Broken

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Did anyone miss me?? No?? Well I guess you don't want an update then....... :ph34r:

Oh you do?? Ok then....... :wink: Oh, and Carina - be warned there is mention of cheese on toast in here.......

Chapter 120

Roman rolled over and frowned when he saw her side of the bed empty. He sat up and pushed the covers to one side sliding his legs out of the bed and to the floor. Grabbing his bathrobe he pulled it on as he moved to the door. Jacko was still asleep on the sofa and the children were sitting subdued around the table.

He walked over to them and pressed a kiss to the top of Lily’s head before looking around the faces of the others.

“Morning.” He said quietly mindful of the sleeping Jacko.

“Hey Daddy.” Meggy said with a grin. “We’re trying not to wake the old man.”

Roman bit his lip forcing himself not to smile at the comment.

“I’m sure he appreciates it.” Roman told her.

Sophie looked over at Meggy and grinned at her sister.

Roman watched them for a moment before he went over to the kitchen counter and poured out a coffee for himself. He frowned looking round for Ella.

“Where…” he began to ask.

“I’m here.” Ella said coming out of the nursery with Liam balanced on one hip and Fleur cradled in her arm.

Roman turned and immediately took Liam from her moving over to the table with his son and placing him in the free highchair.

Ella gave him a smile and moved over to the table to stand next to him. She ran her hand down his back, grinning as he smiled at her.

“So what are we doing today?” he asked her.

“Not certain.” Ella murmured moving to sit down next to Sophie.

“Can we go shopping again?” Georgie asked glancing around the table.

“Really? That is what you want to do?” Sophie muttered to her brother.

“I think he’s remembering the surf shop we went past the other day.” Sammy pointed out.

Roman grinned at his kids before placing a bowl in front of Liam and putting cereal in it. He added milk and put a spoon next to it before sitting down next to Ella. She smiled at him again before handing Fleur to him. He looked down at their daughter and gave a little sigh when he saw that her eyes were open and she was smiling up at him.

“Hey sweet girl.” He said softly reaching out to stroke her cheek.

Ella stood and moved to the kitchen bench picking up Roman’s cup and bringing it over to him. She refilled her own cup and took a drink from it before sitting down again.

“Anything you want to do?” she asked Roman.

He shook his head.

“We should probably do a food shop depending on how long we are going to stay.”

“How long are we going to stay?” Sammy asked looking round the table. He caught Meggy giving him a look before he spoke next. ”Only I think we shouldn’t miss too much school.” He added.

“Just a couple of days.” Ella said knowing that Roman was watching her. She half turned her head and gave him a quick smile before sipping from her cup.

“Is this because of the bad man?” Meggy asked glancing at Sammy before looking over at her parents.

Ella looked at Roman and inclined her head in a half nod.

“It is.” Roman murmured.

“What does he want?” Meggy said quickly. “Does he want to hurt us?”

Roman smothered a groan and instead gave a small smile.

“In a manner of speaking.” He murmured instantly regretting answering her question. He sucked in a deep breath and spoke again. “He thinks that your Mummy and I are responsible for hurting his brother.”

Ella gave him a small encouraging smile and he sighed with relief.

“Even though he was a bad man too?” Sammy said slowly.

Roman nodded.

“So what are we going to do?” Meggy asked glancing at her brother.

“Well I thought we would take him on a picnic and feed him leftover sandwiches from the diner.” Ella told her.

Meggy giggled.

“Or make him wash Daddy’s socks.” She suggested.

“Hey.” Roman grumbled.

“Or I could recite Shakespeare to him until his ears bleed.” Sammy suggested.

“I could introduce him to the other cadets and we can take him on a hike.” Georgie murmured. “Barefoot.” He added grinning at the expression on Sammy’s face.

“Me and Angel could give him a makeover.” Sophie murmured.

“Poor man “ Ella said. “See how blood thirsty your children are?” she asked Roman.

“I know.” Roman said giving her an innocent expression. “I think they get it from you.”

Ella gasped before she burst out laughing.

Sammy and Meggy grinned at each other.

“So what are we going to do today and don’t tell us shopping because that is so boring.” Sammy murmured with a groan.

Ella looked at Roman seeing him shrug.

“That’s a help.” she told him. “Ok grab your swimmers and I’ll take you to a leisure centre.”

“We didn’t bring our swimmers.” Sammy told her accusingly.

“Better go shopping then.” Roman said to him.

“You know what, I hate you.” Sammy said glaring at them.

Ella giggled before she stood up and walked back to the kitchen. She began fixing more toast smiling at the way that Roman was holding their daughter and their family around the table. She pulled out the grill pan and put the buttered toast on before adding cheese on top before placing that under the heat. When the cheese melted she took it out and placed it on a couple of plates taking it over to the table. Roman grinned at he as she put one of the plates in front of him.

“I’m not sure there is a lot for you to do.” Ella told the children. “There is an activity centre on the outskirts where you could do some stuff.”

“That sounds cool.” Sophie murmured looking at Georgie.

He nodded at her.

“Does it have swings and stuff?” Sammy asked quickly.

“It has pretty much everything. A climbing wall, Ball pit, climbing frames.” Ella said to them before biting into her toast.

“Did Mike go there?” Georgie murmured.

“He did.” Ella nodded.

“Is it still open?” Roman asked her.

“I checked a few weeks ago. It’s changed management but is still going.” She murmured.

Roman nodded.

“Is there something for all of them?”

Ella sighed.

“No Meggy will hate it.” she said.

“What?” Meggy squeaked out.

Sammy and Marcus exchanged a look before they chuckled.

Ella looked over at Roman and saw him smiling as he and Georgie were climbing on the rock wall.

“He looks happy.” Sophie commented sinking into a seat beside her.

“Uh huh Missy.” Ella said looking at her daughter.

“Well.” Sophie said a blush staining her cheeks with red.

“What do you want?” Ella asked raising her eyebrow as she looked at her daughter.

“Can we get another drink?” Sophie asked gesturing to Meggy with her free hand.

“Really? Another one?” Ella murmured.

Sophie nodded.

“We’re thirsty. Did you do that with Mike?” she asked curiously pointing to the wall.

Ella nodded before she reached for her purse.

“Why don’t you go and have a go?” Sophie said looking over at the tall wall.

“I have to look after Fleur.” Ella said quietly.

“We can do that while we are having our drink.” Meggy volunteered looking to Sophie and seeing her sister nodding agreement.

“Go get drinks.” Ella said giving Sophie some money.

Sophie nodded and shot up running over to the drinks kiosk.

“Please Mum show the boys how it’s done.” Meggy grinned at her mother. “We will look after Fleur and Sammy is with Marcus and the babies in the ball pit.”

Ella sighed before pushing the buggy close to Meggy.

“If I hear her crying…” she began.

“We’ll be fine.” Meggy promised. “Won’t we Fleur?”

Ella shook her head before standing up and walking over to the climbing wall. She spoke to the helper and he rigged her up with a harness and safety rope before she began her ascent. Within a minute she had reached the same height as Georgie.

“Show off.” Roman called over to her.

Ella grinned at him.

“Catch me if you can Harris.” Ella sang out going up the next level. She reached out and cupped the next highest point pulling herself up one handed before finding footholds on the wall.

Roman whistled through his teeth as he watched her climb.

“Catch up to her dad.” Georgie called out.

Roman grinned.

“Not sure I can.” He replied.

Georgie shook his head at him.

“Fine.” Roman told him.

He stretched up and cupped the small outcropping reaching as high as he could. Firming up his grip he looked for a foothold and moved sideways before he was able to go up a level. He lifted his head and looked up the wall seeing the best handholds before he climbed slowly up the next bit. He glanced over at Ella and saw her on the same level as him before she seemed to tip sideways and manoeuvre herself to a difficult grip point. He looked puzzled for a moment before he saw her straighten up and realised she was only a couple of meters from the top of the wall. Knowing Georgie was watching he pulled himself up quickly and tried to catch up with her. He had a height advantage and knew he was fitter than Ella. He suddenly thought about the medical tests that she’d had done and not got the results back and he stilled, almost losing his grip.

“Dad.” Georgie called out urgently.

“It’s ok.” Roman called back pulling him up and over to the next point. He glanced over and saw Ella put her hand on the top of the wall before she pulled herself up and gave a groan. He was a minute behind her and looked over to where she was sitting.

“So you’ve done this before?” he asked.

She nodded.

“You seem a bit out of breath there LT.” She said to him.

“Ha ha.” Roman muttered looking at her before he stood up. “Last one down has to do the next nappy change.” He called to her before leaning backwards and beginning the abseil down the wall. He heard Ella swear before he saw her standing on the edge. She faced the wall and leaned back before she pushed off and slid down. Within a second she had caught up with him and pushed herself back again sliding down faster. He wasn’t surprised she got to the bottom seconds before him.

“Enjoy that?” Roman asked her.

Ella nodded and looked up the wall to where Georgie was. She gave Roman a look before she began climbing up to her son.

“Ok?” she asked him.

Georgie nodded slowly his eyes on the floor below him.

“You can’t fall.” Ella said softly.

“I know.” He said in a quiet voice. “But…” he looked over at her.

“Look at me.” Ella said quietly. “No one is expecting you to be brave here Georgie. If you don’t want to go on then you can stop.”

Georgie sighed and looked up. He gulped and looked back at her.

“I’m stuck.” He muttered.

Ella gave him a smile before she pushed herself away from the way and swung over to him until she was behind him. She placed her hand on the hold nearest to his hand and pulled herslef close.

“This is how I taught Mike.” she confided. “He was afraid of heights.”

“Really?” Georgie asked a note of disbelief in his voice.

“Yup.” She said. “Now I want you to lift your hand up to there.” she pointed and he looked at her before moving his hand and following her directions. She moved up behind him slowly before easing away and climbed next to him.

“How’s that one?” she asked as he found his own hand hold.

“Feels ok.” he said.

“There are two places you can put your feet.” She said.

He nodded.

“Think I’m going to use this one.” He murmured.

He glanced across and saw his Dad climbing next to him and sighed realising that he’d been so preoccupied climbing that he hadn’t noticed his Dad getting back on the wall.

“We’re both here.” Ella said softly.

She glanced up and smiled before looking over at Georgie.

“It looked easy when you did it earlier.” Georgie told them. “That’s when…”

“You had a wobble.” Ella interrupted and saw him nod.

“That happens.” Roman said.

“Bet not to you.” Georgie said quietly.

“Even to me. God, watching your Mum do that sideways thing scared the pants off me, let alone lift herself up one handed.” Roman shook his head and caught Ella grinning at him.

Georgie giggled and looked up. He gave a little gasp when he saw he had climbed near the top.

“Just another bit to go.” Roman said quietly from his other side.

Georgie nodded and bit his lip as he focused on the wall. He pulled himself up and then wobbled losing his foothold. Groaning he cried out in panic.

“Take a breath.” Ella called out.

Georgie nodded at her before breathing out slowly. He looked down at the foothold and repositioned his foot before pulling himself up and over the top gasping.

“See you did it.” Roman called out joining up at the same time Ella pulled herself up.

“ I did.” Georgie said with a note of wonder in his voice.

“Now is the fun bit.” Ella murmured grinning at him.

“I think I’m going to climb down.” Georgie told her.

“Nope can’t let you.” Ella said. “Stand up.”

He looked at her and eased up to his feet. She positioned him so that he would be facing the wall when he dropped.

“You are going to step off. See this rope here?” she asked and saw him nod. “This won’t let you fall see, it’s attached. Now we are going to walk down.”

“Walk?” Georgie muttered his eyes flying to hers.

Ella nodded.

“It’s just a walk. You are going to feed the rope through your hands as you move.”

Roman looked at his son and nodded at him.

“It’s easy.” He told him.

“But you do need to lean backwards.” Ella said.

“Watch me.” Roman said going first over the edge of the wall.

Georgie nodded and looked at Ella.

“You can do it.” she told him.

He gave a small cry before he stepped back and over the side. He cried out before he was able to get his balance and walk down the wall. He gathered speed as he moved and gave a small smile.

“That’s it.” Ella said springing over the edge and joining him. She caught up with him and walked down the wall next to him.

“Doing great.” Roman told him.

Georgie nodded grinning.

“Doesn’t feel too bad now.”

“That’s because you’ve done the hard part.” Ella told her son. She shook the rope out behind her and pushed away from the wall spring down.

Georgie caught his Dad looking at him and he laughed before copying his mum. He flexed his legs as he swung back towards the wall before letting himself bounce off it. He repeated the action a couple of times until his feet touched the floor.

“There you go.” Ella said slipping off the harness.

Georgie nodded and eased back as he was unhooked from the rope. He turned and grinned at his Dad as Roman finally ascended.

“Do they do that in training?” he asked quickly before biting his lip again.

“Depends what regiment they put you in.” Roman answered.

Ella nodded approval when Roman looked at her and gave him a quick smile of encouragement.

“But it could be.” Georgie continued.

“Yup.” Roman confirmed.

“I’m going to get a drink guys.” Ella said moving away from them and going back to the table where Sophie and Meggy were seated.

“That was cool.” Sophie murmured.

“You want to have a go?” Ella asked her.

“No chance. My feet belong on the floor.” Sophie said with an authentic shudder as she glanced at the top of the climbing wall.

Ella grinned at her before picking up her water bottle and taking a long drink.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 121

Nic looked over at Mira running along the beach and smiled at her daughter watching the way her chubby legs were carrying her forward. She caught Geoff looking at her and she smiled over at him.

“She so doesn’t take after me.” Nic protested.

“You sure about that?” Geoff asked taking her hand within his own.

Nic nodded, her long blonde hair floating around her face.

“She looks just like you Nic. Sounds just like you.” He said quietly.

Nic gasped feeling the familiar guilt go through her as she looked at her youngest.

“We’re so blessed.” Geoff continued.

“Blessed?” Nic stopped and looked at her husband.

He nodded and tugged on her hand pulling her closer to him.

“Blessed because we were faced with a crisis and we made it through.” He said leaning forward and placing a kiss on to her lips.

“We were going to get rid of her.” Nic protested remembering that dark time. They had fallen pregnant just as they had to give up their house. Geoff has taken a job that involved a lot of travel and they had drifted apart.

“Do you think that we would have told Ella about our plans if we were truly going to go for the abortion?” he asked her.

Nic sighed and leaned her head on his shoulder before she spoke again.

“That’s what my Dad said.” she admitted.

“See.” He murmured with a grin. “I’m pretty sure even if we had booked the appointment we wouldn’t have gone through with it.”

“And it’s against your religion.” She pointed out.

“The big guy knows that I love him and that I love my wife and family more.” Geoff said before easing away and looking back at Mira.

“Really? You’ve talked about me to the big guy?” Nic asked.

“Many times.” Geoff confirmed a grin spreading over his face.

“Why do I sense something heading my way?” she asked stopping and tugging on his hand.

“Nope, he agreed to hold off on the thunderbolts in return for you not buying anymore shoes.” Geoff said and laughed at the expression on her face.

“That’s so not funny Campbell.” Nic cried out pulling her hand from his and running along the beach towards Mira. She swept her daughter into her arms and spun round in a circle laughing as Mira giggled at her. Geoff smiled at them before he ran over to where they were stood.

“What say we go to the diner?” he asked.

Nic nodded and looked at her daughter balanced on her hip.

“You want diner?” she asked her.

“Grandpa?” Mira murmured with a giggle.

“Yeah, we’ll see grandpa.” Nic said smiling over at Geoff.

He responded by leaning forward and kissing Nic softly on her lips before taking Mira from her and lifting her up so she was seated on his shoulders. He held out his free hand to Nic and she smiled happily as she put her hand within his safe grip before they walked along the beach.

“Maybe we should thing about having a couple days away.” He broached.

Nic nodded.

“Maybe.” She said quietly.

“But?” he questioned.

“I’m pretty happy here.” She told him.

Geoff gave a small husky laugh before pulling Nic closer to him and kissing her once more.

“Daddy giddy up.” Mira called out.

“Ok Mira.” Geoff said with a sigh. He began to walk once more towards the diner taking in the bluest of blue skies and the splash of the incoming tide on the hot golden sand. He looked up and saw a dance of seagulls in the sky hearing them cry out as they swerved back and forth in a squawking tango. They moved towards the path that would lead them to the pier and the diner stepping from the beach.

“We’re lucky.” He announced.

“We are?” Nic asked him. “I mean I know we are but why do …”

“Do I think we are lucky?” he finished.

Nic nodded at him.

“Well we have a wonderful marriage and beautiful kids.” He said softly before half turning and looking out at the sea. “An incredible family and amazing friends.”

“I agree.” She said softly.

“But most of all we get to live here. Summer Bay. It’s beautiful and peaceful. It’s where we got married, and had our kids and made our life.”

Nic stopped looking over at the sea for a moment before looking at him.

“Made our kids here.” She told him and watched smiling as he blushed.

“Look at it Nic, it’s beautiful.” He said softly.

Nic looked around before looking at him.

“So are you.” Nic said quietly.

She leaned up and kissed his check before they began walking once more.

Geoff paused once more glancing at Nic.

“Not more seagulls?” Nic asked him.

“Not quite.” He said in a hushed voice.

“Geoff?” Nic murmured.

His eyes were drawn to her face before he looked over to in the distance towards the diner. She followed his gaze and moaned under her breath before dropping her handbag to the ground and began running. The diner was in orange flames, a ring of fire engines around it trying to douse the flames. Grey smoke rose to taint the blue sky.

“Nic no.” Geoff called out.

“My dad is in there.” Nic shouted out.

Geoff eased Mira down and balanced her on his hip before running after Nic and caught hold of her arm. His fingers clamped around her wrist and he pulled gently focusing her attention on him.

“Take Mira.” He said softly.

Nic nodded and accepted the weight of her daughter as she took her from Geoff.

He gave her a long look before running along the pier to the burning diner. He was stopped by one of the firemen speaking rapidly at him. He turned and ran back to where Nic was standing, moving rapidly to her side.

“He’s not in there.” he gasped out. “The place was empty.”

“We should check on Leah and Colleen.” Nic said feeling tears gathering in her eyes.

Geoff nodded glancing back at the diner before looking at his wife again.

“They think that the fire was started deliberately.” He said slowly.

Nic paled.

“Him.” she whispered and saw Geoff nod slowly. “We have to tell Dad.”

Geoff looked at her.

“Where is your Dad?” he asked. “He should have been at work today.”

Nic gasped and looked around. She pointed to her bag and watched Geoff pick it up and hand it to her. Pulling out her phone she dialled and waited for the call to be answered, worry etched on her pretty face.

Aden walked down the corridor stopping at the nurses station.

“You paged me.” He said speaking to the nurse.

“Security have informed us that your car alarm is going off.” She told him with a frown.

Aden frowned back before he moved around the desk and picked up the phone. He dialled quickly and waited until the call was answered.

“This is Dr Jefferies.” He murmured.

“What can we do for you Dr Jefferies?”

Aden looked at the nurse and placed his hand over the receiver.

“Did you get the name of the person in security?” he asked her and saw her shook her head. He removed his hand and spoke again. “I received a page telling me that my car alarm had gone off and you wanted me to check in.”

“Sir, we’ve had no notifications of any alarms.” The guard assured him. There was a pause and murmuring in the background before he spoke again. “We’re going to send over a couple of people to you. Could you take them to your vehicle and take a look at it with them?”

“No worries. What is the name of the guards?” Aden asked the hairs standing up on the back of his neck.

“I’m sending over Dave Beckett and Michael Lafferty. They’ll show you id.”

“Thanks.” Aden murmured and hung up the phone ending the connection. He glanced at his watch before pulling out his mobile and dialling Belle’s number.

“What is it babe?” she answered on the first ring.

“Where are you?” he shot out his voice sounding high pitched to his own ears.

“At home. I’m cleaning.” She said slowly.

He could imagine her standing up straighter and frowning as she picked up the tension in his voice and he hated worrying her.

“Ok something weird is going on here so I’m kinda worried.” He murmured slowly.

“What kind of weird?” she asked immediately.

“I’ll explain later. Can you go somewhere where there are other people? Maybe take a walk to Nic’s?” he murmured.

“I take it from that you don’t want me driving?” she asked.

“No.” he said immediately.

“Ok I’ll tell AB that we are going for a walk. I’ll let Nic know we are coming.”

“Thank you.” He said gratefully.

“You ok Babe?” she asked in her usual husky sexy voice and he felt her love wash over him.

“I’ll be ok when I know you are safe.” He declared.

Belle laughed.

“Speak soon.” She promised disconnecting the call.

Aden looked at his phone for a minute before he put it back in his pocket. His eyes were drawn to the clock on the wall above the nurses station and he became fascinated with how slow the hands moved round before the double doors opened and two men walked through them.

“Dr Jefferies.” One called out.

“I’m Dr Jefferies.” Aden responded.

“Michael Lafferty.” The taller one said reaching out his hand.

Aden shook it and glanced at the other man.

“Dave Beckett. We have Id if you need to see it.” the other said after a moment taking out the hospital identification badge and showing that to Aden.

“Thanks.” Aden murmured.

“Can you take up to your car?” Michael asked.

Aden nodded.

“It’s in parking zone one.” Aden said leading them out. He glanced back at the men following him his mind wondering. He was thinking how easy it had been for William Gardner to infiltrate the hospital and staff it with one of his own doctors and possible a nurse prior to the abduction of Ella’s babies.

“It’s there.” he pointed.

“Keys sir?” Michael asked.

“I think it will be safer if you make a visual inspection first.” Aden mumbled trying to sound like Roman. “There have been instances where explosive devices have been used against my family.”

Michael nodded and reached in his pocket. He pulled out a mirror and moved to lay on the ground near the car.

“I don’t have the high tech stuff.” He muttered a faint tinge of colour on his face as he caught Dave looking at him. Angling the mirror so he could see under the car he used it to scan along the bottom of the vehicle. “Can’t see anything.” He murmured easing back and standing back up.

“So you carry a mirror in your pocket?” Dave murmured folding his arms across himself.

“Yup.” Michael said quietly. “And a comb. Never know when you might need to smarten up on the job.”

“Really?” Dave muttered.

“No of course not. I grabbed it from my locker when the boss told me to come out here and check the car. Figured it might come in handy.” Michael said glancing at Aden.

Dave shook his head before he too looked at Aden.

“Does it look as though anyone one been in it? Try not to get too close.”

Aden nodded and moved around the car. He looked through all the windows and shook his head before reaching the front of the car. He was about to say something when he noticed a small smudge on the front bonnet. He took a step closer and saw a fingerprint marring the smooth surface and he knew it wasn’t his.

“There.” he said slowly stepping back.

“Sir?” Michael asked moving to his side.

“Someone has opened the bonnet.” Aden said.

“You are sure?” Dave questioned.

Aden nodded again.

“I’m sure.” He told them.

“Ok we need to step away from the vehicle and phone in the professionals.” Michael told Dave.

“Sure you don’t want to explore it further?” Dave grinned.

“A bomb?” Michael queried. “Yeah I’ll just disarm it with a chewing gum wrapper and a button.”

He placed his hand on Aden’s arm and guided him away back to the hospital.

“We’ll call from here because we don’t know what kind of detonator may have been used."

“If there is a bomb.” Dave said slowly.

“Even if there isn’t we need to be cautious.” Michael said.

Aden frowned and glanced back at his car just as the explosion rent through the air. He felt the heat from the fireball and then the blast knocking him and the two guards back off their feet but he didn’t’ hear anything for a long moment then he heard ringing in his ears. He looked up and saw people talking to him and felt a strange detachment as he saw their lips move but no sound and then everything dimmed in slow motion and he felt his eyes drift shut as he drifted down into the blackness.

Chapter 122

Roman ushered the children inside the studio grinning as they dragged their feet.

“Looking pretty tired aren’t they?” Ella said from behind him.

“We should do that more often.” He turned and looked over his shoulder at her as he spoke.

Ella chuckled as they walked in through the door. She smiled broader when she saw the children move over to the sofas and collapse on them.

“What do you fancy for dinner?” Roman asked her.

Ella shrugged and moved Fleur to her other arm, jostling her a little in the process. She gave a small whimper and looked up frowningly at her mother.

“Hey.” Ella called softly.

“Hardcore.” Jacko called out walking in behind them. Pete was following behind, both men had a serious expression on their faces.

“Jacko you must have heard me mention food.” Roman said with a smile before he turned and looked at them. He sobered immediately and felt a jolt in the pit of his stomach. “What is it?” he asked them.

“Where is your phone?” Jacko asked.

Roman looked puzzled and put his hand in his pocket drawing out his mobile. He looked at it and grimaced.

“Flat battery.” He said.

Ella looked puzzled before she held out her hand and took the phone from him. Walking through to the bedroom she pulled it in her charger before heading back to the three men.

“Kids want to go to your room?” Ella called out calmly. “Come on Lily, Liam lets go for a naps.”

Lily looked over at her before climbing off the sofa. She gave Liam a look until he too moved and they toddled over to their mother. Ella grinned at them and walked into the nursery. She closed the door behind her carefully.

Roman watched her move out of the room before he gave Georgie and Sophie a glance trying not to grin as they reluctantly moved from the sofa and over to their bedroom, obviously sensing something was going on and wanted to listen in. He followed them and shut the door after they went in, listening for a moment before he opened it again.

“Dad!” Sammy cried out from the other side where he was trying to eavesdrop.

“Samuel.” Roman murmured.

“Busted.” Meggy said grinning at her brother.

“Kids do I need to talk about grounding and allowances?” Roman asked.

Sammy shot over to his bed and sat on it flushing as the others laughed at him.

“Ok.” Roman murmured closing the door once more. He walked over to the dinning table and sat down opposite Jacko and Pete.

“The diner burnt down today.” Pete said quickly.

Roman groaned and rubbed his eyes.

“Presumably him?” he asked slowly feeling the information sinking in past the initial numbness.

“There is more.” Jacko said glancing at Pete.

All three of them stopped talking and looked up when Ella came out of the nursery. She walked over to where they were sitting and took a vacant chair.

“The diner was burnt down.” Roman told her.

“God.” Ella gasped. “Was anyone hurt?”

“No it was empty.” Pete said before he glanced at Jacko and then Roman.

“What is it?” Roman asked picking up the signals.

“Aden’s car exploded.” Jacko said quickly.

“No!” Ella gasped.

“He was smart and called security to check it out but….” Jacko stopped watching curiously as Roman looked over at Ella an unreadable expression on his face.

“How bad is he?” Ella asked quickly.

“He sustained a cut to the head and is unconscious.” Pete said slowly.

“We need to go home.” Ella said looking at Roman.

“No the kids stay here.” He spoke past the lump in his throat.

“Roman our kids include Aden. We need to go home. The diner burning, god. We need to sort out insurance and make sure our friends are ok. We can’t hide out here congratulating ourselves on being safe. What is he going to do next to get to us?” Ella gasped as she looked at him.

“Do you think I’m going to be able to bear it if something happens to them?” Roman said looking at her. “They stay here. Mike and Danni can look after them.”

Ella shook her head as she stood and paced to the window.

“I’m taking them home Roman. I’m not going to be separated from them. We need to sort this out together.” Ella said before she looked at him. Her eyes were filled with tears and she blinked trying to ease her vision.

“Please Ella.” Roman murmured looking at her in appeal.

“Please what Roman? Wait here until they come and tell me it’s you?” Ella asked.

Roman stood and moved quickly to her side. He put his arms around her and held her for a moment feeling her shake.

“Ok we’ll go home.” He said softly. “I better check my phone.”

Ella nodded and eased away from him. She moved to the kitchen and put the kettle on before going to where she had put her handbag pulling out her phone. She saw missed calls and a number of texts. She hadn’t checked it since she had been on the climbing wall.

Roman watched her for a moment before he went into the bedroom. He saw his phone on the dresser and switched it on seeing messages pop up immediately on the screen. Scrolling through the menu he saw Nic had tried to call him too and groaned. Dialling her number first he swore when it went to voicemail and imagined that she would be at the hospital. He left a message telling her they were ok and at the studio pointing out they would be heading back soon and had heard the news. He hung up and checked the texts seeing more from him. He read through the familiar taunts with a scowl on his face before leaving his phone to finish its charge and heading back to the kitchen. He looked over at Ella.

“Nic’s been trying to get hold of us.” Ella said slowly.

“Yeah she left me messages.” He began.

“We need to find some way of ending this.” Ella told him quietly.

“The test results.” Roman murmured.

“Hardcore what are you thinking?” Jacko asked immediately. “Thought you’d decided against that.”

Roman and Ella shared a look.

“He’s not going to give up.” Ella said slowly.

“I know that.” Roman snapped out and felt Pete and Jacko looking at him.

“Then we do it.” Ella said slowly.

“If she ever finds out.” he began.

“We’ll sit down and explain it to her when she’s older so she knows we didn’t do it lightly.” Ella murmured.

“She’ll still be hurt.” He said his eyes meeting hers.

“Roman you tell me another way to stop this?” Ella asked him spreading her hands in appeal. “We do the DNA test and tell him we have the results via his lawyer.”

Jacko stood and folded his arms across his chest.

“That is not going to solve anything.” He stated. “Do you think that is what he wants?”

Roman looked at his old friend before looking back at Ella..

“No.” he said quietly. “He wants us broken.”

Ella nodded suddenly looking terrified.

“He knows that we support each other so he’s trying to take that away from us. More than that.”

“He wants us, me to suffer.” Ella finished.

Jacko paled as he looked at Pete.

“He’ll kill.” Pete murmured.

“He’s escalating.” Roman murmured. “The diner? Aden?”

Ella’s hands shook as she poured out the coffee focusing on the task she didn’t see Roman watching her a strange expression on his face. She put milk in before handing the drinks out. The final cup she took for herself as she moved to sit back at the table.

“We can keep talking about this until we drive ourselves crazy.” She said looking to Roman again. She watched him take a sip from his cup before she spoke again. “We need a plan of attack.”

“How can we attack him when we don’t even know where he is?” Roman murmured looking at her.

“We know he has money. Can’t we trace that in some way?” she said. “Have we found out anymore about the murder of the doctor.”

Roman shook his head.

“There is nothing we can do.” He said fatalistically.

“Hardcore.” Pete began with a glance at Jacko.

“No. I’m not going to sit her and plot and plan. I know what you are like Ella.” Roman said sounding bitter. “You’ll come up with something that puts you in danger to catch him.”

Ella’s eyes shot to his and she stood up shakily from the table before walking calmly to the bedroom and shutting the door quietly behind her.

“Hardcore.” Pete said slowly.

“You’ve seen the texts.” Roman muttered going over to the kitchen bench and pouring out more coffee for himself.

“Yes.” Jacko said glancing at Pete.

“Then you know he’s found out the Mark stuff.” Roman said slowly.

“Is that what this is about?” Jacko asked before he could stop himself.

Roman shook his head.

“He’s delving deeper into my file.” Roman muttered draining his second cup of coffee and placing the empty cup in the sink. “I don’t think I can take much more coming out.”

“Hardcore.” Jacko said quietly.

“No.” Roman murmured. “He wants to get at us? Well he’s succeeding. Coming after my family again? Trying to force us apart? Dragging up my record?” he paused and looked at Jacko. “Do you think Ella will stick by me if she finds out what I’ve done?”

“It was your job.” Jacko said unable to meet Roman’s gaze.

“To murder.” Roman said slowly. “She’s already called it murder once.”

“She loves you Hardcore. This, I don’t know what this is. Snapping at her. Getting mad. It’s like you are already accepting defeat. You never once gave up on us in the field.” Jacko muttered.

Roman shook his head and looked at the closed bedroom door.

“I need to feed the kids and work out when we are going back.” he said quietly.

“We’ll leave you to it.” Pete said standing up and looking over at Jacko. He saw the other man nod and they walked to the door. “We’ll be in touch,” Pete added before they walked out the door.

Roman watched the door close quietly before he moved over to the bedroom. He paused before opening the door and stepping inside. Ella was sitting on the bed her eyes red from crying.

“I can’t say I’m sorry because I’m not. I couldn’t bear anything else happening to you.” He said slowly.

“Don’t you dare try and turn what you said to me into something romantic. We both know there is more going on with you.” Ella snapped out to him.

“El.” He said quickly.

“It’s Aden isn’t it?” she muttered wiping again at the tears pouring down her face. “You think I have feelings for him.”

“Ella.” He muttered her name unable to stop himself from folding his arms across his chest and he gave a groan when her eyes flew to his at the betraying body language.

“You b****d.” She shouted at him. “How dare you? Aden is lying in a hospital bed because of us and all you are thinking about is yourself.”

“Ella.” Roman said again. “Do you honestly believe that I’m not worried about my son?”

She nodded glaring at him.

“Well thanks for your understanding.” He snapped out.

“You could have had my understanding had you not thought that I’m in love with someone else.” She ground out standing up and moving restlessly over to her dresser. She picked up a tissue and wiped at her eyes.

“So what now?” he asked warily.

“Now?” she asked her eyes meeting his in the mirror.

“Yes now. Are you going to leave me?” he asked.

“Are we that bad?” she said spinning around and looking at him.

“You tell me.” He said.

She shook her head.

“I need to be alone for a time. We should feed the children in a bit before we go home. They should sleep on the way back.”

Roman nodded and moved out of the bedroom. He closed the door quietly behind him and walked over to the far window near the dinning table. He looked out on the darkening sky. He felt his shoulder creep up as he tensed thinking of the way he’d deliberately isolated himself from his friends and his wife before he moved to the kitchen and began cooking. He was going to let William come for him, and then, well then it would be over.

Chapter 123

Ella looked over at Roman before she spoke.

“Drop me off at the hospital.” She told him.

He looked over at her for a fast second before focusing once more on the road biting the inside of his mouth not to say anything. Feeling her eyes on him he nodded before indicating to come off at the next junction.

“Why are we going this way?” Sammy asked from the back of the car.

“Just making a detour.” Roman murmured to his son surprised that his voice was so calm. He and Ella had barely spoken since the argument earlier and he still felt awful. Pulling up the car outside the front of the hospital he looked over at Ella and saw her deliberately look away from him before she undid her seatbelt.

“I’ll get a taxi home.” She told him.

Roman gave her another look and watched as she climbed out of the car and moved around it going into the hospital. He gave a small smile before starting up the car and moving away. The children needed to get home. He caught Sophie giving him a curious look through the rear view mirror and he flashed her a smile as he pulled away and headed home.

Ella walked though the hospital finding Nic and Geoff sitting outside Aden’s room.

“Ella.” Nic cried out.

“Hey.” She murmured.

“Where is my Dad?” Nic asked immediately looking round for Roman.

“He’s seeing to the children.” Ella excused him.

“Oh.” Nic said a sad expression on her face for a moment.

“Has there been any change?” Ella asked looking at Geoff.

“No.” he told her. “Belle is in with him.”

Ella nodded before she turned and knocked on the door. She stepped inside and moved over to where Belle was sitting taking hold of her hand.

“Is he being stubborn about getting up?” she asked the other woman.

Belle looked at her with her mouth dropping open in shock before she laughed feeling the release of tension that she badly needed.

“Yeah.” Belle said softly. “Hear that Jefferies time to get up you lazy slob.”

“Can’t believe you are ganging up on me when I’ve been blown up.” Aden said croakily.

Belle laughed in relief at hearing his voice before she started crying.

“Babe.” Aden said opening his eyes and trying to move on the bed so he could get to her.

“Aden stop.” Ella cried out. “Here.” She added taking Belle’s hand and placing it in Aden’s. He looked at his wife and sighed.

“Sorry Babe. I was being careful too.” He murmured before coughing.

Ella moved around the bed to the bedside cabinet and poured out some water into the beaker. She held the cup to his lips as he took a drink.

“There. Now I know you are ok I can leave you in the capable hands of your lovely wife.” She said giving Belle a smile.

“Beautiful wife.” Aden corrected looking over at Belle and smiling.

Ella smiled once more placing the beaker on the side before she eased out of the room. She moved over to Nic and took the girl into her arms.

“He’s awake.” She told her.

“Thank god.” Geoff murmured.

Nic gave him a look before she grinned and moved over to his side pressing a quick kiss to his cheek.

“What is Dad going to do about the diner?” Nic asked.

“We haven’t discussed it yet. I think we need to see Leah.” Ella said quietly trying to keep her tone even.

Nic nodded.

“Bit surprised Dad isn’t here.” She commented.

Ella gave her a smile and looked over at Geoff before she spoke.

“One of us needed to be with the kids.” She explained. “I escaped.” She added in a husky voice.

Nic laughed.

“Are yours ok?” Ella asked quickly.

“You’ll find them at your place. They are with Irene and Annie.” Geoff supplied.

“Great that’ll cheer Sophie up. I bet they are going through my make-up as we speak.”

Nic gave her a look and nodded once more before she looked at Geoff.

“Bet coming back to this is a bit of a shock.” Geoff said.

Ella shook her head and in a quiet voice told them about the landmine incident.

“God.” Nic said paling “My dad.”

“Nic.” Geoff said quietly.

“Oh Ella, it must have been awful. Reminding you of your brother and it could have been one of my brothers or sisters.” Nic said after a moment. “I bet you gave Dad hell for scaring you, eh?”

Ella nodded.

“Just a little.” Ella said a smile creeping on her face. “Anyway, I need to get home.” She murmured giving Nic another hug before turning and easing out of the hospital. She moved to the courtesy phone in the lobby and called a local taxi firm to collect her waiting outside until it came.

Roman moved through the house organising the kids before he managed to get into the kitchen and make some coffee. They had insisted on watching a movie until Ella got back so he left Georgie in charge of them.

“Hello Darl.” Irene called out walking in through the back door. Followed by Annie carrying a sleepy Mira.

“Lily?” Mira called out.

“She’s in there.” Roman told them. “Angel and Robbie with you?”

Annie nodded.

“Mira wanted to see Lily.” She explained.

“Go on through. The others might as well come over.” Roman said.

“Leah needs to talk to you.” Irene told him. “She’s pretty shaken up.”

“Has the report come through from the fire investigators?” Roman asked pouring drinks. He handed Irene a coffee before taking through a jug of juice and beakers into the lounge and putting on the coffee table.

“Would you like a drink Annie?” he asked the other woman.

“No thanks.” She said smiling as Mira and Lily were sitting together.

“Daddy.” Sophie began.

“Why don’t you go fetch them?” he told his daughter knowing that she was about to ask about Angel.

She grinned and sprang up running out of the door and over to the pool house. He grinned as he was reminded of a fairy princess by her sprinting through the garden, her hair flying out behind her before he moved back into the kitchen and over to Irene.

“Where is Ella?” Irene asked puzzled.

“She wanted to go to the hospital to check on Aden.” Roman explained slowly keeping his voice even despite the emotions going through him. “I got the kids.” He added hoping she wouldn’t question the explanation further.

Irene nodded sipping from her cup.

“George feels guilty that he can’t get home.” She said softly.

“He’s doesn’t need to this isn’t his problem.” Roman told her. “I’m sorry that its affected you and Leah.”

“Darl, you are family.” Irene said. “I’m sure Leah feels the same way.”

Roman looked at her and grinned.

“You better not be thinking what I think you are thinking because that wife of yours will find out.” Irene said looking at his grinning face.

“Would you class me and Leah as kissing cousins?” he asked with a smirk, referring to the brief relationship that he’d had with the other woman before Ella had come to the Bay.

“Oh you are going to be in so much trouble.” Irene predicted.

“I bet.” He murmured picking up his coffee. “How many times has the dinner needed a new home now?”

“A few.” Irene said smiling. “Been some good times in them.”

Roman nodded.

“Will be again.” He promised.

Irene sighed.

“I’m too old now.” She began.

“Irene, Colleen still does shifts surely you can’t be older than her. In fact I’m not sure there is anyone older than her.”

Irene burst out laughing.

“Well that has made me feel a whole lot better.” She groaned. “I remember you coming to the Bay. Wasn’t there something about wanting your own restaurant?”

“That was a long time ago.” He commented draining his cup.

“Might be the opportunity to go and do that.”

“Have you been speaking to my wife recently? She’s always trying to get me to do stuff.” He murmured with a grin.

“Well they say great minds think alike.” Irene told him. She placed her cup on the top before stroking his arm. “Don’t rebuild the diner unless it means something to you.”

“It does.” He promised her. “More than that I owe you and Leah for the acceptance you gave me when I got out. I’ve got savings, not a lot, but enough to put towards the diner.”

She smiled at him and moved through to the lounge sitting with Annie.

“Alright?” she asked her.

Annie nodded.

“Lily has taken over my babysitting duties.” She confided in the other woman.

Irene smiled looking over at the youngsters before she looked up as the door opened.

“Hello.” Ella called out.

“In here.” Roman murmured from the kitchen. “Want a drink?”

Ella smiled and walked over to him.

“Aden is awake. Nic and Geoff are at the hospital. They’ve been a bit worried about you.” She told him in a rush.

“I’ll give her a call in a while.” He said softly, his eyes eating up the sight of her. He forgot for a moment that he was trying to isolate himself from her and stroked her arm before he reached for the coffee pot and poured out a drink for her. “I’ve texted Miles and warned him to be careful. James is organising extra security.”

Ella nodded.

“We’ll keep them off school tomorrow.” She decided and saw him nod.

“Ok.” he said.

She lowered her voice.

“I think you should sleep on the sofa tonight.” She murmured. “I think it would be best to keep some distance between us for a while.”

He gave her a searching look and nodded trying to remember why he was doing this because the last thing he wanted was to be apart from her.

Ella waited a heartbeat wondering if he were going to say anything before she picked up her cup and moved through to the lounge sitting next to Irene.

“Nana Ella.” Mira called out rushing over to her.

“Hey little girl you want a cuddle?” she asked picking her up and hugging her. “I’ve just seen your Mummy and gave her a cuddle.”

“Mummy?” Mira called.

“She’ll be over to collect you soon.” Ella promised. “You been keeping Auntie Annie busy?”

“She play.” Mira told her. “Jai kissy face.”

“Oh really?” Ella murmured, turning to look at Annie.

Irene chuckled.

“Mira.” Annie called rolling her eyes as she blushed a bright red.

Chapter 124

Roman turned over and groaned. He wanted to know when he had become soft. Because he couldn’t get comfortable on the long sofa and he was also freezing cold. He’d settled on just using the throw, not wanting to alert the kids to the fact he was sleeping downstairs. He turned and burrowed in the back trying to get warm and gave up after a moment. Swinging his legs to the floor he stood and made his way up the stairs and into the bedroom.

“What want?” Ella mumbled.

“A cover.” He said going over to the wardrobe before he looked over on the bed.

“This one.” She questioned patting the bed.

“That would be the one. You really need two?” he asked her in a hushed whisper.

“Snugly.” She told him rolling over and burrowing down.

“Uh huh.” He muttered glaring at her back.

He frowned as he heard the tread on the floorboards outside the bedroom and moved over to the door.

“There’s a spare in the utility room.” she told him softly after a moment.

“Mama.” Lily cried pushing the door open.

“What is it Lily?” Ella asked clicking on the light and easing up in the bed.

“Monster.” Lily told her crying.

She ran over to the bed and lifted her arms up.

“Hey little girl.” Roman called out moving over to lift her up. He cuddled her for a moment frowning when she squirmed out of his hold.

“Want Mama.” She cried out.

“Better hand her over.” Ella said with a smile on her face.

Roman looked at her before he placed their daughter in his wife’s arms. She cradled Lily kissing the top of her head before wiping away her tears.

“Tell me about the monster.” Ella said softly.

She glanced up at Roman before patting the bed beside her and he met her gaze before he moved back around the bed and climbed in the other side. He immediately sighed when he started warming up.

“Your feet are cold.” Ella said quickly.

“Uh huh.” Roman murmured giving her a small smile.

He tried to force himself to remember why he was distancing himself from her but she snuggled down in the bed next to him with their baby daughter in her arms and he felt his heart thump in his chest. He told himself that he would have felt something similar if he was recovering from hypothermia but knew it hadn’t been that cold downstairs. His last waking thought was about telling himself not to cuddle up to her but within moments his arm snaked around her and he fell into a deep dreamless sleep.

He woke alone, her side of the bed was cold and he sighed with disappointment. Looking over to her side of the bed he saw a folded piece of paper on her bedside cabinet and he scooted over to pick it up to read.

“Leah called. Gone to talk to her at diner.” he read out before looking around the bedroom. He vaulted out of the bed and took off his clothes before heading into the en suite. A quick shower freshened him up and he pulled on clean clothes before heading down the stairs.

“Jacko.” He called out seeing his old friend there.

“The Mrs called us to come and look after the kids.” Jacko explained not making eye contact.

Roman nodded.

“I’ll be back in a bit.” He told him glancing over at the children sitting in the lounge playing before slipping out of the door. Climbing in his car he set off heading over to the diner. He gasped when he saw the burnt out shell. The smell of smoke was still on the air despite the proximity to the sea. He looked over and saw Ella standing with Leah and Irene and he grimaced before climbing out of the car and moving quickly over to them.

“Morning sleepy.” Leah called out.

“Sorry.” He said with a glance down to Fleur in the buggy.

“It’s ok. Ella told us what’s been happening.” Leah murmured. “And well this.” She added gesturing with her hand to the diner. “The insurance investigators were here this morning.”

Roman nodded understanding why Ella had come down now. He flashed her a grateful smile.

“The bad news is they will be ages paying out the settlement.” Irene said slowly.

“But they are going to pay?” he asked quickly.

Leah nodded.

“I’ve offered to loan the money for the rebuild.” Ella said looking down on the baby so she wasn’t looking at Roman.

“If the others are ok with that.” He said after a moment.

Ella’s head shot up and she looked at him.

“Really?” she asked.

He nodded before looking to the others.

“Is there anything we can salvage?” he said glancing back at the shell of the diner.

“Not much.” Leah said with a grimace. “Not sure I’d want to. Bad memories.”

Roman nodded looking at the ground for a moment.

“I do have another suggestion.” Ella said slowly.

“What?” Irene asked.

“There is a beach shack not too far along. You could set up a takeaway coffee place.” She murmured looking around their faces. “You’d be able to get some income while the building work is being done.”

“It’s worth checking out.” Leah said her voice brightening.

“We’d need capital.” Roman told them.

“Well.” Ella stopped and bit her lip flushing when she saw Roman smiling at her. “I… er…. Transferred your last few months wages from our joint account into your savings account. There should be enough there to put a deposit on the place and buy the equipment.” She confessed before biting her lip once more.

“Ella Harris.” He muttered with a groan.

“Lets go and look at it.” Leah suggested.

Ella nodded and turned the buggy around towards the direction of the place she had been talking about. Leah and Irene walked ahead of them and Roman moved to walk by her side.

“Anything else you did this morning?” he asked her.

“Not a lot, fed the kids, checked on all the animals. Bought a plane ticket.” She said before passing him the buggy and moving to catch up with Irene and Leah. He was forced to watch as the three women moved ahead on him on the path. He heard Leah’s excited chatter and couldn’t help the smile on his face as some of the guilt he’d felt on the diner’s destruction left him. Maybe this would be good for them. He paused looking over at the shack Ella had mention and gave a little groan.

“And how is that supposed to be any good?” he asked unable to stop himself.

“Men.” Leah muttered throwing him a look over her shoulder.

“Needs painting.” Irene said looking over it.

Ella reached into her pocket and pulled out a set of keys. She handed them to Leah flushing when she felt Roman’s eyes on her once more.

“Oh wife, can I have a word.” He murmured in a saccharine voice.

“Oh yeah and I almost forgot to mention. I had a word with Jai and it’s his company that are handling the property.” She said with a grin.

“Does our Annie know how lucky she is?” Irene asked.

“Nope.” Ella murmured.

Leah walked over to door and put the key in the lock. She opened the door and pushed it open groaning when it squeaked.

“Oil that. Straight away.” Irene said grinning as Leah and Ella laughed.

Roman stood outside watching at the three women moved inside and checked out the place. He grinned when he saw them come out and look at him as though thye had forgotten he was there.

“Yup, still here. So we are painting it, getting tables, serving ice cream and juices along with coffee and maybe putting a scattering of tables outside depending on permits.” He summarised the discussion they had just had.

Irene and Leah looked at one another and grinned.

“Pretty much.” Irene said grinning.

He sighed and moved the buggy to wear Ella was standing before he began moving around the building. He pushed at the wooden walls checking that the boards weren’t suffering from rot or damp before pacing out the dimensions of the room. He looked for electricity supply and found the fuse box surprised it was up to code before checking the power points.

“Happy?” Ella asked grinning up at him.

He looked at her and slowly nodded.

“You’d need the counter here.” He said pointing.

“If you have a long one then you can open up this window here as a serving hatch.” Ella murmured looking over Leah.

The other woman nodded.

“I think we could do it.” she said.

“We have paint and furniture that you could use so the only real expense would be equipment and supplies.” Ella added before biting her lip as she caught Roman looking at her.

“Furniture?” he asked.

“Well there is the extra patio furniture we have.” She told him. “Plus some chairs in the attic. Oh and I have curtains and tablecloths.” She added grinning at Leah’s nod.

“Packrat.” Roman said under his breath before he looked at the women. “Who exactly do you think is going to do the decorating?” he asked them.

Ella gave him a slow smile and he swore under his breath.

“Roman, not in front of the baby.” Leah told him off.

Roman laughed.

“We need to sit down and sort out money.” He told Irene and Leah. “Get the costs this would take to set up.”

Leah nodded.

“How about we get together at my place this afternoon?” she suggested with a glance at Irene and Roman.

“About half two.” Ella suggested.

Roman looked at her.

“That is when the kids go down for a nap and you can escape.” She pointed out to him.

“And what will you be doing?” he asked her immediately.

“Watching you look after the kids off course.” She murmured with a grin.

Irene chuckled.

“You know because you were fast asleep this morning when they all got up for breakfast.” She added.

“Er if this is going to be a domestic…” Leah began grinning at the look on Roman’s face.

He chuckled and held out his hand to Ella smiling broader as she held his hand and moved over to stand at his side.

“Half two is good.” He said softly.

“Ok see you there.” Leah said.

Ella paused and reached into her bag. She pulled out a sheaf of papers and handed them to Leah.

“Details of the property from Jai.” She explained.

“We’ll leave you now.” Roman said to them watching as the other women looked at the papers. He guided Ella back along the path his arm around her as she pushed the buggy in front of them.

“So.” He began.

“So you need to visit Aden.” She told him.

“I do, huh?” he asked.

“You have something for them.” she murmured smiling at the puzzled look on his face.

“Again, I do, huh?” he muttered giving her a meaningful look.

“Yup, because you know Aden has been saving up to take Belle away and he wants to do it now. So you’ve booked the tickets for them.”

“I have?” he asked putting his hand in his pocket and pulling out his wallet. He grinned when he saw the empty space where his credit card normally was before putting the wallet back.

“And why have I been so generous?” he asked her.

“Oh, for all the nasty stuff you’ve said to me recently. You wanted to apologise for the way you snapped at me the other day.” She murmured pausing and looking up at him.

“I do?” he asked again.

“Because you know there is nothing going on between Aden and myself, so the only reason I can think that you were so mean is that you wanted to distance us so that you could go do something stupid.”

“And when did you work that out?” he asked looking into her eyes.

“When you told me you loved me and begged me not to leave you.”

“I did what?” he muttered.

“Last night, when you went to sleep you started talking. Got very restless.” She told him.

“That why you let me sleep in this morning and got Jacko over?” he asked quietly.

Ella nodded.

“Why didn’t’ you tell me the dreams were back?” she added after a moment.

“Because I didn’t want you to feel you had to get better to prop me up.” He admitted. “They started when you were bad.”

Ella nodded before she began walking once more. She reached the spot where she had parked her car and moved to lift out Fleur taking a moment to hug her daughter.

“I do.” He said from behind her.

She smiled at him.

“Do what?” she asked.

“Love you.” He murmured moving quickly to hug her and their baby daughter. “So much.” He added with a sigh.

“I’ll have to remember that.” She said with a cheeky expression on her face.

“So I’m not going to get my credit card back?” he asked.

“I think I lent it to Nic for a shopping trip with Angel Sophie and Megs.” She said frowning.

“Oh no you didn’t.” he groaned.

Ella chuckled before placing Fleur in the car seat. She tucked a blanket around her and checked the fastening on the seat belt. She straightened up and closed the door before looking over at Roman.

“So we’re going to see Aden?” he asked and saw her nod.

“You should, don’t you think?” she asked him.

Roman sighed.

“You can’t shut us out or deny what we mean to you because you are crazily thinking that will somehow help you deal with William.” She told him in a whisper.

“El.” He breathed her name on a sigh.

She folded up the buggy and put it in the back of the car before turning and looking at him.

“I don’t have to tell you how much that hurt.” She said quietly.

He sighed and rubbed his face.

“So.” He said.

“So.” She murmured.

“I promise not to do anything that stupid again?” he asked her.

“Oh yeah, like I’m going to believe that one.” She shot back picking out her keys and throwing them at him. He caught them one handed and grinned.

“I’m driving?” he asked. “Shall I just ignore that I brought my car here too?”

“Are you arguing with me?” Ella asked climbing into the passenger seat.

“No Ma’am.” He said quickly saluting before he climbed into the car and started it up. He eased out of the parking space and drove them straight to the hospital. He glanced over at Ella and then chuckled when he felt her place her hand on his knee unable to stop himself putting his hand on top of hers. He pulled up in a parking space and turned off the engine. They glanced at each other before getting out of the car and moving to the back and opening Fleur’s door. Ella unclipped her daughters’ capsule and lifted it out.

“I’ll take her.” Roman offered.

Ella nodded and handed her over collecting the baby’s bag. Roman held his hand out to her and she passed that over you.

“You know that suites you. Have you ever thought about getting a handbag?” she murmured closing the car door.

“No dear.” He said meekly.

Ella giggled before she placed her hand in his and they walked into the hospital together. She led him over to Aden’s room knocking politely on the door before opening it.

“Come in.” Belle called.

Ella stepped through and moved over to the bed taking the spare chair.

“Roman.” Aden called brightening up. “Nic told me what happened.”

“Hey I should be glad to see you.” Roman murmured.

“We did what you wanted.” Ella said.

Aden chuckled and grinned at Belle.

“I’ve been sneaky.” He announced to her.

“What?” she asked her eyes shooting sparks at him.

“Well I’ve been putting some money aside because I wanted to take you on our very belated honeymoon.” He said reaching out his hand to her. “And well this kind of made me want to do it sooner.”

Belle took hold of his hand and sighed.

“We booked it for you.” Ella said reaching into her bag and handing Aden the envelope.

Aden smiled and passed it to Belle. His smile broadened as he saw her open the envelope and read the destination.

“Rome?” she asked breathlessly.

Aden nodded.

“But what about the kids?” she asked casting a look at his face.

“Amy-Belle and Kai are going to go see Toby. Brett is going with her and Irene has said she and Annie will look after Tyler.” Aden murmured. “Of course I would have loved to take them all but I really wanted to spend some time with just you.” He paused. “Well you and your camera.” He amended.

Belle sighed wiping tears from her eyes.

“You are an idiot Jefferies.” She told him leaning forward and kissing him.

“Yeah, but I’m your idiot.” He promised her.

He reached up and stroked her face.

“So what do you say Babe? Will you come away with me?” he asked.

“Of course I will.” She grinned and looked over at Ella. “Thank you.” She said to her.

“Don’t thank me! We only booked it.” she told her.

“Its wonderful.” Belle said reading the details. “Still we’d miss Kai.” She looked up at Aden catching him smirking. “And the other kids.” She added quickly.

Chapter 125

Ella looked over at Roman as she stretched and eased up from the sofa. He gave her a slow smile with it turning into a grin as she walked over to him, her hips wriggling in the slow sexy way that always turned him on. He caught hold of her waist and looked up from where he was seated at the table.

“Hello.” He murmured softly.

“Hello too.” She murmured her voice husky. “I was just dreaming of you.”

“Oh really.” He said.

She nodded and slowly licked her lips before she spoke again, knowing that his eyes were following the movement.

“It was one of those dreams.” She whispered huskily.

Roman ran his hands up her back and then back to her waist before lifting her to sit across his lap.

“Perhaps you should tell me a bit more about it?” he suggested.

Ella gave him a slow seductive smile before sliding one hand down his arm her fingers trailing over his bicep. She gave a little gasp when he flexed his arm muscle and giggled before leaning forward and whispering in his ear.

“Well that is some dream.” He said after a few minutes.

Ella leaned back and looked at him.

“Think you can do it?” she asked in that seductive voice he found thrilling.

“I’m certainly going to give it a damn good try.” He promised his voice husky

Ella giggled once more and eased off his lap walking away from him into the kitchen. She poured out a glass of red wine for him before getting a drink for herself and walked back to him placing the drinks on the table.

“So what have you been doing?” she asked him sitting back once more on his lap.

He put his arms around her and nodded to the papers on the table in front of them.

“Working out costs for doing the beach shack.” He said quietly.

“Is it an option?” Ella asked him.

“It could be. Depends on how long we would be doing it.”

Ella grinned and leaned forward once more.

“All night long.” She whispered in his ear.

Roman blushed and looked into her eyes.

“Behave.” He told her and heard her giggle again.

“Well it will take at least four to six months to get the diner operational I would imagine.” Ella said.

She looked at his papers and ran her eyes over the figures he had there.

“Don’t forget there is all that stuff we duplicated when we split up.” She told him. “Food processor, cups, set of knives.”

“How long do you think a domestic food processor will last?” he said smiling at her.

“Oh probably about a month.” Ella said. “A month that you don’t have to get another one.”

He kissed her.

“Is that to shut me up?” she asked him.

“No that is definitely because I love you.” He told her. “You’ve never taken an interest in the diner before.”

“That’s because it’s your thing.” Ella smiled at his expression.

“Pete quick.” Jacko called walking into the room.

“What?” Pete asked rushing forward. “Oh.”

“The other chairs must have been booby trapped. Luckily, they found the one chair that wasn’t.”

“Very funny.” Roman murmured.

“Want a beer?” Ella asked them.

Jacko looked at her and coughed making a show of covering his mouth with his hand.

“I’ll take that as a yes.” Ella said with a smile and eased up. She walked over to the fridge and took out a couple of beers handing them to the two men before taking her seat back on Roman’s lap.

“So any news?” She asked.

“None.” Jacko said quickly.

“Liar.” She replied. “I think I’ll go check on the children.”

“If they aren’t asleep then they are grounded.” Roman said in a stern voice.

Ella looked over at him from the doorway and grinned.

“Yeah right!” she murmured and continued heading out of the room.

“So.” Jacko murmured sitting down and looking over at Roman. “What the hell were you thinking Hardcore?”

Roman sighed and picked up his glass taking a drink.

“I didn’t want anymore of my friends or family to be hurt.” He said slowly looking at Pete and then Jacko.

“Got no choice.” Jacko said folding his arms. “We’re in this together. It’s Gardy.”

“No it’s his brother.” Roman murmured. “You don’t need to be involved in this mess.”

Pete sighed and sank down in a chair.

“We do.” He stated slowly. “We should have been there for you. Should have been honest about Mark. Reckon we cost you a lot covering it up.”

Jacko looked at Pete before looking back at Roman.

“What he said.” Jacko murmured taking a drink.

“Goes for James too.” Pete added after a moment.

“So.” Roman began his voice husky as the emotion started to get to him. “Where do we go from here?”

“In the kitchen.” Jacko said standing up and taking his empty bottle through. He stacked it on the side and got two beers out. He moved back to the table and sat down.

“Ut hum?” Pete murmured.

“S’pose you want one of these?” Jacko asked.

Pete nodded and looked daggers at the other man until he handed over a beer.

“That copper doesn’t like you drinking.” Jacko said to him.

Pete glared at him without saying anything.

“You do know that they had a thing don’t you?” Jacko asked Pete gesturing to Roman with his bottle.

“If you’ve finished.” Roman muttered a tinge of colour in his cheeks.

“Of course there is the fact he had a thing with most of the town’s female population. Good job Ella found him when she did ‘cause he was running out of women and with Miles haircut it was only a matter of time….” Jacko said with a straight face.

Roman glared at them both before he laughed.

“We haven’t got a plan.” Pete said after a moment. “It seems a bit unfair that we are at his mercy but he’s clever. The messages come from an internet texting service. It’s anonymous. We can’t trace him.”

“It’s like he’s got the file about Gardy’s arrest and has been improving on his campaign. The texts going to you instead of sending emails to the Mrs. The landmine because he knew your history. Targeting the kids because it’s your weak spot.” Jacko murmured.

“So he’s planning on writing the stalking for dummies handbook.” Roman said and took a long swallow of the wine. He stopped and looked over to the door trying to smile as Ella walked back in the room.

“Hey.” She said coming over to the table.

“I want to give you some things.” Pete said ignoring Roman’s sudden look at him.

“I like flowers.” Ella murmured. “And chocolates.”

“Sorry I just have a panic alarm and some tracking devices.”

“See no one does romance anymore.” Ella pouted before she sat on Roman’s lap again. She felt a slight tremor to his arm as he put it around her waist.

“Ella.” Pete murmured.

“I promise you all that I will take care.” She said softly, her words for Roman although she kept them general.

Pete and Jacko exchanged a look before drinking their beers.

“What?” Roman muttered.

“He’s going to come for her sooner or later.” Pete said quietly.

Ella nodded.

“No.” Roman muttered. “No.” he said again his eyes flying to Ella’s.

“He has too.” Ella told him calmly. “Gardy took me so he has too.”

“He’s not….” Roman began his voice wavering.

“It’s the only thing that’s left Hardcore.” Jacko said in a hushed voice. “In his play book he has to be better than you. The diner and Aden’s car were to lure you out because you didn’t come home after the incident at the park. To prove that he was smarter than you.”

Ella stroked Roman’s face her eyes looking deep into his.

“It will be ok.” she promised him.

He shook his head looking at Pete and then Jacko.

“Hell Hardcore, you think we want to say this to you? Five minutes ago you were ready to go off and sacrifice yourself just like always.”

“But it’s not you he wants.” Pete said in confirmation.

“It’s defeating you. Being better than you.” Ella said slowly. “Just like Gardy tried to do.”

Roman shuddered and clutched at Ella.

“I can’t let him…” he began.

“We don’t think you should stop him.” Jacko said draining his second beer. He was thankful for the shots of whisky Miles had poured out for them before they had set off to come and talk to Roman needing the Dutch, or in this case Scottish courage.

“We?” Roman asked glaring at Ella.

She nodded.

“It might be the only chance to find him.” she said softly. “And I need my little girl home.”

“When did you work all this out?” he asked scathingly.

“We didn’t.” Ella answered softly. “We didn’t plan this confrontation.” She clarified looking at the other two men before looking back at Roman.

“El.” He whispered.

She leaned forward and kissed him.

“It’s getting late. We should go up to bed.” She murmured. “Plenty of time to talk about this tomorrow.”

She eased up and walked out of the room, pausing at the door as Roman gave a slow nod and followed Ella out leaving the two men still seated at the table. He put his arm around her shoulders as they moved to the stairs.

“Besides.” She whispered. “You did promise me that you would help me with this dream.”

He chuckled and leaned down to kiss her.

“I love you.” He said his voice breaking on the words.

Ella looked at him.

“Love you too husband.”

Chapter 126

Ella sighed as she felt Roman’s hands massage her shoulders. He eased out the kinds in her muscles as she lay on the soft sheets.

“Ok?” he asked softly.

“Keep going slave.” Ella mumbled moving her head and laying it back on top of her folded arms.

“Yes Ma’am.” He murmured easing down and kissing the side of her neck.

“Did I give you permission to do that?” she asked rolling over in the bed and away from him.

“Sorry Ma’am.” He said lowering his head meekly.

Ella giggled.

“You are supposed to keep going you know.” He said to her. “It’s part of the fantasy.”

“Yeah, I’m not big on the whole fantasy bit. I just want to touch you and kiss you.”

Roman gave a little gasp and looked down as his flesh responded to the husky appeal in her vocie.

“Come here.” He told her.

“Come and get me.” She answered back.

He chuckled and reached for her falling forward on the bed as she jumped off. She stood by the side of the bed and eased off the satin nightdress letting it pool at her feet. Roman’s eyes followed the movement of the material downwards before he let his eyes slide back up her body. He smiled as he saw the tan lines on her silken skin before looking at her beautiful breasts. His gaze faltered for a moment before he finally looked up and into her eyes. He saw her grinning at him and he chuckled.

“I was distracted for a moment.” He murmured.

“I noticed.” She told him before she climbed on to the bed and crawled towards him. She stopped just in front of him and kissed him.

“You want it quick or slow?” she teased him trailing her fingers down his chest.

“Both.” He murmured.

“Quick and slow?”

“Quick as in I have to have you now and slow as in I’m not going to be satisfied with just one loving. I’m going to want you again and again and again.” He promised her.

Ella giggled before she kissed him. She felt his strong arms wrap around her waist and guide her to lay down on the bed where he began kissing her all over, trailing his fingers over the silk of her skin. He loved each little gasp and sigh, each little moan that passed her beautiful lips.

“I want you.” She told him.

“I want you too.” He said softly, his mouth millimetres from her skin. He watched as his breath drifted across the skin of her belly seeing the ripple of goosebumps rise up before he kissed her there.

“no.” she gasped out. “I want you now.”

Roman chuckled and eased up looking into her eyes.

“Now?” he asked.

She nodded.

“Please love me.” She asked in a sweet voice.

Roman moved over her reaching for protection. He sheathed himself before joining his body with hers feeling her legs wrap and tangle with his. He caught hold of her hands and pinned her arms to the bed entwining their fingers. Pleasure consumed them to drown in flames.

Ella eased Fleur back into her crib singing a soft lullaby to her. She could see her daughter’s eyes closing and she gently pulled up the soft pink blanket over the top of her before easing out of the room and back to bed. She grinned as Roman rolled over and looked at her before lifting the covers.

“You should be asleep.” She murmured.

Roman laughed.

“I was until I heard an angel singing.” He murmured with a gesture to the baby monitor and watched her blush.

“Very funny.” She muttered.

He reached out and tugged her hand pulling her back to bed. She smiled at him and climbed in beside him feeling the warmth from his body. She snuggled down in his arms resting her head on his shoulder.

“I love this.” She told him.

“What?”

“Snuggling with you.” She said placing her hand over his heart. She felt the steady beat of his heart against her hand and smiled broader.

“Well not being the least romantic I’m putting it down to the fact that we first started sleeping together in a single bed. There wasn’t a lot of room so we had to sleep close together.” He told her still smiling.

“Doesn’t account for the fact we’ve spent the past 13 years in a double bed.” She pointed out.

“Ah but by then we were already in the habit.” He murmured.

“So you er… snuggled with many women?” she asked and heard his gasp.

“You really expect me to answer that?” he muttered.

“Yes.” She said with a giggle. “I can only hit you a little right now so you might as well answer the question.”

“You tell me first.” He murmured. “You snuggle with your men?”

Ella sighed.

“Not really.” She said straight away. “I felt that was something special with you.”

“El.” He cried out turning his head and kissing her.

“I mean I did you know, but not often.”

“Still.” He smiled at her.

“Answer the question.” She said.

“Of course I snuggled. It was part of it.” he said. “A quick snuggle kept them happy.”

“You are a tart.” She accused.

Roman laughed.

“I’m a reformed tart.” He said in a husky voice and kissed her again.

Ella sighed moving a bit closer to him.

“Are you cold?” he asked her.

“Do I feel cold?”

“No you feel very hot to me.” He said rolling them over in the bed.

“Ouh you say the nicest things. Now what are you planning to do in the morning when the alarm goes off and you have to get the kids to school?” she asked him.

“That’s what we have Jacko for.” He murmured kissing her. “Are you saying I can’t handle it?”

“Well you are getting a bit old.” She said hiding her grin.

“I’m so going to spank you.” Roman told her looking into her eyes.

Ella laughed before Roman silenced her with another kiss.

“I like being in a double bed with you.” He murmured. “But it was a lot of fun in a single bed.”

She smiled at him before stroking his face.

“I remember.”

“Aside from those times you frightened the life out of me of course.” He added.

“And how exactly did I do that?” she asked him.

“Well there was the time you wanted to watch me ….er relieve my frustrations.” He said feeling his cheeks grow hot.

“Ah yes, I remember now.” She told him looking into his eyes. “I was curious and well with the kissing and the cuddling I could tell that you needed a little relief.” She smiled. “And I mean, I really could tell.”

Roman laughed.

“Still it wasn’t a request I’ve ever had before.” He paused. “Or since.”

“Well I think you enjoyed me watching you.”

“I did.” He said quietly. “Because these wonderful big eyes of yours went even bigger.”

Ella leaned forward and whispered in his ear.

“It turned me on.” She confessed.

Roman groaned.

“Now you tell me.” He muttered and heard her giggle.

“Have you relieved yourself since we’ve been married?” she asked him kissing him again.

“Yes.” He said slowly.

“Tell me when.” She said tightening her arms around him.

“El, what sort of question is this?”

“I’m interested.” She murmured.

“When you were pregnant with Sammy.” he said with a sigh.

“Ok.” she murmured.

“A couple of times after he was born because we weren’t sleeping together yet and I didn’t want you to …”

“Feel pressured.”

“Exactly.” He said.

“That all?”

“No there were a few more times.”

“Will you do it for me again sometime?” she asked him.

“I wasn’t expecting that.” He gasped out laughing.

Ella smiled and kissed him.

“I love you.” She told him. “I’m not hurt by that. It’s natural.”

“So why don’t you do it?” he asked her.

“Well my mother was inhibiting and I went to a girls boarding school.” She told him. “Of course I masturbated on occasion I just prefer to be with you when I experience that pleasure.”

“Makes me….”

“No Roman. We have a very loving amazing relationship and I’m ok with the fact that we’ve had different upbringings and approaches to lovemaking. Besides I trust you to share your body with only me now.”

“El?” he questioned.

She placed her hand on his face and looked deep into his eyes.

“I don’t think you slept with Martha. I think that she tricked you in some way and set us up and I think she did it because she saw me at the hospital having my scan and wanted to hurt us, hurt me for being pregnant again when she couldn’t get pregnant.”

“Oh god.” He cried out.

“That’s what you needed me to say isn’t it? Because it’s not been easy to get to that point for me.”

He pulled her closer to him and held her as a shudder went through him.

“I love you Roman.” Ella said again. “I’m never going to stop loving you. Even when I hate you I still love you.”

Roman eased back and looked deep into her eyes once more before he smiled.

“So we can do this.” She added. “We can get William and get our baby back from him and we can do this because there is no place he can take me that you won’t find. There is nothing he can do to me that you can’t heal. There is nothing he can take from us that we can’t get back. “

He nodded.

“I love you my wife, my lover, my soul mate.” He told her.

“Make love to me.” She begged him huskily.

“Always.” He said in the form of a vow. “Always going to love you.”

Chapter 127

Ella rolled over and found Roman watching her.

“Morning.” She mumbled with a blush. “I didn’t hear the alarm.”

“I had Jacko do the school run.” He said leaning down and kissing her.

“Uh huh.” She said pushing at his shoulders. “You can’t want more?”

Roman laughed.

“Of course.” He said softly smiling at her.

“Well go away and find someone else.” She muttered rolling back over.

“Like I would survive that.” He said softly in here ear.

Ella giggled the sound muffled by the covers she had pulled up.

“Go on then be quick I’ve got a lot to do today.” She told him rolling back over.

Roman laughed and kissed the end of her nose.

“Breakfast is downstairs.” He said.

“I don’t eat breakfast.” She groaned.

“Thought you might need something to keep your strength up.” He murmured stroking her face. “Besides Leah and Irene want to talk to us about the diner and the beach shack.”

“Us?” she asked.

He nodded.

“As you are now our silent partner.”

Ella looked at him and grinned.

“Silent?” she queried easing up in the bed and sitting up. She winced slightly as her back protested and stretched up easing out the kinks.

“Yeah, because you know I can’t deal with the three of you ganging up on me and because I don’t want arguments between us that can be avoided.” He said softly.

“Fine.” She said easing up in the bed. “Did you bring me a coffee?”

Roman grinned at her.

“No.” he admitted.

“And you want to avoid unnecessary arguments with me?” she queried.

He continued to smile at her before leaning over and kissing her. As she wound her arms around his neck and returned his kiss he found himself pushing her back down on the bed and running his hands over her body.

“Breakfast.” She reminded him breathlessly.

“It can wait.” He muttered and heard her giggling at him.

Ella walked though to the lounge and saw Roman sitting with Irene. She gave them both a smile before walking over to the kitchen and pouring out a coffee for herself. Roman stood and followed her standing in the archway.

“Morning.” He drawled out and made a show of looking at his watch. “Well…”

“Don’t start Mister I’m so not happy with you.” She muttered wagging her finger at him.

“Uh huh. That’s not the impression I got this morning, many times this morning.” He said grinning as she glared at him.

Ella reached up and moved her scarf showing him the lovebite he’d given her.

“See.” She muttered glaring at him.

“Now how did you get that?” he asked sounding innocent.

“Probably the same way I got these.” She ground out showing him the bruises on her arm.

“Oh El.” He gasped moving over to her side and holding her arm gently examining the bluish marks.

“Brute.” She accused.

He laughed and then gasped as she hit him in the stomach.

“Hey.” He protested.

“Breakfast.” She pointed out.

“Don’t you mean lunch?” he asked her.

Ella stepped forward and kissed him softly. She used her free hand to run a slow caress down his T shirt covered chest before placing it in his shorts and touching him intimately.

“El.” He gasped out shooting her a frantic look as she wrapped her hand around him and stroked him.

“I’ll just leave you in here to get my breakfast then.” She said stopping and moving back. He looked at her and shook his head. “Because you wouldn’t want me to not want to finish that later.”

“Witch.” He murmured.

Ella gave him an innocent smile before walking out of the kitchen and going over to Irene.

“Hello Darl.” The older woman grinned at her.

“Hey, so we are doing this?” Ella asked her.

“Seems so.” Irene said a note of excitement in her voice.

Ella smiled at her before walking over and checking on Fleur. She stroked her cheek and chuckled when her daughter waved her arms and legs.

“Hello baby.” Ella said leaning down and kissing the top of her head. “Is Jacko collecting Lily and Liam?” she called out to Roman with a glance at the clock.

“No.” Roman called out just as a knock at the door sounded.

He walked over to it and opened it up.

“Come in.” he called out to Leah.

“Hey.” Leah murmured walking through to the lounge. She smiled as she saw Ella standing near the baby before sitting herself next to Irene.

“Want a drink?” Ella asked.

“No thanks, I’m fine. Just had one before I came out.” Leah said.

Roman came back out of the kitchen and handed Ella a toasted sandwich smiling as she grinned up at him.

”Ok.” he said to Leah. “I’ve put down a list of things we would need to buy for the shack.”

He handed over a copy to both Leah and Irene.

“Seems about right.” Irene murmured.

“The thing is are we just going to do the beach shack temporarily.” He began and ignored Ella’s smile.

“Well I’ve been thinking about that.” Leah began looking at Irene. “The rent is reasonable enough for us to take it for a year.”

“Run the two businesses together?” Irene said.

“Yeah.” Roman nodded.

“You’d need to make it diverse enough to run at a profit for when the diner is back.” Ella said.

“Smoothies.” Roman said. “We do milkshakes and smoothies along with the ice cream bar and coffee shack.”

“Well that could work.” Irene said glancing at Leah.

“We’d have to have a lot of fresh produce and I know what you are like Roman Harris, you’d want the best.” Leah murmured.

He felt his cheeks grow warm and glanced at Ella.

“Hey,” he muttered at her expression.

“She don’t have to tell me I’ve been shopping with you.” Ella said grinning as he looked flustered.

“See this is why I want you to be silent.” He muttered.

“Like that is going to happen.” Irene grinned at Roman’s discomfort.

Ella chuckled.

“Get on with it.” she told him biting into her sandwich.

“I’ve put a menu together.” Roman said slowly trying no to look at Ella knowing she would be looking smug. “There are bits there that we would have had on the diner’s menu but if we separate the two.”

“So have you thought about what we would have instead of these?” Irene murmured.

Roman nodded and handed over a second menu sheet.

“We need to price these up.” Leah said. “The ingredients versus the cost we’d charge.”

Roman nodded.

“So what do you think?” he asked.

“It’s a goer for me.” Irene told him. “Leah?”

“I know this is really a horrible situation to be in but I think we’ve needed to do something like this to keep things fresh.” She began. “We can look at the Diner menu in slower time.”

Roman nodded once more.

Ella stood from her seat near the baby and kissed Roman’s cheek.

“The money is in the joint account. I suggest you transfer what you need to the diner account.”

“She doesn’t even know the costings does she?” Leah asked.

“She doesn’t need to know.” Roman murmured with a smile. “She’s just happy to help.”

Ella nodded and moved into the kitchen.

“But this is a few thousand.” Leah said.

Roman shrugged.

“She’s fine.” He promised her. “She’ll get a kick out of helping us set the shack up and getting the diner back.”

Leah nodded and grinned at him.

“Still must be nice to have a rich wife.”

“It’s a nightmare being married to him.” Ella called out walking back into the room. She had her handbag on her shoulder and was carrying Fleur’s bag. “I can’t buy anything I want to.”

Roman chuckled.

“And he insists on paying the bills.”

“I won’t be doing that for a while.” He said with a grimace.

Ella stroked his arm.

“It’s ok I got it covered until you are back on your feet.” She said softly.

He smiled at her.

“Going to get the babies?” he asked.

She nodded.

“I’ll take Fleur with me so you can talk some more.” She said kissing him. “Your recipe books are in the study.” She added reminding him. “Could have look through them.”

Roman nodded.

“I’ll go get some.” He said standing,

Ella grinned at Irene and Leah before she picked up Fleur and walked over to the door. She opened it up and walked out to her car placing her daughter in the back. She turned and saw Roman standing behind her.

“Can you pick up some flour?” he asked. “We’re out and I was thinking of cooking a quiche.”

Ella nodded and moved over to him.

“You ok?” she asked.

“I’m good.” He told her. “Thank you.”

“It’s nothing.” She murmured knowing he was thanking her for the money. “You’ll pay me back whenever.”

“I know but it means a lot that you have faith in me.” He added with a shrug.

She gave him another smile and walked back over to her car climbing behind the wheel and setting off. He watched her go before walking back into the house.

Ella watched him in the rear view mirror before he disappeared inside. She turned at the end of the driveway and began driving towards the nursery the babies went to reminding herself to pick up flour on the way back.

She never made it there.

Chapter 128

Nic climbed out of her car and moved round to the back opening the door for the children to get out. She helped Mira climb the step and went over to the door knocking once and opening the door.

“Hey anyone home?” she called out.

Roman moved out of the kitchen and looked over at Nic and then to Lily and Liam.

“Where is Ella?” he asked quickly.

Nic frowned.

“I don’t know I got to the nursery and they said no one had picked these two up.” She murmured before her face creased into a worried frown. “Dad?” she added remembering the time that Ella’s car had gone off the road and they had thought her dead for 6 months.

“Don’t panic yet.” He said pulling out his phone and dialling. He frowned himself when it went straight to Ella’s voicemail. Cutting the connection he phoned Jacko.

“Hardcore.” Jacko murmured answering the phone.

“Ella’s missing.” Roman murmured trying to keep the panic out of his voice as he said the words. He glanced at Nic and eased away to continue the conversation so she wouldn’t get upset.

“What happened? Conferencing Pete into the conversation.” Jacko said and Roman heard beeps as Jacko pressed keys.

“Hardcore.” Pete murmured. “What’s going on?”

“Ella is missing. She left 40 minutes ago to pick up the children from nursery.”

“Ok I’m checking the tracker we gave her.” Pete said.

“She had Fleur with her.” Roman added feeling his heart thumping in his chest in panic.

“Dad?” Nic said looking at him. “Not the baby too.”

“It’s ok Nic.” He said to her before turning his attention back to the call.

“There is no signal.” Pete murmured.

“Gentlemen tell me we haven’t lost them?” Roman asked forgetting that he was trying to keep Nic calm.

“Talk to you in a bit.” Pete said ringing off.

“I’m going to go drive the route to the nursery see if I can see anything.” Jacko told Roman. “Hang in there.”

“Easier said than done.” Roman muttered before disconnecting the call.

“Dad.” Nic said a note of panic in her voice. She looked at the children before the first tears started to fall.

“Stop that please Nic. We need to make sure the children are ok.” he asked her.

She looked at him and nodded.

“Now why don’t you go upstairs and take a few minutes to compose yourself? I’m going to make some coffee for us.” Roman tols her.

She nodded once more and walked over to the stairs going up them. Roman looked at the kids and smiled at them.

“Want a film on?” he asked.

Lily nodded and walked to the tv picking out her favourite film making Roman smile at her choice.

“Finding Nemo?” he asked her.

“Dory funny.” Lily grinned. “ Jus’ keep swimming.”

“Go on then.” Roman murmured with an exaggerated roll of his eyes. He grinned briefly when Lily giggled at him before she walked over and switched the tv on. He helped her put the disc in the player and settled all three children on the sofa with the throw over their legs before moving through to the kitchen and pouring out drinks for them.

“Dad.” Nic called moving down the stairs.

“In here.” He responded.

She walked through to the kitchen and he noticed at once that her eye make up had been carefully repaired meaning she had been crying.

“Nic.” He said softly.

“It’s ok.” she told him. “Are they for the babies?” she asked indicating the drinks.

Roman nodded before reaching into a cupboard and taking out a plate. He opened a packet of cookies and arranged them on it before taking that and one of the drinks through. Nic followed slowly behind with the other two drinks.

“Ta Dada.” Lily murmured.

Roman smiled and moved back into the kitchen returning a second later with a cup of coffee for Nic.

“I’m going to make some calls.” He said softly.

Nic nodded and watching him walking into the hallway. She heard the door of the study close and forced herself not to frown knowing the children were watching her.

Within the next hour the house became busy with people. Geoff had come over and sat with her or entertained the children. Miles had come over with Jacko and Pete. The latter two men moving into the study where hushed conversations took place. Then Danni and Mike turned up coming home from the studio.

Nic watched them all moving around through the house with a curious sense of detachment feeling déjà vu all over again. Looking up she realised that Geoff had spoken to her and she hadn’t heard him.

“Nicole.” He said softly the use of her full name from him strangely shocking.

“I’m ok.” she told him.

“No you aren’t.” he murmured. “You are in shock. I need to get you upstairs and lying down.”

She nodded and allowed him to help her up.

“I don’t think its going to….” She began and stopped aware of everyone looking at her. “help with me laying down.” she finished.

Geoff nodded at her knowing that wasn’t what she was going to say. He guided her out of the room and took her up to Meggy’s bedroom. He helped her lay down on the bed and looked into her frightened eyes.

“Nic?”

“She’s out there again. Frightened.” Nic murmured. “How is she going to get over this again?”

“She will.” Geoff said softly. “From the way Roman was I think it was expected that this was going to happen.”

Nic looked at him and shuddered.

“Geoff you saw her earlier this year. She was completely broken.” Nic protested. “How is she going to manage being taken by someone who looks like Gardy?”

“I don’t know Nic, but we love her so we will help her.” he said easing the cover over his wife. He was concerned by how pale she was and how cold. He rubbed her hands between his to warm them up before tucking them under the quilt.

“I love you.” She whispered.

“Good job.” He murmured and kissed her forehead before easing out of the room. He closed the door gently behind him before making his way down the stairs.

Ella looked over at William and felt a shiver of revulsion go through her.

“What do you want now?” she asked clutching Fleur to her.

“I thought it was about time to have a little chat.” He began.

Ella shook her head.

“Like I would be interested in anything you have to say. Is August here?” she asked.

He nodded and gave her a slow smile.

“Where?” She asked.

He pointed down the hallway.

“I need to look in your bag first.” He told her.

Ella thought of the tracking device in her handbag and frowned. She had no choice but to hand the bag over to him. He rustled through it taking out the panic alarm glancing at her. He found the tracker next before picking out her phone.

“Don’t.” she cried out. “I’ve got pictures on there.”

He glanced at her before removing the battery from her phone and dropping it back in her bag. He put the battery in his pocket and looked at her.

“Her bag.” He muttered.

Ella awkwardly handed over Fleur’s bag and saw him go through it. He nodded and handed it back.

“Where is she?” Ella asked again.

“Aren’t you going to ask me what I want with you?” William murmured.

“No.” Ella said looking him in the eyes despite the fact she felt like she was looking at Gardy.

“Ella you are so disappointing.” He murmured grinning at her. “I’ve taken you because…”

He stopped when she held up her hand.

“Whatever sick freak explanation you want to come up with you’ve taken me because you are an idiot.” She said feeling his eyes on her as he registered her words. “Do you think Roman is going to step back and let you get away with this? No he’s going to come after you and then he’s going to drop you at the police station so you can go sit in the same cell as your idiot brother.” She added in a snarl.

William looked at her before he lifted his hand and slapped her round the face. He saw his handprint on her face and smiled in satisfaction.

“Have you finished?” he asked coolly.

Ella looked at him before lowering her eyes.

“August?” she asked slowly.

He grabbed her free arm and walked with her down the hallway shoving her into a bedroom. All time stopped as she saw her other baby daughter for the first time. She walked over to her and placed Fleur in the cot next to her before picking up August for the first time. She didn’t notice William leaving the room and locking her in there.

Chapter 129

Ella pulled out clothes from Fleur’s bag and redressed August in them. She looked at the pair of them lying side by side and grinned. Roman was going to be in so much trouble with them as they were identical twins. Well not quite, August had two more freckles on her nose than Fleur and she wondered if he’d notice that. She left them for a moment before looking around the room she was in. The window was locked and she peered outside seeing that it was too high up to climb out off, plus she had nothing to put the babies in to carry them.

Giving a groan she walked over to her handbag and took out her phone placing that on the floor. Reaching to the bottom she unpicked the seam and took out the spare battery that she had sown into the lining. Putting that in her phone she made sure it was switched to silent, including ensuring that the vibrate mode was off. She waited another moment letting the phone settings sort themselves out before dialling.

“Hello.” Roman answered cautiously.

“I forgot to pick up your flour.” Ella said with a half smile, keeping her eye on the door.

“Look just because you’ve been kidnapped is no reason to slack off on things.” He murmured sighing with relief.

“Yeah, is Jacko tracking my phone signal?” she asked standing and walking over to the door.

“Yes.” Roman murmured. “How did you keep your phone?”

“I begged. He thought that he would be smart and take the battery out. I …er … forgot to tell him I had a second one stashed.” Ella said her voice breaking. “You going to come get me?” she asked.

“No. it’s pretty peaceful here without you.” Roman said back and heard her swear. “What do you think?”

“Sending you a pic.” She whispered. “Gotta go.”

“El.” Roman said urgently.

“”What?” she asked moving over to the door. She could hear footsteps the other side and frowned. Her heart was beating so loud she thought that Roman would hear it.

“There is a tracker in fleur’s bag. Can you switch it on?”

Ella nodded biting her lip.

“Gotta go.” She squeaked out cutting the connection. She buried the phone back in her handbag and placed that to one side before picking up Fleur and moving to the rocking chair with her. She sat down and hugged her daughter close just as the door opened.

Roman looked at his phone and opened the incoming picture. He grinned at first then swore.

“What’s up?” Jacko asked moving next to the other man and peering over his shoulder.

“They’re identical.” Roman muttered.

Jacko laughed.

“You is going to have some fun with them.” he promised.

Roman gave Jacko a look.

“Think Ella will be upset if we don’t bring them home?” he asked.

“Oh, she’ll be fine.” Jacko said trying to keep a straight face.

Roman grinned.

“Yeah, when she’s finished killing me.” He murmured.

He moved through the house and into the lounge smiling at the kids.

“Here.” He called to them.

He handed his phone to Sophie and laughed when she made an eek sound.

“They look alike.” She shouted excitedly.

“Yup.” Roman said.

“Let me see.” Meggy cried grabbing at the phone. “Oh wow.”

Georgie shook his head.

“So are you going to fetch them?” he asked.

Roman nodded.

“We’ll be going as soon as Pete gets here.” He said quietly.

“I want to go.” Georgie said quietly.

“I know but it will be better that you stay here.” Roman murmured trying not to look at Sophie remembering her blackmail of him before in a situation similar to this.

“We’re not kids anymore.” Georgie said. “We can help.”

Roman moved over to sit next to him.

“I know you can. But what would I tell your Mum if you get hurt in anyway?” he asked him.

“He has a point.” Sammy said with a grin.

“So you don’t mind facing a bad guy but you are scared of Mum?” Georgie muttered.

“Who would you rather face in a bad mood?” Roman asked him.

Georgie looked at him before he laughed.

“The bad guy.” He said finally.

“I know you love your mum and will do anything to help get her back but really this is something we need to do.” Roman told him. “Don’t think that I don’t know how grown up you’ve got lately. Kind of scary to realise that, means I’m getting older.”

“But not wiser.” Meggy told him.

“You young lady, stop listening to your mother.” Roman told her with a wag of his finger.

“Can you send this photo to my phone?” Sophie asked changing the subject.

Roman nodded and took his phone from her clicking on a few buttons. He smiled where he heard a beep form her pocket.

“You didn’t have your phone in your pocket at school did you?” he asked.

Sophie shook her head ignoring Meggy’s grin.

“Ok then.” He said easing up. “Make sure Danni feeds you.”

“Hey.” Danni grumbled.

Meggy giggled as she looked over at Danni’s face.

“Can we have Chinese?” she asked her.

Danni scowled.

“I might want to cook.” She told her.

Meggy giggled.

“Enough of that. Come on in the kitchen now. All of you.” Danni said standing up and moving into the other room. Sophie shot Roman a look of appeal but he pointed to the kitchen. She groaned and stood moving through to the other room with the others.

Moving back into the study he glanced at Mike and then Jacko.

“Ok?” he asked them.

“We’ve got a pinpoint on her location.” Jacko said.

“That’s good isn’t it?” he asked.

“Depends.” Jacko said earning a look from Mike.

“Is this one of those I shouldn’t kill him speeches?” Roman asked folding his arms across himself.

“Now Hardcore, you knows that Ella would be giving you the same speech.” Jacko defended.

“Yeah but she would threaten me with no sex until I give in.” Roman told the other man.

Jacko flushed.

“He’s joking.” Mike said a flush staining his own cheeks.

“He better be it’s enough that I hadda kiss him.” Jacko muttered turning away.

Roman laughed.

“We’ll give Charlie a call and let her know to meet us there.” he said looking at Mike. He saw his son nod and he grinned.

“Where is he keeping her?” he asked Jacko.

“It’s here.” Mike said pointing to a place on a map.

“That’s a residential area.” Roman muttered. “He’s been in the middle of us all the time?”

“Looks like it. Where better to hide than in plain sight?” Mike told him.

Jacko moved the laptop around and showed both men the area on the screen. He clicked a few times with the mouse and they watched as a real estate’s webpage came up.

“Want a virtual tour?” Jacko asked before clicking on the next link.

Roman watched the screen carefully.

“It’s on one floor.” He commented.

“Rabbit warren. Not much cover.” Mike added.

Roman nodded glancing at the others before focusing once more on the screen.

“Plenty of places for him to hide.” He murmured. “This thing do floorplans?”

Jacko grinned.

“Show us the back.” Mike asked.

Jacko looked at him.

“Are you joking right? I only got this far because Pete sent me the links.”

Mike laughed and moved over to the laptop. He moved around menus before showing the back garden of the house. The photo wasn’t taken at a good angle but each of the three men could see that the garden was enclosed with no signs of access other than going through other peoples property.

“Bummer.” Jacko muttered.

“Bummer?” Roman questioned raising an eyebrow as he looked at the other man.

“Your Meggy told me off for swearing.” Jacko admitted flushing bright red.

“She takes after Mum.” Mike nodded glancing at Roman.

Roman nodded before he pulled out his phone and handed that to Mike grinning at the look on Mike’s face.

“Identical?” he asked his Dad.

“Looks like it.” Roman confirmed.

Mike whistled.

“Like you don’t have enough trouble with your girls.”

“Thanks son.” He grinned at Mike. “When do I remind you that twins run in the family?”

Mike laughed.

“You should know you’ve had three sets of them.”

Roman gave him a glare.

They turned to look out of the window when a car pulled up out the front, relaxing when it Pete and James climbed out of it. They saw James take a bag out of the back and grinned at each other.

“Looks like he brought us some toys.” Jacko commented.

“Bagsy I get the rocket launcher.” Mike said and laughed as the other two men looked at him. “What?” he asked. “I’ve always wanted to say that line.”

“That is just the sort of thing that a Dad is proud of his son saying.” Roman murmured standing up and going over to the door. He opened it up and greeted the other two men.

“We ready for this?” Pete asked.

“More than ready.” Jacko answered the two men exchanged a look.

Archived