The longevity of the show

Guest j.laur5

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think H&A started to build on its current status in about 2006 when there was an increase in violence and crime related stories. In 2003 H&A was a tad more realistic and a lot calmer than 2014. Cameron Welsh started to bring a much darker edge to the show which I admit I am fed up of now, they need to tone it down at least but not give it up altogether. Lucy and Louise seem to have continued Cazza Welsh's method.

But as said the show has done something to have survived for 26 years on screen so far and counting. It has changed a lot of its original format I think but I still stick to my opinion that it has not shed its original basis completely and I will not pander to opinions who try and get me to say otherwise like I dont expect people to pander to mine. With H&A I weigh out the positives of the show and the negatives.

I can see it reaching 30 and perhaps its 35th anniversary.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think five years, why? Ray is getting on in life, so is Irene, so, in more than 20 year, there will be no originals, so why keep the show running, like the Simpsons and SpongeBob SquarePants, the show, seems to have declined in quality (my opinion).

I think Ray could be on the show for another 6-8 years at least in my view. Beyond that I'm not sure.

If Lynne wants to stick around then she could be still on the show for another 10 years in my view.

Besides I have a feeling that if the likes of Leah and John stick around along with Roo and Marilyn they could be the new long-term cast members that the show needs. There's too much of a gap between Leah (first appeared in 2000) and John (first appeared in 2009) who have been the longest characters besides Alf, Roo, Marilyn and Irene so we're in need for more long-term cast members because it allows us that familiarity and continuity that the show is craving for.

Roo should stay for a long time even when Alf leaves, we can't have Summer Bay without a Stewart.

I'd also like to bring back Duncan who also got married off-screen in New York back in 2009 so he may have young children now which can keep the Stewart legacy thriving in Summer Bay.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived