Broken

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 110

“So tell me again why I have to go to the boring studio?” Sophie asked turning up her nose petulantly.

“Because I said so.” Ella replied.

“But Fleur isn’t going!” Sophie shot out stamping her foot.

“Because I want to spend a day without caring for a baby and spend some quality time with my other children.”

“If you want to be without babies why is Lily coming?” Sophie muttered.

“I thought that my catching a spider stopped you from having a teenage tantrum.” Ella said to her.

“As you keep pointing out to me I’m not a teenager yet.” Sophie shouted. “And maybe if you hadn’t have got my horse killed I would like you.”

She turned on her heel and ran all the way up the stairs before Ella could say anything and she was still standing still in shock when she heard the door to attic rooms slam. A minute went by before Sophie’s bedroom door slammed.

Roman walking in through the back and looked over at her.

“Was that Sophie?” he asked.

Ella nodded before turning away and walking into the study. She shut the door quietly and sank down on the sofa before bursting into tears.

Roman looked at the study door and then up the stairs. His SAS training came to the forefront and he retreated back outside. If in doubt make a strategic withdrawal and reassess the situation.

“I heard shouting.” Marcus said walking over to him.

“Yup. Stay out here it’s safer.” He told the boy grinning at him.

“No worries.” Marcus answered back before picking up his action man and running back over to where Sammy was. They had borrowed Liam’s sandpit and made a fort on it with twigs and bits from the garden and were waging a war against each other. Roman had been watching them for the past hour smiling at how ingenious they were and then there was the bit of him that normally shied away from their “war” games but he didn’t feel the same uneasiness this time. He knew that was down to Ella making him feel easier about his soldiering past.

“Ok?” he asked before turning around and looking at her.

Ella nodded and walked over to him smiling as he opened his arms and held her.

“Are we going?” he asked. “Because we need to get on the road in an hour or so.”

Ella looked at him and bit her lip.

“Maybe it is a bit soon to leave Fleur again. I mean she has only just begun bonding with me.” She said her eyes huge in her pale face.

“We can take her.” he told her.

“No I mean stay here. Sophie wants to be with her friends.” Ella said sighing.

Roman looked at her and felt his heart thump in his chest. He moved away from her and pressed the button on the intercom.

“Sophie Nicole Harris get your butt down here in the next ten minutes with your bag packed and ready to go.” He shouted into it before releasing the button. He heard swearing coming from the other end and he pressed the button again.

“One more word from your lips and I will ground you.” He said in his normal tone of voice. “You do not swear at your parents.”

He released the button for the second time and walked back over to where Ella was.

“Need to get packed.” He told her. “We’re leaving in ten minutes.”

“We’re already packed.” Sammy called out.

“Should I check what they put in their bag?” Roman asked Ella and saw her nod.

“This is Marcus’ first time at the studio.” Sammy murmured dropping his action man toy and standing up walking over to her. “Are you going to take our photos and can we go to Papa Joes?”

Ella nodded.

“We might be going out to dinner so nice trousers and shirt should be in the bag.” Ella called out to Roman as he moved to the stairs.

“I’ve told him about it but he really needs to see it doesn’t he.” Sammy said excitedly.

Ella smiled at him before she bent down and hugged him really tight.

“Mum.” He said after a moment.

“Yeah?” she asked.

“Kind of squishing me.” He murmured.

Ella grinned and eased back looking at him.

“Thank you for the hug.”

“No worries.” Sammy said before giving her a cheeky grin. “Thank you for the broken ribs.”

Ella gave him a look before she grinned.

“Can you go get washed please? Both of you.” She asked them smiling as they rushed past her and up the stairs. She walked into the lounge and saw Georgie lying on the sofa his headphones on as he read a magazine and shook her head before walking over to him and tapped him on the shoulder. He pulled the speakers out of his ears and looked at her.

“We going then?” he asked.

Ella nodded.

“I want you to go get packed. Good trousers and a shirt too as we are going out to dinner.” Ella murmured. “And don’t…”

“I know don’t forget my toothbrush.” Georgie said with a grin.

He vaulted up off the sofa and over to the stairs meeting Sammy and Marcus coming down them.

“We’re going Papa Joes.” Sammy told his brother excitedly.

“Cool.” Georgie grinned at him.

Ella smiled and looked in the crib at Fleur with a sigh. Her baby girl was fast asleep and looked like an angel.

“I’m here Darl,” Irene called out. “You sure about leaving her?”

Ella nodded.

“We need to spend some time with the others giving them a treat.” She said although her voice was wavering.

“I don’t mind the little ones too you know.” Irene said. “Annie is here to help me.”

Ella nodded.

“I know but with Lily the way she is I just don’t think it’s right to leave her.” Ella murmured sounding sad.

“Hey wife.” Roman said from the doorway.

Ella turned and looked at him pinning a smile on her face.

“Yeah, you don’t fool me.” He told her moving over and hugging her.

“Need to get Lily and Liam sorted. Where has Meggy got to?” Ella said her bottom lip quivering.

“I’m here Mummy.” Meggy said from beside Sammy and Marcus. “The babies are here too. Shall we get in the car?”

Ella looked up at Roman and saw him nod.

“Ok.” Ella said.

“I’ve left the bag on the bed. You need to put your clothes in it.” he told her.

Ella nodded and moved away heading up the stairs.

“She’s going to be ok.” Irene told him.

“Fleur or Ella?” Roman quizzed.

Irene chuckled.

“Both.” She told him. “Told her I’ll have the babies?”

“No it’s taken all her courage to leave you with Fleur. Again for the second week.” Roman pointed out. “We’ll be back on Sunday morning.”

Irene nodded.

“I’m sure I’ll be hearing from you.”

Roman laughed.

“Several times.” He predicted.

Turning he walked out to the car and saw that Meggy had put the babies in their car seats and strapped them in. He checked the straps anyway and ignored the look that Meggy gave him before moving around to the back of the car and lifting in the three bags there.

Georgie came out next and walked around the back handing over his bag.

“Got everything?” Roman asked him.

“Toothbrush, smellies, shirt and trousers and just for a change I remembered my underwear.” Georgie told him. “Oh and before you ask socks too.”

“Ok no need to be sarcastic.” Roman murmured grinning at his tall son.

“Er should I tell you my sister is not coming.” Georgie said, his voice lowered so the others didn’t overhear him.

“She might want to have a rethink.” Roman murmured. “Hop in the car.”

Georgie nodded and climbed in frowning at Meggy.

“This seat was vacant.” Meggy told him innocently.

“Yeah and it’s the only seat that I can stretch my legs out in.” Georgie muttered.

Meggy unclipped her seatbelt and moved blushing as Georgie kissed her on the cheek.

“Thanks.” He said.

Roman walked over to the house wan went straight up the stairs. He moved along to the second set of stairs and straight into Sophie’s room.

“Hey!” she cried out. “I thought you were supposed to knock.” She screeched at him.

“And I thought I told you to pack.” He said back.

He turned to the wardrobe and took out the floral bag Sophie used for her packing and began to stuff things into it.

“What are you doing?” she gasped out.

“I gave you a choice Sophie.” Roman murmured.

“I’m not going and you can’t make me.” Sophie cried out going over to him and tugging the bag out of his hands.

“Ok then. I’ll go down and tell Irene that you are staying here. And that you are grounded. No tv. No ipod. No phone. And you’ll be put to work in the garden.” Roman said turning and walking out. He walked down the stairs and bumped into Ella coming out of the babies room with a bag of their clothes.

“What?” she asked him.

“Nothing.” He told her.

“Ok.” she said handing him the bag and then reached for a second one and passed that to him. “Might want to put this one in the car it’s got some toys in it to keep them occupied.”

Roman nodded.

“You packed?” he asked.

She nodded.

“I’ll be down in a minute.” She promised.

He smiled and leaned over kissing her on the cheek before he went down the stairs and out to the car.

Ella moved into the bedroom and added her pile of clothes to the bag before putting her washbag on the top. She gave a look to travel bear sitting on her dresser and picked him up hugging him before putting him back. Picking up the bag she walked out of the room and down the stairs, handing her bag to Roman before taking a last look at Fleur.

“She’ll be fine.” Irene told Ella.

Ella nodded and blew a kiss to her daughter before heading out to the car. She saw Sophie climbing into the back and looked at Roman. He gave her an innocent smile before shutting the back up.

“You driving?” he asked.

She shook her head and handed him the keys from her handbag.

“Thanks.” He muttered.

Ella leaned up and kissed him before walking around the car and climbing in the passenger seat. She clipped her seatbelt closed and turned around checking all the children.

“Mama.” Lily called out.

“What baby girl?” Ella asked smiling.

“Cat.” Lily said pointing to her bag.

“Shall I give her the cat?” Marcus asked.

Ella nodded.

“Please.” She told him.

Marcus leaned forward and handed Lily the stuffed cat and then the blanket smiling at her as she snuggled down in her car seat.

“Lily sleeps?” Ella asked.

Lily nodded.

Ella smiled at her before turning to the front of the car.

“And how long will it be before Mama sleeps?” Roman asked catching hold of her hand and drawing her fingers to his mouth and kissing them.

“About ten minutes.” She said.

She turned to the back and looked at Sophie.

“Hand me your phone.” She told her.

“Wait no. I’m coming on your stupid trip.” Sophie cried out.

“Phone now.” Ella said.

Sophie glared at her and then shot a narrowed eyed glare at the back of her fathers head before passing the phone forward. Ella took it from her and placed it on her handbag before settling down in her seat.

“What time do you think they will get here?” Danni asked looking over at Mike.

He looked over at her standing at the edge of the bed and pulling on clothes, smiling as he recognised his shirt.

“Should be about an hour or so.” He said giving her a look.

“An hour?” she asked.

“Plenty of time.” he said reaching for her.

She gave a little giggle and sidestepped him before moving into the kitchen.

“Might be plenty of time for that but we need to clean the flat first.” She called out.

“Spoilsport.” He called and eased out of the bed tugging on his jeans. He shoved his feet into trainers and grabbed a t shirt before heading out to the kitchen himself. He moved around it filling and putting the kettle on before rinsed off all the pots and filling the dishwasher. He added the powder and set it on before gathering the rubbish together and started taking it out. Danni grinned at him before throwing open the windows and letting fresh air in. She gathered up all their books and took them through to the bedroom before turning back around and moving back into the room. She took out the duster from the pantry with the polish and began to clean the shelves.

Mike walked back in and did the second trip to the bins. He returned and washed his hands before making the coffee.

“Coffee.” He called out.

“Be there in a minute.” Danni said and then stopped and smiled at him.

“Yes we are being all domestic.” He told her.

“Uh huh.” She grinned as he strode over to her side and caught hold of her face between his hands. He leant down and kissed her passionately moaning softly as they fell on to the sofa and he felt her hands pushing up his T shirt.

“I want a baby.” Danni said unable to hold the words back.

Mike eased back and looked at her.

“Not unless you marry me first.” He told her.

“Hey shouldn’t I be saying that about you sleeping with me.” She muttered easing back and looking at him.

Mike smiled.

“I want to have babies with you too.” He told her.

“Didn’t say that a few weeks ago.” She muttered.

Mike sighed and placed his finger on her lips.

“Shush.” He told her and saw her eyes shoot sparks at him. “I want to have babies with you too. But first I want a wedding and to see you in that lovely dress you have already. I want to spend a lovely honeymoon making love to my wife knowing that any one of those times may give us our baby. That way my wife will know that I married her for her and not for any potential children she has.”

Danni sighed and wrapped her arms around his neck snuggling close to him.

“That may be the most romantic thing you’ve ever said to me.” She gasped.

“Uh huh.” He eased back and looked at her. “I love you so much Danni and I want the nice house and the lovely kids but more than that I want you.”

She grinned.

“So we can’t have a quickie then before they get here.”

“Set the date Danni Harris.” He murmured.

Danni smiled at him.

“Christmas day.” She said.

“This Christmas?” he questioned.

She nodded.

“But not a church thing. I want it to be in your parents home with Geoff doing the service and then some friends in the afternoon.” She said biting her lip. “Because it was Christmas …”

“I know. It was Christmas day when you came to us. I think that is a wonderful idea.” He told her easing up of the sofa and going over to fetch their drinks. He passed her cup to her and eased down next to her.

“We should finish the cleaning.” She said.

“I’ll get the hoover out in a minute.” He murmured taking hold of her free hand. “Just kind of enjoying the moment right now.”

Danni smiled at him.

“Of course this does mean that I’m never going to be allowed to forget our wedding anniversary.” He murmured after a few moments.

“If the next words from you are about saving on presents we aren’t going to make it until Christmas.” She threatened.

He smiled and looked at her.

“I believe that you get pretty spoilt.” He told her. “I always like to give you extra at Christmas.”

“To make up for not really having a birthday.” She murmured her voice sounding sad once more.

“Because that’s when you came to me.” He told her quietly.

Danni flushed and was about to say something when Mike leaned over and kissed her easing back after a moment and looking at her.

“Right cleaning.” He said standing up and taking his empty cup to the kitchen. He walked over to the pantry and took out the hoover pulling out the cord and plugging it in before starting it up. He ran it over the kitchen floor and then where the dinning table was before taking it through to their bedroom and picking up bits and pieces and putting them on the bed before hoovering the rest of the room. He switched it off and took it back out and over to the living room.

“I’ve finished if you want to do the mat.” She told him.

Mike walked over to her and kissed her before setting the hoover back on and going over the mat. He finished quickly and put the hoover back in the cupboard glancing at his watch.

“Another drink or shall we head to the bedroom and see how quick we can be?” he asked her.

Danni smiled and began unbuttoning the shirt she had borrowed from him earlier. His breath caught in his throat as he watched her and he grinned when it dropped to the floor and left her naked in front of him.

“Ok then.” He growled out running over to her and picking her up and putting her over his shoulder. He strode into the bedroom and cleared the bed in rapid movements before laying her on it. He kissed his way down her body as he kicked off the rest of his clothes and covered her body with his own.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 111

Ella guided the kids into the apartment. She looked over and saw one of mike’s shirts on the floor and caught Roman grinning at her.

“Shush.” She muttered softly.

He walked over to the kitchen and very noisily began making coffee for them and getting juice for the children.

“Can we put on a film?” Sammy asked.

“No I need you to put your stuff in your room and show Marcus where he is going to sleep.” Ella said to him watching as they all moved to their bedroom. She guided the babies into the nursery and distracted them by putting their toys away before she rushed out and picked up Mike’s shirt. She folded it neatly and then went over and raised her hand to knock on his bedroom door.

“Ella Harris.” Roman called out urgently. “that can really put a guy off his…er… stride.”

She looked at him.

“I know. I don’t want to be a grandmother quite so soon.” She said back.

He shook his head before he walked over and put his hand on her arm drawing her over to stand with him in the kitchen.

“Here is some coffee.” He told her handing her a cup. “Now are we going out tonight?”

Ella shook her head.

“Tomorrow night. We’ll take the babies with us.” She murmured.

Roman nodded.

“Then we need to think about food. It appears that your son hasn’t filled the fridge.” He told her.

They looked up when Mike’s bedroom door opened and Mike and Danni eased out hastily smoothing down their clothes.

“Hello Mother.” Mike said softly.

“Mike.” Ella said. “You left your shirt on the floor.”

“So I did.” Mike chuckled looking at a blushing Danni. “We’ve settled on a date.”

“Really?” Ella asked her voice rising excitedly.

Danni nodded.

“Christmas day.” She murmured.

“Oh my beautiful daughter.” Ella said going over to her and hugging her.

“What’s going on?” Sophie asked coming out of the bedroom.

“We’ve chosen a date for our wedding.” Danni said.

“Cool. When?” Sophie asked.

“Christmas day.” Danni said again.

“Should have waited and told them all in one go.” Roman murmured softly. “Anyway Ella we have to go shopping.”

“We do?” she asked.

He nodded.

“Come on I want to cook.” Roman said to her.

She gave him and look and moved over to his side and collected her cup, drinking her coffee in one go.

“So who are you having as bridesmaids?” Sophie asked.

Ella shook her head.

“Not you.” She told Sophie. “You’ll find you are still grounded.”

Sophie lapsed into silence and shot her mother a look before sinking on to the sofa. She picked up one of the drinks that Roman put out and took a sip of it.

“El.” Roman murmured.

“Yeah I know shopping.” She said glancing over at Sophie’s back before picking up her handbag and walking over to the door. Roman gave Mike and Danni a smile before he grabbed the keys and followed her.

Danni watched them go before she went and sat next to Sophie.

“Ok spill it what did you do?” she asked her sister.

“I got mad.” Sophie muttered. “There’s a girl at school she’s having a sleepover with Angel.”

“And?” Danni asked watching out the corner of her eye as Mike poured out drinks for them.

“Well before I got asked Angel blurted out that I was coming here for the weekend.” Sophie added.

“Sucks being the kid that is mega rich and can go to their place in the city doesn’t it.” Danni said trying not to grin at the expression on Sophie’s face.

“I’m not rich.” Sophie muttered after a moment. “I don’t have a lot of money and I’m not like got everything.”

“But you have a phone and an Ipod and new clothes all the time.” Danni pointed out.

“It’s just stuff.” Sophie said.

“Funny but when you don’t have your phone aren’t you like a basket case.” Mike said from the other side of the room.

“Oh shut up.” Sophie cried shooting up form the sofa and running into the bedroom.

“Thanks a lot.” Danni muttered.

“I was talking. She took it the wrong way.” Mike said holding up his hands defensively.

“You were talking to a girl not one of your men.” Danni muttered.

“Harsh.” Georgie said from the doorway.

Mike looked at his brother.

“Me or her?” he asked.

“So not answering that one.” Georgie said holding his hands up too.

“Huh, men.” Danni said standing up and moving over to the nursery to check on Lily and Liam.

Georgie chuckled and moved over to the sofa. He clicked on the tv and surfed though the channels until he found something to watch. Sammy and Marcus came out of the bedroom and moved to sit next to him.

“What did you say to Sophie?” Sammy asked his brother.

“Wasn’t me.” Georgie said quickly. “And don’t expect me to go and speak to her either.”

Sammy laughed.

“She’s having a girl talk with Meggy. Something about a girl called Buffy.” Sammy told him.

Georgie felt himself start to go red and covered it up by taking a drink from his beaker. He gave his attention to the tv not even looking away as Mike sat next to him.

“What are we watching?” Mike asked.

“Stuff.” Georgie said helpfully.

Mike laughed and reached for the remote. He skipped though some button before he found a movie showing and left it on that.

“Triple X.” Sammy called out. “Have you seen this?” he asked Marcus.

Marcus shook his head.

“Well there is a slushy bit but it’s about cars and explosions. It’s cool.”

“Where have the olds gone?” Meggy asked coming out of the bedroom.

“To get some food.” Mike said.

“Probably gone back home and dumped us here.” Meggy said looking at Mike.

Mike looked at his sister before easing his phone out of his pocket and dialling.

“What?” Ella muttered.

“Can you pick up some peanut butter?” he asked.

“Really? You want peanut butter?” Ella said glancing over at Roman. She saw him smile at her and mouth the word ‘Meggy’. Ella nodded. “Alright peanut butter. But we may be a while. We’ve just had to nip home and pick up Roman’s wallet.”

“What?!” Mike exclaimed shooting up from his seat.

“And tell Meggy that it was a good one.” Ella said laughing as she hung up the call. She placed hr phone in her bag and looked at Roman.

“Now tell me what is the deal with Sophie?” she asked him.

“Er nothing.” He said walking down the next aisle away from her.

Ella sped up to catch up with him and placed her hand on the trolley and looked at Roman as he sighed.

“She wasn’t going to come so I threatened her with being grounded.” He muttered.

“Did she tell you why she didn’t want to come?” Ella asked.

Roman shook his head.

“No.” he said with another sigh. “And I didn’t ask.”

Ella looked at him and sighed.

“So hormonal wife and grumpy teenager. You are so going to have a good weekend aren’t you.” She told him.

“Hey wait you didn’t warn me there were hormones about.” Roman said a note of authentic sounding panic in his voice.

Ella giggled.

“You should be glad it means my system is getting back to normal.”

“Honey, I’m never pleased when you and hormones are in the same sentence let alone the same location.” He said moving the trolley.

“Hey where are you going?” Ella asked him.

“The chocolate aisle.” He called out.

“Bastard.” Ella muttered under her breath.

“I heard that.” He said as he walked away from her.

Ella looked at his departing back and frowned as she thought of a few more choice phrases stopping when Roman stopped and turned looked at her.

“I heard those too.” He told her and grinned as she moved over to his side. He put his arm around her and kissed the top of her head.

“You ok?” he asked softly.

“Think so.” Ella said. “Feel teary.”

“Probably why you didn’t tackle Sophie on her behaviour.” Roman pointed out.

“I know.” She admitted.

“Lets get a chocolate cake?” he suggested.

Ella shook her head.

“Well actually you can for the kids but I think I want something else.” She said softly.

“Anything you want.” He grinned.

“Keeping my hormones happy?” she asked.

He nodded.

Ella sighed.

“Well in that case can you…” she began and heard him laugh before she finished her sentence.

“Love you Ella Harris.” He told her.

She stopped still and looked up at him. He saw her lips so sweet looking and couldn’t resist kissing her.

“Love you too husband.” Ella told him her hand stroking down his back.

“Lets treat the kids to some snacks then.” He said after a minute leading her down the next aisle.

Ella nodded and reached for cheesy crisps and Pringles. She added a couple jars of dip to the trolley before they reached the biscuits and chocolate section. Ella added some of Mike’s favourites flushing as Roman grinned at her before she reached for chocolate covered biscuits. She added a couple packets of sweets.

“Ok?” he asked smiling as Ella nodded. “Nothing else you want to add?”

“No.” Ella said demurely.

Roman grinned at her.

“Right how about some ice cream?” he asked.

Ella rolled her eyes.

“With whipped cream.” He added.

She gave him a look.

“And maybe some strawberries.”

“Roman.” She gasped out blushing.

“Just suggesting desert.” He told her smiling innocently.

“Of course you are.” She muttered folding her arms.

He grinned at her as they walked thought the store. He guided them to the fresh produce section and added salad items to the trolley. He added potatoes and then mushrooms before heading to the dairy and choosing real butter and feta cheese. He added other cheese too.

“Think Mike has beer?” he asked her.

“He might do but more likely to have wine.” Ella murmured.

“I think we’ll pick some up.” He said. “You drinking?”

Ella shook her head.

“Sure?” he asked her.

She looked at him.

“I want to keep a clear head in case I have to get up with Lily.” She explained softly.

Roman nodded.

“Ok lets get some sodas.”

“Kids are going to hyper.” She warned.

He smiled.

“Hormones, teenagers, hyper kids?” Roman muttered. “Was I so bad in a past life?”

Ella glared at him before stalking away.

“Did I not mention the hormones?” he said to himself as he walked to get the sodas.

Roman moved around the kitchen preparing the food. He looked over at Ella as she came up from the studio and put a box on the table.

“Mummy?” Meggy asked looking over at her.

Ella smiled and opened the book taking out the twister mat and spreading it out on the floor.

“Ella?” Danni asked.

“Girls versus boys.” Ella said.

“You playing?” Mike asked.

Ella nodded.

“Of course.” She told him.

“Ok.” Mike said accepting the unspoken challenge standing up and walking over to her.

Meggy laughed and walked over with Sammy and Marcus.

“We need Sophie.” she said. “Sophie.” she called out.

Sophie and Danni walked out of the bedroom and over to where Meggy was standing.

“Twister?” Danni asked.

“It’s girls v boys.” Sammy explained. “So it’s you, Sophie Meggy and Mum.”

“Ok. who’s first.” Danni asked kicking off her shoes and grinning.

Mike took a coin out of his pocket and tossed it.

“Heads.” Ella called.

Mike revealed the coin and looked at Ella.

“Heads it is.” He told her.

“Ok Danni you first.” Ella said spinning the dial. “Left foot on yellow.”

Roman finished the dinner smiling as he watched Ella and the kids playing together. He saw her looking happier than she had in a long time and hated that there was something out there that made her unhappy. He frowned thinking of it and caught her smiling over at him and then laughing as they all collapsed on to the spotted play mat.

“We haven’t done that for ages.” Mike said when he’d stopped laughing.

Danni leaned over and kissed him.

“Enough of that soppy stuff.” Sammy groaned standing up and walking over to sofa. Marcus followed him and they both sat down again watching the movie.

“What other games do you have?” Danni asked.

“Loads.” Ella smiled. “How long is diner?” she murmured to Roman.

“About ten minutes.”

“Can we go look?” Sophie asked.

“Take this back down with you.” Ella said handing over the twister game and watching as the three girls disappeared down the stairs together.

“Mama?” Lily called out from the nursery doorway.

“Well hello sleepy girl.” Ella said going over to her. “You’ve had a long naps.”

Lily nodded.

“Me’s poorly.” Lily said pouting.

“Ah baby girl.” Ella picked her up and pressed her lips to Lily’s forehead.

“What’s the matter Lily girl?” Roman asked moving over to them.

“Need hugs.” Lily said clinging to her mother.

Roman looked at Ella and smiled gently before going over to the bathroom and taking out the first aid kit. He brought it back with him and handed over the thermometer. Ella put it in Lily’s ear and pressed the button before reading the digital display.

“Normal.” She told Roman.

He took it from her and cleaned it before placing it away.

“Lets get some medicine ready.” He suggested and Ella nodded.

“K’s.” Lily murmured.

“Is Liam coming out?” Roman asked softly. “It’s diner time.”

“Liam.” Lily called out.

Liam toddled out to the door and handed Roman the book he was looking at.

“You been reading?” he asked his son.

Liam nodded.

“Time for dinner.” He told Liam picking him up.

Liam smiled and put his arms around his dad.

“Shall we set the table Lily?” Ella asked.

Lily nodded.

Ella reached into the cupboard and took out the plates taking them over to the table and putting them out still carrying Lily.

“Hey.” Roman called out softly.

Ella turned and looked at him standing in the kitchen with Liam on his hip.

“Remember when it was the twins?”

Ella smiled and moved over to him.

“Then it was Sammy and Meggy.” She said softly.

Roman nodded.

“Seems like it’ll be Fleur and August soon.” He spoke carefully and held his breath when he’d finished.

Ella looked at him and tears sprang into her eyes.

“then it will be grandchildren.” She said swallowing a lump in her throat.

Roman smiled at her and nodded before he kissed her.

“I promise.” He told her.

“Promise what?” she asked.

“That I am going to get our baby back.” he said emotionally. “You look so beautiful with one of our kids in your arms.”

Ella nodded and the tears in her eyes overflowed. She hastily handed Lily to him and ran across the apartment into the bedroom.

Chapter 112

Ella walked out of the bedroom and over to where Roman was sitting at the table with the children. She lifted her hand and slapped him round the back of his head.

“Hey.” He muttered putting his hand to the spot she’d hit.

“That’s for the nice chat we had before dinner.” She told him.

“That isn’t fair.” Roman told her.

“Oh no. Were you not warned? In advance?” Ella asked him.

“Mum do you want some dinner?” Mike asked her.

She glared at him and then at the lovely meal Roman had cooked before shaking her head and walking over to the kitchen and taking out the cheesy puffs, pringles and the nacho cheese dip.

“Er ok.” Mike said watching her.

“Mama funny.” Liam called out laughing.

“Oh so you think Mama is funny do you?” Roman asked his son.

Liam nodded.

“Mama giggles.” He told his dad.

Roman smiled and watched as Ella opened up the dip and selected a movie at the same time.

“So what did you do Daddy?” Meggy asked.

“He made me cry.” Ella called out. “Deliberately.”

“I so didn’t.” Roman said turned and looking at her.

“Dada noorties.” Lily told him.

“Are you turning the children against me woman?” Roman growled out looking over at Ella munching cheesy puffs.

“Not at all. My children are smart enough to choose the right side.” Ella said sticking her tongue out at him and seeing Lily and Liam giggle at her.

“Uh huh.” Roman muttered turning back to his dinner.

Ella grinned before she threw a handful of cheese puffs at his back. He stilled when they hit him before standing and looking at her.

“I so can’t believe you did that.” He muttered.

Ella threw a second handful at him laughing as one landed on his head and he had to pluck it out of his hair.

“Believe it now?” she asked him.

“Elizabeth Laura Louise Addison Harris.” He roared out before he ran over to where she was sitting.

Ella laughed and jumped up out of the seat running towards the bedroom. She laughed as Roman vaulted over the back of the sofa. He landed on the plump cushions and sprang up in an instant.

“Go Daddy!” Sammy called out.

Ella glared at her son before she dodged away from Roman and ran down the studio steps. She heard the children laughing interspersed between Roman’s footsteps on the stairs behind her and she chuckled.

Roman muttered something under his breath before he jumped down the rest of the steps and caught her by her waist lifting her off her feet.

“Ok you caught me.” She told him giggling.

He lowered her to her feet and turned her around placing a kiss on her lips.

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to make you cry.” He said softly.

“I know.” She smiled up at him.

“You need spanking though.” He murmured.

She grinned at him.

“Kids sound happy.” Ella murmured to him.

“I know.” He smiled down at her trying not to let on that he was counting her freckles. “But you planned it that way didn’t you?” he asked her.

“Maybe.” She said softly. “I did burst into tears in front of Lily.”

He nodded and pulled her closer to him holding her against his heart.

“Are you going to eat something?” he asked her. “I did something special for you.”

Ella nodded before lifting her head and kissing him.

“Come on.” He said after a moment taking hold of her hand and leading her up the stairs and over to the table. He pulled out a chair for her and waited while she kissed both babies before she sat down. He leaned down and kissed her cheek before heading into the kitchen and taking her dinner out of the oven and over to her,

“Mummy?” Sammy murmured. “Is it too late to go to Papa Joes?”

Roman gave a groan as he sat next to Ella.

“Yes.” He said quickly. “And since when did you start drinking?”

Sammy laughed.

“It’s not serious.” He told his dad with a straight face. “Just a couple beers after school.”

Roman looked at him before he laughed.

“Well just lay off my vodka.” Ella told him. “Same goes for you.” She added shooting a look at Sophie.

“Huh? No way that was Meggy.” Sophie shot back.

“I’m so glad that we can joke about this.” Roman told them all. “And by that I mean you lot better be joking or you are going to be grounded apart from attending school and your AA meetings.”

Ella laughed and picked up her fork and began eating. She smiled at Roman when she felt his hand on her knee under the table. She placed her hand on top of his and they entwined their fingers as they held hands.

“Kids in bed?” Ella asked coming awake on the long sofa.

“Long time ago.” Roman said bending down and sweeping her into his arms.

“Oh.” Ella gasped winding her arms around his neck.

“Did you want to sleep on the sofa?” he asked. “Because I would much rather be able to hold you all night.”

Ella giggled huskily, her mouth close enough to his neck that he got goosebumps across his skin.

“Are you sure you just want to hold me?” she whispered before kissing the spot behind his ear. She inhaled deeply recognising her favourite scent of aftershave on him. She eased back and looked at him before reaching out and stroking his cheek.

“You’ve shaved.” She murmured.

His eyes met hers.

“I know.” He told her with a grin before kicking open their bedroom door.

She gave a gasp as she saw candles lit around the room and the scarlet velvet bedcover on the bed, with the pillows fluffed up against the headboard.

“Just wanted to do something nice for my wife.” He told her lowering her to her feet next to the bed his arms still around her.

Ella smiled up at him before she kissed him. She felt his hands stroke down her back before he tugged up her top and peeled it off over her head. He went next to the snapper on her jeans and undid it before sliding the zipper down.

“In a hurry?” she asked. “I do feel I should have a shower first.”

Roman smiled at her.

“I can run you a bath if you like.” He told her.

“I’ll be asleep again.” She said with a shake of her head.

“Then climb into that nightdress I got out for you and get under the covers.” He said smiling at her.

“Uh huh. I was looking forward to being seduced.”

Roman stepped closed to her and began kissing her neck and along her shoulder. He heard her sigh as he pressed gentle kisses along her collarbone. He slid the strap of her bra down over her shoulder before sliding his hands around the back and fiddling with the hook and eye fastenings of her bra.

“Need some help?” she asked with a soft giggle.

“I think I can get it.” he said looking at her.

He stopped when he was doing and caught hold of her face between his hands.

“Smile at me.” He instructed.

Ella looked at him and smiled unable to stop the movement of her lips.

“My smile.” He told her. “My smile.” He said again sounding possessive.

“So tell me what this smile is supposed to be?” she asked him.

He turned her around and pointed to the mirror.

“Close your eyes.” He said softly.

She glared at him before turning her head back towards the mirror and closing her eyes.

“Think of me.” He said in a husky whisper. “Think of me walking in the door after you haven’t seen me for ages. Think of waking up next to me in our bed. Think of a perfect day with me and the kids.”

“I got the idea.” Ella murmured.

“Shush. Just do it.” he said softly.

He leaned forward and kissed the back of her neck before wrapping his arms around her and standing close to her.

“Thinking of me?” he asked.

Ella nodded feeling the strength of his arms and inhaling the sexy scent of him.

“Open your eyes and smile.”

Her eyes shot open in shock and her lips curved without her being able to stop it and she saw what he saw in her smile. Her eyes were shinning, there was a pale rose tint blush to her cheeks and her lips looked fuller than ever before with a gentle curve to them and despite the sexy feelings of being half naked in his arms it seemed innocent and pure.

“That is my smile. You never smile like that for anyone else. I’ve noticed. I love all of your smiles Ella. I love hearing you laugh so much and playing with our kids. We know they’ve been through a lot over the years but they are such wonderful happy kids Ella and that is because you are a wonderful mother.” He said his voice full of passion.

Ella blinked back tears before she turned in his arms and kissed him. She put her hands behind her back and unclipped her bra dropping it to the floor. She pushed down her jeans and stepped out of them before guiding him backwards towards the bed. He fell back on to the bed and groaned when she climbed astride him.

“Remind me to tell you about your smile again tomorrow.” He said softly as he caught her face between his hands and kissed her again.

Lily climbed out of bed and looked over at Liam still asleep in his old cot. She gave a sigh before picking up her blanket and he stuffed cat and walking out of the nursery and over to the big sofa. Climbing up on it she reached for the remote and clicked the tv on, pressing buttons until she found something on that looked familiar. She watched it for a few minutes before putting the remote to one side and climbing off the sofa. picking up her cat once more and pulling the blanket she made her way over to her parents bedroom and turned the handle, frowning when the door didn’t open. Going back to the sofa she pulled off one of the big cushions and placed it by the door before she lay down pulling her cat into her arms she covered them with the blanket and put her thumb in her mouth.

“Hey baby girl.” Ella whispered opening the door. “I thought I heard baby steps.” She smoothed down her nightdress as she climbed over her daughter and knelt the other side of her.

“Mama.” Lily cried sitting up.

“Let’s go over to the sofa.” Ella said picking her daughter up and carrying her over. She made a second trip to collect the cushion, cat and blanket. She wrapped Lily in her blanket frowning at the cold feel of her daughters skin before collecting the throw from earlier and wrapping that around both of them.

“Is my Lily girl going to tell me why she’s so sad?” Ella asked kissing the top of her head.

“Lily not sad.” Lily murmured. “Me’s happy.”

“But if Lily is happy why doesn’t she sleep?” Elal asked her.

“Lily look baby.” Lily told her.

“I know Lily is a good girl for looking after Fleur but Lily needs her sleep for nursery so she can play.” Ella said to her daughter.

“No Fleur.” Lily murmured clutching her cat.

“Don’t you like Fleur? She’s going to love you.”

“No baby sister.” Lily said. “Baby. Bad man.”

Ella gave a little gasp and looked at her daughter.

“Me’s wants sister.” Lily told her.

“Sister Fleur?” Ella asked biting her lip.

Lily shook her head.

“Bad man noorties.” Lily explained looking up at her mother. “No fair baby sister home.”

Ella lifted Lily into her lap and cuddled her.

“We want your baby sister home too.” Ella told her. “And the bad man is naughty.” She took a deep breath wondering how to reassure her daughter. “But Lily girl needs her sleeps so that when we tell the bad man off and get her sister home she can cuddle her.”

“Me’s cuddle baby?” Lily asked easing back and looking at her mother.

“Yes.” Ella promised. “You can sleep with her the first night she is home but first you need to sleep and play and do Lily girl things.”

“Me sleeps baby?” Lily asked her eyes big.

Ella nodded.

“But only if Lily girl stops worrying ok?” She spoke softly to her as she lifted Lily up and began carrying her back to bed.

“I no’s worry.” Lily said quietly, her voice sounding sleepy.

Ella lay her daughter down and placed the cuddly cat next to her before placing both the blanket and the throw around her and tucking her in.

“Mama loves her Lily girl so much.” Ella whispered. “Now have sweet dreams.” She added as she bent down and kissed her daughter. Straightening up she looked in on Liam before heading back to bed, pausing only to switch the tv off.

Roman stirred as she climbed in next to him.

“Cold feet.” He mumbled to her.

Ella nodded and pressed herself close to him as she gave in to her tears.

“El?” Roman asked coming awake.

She shook her head unable to speak.

He pulled her into his arms, wrapping his tightly around her as she sobbed into his shoulder her whole body shaking.

“Ok you need to tell me what is wrong now.” He told her when she couldn’t stop crying.

“I found out what is wrong with Lily.” She gasped out.

“Come on sweetheart.” Roman said softly.

He eased back and stroked the tears from her face.

“She’s been worrying about the bad man having her sister and she wants her home.” Ella gasped out.

Roman shuddered as her words sank in and he went to climb out of bed.

“She’s asleep.” Ella said reaching for him.

He turned and looked at her before laying back down and pulling her once more in his arms.

“I’m ready to kill him for what he did to you.” Roman said quietly. “But now after hurting my little girl I’m going to make him suffer?”

Ella eased up and looked at him.

“God no, don’t make him eat in the diner that’s just cruel.”

Roman looked at her with narrowed eyes before a smile crept on his face.

Its been a week since I last updated and none of you are shouting at me to hurry up and update... You must all be fed up of this story.... Perhaps this will be the last chapter then.....

Chapter 113

“Morning.” Roman murmured walking out towards Ella. He smiled at Liam before being unable to stop himself picking up Lily and hugging her.

“Morning.” Ella said smiling up at him. She stood up and moved over to the counter in the kitchen and made a cup of coffee for him.

“Dada squesses me.” Lily announced.

Roman shot Ella a rueful smile and placed his daughter back in her highchair before moving to sit the other side of Ella. She kissed him before sitting back in her seat and placing the coffee in front of him.

“She’s ok.” Ella told him.

“I know.” Roman grinned, looking at her and seeing that she was wearing full make up and styled her hair. His grin faded and he gave her a frown wondering what she had planned.

Ella grinned at him as she slid a folder towards him chuckling at his puzzled glance as he looked at her before he opened it.

“Ella.” He said laughing.

“Now you have photos.” She told him.

She’d spent an hour going through her archives down in the studio and pulling out photos of her from the past along with taking some more. She’d actually had fun dressing up and trying on a number of looks before the yuk part of taking her own photo, hating being in front of the camera.

“I certainly do.” He said in a husky voice leaning over to kiss her. “Thank you.”

“Would you like some of us later?” she asked him a light in her eyes.

Roman nodded quickly.

Ella giggled and leaned over to kiss him.

“Mama happy.” Liam told Lily.

Lily nodded chewing on her breakfast.

“Morning.” Meggy called out walking over to the table. “What are we doing today?”

“Well it’s up to you lot. I was thinking along the lines of shopping, park, dinner, Papa Joes,” Ella gave her daughter a list.

“Sounds good to me.” Meggy said sitting at the table and pouring cereal into a bowl and adding milk.

Roman chuckled as he watched his daughter.

“And you can go give Jacko a call can’t you?” Ella spoke to Roman.

He raised his eyebrows as he gave her a look.

Ella returned his look with an innocent one of her own as she sipped at her coffee.

“Great!” Georgie murmured. “Breakfast.”

He strode over to the table and pulled out a chair before giving Meggy a sideways glance.

“I forgot what it was like to share with everybody.” Georgie murmured.

“We didn’t talk that much.” Meggy protested.

He shot her another look as he sat down and helped himself to toast spreading it with thick peanut butter.

“We should arrange a holiday with all the cousins together. “ Ella said suddenly. “Let them get to know your family.”

Roman smiled at her.

“Really?” he asked.

Ella nodded.

“They are old enough.”

“That would be wicked.” Georgie told them. “They still haven’t met Toby.”

“Or the babies.” Meggy said before clasping a hand over her mouth.

“That is true.” Ella said softly giving Meggy a smile. “Do you think your family will be up for something like camping?” she asked Roman.

“They managed with the caravan park.” Roman pointed out.

Ella nodded.

“We’ll have to arrange something then.” She told Roman and saw him smile at her.

She eased out of her seat and kissed Lily and Liam before heading over to the bedroom.

“Mum seems happy.” Georgie commented.

“She is feeling happier.” Roman told him.

Georgie nodded and bit down on his toast.

“I think that was a ‘Georgie’ comment for keep it that way.” Meggy told her dad.

“Yeah I got it. Thanks for the translation though.” Roman smiled at his daughter.

Meggy flushed and held her head down as she concentrated on her breakfast.

“Is there Museli?” Sophie asked coming out of the bedroom and heading over to the table. She slunk down in a chair and dragged a bowl over to her before picking up the cereal box and looking at the ingredients. Roman frowned at her before he stood up and moved into the kitchen taking out the museli from the cupboard.

“Oh great.” Sophie called out holding out her hand.

“Want to get off your backside and come get it?” Roman asked her.

“Not really.” Sophie answered smiling at him.

Roman gave her a look and put the box down before he pulled out a frying pan and put it on the hob.

Meggy shot a look at Sophie and grinned at her as she got out of her chair and moved over to the kitchen.

“Thank you Daddy.” Sophie murmured softly.

“You’re welcome.” Roman said quietly.

Sophie glared at his back and stuck out her tongue before she turned and headed over to the table. Roman spun around and stuck out his tongue at her departing back and heard Meggy and the babies burst into giggles.

“What?” Sophie asked turning and giving her father a look.

“Nothing.” He said.

Sammy and Marcus came out of the bedroom and looked at the still giggling Lily and Sophie walking over to the table and grinned at each other.

“Are you cooking Daddy?” Sammy asked, a hopeful note in his voice.

Roman smiled at his son and nodded.

“Bacon and eggs?” he asked looking over at Sammy and chuckling as he saw his son grin.

“Yes.” Mike muttered as he eased out of his room. He approached the table and looked for the coffee before looking at Roman accusingly.

“I don’t know where the coffee-pot is actually before you say anything.” Roman addressed Mike.

Mike looked at him again before looking round for his mother.

“She do some photography?” he asked.

Roman looked up.

“Yeah she did.”

“That explains the missing coffee pot. It’ll be downstairs.” Mike said making himself a cup of strong coffee. He sniffed it as he began to move over to the table.

“She did?” Sophie squealed excitedly.

Mike laughed.

“You wanna be a photog squirt?” he asked his sister.

She glared at him squinting up her eyes.

“She does and take your hangover somewhere else.” Ella said coming out of the bedroom.

“Mum.” Sophie gasped. “You’re wearing make up.”

“I know.” Ella said.

“Can I….”

“Did you bring any?” Ella asked interrupting her daughter’s question.

“No.” Sophie muttered.

“Then no.” Ella said ignoring the look that Sophie shot her.

“Do you want any more breakfast?” Roman asked Ella as she headed back to the table. She smiled at him and shook her head.

“What’s a pho tog?” Marcus asked frowning as he pronounced the new word.

“It’s short for photographer babes.” Ella said giving him a kiss as she sat down.

“Ok.” Marcus nodded as he absorbed the information.

“Can you teach me something today?” Sophie asked with a grin.

“Did you bring your camera?” Ella murmured.

“No.”

“Same answer as before. I recall that you didn’t want to come so don’t expect us to want to spend time with you.” Ella pointed out her tone soft.

Sophie looked at her before she picked up her bowl and deliberately threw it on the floor and ran towards her bedroom.

“Sophie Nicole Harris. “ Ella shouted out. “Get back here and clean it up.”

Sophie ignored her and ran into her room.

“El?” Roman asked puzzled by the uncharacteristic behaviour from their daughter.

Lily looked from one person to the other before she started crying.

“What is her problem?” Meggy asked Georgie.

“Keep out of it.” Ella told them quietly as she picked up Lily and cuddled her before handing her over to Mike.

“Ma?” Mike muttered holding Lily at arms length.

“Practice.” Ella muttered to him grinning as he blushed before cradling his crying sister and then walking the way that Sophie had gone. She stopped near Roman and ran her hand down his back before she whispered in his ear.

“Oh.” He gasped.

Ella leaned back and looked at him.

“You too?” he asked.

Ella nodded.

“Ok.” he grinned. “But I’m buying plastic bowls for next month.”

Ella gave him a look and disappeared after Sophie. She found her daughter sobbing on her bed and looking really miserable.

“I’m sorry.” Sophie cried out.

“I know.” Ella said sitting next to her.

“I don’t know why I did that.” Sophie muttered.

“Really?” Ella asked. “It seemed pretty obvious to me. Maybe because it’s that time of the month for me.”

Sophie looked up and her mouth dropped open.

“I’m pre menstrual?” she asked in shock.

“Mood swings are common my lovely girl.” Ella told her moving to put her arms around her.

“I have to put up with this all the time?” Sophie gasped out.

“Not all the time. It’ll settle down.” Ella promised. “And we can look at things to help you.”

“You mean the pill?” Sophie said crying again. “I’m only 12 how is Dad going to cope if I go on the pill? He can’t even handle me wearing a bikini.”

Ella smiled and kissed her daughter before wiping her tears away.

“No, you’ll keep a diary of times and work out when your symptoms are worse and work with them. It’ll will be ok, really its just part of growing up.”

“I don’t want to grow up.” Sophie cried. “None of my friends have started. It’s horrible and I hate it.”

Ella smiled.

“So do I. But it gave me you and your brothers and sisters,” She pointed out softly.

Sophie looked down.

“Suppose I didn’t want kids.”

“You might not.” Ella murmured. “But it would be a shame because I think you’d make a lovely mum. You used to take care of Sammy when you were only little yourself. And look at you with the babies?”

Sophie grimaced.

“Have a little lay down then we need to get going.” Ella said giving her another hug before she stood up and moved out the room. She saw immediately that Roman had cleared up the broken bowl and she smiled at him.

“She ok?” he asked moving over to where she was standing.

Ella nodded.

“She’ll be fine.”

Roman pulled her into his arms and hugged her.

“You going to be ok Daddy?” Ella asked him.

“Nope. Not a chance in hell.” He said leaning his head on her shoulder. “By the way she’s grounded until she’s thirty.”

Ella smiled.

“Yeah.” Ella said softly. “I’ll let you tell her that.”

Roman glared at his wife.

“Is that supposed to be funny wife? I’ll have you know I’m used to dangerous missions.”

Ella nodded before reaching up and patting his cheek.

“Good luck.” She murmured and walked away from him to where the children were sitting looking subdued.

“It’s ok.” she told them. “Sophie just needs a bit of understanding.”

“Oh.” Meggy said with sudden comprehension.

“What?” Georgie asked.

“Men.” Meggy said folding her arms.

“Oh?” Georgie asked. “Really? Already?”

“Guys hush up. You’ll make her feel embarrassed ok. She’ll talk to you about things when she is ready.” Ella said softly kissing the top of Meggy’s head before she sat down.

Meggy nodded giving Georgie a look.

“What?” he muttered.

“Has everyone had enough to eat?” Ella said cutting off a growing argument.

“Yes.” Marcus murmured quickly.

“Sure babes?” Ella asked gently.

He nodded and smiled at her.

“Can I put this thing down yet?” Mike asked referring to Lily sitting on his lap as he struggled to eat.

“Nope.” Ella and Meggy said at the same time.

“See, I told you she gets it from you.” Roman murmured.

Ella turned and glared at him.

“You told Sophie yet?” she asked him.

“I’m waiting for the right moment.” Roman said giving her a look.

“Coward.” Ella said softly.

“I heard that.” Roman muttered.

Sammy chuckled.

“Right I need hands and faces washed and teeth cleaned please. We’re going out soon.” Ella announced.

She grinned as there was a mass exodus from the table and kids running over to the bathroom.

“Mama?” Liam called.

“Want down baby boy?” Ella asked and saw him nod. “Ok.” she said lifting him out and letting him go down. She moved into the kitchen and made herself another quick coffee. “Where’s Danni?” she asked Mike.

“Sleeping hopefully. She …er… drank a bit.” Mike said guiltily.

Ella gave him a look.

“I should make you babysit as a penance.” She told him.

“No way.” Mike said and earned another look, this time from Lily. “She knows what I’ve just said doesn’t she?” he asked him mother in a slow voice.

Ella nodded.

“Yup.” She answered.

“She’s going to get me isn’t she?” he added in the same tone of voice.

Ella nodded once more and heard Roman chuckle behind her.

“Mikey.” Lily said holding up her hand to his face.

“That’s a new word for her.” Roman commented.

“Luckily that’s her only new word after what was being said last night.” Ella pointed out giving Mike a look.

Mike paled remember the drinking game he and Danni were playing. Fuzzy duck seemed such and innocent expression unless there was tequilla involved.

“I could look after Liam and Lily?” Mike offered guiltily.

Ella laughed and shook her head before draining her cup.

“We’re shopping this morning and then going to park this afternoon. You could join us later if you want.” Ella murmured to him.

Mike smiled and nodded.

“I’ll have to see how Danni is.”

“Mum.” Sophie called peeking out of the bedroom.

“Hey.” Ella said standing up and going over to her. “Coming out?”

Sophie looked at her Dad before looking back at her.

“Is it ok?” she asked her bottom lip quivering.

“Course it is.” Roman said.

Ella smiled at her daughter and opened up her arms grinning as she ran into them.

“Going to go give your face a wash and get ready?” She asked Sophie. “We’re going out in a bit.”

“Yeah.” Meggy said coming out of the bathroom ahead of Sammy and Marcus. She grinned at Sophie. Georgie followed behind them a smear of toothpaste still on the side of his mouth.

“Georgie want to try again with the washing?” Roman murmured to him.

“What?” he muttered.

Roman pointed to the bathroom and watched as Georgie reluctantly moved inside. Sophie nodded at her mother and walked over to join her brother in the bathroom.

“Liam time to wash your face.” Roman called out to his son.

Liam looked up at him and shook his head.

“Liam.” Roman murmured.

Liam giggled and stood up looking over at his Dad.

“I think he wants you to chase him.” Ella said.

Roman shook his head.

“I used to have a platoon of troops and now I’m down to chasing a two year old.” He muttered.

Ella looked at him and put her hands on her hips.

“You know what, don’t bother.” She snapped at him moving over to pick up Liam. She carried him into the bathroom and closed the door.

Mike looked at Roman and half shook his head.

“Yeah I know.” Roman said going over and collecting Lily off his lap. He smiled at his daughter and walked through to the bathroom with her.

“Mama.” Lily called out.

“Hey Lily girls.” Ella said softly lifting Liam down and turning around.

Sophie and Georgie shared a look before they walked out of the bathroom. Roman moved to the sink and took out Lily’s toothbrush. He put a small amount of strawberry flavour toothpaste on it and handed it to Lily.

Lily smiled and began brushing her teeth with it.

“Back teeth too.” Roman told her.

“Bet you never had to do that with your troops.” Ella muttered before she opened the door and led Liam out.

Roman narrowed his eyes as he watched her go.

“Dada cross faced.” Lily told him.

“That is because Lily needs to stop eating her toothpaste and brush.”

“Me’s brushing.” Lily told him giving him a foamy smile.

“Uh huh.” Roman murmured.

Lily frowned at him looking at him with her blue eyes.

“Done?” Roman asked softening his tone.

Lily nodded.

Roman turned on the tap and put some water in the beaker before holding the cup for Lily to drink.

“Rinse.” He murmured.

She took a drink and swished it round her mouth before leaning over and spitting. He gave her another drink and she did the same again before handing over her toothbrush. He put the beaker down and took the brush off her before finding the flannel and rinsing that out before wiping her face and hands. He lowered her to her feet and watched as she walked over to the towels drying her hands and rubbing it over her face.

“Done?” he asked her and saw her nod. Smiling he opened the door and watched as she ran over to her mother.

“Ready?” he asked Ella.

She gave him a look before nodding and grabbed her handbag as she began leading the children out of the apartment. Roman followed slowly wondering if Ella was going to start talking to him any time soon.

*Peers into the darkness*

Scotcaz22..... You still there??

*Goes back to updating*

Chapter 114

Ella guided the children down the street. She gave Roman another hostile glance.

“I’ve said I’m sorry.” He murmured.

“You forgot the buggy.” She said again moving Lily to her other hip and jostling her again.

“You know what you want to have an argument with me so go ahead. Get it out of your system.” Roman snapped.

Lily frowned as she looked at him.

“Kids stop messing about.” Ella called out as she saw Sammy pushing Marcus. “No I don’t want an argument with you. I just want you to bloody apologise.”

“I’ve apologised.” Roman shouted.

The children stopped dead and looked at them.

“Because you feel you have to and not because you are sorry.” Ella said softly and lowered Lily to her feet. She took hold of her hand and and began walking towards the others.

“Oh so now you know what I’m thinking.” Roman snapped.

Liam looked up at him and over at his mum and burst into tears.

“Now look what you’ve done.” Roman snapped.

“I’m not the one shouting.” Ella murmured. “Come her Liam.”

Roman lowered his son and watched as he ran over to his mother and held his arms up. Ella bent down to her sin and hugged him.

“Hush up babes.” Ella said softly to him. “We’re nearly there.” she cooed.

“Where are we going?” Sophie asked.

“You’ll see. It’s just a bit further on.” Ella said quietly.

She took hold of Liam’s hand and then Lily’s before she started walking again.

Roman watched her go seeing that she hadn’t even looked to see if he were following. He waited another moment before he started walking.

“Are we there yet?” Meggy groaned.

“Nearly.” Ella said with a smile.

“Are we there yet?” Sammy asked a couple of minutes later.

“Yes.” Ella said pointing to the market.

“Woah.” Sophie murmured looking around.

“I want you in groups please.” Ella said softly.

Georgie looked at Sammy and Marcus and grinned.

“Us?” he said pointing at them.

Sammy nodded.

“Great.” Ella said. “You get Liam.”

She bent down and looked at Liam.

“Go with Georgie.” She told him letting go of his hand and smiling as he wandered over to his brother.

Georgie glared at her.

“I have to watch all three?” he asked.

Ella nodded.

Georgie gave her a look biting his tongue before he started walking into the market with his brothers.

“We get Lily?” Meggy murmured. “Is that fair there are only two of us and you separated her from Liam?”

Ella smiled.

“Go.” She said handing over Lily’s hand to Meggy.

“Come on giggles.” Meggy murmured to her sister. “Lets go find something nice to buy.”

Sophie looked at her mother before going over to Meggy and taking hold of Lily’s other hand.

“I no giggles.” Lily murmured.

“Bet you do if I ickles you.” Meggy said softly.

Lily giggled.

“No.” she cried tugging on her hand.

Meggy looked at Sophie and nodded. Sophie nodded back and they lifted up their hands picking Lily up off the floor.

Lily squealed happily.

“Agains.” She cried out as they lowered her back to the floor.

“In a minute.” Meggy told her before they began walking into the market.

Roman moved to stand next to Ella.

“You going for a look around?” he asked quietly.

Ella nodded.

“Want to let them get a head start first.” She replied.

He smiled and put his arm around her.

“I’m sorry.” He murmured. “I was joking.”

“It didn’t sound like a joke. It sounded like a complaint.” Ella told him leaning into his arm feeling the warmth from his body seeping into her.

“Ella…” Roman protested.

Ella leaned up and kissed him.

“Admit it you miss those days.” She murmured.

“Yes.” He said slowly looking at her as though surprised by his own answer.

“You need to recognise that then, those comments won’t sound so harsh when you say them.” she murmured kissing him again.

“So you weren’t mad at me?” he muttered looking at her with narrowed eyes.

Ella gave him a smile without answering and began walking into the market.

Roman reached out and caught hold of her hand pulling her back until she stopped and looked at him.

“Ella.” He said softly.

“No I wasn’t mad at you.” She admitted. “But if I didn’t prod you a little you wouldn’t have admitted your feelings.”

“God.” He groaned and glared at her. “When are you going to stop messing with my head.”

“Hello.” Ella muttered flashing her wedding ring at him. “Like never,”

Roman looked at her before he laughed. He bent down and kissed her again.

“You are in for a spanking Ella Harris.” He told her.

“Oh yeah?” she said before easing out of his grasp and disappearing into the market.

Roman looked upwards and muttered a choice word under his breath before he followed the way she had gone.

He caught up with her by a stall that was selling baby clothes and he smiled when she picked up two dresses.

“Hey.” He said softly.

“These are so cute.” She murmured.

He leaned over and kissed her cheek.

“I like the yellow ones too.” He said fingering the soft lace on another dress.

Ella smiled and selected both the pink ones she was looking at and also the yellow ones. She added small cardigans before seeing a layette set that included booties, matinee jacket and a bonnet.

“For Daniella?” he asked when he saw what had captured her attention.

Ella nodded.

“Shall we get something for Kai too?” he murmured grinning when her eyes lit up.

“Is it ok if I spoil them a little?” she asked him.

Roman nodded.

“Especially when I see you looking so happy.” He leaned down and whispered in her ear.

Ella blushed and pushed at him before she glanced at the boy clothes. She selected a couple of pieces before gathering them al together and handing them to the stallholder smiling as she wrapped them up in tissue paper before placing them in a bag. She named a price and Roman handed over the money before Ella got her purse out. He collected the bag and they walked over to the next stall.

“Thank you.” She murmured.

“You’re welcome.” He grinned. “You know I like spoiling you.”

Ella grinned at him taking hold of his hand.

“Mum.” Sophie cried running over to her.

“Where are…” Ella began.

“Lily and Meggy are just there.” Sophie said excitedly pointing. “Can we have some money?”

“Didn’t you bring any?” Roman grunted.

Ella chuckled and reached for her purse handing over thirty dollars.

“El.” Roman protested.

“Each.” Ella told Sophie. “And make sure you keep hold of it and check your change.”

Sophie nodded before running over to Meggy. She showed Meggy the money before tucking it in her pocket. Grinning she said something to Meggy before running back over to her parents.

“Please and thank you.” Sophie said. “Sorry.” She added before disappearing back to Meggy’s side.

Roman looked at Ella and laughed.

“The boys will be next.” He murmured.

Ella shook her head.

“Georgie takes after his dad. He’ll have brought some money with him.” she told her husband.

Roman smiled proudly before leading Ella to the next stall. He picked up a scented candle and gave it a cautious sniff, smiling when he found he liked the scent.

Ella looked at him and chuckled before she leaned up and whispered in his ear.

“We have those kind in our bedroom.”

Roman felt his cheeks grow hot.

“So that is why they smell familiar.” He murmured.

He reached out and picked up two of the tall candles before selecting some tea lights before paying for them. The stall holder handed over his change and the bag containing the candles.

He held Ella’s hand and moved over to where the girls were looking at jewellery on another stall.

“Is this where the girls got your ring that time?” Roman murmured.

“Probably.” Ella smiled up at him. “That was a long time ago.”

Roman nodded.

“I remember a lot you know.” He pointed out.

She laughed.

“Mama pretty’s.” Lily told her.

“They are.” Ella agreed kneeling down next to her.

“Me’s like.” Lily said pointing to a diamond necklace.

Ella chuckled and cast a shy glance at Roman before she picked it up and put it round Lily’s neck.

Lily grinned and kissed her.

“Ta.” She said stroking the necklace.

“You like Lily girls?” Ella asked.

Lily nodded.

“We’ve just spent five minutes trying to stop her picking it up.” Meggy said rolling her eyes.

Ella chuckled.

“Ella Harris.” Roman muttered.

She grinned up at him.

“She likes it.” Ella murmured.

Lily picked up the necklace and looked up at her dad before nodding and fluttering her eyelashes at him.

“Lily Alyssa Harris that isn’t going to work.” Roman told her.

Meggy giggled.

“What are you laughing at?” Roman asked.

“It’s too late Mum’s already paid for it.” Meggy told him.

Ella grinned when Roman shot her a look as she put her purse away.

“She looks adorable.” Ella said softly.

“Well that better be paste.” He said folding his arms.

“Me’s pretty Dada.” Lily said with a smile.

“Yeah.” Roman agreed. “And Me’s broke.”

Ella looked at him before kissing Lily and standing up.

“Never mind dear.” She said to him. “You can work a few extra shifts in the diner.”

“Huh.” Roman muttered walking away.

Sophie looked at her mother before looking at Meggy and the two girls giggled.

“Seen anything you like?” Ella asked them.

“We love these beads.” Sophie said. “Meggy liked this.”

She picked up a leather cuff that went around the wrist with a red and green pattern on it.

“Ok.” Ella said looking at a silver necklace. She ran her finger over the loose links and glanced at the price. “We’ll have these too.” Ella said putting the necklace forward with the cuff bracelet. “Sophie want to choose beads.”

Sophie nodded and picked up the beads she wanted adding those to the pile.

Ella reached for her purse again and took out some money. She paid for the items and collected the bag with them in tucking it inside her handbag.

“Thank you mummy.” Meggy said softly.

“You’re welcome.” Ella grinned. “Now I better go find the incredible sulk.”

Meggy giggled.

“Daddy isn’t that bad.” She murmured.

Ella looked at her.

“Ok, so he’s a little bad.” Meggy said in compromise. “But he doesn’t turn all green.”

Ella grinned at her daughter and eased away.

“Mama?” Lily called.

“Stay with Meggy and Sophie.” Ella said to her. “Mama’s going to find Dada.”

Lily nodded solemnly touching her necklace once more.

Ella eased away glancing back and seeing Meggy take hold of Lily’s hand once more. Sophie moving the other side of her as they went to the next stall.

“You bought more stuff didn’t you.” Roman said from behind her.

“Maybe.” Ella said quietly. “As did you.” She pointed out looking at the third bag he was holding.

“Maybe.” He agreed grinning at her.

Ella smiled back at him and put her arm around his waist.

“Let’s find the boys.” She said softly.

“Let’s not.” He told her quickly.

“Ouh are they secret shopping?” Ella guessed.

Roman nodded.

“I might have just seen them. Where are we going next?” he asked.

“You mean after here? I thought of going to the shopping mall. I think Sophie could do with a visit to a pharmacy.”

Roman nodded quickly.

“She’s not worried about things is she?” he asked after a moment.

Ella smiled and leaned up to kiss him before she spoke.

“Only about how her Daddy is taking her growing up.” She told him softly.

“I’m fine with it.” Roman murmured. “She’s got a good head on her shoulders so I know I don’t have to worry about boys.”

“So what are you worrying about?” Ella asked after a moment.

“That she might have the same problems as you.” He finally admitted. “I don’t want her to have to go through what you did.”

Ella nodded.

“I know.” She said with a sigh.

“I don’t want you to go back on the pill.” He muttered. “But at the same time I’m paranoid about getting you pregnant again.”

Ella sighed.

“I still need to speak to Aden about my results.”

“I know.” Roman said. “Been waiting for you to mention them.”

“Scared of me?” she asked him giving him a look.

“Between you and Sophie I’m petrified. And at the same time?” he mock shuddered.

“It’ll be worse when Meggy starts because you know that women go in sync don’t you? Me and Nicole were when she lived with us.”

“I’m so not having this conversation.” He murmured.

Ella giggled and kissed him again before she walked on to the next stall. She picked up some of the material that the stall was selling and looked at the patterns. Choosing quickly she selected cottons with blue or lilac patterns on and paid for them.

“What are you thinking?” he asked her.

“Danni wants a quilt.”

“Ella.” He muttered rolling his eyes.

“It only took me a couple of days to do the babies quilts.” She told him.

“I’m still growling.” He muttered.

“Well can you pick up the bag while you do it?” she asked sweetly.

“Only if you disappear for a day and go do some photography.” He bargained. “Especially as you were all smiley this morning.”

Ella put her hands on her hips.

“Are you blackmailing me?” she asked him.

He nodded.

“Fine.” She said. “But don’t expect any cuddles tonight.”

He grinned and reached for the bag hefting it in his free hand.

“I know why you’ve done this.” He grumbled as they walked along the market. “Now I can’t stop you from buying stuff.”

Ella laughed.

“Have I told you I love you today?” she asked.

“Oh god what do you want to buy now?” he murmured.

Chapter 115

Ella chased Lily across the grass hearing her daughter laughing. She caught Roman looking at her and she grinned at him.

“Is that my mother laughing?” Mike asked walking over to where Roman was sitting with Liam.

“It is.” Roman said before letting Liam stand up and run over to them.

Danni eased down and sat on the blanket drinking from a bottle of water a pair of dark sunglasses over her eyes.

“Hello Danni.” Roman said softly looking at her pale features.

“Hi.” Danni said in a hoarse voice.

“You know we are going out later don’t you?” he asked her.

Danni paled even more.

“I think I might give it a miss.” She said quickly.

“Good luck with telling Ella.” Roman grinned at her.

Danni shook her head and took a long drink from her water.

“It’s alright for you two you never suffer hangovers.”

“Yeah we do.” Mike said sitting down next to her.

Danni shook her head at him and groaned when he smiled at her again.

Roman grinned and pointed at Ella sitting making daisy chains with Liam and Lily.

“She’s beautiful.” Mike said a note of awe in his voice.

Roman chuckled.

“She is.” He said taking out his phone and snapping some pictures of her. He put it away before standing up and jogging over to where Ella was sitting.

“Hey you.” Ella said softly.

Roman sank down beside her and kissed her before lifting Lily on to his lap.

“Dada pretty’s.” Lily told him touching the daisy chain necklace she was wearing.

“Yes you are pretty.” He told her.

Liam picked a flower and held it out to him.

“Dada make.” Liam told him.

“Sorry Dada can’t.”

“Me’s show you.” Liam said to him picking another flower and throwing that at the first.

“I think he takes after me.” Roman said with a laugh.

Ella leaned over and kissed him before she kissed the top of Liam’s head.

“Shall we go play on the swings?” she asked them.

Liam nodded and sprang up.

“Are you coming Lily girl?” Roman asked her.

Lily eased up daintily and began running over to the swings. Ella accepted Roman’s help and stood up next to him.

“She’s a princess.” He commented looking at his daughter.

Ella grinned.

“And Liam is a prince.” She said softly before feeling Roman put his arms around her waist. “Oh.” She murmured.

He chuckled before kissing her.

“Dada!” Lily called out stopping and looking at them. She put her hands on her hips and glared at him.

“I kinda think Sophie has been babysitting too much.” Roman murmured casting a glance at his baby girl.

“Is Lily doing the hip thing?” Ella asked, her back to her daughter. “Because you know that Sophie got it from Nic.”

“Uh huh.” Roman said.

“Seems like it’s the girl version of you folding your arms.” She murmured and laughed at his outraged expression.

“You are on very dangerous ground.” He murmured after a moment.

Ella grinned before turning around and running over to where Lily was standing.

“Dada coming?” Lily asked softly.

Ella looked over at Roman and smiled.

“Why don’t you go fetch him?” Ella told her daughter.

Lily looked up at her before she shook her head.

“Liam get Dada.” She ordered.

Liam chuckled and ran over to Roman taking hold of his hand and tugging.

“Lily Alyssa Harris.” Ella murmured bending down and picking up her daughter. “Liam is not your slave.”

Lily giggled unrepentantly.

“What is going on?” Roman asked coming over to her.

“Lily just ordered Liam to fetch you.” Ella murmured.

“That is naughty Lily.” Roman murmured.

Lily smiled innocently at him.

“Yeah.” Roman muttered. “Liam go find Sammy.” he instructed his son pointing to the play area.

Liam grinned and ran off.

“Dada.” Lily murmured.

“You can go to.” Roman said.

Ella raised her eyebrow and let Lily go down to her feet and watched her run the way that Liam had gone.

Roman began to say something when he pulled his phone out of his pocket.

“What is it?” Ella asked looking at him.

“Can I say nothing and get away with it?” Roman asked softly.

“No.” Ella snapped out. “Tell me.”

Roman groaned and handed over his phone.

Ella looked at his face before she looked at the phone.

“That’s here.” Ella said looking at the picture of the children. “He’s here.” She added dropping the phone and turning to run over to the children. She gathered up Lily and Liam before calling the rest of them over to her.

“What is it Mum?” Sophie asked her voice rising in panic.

“Gather up your stuff. There is a storm warning. We should go home.” Ella said feeling herself go cold all over.

“Ok Mummy.” Sophie murmured. “Come on Georgie get the soccer ball. Meggy the racquets.”

“We were just going to get out other ball it went over the fence.” Sammy pointed out.

“Stay here.” Ella said. “Stay together.” She added.

Forcing herself to walk she moved over past the small wooden fence that marked the boundary of the playing area where the swings and the slide were and glanced at the ground for the tennis ball. She found her heart racing as she looked around feeling eyes on her.

“Ella.” Roman called.

“I can’t find their ball.” She said quickly.

“It’s there.” Roman pointed.

He began to move over to it when he stopped and stood still.

“Roman.” Ella said beginning to move to his side.

“Stay there.” Roman called over quickly not moving.

“Roman.” Ella said again.

“Stop still and look at the ground.”

Ella gasped.

“What is it?” she asked hysterically.

“You know what it is.” Roman said his voice calm.

“No.” she gasped. “No.”

“El.” Roman murmured. “I need you to go and get Mike. But first you need to check where your feet are going. I can’t help.”

“I can’t move.” She cried out her voice shaking.

“Yes you can. Just take a breath.”

“Roman he knew the children were here.” She cried out hysterically.

“Did you find the ball?” Sammy asked coming round the fence and beginning to walk to them.

“Sammy no stop.” Ella screamed out. “Don’t come here.”

Sammy stopped still his face pale.

“What is going on?” he asked.

“Sammy it’s ok. Mummy’s seen a spider.” Roman told him. “Go get Mike.”

Sammy nodded and spun around. They heard him speak to the others before he led them all away and over to the blanket where Mike and Danni were sitting.

“A spider doesn’t go boom and kill people Roman Harris.”

“I’m not so sure about that. Did you see the size of the one that was in the bathroom last night.” Roman said.

“God this is macho Bull****.” Ella screamed out.

“Ella I need you to calm down. I don’t need to worry about you right now I’m kind of busy trying not to let this landmine I’m standing on go off.” Roman said in a tone of voice she had never heard from him before.

Ella looked at him.

“So what do I do?” she asked quietly.

“Look at the ground. Can you see if any of the ground in front of you has been disturbed.”

Ella peered down.

“It’s clear.” She said quietly.

“Ok if you are sure take a step. But keep looking. I need you to go back and stand with the kids.” He told her.

“I’m not going.” Ella said. “I’m not leaving you.”

“Ella. I do not want the children to risk losing two parents today. Get out of here.”

“But you’ll risk my son.” She snapped out.

“Ella he’s a solider. Trained.” Roman said patiently.

“Yes I am what is it?” Mike asked standing at the fence.

“I’m on a landmine.” Roman announced. “Present from our friend William.”

Mike nodded.

“Got a penknife?” he asked Roman.

Roman reached into his pocket and pulled out his knife. He half turned careful to keep his bodyweight even and threw the knife at Mike giving the other man a half grin when he saw him catch it one handed.

“Get Ella out first.” Roman ordered the other man.

Mike nodded and began to check the ground moving slowly over to where Ella was standing. He marked the path clear and looked over at his mother.

“Ok get out of here.” He told her standing next to her.

“No.” she said defiantly.

“Mike.” Roman murmured.

“Ok but you are going to have to deal with the consequences.” Mike said to him.

“Do it.”

Ella looked from on to the other, her attention focused on Roman so she didn’t’ see Mike’s fist heading to her jaw. She collapsed unconscious into Mike’s waiting arms.

“Actually I meant lift her out.” Roman murmured.

“Now is not the time for humour old man.” Mike murmured back a grin on his face.

“Get her clear.” Roman said with a nod.

“On my way but when she wakes up and tries to kill me I’m blaming you.” Mike hefted her unconscious weight over his shoulder and eased slowly out the way he came. Laying her body on a bench. He checked she was breathing ok before moving back to where Roman was.

“Ok it’s clear.” Mike said before kneeling down at Roman’s feet. “The good news is that I don’t think there is a secondary trigger.”

“No the good news is that if this goes off and kills us both Ella might forgive us.”

“Er Dad like that is going to happen any time soon.” Mike murmured as he cleared the earth and stones from around the mine. He breathed out slowly.

“What is it?” Roman asked feeling cramp beginning in his leg as he forced himself not to move.

“Been a while since I did this.” Mike said uncertainty in his tone.

“Wouldn’t want anyone else right now.” Roman said calmly. “Can you see what type of mine it is?”

“A big one.” Mike said under his breath.

“That’s a help.” Roman muttered.

“Don’t get tempted to move your foot to teach me a lesson here.” Mike said. “The switch is fully depressed. I’m going to slide your knife between the mine and your foot.”

“Mike.” Roman murmured. “As soon as I move my foot the weight is going to shift.”

“I know. “ Mike muttered. “But you can’t stay here all day. I can feel your leg starting to shake.”

“I’ll manage. “ Roman said. “What about disarming it?”

“I can’t get close enough to do it.” Mike said his voice strained.

“Ok.” Roman murmured. “Then get out of here. Go ring Jacko.”

“I’m not leaving you.” Mike protested.

“Mike.” Roman began.

“No. You wouldn’t leave my Dad I’m not leaving you.” Mike said rubbing at his eyes.

“Mike.” Roman said his tone softer. “Get out of here and get help.”

Mike eased back and looked at Roman.

“I can’t disarm it.” he said. “I can only press down on the trigger to keep it from exploding when you move.”

“Is there a point to this?” Roman asked slowly.

“Well when I do that you find something to take your place.” Mike said.

“No dumb move.” Roman muttered.

“Would this do it?” Ella asked from behind them.

Mike turned and saw Ella holding a large rock.

He nodded and looked up at his Dad.

“Ok this is how it is going to be. I’m going to slide the knife blade flat over the trigger and keep it pressed down. You move off slowly. Mum you need to be up here near me. I’ll need you to place the rock down.”

“Mike no.” Roman said instantly.

“Got any other suggestions? We can leave you to have a think about it if you like?” Mike asked him.

Ella took a deep breath and moved over to where Mike was.

“Is this clear?” she asked.

Mike nodded.

“If you slide the knife in I’ll hold it.” Ella said. “You’ve got more upper body strength to manoeuvre the rock.”

“Ella no.” Roman cried out.

Ella ignored him meeting Mike’s gaze. He nodded.

“Ok.” he said softly and slide the knife between Roman’s foot and the trigger. He used his free hand to guide Ella’s hand to the blade. “Feel how much pressure you need.”

Ella nodded.

“Mum I know this is difficult.” Mike said softly.

“I’ve got it.” Ella snapped out.

Mike met her gaze and saw her nod. He released the knife and saw her holding it.

“Roman.” Mike murmured.

Roman took a breath and lifted his foot. He stepped back swallowing nervously at seeing his wife and son in danger.

Mike nodded and hefted the rock up. He gave an audible groan as he moved it and placed it on top of the mine. He breathed out slowly and nodded at his mother.

“Let go.” He told her.

She groaned and stood up shaking from head to toe. Mike eased back and stood. He looked at the other two.

“Let’s get out of here.” He told them.

He had to push Ella away as she descended into shock knowing that Roman was following behind them. They got to the playground area before Ella collapsed once more and Mike picked her up carrying her over to the bench. He looked over at Roman and saw the other man pale as he looked at his wife..

“She’s remembering isn’t she?” Mike spoke softly. “About the day that my Dad died.”

Roman nodded before he took his phone out of his pocket and called Jacko. He spoke to the other man briefly before sinking to the ground and sitting next to Ella.

“I couldn’t do it again.” Roman said. “I couldn’t let her loose someone else that way.”

“It’s ok.” Mike said. “I’ll leave you a few minutes.”

Mike ran over to where the kids were waiting and spoke to them making up a story about a spider. He caught Danni looking at him and he moved over to her and hugged her.

Chapter 116

Roman closed the door quietly and moved into the lounge area of the apartment. He looked over at Mike and sank down on to a seat.

“We heard her crying.” Jacko said softly.

Roman nodded.

“Guess you heard a lot.” Roman murmured his hand sliding into his pocket and touching her wedding ring. She’d thrown it at him just after she’d punched him.

Mike nodded and pushed an empty glass towards him before doing the same with the bottle of whisky. Roman gave him a rueful grin before pouring out a generous measure in the glass. He sipped it slowly feeling the heat of the alcohol warm him.

Pete walked up into the apartment from the downstairs studio putting his phone back into his pocket.

“The police have cordoned off the area and bomb disposal are checking for other devices.” He announced.

Roman nodded.

“They won’t find any.” Roman predicted.

“Roman.” Danni called from the nursery. “The babies won’t settle.”

Roman nodded and stood up moving over to her. He gave her a smile before easing into the nursery and looking over at Lily.

“Hey Lily squeals. It’s bedtime.”

“Want mama.” Lily said stubbornly.

“Mama sleeps.” Roman said quietly. “You really want to be the one who wakes Mama up?” He asked and heard Danni snigger behind him.

Lily shook her head.

“Lay down.” Roman instructed and moved over to the bed. He pulled the covers up over Lily and rubbed her back gently.

“Dada.” Lily mumbled.

“We’ll be going home tomorrow and then you can see the cats.” He promised as he slipped her toy cat in the bed with her. He placed a kiss to the top of her head and picked up the baby monitor before easing out of the room and closing the door.

Sighing he looked over at the sofa and his glass of whisky. As much as he wanted to bury himself in a bottle right then he knew he had to keep himself together.

“Right we need to talk about what happened and form some kind of plan for dealing with William but first and foremost I need to make sure my family are ok. Sophie and Georgie are old enough to be told about this and will help keep an eye on the others.”

“Are you sure Dad?” Mike asked.

Roman nodded.

“Like they don’t know that stuff has happened today.” Roman said raising his eyebrow as he spoke. “Then we should plan the evening. Get some food worked out and organise a movie.”

“We can do that.” Danni volunteered.

Mike smiled at her and stood up.

“Roman.” Jacko began.

“I know it’s stepping up the aggression. He’s stalking us. Knows us. He knew what reaction that would provoke with Ella.” Roman murmured. “He wants us apart so he can get what he wants from Ella.”

“You getting in his head Hardcore?” Pete asked glancing at Jacko.

“I had a lot of time to think about this. The whole twenty minutes I was standing on top of a landmine this afternoon.” Roman muttered. “But you can tell me how he got my number.”

Jacko shook his head.

“Maybe it’s posted on one of those websites. You know Stalkers’R’us.” He said and heard Mike laugh from the other side of the room.

“Thanks for that Jacko.” Roman muttered.

“Bet you wish you’d left him in a cave somewhere.” Mike called out.

“Yeah you could have taught him to play chess.” Roman shot back with a grin.

“Hardly!” Mike muttered. “How long exactly were you planning to leave us there?”

“Hey!” Jacko grumbled.

Mike laughed.

“Seriously.” Roman murmured.

“Take it you didn’t have blue tooth on?” Pete asked.

Roman shook his head.

“Is it the same number you’ve always had?”

Mike grinned.

“And the same phone.” He murmured.

“Like I need an Iphone.” Roman said looking over at his son. “I don’t surf the net. Or belong to Facebook.”

“Good grief you actually sound like you know what facebook is.”

“ha ha.” Roman said giving him a glare. “You’ll be able to update your status in a minute to slapped round the head by my irate stepfather.”

Jacko laughed as Mike flushed.

“So back to the issue.” Pete murmured. “Would your number have been in the original police report?”

“Ring Charlie and ask her.” Roman said noting the sudden flush of colour in the other mans face as he mentioned Charlie’s name.

Pete nodded.

“Better tell her about today and that she might get a call from what’s his name.” Jacko muttered.

“Detective Sullivan.” Jacko supplied.

“Yeah.” Pete said giving Jacko a look.

“What?” Roman asked catching the look that passed between the two men.

“We got the impression that he didn’t believe us.” Jacko said giving Pete another look.

“Oh because he checked up on me I suppose.” Roman said bitterly. He stood up form the sofa and walked over to the bedroom door pausing before he opened it and went inside.

“We never should have let Gardy talk us into that cover up.” Jacko muttered angrily. He stood too and walked over to Pete before the two men went downstairs into the studio.

Danni looked at Mike.

“Let’s speak to Sophie and Georgie.” She suggested.

Mike nodded and took hold of her hand.

“Hey.” She called out softly.

“Sorry reaction I suppose. He was willing to sacrifice his life for us.” Mike murmured.

She nodded before opening the children’s bedroom door.

“Danni.” Sophie called out first.

“Hey kiddo.” Mike murmured. “We’re having a change of plans for tonight. Jacko and Pete have come over so we’re having dinner in.”

“Pizza.” Sammy said grinning.

“Something like that squirt.” Mike grinned at him. “Can we borrow you a minute Sophie.”

“You better come too Georgie.” Danni said copying Mike’s tone.

The twins looked at each other and nodded walking out with Danni and Mike following them over to the table and sitting down. Mike looked at Danni before he started speaking telling them just what had happened this afternoon.

“So you want to keep this from Sammy?” Georgie said.

“And Marcus.” Danni added. “Not forever maybe but today.”

“Sammy was going to go get the ball.” Sophie said wiping tears away.

“Come on Sophie.” Georgie murmured. “Or they’ll guess.”

“I know I just can’t stop thinking about it.” she murmured.

Danni looked at Mike and saw him give her half nod.

“So anyway we’ll be sorting out dinner in a bit.” Mike said.

“Ok.” Georgie murmured.

“Do you want to take some drinks in with you?” Danni asked. “I think there are still some snacks from the other night.”

“You mean those that Mum was throwing at Dad.” Sophie grinned.

“Yup.” Danni agreed the two of them standing up and moving to the kitchen. Georgie following them. They took beakers out of the cupboard and poured out juice. Mike got out a tray and placed the cups on before added a pot of dip on to it. Sophie carried the crisps and Pringles and they moved back into the bedroom.

“So that’s what they wanted you for.” Meggy asked.

“Slave labour.” Georgie muttered moving inside.

Sophie closed the door behind her.

“Guess that was why Mum was so upset.” Danni said looking at Mike.

Mike said nothing pulling Danni into his arms and holding her for a long time.

Roman looked over at Ella in the bed and sighed.

Ella moved over and lifted the covers in invitation sighing as he kicked his shoes off and climbed in next to her.

“So.” He murmured.

“Pretty much everything.” She said.

“Wait until I’ve asked the question.” He said with a groan.

“Why should when I know what you are going to say.” She told him.

Roman moved suddenly in the bed and kissed her. He pinned her back against the pillows and feasted on her lips feeling her kissing him back.

“He was after the kids.” Ella murmured when he released her.

“I know. But not because he wanted them out of the way.”

“He wanted to provoke us. Hurt us.” Ella added.

Roman nodded his eyes boring into hers.

“I couldn’t have…” he began stopping and looking at her.

“Have survived if anything happened to Sammy. Too right.” Ella muttered pushing at his chest.

“And back to being mad at me.” He muttered rolling over on his back and covering his face with his arm.

Ella looked at his profile and sighed. She reached out and tugged his arm down before moving closer to him. She leant her head on his shoulder and sighed.

“I saw you crawl into the minefield to get my brother and I never want to go through that again. That could have been Sammy or it could have been Mike.” Ella said to him and her voice lowered to a whisper. “Or it could have been you.”

Roman turned his head and looked at her.

“El.”

“I hate you.” She muttered rubbing her eyes.

“El.” He said again.

She turned and looked into his eyes her own brimming with tears.

“It could have been you. How am I ever going to get over losing you Roman Harris?” she gasped tears pouring from her eyes. “How could you make me live in a world where I won’t see you? Where I won’t be able to have your arms around me again? Did you think about that when you were doing your noble self-sacrificing bit? Fleur and August will never know you, how could you do that to them?”

Roman reached out and pulled her close.

“I could do that knowing that they had you. I could do that knowing that you were safe.” He told her. “I could do that because my heart will always be yours. You are the best thing in my life and as long as the children have you I know they will be loved and safe and happy.”

Ella shook her head sighing as Roman kissed the tears from her cheeks.

“Come on.” He told her his tone gentle.

Ella looked at him and sighed before wiping her face. She eased off the bed grinning as Roman stood up and moved over to her tugging her into his arms.

“I still hate you.” She told him.

He reached into his pocket and picked out her wedding ring. He pulled her hand towards him and put her ring back on.

“Hey.” She muttered glaring at him.

“Well I figured that you’d want to throw it at me again.” He told her.

Ella narrowed her eyes and looked at him.

“You better be ordering pizza.” She told him.

“Maybe.” He said. “Why you want Chinese for diner?”

Ella glared at him and stormed out of the bedroom.

Chapter 117

Ella rolled over in the bed and sighed. Roman’s side of the bed wasn’t even warm indicating that he’d got out of bed ages ago. She eased up slowly and pushed the heavy covers to one side before swinging her legs out of bed. Grabbing a bathrobe she pulled it on before padding barefoot into the lounge. She saw Jacko and Pete sitting at the table with Mike and Danni. Roman was in the kitchen cooking. Ella looked at the time and raised an eyebrow before walking over to him.

“Hey.” She said softly.

“Hey.” He replied mirroring her.

“Think you could stop for a minute and make eye contact with me?” Ella asked him hearing Mike give a little gasp at her question. He made a half move out of his chair only to stop when Jacko put a hand on his arm. The two men looked at each other.

“What do you want Ella.” Roman muttered.

She stepped forward and placed her hands on his forearms before guiding the pan he was holding to one side away from the cooker. She took the spatula out of his other hand before she placed a hand on his face and forced him to look at her.

“It was not your fault. You did what they told you to.” She murmured. “I need you to look at me.”

“Ella.” He gasped out.

“Come on.”

She took him by the hand and led him over to the bathroom closing the door behind them.

“Jacko.” Mike murmured.

“You think he can do the stuff he does and just forget it kid?” Jacko muttered to him standing up and moving to the sink.

“Talk to me.” Mike said quickly. “I’ve been there…..” he began.

Jacko shook his head.

“No you ain’t.” he muttered glancing at Pete seeing the other man nod.

“Roman was a sniper Mike.” Pete said slowly.

“When he was promoted and given a platoon he was a cocky SOB. We thought god hated us. He made us do the impossible.” Jacko said washing his hands. He dried them on a cloth and moved back over to the cooker finishing the eggs that Roman had been about to cook.

“We got out of scrapes that I never thought possible. Some idiot christened us the A Team and we lived up to the reputation.”

“Yeah if you had a problem and no one could fix it send in us.” Jacko said from the kitchen.

“More often than not Roman was sent out alone. God knows what he went through with no back up, no support. Best thing that happened to him was Missy in there. With her waiting for him back at base made him more cautious.”

“Are you saying he had some kind of death wish?” Danni asked giving Mike a look.

“no girlie.” Jacko said quickly. “But if it happened it happened. After he met Ella he stopped taking so many chances.”

Pete nodded.

“So anyway it got so as soon as he got back from any mission he would rather go and see Ella than have a cold beer or a hot shower.” Jacko said finishing the eggs and serving them up. He added the cooked bacon that Roman had put under the grill to keep warm before handing out the plates.

Mike stood and fetched cutlery handing it out before he sat down again looking at his plate for a moment before he looked at Danni. She gave him a small smile before she started eating.

“and before your dirty mind sinks there it was before they were sleeping together.”

“Well they were sleeping together but really only sleeping together.” Pete contradicted Jacko.

“Er guys that is still my mother.” Mike muttered flushing dark red with embarrassment.

Danni chuckled at him before she leaned over and kissed his cheek.

“So anyway you get the idea. It was healing for him to be with her.” Jacko finished.

“And this morning.” Mike asked.

“Guess he had a bad night.” Pete said looking at Jacko.

“Might explain why I saw him coming in when I got up to use the bathroom at 4am.” Danni murmured looking at Mike.

“He went out for a run.” Jacko said quietly.

Pete nodded.

“A run or a marathon.” He asked Jacko.

They stopped talking and looked up when Ella came out of the bathroom. She pulled the door closed behind her and walked over to the kitchen pouring out a cup of coffee. Mike flinched when he saw her add a slug of whisky to the cup before she moved back inside the bathroom.

“I didn’t know that was for breakfast otherwise I would have given these eggs a miss.” Pete told Jacko.

“You saying I can’t cook.” Jacko shot back.

Ella handed the cup to Roman and smiled when he gave her a look.

“New coffee recipe?” he asked quietly.

She nodded and put the sponge in the water before added soap and began washing his back.

“Warmed up yet?” she asked.

“El.”

“Don’t talk.” She murmured leaning over and kissing his cheek. “I don’t need to know anything.”

“He sent more texts last night.” Roman said eventually. “He’s got hold of my army file.”

“Ah.” Ella said softly.

She dropped the sponge into the bath and began massaging his shoulders.

“Thank you.” He said softly after a moment.

“Did you go for a run?” she asked him.

“This morning.” He confirmed with a nod.

“Doesn’t feel like you got rid of any tension.” She murmured. She leaned down and kissed the spot behind his ear before taking his earlobe inbetween her lips and tugging on it gently.

He gave a husky laugh.

“Relieving my tension?” he asked. “Because I don’t think it’s worked.”

Ella moved to the side of the bath and put her hand in the water and began stroking him.

“I can see what you mean.” She whispered huskily. “Would you like your tension relieved?”

Roman looked at her and grinned.

“What man would say no to that question.” He muttered.

Ella giggled and began to stroke him faster smiling as he leaned back in the bath and relaxed.

“now I should have had you do this instead of punishing myself with a ten k run.” He murmured with a little contented moan.

Ella moved on to her knees and leaned over the side of the bath kissing him softly.

He reached out and put his arms around her.

“Don’t you dare.” She muttered pulling away. “I’ll stop…” she threatened.

“Don’t I dare what?” he asked against her lips kissing her some more.

“Pull me into the bath.” She told him.

“That sounds like an instruction.” He said tugging on her arms.

Ella squealed and pulled back releasing her grip on him.

“Hey.” He protested.

“You want me to finish what I was doing?” she asked looking into his eyes.

Roman nodded.

Ella smiled at him and ran her hand teasingly down his chest before she encircled him once more.

“Better be quiet.” She murmured.

“Not me that is the noisy one.” He pointed out and saw her blush. “Kiss me.”

Ella leaned forward and kissed him taking his moans into her mouth as she pleasured him. She heard him give a slow moan before he climaxed and chuckled.

“That was interesting.” She said.

“Uh huh.” Roman muttered standing up and climbing out of the bath. He padded naked over to the shower and turned it on before stepping into it. Ella pulled the plug on the bath before getting a towel ready for him. He sighed and stepped out of the shower wrapping the towel around himself before reaching back in and switching the shower off.

“Think you can go grab some sleep now?” she asked him.

“El.” He murmured.

She stepped up to him.

“You are exhausted and your head is spinning. I need you to be rested and ready for when he comes after us again.”

“Just appeal to the solider in me, huh?” he asked her.

“Is it working?” she asked.

Roman nodded.

“I’m tired.” He admitted.

“Then please go and lay down.” she said softly.

He nodded and looked around the bathroom.

“I’ll sort it out ok.” she said giving him a little push.

Roman walked out of the bathroom and turned walking into the bedroom. He saw the bed looking so inviting and he dropped the towel and climbed under the covers. Ella grinned as she watched him snuggle down. She tucked the covers around him just like he was one of the kids before collecting the wet towel and taking that through to the bathroom. She tided up quickly and took his empty cup through to the kitchen.

“Hey.” Mike murmured looking up from his own cup. He was still sitting at the table with Danni, Jacko and Pete.

“Hey yourself. Roman’s gone to bed to get some sleep.” She told them glancing at the clock on the wall above the cooker. “Take it the kids are still asleep.”

Mike nodded.

“Mum.” Mike began, stopping when he caught Jacko and Pete looking at him.

Ella poured out a coffee and moved over to the table.

“What?” she asked him softly.

“Dad is hurting isn’t he?” Mike said feeling Danni take hold of his hand.

Ella nodded.

“That’s why you wouldn’t let him kill Gardy isn’t it?” Mike asked ignoring Danni’s hastily indrawn breath. “Or Elliot. It’s why you didn’t want me involved in the Elliot stuff.”

Ella met his gaze and nodded.

“You think he can go on being the man he is if he’d killed Gardy in cold blood. It’s bad enough that he had to do it in self-defence. And Elliot. I knew Elliot wasn’t going to go away until he really had broken us or forced Roman to kill him. So I left.”

Danni shook her head looking at her.

“Ella.”

“It’s ok Danni I know you and Gabby hated me for going away. Even if I explained it to you I doubt you’d really have understood what I was doing.” Ella said draining her cup and placing it on the white table.

“Does he still dream?” Pete asked slowly.

“Not so often.” Ella said back looking at him.

“Dreams?” Mike asked looking from one to the other.

“Hardcore used to have bad dreams sometimes, is all.” Jacko said quietly.

Mike shook his head.

“All this time and I never knew what he was going through. Why didn’t he ever tell me?” he asked his voice sounding bitter.

“For the same reason he’s never going to tell Georgie.” Ella murmured. “You need to choose your own path. And for you and your brother that has involved the army.”

“How could I have been so selfish?” Mike muttered.

“It’s not selfish.” Ella said quickly. “Can’t be selfish if you never knew.” She pointed out. “Anyway he had more texts last night on top of the landmine incident.”

“We’re going to see the copper this morning.” Jacko murmured.

“He didn’t seem that friendly.” Ella said softly.

“I don’t think he altogether believed us when we spoke to him or maybe it was making him sweep the entire park for landmines that did it.” Pete said giving Jacko a grin.

“Mama.” Lily called out.

“I’m sorry but the person you are trying to reach isn’t available.” Ella said softly.

Jacko chuckled.

“So anyway. Pete can you check the text messages. Roman seems to think that it’s possible William has got hold of his army records.” Ella murmured.

“Mama.” Lily called again.

“Be with you in a minute Lily squeals.” Ella called out.

“I’ll contact….” Jacko began.

“Mama.”

Ella stood up and moved over to the door of the nursery. She opened it and looked at Lily the other side of it.

“Mama late.” Lily muttered putting her hands on her hips.

“Come on if you are coming.” Ella said to her. She moved over to the cot and lifted Liam out and to the floor smiling as he ran past Lily and over to Jacko.

Ella looked at Lily and grinned as her daughter stomped out of the nursery. She saw Liam with Jacko and frowned.

“Whoops I think you are in her bad books.” Mike said to Jacko.

Ella moved to the fridge and took out the juice pouring out a couple of beakers before placing them on the table and lifting up her daughter on to a chair. She tucked it underneath and moved the beaker closer to her.

“Ta.” Lily said smiling at her mother.

Ella walked back into the kitchen and took out bowls, placing them on the table before taking out their favourite cereal. She took out the jug of milk from the fridge and took that over to the table helping the babies pour out both.

“Spoons mama.” Liam called out.

“Big spoons or little ones?” Ella asked.

“Liccle ones.” Liam said sweetly.

Ella bent down and kissed the top of his head before she fetched the spoons and took them back over and handed them out.

“Yum.” Liam said crunching his cereal.

Ella grinned at him.

“Can you get us his phone?” Pete asked her.

Ella nodded.

“We’re going to be here until late this afternoon. I want Roman to get some sleep so we won’t need it back until then.” She told him.

“I’ll take it to the office. We’ll clone his sim so when he gets a text we’ll get it too.” Pete told her.

“Well I better be careful what I send him.”

“Mother!” Mike exclaimed blushing.

Ella grinned at him before walking around the table and kissing Mike on the top of his head grinning as Lily giggled at her before she walked over to the bedroom. She slipped inside it and closed the door behind her before padding over to the bed and looking on his bedside cabinet. She gave him a glance in the bed as he stirred before she walked over to the dresser and searched there for his phone. Next she picked up his discarded jeans and searched the pockets before folding them up once more.

“It’s not there.” he mumbled from the bed.

“Where is it?” she asked him.

He rolled over and pulled up the covers.

“Pete needs it.” she said quietly.

Roman opened his eyes and looked at her before pointing.

“Kitchen.” he mumbled.

“Thank you.” She said quietly.

He looked at her and smiled.

“Come here.” He told her.

Ella shook her head grinning at him.

“We do not have time.” she said.

“Just five minutes.” He said softly.

“Not to mention that you need to sleep.”

“Shouldn’t have woken us up.” He told her a grin on his face.

Ella laughed before running past the bed and out of the room. She closed the door firmly hearing his laughter before she went over to the kitchen and picked up his phone and handed it to Pete. She was still blushing when she poured out a coffee for herself and sat down.

“Is he asleep then?” Jacko asked looking over at her.

“Not quite.” Ella mumbled into the cup as she took a drink.

Chapter 118

Roman eased out of the bedroom and looked over at the children seated around the sofas, their attention focused on the tv in front of them. He smiled as Ella turned and grinned at him.

“Dada.” Liam called out.

“Hey.” He murmured feeling embarrassed that he’d slept so long.

“Sophie do you want to get your dad a drink?” Ella asked her daughter.

Sophie immediately jumped up and went over to the kitchen.

“Do you want coffee or something else?” Sophie asked.

“Coffee please.” Roman said going over and sitting next to Ella.

She smiled at him and reached out taking hold of his hand. He squeezed her hand in return and looked up to see Mike watching him.

“So what has everyone been up to?” he asked slowly.

“We’ve been watching this film. And Mummy made us dinner. Jacko and Pete played with us.” Sammy told him his words coming out in a rush.

“Really?” Roman murmured.

“Yeah. She cooked chicken wrapped in bacon with mushrooms and pasta.” Sammy told him flushing when he saw Meggy giving him a look. “What? I liked it.” he added.

“Oh Sammy.” Meggy murmured with an over dramatic roll of her eyes.

Sophie moved over slowly carrying the cup of coffee. She placed it on the table in front of Roman and gave a quick grin.

“Anyone else want a drink?” she asked politely.

Lily held up her beaker to her.

“What do you say Lils?” Ella said softly.

“Pleases.” Lily called out sweetly.

Sophie nodded and took the beaker from her sister moving to fill it up she returned after a moment handing over the full beaker before sat down the other side of Danni.

Roman picked up his cup and took a drink smiling when he caught Sophie watching.

“Very good coffee Sophie.” he complimented his daughter. “When are we going back?” he added after a moment.

“Well it started raining a little while ago so I thought it best to stay over another night.” Ella said to him.

Roman gave her a smile sensing there was more to it than she’d said.

“What about school?” he asked.

“They will have to miss a couple of days and no Meggy you are not allowed to do that victory dance again.”

Meggy looked at her and pouted.

Roman smiled at his daughter before looking at Ella.

“But I didn’t see it.” he said quickly.

Ella rolled her eyes as Meggy jumped up from her seat and punched the air before she skipped around the room.

“I see your point.” He murmured.

“Me’s dances.” Lily murmured jumping up and going over to Meggy.

Meggy looked down at Lily and took hold of her hands twirling her around.

Roman smiled at them before unlacing his fingers from Ella’s hand and putting his arm around her. He felt her snuggle up to him and he smiled as the warmth of her body began to warm him.

“Ok solider?” she whispered.

“Yeah.” He said quietly. “A little hungry though.”

Ella nodded.

“Cheese on toast?” she asked him and felt him nod.

Mike chuckled at them.

Ella gave her son a look and stood up off the sofa going over to the cooker. She opened the fridge and took out the bread and other ingredients before putting the bread in the toaster. Opening the grill she switched it on before grating a bowl full of cheese. The toast popped and she put in new slices before spreading the others and covering with cheese. Placing them under the grill she watched the cheese melt and took it out. Grabbing a plate she loaded it with the hot toast and walked it over to Roman smiling as he grinned at her.

“Thank you.” He told her.

She leaned down and kissed him before heading back into the kitchen. Within minutes she had more toast under the grill and more bread in the toaster. Moving quickly she plated up over eight slices of toast cutting them into halves and walking them over to the coffee table.

“Here you go.” She told the other grinning as they reached for slices.

“Mama?” Lily murmured.

“Yours is coming my girl.” Ella told her chuckling as Lily pouted. She walked over and took out the last of the cheese on toast out from the grill and cut it into fours before taking off the crust and placing them on plates for Lily and Liam.

“Ta.” Liam said when she handed him his plate.

Lily looked up smiling as Ella sat next to her and placed her plate on her lap.

“Ok Lils?” Ella asked.

Lily nodded stuffing the first piece in her mouth.

“Go steady.” Ella told her before snuggling back up to Roman. She looked over at the plate on table groaning when it was empty.

“Here.” Roman said holding up his plate.

She smiled at him and took his last piece breaking it in half and passing half back to him.

“Thank you.” She murmured kissing him.

“Can you stop with that soppy stuff?” Mike asked. “I’ve just eaten.”

Danni looked at Mike and gave him a push glaring at him. They stilled as the doorbell sounded.

“Probably Jacko.” Ella said softly.

Roman put his plate to one side and stood up moving over to the door.

“Who is it?” Roman asked cautiously.

“Delivery.” Jacko called via the intercom.

Roman pressed the button that opened the bottom door. He waited a moment before opening the apartment door smiling as he saw what Jacko was carrying.

“Really?” he asked.

“She said it was what she wanted.” Jacko muttered handing over a bag to the other man. “Never had to guard one of these before.”

“Jacko?” Ella said springing up from the sofa.

Roman stepped to one side smiling as Ella greeted Fleur. She lifted her out of her capsule and cradled her baby to her.

“Jacko.” Ella said again leaning over and kissing the other man. “Thank you.”

“Mum.” Danni said calling to her.

“Sorry but I missed her.” Ella said looking up at Roman.

He smiled putting his arm out and stroking Fleur’s cheek.

“She’s grown.”

“It’s been like two days.” Georgie muttered earning a glare from Sophie.

Ella leaned up and kissed Roman again before she went over to the sofa and sat down.

“Jacko.” Roman murmured.

“I know Hardcore but you might be stranded here another couple of days.” Jacko said mindful that the children were listening. “Least I could do is go get her. James has gone to stay in your house to keep an eye on the place while you are here.”

“Can he feed Thumper?” Sammy shouted out.

“And the cats.” Meggy added.

“He knows he’s on animal feeding duty. His wife has been after him to get a dog so this should be a good experience for him.” Jacko said looking over at a worried Sammy. “and here is your phone.” He added giving Roman his phone back. “You might want to delete your sent items.”

Ella looked over at Roman and blushed.

“You haven’t deleted them?” she asked him.

“Nope.” Jacko confirmed.

“God and now they know everything.” She muttered.

“Not quite.” Jacko said with a grin. “Reckon we learnt a few things.”

Ella glared at Roman.

“Did you not get rid of anything?” she groaned.

“Nope.” Roman said imitating Jacko.

“Gah.” Ella ground out.

Jacko chuckled.

“You missed her then?” Danni asked changing the subject as she moved over to sit next to Ella.

“I did.” Ella whispered looking down on her baby.

Roman took the bag into the kitchen and opened it seeing made up bottles of formula. He put them in the fridge before putting the bag away in the nursery.

“We’ll need to go shopping.” Roman told her. “Food is getting low and you’ll need extra nappies.”

Ella looked at him.

“Do you want to nip out. Jacko will show you where there is a store.”

“Sure.” Jacko said with a nod at Ella’s quick thinking.

“Ok.” Roman said going over to her. “Anything you want?” he asked running his finger down her cheek. Was it any wonder they had so many kids when she looked this beautiful with a baby in her arms, he asked himself.

“Some chocolate.” She told him.

Roman smiled and leaned down to kiss her before zooming into the bedroom collecting his wallet and shoes. He walked out and saw Lily climbing into Ella’s lap trying to get her attention and he smiled.

“Ok.” Roman murmured going out the door with Jacko.

He waited until they reached the bottom of the stairs before he looked at Jacko.

“Did he get hold of my records?” Roman asked.

Jacko nodded.

“So he knows everything.” Roman murmured feeling a pressing weight in his chest.

“He knows about Michael and the landmines. He knows about Ella being out in Afghanistan.” Jacko began. “And from some of them things he’s been sending today he knows the top secret stuff.”

“How would he get that information?” Roman asked walking over to Jacko’s car.

“Bribed someone.” Jacko suggested.

“Jacko some of that stuff is so…” Roman stopped and looked at his lifelong friend. “He knows about Yugoslavia?” he asked suddenly.

“My guess would be yes.” Jacko said sounding serious.

“That can’t come out.” Roman said quickly. “People will die.”

“I don’t think you would have any control over it until we find the son off’a bitch.” Jacko said. “We’ve sent Jacob and Gabby to live with Toby. Jacob been getting threatening text messages.”

“Threatening the baby no doubt.”

Jacko nodded and opened up the car. He climbed behind the steering wheel with Roman getting in the passenger seat.

“So any clues as to what we do next?” Roman asked.

“Yeah we get your Mrs some chocolate.” Jacko said with a grin. “Oh and we track William down and kill him a little.”

“You know it’s dangerous to hang around with us don’t you?” Roman said from out of nowhere. “I’ve already got you shot once.”

“Hell Hardcore you got me shot lots of times but I don’t hold a grudge.” Jacko said grinning at him as he started the car and moved away from the curb

Ella looked over at Mike and smiled as he cuddled Lily to him before she turned and looked at Danni.

“So when are you going to make me a grandma?” she asked.

Sophie squealed excitedly and looked at Danni.

“We’re going to start trying after we’re married.” Danni said grinning at Mike.

“That is so cool.” Sophie said quickly. “Have you decided about bridesmaids?”

“I think you should just have an attendant. If you have one of your sisters you’ll need to have them all.” Ella pointed out.

“Mum.” Sophie groaned.

“We want a simple wedding Sophie.” Mike said to her.

“Are you going to ask Toby to be your best man?” Georgie said quietly. “I won’t mind.”

“Hadn’t even thought about it.” Mike said looking at his brother. “Because as far as I’m concerned I have one already.”

“Still want him?” Ella asked nodding towards her son. “Because he’s got a drinking habit now you know.”

“I’ve only had one beer.” Georgie protested groaning as they laughed at him.

Mike put his arm around his brother.

“I wouldn’t want anyone else. Not Brett and not Toby. You are my best man Georgie.”

Georgie beamed happily.

“So back to bridesmaids.” Sophie said.

“Sophie.” Danni groaned. “I don’t want a big wedding.”

“Sammy.” Ella called. “You want to put a film on?”

Sammy nodded.

“Can we play a game?” he asked.

“Want to go get them?” Ella told him.

Sammy jumped up and began moving to the bedroom. Meggy looked at Ella before she moved over to her brother and went into the bedroom with him.

“What are we going to eat for tea?” Mike asked putting Lily to one side and standing up. He cleared up the plates and the empty cups moving them to the kitchen before making a coffee.

“Wait until Roman gets back.” Ella said to him. “He might want to cook.”

Mike nodded.

“He ok”? he asked her.

Ella glanced at the children and nodded quickly.

“We know Mummy.” Sophie said. “About William.”

“Me’s Liam.” Liam called out pointing at himself.

Ella laughed before leaning over and kissed the top of his head.

“Yes you are.” She told him.

Easing up off the sofa she moved into the nursery and placed the sleeping Fleur into the cot covering her up with the blanket. She turned on the mobile above the cot before easing out of the room and part closing the door.

“Mama.” Lily called.

“Shush baby girl.” Ella said going back to her seat on the sofa. She patted the space beside her and Lily climbed from the other large cream sofa to move up next to her.

“What do you want baby girl?” Ella asked her.

“Lil’s tired.” Lily said.

“Want to go to bed for a bit?” Ella murmured.

Lily nodded.

“What about you Liam?” Ella asked.

“Mama nap?” Liam asked.

“Why don’t you lay down for a few minutes.” Mike told her. “You had a disturbed night.”

Ella gave him a long look before she nodded.

“Come on Lily squeals.” Ella said before lifting up Liam. She walked through to the bedroom with Lily following her.

She sat Liam on the bed before moving him in the bed and then picking up Lily.

“Mama hugs?” Lily asked.

“In you get Lily you can both snuggle with me.” Ella told her.

Lily smiled and climbed up in the bed. Ella kicked off her shoes and got in beside her. She must have been more tired then she thought because as soon as she settled the babies down she flee instantly asleep.

Ok.... Just one small little thing..... I'm going on holiday for two weeks..... :ph34r: Now I know that this will give some readers a chance to catch up and others will be suffering withdrawal symptoms but seriously I need a break ok, I've had to rename my cat Roman so that when I'm plotting out my dialogue it doesn't sound like I'm mad. :blink: Er... well... lets not talk about my houseplants now called Sophie, Georgie, Meggy, Sammy, Lily ...... :o Or that it took ten minutes to realise that the Liam's birthday I marked in my diary is actually my nephew Liam and not Roman and Ella's Liam...... anyway... adios..... hasta manana....

Chapter 119

Ella woke up and peered over at a still sleeping Roman. She eased out of the bed and padded out to the lounge.

“Girlie is there a reason you are coming out here?” Jacko asked not even bothering to open his eyes.

“Did you get it?” she whispered.

Jacko sighed.

“This is a bad idea.” He muttered.

“Shush.” Ella whispered at him.

Jacko looked at her seeing moonlight falling on her pale face making her look like a moon goddess.

“I buried it in the bag in the nursery.” He said.

Ella nodded and tiptoed to the nursery. She looked at her sleeping babies. Lily and Liam were soundly asleep in the bed and Fleur in the cot. Sighing she collected the DNA kit and took out the swab. Moving out of the nursery she walked just as silently into the children’s bedroom and padded silently over to Meggy. Her daughter was sleeping on her back, one arm flung above her head. Opening the plastic casing at the top of the swab she pushed it down the stalk before gently pinching Meggy’s nose. Meggy gave a gasp and opened her mouth. Ella sighed and relesed her hold on her daughters mouth before she placed the swab into her daughter’s mouth and ran it down the side a few times covering the swab with her daughters cells. Biting back a sigh she withdrew the swab and pulled up the protective plastic shield.

“I’m sorry Meggy.” She whispered before padding back out to where Jacko was sitting.

He looked at her with sympathy on his face.

“Are you totally sure about this?” he asked her.

Ella walked to the kitchen and placed the swab into the bag.

“I’ll be dressed and ready to go in a minute.” Ella said to him. “I need William’s number.”

“Roman will kill you.” Jacko said looking at her.

“I am not going to sit back and let this man hurt my family Jacko and that includes Roman.” Ella snapped out.

He shook his head at her.

“I’ve told you I’ll do it Girlie, I just don’t happen to agree with what you are doing.” He said finally.

Ella picked up the kit and moved back into the bedroom. She looked at Roman still sleeping in the bed and groaned. Going over to the bed she sat on the side of it and switched on his bedside lamp before shaking him awake.

“El.” He murmured almost immediately.

“I’ve had an idea how to draw William out of hiding.” She said.

Roman caught the look on her face and swore under his breath before he moved the pillows behind him and sat up. He reached out and picked her up manoeuvring her to sit beside him.

“Ok.” he said looking at her. He wondered when to tell her that her feet were freezing.

“We tell him we have Meggy’s test results.” She said biting her lip.

“We do have her results.” He said.

Ella looked down at the plastic bag in her hand and held it up for him to see.

“I want to do another test.” She said unable to stop the first tear that fell down her face.

“You did that to out daughter…” he began angrily.

Ella shook her head.

“She’s asleep.” She told him. “I wasn’t going to say anything. I was going to go and get it tested and then set up a meet with him.” she got out quickly.

“Ella.” He said angrily.

“no listen.” She cried out dropping the test kit and putting her hands on his arms. “Listen.” She said again.

“I’m listening but I don’t think I’m very receptive right now.” He said glaring at her.

“We know what Gardy did to me. But you don’t know what it felt like.” She began.

“Ella.” Roman interrupted.

“Listen.” She said again. “Feeling him inside me. It degraded me. Made me a piece of meat. Made me unclean. Havign Meggy and finding she was yours was like lifting the weight of guilt off my shoulders but since then there are times I look at her and I wonder if she is his after all.”

“Ella I’ve told you I never….” He began to say angrily.

“No matter what piece of paper that was used. The fake results or the real ones I’ve still got doubt in my mind and I want to get rid of that once and for all.”

Roman swung his legs out of bed and began to pace. Ella swallowed nervously watching him.

“It’s inside me Roman. I can’t expalin it so you’d understand.”

He stopped and looked at her folding his arms across his chest.

“You think I’m ever going to be in a place where I understand you thinking that our beautiful daughter may in fact be his?” he snapped out.

Ella twisted and stood up facing him.

“Within two days of us making love he raped me so don’t you dare try to tell me it couldn’t happen. There are cases where twins have been born with different fathers. Biological fact Roman Harris. And as loathsome as you find it to be once again dragged into a discussion where I’m talking about what happened to me I’m the one living with the scars and the memories. I’m a rape victim. I’m a statistic. And I begged when he had that knife at my throat.” Ella swallowed as the memories swamped her. She looked at him and took a deep breath. “I don’t want a shred of doubt left anymore.”

“And has this doubt stopped you loving her all these years?” Roman asked quietly.

“Oh forget it.” Ella snapped.

She turned and picked up the test kit before going to walk past him. Roman reached out and caught hold of her arm flinching when she cried out.

“El.” He said quickly.

“I’ve come to you and told you what I’m doing.” She muttered back up and moving past him.

Roman looked at her his eyes narrowed. He moved to the dresser and took out clothes pulling them on hurriedly before stuffing his feet into trainers.

“You do this and we’re over.” He told her before he stalked out of the bedroom. He walked past Jacko glaring at the other man before he went out the apartment. The door slammed behind him waking the babies.

Ella forced herself to keep it together and walked over to the nursery.

“Shut up.” She told Jacko on the way past.

Roman eased into the apartment. He kicked off his trainers just inside the door and walked to the fridge getting out a bottle of ice cold water. He ripped off the top and threw the rubbish on the top before walking past a snoring Jacko and into the bedroom.

“Ella.” He called out.

Ella moved before sitting up in the bed and looking at him.

“Do the test.” He told her. “Get it sorted.”

“Why?” she asked wiping the tears from her face.

“Because I was wrong to do those fake results. I shouldn’t have taken the choice away from you despite just trying to protect you.”

“It’s about that isn’t it.” she whispered.

“No of course not.” Roman denied hurriedly.

“No. You didn’t protect me from him. He took what was yours.” Ella whispered looking at him in shock.

“Ella no stop. You want to drag it all up you’ll just make us unhappy.” He said and looked at her in horror hearing his own words.

“Well thank you for your permission.” She said quietly her tone flat. “If you don’t mind I’d rather be alone right now.”

Roman looked at her before he turned away and walked back out of the bedroom. He went into the bathroom and stripped off climbing under the shower.

Ella settled down in the bed and looked at the test kit sitting on the bedside cabinet beside her feeling it mocking her. She stood up form the bed and moved out and into the bathroom. Looking at Roman in the shower she gave a small hiccuping sob before seeing him hold out his hand to her. Running over to him she stepped into the shower still wearing her nightdress.

“I can’t explain it. I look at her and see your eyes. I see the way she moves and it’s so like you. But something inside me wants to do this. I can’t even think past what will happen when we get the results.” She told him.

Roman captured her face between his hands knowing that the moisture that ran down her cheeks wasn’t all from the shower.

He kissed her.

“I love you Ella. I hate that we are talking about this again. I hate that you feel all these horrible things because of what was done to you. I hate that I couldn’t protect you.”

She smiled and wrapped her arms around him pressing herself close to him.

“Roman you know that you were my strength during that dark time. But you can’t ever know how bad I feel inside that I let it happen. How guilty that I come to you scared not just physically but emotionally. I know that these feelings aren’t logical but its what I feel.”

“You just said yourself that he had a knife.” Roman murmured. “How were you supposed to fight off that?”

“You would have done.” She said looking sad.

“Ella are we going to relive that whole thing? I need you to think about how strong you are and how brave. And how amazing you are to make our children feel safe when you know the darkness that is out there. It happened and nothing we can do can change it, no matter how much I want to. Do you need the DNA test because of the fake results I told you about or because William is out there somewhere and dragging this back up?”

Ella sighed and looked up at him.

“Seeing that picture of their mother. It made me question, what if.” Ella said looking away. Her voice dropped to a whisper. “I still hear his voice ‘what if the child inside you is a boy.’ As though he knew if it were a boy I’d always wonder if he was going to turn into a rapist.”

Roman sighed.

“You never said that to me before.” He told her.

“I was never in a place where I could say this stuff to you.” She said placing her hand on his face. “Not because I couldn’t talk to you though.” She added quickly.

He gave her a rueful smile.

“You sure about that one?” he asked her.

Ella giggled suddenly feeling the tension leave her.

“I love you so much Roman Harris.” She told him.

“I know. I love you.”

“You threw the big stuff at me again.” Ella said closing her eyes as she remembered the scene from a few moments ago.

“You dodged it beautifully.” He said and heard her giggle again. “Just answer this question. Were you going to do this on your own to protect me or because you thought I wouldn’t understand.”

“Both.” Ella whispered. “But I came and told you because I love you.”

“That’s ok then.” He murmured.

“Really?” she asked easing back and looking into his eyes.

“No. You are seriously going to get spanked Ella Harris.” He told her.

Ella sighed and leaned against him again.

“Better not go in there.” Jacko murmured to Mike as he moved out of his bedroom and over to the bathroom door.

“What?” Mike gasped out. “Are you like bathroom monitor?”

Jacko sat up and pushed the cover down looking over at the other man.

“It’s busy.” He said. “Roman is taking a shower….”

“It will be very busy in a minute.” Mike interrupted pushing open the bathroom door and stepping inside.

Jacko sighed when he heard the scream before grinning when Mike stormed back out.

“With your mother.” He finished looking over at Mike.

“Yeah thanks I noticed.” Mike said groaning as he walked back to his bedroom.

Jacko chuckled and lay back down pulling the cover over him once more.

Archived