Trust in Me

Guest Danni02

Thank you Red Ranger 1, Sarah, Spotd1 and RoRo90 for the comments.

Chapter 61

Charlie was sitting in the office at the restaurant. It was the end of the night and Brax had sent all of the other staff home, leaving the two of them alone. Charlie occasionally did the accounts for Brax back when she was working as a police officer, so this was something that Charlie felt comfortable getting thrown into, it wasn’t completely new territory to her like the rest of the work in the restaurant was. “Thought I’d bring you some comfort food,” Brax smiled as he appeared in the office with a tub of ice-cream and two spoons in his hand. “You getting on okay there?”

“Yeah, this I can do.” Charlie smiled as she looked up to her husband. Apart from the hen party and a few more tables, they’d been reasonably quiet, and at just past 9pm, the restaurant was empty, Charlie glad that the hen party girls, or more in particular, the blond one with a thing for Brax were gone.

“Well maybe I’ll just stick you in the office every night then.” Brax laughed as he put the ice-cream down on the desk and pulled the lid off.

“So you can flirt with your customers without my watchful eye on you?” Charlie questioned as she took a spoon from Brax’s hand and immediately dug into the ice-cream. She’d noticed he’d brought out the coconut flavour, which was her favourite.

Brax looked nervously to Charlie. “I don’t want to flirt with any customers,” Brax shook his head. “Although she did leave me a rather nice looking 20 dollar bill.” Brax took it from his pocket and waved it in Charlie’s face.

“And that’s in your pocket?” Charlie questioned. “It’s not going in the tip pot so the staff can have equal shares?” The restaurant had a tip pot where they left all the tips that were equally shared out at the end of every two weeks so that the kitchen staff got their share. Brax felt that was the fairest way.

Brax gave a little laugh. “I was going to put it in later,” Brax said and Charlie raised her eyebrows, unsure if he was telling the truth or not. “Honestly,” Brax added before he sat on the edge of the desk and took a spoonful of the ice-cream. “But if you want to head home,” Brax said. “I’ll lock up here.”

“Uhh,” Charlie shook her head. “You just brought snacks,” Charlie pointed to the ice-cream tub before putting more on her spoon. “Why would I ever leave now?” Charlie said before putting the spoonful of ice-cream into her mouth.

“Well in that case I’ll crack open a bottle of champers,” Brax gave his wife a smile. “Make the most of the night.”

“I hope you’re talking about non-alcoholic stuff, for me at least.” Charlie looked at Brax questioningly.

“Of course,” Brax nodded. “I hate the stuff anyways.”

“Seem to remember you drinking a few glasses at the dinner we had here before opening night,” Charlie said as she once again took a spoonful of ice-cream. “Thought you’d be converted.”

“No,” Brax shook his head. “My head did not appreciate me drinking champagne the next morning,” Brax said and Charlie gave a little laugh. “I’ll just go get you a drink though.” Brax smiled as he went to stand up but Charlie stopped him.

“Mmm no,” Charlie held her hand out, brushing it against his thigh. “This is hitting the spot rather nicely for me.” Charlie put her spoon back into the ice-cream, going for some more.

“Alright,” Brax laughed lightly as he leaned back against the desk, a little closer to the seat that Charlie was sitting on this time. “Ice-cream and chats will do fine.”

“Chats?” Charlie questioned.

“Well,” Brax shrugged a little. “You seem content siting there eating ice-cream so I thought -” Charlie gave a little laugh as she watched Brax running one hand over the edge of the desk, something Charlie knew Brax did when he was nervous.

“We can chat,” Charlie smiled. “I actually wanted to talk to you about our whole living situation anyways.” Charlie took more ice-cream in her mouth, to give herself a little more time to make sure it was what she really wanted.

“Oh yeah?” Brax’s face lit up at the news, happy at the prospect of being asked home.

“I miss you,” Charlie exhaled. “It’s strange not waking up to your face.”

“I know what you mean,” Brax exhaled. “I’ll turn around in the night and put my arm out expecting to find you then I remember I’m not going too,” Brax pursed his lips together. “And don’t get me wrong, I’m very grateful to Bianca for letting me stay but....well it’s not home is it?”

“No it won’t be,” Charlie bit her lip. “Brax, I think that....we’ll no, I don’t think it, but, I really want you to move back home,” Charlie said and a rather large smile crept onto Brax’s face. “Don’t think I fully trust you because I’m still a little wary, but, we can work on that with you back home, right?” Charlie exhaled, unsure. “I think this little time apart was necessary, but, I miss you in the house and I want you to come home and I know the kids do too.” Charlie said and the smile on Brax’s face only grew larger.

“I miss them too,” Brax exhaled. “And I’d love to move home,” Brax said. “Just tell me when you want me there and I’ll be there right away.”

“How about tomorrow?” Charlie questioned.

“Sounds perfect.” Brax smiled as he leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on Charlie’s lips.

Charlie walked back into her house, unable to wipe the smile from her face. “Hey,” Charlie smiled up at Ruby who was making herself a drink in the kitchen. “You’re back home quiet early.”

“Yeah well it didn’t go so well at April’s so,” Ruby raised her eyebrows as she took the milk from the fridge to put in her tea. “No point hanging about is there?”

“I guess not,” Charlie put her bag down on the kitchen table. “You want to talk about it?” Charlie asked, the smile still on her face, but she did feel concerned for her daughter.

“She just won’t accept I’m not ready to be as public as she wants to be so....” Ruby shrugged her shoulders as she poured the milk into the mug. “Whatever.”

“Rubes,” Charlie walked over to her daughter and put hers hands onto her shoulders. “You can’t be totally stubborn in this,” Charlie said. “It’s not fair on April to ask her to hide away.”

“Take her side why don’t you?” Ruby spat as she shrugged herself away from her mother’s grasp and put the milk back into the fridge.

“I’m not on anyone’s side and I understand how you feel because I was there,” Charlie leaned against the worktop as she looked down to her daughter. “I went through this with Joey and I ended up losing her so just be careful, you don’t want to lose April altogether, do you?”

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “You lost Joey because you couldn’t keep your legs closed,” Ruby retorted. “So this is completely different, so stop trying to compare the two,” Ruby spat up at her mother. “Just stop trying to meddle in my relationship. If April doesn’t like the way I want to take this then that’s her problem and all she has to do is end things with me.” Ruby stormed out of the kitchen and Charlie jumped as she heard her Ruby slamming her bedroom door shut. She pursed her lips together and walked through to the living room, seeing an awkward looking Melanie sitting reading a magazine.

“Sorry about that,” Charlie said. “She can be....well she’s a teenager.” Charlie clicked her tongue.

“Oh it’s alright,” Melanie answered. “We know how teenagers can be, eh?”

Charlie gave a little laugh before biting her lip. Melanie was only 23, so it wasn’t really that long ago she was still a teenager herself. “Yeah,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “So, anyways, the twins all good tonight?”

“Ella had a little time out for not wanting to share and for smacking Noah in the head,” Melanie made a little face. “She actually made him bleed. I think the toy cut his brow.”

“Uh,” Charlie exhaled. “My poor little boy,” Charlie said. “He okay though?” Charlie put her hand onto her chest, worried for her son.

“Yeah yeah, all was good after cuddles and a lolly,” Melanie said and Charlie gave a little smile. “So, you’re home a little earlier tonight, everything alright?” Melanie questioned.

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “Just one of the quieter nights,” Charlie answered. “But it did give me and Brax a chance to talk and,” Charlie smiled as she tucked her hair behind her ear. “He’s going to move back home.”

“Aww that great,” Melanie gave a smile. “The twins will be happy when they find out.”

“Yeah, we’re telling them together tomorrow.” Charlie gave a smile.

“Aww that’s nice.” Melanie smiled.

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “Anyways, I’ll let you get home,” Melanie picked up her bag and walked through to the kitchen, with Charlie following her. “See you tomorrow.”

“Yeah, see ya.” Melanie smiled. “And good luck with Ruby.”

Charlie just rolled her eyes as she shook her head. “I’m leaving her be for tonight.” Melanie laughed a little before giving Charlie a wave as she walked down the driveway. Charlie waved back before closing the door and leaning back against it, happy that Brax was moving back home the next day.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all so much for the comments. :wub:

Chapter 62

Charlie’s eyes fluttered open and she gave a big stretch. She looked up as her door opened and Noah and Ella came running into the room, Ella hugging Rosie ragdoll under her arm. “Hey lovelies.” Charlie sat up in her bed as the twins climbed up and crawled into bed next to her.

“Ella gave me booboo,” Noah said as he pointed to his head. “She bad.”

Charlie looked to Noah and saw the little cut above his right eye. “Aww buddy.” Charlie rubbed her hand across it.

“No no,” Ella shook her head. “He take me toys.” Ella hit her hand against her chest.

“I believe you weren’t sharing,” Charlie said as she ran her hand through Ella’s bed hair. “What have mummy and daddy told you about sharing?”

Ella scratched the side of her head as she looked deep in thought. “You’ve to do it.” Ella spoke quietly to her mother.

“Hmm and not sharing with your brother isn’t nice, is it?” Charlie said and Ella shook her head.

“I was sorry,” Ella said. “Ay Noah?”

“Uh-huh.” Noah nodded as he started bouncing on the bed.

“Knock knock,” Charlie heard Ruby’s voice and looked up to the door to see her standing with a tray in her hand. On it, a bowl of fruit with some yoghurt, a couple slices of toast and a glass of orange juice. “A piece offering.” Ruby walked into her room as Charlie put her hand on her sons back, steadying him from bouncing. Ruby put the tray down on the bed as she sat down.

“Can I have some,” Ella pulled at Charlie’s hand as she pointed to the bowl of fruit with yoghurt over the top. “Mummy....mummy please.”

“No,” Ruby looked down to her sister. “It’s for mum. We’ll get you breakfast later.”

“No you to share,” Ella scowled at her sister as she moved Rosie ragdoll closer to herself. “You have too,” Ella nodded her head. “Ay mummy?”

Charlie exhaled lightly. “Yeah, you’ve to share. You can have some,” Charlie said and Ruby gave her mother an annoyed glare but Charlie just told Ella that you needed to share, and at least the girl was trying the concept, sort of. “It’s fine. We can share; it’s not a big deal Rubes.” Charlie said as she took a piece of fruit and put it into her mouth.

“But it was my way of saying sorry, it’s supposed to be for you.” Ruby sighed.

“Well the fact you made me breakfast is enough.” Charlie said as she noticed a piece of her toast was now missing and looked to her son to see him stuffing it into his mouth.

Ruby gave her a smile before looking down a little. “I’m sorry for saying what I did last night.” Ruby pursed her lips together.

“Look it’s been said now so let’s just leave it there,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “But I mean it this time Ruby; you are going to have to stop talking to me like that. I am your mother and you should not be talking to me in that way,” Ruby nodded lightly as she continued to look down. Upon, seeing that her daughter looked like she was about to cry, Charlie looked down to the twins, and saw they’d already almost demolished her breakfast. “You two go off and annoy Uncle Casey.”

“He in bed.” Noah said as he looked up at his mother with some yoghurt around his face.

“Well go wake him up.” Charlie said and Noah and Ella jumped down off the bed, Ella not forgetting to take Rosie ragdoll with her, before they ran out of the room.

“He’s going to freak for that.” Ruby managed a small smile as she looked up to her mother.

“Well if he wants to live rent free in this house and get all his meals then he’s going to have to put up with little unwanted visits from the twins,” Charlie said. “So,” Charlie exhaled. “You okay?”

Ruby shook her head. “I’m scared.”

“For?” Charlie moved the tray onto her bedside table, allowing Ruby to move closer to her.

“Everything,” Ruby sat close to Charlie in the bed. “Getting my test results back for starts,” Ruby wiped her hand across her eyes. “And I’m going to ruin things with April and I like her, I really do like her and I don’t know why I have such a problem with everyone knowing but I do, I really do and it’s going to ruin us and she’ll hate me for hurting her and I won’t even have her as a friend.”

“Hey,” Charlie wrapped her arm around Ruby, allowing Ruby to rest her head against her mother’s chest. “You just have to make sure it doesn’t go that way then,” Charlie rubbed Ruby’s arm. “If you like April and want to be with her then go for it. Don’t worry about what about people think. As long as you make yourself happy. You should be your main priority, not anyone else. But you.”

“Well it’s your fault because I’m like you in that way.” Ruby sniffed back.

“Right,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “Well, I’m very sorry for that dear, but please bear in mind that I wasn’t sure if being with Brax would be a good idea,” Charlie exhaled lightly. “You remember what he was like when we first met, right?”

“Wasn’t your first meeting you arresting him?” Ruby gave a little laugh.

“Almost,” Charlie exhaled. “But point is I couldn’t deny my feelings for him and while I’m not about to say infidelity is acceptable, I’m glad that I took the plunge and went with my feelings for him because look what we have now,” Charlie gave a little smile. “Over five amazing years together, two wonderful babies with another on the way and that’s all because I felt strongly for him so I went for it.” Charlie ran her hand through Ruby’s hair as she spoke.

“So you’re saying if I go for it with April, one day we could have that too,” Ruby questioned. “A pretty amazing life together?”

“Yeah, that’s exactly what I am saying.” Charlie answered.

Ruby pursed her lips together and looked like she was thinking about it. “So, how did it go with you and Brax last night? I’m guessing it might have gone better than it did for me and April?”

“He’s moving back in today,” Charlie gave a little squeak in excitement. “We’re taking the twins out for lunch and we’ll tell them then he’ll come home.”

“That’s great,” Ruby smiled up at her mother. “I pleased for you.” Ruby exhaled.

“And Rubes, I know it will be awful waiting for the results, but, try not to worry, alright?” Charlie continued to run her hand through Ruby’s hair. “I know that it’s hard but worrying is only going to make you worse, so, for the next few days, just concentrate on having a nice summer break and if it’s what you want – which I’m pretty sure it is – getting your girl.”

Ruby gave a little laugh. “Thanks mum.” Charlie screwed her face up in confusion not really sure what she was being thanked for but it didn’t happen often with Ruby these days so she would take it.

“You’re welcome,” Charlie smiled as she heard the sounds of an annoyed Casey and the giggles of her twins. “C’mon, let’s go save Casey from these little munchkins.” Charlie said and she and Ruby got off the bed and went to get the twins so Charlie could make them their breakfast.

“You do know if you were still dating me you wouldn’t be having this problem,” Dex sat down at the table and put the smoothies down. “No way would I be ashamed of being seen in public with you.”

April moaned as she leaned her head down against the table. “Well Ruby clearly thinks differently.”

“Well then she is crazy,” Dex exhaled. “Anyone giving up the chance to be with you would be. You’re amazing April and don’t ever let anyone make you think otherwise.”

“Aww Dex,” April lifted her head of the table and looked to her friend. “You’re such a sweetheart. Why couldn’t you be a girl?”

“Sorry to disappoint,” Dex said. “I do have two sisters though.” Dex gave April a grin.

April managed a little laugh. “Sasha is lovely but she’s only 15 and Indi is lovely to but...” April trailed off for a second.

“I know she is hideous isn’t she?” Dex said before giving a little shudder.

“Dexter,” April gasped. “She’s not hideous, she’s just.....well not even considering the fact she’s not gay, she’s.....well she’s not Ruby.” April looked down sadly before spinning the straw around in the cup.

“You really like her don’t you?” Dex didn’t really know what to say to April. He was hardly that experienced with the ladies himself, so having to dish out advice wasn’t so easy for him.

“I more than like her Dex,” April answered. “I love her.”

“Well if you ask me she’s crazy for giving up a chance to be with you,” Dex told her. “You’re awesome and smart and funny and oh my gosh gorgeous,” Dex smiled at his ex, sad that he’d never be able to call her his girlfriend again. Friends are all they’d now ever be. “Any girl would be lucky to have you, April.” Dex gave April a loving smile.

“Seems like you want me to forget about things happening with Ruby and try to find someone who knows for sure what they want.” April spoke quietly. She didn’t want that at all but maybe it was the right thing to do. Things with Ruby seemed to come to a halt too much. She knew the beginnings of a relationship may be a little difficult at the start, but surely it wasn’t supposed to be this bad.

“What you think is the most important,” Dex told her. “But yeah my opinion is you’ve tried and she’s just doesn’t seem to fully be into it.”

April clicked her tongue, saddened that she felt she had no choice but to end things for good with Ruby. She was about to speak when she heard her name being called out and turned around to see Ruby was in the surf club. April exhaled, feeling that there was no time like the present. She gave Dex a glance and took a deep breath as he gave her an encouraging smile. She walked over to Ruby and bit her lip as they silently stared at each other for a moment. “I eh...I wanted to talk to you.” Ruby spoke quietly as she looked at April.

“Yeah I wanted to talk to you too.” April replied.

“Oh,” Ruby sounded alarmed. After how she’d been with April lately, she had a feeling April was about to break up with her for good, and knew she needed to say what she wanted and she needed to say it now. “April please don’t break up with me,” Ruby almost pleaded. “I like you. Lots. A real lot and I don’t want this to be over. I....” Ruby looked around the room, seeing a few students from her class playing pool and a couple from the year below sitting at the table in the corner. She pursed her lips together before taking a step forward and placing a soft kiss onto April’s lips. April pulled back slightly, alarmed and surprised at what had just happened.

“What was -”

“I want to be with you, April,” Ruby hands were shaking with nerves. “It’s not fair to ask you to hide away, so....let’s not. Let’s just be a couple. It’s what we both want so let’s just do it.”

April felt a rather large smile creep onto her face. “And you mean that?” April questioned.

Ruby looked around the room once again before leaning forward and placing another kiss on her lips, this time, April letting it become a little more passionate. “I don’t care who knows I’m falling for you.” Ruby whispered. April smiled before rubbing her hand over Ruby’s cheek as they stared into each other’s eyes.

“I love you Rubes.” April said before once again meeting her in a passionate embrace.

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 63

Charlie and the kids walked into the diner and spotted Brax sitting waiting on them at a table up the back. “Daddy,” Noah shouted as he ran across to him, with Ella and Charlie walking behind him. “Look.” Noah pointed to his cut on his forehead.

“Aww buddy,” Brax looked concerned as Charlie and Ella joined them at the table, Ella taking a seat next to her father as Charlie sat down opposite Brax, with Noah climbing up onto the seat next to her. “What did you do?”

“It no me daddy,” Noah shook his head. “It her.” Noah pointed to Ella who was sitting Rosie ragdoll down on her chair.

“Aww Ella,” Brax exhaled. “What’s she been doing?” Brax knew Ella would already have been told off for what she did so didn’t make too big a deal out of it.

“She smacked him over the head with a toy because she didn’t want to share it,” Charlie rolled her eyes. “Little madam.”

“Oh dear.” Brax exhaled as Leah walked over to the table, smiling at seeing Charlie and Brax together.

“Hello.” Leah smiled.

“Apple juice.” Ella said as she looked up at Leah. Leah gave a little laugh at the girl’s immediate order before writing it down on the pad.

“Me too.” Noah flung his hands in the air.

“Two apple juices,” Leah smiled down at the kids. “And what can I get mum and dad?”

“Coffee for me.” Brax answered.

Coffee is what Charlie wanted to order, but she knew right now she shouldn’t be drinking too much of the stuff. “Ehm....a peppermint tea please Leah.” Charlie smiled up at her friend.

“Tea?” Leah scrunched her face up. Charlie never drank tea. She loved her coffee and Leah was sure she would order this.

“Yeah,” Charlie gave a little nod. “Fancy a change. Why, is that a problem?” Charlie questioned as she looked at her friend.

“No not at all,” Leah answered. “Just the last time I remember you turning down a coffee was when you were preg....” Leah trailed off as she covered her mouth with her hand and recalled that Charlie refused to drink alcohol when they had lunch at the restaurant. “Oh my gosh are you...”

“She’s pregnant.” Brax nodded with a huge smile on his face.

“Aww a baby, I am so happy for you.” Leah grinned excitedly.

“No a baby,” Ella shook her head. “It a whoopsie.” Ella looked up at Leah, looking very serious as she told her.

“No no no,” Noah slapped his palm against his forehead, Charlie wincing as she heard a slapping sound. “It brother buttons.”

Leah gave a little laugh. “Well congratulations anyways.”

“Thanks.” Charlie gave a weak smile as she put her hand onto her stomach, rubbing it gently.

“I’ll bring the drinks across.” Leah said as she walked away from the table.

“So much for not telling people yet eh?” Charlie glared at Brax, looking unimpressed.

“She kinda figured it out anyways,” Brax argued. “And it’s only Leah. Not like I’ll tell Colleen so she can broadcast it around.” Brax gave a little laugh as he noticed Colleen scurrying into the kitchen with some dirty dishes.

“I guess not,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “But no more telling people till after my first scan, okay?”

“Sure,” Brax rolled his eyes. “You must have a scan soon right?”

“Not that soon,” Charlie shook her head. “Not for another 6 weeks.”

“6 more weeks?” Brax screwed his face up. “I thought you got a scan at 8 weeks?”

“Not necessarily,” Charlie answered. “Usually the first one is 12 weeks. I just got asked in at 8 with the twins as I’d already been in and out of hospital really sick a few times so they wanted to make sure everything was okay.”

“Oh I see,” Brax exhaled. “So you’re not feeling as sick this time?”

“Not as much so far anyways,” Charlie told him. “Like I’ve told you it’s just the fish thing again,” Charlie said. “But I’ve been having tea and crackers as soon as I wake up so I think that’s been settling my stomach.”

“Well that’s good,” Brax smiled. “So eh, will we...” Brax trailed off as he pointed down to the twins and Charlie knew what he was talking about.

“Sure, go for it.” A large smile grew on Charlie face as she thought about him moving back home.

“Right kiddies,” Brax looked down to the twins who were talking amongst themselves. “You listening, because daddy had something to tell you.”

Noah and Ella both looked up at him, their eyes full of wonder for what he was going to say. “Uh-huh.” Noah gave a little nod.

“What daddy?” Ella questioned, moving Rosie ragdoll so she was sitting on her knee.

“Well daddy is going to be moving back home to live.” Brax said with a rather large smile on his face.

“Wow.” Ella widened her eyes as she clapped her hands together.

“And mummy too?” Noah questioned.

“Yeah I’ll still be at home buddy,” Charlie ran her hand across her son’s head. “We’re all going to live together again.”

“Wow wow wow,” Ella repeated as she stood up on her chair and gave a little dance of excitement before falling into Brax’s arms. “It best news.” Ella placed a kiss on Brax’s cheek before giggling as he tickled her sides.

“Daddy coming home,” Noah cheered as he banged his hands of the table in excitement. “Daddy coming home.” Noah sang again as he started rocking his body from side to side.

“Party.” Ella cheered from Brax’s knee.

Charlie looked to her kids and gave a little laugh before her and Brax shared a smile. “Don’t think they are that fussed about you coming home.” Charlie joked.

“Nah,” Brax gave a little laugh. “They don’t look at all bothered.” Brax said as Ella was going on about having a party and Noah was sitting chanting ‘daddy coming home’ and rocking his body from side to side. He gave another laugh before looking at Charlie and once again they shared a smile.

April turned on her side, resting her elbow against the mattress and propped her head up with her hand. She exhaled lightly as she looked at Ruby. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine, why?” Ruby smiled up at her.

“You’ve just gone quiet,” April pursed he lips together. “You’re not having second thoughts, are you?”

“Uh-uh,” Ruby shook her head. “Definitely not,” Ruby saw a smile forming on April’s face. “It’s just....” Ruby sat up in the bed, leaning her head against the headboard. “I’m scared for my results.”

“Oh, of course,” April pursed her lips together. “But you are way clever so I’m pretty sure you will have aced them all.” April gave her girlfriend an encouraging smile.

“What?” Ruby screwed her face up.

“Exam results,” April said. “They come through next week. That’s what you are talking about, right?”

“Oh no I wasn’t even thinking about that,” Ruby shook her head. “Mum made me go to the doctors the other day and they took X-rays and blood tests and I’ll get the results back in a few days.” Ruby ran her hand over the edge of the bed covers, most likely to try to distract herself for worrying too much about the results.

“Oh,” April pursed her lips together. “I’m sure everything will be fine,” April tried to sound positive. “Have you been feeling ill since the doctors?”

“Uh, sort of,” Ruby answered. “I’ve mainly been feeling really tired all time but I felt sick for a bit yesterday.”

“Aww Rubes, maybe we’ll just have to put you down.” April laughed.

“Hey.” Ruby nudged April’s arm, causing her to lose her balance and fall back in the bed. April continued to laugh as she sat back up and leaned her head against the headboard, next to Ruby.

“No seriously though,” April exhaled. “I’m sure it’s nothing to be worrying about,” April gave her a little smile. “Sid was probably just taking precautions by getting those tests done.”

“You really think so?” Ruby questioned, unsure.

“Mmm yeah,” April nodded. “I’m sure.” April tried to sound optimistic and she wanted to believe that Ruby would be fine, but of course she didn’t really know that. She exhaled lightly as she looked down to her watch.

“Needing to be somewhere?” Ruby questioned.

“Yes actually,” April sighed. “I’m supposed to be having lunch with my mum.” April curled her nose up.

“Try to look a little more enthusiastic about that dear,” Ruby laughed. “The more you meet her the more you are going to strike up a good relationship, right?”

April gave a sort of shrug. “I’d like to think so.” April sighed.

“Aww c’mon, where has all that optimism you just had all gone?” Ruby questioned.

April once again shrugged as she looked down a little. “I don’t know, maybe I’m just expecting too much. Maybe Bianca is right and it only is a matter of time before she lets me down again.”

“Well you never know unless you try,” Ruby said. “Yeah she might run off to some foreign land again but she might stay,” Ruby told her. “It’s just a risk you’ll need to be willing to take.”

“I think I want to take it,” April spoke quietly as she looked back up at her girlfriend. “She does seem like she genuinely wants to be in my life.”

“Then go have lunch with her,” Ruby smiled encouragingly. “If you don’t meet her you’ll never get close again.”

April bit her lip. “Mmm, yeah.”

“I could come with you if you want?” Ruby suggested.

“Ha,” April laughed. “I take my girlfriend to lunch with my mum who forbids me to be gay?” April said. “Not going to turn out to well is it?”

“Well....” Ruby gave a little shrug. “If she wants to be in your life then it’s something that she’s going to need to get used to.”

“Oh look at you changing your tune,” April said. “Wasn’t that long ago you were saying you can’t force this on people.”

“Yeah but I was...” Ruby pursed her lips together. “Well she is your mother so if she does want to be in your life she’s going to need to learn to at least be civil with me.”

“Yeah,” April took a deep breath. “So, you’ll really come with me?”

“Sure I can,” Ruby smiled. “If you want me there I’ll be there.”

April smiled before leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on her lips. “Best get dressed then. I was supposed to be at the Sands 10 minutes ago.” April jumped out of bed and hunted for her underwear.

“April.” Ruby gasped as she jumped of bed and reached for her bra.

“Oh and we really need to come up with a better excuse to why we were late,” April said. “I don’t think she’ll appreciate hearing I was late because I was having sex with my girlfriend.”

“Yeah I’m pretty sure a mother never likes to hear that,” Ruby replied and she put her panties on. “But I’m sure you’ll come up with something.” Ruby said as they continued to get dressed to go and meet April’s mother.

Thanks for the comments. :wub: I promise you'll get the results in the next one....:P

Chapter 64

April and Ruby walked into the restaurant at the Sands, seeing Joanna looking down at her watch and sighing. “Sorry,” April walked quickly to the table with Ruby following behind her. “I eh, lost track of time,” April said. “Eh, we need a bigger table.” April was quick to move the conversation on, hoping Joanna wouldn’t comment that the fact April was wearing a watch made her wonder how she could lose track of time. Especially when she knew she was meeting her mother at a specific time, she should have been checking.

“Well I didn’t realise we were having an extra guest,” Joanna curled her nose up as she stared at Ruby before looking back to her daughter. “I thought this was just for me and you to get to know each other again.”

“Sorry,” April moved to a different table and took a seat, with Ruby sitting next to her. “But it’s no big deal. We can still talk, right?” April said and Joanna clicked her tongue as she sat down at the larger table.

“Doesn’t look like I have much choice.” Joanna spoke quietly, April knowing by the tone of her voice that she was not pleased Ruby was there.

“If it’s going to be that much of a problem for you I can...” Ruby trailed off as she pointed to the door. Joanna opened her mouth to talk but April spoke over her.

“No,” April put her hand onto Ruby’s knee, under the table. “It’s fine. You can stay.”

“It’s Ruby, right?” Joanna stared at the girl sitting next to her daughter.

“Yeah.” Ruby nodded.

“I remember you,” Joanna once again clicked her tongue. “You’re the one who’s sister turned out to be her mother, right?” Joanna said. When Ruby was 12, she found out the truth about her parentage, not that long before Joanna left.

“Yeah that’s me.” Ruby answered.

“No wonder you are a queer then,” Joanna said. “You’re mother or sister, whatever it is she wants to be known as had a thing with a woman too, didn’t she?”

“Yeah but it’s not like it’s hereditary,” Ruby answered. “Just because my mum’s been with a woman doesn’t mean that’s why I am with April now,” Ruby gave a little laugh but stopped when she got a glare from Joanna. “I mean you know she’s happily married to a great guy now and they’ve got the twins and are expecting another. Joey’s been her only female experience.”

“Well I hope one day my April is saying the same about you,” Joanna said. “I just...” Joanna shook her head, looking almost disgusted. “Get over this phase quickly, sweetheart.”

“It’s not a phase mum,” April answered. “I am not into men and you’re going to need to come to peace with that if you want me in your life,” April exhaled. “I love Ruby and she’s who I want to be with.”

Joanna took a deep breath as she saw the look on her daughters face. She’d never seen anyone look so certain before. “And you...you love her too?”

“I eh...” Ruby rubbed the back of her head. “I have really strong feelings for her,” Ruby answered. “I’m really falling for her,” Ruby added. “But you know love is such a strong word so I’m not going to throw it around. I want to mean it when I say it for the first time.”

Joanna tucked her hair behind her ear as she stared into Ruby’s eyes. She did seem like she genuinely cared for her daughter. “Don’t you go hurting her.” Joanna pointed her finger to Ruby, almost in a threatening manner.

“I won’t,” Ruby shook her head before biting her lip, holding back on saying she had some gall lecturing Ruby on not hurting April. She felt like saying that with all due respect if anyone had hurt April, it would have been her for walking out of her life so easily, but out of respect for April who clearly wanted to have a good relationship with her mother, and because she knew she needed to make a good impression on her she didn’t. “I promise.” Ruby looked to April and they gave each other a smile before looking back to Joanna.

“Right well,” Joanna exhaled. “I’m never going to like the fact my daughter is gay and I don’t see why I should. For me a man and a woman should be together. That’s nature, it’s how life continues. You can’t stick two women together and naturally get a child so it’s not supposed to be, in my eyes,” Joanna exhaled, somewhat sadly. “However, I more than anything want to make amends with a least one of my daughters, so I’m willing to....” Joanna paused and April could see it was killing her to say this. “If you are happy then.....okay, do what you want,” Joanna said. “What I’d like to concentrate on is just getting to know my daughter again.”

“But will you be able to accept Ruby is going to be a part of my life?” April questioned.

“Don’t push it, April,” Joanna exhaled. “Now, let’s order some lunch. I’m starving.” April and Ruby shared a glance, not sure if things were going to turn out well or not, before opening the menu and looked through what they could eat for their lunch.

Charlie brought the plate of cupcakes outside and put them down on the table next to the popcorn and bowl of candies. Ella insisted a party was a must, so Charlie and Brax decide to please their daughter and give her a little one. They were out in the back garden and the twins were in their swimwear, Brax filling up the paddling pool with water so they could play in there. “Hurry daddy,” Ella kept Rosie ragdoll clutched under her arm. “We have a water party.”

“It’s nearly filled petal,” Brax smiled at his daughter as the look of impatience on her face only continued to increase. “You going to put Rosie down so you can go in the water?”

“No, she’s my Rosie,” Ella cuddled the doll tightly. “She come too.”

“You don’t want to get her wet,” Brax told his daughter. “She’ll ruin.”

Ella scrunched her face up. “Mummy will look after her,” Ella said as she looked over to Charlie who was putting the straw into a juice box for Noah. “We no ask Uncle Eath?” Ella scratched the side of her head. “He like a party.”

Brax gave a little laugh. “You and your Uncle Heath,” Brax rolled his eyes. “No it’s just a special party for the four of us.” Brax told her and Ella widened her eyes as she gave a toothy grin.

“Rosie too.” Ella said as she waved her ragdoll about in front of Brax’s face.

“And Rosie.” Brax laughed as he ruffled Ella’s hair.

“I’m get some popcorn.” Ella said before she ran off to the table and climbed up onto one of the chairs and took a rather big handful. Brax smiled to himself as he walked over to the tap and turned it off, the paddling pool now having enough water in it for the kids to play in. He walked over to the table and took a handful of the popcorn and started eating it.

“Daddy.” Noah pulled on his shorts.

“What buddy?” Brax questioned as he looked down to his young son.

“It’s no party.” Noah held his hands out to the side as he gave a little pout of sadness.

“Yeah bud it is,” Brax answered. “There’s party food, people, entertainment,” Brax pointed to the paddling pool as Charlie set up the slide so they could go down it and into the water. They shared a smile before he looked back down to his son. “What else do you need?”

“Uhm,” Noah scratched the back of his head. “Songs.” Noah scrunched his nose up as he looked at Brax.

“Hmmm, maybe mummy could sing for you.” Brax laughed a little as Charlie walked back over to them.

“Aww buddy I wouldn’t put you through that,” Charlie said. “It would be like listening to a bag of cats being swung around.” Charlie said and Brax gave another laugh as Noah looked completely confused at his mother’s reply.

“You’re not that bad a singer.” Brax told her.

“It’s alright; I’m already your wife. You don’t need to lie to me about that stuff anymore,” Charlie said. “You’re still going to get lucky.” Charlie raised her eyebrows suggestively as she picked up a piece of candy from the bowl and put it into her mouth as Brax gave her a grin.

Noah looked up at his parents, his little nose still scrunched up at his loss of understanding in the conversation. He exhaled, defeated. “Ella you come to the water.” Noah handed the juice box up to Charlie before running off into the paddling pool. Ella jumped down from the seat and gave Rosie ragdoll to Charlie to look after before running across to the paddling pool to be with her brother.

Charlie placed the juice box down on the table before turning around and watching as her kids splashed each other. She smiled as Brax walked closer to her and stood next to her. “We make pretty cute ones huh?” Brax watched as Ella and Noah giggled with delight as they were running around the paddling pool, Noah still trying to throw water at his sister.

“Hmm, must take after their mother then eh?” Charlie gave Brax a cheeky grin.

“There’s no doubts about that.” Brax said as he tucked Charlie’s hair behind her ear. He smiled as he learned forward, wanting a kiss. Charlie bit her lip before leaning in and just as their lips were about to meet, she moved her head to the side and put her lips close to his ear.

“Go and get the radio,” Charlie said. “You’re son wants music.” Brax moved back and stared at Charlie for a moment, watching her as she teasingly, it seemed, licked her lip. He exhaled lightly before walking back into the house and smiled to himself, glad to back with his family.

Thanks for the comments. Hope this one is alright....:unsure:

Chapter 65

Charlie moaned a little as Brax softly kissed her neck as they made their way into their bedroom. He kissed along her jawline, before finding her lips, their tongues immediately finding each other’s mouths. Brax moved his hands down her back and rested them on her bottom. “Brax.” Charlie spoke quietly.

“Shh.” Brax whispered as he placed another kiss on her lips. Brax moaned a little as he removed the singlet from her body, the kiss only breaking long enough to allow the singlet to move over her head. Their lips met again as he threw the singlet down, before wrapping his arms around her back, caressing it gently. They moved closer to their bed, Brax gently laying Charlie down and straddling over her, the kiss never breaking.

“Mmm Brax.” Charlie whispered as she moved her hands from around his neck, letting one rest against his chest.

“I know, this is nice.” Brax smiled before placing another kiss on her lips.

“No, I....” Charlie lightly pushed him back. “I don’t want too.” Charlie spoke quietly as she cut eye contact with him.

“It’s alright.” Brax spoke softly as he moved from being on top of her and lay down on the bed next to her.

“Sorry, I just....” Charlie trailed off as she turned her head so she was facing him.

“You don’t have to be sorry,” Brax exhaled. “I’m not about to force you into it.” Of course Brax would have loved to have sex with his wife, but he wasn’t about to push her into it.

Charlie gave him a weak smile. “I just feel really...eurgh, you know,” Charlie scrunched her face up. “Like...I’m really aware I’m pregnant right now,” Charlie put her hands onto her stomach. “I just feel so...pregnant, you know what I mean?”

“Can’t say I do,” Brax gave a little laugh. “Afraid it’s not something I’ll ever understand eh.” Brax wrapped his arm around Charlie, causing her to cuddle closer to him, her head resting in the crook of his neck.

“Of course,” Charlie mumbled as she rubbed her stomach. “Just....the last few hours I’ve felt so bloated.”

“Maybe you just ate too much candy and cupcakes,” Brax gave a little laugh. “I thought they were for the kids.” Brax ran his hands through Charlie’s hair, like he was brushing it with his fingers.

“Says the man who ate most of the popcorn,” Charlie answered. “Besides Ella wanted to share her cupcakes with me,” Charlie said. “We’re trying to get her to share more, so, you know, I was just teaching my daughter the right thing to do.”

“Well,” Brax rubbed his hand over his chin. “You could have said no thank you, but thank you for offering, what a good girl.”

“Shut up,” Charlie smacked her hand against his chest. “I like cake.”

Brax gave a little laugh. “And you’re eating for two so you need bigger slices now, right?”

“Well when you put it like that,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “No, I’m just glad I actually feel like eating still. I know its early days yet, but, hopefully.” Charlie crossed her fingers, hoping this would be an easier pregnancy.

“Yeah,” Brax agreed. “So, I was thinking maybe we could take the twins to the zoo sometime soon,” Brax said. “Will be nice to have a family day out after everything that’s gone on.”

“Eh yeah,” Charlie answered. “But they have just been to the aquarium not that long ago. Don’t want to go spoiling them too much, do we?”

“Well they’re our kiddies,” Brax answered. “And it’s not like we are going to do this every week, you know, just a little bit of family fun after the recent stresses.”

“I guess,” Charlie gave a little smile. “And we are both off work Monday right?”

“Yeah we are,” Brax smiled. “So, we’ll take them to the zoo?”

“Sure,” Charlie gave him a smile. “It’ll be fun.” Charlie looked up at Brax and smiled before placing a soft kiss on his lips, the two of the lying in the bed together, both of them happy to be next to each other again.

Ruby was sitting in the hospital waiting room, shaking her legs as she bit her fingernails. “Stop it.” Charlie batted her hand away from her mouth.

“Well I am a little nervous,” Ruby told her mother. “What if I am like.....dying?”

“You won’t be dying.” Charlie put her hand onto her daughter’s leg, stopping her from shaking them.

“Well there is clearly something wrong,” Ruby exhaled. “They don’t just take X-rays and blood tests for nothing, do they?” Ruby questioned. “Sid was clearly looking for something.”

“He’s a doctor,” Charlie said. “He’ll just be looking at every option, alright?”

Ruby shook her head a little. “I don’t want to go in mum,” Ruby’s nose stared to flare and Charlie knew she was about to cry. She wrapped her arm around her daughter, gently rubbing her arm in comfort. “Let’s just go home.” Ruby tried to stand up but Charlie held her back on the seat.

“So, Brax and I are going to take the twins to zoo on Monday, maybe you could come with us,” Charlie decided changing the subject for now might be able to keep Ruby’s mind off it just for that little while. “Could be fun, right?”

“Yeah it could be fun,” Ruby gave a little smile. “We’ll just need to see what Sid tells us first though, I guess.” Ruby took a deep breath.

“C’mon, it’s going to be fine.” Charlie rubbed Ruby’s arm.

Ruby opened her mouth to talk again but was spoken over by Sid. “Ruby, if you’re ready to come through.” Charlie took a deep breath before she stood up and looked down to her daughter.

“Rubes,” Charlie held her hands out. “C’mon, I’m right here with you.” Ruby put her hand into Charlie’s and Charlie gave it a gentle squeeze. Ruby took a deep breath before standing up and walking down the hall with Charlie, following behind Sid. They went into the room and Sid sat down on the chair, Ruby and Charlie sitting down opposite him. He looked down to the notes that were sitting on the table before looking at Ruby.

“It’s bad news mum, look at his face.” Ruby sounded like she was about to cry. Charlie took a tighter grip on her daughter’s hand, before taking another deep breath.

“Is it?” Charlie questioned as she looked up to Sid.

Sid pursed his lips together as he looked at the mother and daughter. “We have found something, yes,” Sid gave a little nod. “And I’m sure you just want me to get right to the point of telling you,” Sid paused as he could see Ruby was already in a state, knowing that they had found something wrong with her. He hated having to tell people that their results showed they had an illness, it never got any easier, but it had to be done, it came with his job. “Ruby, I’m afraid you have renal failure.”

“What...” Ruby looked to her mother, a little confused. “I don’t know what that is....what’s....”

Charlie pursed her lips together as she looked at her daughter, keeping a hold of her hand and rubbing it with her thumb. “It’s you’re kidneys,” Charlie said before glancing at Sid and giving him a questioning look. He gave a little nod before Charlie looked back to Ruby. “You’re kidneys are failing.”

Thank you for the comments. I hope this one is okay.... :unsure:

Chapter 66

Ruby sat in the room, trying to keep herself composed, but Charlie knew her daughter and she knew she wanted to cry. She brought her hand up to her face and lightly rubbed her cheek. “It’s alright. It’s going to be okay. You can get treatments and there’s medication,” Charlie turned to face Sid. “Right? We can....we can fix this?” Charlie questioned, full of worry of what was going to happen to Ruby and wondered what step they would now have to take.

“Of course,” Sid gave a little nod. “Dialysis will be in the near future for Ruby,” Sid took a pause, if only to give Ruby and Charlie time to take in what he was telling them. “And of course she’ll be put on the transplant list.”

“And that’s my only options?” Ruby questioned. She didn’t like the thought of dialysis as that would most probably mean constant hospital visits and the idea of getting a transplant terrified her.

“We can’t force you into it,” Sid exhaled. “It’s entirely your choice, but if you chose to forgo treatment you are aware that you’re not going to live...” Sid stopped talking. “Treatment will allow you to live your life as close to normal as possible.”

“So,” Charlie exhaled lightly, feeling herself welling up. “How long are we looking at saying she’ll be waiting on the transplant list?”

“It really is hard to tell,” Sid answered. “Unfortunately it’s not about who’s been waiting the longest but who we can find a match for. People could wait only a few months for a match, people can wait for years.” Sid looked from Charlie to Ruby. Ruby was sitting back in the chair, staring out blankly, like she didn’t want to be in the conversation, she didn’t want to believe this was her they were talking about. Charlie took Ruby’s hand back into hers and lightly rubbed it with her thumb.

“What about...” Charlie tucked her hair behind her ear. “You don’t need to be dead to...I mean, you can be alive and donate a kidney, right?” Charlie questioned.

“Yes,” Sid answered. “Living donor transplants are an option. Obviously parents are the best chance of a match with siblings and grandparents coming in close behind.”

“So then we can...she can have my kidney. We can arrange that, yes?” Charlie questioned. “It would allow her to get this as soon as possible and....well she’ll be okay.” Charlie exhaled lightly. She would do anything to help her daughter.

Sid stared at Charlie for a moment, before he clicked his tongue. “Usually yes, however given your current circumstance,” Sid trailed off as he pointed to Charlie’s stomach. “I’m sorry Charlie but it’s not an option for you right now.”

“But she’s my daughter and she needs this.” Charlie’s voiced raised a little.

“Yes but you also have the baby to consider,” Sid spoke softly. He knew this wouldn’t be easy for Charlie to hear. “I’m sorry, but it just wouldn’t be safe for you right now.”

Charlie pursed her lips together as she felt her eyes stinging with tears that wanted to fall upon hearing that she couldn’t at this moment in time donate her kidney to her daughter. “Well what about once the baby is born then?” Charlie questioned. “She’ll be alright to wait till then and once I have the baby she can have my kidney, right?” Charlie desperately wanted to be able to help her daughter and hearing that right now, she couldn’t really hurt her. “How long would I have to wait once I’d had the baby?”

“It would depend on how the pregnancy, delivery and your post-partum recovery went,” Sid answered. “I can’t give you a definite timeframe.” Sid once again looked to Ruby, who was still sitting staring blankly out in front of her, her hand still linked with her mothers.

“How long will I be okay on dialysis?” Ruby spoke quietly not moving her gaze from the back wall.

“Dialysis will work for a long long time,” Sid answered. “You can be on it for years while waiting for a donor.” Sid exhaled as he looked to Charlie then back to Ruby.

“It should be me,” Charlie couldn’t let this go just yet. “She’s my child. I need to help her.”

“You can’t right now mum,” Ruby shook her head. “It’s alright. I’ll go on this dialysis thing and we’ll just have to hope that it won’t be years until we find a donor.”

“Who?” Charlie questioned. “I can’t...your grandparents are dead,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “There’s no other family,” Charlie said. “Who can...” Charlie bit her lip, hating that he came into her mind, but he was her father. Seeing the look on her face, Ruby knew she had someone in her mind.

“Not Grant?” Ruby shook her head. “I don’t want anything of his.”

Sid looked from mother to daughter. “Not even if it was help you get better?” Sid questioned.

“Not even then,” Ruby shook her head. “We’re not going to Grant. I’ll wait until mum is ready and if she is a match then great, we’ll do this, but, I’d rather be on dialysis than go to him. I’d hate to live knowing I had his kidney after what he did to mum.” Ruby took a deep breath. She was shocked right now but she never wanted anything to do with Grant and that wasn’t about to change now she sick.

“Okay,” Sid gave a little nod. He knew all he could do was give his advice, he couldn’t force Ruby or Charlie into making any decisions. “So, with dialysis, you’ll need to get it 3 times a week,” Sid told her. “The treatment runs Monday, Wednesday and Fridays or Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays,” Sid said. “So, you pick what days would be best for you and if that time slot is available then we’ll go with that,” Sid took a pause. “We are lucky enough to have a dialysis centre attached to this hospital here so you won’t be needing to make the trip in to Sydney three times a week.”

“Ahh well that makes this all okay then doesn’t it?” Charlie spat at Sid. “As long as she gets to be here in the bay for her treatment all will be fine. It doesn’t make renal failure sound as bad now.”

“Mum,” Ruby moved a little closer to her mother. “Don’t yell at Sid. It’s not as if this is his fault and you know it will be easier me just having to come here than having to go to the city all the time, right?”

“I guess,” Charlie exhaled lightly as she looked around to her daughter. She looked so scared and Charlie knew it was her job to make her feel okay and comfortable with all this. “And you know I’ll be right here with you, every appointment, okay,” Charlie rubbed her daughters cheek. “I can be there with her, right?”

“Sure.” Sid gave a little nod.

“So when does it start?” Charlie questioned. “Does she start this right away or is this...what?” Charlie played nervously with her wedding rings, rolling them around her finger as she waited on the answer from Sid.

“It has progressed reasonably quickly, but not quickly enough to make us want to start dialysis immediately,” Sid informed them. “This gives us time to create access to Ruby’s bloodstream in order for her to get the dialysis. We’ll get a surgeon to connect an artery directly to a vein, in Ruby’s forearm which will allow for increased blood flow which in turn will allow the vein to grow larger and stronger so we can use the vein for repeated needle insertions,” Sid said before taking a pause, waiting to see if Charlie and Ruby both understood what he was saying. “Does that make sense?”

“Yeah,” Ruby answered quietly. “So, when....when will I be ready for dialysis?”

“It could take a few months,” Sid told them. “We need to wait for the vein to increase the blood flow.”

“Right,” Charlie gave a little nod. “And what about the dialysis? How long will that take?”

“Usually between 3 to 5 hours a time,” Sid told her. “So, it does take a while but it is very beneficial for you.”

“That’s a long time,” Ruby pursed her lips together. “Like a really long time.”

“It is but it’s something you’ll get used to and as I’ve already said, it’s going to be really beneficial to you.” Sid said.

“Yeah,” Ruby sighed. Of course she would prefer not to have all this but she knew if she wanted to get better, dialysis was something that she needed to do, at least until she was able to get a transplant. “So when do I get this arm vein surgery thing?”

Sid looked to the computer for a moment before looking back to Ruby. “We can bring you in on Tuesday,” Sid told her. “How does 11am sound?”

“That’s fine,” Charlie told Sid. “Does she have to stay overnight or is it an outpatient’s thing?” Charlie wondered.

“Usually we can do it as an outpatient,” Sid told her. “We’ll keep her in a few hours after the surgery as she’ll most likely be groggy from the anaesthesia but she’ll get to go home the same day.”

“Well that’s good yeah?” Charlie smiled at Ruby.

“Oh brilliant,” Ruby rolled her eyes. “Can we go home now? I’ve talked enough about my declining health today.” Ruby looked from Charlie to Sid, and Sid could see Ruby was holding back tears and clearly wanted to be in the privacy of her own home with her mother before she let them fall.

“Sure,” Sid nodded as he stood up from the table, with Charlie and Ruby standing up and walking out the room after him. “We’ll see you on Tuesday okay?” Sid gave her a little smile.

“Yeah sure,” Ruby sighed. “Mum, let’s go.” Ruby pulled on Charlie’s hand, wanting to leave the hospital. Charlie gave Sid an appreciative smile of thanks for leaving the hospital with her daughter.

Thank you Sarah, beebee, Spotd1 and RoRo90 for the comments. I hope this one is okay, I’m not so sure about it.....:unsure:

Chapter 67

April walked across the grass, between the surf club and the beach and over to the bench where her mother was sitting, waiting on her. “Hey mum.” April smiled a little as she took a seat next to her.

“April,” Joanna smiled. “Not bringing you’re little friend today?” Joanna raised her eyebrows as she thought about Ruby.

“No,” April shook her head. “She’s at the hospital getting some test results.” April told her mother as she played nervously with the bracelet that was on her wrist, worried for her girlfriend.

“Oh, what’s wrong with her?” Joanna questioned, the look on her face not actually showing much concern.

“I don’t know,” April shook her head. “That’s why she’s at hospital getting results,” April told her mother before biting her lip. “I’m really worried though mum, what if it’s something really bad?”

Joanna pursed her lips together as she put her hand onto the back of her daughters head and rubbed her hair gently. “You’ll just have to not worry until she tells you,” Joanna said. “No point in that, is there?” Joanna questioned. “You might get yourself all worked up for nothing.”

“Maybe,” April clicked her tongue. “I just...I thought she might have called me by now.” April pulled her phone from her pocket and saw no new messages or missed calls. She sighed lightly as she put her phone away and looked back up to her mother.

“She’ll call when she’s ready,” Joanna said. “Now,” Joanna was keen to change the subject. “I guess you couldn’t get Bianca to come join us?” Joanna had asked April to ask Bianca along, but clearly, she could now see that she wouldn’t be joining them.

“Nope,” April answered quietly. “Doesn’t look like she is ever going to come around,” April said. “But I’m here,” April gave her a little smile. “And while I don’t like that you don’t seem to support my relationship choice, right now what’s important is me and you building bridges and....just getting to know each other.”

“Yeah it is,” Joanna smiled. “So, how about we go for a milkshake?” Joanna questioned. “It’s strawberry you like, right?”

“Yeah,” April gave her mother a smile as she stood up. “Let’s go.” Joanna smiled as she stood up from the bench and was slightly surprised but happy that April linked arms with her as they walked towards the diner.

Charlie and Ruby walked into the house and through to the living room to see Brax walking back in from the hallway, Charlie assuming he’d been putting the twins down for their nap. “Hey, how did the hospital go?” Ruby looked to Charlie before looking back to Brax.

“I’m just going for a lie down.” Ruby said as she looked back up at her mother, before walking down the hall to her bedroom.

“Charlie?” Brax knew by the look on her face that something wasn’t right. Charlie stepped forward and wrapped her arms around Brax as she rested her head against his chest, the sounds of muffled tears being brought into the room. “Hey, darling what’s wrong?” Brax put his hands onto Charlie’s back, rubbing it gently.

“She eh...” Charlie pulled back and looked up into his eyes. “She has renal failure,” Charlie sniffed back. “They want to start her on dialysis and eventually she’s going to need a kidney transplant.” Charlie cried as she leaned her head forward again, resting it against Brax’s chest.

“Aww God,” Brax muttered. “Did eh...I mean what’s....”

“I can’t help her,” Charlie ignored whatever Brax was trying to ask as she remained in the embrace, her voice all muffled as she spoke against his chest. “I can’t give her my kidney,” Charlie pulled away from Brax taking a few steps back. “All because of this,” Charlie smacked her hand against her stomach, somewhat angrily. “I’m supposed to look after her,” Charlie said. “I’m supposed to be there for her no matter what and I can’t be, what kind of mother does that make me?” Charlie was yelling. She wasn’t directly yelling at Brax, she was just so upset that she couldn’t help her daughter right away, that she’d need to endure dialysis, until they found a match or until Charlie was allowed to have the surgery, providing she too was a match of course. “I can’t just do nothing.”

“You won’t be doing nothing,” Brax took a step forward and took Charlie’s hand into his, rubbing it gently. “You will be the best, most loving, supportive mother she could have,” Brax said. “You’ll be by her side every step of the way,” Brax said before bringing his other hand up and placing it over her stomach. “And once you have the baby, then there’s options then for you to help, right?” Brax questioned. “You can’t never help her, just not yet?”

“I have to wait till after the baby is born,” Charlie nodded. “Sid said it depends on the pregnancy and how I recover afterwards to how long it’ll be,” Charlie sniffed back. “I just want to be able to help her now, Brax, she shouldn’t have to wait. She shouldn’t have to have dialysis. She’s so young, she....it’s just not fair.”

“I know,” Brax agreed. “It’s awful Charlie, but the dialysis, it’s going to help her, right?” Brax questioned. “They wouldn’t give it to so many people if it didn’t do any good, would they?” Brax continued to lightly rub her hand as he spoke.

“I guess not,” Charlie answered. “I’m scared for her, you know.” Charlie took a deep breath.

“I know, it’s horrible,” Brax replied. “But we’ll help her through this as a family, yeah?” Brax questioned and Charlie gave a little nod before once again falling into him for some comfort.

The twins were in the kitchen, fresh from nap time when April knocked on the door. “Hey April, come in.” Brax told her as he put the twins’ snack bowls down on the table as Charlie poured them some juice into their cups.

“Hey, eh, is Ruby in?” April questioned. “I tried calling her but -”

“She’s in her room.” Charlie answered as she gave the twins their drinks.

“Right,” April gave a little nod. “Did everything go alright at the hospital?” April knew from Charlie’s demeanour that something clearly wasn’t right and this frightened her a little.

“Just go and talk to Ruby yeah?” Brax answered and April gave a little nod before walking through the house to Ruby’s bedroom. She took a deep breath before knocking on the door.

“Rubes, it’s me,” April said. “Is it okay if I come in?” After a few moments of silence April heard a faint replied before she walked into the room and saw a puffy eyed Ruby lying down on her bed. “Hey, what’s wrong?” April sounded concerned as she walked into the room and bent down at the side of the bed, lightly rubbing Ruby’s arm in comfort. Ruby took a deep breath as she pushed herself up to sitting and it was then that April noticed a leaflet in Ruby’s hand. She sat down on the bed next to Ruby before taking it in her hands. Renal Failure. April gasped as she saw the words jumping out at her. “Oh gosh, Rubes.” April covered her mouth with her hand.

“I need dialysis,” Ruby sniffed back. “Eventually a transplant.”

“Rubes,” April exhaled as she felt herself welling up. “I eh....I....”

“Won’t want to be stuck with me now, will you?” Ruby questioned. “I don’t blame you. As if sticking myself with a needle everyday isn’t bad enough now I’m going to have to be popping pills for the rest of my life,” Ruby looked down to the leaflet in Ruby’s hands. She’s not long in read that once she received her transplant, she’d need to take immunosuppressants for the rest of her life, to stop her body rejecting the kidney. “You’re not going to want to deal with that and I don’t want to stop you doing anything.”

“You wouldn’t,” April shook her head. “Transplant patients can go on to live a pretty normal life,” April told her. “Nothing will really change that much for us.”

“Except I’m not going to be normal, am I?” Ruby questioned. “I’m going to have someone else’s kidney,” Ruby said. “That’s not normal is it? Having to take pills every day of your life so you don’t....well it’s not normal is it?”

“Hey, I’ll give you not normal,” April said. “I need to put my t-shirts away in colour groups. My wardrobe goes skirts, dresses, sweatshirts, hoodies, jackets and each clothes group goes from lightest to darkest in colour,” April said, talking about her OCD. “All the coat hangers have to be facing the same way or I freak out just like I do if the volume on the TV isn’t at an even number and don’t even get me started on the way things must be put into the kitchen cabinets,” April voice got higher as she spoke and Ruby managed a little laugh. “But Rubes, I love you so much and I don’t care if you need to take pills. You’re still going to be you. You’re still going to be the same girl that I love and as soon as I turn 18, I am going to the hospital and demanding that they test me to see if I am match.”

Ruby managed a small smile. “You’d really give me your kidney?”

“Of course,” April nodded. “I’d do anything for you.” April put her hand onto Ruby’s cheek and rubbed it gently.

“You’re amazing April,” Ruby said as the smile on her face grew a little as she looked at her girlfriend. “But eh, the even numbers on the TV thing might cause a little problem because I just have to have the volume on 33.” Ruby’s lips curled up at the sides as she tried to stop the laugh escaping her.

“No you don’t,” April laughed. “Now, come here,” April gently pushed Ruby’s head closer to her and placed a soft kiss onto her lips. “I’m going to be right here with you, every step of the way, okay.” April said and Ruby gave a gentle nod before they once again met in a kiss.

Thank you beebee, Sarah, Red Ranger 1 and Spotd1 for the comments.

Chapter 68

Ella stood on the fencing, one hand keeping herself steady as Rosie ragdoll was being tightly held in her other hand. Noah was standing next to her, and they were both looking down into the tigers pit at the zoo. “There’s babies.” Noah pointed to the tiger cubs as they ran around, the slightly bigger one trying to bite the ear of the smaller one.

“No,” Ella shook her head. “Thems not. Thems not Noah,” Ella turned her head and looked up at Brax as he walked behind them, placing his arms around their waists to keep them in place better so they didn’t fall. “Ay daddy?”

“What petal?” Brax questioned as he watched the tiger cubs playing as the older tigers lazed about in the sun.

“Them not babies.” Ella said as she pointed to the tiger cubs.

“Well what are they then?” Brax questioned.

“Tigers.” Ella answered matter of factly.

“No they is baby tigers.” Noah scowled at his sister.

“You’re both right,” Brax exhaled. “They are tigers but just little baby ones.” Brax said and Noah and Ella stuck their tongues out to each other in an I told you so kind of way.

“Oi, you pair being cheeky?” Charlie questioned as she stood beside Brax, running her hand through Ella’s ponytail.

“No mummy,” Noah shook his head. “We see’s tigerses.” Noah pointed down to the tigers as one of the adults ones stretched his legs out before he stood up and started to walk around the enclosure.

“Wow, they are cool huh?” Charlie smiled at her son as she watched the tiger cubs as they ran around together.

“Snap them.” Ella said as she pulled on Brax’s t-shirt. “Daddy snap them,” Brax took the camera from his pocket and took a few photos of the tigers. “Now me and mummy and Noah,” Ella instructed. “Oh and Rosie too.”

Brax smiled down at his daughter as he moved back to take a photo of them. Charlie moved into the middle of the twins and wrapped her arms around them, all of them with big grins on their faces as Brax clicked a couple of pictures of them. “Why Ruby there?” Noah pointed across to the bench where Ruby was sitting, looking down to the ground, sadly.

“I think she’s just tired buddy.” Charlie answered her son before looking up to Brax. Brax gave a little nod of his head.

“Right,” Brax lifted Ella down from the fencing. “Let’s go see the giraffes huh?” Brax said as he lifted Noah down.

“Yeah.” The twins answered excitedly as they started to run to the next animals, with Brax walking behind them. Charlie walked across to the bench and took a seat next to her eldest daughter.

“You’re a bit distracted today,” Charlie exhaled and Ruby gave a little snigger. “I know, I mean I understand why. You’ve got surgery tomorrow and well it can’t be nice knowing you have dialysis to come.”

“Have to get it though, right?” Ruby questioned. “I mean it sure is going to beat dying.”

“Rubes,” Charlie wrapped her arm around her daughter, allowing Ruby to rest against her mother. “You know I am so sorry that I can’t help you right away. I wish more than anything that I could get this surgery right now and you didn’t have to face the dialysis.”

“You don’t,” Ruby shook her head. “I know you want to help me, but you wouldn’t wish the baby away. This may not have been planned, but, it’s still your child and it’s okay to feel happy about it.”

Charlie gave a weak smile. “Still, I feel like I am letting you down and I truly am sorry.”

“I know, but, you’re not letting me down,” Ruby told her. “And April said she’ll get tested as soon as she turns 18, and that’s only a few months away so, you never know, maybe she’ll be a match and I won’t be on dialysis for too long.”

“I guess at the end of the day that’s all that matters, right?” Charlie questioned. “That you get a new kidney that’s going to work and whether that’s from me, April or from a stranger, well the main thing is you getting a kidney.” Charlie pursed her lips together.

“Mmm hmm,” Ruby nodded. “Anyways, c’mon, let’s go see these giraffes.” Ruby stood up from the bench and held her hand out, Charlie standing up and linking arms with her daughter as they walked down the zoo to catch up with Brax and the twins.

April walked into the diner where she was once again meeting her mother for lunch. She smiled as she saw Joanna sitting waiting on her at one of the tables. “You’re going to get me all fat if you keep suggesting we have lunches out.” April laughed as she sat down on the seat opposite her mother.

“Well there’s not much else to do in this town, is there?” Joanna scrunched her face up.

“Sure there is,” April answered. “We can spend the day at the beach or go for a walk or -”

Joanna laughed at her daughter. “Like walking though the bush getting all hot and sweaty with bugs flying around and the chances of snakes or even spiders attacking you?” Joanna shook her head. “Oh April darling that’s not for me.”

“I wasn’t talking about a hike through the bush,” April scrunched her face up. “There are some lovely walks by the lake that we could do,” April told her. “Or if that really isn’t your style we can go into Yabbie Creek and do some shopping. It’s like a 10 minute bus ride away.”

“Oh Yabbie Creek,” Joanna curled her nose up. “I seem to remember a lack of shops in their so called mall.”

“That was almost 6 years ago,” April sighed. “It’s really developed since then. I’m not sure you’ll find Gucci dresses or a pair of Christian Louboutins, but, there are some nice stores there now.”

“If you say so,” Joanna exhaled, not really sounding like she believed her daughter. “Well, anyways, how did the hospital go for your little lady friend?” Joanna questioned.

“Oh eh,” April pursed her lips together. Although she’s had a few days to get used to it, she still couldn’t really come to terms with how sick Ruby actually was. “Not great,” April answered. “She has renal failure. She’s going to need dialysis and eventually a transplant.”

“Oh,” Joanna sounded a little shocked. “Well you know maybe this is just a punishment for being one of those queers.”

“You’re unbelievable.” April shook her head as she stood up from the chair, going to leave the diner.

“No, April,” Joanna leaned forward and grabbed hold of her wrist. “Sorry, I eh....I shouldn’t have said that. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.” April pursed her lips together as she stared at her mother. As much as she wanted a relationship with her, she could see this lesbian thing really was always going to be an issue for them.

“Just don’t go making a remark like that again.” April told her as she sat back down.

“I won’t,” Joanna shook her head. “But you need to understand this is hard for me, darling. You don’t expect your daughter to tell you she wants to be with another woman, I’m trying.”

April gave a little snigger. She didn’t think her mother was trying at all, but to save argument she just gave a little nod, as if agreeing she was indeed trying. “Anyways, it’s really upsetting,” April took a deep breath, to compose herself. “I love her so much and I just want her to be okay.”

“Well doctors are pretty clever,” Joanna said. “And this dialysis thing seems to be pretty good, so...” Joanna trailed off. “I’m sure she’s getting the best help she can.”

“Yeah,” April exhaled lightly. “Anyways,” April picked up the menu from the table. She didn’t like talking about Ruby’s illness with her mother, who wasn’t that supportive when it came to their relationship, so she wanted to move the conversation on. “Let’s order some lunch.” April said before she started to read the menu to decide what she wanted to eat.

Casey yawned as he walked down the hall and as he entered the living room his eyes squinted at the light. He didn’t expect anyone else to be up, so seeing Ruby sitting on the couch startled him a little. “Can’t sleep?” Casey questioned as he walked over to her and took a seat next to her.

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “Every time I do get visions of the surgery going wrong,” Ruby told him. “There’s blood squirting out my arm, getting everywhere.”

“Nice,” Casey screwed his face up. “But, it’s pretty straight forward surgery for them, right?” Casey questioned. “I am sure it’ll go fine.”

“I hate needles,” Ruby shuddered. “How am I supposed to get dialysis and get a needle stuck in me for like 5 hours 3 times a week for God knows how long?”

“Don’t you like give yourself insulin every day?” Casey screwed his face up, a little confused.

“Yeah but it’s different,” Ruby sighed. “That’s not a needle that will be sicking in me for 5 hours doing stuff with my blood, is it?” Ruby said.

“Nah I guess not,” Casey answered. “You’ll be alright though, Rubes, I mean...you’re a strong girl. You’ll manage just fine and you’re mum is great and she’ll be with you and you have April...” Casey pursed his lips together. “How’s being a lesbian going for you?”

“I’m not a lesbian, Casey,” Ruby sighed. “I’ve been with guys and enjoyed it. So, I’m not you know....” Ruby trailed off as she cleared her throat. “But being with April is equally as enjoyable and it feels so right.”

“You’re a greedy bisexual,” Casey laughed. “Not satisfied with just the one sex, you need to try both,” Casey said and seeing the annoyed glance on Ruby’s face, he moved the conversation on. “Well I guess as long as you are happy then.....I’m happy for you.” Although it killed Casey to say it, he did want her to be happy, he’d just rather it was with him, but he needed to accept that that was never going to happen anymore.

“Thanks Case.” Ruby gave him an appreciative smile.

“Of course I wish it was me you were happy with but.....” Casey clicked his tongue. “You think if I didn’t sleep with Laura that we’d still be together now?”

“Maybe,” Ruby gave a little shrug. “But April would have still told me how she felt so it would have been you who I hurt instead of Romeo.” Ruby exhaled lightly. She was still upset over losing Romeo from her life. She did love him and hoped that one day they could be friends again but knew it would just take time.

“So either way we probably would have ended then?” Casey said.

“I guess, but that doesn’t mean you can excuse that you cheated on me.” Ruby told him.

“I know,” Casey answered. “I wasn’t trying too,” Casey exhaled. “Anyways, I’m going to grab a water then go back to bed,” Casey said as he stood up from the couch before bending down and placing his hand onto Ruby’s shoulder. “But don’t worry about tomorrow, you’ll be fine.” Casey gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze of comfort before walking through to the kitchen, leaving Ruby sitting on the couch hoping that Casey was right and that the surgery tomorrow would go fine.

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments. Beebee, all in good time :wink:

Chapter 69

Charlie was sitting next to her bed, reading a magazine as she waited for Ruby to wake up following her surgery. She felt an overwhelming urge to be sick hitting her, so she reached for the bottle of water she’d placed on Ruby’s bedside table and took a drink, this easing her sickness a little. She put her hand onto her chest as she swallowed. “Ugh, baby don’t start making me sick,” Charlie mumbled. “I need this time for Ruby. I’m not going to be much help to her if I need to have my head stuck down the toilet half the time.”

“Why are you talking about toilets?” Ruby voice was raspy as she spoke.

“Hey,” Charlie smiled down at her daughter as she sat up in the bed. “Here, have a drink,” Charlie handed Ruby the bottle of water and she took a drink. “You feel alright?”

“Just a bit groggy,” Ruby put the bottle of water back on the side table. “How long have I been out for?”

“A couple of hours,” Charlie answered. “How’s your arm?”

“It hurts a bit right now but I guess that’s to be expected,” Ruby answered. “You know considering I’ve just had surgery.” Ruby looked down to her arm that was in this moment, bandaged up and winced a little.

“Yeah,” Charlie gave her a half-hearted smile. She exhaled lightly as she ran her hand over her daughter’s forehead, brushing her hair back from her face. “Oh sweetheart,” Charlie felt herself welling up; she hated that her daughter was sick and even more so that there was nothing she could do to help. “This shouldn’t be happening. I’m so sorry.”

“It’s not your fault,” Ruby said. “And I’ll be okay, I will,” Ruby exhaled. “I’ll do this dialysis thing for a while and then.....” Ruby hit her hand off the bed. “There will be a match out there for me, there are billions of people in the world, so you know, someone will be a match.”

“Yeah,” Charlie took a deep breath. “We eh...we need to stay positive, right?”

“Exactly,” Ruby gave her mother a smile. “All will be good.” Ruby had to be hopeful; thinking anything else wasn’t an option.

“So,” Charlie exhaled. “You got some results yesterday that you might want to tell me about, don’t you think?” Ruby bit her lip. She knew Charlie was talking about her exam results that were sitting in the post, waiting for her when they arrived back from the zoo.

“Ahh,” Ruby clicked her tongue. “Well I passed them all but one.” Ruby spoke tentatively. Charlie always wanted her to do well in her schooling and Ruby knew she wasn’t very happy with her if she failed anything.

“Rubes,” Charlie sighed. “What did you fail?”

“Biology, so you know it’s really hard and I don’t really need it anyways so you know I....” Ruby stopped talking as she looked to her mother.

“Well I’m sure you tried your hardest,” Charlie exhaled. “And as you said you don’t need biology to be a music teacher, but, just you make sure you work hard so you can pass the classes you do need, yeah?” Charlie lightly rubbed the top of Ruby’s arm.

“Not sure that will be so easy,” Ruby sighed. “I’m probably going to have other things on my mind, not sure school work is going to be a priority for me.”

“Maybe not, no,” Charlie bit her lip. “We’ll see how you feel with the dialysis and stuff and....well we’ll see how things go alright?”

“Yeah,” Ruby answered. “So, anyways, let’s talk about brighter things,” Ruby got herself a little comfier on the bed. “How’s it going having Brax home?” Ruby questioned. “You seem to be getting on really well again.”

“Yeah it’s,” Charlie paused. “It’s nice having him around all the time again and....well it’s not perfect but...we’re getting there.”

“Looks pretty near too perfect to me,” Ruby said. “You seem way in love.”

“We love each other, there’s no doubts about that,” Charlie clicked her tongue. “It’s just....well we haven’t, you know...” Charlie raised her eyebrows.

“Eww,” Ruby screwed her face up. “Are you talking about your sex life? I don’t need to know about that.”

“You asked.” Charlie’s voice got higher as she spoke, defending herself.

“Not about that,” Ruby continued to sit with a screwed up face, disgusted that her mother mentioned her sex life to her. She gave a little shudder. “Anyways, can April come round tonight when you’re out at work?” Ruby questioned, keen to change the subject.

“I was actually thinking of not going to work,” Charlie answered. “Be at home in case you needed me.”

“Mum,” Ruby sighed. “I’ll be fine. It’s not like I had the transplant today, it was just minor surgery,” Ruby told her. “And Melanie is going to be around looking after the twins anyways, and Casey is usually around. Throw in April too and if I was to need anything then there’s people there to help,” Ruby told her. “Plus too get you if you were needed.” Ruby added as she saw the look on her mother’s face.

Charlie pursed her lips together, looking unsure. “Okay,” Charlie gave a little nod. “And yes you can have April over. You know you don’t need to ask.”

“Yeah but you said I did if I wanted her to sleepover,” Ruby voice got quieter as she looked away from her mother. “So...”

“Right,” Charlie cleared her throat. “Well as long as she gets the okay from Bianca then it’s fine with me,” Charlie told her daughter before looking down to her watch seeing it was nearing 3pm and she was yet to eat something. “How about I go get some sandwiches from the canteen?” Charlie questioned, just as the sounds of Ruby’s stomach rumbling could be heard. She was still asleep when the lady came around with lunch, so she’d missed out.

“Yeah sounds like I need it.” Ruby answered.

“Okay, I’ll be back soon.” Charlie said as she stood up from the chair and left the room to go and get them something to eat.

Bianca walked back into her house, surprised to see April sitting watching TV. “Oh, you remembered this place existed did you?” Ever since the school holidays started, April had been out with Ruby or with her mother.

“Ha-ha.” April turned the TV down as she looked around to her sister who was putting a couple of big folders onto the dining table.

“No, I’m serious, you not meeting Ruby?” Bianca asked.

“She is at the hospital.” April stood up from the couch and walked over to the table as Bianca took a seat.

“Oh of course,” Bianca answered quietly. “You’ll be seeing her later, I guess.”

“Yep.” April nodded.

“Surprised you’re not out with mum today then,” Bianca sighed. “You’ve spend an awful lot of time with her lately.” Bianca looked almost angry that her sister was spending so much time with their mother.

“So I’m not allowed to get to know my mother?” April questioned. “I just want to have a good relationship with her, Bianca; you can try and understand that, surely?”

“I just don’t see why you need her,” Bianca looked hurt. “I’ve been more of a mother to you than Joanna ever will be and I think she’s going to end up hurting you again,” Bianca said. “I just don’t want to see you getting hurt because you don’t deserve it.”

“Bianca, she wants to get to know me,” April told her. “And she’s looking for a place to stay. Doesn’t seem to me like she’s going anywhere anytime soon. Now you’ve made it pretty clear that you don’t want anything to do with her and fine, I can’t force you but please don’t ruin this for me.”

Bianca pursed her lips together as she looked up at her little sister. “Okay.” Bianca held her hands out in front of her, feeling defeated. She exhaled before looking back down to the first folder and opening it up, revealing some wallpaper.

“Redecorating?” April took a seat at the table as she looked to the wallpapers as Bianca looked through them.

Bianca nodded her head. “It’s time to change Rocco’s room,” Bianca answered. “Heath wants to make it a games room but there’s no way that is happening,” Bianca gave a little laugh. “It’s going to be a second guest room.”

“Why’s Heath getting a say anyways?” April felt a little confused. “It’s not like he lives here.”

“Well actually,” Bianca looked back up to April, leaning her arms against the table. “We’ve been talking about him moving back in.”

“Wow,” April was shocked. “What happened to taking it slow?” April questioned. “You guys have only been back together 5 minutes.”

“I don’t know,” Bianca gave a sort of shrug. “It just feels right.”

“So he’s officially moving in then?” April questioned and Bianca gave a nod in reply. “Thanks for asking me.”

“You don’t pay the bills.” Bianca replied.

“No but I still live here, would be nice to have been asked if I didn’t mind a new housemate.” April exhaled.

“Well I knew since you are such a loving supportive sister that you wouldn’t mind at all and welcome him back with open arms.” Bianca said and April gave a little snigger.

“So when’s he moving in then?” April questioned.

“Probably by the end of the week,” Bianca told her. “Which is why I need to make a start to this guest room now otherwise he’ll be bringing the pool table and X-box and dartboard with him.”

April gave a little laugh. “Well we best get to work then.” April said before reaching for the second book of samples and helping her sister to pick a new look for the bedroom.

Charlie was standing in the kitchen, looking down at the food on the plate. She scrunched her face up as she had an overwhelming urge to be sick. “You okay?” Henry questioned as he saw the look on her face.

“Fine,” Charlie exhaled as she picked the plates up and walked out of the kitchen. All the way over to the table she could feel the bile in her throat. She was going to be sick and there was no way she could stop it. She picked up her pace and walked over to the table, placing the food down with the best smile she could manage. Before she was able to stop herself, she was sick, right there on the spot. “I’m so sorry.” Charlie was a little shaky as she wiped her hand over her mouth, feeling far better.

“It’s on my pants.” The man glared up at her seriously unimpressed.

“I’m so sorry.” Charlie said again as Brax and Heath came running over from the bar.

“Is everything alright Sir?” Brax questioned before looking down and seeing the sick on his pants and the floor. “Heath go and get stuff to clean this up.” Brax said.

“I’m not cleaning that up,” Heath screwed his face up. “It’s her sick. She can do it.”

“Heath I am asking you to do it,” Brax spoke authoritively to his brother. Heath looked at Charlie and shook his head before walking off towards the kitchen. “I’m sorry Sir, she’s pregnant.”

“So that makes it alright to be sick on her customers?” The man glared up at him. “Do you know who I am?” He bellowed.

“Yes,” Brax nodded. “I can assure you Sir that has never happened before and never will again,” Brax said. “As I said she’s pregnant and just has a little bit of morning sickness right now.”

“I’m going to clean up.” The man stood up from the chair and walked out to the toilets, shaking his head at what had occurred. Brax looked to the other people at the table who were all sitting silently not really sure what to do or say, before looking back to Charlie.

“Do you want to go to the toilet?” Brax questioned and Charlie shook her head.

“No I feel fine.” Charlie was a little red but Brax just figured she was embarrassed.

“Go to the office then,” Brax told her. “Take 10 minutes.” Charlie gave him a weak smile before walking down to the office, glad to be away from the faces that were watching her. She sat down on the seat and lightly rubbed her stomach.

“Not so great with the timing there,” Charlie said. “And this is why mummy wanted to be on the bar tonight but silly Uncle Heath wouldn’t budge,” Charlie exhaled. “Aww baby.” Charlie leaned forward and rested her head against the desk and shut her eyes. She lay there like that for what must have been 5 minutes before looking up as the door opened. She bit her lip as she saw Brax bringing her a cup of tea and a couple of wafers that get served with the ice-cream.

“We don’t have any crackers here but thought this might do.” Brax said as he put them down on the desk. Charlie looked to the wafers before looking back up to Brax and smiling.

“We can try,” Charlie answered, loving that Brax was trying to help her feel better. Although she felt fine now after she’d been sick, she appreciated what he was trying to do so took a bite of the wafer before wrapping her hands around the cup of tea. “Thanks,” Charlie spoke quietly. “He’s not too mad is he?”

“Told him the meal is on the house,” Brax answered. “So he proceeded to order 2 bottles of the most expensive wine that we have.” Brax gave a little laugh.

“Brax, I am so sorry.” Charlie said.

“It’s fine,” Brax answered. “Although I don’t think Heath is too pleased about having to clean it up.”

“Well that’s what he gets for insisting I served tonight,” Charlie exhaled and Brax agreed. “Hey, who is that man, anyways?” Charlie questioned, recalling he asked Brax if he knew who he was.

“Ehm,” Brax scratched the back of his head. “He’s just the restaurant critic.”

“Brax,” Charlie’s eyes widened. “Why didn’t you tell me there was a critic coming and why did you let me serve his table?” Charlie questioned. “We are going to get such a bad review now. God, of all the people to be sick on I had to choose the man who was here to review the restaurant.”

Brax gave a little laugh. “Don’t worry,” Brax tucked her hair behind her ear. “He usually leaves a good review.”

“But the waitress isn’t normally sick on him,” Charlie said before taking a drink of her tea. “So it might be different this time.”

“He’s a good guy,” Brax told her. “I’m sure apart from your little being sick on him moment he’ll give us a great review,” Brax smiled down at her. “Besides you are the hottest waitress ever, so, you know, he’ll bring that into account.” Brax grinned and Charlie gave a little laugh.

“Get back to work.” Charlie said as Brax continued to give her a cheeky smile.

“You just take ten minutes yeah.” Brax said and Charlie gave a little nod before watching Brax as he walked out of the office. She exhaled lightly before taking another drink of her tea as she ran her hand over her stomach, hoping that something like that would never happen again.

Freakie42, beebee, Sarah, Zoe and Spotd1, thank you for the comments. :wub:

Chapter 70

6 weeks later

Charlie, Brax and the twins were waiting in the hospital for Charlie to get her 12 week scan. Noah and Ella were at the end of the corridor looking out the window as they waited. Charlie took a quick look at her kids to make sure they were okay before looking back to Brax. “I had a dream.” Charlie paused for a second.

“Oh,” Brax sounded intrigued. “World peace, equal rights everywhere...ooh Ryan Reynolds asked you to marry him?”

“Shut up,” Charlie hit his thigh as Brax gave a little chuckle. “We came for this scan and she told me we were having sextuplets.”

“Sextuplets?” Brax widened his eyes. “That’s six babies, right?”

“Uh-huh,” Charlie answered. “Kind of freaked me out for coming here today. What if it was a premonition?” Charlie asked. “Hearing we were having the twins was scary enough, never mind hearing we are having six babies.”

“It’s gotta be pretty rare that someone has sextuplets,” Brax told her. “Especially naturally,” Brax exhaled. “That kinda stuff is more likely to happen with fertility treatment and clearly we didn’t need that.”

“Still,” Charlie widened her eyes as her leg started to shake. “Makes me scared for going in.”

Brax gave a little laugh but before he could reply he heard Ella squealing as she ran back over to her parents. “Daddy,” Ella raised her voice. “Noah be’s mean.” Ella said as she looked up to Brax as Noah ran back over to his parents, also.

“Noah’s being mean?” Brax was confused by this; normally it was Noah complaining about Ella.

“Uh-huh,” Ella nodded. “He said he throw Rosie out window.” Ella hugged Rosie ragdoll close to her.

“Noah Ross Braxton did you really say that to your sister?” Charlie questioned as she looked down to Noah who was hiding his face against her leg.

“I not really.” Noah mumbled as he looked up to his parents.

“No it wouldn’t be nice would it?” Brax questioned as Ella climbed up onto his knee, keeping Rosie far away from Noah’s grasp for safety.

“Nope.” Noah shook his head, looking all wide eyed at his parents.

“Charlotte Braxton,” Charlie and Brax looked up as they heard her name being called. “If you’d like to come through.” Charlie stood up and took Noah’s hand as Brax walked through with Ella in his arms. Charlie lay herself down on the bed as Brax took a seat next to her, sitting Ella down on one of his knee’s as he lifted Noah up onto the other. Ella looked at her brother with a scowl before she moved Rosie to her other side, still clearly fearing for her safety.

“Are you two excited to see the baby today?” The technician smiled down at the twins as she put the gloves on before reaching for the gel.

“It a whoopsie.” Ella corrected the technician.

“No,” Noah said. “It brother buttons.”

“Oh I see,” The technician gave a little laugh as Charlie moved her singlet up to allow her to put gel onto her stomach. “Well if you two look at that screen there you’ll see the baby soon.” The technician pointed to the screen before picking up the transducer and placing it onto Charlie’s stomach and began the scan, checking all was okay with the baby.

“What’s that noise?” Noah questioned.

“That’s the baby’s heartbeat.” Charlie answered and Brax noticed that she was about to cry at hearing her baby’s heartbeat for the first time.

“Wow,” Ella widened her eyes. “It so loud and fast.”

“Yeah,” The technician smiled. “It’s a very strong heartbeat.”

“What do you think guys?” Brax sounded a little emotional as he looked down to the twins. “That’s buttons there.” Brax pointed to the screen and Noah and Ella stared at it for a moment.

“That’s an alien.” Ella screeched. “Oh no mummy.” Ella slapped her forehead with her palm. “Oh no.”

“It’s not an alien petal,” Charlie laughed. “It a baby. Just the one in there, right?” Charlie questioned as she looked back to the technician. The technician gave a little laugh before she nodded her head.

“There’s just the one.” The technician answered and Charlie felt rather relieved upon hearing this.

“That’s great,” Brax smiled. “What do you think bud?” Brax questioned as he looked down to Noah.

“Uhm,” Noah scratched the side of his head as he continued to stare at the screen. “I think it an alien too.” Noah answered.

“It’s not an alien,” Brax laughed. “It’s your baby brother or sister.”

“I no want an alien brother.” Noah shook his head as he looked down sadly.

“Well I’ll leave you to convince the kids otherwise as I take a closer look at the baby and check everything is healthy.” The technical said as she turned the screen to face her so she could carry out the necessary checks to the unborn child.

Ruby snuggled on the couch next to April. It was the end of their first week back at school, and they couldn’t believe how quickly the summer had gone. There were a couple of people who made nasty remarks towards them, but Ruby had really surprise April in how well she had dealt with it, just ignoring the taunts and walking away from school with her girlfriend, not going to show them that the comments bothered her. “So, we’ve faced the first week with not much abuse.” April smiled as she lightly moved her hand in a circular motion over Ruby’s shoulder.

“Probably because most people feel sorry for me,” Ruby exhaled. It had gotten around town, and then school that Ruby had renal failure. “No one wants to be the bitch that picks on the girl with useless kidneys.”

“I guess not,” April said. “So, you any nearer to knowing when you can start your dialysis yet?” April questioned.

“Nah,” Ruby shook her head. “I have a hospital appointment next week so I guess Sid will check then,” Ruby told her. “In a way I’m glad it’s not started yet. I’ve been told dialysis is awful at first until you get used to it. You can be really ill after treatment, apparently. Tired, sick...you know that stuff,” Ruby scrunched her face up. “But then of course I want to get better so...” Ruby gave a little shrug. “Has to be done, I guess.”

“You’re a strong girl Rubes,” April placed a soft kiss on her head. “And you have me to help. I’ll help you through it. I’ll hold your hair back if you want to be sick, I’ll put a cold compress on your forehead if you have a temperature, I’ll keep you warm if you’re feeling cold.” April smiled lovingly down at Ruby.

“Oh it must be love.” Ruby laughed as she turned to face April.

“You know how much I love you baby,” April smiled as she leaned in and placed a soft kiss on Ruby’s lips. “I’d do anything for you.”

“I love how amazing you are,” Ruby smiled. “I eh...our relationship was just starting out when I got sick and some people would run at that, but you.....” Ruby pursed her lips together as she tucked April’s hair behind her ear before resting her hand against her cheek, lightly caressing it. “I love you April Scott,” April got a huge grin on her face and felt her heart flutter at hearing Ruby saying those 3 little words for the first time. April had said it to Ruby many a time and never heard it back, but hearing it now was amazing. April leaned forward and placed a kiss onto Ruby’s lips, both girls quickly letting the kiss grow more passionate as their tongues crashed into each other’s mouths. Ruby moved her hands so they were resting against April’s back, as April ran her hands through Ruby’s hair, before slowly, moving them down to her body, until she found the bottom of her singlet. The kiss continued to deepen as April pulled Ruby’s singlet from her body, before leaning into her, causing Ruby to lie back on the couch and April to straddle over her. Both girls gave a little moan, before April started to kiss Ruby’s neck, the kisses soft and quick as she made her way down her chest and gently kissed Ruby’s breast. She used all the strength she had to not pull the bra off her right away, but instead placed another kiss onto her breast as Ruby’s hands continued to caress April’s back. “Mmm, April,” Ruby moaned. “I....”

“Do you want me to stop?” April reluctantly pulled away from kissing her girlfriends breast and looked into her mesmerising green eyes. She knew Ruby sometimes felt too tired for sex, so sometimes they had to stop before it got to that. “If you’re feeling too tired we can -”

“No, don’t stop,” Ruby answered. “I just think we should move to my bedroom.” Ruby raised her eyebrows seductively.

April smiled as she jumped up from the couch, not needing to be asked twice. Ruby stood up and planted her lips against her girlfriends, their tongues immediately going into each other’s mouths as they made their way out of the living room towards Ruby’s bedroom.

Charlie, Brax, Casey, Ruby, April and the twins were sitting around the table, Casey being a little bit squashed on the end, sitting on the stool that normally just sat in the pantry. It was really only a table for 6, but with April also staying for dinner, they had to make something work. The twins had been telling them that mummy was having an alien. No matter how many times Charlie, Brax and the technician told them it was indeed a baby, they wouldn’t have it, they were sure it was an alien. “See it here,” Ella pointed to one of the scan pictures that they’d got printed off. “Alien.” Ella said as she hit her index finger against the picture. April and Ruby gave a little laugh.

“So, just the one this time then?” April questioned as she looked down to the picture she had in her hand.

“Yes, thankfully.” Charlie nodded as she put her glass of water back on the table.

“Does sort of look like an alien though,” Casey said as he looked to the picture in April’s hands. “I can see where they are coming from.”

“Don’t encourage them,” Brax glared at his youngest brother and before the twins could say anything about the baby actually being an alien, he gave them a new task to keep them occupied. “Right, so I think we should start thinking about nice names for little buttons,” Brax smiled. “Anyone have any suggestions?”

“Uhm,” Ella scratched the side of her head. “Rosie, like my doll.” Ella grinned, pleased with her choice.

“Ahh two Rosie’s might get a big confusing,” Charlie answered. “What about Gracie?”

“Aww Gracie,” April gushed. “That is so cute.”

“Max is a neat name,” Casey suggested before taking a drink of his soda. “Kinda works on a girl too eh.”

“Bit masculine for a little girl I think,” Brax said as he moved his finished plate of food a little further into the table and rested his arms out on to it. “What about, for a boy, Jamie?”

“See, I like Jamie for a girl.” April answered.

“Yeah,” Charlie agreed. “Definitely nicer on a girl.”

“Hmm,” Brax looked unsure. “What do you think Noah?”

“You no to name an alien,” Noah exhaled. “I don’t like one.”

“Right,” Brax decided to ignore the alien comment. There were only so many times you could say it’s not an alien before it got too annoying. “Rubes, you’re awfully quiet.”

“I’m just tired,” Ruby answered. “You know pretty full on first week back at school and then....yeah.” Ruby raised her eyebrows.

“You got a name, Ruby?” Ella questioned as she looked up to her sister all wide eyed.

“Eh,” Ruby scratched the back of her head. “Imogen or Rhys.” Ruby answered before taking a drink of her water.

“Imogen,” Ella repeated with a giggle. “I like it.” Ella gave one quick nod of the head.

“It’s cute,” Charlie smiled before looking around the table to see everyone had finished their dinner. “Right,” Charlie stood up from the table as she picked up hers and Ruby’s plates before looking to Brax who started pilling the rest of the plates together. “Who’s for ice-cream?”

“None for me,” Ruby shook her head as she yawned. “Sorry, can I please be excused?”

“Sure,” Charlie answered and Ruby gave her a smile before she left the kitchen. “She been alright at school today?” Charlie questioned as she looked from April to Casey and back to April again.

“Yeah as far as I am aware,” Casey answered. “Think it’s what she and April most probably got up to after school that’s tired her out, ay?” Casey laughed as he looked to April who had gone red.

“I’m just going to see if she’s alright.” April pointed through the room before quickly vacating the kitchen.

“So, ice-cream,” Brax cleared his throat as he looked down to the twins who were both nodding in answer. “Case?”

“Sure, why not.” Casey answered and Charlie sighed lightly hoping that Ruby would soon be able to start this dialysis as she was becoming more and more tired trying to cope without it.

Archived