Broken

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 31

“El.” Amy-Belle called out watching as Ella walked into the diner.

“Amy-Belle.” Ella smiled at her as she moved to sit next to the younger girl. “How are you? How are things?”

“If by things you mean my parents they are still in counselling.” She murmured looking down for a moment.

“Still haven’t told them have you?” Ella asked.

“How can I? And you can’t get involved my mother would have a fit.” Amy-Belle said fluffing out her top self-consciously as she moved on her seat.

“Amy-Belle you need to tell them.” Ella said quietly. “You need to make sure you are ok.”

Amy-Belle shook her head.

“It’s not happening Ella.” She said quietly.

“So what are you planning?” Ella muttered looking around the diner making sure they weren’t overheard.

“I’m thinking of putting the baby up for adoption.” Amy-Belle said deliberately.

Ella nodded slowly.

“You need to be sure that it is the right decision for you and the baby.” She murmured sadly thinking of the horror that Gabby went through.

“I’m sure.” Amy-Belle said with quiet emphasis.

Ella nodded and then looked at the young girl.

“No.” she said. “Absolutely not.”

“But it’s perfect. I know you are a wonderful mother and will keep the baby safe. They’ll have lots of brothers and sisters. My parents will still be involved.”

Ella looked at her in horror.

“How could you even think that?” Ella whispered.

Amy-Belle reached out and caught hold of her hand.

“But think about it. I know it can’t replace your babies but Ella you would love this baby and you are such a wonderful mother.”

Ella dragged her hand away and shook her head.

“Tell your parents by this time next week or I will.” She said quietly.

“You do that and I will go away. They’ll never know.” Amy-Belle shot back.

“My god you’ll do that to your parents?”

Ella wiped at the tear that fell from her face.

“Ella, I love my parents but they’ll never understand how this could happen and they won’t take your involvement. My mother will walk away.” Amy-Belle said quietly. “Do you want to be responsible for that too?”

Ella stood up and walked out of the diner. She continued the walk moving down to the beach and sitting watching the stormy sky and the rolling surf. She sat there for a long time unaware of how long had passed lost in her thoughts.

“Hey.” Martha called out walking over to her.

“I’m not really in the mood right now.” Ella said stretching to her feet.

“I saw what you wrote in Marcus’ book.” The other woman murmured. “I wanted to say thank you.”

“You’ve said it. I have to go now.”

“I also wanted to say I understood about the test being put off. Roman explained everything to me.” Martha said.

“I’m sure he did.” Ella confirmed resisting the urge to wrap her arms defensively around herself.

“Anyway.” Martha began before routing around in her cavernous handbag. “I have Roman’s phone here. He must have left it at mine.”

Ella looked at it for a long moment before stretching out her hand and reluctantly taking the phone.

“Thank you.” She said through numb lips.

“it must have fallen behind one of the pillows.” Martha added.

Ella nodded.

“I’m sure he’ll be grateful.” She said quietly.

Martha nodded.

“I’ll let you go then. Tell him we’ll set up a time to get the DNA test done.”

Ella nodded once more before walking away and climbing into her car. A glance at her watch told her she was cutting it fine to get home before Roman needed to leave for his shift. She put her foot down as she drove away unaware that she was crying.

“Finally.” Roman called out glancing over at the children.

“I was delayed.” Ella said.

Roman looked at her then and shook his head at the sight of tears on her face. She opened her hand and held it out to him. He looked down and saw his phone.

“Where did you find it?” he asked puzzled.

“Your whore brought it over to me. Said it fell behind some pillows when you were over there.” Ella screamed at him before lifting her hand and throwing the phone at him.

He caught it on reflex clutching the small black phone to his chest in surprise.

“Ella.” He began.

She held up her hand.

“Sorry, silly of me to get upset about it. We’re over. Silly to drag it out.” she whispered walking away from him.

“Ella.” He said again.

She shook her head.

“I’m going for a lay down.” She murmured. “You should get to work.”

“We should talk.” He said instead.

“Lily, Liam. Come with Mummy please.” She called out struggling to keep her voice normal. She began to lead the children out of the room and up the stairs.

“Ella.” He said one more time.

She turned and looked at him.

“Will you be here when I get back?” he asked her quietly.

She wiped at a tear trickling down her face and nodded.

“I have no where to go.” She said in a small sad voice.

He nodded quickly unable to speak past the lump in his own throat and watched her walk up the rest of the stairs before he went into the study first of all to get a charger for the phone and then outside to his car. He wasn’t surprised to see that his hand was shaking when he put the key in the ignition and set off.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warning Contains some upsetting scenes.

Chapter 32

Roman kept staring at his phone like it was something that was going to bite him. Eventually there was enough charge in it for him to switch it on. He saw the message symbol immediately followed by a warning that the inbox was full. He scrolled through the messages reading ones from Ella first and deleting old ones. He put the phone away avoiding listening to the voicemail knowing that hearing Ella’s voice sound so lost and sad would break his heart all over again. Focusing on work he made it through his shift before heading home via the school and picking up the children.

Walking through the door he was surprised to see the table set up for the children and Lily and Liam in the lounge playing.

“Ella.” He called out.

“Mama gone.” Lily told him.

“Where has she gone?” he asked before remembering that he was talking to a 2-year-old.

“Thought I heard your voice. Mum is at the shops.” Mike told him walking in carrying his books. “She was cooking and realised she was out of something.” He added with a shrug.

Roman nodded but still a frown crept over his face. He walked into the kitchen and saw the pots on the stove.

“She cooking chilli?” he asked Mike.

“Chilli?” Sammy asked rubbing his belly comically.

“I don’t know. Hey kids budge up.” Mike said sitting at the table with one of his textbooks.

“Doing homework with us?” Sophie asked her eyebrow raised.

Mike nodded.

“Up until 2 minutes ago I was watching cartoons with Lily and Liam but that isn’t going to get this assignment finished.” He murmured.

Ella walked in through the front door with a grocery bag in her arms.

“Hello.” Roman said cautiously.

“Hey.” She said quietly.

“You’re cooking.” He said lamely.

Ella looked at him and a reluctant smile crept on to her face.

“Yes.” She said after a moment.

“It’s not what you think.” He said quickly before he lost his nerve.

Ella shrugged.

“Yes my phone was there. I never thought to check. I went there to talk about the test. “ He muttered in staccato sentences.

Ella nodded and folded her arms across herself.

“She has pillows on her sofa.” he muttered. “I must have sat down and it came out of my trousers”

Ella continued to look at him her arms folded.

“The phone that is.” He added quickly just in case his last sentence was taken the wrong way. “It fell out of my pocket.”

“El please say something.” He begged huskily after being met with silence.

“We’re done Roman. There isn’t an awful lot I can say.” She stepped closer to him and lowered her voice. “I’d appreciate it if you sleep downstairs from now on until we sort out what is going to happen.”

Roman stepped back and looked at her. He took in her body language and the tone of voice she used and forced himself not to react angrily to the negativity.

“Fine.” He said quietly.

“Thank you.” She murmured.

He turned and moved over to the fridge taking out a bottle of beer and uncapping it. Walking on to the back veranda he saw Jacko sitting by the pool next to Pete. Without a second thought he moved over to them.

“What’s up?” Pete asked him immediately.

“Nothing.” He said sitting next to them. “But I may just be getting a little drunk tonight.” He added glancing back at the house.

“So you and the Mrs is Kaput.” Jacko said with relish.

“What are you sounding so pleased for?” Roman shot out anger dripping from each word.

“Pleased?” Jacko shook his head. “No not exactly. Just living vicariously through you. This break up should be good for some Malt at least.”

Roman glared at him and shook his head.

“Are you any closer to finding out who is messing with us?” he asked instead of thumping his best mate.

“We’ve cloned the sim in Jacob’s phone so that when he gets a call or makes a call we know. The problem is that when he last spoke to the person he told him he was done so he really doesn’t have a reason to call them.”

“Unless we were to throw Jacob out. Maybe even rough him up a little.” Roman suggested.

“Still a little upset by what he did?” Pete asked.

Roman nodded quickly.

“Always worth a try.” Jacko murmured grinning.

“Probably need to make it public. Assuming that he’s somehow watching you.” Pete told Roman.

“Great. We’re being stalked but slowly so we don’t realise.” He muttered.

The hairs stood up on the back of his neck and he turned looking through the darkness.

“What is it Hardcore?” Jacko asked quickly.

“I don’t know.” He muttered standing up slowly.

They heard the first shot as it made a whistle sound and then the whiny from one of the horses. Roman immediately began running for the paddock at the front of the stable. He saw Arthur down on the ground rolling in agony and then the same high-pitched whistle as the second bullet hit the target and Princess went down. He felt hands on his back pulling him to the floor and he resisted trying to get to his daughters’ horses and somehow make them better.

“Hardcore.” Jacko shouted getting his attention.

Roman lay still then feeling his heartbeat pounding in his chest..

“What’s going on?” Ella shouted to them from the garden.

She heard the horses in distress and ran over to them.

“Ella, no get down.” Roman said quickly.

She barely glanced at him as she ran.

Roman stood too and began running to her. In his head he saw the next bullet tearing through her flesh just as easily. Taking her away from him forever and with a speed he didn’t know he had he powered over to her and brought her down covering her body with his own while he scanned the darkness.

“Get off me.” She said.

And it was the fact she wasn’t shouting or hysterical that shocked him into moving away from her.

She stood and walked over to the horses careful of flailing hooves before sitting and stroking Princess’ nose. She saw fear and pain reflected in the velvet brown eyes of the horse and she began to cry her tears falling on to the horse.

“Ella.” Roman said quietly.

“You better call the vet.” She said quickly.

“No.” he murmured. “Their legs are broken.”

She looked up at him.

“Call the vet.” She cried out.

Jacko and Pete stood behind Roman and caught his expression.

“Get Mike.” he told Jacko. “He has a gun.”

Jacko nodded and moved away.

“No.” Ella screamed understanding dawning in her. “No.”

Roman moved to Ella’s side.

“Their legs are broken. He aimed the shots to do this.” He tried to explain.

“You are not doing that to my daughter.” Ella screamed at him pushing away the hands that tried to soothe her.

Mike came over with Jacko the gun in his hand. He looked at Roman and Ella and shuddered as he saw the horses on the ground.

“Mum.” He called. “You need to step away.” He added loading the semi automatic.

Roman lifted Ella and pulled her away trying not to hurt her in the process. She fought him pushing at the arms holding her securely until she broke away.

Mike lifted the weapon and took aim.

“No.” Roman murmured.

“Dad?” he asked.

“Give me the gun.” He said slowly aware of Ella looking at him.

Mike immediately clicked the safety on and handed over the weapon watching as Roman immediately took the safety off. He moved into position in front of Arthur and fired two shots in quick succession. Out the corner of his eye he saw Ella flinch with each shot and he forced himself to ignore that and move over to Princess.

“No.” Ella cried out.

“It has to be done Mum. The horses leg is broken. We can see that.” Mike told her quietly.

Ella stepped forward in front of Roman. She put her hand on his wrist and then eased the gun out of his grip.

“No.” she murmured. “Someone call the vet.”

“Ella.” Jacko said his voice breaking by the distress in hers.

“El.” Roman said quietly.

She looked into his eyes before kneeling down in front of the horse. Stroking her nose she leaned down and kissed the white star on her head before standing and raising the gun.

“Ella no.” Roman cried out as he saw the expression on her face.

She pulled the trigger twice flinching each time the muzzle flash indicated that the bullet raced towards the stricken horses before flicking the safety on and dropping the gun to the floor.

“Done.” She told him. “Now you can still be our daughters hero.”

She turned and walked away from all of them.

“Dad.” Mike murmured slowly.

Roman leant down and picked up the gun.

“Hell of a shot Hardcore.” Jacko commentated.

“The sniper or my wife?” Roman asked with a dry sense of humour that was the only thing stopping him from crying like a baby right at that moment.

“Both.” Pete said. “But that sniper shot. Only one man could have done that in my estimation and that’s you Hardcore.”

Roman nodded slowly.

“It ain’t Gardy he never could shoot worth a damn.”

“What do you mean?” Ella called out from across the paddock hearing the comment.

“Gardy was a poor shot.” Jacko said quickly sensing the tension.

Roman turned and looked at Ella seeing revulsion on her face.

“I was a sniper.” He said slowly.

She backed up and away from him.

“You murdered people.” She whispered and even though he couldn’t hear what she said he read her lips and flinched.

“Yes.” He told her his eyes meeting hers.

Ella shook her head and moved away heading back into the house.

“Dad you should go. We’ll sort this.” Mike said slowly. “You need to tell the children.”

Roman nodded before handing over the gun and walking to the house himself. He saw Ella had poured a glass of whiskey and he nodded accepting the drink from her.

“You should wash your face.” He told her quietly.

She looked at him.

“No.” she murmured. “I want them to know this upsets us too.”

“They’ll try and make out that they aren’t upset to try and make you feel better.” He told her and then bit the inside of his cheek at how the words came out.

She shook her head at him and walked into the lounge.

“Come here.” She called out moving to the sofa.

The children followed quickly.

“God Mummy what is it?” Sophie asked first.

Ella sank on to the sofa and turned and looked at the children. She said in a calm voice what had happened and what they did.

“I want to see her.” Sophie cried out.

Ella nodded.

“I know you do but it’s best you remember her like she was.” She told her.

“Are we going to bury them?” Sammy asked putting his thumb in his mouth.

Ella shook her head.

“We’re going to have them taken away but we’ll put markers down by Cookie so that we can go say goodbye to them”

“Are our rabbits safe?” Meggy asked slowly tears pouring down her face.

“They are in the shed so I think so but tomorrow we’ll go to the pet shop and get some cages so you can have them in your room at night.”

Sammy smiled at that and then remembered about the horses.

“Sophie do you need a hug?” he asked her.

Ella began to cry again and reached out to pick Sammy up in her arms she sat him on her lap and wrapped her arms around him.

“Does my Sammy need a hug?” she asked him.

He nodded.

“Mummy. Does Gabby know?” Sophie asked quietly.

“We’re going to tell her next.” Roman said answering her.

“I think I want to be with her.” Sophie whispered. “She has the baby to think about so I should help her.”

Ella nodded and eased Sammy down kissing him.

“Clear the table please.” She told them.

“You think we want to eat now?” Meggy asked frowning.

Ella looked at her.

“Well you can finish your homework if you like.” She said quietly.

Meggy ran over to the table and started putting her books away not noticing Sammy laughing at her.

“Sorry Sophie.” he said again.

“It’s ok Samson.” Sophie told him again in that calm voice.

Roman looked at his daughter before putting his hand on her shoulder and guiding her out of the room. He gave Ella a concerned look but she nodded at him without saying anything.

Chapter 33

Roman heard the music as he pulled into the drive. He eased the car to a stop and after switching the engine off he climbed out and moved into the house. He found Ella with the kids in the lounge, the music playing and Ella alternately singing and dancing.

“What is going on?” he asked Sophie who seem to be standing to one side.

“Mother declared a snow day and kept us off school.” She muttered scathingly.

Ella nodded when he looked at her.

“A Snow day huh?” he asked with a glance out of the window to the bright sunny day outside.

“Yeah.” She told him. “Don’t go outside.” She cautioned.

Roman looked at her and closed the door behind him.

“Ok.” he murmured.

“We have soup.” She murmured in response. “But at the moment we are dancing to keep warm.”

Roman smiled and moved over to her.

“Really?” he asked.

“Well all except Sophie who has decided I am really mad and refuses to dance.”

Roman laughed and before he knew it he caught her face between his hands and kissed her. In that moment where sanity kicked in he expected her to slap him or even knee him somewhere but instead she was kissing him back her hand stroking his arm.

“So soup?” he asked.

Ella nodded and pointed to the thermos on the table and the lunchbox with sandwiches in.

“Good girl.” he told her reaching for a cup to pour the soup into. He took one of the sandwiches and took a bite.

“Cheese and onion.” he murmured.

“You’re mad too.” Sophie declared.

“No-one is mad on a snow day.” Roman told his daughter.

She stood and stalked to the door opening it.

“See its sunny.” She told them.

“Brr. Shut the door.” Sammy called pretending to shiver.

Sophie looked at him.

“Sammy can’t you see this is just to distract us form the fact that Mummy and Daddy are fighting again.” Sophie snapped out.

“Are they?” Meggy asked. “Because I just saw Daddy kiss Mummy.”

“It’s all an act.” Sophie snapped.

“Absolutely.” Ella agreed. “I can’t stand him. Yuk. Don’t kiss me again.”

Roman laughed despite himself.

“Want to go upstairs for half an hour?” he asked Ella winking at her.

“Yuk seriously yuk.” Sophie exclaimed blushing.

Ella smiled at her daughter and held open her arms.

Sophie glared back but reluctantly walked over to her.

“Love you Sophie girl.” She told her daughter and kissed the top of her head.

Sammy ran over to the open door and shut it.

“I think there’s an avalanche coming.” He declared.

Ella laughed and moved over to the sofa sitting next to Roman.

“We should watch a movie until it passes.” She told everyone.

“I choose the movie.” Georgie declared,

Meggy turned off the music and moved to sit on the sofa she looked sideways at her Mum and Dad and grinned when Ella snuggled up to Roman as he put his arm around her.

“James Bond?” Ella questioned.

Georgie nodded.

“Well I suppose it’s ok but the younger ones will have to close their eyes when it’s a kissing scene.”

“Mum.” Meggy protested.

“Yeah, Mum!” Georgie said mimicking Meggy “They’ll miss half the movie and anyway we’ve seen worse with you and Dad.”

Roman let out a surprised bark of laughter and turned to see Ella hiding her face as she blushed.

“And what exactly have you seen my boy?” he asked softly.

“Just like kissing and cuddling.” Sammy supplied. “You always lock the door when you are making babies.” He added and then bit his lip and looked down.

Ella lifted her head and looked over at him.

“We don’t always lock the door to make babies.” She said quietly breaking into the sudden silence. “Sometimes we do it just to get a few more minutes sleep. Since you know about the baby making stuff you are way too embarrassed to knock once you find out the door is locked.”

Roman reached out for her hand and gave it a comforting squeeze.

“Mum that’s sneaky.” Sophie said with a groan.

“Of course.” She murmured to her daughter with a grin.

Georgie reached out and ruffled Sammy hair before collecting the remote and pressing play on the movie. He sat next to his brother and gave him a look.

“It’s ok Sammy.” Ella said quietly.

“I was looking forward to having sisters.” Sammy said crying.

“So was I babe. “ Ella told him moving over to him and putting her arms around him. “And it’s very sad that they were taken away so soon but you need to be grateful for all the brothers and sisters that you do have. Meggy is your best friend and Sophie and Georgie take care of you. For four years you wouldn’t let any of us call you Sammy except Sophie. Then you have Lily and Liam. Well not so much Liam because Lily won’t let you but when we distract her with nursery I’m sure you’ll be able to play with your brother.”

Sammy nodded and wiped at his tears.

“Mummy are you going to try again?” he asked slowly.

Ella shook her head.

“No darling. Mummy would much rather be with you than risk another pregnancy. She’s been very cheeky having so many of you when the doctors keep telling her not too.” Ella explained slowly.

Sammy nodded.

“Is that why Daddy sleeps down here?” Meggy asked slowly.

“No that’s because of his snoring.” Ella shot back.

“But he’s always snored.” Meggy said rolling her eyes comically.

“Yes I know.” Ella leaned forward and whispered. “But it’s taken this long for me to get fed up with it.”

“Hey!” Roman grumbled.

Ella smiled and moved back to sit with him. She leaned up and kissed his cheek before snuggling up. She missed the children smiling at each other and Sammy putting his hankie back in his pocket. It contained raw onion and a few discreet sniffs of it had caused the tears, not that he wasn’t sad about losing his sisters but they had been more concerned when they saw their Dad asleep on the sofa.

“El.” Roman said later as they moved around the supermarket.

“Yes?” she asked cautiously.

“I’m going to sleep in the bedroom tonight. I can put a sleeping bag on the floor.” He added the second part of the sentence quickly before he lost his nerve prepared for her to say no.

Ella nodded.

“Might be best. I wouldn’t want Sammy to be upset.”

Roman nodded before reaching for a packet from the shelf.

“Do we want rice?” he asked her.

Ella looked at her shopping list.

“Yes.” She told him.

He placed it in the shopping cart.

“We’re being very polite.” He commented.

“I know.” She said quietly.

He smiled over at her.

“Perhaps we should do some shouting and general snapping at each other.” he suggested.

“You mean be more natural?” she asked.

He nodded.

“In which case why am I pushing the trolley it’s a mans job.” She snapped out still smiling at him.

Roman grinned and took over.

“What else do we want woman? I haven’t got all day I’ve got to go do man stuff not girlie shopping stuff.” He said to her.

She shook her head.

“Veg.” She murmured guiding him over to the greengrocery section.

“Pick up some Asparagus.” He told her. “I feel like cooking.”

Ella looked at him.

“Real cooking?” she asked cautiously.

He nodded.

“Real cooking.” He confirmed.

Ella moved to his side and stroked his back.

“Yes?” he asked raising his eyebrow.

“Can you do that cheese thing.” She said looking at him from under her lashes.

“Which cheese thing?” he murmured close to her ear.

Ella eased back and looked into his eyes.

“The baked Camembert with little toasts.” She said again in a soft tone of voice. She gave him another flirtatious look before biting her lip.

“Ok I give in before you start undoing the buttons on your blouse. Yes I’ll do the cheese thing.” He smiled at her.

Ella laughed and leaned up to kiss him before turning around and heading to the cheese counter. He watched her go, smiling because she seemed to be happier today as if the grief was leaving her. And with that thought he found tears springing into his eyes.

“Hey.” Ella said moving back to his side. She placed the cheese in the trolley and put her arm around his waist. “It’s ok.” she whispered.

“El.” He said feeling like an idiot for his breakdown.

“Its gets to me in unusual places.” She told him placing her fingers under his chin and forcing him to look at her. “The garden the other day when I was weeding the rosebushes. It struck me they would never smell roses and I sobbed for an hour.”

“Oh El.” He whispered. “Why have we been going through this alone?”

She shook her head.

“I don’t know. I think we wanted someone to blame so we blamed each other.” she said quietly. “I heard them cry Roman and then they were gone.”

Roman looked at her.

“Really?” he asked thankful his voice was calm.

She nodded.

“The next thing I knew was Rachel coming in and they placed a mask over my face.” She whispered. “When that doctor told me that they were gone I just wanted to curl up and die myself.”

Roman pulled her into his arms.

“Dr Andrews?” he asked quietly. “Not Rachel.”

Ella shook her head.

“No there was some confusion over her being called to the hospital. She didn’t get there until after the twins were born.”

“We better finish shopping.” He said after a time.

“Are we going to talk later?” she said biting her lip and looking uncertain.

Roman eased back and looked at her.

“Do you want to talk?” he asked softly.

She nodded.

“I need to.” She told him in that sad voice that broke his heart every time he heard it.

“Then we’ll find somewhere quiet to talk.” He promised.

Ella nodded and eased away.

“Perhaps you better go get me some mansize tissues.” He told her softly.

She looked at him and gave a slow smile.

“Wouldn’t wuss size ones be more your style?” she asked with a cheeky yet still sad grin.

“Hey I’m only a wuss where you are concerned. I’m manly everywhere else.” He told her flexing his bicep as he moved the trolley.

Ella giggled.

“Come on lets finish shopping.” He told her.

She nodded and took hold of his hand as he pushed the trolley forward.

Chapter 34

“Look I don’t want to prolong this we should just get a divorce.” Belle snapped out barely glancing at the marriage counsellor sitting opposite them.

“I told you that I don’t want a divorce.” Aden said again.

He leant forward his elbows leaning on his knees as he put his head in his hands. He pushed his fingers through his hair before looking at Belle.

“You aren’t listening to me. This is a complete waste of time.” Beel told him.

“And you aren’t listening to me. You’ve never listened to me. I told you that I would do anything to make it up to you over kissing El all those years ago. Move anywhere you liked. Do anything. But no, every time something happens you throw it back at me.” Aden stopped and breathed out before looking at his wife. “I kissed her. But we can’t talk about things you’ve done.”

“That was before we were married.” Belle bit out.

“But it doesn’t stop it hurting Belle so if you think I don’t feel like hell for what I did to you then you must be deranged.”

Belle glared at him.

“Oh so I’m deranged?” she screeched at him. “I must have imagined you telling Nic about your love for Ella. She’s so perfect isn’t she? The perfect wife. The perfect mother. A shinning example to us all.”

Aden looked at her.

“Are you jealous that I kissed her or just jealous full stop. “ he said to her leaning back in the brown two seater sofa and folding his arms across his chest.

Belle looked over at him.

“Is there a difference. It’s doesn’t change what I heard.”

“But it does change your reaction to it.” The counsellor intervened. “I think we have reached an important part here. Belle tell me why you believe this Ella is so perfect?”

Belle shook her head for a moment before looking down at her hands folded in her lap.

“I used to look up to her. Before she was Ella that was.” She began slowly. “Prize winning photographer who’d been around the world a half dozen times.”

Aden glanced at his wife and bit back a sigh at the wistful note in her voice.

“She told me that my pictures were good.” Belle added. “Elizabeth Addison.” She murmured a note of awe in her voice. “But then she settled here in Summer Bay and became a baby maker.”

Aden reached out and captured one of Belle’s hands.

“Your pictures are good.” He told her. “You shouldn’t need anyone to tell you that. You’ve had an exhibition.”

“Which Ella arranged.” Belle snapped out.

Aden shook his head.

“No she introduced you to the gallery owner the exhibition was down to you.” Aden said quietly.

Belle looked at him slowly.

He nodded confirmation.

“Seriously Belle I checked with him. Matheson right?” he said naming the gallery owner. “I didn’t want you to be disappointed so I asked him what he really thought of your photos. He said that they were some of the best he’d seen in a while and he thanked Ella for the introduction.”

Belle flushed.

“You did that?” she asked.

He nodded.

“Roman says that he will do anything for Ella well that’s nothing to what I’d do for you babe.” He said quietly.

Belle gave him a reluctant smile before frowning again.

“She’s the perfect mother.” She said bitterly. “I can’t work out what is wrong with Amy-Belle.”

Aden shrugged.

“She’s a teenager. Who can figure them out?”

“But she’ll talk to Ella.”

Aden squeezed Belle’s hand focusing her attention on him.

“You always told Amanda what was going on?” he asked softly.

Belle gave a reluctant grin.

“Ok you have a point.” She said.

“Belle I love you. I’m in love with you. For always. I’m sorry you heard me say that stuff because it isn’t true I was protecting Ella because she was my patient.” Aden murmured before he lifted her hand and pressed a kiss to the palm of her hand.

“Really?” Belle asked hopefully.

Aden nodded.

“Well shall we leave it there.” The counsellor said softly. “Perhaps we could pick this up at the next session. Shall we say in a couple of weeks time.”

“Two weeks?” Belle asked picking up on what the counsellor said.

“I think you two have reached a good point here. Lets see how you manage together. Obviously if you feel the need you can reschedule.”

Aden stood and reached out a hand to help Belle, something he knew he hadn’t done in a while he acknowledged guiltily.

Belle looked up at him and smiled.

“Is that ok with you?” she asked him.

Aden nodded quickly.

“How about we go out for a coffee now?” he asked her.

Belle gave him a shy smile.

“I would like that.” She said softly.

Aden moved over to the door and with a cheeky smirk on his face he opened the door for her grinning as Belle looked at him and blushed before walking through the door.

Roman looked over at Ella and smiled.

“Quit it.” she grumbled.

“Can’t help it. You purred.”

Ella blushed.

“I like that cheese.” She said quietly.

Roman chuckled.

“I think the kids liked it when you licked your fingers.” he told her looking round the table at them and seeing some grins.

Ella went bright red.

“Ok you’ve had your fun mister.” She muttered.

He leaned over and kissed her.

“Ice cream or something else?” he asked picking up her plate.

“Would you be able to do me some pancakes?” she asked him.

“Of course. What do you want with them?” he asked her.

“Do we have any syrup?” she murmured.

“Can I have pancakes too?” Sammy said.

Roman smiled at his son.

“Is that everyone?” he asked them.

“Ice cream for me please.” Sophie told him.

“Do you want to get it?” Ella asked her daughter. “There’s some cookie dough in there.”

Sophie smiled and picked up her plate taking it through to the kitchen. She turned and saw Meggy beside her.

“Cookie dough huh?” she asked her sister.

“Of course.” Meggy told her grinning.

“Ice cream.” Lily lisped.

Ella turned to her daughter.

“You want cream too?” she asked her.

Lily nodded.

“Liam?” Ella asked her son.

“Yes.” Lily told her.

“No babes let Liam talk.” Ella said softly reaching out and stroking Lily’s cheek.

Lily looked over at her brother.

“Liam.” She said waving her hand.

William looked at her and smiled.

“Cream.” He murmured.

“Want me to get them something?” Georgie asked her.

Ella nodded.

“There is some vanilla ice cream in there.” Ella said quietly. “If you could get some of that in their bowls and then some chocolate sauce.”

Roman looked over at her and smiled.

“First one is done.” He said moving the pan from the heat.

“Give it to Sammy.” she told him grinning at her son’s expression.

Roman nodded and placed it on a plate bring it out to Sammy. He grinned before adding syrup and cutting into it.

“Thank you.” He said his mouth full.

Ella chuckled at her son and then smiled over at her other son as he placed bowls in front of the two babies.

Roman moved out of the kitchen and placed a plate in front of her with her pancake on. He put his hand on her shoulder as he put the plate down grinning as Ella touched his hand.

“Thank you.” She told him lifting her face up as she looked up at him.

He smiled at her before lowering his lips to hers and kissing her. Moving back to the kitchen he cleared up the top before making a pot of coffee. Pouring out two cups when it was done he carried them over to the table and sat next to Ella.

“When you’ve finished we want you to go upstairs to your room. Georgie can you take Lily and Liam up please?”

“Daddy?” Sophie asked looking at them.

“You mum and I are having a talk. We want some privacy.” Roman told them.

“Really?” Ella asked him.

He nodded.

“They can watch a film in their room.” he murmured.

She smiled over at him.

“Ok.” she told him.

“Can we watch another James Bond?” Georgie asked.

Roman nodded.

“Cool.” Sammy said his mouth full once more.

“Samson manners.” Roman said softly.

He swallowed in a gulp.

“Sorry.” Sammy told him.

“Why does Georgie get to look after the babies?” Sophie asked.

“Because it will do him good and you do it a lot.” Roman said quietly.

“Oh.” Sophie said looking at her twin.

“Ok?” Ella asked her and saw Sophie nod.

“Great off you go.” Roman said.

He stood from the table and led Ella over to the sofa sitting next to her on the wide comfortable seat. He grinned at each of the children as they left the room before focusing on Ella.

“Ok we’re alone.” He told her.

“But I’ve eaten a really good meal. All I want now is to go to sleep.”

Roman laughed.

“Yeah I’ve heard that excuse before.” He told her.

Ella chuckled and moved a cushion into Roman’s lap before she lay her head on it as she snuggled down on the sofa.

“I felt like you blamed me.” She began.

“For what?” Roman said reaching for and holding her hand.

“Losing the babies.” She whispered her voice full of hurt.

“Because I was angry at you?” he asked her.

Ella nodded biting her lip.

“I was angry that you kept the fact that you were ill from me.” He explained. “I should have been told Ella. We should have talked about our options.”

“There wouldn’t have been options Roman you would have insisted on a termination.” Ella cried out.

“Maybe.” He agreed. ”But El, you had no right to keep that from us. I thought we’d reached the stage in our marriage where we didn’t do that stuff.”

Ella sighed and looked up at him.

“You would have worried yourself sick.” She told him.

Roman nodded.

“And you were afraid that we would be like before when you got sick?” he asked with sudden understanding.

Ella nodded.

“I did. But that was only part of it. When I took Sophie’s side I chose between my two daughters and I couldn’t do it again. I couldn’t choose the babies or our other children. I was just frozen. So I risked it and hoped that I could last a few more weeks and go for a premature birth.”

“Is that why you went to Miles to stay?” he asked her. “To..” he began to say.

“That was to try and chill out and just get some rest.” She interrupted him. “And because I felt so guilty for not telling you.”

“So nothing to do with Marcus?” he asked her and cursed when he felt her tense up.

“No we’re talking.” She told him reaching for his hand and resting it on her stomach her hand on top of his.

“You were wonderful with him.” Roman said quietly. “I expected, well, I don’t know what I expected but I should have known better.”

Ella smiled.

“He’s a nice little boy.” She said quietly. “And of course the children know who he is.”

“You reckon?” Roman asked her.

Ella nodded.

“Yeah.” She grinned. “Our kids are devious.”

“Yeah.” He agreed. “They take after their mother.”

“Oi!” Ella muttered.

Roman grinned and leaned down to kiss her.

“So are we in a better place right now?” he asked softly.

“I don’t know. We still have things to talk about.” She said with a sigh.

“Tell me.” He said after a while.

“I miss them.” she whispered. “How could I miss them.”

“Because you carried them here under your heart.” he said softly. “You spoke to them and gave them nicknames. They were real for you.”

Ella sniffed suspiciously but remained dry eyed.

“I needed to know…” she began.

“I was grieving too.” He told her.

She nodded.

“Of course I’m grieving.” He said squeezing the hand he was holding. “But on top of losing my babies. I nearly lost my wife and not only that she kept something from me for the second time.”

“I can’t say I’m sorry.” She said to him. “Because you know I’ll do anything to protect my family.”

Roman smiled at her.

“I’m never going to get used to that Ella.”

“Where does that leave us?” she asked him slowly.

Roman leaned down and kissed her again.

“I think this leaves us with dealing with a madman again, losing our babies and Martha’s whatever.” He said with a catch in his voice. “But we’ve coped before and come through it.”

“I don’t want to cope Roman. I want to know that when I go to bed at night the only issue I’m going to have the following day is getting Sammy to remember his sports kit.”

“Ella this is us. We’re always going to have to deal with bad stuff. But we can do that. We can cope with anything that comes our way. You are my strength El, you make things better.” He said to her. “Not to mention you know what I’m thinking often before I do.”

Ella gave him a weak smile.

“I still want to take things slow.” She whispered.

Roman nodded.

“I want us to sort out taking the DNA test with Martha.” He said after a while.

“Us?” she asked him.

He nodded.

“Don’t trust yourself with her then?”

“Ella.” He muttered giving her a glare. “I want to know what happened as much as you.”

Ella nodded.

“Ok. But you need to know that if it gets too much I’m going to back off.” She said softly.

“I can deal with that.” He murmured. “But I do want to see Marcus if he is mine.”

Ella nodded.

“Can we take it slow?” she asked him.

Roman kissed her.

“Yes.” He murmured.

“Is this a private moment?” Pete called walking in through the door. He paused and turned to speak to Jacko coming in after him. “I think they’ve made up she’s got her head in his lap.”

Jacko moved quickly to look at them before glaring at Pete.

“What the hell were you thinking?” Ella muttered blushing.

“You don’t want to know.” Roman told her grinning as she blushed some more.

She sat up and moved restlessly, sighing when Roman pulled her back against him.

“What have you got to tell us?” Roman asked the two men.

“We’ve got the fence round the property.” Pete told them referencing the fence that they had installed for extra security.

“And we’ve got a lead on your boy.” Jacko told them.

“About time.” Ella said frowning at them.

“See I told you she’d give me the look.” Jacko muttered looking at Pete.

“You lost the bet.” Pete shot back.

“Boys.” Ella said quickly cutting through the argument.

“Yes well he’s in a little town up the coast.” Jacko told them handing over a slip of paper.

Roman looked at Ella.

“We could take a little trip.” He suggested.

She nodded.

“Really?” she asked.

Roman smiled before leaning over and kissing her.

“Let’s go see our boy. Maybe bring him home for a visit.” He told her.

“I don’t think so.” Ella said hurriedly. “He’s safer where he is. We’ll just go take a look.”

Roman looked at Jacko and Pete before looking at Ella.

“Ok.” he said agreeing with her.

“Anyway we’re going up to bed, leave you guys some privacy.” Jacko muttered.

Pete coughed before ushering Jacko out of the room.

“They are incorrigible.” She muttered fussing with her top.

Roman nodded.

“El if you were unhappy with me you would tell me right? “ he said after a few minutes.

Ella turned to him and looked at him.

“What?” she muttered.

“I’m just being silly.” He stated. “Just forget it.”

“How am I supposed to forget that?” Ella asked pulling away from him.

“El.” Roman said reaching for her.

“No.” she slapped at his hands. “I’m going to go say goodnight to the children and have a bath before bed.” She muttered standing up and walking out of the room.

“Oh good question Harris.” Roman mocked himself looking at the way she moved out of the room. “She’s just spent an hour telling you she’s unhappy and you follow it up with that.”

He stood and moved over to the table clearing the last of the things from it and then tidying up the kitchen. He reached into the drink cupboard and took out a bottle of cream liqueur that Ella liked and poured out a glass taking it up the stirs through to their bedroom. He heard Ella in the bath and moved into the en suite.

“What’s this?” She asked him.

“Just thought you might enjoy it.” he said softly placing the glass on the side of the bath before kneeling down and reaching for the sponge.

“Oh no you don’t.” she muttered. “I don’t want….”

He raised his eyebrow.

“To be worshiped a little.” He said softly.

“Roman I’m not ready to sleep with you.” She told him folding her arms across her chest and he noticed that she covered up her breasts with the gesture.

“That’s ok.” he told her keeping his voice steady. “Will you let me hold you?” he asked.

Ella looked at him.

“I know you are happy with that but I’m not comfortable with you right now.” She was forced to tell him and hating herself for it because she knew that it would hurt him.

“Ok.” he said backing up.

She gave him a look and he groaned.

“El its ok.” he told her. “It’s going to take time.”

She shook her head biting her lip as her eyes filled with tears.

“It shouldn’t take time Roman. I’m your wife and I feel like I’m letting you down.” She whispered.

“El don’t ok, it’s ok.” he leaned down and kissed her before walking out of the en suite. Grabbing his things from the bedroom he moved down the hall and took a shower and when he moved back into the bedroom her saw that she was in bed.

“Are the kids ok?” he asked softly carrying his laundry through to the hamper in the en suite.

“Yeah they went to bed on time.” she murmured.

Roman came out of the en suite and turned off the light. He gave her an uncertain look.

“Get in bed.” She said to him. “But take it slow ok.”

Roman nodded moving over to the bed. He climbed in beside her.

“Is the alarm set?” he asked.

Ella nodded before easing down in the bed.

Roman smiled at her before leaning over and kissing her.

“Goodnight wife.” He said slowly.

She looked at him again before turning her back and pulling up the covers Roman watched her before reaching out and switching off the light.

“Hey El.” He said after a time.

“What?”

“Are you ready for me to hold you now?”

“Roman.” She groaned.

“Just checking.” He told her with a chuckle.

“You are….” She muttered.

Roman smiled in the dark when Ella turned and moved over to him.

“This doesn’t…” she began to say.

“Just holding you. That’s all.” He said.

He put his arms around her and bit the inside of his cheek not to sigh with contentment.

Chapter 35

“If you don’t go to sleep in a minute I’m going to knock you unconscious.” Ella threatened.

“I can’t help it. This bed is horrible and you…” Roman stopped.

“I what?” Ella muttered.

“It’s your hair.” He murmured.

“I knew you hated my haircut.” Ella snapped struggling to switch on the unfamiliar light on the bedside table. At last a circle of light shone over them in the antique brass bed and she sat up her arms folded across herself.

Roman looked at her and sighed.

“Yes actually I do hate your haircut. You know I like you with longer hair but that is not the only reason I hate it. It’s the fact that you cut it when you were alone and grieving.” He told her with a sigh.

Ella shook her head and glared at him.

“What?” he asked.

“I cut it when you didn’t come to me at the studio. “ she said finally.

“What do you mean?” Roman asked sitting up and impatiently fluffing the pillows behind him.

“I rang you and asked you to come to me and you ignored my call so the next day I was out in the mall and I walked into a hairdressers and told them to cut it short.” She murmured quietly. “Even then they would only cut it to my shoulders.”

Roman sighed.

“El I lost my phone. If I knew…”

“I left the message on the house phone.” She interrupted quietly seeing the look of shock on his face as he processed this latest information.

“I’m sorry that I didn’t get the message. So many people were ringing up that I barely listened to the machine.” He told her. “I’m sorry. Nothing would have stopped me coming to you.”

Ella nodded.

“But it isn’t that.” He said quietly. “I think you are a beautiful woman Ella Harris with long hair or short hair.”

“You think that soft soap is going to get round me.” She said glaring at him.

“But you smell different.” He continued.

“I used different shampoo.” she admitted blushing.

“I know. That’s the whole point.” He muttered. “When I wrap myself around you it’s different. I don’t want different.”

“Oh my god Roman Harris. Is this rant some kind of protest to convince me that you never cheated on me?”

Roman looked at her.

“Never mind.” He muttered grumpily.

He thumped the pillows again and turned his back to her settling down again in the creaking bed in the small seaside B&B they were staying in. Tomorrow they were hoping to catch a glimpse of their boy, Gabby’s lost brother. Although not a boy anymore, he would be 22 on his next birthday.

“No don’t do that.” Ella said slapping his arm. “Either talk to me or don’t but stopping halfway through isn’t fair.”

“We’re done El. You are never going to believe I didn’t cheat on you. Even here now just as we are about to see our boy it’s all you can think about.” He murmured staring into the gloomy darkness of the room.

“Fine then, we’re done.” She snapped back switching out the light and laying down her back to him.

He lay there for a few moments listening to the ticking clock that was the other side of the room. Then the sound of animals rustling around outside distracted him for a few more moments until the dawning night began to stretch out ahead of him as insomnia beckoned him down.

“Ella.” He said after a few minutes.

“What?” she answered.

“I can’t sleep.”

“Thanks for that insightful information there.” she muttered pulling the covers more securely around her.

“Fine.” He muttered.

“What the hell do you want from me Roman? Tell me please because right now I can’t figure it out.” Ella snapped sitting back up. She struggled with the light switch once more before finally switching it on.

“I want my wife back.” he said angrily sitting up and looking at her in horror.

“Maybe your wife died with your babies and you can’t have her back.” Ella whispered.

“I can’t believe that. She’s come back before. I want my wife with her long hair and sassy answers who would have told me off before now for not finding out who’s doing this to us. I want my wife back, the one who runs with me and challenges me. I want my wife back because she is my partner, my other half, my soul. I want my sweet lovely wife who would have held me and helped me through the grief of loosing our babies. I want to make love to my sexy wife because that is the closest I can ever be to her and then hold her through the night.”

Ella stared at him.

“She’s dead.” She murmured. “The woman who’d do all of those things is gone.”

“Why?” Roman asked her. “Why did you let her die?”

“Because she hurt too much.” Ella snapped out. “She lost her babies and fell apart. Her husband was off finding out if he had a son with someone else and she knew he’d try to replace the pain in her heart with a new child because that is what he does. He doesn’t face pain. He avoids it. Shields himself from it. So she left when she needed him most and when she found out that she really couldn’t do it alone she called for him.” Ella looked over at him seeing his pale face in the gloomy room and lowered her voice to a whisper. “He’s never been there when she’s needed him. So she went to the hairdresser, some anonymous person and got them to shear off her hair, the hair he so loved to touch and look at. The hair that defined her for him.”

“Ella?” he asked quietly. “What did you do?”

She looked at him and wiped her face so that it was devoid of the scalding tears falling from her pain filled eyes.

“Nothing. I did nothing. I thought about doing something so bad that I hated myself.”

“Were you…” he stopped wondering how to phrase the question thinking that maybe she had been so bad she had thought about doing something drastic. He hated himself for not being there for her.

“I had sleeping tablets so I took two of them and went to bed and in the morning some of those feelings went away. The hatred I had for you because you’d not come to me, and then self-hatred and even self-loathing for thinking about it. Wanting to hurt you.” She whispered. “And two days later I came home.”

“Ella what were you going to do?” he asked her.

She looked him in the eyes.

“I was going to go out and give my body to someone, anyone and let you know about it.” she murmured.

“To punish me.” He said softly.

“No.” she shook her head. “No in the end it would have been a punishment for me, knowing that was the one thing I could do that you couldn’t deal with that. That you’d hate me for. That would finish us for good.”

“Then what?” he asked.

“Then you’d divorce me and I’d disappear. I didn’t have to love you anymore.” She whispered.

“Because all the time you’ve loved me I’ve hurt you.” He finished for her.

Ella slowly nodded.

Roman closed his eyes and swallowed slowly easing the lump in his throat.

“And now?” he asked.

“Now?” she said in response. “Now, I just don’t know.”

Roman looked at her.

“But a part of you does know.” He said quietly. So quietly she strained to hear his words.

“Because I won’t make love with you.” She asked after a long pause.

Roman nodded.

She took a deep breath before she spoke. “That’s nothing to do with it. I’m scared.”

“Why?” Roman asked her stamping down on the hope that began to grown in his heart.

“I don’t want it to be bad.” Ella finally admitted.

“Bad because of us and where we are or bad because you’re scared of making love to me….” Roman asked softly.

Ella shook her head.

“I don’t know ok, I want to …” she looked at him and saw a smug grin appear on his face.

“Sorry.” He said after a moment.

“No you aren’t.” she glared at him before sinking down under the covers and turning her back to him.

“Ella Harris.” He whispered before snuggling down in the old brass bed with her. He leaned forward and kissed the back of her neck.

“Maybe I do like this haircut after all.” He told her. “I can kiss you right here easier.” He told her demonstrating.

“Roman stop.” Ella protested.

He blew across the back of her neck before kissing the rounded part of her shoulder easing the strap of her nightdress down her toned arm.

“I don’t want to.” She told him.

“Do I have to seduce your mind too?” he asked her softly. “Tell you I find this little freckle here exciting knowing only I can kiss it.”

Ella gasped as she felt him kiss a spot on her back.

“Or those similar ones on the inside of your thigh here.” He told her in the same silky voice as he ran his fingers teasingly up her thigh under her nightdress.

“I said stop.” She muttered weakly.

She reached out to slap at his hand but instead her fingers encircled his wrist as he moved his hand higher between her legs. She eased them apart at his touch letting his fingers tease her intimately.

“Do you really want me to stop?” he asked her feeling her arch back against him as he deliberately aroused her body.

“Yes.” She gasped out.

He gave a husky laugh before easing his hand away hearing a faint gasp of disappointment from her lips that she couldn’t control before kissing his way down her back. He eased the silken material of her nightdress away form her skin.

“When did you do this?” he asked slowly his fingers tracing a mark on her that hadn’t been there before.

“It’s nothing.” She whispered referring to the jewel coloured butterfly tattoo that she’d had done.

“It’s beautiful.” He told her kissing the butterfly tattoo that was on her back at the base of her spine. “It’s so beautiful.” He said again.

He ran his fingers up her spine before easing her on to her back and looking into her eyes.

“For our babies?” he asked her.

Ella nodded.

“So they could fly to heaven.” She said quietly.

Roman nodded before reaching out and tracing her lips with his finger. He leaned forward and kissed her teasingly at first then deeper with more passion hiding the triumphant shout when she put her hands around his neck and kissed him back. He teased her lips with his tongue smiling when her tongue teased him back flicking almost shyly against his lips before he kissed down her neck once more. He heard her little moans as he pleased her with his kisses and felt a strange tenderness for her in that moment and stilled.

“What’s the matter?” she asked him her own voice husky.

“I don’t want to hurt you.” He said quietly. “I want to pleasure you.”

“You are.” She murmured touching his face.

He leaned forward his lips against hers before easing back and looking down her body. His hungry gaze feasted on the curves of her flesh and the rumpled red silk around her waist that bared her breasts to him. He ran his fingers along the side of one hearing a sharp intake of breath from her before he kissed the pointed nipple. He teased it with his tongue inhaling the strawberry body cream she used on her skin as he kissed her, grinning when he was always surprised she didn’t taste of strawberries. He kissed his way down her body parting her legs and kissing her thighs.

“Why?” She asked him seeing his questioning look. “Why do you like doing that?” she finished blushing.

“I love the smell of you and the taste and knowing I can please you with my mouth.” he murmured. “Feeling you writhe with pleasure as I’m touching you amazes me because I’m doing that to you. I’m making you feel like that.” He explained.

“I don’t like it.” she whispered.

“It is not.” He began punctuating his sentence with kisses on her sex. “that you.” He continued feeling her hips move restlessly under him. “don’t like it.” he added more to the sentence his tongue flicking out at the small bud teasing it. “It’s that I see you lose.” He murmured his fingers trailing up her thighs. “control.” He finished the sentence as his fingers touched her once more intimately while he kissed and licked her.

He felt her fingers winding in his hair as she touched his head and then the strange tenseness to her muscles as she arched herself up. The small moans and sighs grew more frequent until she gasped and stilled and then her hands fell away from him.

“Did I please you?” he asked quietly moving up her body.

She nodded before her head fell back on the pillow.

Roman smiled and kissed his way back up her body until he lay close to her.

“Do you want to stop?” he asked her.

“But you haven’t…” she said softly.

“I don’t need to.” He said quietly although his throbbing body would disagree with that sentence. “If you want to stop its ok.” he said stroking her hair back from her face.

“No.” she whispered.

Roman looked into her beautiful blue eyes.

“I love you wife.” He said quietly kissing her lips once more.

She wrapped her arms around his neck and felt his leg nudge hers apart once more.

“Just tell me to stop and I will.” He murmured feeling her still in sudden panic.

“I don’t want you to stop.” She said unable to erase the uncertain note in her voice.

“You are beautiful.” He told her stroking down her back as he held her.

He lowered his head to her breasts again, kissing first one then the other before suckling on her rosebud nipples. He felt her moving under him and sighed softly his breath rushing over her aroused flesh.

“Oh.” He heard her moan softly.

He grinned before blowing across her nipple watching her squirm at the sensation.

“Do you like that witch-wife?” he asked her looking into her eyes.

“Yes.” She whispered.

He blew one more time before kissing her nipple.

“Make love to me.” She murmured to him.

He moved then easing himself into her feeling her sheath him. He felt her sudden stillness and he gazed into her eyes.

“El?” he whispered.

“Go slow.” She told him her lips pressed together.

He paused kissing her again and again feeling her hands on him touching him everywhere she could reach pleasuring him and he sighed against her lips. She gasped as he moved his hand down to her hip and then between them teasing that delicate bud once more. His lips fused with her kissing her again and again until her felt her relaxing once more under him. She moved her legs wrapping them around him as he began to love her again.

“Ok.” he whispered questioningly to her.

She nodded kissing him and holding on to him as they made love reaching the peak together.

“Feel free to rate me out of ten.” He told her moving to lie beside her.

He eased her into his arms and pulled the covers over them

“Seven.” She said softly. “Maybe seven and a half.”

“Ok then I’ll obviously have to improve.” He told her smiling as he stroked her hair back from her face. “Are you ok?”

“You keep asking me that.” She muttered.

“Answer the question.” He told her kissing her again.

“I’m fine. It was fine. Well pretty good actually.” She told him her fingers trailing up the arm he had wrapped around her.

“Would it help if we went to counselling?” he asked her after a time.

“Why?” Ella asked puzzled.

“I don’t know, maybe grief counselling. I want to do anything to help us get through this together.”

“Through this?” she asked a bitter note in her voice.

“Through this grief.” He said quietly. “I don’t think that losing out babies is ever going to be something we can get over just like that.”

“I’m sorry.” She whispered ashamed of herself.

“El.” He murmured. “We’re only just learning to talk to each other again. I know I have a history of avoidance where emotional stuff is concerned so why shouldn’t you believe that part of me thinks that with just a click of my fingers we’re going to be over losing the babies.”

“Oh god Roman.” She whispered.

She turned in his arms and wrapped hers around his neck as she began crying her sobs shaking her frame. He held her clinging her to him wishing like anything that he could something to make this better for her. He thought back to what she’d said about hearing the babies cry and he frowned. He’d been told they were stillborn but if that was the case how could she have heard them.

Hey, thanks for the comments!! Tele xx :D

Chapter 36

Roman walked slowly through the door followed quickly by Ella. He scanned the bookshop and smiled when Ella moved in front of him and over to shelf that held books on travel. She picked up one and started flicking through the pages before absentmindedly putting it back and bringing one of her own books to the front. Her finger traced the spine before she moved over to the next shelf.

“El.” Roman murmured when she stilled in front of him.

“That’s Tobias.” She murmured with certainty.

“Yeah ok, stop starring.” Roman told her giving her a slight push in the opposite direction.

“Roman I have to hear his voice.” She murmured.

“I had a feeling you were going to say something like that. I’m prepared to lift you up and carry you out of this shop.” He threatened.

Ella looked at him and pouted.

“How about if I do that thing you like. You know when I use my tongue.” She murmured trying to distract him as she moved towards the other man. She looked down and saw Roman’s hand gripping her wrist. “Oh?” she said in surprise.

“Yeah.” He told her.

“That isn’t fair.”

“Offering me sexual favours in order to distract me is fair?” he asked her with a smile.

“And what is that smile for?” she muttered grumpily.

“Because she told me my wife was dead but she’s here in front of me.” Roman said quietly leaning close to her. He inhaled deeply. “Still doesn’t smell quite right though.”

Ella looked at him with narrowed eyes.

“You!” she muttered pushing him.

Roman laughed and leaned over to kiss her before putting away the book he had been looking at.

“Hello can I help you?” Tobias asked.

He’d moved over to them unnoticed whilst they had been talking.

Ella looked at her son and smiled blinking back tears

“No thanks we’re just browsing.” Roman murmured.

“I noticed you looking at a book by Elizabeth Addison.” Tobias said slowly looking at Ella.

“Yes.” She confirmed her voice husky.

“Surely you have your own copies?” he spoke directly to her.

Roman stroked his hand down Ella’s back smiling because his beautiful wife who usually had an answer for everything was suddenly struck dumb.

“Yeah.” She said eventually. “But you know what they say Tobias you can never have too many of anything.”

The young man looked at her and nodded slowly.

“So where was your favourite destination?” he asked after a moment.

“It was when I call you Tobias wasn’t it?” Ella asked him with a glance down at his name badge on his uniform shirt. The black embossed lettering on the white square of plastic read Toby, Store Manager.

He nodded.

“Only my birth parents would know that Toby is short for Tobias.” He pointed out glancing at Roman. “I look like you and I have your eyes.”

Roman nodded.

“You do.” He confirmed. “Sorry we weren’t planning on disrupting your life.”

“Oh thanks, first you throw me away and then you look me up but you don’t want to know.”

Ella gasped.

“No it’s complicated.” She exclaimed stretching out her hand to him. “We only found out about you a little while ago.”

“How could you have a baby without knowing about it?” he scoffed looking at the pair of them.

Roman and Ella shared a look.

“Actually two babies.” Ella said biting her lip, ignoring the bemused look from Roman.

“What?” Tobias asked stepping back and folding his arms across his chest.

Roman shot another bemused look at Ella from seeing the familiar gesture on the other man.

“Is there somewhere we can sit down to talk?” Ella asked. “If you want to that is?”

Tobias looked around before nodding and moving through the back of the bookstore. He took them through to the office and gestured to the two chairs near his desk.

Roman stood to one side watching as Ella sat down before he sat next to her. He felt her hand taking hold of his and he smiled until her felt the tremor that betrayed how hard she found this.

“It’s ok.” he murmured to her.

Ella nodded and looked over at her son. Her tall good looking son and smiled tearfully

“I was 19” she began.

“Are you my father?” he asked Roman interrupting her.

Roman nodded.

“We met when we were in Afghanistan.” Roman supplied.

Tobias nodded looking into Ella’s eyes.

“I thought that I had a miscarriage and I became very ill. I was on strong medication. When you were born you were taken away and so was your sister.” Ella said finishing in a whisper.

“I have a sister?” Toby said slowly.

Ella nodded and reached into her pocket taking out her phone. She scrolled through her pictures on it before finding one of Gabby and held it out to him. Their fingers touched as he accepted the phone from her and she sighed happily at the brief contact.

“You have..” Roman began. “Nicole, your half sister, Aden your foster Brother, Mike your adopted brother who is also your cousin. Sophie and Georgie are twins. Then you have Meggy and another brother Sammy.”

He stopped when Ella placed her other hand on his arm.

“I think you lost him about two siblings ago.” She said softly. “Suffice to say you have lots of family around.” she paused her hand shaking. “If you want to meet them that is.” She added sounding uncertain.

“So why didn’t you come and find me when you found Gabby?” Toby asked her.

“Because we still didn’t know about you. When we found out about Gabby no one mentioned a twin.” Roman said slowly when Ella became too emotional to speak.

“Ok.” Toby said softly.

“Your parents were good to you weren’t they? I mean you had a good life? We wouldn’t want to upset them.”

Toby leaned forward and handed Ella’s phone back to her.

“My parents loved me very much. They were killed in a car crash a few years ago.”

Ella sighed quietly before looking at him.

“I’m very sorry. I hope that with our coming here you don’t think we want to dishonour your memory of them in any way.”

Toby shook his head.

“I’ve been looking for you.” He admitted. “But the birth record told me that Elizabeth Clark was my birth mother and I couldn’t find her.”

Roman looked at Ella.

“It was done by the Hospice where I gave birth. They gave my mother’s maiden name as my own.” Ella explained handing over one of her business cards. “Look this is a bit much to take in let me give you our contact details and leave you to think things through.”

“We’re staying at the B&B in town for another couple of days.” Roman added.

“We are?” Ella asked.

“Have you forgotten that thing you promised to do?” he asked back biting back his grin at her automatic blush. “Besides it means that if you have some questions we’ll be on hand.” He said to Toby.

Toby nodded.

“I think there will be questions.” He promised.

Ella smiled at him.

“Right I’m going to get her out of here before she asks for baby photos of you and tries to hug you.”

“Hey.” Ella protested following Roman out as he moved through the shop over to the door.

“I’ll be in touch.” Toby told them as left.

Ella felt Roman put his arm around her as he led her over to a nearby café. He guided her through the door and sat at a table with her.

“What can I get you?” the waitress asked them.

“Two black coffees please.” Roman asked.

The waitress nodded.

“Anything else? We have lunchtime specials.”

“No thanks.” Ella told her and watched her walk away. “So what do you think?” she asked Roman.

“I think he will be in touch.” He murmured. “Tobias?” he asked.

Ella blushed.

Roman smiled at her as he thought back to a time over twenty years ago.

“Look will you be careful.” Roman muttered taking the heavy storage box from her and placing it on the floor.

“I’m fine.” Ella told him glancing around her tent before climbing down off her chair and moving over to kiss him.

“Hey you.” He said quietly.

“You need a shower solider.” She told him wrinkling her nose up.

“I know I’m on my way there now but needed to come and see you first.” Roman said softly.

He reached out and caught a lock of her long hair winding it around his finger.

“How about when I get done I come and see you again. This time for a few more of those kisses.”

Ella smiled at her handsome solider.

“Sorry but I have a date with one of my university assignments.” She murmured easing away from him.

He let go of the strands of silken hair and kissed her again.

“Ok.” he said kissing her once more before walking out of the door.

Ella smiled as she watched him go before turning to that heavy storage box and pulling out the folder and books she needed spreading them on the small picnic table that served as table, desk and, she remembered with a blush, something else entirely. She grinned as she thought about that and the wobble the table seemed to have since it threatened to collapse under their combined weight. Her thoughts kept her smiling as she picked up her pen and started writing.

She only looked up when Roman walked back in an hour later.

“What are you doing back?” she said and shook her head at how ungracious she sounded.

“I’m hanging with my girlfriend.” He announced pulling out his diary and another book.

“Oh really?” Ella asked him.

Roman nodded settling himself down on her bed.

“Really. Do you have a pen?”

Ella shook her head before reaching into her pencil case and throwing one to him.

“Really?” he asked picking up the pen from his chest where it landed. “I hope when we are married you don’t throw things at me.”

Ella looked at him her mouth dropped open.

“Married?” she asked him.

He nodded.

“I suppose you are going to insist on climbing on stuff and then lifting boxes when you are pregnant too.”

“Pregnant?” she gasped out. “And how many times are you planning to get me pregnant?” she added after a minute standing up and putting her hands on her hips.

“Oh I imagine it will be just the once.” He said softly looking at her.

“Really? What if I want a big family?” she glared at him.

“I imagine that you do but you’ll go for a natural birth and I’ll never get near you again. Apart from that drunken Christmas party of course.”

Ella tried not to smile but he looked so serious frowning over the rim of his diary as he looked at her.

“And what are we going to have?” she said stilling her lips to prevent herself from grinning at him.

“A boy.” He announced.

“uh huh.” She muttered folding her arms.

“Called Tobias and then finally a little girl called Holly who always wonders how she got her name when she was born in August.”

Ella shook her head as she laughed at him. She saw him put down his diary and the pen he had been using and she went over to him grinning at the look on his face.

“I love you Ella Addison.” He whispered stroking the hair back from her face and kissing her.

“You’re just saying that to have your way with me.” She told him avoiding the desire to say the words back because that would make her too vulnerable

“I am indeed.” He agreed with her. “I might just have the burning desire to kiss those freckles of yours.”

“Tobias huh?” she asked.

Roman smiled before kissing her.

“Feels kind of old fashioned.” She muttered after a minute.

“And what would call our son?” he asked easing back so he could look into her eyes.

“Jacko Junior.” Ella said softly chuckling as she heard his roar of indignation. .

“You….” He muttered.

Ella kissed him.

“I want to keep you on your toes.” She murmured.

“You’ll always manage to do that.” He promised her.

“I like the sound of an always with you.” She whispered against his neck her arms wrapped around him.

“Can I just point out that I was on drugs.” She said to him. “I had no idea what I was doing.”

“You knew enough to call our boy that.” Roman said reaching out to hold her hand again.

Ella smiled.

“Still waiting for Holly.” She said quietly.

“I’ll tell Meggy that’s her new name.” Roman said just as the coffee arrived.

Chapter 37

Roman pounded along the unfamiliar beach thinking about nothing and everything. He’d finally shared a memory of them back in the day and didn’t end up reaching for the whiskey or blaming her for something. He grimaced at the amount of times he’d done that and wondered why, not for the first time, she put up with him.

“Da…er….Roman.” Toby called out running up from the surf towards him.

“Roman.” He corrected him. “You already had a Dad and I’m not taking his place ok.”

Toby smiled before using the towel he’d snatched form the sand to wipe at the moisture falling from his wet hair.

“Ok Roman.” Toby confirmed. “Where is er…Ella?”

“She’s back there somewhere.” Roman gestured to the town behind them.

“She doesn’t run?” Toby asked with a frown. “She looks in pretty good shape.”

Roman smiled.

“She does but well she’s recovering at the moment. Looks like pretty good surf out there.”

“Oh it is. Part of the reason that I stayed here. Love to get out on my board first thing in the morning.” Toby said grinning. “Nothing better than catching some tubes you know."

“Well aside from the early morning bit sounds like Ella.” Roman told him.

“Where are you from?”

Roman looked at him.

“How about we go sit down?” he suggested.

Toby nodded and they moved together along the beach towards a bench. Roman sank on to it gratefully acknowledging how he was getting older.

“We live in a small town called Summer Bay.” Roman began and went on to tell Toby about his parents’ restaurants and Ella’s studio.

“I’ve looked Ella’s biography. She’s been round the world a dozen times. Have you never thought about travelling with her?”

Roman nodded once.

“She’s loves it in the Bay.” He murmured wondering if that was true anymore, thinking of the way she’d had taken the children to England the previous year.

“I’m not sure that I’m ready to be part of that.” Toby admitted frowning. “The big extended family.”

“Trust me there are some mornings I wake up I think why am I doing the school run and not out surfing or something else. But as time moves on I see my kids grown up and watch how their personality changes and I’m so grateful to Ella for coming to me and giving me the honour of being a Dad.” Roman said quietly. “But we are cool if you want time whatever, but we would like you to meet them at some point.”

“They know about me?” Toby asked curiously.

Roman chuckled.

“Just be thankful we never told them we were coming here. You wouldn’t have had a choice about seeing them. I think Georgie, you younger brother, would have camped out in your bookstore.”

Toby laughed.

“Likes books then.”

“He inherited his brains from his mother and seriously you ever tell her I said that I’ll have to deny it.”

Toby grinned.

“Maybe that can be our secret.” Toby said after a while before they lapsed into silence each of them lost in their thoughts.

“Just to let you know Summer Bay has some good surf.” Roman interjected looking out on the waves.

Toby laughed once more before looking at Roman.

“Aren’t you afraid I’m going to come after your money or something.” He asked slowly.

Roman shook his head.

“I don’t have any.” He murmured. “And it’s just money to Ella she doesn’t really care as long as the bills are paid and there is enough food to feed everyone.”

“My mother sounds wonderful.” Toby said after a pause.

“She is. Of course, I’m biased because I’m in love with her.” Roman grinned at the shock on Toby’s face at his confession.

“You really do love her?” he asked.

Roman nodded.

“Absolutely. I’m sorry that things got so mixed up and we didn’t raise you and your sister but I’m relieved that your other parents were good.” Roman said leaning forward and watching the sun slipping towards the horizon. “Now I better go and finish my run.” He said softly. “Toby I hope that one day you’ll visit us.”

Toby stood up and watched as Roman sprint off in the direction he came before sitting back down and looking at the horizon himself for a long time.

Roman got back to the B&B to shower and change before he went to catch up with Ella on the main street. She had a couple of bags in her hand and was looking in the window of the town’s estate agents. He frowned at her preoccupation with it. She was so engrossed he got right next to her before she noticed him.

“Hey you.” He called out.

Ella spun around and looked at him.

“Oh!” she gasped.

“Hey.” He said again. “What’s going on with you?”

Ella turned back around and pointed to a house listing in the window.

“What do you think of that?” she asked him.

Roman looked at the six-bedroom property in the advert and frowned.

“It’s ok but a bit pricey.”

Ella nodded.

“I want to go see it.” she announced.

“El we aren’t moving.” Roman said frowning.

“But why not? What has Summer Bay got for us? We can start again here.” She murmured turning and gazing at the picture once more.

“Ella come on. We can’t move the kids are in school and I have work.”

“I want to go and see it.” she said as though he hadn’t spoken and he frowned looking at the picture again.

“Didn’t you hear me?” he asked.

Ella nodded.

“The kids can change schools.” She murmured. “And it’s not like you have to work.” She shrugged.

She turned and looked around the street before swivelling and moving towards the door of the agents.

“Ella.” Roman called catching hold of her wrist.

She looked down at his hand around her wrist and tugged uselessly trying to get away.

“I want to see it.” she muttered. “It will be afresh start and we’ll be close to Toby.” She explained.

Roman shook his head.

“I don’t know where this has come from but we can’t just move Ella. We have to respect that Toby isn’t ready to be part of our lives yet.” Roman said and swore as Ella yanked at her arm trying to get away.

“No. He just needs to get to know us.” She said dropping the bags and trying to undo his fingers from around her wrist.

“Ella stop. We aren’t moving. The kids would hate it.” he explained. “And I’m not going to be a kept man.”

She looked up at him.

“I knew you wouldn’t listen.” She shouted at him. “Let me go. I’m buying that house.”

Roman frowned at the out of character way she was acting before groaning as she clawed at his wrist and yanked trying to get free.

”Ella.” He called out. watching as her eyes didn’t even seem to focus on him. “Elizabeth.” He called desperately.

He was unprepared when suddenly she collapsed sobbing to the street.

“El come on.” He said looking around seeing that a few people were watching. He gathered her things before lifting her in his arms and carrying her away. He found a side street cutting through to were they were staying and took her, thankfully unnoticed up to their room.

He placed her carefully on the bed and sat next to her at a loss what to do. She continued to sob as though her heart were breaking and he groaned feeling so helpless in the face of her grief until the cryign eased and she looked up at the ceiling unfocused.

“that was some crying.” He said softly.

She nodded not speaking.

“Can you tell me whats going on?” he asked her.

Ella shook her head.

“Ok El we’re going home tonight.” He announced.

He kept half an eye on her as he packed up their things and put evertyhing in the holdall.

“Can you walk?” he asked after a moment.

She nodded still not talking and he frowned before seeing her stand up. He guided her out to the car and sat her in the passenger seat before stowing the bags in the back. It took a few minutes to settle their bill and he half expected the car to be empty whilst he went inside sighing with relief when she was still there. Climbing behind the wheel he pulled out of the parking lot and drove them to the bookstore, parking outside. He ignored the no parking sign and moved over to the door not surprised by the closed sign and door being locked but he peered inside and saw Toby stacking shelves and he knocked on the door.

“Hey.” Toby called out opening the door.

“Sorry we’ve got to go home.” Roman explained.

“Ok.” Toby said looking disappointed.

He glanced over at the car and saw Ella sitting in the car.

“She ok?” he asked quickly.

“We haven’t’ told you but we just lost two babies. They were still born. I think its got a bit too much for her.” Roman said his voice breaking.

Toby paled.

“God.” He gasped out.

“Yeah it’s pretty heavy that’s why we didn’t tell you and also.” Roman stopped looking over at Ella. “It’s pretty raw for us.”

“Stay there a minute ok.” Toby said.

He turned and rushed into the back of the shop returning a moment later he walked past Roman and over to the car. Ella turned then and focused lowering the window.

“Mum this is for you.” Toby told her handing over a photograph album. “My other mum would do two shots all the time and I never knew why until they told me I was adopted. She thought that one day you would come and need to see these.” He explained.

Ella nodded tears falling from her eyes.

“It’s ok.” Toby told her leaning in and kissing her cheek. “I’ll see you soon ok.” he promised turning to Roman. “Dude.” He smiled at him.

“Take care mate. And you will have to come see us soon.” Roman said a catch in his voice.

He held out his hand to Toby and saw the other man shake his head.

“No mate.” He said before hugging Roman.

He watched as the other man once more got behind the wheel of the car and drove off looking pensive.

Chapter 38

“El.” Roman called quietly. He waited a heartbeat and sighed before speaking again. “Ella.”

She rolled over in the bed and looked at him.

“The kids are in school and Lily is at nursery. Can you look after William?” he murmured.

She rolled back over without speaking.

“Ok.” Roman said after a moment.

He shook his head and walked out of the room.

“Still not talking?” Jacko asked from the landing. He was stood next to Pete and the two shared a concerned look.

“No.” Roman said quietly closing the door behind him subconsciously shielding Ella from their view.

“Is there anything we can do?” Jacko asked ignoring the look that Pete gave him then at the question.

“Unless you want to take care of William while I’m at work, no.” Roman said tiredly rubbing at his eyes.

“Sorry. I’ll face the taliban but your kids scare me.” Jacko said giving an authentic shudder.

“Kids?” Pete muttered. “Wuss!”

Jacko looked over at his friend and gave a small smile.

“I don’t see you volunteering.” He pointed out.

“As fun as this is.” Roman said interrupting them. “I have to get to work.” He moved into the nursery and collected William taking a bag of toys and things to keep him occupied.

“Roman.” Pete murmured.

“I have to go.” He stated cutting off whatever the other man was going to say. He walked down the stairs and out of the house without a backward look.

“You were right Jacko.” Pete said after a moment. “They ain’t doing so good.”

Jacko nodded.

“I know. I thought she was doing better too.” He muttered rubbing a hand over his face. “Never expected to see her turn her face to the wall and give up despite the dreams.”

“Dreams?” Pete picked up on remembering some comment from Roman about Ella’s dreams before.

“Yeah,” Jacko flushed feeling embarrassed. “She told me she wake up every night hearing the babies.” He admitted not making eye contact with the other man. He took a breath and looked at the closed wooden door.

“I wonder what we can do?” Pete asked him.

“Find out who’s after them.” Jacko said with feeling. “And if it’s somehow Gardy back from the dead I owe him a bullet.” He added his eyes narrowed remembering the gunshot he’d received from the other man.

Pete gave a quick laugh before sobering again. He shared a look with Jacko before the two men moved down the stairs.

Mike raced into his lecture hall late once more for his lesson. He nodded apologetically at his tutor and took a seat quietly at the back. He waited an age before he dared move and opened up his textbook. He knew he was a hairs breath away from failing this and another of his courses but he was just too wound up to focus on anything. First Sophie, then his mother losing the babies and now the Gardy thing. Maybe he should defer this year and come back next year start again. Although he was already older than most of his counterparts and there was a danger he would decide not to come back at all.

“Mr Addison.” The tutor called out after the lecture finished.

“Yes sir.” Mike said quickly.

“I think it’s reaching the point where we have to decide if this is what you really want to do. I’ve seen your transcripts from the army. Your previous degree was a first with honours so it is not like you can’t apply yourself.”

Mike grimaced and sat back down.

“Would you believe that we have had family issues.” He said to the older man.

“I would. We were made aware of your recent bereavement via the deans office.” His tutor said slowly. “Which brings us back to making a decision.”

Mike groaned.

“It’s not that I’m not working.” He stated. “But it’s all too much to take in right now.”

“We can see that but quite frankly you are not doing enough to maintain the early promise you showed us.” The tutor told him bluntly.

Mike swore under his breath but he could tell by his tutor’s expression that he’d heard.

“What are my options?” he asked softly.

“Quit. Catch up.” His tutor replied bluntly.

“And if I decide on the former can I reapply next year?” Mike murmured looking down at his fingernails.

“I have to be honest. You had a two-year break between your degree and the masters’ programme. If you decide on the former I highly doubt that you will make it back.”

Mike shook his head before standing.

“I have to go home.” He announced. “I’ll let you know my decision tomorrow.”

He moved out of the lecture room and out to his car. He was home within an hour and made his way into the main house.

“Mum” he called out pausing to listen before calling again. “Mum.”

He raced up the stairs and knocked on the door of the bedroom before opening it concerned by the absence of the younger kids. He saw her huddled form in the bed and moved around to her side. His gaze immediately rested on the empty pill bottle by her side and he swore before reaching out for her. Yanking back the cover he took hold of her arms and shook her.

“How could you be so selfish?” he shouted.

“huh?” Ella whispered croakily.

“How many have you taken? Why mother? How could you do this to us again?” Each word was punctuated by a shake.

“Mike?” she whispered sleepily. “What is going on?” she asked finally.

He looked at her and tears sprang inot his eyes.

“How many did you take?” he shouted his face next to hers as he shook her.

“Mike.” she said again and pushed at his hands.

“I’m calling Aden.” Mike ground out. “I can’t believe you’d do this to us again.”

Ella pulled away from him and slapped his arm.

“What?” he gasped out.

“I took two tablets.” She murmured. “I have only taken two tablets.”

“Two?” he moaned rubbing at his eyes.

Ella nodded before reaching out to him.

“Two. And they are mild. Even if I took twenty it probably won’t do me any harm.” She told him. “I’m sorry for scaring you.”

“You’re sorry?” he muttered.

She nodded.

“I’m sorry that ..” she stopped unable to talk.

“Oh Mum.” Mike gasped out.

She put her arms around him and held him to her.

“I’m sorry I just thought back to that time after Sammy was kidnapped.” He tried to explain his voice breaking.

“I promised you then that I wouldn’t do that to you.” Ella told him. “I meant it.”

Mike gave a feeble nod.

“You’ve been so down though.”

“I know. It’s been so hard to get through this. I keep trying. It’s like.” She stopped taking a deep breath. “It’s like I’ve been acting like myself because everyone expects it not because I feel those things. I’m just so tired and I know that’s because of my depression but I can’t shake it.”

Mike eased away and looked at her.

“How can I help?” he asked immediately.

“How about you wait here until I’ve had a shower and brushed my teeth and then we’ll talk about you.” She said softly.

“Three days comatose and she still knows when something is wrong.” He muttered looking up at the ceiling.

“Of course I’m still your mother.” She told him standing up out of the bed and easing slowly over to the en suite. He heard the shower come on and sighed. Straightening up he walked over to the door and made his way down to the kitchen to make a pot of coffee.

“That feels better.” She said joining him.

“I’m sure Dad won’t say he told you so.” Mike murmured to her and saw her rueful grin.

“And I’m sure he’s having fun with William at the diner.” She grinned for a fraction of time before sobering. “Now spit it out.”

“I’ve been slipping in my studies.” He muttered. “And I’m thinking of giving it up.”

Ella looked at him before sipping the coffee he poured out for her.

“Do you want me to talk you out of it giving it up?” she asked him.

Mike starred at her as he realised that was exactly what he wanted.

“Ok.” he muttered.

“You can do anything you set your mind to Mike. Set some boundaries. Danni will understand. Go stay in the studio if you need space and want to be closer to Uni.”

Mike grimaced.

“I don’t think Danni will understand me leaving when you are so down and there is someone out there.”

“Course she will.” She said. “She’d much rather you go and get this done for your peace of mind than give it up and regret it afterwards.”

“Thanks Mum.” He said after a time.

“No problem.” She murmured standing up and kissing his cheek. “Now I’m off to rescue your father or William.”

“Are you so sure he took William with him?”

“From the amount of swearing I heard this morning? Pretty sure.”

Mike chuckled and watched her disappear out of the door.

Chapter 39

Roman looked at William biting his bottom lip and sighed. He’d just told him off and now it looked as though he was going to start screaming or crying, again.

“Liam.” He began in a cajoling voice.

Liam looked up at him and kicked his legs out straight so that he was sliding off the seat. Roman reached out to stop him going underneath the table when he knocked over the beaker of juice and the lid he’d hastily attached decided to shoot off pouring the sticky liquid everywhere. Liam looked at this before holding out his hand to slap it down in the orange liquid. He saw the satisfying splash and did it again.

“William.” Roman shouted once more. “Stop it.”

Liam took one look at him and screamed. Tears rolled down his face and he kicked along with waving his hands.

Roman watched as his son slid off the seat and bright orange liquid dripped down to the floor.

“I hope you aren’t going to make me clean that up Roman Harris because you know my mathematics are playing up.” Colleen shouted over William’s screaming.

Roman gave her a narrow eyed stare before moving into the kitchen to collect a cloth. He swore when he saw one of his pans burning on the stove and managed to scold himself taking it off before dropping it on the floor. More swearing followed and he stared at it for a second before heading back out to clean up the spilled drink. He didn’t notice that William had moved from under the table and had made it to the door.

Righting the beaker he picked it up and took it through the kitchen with the damp cloth and put both beside the sink. With a sigh he collected the dropped pan and put that to one side before heading back out.

“Liam?” he said quietly bending to look under the table followed by more swearing. “Colleen did you see which way he went?” he muttered looking at the other woman.

“Who?” she asked before frowning. “Oh no.” she added looking around.

“Dammit.” Roman swore again as he felt the mounting panic.

“Good job I’ve got his ears covered.” Ella said from behind her husband.

“El?” he asked before spinning around.

He took one look at her and grinned before picking her up with Liam still in her hold balanced on her hip and kissing her. Liam kicked fussily.

“Hey.” She murmured softly after he lowered her back to the diner floor. She glanced around at the people watching before taking hold of Roman’s hand and leading him into the kitchen away from prying eyes and Colleen.

“Missed you.” He told her simply.

“Not mad at me for…” she began.

“No just frustrated that I couldn’t help you.” He confessed. “Sorry if I…”

She stopped him with another kiss.

“I’ve not been sleeping Roman. I keep…” she stopped looking at Liam before continuing. “I keep hearing my babies crying for me and I can’t go to them.” she admitted with a catch in her voice.

“El.” He said helplessly.

“I know.” She whispered. “I just needed the time out.”

“Let’s go see Rachel. Let’s find out what happened that night.” He said after a minute.

Ella gave him a look.

“What do you mean?” she asked before swapping Liam to her other hip. “Putting on weight little man. Been eating all of Daddies donuts or has Anti Leen been giving you cake.”

Liam looked at her and smiled.

“ ’ake.” He told her and pointed.

“In a minute.” She whispered and kissed him.

“Ok how did you do that?” Roman muttered. “When I tell him that he screams.”

“Magic.” Ella murmured with a half smile. “Back to what you were saying.”

“You heard them cry. Some doctor told me they were stillborn. Either they were dead at birth or they died soon after. But the story doesn’t match up El.” He told her finally relieved that he could talk to her at last.

She gave him a look blinking back tears.

“Don’t.” he said softly. “We’re here together. Just hang on a minute while we finish this discussion.”

Ella nodded pressing her lips together.

“And that doctor. I’ve never seen him before. Trust me with all our kids, grandkids we’ve been in and out of that hospital pretty much.” He added.

“Speak for yourself. I don’t have any grandkids yet.” She said injecting her usually sassy tone into her voice.

Roman smiled at her and gave her a small nod of encouragement.

“Shall we go and see Rachel then?” he asked after a moment.

Ella nodded not trusting her voice.

“Ok “ he said simply. “Are you going to take him home?”

“Nope. You can keep him. You are doing a wonderful job.” She said softly.

Roman swore again before catching the teasing look in her eye.

“I don’t know what it is but he’s into everything.” He told her after a minute.

“Always was if you distracted Lily long enough to let him do his own thing.” Ella told him grinning up at him.

Roman smiled before reaching out and stroking her face.

“Don’t go away again will you?” he said suddenly. “I missed you.”

She blinked back tears again.

“Sorry I was just so sad.”

“I know my wonderful wife.” He murmured putting his arms around her and their son. “It’s just really hard to deal with.”

Ella nodded as she snuggled against him.

“Now who wants cake?” he asked after a minute.

Ella nodded again.

“I am strangely hungry.” She admitted.

“Uh huh.” He told her. “Go on then.” He gave her a nudge back out of the kitchen and turned around washing his hands before seeing to the food. He got out the customers order first and then cake and drinks for Ella and Liam. He left them too it to get the kitchen straight and make a phone call, speaking softly with the other person before heading over to the table.

“Rachel can see us tonight.” He said quietly.

Ella nodded once before focusing on Liam leaving Roman to go back and finish the call.

“Its ok.” he murmured coming to sit next to her.

She gave him another nod sipping quietly at her coffee.

“I really didn’t know Liam was such a handful.” He said again. “Now that he’s not in Lily’s control.”

Ella laughed.

“They are the naughty babies. Makes Meggy seem angelic.”

“That bad? God El how do you do it?” he asked before he could stop himself.

“I bribe them with sweets.” She whispered leaning close.

“Nic has Lily this afternoon. What say we go home for a while.”

Ella nodded.

“I’d like that.” She admitted.

He stood and cleared the table watching as Liam helped Ella put his things away in his bag with a smile before leading them out.

“Where is your car?” he asked frowning as he looked around the parking lot.

“I walked.” She said finally.

“El.” He muttered.

“It was ok I needed the fresh air.”

Roman nodded avoiding further comment before taking William from her and placing him in the car. She handed him the bag next and saw him tuck that in beside their son before he turned and pulled her into his arms once more.

“Hey.” She murmured.

“sh!” he told her. “I just want to hold you for a minute.”

“Roman.”

“I believe I said sh.” He murmured grinning.

He eased away from her after a minute before leaning down and kissing her. His lips gentle on hers before he felt her hands reaching for him. She wound them around his neck and pressed herself close to him. He found himself running his hands down her body as he eased her back against the passenger door of the car, one leg pushing in between hers.

“Ok.” he murmured pulling away after a moment. “Guess I missed you.”

Ella placed her hand on the side of his face.

“I missed you too. I just couldn’t….”

He put his finger on her lips.

“I was angry thinking that you had given up on us El, but I got to thinking after having to look after Liam for a couple of days just how much you do for us. Even when I’ve got the kids it doesn’t feel like I do everything you do. I just feel helpless without you and that isn’t easy for me to admit. “

“Liam been driving you nuts?” she whispered.

Roman nodded.

Ella glanced at her son now dozing in the back seat.

“Guess I better stay around then.”

“Don’t even joke about that Mrs Harris.” Roman growled at her.

She gave him a smile and then frowned as he laughed.

“What’s so funny?” she murmured.

“You just gave me a smile.” He told her. “My smile.” He added possessively in a quiet voice.

“Oh you.” She said turning and opening the car door. She paused and looked in the distance. “It’s Martha.”

“One hurdle at a time.” he said. “We’re seeing Rachel tonight.”

“I should go speak to her.”

“Ella please. I can’t bear for you to be upset right now. We’ve got far too much going on to add on anything else.” He begged her.

She looked at him and saw the uncertain expression on his face before nodding.

“Ok.” she told him. “But I have to speak to her at some point.”

“Thank you.” He said with a sigh and held the door for her watching as she climbed inside the car. He closed the door quietly and moved around the car getting behind the wheel and starting the engine. He couldn’t quite hide his grin when he felt Ella’s hand touching his knee.

He drove them home watching as she carefully put Liam down for a nap. He couldn’t hide his smile as he looked at her.

“Stop it.” she muttered after a time.

She walked through to the kitchen and made a pot of coffee. She poured out the hot liquid into cups and handed him his before easing outside to sit on the veranda. He joined her sitting next to her.

“Do you want to talk?” she asked him.

Roman shook his head before looking out on the green of the lawn stretching down to the pool and beyond, the orchard. His gaze settled on the stables in the distance and he felt a shiver go through him remembering Ella running to get to the horse.

“That night.” He said softly.

Ella looked up and then over in the direction of his gaze.

“Yes?” she asked him.

“When you had to wait while went out on missions, I know what you went through now.” He told her quietly. “Has Sophie talked to you about another horse?”

“I think she wants to wait until this is over. She’s growing up Roman, horses are going to be a thing of the past soon.”

“She is always going to be my little girl.” He murmured wryly.

“Yeah keep telling yourself that.” Ella smiled softly.

“This stuff that is going on…” he began.

“She’s ok Roman. I was going to send her to spend some time with Angel and do normal girlie things but well we got distracted by my being…” she stopped wondering how to phrase it.

“I’ve been trying to keep things normal El.” He told her quietly.

“So they’re probably worried to death right now.”

“Hey.” He grouched.

“Sniper.” She said quietly almost whispering.

“I tried to tell you so many times.” He said standing and walking over to his herb garden. He began weeding it absentmindedly whilst he fought to find the words to tell her what he felt about those days. The horror on her face when she found out had haunted his dreams adding more fear to his paranoia that he was going to lose her somehow.

“Better not dwell on it.” she told him. “It was a long time ago and I know what you went through.”

“El?” he gasped out her name spinning around and looking at her.

She smiled at him and he staggered towards her falling to his knees as the emotion got too much. He rested his head on her lap and felt a sob going through him robbing him of thought. She stroked his head lovingly letting him get this out of his system.

They moved into Rachel’s office together the storm of emotion leaving them raw.

“We’re going to be ok.” Roman was shocked when the words he’d been desperately trying to say came form Ella. He looked over at her surprised at how small she seemed next to him.

“El.” He said simply.

She nodded.

“We need to know.” She murmured. “What ever it is.”

He nodded again and led her inside.

“Roman Ella what can I do for you?” Rachel asked showing them into seats over on her long office sofa. She waited until they sat down before sitting opposite crossing her slim legs at her ankles as she looked at them.

“You can tell us about our babies.” Roman began. “What happened that night?” he asked.

Ella reached out and clutched desperately at his hand squeezing it tight within her own grip. He gave her a reassuring look before glancing back at Rachel.

“As you know there was some delay before I was paged.” Rachel said slowly.

“No.” Ella bit out tautly. “I got told you were unavailable until you performed the hysterectomy.”

“Ella.” Rachel said puzzled.

She eased forward in her seat and looked Ella in the eyes.

“What hysterectomy?” she asked slowly.

Ella gave a moan and began to shake. She thought back to her and Roman in the B and B making love and the dread of being pregnant again swamped her.

“Rachel.” Roman began feeling Ella tremble next to him. “Tell us that again.”

“We didn’t need to perform a hysterectomy. I got there and Ella was fine. The babies were delivered and the bleeding was minimal. Your blood pressure was normal.” Rachel told them quietly frowning as Ella sank back against the cushions.

“Why did you think that I had done a hysterectomy?” she asked her.

“I remember it being talked about and then you came into the room and put the mask over my nose and mouth. You said everything was going to be ok and then when I woke up Dr Andrews was there.”

Rachel fixed her gaze on Ella.

“What did he say exactly?” she asked maintaining eye contact with Ella despite the curious look from Roman.

“He told me that the babies were dead and that you were called in to perform the operation.” Ella recited feeling the words scrapped out of her.

“Like that?” Rachel murmured.

Ella nodded.

“Ok can you stay here. I need to go get your file.” Rachel told her.

Ella nodded once more watching as her friend got up and walked out of the room.

“El shush ok.” Roman told her. “Let’s focus on this.”

She raised panicked eyes to him.

“We had unprotected sex Roman.” She gasped out.

“I know and it was pretty good.” He told her in response.

She glared at him before a half smile twisted her lips.

“Hang on wife I know this is hard for you.” He whispered.

“Not so easy for you.” Ella shot back.

“Ok.” Rachel said softly coming back into the room. She opened the file and began reading looking up after a minute and fixing her gaze on Ella.

“What is it?” the question coming from Roman.

“There are no death certificates in here.” Rachel told them. “And,” she paused. “We don’t have a Dr Andrews on staff.” She added finally.

“What are you saying?” Ella asked her voice rising hysterically.

“El.” Roman murmured taking hold of her hand once more. He clamped down on the hope growing inside him that their babies were alive somewhere but then frowned.

“We saw two babies.” He told Rachel.

She gave him a nod.

“I checked when I went out to get your file.” She said slowly. “There were two other recorded deaths that night.”

“Well along with your non existent doctor two of your nurses are in on this.” Roman snapped out.

“Roman.” Ella said quietly. “I need to go home.”

“I know.” He said. “Hang on.” He added before looking back at Rachel. He saw the other woman pale and he couldn’t blame her, he felt pretty wretched too. “What are you going to do to find out whats going on?”

“We need to have an investigation.” Rachel said quietly. “Review what we know about this mysterious Dr Andrews.”

Roman nodded and wanted to ask more but he took in Ella’s shaking form and held out his hand to her. She stood up and staggered over to him.

“Let me give you something to calm you down.” Rachel said immediately.

“No.” Ella snapped out. “I don’t want to be calm. I’ve felt like I’ve been going mad Rachel. I heard them cry and every night in my dreams I still hear them. Now you are telling me what? That we never lost them? That someone out there has my babies?” She shouted to her.

Rachel flinched from her anger and watched in concern as Roman led his wife out having to hold her up for most of the way. She waited until the door closed before she went over to the phone and began making calls. First to security to get hold of the CCTV tapes for that night and then to Charlie to tell her of a possible kidnapping.

Chapter 40

Ella lay silently in bed next to him and fort he third night she hadn’t been able to sleep. Tears seeped silently into the pillow and although she felt Roman’s arms tight around her she couldn’t seem to get any comfort from his touch. She felt the beat of his heart and the steady rise and fall of his chest as he slept on beside her before hearing the tread of footsteps on the creaky floorboard outside their room. She tensed when Roman came instantly awake beside her. He clicked on the bedside lamp and sat up.

“What is it?” she asked him as he climbed out of bed.

“Nothing. Go back to sleep.” He told her.

“Roman.” She called his name quietly turning and sitting up.

He shot a quick look at her before walking over to the door and opening it a fraction. She heard murmured voices and then Roman closed the door and came back over to the bed.

“What is it?” she asked him again.

“Ella please go back to sleep.” He said reaching for his bathrobe.

She gave a small bitter laugh before looking at him.

“I wasn’t asleep.” She told him when he looked at her. “Now what is it?”

“El.” He said giving her a look.

“No.” she gasped out giving him a horrified expression.

“El.” He repeated. “It had to be done.”

“You dug up their graves.” She gasped out tears falling from her eyes.

“Look Charlie is downstairs I need to go see her.” he said quietly hating himself for not holding her right then.

Ella pushed back the covers and swung her feet to the floor.

“No Ella.” He told her. “You can’t.”

She ignored him and pulled on her bathrobe before putting her feet into slippers and walking over to the door. He had no choice except to follow her and they walked downstairs together.

“Ella.” Jacko burst out with her name when he saw her.

“Shut up.” She told him wiping at her face. She moved over to sit on the sofa crossing her legs and folding her arms across herself. Jacko and Pete shared a look before sitting opposite.

“Ella.” Charlie said quietly. “After getting the report from Rachel we approached Roman to see if we could exhume the graves.”

Ella gave her husband a cold look before focusing back on Charlie and what she was saying.

“Jacko and Pete came with us tonight. Ella.” Charlie paused.

“Just spit it out. Stop fussing around me.” Ella snapped.

“That graves were empty. We contacted the undertakers and they were told by the hospital that a mix up had take place.” Charlie stopped looking at Roman. He gave a short nod his eyes focused on Ella. “And that the bodies of your babies were cremated at the hospital. We’re pulling the phone records from the hospital.”

“Why?” Ella asked and she heard Jacko hiss in a sharp breath. She glanced at him before looking back at Charlie seeing puzzlement on her face at her question. “Why do you need to look at their phone records?”

“Oh.” Charlie murmured. “Because the undertakes keep a phone log of date and time of every call received. We want to double check that the hospital didn’t call them.”

Ella stood and looked around the room.

“So who has my babies.” She said bitterly.

“Ella I’m sorry but we just don’t know.” Charlie admitted.

“Who is this Dr Andrews?” Ella said slowly. “Why haven’t you found him yet?”

“Ella these things take time.” Charlie was forced to say. “We got his picture from the CCTV footage of that night but haven’t been able to identify him. Certainly not by that name.”

Ella slapped her hand down on the coffee table in front of her causing Roman to flinch. She saw all eyes on her.

“It’s been three days and you know nothing. Let me tell you what I know. Someone came into that hospital and took my babies from me. They lied. They gave me someone else’s dead baby to hold and told me that was mine so either you start finding out who has my babies pretty damn fast or I will and I swear that I won’t stop at asking polite little questions. I am not …… going through this again.” She spat out.

Jacko flinched when her heard Ella swearing but stepped forward next to her.

“Girlie.” He said quietly. “If we could give you answers we would. I’m sorry it takes time but we have to follow procedures.”

Ella shook her head.

“And all the time you take I have to deal with my babies crying in my dreams.” Ella bit out. “And what if whoever has them is like Gabby’s other parents? You think I’m going to be able to bear that again? Find my babies or so help me I’ll do it somehow.”

Roman looked over at her and nodded.

“Ella.” He said softly. “There is only so much they can do.”

“Have they checked the state medical board to see if this doctor is registered.” She muttered. “Or has been struck off. What would be his motive for doing this? Would it be money?”

Charlie turned to her.

“We’re doing all that.” She told her.

“Do it quicker.” Ella snapped.

“Ella that’s enough.” Roman said finally.

“That’s enough?” she asked bitterly. “When our babies are out there somewhere? How did he get them out of the hospital? Have you looked for a car?” she shot out with more questions.

“Ella trust me we are doing everything we can to find him.” Charlie promised her.

“Gardy.” She said looking at Roman as the thought occurred to her. “He liked to torture. To find weak points and push and prod.”

“Gardy is dead remember.” Charlie said puzzled.

“Funny thing about that.” Jacko said looking at the policewoman. “He apparently contacted Jacob and tried to turn him against us.”

Jacko caught Roman looking at him at his use of the word us in that statement and gave a wry grin to the other man.

“I’m sorry but that is too weird. Trust me I checked that he was dead. I saw his body.” Charlie murmured slowly.

“Well whoever this is apparently is the spitting image of Gardy.” Jacko found himself saying. He looked at Pete and then Roman. “No.” he muttered.

“Would explain it.” Roman murmured.

“Twins?” Ella said slowly. “I never heard him mention a brother.”

“Hang on a minute.” Charlie said slowly. “According to his file there was just him and his father.”

“No his mother left when he was about 5 or 6.” Ella said quietly. “His father beat him whenever he asked about her. I think that made him hate women.”

Roman looked at her and moved over to her side feeling her take his hand. She looked up at him and nodded.

“So we check his birth record and then perform a search for any other children born to those parents.” Pete said thinking aloud.

“And then what?” Ella asked them. “How is that going to help you find him?”

Pete looked over at her.

“We’ll have a name Ella. If we have a name we can get a record of what they did, where they’ve been, “ he was about to continue when he saw Charlie look at him. “And other stuff.” He finished.

“Then what?” she muttered.

“I think they’ll be happier finishing that sentence without me.” Charlie suggested slowly.

Pete grinned at her.

“Maybe.” He said to her.

“I need to keep things legal boys if I’m going to help.” she told them.

Ella shook her head.

“What is the point of legal Charlie? What does it do? You never protected us from Gardy or Elliot or now this new person. When does it end? Why does my family have to be hurt over and over again? Sophie and Gabby lost their horses. Jacob…” Ella stopped what she was about to say and lapsed into silence.

“Jacob what?” Charlie asked slowly.

“Nothing.” Ella said.

She pulled her hand noticeably away from Roman and moved away to the French doors at the end of the room and looked out on the garden.

“Tell me about the horses then.” Charlie said when silence descended on them.

“Someone shot their legs forcing us to put them out of their misery.” Ella said bitterly. “Maybe someone should do that to me.” She added in a quiet voice.

Roman stepped forward to go to her when he felt Jacko’s hand on his arm and the other man shook his head. He felt himself get angry, not just about the familiar way Jacko was with his wife but stopping him from going to her.

“Maybe we should if you are giving up on us Ella.” Jacko said slowly.

“Don’t get clever with me Jacko. Do you have any idea what it is like to go through this again? To hear the name Gardy again and again?” Ella turned and looked at the other man.

“No Ma’am. Guess I don’t know what it’s like to go through what you’ve done, but I know what it’s like to lose people. You ever ask yourself why I joined up Missy? No I guess you didn’t.” he looked at her face and inclined his head slowly. “There was just me and my sister growing up. She was older than me and able to tell the authorities to take a hike when they came to take me away after my parents died. She got with this bloke. He treated her real good until she got herself pregnant then he ran out on her quicker than your Lily after a cat.”

Ella looked at the other man as he spoke.

“She died giving birth, her and the little one. She was all the family I had Girlie. So I got myself drunk and I went over to this man’s house where he was sitting down with his wife and family and I threw a brick through his window. I swear to god if I could have done I would have killed him but I looked up and saw one of his kids staring at me beating the living whatsits out of him and I stopped. They gave me choice the army or jail.”

Ella walked over to him and placed her hand on the side of his face.

“I know.” She murmured. “Mike told me.”

“Your brother?” he muttered checking.

Ella nodded.

“Well not the full story just mostly the assault and the jail bit. But I knew there had to be a reason for it.”

“You have to make the best of the hand you are dealt Girlie.” He said gruffly.

Ella nodded again before looking over at Roman. She saw his expression and made a small movement with her head before going over to him.

“I’m going to leave you.” Charlie said softly looking around the room once more. “I’ll speak to you tomorrow.”

Roman nodded before escorting the woman to the door. He watched her go through the door before closing it quietly and moving back though to the lounge.

“Ella.” He called.

She nodded and moved over to his side.

“We’ll talk in the morning.” Roman told the other two men before he led Ella back up to bed.

Archived