Luke Mitchell (spoiler)

Guest lozlovesh&a

Home And Away star Luke Mitchell, 27, has landed a key role in US drama, Tomorrow People.

Just three weeks after relocating from Australia to try his luck in Hollywood, the newlywed has scored the role of John Young, a member of a new species dubbed the “Tomorrow People”, in the drama.

Based on the series created by Roger Price, which aired in the UK in the 1970s, the sci-fi program revolves around several young people from around the world who represent the next stage in human evolution, possessing special powers, including the ability to teleport and communicate with each other telepathically.

Described as “dark, handsome and cool under pressure”, John’s special ability is teleportation.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/tv-week/news-luke-mitchells-new-overseas-role/10151521554850820

Good on him!

As a fan of the original Tomorrow People, and not a fan of Luke Mitchell's acting, my thought when seeing this was "Oh dear."The idea of an American remake of The Tomorrow People was already pretty disturbing and now they seem to have cast a lead actor who's hardly the world's greatest actor but is good looking.So I guess they're following in the tradition of the '70s version.Maybe I'm being harsh, maybe he'll be okay in it:I remember people reacting with horror when Kristian Schmidt was cast as the lead in the '90s revival and he turned out to be not too bad.Noticed in a separate article that Peyton List has been cast as the female lead, so from a shallow perspective at least casting good-looking people works both ways...

hmmm don't know about the original version of this movie, but I really don't like Luke Mitchell's acting and I am suprised that he already has gotten a role in the US. I don't think he is that hunky either he doesn't have the charisma Lincoln Lewis or Todd Lasance had and I would have been more pleasantly suprised if this was about one of those two... And Luke Mitchell is miles away from being like Ryan kwanten or Chris Hemsworth... He is one of the worst actors H&A ever has had in my opinion.... (when we count adult actors).

It feels a bit unfair, when we think of better actors who don't get a job over there...

• 2 months later...

hmmm don't know about the original version of this movie, but I really don't like Luke Mitchell's acting and I am suprised that he already has gotten a role in the US. I don't think he is that hunky either he doesn't have the charisma Lincoln Lewis or Todd Lasance had and I would have been more pleasantly suprised if this was about one of those two... And Luke Mitchell is miles away from being like Ryan kwanten or Chris Hemsworth... He is one of the worst actors H&A ever has had in my opinion.... (when we count adult actors).

It feels a bit unfair, when we think of better actors who don't get a job over there...

While I'm happy that Luke Mitchell (or any Aussie soapie for that matter) has found work in the USA, I have to echo jodiebirger's statements here. But I'm going to take the stance that the network that a lot of these Australian actors are signing on with is merely the American version of "Home And Away" which is a network where you don't necessarily need a great deal of acting ability to secure a job and a network from what everything that I've seen has not developed one legitimate star in it's now seven year existence.

For those of you who might not be aware the CW is the red headed stepchild so to speak of the popular WB network which in the mid-late nineties seemed to have a bit of a midus touch going developing series such as "Buffy The Vampire Slayer", "Dawson's Creek" and "7th Heaven". All of those shows were wildly popular in their day and actually did spin off several legitimate stars most notably Sarah Michelle Gellar, Jessica Biel and Joshua Jackson. When the WB folded and the CW took it's place new shows aimed at the same demographic (pre-teens-teens) continued to be churned out but most (if not all) despite developing a cult following have been judged not to be on the level of their predecessors. For example right now on the CW there isn't anything on the level of a "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" to be found.

Most interestingly is the the fact that CW has yet to develop one legitimate star through it's programming. The closest they've come is helping to elevate Blake Lively's career with their "Gossip Girl" series but it's important to remember that Lively prior to signing with the CW produced show, already was somewhat established through "The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants" franchise. Aside from Lively, shows like "90210", "The Vampire Diaries" or any of their other fare have yet to spin off any stars at all while the network's closest rival ABC FAMILY has already made both Lucy Hale and Ashley Benson extremely visable if not marketable with both girls now endorsing products and Benson having a recent feature film "Spring Breakers" draw positive reviews at the box office.

Are any of the actors right now on the CW, in particular the ex Aussie soapies anywhere near the point where they would be getting offers for product endorsements? Can anyone realistically see the day where any of the actors on any of the CW developed shows (in particular the three Julie Plec series) are carrying films or series of their own? It seems to me that the actors both Australian and American who find the most success early on in their careers are the ones who avoid the boneyard that has become the CW. For example one rumor that I've heard many times over now is that Isabel Lucas was originally offered the lead role in "The Vampire Diaries" (which eventually went to Nina Dobrev) but turned it down. Isabel Lucas as of this moment has already featured in many supporting roles in successful box office films and is filming one of her first mainstream starring roles in a psychological thriller entitled "Careful What You Wish For". Although she has not achieved mainstream stardom as of yet, you'd be hard pressed to argue against that she is worlds ahead of anyone right now plying their trade for the CW.

Another interesting case is that of American actress Zoey Deutch who was featured in the 2012 CW series "Ringer" which was cancelled after one season. It just may turn out that the fact that the CW show she was on being cancelled was one of the best things that could've happened to Deutch. It freed her of her contractual obligations to the network and allowed her to audition for and win the lead role in the highly anticipated film "Vampire Academy". With the success of her other recent film, "Beautiful Creatures" I'd add Deutch to the short list of in demand young actors that already includes Hale and Benson that probably have the best shot of translating their current success into something bigger.

The point of all this is pretty basic: While I wish Luke Mitchell or anyone from Australia attempting to make a go of it over in America, getting signed to a show on the CW shouldn't necessarily equate to finding success. As I stressed in another thread while the UK and Australian actors featured on these shows are probably making substansially more money than they would plying their trade in Australia they are essentially doing the same work they were doing in Australia now that they are in the United States. One irony in that is that the Australian television industry can actually lay claim to developing and spinning off talent of it's own, something that the CW Network has amazingly yet to be able to lay claim to.

Archived