Broken

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 80

Roman rolled over and opened his eyes when he smelt the coffee.

“Huh what?” he muttered.

“We’re going surfing Daddy.” Georgie cried.

“Is it that time already?” Roman muttered easing up in the bed. He moved the pillows behind him and sat back accepting the cup. “Where is your Mum?” he asked with a frown.

“She’s cooking breakfast.” Sammy told him sitting next to him.

“Oh.” Roman murmured as though he had been expecting a different answer.

“Amy-Belle had her baby last night.” Sammy said. “It’s a boy.”

“That’s good. Are they both alright?” he asked sipping deeply from the cup.

Georgie nodded.

“Are you getting up now?” he asked.

Roman smiled.

“Are you sure it’s time for surfing?” he asked back.

Georgie grinned.

“If we are quick we’ll catch the morning tide.”

“He’s only been looking at it on the Internet for half the night.” Sammy informed him.

Roman chuckled.

“Out you get then let me get up in peace.” Roman said quietly.

“We don’t mind waiting Daddy.” Sammy told him.

“I might mind. Off you go.” He said to them beginning to push the covers to one side.

Georgie and Sammy both sprang up from the bed and rushed out leaving Roman grinning as he got out of the bed and walked over to the en suite. He pulled on clothes and splashed cold water on his face before heading back out and grabbing his cup on the way. He found himself smiling as he moved down the stairs and into the kitchen.

“Morning.” He said softly looking for the coffee-pot.

“Boys wake you?” Ella asked him.

“Was that a stupid question?” he shot back grinning at her.

“I kept them busy for an hour.” She murmured.

He noted that she didn’t quite meet his eyes as she spoke to him but other than that she seemed to be a bit brighter.

“An hour?” he asked and saw her nod.

“When they first came into our room to wake you up.” She said with a half grin.

“I’m sorry.” He told her. “I should have woken.”

“It doesn’t matter. I wasn’t very sleepy. Did they pass on the message?”

“Amy-Belle?” he asked her.

She nodded.

“Yup.” He said quietly. “Did Toby go in with her?”

“No he stayed in the waiting room. Something about wanting to go on a date with her before he saw her give birth.” Ella smiled.

“Well that kind of makes sense.” He muttered. “And where did you hide the coffee?”

“It’s on the table.” She muttered pointing.

“Thank you.” He said to her in a heartfelt tone of voice.

She giggled at him and pushed him towards the table where the coffee-pot was standing. He poured more into his cup wondering if anyone would notice if he drank it out of the pot direct.

“So ..” he began.

“So?” Ella asked moving away from the cooker so she could look at him.

“What are you planning to do when we are surfing?” he asked slowly.

“Some cleaning.” She murmured. “Sorting out lunch for everyone.”

“I can do that when I get back.” he said quickly.

“I know but if its done we can sort the kids out for the afternoon and go down to the hospital. I was thinking of sorting out some of William’s things for Amy-Belle and dropping them in to her.”

Roman nodded.

“Ok then.” He said softly. “If you decide not to do any of that though I’ll be back long before lunch.”

Ella nodded.

“Ok?” he asked.

“I nodded didn’t I?” she said grinning at him.

“I know but that doesn’t actually mean that you are agreeing with me sometimes it means that you are just trying to get rid of me so you can go do what you wanted to do anyway.”

“Hey!” she cried out giving him a look.

“Well?” he asked raising an eyebrow as he looked at her.

“Maybe.” She muttered folding her arms.

He grinned at her and reached out a hand towards her sighing when she moved over to him and took hold of his hand. He pulled her into his arms forsaking his cup of coffee to give her a hug.

“Are you ok?” She asked him after a minute.

“Yeah.” He said.

“Only your squishing me.” she pointed out.

“Sorry.” He told her easing back. “Just.” He said and sighed.

“Just?” she prompted.

“Felt good holding you.” He confessed deciding that he was going to be honest.

“Ok there.” Ella said covering up what she was feeling. She tried to ease out of his embrace carefully but ended up forcing him to let her go, missing the hurt expression on his face as she looked down.

“I should get the boys.” He said quickly stepping away from her.

Ella nodded.

“I’ve packed breakfast for you to take with you.” She murmured walking away from him and into the kitchen.

“Thanks.” He called out his voice sounding flat to his own ears.

“No worries.” She murmured disappearing from the kitchen and into the utility room.

Roman pinned a smile on his face and drank down the coffee he’d discarded earlier. He collected the breakfast she’d packed and moved outside to the car. Sammy and Georgie were on the front veranda waiting.

“Excited much?” he asked them.

“Dad!” Georgie groaned.

“Ok I’m hurrying.” Roman murmured ruffling his sons’ hair. He walked over to the garage and took out his surf board putting that on the top of the car before collecting the others and doing the same, making sure they were well strapped down. “In you get.” He called to them.

“here.” Ella called out walking over to him.

He looked at her and saw a pile of towels in her hands before he noticed the thermal coffee cup.

“Thanks.” He said softly accepting the cup and placing that in the car. He took the towels next and handed them to Sammy in the back seat. “Won’t be long.” He promised.

She gave him a smile.

“Have fun.” She said quietly.

Roman looked at her debating whether to kiss her goodbye or not. He saw the kids give him a look when they saw him standing there.

“Oh hell.” He muttered and dragged her into his arms kissing her passionately and not the quick peck he’d thought about.

“Stop.” She muttered slapping his arm.

His gaze met hers and he felt a strange sense of rejection before easing away and climbing into the car and setting off.

Ella watched him go before heading into the house. She made her way into the kitchen and looked around it before fetching all the cleaning stuff. Within minutes she had scrubbed down all the tops and wiped down cupboards before moving into the lounge. The dinning table was next taking the brunt of her emotions as she cleaned it down first before using old-fashioned furniture wax to bring out the wood grain as she polished it. She stacked the chairs out on the veranda so they would be out of the way when she hoovered before she tackled the shelves on the wall unit. The sofas were next as she sprayed them with cleaner. She left that to do its job before heading to the tv unit collecting up the pile of dvd’s left lying around and storing them back in the unit beside it before dusting and polishing. All surfaces clear she fetched the hoover and after plugging it in she switched it on. She took all her frustration out with the hoover. Cleaning off the sofas first then tackling the carpet before changing the setting and going over the kitchen floor.

“I’d like to think I taught you everything I know about cleaning.” Nic called out over the sound of the hoover. She moved through to the lounge locating where it was plugged in and switched it off before pulling the plug. She headed back into the kitchen and handed Ella the plug before looking at her. “Just could you have don’t it a little quieter and maybe later in the day.”

Ella glared at her.

“Luckily I’d just finished or you’d be in….”

“Don’t take your bad mood out on me Ella Harris.” Nic warned giving her a smile.

“Back off Nicole.” Ella snapped turning around and putting stuff back in the utility room.

Nic walked over to the kettle and switched it on before facing Ella.

“Two choices Step-Mama either you tell me what is going on or I tell my Dad that he should take you away for a couple days to chill out.”

“He won’t bother doing that.” Ella bit out. “He’s already decided that we are going to separate after you lot have gone.”

“Wait what? Did I wake up in some alternate reality?” Nic gasped.

Ella gave her a look before moving to fetch the chairs back in from outside.

“Ella stop and speak to me.” Nic demanded going over to her side.

“Nothing to talk about.” Ella denied. “We’re separating.”

“Nothing to talk about?” Nic said back looking at her. “My dad is mad about you Ella. He’s gone to hell and back to get married to you again. There is no way he’d calmly agree to a separation.”

Ella turned and looked at Nic.

“He didn’t agree to it Nic he told me that’s what is going to happen.” She said before she burst into tears.

Nic moved over to her side and took her into her arms holding her close.

“It’s going to be ok Step-Mama.” Nic soothed.

Ella pulled away and wiped at her eyes moving through to the kitchen. She took out the coffee and started making a pot.

“El.” Nic called moving to stand next to her.

“Kids will be down soon.” She whispered. “Can’t let them see me upset.”

“uh huh.” Nic folded her arms and looked over at Ella. “Like they aren’t going to know anyway.”

Ella looked at her and burst into tears again.

“What Step-mama?” Nic asked holding her once more.

“He’s still making love to me.” She stuttered. “Why is he doing that?”

“Oh El.” Nic held her tightly stroking her hair softly as the other woman sobbed in her arms.

“Guess this is a bad time to get a coffee?” Mike called out quietly from the doorway.

“Go away.” Nic glared at him. “Don’t you have coffee at your place?”

Mike shook his head.

“We don’t do shopping.” He told Nic moving over to them and taking over making the coffee. He took it through to the dinning table along with three cups and the milk.

“Now then is one of you going to tell me what is going on?” he asked calmly.

Ella looked at him and wiped her eyes once more before collecting some tissue from the utility room and heading to the table.

“Just been really emotional with the baby and everything.” Ella said to him giving him a half smile.

Nic felt like giving a round of applause for the act Ella was putting on but a glance at Mike’s face told her that he wasn’t fooled. She moved over and sat next to them pouring out the coffee.

“Dad looks exhausted too.” He murmured casting a sly look at Ella.

“Like I said it’s been draining.” Ella nodded sipping from her cup. “Just about to start organising lunch so if you want breakfast you should get it now.”

“I think we should do a BBQ for lunch. Everyone is here. Brett and I can sort out chairs and stuff. The kids can keep busy in the pool.” Mike suggested softly. “That way you don’t have so much mess in the house and noisy kids running around.”

Nic nodded.

“Sounds like a good idea.” She murmured. “I’m sure there are more than enough things left over from the buffet to put out.”

Ella looked at them and nodded.

“Fine.” She muttered.

“Sorted.” Mike said quickly. “Toby stayed at the hospital last night by the way.”

Ella nodded.

“He and Amy-Belle are going to date.”

“She keeping the baby?” Nic asked. “I haven’t liked to ask Belle it’s been pretty stressful.

“Gabby talked to her and gave her some good advice.” Mike pointed out. “Sounded scarily like you Mum.”

“Did she do the voice?” Nic asked. “Because she’s good at the voice.”

“Are you trying to cheer me up here?” Ella interrupted them.

“Maybe a little.” Nic said.

“It was either that or I’d be forced to tickle you.”

“Tickle Mama?” Lily cried out from the other side of the room.

“And how did you get down missy?” Nic called out to her sister before she caught sight of Liam next to her still in his bunny suit and Mira, her own daughter.

“Lily can undo the stair gates.” Ella told them quietly.

“I’ve got a couple of padlocks that can sort that.” Mike said grinning at the look on Nic’s face at his suggestion.

“Bunny hungry.” Liam called out hopping over to the table.

“Bunny gets carrots.” Ella responded trying not to smile at her son.

Liam smiled at her and stretched his arms up.

“Ok bunny boy.” Ella said unable to stop the grin this time at her way too cute son. She picked him up and cuddled him.

“Mummy.” Mira called out running over to her.

“Breakfast little one?” Nic said softly.

Lily walked carefully over to them and grabbed hold of her highchair dragging it towards the table.

Mike stood and moved over to help her before lifting her into it. He walked into the kitchen and took out bread making toast for them before heading into the fridge and taking out a couple of carrot sticks. He placed them in a bowl with some cherry tomatoes before handing that to Liam grinning at his brother.

“Me bunny.” Liam called out.

Nic shook her head before collecting the other highchair and placing her daughter in it next to Lily. She too moved into the kitchen and got drinks for all three babies.

“Remember when this was the twins and Angel?” Nic asked quietly.

“Back in the good old days before that horrible Meggy came along.” Ella asked back and on cue heard a ‘hrumph’ sound from the hallway.

Nic laughed when she caught sight of Meggy walking into the room.

“Morning.” Ella called out.

“Mummy you are so not funny.” Meggy muttered before turning to Nic. “Angle and Sophie will be down soon. They are doing each others hair.”

“Uh huh. The last time they did hair…” Nic began.

“Well we learnt our lesson.” Meggy interrupted. “Only semi permanent colour and avoid bleach.”

“Now who’s not funny madam.” Nic called before leaning down and hugging her sister.

“Hey Nic.” Meggy called out hugging her back. She moved over to her mum and leaned up kissing her on her cheek. “Is Mike doing breakfast?” she asked quietly.

“I think so.” Ella said looking over at her son.

“Great Pizza.” Meggy said squealing when Mike moved over to her and picked her up. He swung her round the room laughing when she squealed some more.

“Watch it brat.” He called to her before taking her back to the table and sitting her on a chair. He moved back into the kitchen and brought back toast for the babies. It was spread with Lily’s favourite chocolate spread and he’d used a cookie cutter to put it into animal shapes.

“Ah.” Nic sighed looking at it.

“Did the boys go surfing this morning?” Meggy asked.

“Yup.” Ella replied.

“Well hopefully they’ll shut up about it now.” She murmured putting her head on her folded arms. “They kept us awake last night talking about waves and motion and tides and stuff.”

Ella laughed.

“Makes a change for the boys to keep you awake Missy. “ she told her.

Meggy shrugged.

Mike moved over to her and handed her a plate with a fried egg sandwich on.

“What?” Meggy asked.

“Hangover food.” Mike murmured. “Works the same if you don’t get a lot of sleep.”

Meggy gave him a long look before she gingerly picked it up and took a bite.

“Nice?” he asked seeing her grin.

She nodded her mouth full.

“It’s pretty good.” She told him when she’d swallowed.

He handed the same over to Nic and smiled as she grinned at him.

“Guess you are learning to cook.” She murmured.

He shrugged returning a moment later with another one placing that in front of Ella.

“I don’t…” she began.

“Need to keep your strength up Ma.” He told her softly.

She gave him a long look before setting Liam on his own chair and tucking into the sandwich.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 81

Roman walked quietly out of the en suite and pulled open a drawer in the tall wooden unit.

“Hey.” Ella mumbled from the bed.

“Sorry/” Roman said quietly. “I was trying not to wake you.”

“Probably should get up now anyway.” She said easing back on to the pillows and sitting up.

Roman moved to sit next to her placing his hand on her forehead.

“You feel a bit hot.” He said softly. “How about I get you a couple of tablets and some juice.”

Ella shook her head lifting up her arm and pushing away his hand.

“I’m fine.”

Roman muttered something under his breath and stood up. He paced over to the chest of drawers and pulled one open with more force than necessary taking out a few items before slamming it shut. He gave her a last look before turning and heading into the en suite to get dressed.

Ella watched him without comment before sinking back down in the bed. She turned on her side dragging her pillow with her and burying her face in it. She bit it in an effort not to cry or say anything.

Roman stormed out of the en suite and stopped dead when he saw Ella crouched down in the bed.

“Ok I’ve had enough of this.” He snapped out. “What the hell is wrong with you?”

Ella shook her head and buried herself deeper under the covers.

Roman reached for the cover and yanked it down so he could see her face. She sat up and pulled back from him wiping her face.

“There is nothing the matter with me.” She denied sounding bitter.

“Then why do you act as though you hate me?” Roman asked her.

“I do hate you.” She shot back scrambling on the bed until she was kneeling.

Roman flinched and pulled back from her.

“So you do want our marriage to be over.” He said bitterly.

“Me?” Ella shot out. “Why throw this back at me. You’re the one who’s gone on about a separation.” She muttered folding her arms around herself.

Roman stood up and moved away form her he rubbed his hands over his face before looking at her.

“Because that was what I thought you wanted.” He told her finally.

Ella looked at him.

“How could you think that I wanted that?” she asked him.

“Because you keep telling me its over Ella.” He said softly. “I’m trying to do anything I can to help you.”

“So you think that telling me we are over and then still making love to me is the right way to help me?” she shouted at him.

She moved off the bed and went to move past him to the en suite forced to stop when he caught hold of her arms.

“I made love to you because I hoped that it was still true that you couldn’t be with someone like that if you didn’t love them.” he said softly looking down at her.

“Well obviously I can.” She snapped out glaring at him.

“Uh huh. “ Roman grinned before he began moving her back towards the bed.

“What are you doing?” she stuttered.

“Isn’t it obvious?” he asked her trying not to smirk. “I’m planning to have a demonstration.”

”What no.” Ella muttered squirming in his hold.

“Yeah I like that.” He whispered before kissing her.

“I said stop.” She muttered wiping her mouth when he’d finished kissing her.

“I can’t.” Roman said grinning. “I need to make love to my woman.”

“I am not ….” She began to say looking up at him.

“You are my woman.” Roman told her. “My lover, my wife,” he added possessively.

“I hate you.” Ella spat at him. “I hate you so much.”

Roman lifted her on to the bed and moved until he was lying next to her.

“So lets start this conversation again shall we? I’ve been upset with you because you keep pulling away from me. I don’t want to separate because I happen to be in love with you. I thought you needed the space because you aren’t doing so well Ella.” He told her stroking her face.

“I’m fine.” She muttered feeling defensive.

“Screaming at me and Rachel?” he murmured. “Starring into space when you think no one is watching.”

She looked at him without saying anything.

“Smiling at us but never really being in the same room. You put on a very good show Ella. Took a lot of effort and you fooled me totally. Maybe because I wanted to be fooled. I wanted to believe that a few days away had made you better.”

Ella sighed and looked at him.

“I wanted to be ok.” she whispered.

“I know my beautiful wife.” He said kissing her gently. “But its not something we can wave a magic wand and fix. You need to talk to someone. Take some time out for yourself so that we aren’t sapping all your strength.”

She moved into his arms and clung on to him.

“It’s going to be ok I promise.” He told her. “As long as you really don’t intend to leave me.”

“Not tonight anyway.” She whispered.

Roman sighed.

“I’m sorry I hurt you. I really thought I was saying the right thing. I hoped that if we made love it was going to be ok you’d know how much I loved and wanted you.” He said kissing her gently.

“It’s ok.” she murmured. “It just made me sad.”

Roman shook his head.

“No Ella I know that you thinking I would use you like that must of hurt you..” he told her. “If I had any idea that was going through your head, god.”

“We should go down and see what they are up to.” She murmured.

“Are we going to see Fleur?” he asked.

“Please.” Ella murmured. “I can’t wait to bring her home.”

Roman smiled.

“Me either.” He said smiling. “I might get a cuddle then.”

“I keep offering.” Ella said guiltily.

“I know but I figure you need to hug her a bit more than me.” He said softly.

“Oh.” Ella gasped. “That’s the kind of statement that will get you a lot of sex.”

Roman stood and moved over to the chest of drawers pulling on his trainers before holding out his hand to her and helping her off the bed. He kept hold of her hand all the way down the stairs and out through the house into the back garden.

“Mummy.” Sophie called out running over to her.

“Woah.” Roman held his hand up. “Mummy is having a day off. Either sort it out yourself or ask her tomorrow.”

“Roman.” Ella protested.

“Nope. You are not to lift a finger tonight. There are loads of people here.” He pointed out. “Time you got pampered. Anyway we need to go straight after lunch to go see….” He stopped and looked at her. “Want to tell them?”

“Let’s just tell Sammy and wait for the others to find out.” Ella murmured to him.

“No!” Sophie gasped out.

Roman chuckled.

“Go get everyone together Princess.” Roman told his daughter.

She nodded and ran down the garden.

“Ok?” Roman turned and asked Ella.

“Going to keep bugging me now?” she murmured.

He nodded before pulling her closer and kissing her.

“We’re here Mummy.” Sophie called out.

Ella eased back from Roman and looked at the children standing around them.

“Ok.” Roman murmured and led them down to spot on the grass. He sat down and tugged on Ella’s hand until she gave him a grin and sat next to him. He put his arms around her and kissed the top of her head.

“Sit.” Roman called out.

The children looked at them before sitting around them on the grass.

“Yesterday one of your baby sisters was taken to hospital.” Roman said softly.

“Wow!” Meggy cried out. “Which one?”

“Hospital? Is the baby all right?” Sammy asked worriedly.

“Fleur.” Ella answered.

“Still haven’t explained how you know that.” Roman murmured.

Ella shrugged.

“Anyway.” Roman continued. “That is where we are going after lunch. Hopefully we can bring her home in a few days.”

Sophie looked at Georgie before she spoke again.

“Can you use her to find her twin?” she asked. “We know where the other one is.”

Georgie nodded.

“Like sorta twin radar.” He explained.

“And you didn’t feel like sharing this information when your sister kept running away.” Ella asked him.

Sophie blushed.

“I totally haven’t run away for ages.” She muttered defensively.

“Probably won’t now we know we can just ask your twin where you are.” Roman pointed out.

“Hey!” Georgie protested.

“I don’t think it works like that.” Ella told Sophie. “Besides she is too young.”

Sophie and Georgie looked at each other before looking back at Roman.

“I’m going to go hide in the house and Georgie is going to tell you where I am.” Sophie told them springing up.

“It’s ok Sophie we believe you.” Roman told her.

She nodded but turned and ran inside.

Ella looked at Roman and grinned.

“Ok Georgie where is she?” Roman asked his son after a couple of minutes.

Georgie grinned.

“She’s in the Utility room sitting on the washer.” He murmured.

Roman looked sceptical but stood up and moved into the house himself. He walked through the kitchen and into the utility room.

“See Daddy.” Sophie told him sitting on top of the washing machine. She sprang off and moved ahead of him outside and back over to Georgie.

“How do they do that?” Roman asked Ella.

“Got a touch of my witchcraft in them I suppose.” She murmured grinning at him.

He looked at her.

“Remember their birth?” she asked him.

Roman smiled and leaned over to kiss him.

“Daddy wasn’t at our birth.” Sophie muttered exchanging a puzzled look with Georgie.

“I was sort of.” Roman told them. “We’ll tell you one day.” He promised taking hold of Ella’s hand.

“So when can we bring her home?” Meggy asked. “Is she going to sleep with Lily?”

“I think she’ll sleep with us for a few weeks.” Ella told them. “Until we sort out bedrooms.”

“If you move Lily in with me and William in with Sammy then they can have the nursery.” Meggy worked out.

“I don’t think they will like being separated.” Ella told them softly. “Besides if Marcus comes to stay a bit more often….”

“He can share with me I don’t mind.” Sammy said.

“Well we have time to work this out but thank you for thinking about it.” Elal said quietly.

“Who does she look like Mummy?” Sophie asked.

“She’s just like your Mummy.” Roman told them before Ella could respond. He pulled out his phone and scanned through the pictures until he found the one of them taken at the hospital. He handed his phone over to them.

“She’s really pretty.” Meggy cried out.

“I can’t wait until she’s home.” Sophie murmured.

“Couldn’t you have had a boy?” Sammy asked.

Ella looked at them and laughed.

Chapter 82

Ella smiled at Roman before placing Fleur in his arms.

“Thank you.” He told her. “She’s light.” He said softly looking down at his daughter,

“She feels pretty heavy to me. Perhaps you’re more used to lifting weights.”

“Ha ha.” He murmured before looking at his little girl. “I hope you didn’t inherit your mothers sense of humour.” He told her.

Ella smiled and moved to sit next to Roman on the arm of the hospital chair. She put her arm around him.

“Hey you.” Roman said quietly.

“Hey yourself.” Ella said back.

“She’s so pretty El. Looks like Meggy.”

“Really?” Ella asked looking at her daughter. “I hope they aren’t identical twins we’ll have so much trouble with them.”

Roman smiled.

“Yeah.” He agreed. “You’ll be one of those Mums who dresses them the same.”

Ella chuckled.

“Only to annoy you.” She answered back.

Roman laughed jostling Fleur who whined at him.

“Uh huh Nicole’s sister.” He murmured softly.

Ella giggled leaning down and kissing him before taking hold of Fleur’s hand. She grinned as her baby wrapped her fingers tight around one of her fingers and squeezed tight.

“Hey little madam.” Ella grinned at her. “Well she takes after you.”

“Uh huh.“ Roman said quietly.

Ella smiled at him.

“I think I’ve fallen in love with our daughter.” Ella whispered.

“That is easy to do she’s gorgeous like her mother.” Roman said looking at Ella a blaze of love on her face.

“I think you might be prejudiced.” Ella told him.

“Just a little.” Roman smiled at her.

“This is nice to see.” Rachel murmured walking into the room.

“So when can we take her home?” Ella asked immediately.

“In a couple of days. She’s doing very well. Would you like to feed her?” Rachel asked.

Ella grinned.

“No I think we’ll let you do that.” She murmured.

“Was a pretty silly question wasn’t it?” Rachel chuckled and nodded to the nurse nearby to fetch them a bottle.

“We should talk about getting her birth registered so we can get her a birth certificate.” Ella said quietly.

Roman nodded.

“That hadn’t even occurred to me.” He admitted.

“I can let you have a copy of the DNA results.” Rachel told them. “That plus the police report should be enough evidence.”

Roman inclined his head before looking past Rachel as the nurse brought them a bottle in.

“Ok.” he said standing up and handing their daughter to Ella.

She grinned over at him and moved to sit in the seat he vacated accepting the bottle and beginning to feed her daughter for the first time. She felt Roman’s gaze on her and she smiled over at him.

“Feels pretty amazing doesn’t it?” he asked her.

She nodded.

“We were just wondering if she and her sister were identical.” Roman told Rachel.

“You’ll be having some fun if they are.” She murmured thinking of her own twins.

Ella laughed at the expression on Roman’s face.

“Hey.” Ella called out softly walking into Amy-Belle’s room.

“Hey I understand that you have one of your baby’s back.” Amy-Belle murmured sleepily.

“Yes.” Ella murmured.

“I’m so sorry.” Amy-Belle gasped out beginning to cry.

“I don’t need an apology.” Ella told her moving over to the side of the bed.

“No it wasn’t very nice of me and you’ve been through so much.” Amy-Belle muttered looking over at her.

“Seriously its all sorted now.” Ella murmured. “So are you keeping him?”

Amy-Belle nodded.

“Don’t know what to name him though.” She muttered.

“I’m sure you’ll find a name for him. “ Ella commented. “We sorted out some of William’s things for you to help you out.”

“Thank you so much.” Amy-Belle murmured sitting up in the bed. She adjusted the pillows behind her.

“No worries. Is the baby ok? No problems?” Roman said quietly.

“All fingers and toes. He’s just small.” Amy-Belle told them.

“That’s good.” Roman said before he lapsed into silence. He looked on her as a granddaughter and yet she had done that to Ella. He thought that it would take time to forgive her.

“So you planning to go back to school and finish your HSC?” Ella asked quietly.

“I don’t know.” Amy-Belle said quickly. “I don’t know about anything. I thought I had time to sort this out but he came so early.”

“You’ll find it hard to get a job without your HSC.” Ella pointed out. “You’ll want to set a good example to your son. He’ll be the first one to throw it back at you if you don’t go for it. You could defer this year and go back next.”

Amy-Belle nodded.

“My parents are already talking about options.” Amy-Belle said pursing her lips as she spoke. “I really don’t know.”

“If I were in your position I would listen to all the options before you make any choices. “ Ella told her. “You’ve got a lot of support remember, you won’t be going through this alone.”

“I know.” Amy-Belle murmured.

“Visiting hours are almost up.” Roman pointed out.

“Oh.” Ella said looking at him. “Well we’ll leave you alone now. We’ll be here again tomorrow so we’ll pop in then.” She promised.

She moved over to the bed and gave Amy-Belle a hug before joining Roman at the door and walking out of it. She gave him a look but didn’t say anything, walking with him down the long empty hospital corridor.

“Yeah I know.” He murmured. “I’m still mad at her.”

“I didn’t say anything.” Ella grinned over at him.

“I know you didn’t. El, she hurt you. That upsets me.” He reached out and took hold of her hand stilling her before he leant down and kissed her. “You know I’ll forgive her but it’s going to take some time for me.”

She smiled up at him before lifting her hand and stroking the side of his face.

“Ok.” she told him her eyes meeting his.

“One last look at Fleur before we go home?” he asked her and saw her nod.

He led them back to the nursery smiling at the look on her face as she saw their daughter.

“So what are we going to do tonight?” Ella asked him as she walked over to the crib.

“Well I do have a few things in mind.” He said softly giving her a passionate look.

Ella looked at him.

“I didn’t mean that.” She groaned blushing.

Roman chuckled watching as she carefully lifted their daughter out of the crib and cuddled her.

“She is getting bigger.” Ella said quietly.

“Really?” Roman said. “She must be recognising you love her.”

Ella smiled and shook her head.

“You going to deny the connection you have with them?” he moved to her side and put his arm around her putting his other hand on their daughter. “Waking up every night because you could hear them crying?”

Ella shrugged.

“You just wanted to be home didn’t you?” she talked softly to her sleeping daughter.

“Did you know about Sophie and Georgie?” he asked looking down at Fleur.

“No.” she grinned. “But when I went into labour with William my side hurt.” She looked up at him. “The same side where Mike was shot. If anything I would say that love is a strong connection.”

Roman leaned down and kissed her.

“Like me dreaming I was with you when you were having Sophie and Georgie.” He said quietly. “Or all the times you’ve called to me.”

“Something like that.” Ella said looking up at him.

Roman nodded.

“I do love you Ella Harris.” He told her. “I know I always will.”

She sighed, melting back against him.

“Think I better put her back.” Ella said after a few moments. “Think we can make a stop on the way home?”

“Yeah sure.” Roman said watching her place Fleur into her crib. She turned and took hold of his hand leading him out of the room and back to the car.

“Where do you want to go?” he asked her.

Ella smiled and placed her hand on his knee as he started the car.

“The sand dunes.”

“Ella Harris.” He groaned out.

“Up to you of course but I fancy some fresh air.”

Roman chuckled even as he steered the car towards the beach.

Chapter 83

Ella and Roman walked into the house hand in hand and were stopped in the hallway by Mike.

“What’s going on?” Roman muttered looking worried.

“We’ve planned a little surprise.” Mike told them.

“Mike.” Ella groaned.

“Well mostly the kids planned it. You are to go get changed and to report here in 30 minutes.” He told them. “I believe that Sophie is ready to do your hair Mum and Sammy has laid out your suit Dad.”

“A suit?” Roman groaned.

Ella tugged on his hand.

“Come on grumpy.” She called out leading him up the stairs. She lowered her voice as she spoke next. “I need to wash off this sand anyway.”

Roman laughed and ran after her up the stairs.

Mike grinned as he watched them before heading out through to the back.

“Was that them?” Sophie said excitedly.

“Yes it was.” Mike murmured still grinning. “Give them ten minutes then you can go and see if Mum needs her hair doing.”

She nodded and looked down the garden to the table they had set up a table and two chairs. Candles were set all the way around them including some that were already lit and floating in the swimming pool.

Meggy ran over to them with a bunch of flowers in her hands.

“I got these.” She said quickly. “Is there that vase that Daddy bought her as a wedding present?”

Mike looked at them.

“I think it’s in the Cabinet in the lounge.” He said frowning. “Do you really want to use that one?”

Meggy and Sophie nodded.

Mike nodded and moved through to get it while Sophie and Meggy went into the kitchen. Meggy placed the flowers on the top and spread them out handing some to Sophie just as Mike brought back the vase.

“Can you put some water in it please?” Meggy asked him.

Mike nodded and moved over to the sink three quarter filling the vase. He put it on the top inbetween the two girls and watched as they arranged the flowers carefully.

“Want me to put it on the table?” he asked when they finished.

Meggy nodded biting her bottom lip.

“What’s up Megs?” he asked.

“Think she’ll like this?” she asked. “The dinner and everything.”

“I think she’ll love it.” Sophie told her sister. “You know they’ve been taking about going out to dinner for ages.”

Meggy looked at her still looking worried.

“But Mummy isn’t very happy.” She said quietly.

“That’s why Daddy said today was going to be a pamper day for her.” Sophie grinned.

Mike looked at them before picking up the vase. He carried it down the garden and placed it in the centre of the table moving the crystal candlesticks carefully either side of them.

“It looks good.” Danni said softly moving to his side.

Mike gave her a look before moving over to her and taking her in his arms.

“What say we go out on Saturday for dinner?” he asked her. “Get all dressed up.”

Danni smiled at him and rested her head on his shoulder.

“Might be nice to spend some time together.” She murmured.

“Nice?” he paraphrased. “I think it’ll be wonderful.”

She gave a soft chuckle before lifting her head for his kiss.

“Alright you two. This is supposed to be for Mum and Dad.” Gabby called out.

Danni looked over at her sister and raised an eyebrow.

“Is your bag packed?”

“Laugh it up sister dearest. Just you wait until it’s your turn.” Gabby groaned placing her hand on her back and rubbing. “I’m not due for 6 weeks and first babies are usually late.”

“Tell that to Amy-Belle.” Mike said quickly.

“Exception that proves the rule.” Gabby grinned. “Anyway I wouldn’t think that you’d be very happy to have a screaming brat in the place.”

“You aren’t that bad.” Mike punned.

Gabby glared at him.

“Haven’t you learned yet not to mock a pregnant woman?” Gabby said to him.

He looked at her and smiled.

“I was SAS I’m used to danger.” He murmured. “Now then did you come to tell us that dinner is cooked?”

Danni nodded.

“It’s all ready.” She said quietly. “Not sure what Roman will make of our cooking though.”

“He’ll love the effort.” Mike told them softly.

He kissed Danni once more and smiled over at Gabby before watching Meggy run over to them.

“Sophie is doing Mum’s hair.” She cried out excitedly.

“I better give the boys a hand with the bar.” Mike murmured nodding towards where Georgie and Sammy were setting up a bar using a patio table and some chairs. He walked over towards them smiling as Sammy set out bottles of juice and Georgie stacked up a pile of beakers.

“Looks good.” Mike said. “How about we get a bowl out and put some ice in it?”

Georgie nodded and ran inside to the house to do that.

“If you go over to Danni she’ll give you a cocktail shaker set.” Mike told Sammy.

“Cool can we make cocktails?” he asked.

“You can have a go.” Mike murmured.

Sammy grinned before he ran off in the direction of the pool house.

“Where is he going?” Georgie asked walking carefully across the grass with the bowl of ice. He’d remembered to put a spoon in the bowl so he could get the ice out when needed.

“To fetch something from mine.” Mike told him. “All set?”

Georgie nodded.

“I heard Dad coming down the stairs.” He murmured glancing back at the house.

“Ok action stations.” Mike said watching as Georgie picked up a white tea towel and placed that over his arm and straightened up his waistcoat.

“I’ll go to him.” Georgie announced running back into the house. He saw his dad standing in the hallway. “Sir if you’d like to follow me I’ll take you out to the bar.” He announced in a posh voice.

Roman smiled.

“I’m expecting a guest.” He told him playing his part.

“Certainly sir.” Georgie murmured turning and walking ahead of him out to the bar.

Roman followed him through to the garden smiling some more when he saw the makeshift bar. He glanced around and saw the table set up by the swimming pool and gave them a grin.

“What would you like to drink?” Sammy asked from behind the bar.

“Can I get some…” Roman murmured. “How about your surprise me?” he suggested in the end.

Sammy grinned and began to pour juices into the cocktail shaker. He spooned ice into a beaker before fixing the lid on the cocktail shaker and mixing the drink. He poured it out over the ice and handed that to his Dad.

“There you go sir.” He said with a grin.

“Thank you.” Roman said to him and took a drink. He raised an eyebrow. “This is pretty good.”

Sammy grinned and looked behind him his mouth dropping open.

“Mummy looks wow.” He said before he could stop himself.

Roman spun on the chair his own mouth dropping open as he saw Ella walking towards him.

“She certainly does.” He told Sammy.

He stood up as she stepped towards him and he noticed that she was wearing the same shoes that she wore on their wedding day and couldn’t hide his smile. He looked up from her feet and to the long silver dress she had on. A quiver of recognition went through him but for the moment he couldn’t place when he’d last see her wear it.

“Hello.” She said to him feeling strangely nervous.

Roman looked at her and smiled as he stood up and took hold of her hand.

“Hey you.” He called out to her softly. “You look beautiful.”

“Thank you.” She said touching her hair nervously. Sophie had sprayed it with a glitter hairspray and curling it letting it fall back from her face in a dark halo.

“Mum!” Sophie called.

“Well I can’t help it.” Ella muttered biting her lip.

Roman tugged on her hand and she looked at him.

“Less of the lip biting.” He murmured near her ear. “How about giving me one of your smiles?”

Ella looked at him before she grinned over at him groaning when he took the opportunity to kiss off her lip gloss.

“Roman.” She muttered.

“Much better.” He commented.

She raised an eyebrow as she looked at him.

“I can’t believe that you still enjoy doing that.” She muttered.

He smiled at her.

“Can I get you a drink madam?” Sammy called out.

Ella grinned at him.

“What do you recommend?” she asked him.

Sammy looked at her before looking at the juices he had behind him.

“Perhaps some nice chilled orange?” he asked her.

“Sounds perfect.” She told him and watched him put ice in a beaker before adding orange juice to it. He picked up a straw and placed that in the beaker before handing it to her.

“It’s really good thank you.” She said watching him grin.

Roman led her over to a seat and sat with her while they finished their drinks.

“So what are we going to do tomorrow?” he asked her.

“I think we should take a walk somewhere.” Ella suggested.

“How about a picnic on the beach?” Roman added.

“Sounds good. How about a game of cricket?”

“And some surfing.” Georgie added before he could stop himself.

Ella laughed.

“Er…. Your table is ready.” Georgie said trying to get his composure back.

Ella grinned at him and stood slowly taking hold of Roman’s hand as Georgie showed them down the garden.

“Here is your wine list.” Georgie said handing over a piece of paper with one of Lily’s drawings on. Ella smiled as she recognised a bottle although she wasn’t quite certain that the thing next to it was a glass though. She looked at the careful wording recognising Meggy’s handwriting. Lily had tried to copy the letters underneath it.

“I think I might have the pink fizz.” Ella murmured handing it to Roman.

“Sounds pretty good.” Roman murmured looking down at the list and smiling “Same for me.”

Georgie nodded and took the wine list with him as he moved away.

“Was that Lily trying to write?” he asked.

Ella nodded.

“So she can read and is doing her letters.” Roman said sounding impressed. “And she’s only 2.”

“She’s special.” Ella told him.

“Little miracle.” Roman agreed with her. “Funny how we are talking about the kids.”

“Not much else to talk about. I suppose.” Ella sighed.

“New years is coming up how about we think about resolutions?” he suggested.

Ella looked at him.

“Do I have any bad habits I need to work on?”

“Like I’m going to answer that?” Roman grinned at her. “I can spell divorce.”

Ella giggled looking down at their joined hands.

”Ok then. Next year I want to do some surfing.” Ella said softly.

“Is that all? How about get fit.”

She grinned at him.

“With four kids under three?” she asked him.

“I mean go to the gym. Together.”

“You enjoyed that didn’t you?” she asked him.

Roman nodded.

“Reminded me a lot of when we first got married.” He said stroking the wedding band on her finger.

“Do you ever have moments where you regret us having kids?” she asked him.

“Whatever sort of question is that to ask me?” Roman muttered looking at her. “Of course I don’t regret them.”

“Are you sure?” She smiled at him. “Because you do seem to hark on about when we were first married a lot sometimes.”

“I do?” Roman asked her. “Maybe because you were so happy then and I’ll do anything to make you that happy again.”

“Good save.” Ella murmured. “But you know we can’t go back don’t you.”

“I don’t want to go back not really I just feel selfish that I spent years taking you for granted. I sat back congratulating myself on how you were the perfect wife and mother and how wonderful my life was without ever thinking that maybe you weren’t so happy or even caring about what you gave up.”

“Woah.” Ella murmured looking at him.

“Yeah I know.” He gave her a little boy grin. “Make the most of it because I’ll probably go back to that selfish jerk next week.”

“Too late I’ve memorised every word.” She chuckled before standing up and kissing him.

“Ok.” he said softly. “More surfing, going to the gym. Study?”

“Please.” Ella shook her head. “When the twins start going to nursery I’ll go back to studying. How is that?”

“I’ll accept that.” He grinned over at her. “We can do it together.”

“What?” she gasped out.

Georgie walked over to the carrying an opened bottle of pink cava. He bit his lip as he poured it into their glasses.

“Thank you.” Roman said to him.

“Your meal will be served in a little while.” Georgie told them in a posh voice.

Ella smiled at her son.

“Thank you very much. “ she said quietly.

Georgie placed the bottle on the table and stepped away

“Back to what you were saying?”

Roman looked at her.

“When I went to the university to ask about your studying they looked up my record and I have learning credits from my time in the army.” He explained.

“Very impressive. I thought you didn’t do book smarts?” Ella said to him.

He shrugged.

“I could do an accountancy course to help with the books.” He found himself suggesting.

“Or you could do art.” Ella pointed out. “Seems to me that would be more enjoyable than numbers.”

“How is that helpful?” he asked her.

“Like I’m going to use a degree in English.” She grinned at him.

“I don’t know maybe if you did more books?” he murmured.

“Where is this discussion going?” Ella asked letting go off his hand so she could pick up her glass and take a drink. She gave a little gasp when Meggy and Sophie came out of the pool house in their bridesmaid dresses each of them carrying a tray.

Roman grinned at her sitting back himself.

“Tomato and mozzarella.” Meggy told them.

“Sounds good.” Roman said to his daughter.

She placed her plate in front of her mother and stepped aside to let Sophie put hers in front of Roman.

“Enjoy.” Sophie said stepping back and away. Meggy giggled before she followed her sister back into the pool house.

“Now then what were you saying?” Roman asked. “Er let me see. How about you doing some photography?” he said smiling at her. “There should be plenty of landscapes around the area that you could do day trips to?”

Ella looked at him and shook her head before throwing her napkin on the table.

“What if I said I didn’t want to pick up a camera ever again?” she muttered glaring at him.

“I’d say ok.” he murmured.

“Really?” she asked him her body language defensive.

“Yup.” He told her still smiling at her.

“Really?” she said again.

“Look if you really don’t want to go back to your photography then of course you can stay here and be my sex slave.”

“You!” she gasped out laughing.

Roman leaned forward and kissed her.

“Why don’t you teach that daughter of ours how to use her camera and see if you want to pick up your camera again?” he suggested. “And that is my last word on it.”

“I somehow don’t think so.”

“My last word this year?” he murmured grinning.

She chuckled and picked up her napkin again placing it over her lap.

“I know you are only nagging me because you feel guilty about me not doing photography but I really don’t know if I can.”

“And the more I go on about it the worse you feel?” Roman asked and saw her nod.

“Something like that.”

“I can’t help it.” he speared some tomato and looked over at her. “It’s part of you El, I love that you let me see you work. And I love that expression on your face when you are working. It’s like...” he paused looking at her. “Pure joy.”

“So that is why you want me to go back to it?” she asked him.

He nodded.

“I know that a perfect day spend with us is just as good in your opinion and I can’t compete with that.” Roman said softly. “I just know that photography used to mean the world to you and there is no reason why you can’t have both.”

“Time to change the subject.”

Roman nodded and lifted her hand and kissed it.

“Ok I enjoyed this afternoon.”

“I noticed.” Ella shot back blushing.

“That’s a special place.” He murmured softly. “I love it when you suggest going there.”

“Uh huh mister.”

“Have you finished?” Meggy asked.

“Just about.” Ella grinned at her daughter.

Sophie moved to stand next to Meggy.

“Your next course is ready.” She announced.

“Here.” Roman handed over his plate being careful with the knife and fork.

Meggy grinned and took it from him moved into the house. Ella took a last bite of the mozzarella before handing over her plate to Sophie. She smiled watching her daughter walking confidently into the house.

“Good job we made up.” Roman said to her.

Ella laughed.

“We always make up.” She told him.

“I’d like it if we didn’t do so much of the arguing.” He murmured. “I get why you say some of the things to me El, I really do but it still hurts.”

“I’m sorry.” Ella said immediately tugging on his hand so that he focused on her.

“El?”

“I hate that you call me that like you’re expecting me to fall apart. I hate yelling at you that I want a divorce because I’ve been without you and it sucks. Even when it is so bad that I can’t see a way back I still know that I love you.” She said to him. “I hate that we can’t seem to get past blaming each other when something goes wrong.”

Roman looked into her eyes and gave her a smile.

“Still think I…” he began stopping when the girls brought out the next course.

“Potatoes, roasted vegetables and a cream sauce.” Sophie announced. “Enjoy.”

“Thank you.” Ella called.

Roman smiled at them and waited for them to go back before he spoke again.

“I blamed you for what happened with the twins?” he asked.

Ella looked at him and saw the expression on his face.

“Yes.” She told him.

Roman nodded trying to work out what to say next.

“I did to some extent.” He finally said. “If you’d been home then you might not have gone into labour.”

She dropped her cutlery on to the plate her appetite totally gone.

“So it is my fault? “ she whispered.

“El don’t do this.” Roman said reaching to take hold of her hand. “Do you think that I don’t blame myself just as much? Why weren’t you home where you should have been? Because I let another woman come between us. I feel sure that I never slept with her but we just don’t know. Instead of sorting out what happened 6 years ago I let it slide because that way I didn’t have to face up to it.”

“No you can’t do this.” Ella shot out. “You can’t say it because of that or because of this.”

“Why can’t I.” He asked her stung by her tone.

“Because you’re going to come out with I should have told you about Gardy all those years ago.” Ella cried out paling.

“Ella.” Roman said sharply. “Maybe you should have told me about Gardy but that wouldn’t have changed what happened. He would have been twice as pissed with me. Once because of you and the second time because I ripped his head off before I kicked him out of the unit.”

She looked up at him.

“Really?” she asked.

“El you know you are my life. There is nothing that I wouldn’t do for you. It just so happens that sometimes I do things you wouldn’t agree with and you do the same. But hopefully we love each other enough to be able to get passed all that.” He told her.

She finally reached out for his hand and gave it a squeeze.

“Ok then.” She said simply.

“Eat your dinner or the kids will be upset.” He said quietly.

Ella picked up her fork and loaded it up with food.

“Name the top three things you would change about yourself?” she said to him.

“About me? Surely that should be the top three things I’d want to change about you?”

Ella shook her head as she chewed her food before swallowing.

“Nope and photography is only one thing even if you say it three times.”

He looked at her and laughed.

“Ok then, mornings. I’d like to stop feeling guilty when I switch off the alarm and snuggle up with you for a bit longer.”

“That’s one.” She murmured.

“Feeling guilty about the kids.” He said. “And well that is two lots of guilt there.”

Ella nodded.

“I noticed. But in what way guilty?”

“Don’t get me wrong I love all of our kids and I’m just as much to blame that we have so many.”

“Maybe.” Ella told him and saw the instant flash of jealousy on his face.

“Uh huh.” He muttered. “I just don’t think that I can spend enough time with them.”

“Do you need to?” she asked him.

“Now there is a leading question.” He muttered.

“Well if there is a problem they come to us. Georgie goes running with you and now surfing. Sammy too. Sophie and Meggy are becoming girlie girls. Lily is a little smart alec, and Liam is a little prince. I bet there is something you can tell me about all of our kids that I don’t know.” She told him.

“See this is it. I feel bad about something and you try and make me feel better.” He murmured caressing her fingers.

“Number three?” Ella asked him grinning.

He looked at her and sighed.

“Fine, my artwork I suppose.” He admitted. “I enjoyed painting the flower for Lily. It was like…”

Ella looked at him and smiled.

“Like getting back to a part of yourself?” she asked him. “That’s why you go on about my photography so much isn’t it?” she asked with new understanding.

Roman looked at her before nodding slowly.

“Now then. Three things you would change about you.” He said back to her.

She looked at him.

“Are you saying I’m not perfect?”

“I know how this conversation goes. Either I’m in the wrong or alternatively I’m in the wrong.” He told her placing his fork down on his cleared plate.

“Uh huh.” She grinned.

“Come on.” He told her.

“Ok three things? Feeling that whatever I do isn’t good enough.” She began. “Feeling scared sometimes.” She gave him a look. “You know.” She added in a whisper.

Roman nodded.

“And the third thing?” he prompted.

She gave him a broad smile.

“Not spending enough time with the kids.” She told him giggling first at his expression before laughing with him.

“Snap.” He told her.

She placed her fork on her plate before lifting his hand to her lips and kissing it softly.

“Typical parent stuff I suppose.” She said quietly. “But they can’t be too bad if they can do something like this for us.”

Roman reached over and poured out more drinks for them glancing over as Meggy and Sophie walked towards them.

“That was lovely Sophie.” Ella told her. “And I’m sure that you’ve got something nice planned for our desert but we would like to spend some time with our wonderful children.”

“So you better get us the bill so we can pay it and go home.” Roman said grinning as Sophie was convulsed by giggles.

“Shush, they are going to give us money.” Meggy cried out before she giggled too.

Ella beckoned her to her and smiled as she lifted Meggy on to her lap.

“Thank you so much.” Ella told her kissing her cheek.

“We just thought you needed some pampering.” Sophie explained. “Both of you. It was a very nice Christmas.”

“It was good.” Ella agreed. “And you all got spoiled.”

Meggy grinned.

“We know.” She said quickly. “We feel guilty that we don’t get you anything.”

“We don’t need anything do we?” Ella asked Roman.

“I don’t know about that.” He said. “I always wanted a guitar.”

Ella gave him a look.

“Thanks.” She muttered.

He laughed and stood up from his seat picking up the bottle and glasses.

“We’ll clear the table.” Sophie offered.

“Ok. But then everyone should come over.” Ella said to her.

She let Meggy stand up before she accepted Roman’s hand to help her from her chair. He put his arm around her and led her inside.

“Happy?” she asked him.

“Maybe.” He replied. “Seems like we’re missing a few of the kids.”

“Perhaps they sold Lily and Liam so that they could pay for the dinner.”

Roman sighed looking at her.

“Pity they couldn’t ….” He stopped grinning as Meggy stood in the doorway her arms folded across herself.

“Lily and Liam are upstairs. Marcus is babysitting.” She explained. “Like we would sell them.”

“Yeah.” Sammy agreed. “Besides they brought them back and asked for a refund.”

There is some good news :D and some bad news.... :ph34r:

The good news is that I've been up all night writing you another chapter..... :wub:

The bad news is that.... I'm going away for the next month..... But hey, Laura you are away too so you won't miss much and well Pollymoon you've been banned a couple of times now so I'm not sure why you are still coming in here.... :wink: so anyway enjoy the update but if you think you'll miss this story well you could like read a word a day....I might be back by the time you've read it all!

Love Tele

xx

Chapter 84

Ella woke slowly and looked over at Roman’s profile. She smiled and ran her finger along his forehead and down his nose chuckling when he grinned at her. Her finger continued its travelling down his face tracing his lips. She laughed when he opened his mouth and captured her wondering finger sucking on it.

“Morning.” She whispered to him.

“Morning.” He replied releasing her finger. “Are we switching off the alarm?”

She shook her head.

“We’re not?” he asked her grabbing hold of her hand and stroking down his body until he let it rest in a particular place.

She raised her eyebrows as she looked at him.

“Didn’t you get enough last night?” she asked him in a slow whisper beginning to stroke him.

“Ouh.” He murmured. “Just what is your definition of enough?”

She grinned at him before leaning over to kiss him.

“Can’t switch off the alarm.” She told him seeing disappointment cross his face. “Because I never set it in the first place.”

Roman threw back his head on the pillow and laughed before letting out a slow moan as her hand continued to caress him intimately.

“That feels good.” He told her huskily.

“I should think so.” She murmured. “So tell me what you like.” She added in a seductive whisper.

“You.” He replied immediately. “I like you. Your hands. Your mouth. Your body.”

Ella laughed that slow sexy husky laugh and he felt even more turned on.

“God you have no idea what you are doing to me.” He ground out.

“Oh I think I have some idea.” She whispered close to his ear.

She let her tongue lick that little spot behind his ear that he loved and she heard him let lose a small moan.

“I need you.” He groaned. “Make love to me Ella.”

She giggled before leaning over and kissing him.

“What if I don’t want to make love?” she asked against his lips.

“You have a funny way of showing it.” he muttered his hands reaching for her. He lifted her astride him and ripped off her nightdress pulling it over her head.

“Perfect.” He told her.

“Now you owe me another nightdress.” She told him frowning.

“It’s your fault you shouldn’t make me so hot for you.” He told her grinning as she blushed.

He reached out and scrambled in the bedside cabinet for protection finding one in the corner of the drawer. He groaned again when Ella took it from his hands and opened it slowly, teasingly.

“You in a hurry?” she asked him.

Roman looked at her and nodded.

“I need you now.” He told her.

She laughed again leaning down to kiss him before easing the sheath on to him. He moaned at her touch.

“Like that?” she asked him.

“You know I do.” He murmured slowly.

“Want some more?”

Roman shook his head.

“No I want you.” He told her. “Make love to me please.” He asked.

She grinned again before lowering her lips to his.

He kissed her hungrily his hands on her hips.

“Yes.” She whispered.

He lifted her then and lowered her on to him joining with her. He gave a contented sigh that turned into a moan as she moved.

“Ella I love you.” He murmured lifting his hands to her face and pushing back her hair. He gazed deeply into her eyes before their lips met again.

Jacko and Pete sat at the long pine table at Miles’ house. A laptop sitting open in front of them while they had an online chat with James. None of the three were looking too happy.

“You should tell them.” James said from their office in the city. Strangely it was not that far away from Ella’s studio.

“Thanks for that. How come you are never here to give them the bad news?” Jacko asked laying his chin on her folded arms.

“Because I’m married.” James told them.

“And that works how?” Pete asked him.

“Well I get grief all year round so you kind gentlemen tend to protect me from Ella.”

Jacko let out a short bark of laughter.

“How you getting on with her anyway?” James asked giving Jacko a look.

“Some reason you are asking me in particular?” Jacko asked raising an eyebrow.

“Might be.” James said looking at him before making kissing sounds against his own hand.

“Alright pack it up.” Pete muttered leaning back in his seat.

“Are we sure about this?” Jacko asked him.

“Pretty sure mate. I picked up the CCTV the night the baby was dropping off in emergency. There were two people in the car. The driver and the woman.”

“So the driver is probably Gardy’s brother.” Jacko said.

“Can’t be certain. I’ve tried enhancing the film.”

“James I heard about this new software that puts in missing pixels.” Pete murmured.

“Yeah I’m trying something along those lines. Trouble is we don’t have a picture to compare it to.”

“How do we get one?” Jacko asked.

“Well.” James smiled looking down the camera.

“You’ve got an idea?” Pete gave his old comrade a knowing look.

“Would one of you nice gentlemen like to sweet talk Charlie into doing us a favour?” James said softly.

“Pete.” Jacko volunteered his friend.

“Ok Pete. It seems that you can’t actually get into the database that holds the licensing information unless you are police.”

“James you devil.” Pete muttered. “I’ll speak to her. Blitz me all the information we have on his aliases.”

“Will do. Give my best to Hardcore.” James said with a glance at his watch. “Got to go spend some time with the wife before she calls the divorce solicitor.”

“See you mate.” Pete said ending the connection.

“So we get to go tell Ella and Roman that we don’t have anything new on the kidnapping.” Jacko muttered rubbing his face. “Pete old friend I don’t think I can keep this up.”

“Jacko what is it?”

“You think that loving Ella just goes away.” Jacko said lowering his head to his arms again.

“I think that Ella wouldn’t want you to be upset.” Pete said quietly folding his arms. “Even when she was free she was still into Hardcore.”

“I know that. It isn’t like I was waiting for her to drop into my arms.” Jacko murmured. “I just…”

“I know old mate. Don’t have to say it.” Pete stood and took his cup into the kitchen. “Better go have a shave and sort myself out if I’m smoozing that lady cop.”

Jacko laughed at the look on Pete’s face.

“Maybe Lily will get to be bridesmaid again.” Jacko murmured standing and moving to the door.

“You is definitely hanging around that Ella too much.” Pete called to him before making for the stairs.

Jacko laughed.

“Morning.” Ella called out moving behind Roman as he was stood at the cooker.

“Behave or your omelette will burn.” He said before tilting his head and kissing her. “Hey you.” He added softly.

“You’ve shaved.” She noticed.

He nodded.

“Just for you so …”

Ella smiled and gave him another kiss before reaching for the coffee pot. She poured out a cup for herself before topping his up.

“Thank you.” He told her watching her move to the dinning table.

“Hey you.” Ella grinned at Lily.

“Mama.” Lily cried out. “Crispies?”

“Ah bless Lily girl, do you want crispies like Marcus?” Ella chuckled at her daughter as she gave her a sweet smile.

“They are Marcus’ favourite. If he says yes you can have them.” Ella told her.

Marcus looked up.

“I warn you though if she has them Liam will want them.” Ella said softly to him.

“They can have some.” Marcus said quietly.

“Sure?” she asked him and grinned as he nodded. “Hear that Lils?”

Lily nodded and grinned. She lifted her hand to her mouth and blew a noisy kiss in Marcus’ direction.

“Thank you Lily.” Marcus said blushing.

Roman came out of the kitchen and placed a plate in front of Ella. He bent down and kissed her again causing Sammy to giggle.

“What’s that?” Roman asked mock growling at his son.

“You and Mummy are happy.” Sammy told him.

“K-I-S-S-I-N-G!” Meggy sang out.

Sophie looked at her sister and grinned.

“Alright you lot you’ve seen us kiss before.” Ella said to them.

“We know.” Georgie said looking up from his surfing magazine. “But its nice to see.”

“uh huh.” Ella murmured.

Roman smiled before he fetched two fresh bowls for Lily and Liam. He poured out a small portion of crispies for them before placing them in front of them. Taking the milk jug he tipped some in and chuckled at the babies expressions.

“Are you bringing Fleur home soon?” Sophie asked.

Ella reached out and put her hand on Roman’s back.

“In a couple of days?” she said in the form of a question.

Roman nodded.

“Shall we sort out bedrooms today?” he asked her. “We can decorate the spare room and put Lily and Liam in there.”

“Have to go shopping and buy Liam a bed.” Ella pointed out.

“We promised them a trip to the beach.”

“We could leave them there.” Ella said biting her lip.

Roman raised an eyebrow as he looked at his wife.

“We’ll be gone what an hour?” she said quietly her voice sounding uncertain. “Take Lily and Liam with us.”

“That would be cool.” Meggy exclaimed.

Roman shared a look with Ella.

“Really?” he asked her.

She bit her lip again before nodding slowly.

“Ok then.” He murmured. “When you have finished breakfast you should go get your swimming stuff.” He told the kids.

“Yeh!” Georgie exclaimed excitedly.

“No surfing without one of us with your Georgie Joseph Harris.” Ella muttered. “This is a big thing for me ok, so I really need you to watch out for each other and be careful.”

Sophie nodded.

“I’ll keep an eye on them.” she said sounding grown up.

Roman looked at them before looking back at Ella. He could already tell she was regretting the decision.

“El.” He murmured quietly.

She looked at him with frightened eyes before glancing down at her plate and trying to eat the omelette on her plate. He leaned down and kissed her cheek before moving back into the kitchen and tidied all the tops. He kept an eye on her before moving out the back and pulling out his phone texting Jacko. His phone beeped straight away and he grinned as he read the incoming message.

Ella stood and took her plate through to the kitchen.

“Georgie clear the table please.” She murmured turning and moving over to where Roman was standing.

He put his arm around her immediately.

“Jacko has said he’ll be with them.” he told her.

“That doesn’t seem very fair.” Ella frowned.

“Uh huh.” Roman smiled at her before kissing her again. “He’ll be at the diner so nearby and keeping an eye on them.”

“Oh well.” She sighed with relief.

“Thought that would suit you.” He told her.

“Thank you.” She told him.

Roman chuckled and pulled her tight against him as he kissed her again.

“Enough of that we’ve only just had breakfast.” Sammy called out.

“Are you ready?” Roman asked him.

Sammy groaned and turned around running out of the kitchen and up the stairs.

Ella chuckled at her son before easing away from Roman and moving to the stairs. She went up them and into the nursery looking around it. She stood there lost in thought not noticing Roman moving behind her.

“Wallpaper.” Ella said quietly.

“What’s that?” he asked seeing her start in shock.

“Wallpaper.” She whispered croakily. “So that we don’t lose her flower.”

Roman sighed pulling Ella into his arms.

“What is it?” he asked her.

“They are growing up.” She murmured. “What if we never get August back? She’ll grown up not knowing us and not knowing her wonderful brothers and sisters.”

“Oh El, I know that is a possibility but you can’t give up.”

She shook her head at him

“I’m not giving up. I’m trying to face up to…” Ella said and took a deep breath.

“Wallpaper.” Roman said softly.

“I don’t want Lily to lose her flower.” Ella said quietly. “And I want the kids to put their names in here. I want this room, this house, to remember all the children it protected over the years. Maybe in the future some other family will live here and look at the names and know this was a house filled with love.”

Roman gave a strangled cry as the emotion got to him. He stepped forward and took Ella into his arms holding her tight as he cried.

Well it seems that I did get a chance to write another Chapter before I went... This one is for Carina, KitKat1992, Hannah-K, Saraz, Vicky2000 and anyone else reading this... Now I really am going on holiday!!

Chapter 85

Ella looked over at the children playing on the beach as she let Lily and Liam climb out of the car.

“Lily play?” Lily asked.

“When are we going to teach her to use pronouns?” Roman asked smiling at Ella.

“Oh after advanced physics but before pure mathematics.” She murmured reaching to help out Liam next.

“Go find them.” Roman told his kids pointing across the beach.

Ella took out her bag and hoisted it on to her shoulder before locking the car.

“Funny thing is I’m not entirely sure you were just joking.” Roman muttered his arms folded.

Ella smiled.

“You should be proud that you have smart kids.” She pointed out.

“Oh I’m very proud.” Roman said looking at her. His eyes fused with hers once more in that intense look they had been sharing all day. “But I would like to be able to follow a conversation every now and then.” He added giving her a pout.

“You!” she groaned and pushed at him before walking on to the hot sand. She kicked off her sandals and wriggled her toes sighing happily before bending to collect her shoes.

“Lets go see what they have been up to?” he told her taking hold of her free hand.

“Do we have to?” Ella asked him. “It’s so peaceful at the moment.”

Roman laughed as they walked towards the children.

“Daddy!” Meggy cried out running over to him.

“Hey.” Roman answered her and let go of El’s hand so he could pick up his daughter and swing her round. He heard her giggle before pulling her close and holding her. “Have you had a good time troublemaker?”

“the bestest.” She murmured grinned. “And we didn’t even mind Jacko watching us.”

“Busted.” Roman said to Ella.

She grinned at her daughter who was beaming.

“Hey kids.” Ella called out.

Sophie ran to her side and hugged her.

“Where is Sammy?” Ella asked.

“He’s over there.” Sophie said with a wave of her hand.

Ella looked where Sophie had gestured and frowned, narrowing her eyes.

“I can’t see him.” she said to her.

Roman put his hand out to Ella.

“He’s here somewhere.” He told her.

“Sammy.” Ella shouted.

“Mum you’re embarrassing us.” Sophie cried out.

“Sammy!” She called out more urgently.

She began running along the beach looking for her son feeling a sense of dread going through her. She remembered all the dreams she had that someone had taken him long after the kidnap and his subsequent return.

“Sammy!” she shouted again.

Roman kissed the top of Meggy’s head and lowered her to her feet before rushing over to Ella’s side.

“He’s here somewhere.” He said trying to focus her attention on him. He knew her fears about their son and he’d held her many nights when she’d had nightmares.

“He’s not here.” Ella cried out wringing her hands together agitatedly.

“Ella calm down and focus.” Roman said grabbing hold of her and giving her a little shake.

“Mummy.” Sophie muttered feeling guilty.

“It’s ok Sophie.” Roman said quietly. “Where did you see him last?”

“He and Georgie were taking Marcus to the rock pools. I was staying with Meggy.” She murmured looking guiltily at her mother. “I know you told us to stay together but we thought that would be ok.”

Ella shook her head.

“We should go home.” She told Roman. “All of us.”

“No.” he replied seeing the almost comical change of expression on her face as she began glaring at him. “The three boys are together. When they come back you can speak to them about how you expected them to stay together and that you are disappointed in them.”

She continued to look at him as he spoke.

“Meanwhile we’ll send Sophie and Meggy over to the dinner to fetch us some cold drinks while we settle Lily and Liam down. They are a bit upset.”

Ella glared at him some more before glancing at her two babies. She pulled away from Roman and moved to take hold of Lily’s hand, dropping her sandals so she could hold Liam’s hand too as she walked them over to the towels already set out on the beach.

“I’m sorry Daddy.” Sophie said again.

“That’s ok.” he told his daughter. “Here is some money. Get juice boxes for the babies and cans of soda for everyone else."

She nodded and looked at Meggy before the two girls ran off.

“Did I overreact?” Ella asked him as she changed Lily into her bathers.

“A little.” Roman murmured sitting next to her. “But understandably so. If Sophie had told you straight away that the boys had gone to the rock pools.”

Ella nodded.

“Maybe I would only have panicked a little.” She gave him a half smile.

Roman leaned over and kissed her.

“Ok?” he asked her looking into her eyes.

She nodded.

“I was just so scared you know.”

“I know.” Roman murmured. “I liked it when your eyes flashed fire at me but you didn’t scream.”

Ella giggled.

“Mama happy now?” Lily asked.

“Sorry sweetie, Mama was worried because Sammy was missing.”

“Sammy gone?” Lily asked frowning.

“He’s gone to see the rock pools.” Ella explained. “But Mama got worried for a minute. Are you ready for stuff?”

Lily squealed.

“I hates stuff.” She said pouting.

Ella grinned before reaching for the sun lotion and spraying it all over her daughter before rubbing it in.

“All done.” Ella told her.

“Mama swims?” Lily asked.

“In a minute. Mama has to see to Liam.”

Lily nodded and sat down next to her watching carefully as Ella changed Liam into his swim shorts. She reached for the sun spray and grinned as Liam screwed up his eyes. She sprayed him quickly and rubbed it in before letting him go.

“Now Mama?” Lily asked her.

“How about Daddy?” Ella said to her. “Take Daddy swimming?”

Lily tilted her head to one side and looked over at her Dad.

“Dada?” she asked.

Roman pulled off his T-shirt and kicked off his trainers before placing his wallet and phone from his pockets and putting them into Ella’s bag.

“Thanks dear.” Ella murmured to him.

He grinned at her before holding out his hand to Lily and leading her down the beach. Liam toddled after him laughing.

“Mummy we got sodas.” Meggy said quietly carrying them over to her. Sophie had cans too and the juice boxes for the babies.

“Thank you.” Ella said to them helping them with the drinks. She picked up a can of diet coke and opened it taking a long drink.

“We’re…” Sophie began to apologise again.

“Enough.” Ella murmured holding her hand up to stop them talking. “Now are you swimming or sunbathing?” she asked changing the subject.

“We’re swimming.” Meggy grinned.

“Off you go then. Your Dad is down there with the babies.” Ella murmured pointing. The two girls ran down to the sea giggling. They bent down and scooped up water throwing it at their Dad. Ella laughed when she saw his expression.

“Alright Missy!” Roman growled out. He turned and picked Meggy up running through the waves with her until it was deep enough to dunk her.

“Daddy no!” she shrieked laughing.

He laughed and turned looking at Sophie. His Sophie. His baby daughter Sophie who was wearing a bikini. He tried to put that out of his head but he’d already noticed some boys on the beach looking at her and he growled.

“Daddy no, I’ve done my hair and everything.” She murmured holding out her hands.

He nodded.

“Be able to do it again later.” He said to her as he walked towards her.

She shook her head and began running.

Lily clapped her hands and giggled before clapping down on top of the water splashing her dad.

“Not you too Lily squeals?” Roman asked.

“Dada no.” she said grinning at him.

Liam laughed before he splashed too. Roman let himself fall into the surf as the babies continued to splash him before he stood and crept up behind Sophie. He caught her round her waist and lifted her up running into deeper water and dropping her into it.

“You!” she shrieked out pushing her hair back from her face.

Roman laughed at her, grinning as she smiled at him. She stood up, glancing down to make sure her bikini top was still in place before swimming out to where Meggy was.

He turned towards the babies and went back over to them.

“Are you swimming?” he asked.

Liam nodded.

“Want to go a little deeper?”

“Yes.” Liam told him moving over to him. He lay on his front and kicked before moving his arms splashing through the surf.

Sammy turned to Georgie and Marcus. He gave a little groan before speaking to them.

“It’s Mummy.” Sammy said gulping as he walked over to them.

“Yes it is and I’m not very happy.” Ella called out quietly.

“We kept together.” Sammy defended looking at Ella.

“Kept together in two separate groups.” Ella said softly. “You knew this was a big thing for me Samuel Rapheal Harris.”

He gulped and exchanged a look with the other two boys.

“Good job your Dad calmed me down isn’t it.” she said to him.

Sammy grinned and ran over to her.

“We talked about it before we went. Georgie came with us and Sophie stayed with Meggy and we came back exactly on time.” he explained.

“Do you want a drink?” she asked him pointing to the sodas.

They all nodded taking a can each.

“Did you bring the babies?” Marcus asked.

“They are over there look.” Ella explained pointing. ”And the girls are swimming.”

Georgie looked at her.

“Is it ok…” he began.

Ella handing him the car keys.

“We brought your body boards down if you want to use them.”

“Cool.” Georgie exclaimed.

“There might be one fore Marcus if he wants to try it.” Ella said looking at the other little boy.

“Cool!” Marcus exclaimed excitedly.

He and Georgie ran over to the car and collected them bringing back not three but five boards.

“For the girls?” Georgie asked.

Ella nodded.

“Come on Marcus we’ll show you how to use it.” Georgie cried out. He, Sammy and Marcus ran down to the surf with three of the boards. Ella watched them for a while before she lay back on the towels and closed her eyes. A little sun, a little catch up nap. Perfect.

Ok hands up who belived they would have to wait a month for an update?? As if I'm that cruel..... :ph34r: Thank you those who wished me a good holiday. I went over to see my parents in Spain for a long weekend. Anyway .... here's an update!!

Chapter 86

Ella woke up feeling a shadow cross over her face. She sat up and looked around her mouth opening to scream.

“I wouldn’t if I were you.” William Gardener spoke, his voice sounding eerily like his brothers.

“What do you want?” Ella snapped out looking for Roman. She dragged out her cover up from the cavernous bag she had next to her and pulled it over her head before standing.

“To talk to you of course.” He murmured.

Elal shook her head.

“I have nothing to say to you apart from give me my baby back.”

William threw back his head and laughed before reaching out and taking hold of Ella’s arm.

“Walk with me.” He demanded.

She glared at him feeling a sense of panic washing over her at his touch. She pulled uselessly at her arm.

“I said walk. Don’t worry we aren’t going far.” He murmured sounding menacing all the same.

Ella stumbled as she tried to walk with him. Her legs felt numb and it felt strange forcing them to work when she didn’t want to follow him at all. He reached out and caught hold of her with both hands supporting her weight as they moved. She gasped as the revulsion she felt made her feel nauseous. She tried to compose herself but the moment he let her go she pulled back from him and rubbed at her arms.

“What do you want?” she muttered.

“Your daughter.” he murmured calmly. He looked past her and over to where Roman was playing with the children before he sat down on one of the rocks. He motioned for her to do the same smiling when she disobeyed him and remained standing.

“You have my daughter.” Ella snapped out.

“Maybe I want the one that my brother fathered?” William said, once more sounding calm.

Ella flushed before she paled and glared at him.

“Roman is her father.” She snapped out.

Only the hope that she could somehow reason with him and get August back kept her standing there talking to him when she wanted to spin on her heel and run back to Roman.

William smiled at her, the same smile that Gardy had and she flinched feeling revulsion crawling over her skin. He pulled out a photograph from his back pocket and handed it to her.

“Our mother.” He commented. “You’ll notice the eyes.” He added.

Ella stepped back from his outstretched hand her eyes meeting his.

“No.” she gasped out. “Meggy is Roman’s.”

“Are you sure about that?” William said calmly. “Look at the photo Ella.”

She glanced at it dismissively before shock held her still and her eyes fused with the picture.

“That’s right.” He said slowly. “Look at her.”

Ella reached out and took the photo from him.

“Remind you of anyone?” he asked.

Ella found herself shaking as she looked down at the photo.

“You could have faked this.” She muttered.

He nodded before drawing out another photo and handed that over to her. She took it gingerly from his hand holding the corner. She saw too almost identical boys standing holding on to their mother’s hand. Seeing a picture of Gardy shook her more than she thought possible. She wanted to see innocence in his face but could see none and that turned her stomach so much that she dropped the photo and ran away. He didn’t follow but instead watched her leave with a savage smile on his face. He picked up the dropped picture and took out the envelope he’d prepared leaving that in it’s place before he moved off the beach and walked away.

Roman looked up sensing something wasn’t quite right. He gasped when he saw Ella running towards him. He called to Sophie to watch the little ones as he moved out of the sea and towards his wife.

“Ella what is it?” he asked.

“I hate you.” She gasped out. “You lied to me.”

“Ella what?” he said puzzled.

She glared at him before holding out a shaking hand.

Roman looked down and took the photo from her. He looked down and then back at her face a puzzled expression on his own.

“Tell me that Meggy is yours again?” she asked him sneering at him. “No wonder you picked a fight with me when I came home with the results.”

“Ella stop. I don’t’ know what this is about.” He said putting his hand out towards her.

She flinched away from him.

“He gave me that.” She began.

“William was here?” Roman asked his eyes scanning the beach.

Ella nodded.

“What happened?” he asked her reaching once more for her.

Ella stepped back from him.

“He told me he’ll give August back in exchange for Meggy. Gardy’s daughter.” Ella said her voice shaking with emotion.

“She’s not his daughter.” Roman muttered distracted by the photo. “This is not proof of anything.”

Ella folded her arms around herself before walking away from him leaving him standing there holding the photograph. Neither of them saw William standing at the top of the beach next to his car smiling at the way his bombshell had divided the couple.

“Ella Harris.” Roman called out stalking over to her he reached out and dragged her down sitting next to her on the towels. She glared at him pulling away.

“Meggy is my daughter.” he told her. “Yes I was going to fake the test results but I didn’t. “

She continued to look at him.

“This means nothing.” He continued. “It’s a photograph. Does she take after him? She’s our beautiful daughter Ella. Ours. Yours and mine and she was created when we made love after I came home.”

Ella continued to glare at him.

“Tell me what he said to you?” Roman said quietly seeing that his words had no effect.

Ella looked at him then and repeated the conversation pointing over to the rocks where William had dragged her.

Roman reached out once more kneeling in front of her he placed his fingers under her chin and forced her to look at him.

“Meggy is my daughter.” he told her again. “And no one is ever going to hurt her or take her away from me.”

Ella flinched and closed her eyes, shutting him out with that simple action and he swore before standing and moving away to the rocks. He saw the envelope immediately and looked at it carefully before picking it up by a corner conscious that there were possible fingerprints. He looked down and saw the footprints in the sand tracking them up to the car park at the top of the beach. Looking along there he saw the other man standing by his car. He gave Roman a wave before climbing into his car and pulling away. Roman swore some more and walked over to Ella.

She looked up at him.

“Has he gone?” she asked slowly.

Roman frowned before he spoke.

“Yes.” He told her.

“What’s that?” she asked him.

“He left us something. I haven’t opened it.”

Ella nodded again.

“We should think about getting the kids home.” He murmured for want of something to say.

“They have had about enough sun for today.” Ella mumbled.

Roman reached out and looked in her bag finding his T-shirt. He wrapped the envelope in it before standing and walking over to the sea calling out to the kids. He half smiled at the cries of reluctance as they moved towards him. Lily coming out of the sea last. She toddled over to her mother and jumped into her arms hugging her.

“What’s this Lily squeals?” Ella asked smiling.

“Mama needs hug.” She murmured quickly giving Ella a smile.

Roman turned his head hiding his own smile.

“And what does Lily want?” Ella asked slowly.

“More swims. Jus keep swimming.” She lisped quoting her favourite film.

Roman chuckled before bending down and putting a towel around his daughter. He and Ella shared a look when Lily glared at him.

“Lily we need to go home and sort out dinner.” Ella explained softly.

“No fairs.” She mumbled.

Roman stood up with her in his arms.

“Can you load up the car please?” he asked Georgie handing his son the keys once more.

His son nodded and collected all the body boards taking them over to the car before coming back for towels. Ella reached out and took Liam in her arms wrapping a towel around him before carrying him to the car. She placed him in his seat before moving back and collecting her shoes and picking up her bag. Roman walked with her carrying Lily. He placed his daughter in the car before stepping aside and watching as the rest of the kids got in the car. He collected the keys off Georgie and moved to the drivers seat.

He looked at Ella before double-checking that they had all the kids in the car seeing Ella give him a knowing look when his gaze returned to hers. He smiled at her before setting off home.

Chapter 87

Roman moved through to the bedroom and saw Ella sitting on the side of the bed. He moved to sit next to her feeling her shake and hating that she was hurting.

“El.” He began.

“Don’t start Roman.” Ella snapped out. “I really don’t want to hear anything right now. I’m going to lay down.”

“We should talk.” He began.

“About what?” she asked him. “The letter? The photograph? Or that you lie to me on a regular basis but still get upset when I do that same.”

“How about what you want for diner?” he murmured and grinned when she couldn’t stop the laugh that built up in her from escaping.

He reached out and once more hooked his fingers under her chin.

“I admit it I prepared fake papers to convince you Meggy was mine. But I never used them Ella. As soon as I saw our beautiful baby daughter I felt like she was mine. I wanted her to be mine and I knew that I didn’t care if she wasn’t because I was always going to love and protect her.”

Ella gave him a smile.

“I know.” She told him.

“Then why….” He began to ask. “It was what he wanted wasn’t it?” he worked out.

“Oh I am mad at you.” She told him.

“Uh huh.” He murmured.

Ella reached up and wrapped her arms around his neck pulling him closer.

“He wants us broken. So in public we should be. We should talk to the boys and see what next step we can take.” She told him quietly.

“Are you still talking?” he asked her. “Because I’m pretty sure I need some kissing here.”

Ella smiled before pressing her lips to his softly.

Roman sighed and pulled her closer to him moulding her body against his.

“I’m not sure I’m going to like this.” He whispered.

“It will be ok.” Ella soothed him.

“No.” he pulled back and looked into her eyes. “He wants us to hurt.”

“Not us.” Ella whispered. “Me. He wants me to hurt. He’s researched this. Knows about Sammy’s kidnapping so he took my babies. Knows that we were apart before Meggy was born so he’s worked out that I thought she was Gardy’s.”

“So he knows that when it gets rough we split up.” Roman said raising an eyebrow as he looked at her.

Ella nodded.

“It’s not you he’s after Roman and I believe that he doesn’t really want Meggy really.” She said quietly.

“So what does he want El?”

Ella shrugged.

“I guess we’ll find out.” she murmured unable to meet his gaze just then.

Roman nodded before kissing her again. He felt her shake in his arms and he gave a little moan before wrapping his arms around her tighter.

“I love you Ella.” He murmured.

“I know.” She said with her special smile.

He kissed her again.

“I better go see to the kids and let you have your lay down.” he said eventually.

“Could join me?” she whispered pressing her lips against the side of his neck.

“I could but you wouldn’t get much rest.” He told her.

Ella sighed and eased back watching as he walked out of the bedroom closing the door quietly.

Roman leaned back against the door and sighed. He could tell from the tone of her voice that she was planning something. He stepped over to the stairs and walked down them taking out his phone and calling Charlie. He explained the situation to her quickly before ringing off and calling Pete and telling him. He walked into the utility room and collected a pair of latex gloves before pulling them on. Next he took the envelope from out of his T-shirt and used a knife to open it. He saw a solicitors letter and he frowned as he read it before swearing.

“What is it?” Sophie asked walking into the kitchen.

“Just something that I need to deal with.” Roman told her giving her a smile.

“Really?” she murmured going to the fridge and taking out the juice. “Only you are frowning. Is Mum in bed?”

“She’s having a lay down why?”

“Just asking.” She shrugged and took a drink before looking over at him. “She looked a bit upset earlier.”

“No she’s fine.” Roman murmured.

“Uh huh.” Sophie murmured.

“Anyway what are you doing in a bikini Missy?” Roman said turning and looking at her. “I want you never to wear that again.”

“Ok dad.” Sophie said with a smile. “I’ll just swim naked.”

She tossed her hair back over her shoulder and flounced out.

Roman groaned.

“Got to admit she’s like her mother.” Jacko said from behind him.

“Her mother? Hell no I had a flashback to her sister.” Roman muttered with a groan.

Jacko laughed.

“That the letter Hardcore?” he asked pointed.

Roman nodded.

“There are more gloves in the utility room.” he informed the other man. “But I don’t think we’ll get much from it.”

Jacko walked past him and into the other room returning a moment later wearing gloves. He scanned the contents of the letter before swearing.

“I take it the Mrs hasn’t seen this?” he asked.

“How could you tell?” Roman asked moving around the kitchen as he made coffee.

“Oh the lack of bloodshed.” Jacko grinned.

Roman laughed before pouring the coffee. He handed Jacko his cup before taking a sip from his own.

“So what do you think I should do?” Roman asked him.

“Better tell the Mrs. Work out how to do this test.” Jacko said glancing into the lounge and making sure none of the kids were listening.

Roman smiled grimly his eyes back on the letter telling them this man wanted to perform a DNA test on their daughter, siting her birth 8 months after his brothers attack as probable cause to suspect her parentage.

“I can’t put Meggy through that.” He told Jacko. “She’s been through enough finding out about what happened to her mother.”

Jacko shook his head.

“She’s a good kid she’ll cope.” He paused and looked at Roman. “Or is this about that piece of paper you had us help you get.”

Roman groaned and covered his face for a moment.

“No she’s mine.” He stated.

“So you didn’t use the fake results.”

Roman looked at his friend.

“You did tell her though?” Jacko went on to ask.

“Eventually.” Roman confessed.

“And she forgave you?” Jacko whistled through his teeth and shook his head.

Roman grinned.

“Eventually.” He said again.

Jacko laughed and drained his cup placing it on the side just as a knock at the door sounded. He looked at Roman before heading to the door and opening it.

“Charlie.” He greeted.

“Jacko.” She murmured. “Roman called me.”

“In here.” Roman said from the kitchen.

Charlie exchanged a look with Jacko and walked through the house. She smiled at Roman before putting on gloves and looking at the letter.

“Where is Ella?” she asked.

Roman sighed.

“Upstairs. She hasn’t seen the letter.” Roman murmured.

“There is precedent for people getting access to children born in similar circumstances.” Charlie told him. “But that won’t matter in this instance because Meggy is yours right?”

Roman nodded.

“She’s mine and I won’t let this man or anyone hurt her.” he growled out.

Charlie looked at him.

“I can understand your anger Roman but let us do our jobs.” She cautioned. “No heroics.”

Jacko grinned.

“Missy just how are you going to trace this man?” he asked.

“Fingerprints, contacting the solicitor.” She met Roman’s gaze. “A sting operation.” She murmured.

“No.” Roman stated folding his arms.

“What is she talking about?” Ella asked walking into the room.

“That letter.” Roman began speaking softly.

Ella saw the piece of paper on the top and walked over to it. She scanned the contents and her eyes met with Roman’s.

“He’s determined isn’t he.” Was all she said.

Roman nodded slowly.

“So what were you saying?” Ella asked Charlie.

“Set it up so he has to collect the results in person or something along those lines.” Charlie murmured quietly.

Ella nodded.

“I’m not letting Meggy go through another test.” She announced.

“I can understand how difficult this is.” Charlie murmured.

“You do not understand anything.” Ella snapped her eyes focused on Roman even as she spoke to the other woman. “Now I don’t mean to be rude but its time we sorted the children’s dinner out and acted like this is another normal day.” Ella paused and looked once more at Roman. “What am I saying? A madman is after us and all you can think about is violence. It is a normal day.”

Jacko flinched at the scorn in her voice.

Roman looked at her and laughed.

“Well that wasn’t quite the reaction I thought you’d have Hardcore.” Jacko muttered folding his arms across his chest as he looked at the pair of them.

“It’s ok Jacko.” Ella said in her normal tone of voice. “It’s what he wants.”

She stepped over to Roman and smiled up at him as he put his arms around her.

“We worked out that William whatever he calls himself is pushing to split us up. Then maybe.” Roman stopped and looked at Ella. “Coming…”

“After me.” Ella finished softly.

Roman cursed under his breath and caught Ella frowning at him. He relaxed his facial muscles into a half smile despite the anger coursing through him.

“We’ll do what we can.” Charlie promised.

Ella nodded looking once more at Roman.

“We’ll sit down and talk about what we are going to do about the contents of the letter.” She murmured.

“Keep me informed. I’m going to have a patrol car sweep past your place.” Charlie announced before bagging up the envelope and the letter. She nodded and moved to the door and out of it.

“So anyway I’m going to go see Pete.” Jacko said softly. “Beens as there isn’t anything I can do here.”

“I have laundry that needs doing.” Ella told him.

Jacko laughed before running out of the door.

“We need to talk.” Ella said quietly.

“I swear that I didn’t fake the results of the test.” Roman said to her. “I wanted to. I wanted to be able to stop your pain. But she’s ours El, and if he hurts her I’ll …”

“I believe you but why are you acting like you are guilty each time we talk about this?” she asked him.

He looked at her feeling her arm still around him and he sighed.

“Because in doing that, in faking the results I betrayed us.” He admitted closing his eyes.

“In what way?” Ella asked quietly.

“In knowing that if I used them then I would be lying to you for the rest of our lives.” He said at last.

Ella sighed.

“And lying to our daughter.” she added.

“Ok I don’t need any extra guilt but thanks.”

Ella grinned and leaned up to kiss him.

“We’re going to be ok.” she promised him.

“Great. Now tell me when exactly Sophie got a bikini?” he muttered.

Ella giggled as she stepped away from him.

“Ella?” he muttered and heard her giggle some more.

Chapter 88

Roman looked over at Ella and saw her smile at him again.

“It isn’t funny.” He muttered.

“She’s growing up.” Ella told him quietly.

“I noticed that, along with every creep on the beach.” Roman growled out.

Ella looked over at him before placing her book down on the coffee table.

“So is it the fact that she is growing up or the fact that you feel the need to protect her?” she asked him.

Roman put aside the surfing magazine he’d borrowed from Georgie and looked back at his wife.

“Its just that she’s so…” he muttered.

“Aware?” Ella said.

He nodded.

“She’s a smart girl.” Ella said changing position on the sofa.

“I don’t want her to be smart. I want her to be innocent.” Roman protested.

“No you don’t.” Ella said earnestly. “If she’s innocent she’ll fall for the first boy that looks at her and get hurt. She knows what she wants. You are going to have to let her grow up sometime.”

“Is that what you did?” he asked her raising an eyebrow.

“I was different.” Ella snapped out standing up. She began to stalk out of the room.

“Ella.” He called as he caught hold of her wrist.

“You can’t have everything Roman.” She muttered tugging on her wrist. “Either you have a daughter that is getting ready to face the world or you have a little princess that you have to baby….”

“Ella.” He said again.

She looked at him.

“Sit down.” he murmured.

She shook her head and pulled on her hand again.

“That wasn’t a request.” He pointed out.

“Are you ordering me LT?” she shot out.

“If you want to think of it that way.” He murmured not rising to her taunt.

She glared at him before sinking to a seat beside him.

“She’s twelve.” He murmured. “I don’t mind her doing her hair or wearing a bit of make up occasionally but I don’t want her to morph into an adult before she’s ready for adulthood. I’m her Dad and I will always be protective of her.”

“As her Dad you are going to have to let her grow up.” Ella muttered. “And you will need to be able to let her go.”

“I know that. But wearing a bikini now is a bit scary for me.” He said trying to meet her eyes. He gave up after a moment and sighed.

“Do you want her to be self-conscious about her body?” she asked him folding her arms across herself.

“no of course not.” He denied.

“Then stop going on about it. Just accept that she wants to start being a bit more grown up.” Ella muttered. “For point of reference she is now in her pj’s that have cute little kittens on.”

Roman sighed.

“Now that we’ve discussed that, what got you pissed at me just now?” he asked

“Nothing.” She muttered.

“It’s not nothing. You are spitting at me like an angry cat.” He said meeting her gaze with difficulty as she seemed to be looking everywhere except at him. “Was it the reference to you falling for the first….” He asked her.

She bit her lip and refused to answer him.

“Ella?” he prompted in a softer tone of voice.

“You were the first man I fell for.” She told him eventually.

Roman sighed before lifting her hand to his mouth and kissing her fingers. Her gaze met with his and he smiled at her.

“I’m glad.” He told her. “I’d hate to think that some other man broke your heart.

“No that was just you.” She muttered.

Roman chuckled before pulling her into his lap. He stroked her hair back from her face and kissed her.

“When did you first wear a bikini?” he asked her.

“I don’t remember. Around 14 or 15.” She murmured.

“Uh huh.”

“Are you imagining me in a bikini now?” Ella muttered.

“A little.”

“Pervert.”

“No.” he denied quickly. “Now.”

“uh huh.”

“Seriously.” Roman murmured. “As wonderful as you must have been at 14 you are stunning right now. Long legs, curvy hips, narrow waist and well.” He stopped looking down at her.

“I knew you were a breast man.” She groaned.

“Uh huh.” He murmured.

“Roman.” Ella whispered near his ear.

“Uh huh.” He murmured again.

“You’re drooling.”

“I know. I’m thinking about that black bikini you used to have.” He told her. He eased her back on the sofa and covered her body with his own kissing her softly.

“Are you starting something?” she murmured against the column of his neck.

“Just fancy a little necking with my woman.” He protested.

Ella giggled and ran her hands underneath his T shirt.

“I really like the way you touch me.” He told her kissing her some more.

“Mummy.” Sammy called out.

“Did we forget to lock them in their rooms.” Roman muttered as he pushed himself up and off the sofa. He reached out a hand towards Ella and smiled when she hastily did up the buttons on her blouse.

“What’s up Sammy?” Ella called out.

Their son moved quietly into the room and over to Ella.

“I had a bad dream.” He announced.

Ella reached out and lifted Sammy into her lap putting her arms around him.

“Let me guess you dreamt that huge big fluffy marshmallows were out to get you?” Ella asked him smiling.

Sammy frowned before grinning at her.

“No Mummy.” He said softly.

“So you didn’t wrestle with your pillows?” She asked him.

“No.” he said with another giggle.

“Or dunk it in hot chocolate?”

“I could do with some hot chocolate. It might make me sleepy again.” Sammy said looking hopeful.

“No chance my boy.” Ella murmured grinning at him.

He snuggled closer to her.

“I dreamt that someone took me.” He whispered.

“Pity they brought you back.” Ella replied and heard him give a groan.

“You’d miss me mummy.” He muttered frowning at her.

“Not really. I mean we have Liam now and Marcus.” She pointed out.

Sammy gave her a look before giggling again.

“Love you Mummy.” He told her in his sweet little boy voice.

“Love you a whole load too.” Ella told him back. She leaned down and kissed him. “And your Daddy and me would come and get you back.”

Sammy nodded.

“Can I snuggle a little bit?” he asked.

Roman stood up and picked up his son from Ella’s lap and held him tight as he carried him upstairs. He smiled when he heard Ella’s footsteps behind him as he moved towards Sammy’s room. He tucked his son up in the top bunk hiding a smile when Ella came in with Travel Bear. She placed it next to Sammy and pulled up the covers over them.

“Thank you Mummy.” Sammy whispered sleepily.

“Now no more bad dreams, eh.” She told her son. “No one is going to take my wonderful Sammy ever again.”

Sammy nodded.

“Is the door locked?” he asked.

“Door is locked.” Ella whispered. “Daddy is here.”

“Daddy take care of me.” Sammy said his eyes closing as he fell asleep.

Ella smiled up at Roman loving the way he was always humbled when their kids referred to him as their hero before she moved quietly out of Sammy’s bedroom and into their own. Roman followed smiling as he saw the items of clothes that Ella dropped to the floor as she undressed.

He turned and closed the door turning the key in the lock before pulling off his T-shirt. He kicked off his trainers next watching as Ella hooked her thumbs in the waistband of her hot pink panties and eased them down until she was standing naked in front of him. He smiled slowly his eyes travelling over her body. He stripped off the rest of his clothes and moved over to her.

“Witch.” He groaned out.

Ella giggled and slid out of his hold moving to the en suite.

“Do I have to come get you?” he asked her and heard her laugh some more. He bend down picking up the discarded clothes setting them aside before moving to the bed. Peeling down the covers he switched on the bedside lamp before moving around the room lighting candles. He smelt the exotic scent of sandalwood drift around the room and he smiled.

“Like that huh?” she asked him from the door of the en suite.

“It’s a nice scent.” He admitted. “Smells nicer on you.”

Ella laughed.

“It’s only a part of what makes up my favourite perfume.”

“But every time I smell it I think of you.” He admitted. “You under me. On top of me. Joined with me.”

Ella smiled and stepped towards him. She took hold of the hand he’d stretched out towards her before moving into his arms and lifting her head for his kiss.

Roman smiled before pressing his lips gently to hers. He ran his hands over her body feeling the silk of her skin before using his strength to lift her up and carry her to the bed. He lay her down amongst the pillows before spreading her hair out on one of them. He teased her with gentle kisses before easing back and looking at her.

“Like what you see?” she asked him lifting a hand and running a finger down his chest.

“I do.” He murmured. “Seeing you lying there waiting for me.”

He watched her smile at him before groaning and covering her body with his own. He felt her hands stroking down his back and he laughed before kissing her. Then passion claimed them and stole them away once more.

Chapter 89

“Repeat, I do not want to go surfing.” Ella muttered pulling the covers over her head.

Roman chuckled before dragging them down.

“Great we’ll have more sex then.” He murmured and saw her mouth a swearword or two at him.

“Fine. Who’s looking after the little ones?” she muttered scrambling out of the bed.

“Irene is waiting downstairs.” He told her. “Hurry up.”

“Roman.”

“Wear that black bikini and we’ll make a stop in the sand dunes on the way back.” he said walking out the door. He laughed when he heard the soft thump of a pillow hitting the bedroom door behind him. Smiling he walked down the stairs and into the lounge.

“She going with you?” Irene asked sipping from the cup of coffee Roman had handed her a while back.

“Yup.” Roman said grinning.

“Strewth love.” Irene muttered. “Anyone tell you that you aren’t the one who should be glowing.”

“Irene.” He protested stepping into the kitchen.

He moved around the kitchen and the dinning table setting it up for the kids breakfasts, putting out bowls and packets of cereals.

“Well.” She said moving to stand in the archway between the two rooms.

“Look.” He began to say something stopping when he saw Ella standing at the bottom of the stairs. She was wearing a one piece black swimming costume. Her hair pulled back and plaited. Around her waist she had an animal print silky wrap and wore high black wedge sandals. He felt his breath still in his throat as he looked at her and he couldn't help the smile that spread on his face.

“Will this do?” she asked him in a husky voice.

He nodded unable to speak.

“So you going surfing then?” Irene asked them a light in her eyes.

“Yes.” Ella murmured.

Roman nodded again.

“Shall we go?” Ella asked. “Before Georgie wakes up?”

Roman turned and handed Irene the bowl he had in his hands and walked to the door. He opened it letting Ella walk through first before following her. She grinned as she saw the car already loaded with their boards and climbed in the passenger seat. Roman walked around the car and climbed behind the wheel.

“You are a witch.” He told her. “You know very well if Irene weren’t there I would have dragged you back to bed.”

Ella giggled the kind of low husky laugh that turned him on even more.

“I can’t help it that you are turned on so easily.” She told him reaching out and running a hand down his thigh to rest on his knee.

“You turn me on Ella.” He told her. “Your scent, the way you look at me, the way you toss that hair of yours. The way you laugh.”

“Well better not think of that right now we’re going surfing.”

“Yes I know. And don’t you have delicious ways of punishing me.” He laughed.

“Punishment?” she queried looking at him.

“Oh yes, turning me on so the only thing I can think about is having you again and making me go into the cold sea instead of a warm bed.”

Ella laughed again.

“I was not the one who wanted to leave that warm bed.” She pointed out giving him a sly look.

“Quit it.” he muttered pulling up in front of their favourite spot on the beach. He looked over at her and saw the smile she had on her face. “I mena it.” he told her.

Ella grinned at him.

“Should have let me stay in bed.” She warned him.

“So You are going to torture me all day now?” he asked her.

“Maybe.” She whispered.

Roman chuckled and climbed out of the car. He walked around to the back of the pale tan vehicle and unhooked his surfboard, running his hand down the surface.

“Need some wax?” Ella asked him moving to stand next to him.

Roman nodded.

“Think yours might too.” He murmured.

She kicked off her shoes and placed them in the car before taking her board from his hands and looking down the length of the purple surfboard. She smiled and nodded.

“Yes.” She told him.

Roman pulled off his T-shirt and trainers stuffing them in the back of the car before he hooked out a couple of towels. He passed one to Ella and she untied her sarong handing that to him before putting the towel in its place. They walked down the beach in silence each carrying their surfboards. Ella placed hers flat on the beach and took out the can of sex wax. Sliding her hand along the board she began rubbing the wax into it before turning it over and doing the other side. She handed the wax to Roman and smiled as he did his board before standing and laying the towel on the sand, already warmed by the early morning sun.

“Ready?” Roman asked her.

“I warn you if its cold.” She began.

Roman laughed.

“I can work out the inference. I’ll find our bed the same way?”

She nodded before running down the beach and splashing through the surf. He heard a muffled swearword before he dropped his towel and ran down to join her. It took a minute to catch up with her, both of them paddling out to the deeper water.

“Tell me that you aren’t enjoying this?” he asked her seeing her smile.

Ella looked at him and shook her head.

“Not as much fun as staying in bed for another hour.” She murmured. “And just wait until Georgie finds out you’ve been surfing and didn’t take him.”

“I think you’ll find that Georgie doesn’t look as good in a swimsuit.” He shot back and saw her turn her head so he wouldn’t see her laugh.

They paddled further out where the waves were crashing and stayed there waiting for the perfect wave.

“It’s been a long time.” he commented.

Ella nodded turning her head to look at him.

“Before Lily was born.” She siad quietly.

“Even before that.” He told her. “Before.” He stopped and took a breath.

“Francesca.” She finished for him giving him a half smile.

“Yes.” He agreed. “This is what I want back for us El, just being together. Last night was good. I forgot the last time we just sat together.”

Ella smiled at him and reached out her hand.

Roman chuckled and paddled closer so he could hold her hand.

“I accept your point and when everything is sorted and we’ve got the twins into a routine we’ll do this more.” She promised him.

“Thank you.” He murmured.

She grinned at him before letting go of his hand. Beginning to paddle out she caught the wave and sprang up on the board. She wavered for a few moments before finding her balance and guiding the board along. She could feel Roman watching her and felt a little self conscious before almost forgetting he was there as the pure joy of riding the wave overtook her. She grinned at the spray of salt water in her face and the sun on her body. A sense of freedom went through her although she knew that she wouldn’t change having the kids for anything she could see that she needed to spend some time for herself. She laughed, imagining what Roman would say if he could hear her thoughts just then.

Thinking of Roman she turned and saw him catching the next wave. He sprang up easily and balanced on the board. She saw the frowning expression on his face as he focused on his task relax into a smile as the enjoyment spread through him.

Ride over he paddled over to where she was sat watching him and positioned his board so he could lean over and kiss her.

“Enjoy that?” she asked him.

“It was good. I could feel you watching me and I wanted to show off.” He admitted with a little boy like smile.

“Really?”

Roman nodded.

“Funny isn’t it?” he asked her. “How you keep making me fall in love with you.”

“I don’t make you.” She protested unable to hide the happy smile on her face. She looked down and saw their hands clasped, fingers entwined.

Roman raised an eyebrow before kissing her again.

“Come on.” She told him. “Lets make the most of this.”

Roman nodded and they began paddling back out to the deeper water.

“Where are they?” Georgie asked Irene.

“Want to say that again with some manners?” Irene asked back.

Georgie sighed.

“Sorry Nana Rene.” He murmured coming over to her and pressing a quick kiss to her cheek.

“That’s ok.” she murmured flushing slightly. “Your Dad has dragged you Mum surfing.”

“Without me?” Georgie muttered. “Huh.”

Irene laughed.

“Go get your breakfast.” She told him.

Georgie walked over to the table glaring at Sophie when she grinned at him.

“I think its romantic.” Sophie said to him. “Dad taking Mum out for a surf. They used to do it years ago.”

He shook his head.

“Typical girl.” He accused.

Sammy looked at him and smiled.

“Oh come on grumpy. Mum hasn’t been herself for ages.” He told his brother.

“Ok I don’t need all of you on my back.” Georgie said and sat on a chair.

“Strewth, mate.” Irene said walking over to the table. “You are so like your granddad.”

Sammy giggled and looked at his brother.

“I’ll take that as a compliment.” Georgie told her in a posh voice causing Meggy to giggle at him.

“Now then I think your Mum and Dad are getting the delivery of the new beds today.” Irene said to them. “So you might have to entertain yourselves.”

“New beds?” Marcus asked slowly.

“Getting the room ready to bring our baby sister home.” Sammy said excitedly.

Lily looked over at him and screwed her face up. She sucked in a deep breath before letting out a loud cry.

“Oh dear.” Sophie murmured springing up. She moved over to her sister and picked her up out of her highchair. “Sammy what did we say about the B word?”

“That we had to spell it or someone would have a tantrum.” Sammy repeated. “Sorry.”

“There there Lily, you’re our baby sister.” Sophie soothed.

Lily shook her head tears pouring down her face.

“Give me her Darl, I’ll take her.” Irene said moving over to Sophie.

“I have her.” Sophie said rocking Lily gently and crooning to her.

Irene smiled watching her struck by how much she looked like her mum in that moment.

“Nice to see you getting some practice in.” Gabby called from the doorway. She eased forward one hand resting as always on her bump.

“If you want me to baby-sit it’ll cost you.” Sophie said sticking her tongue out at her.

Jacob gave a half grin but still kept his distance.

“Isn’t it about time you made a trip to the hospital?” Irene asked her.

Gabby sank slowly into a chair.

“Got any suggestions on bringing on labour?” she asked the older woman rubbing her bump.

“Have you tried eating spicy food?”

Jacob chuckled.

“Shut up.” Gabby warned him.

“She’s had curry to eat for the past three nights.” Jacob informed them. “And there has been some….”

“I said shut up.” Gabby muttered giving him a glare.

“Very unladylike burps.” He finished.

Meggy giggled.

“Ha ha laugh it up Mister but I know which one of us will be getting up for night feeds.” Gabby promised him.

Jacob moved over to her side and kissed her gently on the lips his hand rubbing her bump before he sat in the chair next to her.

“Anyway what is up with Lily?” Gabby asked changing the subject.

“Someone mentioned the B word.” Meggy murmured.

“Is that so Lils my girl?” Gabby asked her.

Lily nodded.

“Me baby.” She said pointing to herself.

“And you are a good baby too.” Sophie assured her.

Lily nodded.

“So no new baby.” She instructed them.

Gabby laughed.

“Should we tell her what this means?” she asked patting her stomach.

“Not unless you want screaming.” Sammy told her.

“Liam are you being good?” Gabby asked turning to her brother.

“Me’s good.” Liam announced.

Gabby laughed before leaning over and kissing his cheek.

“What’s all this then?” Ella asked walking in through the door.

“Just breakfast at the madhouse.” Sophie murmured having to set Lily down when she squirmed to get out of her hold. Lily ran across the room to her mother.

“Hey Lily squeals.” Ella called out picking her up.

“No new baby.” Lily muttered.

Ella smiled at her as she walked across the room and placed her in her highchair. She kissed the top of her head and picked up the spoon placing it in her hand.

“Finish your breakfast Lily.” Ella told her daughter gently.

“Did you have a good time?” Georgie asked.

“We did thank you.” Ella told her son.

Sammy and Marcus looked at him expecting him to say something else but watched as Georgie grinned.

“Coffee?” Irene asked her.

Ella nodded sinking into a seat. She looked over at Sophie who was still standing.

“School is going to start on Monday.” Ella murmured. “So I thought it might be good to get everything ready. Get your new uniforms sorted.”

Sophie nodded.

“Think high school will be ok?” she asked twirling a lock of hair around her finger.

“It’ll be fine Sophie.” Jacob answered her. “You and Angel will probably be in many of the same classes.”

“Well you’ll like that.” Georgie told her.

She gave a quick nod.

“It’s just that it seems like a lot of hard work.” Sophie admitted sitting back in her sat next to her mother.

“It will be.” Ella murmured leaning closer to her. “But you’ll find it lots of fun too.”

“I’d swap with you if I could.” Sammy told her.

“Yeah and you’d be doing your HSC in like a year.” Sophie said to him.

Sammy grinned at the compliment.

“Morning.” Roman called out walking into the room.

“Morning Daddy.” Georgie called out in a quiet voice.

“Hello.” Roman said back.

“I told you that you’d be in his bad books.” Ella murmured.

Roman grinned before leaning down and kissing her.

“I’ll take you later.” He promised Georgie seeing an almost comical change of expression.

“Maybe see if Mike wants to go?” Ella pointed out.

“Not if you are busy doing the B-A-B-Y-S room.” Georgie said spelling out the word baby.

“Well we are.” Ella nodded. “We want you to go up to the nursery later and write your names on the wall.”

“Hey, I got told off for that.” Meggy cried out.

Ella laughed.

“You gave me the idea.” She murmured.

“What idea?” Gabby asked.

“I want all my kids to write their names on the wall of the nursery before we wallpaper it.” Ella said quietly.

She felt Roman putting his hand on her shoulder and she stood up gesturing for him to sit down. He smiled at her and eased down on the chair grinning when she perched on his knee, his arms going around her.

“We didn’t want to lose her flower.” Roman added.

Ella nodded.

“I think that sounds great.” Jacob said quietly. “Maybe Meggy could write you a poem to go with it.”

Meggy flushed.

“Oh I’m not that good.” She denied.

“Megs.” Sophie looked at her.

“That sounds like a good idea.” Ella said softly. “They all write a message.”

“Sort of like a time capsule.” Roman added nodding.

“I’ll text Nic and Aden in a bit.”

“Want them to add their messages?” Roman asked her.

Ella nodded.

“All our family.” She murmured.

“Sounds lovely.” Irene said walking through from the kitchen and putting a couple cups of coffee in front of them.

Ella picked up a cup and took a sip.

“What did you come over for?” she asked Gabby.

“Well.” Gabby began. She gave Jacob a look and saw him nod encouragement at her. “We thought we’d ask if you were serious about making the stables into a house.”

“She was.” Roman asked for her.

“Have you decided then?” Sophie asked excitedly.

“We would like to take you up on that offer.” Jacob said quietly. “But only if we pay you rent.”

Ella exchanged a look with Roman and saw him nod.

“Ok.” she said to them.

“Yey!” Sophie cried out jumping up from her seat. She ran around the table and hugged Gabby before hugging Jacob. “Sorry.” She muttered drawing back.

“That’s ok.” Jacob said looking at his wife. He smiled at her before moving to kneel in front of her wiping at her eyes. “It’s ok isn’t it?” he asked softly.

Gabby nodded.

“Thank you Sophie.” she whispered to her sister, choked up with emotion.

Ella smiled at Sophie as she blushed.

“Sit down.” she said quietly.

Sophie nodded and moved back to her seat.

“So when can you get started?” Sophie asked.

“Steady.” Ella murmured. “Need to draw up plans first and get quotes.”

“I take it you are a bit excited about that?” Georgie teased his sister.

Sophie flushed.

“We’re going to see Fleur in a bit. Anyone want to come with us?” Roman announced changing the subject.

“Me.” Meggy called out.

“I want to.” Sophie added.

“That leaves you boys here.” Ella said to them.

Sammy nodded.

“We could go play in the pool or something.” He suggested.

“Could do a lot of things. Just make sure you help Irene with the baby’s if she needs it.” Roman said to them.

Ella put her cup on the table.

“I’m going to take a shower.” She told him easing up off his lap.

Roman nodded reaching for his cup. He drank it in three gulps before standing up and following her.

“Clear the table please.” He called out as they left the room.

Ella giggled when she felt Roman pat her on her behind as they walked up the stairs.

“Behave yourself mister.” She muttered.

He laughed before chasing her into their bedroom making sure the door locked.

“Hey.” She called out.

“Just checking it still works.” He murmured with a grin.

“I’m sure.” Ella replied.

Roman stepped towards her and reached out taking the straps of her swimming costume and peeling them down her arms. He looked down smiling as he bared her breasts and then took the costume lower sliding it down her sun kissed legs. She stepped out of it and back.

His hungry eyes ate up her body as he looked at her before he lifted her over to the bed.

“You’ll have to be quick.” She cautioned him.

“Are you kidding? You just spent five minutes sitting on my lap in that costume. I’m surprised I lasted this long.” He shot back.

Ella laughed and pulled him on top of her smiling as he leaned down and kissed her.

Archived