summer all year.

Many parts of Australia do have summer all year round, unfortunately Sydney is not one of them. Having said that, it is pretty warm for nine months of the year so it's not that much of a stretch.

Many parts of Australia do have summer all year round, unfortunately Sydney is not one of them. Having said that, it is pretty warm for nine months of the year so it's not that much of a stretch.

Ok, but it does sometimes rain, I suppose. It still would have been good if they showed different kind of weather, not just the extremes. And Summer bay is meant to be not far away from Sidney, since they are sometimes talking about going to the city.

Ok, but it does sometimes rain, I suppose. It still would have been good if they showed different kind of weather, not just the extremes. And Summer bay is meant to be not far away from Sidney, since they are sometimes talking about going to the city.

If it is raining on the day that they film outdoor location scenes, then usually we do see it raining on screen too. The characters still might be in light clothes, but for example the weather this week in Sydney (despite the 'freezing reports') are as follows:

THU: 21 FRI: 21 SAT: 21 SUN: 17 - and don't forget that it is winter over here.

We consider that cool/mild - whereas in the UK, for example, those temperatures would be seen as summer weather (correct me if I'm wrong) so in a sense it really is summer all year round (even if we don't think those temperatures are warm over here).

If it is raining on the day that they film outdoor location scenes, then usually we do see it raining on screen too. The characters still might be in light clothes, but for example the weather this week in Sydney (despite the 'freezing reports') are as follows:

THU: 21 FRI: 21 SAT: 21 SUN: 17 - and don't forget that it is winter over here.

We consider that cool/mild - whereas in the UK, for example, those temperatures would be seen as summer weather (correct me if I'm wrong) so in a sense it really is summer all year round (even if we don't think those temperatures are warm over here).

Hihi... Is 21 degrees winter weather??? :P Well, even with cold wind which make it feels much colder, it is still summer temperatures. I have heard from a friend who has been in Sydney that it feels much colder when it's about 15-23 degrees down there, than it does in Norway. Maybe it has something to do with wind and cold drawts/gusts?

It is actually colder (between 8-16 and a cold breeze) in South-eastern (inland) part of Norway this week (was warmer last week, with temperatures around 25, and no wind). And it is in the middle of the summer. But it's a bit warmer along the coastline, at least in south.

I do understand now that it is not so strange with summer all year in Summer bay. But I have read so much about freezing H&A actors in the past few years, and sometimes they seem frozen when they are taking a swim or staying at the beach. I can see niples on their skin. So I really started to wonder...

Yes, I've seen it raining, but not so often. But maybe more often now than earlier on. First time I noticed "normal" rain (not storms) was in 2008 season when Jazz and Miles were walking under an umbrella. It has probably been showed earlier, but I didn't notice it. Have watched the show (on and off) since 1993 season.

Mostly that's the northern part of Australia like the Northern Territory and North Queensland. Everywhere else temperatures fluctuate depending on what season is taking place.

Our winters aren't extremely cold, but our summers are absolute scorchers compared to Britain's for instance.

I do understand now that it is not so strange with summer all year in Summer bay. But I have read so much about freezing H&A actors in the past few years, and sometimes they seem frozen when they are taking a swim or staying at the beach. I can see niples on their skin. So I really started to wonder...

I've wondered about it before because when I read reports of 'hot weather' in the UK and then they reveal the temperature to be 19 degrees I am baffled. To me anything below 21 degrees is chilly and below 18 it's 'really cold' and heater weather. Having said that, I often see tourists in shorts and t-shirts when its 18-20 degrees over here. So maybe it doesn't seem as cold to people who are used to it being 4 degrees and below in winter.

Also I think when it is usually warm and you are used to it being warm, when there is a cool change and the temperature drops down by ten degrees or so, that contrast feels quite cold against the skin. The heat from the sun isn't as 'hot' in Europe as it is over here. There are many times during winter when the temperature is 18 degrees, but when sitting in the sun it actually feels like 25 degrees and it gets pretty stuffy.

I think they used to represent the cooler temperatures better in the first couple of years of the show. I remember some of the characters wearing winter coats from time to time during 88/89. I think Neighbours swap and change all the time. Sometimes you see them in winter coats and it genuinely looks wintery on screen, but then other times they try to make it look warm all the time and Melbourne gets cooler than most parts of Australia during winter (15-18 degrees on average during June/July/August).

They probably wouldn't.couldn't change the format now, but I think showing it to be cooler with characters wearing a different kinds of wardrobe during winter and winter storylines would make the show more varied. That's one of the things I liked about Heartbreak High - also set in Sydney.

Thanks for posting the article.
I'm loving the comparisions of weather, so I'll put in my 2 cents worth...
My summer in Australia is hot. I live in NW Victoria. If we don't see 30-40 for 3 months it's not summer! And today (it's winter now), the temperature will only reach 13, so it's really cold today.

I think it really depends on where you come from and what you're used to as to whether you think 15 is hot or not...I'd love to see some people from England come to where I live in the summer. I honestly think you'd all die if you think anything above 20 is hot :lol:

Archived