When did H&A start filming in HD?

Guest Light of the Bay

I was just curious as to when the show converted to filming in High Definition, I'm assuming it was around 2005? I would just like to know the exact year if anyone knows. The way it is filmed now seems as though it is more advanced than HD which is a little weird. I liked the way it was filmed in 2004, it's too bright now, although people seem to like it.

The first episode in HD was Episode 3561 in July 2003 - it's still HD now (can't broadcast anything higher than that at the moment) but with more advanced production values.

Personally I find that, production-wise, it's the best it's ever been - the studio lighting is far more realistic and akin to actually filming on location (the overblown light from outdoors etc.). But that's just me speaking as someone in the industry behind the camera.

Yeah the show looks absolutely brilliant these days. As you say LaMurray123 these changes never appear to have much effect until you re-watch older episodes.

In late 2009 the lighting started to become far more realistic, as I believe some of the production team from All Saints were reassigned after it went off the air. Looking back at studio scenes early-mid 2009 I can't believe how fake it looks, although at the time I thought the production values were great!

I wonder what the next move will be?!

I've no idea what it was actually broadcast at (any downconverting varies from country to country anyway) but they were certainly filming at full 1080 25p resolution from 2003.

Though there was actually a few months beforehand where they were using the new cameras but only outputting in SD in order to get used to the cameras (the transition took a few months of training).

• 9 months later...

I'm not sure if this is the right topic to bump but basically I'm doing a report at college and I've chosen the show I love as my topic. My assignment is to contain several sub-topics and for one of them I've decided to talk about the filming of the show.

I already have a basic knowledge of how it's fimed but I don't really know any details or the technical side of things. It was broadcast in video (PAL) until July 2003 (as is mentioned in this thread) when it was upgraded to HD filming. I was hoping that someone on the forum could give me any more detials on the history of filming?

I'd appreciate any help you may have. :)

They went from filming 4:3 ratio (the box/square format) to widescreen 16:9 ratio at the start of 2001. Also, I don't know for sure but it is my observation that they went from shooting analogue video tape to digital video tape (if that's even possible?) - because the camera definitely took on a more plastic/digital look during 2000. Perhaps they were shooting with the widescreen cameras during that year, like in preparation for HD, to get used to it, but output was 4:3 until 2001.

Also there seems to have been a couple of changes to the 'look' of the show over the years. I think the most noticeable difference for me is the 1989-1990 upgrade. I don't really know how you would phrase that change, other than an upgrade in clarity and lighting techniques, but it different went from looking like an 80's show to a 90's show over night. There was also a change and more 'American' look/motion going on in 1997/1998 Imo.

Archived