Sweet Misery

Guest Chax47

Just caught up with this story...its very fab!! Love the developing relationship with Brax and Charlie and how you are showing their feelings...

Interaction is really good and loved Heath and Brax especially Heath noticing Braxs infatuation with Charlie.

Really fun and good humoured between characters and looking forward to next update :)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

REALLY enjoyed that, especially ......

 It had all seemed perfectly innocent; a mum having dinner with her daughter and her daughter's boyfriend and brother. That wasn't the issue. It was the identity of the brother which made Angelo feel so uneasy.

 Angelo couldn't help but scoff at the question. His face suddenly changed, taking on a smug expression much to Brax's disgust. "I don't have to. Charlie isn't stupid, she'll soon figure you out for what you really are."

 "I know. If you just asked me out, we could stop all this pretending..." He winked at her. If he looked past the fact that she worked for the enemy, he had to admit that she was pretty hot. Not that he would ever date a cop; they all knew that was a territory you just didn't step into.

 "Couldn't have been very fast, considering a chick managed to catch up with me..."

 He watched as she drove away, fuming at his latest run in with this woman. He knew deep down that it wouldn't be long before they met again.

 "Her. She is my problem." Brax looked at Heath before following where he was looking. "That's the bitch that got me for speeding this arvo!"

Brax recognised the face and smiled. After paying for her drink, Charlie turned around and spotted him. She smiled as she walked over to him.

 I'm ok. Just been for a run!" She explained, suddenly feeling very conscious of the fact that she was dressed in a tracksuit and vest top. Although judging by the smile on Brax's face he didn't seem to mind her wardrobe choices.

 "He hasnt given you a hard time today, has he?"

Brax looked away from her and she immediately knew the answer. She sighed. "No, not at all." He hated lying to her, but the last thing he needed was to get her into anymore trouble.

She knew he was covering for Angelo, although she didn't want to push the issue any further.

 Brax tried to explain the situation hoping that Heath wouldn't see through him to the truth. But unfortunately for him, Heath knew his brother better than Brax had anticipated.

"You fancy her." He stated.

Brax blushed. "No I don't.

 Speeding Heath, really?"

Heath's mouth fell open for the second time that day. "Are you kidding me? You've been friends with this woman for two minutes and you're already taking her side."

Brax ignored his comment as they finally reached the car. "Just cut it out." Brax warned and Heath knew by the tone of his voice that Brax meant it. This woman was messing with Brax's head and Heath didn't like it one bit.

I love how awkward, yet natural they feel around each other. It is like a mix between being extremely attracted to one another and not knowing what to do about it. I loved it! Love Brax's flirtation, he is single and as far as he knows it is harmless... if she really loves Angelo, she will resist. But anyone can see she won't be able to resist. Loved it, can't wait to read more! :)

Just caught upon the last two chapters.

Love the interaction between Charlie and Brax. :D

Glad that she isn't judging him right off the bat.

Angelo just needs to go away. <_<

Got a feeling Heath is gonna cause some unnecessary trouble. :unsure:

Update soon really enjoying this story.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!!

Firstly, I am so sorry for how long it has taken me to get this chapter to you :( I feel awful for making you wait so long.

Thank you so much for the absolutely amazing comments! (luscious01, Jen1205, soph1303, ~JarlieFanEver~, Spotd1, cb2180, kiwi151, Dingo x, Sazzle, JosieTash, totally, RoRo90) They make my day, and I really appreciate you all taking the time to read this :wub:

Anyway, enough of my babbling...hope you enjoy....

Chapter 5

Angelo watched silently from behind the bar as Brax walked out of the kitchen carrying two plates. Brax glanced in his direction, causing Angelo to quickly look away. The tense relationship between the two men had only worsened over the past couple of weeks, although Angelo couldn't help but notice the increase in business since Brax had started. That was one thing he was at least thankful for. After serving the table, Brax joined Angelo behind the bar.

"Not a bad turn out for lunch!" Brax commented as he flicked through the reservation book, causing his smile to grow. "And fully booked for this evening!!"

"Things have certainly picked up." Angelo commented, his voice remaining flat.

Brax ignored him. He was beginning to get used to Angelo's ways, much to the annoyance of the other man. Charlie kept telling him that he would eventually let his guard down around him, but Brax was starting to get the feeling that that would never happen.

Before either man had chance to say anything else, Brax's phone vibrated in his pocket. He smiled at the caller ID before answering.

"Case, hey! What's up?" He continued looking through the book as he talked, although after a few seconds into the conversation he froze. "Woah, Casey. Slow down. What's going on?" Angelo glanced over at him as he tried to listen into the conversation. Brax's face fell as he listened to his brother on the phone. "I'll be there as soon as I can."

He hung up the phone and walked past Angelo. "I'm sorry but I have to go." He ignored the protests from Angelo as he ran out of the restaurant.

-----

Charlie glanced at her watch as she sat at her desk. Her shift was nearing it's end but the last hour of it seemed to be hitting a standstill. Angelo had called her earlier that morning to inform her that he was taking her out that afternoon after her shift. She had no idea what he had in mind but he had sounded excited about it on the phone. Deciding that maybe a change in scenery might help the rest of her shift progress, she picked up her now empty coffee cup and headed into the lobby of the police station.

Watson was stood behind the main desk, talking on the phone. She smiled at Charlie as she wrote down snipets of the phone conversation before hanging up.

"Domestic disturbance in Mangrove River." Charlie listened as Georgia gestured to her notepad. "A Cheryl Braxton..."

Charlie's face fell slightly. "Braxton?"

"Yeah, a neighbour just called it in. I'm on my way to check it out now."

Charlie paused for a moment before continuing. "You know what, I'll go with you." Before Watson had time to protest, Charlie had gathered her things and followed her out of the station.

-----

Watson pulled the car to a stop outside the house. Brax's car was parked in the driveway. Walking towards the house, they could hear the shouts coming from inside. Charlie threw Watson a look before pushing open the front door and charging inside.

A drunk Cheryl Braxton was stood in the middle of the living room, screaming at a frightened looking Casey. Charlie immediately noticed a cut on the side of his head; the blood staining the left side of his face. Brax stood in between the two, blocked Cheryl from getting anywhere near her younger son. The look of relief at seeing Charlie was quickly replaced by one of embarrassment. He tried not to make eye contact with her.

"See Mum, now look what you've done. The police are here!" Brax yelled back at her, although the older woman didn't look overly bothered.

"Talk to him about the police." She pointed angrily in Casey's direction, who was now just staring down at the floor. "Have you boys not listened to anything I've ever taught you? First school, Casey and now shacking up with a Pig's daughter?" Her words were slurred and her eyes barely open, but regardless her insult had the desired impact. She picked up her wine glass. She downed the remainder of the drink before launching the glass towards her sons. They moved out of the way as the glass collided with the wall and shattered onto the floor.

Charlie quickly moved towards Cheryl, standing between her and Brax. "I'm going to have to ask you to calm down, Miss Braxton." Cheryl spat in Charlie's direction, but thankfully due to her alcohol intake she missed and it hit the floor. She stumbled back slightly, just as Watson stepped forward and caught her, bringing her hands behind her back. Charlie heared Brax sigh behind her. Watson took out her handcuffs and fastened them around her wrists.

Cheryl screamed louder than before as she tried to resist the hold Watson had on her. Charlie nodded at the door and Watson dragged Cheryl in the direction of the front door. Charlie turned to face Brax who still wouldn't look at her.

"Casey, go and clean yourself up." Brax spoke quietly as Casey followed his orders and left the room.

"Brax..." Charlie took a step towards him, reaching out her hand to touch his upper arm. The hurt look on his face was calling out to her but his pride got in the way.

"Don't, Charlie." He moved out of her reach, ,running his hand threw his hair as he walked out of the front door.

Now that she was alone in the room, Charlie glanced around at the product of Cheryl's drinking problem. Empty liquer bottles littered the room, accompanied by a path of broken ornaments and shattered glass. Charlie sighed as she followed Brax. She was stopped at the doorway by Watson.

"She's secure. We'll come back and take the statements?"

Charlie glanced over Watson's shoulder as she spoke, her eyes falling onto Brax. He had his back to them as he stared at the police car with his mother in the back seat. Charlie didn't know what he was going through; her upbringing had been a little different. But she couldn't help but feel like she had to help him in whatever way she could.

"You take her to the station. I'll finish up here." She tore her eyes from him and focused again on Watson. Her collegue nodded at her before heading back to the car and started up the engine. Brax watched the car drive away before he realised that he wasn't alone.

Charlie took a deep breath as she walked towards him, stopping at his side. He finally looked at her and she noticed the water that had built up in his eyes.

"What's going to happen to her?"

"We'll let her calm down at the station. She'll be given a warning unless Casey is wanting to take this further? She is the reason he has a cut on his face?" She asked him, placing her hand on his back. She already knew the answer before she'd even asked the question. This time he didn't back away from her but he did look away.

"He won't want to press charges if that's what you mean." His voice came out a little colder than he had wanted and he immediately regretted it. "I'm sorry you had to witness any of that."

He moved away from her and walked over to his car, resting against the bonnet as he dropped his head into his hands.

"You don't have to apologise for that. You don't have to be going through this on your own." She stood in front of him, willing for him to look at her but not wanting to push him too far.

He eventually raised his head to meet her gaze. "Look, I get that you are just doing your job but I..."

She cut him off before he could finish. "I'm not just doing my job."

They stood in silence, their eyes locked. The pain and anger was visible on his face as was the concern on her own. Eventually Charlie spoke, reaching out and taking his hand in her own.

"Come on, let's go for a drive." She gestured at his car and reached out for his keys. "It'll do you good to get this off your chest. I can come back and get Casey's statement later on..."

Brax shook his head. "I dont think so, Charlie..."

"Come on. Don't make me arrest you...."

For the first time that day Brax smiled. "For what exactly?"

Charlie smiled back at him and shrugged. "For erm...ignoring police advice." She pulled a confused face at him which caused him to laugh. He wasn't sure how she was doing it, but he was starting to feel better. "Keys?"

They had been driving up the coast for twenty minutes before Charlie turned Brax's Ute into a parking space at a beach. The drive there had been fairly quiet, Brax had been lost in his thoughts and Charlie wanted to give him some time before their talk.

Sitting together on the beach, Charlie glanced at Brax as he stared out towards the water. "So, do you want to tell me what happened back there?"

"Are you asking me as a cop?" He turned to look at her and saw the genuine concern on her face.

"No, I'm asking as your friend."

He sighed as he tried to figure out where to start. "Mum hasn't been having a good day. She spent all last night on the slots, and I don't know when she started this latest drinking session but it's continued for most of today." He stared down at the sand, running his hands over the warm grains. "I was at work when Casey called. She came home and found him in his room studying and she just flipped. She told him she wanted him to quit school and get a job."

"Surely she would rather Casey received a good education?"

"Don't get me wrong, she wants what's best for him. But in her head, that doesn't involve school. And it definitely doesn't involve Casey dating Ruby. She wants us all to be as far away from the police as we can be." He hated saying the words just as much as he hated the change on Charlie's face as she heard them.

"Oh..." She nodded along, trying not to take it personally.

"That might be my mother's view, but it's not mine." He forced eye contact with her and hoped that she would know he wasn't just talking about Ruby and Casey anymore. Her smile told him that she understood.

"So then what happened?"

"She started screaming at him; throwing whatever she could find at him. That's when he called me."

"I'm so sorry, Brax." She placed her arm around his shoulders.

He sighed as he stared up at the sky, feeling the frustration building up in him. "I've tried so hard to keep him from seeing her like that. No matter how bad she is, she's still his mother. He shouldn't have to see her in that state."

"And neither should you. You can't keep all of this to yourself. Do the other River Boys know how bad things are?"

Brax laughed slightly. "The boys...they have my back. I know that. But having a heart to heart with them isn't really their style." Charlie couldn't help but smile at the thought of the group confiding in each other. It definitely went against the image they all portrayed to everyone else.

Charlie pulled him into a hug, rubbing his back lightly. He responded and wrapped his arms tightly around her, breathing in the sweet smell of her perfume. He closed his eyes as he felt a weight being lifted off his shoulders. After a couple of moments they pulled apart and smiled at each other.

"Thank you, Charlie." The hint of sincerity in his voice brought a warm smile to her face.

"Anytime. It's what friends are for."

As they continued calling, Charlie failed to notice her phone flashing in the sand beside her with Angelo's name highlighted on the screen.

----

Charlie walked into the Diner and noticed Angelo sitting alone at a table. A cup of coffee was placed in front of him. She could tell by the look on his face that he was annoyed, and she knew that an argument was surely to follow. Taking a deep breath, she headed over to him.

"Hey, I'm so sorry I'm late."

"2 hours late, Charlie." He remained staring down at his coffee as she took a seat beside him.

"I know. I got caught up. I'm sorry, I should have called...things just got a little hectic." She reached across the table and rubbed his hand which caused him to look up at her. The anger on his face had subsided slightly but he was still acting cold.

"This day is just getting from bad to worse. First Brax decides to just walk out on me and then..."

"Lay off him, Angelo." She cut him off. He wasn't sure whether it was her abruptness or her defensiveness which offended him most.

"What?"

"You don't know what's going on with him. You giving him a hard time right now, isn't going to help anyone. Just give the guy a break." She was growing bored of having to tell Angelo to leave Brax alone all the time, as he clearly wasn't getting the hint on his own.

Angelo frowned across the table at her, moving his hand away from hers. "Why are you sticking up for him all the time?"

"Somebody has to. You seem to be going out of your way to make things difficult for him."

His eyes studied her face as he glared across the table at her. "Where were you this afternoon?" He questioned. He wasn't sure whether he wanted to know the answer or whether or not he already knew it.

Charlie shrugged as she stood up. "I was helping out a friend. Now drop it. Are you ready?" She walked out of the Diner, leaving Angelo to sulk behind her.

-----

Hope you all enjoyed!! The next chapter won't take as long!!

Let me know what you think :)

Lianne x

Aww I loved it Lianne, worth the wait. I love how Charlie is getting to see his vulnerable side and you can tell they are really falling for each other. I don't think things are going to get any better between Brax and Angelo anytime soon but Chax are soulmates so Angelo will have to deal with it :P

Can't wait for the next update :)

Archived