Balance

Guest cadyctslover

I think there is a serious problem with storyline balance on H&A. I think the RB's as characters are becoming a little too big for the show, just like the YLM was in 2009.

Every episode they are in, they dominate. I like the individual characters, and think that they are all quite interesting. However the gang stuff is getting a little bit repetitive and boring.

This is something that I think H&A struggles to deal with in general. There needs to be drama in a series like this to keep us hooked, but it needs to be well-paced otherwise it can loose it's effectiveness.

In 2009 there were some very good stories, but they were dominated by the YLM. This storyline, and tone direction was largely unpopular, leading to a much slower and more upbeat 2010. However the pace was now a little too slow for the majority of viewers. This in turn lead to the introduction of the RB's to "change the bay forever".

For the first 6 months of this year I think the show was great. We still had the amazing cast, as well as some interesting new additions. There was an injection of much-needed drama (but not in an OTT, 2009 fashion) as well as some very enjoyable storylines that did and did not involve the RB's. Now that the producers have realised they've become popular characters, I think they are overusing them, and this much gang-warfare is too big for a show like H&A, just like people smuggling was.

Historically there seem to be more of these cycles. With Dan Bennett as Script Producer, 2005-6 appears to have been a very overly-dramatic (although highly-rating) period, with plane crashes, explosions and a trip to hospital every week. Then 2007 which was less plot-based and more character-based. And again in 1999 it appears things became a little too sensationalist (I wasn't really a viewer at the time, but I saw a clip on Youtube recently with Duncan planting a bomb in a shoebox that Alf sets off), leading to a more subdued 2000-1.

So why can't they maintain the balance that they had from late 2007 to mid-2008, and from the first half of this season? The dramatics are good in the short-term, but when they become as OTT as they are now I find it very difficult to watch. Anyone agree?

I think there is a serious problem with storyline balance on H&A. I think the RB's as characters are becoming a little too big for the show, just like the YLM was in 2009.

Every episode they are in, they dominate. I like the individual characters, and think that they are all quite interesting. However the gang stuff is getting a little bit repetitive and boring.

This is something that I think H&A struggles to deal with in general. There needs to be drama in a series like this to keep us hooked, but it needs to be well-paced otherwise it can loose it's effectiveness.

In 2009 there were some very good stories, but they were dominated by the YLM. This storyline, and tone direction was largely unpopular, leading to a much slower and more upbeat 2010. However the pace was now a little too slow for the majority of viewers. This in turn lead to the introduction of the RB's to "change the bay forever".

For the first 6 months of this year I think the show was great. We still had the amazing cast, as well as some interesting new additions. There was an injection of much-needed drama (but not in an OTT, 2009 fashion) as well as some very enjoyable storylines that did and did not involve the RB's. Now that the producers have realised they've become popular characters, I think they are overusing them, and this much gang-warfare is too big for a show like H&A, just like people smuggling was.

What you have said here is proof that there needs to be a massive shake-up behind the scenes. Cameron Welsh needs to go and there needs to be some brand new writers who can inject some life and genuine excitement into the show. Make the stories all about fostering, families and friendships. No over reliance on police officers, gangsters and loads of different types of romances. Have the show go back to basics.

I think the producers completely fail to realise that the River Boys wouldn't be as popular if they weren't good looking bad boys. They don't seem to understand that so many All we're seeing is the same thing day in day out with them. It's been like this for months. It's the most shallow thing there's ever been on the show.

Thanks for your reply Jamie. I wasn't thinking of anything that extreme, I think Cameron actually does a cracking job.

I really like several aspects of the show at the moment; it's modern, it's generally realistic for a soap, it has a great cast and amazing production quality.

I think the storylines are also very good, but that the RB's are perhaps a little over-bearing. Irene's cancer story was dwarfed in yesterday and today's episode by the gang rivalry.

They just need to strike a balance with the drama, rather than over-using it.

It sometimes seems to me that the writers are trying to alienate the long time viewers. Yes I know I was a teenager when I started watching back from the start but the show really seems to be aimed at hormonal teenagers now.

No one over 16 can believe that a policewoman or a teacher would even talk to these gang members, nevermind have a relationship with them.

Adult characters are portrayed as unreasonable and overbearing. Gina a prime example, she is shown as way overprotective with Xavier. Although he is so stupid and always getting into messes he needs a mother like that. But it is a waste of a great actress.

No adult is shown in a long term stable relationship but it seem as reasonable that teenagers get married! At least this is shown as being a struggle for them.

Maybe now that Sasha has arrived we will see something of the old message of the show with the outsider fitting in with a family.

I won't even start on the spoilers I have read which make me furious about how characters and actors are being treated.

You only have to watch 5 minutes of H&A to realise that the show is screaming out for a change behind the scenes.

I find it really sad that the only storyline they could come up with for Irene was to give her cancer. It must be H&A's most overused plotline.

Historically there seem to be more of these cycles. With Dan Bennett as Script Producer, 2005-6 appears to have been a very overly-dramatic (although highly-rating) period, with plane crashes, explosions and a trip to hospital every week. Then 2007 which was less plot-based and more character-based. And again in 1999 it appears things became a little too sensationalist (I wasn't really a viewer at the time, but I saw a clip on Youtube recently with Duncan planting a bomb in a shoebox that Alf sets off), leading to a more subdued 2000-1.

So why can't they maintain the balance that they had from late 2007 to mid-2008, and from the first half of this season? The dramatics are good in the short-term, but when they become as OTT as they are now I find it very difficult to watch. Anyone agree?

I agree with a lot of that but disagree about 1999. As you say you didn't watch the show really at the time so can't have a valid opinion on the entire year. Actually 1999 was rather subdued too, much like 2001 was. But the great thing about 1999 was that it was still very much a show about characters of all ages, comical, emotional, dramatic and uplifting - each character had a decent storyline and in between the individual storylines they all had something to do. Pretty much nothing like what the show has been since around 2005.

Make the stories all about fostering, families and friendships. No over reliance on police officers, gangsters and loads of different types of romances.

Exactly.

The thing I find interesting is that so many 'new' fans i.e most who started watching the show in the last decade or so, cant remember or never saw what Home and Away was all about for the first 12-15 years. The show has changes so dramatically and I will say I think the show has changed for the better in terms of production values i.e the way it is filmed, the look of the show. But there has been this strange and erratic cycle that started from 2005 onwards where the producers like to take the show on a brand new theme every year.

This year its all about gangs, drugs, sex, lust - Underbelly. Last year it was all about romance, romance, romance and more romance. The year before it was all about the 'year long mystery'... etc Home and Away never used to be like this. It wasn't ever like this until Cam took over as producer and it was during Dan Bennets time as producer that the show started to change dramatically - it hasn't ever really recovered. There have been some great periods since 2005, fantastic, addictive periods but the show isn't Home and Away anymore, its just whatever the producers feel like making every year - whether that be a cop show drama, a medical drama, a teenage soap... whatever, but its not Home and Away.

The producers are so milking the popularity of the River Boys with all the new viewers who are only tuning in to watch these characters - I haven't felt more alienated as a viewer of H&A than I do now. If they wanted to create a show like the one they are writing, why didn't they just write a brand new show and call it River Boys? Why have it control and dominate Home and Away?

Cameron Welsh is doing a fantastic job.

He brought back Marilyn and Ruth and both are great characters.

Not him solely. It would have been a collective decision with all production staff. Besides, Maz has been well and truly shoved into the back ground over the past few months, Roo hasn't been used all that much either. I understand they have probably rested Marilyn heavily due to all the backlash against her during the mess they made of her during the baby swap storyline, but they've taken that 'rest' too far Imo

The thing I find interesting is that so many 'new' fans i.e most who started watching the show in the last decade or so, cant remember or never saw what Home and Away was all about for the first 12-15 years. The show has changes so dramatically and I will say I think the show has changed for the better in terms of production values i.e the way it is filmed, the look of the show. But there has been this strange and erratic cycle that started from 2005 onwards where the producers like to take the show on a brand new theme every year.

This year its all about gangs, drugs, sex, lust - Underbelly. Last year it was all about romance, romance, romance and more romance. The year before it was all about the 'year long mystery'... etc Home and Away never used to be like this. It wasn't ever like this until Cam took over as producer and it was during Dan Bennets time as producer that the show started to change dramatically - it hasn't ever really recovered. There have been some great periods since 2005, fantastic, addictive periods but the show isn't Home and Away anymore, its just whatever the producers feel like making every year - whether that be a cop show drama, a medical drama, a teenage soap... whatever, but its not Home and Away.

The producers are so milking the popularity of the River Boys with all the new viewers who are only tuning in to watch these characters - I haven't felt more alienated as a viewer of H&A than I do now. If they wanted to create a show like the one they are writing, why didn't they just write a brand new show and call it River Boys? Why have it control and dominate Home and Away?

That's the point I was trying to make. Focusing on one theme and making the show all about that theme doesn't make it a soap opera.

We know they can make the show like it was. Proof of this was the first half of 2008, (which was when original writer Bevan Lee came back), and it was superb. Even though it was still around during the time when the show was very dark, (Johnny Cooper, Who killed Sam, etc), it still felt like the Home and Away the long term fans know and love. If the melodrama and constant storylines about gangsters and villains disappeared, and if we returned to fostering, families and friendships, like the show was all about during the 80's and 90's, then it would be a huge step in the right direction.

Not him solely. It would have been a collective decision with all production staff. Besides, Maz has been well and truly shoved into the back ground over the past few months, Roo hasn't been used all that much either. I understand they have probably rested Marilyn heavily due to all the backlash against her during the mess they made of her during the baby swap storyline, but they've taken that 'rest' too far Imo

We hardly see the ditzy side of Marilyn any more. The last time I remember seeing it was when she and Miles got drunk at a dinner party, and that was a few months ago. Marilyn did have a sensible, caring side to her at the same time in her original two stints, but that's not being shown much either. She's just "there". Even little moments where Marilyn talks to someone and gets the wrong end of the stick about something that's happened to another character are enough, but we don't even get that.

There’s definitely an imbalance to Home and Away, especially in the past few months, with screen time, storylines and publicity totally dominated by Charlie and the River Boys; there’s barely a promo that doesn’t feature Chax or the River Boys. It’s like they’re trying to make out that Chax is the most amazing romance ever (with the hatchet job they’ve taken to Charlie, Chux just nauseates me now :angry: ) and the River Boys are the most exciting (and only thing worth watching) on the show with the way other characters have been shoved to the background, some barely more than supporting roles lately. The other storylines or lack of storylines given to other characters only seems to make the RB more exciting; John and Gina (two of the more talented actors) haven’t had a decent storyline in ages, Romeo’s business storyline just seems boring against all the gang violence and it’s dragged on for so long and other storylines are just forgotten while they focus on drugs and violence - what happened to that turn Gina had when they thought it was menopause? I thought they may have followed up but it’s gone, as has Bianca’s rape and her abhorrence to drugs; throwing herself at a dangerous drug dealer who gets off on hurting others is hardly the actions of someone who hates what drugs do and I wish the writers would get over this love fest they have with strong, independent, career minded women throwing their self-respect and reputations out the window because they’re not able to resist the lure of drug dealing thugs like Heath and Brax – I don’t believe for one second Charlie and Bianca, who have seen the damage of drugs would even talk to such men, let alone throw themselves at them. It’s all become so shallow and they’ve totally massacred Charlie and are heading down the same route with Bianca

Upcoming spoilers pretty much destroy what was left of Charlie by dragging her down to Brax’s level and Bianca doesn’t come off much better.

The shallow way they had Charlie strutting around in her underwear and sneaking around with Brax was just a way to make it seem like they were this hot, sexy couple and want people to like them so that despite the laws Brax breaks or the way he lies, uses and manipulates Charlie, we don't care and just want the hot, sexy couple together; they're now doing the same with Bianca and Heath – talk about shallow and a great way to ruin characters. Personally, I base my liking of a character on their actions, which is why I will never warm to Brax (a manipulative, lying, abusive bully) and probably not Heath (though he’s easier to like because he seems to do the wrong thing because of stupidity and being bullied by his brother) and thanks to the hatchet job, Charlie has gone from my favourite character to making me turn off.

The other thing I haven’t liked this year is the repeating storylines. I get that with a show that’s been on for so long it’s necessary to repeat storylines, but they shouldn’t be from the same year or involve the same characters. There’s quite a few similarities to 2009, after which it was said there would be less focus on police storylines – that’s all there has been this year, with all the crime and violence courtesy of the RB.

2009/2011

Raped and nearly killed by rapist, then quick to recover from rape – Joey/Bianca

Miles getting a woman pregnant, only she's not happy about it at first

And then when she warms to the idea, she has a miscarriage

- Miles/Kirsty – Miles/Leah

A pointless, drawn out police investigation full of police incompetence that will no doubt end up with those involved getting away with it – YLM Hugo/Brax

A cop involved with criminals – Angelo/Charlie

Police corruption – Angelo/Charlie

Charlie sneaking around with a guy because she’s worried about what people will think – Angelo/Brax.

I suppose just copying and pasting old storylines makes it easier for them to focus on more exciting storylines for the darlings of the show; Charlie and the RB.

I liked the RB and Chax at first but it’s all become about them and it's all just so shallow and ridiculous with what they’re allowing Brax and Heath to get away with and the way that the community which had such a problem when they first arrived in the Bay, don’t really seem all that concerned (with the exception of a few) that Heath and Brax have been linked to drug trafficking, gang violence and other crimes. Leah’s about-face in not being happy Brax was at her house because she thought it was too dangerous to changing her mind after he was stabbed – being stabbed just proved how dangerous it is to associate with him,

especially with Charlie’s shooting and kidnapping

. Joyce’s response to the news that the lead investigator was sleeping with the leader of the gang under investigation was also disappointing, making out it wasn’t that big a deal.

I'm still annoyed that Watson was made to pass it off as he’s hot, it could happen to anyone when she had such a big problem with Charlie and Angelo.

The entire police investigation has been full of holes with so much introduced but then never followed up on and just forgotten; it’s laughable the number of charges that weren’t even filed. The police, especially Charlie, have been portrayed as incompetent fools unable to catch them out, there was no surveillance when they were the main suspects, so many crimes have gone without a result and they seem to lack the ability to put two and two together – Charlie sleeping with a criminal involved in a gang always one step ahead of the police yet no one has wondered why? How about Sgt Blabbermouth. I don't see the point in them doing a police storyline in which the police aren't allowed to use their brains and commonsense, or when the whole thing is just so predictable because we know that Mr I Can Get Away With Everything won’t go to jail for all the major crimes he’s committed. It’s like drug trafficking isn’t that big of a deal and they’ve just been handing lollies out and not drugs that destroy lives. It's really become the RB are wonderful show and we should be praying they get away with all their crimes because they're so hot. Since when is sex, violence, drugs and dangerous criminals what Home and Away is about?

There also doesn’t seem to be much in the way of community these days, with the odd exception. The same characters always seem to be around the same characters each episode and the teens don’t seem to hang out much together; Ruby, like her mum, doesn’t seem to have a life outside of their respective Braxtons – whether they’re together or not.

With the dominance of a few characters, it’s actually becoming harder to watch it (and I do want to watch it, especially Irene’s storyline), but I’m sick to death of having Charlie (or what is left of her character) and the RBs shoved in my face. I can’t even watch the Early Years without seeing them. An article in the TV Week a few weeks back said that it was risky for the show to be moving so far away from it’s core, especially as the RB won’t be around forever and I have to agree; will those who only watch because of them still watch when they leave? And how many long-term viewers would have turned off by then? They definitely need more of a balance, but now that the show has decided Chux are the IT couple and the RB are so hot they can let them do whatever they please and the audience is expected to accept that, then I dread to think of how they will keep the excitement going next year – even more sex, drugs, violence and pathetic behaviour by Charlie and the RB.

Archived