Rush and Chris Hemsworth

Guest Psychic Wombat

I haven't seen this thing, but I have always thought that he was fairly good at his acting. Never understood why he was called " the plank" and have always thought he was jugded by his looks.... You can still be good at doing something even if you are pretty.... He is not a very serious charachter actor, but not bad either. His looks is a big reason why he is a Hollywood star, because looks is a big factor in Hollywood... And with his looks he is most suited to action things. But that doesn't mean that he isn't a decent actor.

I've always found it absolutely amazing that of all the people that leave H&A, he's gone on to do better than most. I could never stand him as an actor on H&A, thought he was absolutely terrible and so wooden.

I haven't actually seen him in any of his bigger roles since so can't comment on what he's like now, but evidently he's doing something right!

Chris has to be commended for his progression to Hollywood since he left Home and Away. When he was on Home and Away I never thought he stood out amongst the other actors in terms of quality, but it's amazing that he's got this far and his acting has improved a lot since he left Home and Away back in 2007.

On the other hand someone like Todd Lasance who played Aden Jefferies was brilliant on Home and Away, yet he hasn't made it to the big time in Hollywood and he's only acting in roles within Australia.

Chris has to be commended for his progression to Hollywood since he left Home and Away. When he was on Home and Away I never thought he stood out amongst the other actors in terms of quality, but it's amazing that he's got this far and his acting has improved a lot since he left Home and Away back in 2007.

On the other hand someone like Todd Lasance who played Aden Jefferies was brilliant on Home and Away, yet he hasn't made it to the big time in Hollywood and he's only acting in roles within Australia.

it has to do with the looks... Everything in Hollywood is about the looks... Chris Hemsworth and his brother looks very Hollywood and action movies like.... It was like they were headhunted for filming in LA. Few looks like them..

Todd Lasance hasn´t the right looks at all... he is not that handsome or very handsome at all... They worked very hard on him both in H&A and in Spartacus... I think it is sad that everything is about looks.... I am not saying that he is ugly, but he is a normal looking guy and LA don´t want normal... especially not for crime and action series and it seems like that is what he wants...

And I don´t think he is good enough to be a deep character actor over there, neither is Chris Hemsworth... he is only doing action and adventure stuff..

I am watching Todd L on a tv network (VOX) here which is currently airing The crownies.... with Todd L (and Indiana Evans) and I don´t think he is that impressive in it... Even if it is a bit the writers fault (it is a badly written show, time pace and storylines), he could have been much better.

• 2 weeks later...

I did see the trailers and go "Hang on, isn't that..?"It is curious how some people become stars and others don't, I think it may just be a case of right place, right time, and once you've been offered one big role you're more likely to be offered another.I never thought Chris Hemsworth's acting was that bad on HA, nor did he stand out as especially good, he seemed about the same level as the other.

I think Todd Lasance was probably helped out by having a lot of intense and emotional storylines so he could show off what he could do.Don't think there's much difference in looks between him and Chris, he seemed to have just as many people swooning over him(even Channel 5 continuity announcers!).I found his performances in Crownies interesting because I got the feeling his character in that was basically what he(and probably Bevan Lee)wanted Aden to be like, until the new writers took over and his character arc went for a wander.

I've always found it absolutely amazing that of all the people that leave H&A, he's gone on to do better than most. I could never stand him as an actor on H&A, thought he was absolutely terrible and so wooden.

I haven't actually seen him in any of his bigger roles since so can't comment on what he's like now, but evidently he's doing something right!

I think Chris Hemsworth said it himself earlier this year when he was interviewed and someone referenced his work on "Home And Away". Hemsworth said he was surprised he got any further opportunities anywhere making comment on how bad his acting was on that show. Somewhat of a refreshing departure from most former soapies who blame the soap opera itself for their bad performances on it.

I have nothing against Chris Hemsworth and thought he was pretty good in "Rush" but lets face facts here: He was one of the least experienced actors ever cast by H&A and really had rode a wave of luck and good fortune since. Good fortune to have been cast on H&A given how green he was as evidenced by his performance on the soap, lucky because H&A has a solid reputation in terms of getting their cast local exposure and also serving as a springboard to Hollywood and lucky again that he had "the look" that Hollywood is looking to cast.

But yes there are far more talented actors that the Australian television industry has churned out over the past decade. I'm telling you right now, that "Puberty Blues" series is chock full of them. Honestly though of all the former soapies that are trying to jump start careers in Hollywood, the only one I'm really rooting on is Esther Anderson and it simply comes down to the fact that she seems to be a genuinely nice person. It's hard to get a gauge on the "CW kids" sometimes because they are so bright eyed, it's hard to get anything real out of them, therefore it's hard for me to make a connection with any of them.

Archived