Broken

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 60

Roman walked into kitchen smiling as Ella blushed when she looked at him.

“I love that you do that.” He murmured close to her ear.

“I don’t.” she snapped out.

“But it’s so cute.” He said. “To have you incredibly wild and then to see you all blushing.”

Ella glanced over at the dining table where some of the children were sitting making sure that they were not overheard.

“Roman stop it.” she hissed out placing her hands on her hot cheeks. “Dinner is nearly ready.”

Roman chuckled and moved over to her placing his hands on top of hers before leaning down and kissing her.

“Lily and Liam are bathed and in bed.” He murmured easing away and moving over to the fridge. “Sophie will be down in a minute.”

Ella nodded.

“She’s growing up fast.” Roman groaned.

“Lily or Sophie?” Ella grinned over at him.

“Sophie.” he muttered before he got the joke.

“She’s a beautiful girl.” Ella said giving the rice a stir on the hob before lifting the pan off the heat. She drained it in the sink before serving it up on plates.

“Did you hear what she said about Modelling?” he asked slowly.

“She’s not beautiful enough for that. She’ll get so far but not high fashion.” Ella murmured. “It’s not something I’d recommend anyway.”

“And the photography?” he asked.

“Let’s see.” Ella said. “I’ve never seen her interested in it before. I’ve got an old camera she can have.”

“She’s….” he stopped looking over in the hallway. “Sophie.” he cried out.

“I’ll show you both that you are wrong.” Sophie cried out wiping at the tears on her face.

Roman stepped forward when her felt Ella hold on to his arm.

“Ok then.” Ella told her.

Roman met his wife’s gaze with a puzzled one of his own.

“Now it’s dinner time sit at the table please or help carry plates through.” She added.

“Mum?” Sophie frowned looking at her.

Ella smiled before heading back to the cooker and took the curry off the heat. She picked up the serving spoon and began dishing out.

“Dad?” Sophie mumbled puzzled stepping forward.

“We think you are beautiful Sophie.” he told his daughter.

“You do? Then why don’t you think I’ll be a model?”

“Your mother has photographed some beautiful women and done high fashion. I dare say she knows what you need to get somewhere in the business.” He said quietly.

“And you don’t think I have it?” Sophie murmured in a calmer voice.

“Not to get to the top. You’ll be a popular model but probably not a top earner.” Ella told her. “If you want to prove me wrong then go ahead. But I’d rather you find something that you want to do not because you feel you have to be like me in some way.”

“How did you….” Sophie cried out stepping forward. Ella moved to her daughter and kissed her cheek stopping her talking.

“Dinner is served.” She told her and watched as a flustered Sophie began moving plates to the table.

“And you wonder why I leave the kids to you.” He grouched.

Ella gave a little tinkling laugh moving over and kissing him.

“Go eat your dinner.” She told him before moving to the microwave and taking out hers walking over to the table.

She saw all the kids seated around the table eating the curry with the naan bread.

“Mum this is good.” Sammy said quickly. “I was so hungry.”

Ella grinned at her son.

“Mummy.” Meggy began.

“Yes sweetie?”

“Can we have a film on later?” she asked.

“Upstairs in your room.” Roman told them. “I want to spend some time alone with Mummy.”

“You do?” Ella asked him.

He nodded.

Ella began to speak when they were interrupted by a timid sounding knock on the door.

“I’ll go.” Roman told her standing up and kissing her cheek as he moved past her to the door.

“It might be Santa coming to tell you that Sammy is on the naughty list.” Meggy cried out dramatically.

Sammy glared at her and opened his mouth to say something when Ella spoke.

“I don’t think so Meggy because he already told us you were all on the naughty list.”

“Hey!” Georgie cried out.

Ella laughed at her son before turning to see Roman in the doorway. He gave her a pained look before stepping to one side and letting her see behind him.

“Marcus.” Sammy cried out grinning.

“Hello.” The little boy said shyly.

“Have you had dinner?” Sammy asked going over to him.

Marcus shook his head looking at Ella.

“Roman?” she asked.

“Perhaps we should talk in the study?” he suggested slowly putting his hand in his pockets.

She nodded and stood up from the table moving over to Roman and walking with him to the study. She watched as he closed the door quietly before turning to face her.

“Martha has dumped him here.” He told her.

“She what?” Ella shouted.

“She dropped him off and waited to make sure one of us answered the door before driving off. According to Marcus we are to take care of him.” he told her trying to keep the panic out of his voice.

“I told you what would happen. I’m not going to be under the same roof as that boy.” Ella snapped out. “How could she do that if she loved him?”

“Ella keep your voice down please.” Roman murmured. “That little boy is lost enough without being made to feel unwanted a second time in one day.”

Ella paced over to the window and looked out on the darkening sky before turning around and looking at Roman.

“He is unwanted. Choose.” She snapped out.

“Then I choose him.” Roman said quietly. “Because he’s innocent in all this Ella. He didn’t ask to be drawn in and he didn’t ask for his mother to abandon him.”

“But his father won’t is that what you are saying? You’d rather take care of him than be a father to our children.” She shouted. “Than be a husband.”

“I can be both. It’s only your pride that is making this difficult.” Roman said to her.

Ella head snapped back as though he’d slapped her.

“My pride?” she said in a strange tone of voice.

“Ella look, it’s only one night. Tomorrow we’ll sort something out.” Roman said quickly taking a step towards her.

She gave a small nod before walked across the room ignoring the hand he stretched towards her and out of the room. She took a look across the hallway where Marcus’ stuff was piled up and moved to the stairs. Roman watched her walk up them before heading into the lounge walking over to the table. He saw that the kids had settled Marcus on to a seat and put a plate of food in front of him. The young boy picked at the meal looking scared.

“Is Mummy ok?” Sophie asked.

“She’s fine.” He told her wondering if that were the case. “You ok Marcus?”

“Is she mad at me?” Marcus asked putting his fork down and looking at his plate.

“No Marcus she’s just a little tired.” Roman murmured softly.

”We’re going to watch a movie in a bit.” Sammy pronounced. “When we’ve finished dinner.”

“What are we having for desert?” Sophie asked.

“I don’t know.” Roman was forced to admit. “Perhaps some ice cream.”

Sophie nodded.

“Eat up Marcus.” She encouraged. “We’re waiting for you to finish.”

He gave a little gulp and picked up his fork taking a bite of the dinner before putting his fork down again.

“I’m not hungry.” He said slowly tears falling down his face.

Roman’s heart went out to him and he wanted to give the boy a hug like he would his own kids but sudden fear of losing Ella kept him distant.

“Marcus.” He said slowly.

“Shall I take him to our bedroom Daddy?” Sammy asked. “He’s probably tired.”

Roman nodded and watched as Sammy and Meggy moved with the little boy taking him out of the room. He saw them pause in the hallway as Marcus collected something and continued up the stairs.

“Daddy can we have the ice cream now?” Sophie asked slowly glancing at Georgie.

“Clear the table please and you can help yourselves. Get some for Meggy and Sammy too.” He told them standing and walking distractedly out of the room. He took the stairs two steps at a time until he was stood outside their bedroom. He put his hand on the handle expecting to find it locked and was surprised when it opened. He saw Ella sitting on the bed.

“El.” He said softly.

“Is he gone?” she asked without turning around.

“He’s with Sammy.” Roman ground out.

Ella nodded and stood going over to the wardrobe.

“No!” he shot out striding to her side. He placed his hand on the wardrobe door and pressed stopping her from opening it.

“I told you I’m not staying if he is.” Ella said flatly.

“He’s a little boy.” Roman said to her. “How is that threatening?”

“Because you kissed his mother today.” Ella bit out. “And if that little boy stays here you’ll have to keep seeing her. She’ll never leave us alone.”

“So you think leaving me is going to save our marriage?” he asked. “What kind of screwed up logic is that?”

Ella turned and looked at him.

“I’m not saving our marriage.” She told him. “I’m leaving before it gets….”

“You are not leaving.” Roman roared out. “What about what we talked about today? Does none of that mean anything? You know when you said you loved me?”

“No.” Ella said softly. “Staying with you and watching the marriage disintegrate because you won’t choose.”

“I can’t choose between you and an innocent boy.” Roman shouted.

“Choose between me and Martha.” Ella continued as though he hadn’t spoken.

“There is no me and Martha.” He shot out.

“There will be.” Ella said.

“Oh so you know that I’m going to be unfaithful? Right now you can guarantee it can you?”

Ella nodded.

“Are you going to tell me that when it gets bad between us you won’t seek out someone sympathetic?” Ella said slowly.

Roman looked at her before shaking his head in disgust.

“That was years ago.” He said in a shaken voice.

Ella looked at him.

“I have to know that I can trust you and that she won’t be a threat to our marriage Roman and if Marcus is here in our house she’ll always be there. So for my peace of mind you have to make a choice.” Ella said slowly.

He stepped back and looked at her a look of horror on his face.

“I’ll…” he said but was unable to finish the sentence. He turned and moved out of the room and down the stairs. Walking through to the kitchen he took out a glass and poured out a measure of whisky for himself. He saw that his hand was shaking as he picked up the glass to drink, draining the contents. Placing the glass on the top he turned around and moved to the stairs walking up them slowly until he reached the kids room.

“Daddy?” Meggy cried out.

“Hey Megs.” He said softly. “I need to talk to Marcus.”

Meggy looked at him and frowned before stepping away and letting him walk over to the little boy.

“I need you to come down stairs.” He told Marcus holding out his hand.

Marcus paled and stood up slowly clutching his teddy bear to his chest. He walked over to Roman and took hold of his outstretched hand walking with him out of the room. Roman led him down the stairs and towards the next set of stairs. He walked past their open bedroom door passing a sideways glance at it.

“Roman.” Ella called out stopping him.

“Ella.” He said quietly.

She walked over to him and placed her hand on his arm.

“Thank you.” She said quietly. “Marcus how about a cup of hot chocolate?” she asked bending down and looking at the little boy.

Marcus looked up at her and nodded shyly.

“Come on then.” She said to him and took hold of his other hand sharing his grip with his teddy bear.

“Ella.” Roman said puzzled.

“You showed me.” She told him quietly.

He shook his head and watched as Ella took Marcus down the stairs. She settled him on the sofa and tucked the throw around him and his teddy, moving to put on a film.

“Ok?” she asked him.

Marcus nodded.

“Back in a moment.” She said with a gentle smile.

She stood up straight and walked into the kitchen next to Roman.

“So what was that?” he asked sounding bitter.

“I needed to know that I was more important.” She said quietly.

“Of course you are important to me.” Roman shot out sounding bitter. “But playing games with a little boy? I expected better from you Ella.”

“Sorry to disappoint you. Perhaps I should leave after all.” She told him folding her arms around herself.

“Don’t you dare.” He shot out.

“Turn it around Roman. Suppose that he is my little boy with another man, born during our marriage.” She began.

“And what about Meggy?” he asked immediately unable to stop himself.

Ella stepped back and looked at him hurt on her face.

“I meant when we didn’t know that she was mine.” Roman said slowly.

“You always have to bring it up. How magnificent of you to stay with me with my rapists baby inside me.” Ella said to him. “What an amazing man you were. Well you weren’t that amazing because you made me feel …”

Roman stormed out of the kitchen and to the front door. He pulled it open and walked out.

Ella watched him go before following him. She stood next to him.

“Why Ella.” He asked.

”Why what?” she asked.

“Why is all this spite coming out?”

“Because you pressed old wounds.” She murmured. “Meggy needs protection and you can’t use her.”

“That isn’t just about Marcus.”

“Maybe not.” She said. “But we need to finish that discussion. If he were mine born of an affair you think you could accept him?”

Roman looked at her and began to nod his head before stopping himself.

“No.” he said finally. “Not from an affair.”

“But you expect me to.” She pointed out.

“It’s different.” He bit out.

“How?” she asked him.

“Because you are better than me.” He snapped out. “You are more loving.”

“And stupid.” She added.

“God Ella stop ok. Stop pushing this.”

Ella looked at him and spun around heading into the kitchen. She pulled out a large pan and began making hot chocolate. Turning she saw Roman standing next to her.

“Because you give second chances, because you care for people, because you love me even when I’m being an idiot.” He said quietly. “That and the hundred and one other reasons why you’ll take that little boy into your heart and protect him like you would the others.”

“Flattery will get you some hot chocolate.” She murmured.

He gave her a smile before moving over to stand behind her and take her into his arms. She leaned back against him.

“I could use some hot chocolate.” He admitted.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 61

Roman woke as Ella got back into bed beside him.

“Whatisit?” he asked her mumbling the words.

“Nothing.” She whispered. “Back to sleep.”

He rolled over in the bed pulling her into his arms and snuggling.

“Ella.” Marcus whispered coming into the room.

“What is it now?” she asked tiredly.

“I had a bad dream.”

“Again?” she asked.

Marcus nodded.

“Come on then.” She said lifting up the covers.

Marcus walked carefully over to the side of the bed and climbed in.

“huh.” Roman muttered into the back of her neck.

“Sleep.” Ella said with a sigh setting the little boy into the bed.

Marcus began crying trying to muffle the sound with his teddy bear.

“It’s ok.” Ella whispered to him pulling him into her arms.

“I miss Mummy.” He told her.

“That’s ok too. But you’ll see her soon.” Ella promised him.

Roman gave a sigh and rolled over in the bed pushing away the covers before he stood and strode into the en suite. Ella heard muttering before he came back out and walked over to the bed.

“Its 3am.” He told her.

“I know that.” She said softly snuggling Marcus closer to her.

“Fine.” Roman grumbled.

“Go to sleep.” Ella told him.

He climbed back into bed and grumbled some more mumbling into his pillow as he got into the bed. Settling down he pulled the covers up and closed his eyes.

“Mama.” Lily called out.

Ella bit back a swearword and lifted Marcus onto Roman’s chest.

“What?” he asked coming back awake and looking at the little boy.

“Lily is calling.” Ella said in explanation climbing out of bed again. She moved barefoot to the door and into the nursery using the nightlight to guide her.

“What is this Lily girl.” Ella whispered moving to kneel by her daughter’s bed.

“Tummy.” Lily murmured rubbing her stomach.

“You got tummy ache?” she asked her and saw Lily nod.

“Come on lets go get some medicine.” Ella said lifting her out of the bed and carrying her downstairs. She walked with her into the dark kitchen and reached a hand to the light switch flicking it on.

“Hey sweetie it’s Biscuits.” Ella pointed out one of the cats to her daughter.

“Kitty.” Lily cried out softly before looking at her mother. “Juice.” She lisped.

“Thought you had a tummy ache?” Ella asked her.

Lily nodded.

“Drinks.” She said solemnly.

“Ok.” Ella said walking over to the fridge. She took out the milk and placed it on the top before getting a beaker all the time Lily was sitting on her hip. She undid the milk and poured out a little in the beaker. Placing the milk back down she put the top on the beaker and handed it to Lily.

“Ta.” Lily called out giving her a half smile.

“Well done Lils my girl.” Ella whispered kissed the top of her head.

“Mama.” Lily began.

“What is it Lils?” Ella asked her.

“Nemo.” She told her.

“Oh so you woke up and wanted to watch a movie did you? Little faker.”

Lily looked at her and gave her mother her sweetest smile.

“Please?” she lisped.

“Come on then.” Ella told her daughter and took her through to the lounge. She sat her on the sofa and put the cover round her before putting on the film. She settles down, lying next to her daughter tucking the cover round them both.

Roman looked at the ceiling watching as the lightening sky from outside the window chased the shadows away. For the forth night in a row Ella had slept elsewhere. Plus they had been so busy they hadn’t even had five minutes alone with each other. Trying not to disturb Marcus he eased slowly and carefully out of the bed and over to the en suite. He took a quick shower before heading back into the bedroom and gathering fresh clothes for the day. He retreated back into the en suite and dressed heading back out. Collecting his phone from beside the bed he turned off the alarm and headed down the stairs. He found Ella asleep on the sofa with Lily beside her.

“El.” He called softly.

Lily looked up at him.

“Shush!” Lily called out. “Mama naps.”

Told off by his daughter he headed into the kitchen and began sorting out breakfast for everyone.

“Hello Daddy.” Sammy muttered walking into the kitchen and reaching for the juice. He took the jug over to the table before pouring his out, leaving the jug there for others to help themselves.

“Samson.” Roman greeted him before handing him his toast.

Sammy grinned and collected the jam and peanut butter taking it to the table too.

“Marcus.” Sammy began.

Roman turned and looked at his son sensing he wanted to tell him something. He poured himself out some juice and sat at the table.

“Marcus?” he prompted gently.

Sammy lent forward.

“He had a nightmare last night again.” Sammy confessed. “Mummy keeps comforting him but he misses his own mummy.”

Roman nodded and looked over to his sleeping wife.

“Well he slept with us last night.” Roman said quietly.

“Do we know when his Mummy is coming back?” Sammy mumbled.

“I’m not sure.” Roman prevaricated.

As Sammy began eating his toast Roman stood and moved back into the kitchen making coffee. He poured out a large cup for himself and another for Ella walking over to her.

“El.” He called gently.

She blinked up at him and yawned before easing up and looking at him.

“Coffee.” He told her placing the cup in front of her.

“Lils.” Ella called out.

“I is here Mama.” Lily said to her from her seat in front of the tv. She had Biscuits curled up in her lap.

“You look exhausted.” Roman said to her. “What do you want me to do today?”

Ella blinked again and stretched.

“Don’t you have work?” she asked him.

Roman shrugged.

“I’ve got a beautiful wife that I haven’t seen for a few days I think they can cope without me." he told her.

Ella shook her head.

“I’m only doing housework today.” She told him. “You should go to work.”

Roman looked at her and gave a slow nod before heading back to the table and supervising breakfast.

“Mama naps?” Lily turned and asked her.

Ella smiled.

“Lily nursery.” Ella told her daughter grinning as Lily frowned at her.

“Lily here. Liam.”

“Sorry sweetie but you go to nursery.” Ella told her swinging her legs to the floor.

Lily pouted before turning and watching the screen once more.

She stood up and picked up the coffee draining the cup and moving into the kitchen.

“Want some breakfast?” Roman called out.

“No.” Ella snapped reaching for the coffee pot. She poured out a second cup and moved outside sipping it. She heard the other children coming down the stairs and she moved inside.

“Mummy.” Sophie called out.

“Yes?” Ella asked.

“Can you do my hair?” she asked quickly holding out a brush.

Ella sighed.

“Sit at the table.” She told her putting the cup down on the side. She followed her daughter into the lounge and took the brush from her as she sat down.

“I suppose you want museli?” Roman asked her.

Sophie nodded.

“Keep your head still.” Ella snapped.

“Sorry.” Sophie said quickly.

Roman gave Ella a look before standing and going into the kitchen. He returned a moment later with a bowl for Sophie’s breakfast, placing it in front of her next to her museli and the jug of milk.

“Can you plait it?” Sophie asked quickly.

Ella gave a sigh and began to section off the hair before twisting the sections over one another to make the plait.

“Band?” she said to her when she reached the end.

Sophie handed over a coloured band before reaching for the museli.

“Keep you head still.” Ella muttered. “Great now I’ve got to do it all again.”

“Sorry Mummy.” Sophie said quickly before crying out when Ella accidentally pulled on her hair.

“Well you should have kept still shouldn’t you?” Ella bit out.

She finished the plait for the second time and put the band on it tightly.

“Thank you.” Sophie said quietly.

“Sammy do you have your sports kit?” Ella asked quickly.

“Yes it’s in my bag already.” Sammy told her sounding subdued.

“Right Lily come on lets get you ready for nursery.” Ella called out.

“Tummy poorly.” Lily cried.

“no.” Ella said back immediately. “Come here.”

Lily looked up at her mother and two big fat tears began to seep down her face.

“Poorly tummy.” She said again.

“Ella.” Roman called out from the kitchen before walking over to her.

“No she did that for the last two nights Roman. She hasn’t got a poorly tummy she’s faking it. She wants to stay home with Liam.” Ella bit out. “I’m too busy to put up with it.”

“El.” He said softly. “I told you I’ll take the day off. We’ll spend it together and I’ll give you some help.”

Ella starred at him.

“We can’t afford you to take time off.” She muttered folding her arms across herself. “You are buying for Christmas remember.”

“Ella.” Roman called.

“Oh forget it. “ she snapped once more and walked past him to the stairs.

“Ok where did nice Mummy go?” Meggy asked slowly.

Sammy shot up and glared at Meggy.

“She is nice Mummy she’s been looking after Marcus every night.” He snapped at everyone.

“That’s enough everybody.” Roman murmured calmly walking over to Sammy. He placed his hand on Sammy’s shoulder and eased him back into his seat. “Mummy is very tired right now so don’t mind her snapping a little right. She’ll be ok next week when we don’t have to rush around to get you to school.” He promised hoping that were true.

“Dad.” Georgie called out.

“Yes?” he asked.

“We could take more care of Marcus.” He murmured looking around the others and seeing them nod.

“Hopefully his Mother will be back next week.” Roman told them. “Now finish your breakfast please.”

Roman turned and moved out of the room and up the stairs. He found Ella dressed and in with William.

“Marcus still asleep?” he asked and saw her nod. “I know you aren’t ok Ella. As soon as I get the kids off to school we are going to sit down and talk.”

“What is the point of talking right now Roman?” she asked him. “He’s still going to be here and he’s still going to miss his mother.”

“Yes.” Roman said slowly. “But …” he began. “So what are you saying? You know what Charlie said if we make a report then DOCs will take him away.”

“I’m not saying anything.” Ella said slowly.

“But you are thinking something. You may as well tell me?”

“Roman go to work.” Ella said quietly stepping away from him and picking up William. “Make sure he is up.”

Roman shook his head and moved into the bedroom

She carried William down the stairs and into the lounge taking him over to the table and polling up a highchair for him.

“Do you want any help?” Sophie asked quickly.

“No thanks.” Ella said to her slotting him into his seat.

Lily stood up and ran over to her.

“Breakfast?” she lisped out.

“Thought you had poorly tummy Lils?” Ella said to her.

Lily nodded solemnly.

“Very poorly.” She agreed. “Breakfast make better.”

Ella bit her lip not to smile at her little girl before tugging over the second high chair. She lifted Lily into it and settled the two of them into their seats before heading over to the kitchen. She poured our drinks in their beaker and handing them over before getting out their bowls and pouring our cereal. She added milk and took them through handing Lily and Liam spoons to help themselves.

“Ta.” Lily called out waving her spoon before placing it in the bowl and eating noisily.

Georgie stood and began clearing the table taking things through to kitchen. Sammy moved with him and began making two fresh pieces of toast. He spread them when they were done and poured out a glass of juice.

“Come on.” Roman said softly bring Marcus into the room. He smiled when he saw the breakfast laid out for the little boy and took him over to the table.

“I made toast.” Sammy told Marcus quietly. “Want jam or peanut butter?”

“Jam please.” Marcus asked slowly looking at it.

Roman fetched out the jam and placed it next to the toast with a knife He looked over at Lily still in her nightdress.

“She staying home then?” he asked Ella.

“Yes I’m going to have her do the hoovering.”

“Me hoover.” Lily told Liam.

Roman chuckled before heading back into the kitchen and began to make another pot of coffee. He stacked the dishwasher while he waited for the kettle to boil and set it on.

“Is everyone nearly ready?” he called out.

“Yes.” Sophie called out.

Roman poured the hot water in the coffee pot and waited for a few moments before depressing the plunger. He poured out a half cup for himself and a full cup for Ella taking it through to her.

“I’ll be home at lunchtime.” He promised his fingers touching with hers as she took hold of the cup. He went back collecting his and draining it.

“Ok Marcus are you done?” he asked the little boy gently and watched as he nodded.

“Come on then.” He said leading them all out to the car. He saw them inside before turning back around and going inside the house.

“Did you forget something?” Ella asked.

Roman nodded grinning.

“I forgot this.” He told her walking over to her side and pulling her into his arms. He pressed a passionate kiss to her lips.

“You.” She gasped out slapping at his arm as he let her go.

“Later.” He promised running back outside to the car. He started the engine and set off.

Chapter 62

Roman took the cheesecake with him as he walked into the house. He saw the windows open and the house smelt fresh and clean, not that it normally smelt any other way he thought.

“Hello.” He called out.

Ella appeared at the top of the stairs and shushed him before heading back into the nursery. He grinned and headed into the kitchen taking the cheesecake out of the box and placing it in a bowl adding some cream to it he carried it up the stairs.

Ella moved out of the nursery almost bumping into him.

“What…” she gasped out.

He smiled at her and pushed her gently into the bedroom. He closed the door behind them and handed Ella the cheesecake.

“Oh is this what you meant by lunch?” she asked him.

Roman smiled at her.

“No.” he told her. “Just been missing you.”

“I was planning on a nap.” She muttered picking up the spoon.

“I’ve no objection if you want to go to bed.” He told her smiling. “I did have that in mind.”

“I’ve got things to do.” She protested weakly meeting his intense gaze.

“We haven’t made love in days and I miss holding you.” He told her. He sat next to her and took the spoon from her hand taking a small spoonful from the bowl on to it before feeding her.

She sighed opening her mouth for the spoon. She felt the soft creamy taste melt in her mouth and smiled at him.

“I hate you.” She murmured.

Roman smiled at her as he fed her taking his time to kiss her inbetween each spoonful of the rich desert. She reached out and placed the bowl on the side taking the spoon from his hand before pushing him down to the bed ignoring the smug grin he had on his face.

“Ella.” He murmured softly, kissing her some more as his hands began stroking down her body. He reached for the hem of her top and began easing it up before tugging it off.

“We really shouldn’t.” she whispered kissing his neck. “We need to talk about what we are going to do for Christmas and then there are activities for the kids next week.”

“Later.” He promised. “I need you.”

Ella smiled at him pushing up his top to kiss his taut abs. She ran a teasing circle around his belly button with her tongue hearing his indrawn gasp.

“Like that?” she asked him softly blowing across his flat toned stomach.

“Yes.” He whispered.

He reached down and pushed her hair back from her face looking deeply into her blue eyes and smiling as she looked back at him.

“Make love to me Ella.” He asked slowly.

“Like there was any doubt.” She whispered kissing a trail up his body as she pushed his t shirt up. She manoeuvred it over his head and dropped the blue cotton top to the floor. She pulled at his shorts unfastening the single black button before sliding down the zipper. She let a single finger glide under the waistband of his boxer shorts teasingly.

“Ella Harris.” He muttered sucking in another sharp breath.

Ella giggled and moved down his body easing off both his shorts and his underwear leaving him naked on their bed. She cast her eyes over him before kissing his thighs first using her lips and tongue to trace intricate patterns on his skin. She trailed her hands over the muscles letting her fingers tease him just a little. Reaching into the bowl discarded earlier she scooped up some of the cream on to her finger and drew on his stomach with it. She heard his chuckled before she lowered her head and licked it slowly off.

“Is it any wonder I love you.” He mused and heard her giggling once more.

Rolling them over he kissed down her stomach as he reached for the waistband of her skirt. The buttons resisted for a few moments before seeming to spring open and he sucked in a deep breath as he pushed down her skirt and saw the tiny lace panties she was wearing underneath.

“You knew I wanted you.” He breathed out.

Ella giggled her fingers in his hair as she drew his head up. Her eyes met his.

“I dress like this all the time.” she said her voice sounding husky to him. Husky and very sexy and he was forced to suck in another deep breath.

Moving once again he placed his fingers in the side of the panties and began to ease them down her legs.

“Just get on with it.” Ella murmured.

“Oh very romantic Mrs Harris. Makes me quiver all over.” Roman grinned up at her.

“Yes I know but I’ve just seen the time and if you don’t hurry up the kids will be awake and you’ll miss your chance.” She told him with a smile.

Roman groaned and moved to lie next to her.

“What’s wrong?” she asked him that teasing note still in her voice.

“Why did we have kids?” he asked slowly. “They are nothing but trouble.”

Ella sat up and reached for her bathrobe tugging it on before he realised what she was doing.

“I was joking.” He told her.

“Didn’t sound very funny,” she said moving into the bathroom. She closed the door quietly and he heard the lock click into place.

“Ella come out.” he called mindful of the sleeping children. The last thing he needed was to wake them up right now. One spoilt brat was enough to deal with he thought and then kicked himself for referring to Ella that way. He looked over at the closed door and became surprised when it opened and she came out.

“Ella I was joking.” He repeated looking at her.

“And I said that it wasn’t very funny.” She said to him still sounding upset.

“Well its not going to be funny if you react like a spoiled brat and lock yourself in the bathroom."” he shot out without meaning to.

Ella gasped and looked at him tears gathering in her blue eyes.

“So last week we sort things out and this week you hate me again?” she muttered to him.

“I don’t hate you.” He claimed and found he couldn’t meet her gaze.

“Doesn’t sound like it.” she said quietly. “I think we need a break.”

“A weekend away.” He murmured misunderstanding her.

“No.” again she was quiet. “From each other.”

Roman stepped back his leg clashing against the metal bed frame.

“Ella.” He gasped out shocked.

“It’s simple Roman. We can’t even talk to each other right now. Somewhere in the middle of all that is going on you started to hate me.” She said so quietly that it was almost a whisper.

“And what about you?” he muttered stung by her words.

“I don’t like you very mush at the moment, that’s true. I’ve told you I’m depressed and not coping and you let that boy into our lives. Fine, but you aren’t the one getting up every night and looking after him. You aren’t the one hugging him when he’s sad. The longer he’s here the more involved he’ll be with our lives.”

“So what are you saying? You want to turn him over so that he goes into foster care?” Roman snapped out.

“Stop throwing that at me.” Ella bit out looking at him. “I want you to be a man and find out if he’s yours and just how he was conceived.”

“Just tell me how I do that with Martha god knows where.”

“And you’ve done what to find her?” Ella said softly looking at him. She saw the colour drain from his face and knew her point had reached him. “Inside your head you are thinking good old Ella, if I let her get attached to him then she won’t be too upset if he’s mine.”

“No I don’t think that.” Roman said urgently striding forward towards her.

Ella stepped back and away from him and he flinched.

“So what makes you think I hate you?” he asked her reaching for his bathrobe and pulling it in defence of the sudden chill he was feeling.

“Because I’m depressed.” She said immediately.

“God Ella how could you think that?” Roman gasped out collapsing to sit on the bed.

“I’m not the same Ella who takes on everything. I’m not the perfect Ella who can deal with everything.” She said quietly.

“That’s bull.” Roman snapped at her.

“I’m not the Ella that is going to sort out the situation with Marcus.” She continued.

Roman stood from the bed and glared at her.

“I don’t expect you to sort it out.” he shouted.

“Then you’ll be getting up tonight to look after him? And you’ll sort out a DNA test. And you’ll work out what is going to happen at Christmas when Martha doesn’t come back?” she said before reaching for her clothes and walking back into the bathroom.

Roman stood looking at the closed door before snatching up his clothes and heading into the other bathroom. He stripped off the robe and climbed under the shower turning it to hot. He stood letting the water cascade over him and thought about the argument.

Ella sat on the side of the bath and looked at it again. She sighed and sank down to the cold tiled floor feeling tears welling up in her eyes. The pregnancy test slipped out of her hand and on to the bathroom floor beside her. The pink cross mocking her even in her distress.

Ella walked slowly down the stairs. She saw Roman standing in the kitchen facing away from her and she moved over to his side.

“I don’t hate you Ella.” He told her.

“It feels that way Roman.”

“How can you feel that I hate you? I love you.” He said turning around and looking at her.

“I just do.” She said quietly. “It’s in those comments that normally you wouldn’t even think let alone say.”

“And what about you?” he asked quickly. “You’ve been snapping at everyone.”

“I know. I’m tired.” Ella said, once more her tone was quiet.

“Because of getting up with Marcus.” He said quickly.

Ella nodded.

“I don’t want us to be apart Ella.” He muttered.

“Ok.” she told him. “I’m going for a lay down.”

Roman watched as she turned and moved to the stairs.

“El.” He called out.

“Yes?”

“Doesn’t matter.” He said changing his mind.

She nodded and began walking up the stairs and into their bedroom. She kicked off her shoes again and climbed under the covers. She gave a little sigh when she felt Roman climbing in beside her and pulling her into his arms.

“I love you.” He told her again.

“I love you too. But we need to sort this stuff out. It’s like poison.” She whispered.

“Let’s get away this weekend. Just us.” He suggested.

“We can’t.” she said snuggling closer to him. “We can’t leave Marcus he really will feel that he’s been abandoned.” She said before she could stop herself. She felt Roman chuckle, his breath ruffling her hair.

“Ok.” he said after a minute. “If we can’t go away we are definitely going to dinner alone.” He announced.

Ella yawned, her eyes closing as she nodded.

“I love you.” He told her again kissing her gently.

Chapter 63

Roman woke as soon as he heard the tread on the floor by their bedroom door. He looked over at Ella and slowly carefully eased out of bed without disturbing her. He could tell from the shadows under her eyes and her paleness that she was still really tired despite the afternoon naps she was taking to make up for the disturbed nights. He pulled on his bathrobe and slipped his feet into slippers before heading out of the room.

“Hey.” He called softly to Marcus standing on the landing outside their door.

“I had a nightmare.” He whispered.

“Really?” Roman murmured kneeling down in front of the boy. “Was it about tigers? Because I hate dreams about tigers.”

Marcus looked at him and shook his head slowly.

“How about we get a drink of milk and have a chat downstairs?” Roman suggested.

Marcus looked past Roman into the bedroom before nodding.

“Come on then.” Roman whispered and reached out taking Marcus’ free hand. He led him down the stairs and into the lounge before leading him through to the dinning table. He lifted him up and sat him on a chair.

“Now then do you want chocolate milk or normal.” Roman asked softly.

Marcus looked up at him and placed his thumb in his mouth.

“Normal milk.” He decided after a moment.

Roman moved into the kitchen and opened the fridge. He took out the chilled milk and poured out a couple of glasses taking them through to the dinning table.

“Now then feel like sharing all these horrible dreams?” he asked Marcus.

“I miss my Mummy.” Marcus said slowly.

“We know.” Roman told him. “Do you have any idea where she went on her little break?”

Marcus shook his head.

“She doesn’t know anywhere except here and home.” Marcus said softly tears in his eyes.

“Sounds as though she’ll be back soon then.” Roman murmured resisting the urge to question the little boy more. “We need to take you to see our Friend Rachel soon.” Roman began.

Marcus looked at him, his eyes seeming to get bigger.

“She’s a doctor.”

“That’s right, you stayed with her when you first come to Summer Bay.” Roman said reminding himself.

Marcus nodded.

“Well we want to make sure that you aren’t poorly.” Roman said quietly.

“I’m not.” Marcus said quickly. “I’ve had all my injections.”

Roman gave a little chuckle.

“Really?” he asked. “Well it’s not about those. We get all our kids to see Rachel.”

Marcus looked at him and gulped.

“I don’t want to.” Marcus said putting his bottom lip out and pouting.

“Seriously?” Roman asked. “Not even if we go to the toy store after for a treat?”

Marcus shook his head.

“What’s this?” Ella asked from the doorway.

Roman looked up and saw Lily running towards him.

“Again Lily squeals?” he asked picking her up and sitting her on his lap.

“Tummy ache.” She lisped sweetly.

“Ok then.” Roman said with a sigh. “Ella go back to bed.”

Ella gave him a look.

“Well I’m already up.” He pointed out.

“Fine.” She said and turned around moving back the way she came.

Marcus sprinted off the chair and ran over to her.

“Can I sleep with you?” he asked quickly.

Roman swore catching Lily frowning at him disapprovingly.

“Sorry Marcus, Ella needs some sleep. Stay with us.” Roman coaxed.

“Nemo?” Lily asked quickly.

“Ok you two I think it’s time for everyone to go to bed. Marcus back to your room.” Ella said quietly. “Lily as soon as you have had a drink you are back in bed tonight.”

“I don’t want to.” Marcus cried. “It’s scary.”

“Scary sleeping in Sammy’s room?” Ella asked gently unsurprised when Marcus threw his arms around her waist and clung to her.

Marcus nodded.

“I want my Mummy.” He cried out.

“Ella.” Roman murmured from the other side of the room.

She shrugged helplessly.

“Marcus enough of this ok. You are making me very tired. I’m sure you don’t want me to be grumpy every morning.” Ella explained softly kneeling down and looking at him.

“You don’t want me.” He said softly crying.

“Roman.” Ella said quickly.

He looked at her helplessly.

“Fine.” Ella muttered after a minute. “Marcus come on back up the stairs.” She turned and looked at Roman. “I presume you can handle giving her a drink of milk?” she added scathingly and stood up straight walking out of the room with Marcus.

“Dada?” Lilly murmured looking at him. “Nemo?” she asked again.

“Sorry Lily squeals no Nemo tonight you are going back to bed.” Roman warned his daughter. He stood and balanced her on his hip before collecting glasses and walking through to the kitchen. Taking a beaker out of the cupboard he took the milk back out of the fridge and poured some into the beaker, it was a shame that he spilt it when he tried to get the lid on. Roman swore for the second time.

“Dada naughty.” Lily told him wagging her finger in front of his face.

Roman tried not to grin but his daughter was just too damn cute.

“Ok Lily squeals.” He murmured.

“I not squeals.” She cried out grinning.

“Not even if I tickle you?” Roman asked her

“Dada no ickle Lily!” she cried out laughing and squirming in his arms.

Roman laughed and moved her to his other hip while he poured out more milk. This time he got the lid on and handed it to Lily. Moving to the fridge he got the bottle back in before reaching for a cloth and wiping up the spillage.

“Dada no Nemo?” Lily asked sounding sad.

“Not tonight Lils, it’s bedtime. Lily sleep.” He told her.

She gave a little sob and looked at him with her big blue eyes.

“Lily sad.” She told him.

“Why is Lily sad?” he asked her.

“Mama poorly.” She told him.

“No Lils Mama is ok.” he murmured frowning.

Lily shook her head.

“Mama cry.” She said quietly.

Roman frowned looking at her.

“Well tomorrow we’ll go buy her a present and make her happy.” He promised his daughter. He clicked out the lights on his way back up the stairs heading into the nursery. He settled Lily into bed and tucked the cover around her. “Remember we are going shopping tomorrow to buy a present for Mummy so I need you to get a lot of sleep now.”

Lily nodded her eyes closing sleepily.

Roman gave her a kiss and absentmindedly stroked Biscuits the cat before heading back out and into the bedroom. He saw Marcus asleep in their bed and had to bite back another swearword.

“El.” He called softly.

“I know.” She whispered. “Just get into bed,”

“This can’t go on.”

Ella threw back the covers and looked at him.

“Sort it out then.” She instructed him moving into the en suite.

Roman groaned and bent down lifting Marcus out of the bed. He held him close as he walked carefully down the corridor to Sammy’s room. He managed to get him back in his bed without him waking up. Breathing a sigh of relief he stepped back and out of the room. It took moment for him to get back to the bedroom and he saw Ella back in bed her back to him.

“Why are you locking the door?” she asked quietly.

“Because you need to get some sleep.” He murmured climbing into bed. He caught the small breathy sigh she uttered and he groaned realising what it looked like.

“No El, I was just hoping to keep the kids out for a bit.” He said to her as he snuggled up to her.

She reached out and clicked out the light plunging them into darkness.

Chapter 64

Roman walked into the house. He was immediately confronted by the noise of the kids running riot and swore under his breath at the chaos.

“Hey Daddy.” Sophie called over the sound of the stereo playing some of her pop tunes.

“Turn it down.” he said immediately.

Sophie looked at him and pouted tossing her long caramel hair over her shoulder.

“If I turn it down then I can’t hear it.” She protested.

“Sophie if you turn it down I won’t throw it out of the window.” He pointed out folding his arms across his chest.

She glared at him and moved to the stereo turning the volume to bearable.

“Thank you.” He told her stepping in front of the tv.

“Dad.” Sammy shouted. “You are in the way.”

“Hope you aren’t shouting at me Samuel.” Roman muttered stepping past him and Marcus playing some kind of game and over to the kitchen where it seemed to be safe. He stood corrected when he saw Meggy, Lily and Liam in there with Ella, all making cookies.

“Hello.” He murmured.

“Dada!” Liam called out giving him a smile.

He smiled at his son before stepping past them to Ella’s side.

“Hey.” He said again frowning as she seemed to be ignoring him.

“Mummy is taking a vow of silence because we aren’t listening to her anyway.” Meggy told him. “And Georgie has been sent to his room to pack. Mummy kicked him out.”

“Ok what happened?” Roman asked Ella.

She looked at him then pulling the headphones out of her ears and turning off her ipod.

“Hello.” She greeted him moving to give him a kiss.

Meggy giggled.

Roman gave his daughter a look.

“I’ll deal with you later Missy.” He promised his arm automatically going around Ella’s waist as he pulled her closer and kissed her again.

“Hello.” He told her softly.

“Uh huh.” Ella said flustered.

She backed away and looked at the two babies checking what they were doing.

“Have you done dinner?” he asked her glancing around the kitchen.

“No not yet.” Ella murmured. “I was going to leave that to you.” She added smiling at him.

“How about the diner?” he asked. “and a trip to the beach. It sounds as though the kids could do with some running around to calm them down.”

Ella smiled at him.

“They’ve already been to the beach. Toby took Georgie for a surfing lesson earlier.”

“Oh.” Roman murmured.

“I’ve booked the girls into the hairdressers tomorrow so I need you home in the afternoon.”

Roman nodded.

“Getting their heads shaved like I suggested?” he said.

“Oi.” Meggy cried.

“Have you been teasing your Dad again?” Ella asked Meggy smiling as she tried to look innocent.

“Ok Liam.” Ella said catching the bowl he was using before it slid off the table she’d pulled up for them to use.

He smiled up at her and picked up his spoon taking a bite of the cookie mixture.

“Yummy.” He declared.

“Ok there.” She said kneeling down beside him and putting her arms round him as she helped him mix his cookies.

Roman smiled as he watched his wife.

“Daddy.” Meggy murmured.

“What is it troublemaker?” he asked moving to sit on the floor next to her. He tipped a spare spoon into her bowl and took a bite of her cookie dough for himself smiling as he recognised the recipe.

“Are we having a big Christmas this year? Because I was thinking if Marcus’ mummy is still away you could give him one of my presents.” She said to him looking down and biting her lip.

“Ah bless Megs, but I don’t think Marcus would like a Barbie doll.” Ella said to her daughter.

“I’m getting a new Barbie.” Meggy squeaked.

Roman glanced at his daughter before smiling over at Ella.

“Well not anymore we’re giving it to Marcus.” He said quietly.

“Daddy.” Meggy groaned.

“You don’t have to worry Megs we’ve already talked about Marcus staying with us over Christmas.” Ella told her daughter.

Meggy smiled at her.

“I don’t mind giving up a present so he has something nice.” Meggy told her. “Neither does Sammy we talked about it.”

Roman met Ella’s gaze and smiled proudly.

“It’s ok Meggy.” He told her.

Ella scooped out the cookie mix from Liam’s bowl onto the top and pressed it out with the rolling pin. She handed Liam the cookie cutter and helped him cut out the cookies.

Roman reached up to the worktop and handed down the flat baking sheet Ella had prepared so she could put the shapes on.

“Good.” Liam cried out clapping his hands as he saw the cookies on it.

“Well done babes.” Ella said kissing her son.

Liam beamed proudly at her.

“Oven pre-heated?” Roman asked.

Ella nodded taking Liam over to the sink and washing his hands before setting him down.

“Go play with Sammy.” she told him watching him nodding before blowing a kiss to Lily as he ran through to the lounge.

Roman placed the baking sheet in the oven and checked the time.

“Me’s next.” Lily lisped.

Ella smiled.

“Let me clean this first.” She said to her taking Liam’s things from the table and placing them in the sink. Once done she turned her attention back to Lily helping her cut out her cookies. Roman handed her the second backing sheet smiling as his youngest daughter bit her lip as she concentrated on placing the cookies on the cooking tin.

“Well done babes.” Ella murmured kissing the end of her daughters upturned nose.

Lily grinned exuberantly holding up her cookie dough covered hands. Roman took hold of the baking sheet and placed it in the oven.

“Clean hands?” Ella asked Lily grinning as she nodded at her.

“Play with Sammy?” Lily asked.

Ella nodded picking Lily up and taking her over to the sink. She washed her daughter’s hands and wiped her face before setting her back down and smiling as she ran out of the kitchen.

“My turn.” Meggy said softly.

“go on then.” Ella said sitting next to her.

She let Meggy tip out her mixture and roll it out herself.

“Ok?” Meggy asked.

Ella nodded catching sight of Roman taking out the first set of cookies and checking them before placing them on a wire rack to cool.

“Here you go Megs.” He said handing her the third tray.

Meggy lifted up the cookies and placed them carefully on the baking sheet smiling as she finished.

“Perfect.” Roman told her lifting it into the oven. “I’ll clean up.” He offered.

Ella smiled over at him and nodded.

“Go wash your hands.” she told Meggy.

Meggy nodded and walked out of the kitchen along the hallway and up the stairs.

“I’ve got Marcus booked in to do the test tomorrow morning.” Roman said quietly. “But I don’t think he’ll do it if you aren’t there.”

Ella nodded.

“It’ll mean taking the babies along.”

Roman grinned at her.

“Well I was thinking that we should do some Christmas shopping.”

Ella frowned.

“I thought you were doing it this year?” she muttered folding her arms.

Roman smiled at her.

“Ok but I won’t be doing it until Christmas Eve and they have to like what I buy them.” he murmured before checking the second batch of cookies. He took them out and placed them on the cooling rack next to the first lot.

Ella gave him a smile.

“Suits me.” She told him walking out of the kitchen and over to the sofa. She saw that Sammy had put on a movie and she curled up on the sofa watching it with them smiling over at Lily as she crawled into her lap.

“Ok Lily squeals.”

“Me not squeals.” Lily cried.

Ella giggled and kissed her daughter before grinning as Liam demanded up next to her.

“Come on Liam squeals.” She said to him.

“Me no squeals.” Liam said smiling.

“Mama ickle you.” Lily warned him.

Liam giggled and snuggled closer to her.

Ella moved carefully on the sofa stretching out and laying down. She tugged up the throw placing it over the three of them.

“Mama nap?” Lily asked her.

“Maybe.” She whispered kissing her daughter.

Lily sighed and lay down closing her eyes.

Roman moved into the lounge a while later and saw Ella asleep on the sofa with the two babies with her and smiled. He motioned to Sophie and she moved off the other sofa into the kitchen with him.

“Can you set the table for me please?” he asked.

Sophie nodded.

“What are we having?” she asked smiling at him.

“Pasta with cheese sauce and salad.” He murmured.

“Garlic bread too?” she asked hopefully.

He smiled.

“I can do garlic bread too.” He said reaching out and ruffling her hair.

“Daddy.” She groaned.

“Hey, my little girl is growing up I won’t get to do this much longer.” He told her.

“Well don’t do it tomorrow.” She muttered smoothing down her hair.

“I know your Mother is taking you to get your hair done tomorrow.”

“Not just me but Meggy and Angel. It’s a Christmas treat.” Sophie explained. “And Mum’s apology for not spending enough time with us.”

“She said that?” Roman questioned.

Sophie nodded.

Roman smiled.

“You know what Soph, I think your mother is very special.”

Sophie giggled.

“We know that you go all mushy.” She told him.

He gave her a mock glare.

“Just you wait until you introduce your boyfriends to us.” He threatened. “I’ll be the first one showing him your baby pictures.”

Sophie blushed and giggled at the same time before busying herself collecting plates and carrying them to the table. She set them out before heading back to get the knives forks and spoons.

Roman busied himself taking out french bread sticks and making garlic and herb butter. He sliced the bread and spread the butter in between each slit before putting it in the oven to heat through.

“Anything else?” Sophie asked.

“Want to sort drinks?” he murmured.

Sophie nodded and set to work putting out beakers and fetching the juice from the fridge. She poured some into each smiling over at Sammy and Meggy who were watching her work. They stood and moved to the table.

“Wash hands please.” Roman called out quietly.

“Come on Marcus.” Sammy said leading the other boy up the stairs.

“Where is Georgie?” Roman asked Sophie looking at the neatly set table as he added the salad to it followed by the pasta dish.

“He’s over with Toby.” Meggy answered for her.

“Can you run and ask him if he wants dinner?” Roman murmured to her watching Meggy shoot out the door. He walked over to Ella and lifted up the children bringing them to the table and setting their dinner in front of them before returning to Ella’s side.

“Hey you.” He called quietly hating to wake her but she had been missing a lot of meals lately and was losing weight along with the dark circles under her eyes.

Ella yawned and opened her eyes.

“Dinner.” He said leaning down and kissing her.

She looked into his eyes and smiled easing her legs off the sofa. Roman reached out and helped her stand walking with her to the table. He pulled out a chair and let her sit pushing it carefully back under the table.

“Pasta?” she asked.

Roman nodded.

“In your favourite cheese sauce.” He pointed out.

She gave him a smiled and reached for the serving spoon.

“Georgie is coming.” Meggy exclaimed shooting in through the door just as Sammy led Marcus back into the room and over to the table.

“Sit down everyone.” Roman instructed before fetching the garlic bread. He placed it close to Sophie and grinned as she took the first bit before offering it to Marcus.

Smiling he sat next to Ella and grinned as she stroked down his back.

“Thank you.” She said quietly.

He leaned over and kissed her.

Chapter 65

“I’m sorry I can’t do it without Martha’s approval.” Rachel said quietly.

“Look we can’t go on like this. Do you have any idea where Martha is?” Roman muttered keeping a careful eye on the kids seated a little way off with Ella. “Ella is exhausted. She has to get up with him every night.”

“A bit like night feeds with babies.” Rachel pointed out before sighing. “I’m sorry.” She said twisting a lock of hair around her finger as she looked over at him.

“Point taken Rachel.” Roman said dryly. “But that is a separate issue. You know that Martha wanted this test done.”

“I do.” Rachel agreed with him. “But you do not have her consent to act in loco parentis. I can’t do anything medically. Not even emergency care.”

Roman groaned and rubbed a hand over his face.

Ell watched him and turned to Marcus picking him up and carrying him over to them.

“What is the issue?” she asked Rachel.

“She won’t do the test because we aren’t his guardians.” Roman said quickly.

“Ok.” Ella nodded.

She walked into the examination room and sat Marcus on the bed.

“Stay there sweetie.” She whispered to him.

Moving around the exam room she collected one of the swabs from a drawer the other side of the room and opened the packet carefully.

“Open your mouth like this.” She told him demonstrating.

Marcus gave her a look before copying her.

“Ok babes this won’t hurt but it might feel funny.” Ella said softly.

She ran the swab on the inside of his cheek before taking it out and placing the small plastic cap over the end sealing the sample inside.

“Well done babes.” She told him. “We’ll go get you a nice drink soon.”

Ella placed the swab back inside the bag she took it out of and moved over to Rachel.

“There.” she told her. “Please test that sample against my husbands.”

Roman stood watching as Ella moved back to pick up Marcus taking him out of the hospital room.

“We’ll be waiting outside for you.” Ella said to him on the way past him walking out of the sterile blue painted room that smelled of disinfectant. She motioned for the kids to follo0w as she swept out.

“I trust that you can do the test now?” Roman asked his arms folded across his chest.

Rachel looked at him.

“I’m too scared not to.” She murmured.

“I’d laugh at that but well I’ve now got to take ‘that’ Christmas Shopping. It’s not going to be fun.” Roman said to Rachel.

“By ‘that’ you mean your very smart and beautiful wife.”

“That is one way of describing her but well in the past week there have been many other ways.” Roman confessed feeling guilty for the

“Does she need to come and see me?” Rachel asked gently.

Roman shrugged.

“I really don’t know what she needs Rachel. She’s exhausted but more than that she’s depressed. This business isn’t helping.” He sighed and sat on the exam bed looking over at Rachel.

“Leah and I have tried to get her to come to lunch.” Rachel told him softly.

Roman looked at her in shock.

“You have?” he asked before he could stop himself.

Rachel gave a quick nod before donning sterile gloves and taking out a second swap from the supplies.

“She told us she was too busy.” Rachel added after a moment.

“Well she is busy.”

“But not so busy she can’t get out for an hour?” Rachel prompted and saw Roman nod.

“Anything you can suggest that would help.” he said to her. “I just can’t seem to get through to her about taking time for herself.”

Rachel gave him a look before opening the packet and taking the swab out.

“Open wide.” She instructed.

Roman duly opened his mouth and let her rub the small cotton swab on the inside of his mouth. He saw her cap it and place it in a bag she quickly labelled. She repeated the action with the other swab and put them both in a bigger bag destined for the lab. Setting them to one side for a moment she peeled off the gloves and looked at him.

“I’ll have a think and see what I can come up with.” She told him.

Roman nodded and eased up from the bed.

“Thanks Rachel.”

“Results should be back in 10 days.” She advised him walking with him to the door. She picked up the specimen bag and walked them to the reception desk, placing them into a tray for collecting to take them down for processing.

“I’ll see you soon.” Roman said to her as he moved outside and to the car. He saw all the children sitting subdued inside.

“Hey.” He called out moving to sit behind the drivers seat. “Are we going shopping?” he asked slowly glancing around the car.

“Some of them don’t deserve a shopping trip.” Ella said quietly.

“What happened?” he asked her quickly.

“It wasn’t me.” Meggy cried out.

Roman pressed his lips together to stop himself smiling at his daughter.

“Just go.” Ella said leaning back tiredly in her seat.

Roman gave her a curious look before starting the engine and setting off. As he drove them he continued to cast glances at Ella concerned at her pallor and general tiredness. He saw that she slipped into sleep just a few minutes into their drive and that worried him too. He eased the car into a parking space at the mall and gently shook her shoulder to wake her.

“We here already?” she mumbled.

Roman nodded.

“Are you ready for this?” he asked her.

Ella nodded slowly looking around the car.

“We’ve got three hours until I have to get the girls to their hair appointments.” She warned him glancing down at her watch.

Roman smiled and got out of the car. He walked around to the back and took out the pushchair. He manoeuvred it to the side of the car and grinned as Ella lifted out Liam first and then Lily putting them both into it. The children got out next and after locking the car they walked into the mall with him pushing the buggy.

“Mummy.” Meggy began.

“What?” Ella asked quietly. She glanced down and saw Marcus moving closer to her until he was able to take hold of her hand and she bit back a sigh.

“Are we buying for each other too?” she asked giving Marcus a puzzled look.

Ella gave her daughter a nod.

“Only I’m not sure my savings will be enough.” Meggy said frowning.

“We’re going to be giving you some extra money.” Ella told her gently as they walked towards the toy store.

“Now then Marcus we have a rule. “ Roman began explaining.

“Yeah.” Sammy called out from the back.

“Once inside the shop you can go look at anything but you aren’t to talk to strangers and you aren’t to leave the shop.” Roman finished.

“I think I’ll stay here.” Marcus called out clutching Ella’s hand.

“Sorry but I’m going to need my hand.” Ella told him gently. “And we aren’t leaving the shop so you’ll be able to find us.”

He gave her a look and then looked over at Sammy.

“P’haps I could come with you?” he asked quietly.

“Of course you can.” Sammy grinned at him. “Well me and Georgie.”

Roman smiled over at his son and gave Marcus a reassuring smile too.

“Ok you can go.” He instructed them once they were inside. He saw Ella chuckle as Meggy immediately run towards the Barbie isle.

“Ok Ella Harris?” he asked her.

She looked up at the question and smiled.

“Just tired.” She said softly.

“I no watch Nemo.” Lily cried.

“It’s ok Lily squeals.” Ella said leaning down and kissing her daughter before moving back to Roman’s side. She stepped closer to him when he put his arm around her.

“Just so long as that is all.” He said softly. “I don’t want you to bottle stuff up ok. Even if it’s tough for us to deal with.”

She gave him a strange look before nodding.

“I’m going to get us a trolley.” She told him moving away.

Roman sighed and watched her retreat from him again. She came back a moment later and they began moving down an aisle.

“I need to get some things for William. He’s growing out of his clothes.” She told him.

“Are we feeding him too much?” Roman asked her.

Ella glared at him before she realised it was a joke and gave him a quick smile.

“Marcus needs some new things too. He either doesn’t have mush or she’s not packed all his clothes.” Ella added slowly.

”Well if we don’t get time to do it now I can take the boys and the babies with me for clothes shopping while you ladies have your hair done.” He suggested.

Ella gave a distracted nod picking up a rag doll and placing that in the trolley.

“Georgie wants a new game for his laptop.” Ella told him.

“Not that war thing?” Roman asked frowning as he mentioned the new game advertised on tv.

“Yup.” She said giving him a smile before reaching for a set of jigsaw puzzles and looking at the box. She held them up for Roman to look at and he nodded.

“I’m not happy with him playing those sort of games. They are too violent and Sammy will want a go on it.”

“I’m betting that someone at their school has it and will lend him it.” she pointed out.

Roman shrugged.

“I’ll have a think about it.” he said to her.

Ella nodded.

“I want to do stockings again.” She said quietly.

“They love those. Just how are you going to top Nic and Belle’s this time? Tiaras?” he asked her grinning.

Ella looked up at him her eyes twinkling and she grinned.

“Mrs Harris.” He called out.

“Shush. Let me have some fun.” She told him.

“Ella.” He said softly.

“Shush.” She said again grinning.

“Ella.” He called once more.

She turned and looked at him then.

“Nice to see you smiling.” Was all he said and then grinned as she blushed.

“You.” She groaned.

He chuckled.

“Come on lets get going.” He said pushing the buggy forward.

Ella moved beside him pushing the trolley. She gave him a look before picking up a stuffed cat and put that in the trolley too.

Chapter 66

Roman watched the children settling down to watch a film. He smiled as Lily told everyone to shush when it started. Ella had just gone out to do a bit of shopping and he’d had a long shift at the diner.

“Sophie can you keep a watch on the little ones I’m going to get a shower.” He asked his daughter smiling as she nodded carefully trying not to disturb her hair.

“No problem.” She called. “Can we have popcorn?”

Roman gave her a grin.

“I think there’s a bag in the kitchen.”

“Cool” Sophie called out jumping up and running into the kitchen.

He watched for a few moments before climbing up the stairs and moving to their bedroom. He closed the door behind him with a sigh and stripped off his clothes disliking the smell of garlic on them Colleen had bumped into him as he was mixing special salad dressing and most of it went over his t shirt. He left it on the floor determined to put it straight into the wash. Dropping the rest of his clothes beside it he walked naked into the en suite.

Sophie grabbed a bowl out of the cupboard and spilt open the packet of popcorn pouring it carefully into the blue plastic bowl.

“Can I get a drink?” Sammy asked her walking through to the kitchen.

“There is some juice. If you take beakers through I’ll bring the jug.” Sophie murmured. She frowned looking at the top.

“What’s wrong?” Sammy asked her.

“Mummy has gone shopping but that’s her purse.” He pointed out.

“She’ll be back in a minute then.” Sophie said.

“I think I’ll text her.” Sammy decided.

“And where is your phone?” Sophie asked him with a smile.

He looked at her and frowned.

“It’s…” he murmured. “Ok you text her.” he decided.

Sophie grinned and leaned over to kiss him on his cheek.

“Yuk!” he cried out rubbing his face. “What did you do that for?”

Sophie giggled.

“Get a move on squirt.” She told him.

He took the beakers from her and walked into the lounge carefully placing the beakers on the coffee table. Sophie followed with the juice before making a second trip with the popcorn. She poured out drinks for everyone grinning as Sammy disappeared into the kitchen and fetched beakers for Lily and William. He made sure that the lids were on securely after Sophie filled them before handing them over to the babies.

Sophie sat down next to Lily and pulled out her phone and clicked through options before texting her mum. She started watching the film again jumping when her phone buzzed knocking Meggy sitting next to her.

“Sophie!” Meggy cried out looking down at her skirt.

“Sorry.” Sophie said looked at the spilled juice spreading out on.

“Stay there I’ll get you a cloth.” Georgie muttered standing up and running to the laundry.

Sammy took the bowl of popcorn off the sofa and placed it on the table before picking up the fallen beaker and putting it on the table.

Georgie came back with a towel and handed that to Meggy.

“Thanks.” She said glancing at Sophie.

“Hey I said I’m sorry.” Sophie muttered defensively.

Meggy sighed.

“I know.” She said after a minute. “I need to go change.”

“I’ll pause the movie.”

“Might as well restart it.” Georgie told Sammy.

Sammy nodded before looking over at Sophie.

“Was that Mummy?” he asked remembering what had started the problem.

“Yeah she’s on her way back.” Sophie said quietly. “Luckily she hadn’t bought anything.”

Sammy chuckled watching as Meggy stood carefully and walked out if the room.

“I might just go check on her.” Sophie said following.

Georgie picked up the wet towel and took that through to the laundry.

“You’re quiet Marcus.” Sammy commented looking over at the other boy.

Marcus gave him a smile.

“Do you think your Mummy likes me?” he asked slowly.

“Of course she does.” Sammy grinned. “Still here aren’t you? And we only get to sleep in their bed on special occasions.” He added standing up and moving over to door. He ran up the stairs and into the bathroom.

Marcus sighed looking at the two babies who were drinking their juice noisily. He placed his beaker on the table just a knock sounded at the door. He looked around for someone before climbing off the sofa and walking slowly to the door. He looked around again as a second knock sounded before opening it.

“Mummy.” He cried out running into her arms.

“Hello darling.” Martha cried out emotionally.

“I’ve missed you.” Marcus grinned happily.

“Missed you too pumpkin.” She whispered picking him up and cuddling him. “Where is everyone?” she asked after a moment. Placing him back on his feet.

“Roman is in the shower and the kids are here.” He said quickly.

“And Ella?” Martha asked curiously.

“She’s on her way back from shopping.” Marcus told her.

Martha nodded and smiled again.

“I’m going to go up and see Roman.” She told her son quietly. “Don’t let the other know I’m here ok.”

“Are we going home?” Marcus asked her.

Martha nodded.

“Just need to speak to Roman and thank him for taking care of you.” She whispered easing past him and up the stairs.

Marcus grinned and ran back over to where the babies were.

Martha moved along the landing to where she remembered their bedroom being. She stepped inside and heard Roman moving around the bathroom first before noticing the fallen clothes strewn on the floor. Smiling she took off her blouse and dropped that beside his t shirt then added her trousers the other side of his making it look like they were taken off at the same time. She slipped under the covers and rolled around in the bed making the sheets rumpled. She smelt Ella’s perfume on one of the pillows and reacted by tossing that to the floor.

Ella pulled the car up outside and climbed out slowly. She sighed at the wasted journey and cursed again at leaving her purse behind. Dragging herself inside she saw the children sitting in front of the tv eating popcorn as they watched a movie.

“Hello Mummy.” Sophie called out.

“Hey babes. “ she said softly going over and kissing her on the top of her head. “Thanks for the text.”

“It was Sammy’s idea.” Sophie told her quickly.

“That so Samson.” Ella said quietly grinning as he nodded his mouth too full of popcorn for him to speak.

She leaned over and kissed him before standing and walking over to the stairs.

“Is Daddy home?” she called.

“He’s upstairs.” Meggy said.

Ella nodded and walked up them slowly. She reached the bedroom and turned the handle opening the door. Her attention was drawn to the clothes scattered on the floor first of all feeling a strange sense of déjà vu. She noticed the discarded pillow next looking as though it had been dragged off the bed in a fit of passion and she felt a wave of revulsion go through her before dragging her tortured gaze to the bed. She saw Martha lying in her bed as though asleep. The bed covers rumpled around her.

“Get the hell out of my bed you bitch.” Ella screamed out.

Roman heard the shout and ran out of the en suite a towel slung around his hips. He looked in horror at Martha in their bed and he paled.

“Ella.” He cried out.

“No.” she said holding up her hand. “Let me guess this isn’t what it looks like.” She laughed bitterly.

“El please.” He said striding towards her.

Ella looked from one to the other.

“Get her out of my bed.” She told him. “Get her bastard out of my house.”

She turned and walked out of the room down the stairs stepping past the open lounge door and outside. She looked at her car and discarded it stepping around the side of the house and into the garage. She picked out the keys to Mike’s motorbike and moved towards it wheeling it out before climbing on the powerful machine and starting it up. She revved the engine a few times before roaring off down the drive. She turned left at the end of the road and let it take her away.

“You better have a good excuse for pulling this stunt.” Roman snarled wondering how the hell her was going to fix this. He strode over to where her clothes were scattered on the floor and picked them up. Within second he’d thrown them at her.

“Get dressed.” He snarled out at her.

Turning his back to her he grabbed some clothes for himself and moved back into the bathroom pulling them on quickly. He looked in the mirror seeing a haunted look on his face before yanking open the door. Martha was gone from the room and he sighed with relief for the few precious seconds that gave him to get his feelings under control. He thought that if he had seen her again at that moment then he would have hit her. Pulling himself together he moved over to the bed dragging off sheets and the covers. He bundled them up and moved throwing first one lot then a second down the stairs before walking down them. He saw Martha standing near the door and he glared at her.

“Where is Marcus?” he asked slowly.

“He’s getting his things.” Sophie cried out standing nearby them. “What happened?” she asked.

Roman took a minute to compose himself using the excuse of scooping up the bedding taking it through to the laundry. He turned around and walked back to the door.

“Martha is taking him home.” Roman said. “Come and say goodbye to him.” he called out to everyone.

Marcus walked slowly down the stairs clutching his bag with one hand and his teddy with the other. He looked around them all standing there and gulped before looking over at his mother.

“I don’t want to go.” He said quietly.

“Come on Marcus.” Martha called out quickly.

He stepped forward and looked at Sammy.

“Bye.” He called out.

Sammy rushed over to him.

“See you soon.” Sammy promised.

“Yeah kiddo see you soon.” Georgie said coming over to him and ruffling his hair.

“Bye Marcus.” Sophie said in a grown up voice.

“See you.” Meggy said reaching over and hugging him.

Martha looked at her son before glancing at Roman’s face. She flinched from the intensity of the other mans anger before picking up Marcus and carrying him to her car speaking softly to him as he began to cry.

“Where is Mummy?” Sophie asked.

Roman turned and looked at her.

“I don’t know Sophie.” he was forced to admit.

“Oh.” She said and moved over to the lounge door. “Come on Samson lets watch the end of the movie.” She addressed her brother leading him over to the sofa.

Roman walked onto the veranda and watched Martha drive off.

Chapter 67

Ella pulled up outside the house and climbed off Mike’s motorbike. She eased knots out of her body and stretched before knocking on the door and easing inside.

“Ella.” Miles gasped. “Roman’s been worried sick about you.”

Ella gave him a hesitant smile.

“I need a caravan.” She said without further explanation.

“Oh so you’ve been gone all night and you stroll up….” Miles began angrily.

“I caught Martha and Roman in bed together.” She said quietly.

“You heard her Miles she needs a caravan.” Lee told him from the kitchen.

“I can’t…”

“Shush.” Lee said moving over to the board containing the key across the room. She selected a set of keys and handed them over to Ella. “Number 7.” She told her. “I’ll bring over some things for you in a minute.”

Ella nodded.

“Miles please don’t tell him I’m here ok.” she begged huskily. “I know it’s a big ask but I need the space.”

Miles looked at her and was about to say something when Lee put her hand on his arm.

“It’s ok Ella.” Lee murmured.

Ella nodded and moved out of the house. She kicked at the stand on the motorbike and wheeled it out of sight round the back of caravan number seven before she took the key and opened the door. Moving to the bed at the back she looked at it for a moment before sinking on to it tiredly. Digging into her pocket she pulled out her phone and switched it on not surprised when it was full of messages. She was sat scrolling through them when Lee knocked on the door and came in.

“Colleen is about so it’s best if you keep your head down.” she said quietly placing a pile of clean bedding on the side.

“Lee I need someone to talk to.” Ella said finally.

“I can’t believe that Roman will cheat on you.” Lee said softly easing down beside Ella.

“It’s not just that.” Ella said after a few moments.

“Then what is it Ella?” Lee asked putting her arm around her.

“I think I’m pregnant.” Ella whispered the words.

“Oh my god El!” Lee cried out.

“I know. It was stupid ok, we thought that…” Ella groaned at hot tears splashed down her cheeks. “that I’d had a hysterectomy.”

“Oh Ella.” Lee sighed remembering how much that must have hurt. To be told one thing and then find out it wasn’t true because some sick person wanted to mess with your head. “Have you done a test?” she asked.

Ella nodded.

“It was positive and I haven’t…” she stopped blushing. “that time of the month hasn’t happened.”

“So what are you going to do? You need to tell this to Roman.”

“Thanks for reminding me.” Ella rubbed at her eyes and stood up pacing across the small space.

“He doesn’t deserve to worry himself sick about where you are whatever he’s done.” Lee pointed out.

Ella looked over at her and pushed her hand through her hair. She turned and opened the door stepping outside.

“Ella.” Lee called.

Ella ignored the call and moved to where the motorbike was parked. She climbed on it feeling her muscles protest as she controlled the weight of the powerful machine. Wheeling it around she turned the small key in the ignition and started it up. Lee watched her drive off a worried frown on her face.

It took twenty minutes to reach home on the motorbike. She parked it behind her car and staggered off it walking slowly into the house.

“Mummy.” Meggy called out running over to her.

“Hey Megs.” Ella said softly.

She bent down and kissed her daughter before straightening and moving into the kitchen where Roman stood in brooding silence.

“Nice of you to come home.” He said finally.

“Oh no you don’t.” Ella snapped quietly. “Don’t you turn this around and make me the bad guy here. I wasn’t caught in bed with Martha.”

“I wasn’t in bed with her.” Roman bit out folding his arms across himself.

“No you weren’t but I warned you what would happen. How she would creep in. How she would force us apart.” Ella said softly.

Roman looked at her before turning his back on her and placing his hands flat on the kitchen top.

“So ..” he began to speak.

“I want you to move into the spare room.” she told him. “We need to take some time to figure out what is next.”

“What do you mean?” he asked her sounding defeated.

Ella stepped forward and stood next to him lowering her voice.

“I mean that I want to know that I’m not bandying the word divorce around because my nose is put out of joint.” She told him softly.

Roman sucked in a deep breath.

“And that …” she stopped taking a breath herself. “That we know we are going to make it.”

She didn’t wait to see what effect her words had on him moving out of the kitchen and heading up the stairs. She paused outside their former bedroom before heading through the door. She stopped looking at the room. Roman had rearranged the furniture. New sheets and covers adorned the bed.

“I didn’t know what else to do.” Roman said from behind her.

“It looks different.” She whispered.

Roman nodded.

“That was the intention. I didn’t even know she was here El, I certainly didn’t sleep with her.” he sighed. “And I can’t prove it.”

Ella nodded herself.

“I need some sleep.” She said quietly.

Roman stepped past her and into the room. He drew the curtains closed shutting out the light before going to the dresser and taking out one of her night-dresses and laying that on the bed.

“Roman.” She whispered his name.

“The mattress is new along with the pillows.” He explained softly.

She nodded stepping forward slowly.

Roman watched her carefully. He took in the dark rings around her eyes and sudden pallor and swore under his breath moving towards her and taking her into his arms.

“It’s going to be ok, promise.” He whispered.

She shook her head.

“No it’s not, I’m pregnant.” She whispered.

Roman flinched only just managing not to drop his hold of her in shock.

“El.” He murmured.

She shook her head and tried to pull away yanking at her arms.

“Ella stop ok.” he said quietly.

He guided her to the bed and made her sit down and knelt in front of her easing off her shoes before undoing the fastenings of bother her top and jeans. He slid her arms out of her sleeves discarding the top behind him shocked by the doll like quality to her movements at his direction. He took the nightdress and pulled it on over her head. He eased the jeans down as far as he could and sighed as she stood letting him take them down her legs. She sat once more and he peeled them off the rest of the way.

Standing he helped her under the covers.

“Don’t go away again will you?” he asked her softly. “I’m right here ok, when you are ready to talk I’m right here.”

He leaned down and pressed a gentle kiss to her forehead before tugging up the covers over her. With another sigh he moved out of the bedroom and down the stairs.

“Is it true Mummy is back?” Sophie asked him noisily from the kitchen. She’d just gotten out of the swimming pool her long hair hanging in damp tendrils around her face, a towel wrapped around her.

“Yes it is and please keep your voice down.” Roman said softly. “She’s asleep.” He added.

“Oh.” Sophie gasped.

“Go back swimming she’ll be up in a bit.” He added. “I’m sure she’ll want to put the Christmas tree up.”

Sophie grinned before turning and running back out. She ran past Mike and Danni and down to the pool.

“She’s back then.” Mike said redundantly leading Danni inside.

Roman nodded.

“She ok?” Mike continued.

“Mike please.” Roman murmured.

“Look we have a right to know what is going on. It’s not like her to disappear without making sure the children are ok.” Mike said ignoring the look that Danni gave him.

“Stop.” Roman said his voice breaking. He turned his head away blinking back tears as the emotion built up inside him. He heard the word pregnant repeated over and over again like a mocking litany inside his head and his hands shook. He fought to control himself but the tears fell down his face and he turned leaning back against the cupboards hoping the solid wood would somehow keep him upright but even as he hoped that he sank down to the floor his hands covering his face as he sobbed.

“Oh god Mike do something.” Danni cried out.

“Dad.” Mike said quietly moving towards him.

“No.” Roman gasped out. “I don’t deserve anything.”

“Don’t be stupid.” Mike burst out moving again until her was sitting next to him on the floor. “Come on she’s back now.” He pointed out thinking that was the reason for the other mans’ collapse.

“God Mike.” Roman gasped. “You’ve got no idea what I’ve done.” He added and inside his head it chanted “pregnant pregnant pregnant” over and over again.

“Roman pull yourself together. Either go up and sit with her or go see your children but you can’t stay here like this.” Mike said ignoring the look that Danni shot him when he offered the first suggestion.

Roman looked at him dashing the remaining tears from his eyes with the back of one hand and stood shakily. He nodded at Mike and made his way to the stairs. He looked up them for a long moment as though they were enemy terrain before he worked up enough nerve to climb them. Each step made his heart pound harder. Finally he was at the top. He moved to their bedroom door, finding that his hand was shaking as he slowly turned the handle.

Ella turned and looked at him as he moved into the bedroom. She moved over in the bed and lifted the covers up in invitation.

Roman groaned walking over to the bed. He kicked off his shoes and climbed inside pulling the covers carefully over the pair of them as he took her into his arms.

“I’m sorry.” He whispered into her hair.

“We thought it was ok.” she murmured back in response her voice husky.

“Ella I love Lily and Liam and I know I’ll love our other babies when we get them home with us but it was pure selfishness for me not to have had a vasectomy years ago and take care of you. “ he groaned out.

She sighed.

“I didn’t want you to.” She told him. “I knew the thought of it was bothering you “

“No Ella there is no excuse.” He muttered.

She sighed closing her eyes tiredly.

“It’ll be ok.” he said. “We can deal with this.”

Ella gave a muted laugh.

“How?” she muttered. “We’re broken.”

“We can’t be broken we’re holding each other right now despite everything.” He pointed out.

Ella groaned and pulled back.

“You think a bit of comfort is the answer to what is wrong with our marriage?“ She asked him scathingly.

Roman flinched at her tone.

“Ok.” he said after a few minutes.

Ella gave a husky chuckle.

“Stop humouring me.” She told him.

“I’m not going to win no matter what I do.” He said quietly.

“Too damn right.”

Roman gave a small laugh that ended with a sigh when she snuggled up to him once more.

“El.” He said after a few minutes.

“I can’t talk anymore.” She told him. “It’s all too much.”

“I know.” He murmured. “But I just need to say…”

“You love me.” She finished for him.

“Yes.” He told her.

“I love you too.” She whispered sleepily.

He resisted the urge to smile as he looked down at her. His own eyes closed reflecting the night he’d spent waiting up for her and he eased out a slow breath as sleep claimed him.

Chapter 68

Roman woke first and eased out of the bed. He collected his shoes and moved carefully out of the room barefoot trying not to disturb her. They had so much to talk about and sort out but he could tell from her light sleep that even when she was supposed to be resting she was fretful. He pulled on his trainers and slipped down the stairs. He found the children sitting watching a film.

“How is Mum?” Mike called from over the room. The other man was sat at the table, his laptop open in front of him and a pile of papers to the side of it.

“She’s still sleeping.” Roman announced seeing that Sammy comically sat back in his seat again.

“Probably do her good.” Mike said softly glancing at Roman before looking back at his screen.

“Have they been behaving themselves?” Roman asked walking over to the table. He glanced into the kitchen and saw Danni and Gabby working together cooking and smiled at them.

“Just about.” Danni told him. “Although they want to put the tree up.”

“I know. As soon as Ella comes down we’ll do it.” Roman said pretending not to hear the excited squeak from the other side of the room.

“Miles called.” Mike told him. “I invited him and Lee over, hope you don’t mind.”

“Is that where she went?” Roman found himself asking.

Gabby moved out of the kitchen and handed him a bottle of beer.

“Yes, apparently she told Lee her news.” Mike said in a sort of code giving Roman a glare.

“It’s not certain.” Roman told him quietly. “We didn’t think it could happen.”

“Didn’t think is right.” Mike ground out.

Roman leaned forward so he was close to the other man.

“We didn’t think it was possible because we were told that she’d had a hysterectomy.” He said even quieter trying not to alarm the children over the other side of the room.

“When she went for a check up didn’t someone say….” Mike asked looking at Roman.

“I doubt the subject was broached. Remember she was very depressed after…” Roman said and took a slow drink of the beer.

“She’s going to need our understanding Mike.” Danni told him.

“I know.”

“And our support.” Gabby added.

“Great is there anybody who doesn’t know.” Roman said quickly.

“Me.” Meggy piped up. “I’ve been trying to listen in for ages and it sounds very …” she stopped and moved over to Roman climbing on his lap before glancing in Sammy’s direction. “Is Mummy ill again?” she whispered in his ear.

Roman drew back and looked at her.

“No sweetie promise.” He told her. “She’s been worn out with Marcus and this is on top of being sad about the babies. She just needed to have a night off.”

Meggy nodded.

“Double promise?” she asked him.

“Promise promise.” Roman said softly.

“What you promising now?” Ella called from the doorway.

“Mama.” Liam shouted out excitedly. “Tree.” He called.

Lily scrambled off the sofa and moved over to her taking hold of her hand. She tugged on it and tried to pull her towards the tree.

“I think they want you to decorate the Christmas tree.” Roman told her softly.

“That so.” Ella murmured.

“Please Mummy we’ve been waiting ages.” Sammy begged.

“Is the box out?” she asked referring to the crate of Christmas decorations.

“Yes.” Roman said quietly holding on to a squirming Meggy who was trying to get down so she could go to the tree.

“I suppose.” Ella said. “We could do the tree.”

“Yes.” Sammy called out running over to the box.

“Want a drink?” Danni called from the archway into the kitchen.

“Can I get a coffee please?” Ella asked helping Liam down from the sofa and taking both him and Lily with her as she moved to the tree. She sat down on the floor and opened up the box beginning to take out the various packets and boxes of decorations. She reached in and took out the string of lights.

“Here.” She told Roman.

“Grr.” He muttered pulling a face.

“Daddy.” Meggy giggled, finally escaping him and moving to sit with Lily.

Roman stood up and took the lights from her and plugged them in testing them. He left them lit while he sorted out the artificial tree putting the sections together and moving the branches.

“Hurry up you aren’t using it for camouflage you know.” Ella called out to him.

“Ha ha.” He said smiling at her.

She smiled back at him, both of them missing the look that Danni and Mike passed between them.

“Here you go.” Danni said handing over a cup.

“Thanks.” Ella murmured taking it and giving the rich brew an appreciative sniff. “Are you putting up a tree?” she asked Danni.

Mike shook his head.

“Why not?” Danni asked.

“Because we don’t have one and we’ll probably be over here anyway.” He pointed out looking down at his textbook.

“Well that told me where I’m spending Christmas.” Danni muttered and flounced into the kitchen.

Mike gave a small chuckled and focused once more on his book.

“I trust you are planning something or well you might end up sleeping on the sofa a lot!” Roman said quietly to the other man.

Mike looked up at Roman and then glanced past his shoulder checking on Danni. He made sure she was busy with Gabby before he spoke.

“A week in a luxurious spa.” He said. “Which she can have over Christmas or if she wanted to spend it here then…” he stopped when Danni turned and began walking back into the room.

“Don’t you think I would like a tree and decorations…” she began.

“Danni we share a house with Gabby and Jacob. It’s not going to be our first Christmas together and anyway we haven’t even discussed where we want to spend it.” he pointed out.

She sighed and gave him another look.

“What if Gabby…” she began.

“I wish I hadn’t asked.” Ella said before digging into the storage box. She took out a small box and stood up walking over to the table. Setting it down she opened it up and took out a small bauble handing it to Mike.

“Ah.” He said a goofy expression on his face.

It was made of glass and pale blue colour with his name engraved on it. The addition of the name Harris after Addison made after Roman had adopted him.

Danni grinned at him.

“Here you go.” Ella called holding out Danni’s bauble.

Hers was pale pink and you had to look close to see the speech marks around the name Danni her real name being Donnatella.

“Ouh.” Danni cried moving over and collecting it.

Roman smiled at them as he put the lights round the tree.

“Hurry up.” Danni cried suddenly “I want to put my bauble on the tree.” She added and blushed as Mike laughed at her.

He stood and moved over to her side putting his arms around her.

“Love you.” He whispered in her ear.

She flushed even redder before grinning at him and kissing him.

“Can I have mine?” Sophie asked giving up trying to be unexcited by putting up the tree.

Ella nodded holding out a lilac bauble.

“Next?” she asked.

“Me please.” Georgie said rushing over to her side.

Ella grinned and handed out the next one. It was pale green and the writing shone out silver.

“Mummy.” Meggy cried out.

“Here you go.” Ella said handout Meggy’s.

Meggy ran her finger over her name smiling.

“Yours Sammy.” Ella said holding out his bauble.

Sammy smiled picking it from her hand and looking at his name.

“I’ll give you yours in a minute.” Ella said to Lily when her young daughter clutched at her leg.

Gabby moved slowly into the lounge one hand on her back.

“How you doing?” Ella murmured to her daughter.

“Don’t ask me that I’ll end up giving you a list.” She murmured.

“Looking for your bauble?” Ella asked her and smiled as Gabby nodded immediately. She handed her daughter hers grinning at her excited expression.

“Jacob not coming over?” she asked.

“No he’s working. Got some temp work.” Gabby said.

Ella nodded.

“He’s welcome you know.” She said to her glancing over at Sophie.

Gabby grinned at her sister.

“I know. She’s already told me that. Many times in fact.”

Ella smiled.

“Ok lights done. Go ahead kids.” Roman called out.

Meggy reached into the box and took out tinsel wrapping it around the tree followed quickly by Sophie doing the same.

Ella knelt down again and picked up her cup not surprised it had cooled. Taking a long drink she watched as the kids vied to decorate the tree. Ella placed her cup aside and opened up a second box containing other baubles.

“Come on Lils.” Sophie said encouraging her sister to put some on the tree.

Roman moved over to Ella said and sat on the floor with her. He looked into the box and picked out the evergreen garland.

“Georgie want to put this over the mantle. Need to take the pictures off first.”

Georgie nodded collecting it and setting to work.

Liam picked up a star shaped piece and walked over to the tree. He threw it at a branch and frowned when it fell off.

“No babes you need to hang it.” Gabby said stepping forward and helping him.

She caught everyone looking at her and blushed.

“I used the Ella voice again didn’t I?” she asked.

“Not half.” Sophie told her.

Ella laughed.

“What are we having for dinner?” Ella asked Roman.

“Feeling hungry?” he asked her.

She nodded.

“And I’ll kiss anyone who says pizza.” She added giving him a grin.

“Pizza.” Miles called out walking in the front door with Lee. He was carrying Millie in his arms and chuckled at the comical change of expression as she saw the Christmas tree being decorated.

“Want to help Millie?” Sophie asked.

“Yes.” Millie cried out.

Miles set her on her feet and watched as she ran over to the tree.

“Mike want to put these up?” Roman asked handing out garland decorations to the other man.

“I suppose so.” He said grinning.

“Use this.” Ella told him handing him some sticky tape.

“So.” Lee said sitting on the sofa.

“I told him.” Ella said quickly.

“Good.” Lee said not meeting Ella gaze as she spoke.

“And you told him who….” Ella said raising her eyebrow.

“Guilty as charged.” Miles said.

“Well thanks.” Ella snapped.

“El, they were worried about you.” Roman said quietly.

“Have they come for dinner or to check up on me?” she asked him folding her arms across herself.

“Both.” Roman answered leaning over and kissing her.

She pulled back and smacked him without thinking about it.

“Guess it was a bit soon for that.” He said ruefully rubbing his face.

“Sorry.” She gasped out putting her hand over her mouth.

“It’s fine.” He told her.

“But…” she muttered sounding guilty.

“El it’s ok.” he said softly.

“You know on second thoughts I think I’ll skip that kiss you owe me.” Miles murmured.

Ella blushed and stood up.

“El.” Roman murmured.

“Just heading to the study.” She said quietly.

Roman nodded easing up himself. He moved over to the kitchen and took out a couple of beers taking one through to Miles.

“Wine?” he asked Lee.

She nodded.

“Do you have red?” she asked grinning.

Roman nodded and walked back into the kitchen. He uncorked a bottle of red wine and poured out a glass taking it through to Lee.

“Thanks.” She said sipping from the glass. “That’s nice.”

Roman grinned.

“Nice to see someone enjoying wine.” He told her.

She laughed and then caught Ella’s expression as the other woman walked back into the lounge.

“El.” Roman called.

Pinning a smile on her face she walked over to him and handed him a box.

“Here.” She said quietly.

He smiled at her as he took the box from her hands not noticing Ella looking away from him and frowning. He opened the box and gave a little groan.

“God.” He muttered.

“What is it Daddy?” Sophie asked moving over to him.

“More baubles.” He said emotionally.

“Let’s see.” She asked peaking over the side of the box. “Oh wow.” She murmured picking one out and looking at it.

“Sophie?” Meggy asked.

“They’re for our sisters.” Sophie explained.

“Oh cool.” Georgie exclaimed.

“There is one for Toby as well.” Ella said quietly. “But it will have to wait until he comes back.”

“Can I put this on?” Sophie asked.

Ella nodded.

“El.” Roman said again.

“Yeah?” she asked.

“Just wow.” He said smiling at her.

She looked away from him and moved past him to go pick up her cup taking it through to the kitchen.

Roman waited until Sophie collected the second bauble and handed it to Meggy smiling as her sister placed it on the tree, before he moved into the kitchen after Ella.

“What’s wrong?” he asked her quietly.

“Nice to see someone who enjoys wine.” She quoted in a mocking voice.

“Oh.” He said stepping back. “I didn’t mean anything by it.” he added.

“Maybe it’s a bit hard for me to deal with you flirting right now.” Ella hissed at him checking that they weren’t being overlooked.

“I wasn’t…” he began.

“Sorry that I don’t drink wine then.” She snapped out turning and walking back into the lounge. “That’s pretty.” Ella told Sophie.

“Really?” she asked.

“You’ve all worked hard on it.” she murmured. “Come on Lily want to put on your bauble?” she asked her moving to the table and taking it out of the box. She walked to the tree and bent down near her daughter carefully handing over the bauble to her.

“Ta.” Lily called out.

Ella pointed out a section where the bauble could go and helped her daughter place it on the tree.

“Pretty.” Lily called out.

“Me’s next.” Liam asked.

“Here.” Roman said kneeling next to them and handing Liam his bauble.

Liam smiled and looked at the letters that spelled out his name even though he couldn’t read.

Roman helped his son place his bauble on the tree.

“Well done babes.” He said to him scooping him into his arms and hugging him.

Ella watched him for a long moment before turning away and standing up.

“How is that dinner coming on?” she asked.

“I’ll go check it.” Gabby said.

“No way.” Danni murmured. “You’ve only just sat down it’ll take you an hour to stand up.”

“I thought I told you no pregnant jokes.” Gabby grumped.

Mike chuckled and climbed off the chair he was using so he could put up the multicoloured garlands.

“Don’t worry you’ll get your own back when she’s pregnant Gabby.”

“Not any time soon Mister.” Danni told him wagging her finger at him. “You can always go and sleep on the sofa.”

Ella moved into the kitchen and looked at the pots on the cooker.

“Potatoes, beans, sweetcorn and peas, chicken, something vegetarian for you.” Danni said from behind her. She walked over to the oven and opened it taking out the chicken and checking it. “I think it’s done.”

Ella stepped up beside her and looked at it.

“Yup.” She agreed with her. “I’ll get the plates out.”

“Mum.” Danni protested.

“Are you doing gravy?” Ella asked moving around the kitchen.

“Do you have instant?” Danni said quickly.

Ella nodded and took it out of the cupboard placing the tub on the top. Danni put the kettle on before draining the vegetables.

Ella took out Lily and Liam’s plates and cutlery, adding extra for Millie. She picked up a fork and mashed the potatoes Danni placed on their plates. She spooned out some of the other vegetables.

“Mike.” Danni called out as she mixed the gravy.

Mike moved into the kitchen.

“Can you cut up the chicken.” Danni asked moving to the grill and checking on the vegetable fingers she was cooking for Ella.

“Ok.” Mike answered stepping to the sink and washing his hands.

Ella eased out and moved over to pull up the high chairs next to the table clearing off Mike’s papers and laptop carefully.

“What are we having?” Miles called out.

”Gruel.” Georgie told him grinning.

Miles laughed and stood moving over to the table.

“Need any help?” he asked.

“It’s all done.” Ella said giving him a smile.

“I’ll sort drinks.” Roman said moving into the kitchen. He took out beers for Mike, Miles and himself and picked up the wine bottle taking it to the table before fetching beakers and juice for the children. “What do you want to drink Gabby?” he asked his daughter first.

“Milk please.” She asked with a grimace.

“Indigestion?” he asked her.

Gabby nodded.

“Not much longer.” Roman sympathised.

Lee moved to the table sitting next to Gabby.

“Have you found out what sex you are having.”

Gabby looked at her.

“None ever again.” She muttered.

Lee burst out laughing.

“No I want to be surprised.” Gabby grinned. “Makes it a bit hard to plan a nursery though.”

“Right.” Danni murmured coming through with plates. She began placing them around the table. “Come on kids.” She called.

Roman moved out of the kitchen with a glass of milk for Gabby and the two plates for Lily and Liam. He placed them on the highchairs before rounding up the two little ones and getting them into their highchairs. He picked up Millie next and placed her on Miles’ knee. Another trip to the kitchen fetched the plate of food for her.

“Thanks.” Miles called out.

He watched as the other children moved to the table and sat down grinning as Ella brought out knifes and forks.

“These might be useful.” She said softly before sitting down next to the plate that contained the vegetarian option placed near the highchairs.

Roman walked back into the kitchen and stood next to Danni.

“What do you want to drink?” he asked her.

“Some of that wine.” She muttered looking into the jug she was making the gravy in.

Roman took out a glass for her and moved to the table pouring it out and putting it on the table.

“El?” he asked.

She looked at him and shook her head ignoring his frown.

“Ok then.” He said after a moment and sat next to her at the table.

Danni came out with the gravy and placed it down before collapsing on a seat. She turned to Mike.

“We are so not having a large family.” She told him. “Or if we do you are cooking for them.”

Mike grinned.

“That will be pizza every night then.” He told her. “Oh and my mother will be moving in.” he added glancing over at Ella as he mentioned pizza and saw her eyes light up at the mention of her favourite food.

Chapter 69

Ella moved around the bedroom, frowning at the new unfamiliar layout. She grimaced as she stubbed her toe on the antique trunk that served as a blanket box.

“Ok?” Roman murmured from the doorway.

She looked up and over at him.

“I still need you to sleep elsewhere.” She told him quietly.

“El.” He protested.

“Don’t. I can’t deal with you right now.” She muttered. “I can’t be all …” she stopped and looked at him.

“Ella. I. Was. Not. Unfaithful.” He enunciated carefully.

She gave him a look, pain etched on her face.

“You did not listen to me. You put her and that boy before us. You couldn’t even sort out the DNA test properly. “ she told him placing her hands on her hips. “Stop pushing me to accept things I tell you I can’t accept. Right now I can’t accept you as a husband and in bed with me.”

“But you let me hold you earlier.” He said frowning.

“Before I heard you with Leona.” She shot out.

“I was not flirting with her.”

“You damn well were.” Ella shouted. “You were flirting and she’s my friend and it was under our roof in our house. Right in front of me.”

“I’m not going through this. Either you trust me and we can go on or you don’t trust me.” Roman shot out.

Ella glared at him breathing in and out rapidly.

“Then I don’t trust you.” She told him quietly.

Roman moved over to the chest of drawers and took out some clothes before turning and moving down the hallway to the spare room. He collapsed on the bed fully clothed and switched out the light plunging him into darkness.

Ella sat slowly looking around the bedroom before crawling under the covers and curling up into a ball. She switched out the single light and willed herself to go to sleep. Drifting off slowly she evened out her breathing and relaxed.

Roman woke up and lay puzzled for a moment before working out what had woken him. He climbed off the bed and moved down the hallway and saw their bedroom door open. He looked inside and saw that the bed was neatly made and the room empty. He glanced at his watch and saw that it was barely 7am. Frowning he moved along to the nursery and saw it empty. Thinking she was downstairs with the children he moved down the stairs himself. He moved through the house checking the study when he found the lounge and kitchen empty. Moving back to the lounge he found a square of paper placed on the dinning table and he walked over to it a feeling of dread inside him. It was a sheet of A4 plain paper with her scrawl on it. He remembered that in the old days he would look to the end of a note from her to see if she’d put the double “xx” before reading it. He noticed immediately that there was no x in place before reading the rest of it.

“Gone to the studio. Taken Lily and Liam. Back Christmas eve. Will phone.”

The sentences were written without her usual flare and he hated that she had disappeared in such a way as though not trusting him to allow her the time she needed. And then he mentally kicked himself because he hadn’t given her any space since they’d lost the babies. She’d wanted to go back to the studio and he’d stopped her. Thinking suddenly of William Gardener he pulled out his phone grimacing at the low battery symbol flashing on the display. He pressed keys and dialled calling Jacko who was still staying at Miles’ place with Pete joining him there.

“Better have good reason for waking me up.” Jacko answered.

“Ella has gone to stay at the studio. Is it safe?” Roman asked getting straight to the point.

“What?” Jacko gasped out. “Silly girl.” He added.

“Thanks for answering the question there.” Roman drawled out.

“Wait hang on.” Jacko said and Roman heard mumbling in the background. “Pete is calling James to go check on her.” Jacko told him. “Is she alone?”

“She has the two babies with her.” Roman confessed feeling a sudden dread in the pit of his stomach.

“Well that answers that. She won’t take chances with her young uns.” Jacko murmured. “Give you a call in a bit.”

Roman sighed and thanked the other man before he hung up knowing what Jacko had said was true. He moved into the study taking the paper with him so the children wouldn’t find it and plugged his phone in to charge. It immediately beeped with an incoming message and he flicked it open to read it.

“Arrived safe. Speak later. El.” He read out and sighed once again before turning around and moving into the kitchen. He found Ella had written some things on to the shopping list and he grinned feeling a sense of relief that she was planning on coming back.

He began looking through the cupboards and added things himself before frowning and moving back to fetch his phone dialling her number.

“What?” she answered.

“Hello to you to dear.” He drawled.

Ella laughed the sound somehow making him feel better.

“We’re shopping.” She murmured. “I’ve got hair stuff for the girls. And a new Nintendo for Georgie. Can’t think what Sammy wants.”

Roman moved to sit on the chair at her desk.

“Study stuff?” he questioned.

“That’s an idea what about a desk and chair set for his room.”

“Sounds good. He’d like that. Could get him an encyclopædia and globe and stuff to go with it.” Roman said quietly.

“Do you want to get the furniture and I’ll get the other bits?” Ella suggested. “Lily, no, put it back.”

Roman smiled some more as he heard the second sentence.

“Ok. I was ringing to ask what are we doing for Christmas? Are we having a big dinner like normal.” He murmured doodling on a piece of paper on her desk.

“Probably. Why don’t you ask Nic and Aden what they want to do?” she suggested. “Liam I already told Lily not to do that.” She called out.

“Shall I call you back later?” Roman asked hoping that she wouldn’t say no.

“I have you on hands free.” Ella said with another laugh. “Otherwise I probably wouldn’t be able to speak to you at all.”

“Ok then.” He said softly.

“I’ve got perfume and bits for Belle and Nic. Some pampering stuff for Gabby.” Ella listed.

“Still doing stockings?” he asked.

“Yes definitely.” She said quickly.

“Planning something Mrs Harris?” he said and cursed silently that he may have ruined things with calling her that.

“Of course.” She murmured. “I’m at the tills. I don’t know what to get Amy-Belle this year. Do we know if she’s decided anything?”

“I’ll ask when I speak to Aden.” Roman told her. “Hey how about a surfboard for Georgie?”

“Don’t think so.” Ella murmured. “Unless he’s bugging you for more lessons.”

“No, not spoken to me.”

“I’ve got to go in a bit. How about you suggest it to him? Lessons that is. Sorry got to go. Speak later.”

“Bye.” He said quickly but heard the dialling tone telling him the call had already ended. He found he had a stupid smile on his face and he looked at the display dialling again.

“Hey Dad.” Nic called out. “Just on the way to the shop.”

“Feel like have some volunteers?” he asked her. “I’m off food shopping soon and some secret other shopping.”

“Anything to do with the time of year?” she responded.

“Might be.” He murmured. “Ella suggested that we ask you and Aden what you wanted to do this year with regards to Christmas.”

Nic gave a brief laugh.

“Spend it with you.” She told him. “That’s what we’d planned on anyway.”

“You sure?” Roman asked her.

“Sure.” She confirmed. “Like always. It’s tradition. Christmas Eve present, breakfast present and then spend the day with each other doing all those special Christmas things.”

Roman sighed.

“Is that going to be a problem?” Nic asked him.

“No of course not. It’s sounds amazing as always.” He assured her.

“Is Ella doing stockings again?” Nic murmured slowly.

“No.” Roman lied and heard her sigh.

“Bring them into the shop when you need to.” She said after a pause. “See you soon.”

Roman grinned and said goodbye before hanging up. He scrolled through the menu and found Aden’s number before dialling.

“Hello.” Aden’s voice greeted him.

“Hey yourself.” Roman said. “Ella told me to ring and ask what you wanted to do for Christmas.”

“Well what is our choice? Is Ella going to buy us a trip somewhere?” Aden murmured.

“The answer is no.” Roman told him bluntly and heard the other man laugh.

“Coming to you I think is the answer but well Belle is a little nervous.” Aden said lowering his voice.

“Why?” Roman asked puzzled.

“Well the whole Amy-Belle thing.”

“Ah! Speaking of Amy-Belle, Ella wanted me to ask what she is doing? Because I think Ella wants to buy some stuff for the baby.” Roman said softly.

“We don’t know.” Aden said with a sigh. “We’ve been wondering that ourselves.”

“Ok mate. I’ll get Ella to ring Belle and invite her.” Roman plotted.

“That would be good.” Aden told him.

“Speak soon.” Roman said hanging up. He typed out a message and sent it to Ella watching as he got the delivery report before moving back out and back to his shopping list. Within minutes it got longer and he smiled to himself as he moved around his kitchen re-stacking some of the cupboards ready.

Ella moved out of the shop and along to the next one pushing the buggy in front of her.

“Mama.” Lily called out.

“What sugarplum.” Ella asked smiling at her daughter.

“Chriss-mas.” She called out. “Pretty’s.”

“That’s right.” Ella said wheeling the buggy into the next shop. She eased it around the displays and over to the far wall. She looked through the various items before picking out two tiaras.

“Pretty.” Lily called out.

“You want one too Lils?” Ella bent down in front of her daughter and asked.

“Yess.” Lily lisped smiling sweetly. Ella stood and picked out a set that contained fairy wings and a wand with another tiara. She looked at it before taking another one in a different colour for Mira and finally one for Millie knowing all three girls would want them. “What about you Liam?” Ella asked him.

He looked around the shop his eyes big pointing to a pirate costume.

“Want to be a pirate Liam?” Ella asked and saw him nod. “You know these have to be given to Santa so he can give you them on Christmas day don’t you?”

Lily and Liam nodded solemnly and she knew from their too innocent expressions that they were planning on getting their hands on them as soon as possible. She grinned and reached for the pirate costume adding that to the bag. She turned the buggy around so they were facing away for her before adding some princess dresses for the little girls and a bunny costume for Liam. She knew that she might only get him in it for five minutes but she’d have the camera ready. Moving to the tills she paid for the purchases and walked out of the shop tugging the bag on to the handle of the buggy. It was already laden and she’d only been to three shops she thought with a grin.

“Mama.” Lily called.

“No more Lils.”

“Thirsty.” Lily called out.

Ella chuckled and began pushing the buggy towards the lift to take them to the café on the bottom floor of the shopping mall. It was opposite her favourite jewellery shop and well Danni and Gabby didn’t have any diamonds. Yet.

Archived