Trust in Me

Guest Danni02

Thank you for the comments. I am going on a skiing holiday in France so this will be the last chapter I post till I get back. Hope you enjoy. :)

Chapter 21

Brax was pushing the pram as the twins walked slightly in front of their parents, excited to see the fish in the big pond at the aquarium. They had a cup of torn up bread each to feed them with, and Noah in particular was looking forward to this, showing an interest in all animals since an early age. “What fish is these mummy?”

“Uh,” Charlie caught up with the kids who were leaning over the pond. “A silver and orange one.” Charlie screwed her face up as she looked to Brax for help. Her knowledge of fish was pretty basic.

“It’s a Koi fish.” Brax told his son.

“Here fisheses.” Ella said as she leaned over the sidewall waving her hand about.

“How did you know that?” Charlie looked to her husband questioningly.

“I read the sign.” Brax made a gesture with his head.

“Oh, would be a help if we did that, yeah.” Charlie spoke quietly before looking back to the twins, watching as Noah threw bits of bread to the fish.

“I see one,” Noah shrieked in excitement as he pointed to the fish. “Mummy see.”

“I see it bud,” Charlie smiled. “It’s cool.”

“I’ll touch it.” Ella leaned even further forward, putting her hand into the water.

“Ella no,” Charlie pulled her daughter back slightly. “Be careful, you don’t want to fall in. Just you feed the fish.”

Ella gave her mother a frown. “I swim with these fisheses.”

“You don’t want to swim with them,” Charlie shook her head, slightly amused by her daughter’s interest at the Koi fish. They weren’t exactly the most attractive looking fish. “You’re supposed to feed them.” Ella sighed before she started to throw the bread into the water, watching in amazement as the fish all gathered around, fighting for the bits of bread.

“They’s all hungry,” Noah gasped. “Really hungry, look.”

“You’re doing a good job feeding them,” Brax bent down to the twins’ level and rubbed their backs as he watched Noah picking up one piece of bread at a time to throw, plenty bread left in his cup as Ella was already tipping hers upside down and shaking it, hoping somehow more bread would appear after already throwing all of hers into the water in a few big handfuls.

“My bread is gone,” Ella declared sadly. “Share Noah. “ Ella put her hand out to grab Noah’s cup.

“No,” Noah squealed as he pulled his cup closer to himself. “This is mines.”

“You to share.” Ella banged her foot on the ground as she pulled the cup from her brother’s hand.

“Hey hey,” Brax tried to save the cup but it went falling into the pond, the bread all spilling out across the water as the fish came for it. “Ella that was Noah’s.”

“Mines gone.” Ella scowled at her father.

“Well you used it all too quickly,” Charlie answered as she watched Noah bowing his head down as he looked like he was about to cry. “Now you’ve spoiled Noah’s.”

Brax picked the cup from the water and took Ella’s from her hand and walked them over to the bin. “I wanted more.” Ella said as she once again stomped her foot off the ground.

“Don’t be greedy. Now say sorry to Noah.” Charlie said as Noah started pulling on her dress, wanting to be lifted up.

“No,” Ella moaned. “I do nothing.” Ella shook her head.

“C’mon say sorry then we’ll go see something else, yeah?” Charlie said.

Ella sighed as she ran over to Noah and put her arms around him, a sort of half headlock, half hug style. “Sorry.” Ella said before she let go.

“Good girl.” Brax smiled down at his daughter but Ella just scowled up at him.

Charlie exhaled as she picked Noah up into her arms and wiped her hand over his face. “What would you like to go see now?” Charlie questioned.

“The sharks.” Noah spoke quietly as he played with Charlie’s necklace with one of his hands.

“Ah wow the sharks mate, they’ll be cool.” Brax took Ella’s hand but she pulled away from him and ran to Charlie’s side, putting her little hand in hers.

“Can I uppy too mummy?” Ella questioned.

“I can’t lift you both at once anymore,” Charlie answered as they started walking. “You’re getting too heavy for mummy.”

“Well I later, okay?” Ella questioned.

“Sure thing petal.” Charlie smiled down at her daughter as they continued to walk along the path to get to the inside part of the aquarium.

“You can go on daddy’s shoulders right now,” Brax said as he pushed the pram, slightly behind Charlie and the twins. Brax waited for a while on a reply but realising he wasn’t going to get one, he spoke again. “Ella, did you hear me?”

“Yes daddy,” Ella snapped up at him. “I no want to be on your shoulders.”

Brax sighed lightly. Ella was like her mother in more than looks, and he knew she was still mad with him for not playing with her the day before in favour of Katie. The best thing for him to do would be not to push her. That was the last thing he needed to do right now unless he wanted the stubborn little toddler to have a full blown temper tantrum. “It would save you walking,” Charlie said as she looked down to Ella and Brax smiled lightly at the fact that even though things with them were bad right now, she was still willing to help him in winning over Ella again. “I’d take up the offer if I was you.”

“No,” Ella shook her head. “He has Katie. It’s okay. I walk with you mummy,” Brax exhaled sadly. He couldn’t help that he couldn’t give the twins as much attention right now. Katie had no-one, so she really needed him right now. “When we see Nemo fish?”

“And Dory, Ella, we’ll see Dory.” Noah cheered from Charlie’s arms.

“Yeah we’ll see all those fish inside,” Charlie smiled. “There’s a dolphin show too.”

“Wow.” The twins gasped excited.

“I think there is a whale show as well,” Brax said. “So we’ve got lots to do today.”

“Wow, this is the best day.” Ella danced a little as she walked, excited for everything she was getting to see.

“We see the sharks first?” Noah asked, still holding the little love heart pendant in his hand. The necklace a gift from Brax to Charlie, given to her during the early days of their relationship.

“Yeah mate, we’re going in now.” Brax exhaled lightly as they walked inside, Charlie putting Noah down and him and Ella running over to the window excitedly, to see the sharks and fish swimming around.

April walked back into the house where she was currently staying to find Ruby’s books scattered across the kitchen table, but Ruby nowhere to be seen. “Rubes,” April walked further into the house to see Ruby sitting on the couch reading the latest edition of Cosmopolitan while drinking a smoothie that April was pretty sure was bought from the surf club. “Studying hard I see.”

“It’s called taking a break,” Ruby smiled nervously up to April. She was glad she was home. “What took you so long? I had a shower, did like a good hour of maths revision, went to the surf club and the store to buy this magazine and still you weren’t home,” Ruby exhaled. “Don’t tell me that you changed your mind and were pashing her for 2 hours straight.”

“No,” April gave a little laugh as she sat on the couch next to Ruby. “It just took me a while to convince her I just wanted to be friends. She thought I was just freaking out a bit because she’d be my first girlfriend.”

“Right,” Ruby gave a little smile. “So, you still want that to be me?”

“It’s all I’ve ever wanted, Rubes,” April smiled as she rested her hand against Ruby’s thigh. Ruby feeling all tingly when April touched her, a funny feeling in her stomach. She remembered Charlie saying she felt that way when she knew she liked Joey, so she was pretty sure she was making the right decision. “You’re gorgeous,” Ruby felt her face getting hotter so she knew she must be blushing. “Aww you look even cuter when you blush.” April laughed.

“Shut up,” Ruby said as she leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on April’s lips, April letting it deepen for a moment. Ruby pulled back as they gave each other a smile. “So,” Ruby cleared her throat. “What happens now?”

“Well usually we’d get to know each other but considering we’ve been the best of friends since we were the twins’ age, I think we already know each other pretty well.”

“Yeah, I’d think so,” Ruby gave a little laugh. “So maybe nothing much will really change then.”

“What you mean besides from the fact that we’ll pash and one day be in a sexual relationship?” April questioned.

“Well yes, of course,” Ruby bit her lip. “But we can take it slow, right?” Although Ruby knew she liked April and enjoyed kissing her, she wasn’t about to rush into anything too quickly.

“Yeah, I’d like to as well,” April answered. “Pashing you is enough for me right now. You know, we should wait until we are both ready for the next step.” April sounded nervous. She was already in love with Ruby so she didn’t want to do anything to mess that up.

“Good,” Ruby smiled as she saw April moving her head closer to her and placing a kiss on her lips. Ruby smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen as their tongues found each other’s mouths. April rested her hand on the back of Ruby’s head as she moved herself closer to her, their bodies touching together. “Not that it’s not really nice kissing you, but eh, do you think we should probably do some studying?”

“Mmm, yeah I think so,” April pursed her lips together. “You still need biology help, right?”

“If you don’t mind.” Ruby answered as she took a drink of the smoothie. “Mmm and try this. It’s a new smoothie flavour they have down at the surf club. Peach and Raspberry.”

April leaned down and put the straw into her mouth, taking a drink of Ruby’s smoothie. “Mmm that’s so good.” April said.

“I thought you’d like it,” Ruby smiled. “I bought you your usual Strawberry Banana but if you want this one I’ll have yours.”

“Nah it’s cool thanks, I’ll have the Strawberry Banana one for today,” April smiled as she stood up from the couch with Ruby getting up too. “I guess it’s in the fridge?” April said as they walked through to the kitchen.

“No, I put it in the oven,” Ruby answered with a straight face. April turned around and cocked her head to the side as she sighed. “Yes it’s in the fridge.” Ruby gave a little laugh as she poked April’s side, causing her to give a little squeal. April was very tickly. Ruby laughed lightly as she put her hands around April’s stomach, walking behind her into the kitchen, in hope that they would use this last weekend of revision wisely before their Year 11 exams started on Monday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments. Hope you like this one. :)

Chapter 22

Ella was sitting in the restaurant, her little feet dangling over the end of the chair. She sighed lightly as she leaned her head down against the table, staring up at Charlie. “Don’t lean against the table petal.” Charlie said as she rubbed her daughters back.

Ella sighed as she sat back and looked to the buggy where Katie was laying. “She go home mummy?”

“Soon.” Charlie answered.

“Daddy play with me then.” Ella sighed.

Charlie exhaled as she lightly ran her hand through Ella’s ponytail. “Daddy was trying to be nice to you today but you wouldn’t talk to him.”

“When?” Ella questioned as she screwed her face up.

“Well he offered you a lift on his shoulders so you didn’t need to walk but you wouldn’t talk to him.” Charlie said as she lightly rubbed her daughters head.

“No.” Ella sighed as she looked up, on hearing her brother yelling across the restaurant.

“Mummy mummy,” Noah shrieked as he ran across to her. “I did a poop in the toilet, I did a poop in the toilet,” Noah yelled, pleased with his achievement as his little legs carried him as fast as they could. “I pooped mummy....I did.”

“Shhh Noah,” Charlie laughed lightly as he climbed up onto her knee. “Not so loud.” Charlie looked around and saw a few people in the restaurant staring over to them.

“But I pooped.” Noah shouted.

“Yeah and that’s great. Mummy’s really proud of you baby, but quiet voices, okay?” Charlie said as Brax sat down at the table.

“Tell her daddy,” Noah shrieked. “Tell her.”

Brax laughed at his son’s excitement over using the toilet. “You used the big boy toilet.” Brax smiled proudly at his son.

“I is a big boy.” Noah gave a grin as Charlie kissed the side of his head.

“Yes you are.” Charlie smiled.

“So, none of you going to sit next to daddy?” Brax questioned as he looked to his kids.

“No.” Ella shook her head.

“Noah, you go sit next to him so we can eat, yeah?” Charlie questioned. Noah jumped down from Charlie’s knee and ran over to the seat next to his dad and climbed up onto it.

“We see dolphins?” Ella asked as she looked to her mother.

“Yeah after lunch,” Charlie answered as she screwed her face up, looking towards the buggy. “Someone needs her nappy changed.”

“You’ll have to do it.” Brax said.

“What? Why?” Charlie wondered.

“There’s no changing facilities in the men’s room here.” Brax said. “Never is much really, being honest.”

“Well surely there’s a baby changing room?” Charlie questioned.

“Nah just male and female toilets and unless you are going to make me change her on the sinks then please, Charlie. You can easily change her nappy.” Brax sighed as he looked down to Katie.

Charlie sighed as she stood up and put the nappy bag over her shoulder before lifting Katie out of the buggy. She walked over to the female toilets and lay Katie down on the changing table. “I wish Brax wouldn’t dress you in Ella’s clothes. You’re not Ella; you’re not our little girl. This was Ella’s dress,” Charlie sighed as she pushed the little white and pink dress up her body and took off the dirty nappy. “You know what baby; maybe if I did more things for you then Brax would have more time for the twins. Ella especially wants some of daddy’s attention. I know it’s not all your fault. You’re helpless and need someone and after the way Brax was brought up he wanted more for his children so he is just trying to be the best father he can possibly be. Maybe he’s just trying too hard with you right now though. I think that’s his problem, I do,” Charlie sighed as she pulled another wipe from the box and wiped Katie. “No offence but I don’t really want to take care of you, but for my little girl I will, because she is everything to me, so, for the next few days you might see a little more of me, okay?” Charlie sighed as she put the new nappy under Katie’s bottom before fixing down the tabs. “But I do hope your mummy comes back for you soon, you belong with her.” Charlie sighed as she put the wipes and dirty nappy into the bin before putting some sanitizer onto her hands, refreshing them before lifting Katie into her arms, letting he dress fall back down over her bottom. She lightly rubbed Katie’s back before she picked up the nappy bag and left the toilets to re-join Brax and the twins for some lunch.

“We see’d all the fisheses,” Noah said excitedly as he ran into the house to find April and Ruby sitting at the table with their school books. “Ruby, Apil we did. Look at my shark.” Noah climbed up onto Ruby’s knee as he showed her the stuffed animal.

“Aww wow, that’s so cool bud.” Ruby smiled as she ran he hand over her brothers hair.

“I got’s a dolphin one.” Ella said as she climbed up onto April’s knee. “Look Apil, look.”

“Yeah it’s cool,” April smiled. “Have you named her yet?”

“I will call her Apil,” Ella announced as Charlie and Brax walked into the house with Katie lying in Brax’s arms, her hands grasped tightly around his thumb as she tried to get it into her mouth. “Dolphin Apil.”

“Ah wow, it’s going to be one cool dolphin then.” April smiled down at Ella as she giggled.

“Ruby.” Noah said as he looked up to her lifting his shark high so she could see it.

“Yeah?” Ruby questioned.

“This is Ruby.” Noah said as he looked to his shark.

“Ahh April gets to be a nice dolphin and I’m a mean old shark?” Ruby screwed her face up as she looked up to her mother who was laughing lightly at her son.

“No Ruby,” Noah shook his head. “She’s a nice shark okay?”

“Ahh that’s good then.” Ruby smiled.

“Right you two,” Charlie gestured for the kids to come over to her. “Leave Ruby and April to revise. We’ll go play something before dinner, yeah?”

“And daddy?” Noah asked as he ran over to Charlie.

“He won’t Noah.” Ella shook her head as she ran over to Charlie.

“Maybe he will.” Noah said as they walked through to the living room with Charlie, leaving Ruby and April to their revision.

“So, will you tell your mother about us?” April questioned.

Ruby gave a nervous laugh. “Tomorrow. I’ll tell her tomorrow.” Ruby answered. “Besides, it’s kind of nice that’s it’s our little secret right now, don’t you think?” Ruby gave a little smile as she leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on April’s lips. April smiled into the kiss as she let it deepen. Charlie walked back into the kitchen to get drinks for the twins and was kind of shocked to see April and Ruby in a rather passionate looking embrace. She took a few steps back and smiled to herself, thinking Ruby didn’t take long to make her mind on what she wanted to do.

Charlie sighed as she sat up in the bed. She looked to the digital clock on her bedside table and saw it was 4.53am. She got out of bed and walked through to the living room to see Brax trying to get Katie back to sleep. She must have been crying for almost an hour but she was showing no signs of stopping anytime soon. “Sorry,” Brax said as he saw the look on Charlie’s face. “I am trying my hardest. I don’t know what’s wrong with her. I’ve fed her, burped her, changed her, sang to her, rocked her, checked for trapped wind....everything. She just won’t stop crying.”

“Yeah so I’ve heard.” Charlie yawned as she heard a door creaking and turned to look down the hall to see the twins walking down towards her.

“She so noisy tonight.” Noah sighed as he rubbed his tired eyes.

“You be quiet.” Ella scowled up at Katie.

“Right daddy will take you two back to bed.” Charlie said as she glanced at Brax before looking down to the twins.

“Charlie I need to get Katie settled.” Brax sighed.

“Look, you’ve been trying for a good hour and haven’t been successful. You’re getting all tense and stressed and she can sense that so you’re probably making her worse,” Charlie exhaled. Of course she’d rather not have to step in, but everyone needed sleep and maybe being in someone’s arms who wasn’t so stressed might help Katie settle. “Give me a try.” Charlie said hesitantly as she held her arms out for the baby. Brax looked pretty shocked, but was glad of the offer of a break from trying to settle her so he went with it.

“Thanks.” Brax smiled lightly as he put Katie into Charlie’s arms, before walking the twins back down to their bedroom. Charlie looked down to Katie who was screaming at the top of her lungs and pursed her lips together before walking to the couch and taking a seat as she gently rocked her from side to side.

“Shhh baby. We don’t need all this crying,” Charlie said as she moved Katie in her arms so she was over her shoulder. Noah liked to be held this way when he was a baby, so it was worth a shot, Charlie thought. She gently patted Katie’s back as she started to move her body slightly, rocking herself back and forth. “Shhh baby, be nice and quiet and go back to sleep. You missing your mummy? You were probably starting to recognise her and then she just left you here with these strange people. I’m probably not helping with all this tension I’m causing either really, right?” Charlie sighed lightly as Katie’s cries became softer. “You’re a sweet little baby but I’m sorry I don’t want you to belong to Brax. It would change things with us forever. We’d never be the same again and you don’t need to be growing up in that sort of environment. You’re mummy needs to realise she’s made a mistake leaving you and come back for you. Hopefully telling us she also made a mistake and Brax isn’t your daddy.” Charlie stopped talking as she saw Brax coming back into the room.

“You got her to sleep,” Brax gave her an appreciative smile. “Thanks.” Brax took Katie back in his arms and placed her gently down in the moses basket before taking a seat next to his wife on the couch.

“Well I need sleep so...” Charlie trailed off before she pursed her lips together. “I hate that the results are taking so long to come back,” Charlie exhaled. “This week feels like it’s gone on forever and we’re only half way through waiting.”

“I know,” Brax answered. “It’s been tough. But it’s only a few more days then we’ll know.”

“I’m just scared of what’s going to happen when we do.” Charlie sighed lightly as she looked away from Brax.

“We’ll talk and we’ll....if I am the father, we’ll sort something out, I promise. You and the twins mean so much to me. Ruby too, and I don’t want to lose you from my life.”

“Would you lose Katie then? If she was your daughter?” Charlie questioned.

“I meant what I said this morning,” Brax replied. “If I am her father I will be in her life.”

“And if I made you chose?” Charlie questioned. “If I said it was us or Katie?”

“I’d ask you not to make me chose,” Brax said. “If you love me, you’d find a way to forgive me and let me be a father to Katie while still having you in my life.”

Charlie took a deep breath. “I see. And I’m supposed to just accept her, right? It’s not her fault you got drunk and slept with someone else?”

“Not really no,” Brax shook his head. “Punish me all you want, you have been already, but not Katie.”

“Well you can’t really expect things to carry on like normal, can you? Knowing you’d been unfaithful and broken our marriage vows.” Charlie questioned.

“I was drunk.” Brax sighed.

“That’s no excuse,” Charlie answered. “You should still remember you are married and not to cheat on your wife.”

Brax sniggered. “I love that you’re lecturing me on being faithful. I seem to remember you had a ring on your finger when you first slept with me.”

“So you’re going to throw that in my face again?” Charlie shook her head. “You were the one who did the chasing, Brax. You knew I was engaged but you didn’t stop till you got what you wanted. And you know what, the twins, the 5 years we’ve spent together, none of that would have happened if I didn’t give in to my feelings for you. Yeah I hurt Angelo and I’m sorry for doing that to him, but if you want me to be sorry for finding the love of my life and having two beautiful little children then....” Charlie trailed off as she shook her head. “I’m not sorry for that.”

“Just like I won’t be sorry for Katie,” Brax exhaled and Charlie pursed her lips together as she felt her heart hurting even more. “For hurting you and cheating then yeah of course I’m going to wish that didn’t happen, but for Katie...” Brax shook his head. “I’m not going to be sorry for my daughter.”

“Maybe you should remember that you already have a daughter,” Charlie sniffed back. “Ella’s really hurt that you’re spending all your time with Katie.”

“I tried to make it up to Ella today,” Brax sighed. “It’s not my fault she has your stubborn streak. She needs to learn that I can’t spend all my time with her. You know, say everything goes okay and we move passed this and have a third child, we’d need to spend time with that baby and not Ella all the time.”

“It would be different,” Charlie exhaled. “It would be our child and Ella’s little brother or sister. She’d be more involved.”

“Yeah well like you maybe Ella needs to learn that Katie will be a part of my life,” Brax said as he stood up from the couch. “I’m going back to bed.” Brax said before storming out of the room. Charlie remained sitting on the couch, pushing back a tear that wanted to fall out of her eye. Every time she and Brax talked, they made things worse between themselves. She rolled her wedding band and engagement ring around her finger before sighing as she stood up and walked back through to bed.

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 23

“And then the dolphin went splash into the water,” Charlie heard the little voice of Ella, talking to Ruby. “Then leap through a hoop.”

“Then they play with a ball,” Noah’s voice took over. “Then theys -”

“I know,” Charlie heard Ruby sighing as they appeared in the kitchen, the twins climbing up onto their seats as Ruby took a banana from the fruit bowl before sitting down. “You’ve told me this a hundred times already.” Ruby rolled her eyes as Charlie placed the kids cereal bowls down in front of them, both of them picking up the spoon and digging in.

“You two bothering your sister?” Charlie questioned as she handed Ruby a bowl of cereal before picking up her own and joining them at the table.

“No mummy,” Ella shook her head as she let some milk drop off her spoon and onto her nightdress.

“We tell her bout the dolphins.”

“And then the whales and then the dolphins again and then about the whales and the dolphins and the sharks and the Nemo fish and the Dory fish and oh yeah, the whale show and the dolphin show....” Ruby trailed off as she rolled her eyes. “I get it, you had a great time.” Ruby cut the banana into slices and put some over her cereal, before picking up her spoon to take a bite.

“We kissed the dolphin at the end.” Noah smiled as he reached forward to pick up his cup of orange juice.

“It was funny.” Ella giggled.

“Oh and we see’d ehm...” Noah scratched the side of his head. “Flat circley fisheses with a tail thingy.”

“Stinkerlay fisheses,” Ella said. “Them called that ay?”

Charlie laughed lightly at the twins. “Stingrays.”

“Anyways,” Ruby exhaled. “Where are Brax and April? They’re not still in bed, are they?”

“Brax has gone for a surf and Katie was being grumpy so April took her out for some fresh air.” Charlie answered before taking a drink of her juice.

“Ahh okay,” Ruby gave a light smile. “So what’s on for you today?”

“Probably arguing with Brax.” Charlie muttered.

“Mum.” Ruby exhaled.

“Well it’s true,” Charlie sighed. “It’s all we’ve done since Katie has been here. We can’t say one word to each other without it turning into an argument.”

“Well you seemed to have a good day together yesterday?” Ruby questioned.

“Well yeah but,” Charlie gestured her head to the twins. “If they’re not in the room it’s awful.” Charlie mumbled.

“I’m sure every marriage goes through a difficult patch,” Ruby said. “I’m sure you two will be fine in the end. It’s you two....you’re you know, like....yeah,” Ruby screwed her face up, not sure on the words to use. “You be all cool.”

“That’s for that pep talk. It was great.” Charlie curled her nose up. “So moving on to brighter subjects, how are things with you?”

“Brighter?” Ruby questioned. “Why would talking about me be brighter? I’m stressing out over my exams, I just broke up with Romeo, I -”

“I just thought something may have happened yesterday to make things a little brighter for you.” Charlie gave a little smile as she raised her eyebrows.

“April?” Ruby questioned. “How did you...did she...”

“I sorta kinda maybe walked in on you two having a little pash,” Charlie said. “So things progressed quickly then?”

“Well you told me to go for it if I wanted too,” Ruby felt slightly embarrassed that her mother had seen her pashing April, before she had the chance to tell her herself. “And April is gorgeous and we get on so well. We’ve been best mates for like 15 years.”

“I know,” Charlie gave a little smile. “And if you want to experiment then you should.”

Ruby gave a little smile. “So you really don’t mind that I might be gay? Or at least bi?”

“As long as you make yourself happy, then, I’ll be happy for you,” Charlie smiled at her eldest daughter. “And if that means being with April or any other woman, then, it’s fine. You’re happiness is the most important thing to me, alright?”

Ruby gave a little nod. “We’ll just see what happens. I’m not about to come out of any closet or confess my love for her but....well like I said, we’ll see how things pan out. I feel like I should give this a go.”

“Give what a go?” Brax questioned as he walked back into the house.

“Eh,” Ruby turned to face him. “I’m going to be dating April.”

“April?” Brax gave a laugh of disbelief. “But you’re both....I mean you guys aren’t...” Brax trailed off as he rubbed his forehead. “But you’re with Romeo, aren’t you?”

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “I broke up with him on Friday. April’s known for a while she’s gay and she confessed to being in love with me and I couldn’t get her out of my mind so....” Ruby exhaled as she stopped talking. “Yeah, that’s about it, but I would like it if you kept this to yourselves for a while.”

“Sure yeah,” Brax nodded. “This have anything to do with why Bianca and April fell out?”

“Yeah,” Ruby answered. “But I don’t know, maybe now she’s back with Heath she’ll relax a little and mellow out again and they’ll sort things.”

“Wouldn’t count on it,” Charlie shook her head. “He said some pretty nasty things to me when he found out about me and Joey.”

“He just likes winding you up eh,” Brax laughed. “Although I don’t think he thinks highly of gays eh but each to their own.” Brax walked over to the fridge and pulled out a bottle of water.

“Daddy we play trains?” Noah questioned.

“I’d love to buddy,” Brax smiled down at his son as he jumped down from the table and ran excitedly out of the room. “You coming Petal?” Brax questioned as he looked down to his daughter.

Ella looked to Brax before looking to her mother before looking back to Brax. “No Katie?”

“Nah, April has her out,” Brax replied. “I’d love for you to come play too.”

“Hmmm,” Ella scratched the side of her head. “No, I help mummy with the dishes.”

Brax exhaled, saddened. “Well if you change your mind you just come through okay?” Ella gave a little nod as she watched Brax leave the room with Noah.

“Mmm, I going to do some revision,” Ruby stood up from the table, taking her drink with her. “First exam tomorrow.”

“Don’t stress too much,” Charlie said. “You’ll do fine,” Ruby gave her mother a weak smile before walking out of the kitchen to her bedroom. Charlie looked down to Ella who’d jumped down from the table and was very carefully carrying her bowl over to the sink, careful not to spill the little bit milk she’d left in the bottom. Charlie exhaled lightly. She did feel a little bad for Brax that Ella no longer seemed to want to be with him, but Ella was normally such a daddy’s girl, she was enjoying the extra time with her daughter. “Right Petal, let’s get these dishes done so we can go do something fun yeah?”

“Yeah.” Ella answered with excitement in her tone as Charlie brought the rest of the dishes over to the sink to wash.

Charlie closed the fridge door to see Brax walking into the kitchen, looking all dressed up in a pair of dark jeans and one of his smarter checked shirts. “Where are you going?” Charlie questioned.

“Heath called and asked me if I wanted to go out for a few drinks eh,” Brax said. “So, just off out to meet him,” Brax’s voice got quieter as he saw the look on Charlie’s face. “Unless that’s a problem for you? I’ve spent all day with the twins – well mostly Noah, Petal is still being stubborn – so, you know, it’s not like I’ve been ignoring them, but if it’s a problem I’ll-”

“You don’t need my permission to go out,” Charlie sighed. “Do what you want, you’re a big boy.”

“Yeah,” Brax nodded his head. “It’s only a couple of drinks eh, so I won’t be late or anything.”

“Not like you have a curfew.” Charlie replied.

“Nah,” Brax scratched the back of his head. “Is eh....have Ruby and April came home yet?”

“No they are still at the surf club, why?” Charlie questioned.

“Just eh, we’ll you’ll be alone with the twins and Katie and I eh -”

Charlie sniggered. “Don’t be worried. I’m not going to ignore her. I’ll feed her when she needs fed and see to her if she’s crying.”

Brax gave a little smile. “And the twins are sleeping anyways so -”

“Don’t pretend you’re concerned about the twins,” Charlie spoke over Brax. “I know you’re just worried to leave Katie with me but like I say, I’ll do what needs to be done with her.”

“Right well I’ll see you later then.” Brax stared silently at his wife for a few moments before he walked out of the house. Charlie picked up the glass of juice she’d poured herself and walked through to the living room and took a seat on the couch, picking up the TV remote to see if she could find anything worth watching.

“Hello, Charlie?” The voice slightly startled Charlie and she turned around to see Bianca walking into the living room.

“Hey.” Charlie gave her a smile as she joined her on the couch.

“Thought since the boys were going out that we should have a little get together too,” Bianca smiled.

“Why should they get to have all the fun, right?”

“Sure,” Charlie exhaled lightly. “How’s it going with you and Heath then?”

“Well it’s only been a few days, but, yeah,” Bianca smiled. “It’s nice to be with him again.”

“Good,” Charlie smiled. “You deserve to be happy.”

“Yeah, so people keep telling me,” Bianca exhaled as she looked over to the moses basket. “Katie still here then?”

“Ahh,” Charlie sighed. “I don’t know how much longer we can go on like this,” Charlie shook her head. “We argue all the time and.....” Charlie pursed her lips together as she trailed off. “I wish the results were back already.”

“How much longer now?” Bianca questioned.

“A couple of days,” Charlie sighed. “I want them to be back then at the same time I don’t want them. I’m so scared of what they are going to say.”

“I would be too,” Bianca replied as she leaned forward and put her hand onto Charlie arm and gave it a comforting rub. “But it’s you two. I honestly think he loves you too much to cheat. He’s not going to be the father, Charlie.”

“We don’t know that for sure,” Charlie shook her head. “There’s doubt in his mind that he’s stayed faithful so if even Brax doubts himself then.....what am I supposed to think? I’m supposed to be able to trust him. If I trusted him I would believe he wasn’t the father, that we’d have nothing to worry about, but.....I can’t. I can’t say that I don’t have doubts.”

“It’s probably just because Brax is having doubts that you’re letting yourself think the same way,” Bianca said. “But, you two will be fine, I know it,” Bianca smiled lightly as she continued to rub her friends arm. “You’re obviously going to have to sit down and have a good chat when the results come back, but, you’ll manage to get through this because you both love each other so much.”

“I hope we can,” Charlie sniffed back. “I don’t want to lose him.”

“And I’m sure he doesn’t want to lose you either,” Bianca gave her friend a light smile. “It’s just a rough patch. Most marriages will have them, right?”

“This is just the toughest thing we’ve had to face.”

“And once you’ve got through it your marriage will be stronger and you’ll be able to get through anything,” Bianca said. “Now, how about we swap this orange juice for a nice glass of red hmm?”

“Sounds good to me.” Charlie smiled lightly as she stood up from the couch and walked through to the kitchen to get a bottle of wine out to share with her friend.

Thanks for the comments. beebee I am sorry if you think I am dragging it out :( I promise it won’t be much longer till you find out.

Chapter 24

Charlie put Katie back down in the moses basket before looking up to see Noah walking down the hallway towards her. “Hey mister, what you doing out of bed?” Charlie questioned as she and Noah both took a seat on the couch, Noah cuddling into his mother.

“My eyes opened.” Noah answered.

“And you can’t shut them again?” Charlie questioned as she ran her hand over his head.

“Uh-uh,” Noah shook his head. “Monsters might get me.”

“Monsters won’t get you,” Charlie shook her head. “There’s no such thing as monsters.”

“Yes,” Noah nodded his head. “I see one. It red and hairy and very scary.”

Charlie gave a little laugh at the seriousness of her sons tone. “It would just be a bad dream sweetie. I promise there are no monsters in this house.” Charlie yawned as she looked down to her watch. It was almost 3am. Brax was yet to return home and it was about the 3rd time she’d been up with Katie in the last hour alone. Katie was fine through the day but for some reason at night she didn’t want to settle, especially over the last 2 nights.

“Really?” Noah looked to his mother unsure.

“Yup,” Charlie nodded her head as she saw Ella walking down the hall from her corner of her eye. “Hey trouble, you can’t sleep either?”

Ella shook her head as she climbed up onto her mother’s knee. “I’s too hot mummy.” Ella pulled at her nightdress, trying to get some air into her body.

“Take your nightdress off petal.” Charlie said as she moved her daughter’s hair from in front of her face.

“Then what I wear to bed?” Ella put her hands out to the side as she looked puzzled.

“You’ll have your panties on.” Charlie answered.

“No,” Ella gasped. “I can’t be just my panties.” Ella said looking most shocked.

“Sure you can,” Charlie laughed at her daughter’s facial expression. “It’s summer time, it’s hot and it’s okay to wear just panties in your bed.”

“No mummy,” Ella shook her head. “I maybe get too cold.”

“Well then you could put your nightdress back on.” Charlie replied.

“It a kitty dress,” Noah said as he pointed to the Hello Kitty on Ella’s nighty. “I no like kitty’s.”

“Hello Kitty is the best Noah.” Ella gave her brother a scowl.

“No for boys,” Noah answered. “It’s Thomas train.” Noah pointed to the picture of Thomas the Tank Engine on his pyjama top.

“No it’s kitty.” Ella raised her voice.

“Thomas train.” Noah shouted.

“Kitty.” Ella clenched her little fists together as she looked angry at her brother’s insistence that Thomas train was better than Hello Kitty.

“Thomas.” Noah squealed.

“Kitty, Kitty, Kitty.” Ella flung her hands out and tried to claw at her brother.

“Hey hey,” Charlie pulled the twins apart. “They are both equally as good,” Charlie said, making peace between the twins. “Now it’s past everyone’s bedtime so let’s go back to bed, yes?”

“No, I’s too hot.” Ella sighed as she hit her hand against her chest in frustration.

“Well take your nightdress off,” Charlie replied. “You won’t be too hot then.”

“No, I can’t,” Ella shook her head. “I want some cold juice.”

“Right, I’ll get you a little water.” Charlie said as she stood up from the couch, the twins jumping to the floor.

“Me too mummy.” Noah held his hands up in the air.

“Yes, but you’re both only getting a little bit. We don’t want any little accidents.” Charlie exhaled.

“No me.” Ella shook her head.

“No, probably won’t be you,” Charlie looked to Noah as she spoke. “Right, in your beds and mummy will bring you your waters okay?”

“Member my cup.” Noah said as he pointed to himself.

“And mines.” Ella pointed to herself too. “Member mines. It’s yellow.”

“Yes, I won’t forget your special cups,” Charlie rolled her eyes. The twins were going through a faze where they would only drink if they got their special cups when they were at home. Ella’s being yellow and Noah’s green. “Along to bed and I’ll be through soon.” Charlie said. The twins sighed as they ran off down the hallway. Charlie turned and walked into the kitchen, taking their cups out of the cupboard. She took the bottle of water from the fridge and poured them both a small glass before returning the bottle to the fridge. She turned around as she heard a crashing sound and saw the door open and a very drunk looking Brax walking into the house.

“Stupid plant,” Brax slurred. “Walked right into me.” Brax wiped the compost from his shirt.

“The plant walked into you?” Charlie questioned with a raised eyebrow.

“Yup.” Brax gave a nod before putting his hand onto his chest and swallowing. “I feel a bit sick.”

“Not surprised,” Charlie sighed as Brax walked further into the kitchen and leaned against one of the chairs at the table for support. “I see you’ve had more than a couple of drinks.”

“Oh so what,” Brax sighed. “I can do what I want and anyways seems you’ve been drinking too.” Brax made to point to the bottle of red wine that was on the worktop but stopped and put his hand back on the chair supporting him.

“I had one glass when Bianca came around.” Charlie sighed.

“And I had lots more on my night with Heath,” Brax replied. “It was great. No nagging wife at my side,” Charlie pursed her lips together as she looked to her husband, disgusted at the state he’d gotten himself in. “You know I got a little drunk, does it really matter?” Brax questioned before he gagged, bringing his left hand up and covering his mouth.

“That’s what got you into this mess in the first place so I thought right now the last thing you’d do would be to go out and get drunk.” Charlie spoke quietly as she watched Brax gently swaying on the spot.

“Well if you knew how much my wife had been annoying me lately with her constant nagging and argument causing then you‘d understand.” Brax said before once again placing his hand on his chest and swallowing.

“You do realise you are talking to your wife right now, right?” Charlie questioned, trying her best to keep calm.

“Oh.” Brax rubbed his forehead with his left hand and it was then Charlie noticed the absence of his wedding band.

“Where’s your wedding band?” Charlie questioned all sorts of idea’s running through her mind as to why Brax would take his ring off, and none of them good.

“Ehm,” Brax looked down to his bare ring finger. “Oh that’s a really funny story,” Brax once again put his hand on his chest as he swallowed. “Well no it’s not funny at all actually you see I was rolling it around my finger, like we sometimes do, you know and.....you know I...” Brax paused as he burped. “Ahh,” Brax hit his chest a few times. “I took it off and started spinning it around on the table, you know, like....like one of the kids’ spinning top birly thingy’s...it looked pretty cool,” Brax said as he made a spinning gesture with his hand. “Anyways, Heath said I’d lose it so I should put it back on....but I eh....” Brax paused as he reached into his pocket. “It’s in one of them,” Brax laughed as he checked his other pocket before checking the pocket in his shirt. “Damn,” Brax muttered before checking the back pocket on his jeans. “Ahh, see, there it is.” Brax held the ring out for Charlie to see before putting it back on his finger. “Like it’s never been off.”

“Mmm,” Charlie pursed her lips together as she decided to walk away from this now, before things got into even more of a mess with them. “Well I’m going give the twins their drinks then go to bed so...” Charlie trailed off as she picked up the cups and walked out of the room, but not before hearing Brax throwing up.

“Char -”

“Don’t even think about,” Charlie shouted through to him. “Clean it up yourself.” Charlie exhaled before she walked into the twins’ room to give them their water.

Ruby and April walked along the sidewalk, making their way to school for the first of their exams. “I’m so glad biology is the first exam.” Ruby sighed.

“You’re going to do fine anyways, I really wish you wouldn’t stress out as much.” April exhaled as she looked to Ruby.

“Well, I have had a pretty good biology tutor,” Ruby gave April a smile. “So she can get the blame if I do badly.”

“Hey,” April nudged Ruby, mocking offence. “Don’t make me feel bad.”

“Sorry,” Ruby said. “And you’re right I do just need to think positive, right?” Ruby questioned.

“Mmm hmm,” April agreed. “And it’s not like you need biology to be a music teacher so I’m sure you’ll still get into uni with your marks anyways.”

“Ahh uni. I am so excited to get away for that.” Ruby smiled.

“Well remember we still have Year 12 and the lovely HSC to do first.” April exhaled.

“Don’t remind me,” Ruby sighed. “And if I am getting this stressed out over my Year 11 exams I don’t want to think about what I’ll be like with the HSC or ever uni.”

“I’ll have to mellow you out.” April gave a little laugh.

“Well you can try,” Ruby said as she saw Romeo in the distance. She smiled over to him but he just kept walking and walked into the school grounds, not even bothering to acknowledge her. “I guess I deserve that, right?”

“For ending a relationship you weren’t happy in?” April questioned. “No, I don’t think you do.”

“It was kind of out of the blue though,” Ruby sighed. “I mean one day we’re fine then you tell me not only are you gay but you’re in love with me then I can’t stop thinking about you then....bam before I know it I’ve broken up with him and we are...” Ruby exhaled. “Why are things so complicated?”

“It’s the way life is,” April answered. “You don’t regret us already, do you?”

“No, I want to try things with you. You’re my petit dejeuner but -”

“I’m your breakfast?” April laughed.

Ruby felt herself going red. “Okay so I haven’t taken French in years, my bad.” Ruby laughed.

“Aww that was sweet you trying to speak in French though,” April said as they walked into the school gates. “What word were you looking for?”

“Eh, never mind,” Ruby shook her head as she saw Bianca walking over to them. “Do you want me to leave you...” Ruby stopped taking as she felt April’s hand going onto her arm. She wanted her to stay. Ruby exhaled as she moved her arm away, letting April’s hand fall from its place.

“April,” Bianca spoke quietly. “I just wanted to wish you luck for your first exam.”

April gave her sister a weak smile. “I heard you were back with Heath,” April said. “Eh, I’m glad you can find a way to be happy with him again.”

Bianca smiled softly. “Thanks,” Bianca looked down to Ruby, noticing she was biting her lip at the awkwardness between the two sisters. “Eh -”

“Well we need to go inside,” April said. “See you.” April pulled on Ruby’s arm, the pair of them walking away and into the school, ready to sit their first exam.

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 25

Brax put the tablet into the glass of water and watched as it fizzed. He took a big drink before putting it down on the table and holding his head up with his hands. He groaned as he heard the kids playing with each other, maybe a little too loudly for him to handle. “Katie needs fed.” Charlie said as she walked into the kitchen and went to pass her down to him.

“Please Charlie, I....” Brax shook his head. “I have a splitting headache.”

“That’s no fault of mines,” Charlie answered. “I need to get things from the store so you’re going to need to take her and look after the twins.”

Brax winced. “Can’t you take them with you?”

“No it’ll take me twice as long and they’ll want everything,” Charlie sighed. “I won’t be long if I go myself.”

Brax once again groaned. “Where are Ruby and April, can’t they help out?”

“They’re at school. They’ve got an exam,” Charlie replied. “C’mon take her.” Charlie put Katie into his arms. Brax took another drink of the water before looking down to Katie, who had immediately grabbed onto his thumb.

“Did I talk to you when I got home last night?” Brax questioned. He thought he could vaguely remember some sort of conversation with her, but he couldn’t be sure.

“Yeah we spoke,” Charlie answered. “And I would just leave that there,” Charlie exhaled. “Maybe it’s best you don’t remember.” Charlie exhaled. Brax screwed his face up kind of confused as the twins screams got louder as the pair of them came running into the kitchen, Ella chasing Noah around, the both of them with pirate swords in their hands.

“Kiddies....kiddies....” Brax screwed his face up, their piercing screams going right through him. “Quiet voices eh.”

“No,” Ella scowled up at him. “We playing we can be loud.”

“Yeah daddy it’s pirates,” Noah said as he looked up at him. “They go aaarrrggghhh.” Noah screamed at the top of his lungs as Brax winced.

Charlie laughed lightly, almost enjoying Brax’s pain. “Right kiddies mummy is going out for a while, you be good for daddy okay.”

“I’ll come.” Ella threw her pirate sword down and ran over to Charlie. Charlie still not used to Ella wanting to be with her. Normally Noah would be the first one to say he wanted to go with her.

“Me too mummy.” Noah said as he ran over to her and his sister, Noah keeping a hold of his sword.

“Nah you’re both staying with daddy,” Charlie said. “I’ll be back soon then we can go to the beach and get ice-cream, how does that sound?”

“Yeah ice-cream,” Ella cheered as she started running around the table, Brax feeling dizzy just watching her. “Ice-cream ice-cream ice-cream.” Ella continued to cheer and she showed no signs of stopping anytime soon.

“Right, see you soon bud.” Charlie smiled at her son before going to walk out of the house.

“No, mummy,” Noah squealed as the door closed. “Mummy....mummy....” Noah banged on the door as he tried to get it open. “Mummy please mummy.” Noah cried as he sat himself down on the floor, the tears rolling down his cheeks.

Brax sighed as he looked to his son before looking to his daughter, both of them being very loud indeed, or at least feeling loud to him. He didn’t need this today. He was majorly hung-over and screaming kids were the last thing he needed to deal with. “Kids, shush, both of you.”

“No,” Ella shook her head. “You be quiet stupid.” Ella stuck her tongue out to her father before she started running round the table again, still singing her ice-cream song.

“Ella don’t be cheeky,” Brax raised his voice, but that was a mistake on his part, as it caused his head to hurt even more. “Ahh,” Brax put one hand onto his head and rubbed it gently as he kept hold of Katie in the other. “Ella please stop.”

“No, we get ice-cream.” Ella continued to sing and dance around the table. Brax sighed as he looked to his son who was laying on the floor screaming out for Charlie and to top it all off Katie started to cry for her milk.

“Please quiet now,” Brax shouted as loud as he could but it only seemed to make the kids worse and it seemed to give Katie a fright as her screams got louder. “Ahh jeeze,” Brax sighed as the doorbell rang. He walked over to the door and opened it to see the postman at the other side.

“Someone having a rough morning?” The man looked into the house to see Noah’s tantrum, Ella running around the table screaming about her ice-cream and Katie crying hard in his arms.

“Don’t even...” Brax exhaled as he shook his head.

“I just need you to sign for this.” The postman said.

“Oh,” Brax looked down to the envelope and was pretty sure he knew what it was, but was surprised it had arrived today. “I didn’t expect this today.” Brax said as he moved a still screaming Katie in his arms and signed for the results.

“Well it’s here,” The postman said as he handed it to him. “Hope your day gets better.” The postman said before walking away. Brax closed the door as he stared down at the results, knowing he should wait for Charlie to come home before he opened them, but not sure if he could wait to find out if he was indeed Katie’s father.

April and Ruby were walking home after their exam. “So it was nice of Bianca to wish you luck.” Ruby gave April a little smile.

“Sure it was,” April rolled her eyes. “It’s not her wishing me luck that I want from her. Well I suppose unless it was to wish me luck in my new relationship,” April lightly brushed her hand against Ruby’s, making Ruby clear on what she was on about but neither of them yet ready for full PDAs. “Maybe she’ll be different if she knows it’s you I’m with. She’s known you for like ever and she likes you. I mean, she cares about you. You know, we’re all close really, Bianca, me, you and your mum.”

“Maybe,” Ruby gave a little shrug. “Might make it worse though,” Ruby said. “Might accuse me or even my mum of influencing you and turning you.”

“Wouldn’t put it passed her right now, actually,” April sighed. “But you’ve been boy crazy the last few years. Surely if anything I was the one who’s turned you.”

“I wouldn’t really say I’ve turned to be honest,” Ruby exhaled. “I mean I enjoy kissing you and want to see what comes of us but I’m not about to put a label on myself.”

“Right,” April screwed her face up, kind of confused. Was Ruby trying to tell her she still saw herself as straight?

“Hey Rubes.” Ruby turned around to see Casey running towards them, a decent sized sports bag around his shoulder.

“What do you want?” Ruby questioned.

“How tough was that exam huh?” Casey questioned. “Why did we ever decide to take biology?”

“It wasn’t as bad as I thought it’d be actually,” Ruby answered. “So, you’re walking this way with us because?” Ruby questioned. “Isn’t the bus to Mangrove River the other way?”

“Yeah,” Casey answered. “I’m coming to stay with Brax for a while, hopefully.”

“Why?” Ruby screwed her face up.

“Mum threw me out,” Casey sighed. “She wants me to get a job to give her money for booze and pokey’s but I want to go into Year 12 and do my HSC.”

“Yeah well there’s no room at our house so go cry to someone else.” Ruby said, not liking the idea that her ex-boyfriend could be living with her while she was trying to make something of it with April.

“Yeah there is,” Casey gave a little laugh of confusion. “You have a spare bedroom.”

“I’m staying in it right now,” April answered. “Bianca threw me out too.”

“And anyways mum and Brax are having some trouble so he doesn’t need his stupid little brother hanging around either.”

“But it’s alright for April to stay?” Casey sighed. “Brax is my bro and I know he’ll let me stay no matter what,” Casey said. “So get used to it.” Casey smirked.

Ruby sighed lightly. “He’s also my stepdad and he wasn’t very impressed with you when you cheated on me, was he?” Ruby questioned. “And besides, it’ll be awkward.”

“Only awkward if you still have feelings for me,” Casey grinned. “I guess you have just broken up with Romeo. You’ll probably want to be with a real man again, right?” Casey smirked as he touched Ruby’s arm.

Ruby pulled her arm away. “Romeo was more of a real man than you’ll ever be,” Ruby laughed. “I hate you Casey. If you ever think I’d get back with you then you’re seriously crazy up here.” Ruby said as she hit the side of her head.

“Now now that’s no way to talk to your uncle, is it?” Casey laughed. “I think you’re still hot for me and don’t worry, I’d totally get with you again any day.”

“Cos Laura’s had enough and dumped you?” April questioned.

“Her loss eh,” Casey said. “But she was always second best to Ruby anyways.”

“Yet you cheated on me with her?” Ruby screwed her face up. “You ruined things with me to sleep with her but she was second best?” Ruby questioned.

“What can I say?” Casey exhaled. “She offered me sex and I’m a Braxton. Too weak to resist.”

“So it may seem,” Ruby mumbled as they walked up the path to the house. “Just stay away from me.” Ruby said as she walked through to her bedroom, with April following her as Casey walked to the living room to talk to Brax and hopefully find a place to stay.

Thanks for the comments. Sarah, just wait and see...

Chapter 26

Ella ran back over to where they were sitting with her bucket of water she’d collected from the sea. She poured it into the hole that Noah was working on and looked disappointed as the water soaked into the sand. “It gone Apil.”

“Yeah it will petal,” April answered. “You’ll need an awful lot of water before it stays.”

Ella sighed as she ran the short distance back to the sea’s edge, putting her bucket in to collect more water. “I’m scared April,” Ruby admitted as she stopped helping Noah move sand away to make their hole bigger. “It’s been a long time and they’re still not here.”

“They’ll have a lot to talk about.” April answered.

“What so you think he is the father?” Ruby questioned as Noah pulled on her hand for her to continue digging.

“I mean that either way,” April said. “They need space right now. They probably won’t feel like putting on a show and coming down here, like everything is okay until they’ve at least talked things over. I honestly don’t see Brax being the father but that doesn’t mean he and your mum will have nothing to sort out.”

Ruby gave her a weak smile as she threw more sand to the side. “I guess, but we have exams to study for too. I don’t mind watching the twins but not all day.”

“You don’t have an exam tomorrow so you have all day then.” April answered.

“You have chemistry though,” Ruby exhaled. “I can watch these two myself if you want to go study.”

“I think we should just stay away from the house just now,” April pursed her lips together. “Maybe you could teach me a little something about chemistry though,” April gave a smile as she leaned forward and gently rubbed Ruby’s hand. Ruby pulled away as she looked out to the sea as Casey surfed.

“He’s not going to see,” April sighed. “And there’s no-one else around.” April looked around and couldn’t see signs of anyone close by.

“I know but....I thought you said you weren’t ready for PDA’s either?”

“Well, maybe I’ve changed my mind,” April answered. “If we’ve decided to be together we may as well....well, be together.”

“Just because you’ve changed your mind it doesn’t mean I have,” Ruby said. “You’ve have time to get used to the fact your gay. I’ve had feelings for you for like a few days. It’s all gone so fast and I just....I need you to take things at my pace, okay?”

April sighed lightly knowing Ruby had already faced a massive decision, and it was a lot quicker than April was able to face it. She just hoped that Ruby wasn’t already regretting it and new pushing her into being affectionate would only push her away. “Sure, sorry, I just....it’s hard when you are so damn gorgeous.”

Ruby felt herself getting hotter in the face, like she was embarrassed. “I promise you tonight at home we can....you know be a bit more....affectionate.”

April gave a smile as she looked out to the sea. “Even though Casey is around?”

“Eh,” Ruby bit her lip. “We can hang out in my room.”

“Cool.” April gave her a smile.

“Ruby where’s mummy?” Noah sighed as he put his spade down and rubbed his hands against his chest, letting some sand fall from them.

“She’s still with daddy,” Ruby answered. “She’ll get here as quickly as she can, okay.”

“I want her now.” Noah sighed.

“Mummy shopping,” Ella told her brother as she put water into the hole, the same look of disappointment on her face as it got sucked away. “Then she come and we gets ice-cream.”

“Ohh,” April smiled. “What flavour you going to get?”

“Me likes chocolate.” Ella gave a little dance as she dropped the bucket to the sand and sat down next to April.

“Vanilla.” Noah smiled as he laid his head against Ruby’s leg so his body was lying across the sand.

“Uncle Eath.” Ella jumped up from the sand and ran across to him as he walked over to them.

“Hey trouble,” Heath lifted Ella up into his arms and she began to trace one of his tattoos with her finger. “You having fun at the beach?”

“Uh-huh,” Ella nodded. “This new Eath.” Ella pointed to her swimming costume. “My new swimmers.”

“Aww it’s awfully pretty,” Heath smiled as he looked to the pink swimsuit with a picture of Hello Kitty on the front. “You got a new one to bud?” Heath said as he looked down to Noah.

“Yeah it’s red see,” Noah pulled at his red and white board shorts as he stay laying against Ruby, but looked up to his uncle. “Uncle Case here too.” Noah pointed to the sea where Casey was still out surfing.

“Ah so he is,” Heath said. “He asked to stay at yours?” Heath said as he looked down to Ruby.

“Unfortunately,” Ruby exhaled. “Hopefully it’s not for too long though.”

“Dunno eh, mum was pretty determined he got a job or he was out for good.” Heath sighed as he sat down next to April, Ella sitting on his knee as she continued to be amazed by his tattoos.

“You’re mum is pretty messed up, no offence,” Ruby said. “Wouldn’t she rather he got his HSC and went to uni to get a decent job?”

“Not really how she was brought up eh,” Heath answered. “You’d think since Brax and I didn’t really do school she’d want one of her kids to get a proper education, but nah, she just needs all the money she can get hey, so she’d rather we were working and helped her,” Heath said. “Although Brax gets a nice wage from the restaurant but doesn’t help her and he keeps her grandkids from her.”

“Might have something to do with the fact she passed out drunk when she was babysitting them and a fire started in her house,” Ruby replied. “Any parent isn’t going to be please with you after that.”

“That was like 2 years ago.” Heath sighed.

“Yeah, so it’s makes it worse, sort of. Who gets drunk when looking after two 6 month old babies?” Ruby questioned. “No wonder mum doesn’t want her around the twins.”

“I just think she’s missing out, is all. People can change and it’s not like mum can have a relationship with Rocco anymore,” Heath sighed. “They’re her grandkids. Maybe your mum should realise that.”

“It’s not just mum, you know,” Ruby said. “Brax doesn’t want her around them either. He wants better for them than the upbringing he had and they’ve told Cheryl if she gets sober she’ll can see the twins. It’s not their fault Cheryl can’t stay off the cans long enough.”

“Fair enough.” Heath sighed.

“Eath will you take me to mummy?” Noah questioned as he crawled over to him.

“Sure, if you want to go home buddy.” Heath said as he looked to him.

“They’re talking,” April told him. “The results are here today.”

“Oh,” Heath widened his eyes. “Well still maybe it’s best we go back. Charlie and Brax always were ones for the fiery arguments,” Heath gave a little laugh as he stood up and Ella picked her sundress up and put it back on as Ruby passed Noah his t-shirt. April gathered the rest of their things into the bag before they walked off the beach together heading back to the house.

Charlie walked back into the house, placing the bag up onto the kitchen worktop. “Way-hey, you’re finally home,” Charlie looked around to Brax and exhaled lightly. “Thought you weren’t going to be long? You’ve been nearly 3 hours. Surely it didn’t take you that long to get one bag of stuff.”

“No,” Charlie answered bluntly. “This took me all of 20 minutes.”

“So where have you been?” Brax questioned. “You know I’m hung-over and could have done without looking after 3 kids. Especially since you got Ella all wound up for ice-cream, Noah wouldn’t stop crying for you and Katie was grumpy and wouldn’t take her milk for ages.”

“Like I said before it’s not my problem you are hung-over,” Charlie replied. “You still need to be a father.”

“Well I could have done with you being truthful then. If you’re going to be away for 3 hours tell me that.” Brax sounded almost angry at his wife.

Charlie sniggered. “I didn’t plan on it. I did the shopping and was almost home but then....I just needed time alone to think, okay?”

“Think about what?” Brax questioned.

“The state of current affairs in India,” Charlie spat. “What the hell do you think, Brax?”

Brax sighed as he rubbed his forehead. “Well the results are here so let’s not make any premature decisions until you know what they say.”

“They’re here?” Charlie looked surprised. “I didn’t think they were coming until tomorrow,” Charlie screwed her face up. “Have you opened them?”

“I thought about it but then thought I’d get earache from you so thought it was best to wait.” Brax retorted.

“You know the way you’ve spoken to me the last few days really isn’t doing yourself any favours.” Charlie sighed.

“What and you’ve been miss sunshine and lollypops while talking to me, right?” Brax gave a little laugh.

Charlie sighed as she rubbed her forehead. “I suppose not, no,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “Let’s just go open the results, yeah?” Charlie walked through to the living room with Brax following behind her.

“April and Ruby took the twins to the beach by the way,” Brax said as he picked the envelope up from the coffee table. “I said we’d join them once we eh....well,” Brax cleared his throat. “Oh and Casey is going to be staying with us for a while too.”

“Why?” Charlie screwed her face up. “And where exactly is he going to sleep? There’s no room left.”

“He can have the guest room,” Brax answered. “Ruby and April are....you know....anyways, so April can share her room.”

“No she can’t,” Charlie widened her eyes. “They’ve been together a few days. There’s no way -”

“It’s not like she can get Ruby pregnant, is it?” Brax gave a little laugh.

“I don’t care,” Charlie raised her voice. “They’re not going to be sharing a room right now. Casey can have the couch or he can go elsewhere.”

“He’s my brother, Charlie. He has more right to stay here than April does.” Brax spat.

“April is our guest and we are not throwing her out of the room we gave her just because you’re brother came along.” Charlie retorted.

“Alright fine, we’ll discuss this later,” Brax sighed. “I think we have something more important to do right now, don’t you?” Brax questioned. Charlie took a deep breath as she nodded her head before Brax tore open the envelope. He read over the document and Charlie tried to read his face, but his expression was pretty blank.

“Well?” Charlie questioned after a while of silence. Brax exhaled as he passed her the results. “DNA matches?” Charlie questioned, feeling her heart beating faster and faster from her chest. “What does....this means that you’re....” Charlie trailed off.

“I’m her father.” Brax said quietly before he took a deep breath, wondering where they were going to go from here.

Thank you Red Ranger 1, beebee, Sarah, Freakie42 and JosieTash for the comments.

Chapter 27

Charlie stood staring at her husband, her eyes stinging with tears that wanted to fall. “Baby, I am so sorry,” Brax looked to the moses basket where Katie was laying sleeping. “I -”

“Please don’t talk,” Charlie shook her head. “I need a minute to eh....” Charlie cleared a lump from her throat as the sounds of the doorbell could be heard in the house. Brax went to answer but Charlie stopped him. “Leave it. They’ll go away.” Charlie’s voice broke as a tear rolled down her cheek as the doorbell could be heard again, before the sounds of a loud knock on the door.

“I don’t think they will.” Brax spoke quietly.

“Well I’ll ask them to leave,” Charlie walked through to the door and opened it, most shocked to see Katie’s mother at the other side. “You.” Charlie raised her voice.

“Hi, it’s Alice, by the way,” Alice said. “I eh....I want my baby back.” Charlie looked to the woman who was standing next to her, most likely brought along for some moral support.

“Come in then.” Charlie gestured for them to walk into the house.

“Who’s this?” Brax questioned as they walked into his view.

“Like you don’t know,” Charlie spat. “This is Katie’s mother.”

“Oh.” Brax felt a strange feeling in his stomach. Even though he knew his marriage was most probably about to be over he didn’t want Katie to leave.

“Is Darryl home?” Alice questioned. “I’d like to thank him for watching her for me this week,” Alice walked over to the moses basket and lifted her daughter into her arms, giving her a hug. “Aww sweetheart mummy has missed you. I’m so sorry for leaving you,” Alice said as she looked back to Charlie. “So, Darryl, is he about?”

“I’m right here,” Brax said putting his hand in the air. “I’m Darryl.”

“No, no,” Alice shook her head. “You’re not Darryl Braxton.”

“The only one in the bay,” Brax pulled his wallet from his back pocket and took out his driver’s license and handed it to Alice to see. “See. Darryl Braxton. The one and only.” Brax said as Ruby, April and the kids walked into the room.

“Mummy.” Noah ran over to her and grabbed onto her leg.

“Eh Rubes, take the kids to your room please,” Charlie said as she pulled Noah from her leg. “Now.”

Ruby walked forward and picked up Noah and walked away down the hall. “But it red on her door.” Ella protested as April led her away.

“We’ll change it.” April said as they disappeared out of sight.

“Oh my.....” Charlie put her hand onto her chest. “Are you telling me when you came here saying Darryl Braxton was the father that you didn’t make sure you had the right one?” Charlie didn’t want to get her hopes up too much just yet; Alice could just have been so drunk that she remembered his face wrong.

“I believe there is only one Darryl Braxton here and in the surrounding areas,” Alice answered as Heath walked into the living room with a bottle of water in his hand. “That’s my Darryl Braxton.” Alice said and Heath’s face immediately recognised Alice, just as Brax took a proper look at the other woman and felt a funny feeling in the pit of his stomach as she looked familiar to him.

Heath looked confused as he looked to Alice then Katie in his arm. He raised his eyes as the penny dropped. “You idiot,” Charlie lunged forward and banged her fists against Heath’s chest. “Have you any idea what you’ve put us through this last week. It was you. She’s your child. How could you watch me and Brax ruin our marriage? He’s you brother. How could you let him go through all this with me knowing that -”

“Hey hey,” Brax pulled Charlie back from his brother. “Let him explain.”

Charlie shrugged herself away from Brax as she looked to Heath. “Well then?” Charlie spat, the anger inside her only growing.

“I had no idea,” Heath shook his head. “She was just a one night thing over a year ago.” Heath looked at the child, shocked at the thought that she was his.

“But why did you use my name?” Brax questioned.

“I....it wasn’t long after....my life was....” Heath took a deep breath. “Tegan took Darcy to live in New Zealand, I lost my job, Rocco died and then Bianca broke up with me,” Heath cleared a lump from his throat as he recalled all that happened to him in such a short space of time. “Then there was you. You had the restaurant, the gorgeous wife, the twins....everything. You had everything and I had nothing. I was jealous and I wanted to be you. I wanted your perfect life and not my life of endless disappointment and when she asked my name, I just....it just came out.”

“You idiot,” Charlie went to lunge at him again. “Do you have any idea what you’ve caused us? I don’t know if we are going to be able to move on from this, so congratulations, Heath, you may have just ruined Brax’s so called perfect life.” Charlie spat as a tear rolled down her cheek. She was angry, confused but also relieved that Brax wasn’t the father. It would make it that little bit easier to start repairing their marriage.

“Charlie.” Brax pulled her back yet again, but she shrugged away from him.

“I’m sorry if I’ve caused anything here,” Alice said. “I just needed a break and I should have made sure I was leaving her with her father.”

“You don’t say.” Charlie spat.

“But the results...” Brax looked a bit confused. “They say...”

“You’re her uncle, Brax. You’re DNA is going to be close,” Charlie sniffed back. “You almost look upset that you’re not her father.” Charlie wiped a tear from her eye.

“I thought I was, but now I’m not and....she’s a sweet little girl and...” Brax stopped talking as he looked to Alice. “Are you just going to take her from our life now? After all I am still family.”

Charlie shook her head as she exhaled. She couldn’t believe Brax still seemed more interested in Katie than in his marriage. “We’ll be going back to Sydney,” Alice nodded. “If he wants to be involved then we can work something out.” Alice said as she looked over to Heath.

Heath looked down to the baby as he shook his head. “I’ve just got Bianca back. If she finds out about this....I....” Heath trailed off. “I need time to think.” Heath said before he turned and walked out of the house, shocked that he had another daughter.

“Well at least it gets you off the hook with your wife, right?” Alice said. “You didn’t cheat.”

“Well I’m not quite sure that’s right,” Alice’s friend spoke for the first time. “Look, I don’t want to cause trouble, or should I say any more trouble, but I also don’t want lie so...I mean, I feel like she has a right to know,” The lady trailed off as she looked at Charlie. “We didn’t have sex but we....we made out a lot and came close. I mean, we got naked,” The lady took a deep breath. “But it stopped there. You mumbled something about a wife then got dressed and left.”

Charlie took a deep breath as she once again wiped a tear from her eye. “Well I think both of you have had a nice hand in ruining my marriage, so, thank you so much for that. I would like you to leave my house now.”

“Sure,” Alice pursed her lips together as she put Katie into the buggy. “I’m sorry for the mistake.” Alice said before she and her friend started to walk out of the house.

“Can’t I say goodbye?” Brax questioned. “I’ve bonded and she’s....let me say goodbye.”

Brax heard Charlie giving a sigh of disbelief as he walked over to the buggy and bent down, lightly rubbing Katie’s cheeks. “Goodbye sweetie. We had a good week huh?” Brax sniffed back. “And I am your uncle so maybe it won’t be the last I see of you hmmm.” Brax took a deep breath as he stared at her for a moment, her big brown eyes staring at him as she gave him a gummy smile.

“Look, here’s my number,” Alice said as she handed Brax a card. “Give it to your brother; let him know that if he wants to see his daughter I won’t stop him.” Brax nodded as he took the card in his hand and watched as Alice and her friend left the house. He put the card into his pocket before looking up to Charlie, who was standing staring at him.

“You still care more about her,” Charlie sniffed back. “Our marriage is at rock bottom and still you care more about some baby.” Charlie pursed her lips together as she shook her head. She knew Brax was getting too attached to soon.

“Charlie I....I got attached okay. I let myself get attached and I’m sorry for that, I really am. I just....I didn’t want to let her down if was her father. But I love you so much. Please tell me that we can fix this, please Charlie. I’m not going to lose you, am I?” Brax questioned. “I know I’ve been an ass lately and I’ve said some things that probably hurt but...” Brax took a deep breath as he tried to see what Charlie’s reaction would be.

“You know when you came home last night you didn’t have your wedding band on,” Charlie spoke quietly. “I want to believe that it didn’t mean anything wrong. That you didn’t cheat but given what that woman just said....maybe you did.” Charlie pursed her lips together as she gave a little shrug. She didn’t want to believe so badly of Brax but her trust in him had completely gone given recent events and findings.

“I don’t remember parts of last night,” Brax answered truthfully. “And I don’t remember kissing that woman either and I’m sorry for that, but I stopped Charlie. She said so, she said I stopped. So surely I wouldn’t....I wouldn’t cheat,” Brax hated that he’d even be stupid enough to kiss someone else. “I know I did wrong and I’ll be forever sorry but you have to give me something for stopping it before it got too far.” Brax felt his heart beating faster. He was scared for what may come.

“I don’t trust you anymore, Brax,” Charlie shook her head as she felt a tear rolling down her cheek. “And if I don’t trust you then we can’t....” Charlie pursed her lips together.

“We’ll work it out,” Brax sniffed back. “We can get through this. We vowed to be together till death do us part. We can’t break that.”

“We also vowed that we’d trust each other,” Charlie said. “And you’ve made it clear that you don’t trust I’m not going to cheat and I don’t think I trust you either.”

“It’ll come back,” Brax sniffed back a tear. The fear he was about to lose Charlie forever growing. “We can trust again, we can. If we want this to work and we do right, we do.”

“So I’m supposed to just forgive you for kissing that other woman?” Charlie questioned.

“It was a stupid kiss,” Brax said. “And I stopped it. You have to remember I stopped it. I stopped it before it led to sex, surely that means something.” Brax took a step forward and brought his hand out to touch Charlie’s arm, but she took a step away from him.

She pursed her lips together as she shook her head. “It still hurts that you kissed someone else and if you can kiss someone then....” Charlie trailed off as she shrugged her shoulders. “What else can you do?”

“I wouldn’t.” Brax shook his head.

“I eh, I think that right now the best thing for us is to take a break.” Charlie spoke quietly as she bowed her head down, knowing it was something that they needed to do. Want didn’t come into it right now.

“Okay,” Brax nodded. “Let’s just both of us go calm down for an hour or two and -”

“No, Brax,” Charlie shook her head as she looked back up to him. “I mean a break from us. From this marriage.”

“What?” Brax screwed his face up. “You want to split up?” Brax's breathing got heavier, this wasn’t what he wanted, being apart from Charlie wasn’t what he wanted to happen.

“No, I didn’t say that,” Charlie shook her head. “But I think if we want us to still be an....us,” Charlie exhaled and tried to compose herself before talking again. “We need to take this break. Some time apart is probably for the best right now.” Charlie sniffed back a tear.

“No, you’re crying, you see you don’t want this.” Brax stepped forward and wiped the tears from Charlie’s face, fighting back tears of his own.

Charlie stepped back, pushing Brax’s hands from her face. “We need this,” Charlie cried. “And if you want to save our marriage then you’ll leave for a while.”

“What about the twins?” Brax questioned as he felt his heart break a little. “Surely it’s better for them if we stay together?”

“Not if we continue like we have been for the last week,” Charlie replied. “It’s only going to get worse which is why we need to do something about it now, because, I don’t want us to be over and I know you don’t either so you’ll do this for us. I’m only doing this for us, Brax.” Charlie pursed her lips together as she waited on Brax’s response, feeling a tear roll down her cheek.

“How long are we talking?” Brax questioned. “Weeks? Months? A year?”

“Hopefully just a few months at the most, maybe even less,” Charlie said. “We’ll talk and still have days together with the twins, but I believe this break is the only way to save us.”

“What about work?” Brax questioned. “The restaurant is opening next week. How are we going to work together? I’m supposed to teach you the ropes and stuff.”

“We’re both adults,” Charlie answered. “I’m sure we can be civil and like I say, we are going to be working on this. It’s not like we are giving up.”

“And I’ll still see the kids all the time?” Brax questioned.

“Of course,” Charlie nodded. “I’m not going to ever stop you seeing them.”

Brax gave a weak smile knowing he'd still see his children. “I’ll eh....I go pack some stuff then.” Brax clicked his tongue before he walked out of the room towards their bedroom. Charlie took a deep breath as she sat herself down on the couch and held her head in her hands as the tears rolled down her cheeks. She didn’t want this to happen, but right now, she knew it was for the best if they were going to stand a chance at saving their marriage.

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 28

Charlie looked up as she felt a little hand rubbing her arm. “Why do you cry mummy?” Ella questioned as Ruby came into the room behind her.

“Sorry, she got -” Ruby stopped talking as she saw the look on Charlie’s face, the tears on her cheeks. “He’s the father isn’t he?”

Charlie shook head as she looked up to her eldest daughter as Ella climbed up onto her knee and wiped her little hands across her face, removing the tears. Charlie wrapped her arms around Ella, pulling her closer to her, welcoming her comfort. “No but he’s her uncle. Heath’s the father.”

“Heath?” Ruby looked shocked. “Well then why are you so upset and where is Brax?”

“Mummy,” Ella patted Charlie’s shoulder. “We had no ice-cream yet.” Ella shook her head as she held her hands to the side.

“You haven’t?” Charlie gasped. “You go get Noah and see if April wants to come, yeah, and then we’ll go okay?” Ella nodded as she jumped down her knee and ran down the hall.

“Mum?” Ruby put her hand onto Charlie’s shoulder, giving it a light squeeze.

Charlie shook her head as she pursed her lips together. “We eh....we’re going to take a break. Have some time apart. It’s for the best I think.”

Ruby exhaled. She half expected this but it was still a bit of a shock. “Wow, eh...maybe it is for the best. But you’re working through it? This isn’t going to lead to -”

“We’re going to try,” Charlie answered. “I think if we stayed in the same house right now it would just get worse. I know Katie’s been taken out of the situation but.....well we have some trust issues and he’s not exactly been...” Charlie trailed off as the twins came running into the room, Ella holding her dolphin from the aquarium from the day before and Noah with his shark.

“I got Apil.” Ella grinned.

“Aww petal,” Charlie managed to laugh at her daughter. She was glad they were here to be able to cheer her up. “I meant April April, not you’re dolphin April.”

“Oh,” Ella gave a little giggle. “I go now.”

“No it’s okay,” Ruby held her sister back. “We’re going to get some revision done.” Ruby told her mother.

“Okay, I’ll eh.... we’ll talk later when the twins aren’t around,” Charlie spoke quietly but Ruby nodded, hearing what she was saying. “Right, mummy is just going to go clean-up her face a little, cos my tears will have made it look messy.” Charlie said as she stood up from the couch.

“No mummy,” Noah answered. “You prettiest.”

Charlie smiled as she ruffled her son’s hair. “I’ll be right back okay.” Charlie made her way down to the bathroom and it was then that Brax walked out of their bedroom with a case full of clothes.

“That’s me ready,” Brax cleared his throat. “Eh, what are we going do about letting the kids know?”

“They’re two, Brax,” Charlie replied. “I’m not sure they’ll really understand anything we try to tell them. It’s not like we’re splitting up for good. It would be easier if that was what we had to tell them, but, it’s not, you know we....” Charlie trailed off. “I know we need to tell them something, but...”

“We don’t have to do it right now so it’s fine,” Brax sighed. “Eh, if you want me around when you’re telling them just give me a text or call and I’ll make sure I’m there.”

“Sure,” Charlie gave him an appreciative smile. “I’m going to take them for their ice-cream now so....well I’m not going to go out looking like this.” Charlie pointed her to her face.

“You don’t look bad at all,” Brax answered. “You’re gorgeous Charlie.” Brax said quietly.

“Just not gorgeous enough for you to not go kissing other women.” Charlie bowed her head down.

Brax sighed lightly. “Again I’m sorry,” Brax scratched the back of his head. “Look, I’m going to go find somewhere to stay, eh, I’ll call Casey and tell him to come with me. I guess you won’t want him staying either.”

“Casey didn’t stray so he can stay as long as he doesn’t mind the couch.” Charlie retorted.

“Look, I get your hurt but it was just a kiss,” Brax sighed. “It’s not like you’ve not done worse to a person.”

Charlie sniggered as she shook her head. “Just go okay.” Charlie said as she walked the rest of the way to the bathroom and slammed the door in anger. She took a deep breath before going to fix her make-up so she could take the twins out for the ice-cream she promised them.

“Ahh, if I don’t know it now I never will,” April sighed as she shut the book and threw it down onto Ruby’s desk. She turned around and faced Ruby who was lying on her bed, her head resting against the headboard. She exhaled lightly as she saw the look on her face. “They’ll be alright, Rubes.” April said as she stood up and walked over to the bed climbing onto it and lying next to Ruby.

Ruby shook her head lightly as she faced April. “I don’t know if they will.”

“Well you’re mum said they would be working on it, right?” April questioned. “I mean they’re not splitting up for good?”

“Nah,” Ruby shook her head. “But just because they’re going to work on it, it doesn’t mean they’ll work it out,” Ruby sighed. “Maybe they’ll decide that it’s best if they divorce.”

“This whole trust stuff aside, they’re crazy about each other.” April said as she put her hand onto Ruby’s arm and rubbed in gently.

“I guess I just....” Ruby pursed her lips together. “Brax has been with my mum since I was like....12,” Ruby answered. “He’s been my main father figure, and I just....I don’t want my family to be over.” Ruby felt herself welling up with tears.

“Hey,” April brought her hand up to her cheek and rubbed away the tear as it fell out of Ruby’s eye. “You’re mum and Brax don’t want that either,” April said. “Space right now is probably the best thing for them. But they have so much love for each other. They’ll find their way back.”

“Well, that’s what we have to hope, right?” Ruby cuddled her body closer to April’s, enjoying the comfort from her.

“Yeah,” April smiled lightly as she placed a soft kiss on Ruby’s temple. “I know it’ll be hard but just try to not worry about it too much, hmm,” April said. “Just get through your exams, then it’s the summer holidays and we have 6 weeks where we can have fun together and just relax and enjoy each other’s company.”

Ruby smiled lightly as she looked into April’s eyes. “Yeah, that sounds good. And I know I might seem a bit, hesitant, but I do want to try this with you, April. It’s just.....scary you know.”

“I know,” April nodded. “But I’m experiencing this at the same time so, we can be scared together,” April gave a smile as she tucked Ruby’s hair behind her ear. They gazed into each other’s eyes before softly kissing each other, Ruby bringing her hand up and letting it rest against April’s cheek as the kiss became a little more passionate. They pressed their bodies together as they wrapped their hands around each other, the kiss becoming all the while more and more passionate and intense. “Mmm,” April moaned a little as her hand moved under Ruby’s singlet and caressed her bare back, while Ruby’s hand was gently moving in a circular motion on April’s bottom, under her skirt but over her panties.

“Mmm,” Ruby moaned as the kiss deepened yet again, their tongues twirling in each other’s mouths. “Mmm, that was hot.” Ruby whispered as she eventually pulled back from the kiss, looking into April’s gorgeous brown eyes.

“Wasn’t it?” April smiled blissfully as her hand continued to caress Ruby’s back. Ruby nodded lightly as she moved her hand from April’s bottom, moving her hair that had fallen in front of her face. She smiled lightly as she rubbed her cheek, before placing a soft kiss on her lips. She pulled back as she heard April’s stomach rumbling.

“I think someone is hungry,” Ruby gave a little laugh as she looked to the digital clock on the bedside table behind April. It was just after 2.30. “C’mon. I’ll make you something.” Ruby got off the bed and took April’s hand, pulling her up and out of the room towards the kitchen.

“Oh going to cook for me already?” April raised her eyebrows teasingly. “Brave move.”

“Cheeky,” Ruby poked April’s side. “And besides I’ve cooked for you plenty of times.”

“Yup,” April said. “And you can cook so I’m looking forward to this.” April smiled as she sat herself down at the table and watched as Ruby took a pan from the cupboard.

“So you’re not helping?” Ruby questioned.

“You said I’ll make you something,” April replied. “Never mention we, so....” April shook her head. “Cook away my dear.” April grinned and Ruby laughed lightly before making a start to their lunch.

Charlie flicked the kettle on as she took the cup from the cupboard before pulling the jar of coffee down from the shelf. She walked over to the fridge and stared at the picture of Brax with the twins for a moment before opening the fridge and pulling out the milk. “Oh hey, Charlie.” April smiled as she walked into the kitchen and got herself a glass of water.

“You alright?” Charlie questioned.

“Yeah, just woke up and felt a bit dry so thought I’d get a little glass of water,” April answered. “You?”

“Can’t sleep.” Charlie sighed.

“And having a coffee is going to help with that?” April screwed her face up.

Charlie stared at the jar of coffee before looking back to April. “No, it won’t,” Charlie rubbed her forehead. She sighed before taking a seat at the table. “Have I....have I made the right choice?”

April pursed her lips together as she joined Charlie at the table. “It’s probably for the best right now, yeah,” April gave a little nod. “I think you need some time to just get over all this paternity mess, then there’s the trust issues and you’re bound to feel hurt that he kissed someone else.”

Charlie looked to April, kind of surprised she knew the latter. “Sorry Ruby was talking to me about it.”

Charlie gave April a smile. “It’s alright, probably would have found out anyways,” Charlie clicked her tongue. “And, I know he’s arguing it was just a kiss, but....”

“You should be the one he’s kissing,” April said. “It’s alright to feel hurt.”

“It’s just the fact that they were taking each other’s clothes off,” Charlie exhaled. “It was leading somewhere else,” Charlie rubbed her hands over her cheeks. “He’s completely lost my trust. It was going before that woman said anything so it’s not like it’s just because of the kissing. He went out and got drunk last night and came home with no wedding ring on. He gave me some story about spinning it around the table,” Charlie scrunched her face up. “But really?” Charlie exhaled. “Ever since Katie arrived it’s been hell. I’ve hated every minute of it.”

“You’ve had a pretty intense week,” April said. “You’ve probably done the right thing right now. Spending some time apart, just, letting yourself calm down and seeing each other to work over your issues.....it’ll probably make you have a stronger marriage once you get back on track.”

Charlie gave April an appreciative smile. “I just hope it doesn’t take too long. I don’t want the twins to start suffering.”

“But you don’t want to work this out just for the twins, do you?” April questioned. “You and Brax want this for yourselves?”

“I know I do,” Charlie answered. “I feel like I don’t know the Brax we’ve had this last week so I couldn’t tell you what he’s thinking,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “Well, no, I mean he didn’t even really want to have this break so I know he wants us to be together. I just don’t know how easy it’s going to be.”

“If it’s what you both want you’ll get there,” April said. “You look like you could do with some sleep though. You should get back to bed.”

“Like I said, I can’t sleep,” Charlie sighed. “I’m so used to Brax being there with me. I used to always moan that he breathed too heavily or he tosses and turns a lot, and when he drinks he snores so loudly, but without him, it’s....”

“Too quiet?” April said and Charlie gave a little nod.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered quietly. “But you should probably go back to bed. You have an exam tomorrow, right?”

“Yes I do,” April answered. “Hope you get some sleep soon.” April smiled as she stood up from the table, picking up her glass of water. “Night Charlie.”

“Goodnight April.” Charlie smiled lightly as April walked out of the room. She held her head in her hands as she let out a little sigh. She already missed Brax and he hadn’t even been gone a day. She only hoped it wouldn’t be long before they were back together in their house.

Thank you Sarah, beebee, Spotd1, Red Ranger 1 and Sabrina for the comments.

Chapter 29

Charlie walked through the living room and shook her head lightly at Casey who was still lying sleeping, even though it was almost 10am. She walked to the front door and opened it, feeling mixed emotions at seeing Brax at the other side. “Hey,” Brax gave her a smile. “Eh I thought maybe if you didn’t have plans for today we could take the children to the beach,” Brax said. “You know keep it as normal as we can for them. We said we would right?”

“Eh yeah,” Charlie answered unsure. “I ehm...we need to get into a bit of a better place before we start playing happy families with the twins.”

“But you said -” Brax looked confused.

“I know what I said,” Charlie exhaled. “But I still think we need to talk some first. Give it a couple of days before we go out and do stuff together.”

“Right,” Brax pursed his lips together as he looked away from his wife, more into the house. “Where are the twins anyways? It seems awfully quiet.” Brax gave a little laugh.

“They’re out with Melanie for a few hours,” Charlie answered. Melanie was the twins’ nanny when Charlie and Brax were both at work, and although she hadn’t been needed these last few months, she was back in a job when Charlie started working at the restaurant later that week. “I was about to call you actually, see if you wanted to come around to talk but, well your here.”

“Right, well, can I come in then?” Brax questioned. Charlie gave a little nod and Brax walked into the house. “Where’s our hoard of teens?” Brax asked.

“April has an exam so she is at school, Ruby is revising at a friend’s house and Casey is still sleeping.” Charlie raised her eyebrows, unimpressed. Brax shook his head, also unimpressed as he walked through to the living room. He picked up the ragdoll of Ella’s that was sitting on the edge of the cabinet and threw it at his brother’s head.

“Oi Case.” Brax shouted.

“Ahh what,” Casey jumped up in fright looking around the room. “What you wake me for?” Casey questioned as he rubbed his head where the ragdoll hit him.

“Cos its 10am. Get up.” Brax spoke sternly.

“Eh I’m off for study break, remember?” Casey sighed as he rubbed his eyes.

“Well get up and study,” Brax replied. “You want to stay on and do your HSC you’ll need to work hard so better get started now,” Brax told him. “Go on, get up.”

Casey sighed as he stood up from the couch. “Can I at least shower first?” Casey said as he folded the light blanket up and laid it over the arm of the couch.

“Of course.” Brax answered and Casey picked up some clothes from his bag before walking off to the bathroom, sighing heavily as he went.

“Do you want a coffee or anything?” Charlie questioned, not looking Brax in the eye.

“Nah, no thanks.” Brax answered before an awkward silence hit the room. Charlie pursed her lips together as she looked down before she took a deep breath.

“I eh...I wanted to ask you....what.....” Charlie exhaled as she looked back to him but still not giving eye contact. “What possessed you to kiss her?”

“I....” Brax gave a little shrug. “I don’t even remember kissing her so,” Brax exhaled. “I was drunk and stupid and -”

“Being drunk isn’t an excuse.” Charlie shook her head.

“You know what at least I was drunk,” Brax spat. “You were stone cold sober the first time you slept with me behind Angelo’s back.”

“Will you stop bringing the past into this,” Charlie raised her voice. “This isn’t about what I did to Angelo. We’re talking about what you’ve done now.”

“It was just a kiss.” Brax yelled feeling frustrated that Charlie didn’t want to let this go yet.

“It still hurts,” Charlie raised her voice. “I should be the one you want to kiss. Not some stupid stranger, me, I’m your wife,” Charlie hit her fist against her chest. “It was only a kiss and I feel this hurt so God only knows how much I must have hurt Angelo.”

“Thought you didn’t want to talk about what you did?” Brax retorted. Charlie took a deep breath, counting to ten inside her head, trying to calm herself but frustration still grew inside her. “Okay, look,” Brax exhaled. “I’m sorry. I’ve said that already. I can’t take back what happened but it was just a kiss. It’s not like I slept with her, you know, I didn’t cheat.”

“You did cheat Brax, you kissed her.” Charlie replied quietly as she wiped her hand across her face, feeling herself welling up.

“Ahh okay so I kissed Bianca a few weeks ago but you didn’t say it was cheating then,” Brax said. “Why is it any different?”

Charlie gave a little laugh of disbelief. She couldn’t believe he was comparing the two situations. “A friendly goodbye kiss on the cheek and a full on pash with intentions for sex are completely different in my book.” Charlie told him.

“There were no intentions for sex.” Brax screwed his face up.

“You got naked,” Charlie raised her voice. “You don’t get naked with someone if you don’t intend on having sex,” Charlie said. “You kissed this woman; you probably caressed her body like you should only be doing with me. You’re wife, no-one else,” Charlie shook her head. “So I’m sorry but to me that’s cheating. Obviously it’s not as bad as actually sleeping with her but you still crossed a line.”

“Well all I can keep saying is sorry,” Brax said softly. Charlie’s heard the sincerity in his voice. She knew he was sorry for what he did. “Because I am. And I know you don’t want me to keep using the excuse of being drunk, but you know if I was sober I would never look at another woman. Why would I need to when I’ve got you?” Brax questioned. “I love you so much and you are so gorgeous, Charlie I just....don’t throw away what we have over some stupid kiss that meant nothing.”

Charlie pursed her lips together. “I’m not going to throw us away,” Charlie answered. “I meant what I said. I eh...I want us to get back together but I think we need to learn to trust again. You know for whatever reason you don’t seem to fully trust me and right now I don’t fully trust you.”

“Because look at you,” Brax looked his wife up and down as he pointed to her. “You are stunning and you could get any man you wanted.”

“I have the man I want,” Charlie told him. “And back then, I was young and stupid. Yeah getting with you wasn’t so stupid because we ended up married and had the twins, but maybe not finishing with Angelo first was a bit stupid,” Charlie exhaled. “You are my life, Brax. I would never do anything to ruin this family. I couldn’t do that to you or the twins. I’ve committed myself to you. The twins are a huge commitment and I would never ruin their family. I don’t ever want too but if you don’t trust me then maybe we don’t have what I thought we did.”

“I do trust you, okay,” Brax sighed. “I’m just angry at myself for the whole Katie thing and then what I did with this woman and I....I guess I was just trying to shift some blame, maybe,” Brax screwed his face up, not feeling he was able to say what he was feeling very well. “You know, well yeah I might have done this but the past shows you can do it too. But I know it’s your past and people can change and you have, I do trust you, Charlie.” Brax stepped forward and put his hand onto Charlie’s cheek, rubbing it gently. He looked into her eyes and smiled, before leaning down and placing a soft kiss on her lips.

“No, don’t,” Charlie pulled away from him. “Don’t just kiss me and think everything is going to be okay,” Charlie exhaled. “I think we’ve done enough talking for today so.....maybe you should just leave.”

Brax exhaled sadly as he ran rolled his wedding ring around his finger. He clicked his tongue as he gave a little nod. “Okay, I’ll go. Can I see the twins tomorrow?” Brax questioned.

“Yes,” Charlie answered. "Come around about 10 again?”

“Right, bye then.” Brax spoke quietly as he turned and walked out of the house. It was only the first day and he already hated being apart from his family. He only hoped it wasn’t long before he regained Charlie’s trust as he could be back home with them.

April walked out of the hall and started walking down the corridor. She jumped slightly when she felt a hand go onto her shoulder. “How’d you find that then?”

“Dex,” April gave him a smile. “Harder than biology anyways,” April sighed. “How about you?”

“Did not do near enough revision,” Dexter sighed. “But it’s only Year 11 so I’m not going to get too worked up about it.”

“So, we’ll still be calling you Nurse Dexter, will we?” April laugh.

“I’d like to think so, Doctor April.” Dexter smiled back at her. “You eh, you need to get home or you fancy going for a smoothie or something?” Dexter questioned. “As friends,” Dexter added. “Just friends, of course.”

“Eh,” April considered this. She wouldn’t really be doing any harm. Dexter knew where April stood about them. He knew friendship is now all he’d get. “Sure, why not.” Dexter gave her a smile as they continued to walk down the hallway.

“April,” Bianca smiled at her sister as she walked out of her classroom. “How are you doing?”

“I’ll wait outside.” Dexter said as he walked off. He knew something had gone on with the two of them and that April had been staying at Ruby’s but he didn’t know what it was.

“I’m still gay if that’s where this is going.” April sighed.

“April.” Bianca exhaled.

“I’m fine, thank you for asking,” April told her sister. “How about you?”

“Good,” Bianca grinned. “Going out for a romantic dinner with Heath tonight so, yeah, I’m good.”

“Oh nice,” April gave her sister a confused sort of smile. Either Bianca took the news that Heath had a baby very well or he hadn’t actually told her. April believed the latter was more likely to be true. “Well I’m going to go catch up with Dex, so.” April gestured down the hall.

“Can we just talk for 5 minutes,” Bianca said. April sighed lightly as she walked into her sister’s classroom as leaned against one of the desks at the front. “Thanks,” Bianca gave her a smile. “So you’re going out with Dex. Does this mean -”

“No, like I said, I’m still gay,” April exhaled. “Dex is a friend.”

“And he knows this?” Bianca questioned.

“I think so.” April answered.

Bianca gave a little nod as she exhaled. “I miss you around the house,” Bianca said. “I have no-one to yell at to get out the shower in the mornings, for hogging the TV remote,” Bianca gave a little laugh. “No one to complain about my below average cooking skills or just....you know, no one to talk too. To keep me company.”

“So you want me back so you can shout at me?” April questioned.

“Well no, I just meant.....look, I miss you okay, it’s allowed right?” Bianca questioned.

“Of course,” April replied. “I just don’t want to live where I won’t be welcome. Where I won’t be accepted for who I am.”

“Look if this is a phase that -”

“It’s not a phase,” April shook her head. “I am a lesbian. I’m gay and I like women. I always will, okay?” April stood up and went to walk out the room.

“April,” Bianca put her arm out onto her sisters shoulder, pushing her back. “I just think it would be easier for you if you were....” Bianca trailed off as she took a deep breath. “The kids in this school. They can be nasty, April and I don’t want you dealing with that.”

“You don’t want me dealing with it or you don’t want to get a hard time yourself?” April questioned. “You’re my sister and you’re a teacher so people are bound to say things to you, right?” April questioned.

“I just want my sister to be normal. Is there anything so wrong with that?” Bianca questioned.

“Normal?” April screwed her face up. “What the hell is that? Normal? What, would you rather I was like Nicole then?” April questioned. “Two kids to two different men by the time I’m 20?” April screwed her face up. “Is that normal enough for you?” April made quotation marks with her hands as she said the word normal. “You know what, Bianca...” April pursed her lips together. “At least my girlfriend isn’t failing to tell me she has a secret love child like your boyfriend is.”

“What?” Bianca questioned, a worried feeling hitting her stomach. “What are you on about? Who’s your girlfriend and what do you mean a secret child?”

“Why don’t you go ask Heath?” April said before she left the room, slamming the door shut behind her, leaving a very confused Bianca standing alone in her classroom.

Thank you for the comments. :)

Chapter 30

Dexter was in the queue for the smoothies as April took a seat at a table. She rubbed her hand over her forehead as she reflected on the conversation with Bianca, thinking, maybe she’d been out of line and shouldn’t have mentioned the baby. It wasn’t for her to say. She sighed lightly as she saw Violet walking over to the table. “See you’re hanging out with the ex,” Violet exhaled. “Just going to pretend you’re not gay? Probably be easier, right?”

April stared at Violet for a moment before exhaling. “He’s just a mate.”

“Sure,” Violet rolled her eyes. “And I’m straight.”

“Look, I’m sorry things didn’t work out for us but I liked someone else so it wouldn’t be fair to have....used you, I guess.” April screwed her nose up slightly.

“So what, those kisses meant nothing?” Violet questioned.

April looked over to Dex who was still waiting to be served before looking back to Violet. “They were really nice, but....kissing this other person, it’s...” April closed her eyes as she smiled dreamily.

“Why are you pretending?” Violet questioned. “You know you’re gay, I know you’re gay.....Dex, I’m sure he’s sweet but.....I could make you happy, April.”

“I’ve told you I’m not with Dex. We are just friends.” April replied.

“Okay fine, I get it,” Violet sighed. “If you tire, no sorry, when you tire of this whole ‘I’m not gay’ thing then give me a call yeah?” Violet questioned. “If you need more time then, fine, I’ll wait.” Violet said before turning and walking away from her. April held her head in her hands as she sighed. She needed Ruby to be more open about letting people know. She could just shout it out to everyone at school, but knew she’d more than likely lose Ruby if she did that. For whatever reason, Ruby wasn’t ready yet.

“Strawberry banana for April.” Dex smiled as he put the cup down on the table as he took a seat.

“Thanks.” April smiled as she took a drink.

“So what did Violet want?” Dex questioned. “Never seen you talking with her before.”

“Oh we talked at that party quite a bit and she was just saying hey, seeing how exams were going.” April lied.

“Ahh,” Dex nodded. “She’s a bit weird, don’t you think?”

“No,” April screwed her face up. “I like her. She’s nice.”

“Fair enough,” Dex took a drink of his smoothie. “So, anything else on for the rest of the day?”

“Probably head home after this, do some revision.” April answered, already sensing maybe this drink was a mistake and she’d given him the wrong impression by deciding to join him.

“Oh,” Dex looked disappointed. “I thought maybe we could have gone to the movies or something,” Dex exhaled. “You know, like we used to hang out.”

“Dex,” April shook her head. “I just want to be friends. Always. We can never get back together, okay?”

“Not ever?” Dex questioned. “You’re saying there’s never a chance at all?” Dex look disappointed as he looked down slightly.

“Look, Dex, you are so sweet and funny and handsome and quirky and you’re so kind and thoughtful, but, I...” April took a deep breath. “I’m....I’m gay.” April found it pretty easy to tell Dex. And if she found it easy telling her ex-boyfriend she didn’t think she’d find it a problem telling anyone else.

Dex gave a little laugh. “You’re not gay, you....we made out. A lot,” Dex said. “We....but that’s all we did...” Dex trailed off. “That’s why you didn’t want to sleep with me?” Dex questioned as he rubbed his forehead.

April gave a little nod. “Sorry if I hurt you but I....I need to be who I am.”

“Jeeze, I eh....” Dex exhaled, knowing by the look on her face April wasn’t joking around. “I hope it wasn’t anything I done,” Dex said. “My kissing wasn’t that bad, was it?”

April shook her head. “I don’t think you could turn someone,” April answered. “I think it was just the way I was born and I just need to stop kidding myself.”

Dex gave her a smile. “Don’t feel so bad that we ended now,” Dex said. “Yeah it’s a bit bad I chose to fall in love with a lesbian but....well here was me thinking there was something wrong with me because you didn’t want to do anything more that pashing.”

“I’m sorry if I mucked you about, Dex, I really am and I do love you just, not in that way,” April said.

“And you know you will find someone who loves you and you know you can have all that relationship stuff with. Like I said, you’re sweet and funny and that stuff.”

Dex gave her an appreciative smile. “So I don’t even have a chance if I start wearing dresses and change my name to Davina?” Dex joked and April gave a little laugh.

“I think you’d still have a little too much penis.” April said.

Dex raised his eyebrows. “Well how about we settle for you being my gay best friend?” Dex said.

“I’d love to be your gay best friend.” April laughed.

“Okay,” Dex gave a nod. “I’ll drink to that.” Dex smiled as he lifted up his smoothie cup and April did the same and they hit them together before they both took a drink. Dex looked to April and exhaled. He’d always think she was gorgeous but being her friend was better than not having her in his life at all so he’d settle for that.

April knocked on the door before walking into Ruby’s room, seeing her lying on her bed. “Hey, how was your exam?” Ruby questioned as she sat up on the bed as April sat down next to her and placed a soft kiss on Ruby’s lips, happy to see her, Ruby also happy that April was back.

“Way harder than I thought,” April sighed as she pulled back. “I thought I knew chemistry.”

“I bet you did fine,” Ruby said. “You’re like a big brain box,” April gave a little laugh. “So the exam finished a while ago, where have you been?”

“I went for a smoothie with Dex,” April answered. “I eh, I actually told him I was gay,” April bit her lip. “He was supportive though.”

“Oh wow,” Ruby raised her eyebrows. “You didn’t tell him that we were...”

“No,” April shook her head. “I know for whatever reason you’re not ready for that yet.” April exhaled.

“Seems you are though,” Ruby exhaled. “Wanting to be more affectionate in public, telling people.”

“Why not?” April answered. “I want to be with you and I don’t care who knows it. I’m happy. I have nothing to be embarrassed about so why hide it?”

“I’m not embarrassed by you April, I....” Ruby trailed off. “It’s a big thing telling people we’re together.”

“Why is it any different than you and Romeo being together?” April questioned. “Rubes, just....let’s just tell everyone together. We’ll face it together and I promise it’ll be okay. You’ll feel so much better once we do this.”

Ruby pursed her lips together. “Can you let me talk to Romeo first then,” Ruby said. “I feel like I should let him know first. Let him know why I broke up with him without him having to find out from someone else. Can you at least let me do that?” Ruby questioned.

April thought about it before nodding her head. “Okay, that sounds fair,” April gave Ruby a smile as she tucked her hair behind her ear. She smiled at her before they met in a kiss. Soft at first, but soon become more passionate as their tongues found each other’s mouths. “Mmm,” April moaned lightly as they fell to lying on the bed, April moving herself so she was straddling over Ruby, theirs hands exploring each other’s bodies as the kiss continued to intensify. Ruby ran her hands up April back as April’s hand slid up Ruby’s stomach and gently massaged Ruby’s breast. “Mmm.” April moaned once again as they continued to kiss.

“Mmm April,” Ruby moaned as April began kissing along Ruby’s jaw line and down to her neck, placing lots of soft kisses onto it. She continued to caress April’s back, while April’s hand slid back down Ruby’s breast and started stroking her thigh. “Wait,” Ruby pushed April from her and they both sat up on the bed. “I eh,” Ruby shook her head. “I....”

“It’s okay,” April answered. “We don’t need to. We can wait.”

“Sorry I just....”

“It’s fine,” April answered. “To tell the truth I’m not ready for that either yet. I probably would have stopped before it got there.”

Ruby gave her a smile as she cupped her cheek with her hand. “I really really really like kissing you though.” Ruby smiled.

“Good,” April smiled back at her. “Because I really really really like kissing you too.” April said as she leaned her head forward and placed another kiss on Ruby’s lips.

Bianca walked to the front door and opened it to see Heath standing at the other side. He’d smartened himself up and was wearing a pair of dark jeans and a dark blue shirt. “Aren’t you getting ready?” Heath looked confused as he saw Bianca was wearing sweats and a singlet, her hair tied back in a messy ponytail. “We’re supposed to be at the restaurant in 20 minutes.”

Bianca gave a little shrug. “I’m not coming.”

“Oh,” Heath looked confused as he walked into the house. “Why? Are you feeling ill?”

“No, I feel fine,” Bianca exhaled. “I just don’t want to go out anymore that’s all.” Bianca looked away from Heath and Heath knew by her tone that something was wrong.

“Right,” Heath sighed. “Well you could have let me know sooner. We could have done take away and a DVD if you didn’t feel like going out.” Heath said.

“I just don’t feel like being with you, to be honest,” Bianca sighed. “Not if you are going to keep secrets from me. You promised you’d changed, Heath.”

“What?” Heath screwed his face up. “What are you on about? What secret? Babe, I’m not keeping a secret from you.”

Bianca sniggered. “Well that’s not what I heard.”

“Well,” Heath’s eyes widened as he now knew what Bianca was on about. “Charlie. She told you, right?” Heath sniggered.

“No,” Bianca shook her head. “I haven’t see Charlie for a couple of days. It doesn’t matter who mentioned it, Heath, the fact is you have a child and you didn’t tell me. What the hell, Heath.” Bianca raised her voice, she was mad that Heath would keep something like that from her.

“Look, I only found out yesterday okay. It’s not like I’d known all along,” Heath said. “I only found out Katie was my child yesterday, I swear.”

“It’s Katie?” Bianca screwed her face up. “The baby we thought was Brax’s?”

“Eh yeah,” Heath rubbed the back of his head. “She’s mine.”

“Wha...” Bianca trailed off. “Why didn’t you tell me? You were with me all of last night.”

“I know, I....” Heath exhaled as he took a few steps further into the house, closer to Bianca. “I was just waiting for the right time,” Heath said. “You know, you can’t just come out and say it.”

“So you were waiting to soften me up?” Bianca questioned. “Is this what tonight was? You wanted to get me drunk, maybe slightly tipsy so I took it better?” Bianca questioned.

“No, it’s not like that, I -” Heath tried to explain but Bianca interrupted.

“You were with me all of last night Heath,” Bianca raised her voice. “Surely you could have found time then or did you think oh if I tell her now she might get mad then I won’t get sex so I won’t bother?” Bianca spat.

“No, I -”

“Well what was it then?” Bianca shouted. “You wanted time to think up excuses?”

“Because of Rocco,” Heath yelled and Bianca widened her eyes before looking away from Heath, saddened. “I didn’t tell you right away because I knew it would be hard to take after us losing our son, you finding out I had another child would never be easy.”

“Oh I....” Bianca seemed slightly surprised that Heath took this into consideration. “Sorry, I eh....I should have thought better of you.” Bianca spoke quietly as she looked back up at him. The mention of her son bringing back so many memories.

“You don’t say,” Heath sighed sadly. “Look, I’m sorry that this has happened,” Heath said. “She was just a stupid one night thing and it was after we’d broken up.”

“How long after?” Bianca questioned. “They said Katie was 4 months right? So that’s, what?....13 months ago....Rocco only died 14 months ago and we broke up about a month after that so...”

“A couple of days I think,” Heath exhaled. “But look, that’s the past and it doesn’t matter. I can’t change it, but us now.....we’re what I want,” Heath stepped forward and took a hold of Bianca’s hands, gently rubbing his thumb over them. “We’re still okay, right?”

“I eh...” Bianca shook her head. “I don’t know, I....” Bianca pursed her lips together. She loved Heath and she’d only just got him back. She didn’t really want to lose him again but there was no way she could accept this new baby to being a part of her life. “How do you feel about Katie?”

Heath gave a shrug. “I don’t know her. I’ve never been in her life and I can stay away if it’s what you want. Because I want you Bianca, I do okay and if that’s going to mean no Katie, then, I’ll live with that. You are who I want.”

“I couldn’t ask you not to have a relationship with your daughter,” Bianca shook her head as she pulled her hands from Heath’s grasp. “It wouldn’t be fair. Not now you have this chance. After Rocco dying and Darcy being in New Zealand. You have a chance at being a father and I don’t want to be seen as the bitch that stopped that.”

“But I want you,” Heath said. “I want to be with you. We can have a family one day. I know right now you’re not ready and that’s fine. We’re young enough to wait,” Heath exhaled. “I want to be with you.”

“Maybe right now you think that, but in the future I don’t want you to resent me because you chose me over your daughter. She’ll always be your daughter, but me and you....” Bianca shook her head. “We don’t know how long we’d last. I can’t let you throw away your chance at being a dad because I don’t know if I’ll ever feel ready to have another child.”

“So, we....” Heath cleared his throat. “You’re just going to end us? Just like that?”

“I have too,” Bianca sniffed back a tear. “I have to let you be a father,” Heath opened his mouth to talk but no words came out. “There’s nothing more you can say, Heath. Just go.” Bianca said and Heath sighed before leaving the house, upset. Bianca leaned back against the kitchen wall and pursed her lips together as a tear rolled down her cheek. She slid herself down the wall to the floor and hid her head in her hands as she cried.

Archived