Trust in Me

Guest Danni02

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 41

Ruby and April walked into the house, their hands linked together. They threw their school bags down in the kitchen, before April turned to face Ruby, a smile on her face. “You sure no one is home?” Ruby questioned.

“Mmm,” April nodded. “Bianca is still at school and Brax was going to see your mum and the twins.” April said as she walked backwards slightly, Ruby stepping forward with her.

“And Heath?” Ruby questioned. “He doesn’t know about us yet, does he?”

April gave a little shrug. “I don’t think so. But he doesn’t live here anyways so...” April raised her eyebrows before stepping forward and placing a soft kiss on Ruby’s lips. Ruby smiled into the kiss letting it deepen as she brought her hand up and let it rest on April’s back. April put her hands around Ruby’s waist as she walked backwards, Ruby going with her, keeping the kiss going as they made their way through the house and fell down onto the couch, Ruby straddling over April as the kiss intensified. April ran her hands up Ruby’s back as Ruby moved her hand up April’s stomach, before starting to gently fondle her breast. “Mmm.” April gave a little moan as Ruby started to kiss her neck, placing lots of soft, short kisses onto her. She ran her hands up the back of Ruby’s legs before slipping her hands under Ruby’s panties, gently massaging her bum cheeks.

Ruby gave a little laugh at the sensation before kissing up April’s jaw line and finding her mouth, smacking her lips against hers, placing her tongue into her mouth. April moved one of her hands up Ruby’s back, resting it against Ruby’s head, pushing her down slightly as the other hands stayed on her bum cheek. They were so caught up in their passionate embrace that they didn’t even hear the knock at the door, or the door opening.

“What the hell are you doing?” Joanna yelled. “Get off my daughter.” Joanna pulled at Ruby. Ruby stood up and straightened her school dress, not looking Joanna or April in the eye.

“Mum,” April was shocked. She never expected to see her. “What the hell are you doing here?”

“Oh lovely,” Joanna exhaled. “I spend over a day travelling here and that’s the welcome I get,” Joanna shook her head. “I think the big question right now is what the hell are you doing letting your friend be all over you like that?”

April took a deep breath. “She’s my.....” April trailed off as she looked to Ruby who was being very silent. Would Ruby mind if she told her mother? She knew Ruby still wasn’t ready but they could hardly deny it. They were caught and there was no way they could make an excuse.

“Well?” Joanna bellowed as she glared at her daughter.

“She’s....” April bowed her head down. The last thing she wanted to do right now was upset Ruby. They’d just officially got together, she wasn’t about to lose her so soon.

“I’m her girlfriend.” Ruby spoke quietly as she looked up at Joanna for the first time.

“Nonsense,” Joanna shook her head. “My little girl isn’t one of those people.”

“The word is lesbian or gay and yes, I am.” April told her.

“No, April. You are not. I forbid it.” Joanna looked disgusted at her daughter.

“You forbid it?” April questioned. “You can’t forbid what I am,” April screwed her face up. “How dare you come back here after what.....5, almost 6 years and think you can order me around and tell me what to do?”

“Because I am your mother.” Joanna spat.

“You are not my mother,” April shook her head. “You’ve not been a mother to me for a long time. So do not expect just to be welcomed back in my life and get to tell me what to do.”

“Eh, guys....” Ruby rubbed the back of her head, feeling a little awkward, but her attempted at calming the situation before it escalated out of control didn’t seem to be noticed.

“No child of mine will like other women. You can’t like her,” Joanna said as she pointed to April. “Why can’t you be more like Bianca?”

“I love Ruby,” April said, feeling herself welling up that once again, she wasn’t being supported by someone she loved. Bianca was bad enough but at least she was trying now. She didn’t need to go through all this again with her mother. “And you know what; I don’t care what you think. You’re nothing to me anymore,” April tried to sound believable but Ruby could hear she was hurting. “Just go back to Germany. No one wants you here anyways. Bianca and I are doing just fine without you.” April cried before she ran off out of the house.

“April.” Ruby shouted out her name as she ran after her girlfriend, leaving Joanna standing alone in the house.

Charlie walked back into the house and into the living room, to see Ella sitting on the red beanbag chair in a sulk as Noah and Brax played with one of Noah’s Thomas train sets. “Mummy.” Ella looked pleased to see her as she stood up from the beanbag.

“Sit back down,” Brax said authoritatively as he pointed to his daughter. “One more minute to go.” Ella curled her nose up at her father before sitting back down on the beanbag. This is where the twins got sent if they needed a little time out. Noah rarely visited the seat, but Ella was frequently there.

“What did she do?” Charlie questioned.

“Hit Noah then when I gave her her warning she decided to hit out at me so she’s on the chair,” Brax answered. “That’s her third visit there today. She’s been in a right one.”

“She misses you,” Charlie exhaled as she sat down on the couch. “She wants you home. They both do.”

“Well I’m not the one who wanted to leave so....” Brax looked up at Charlie and raised his eyebrows.

“No, I know,” Charlie bit her lip. “But you are the one who strayed away.”

“For God sake Charlie it was just a bloody kiss.” Brax sighed, feeling frustrated that she couldn’t seem to let it go. “If you have any intentions of actually wanting to be with me then it’s about time you let that go. It was just a stupid meaningless kiss.” Brax raised his voice.

Charlie exhaled as she saw two sets of little eyes staring intently at their parents. She stood up from the couch and gestured for Brax to follow her through to the kitchen. He sighed before standing up and walking through behind her. “I’m sorry. I know I need to stop bringing that up but I just can’t seem to let it go. You know I never would have thought you would do that.”

“And I’ll forever be sorry for it,” Brax said. “But it was a stupid kiss and it meant nothing to me, Charlie. I swear. I love you so much and I just want us to stop all this arguing and go back to what we had.”

“I want that too.” Charlie sniffed back.

“Then please stop picking fights with me,” Brax sighed. “It seems like every time I come see you in the hope to talk and reconnect you pick a fight with me.”

“I don’t mean too,” Charlie shook her head. “I....I’m pregnant. My hormones are a bit messed up right now,” Charlie exhaled. “I know that shouldn’t be an excuse but I can’t help it. I don’t mean to do it, but I just get upset or angered a lot easier right now. I don’t mean to take it out on you. I want to fix this, I really do.” Charlie wiped her hand over her eyes. “I just.....I’m trying to deal with this,” Charlie put her hand onto her stomach. “And on top of an unplanned pregnancy I’ve got us to sort out and Ruby isn’t happy with this,” Charlie kept her hand on her stomach. “There’s just so much going on.”

“So then stop making things harder for us,” Brax sighed. “If you keep bringing the kiss up we are never go to get passed it. How about, Katie, the kiss, everything else said and done, we leave it in the past, and start afresh right now, me, you, the twins, Rubes and this little one,” Brax stepped forward and put his hand onto Charlie’s stomach as he spoke. “What do you say Charlie?”

“I’ll try,” Charlie gave a little nod. “So eh.....you’re not going to go see Katie tomorrow then?”

“Uh-uh,” Brax shook his head. “I’ll be at the hospital with you. Because this baby, you and the twins are far more important to me and always will be,” Charlie gave him a smile as she looked up into his eyes. “But I’m not saying that I never want to go and see Katie. She is my niece and I want to be there for her.”

“Okay,” Charlie bit her lip. “I can’t stop you seeing her. She is family after all. But the twins and this baby.....they’ll always come first right?”

“Of course they will,” Brax gave a little nod. “And you too, Charlie. You’ll always be before Katie.” Brax tucked Charlie’s hair behind her ear as he gave her a smile. She smiled back at him, both of them looking into each other’s eyes.

“Mummy,” Noah shouted as he ran into the room. “It time yet?”

“For what?” Charlie questioned as she looked down to her son.

“Ella off beanbag?” Noah asked curiously.

“Oh yes, it will be.” Brax answered.

“We all play?” Noah asked.

“Sure buddy, we’ll be right through.” Charlie smiled as her son as he ran back through to the living room, excited that the 4 of them would be playing together.

“Have eh....have you told the twins about the baby yet?” Brax questioned.

“Nope,” Charlie exhaled. “But I guess we should say something. Maybe tomorrow after the hospital? Once it’s confirmed and we know far along I am and that stuff.” Charlie gave Brax a questioning look.

“Tomorrow is fine by me,” Brax gave her a smile. “Now, let’s go play with the twins, yeah?”

“Yeah.” Charlie returned the smile before they walked through to the living room to play with their kids.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 42

Ruby caught up with April as she ran down on the beach. “Hey April.” Ruby put her hand onto her arm and April span around to face her and fell into her chest, Ruby wrapping her arms around her and rubbing her back.

“Why is she back?” April cried. “Everything was just going fine for me and now she’s come along to ruin it all.”

“Hey, it won’t be that bad,” Ruby continued to rub April’s back. “Maybe it’s a good thing,” Ruby said as she pull back and lifted April’s face up to face hers wiping away her tears with her thumbs. “Maybe this is a chance for you and Bianca to reconnect with your mum.”

“No way,” April shook her head. “You heard her. She forbade me to be gay,” April sniffed back. “There’s no way we’ll be able to have any sort of relationship.”

“Well never say never huh,” Ruby nudged April’s arm. “Me and my mum got through some tough times.” Ruby said recalling the time when she found out Charlie was in fact her mother and not her sister.

“True,” April wiped her hand over her eyes as they took a seat on the sand. “You know I can’t believe you told my mum that you were my girlfriend,” April gave Ruby a weak smile. “My mum of all people.”

“Well, I...” Ruby picked up a clump of sand before letting it fall through the gaps in her fingers. “I kind of surprised myself actually,” Ruby answered. “But eh....you are my girlfriend so.....and she’s not likely to be at school and give us a hard time, is she?” Ruby took a deep breath.

“I wouldn’t put anything passed my mum,” April said. “Ah Rubes, what is she doing here?” April sighed.

“I don’t know,” Ruby said. “Maybe if you’ll talk to her you’ll find out.”

April groaned. “She just walked in on us getting all hot and heavy,” April said. “I don’t think we’ll look at each other the same again.”

“At least we still had our clothes on,” Ruby replied. “You know it could have been worse. A lot worse.”

“True,” April replied. “Ahh....can I come back to your place for a while?” April asked. “Maybe I could have dinner or something? Maybe even spend the night?”

Ruby raised her eyebrows. “Not sure my mum will be keen on that and Casey’s got the spare room now so....” Ruby exhaled. “But you can come around for a while,” Ruby answered. “But you can’t leave Bianca alone to deal with your mum forever.”

“Uhhh I hate that you are right.” April said as she pushed Ruby’s arm, causing Ruby to fall to the side a little.

“If you are dating me you best get used to it.” Ruby grinned cheekily and April gave a little laugh as she stood up from the sand and wiped her school dress down.

“C’mon,” April held her hands out and Ruby put her hands into hers and April pulled her up to standing. “Let’s go.”

“Can we go to the shops first?” Ruby questioned. “There’s something I want to buy.”

“Eh yeah sure,” April smiled. “Going to buy something for your awesome girlfriend?”

“Ahaha you wish.” Ruby said as they walked up of the beach making their way towards the shops.

Bianca gave a girly squeal as she ran into the house, Heath close behind her as he wrapped his arms around her waist and placed a soft kiss on her neck. Bianca turned around to face him and wrapped her arms around his neck as she placed a kiss on his lips. She walked backwards into the living room as they let the kiss get a little more passionate. “Not you as well. I’ve seen more than enough of that today.”

Bianca pulled back as she widened her eyes at the voice that she hadn’t heard in so long. “Mum,” Bianca cleared her throat as she turned to face her, Heath keeping one arm wrapped around her waist. “What are you doing here?” Bianca looked shocked to see her mother standing before her, anger building up inside her at how she could have left for so long. Her fair enough, she was older, but April, April was only 12 when she left, she needed her mother.

“Another lovely reception, just like your sister gave me.” Joanna exhaled.

“I eh....I’ll leave you to talk.” Heath placed a soft kiss on the side of Bianca’s head before walking out of the house. Bianca stood in silence, staring out at her mother.

“Really, him?” Joanna asked. “Oh how you have slipped from Vitorrio. If that wanabee rockstar wasn’t bad enough, look at him.” Joanna turned her nose up.

“Don’t you dare,” Bianca seethed. “Don’t you dare come into my home and judge the man I love after seeing him all of a minute. Heath is a great man.”

“Ah Heath,” Joanna said. “He is the boy’s father,” Bianca took a deep breath at her son being mention. She didn’t feel like Joanna had a right to talk about her child. Joanna looked around the room, before seeing a photo of a baby on the cabinet. She walked over to it and picked it up. “Is this him, Rocky?”

“It’s Rocco,” Bianca said as she walked over and took the photo from her mother’s hand and cuddled it close to her chest. “What are you doing here, mum?” Bianca was keen to change the subject from her son.

“Can’t I come back to see my daughters?” Joanna questioned.

“Why now?” Bianca questioned. “You’ve been gone almost 6 years with only a few emails exchanged. It’s pretty clear you don’t care about us.”

“Zander and I broke up.” Joanna exhaled.

“Ahh so the toy boy got bored of you so you run back to your kids with your tail between your legs?” Bianca questioned. “Well we don’t need you mum. We don’t want you. We are doing fine without you.”

“So fine you let April turn gay,” Joanna retorted. “I was disgusted walking in on her and that other girl all over each other.”

“I didn’t let her turn gay,” Bianca raised her voice. “Do you think she just woke up and decided one day ‘I’ll give it a go?’” Bianca questioned. “She was born that way.”

Joanna sniggered. “Maybe it was just how you looked after her.”

“How I looked after her?” Bianca shook her head in disbelief at her mother’s comment. “If I didn’t look after her she would have had no one, so don’t you dare question how I raised her. At least I did and didn’t abandon her for some idiot young enough to be my son.”

“Look I -”

“Just go,” Bianca pointed to the door. “I don’t want to hear it.”

“I was hoping for a place to stay.” Joanna spoke quietly.

Bianca sniggered. “You have to be kidding me?” Bianca said. “You are not staying here. And even if I wanted you to, you can’t. There is no room.”

“You remember I used to live here, right?” Joanna asked. “This is a four bedroomed house. You and April will have a room so that leaves two spare, right?”

“Brax is in the guest room right now and the forth room....” Bianca pursed her lips together. “It’s not an option.”

“Don’t tell me it’s still set up for Rocky?” Joanna pulled a face.

“It’s Rocco,” Bianca raised her voice, angry that her mother couldn’t even get his name right. “And I’m not ready to change it yet.”

“Oh Bianca it’s been over a year,” Joanna said. “It’s not healthy to keep a bedroom like that.”

“I’ll change it when I am ready,” Bianca replied. “Now, I am asking you to please leave my house.” Joanna took a deep breath before turning and walking out of the house. Bianca looked down to the picture of her son that was still in her hands and took a deep breath before putting it back on its place on the cabinet before leaving the house via the back door in search for her sister.

Ruby and April walked into the house to see Charlie, Brax and the twins sitting playing together. She smiled lightly seeing Brax and Charlie smiling together before she cleared her throat, making them aware of her presence in the room. “Hey Rubes, how was the exam today?”

“Yeah fine,” Ruby answered. “Could we talk. Just me and you?”

“Eh yeah.” Charlie stood up from the floor before looking to Brax.

“Right you two,” Brax stood up as he looked down to the twins. “How about we go outside with April and play with a ball?”

“Yeah,” Ella cheered as she stood up and ran over to April, taking her hand into her. “I with Apil.”

“Me and daddy win.” Noah sang as he ran out of the house, with Brax, April and Ella following. Charlie walked over to the couch and took a seat, with Ruby sitting down next to her, placing the bag down on her knee.

“I eh....I’m sorry about yesterday,” Ruby bowed her head down. “I eh....I did act a bit like a brat.”

“It’s okay,” Charlie smiled lightly at Ruby. “But do you really feel like I don’t have time for you?”

“Sometimes,” Ruby nodded. “I know the twins are young and they need you more than I do but....well I’m never going to stop needing a mother.”

“I know,” Charlie answered. “But I just thought....well not many 17 year olds want to be around their parents, do they?” Charlie questioned. “I was giving you space and you’re independent, I didn’t think you’d want me always around you and we’ve talked a lot lately about the whole April thing. You know I have been there for you.”

“I know but we don’t do as much together as we used too,” Ruby answered. “Sometimes I miss it being just us two and now adding another baby, you know, less time for Ruby.” Ruby exhaled rather sadly.

“Rubes all you had to do was ask me,” Charlie exhaled. “I know you shouldn’t need to and I probably should have noticed it myself, but well sometimes I’m not exactly on the ball when it comes to being a mother am I?”

Ruby gave a little laugh. “I think you are better than you think you are,” Ruby smiled. “The twins and this baby will be lucky to have you.”

“And you?” Charlie questioned.

“Of course.” Ruby smiled.

“How about we set aside a day or night every week, fortnight, month....I don’t know how much time you actually want here, where Brax deals with twins and me and you can go out to dinner or go to the city for some shopping or have a spot of pampering, you know, me and you time?” Charlie questioned.

“Yeah,” Ruby gave her mother a smile. “I’d like that. A special day once a month is fine by me.” Ruby answered.

“Good,” Charlie smiled. “It’ll be fun. Just me and you.”

“Yeah,” Ruby gave her mother a thankful smile. “So, I eh....I bought this to say sorry as well.” Ruby pulled a little orange t-shirt from the bag with the words my big sister loves me written across it in yellow writing.

“It’s sweet,” Charlie ran her hand over the tiny t-shirt. “Thank you Ruby.”

“But just so you are clear, I’m not sure I actually love the thing yet,” Ruby screwed her face up. “I mean what; it’ll be the size of a peanut or something?”

Charlie gave a little laugh. “Probably, but eh, does this mean you are still on the babysitting list?”

“Well two kids I can handle but add a third one and you might need to start offering some sort of cash in return for my superior babysitting service.” Ruby said with a grin on her face.

Charlie gave a little laugh. “I’m sure something can be arranged,” Charlie said. “So, you’re really okay with this?”

“I mean I’m not doing cartwheels over it, but, it’s nice that you’re giving the twins a sibling close in age with them and besides I think Ella will play the jealous big sister very well, so I’ll leave that to her.” Ruby said.

Charlie gave a little laugh before leaning forward and pulling her daughter into a hug. “I love you so much Rubes.”

“I know,” Ruby smiled as she returned the hug. “I love you too.”

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 43

Bianca knocked on the door before she walked into the house. “Hello?” Bianca questioned.

“Bianca, hey,” Charlie appeared in the kitchen from the living room. “How’s things?”

“Is April here?” Bianca questioned.

“Yeah she’s out back with Rubes, Brax and the twins,” Charlie answered as she pointed though the house. “Is everything alright?”

“No, not really,” Bianca sighed. “Mum’s back.”

“You’re mum?” Charlie widened her eyes.

“Yup,” Bianca nodded before raising her eyebrows. “And she’s being her lovely self.” Bianca pulled out a seat at the table and sat down rubbing her hand across her forehead.

“You want a coffee and we can chat?” Charlie questioned.

“Mmm a strong, strong coffee.” Bianca answered.

Charlie gave a little laugh. “I can open wine for you if you want something stronger?” Charlie questioned.

“No, just a coffee is fine,” Bianca answered and Charlie gave her a smile before flicking the kettle on and pulling two mugs from the cupboard. She put a generous spoonful of coffee into one of the mugs before looking down to the coffee and exhaling as she looked down to her stomach. She curled her nose up before putting the coffee away and waking over to the fridge pulling out the milk and the orange juice and pouring herself a glass of the juice. “She makes me so angry.” Bianca almost seethed as she spoke about her mother.

“I’d be angry at my mother too if she up and left me for 6 years,” Charlie said as she poured milk into Bianca’s mug before putting the milk and orange juice back into the fridge. “Especially if she left a little sister behind too that needed a mother.”

“She just.....argh,” Bianca hit her hand off the table as Charlie poured the hot water into the mug and gave it a stir. “She waltzed in and....she just tried to talk like everything was normal. Like she’d been to the shops for a few hours of something.....thanks.” Bianca smiled up at Charlie as she put the coffee mug in front of Bianca and took a seat at the table.

“Did she say why she was back?” Charlie questioned.

“Her and lover boy broke up,” Bianca exhaled. “So she has no-one else so she’s trying to crawl back into our lives and I’ll tell you now, I want nothing to do with her. She left us....she didn’t care, she just went,” Bianca looked furious as she spoke to her friend. “Leaving me, fine, I was 23 and I didn’t really need her as much as April, but April, she was only 12. She needed her mother still but mum would much rather be off in Europe with her toy boy than with her own little girl.”

Charlie bit her lip. “Look, I know how much you love April but.....but do you think maybe you are this angry because you did get left to look after her?” Charlie questioned. “As you say you were this young twenty-three year old, you and Liam had plans to go travelling before settling in LA so he could concentrate on his music. You know you didn’t get to have that life that you’d planned.”

“Well April needed me,” Bianca clicked her tongue. “If I left she’d have been put into care,” Bianca wrapped her hands around the coffee mug. “I eh...I couldn’t do that to her. Her dad left, then her mum left, I couldn’t leave too.”

Charlie smiled lightly. “Well I’m sure she appreciates what you did for her.”

“Yeah I’m not so sure now,” Bianca sighed. “Look how I acted when she tried to come out to me.” Bianca looked embarrassed by the way she’d acted.

“Just because you love her,” Charlie exhaled. “And you’ve come around to it now, right?”

“Yeah,” Bianca answered. “If it’s what’s going to make April happy.....her happiness is the main thing right?” Bianca questioned and Charlie gave a little nod.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “And I don’t think she’s picked a bad choice for a girlfriend either.” Charlie laughed.

“Nah she’s a pretty good one,” Bianca gave a little laugh. “So....how are things with you and Brax going?”

“Why?” Charlie questioned. “Need the spare room back for your mother?” Charlie joked and Bianca glared at her, not appreciating the joke. “But yeah, they’re.....good. We’ve had a good few wobbles but we agreed that from now on we’ll look to the future and....this baby, the twins and our lives with them are what’s important.”

“Good,” Bianca smiled. “So, you think you’ll let him move back home soon?”

Charlie clicked her tongue as she nodded. “I hope so. I feel like I needed to gain at least a little trust for him back before that happens but yeah, hopefully it’s not too long. The kids miss him.”

“Just the kids?” Bianca raised one eyebrow.

“Well yeah, I miss him too.” Charlie cleared her throat, sounding almost embarrassed to admit it.

“Yeah well take it from me and the way he mopes around my house, he misses you and the kids like crazy too.” Bianca gave her friend a smile before taking a drink of coffee, welcoming that the talk had now changed from mother but knew she couldn’t avoid it or her forever.

Ruby sat down on the bed next to April and pulled away the book she was reading. “I think someone has done enough revision.” Ruby raised her eyebrows before placing a soft kiss on her lips.

“Mmm,” April smiled. “Well if you had something else in mind I am sure we could do that instead.”

Ruby smiled shyly as they kissed again. “Well unfortunately dinner is almost ready or we could have.”

“Aww that’s a shame,” April pouted. “Maybe I could stay the night though?” April raised her eyebrows as she tucked Ruby’s hair behind her ear. “Ask your mum, you never know, she might surprise you.”

“Yeah sure,” Ruby rolled her eyes. “Maybe once she and Brax are sorted and she’s in a happier place.”

“That might take a while.” April said sadly.

“Well we’ll have to hope Bianca is more open then eh?” Ruby grinned as she gently rubbed April’s arm, April making April feel all tingly.

“Bianca?” April said. “She’s only just feeling okay with this and now mum is around she’s probably going to be a bit....well....she’ll say no too.”

“Well we’ll just have to make the most of the time we do get together then hmmm?” Ruby said before placing another kiss on her lips. April smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen a little. “Mmm, I’m so glad we are finished school for the holidays after tomorrow.”

“Me too,” April grinned. “Even more so now I have a gorgeous girlfriend to spend all my time with.” April placed another kiss on Ruby’s lips.

“Really, you’ll need to let me meet her sometime huh?” Ruby joked.

“Uh-uh,” April shook her head. “I am keeping her all to myself. “April gave a little grin.

“Oh April Scott, you are so greedy.” Ruby said before they once again kiss. April gave a little laugh as they pulled back.

“So, like you said, last day of school tomorrow,” April exhaled. “And you did tell my mum about us, eh....do you think...”

“No,” Ruby shook her head, knowing what April was about to say. “Sorry. It’s still not the time.”

April pursed her lips together before she gave a little nod. “Okay.” April exhaled as she looked down.

“Hey,” Ruby gently rubbed the bottom of April’s chin before pushing her head up to face her again. “Soon. I promise,” Ruby said before she leaned in and placed a soft kiss on April’s lips. They pulled back as there was a knock at the door before Casey walked into the room. “What do you want?” Ruby glared up at him.

“Charlie wanted me to tell you that dinner was ready.” Casey said before he left the room. April jumped down from the bed and walked out after him. Ruby sighed as rubbed her forehead before getting down from the bed and going through for her dinner.

Thanks for the comments. Got myself a little lost with this one, hopefully I can figure things out soon.....

Chapter 44

Charlie and Brax walked into the house after their hospital appointment. Charlie had had to unlock the door, so figured Ruby and the twins must have gone out. She walked over to the kitchen table were a note was sitting.

Mum

Taken the twins to the park. Don’t have money in my phone otherwise I would have just text you other than this old school method of letting you know.

Rubes.

P.S. Can I have money to top up my phone?

Charlie and Brax laughed lightly as they walked through to the living room and sat down on the couch. “And there was me all ready to tell the twins as well.” Charlie exhaled.

“I’m sure we’ll manage,” Brax replied. “I’ll tell the boy if you want,” Brax gave a little grin. “Leave you to have a mother daughter talk with Ella.”

“Oh no,” Charlie shook her head. “We’ll let Ella together.”

“So we can both deal with her tantrum?” Brax questioned and Charlie gave a little nod. “Maybe she’ll surprise us and be totally fine with it.”

“Yeah right,” Charlie laughed. “She’s made it pretty clear she wants no younger sibling as she’s to stay the baby.”

“Well you never know,” Brax exhaled. “How have you been anyway?” Brax questioned. “You been sick yet?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “But I’m only 5 weeks tomorrow so it’s early days yet, it could still come.”

“Yeah, came full force last time, eh?” Brax laughed.

“It’s not a laughing matter,” Charlie exhaled. “I really hope I don’t get as sick this time.” Charlie sighed as she put her hand onto her stomach.

“At least you’ll know it’s morning sickness right away,” Brax gave a little laugh. “Remember with the twins, you were sick 4 days before you suspected pregnancy.”

“You were sick too though,” Charlie replied. “Remember we thought it was food poisoning from the fish we ate at that market place,” Charlie exhaled. “We were supposed to be out enjoying Bali and instead we spent the first 4 days sitting side by side on the bathroom floor throwing up.” Charlie gave a little laugh, recalling the holiday.

“Yeah, not a great start to our romantic holiday huh?” Brax gave a laugh.

“Well no,” Charlie shook her head. “But finding out I was pregnant was pretty nice.”

“I don’t know how it took us 4 days of you being sick to think about taking a test,” Brax said. “Especially since we were trying to get pregnant.”

“I know but as I said, you were sick too, so you did get food poisoning,” Charlie answered. “And it wasn’t like I was only sick for a small part of the day. It was pretty constant.”

“I guess,” Brax exhaled. “Constant till the day they were born too.” Brax said.

“I don’t need reminding of that,” Charlie look worried that a repeat of her last pregnancy would happen again. “And I especially don’t want to go to a scan and be told there’s more than one baby in there.”

“I told you it’s triplets,” Brax laughed as he placed his hand onto Charlie’s stomach. “Baby A, baby B and baby C.” Brax said as he lightly tapped her stomach.

“Yeah, don’t even joke,” Charlie said. “One baby will do fine thanks.”

“Well think about it,” Brax said. “If you have 3 now it’ll save you getting pregnant again.”

“Yeah and so would you getting a vasectomy.” Charlie said as she glared up at Brax.

Brax widened his eyes. “Are you being serious right now?”

“Do I look like I am being serious?” Charlie questioned. Brax stared at her for a moment before giving a little nod.

“Deadly,” Brax gulped. “You don’t want any more kids after this one?”

“Well don’t you think 4 are enough?” Charlie questioned.

“Maybe,” Brax gave a little shrug. “I’ve always wanted a big family though.”

“Right, but, we already don’t have room in this house for this one,” Charlie said as she once again put her hand onto her stomach. “Where do you think 2 or 3 more would go?”

“In that case we’d need to find a bigger house,” Brax answered. “But for this one, well Casey hopefully isn’t going to be with us forever. And you know, if all goes to plan this time next year Ruby and Casey will have finished the HSC and be thinking about university. Buttons will only be a few months old then anyways so will be fine to stay in our room. Once Rubes and Casey go off to uni we have 2 more bedrooms for baby and more.” Brax gave a little grin.

“And what if they come home for a weekend and holidays? Rubes especially will still need a room. Sorry I’m not as bothered about Casey though.” Charlie stated. “Or what if Ruby choses to go to Northern Districts so will still be living at home?”

“Well like I say, we can find a bigger house.” Brax answered.

“Brax,” Charlie sighed. “It’s not as easy as that. There’s lot’s to consider before moving. And besides, I don’t want to move,” Charlie said. “I love this house and maybe Casey will just have to make it up with your mother so we can have a room for the baby.”

“And what about the twins?” Brax questioned. “I thought you wanted them to have a room of their own when they were older?”

“Well ideally I did, but now this baby has happened they’ll need to share,” Charlie sighed. “Obviously I mean Noah and the baby or Ella and the baby. Depends if it’s a boy or a girl.”

Brax gave a little nod. “Fair enough,” Brax exhaled. “But you don’t want to kick Casey out right away, do you?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “I just mean eventually we will need the spare room for this little one.”

“Buttons.” Brax answered with a smile.

“Really?” Charlie screwed her face up. “You are going to call this one buttons?”

“What’s wrong with buttons?” Brax pulled a face of confusion.

“Nothing I guess,” Charlie exhaled. “And I like it better than bean and sprout.” Charlie screwed her face up recalling that when she was pregnant with the twins he would call them bean and sprout.

“Hey that was genius,” Brax smirked. “Our little bean sprouts.”

“Yeah,” Charlie rolled her eyes. “Anyways do you want to head to the park? See if we can find Rubes and the twins and tell the little ones our news?”

“Sure.” Brax smiled at Charlie as he stood up from the couch and followed her out of the house to go find the kids.

April walked into the house after her last exam. She threw her school bag onto the floor before walking over to the fridge and opening it up, looking for a bottle of water. “April.” April widened her eyes as she heard her mother’s voice. There was no way she could get away from her; she’d need to talk to her. She closed the fridge door and walked through to the living room seeing her mother sitting with Bianca on the couch.

“Why aren’t you at school?” April screwed her face up as she sat down on the chair.

“My last two classes are always free on a Thursday,” Bianca answered. “So, that’s me finished for the holidays.”

“Ah of course.” April gave a little nod.

“So, how was your last exam?” Bianca smiled down at her sister.

“Tough,” April sighed. “Glad to be finished for the holidays.”

“I’ve came just at the right time then,” Joanna smiled at her girls. “You’re both on holiday so we can spend quality time together.”

“No thanks,” April exhaled. “I’m doing just fine without you so you can head back to Germany. Or if lover boy is sick of you head to Spain or Portugal or Holland. Seem to like bedding the Europeans.”

“April,” Joanna gasped at her daughters comment. “Do not talk to me like that. Are you going to let her?” Joanna glared at Bianca.

“She seemed to say the truth,” Bianca gave a little shrug, trying her hardest not to laugh at her sister’s comment. “So, yes, she can say the truth.”

Joanna exhaled as she bit her lip. “Look, I.....I know I hurt you girls when I left, but Zander.....Zander was only 26. He wasn’t ready for the responsibilities of a 12 year old and certainly didn’t want a 23 year old step daughter.”

Bianca sniggered. “So you choose a man over your kids. How do you think that made us feel?”

“Well you were old enough to understand, Bianca.” Joanna argued.

“Fair enough,” Bianca sighed. “But April wasn’t. For months I had to hold her in my arms as she cried herself to sleep because you’d left her.”

“I did what I thought was best,” Joanna replied. “She needed stability. Her life was here. Her friends, her school. This place was all she’d known. I didn’t want to take her away from that and I knew she’d be fine if I left her with you.”

“You should have stayed,” Bianca raised her voice. “Any woman who can put her boyfriend before her kids isn’t worth forgiving. You chose your life now go and live it without us.”

Joanna looked over at April, who was sitting quiet, looking down. “April sweetie, please. I’m sorry for leaving you when I did but....” Joanna shook her head. “I’m here to make it up to you now. To be a mother to you. How about we go shopping? I can get you an iPad, one of those iPhone things, a new laptop, some new clothes.”

April sniggered. “So you want to buy my love?” April asked. “I’ll tell you what you can do for me. Get out of my life.” April almost seethed as she glared at her mother.

“April, give me a chance. Please.” Joanna pleaded.

“So say I did,” April wondered. “How would you treat Ruby? Would you accept the fact I was gay?”

“No,” Joanna shook her head. “You’re not going to be gay.”

“It’s not your choice and I am gay,” April raised her voice. “I hate you so just -”

“April,” Bianca leaned down onto her knees in front of April and put her hands onto her arms, rubbing them gently. “She’s not worth it. Don’t let her get yourself all worked up, okay. Why don’t you go and get changed then we’ll go along to the diner. Get a milkshake and some cake?”

“Sure. Sounds good.” April smiled at her sister before she stood up and walked over to her bedroom, closing the door shut as Bianca stood up and turned to face her mother.

“I let you in. You said what you wanted, but we still don’t care to know, so maybe it’s time you left, yeah?” Bianca said as she glared at her mother.

Joanna exhaled sadly as she stood up from the couch. “I just want a second chance,” Joanna answered. “Surely you can both be adult enough to give me that,” Bianca pursed her lips together as she glanced in the direction of April’s room before looking back to her mother. “I’m not leaving town anytime soon so if you change your mind you’ll find me at the Sands.” Joanna spoke quietly before she walked over to the door and left her daughter’s house, saddened that they didn’t seem to want anything to do with her.

Thanks for the comments. Sorry about this one. I’m not that pleased with it, but hopefully it picks up again soon for you guys.

Chapter 45

Charlie and Brax walked along the path to the swings at the park. They both gave a smile as they saw Noah and Ella climbing up the stairs and sliding down the slide. “Hey kiddies you having fun?”

“Daddy,” Ella cheered as she ran over to him and jumped up into his arms. “We play park.”

“Yeah,” Brax smiled as Noah appeared before them taking hold of his mother’s hand. “Can you kiddies come sit with me and mummy for a while because we have something we want to talk to you about.”

“Oh you telling them about the whoopsie?” Ruby asked.

“What the Whoopsie?” Noah screwed his face up.

“Thanks for that Rubes,” Charlie glared at her daughter as they walked over to the bench and took a seat, Charlie lifting Noah up onto her knee as Brax sat down with Ella on his. She looked down to the kids who were both looking to her intently. She took a deep breath before talking. “Mummy and daddy are going to have another baby.”

“A baby brother?” Noah’s eyes widened in excitement at the news.

“Could be,” Brax smiled at his son. “You think that’s cool? Mummy has a baby in her tummy.”

“Yeah,” Noah screeched. “My brother.” Noah put his hands onto Charlie’s stomach and she smiled down at him before looking to Ella who was sitting with a scowl on her face, looking like she was about to burst into a full blown tantrum.

“What do you think petal?” Charlie ran her hand through her daughter’s ponytail.

“No,” Ella batted Charlie’s hand away. “You not to mummy.”

“Well we are having a baby sweetie, alright,” Charlie answered. “It’ll be good though. You have someone else to play with.”

“No,” Ella shook her whole body from Brax’s knee in frustration. “I say no.” Ella jumped down from Brax’s knee and started to run away across the park.

“Ella,” Brax stood to his feet and walked after her, picking up his pace as she made her way to the car park. “Ella stop,” Brax started to run forward and grabbed Ella back from running onto the car park. He turned her around to face him and bent down to her level. “Petal, babies are good things.”

“No, I the baby,” Ella pointed to herself as she welled up with tears. “I say you no to have one.”

“Well you’re not the boss.” Brax said as he rubbed his daughter’s cheek.

“I is the boss,” Ella stomped her feet off the ground. “No baby,” Ella shouted as tears fell from her eyes. Brax exhaled lightly as he lifted his daughter into his arms, laying her lengthwise across his chest. “No, put me down.” Ella squealed as Brax made his way back to Charlie, Ruby and Noah.

“No, you’re my baby so I need to carry you like one.” Brax told her.

“No no daddy.” Ella turned her head and tried to bite his hand.

“Don’t you dare,” Brax scolded. “Now stop being silly.”

“I not silly.” Ella sniffed back as Brax stood before Charlie, Noah and Ruby at the bench.

“Ella,” Noah looked up to his sister who Brax was still holding like a baby. “Baby brother is good.”

“No a brother,” Ella shook her head. “A whoopsie.”

“Sorry,” Ruby gave a little laugh as Charlie and Brax stared at her. “I think it’s really cool we are getting new little baby sibling.” Ruby smiled down at Ella who still looked furious.

“No whoopsie.” Ella squealed.

Charlie sighed as she exchanged a glance with Brax. There was no point in keeping pushing it on her. They would probably make her worse if they kept trying today. “I like it,” Noah smiled sweetly up at Brax. “I’m happy.” Noah jumped down from the Charlie’s knee. “My little brother.” Noah danced around Brax as he smiled down at his son.

“How about we go to the diner?” Brax questioned as Ella wriggled to get out of his grasp, but he held her tightly. “Celebrate with juice and cake?”

“Yeah,” Noah’s eyes lit up. “Chocolate cake.”

“Sure.” Charlie smiled as she and Ruby stood up from the bench and Noah took his mother’s hand.

“I get cake too?” Ella squeaked from Brax’s arms.

“I don’t know,” Brax sighed. “We only buy happy kids cake.”

“I happy,” Ella replied. “I like cake.”

Charlie gave a little laugh as they walked in the direction of the diner. She had 8 months to get Ella to welcome the idea of a new sibling and was pretty sure that eventually Ella would be excited.

Charlie, Brax, Ruby and the twins walked into the diner, where Ruby saw Bianca and April sitting. “Hey,” Ruby smiled as they walked over to them. April smiled weakly up at Ruby. “Oh dear. Shake and a cake,” Ruby widened her eyes. “What’s happened?”

“My mum’s what’s happened.” April exhaled before taking another bite of her cake.

“Well don’t be wishing she didn’t,” Ruby said as she took a seat next to April with Brax and Charlie pulling another table across so they could all sit together. “If she didn’t happen, you wouldn’t have happened and if you didn’t happen we wouldn’t have happened and that would be just awful.” Ruby gave her a little smile as she gently rubbed her knee from under the table. April smiled, surprised at both what Ruby said in such a public place where people could hear her and that she was rubbing her knee.

“I guess,” April sighed. “How are you anyways?”

“Not good Apil.” Ella answered as she shook her head. April looked to Ella who was sitting on the chair in-between Bianca and Brax.

“Oh no, what’s wrong Ella?” April asked, sounding concerned.

“Mummy have a whoopsie.” Ella sighed, most unimpressed.

April screwed her face up, looking a bit confused. “She mean a baby brother.” Noah beamed.

“It might not be a boy, Noah,” Charlie told her son before looking to April. “So yeah, you might have figured out that I’m pregnant.” Charlie spoke quietly as she saw Colleen walking close by.

“Aww Charlie,” April gave her a smile. “Congratulations.”

“No Apil,” Ella shook her head. “It’s not good. It’s whoopsie.”

“Ella,” Brax tried not to laugh. “Stop calling it that. It’s going to be buttons, okay?”

“Buttons,” Noah giggled. “Brother buttons.”

“So you got around to telling the twins then?” Bianca smiled down at them.

“Yeah,” Charlie sighed. “And as you can see we’ve got a little bit mixed excitement.” Charlie looked down to the kids, Noah still grinning at the thought of a brother, but Ella scowling as she glared at Brax.

“Aww Ella,” Bianca looked down to the little girl next to her. “Babies are great. You’ll love having a little baby to cuddle and coo over.” Bianca gave a soft smile before exhaling.

“No,” Ella shook her head. “She not to have it.” Ella pointed to Charlie as she spoke.

“Anyways,” Ruby exhaled, changing the subject from the baby. “You’re still not up for giving your mum a chance?”

“I’m certainly not,” April answered. “She’s not been a mother to me for the last 6 years. Bianca is more of my mother and I’m fine leaving it that way,” April sighed. “But can we please not talk about this?”

“Sure if you don’t want too,” Ruby sighed. “How about we go for a walk then head back to my place and hang out?”

“Yeah, sounds good.” April smiled as she stood up from the table. “See you later Bianca.” April gave her a smile.

“Bye.” Bianca answered.

“Oh yeah mum, can I then?” Ruby questioned.

“Can you what?” Charlie screwed her face up, not knowing what Ruby was on about.

“Money for my phone,” Ruby answered. “Can I get some?”

Charlie sighed as she fished her purse out of her bag. “What happened to the $200 you got two weeks ago?”

“Ah I spent that already.” Ruby answered.

“On what?” Charlie asked.

“Money for my phone, new make-up, that cute purple top I had on the other day and just stuff,” Ruby screwed her face up. “So, can I please have some more?”

“If you just had you’re phone topped up how can you need it again?” Charlie asked.

“Because I’ve been texting April a lot,” Ruby answered. “Less of the hundred questions and just tell me if I can get money or not.” Ruby sighed.

“Here.” Charlie handed Ruby some money.

“Thank you,” Ruby gave a little jump before placing a kiss on her mother’s cheek. “See you.” Ruby said before she and April disappeared from the diner.

“Mummy where the cake?” Noah sighed impatiently.

“Someone will come take our order soon,” Charlie told him. “They are busy today.”

“Ahh.” Noah slumped his head down against the table as he waited.

“So, you two all set for tomorrow night?” Bianca questioned. The restaurant was due to open on Saturday, but tomorrow they were having a little gathering, with Bianca, April, Heath, Leah, Miles, Gina, John, Alf, Marilyn, Roo and Casey being invited to eat before it officially re-opened.

“Yeah,” Brax answered. “Will be glad to get back to work again to be honest.”

“Yeah I bet you’ve missed it,” Bianca exhaled as she took a drink of her coffee. “You ready to start your new career?” Bianca looked to Charlie as she spoke.

“Yeah I guess so.” Charlie answered.

“Don’t sound too excited about working with me.” Brax looked offended as he glared at his wife.

“Sorry, I am, I just....” Charlie bit her lip. “We’re still trying to figure us out and now we’re going to be working together and...well you know.”

“I think we are pretty figured out,” Brax sighed. “I don’t think we have any problems at all.”

“Brax you know how I feel right now and that’s a problem.” Charlie exhaled.

“Well the more time we spend together the more likely it is that you’ll learn to trust me and we’ll be fine again.” Brax said and Charlie gave a little nod, knowing what Brax said was right.

“Yeah I know.” Charlie gave him a smile before looking to see if someone was going to come and take their order.

Thanks for the comments. Again, not loving this one, but I think I know where I want to take this one now, so hopefully I am back on track...

Chapter 46

Charlie, Brax and the kids walked back into the house. Ella and Noah ran along the hall to Ruby’s room and jumped in excitement at seeing the sign on the door was green, meaning they were allowed to play. They pushed the door opened as they yelled out her name, to see Ruby and April pulling away from each other dressed only in their underwear. “Get out.” Ruby yelled as both her and April went red in the face.

“But it green.” Ella stomped her foot on the ground.

“Get out.” Ruby yelled again as she reached for the throw at the end of her bed, covering more of her and April.

“Hey you two what you -” Charlie trailed off as she walked into the room to see Ruby and April getting even more embarrassed. “Oh.” Charlie tried not to make eye contact as she pulled the twins out and into the hall.

“What’s wrong?” Brax questioned, about to walk into the room but Charlie pushed him back and walked away closing the door behind her.

“What they doing?” Noah looked all curious at his mother.

“They were just getting changed,” Charlie cleared her throat as she ushered the kids along the hall with Brax following. “Why don’t you pick a game from the toy-box and mummy will play it with you.”

“Okay.” Ella answered.

“We get juice?” Noah questioned.

“Sure.” Charlie nodded as Ella and Noah ran over to their toy box before Charlie walked into the kitchen to get the kids their juice.

“Did they just walk in on them about to -” Brax gestured with his hands.

“Mmm,” Charlie nodded. “Even I feel embarrassed so I wonder how Ruby and April are going to feel.”

“It’s embarrassing,” Brax nodded remembering one time a long time ago when his mother walked in on him in a compromising position with a young woman. “Your parents never walk in on you?”

“Nah,” Charlie shook her head. “After what happened with Grant I never really got involved with boys for a while then by the time I did I had moved into a place with Bianca,” Charlie answered. “She’s walked in on me before but a friend isn’t as embarrassing as your parents.”

“Yeah,” Brax answered. “Still walking in on two chicks together....it would be pretty hot.”

Charlie screwed her face up. “That’s my daughter. And your step-daughter.”

“True. Sorry,” Brax exhaled. “And you know they’ll be way more embarrassed than you.”

“Yeah.” Charlie gave a little shudder before she opened the fridge and took out the apple juice before reaching for the twins’ cups and pouring them a glass.

“Although you realise you should maybe talk to Ruby though right?” Brax questioned.

“No, I don’t think I should,” Charlie shook her head. “That will make her even more embarrassed. We should just leave it.”

“I guess.” Brax exhaled.

“Yeah. Anyways are you going to stay and play whatever the twins pick out too?” Charlie questioned as she put the apple juice back into the fridge.

“I’d love to yeah,” Brax smiled at Charlie as they walked back through to the room, Charlie placing the twins’ juice down on the table before she and Brax sat down on the floor next to the twins. “So kiddies what you picked?”

“I to play princesses,” Ella answered. “He won’t.” Ella furrowed her eyebrows as she pointed to her brother.

“We play trains.” Noah said as he held Thomas train in his hands.

“How about we do this jigsaw?” Brax said as he pulled out a jigsaw from the box, hoping to find something both his kids wanted to do.

“Okay.” Both kids answered as they pulled at the box, both of them wanting to open it. Charlie looked up as she heard Ruby’s door closing as saw April and Ruby, both still very embarrassed looking walking into the living room.

“I’m just going to walk April home.” Ruby said as she failed to look up at her mother.

“Right,” Charlie answered. “Will we be seeing you tomorrow at the restaurant?”

“Eh, yeah,” April cleared her throat. “See you then.” April spoke quietly before she rushed out of the house with Ruby following after her.

Bianca was walking along the beach when she saw her walking up to her. She sighed, wishing she could turn and run away, wishing Heath wasn’t in the city seeing Katie, but was instead here beside her for support, but he wasn’t so she’d need to face her alone. “Nice afternoon for a walk along the beach, don’t you think?”

“I suppose it is, yes.” Bianca answered. If Joanna was going to be staying in the bay, she’d have to learn to at least give her small talk.

“She’s never changed much, has she?” Joanna answered. “Shake and cake was always a way to make April feel better.”

“Yeah.” Bianca said.

“I hate this,” Joanna sighed. “I just want to get to know my daughters again.”

“Get to know us again?” Bianca questioned. “It should never have come to that in the first place. You shouldn’t need to get to know us again. You should know your children.”

“Look, I made a mistake,” Joanna said. “I’m only human. Everyone makes mistakes.”

“Pretty darn big one you made,” Bianca said. “And it’s taken you long enough to realise it. Why should we just forget that you abandoned us for that long? You can’t expect us to.”

“I’m not asking you too,” Joanna shook her head. “You have every right to be hurt and upset and whatever else you feel, but I am your mother. Please, Bianca. Give me a chance to make it up to you.”

“I can’t speak for April, but....” Bianca pursed her lips together and she shook her head. “I can’t. Because, the one time I really needed you in all the years you were gone....the one time I wanted my mother by side...” Bianca took a deep breath as she felt tears stinging her eyes. “My son died and your weren’t here for me. I asked you to come. I did,” Bianca wiped her hand across her cheek as she wiped away a tear. “I needed you then. I needed my mum but you wouldn’t....you didn’t come back for me. That was the hardest thing I’ve had to face and you didn’t come to comfort me. To offer me support like a mother should.”

“Bianca I -” Joanna felt herself welling up as she saw her daughters upset. She took a step forward and went to put her hand onto Bianca’s arm in support.

“Don’t,” Bianca shrugged herself away. “For leaving us....fine I’ll forgive you,” Bianca exhaled. “But for not being here for me when I was going through something so huge....” Bianca shook her head. “I will never forgive you for that.” Bianca sniffed back as she turned and walked away, leaving Joanna standing alone on the beach.

Thank you for the comments.

Chapter 47

Brax looked over the room to his wife. He smiled as he watched her filling up John’s champagne glass. She was so beautiful and there was an extra glow about her now that she was pregnant and Brax couldn’t wait to share their news with their friends and eventually meet their little baby. He gave her a smile as walked over to the bar and placed the bottle back down. “What?” Charlie questioned as she looked up at him.

“Nothing,” Brax answered as he picked up the two bottles of beer he was getting. “Sure I can’t get you anything to drink?”

“Not like I can have anything is it?” Charlie questioned.

“I guess not,” Brax said as they walked back over to the table, taking their places opposite each other. Brax gave one of the beers to Heath before hitting a knife against his bottle, causing the light chatter to stop and everyone looked up the table to Brax. He stood to his feet and looked down to his family and friends. “Well thank you all for coming tonight,” Brax smiled down to everyone. “Testing out the new menu and waitress for us.” Brax gave Charlie a cheeky grin.

“Think she’s more than a waitress bro,” Heath laugh. “You’ll need to get permission from her now for everything.”

“Oh I’m sure it’ll still be a joint decision.” Brax replied.

“I don’t know,” Charlie said. “You were the one who wanted to call the place Charlie’s,” Charlie laughed. “It would only seem right that since it’s my name above the door I get the final say, right?”

“I’d say that’s a good argument,” Miles laughed. “Like I told you mate, should have called it Brax’s when you had the chance.”

Brax gave a little laugh. “Anyways, I hope you enjoy the meal and don’t drink us out of too much alcohol eh, save some for tomorrow night.”

“Shouldn’t have made it a free bar then,” Heath laughed as he picked his bottle of beer up. “I’ll drink this place dry tonight.” Heath took a large glug of the beer.

Brax glared at his brother before looking back to the table. “Well I’ll stop talking; let you get your food.”

“Good idea,” Miles commented. “I’m starving. Bring on the food.” Charlie laughed lightly as she stood up from the table. “I’ll go see if the kitchen is ready.” Charlie said and Brax stood up and followed behind her, hoping that the future looked good for not only him and Charlie but also for their new restaurant.

Ruby stood outside, looking out to the ocean from the balcony of the restaurant. She was feeling rather warm so she popped out to the balcony for some fresh air before dessert was served. “Want a drink?” Ruby sighed as she heard his voice. She turned around to see Casey standing there with two bottles of beer in his hand.

“You know I’m only 17 right?” Ruby said as she rejected the offer of a beer.

“It’s one bottle.” Casey sighed as he put it down on the table.

“Still doesn’t make it right,” Ruby replied. “Just because you are 18 now doesn’t mean everyone else is you know?”

“It’s one bottle,” Casey said again. “Chill a bit.”

“How did you even get it?” Ruby questioned. “You shouldn’t be behind the bar.”

“I’m sure Brax won’t mind,” Casey laughed before taking a swig. “Besides, it’s a free bar anyways so it’s not like I am stealing.”

“No, just encouraging someone underage to drink in her mother and step-fathers restaurant.” Ruby screwed her face up.

“Alright alright, don’t drink it. Geeze,” Casey screwed his face up. “So anyway, you glad it’s the summer holiday’s now? No school to worry about for a while.”

“Yeah,” Ruby answered. “Will be good to just chill out.”

“Maybe we could hang out?” Casey questioned. “You know....get close again.” Casey raised his eyebrows as he put his hand onto Ruby’s back, letting it rest on the lower part.

“No thanks,” Ruby shrugged away. “Like I’ve told you I’m not interested.”

Casey exhaled. “Rubes, you don’t have to pretend. I can tell you still dig me.”

Ruby sniggered. “Must be all in your big head,” Ruby sighed. “Speaking of big heads, when did you become so cocky?”

Casey gave a little shrug. “Chicks dig a confident man.”

“Well there’s being confident then....” Ruby trailed off as she looked Casey up and down. “Just leave me alone Casey. I am not interested and never will be.” Ruby walked away and walked back into the restaurant as Casey followed after her.

“I know it’s not true,” Casey said as he reached out for her arm and Ruby span round to face him again. “You want me. Just admit it to yourself.” Casey stepped forward and lightly rubbed her cheek with his hand before leaning forward to kiss her.

“Case,” Ruby pushed him back as Brax walked over to them, to stop Casey. "Stop it. I don't want you. Okay. Get it through your thick head. What we had is the in past and always will be and I'm not even available even if I did want to be with you."

"What?" Casey questioned. "Don't tell me you are back with Romeo?"

"No," Ruby shook her head and took a deep breath as she glanced around the room; everyone staring at them as their voices was slightly raised. "It's April. I'm with April."

April looked shocked that Ruby had admitted it in a room full of people. Leah, Miles, Alf, Marilyn, Roo, Gina, John and Heath had all heard and all of them looked even more shocked. Brax and Bianca were even shocked at they already knew about it. April looked to Bianca who encouraged her to go forward. Ruby smiled as April walked over to her and stood close to her. “You can’t be serious?” Casey gave a little laugh of disbelief. “You two are not gay.”

“We are,” April answered as she linked her hand with Ruby’s. “We are a couple.”

“Well you go away to visit your sister for a few weeks you don’t expect to come back to see two presumed straight girls hooking up.” Miles exhaled. He and Leah had only gotten back from Thailand that morning after being out there for a few weeks to visit Sally.

“Strewth,” Alf said. “I heard about young April via Colleen but Ruby too?” Alf questioned.

“Well you know as long as they are happy who are we to judge?” Marilyn said as she looked from Ruby to April.

Ruby took a deep breath as she felt all eyes on her. “So yeah eh....I’m going to go.” Ruby’s hand slipped out of April’s as she ran from the restaurant.

“Ruby.” April shouted after her before she ran out behind her.

“They’re gay?” Heath screwed his face up. “Gay? Really, Buckton’s daughter and you’re...” Heath pointed to Bianca. “Did you know this?”

“Yeah,” Bianca answered. “It wasn’t like I was keeping it from you, you know they just....well Ruby was still trying to get her head around the fact she liked April. She wasn’t ready for it to be broadcast.”

“Wow,” Heath exhaled. “That’s just....” Heath laughed as he looked to Casey. “Dude you must seriously have been bad in the sack if you’ve managed to turn her.”

“Shut up,” Casey yelled at his brother. “Besides she was with Romeo after me so if anyone did the turning it would be him.”

“No one did any turning,” Brax raised his voice. “She can’t help the way she feels for April. As long as they are happy together that’s all anyone should care about.”

“What’s the raised voices for?” Charlie questioned as she came back into the room, having been in the kitchen.

“Your daughter being a dyke,” Heath gave a chuckle. “Really is like you eh?”

“What....where is she?” Charlie questioned as she looked up to Brax.

“She ran out eh,” Brax said. “April’s gone after her so just leave them too it.” Charlie gave a little nod before looking around the table.

“Right,” Charlie gave a little nod. “Well that’s the chefs saying desert is ready so if you’re all still hungry?”

“Oh yes,” Miles nodded. “Bring it on.” Charlie looked to Brax who walked with her to the kitchen, ready to serve the next course to their guests.

Brax was leaning forward, his elbow resting on the table and his head resting on his hand. He picked up the bottle of champagne and shakily poured it into the glass, managing to spill some onto the table as he did so. Charlie walked back into the room from the toilet and shook her head lightly at her husband. “And you don’t even like champagne.” Charlie said as she sat down next to him as he took a big drink of the glass.

“Better than wasting it.” Brax answered as he put the glass down on the table. All the guest had gone home a while ago, leaving Charlie and Brax to clear away everything.

“I think you’ve probably had enough to drink anyways,” Charlie told him. He wasn’t completely drunk, but he wasn’t sober either. “You’ll want to keep a clear head for the big opening night tomorrow no? We are fully booked so it’s going to be a busy one.”

“I’m drot nunk,” Brax said before he screwed his face up. “Not drunk, I mean. Just a little merry and I’ll be fine by opening time.”

“Hmm if you’re sure,” Charlie exhaled. “Tonight was good, right?”

“Yeah yeah,” Brax nodded as he reached for the glass and took another drink. “Even with the unplanned announcement,” Brax gave a little laugh. “Case looked gutted. He still likes her, I think.”

“Well he shouldn’t have cheated on her.” Charlie replied.

“Nah the stupid kid,” Brax put the glass back down on the table and reached for the bottle and looked slightly disappointed that it was finished. “Anyways, shall we open another bottle?” Brax questioned. “Celebrate the success of the night?”

“Besides the fact I can’t drink, it was only with our friends,” Charlie answered. “The real challenge is tomorrow.”

“You’ll rock it,” Brax gave her a smile. “Your ace at everything,” Charlie returned the smile as Brax leaned forward and rubbed her hand with his. “You know I am sorry, right?” Brax exhaled. “For pashing that woman. I didn’t...I’m sorry I got naked and you know....with her,” Brax said. “I don’t want to kiss anyone but you.”

“It’s alright,” Charlie exhaled. “That’s in the past. We’ve said all we are saying about that and just concentrating on the future. Me, you, Rubes, the twins and little buttons.”

“You said buttons,” Brax grinned as he leaned even closer to her and put his hand onto her stomach. “How’s Ella been today?”

Charlie gave a little laugh. “It’ll be a while before she comes round to the idea,” Charlie answered. “Noah is stoked for brother buttons though,” Charlie told him. “He told Melanie when she came around to look after the twins tonight. Of course Ella was quick to tell her it was a whoopsie.”

Brax gave a little laugh. “They rock though, don’t you think?” Brax questioned. “I know Ella can be a little monster at times but she’s our little monster. I wouldn’t want her any other way.”

“I know,” Charlie gave him a smile before exhaling. “Anyways, I should probably get home to them. And Rubes. See how she feels about her coming out.”

“Yeah.” Brax said as they stood up from the table. As they stood Brax swayed forward slightly, resulting in Charlie putting her hands onto his chest, to stop him falling onto her completely. Brax gave a little laugh as he rested his head on her shoulder. “Maybe I have had one to many beers.”

“Yeah,” Charlie agreed as Brax brought his head up and their eyes met with each other’s. They both smiled as Brax leaned in and gently brushed his lips against hers. Charlie smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen a little as they wrapped their arms around each other; Charlie’s going around his neck as Brax went around her waist. “Mmm,” The kiss got a little more passionate as Brax moved his hands down and gently squeezed at her bottom, before running his hand down the back of her leg before going up her skirt. “Mmm, Brax,” Charlie pulled back and Brax exhaled, saddened as he bowed his head down. “Don’t ruin it. The kiss was nice, but...”

“No, I know.” Brax spoke quietly.

“C’mon, I’ll walk you home.” Charlie said as she stepped further back from him and took his hand into hers to steady him a little.

“Shouldn’t I be walking you home?” Brax questioned.

“I think it’s safer if I walk you tonight.” Charlie said as they left the restaurant, Brax feeling more hopefully that he may be invited home sooner than he first thought.

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 48

Ruby walked into the kitchen as she yawned. “Morning sleepyhead.” Charlie smiled up at her daughter.

Ruby groaned as she sat down at the table resting her head against it. “She sleepy still.” Noah giggled as he pointed to his sister.

“Not on table,” Ella gasped at Ruby. “Get up,” Ella instructed. Charlie put down the kids’ little plastic bowls. Ella’s yellow and Noah’s green, matching their cups. Ella looked down to the sliced up apple and banana and screwed her face up. “It rubbish.”

“Maybe I’ll treat you to a cupcake later if you’re good today,” Charlie said as she filled their cups up with some milk. “But this is always your morning snack.”

“I love apple,” Noah swung his legs in the chair. “Yum yummy yum.” Noah took a piece into his mouth as Ella picked up a piece of banana.

“Ruby get your head off the table,” Charlie said as she sat down next to her. Ruby groaned as she sat up to look to her mother. “What you doing sleeping in till this time?” Charlie questioned. “I know it’s the school holidays but -”

“What?” Ruby looked confused. “It’s not that late, is it?”

“It’s 11.30.” Charlie answered.

“Oh wow, I eh.....” Ruby exhaled. “I’m really tired.”

Charlie looked to her daughter and saw she her complexion was paler than usual. She put her hand onto her brow and noticed she was a little warmer than usual. “How’s your levels this morning?”

“Fine,” Ruby answered. “I just checked them.”

“How are you feeling?” Charlie questioned. “Apart from tired, obviously?”

“I felt a bit sick last night. And I was really warm at the restaurant,” Ruby answered. “And I pee’d like 20 times when I got home before I went to bed, but apart from that, fine.”

“Right,” Charlie screwed her face up. “But you often pee a lot right; I mean your diabetes -”

“Yeah,” Ruby nodded. “I do feel ill though. I’m not making it up.”

“Sure you’re not just scared to go out today?” Charlie questioned. “Pretty big thing you did last night.” Charlie said and Ruby exhaled lightly. Although Charlie was hoping to talk to Ruby when she got home, she found Ruby already in bed so hadn’t had the chance yet.

“I didn’t plan it,” Ruby said. “I was just trying to get Casey off my back and it came out.”

“Well I guess it had to at one point, right?” Charlie said as she glanced up at the twins who were busy tucking into their snack before looking back to Ruby.

“I guess so,” Ruby answered. “A bit quicker than I’d first hoped really but not much I can do about it, is there?”

“Not now no,” Charlie answered. “But the most important thing is that you and April are happy. Okay, don’t freak out if anyone says anything nasty against you, alright. You and April know it’s what you want and it feels right for you, so just ignore anyone else’s opinion because I know what you can get like.”

Ruby gave a little laugh, most probably of nerves. “I’ll try. I really like April and I don’t want to hurt her.”

“I like Apil too Ruby,” Ella grinned. “She my friend.”

“Me too,” Noah gave his big sister a cheeky grin. “She pretty.”

“Yeah isn’t she,” Ruby smiled. “She’s going to be coming around tonight to help me look after you little munchkins when mummy is out at work.”

“Yey.” The twins cheered.

“So, you alright to stay with them then?” Charlie questioned. “I don’t want you to have to watch them if you are getting sick.”

“Hopefully I’ll be fine by tonight,” Ruby sighed. “But if not, as I said, April will be here. You can’t take opening night off work,” Ruby told her mother. “And no doubt Casey will be around too,” Ruby rolled her eyes. “The fun the 3 of us will have together huh?”

“I’m sure it’ll be fine,” Charlie said as she stood up and rubbed Ruby’s shoulder. “Now if you excuse me, I need to go to the bathroom.” Charlie put her hand onto her chest, swallowing as she felt a little nauseous before running from the room.

Brax looked at the photo of Katie on Heath’s phone. “She’s so cute,” Brax smiled. “I’d love to have been there eh.”

“Well why didn’t you come?” Heath said. “I thought we were all set then you randomly cancel.” Heath scrunched his face up as he moved onto the next photo.

“I had the hospital with Charlie,” Brax answered. “She eh...she’s pregnant eh.”

“Geeze you guys planning on having an army?” Heath questioned.

“What?” Brax questioned. “It’ll only be our third,” Brax said. “And technically, you have three kids too.”

“True,” Heath exhaled. “Although my boy’s not here anymore and I don’t ever see Darcy giving she lives in New Zealand now and I’ve only just found out about Katie.”

“Well yeah but still three kids is three kids,” Brax said. “At least mines are with the same woman.”

“Bro,” Heath exhaled sounding offended. “It’s not my fault. None of these kids were actually planned. The only woman I want to have kids with....we’ll I’m not sure she wants anymore.”

“She might one day eh,” Brax said. “Losing Rocco must have been huge and she’ll just be struggling with the idea of another child right now. Her not wanting to be involved with Katie proves that.”

“Yeah,” Heath sighed as he sat back in the couch, resting his head against the back cushion. “I hope so. I’d love for us to be a family eh, and a kid could do that for us.”

“Well you guys are still young enough to leave it a few years,” Brax told his brother. “Just concentrate on not messing this up. You’ve got a good thing with Bianca; don’t ruin it by getting greedy. Especially when you have Katie.”

“I know,” Heath exhaled. “So anyways, how’s it going with you and Charlie? She’s pregnant with your kid so surely now she should let you move home, nah?”

“I guess it’s not as simple as that,” Brax sighed. “A baby isn’t going to bring trust back, is it?” Brax questioned. “I’m just going to have to show her how much I love her and prove I’m going to stay faithful and we did have a little pash last night at the restaurant, you know, so, it’s looking better.”

“Nice,” Heath smiled. “That after Rubes came out the closest bringing April with her?” Heath gave a little laugh. “I can’t believe your step-daughter is a queer.”

“Hey,” Brax sounded offended. “It’s lesbian or gay alright.” Brax said. He loved Ruby very much and didn’t want anyone talking badly of her.

“Sure.” Heath rolled his eyes.

“And she didn’t really bring April out with her, most people knew about her eh,” Brax said. “And what does it matter to you if they are?” Brax questioned. “They’re just kids.”

“Still,” Heath screwed his face up. “Not right is it?”

“Says who?” Brax questioned. “Is it harming you that they’re together?”

“Well no but....” Heath trailed off. “Still it’s weird wanting to be with another girl.” Heath screwed his face up once again.

“Well I guess you can have your opinion,” Brax exhaled. “But Ruby is struggling enough with this as it is so keep your opinions to yourself around her eh,” Brax said as her patted Heath’s shoulder as he stood up. “I’m going to see Charlie and the twins. See you at work tonight eh,” Brax looked down to his brother. “Don’t be late and be nice to Charlie.”

“Aren’t I always?” Heath grinned and Brax shook his head lightly at his brother before leaving the house.

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 49

Brax walked into the open door of the house shouting out for his wife. “Daddy.” Ella ran over to him and Brax lifted her up into his arms.

“Hey petal,” Brax placed a kiss on his daughters temple. “Where’s mummy?” Brax put Ella down and she picked up Rosie ragdoll from the floor before running back over to her brother who was running around with his arms out to the side making airplane noises, despite the fact he was holding his Thomas train in his hand.

“Bleugh.” Ella made a noise like she was being sick as she ran around behind her brother. Brax looked to the kids before walking along the hall and into their bedroom, before going through to their en-suite, walking over to Charlie as she threw up in the toilet.

“Hey baby you okay?” Brax questioned as he bent down behind her and held her hair back before hearing Charlie throw up again.

“How do I....” Charlie paused as she gagged. “Look?” Charlie swallowed as she flushed the toilet and pulled some toilet paper from the holder and wiped it across her mouth.

“Sorry,” Brax said softly as Charlie sat back, leaning against the wall. “This been going on long?”

“Just started this morning,” Charlie answered. “Did eh....what did you come around for?” Charlie questioned before she put her hand onto her chest and swallowed as she felt a little wave of nausea hit her again.

“I just thought we could hang out for a while,” Brax answered. “But if you want me to go I can.”

“No, it’s fine,” Charlie answered. “But I eh...I think I’m going to have a little lie down. Try and rest so I feel better for opening tonight.”

“Right sure,” Brax nodded. “You want me to take the kids out then?”

“Yeah that would be good, thanks,” Charlie smiled. “I’m sure they’d love that.”

“And if you are too sick then don’t come in to work tonight.” Brax told her. Of course he’d be sad not to spend time with her, but if she was sick, he’d rather she rested.

“I want too,” Charlie answered. “It’s my first proper night and we’re set to be really busy,” Charlie said. “Besides, I’m looking forward to being able to tell Heath what to do.” Charlie gave a little laugh.

“Be nice.” Brax said.

“I always am,” Charlie answered. “Your brother is the one with the problem.”

“It’s the uniform eh.” Brax said.

“I’m not a police officer anymore,” Charlie answered. “He just needs to grow up.”

“Not going to argue,” Brax murmured as the twins came running into the room. “Hey trouble.” Brax smiled as Ella sat down on his knee, patting Rosie’s hair as she cuddled her close to her.

“I’m not trouble,” Ella shook her head. “Whoopsie is.” Ella pointed to her mum’s stomach.

“No Ella you wrong,” Noah shouted, although there was no need for this as he was standing right next to her. “Brother buttons him name.”

“No,” Ella screeched. “She be whoopsie.” Ella stood up from Brax’s knee and ran over to Charlie, sitting down next to her. Charlie gave a little smile as she ran her hand through her daughter’s hair.

“Stop calling the baby whoopsie, petal,” Charlie said. “It’s not nice.”

“Is,” Ella nodded. “It’s whoopsie.” Ella said as she punched her hand against Charlie’s stomach.

“Ella,” Brax yelled, causing Ella to jump in fright as Charlie pushed her hand away. “Don’t you dare punch mummy like that.”

“No punch mummy,” Ella shook her head as she looked to Brax with puppy dog eyes. “Whoopsie.”

“Ella Mae Braxton,” Brax raised his voice at his daughter. “You are not to do that ever again.”

“Yes,” Ella squealed. “Whoopsie stupid. “Ella cried before she ran out of the room.

“Oh she too naughty,” Noah bent down in front of Charlie as Brax walked out after Ella. “Brother buttons is good.” Noah gently patted Charlie tummy. “He nice, ay mummy?”

“Of course,” Charlie smiled. “But remember we told you, it might not be a boy, okay?”

“No,” Noah shook his head. “He only to be a boy,” Noah said. “He is mummy. Not a girl. Not a girl okay?” Charlie exhaled as she wrapped her arms around her son. She placed a soft kiss on his forehead as she heard Ella giggling defiantly as Brax muttered something she couldn’t quite make out. Charlie knew Ella was only playing up because of the terrible two’s stage, and hoped once that passed she’d come around to the idea of a sibling and the fact that Charlie and Brax were living separately at the moment probably wouldn’t help either. But at least for now Noah was halfway there. He sure would be happy if he got a little brother, but if a girl was brought into this world it might be a different story. She sighed lightly as she stood up, lifting Noah up with her and going out to help Brax with Ella.

Ruby took a drink of the smoothie. “Thanks, I was so dry.” Ruby smiled at her girlfriend. She looked around the surf club and saw a few people who were staring and whispering but she took a deep breath and looked back to April, trying to keep what Charlie had told her in her mind. The most important thing is that you and April are happy.

“You alright?” April questioned. “You’re not looking great.”

“Gee thanks.” Ruby sighed.

“Well no I mean you’re still completely hot, but, you know, you don’t look 100 per cent.” April said sounding a little concerned for her.

“I don’t feel great to be honest,” Ruby answered. “Just my luck huh? The holidays start then I get sick.”

“Hopefully it passes,” April said. “And if not nurse April will be around to help.” April raised her eyebrows before taking a drink of her smoothie.

“Nurse April huh?” Ruby questioned. “Might milk this for all it’s worth then.” Ruby grinned and April laughed a little as she lightly nudged Ruby’s arm. They both looked into each other’s eyes and smiled, almost leaning in for a kiss but stopping as April heard her name being called.

“Dex,” April smiled at him. “How’s it going?”

“Alright,” Dex said as he sat down at the table with them. “How are you Rubes, you look ruff.”

“Thanks,” Ruby said. “But yeah, I don’t feel too well today.”

“Ahh sucks,” Dex exhaled. “Hopefully you are better soon.”

“Yeah, I know,” Ruby said. “So, what you up to today?”

“Not much,” Dex shook his head. “Just had some grief from Heath though,” Dexter sighed. “You know for turning April gay.”

“You didn’t turn me gay,” April sighed. “Heath is just -”

“I know,” Dex nodded. “If anything people should be thinking you pulled Ruby over to your side,” Dex gave a little laugh but stopped as Ruby glared at him. “I know she didn’t...at least, I don’t think she pounced on you....I hope she didn’t.”

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “It just kinda happened.”

Dex gave a little smile. “She’s a good pash though eh?” Dex grinned as he pointed to April.

April looked embarrassed as Ruby gave a little laugh. “Ah Dex if only everyone could be like you and eh...yeah, she’s eh, good stuff.” Ruby looked at April and raised her eyebrows.

“So, which one of you is the butch one then?” Dex questioned.

“Excuse me?” Ruby screwed her face up at him.

“You know,” Dex questioned. “There’s always a butch one, right?” Dex said. “Which one of you is going to start wearing boyish clothes and cut your hair short, get into sports, wear less make-up...”

“Dex,” April laughed. “You’re so stereotypical.”

“Well you know,” Dex gave a little shrug. “Just wondering....you never know.”

“Well in that case, Rubes likes to surf so she can be the butch one.” April gave Ruby a cheeky grin.

“Hey,” Ruby gasped. “Just because I surf? What about the fact that you....you...your into your biology and chemistry and stuff.”

“Yeah that doesn’t make me butch it makes me -”

“A geek,” Dex interrupted and April glared at him. “Hey, I am too. I enjoy that stuff too.”

“Yeah well, you won’t be calling me a geek when I am a doctor and bringing all the cash home.” April grinned as she looked back to Ruby.

“Mmm you’ll just be my geek with money,” Ruby teased but April just huffed. “Aww babe I’m just kidding, I don’t think you are a geek.”

“I know,” April gave a little laugh. “Now, how about we show Dex how butch we can be by taking him down at pool?” April pointed over to the pool table that was now free from them to play on.

“Ha, doesn’t take a butch lesbian to do that,” Ruby laughed. “Ella could probably beat him.”

“I’d like to sound offended but I fear she is speaking the truth.” Dex said as he followed them over to the pool table and watched as Ruby racked the balls up. April laughed as she got the pool cues and passed one to Dex before they began playing the game.

Thanks for all the comments.

Chapter 50

Charlie pursed her lips together as she picked the plates up from the worktop, ready to take them out to the guests. As she got a whiff of something from the plate and tried to hold back a gag, but Brax noticed this and walked over to her, taking the plates from her and handing them to another waiter, telling her to take them out to the table. “You alright?” Brax questioned as he looked up at her, her hand over her mouth.

“It was just the smell of the fish,” Charlie answered. “It’s always fish. I was the same with Rubes and the twins.”

“Well how about we send you home for tonight?” Brax questioned. “We can’t have a waitress gagging over the food now can we?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “But I am not going home,” Charlie answered. “I just need to stay away from the food side of things,” Charlie told him. “Or at least tables who are ordering the fish.”

Brax gave a little laugh. “How about we get you trained on the bar side of things first then?” Brax questioned.

Charlie gave a little groan. “Is he going to have to be my teacher?” Charlie questioned, referring to Heath.

Brax once again gave a little laugh. “Afraid so,” Brax said. “But hey, it could help you two bond.”

Charlie scrunched her face up. “I’d rather you just showed me everything.” Brax gave a little, not going to pass at time with Charlie.

“We’ll put Heath on waitressing then,” Brax said as they walked out of the kitchen and over to the bar where Heath was putting two bottles of beer onto a tray before a waiter took it away and over to the table they were for. “Alright bro?”

“Fine,” Heath answered. “What’s up?”

“I’m going to train Charlie on bar so you’ll be a waiter tonight eh.” Brax told him and Heath frowned, looking unimpressed with his brother.

“I’m fine on the bar eh.” Heath answered as he looked to the next order of drinks and pulled a couple of glass down from the shelf before putting ice into them.

“Heath,” Brax spoke authoritatively. “I’m not asking you, I am telling you. Go.” Brax gestured for him to go through to the kitchen. He sighed as he put the glasses down on the bar before walking away.

“Right, well,” Brax and Charlie walked behind the bar and Brax gazed down at the first drinks order. “We need two diet cokes and two glasses of merlot,” Brax said. Charlie gave a little nod before she opened the fridge and took out two little bottles of diet coke and picked up the bottle opener and took the caps off before putting the bottles onto the tray next to the glasses. Brax watched as she found the bottle of merlot and poured two glasses before putting them down onto the tray, just as the waiter came over to take the drinks away. “So, this seems pretty easy. Don’t know why Heath moans.”

“Wait till we are busy,” Brax told her. “You’ll hardly get a break, I’m telling you now.” Brax said as another drinks order came their way. Charlie walked over and read it out loud.

“A gin and tonic, a peroni, a glass of pinot grigio and a sex on the beach.” Charlie screwed her face up. “Sex on the beach. How do I do that?”

“Well why don’t you come down there with me after work and I’ll show you.” Brax gave a cheeky grin.

“Oi.” Charlie hit his chest.

“It’s a cocktail.” Brax told her.

“Well I know that,” Charlie rolled her eyes. “What’s in it?” Charlie questioned.

Brax leaned under the bar and pulled out a folder that looked relatively bulky. Charlie widened her eyes at the size of it. “This is going to be your Bible for the next while,” Brax told her. “It tells you how to make all the cocktails,” Brax opened it up and looked through it until he came to a sex on the beach. “The first 6 are the most common ones we get asked for but it’s worth knowing the lot just in case eh.”

“You want me to remember them all?” Charlie scrunched her face up as she pointed to the folder.

“Yeah, a little bit bed time reading for a while,” Brax laughed. “You’ll learn,” Brax pulled the cocktail shaker from the shelf and filled it with ice. “C’mon, get the drinks we need,” Brax said. “I’ll show you all my mean cocktail making moves.” Brax gave a little laugh as Charlie read the recipe before she passed him the vodka and peach schnapps before reaching for the orange juice and the cranberry juice. “Still think this is going to be easy?” Brax laughed as he put the vodka and peach schnapps into the shaker at the same time.

“Shut up and show me what to do.” Charlie said before she watched her husband making the cocktail.

Ruby and April were at Ruby’s house, looking after the twins while Charlie was at work. Much to the relief of Ruby, Casey had gone out to see some friends. Ruby watched as the twins sat on the floor at the coffee table and coloured some pictures. “Right, 5 more minutes then its bedtime, okay?”

“No Ruby,” Ella was quick to object, like always. “I not finished.” Ella put the yellow crayon down and picked up a blue one and continued to colour.

“Well you have 5 more minutes, okay?” Ruby said and Ella scrunched her face up as she continued with her picture.

“Look at mines Apil.” Noah stood up from the floor and picked his picture up and ran over to the couch, pushing himself up and sitting as close to April as he could get without actually sitting on her knee.

April looked down to the picture and gave a little smile. Seeing the red, blue, green and orange scribbles over the picture of the dog and his bone that had been ripped out the colouring book. “Ah wow, Noah you did a good job.”

“It for you,” Noah gave her a toothy grin. “Cos you pretty.”

“Aww thanks buddy.” April ran her hand over his hair.

“You keep it forevers?” Noah said. “You too, okay?”

“I will,” April smiled as she looked down to the picture once again. “I’ll have to put it up on my bedroom wall when I get home, won’t I?”

“Yeah,” Noah replied. “Apil do you like Thomas?” Noah pointed to his pyjama top, where a picture of Thomas the tank engine was.

“Oh yeah,” April answered. “He’s the coolest.”

“You see my bed cover,” Noah jumped down from the couch and held his hand out. “Come Apil, come.” Noah gave a little jump and April looked to Ruby who was giving her a grin, before she stood to her feet, placing the picture down on the couch and taking Noah’s hand, walking through to his bedroom with him to see his Thomas the tank engine bed covers.

“Right missus,” Ruby stood up from the couch and looked down to Ella. “Bedtime.”

“No no,” Ella shook her head. “I draws.”

“You can draw more in the morning,” Ruby said. “It’s bedtime for little girls.” Ruby lifted Ella up from sitting. Ella sighed as she hit her hand against her picture.

“This to mummy okay?” Ella looked up to her sister. “To mummy, Ruby, okay. My mummy.” Ella hit her index finger against her chest.

“Okay I’ll make sure mummy gets it,” Ruby took Ella’s hand and walked down the hall and into the bathroom with her. “Noah come clean your teeth,” Ruby shouted and Noah came running through to the bathroom with April following behind him.

“Apil you help me.” Noah said as he took his toothbrush from Ruby, looking down to see the toothpaste already sitting there, waiting for him to clean his teeth.

“Can he do it himself?” April questioned as she bent down to Noah’s level.

“Uhh,” Ruby screwed her nose up. “They’re starting too but they don’t do it that well so I’d do it for him.” Ruby told her and April nodded before taking the brush into her hand.

“Look Apil it’s Thomas on my brush.” Noah’s voice went high and squeaky as he pointed to it.

“So I see,” April smiled down at the boy’s excitement. “You really love Thomas huh?”

“Yup.” Noah gave a few jumps before he opened his mouth to allow April to clean his teeth.

“Right Ella, come here,” Ruby reached forward to grab her little sister as she tried to make her escape. “You need to brush your teeth.”

“No Ruby,” Ella shook her head. “I did,” Ella gave a nod. “Mummy in the morning.”

“Yes but you need to clean them before bed too,” Ruby said. “C’mon we’ll do this then April will read you two a story.”

“Yey,” Ella gave a little jump. “You will, Apil?”

“Sure I can,” April replied as she continued to brush Noah’s teeth. “But you need to get your teeth nice and clean first.”

“Okays,” Ella sighed as she pushed her hair from her face before looking back to Ruby and opening her mouth so Ruby could brush her teeth for her. Once finished both kids spit in the sink before they ran through to their bedroom and settled themselves in their beds, Noah hugging Ruby the shark close to him, while Ella had Rosie ragdoll.

“Goodnight munchkins,” Ruby gave Noah a kiss and cuddle before doing the same with Ella. She looked to April and gave her a smile as April picked up a book from the shelf to read to the twins. “See you soon, Apil.” Ruby raised her eyebrows at her girlfriend as April gave a little laugh before Ruby left the room, allowing April to read the twins a story. Ruby sat down on the couch and exhaled as she rubbed her side, feeling a little pain. She took a deep breath and exhaled, before lying back and continued to rub her side, hoping that the pain wasn’t anything to serious and that it would soon go away.

Archived