Sweet Misery

Guest Chax47

:o cannot believe you ended it there, OMD can't believe he actually proposed

Plz I hope Charlie says no, but I have an awful feeling she won't

Chax Need to be together and as much as I feel for Angelo I still want Chax, Love their friendship :wub:, its nice to see how their friendship as contributed to their growing feeling. Probably not the first time saying this but plz update soon, don't think I can wait to long to find out what her responce is, poor Brax he must be so shocked and gutted :(

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing writing! Loving the interaction between Brax and Charlie and how she is drawn to him and he is obviously smitten with her. Bet Charlie wasn't expecting the proposal and eager to find out what happens...bless Angelo but Chax all the way :wub:

Thanks and excited for more - really enjoying this :D

REALLY enjoyed that, especially ......

 Getting jealous because he talks to another woman? Thinking about him constantly? Something just isn't right...She knew she would have to make a decision, the question was which way would it go?

 Leah couldn't help but laugh as Ruby shrugged, her cheeks colouring slightly.

 Charlie consider that question; a question that had many answers. Confused, excited, upset, tempted. The list of words she could choice to describe her current state went on and on.

 "See, I'm a horrible person. I have this amazing boyfriend, and here I am thinking about another man!"

 But honey, you need to stop being so harsh on yourself."

"So I'm not a horrible person?"

Leah laughed lightly as a smile stayed on her face. "No, Charlie. You're just human!"

 "It's not Brax, don't worry." She reassured her friend with a smile.

"Why would I be worried? Brax can meet or text who he wants..." It came out slightly more defensive than she planned which shocked Bianca.

"No I know. I'm a little embarrassed about that actually, if I had known I wouldn't have tried to come on to hi..."

Charlie immediately cut her off, sitting up to face her. "Known what?"

"That he's into you!" Bianca shrugged, her nonchalant tone reaking havoc with Charlie's mind.

"What? No he's not!"

Bianca laughed but Charlie failed to see the humour. She frowned at her best friend. "Come on Charlie, I know I was drunk but it doesn't take a genius to figure it out. As soon as you left he was scanning the room for you. I was using some of my best lines and all I got in return was 'where is Charlie?' 'Do you know where she is?' 'Is she ok?'" She did her best to mimic Brax's voice which earned her a small laugh from Charlie. "It was a little annoying at first but he cares about you."

Charlie tried to hide her smile before scoulding herself. No! I need to stay focused.

 Laughing to herself, she waited for him to resurface but after a few moments she was alone in the water. Feeling a sudden moment of panic, her eyes scanned the water for him.

"Brax?" She called out, and spun around just in time for him to appear behind her, a huge smile on his face.

She slapped his arm hard. "Do not do that to me! I thought you'd drowned!"

"Well then you shouldn't have tried to splash me..." He replied smugly, which earned him another splashing

 "Hey, I forgot to mention to you. Angelo and Leah are throwing me a birthday party this weekend at the restaurant. Nothing fancy, just a couple of friends...a lot of alcohol. I'd love for you to come?" She smiled nervously at him while she waited for his answer.

"Does Angelo know you're asking me?"

She raised her eyebrow at his question and shrugged. "No but I'm in charge of the guest list...and I'd really like for you to be there?"

Again, why can I not say no to her....

 "Relax. She's going to love it." He patted Angelo on the back as he made his way out of the restaurant. "I'll see you tonight."

Angelo looked up from his list and frowned. "What?"

Brax froze in the doorway and spun around. "At the party?"

"You're coming?"

Brax couldn't help but smile at the look of shock which was all over Angelo's face. "Yeah I was invited."

Angelo scoffed. "Of course you were..." He groaned as he ignored his business partner and went back to his list.

 "Oh my God, Charlie! You look stunning!" Bianca embraced her friend before checking out the birthday girl's outfit choice. She had opted for a white, figure hugging dress which complemented the tan she had gained earlier on in the week. Her hair fell in curls around her shoulders; her make up flawless.

 He kissed her bare shoulder but Charlie was too busy scanning the room.

 "I'm ready for my birthday dance now!" She took another swig of the drink, feeling the bubbles slowly going to her head as she held out her hand to him.

"Birthday dance?"

"Yeah. You promised..." She teased, trailing off as she took another step towards the dance floor.

"What? When?" He couldn't help the laughter that was building up inside of him as she quickly fumbled to think of an answer.

"I don't know. But I'm sure you should have promised me a dance. So, come on!"

 "Well don't tell anybody, but I think you might be my only best friend..." He replied with a wink which made her smile. She moved and rested her head lightly on his shoulder, relishing in the closeness that the dance allowed them to have.

 "So, did you not bring a date tonight?" Here I go again. Playing. Fire.

 Again, he laughed. "Just because I don't have a date or a girlfriend, doesn't mean that I don't have that one special woman in my life." He paused as he looked over the table at her, holding her gaze. "I have you."

She wasn't entirely sure what happened to her in that moment but she found it hard to locate any normal sense of feeling inside. Her heart pounded in her chest as her stomach became light and fluffy. His smile never faded. Leaning on the table, she tilted her head to one side as she gazed back at him, tears threatening to escape her eyes.

"Brax, I..." She spoke softly but was quickly interrupted by the sound of a glass being clinked inside the restaurant.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Angelo's voice echoed across the room. Their eyes remained connected. "I would like to take this opportunity to make a toast to the birthday girl. Where is she?"

Ruby quickly ran out onto the patio and grabbed Charlie, dragging her inside. Brax followed, but remained at the back of the room.

Angelo's face lit up as Charlie walked into the room. "Argh, her she is!"

 "Charlie Buckton...Will you please do me the honor of being my wife?"

Everybody gasped.

If she says yes to Angelo's proposal I may cry no scratch that I will cry and shout angry things at my computer screen :(That is NOT a good place for me to be in :P

However I love the friendship between Chax it's freaking awesome :) but I want them to be together :wub: Even a drunk Bianca picked up on it!

Update soon please xx

Hey guys!!

I am so sorry for the delay on getting this chapter to you (it only added to the suspense though, right?!! :lol: ) I will leave you waiting so long for the next chapter, and I'm working on the other story as we speak :)

Thank you for the amazing reviews, makes my day!!

Enjoy....

Chapter 8

"I...er..." Charlie's voice caught in her throat, but the words that managed to escape were barely audible. Her hand flew up to her chest, resting on the pendant that Brax had given her only minutes before. Angelo's face beamed up at her, his smile both hopeful and expectant. She could feel everyone's eyes glued to her, waiting for a response that she wasn't entirely sure would ever come.

"Charlie?" Angelo questioned as he studied her face, which still looked in a state of shock.

"Oh my God."

Someone whispered excitedly behind her. She wasn't quite sure who had said it, maybe Leah, maybe Bianca.

"Will you marry me?" He asked again, just to make sure that there was no doubt that she hadn't heard him.

The longer she remained silent, the longer she had to stare down at the face gazing up at her. The longer that she allowed the excited atmosphere build up around her. She wasn't quite sure where the words came from, but she found herself saying them all the same.

"Yes."

The minute the words left her mouth she wished that she could take them back. However the blur of events which took over the next five minutes made that almost impossible. Angelo jumped up from his knees and scooped her into a huge hug, swinging her around before placing her back on the ground. Applause and cheers filled the room as everyone began to celebrate the news.

Her friends couldn't wait to congratulate her and Charlie found herself quickly guided around the room with Angelo holding tightly onto her waist. She tried to ignore the numb feeling that had taken over her as her heart beat faster in her chest. The realisation of what had just occured hit her and she quickly scanned the room but he was no where to be found.

"Hey, mind if I steal her for a minute?" Leah approached the couple and Angelo smiled as he let go of Charlie, and walked over to the bar to get another drink.

Leah wore the same ecstatic expression as most people in the room, although her eyes were full of curious concern.

"So...when I told you that you had a couple of options, I didn't realise that this was one of them?" She asked, while she smiled nervously, waiting for Charlie's reaction.

Charlie sighed as she forced a smile onto her face; something which she was now becoming good at. People were still looking over in her direction and the last thing she wanted to do was to arouse suspicion. "Did you know he was going to do that?"

"No I was just as surprised as you...although judging by the look on your face, it wasn't a surprise you were expecting?"

Charlie's eyes scanned the room for a second time but she didn't find what she was looking for. "I was just so caught off guard. I couldn't do that to him, not with all these people standing there, watching us. Waiting. God, the look on his face." She rubbed her forehead as she went over the past couple of minutes in her head. She could feel the tears threatening to escape but she willed them not to fall. "Where is he?"

"Who?"

Before Charlie had a chance to answer, Ruby came running over, closely followed by Casey. Ruby grabbed her mother and pulled her into a huge hug as she squealed.

"I am so happy for you! Congratulations."

They broke apart and Charlie's attention fell on Casey. "Casey, where is Brax?" She tried to keep her voice calm but she couldn't help the panic which laced her voice.

Casey shrugged. "He left a couple of minutes ago."

Charlie's face fell. "Where did he go?" She emphasised every word as she stared at him, not minding how desperate she now sounded.

"Charlie..." Leah spoke softly, touching Charlie's arm but Charlie shrugged out of her grasp.

"I don't know. He just said that he had to go..." Casey looked at Ruby who was wearing the same blank expression that he was.

"I have to go..." Her mind raced as she tried to figure a way out of the situation she had gotten herself into.

"What? But it's your party."

Charlie ignored Ruby's statement as she turned back to Leah. "Can you cover for me? I won't be gone long." She waited for Leah to nod before making her way through the crowds and quickly walking out of the restaurant.

"Ok....what the hell was that?" Ruby watched her go before looking back at Leah for an answer.

"I think that was your mother realising that she said yes to the wrong man."

Ruby stared at Leah for a moment as the meanings of Leah's words hit her. "Oh..."

-----

Charlie ran out of the restaurant before she realised that she had absolutely no idea where to look first. She had tried calling his phone but it went straight to the voicemail. Leaving a message for him to call her as soon as he got the message, she made her way down to the beach figuring that she would start there.

She tried to call him again as she removed her heels and started jogging down the path towards the beach. Her eyes searched the deserted beach before she caught sight of a figure walking in the opposite direction.

"Brax?" She shouted. She wasn't entirely sure but she thought that the figure started to walk a little faster at the sound of her voice.

Sighing, she ran after him, calling for him to stop which he eventually did.

"Hey...where are you going?" She was slightly breathless as she caught up with him. He turned around, his face blank.

"Home."

"You just take off now without saying goodbye?" She tried to smile at him but he refused to return her smile.

"I didn't want to get in the way of the celebrations." His voice was dripping with sarcasm. "You should get back to your party before your fiance wonders where you are." He sighed as he tore his eyes away from her and started to walk away again.

Charlie watched as the distance between them grew. The knot in her stomach tightened.

"Brax!" He stopped again but kept his back to her. "Is there...is there a reason why I shouldn't marry Angelo?" Her voice cracked slightly as tears formed in her eyes. He spun around and walked back towards her, the coldness on his face not easing up. He remained silent so she spoke again.

"Well? Can you give me any reason?"

The question lingered painfully in the air.

"What do you want from me, Charlie?" As he made eye contact with her she saw for the first time that she wasn't the only one with tears in her eyes. "What is it that you want me to say? Is it that since the day I first met you, I haven't been able to get you out of my head?" He waited for her to say something which she didn't. "Or maybe you want me to tell you about how the thought of you going home to him each night and sleeping in his bed kills me?" He tried to keep his anger in check, but revealing everything to her made him feel vunerable. Anger was one way to conceal the pain he was now feeling.

She felt the tears roll down her cheek as she listened to him.

"Brax...I..." She choked back her tears as she stepped towards him but he backed away from her.

"No, Charlie!" The pain was clear in his voice and on his face. "I can't believe what an idiot I've been. I convinced myself that it would be worth it; that maybe...someday you would pick me." He paused for a moment, taking in the sight of her crying in front him. His chest ached and he longed to just take her in his arms and tell her it would be ok. But he couldn't and he knew that things wouldn't be ok.

"I was stupid for ever letting myself fall in love with you." He continued, his voice just above a whisper.

Charlie felt as though the wind had just been punched out of her stomach as his words echoed around her head. Her hand flew to her mouth as she tried to supress her cries. She stepped towards him but yet again he stepped away from her.

"Don't Charlie. You want me to give you a reason not to marry him...I can't. I can't do this anymore...just go back to your party." It took him all his strength to walk away from her; to tear his eyes away from the pain and the look of horror on her face as she just stood there hoping that he would turn back. She's made her choice.

Charlie fell down into the sand, her head falling to her chest as she let the tears flow freely. She had called for him to come back, but he had ignored her requests. Could she blame him? She remained on the beach as long as she could before making the dreaded journey back to the restaurant.

Angelo ran up to her as she rejoined the party, the excitement and alcohol now taking an effect on him. She hadn't thought it possible but his smile had grown in her absence.

"There you are! Where have you been?" He pulled her into a hug. Her eyes fell on Leah who threw her a hopeful look from across the room. Charlie ever so slightly shook her head and Leah's eyes fell to the ground disappointed.

"I had to get some fresh air. A little too much champagne." She lied, forcing on a smile.

Angelo didn't seem to notice as he led her further inside the club. "Come on, let's get this party started!" He smiled brightly at her as Charlie feigned happiness while inside her heart was in pieces.

---

I'll go into hiding now.... :o

Lianne :unsure:

Amazing chapter once again Lianne!! :D I can understand why Charlie said yes because it wasn't the time and place but I just hope she is honest with Angelo, Brax and most importantly herself tomorrow! Poor Brax I felt so sorry for him..he said he loves her! :wub: Please update soon! Xx

:cryingsmiley: OMG!! That Chapter!!!! Brilliant!!!

I was heart broken for not only Brax but Charlie too ....

I was glad that she ran after Brax though ... she has to break it off with Angelo she just MUST!!!

Loved when Leah said to Ruby "I think that was your mother realising that she said yes to the wrong man." :blush:

PLEASE PLEASE update soon .... I beg you the suspense is torture LOL

xxx

Archived