Broken

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 100

Ella walked into the house with Georgie. The two of them shared a look at the spotless surroundings and grinned.

“He makes a good Mum.” Georgie commented.

“Hey less of that.” Ella mock groaned. “Or I’ll get an inferiority complex.”

Georgie laughed and moved up the stairs heading for his room. Ella watched him go and moved into the kitchen. She caught sight of a note pinned to the fridge and grinned.

“Taken Marcus shopping. Dropped others off. Please cut the grass.” She read out. “Oh and don’t forget to do dinner.”

“What’s that?” Georgie asked walking up behind her.

“My instructions.” Ella grinned and handed over the piece of paper for her son to read.

“I can cut the grass.” He stated.

“Really? You want to have a go at it?” she asked him.

Georgie nodded.

“And well pizza for tea sounds good.”

“Did you have to mention pizza. Dude, I’m so hungry.” Ella groaned heading over to the fridge.

“Dude?” Georgie questioned. “You “duded” me?”

Ella nodded.

“Like totally.” She murmured.

“Bodacious!” Georgie murmured back.

Ella laughed and opened the fridge. She took out a can of soda and threw it at him grinning as he caught it one handed.

“Ok we have cheese.”

“Cheese is good.”

“And we have bread.”

“Good combination so far.” Georgie chuckled.

Ella looked deeper into the fridge and took out peppers placing them on the top.

“Interesting.” He murmured.

“Ok I want you to slice these and these onions for me,” Ella told him. “I’m going to go get changed.”

“Mum?” Georgie said panicked.

“I’m sure you can do it.” she told him smiling at him.

She placed a quick kiss on his cheek as she moved past and disappeared up the stairs racing along to her bedroom. She saw Roman had made the bed and placed a bunch of flowers in a vase on her dressing table. She smiled at them as she ran into the bathroom. It took five minutes to shower, wash her hair and get dressed before she ran back down the stairs. Slipping into the lounge she put on the stereo and turned up the volume. She caught Georgie grinning as she moved back into the kitchen.

“Are these ok?” he asked pointing to the onions and peppers chopped up on the chopping board.

“Brilliant.” Ella declared.

She took down the big cooking pan and placed it on the heat tossing the ingredients into it with a splash of oil.

“So what are we making?” he asked her.

“I fancy something spicy.” She told him.

“There is a joke there somewhere but at the risk of being grounded I’ll keep quiet.”

Ella giggled and moved to the fridge and grabbed a beer for herself. She took a long swallow and stirred the pan.

“Can I have a go at the grass?” he asked.

“Only if you put on trainers.” Ella said.

“Back to being Mum.” Georgie grinned. “And you were doing so well.”

“Dude.” Ella protested.

He shook his head and looked at her.

“Fine.” She said before folding her arms and looking at him.

“Ouh, Dad arms. Good recovery.” He murmured. “But not quite enough.”

Ella raised an eyebrow as she looked at him before slugging from her bottle. She walked over to the cupboard that held the booze and took out the whiskey pouring a measure into a glass and sipping from it.

“Now I’m impressed.” He told her.

Ella maintained her composure as she drank the fiery alcohol feeling it burn all the way down her throat. She supposed if she kept drinking she would get used to the taste or at least it would burn away any taste buds she had left.

Turning and looking at the pan on the stove she stirred the contents before added vegetarian mince from the freezer before adding tomatoes and a squirt of tomato puree. Next she put in garlic and chilli and grinning at Georgie she added a dash of curry powder.

“So that’s why yours are hotter than Dads.” He murmured.

She nodded before adding the contents of a tin of sweetcorn and kidney beans and leaving it to cook.

“Right then lets go do man stuff.” Ella said to him.

Georgie grinned and shot off. He changes his throngs to trainers and met her out back near the shed. She lifted aside some of the patio furniture and pulled out the lawn mower moving that on to the grass.

“Ok pull this up and press the red button.” She instructed him.

Georgie nodded and had a go grinned when it started.

“It’s a bit temperamental so give it a shove.”

Georgie gave her a look and pushed it on the grass feeling it stutter as he pushed it.

“Ok.” he muttered.

“See what we mean?” she asked him.

She walked with him as he pushed it down the garden making sure he was ok before she disappeared to check on the food. She gave the chilli a quick stir before putting some potatoes in the microwave to cook and heading back out to see Georgie’s progress.

“Slave labour Ma?” Mike asked coming across the garden and over to her.

“Of course.” She grinned at him and sat down on the veranda sipping from the whisky.

“And what the heck are you drinking?”

“It’s whisky.” She said to him.

Mike nodded.

“I actually thought it was paint stripper from the expression on your face. Is there a reason behind this?” he asked her picking up the glass and taking a sniff. “Single Malt.”

She gave him a grin.

“You Dad and I swapped days.” She murmured.

“Of course you did.” Mike said still puzzled.

“How you doing Dude?” Ella called out seeing Georgie struggle a bit.

“I’m cool.” He replied.

Mike grinned at her and jumped up running over to Georgie and helping him with the lawnmower.

Ella smiled as she watched the two brothers before she stood up and moved into the kitchen. Looking into the microwave she turned the potatoes over and put them on for more minutes cooking before checking on the chilli. She gave it a stir before getting out plates and putting the cooked potatoes on. She added chilli and grabbed cutlery taking them out to the veranda and putting them on a table.

Georgie caught sight of her and prodded Mike before pointing up the garden. He gave Georgie a smile and they walked up the garden.

“Say Ma.” Mike began.

“I have some for you.” She told him. “I figured when you came over you’d want some.”

Mike smiled at her before she disappeared inside and returned with his lunch and a bottle of beer.

“Can I have a beer?” Georgie asked.

“Yeah of course you can.” Ella told him.

“I can?” he asked in shock. “Wait,” he cried. “This is one of those things where you tell me yes then add on something so that makes it somehow impossible.”

Ella shook her head and moved inside. She delved into the fridge and took out the light beer and returned handing him the bottle.

“I knew there was a condition.” Georgie groaned.

“Am I giving you a beer?” Ella asked him.

“Yeah but its non-alcoholic.” He grumbled.

“Still beer dude.” She told him.

Georgie looked over at Mike.

“And how did you never kill her?” he asked.

“Oh pretty much the thought that she would come back and haunt me forever.” Mike said grinning at his brother.

“Totally with you on that one.” Georgie said in his best Surf speak.

Ella grinned and went to fetch her dinner. She sat opposite her two sons and ate her chilli.

“This is good.” Mike murmured. “I can never get mine just right.”

“I know the secret.” Georgie told him.

“And you are sworn to secrecy.” Ella warned.

“Dude.” Georgie said in a whisper. “So tell you later.”

“Cool.” Mike nodded.

Ella leaned back in her chair and shook her head.

“Mum!” Gabby shouted from the pool house.

Ella shot up.

“It worked.”

“What now?” Ella asked.

“Is that the baby?” Mike asked shooting up himself.

“Jacob is taking me to the hospital when he’s recovered.” Gabby called out. “from the shock, of course.”

“Er Mum do I want to know what worked?” Mike asked slowly.

Ella leaned over and whispered in his ear.

“What!” he gasped his eyes opening wide. “Really?” he eased back and looked at her. “Really?” he asked again.

Ella nodded.

“That is so cool.” He murmured.

“What?” Georgie asked.

Mike shook his head.

“When you are older.” He murmured seeing his Mum give him a look.

“I’ll tell you tonight.” Ella promised him. “Gabby!” she called out.

Gabby moved across the garden and towards them.

“Will you come with us please Mum?” she asked slowly rubbing her belly.

“Of course she will.” Mike answered for her.

“She can’t..” Georgie pointed out “She’s Dad today.”

Ella looked at him and grinned.

“You better explain that while I get my bag and phone ” Ella said to them disappearing inside.

“So Gabby you …” Mike began trailing off as he grew flustered.

“Yes Mike?” Gabby asked looking innocent.

He threw back his head and laughed.

“I still don’t understand.” Georgie said frustrated.

Gabby chuckled and pressed a kiss to her brothers head before catching hold of the table and leaning forward. She breathed in slowly and then out.

“Tell me.” She gasped. “About this Dad.” She paused and breathed out again. “Business.” She finished.

Mike moved over to her and rubbed her back in smooth circles.

“Dad stole Mum’s coffee so she snuck me out and we went surfing.” Georgie said quickly. “she told him that he had to do her day because he took her drink.”

Gabby laughed and eased up the contraction finishing.

“Typical Ella.” She told them. “Nice to see her back.”

Mike nodded.

“Ok I’m ready now.” Jacob said coming over to her side.

“My mum won’t be long.” Gabby told him.

“Good.” He said. “And thanks for the embarrassing broadcast back there.”

“No problem. Thanks for getting me pregnant.” Gabby grinned at him. “Really looking forward to the next few hours here.”

Jacob chuckled and leaned forward to kiss her.

“Ok lets go.” Ella said and looked at Mike.

“It’s cool Ma.” He promised. “I’ll look after him.” he added referring to his brother.

“I know but who’s going to keep an eye on you.”

“Cutting. Very cutting.” Mike said sucking in a breath.

Ella kissed his cheek before she went with Gabby and Jacob to the car and set off with Mike and Georgie watching them go.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 101

She hated hospitals. Hated the smell and the pale coloured walls and the nurses with the fake smiles. Ella looked up as Roman walked towards her.

“Hello.” She called out softly.

“How is she?” he asked immediately before kissing Ella and sitting next to her.

She smiled at him

“Doing as well as can be expected.” Ella quoted.

“Uh huh.” Roman grinned at her.

“Guess you’ve been in my position a fair few times.”

“You do like to keep me on my toes Mrs Harris.” He said softly. He handed her the cardigan he’d brought with him and she pulled it on. “The kids are desperate for news.”

Ella smiled.

“Not the only ones.” She said quietly glancing at the door of the room that Gabby was in giving birth.

“So how was your day?” he asked her.

“Changing the subject so I don’t start pacing?” Ella asked.

“Will it work?” he asked putting his arm around her. He grinned as she immediately snuggled closer.

“Probably not.” Ella muttered. “And I know you are smirking.”

“It wasn’t so much fun with you the other side of that door.” He said kissing the top of her head. “I only got to be with you for Sammy and Meggy.”

“I guess.” She murmured. “We could always have another one.”

“You are so joking.” He muttered. “and so sleeping alone tonight.”

Ella looked at him and pulled his head down and kissed him.

“I know.” She said quietly. “Enough kids. Can’t help that little piece of me that wants another one. Doesn’t mean that I’m plotting anything though.”

“Good. I want my wife for a bit not another baby.” He said kissing her back.

“Is there a reason you two are hanging around in maternity?” Aden walked over and asked them.

Ella giggled.

“Aren’t you going to congratulate us?” she asked him.

“What?” Aden gasped out looking at them. “You aren’t pregnant again?”

Roman laughed at the look on the other mans face.

“No Gabby is in labour.” He said giving Ella a look.

“Phew.” Aden muttered.

Roman laughed at him.

“So you don’t think we should have another one then?” he asked Aden a teasing glint in his eye.

“You want a medical opinion or a personal one?” Aden shot back.

“Depends are you on duty tonight Doctor?” Roman asked him.

Aden nodded.

“I’ve just been to see my grandson.”

“Ah.” Ella grinned. “I saw him earlier. Kai is a wonderful name.”

“I’ll tell Amy-Belle you said so.” Aden murmured.

“We’ve got lots of stuff for her. A lot of Liam’s clothes.” Ella said grinning.

“Are you sure you won’t be needing them again?” Aden asked grinning at the look on Roman’s face as he said it.

“Er if anyone is interested it’s a girl!” Jacob came out the room and interrupted them.

“I have another granddaughter.” Ella said grinning as she shot up and went over to hug Jacob.

Aden smiled at her.

“Congrats Jacob.” He murmured standing up and shaking the other mans’ hand.

“Seriously don’t congratulate me I didn’t do the work.” Jacob told him.

“Is Gabby ok?” Ella asked.

“She’s amazing.” Jacob told them with awe in his voice.

Roman laughed.

“It’s not too late we can have another one.” Ella whispered to him and saw his smile drop.

“Ella Harris.” Roman muttered before grinning at her.

“When can we see her?” Ella asked.

“In a few minutes.” Jacob murmured. “And I have orders to ring Sophie and tell her.” he added giving Ella a look as though asking permission.

Ella pulled out her phone and dialled handing it over to him.

“Hey Sophie.” He said when the call connected.

“Jacob?” Sophie asked puzzled then realised why he would be calling. “Shut up everyone.” She called out. “Has she had the baby? It was a girl wasn’t it? I know it was. Is she alright? Can I see her? Can I talk to her?”

“Er Sophie how about you take a deep breath.” Jacob said chuckling.

Ella laughed and caught Roman looking at her. She smiled up at him before kissing his cheek.

“You were never like that?” he said to her.

“Totally was.” Ella grinned.

“Sophie Gabby is fine. It’s a girl and she’s perfect. A little angel. Looks just like her Mum including the freckles on her nose.” Jacob told her.

“I knew it would be a girl. Here’s Danni.” Sophie said handing over her phone.

“Jacob.” Danni murmured. “Everything go ok?”

“Yes it did. Both are ok. Gabby told me to tell you to hurry up she wants a cousin for the baby.” Jacob told her

Danni grimaced looking over at Mike the other side of the room. He was holding Fleur and giving her a bottle looking strangely comfortable with a baby in his arms.

“No chance but you can tell her it was a good try.” She said into the phone.

“Well I have to go I’ve got some grandparents here that want to see her. We’ll be coming home tomorrow so you can all get a cuddle.” Jacob murmured softly and disconnected the call after they’d said goodbyes and handed the phone back to Ella.

“Thanks.” He told her.

“No worries.” Ella said.

Jacob nodded and disappeared back into the room before opening the door and poking his head back out.

“Want to come in?” he asked them.

“I think that might be a yes.” Roman murmured as Ella took a step forward. She glanced at him before walking into the room.

“Hey Mum.” Gabby called sleepily. “You are going to help me aren’t you?” she asked.

“Of course she is.” Roman said. “Try and stop her.”

Ella glared at him for a moment before she went over to her daughter.

“Oh Gabby she is beautiful.” Ella said softly. “Absolutely beautiful.”

Roman smiled.

“She is a cutie.” He told Jacob, watching the other man beam with pride.

Gabby chuckled at the look on his face before handing the baby to her Mum.

“She’s a good weight.” Ella said.

“Tell me about it.” Gabby groaned rolling her eyes.

Ella laughed.

“So what are you going to call her?” Roman asked.

Ella grinned and handed her over to him watching him smile as he looked down at his new granddaughter.

“She’s got my eyes.” He said in surprise.

Ella laughed.

“We’re going to call her Laura Sophie.” Gabby murmured.

Ella felt herself go cold all over. She looked over at Roman hearing a roaring in her head, she blinked and tried to say something before falling slow motion to the floor in a dead faint.

“Mum.” Gabby called out.

“Ella.” Roman muttered.

He moved over to Gabby and gave her the baby before bending down and seeing to Ella.

“Mum.” Gabby said again.

Roman looked up at her.

“It’s probably because she hasn’t eaten.” He told his daughter trying to stop her worrying as he lifted Ella up off the floor and carried her outside.

“Roman.” Aden called out rushing down the corridor to them.

“She just collapsed.” Roman said.

“Right bring her through here.” Aden directed.

Roman moved quickly carrying Ella into a room and placing her on to a bed. He looked at her seeing her dead white face and hearing her shallow breathing.

“Has she eaten today?” Aden asked focusing the other man.

“Not much.” Roman said willing her to wake up.

Aden took hold of her wrist and took her pulse. He glanced at Roman before he spoke.

“Could she be pregnant?” he asked the other man.

Roman shook his head but the tiny niggle of doubt crept in.

“I don’t know.” He confessed. “We’ve been careful but there was a chance.”

“Ok Roman I think you need to wait outside.” Aden said softly.

“I can’t.” Roman muttered.

“You can and will. I have to focus on Ella and not you.” Aden pointed out in an even tone.

Roman gave him a look and reluctantly moved outside. He saw Jacob waiting in the corridor and pinned a smile on his face.

“Aden is looking after her. It’s probably low blood sugar.” He told Jacob.

The other man nodded slowly and moved back into Gabby’s room. He heard the murmur of voices before he moved over to nearby seats and sank down into it.

Aden reached for the smelling salts and broke the little capsule under Ella’s nose activating the vile smell. He grinned as she turned her head away and groaned.

“Welcome back.” He said softly.

“What happened?” Ella gasped.

“You fainted.” Aden murmured. “I want to take your blood pressure and then take some bloods for testing.”

“I’m fine.” Ella protested.

Aden raised an eyebrow as he looked at her.

“When did you get your medical degree?” he asked her. “Your husband seems to think that you can’t be pregnant.”

Ella nodded.

“I’m not.” She murmured.

“I want to take bloods to be on the safe side.” Aden said.

Ella swung her legs off the bed and eased up slowly. She held her arm outstretched.

Aden pulled on a pair of gloves and took out the necessary objects for the blood test. He took the needle out and glanced at Ella seeing her pale again.

“Not turned into a wuss have you?” he asked her distracted her while he put the needle into her arm and found the vein.

“Wuss?” Ella asked him scathingly. “Let me see the last time I was here I had my babies kidnapped and I was told that I’d been given a hysterectomy.”

Aden glanced at her before he completed the tests.

“All done.” He told her.

“I’m not pregnant.” Ella told him.

“We’ll just confirm that.” Aden grinned. “And check for anaemia and viruses.”

She nodded glancing down as she saw him place a plaster on her arm.

“So what do you think made you faint?” he asked.

Ella shrugged.

“Can I go back to Gabby now I don’t want her to worry.”

Aden nodded.

“Go on then.” He said. “I’ll give you a call when the results are in.”

“Aden.” Ella said softly.

“It’s ok.” he told her.

“No I shouldn’t take it out on you or Rachel.” Ella murmured. “It’s not like either of you are responsible.”

“We should have made sure it didn’t happen Ella.” Aden told her a note of anger running through his voice.

“Hey.” Ella jumped off the examination bed and ran over to where Aden was standing. She placed her hand on his arm. “You’ve always looked out for me Aden. Always protected me. Don’t beat yourself up ok.”

He looked at her for a long moment, their eyes meeting before Aden stepped back and nodded abruptly. Ella pulled her hand away and folded her arms across herself.

“Can I go?” she asked in a shaky voice.

Aden nodded not speaking.

Ella gave him a quick look before opening the door and going over to Roman. She thought she heard a sigh but put it down to the noise of the door closing behind her. It was better that way.

“El.” Roman said springing up and going over to her.

“I’m fine. Sorry for scaring you.”

“What made you faint?” he asked her.

“I’ll tell you in a minute I need to see Gabby.” She said and watched Roman nod.

They walked over to Gabby’s room and went inside.

“Mum.” Gabby called out.

“Sorry.” Ella said.

Jacob sprang up form the seat by the bed and gestured for Ella to take it. She nodded and moved over to it sitting down gratefully. Roman stood next to her.

“That is a lovely name but can you choose another one.” Ella said.

Gabby and Jacob exchanged a look.

“We thought you’d like it because it’s one of your names.” Gabby said puzzled.

“I do. I really appreciate it.” Ella took a deep breath. “When I was pregnant with Sophie and Georgie I fell and went into labour. They rushed me into hospital and I died.”

“Mum?” Gabby said looking down at her baby.

“My heart stopped three times and they couldn’t stop the bleeding.” Ella said taking a breath and looking at Roman. He nodded encouragement and she continued the story. “I had out of body experiences or dreams I don’t know how you want to interpret them. Well anyway Sophie nearly didn’t make it but Aden saved her life. If I, well it was touch and go but if I wasn’t around they were going to call her Laura.”

“What is this mumbo jumbo? Are you trying to scare us?” Jacob shot out.

“I dreamt I was with her.” Roman told him. “Because of the attack and everything that happened we never talked about the twins birth until after Meggy was born. She never told me the full details of what she saw but I knew some of it anyway.”

Jacob shook his head and folded his arms.

“So I’m going to please ask you to reconsider her name.” Ella said to Gabby her eyes imploring her. “When you said Laura I just felt a whole load of dread descend on me.”

“We’ll have a talk and see what we come up with.” Gabby told her.

“You really believe this?” Jacob scoffed looking at his wife. “We agreed Laura was her name.”

Gabby sat up in the bed and put her hand out to him.

“If she is such a gifted psychic why didn’t she know you were out there for so long?” Jacob muttered.

Ella stood up and moved over to the bed. She kissed Gabby on the cheek before moving out of the room. Roman looked at Jacob before he followed Ella.

“Now look what you’ve done.” Gabby muttered.

“Look what I’ve done? I didn’t go out of my way to upset you and for what? Mumbo Jumbo.”

Ella rushed down the corridor shutting out the argument feeling tears pouring down her face.

“El.” Roman called out chasing her. He caught up with her near the doors and gave her handbag. She nodded accepting it from him.

“I just made a fool of myself for nothing. I upset Gabby.” She cried out.

“Not for nothing.” Roman said. ”Not for you to react like that.”

“Maybe with everything else going on I’m just over sensitive.” She said.

“Maybe.” He said peacefully.

“But you don’t think so.” She said looking up at him.

Roman shook his head.

“You are part witch after all.” He said. “Come on lets get you home and fed.”

Ella nodded and walked with him over to the car.

Chapter 102

Ella walked tiredly into the house and smiled as the kids ran over to her. She bent down and hugged all of them grinning at Marcus, who was standing a little way off. She gestured to him and he ran over to her for a hug too.

“Tell us absolutely everything!” Sophie demanded.

“Everything?” Ella asked.

Sophie nodded excitedly.

“Well the earth was formed after a big bang and when it cooled down dinosaurs roamed the earth. After extreme climate changes and numerous ice ages, that some people believed was caused by a large meteor hitting the earth, they died out. Mammals evolved to be the dominant species.”

“Mother!” Sophie interrupted her.

“Well you said tell you everything.” Ella pointed out and grinned as Sophie rolled her eyes before she laughed. The other kids joining in.

“Thank god you stopped before you started reciting Shakespeare.” Mike called from the lounge.

Ella eased up and walked through seeing Liam and Lily asleep on one of the sofas and Mike holding Fleur. Danni was seated at the table with a pile of books around her.

“And why aren’t they in bed?” Ella asked in a soft tone of voice.

“Because they wouldn’t go up without seeing you.” Mike told her. “Gabby ok?”

Ella nodded.

“She did great.” She told them all.

“The baby is lovely.” Roman said.

Ella looked at Roamn.

“See how bad a photographer I am I didn’t even snap a photo of her.” Ella said guiltily.

Roman gave her a look.

“I’m sure fainting had nothing to do with that.” He blurted out before remembering the children gathered around them. Sammy immediately ran over to her side.

“Maybe if you fed me?” Ella said calmly.

“That a hint?” Roman asked.

Ella nodded.

“Can I get a drink too? I think some champagne is in order.”

Mike chuckled.

“I put a couple of bottles in the fridge.” He told her.

Ella nodded and kissed the top of Sammy’s head before going over to Mike and looking at her daughter.

“She’s asleep.”

“I know.” Mike whispered. “I’m making sure that she stays that way.”

Ella nodded and walked over to Danni.

“How are you?” she asked her.

“Swamped.” Danni muttered. “I have exams coming up and four papers to write.”

“Probably not the idea time to bring a baby home.” Ella said softly. “Why don’t you go to the studio? You can get some peace.”

Mike looked over at them before easing up from his seat and walking over to the crib. He very carefully placed Fleur in her crib before walking over to where Danni was.

“Sounds like a plan.” He told her. “Will it help you catch up?”

Danni looked at him a strange expression on her face as she nodded.

“You could take your stuff with you on Monday and head straight there after college.” He added.

Danni nodded again.

Mike gave her a long look before he went over to her and kissed her passionately, hearing a cat call coming from behind him.

“What was that for?” Danni asked touching her lips.

“Just wanted to make sure you knew I wasn’t getting rid of you.” He whispered close to her ear before straightening up and meeting her gaze.

Ella turned to see Roman heading towards then with the glasses. He handed one to her and then Danni’s and Mike’s before heading back into the kitchen. He was back a second later handing out Buck’s Fizz to Sophie and Georgie who grinned at him.

“The others too.” Ella told him.

Roman nodded before kissing her and then heading back into the kitchen. He returned a moment later with drinks for Sammy, Meggy and Marcus. Ella smiled at them as they looked at each other and grinned. Roman glanced at her and walked into the kitchen fetching his glass.

“I think we should have a toast.” Roman said.

Ella nodded and moved over to his side.

“To new babies.” She said softly. “May they grow up better than the lot we have now.”

“Hey!” Georgie muttered.

Mike chuckled before raising his glass.

“How about to family?” he murmured. “and to love.”

Ella nodded.

“To family.” She said indicating all the children. And to love.” She added turning and looking at Roman.

He sipped form his glass before leaning down and kissing her.

“To love.” He said against her lips.

“Yuk!” Meggy called out.

Ella grinned and gave Roman another quick peck before she looked over at the kids.

“Can I have you get into your PJs please. You can come back down for another half hour if you are quick and quiet.”

Mike chuckled at them running out of the room and up the stairs. He went over to Danni’s side and eased into a seat next to her.

“Why don’t you put the books away for tonight?” he suggested. “Then start fresh in the morning. I’ll go out and give you the house to yourself.”

Danni opened her mouth to say something to him and stopped looking at the books. She gave a quick nod and began putting her things away.

Ella watched them before placing her drink down and going over to Lily. She woke her daughter gently.

“Mama?” Lily asked sleepily.

“Yes baby girl it’s Mama. Did you have a good day with Dada and Mike?” Ella asked as she picked her up and cuddled her.

“Yes.” Lily said. “Miss Mama.” She added lisping.

Ella smiled.

“I missed my Lily girl and now it’s time to take you to bed.”

“Liam.” Lily called out.

“Lily first them Mama get Liam.” Ella explained.

“K’s.” Lily said resting her head on Ella’s shoulder and closing her eyes.

Mike smiled watching Lily being carried out of the room.

“How come there was no screaming?” Danni muttered rubbing her temples.

“She has the magic touch.” Mike commented. “You know I’m easy don’t you.”

“What?” Danni gasped out.

“Kids. No kids. Kids now. Kids when your ready. Adopting or fostering. Anything you decide is fine by me.” He told her taking hold of her hand.

“Mike it’s not been the ..” she stopped as Ella came back in.

Ella smiled over at them before turning her attention to Liam. She bent down and woke him before picking him up and hugging him to her.

“Mama?” he asked.

“Yes baby boy. Mama’s taking you to bed.” She said kissing him.

“Lils?” he asked.

Mike chuckled at him before looking back at Danni.

“Yup, Mama isn’t as strong as Dada so she had to take you one at a time.” Ella said to him as she carried him out of the room.

Mike turned and looked at Danni.

“I could believe that you meant that Mike but I see you with your brothers and sisters.” Danni told him. “You spent half the night with Fleur in your arms.”

“Ok. Separate issue.” Mike said folding his arms. “Quote, Mike it’s not been the. End quote.”

Danni leaned towards him.

“I need to be sure before I marry you.” She muttered.

“Sure of what?” he asked her.

“That it’s the right thing to do.” She snapped glaring at him. “Aren’t you supposed to storm out now and….”

Mike smiled at her before leaning forward and kissing her.

“I think that a break will do us good.” He said quietly.

She glared at him some more.

“Now you are being Roman and just telling me what you think I need to hear.”

“I do that?” Roman asked from the archway.

Danni blushed and looked at him.

“Although he is doing the arm thing.” Roman murmured putting her out of her misery.

Sophie and Georgie came running back into the room changed into their nightclothes.

“You were quick.” Mike grinned at them.

Danni blew out a breath between taut lips causing Mike to turn and look at her.

“How can you say what you just said when you are like that with them? It’s obvious you love kids.” She muttered to him.

“I love my brothers and sisters.” Mike said quietly. “I’m grateful that they came along because when Mum was told not to have kids a part of her died. As much as she filled her life with her photography, with being a wife and being my Mum there was something broken inside of her that was only mended when she had kids.”

“Mike?” Danni murmured tearfully.

“And you know what I think Lily is probably my favourite because it wasn’t until she came along that Mum started smiling properly again after losing Francesca. “ he added. “Do I think that having so many kids is nuts? Absolutely. But with my parents I know that there is enough love to go round. Of course I would like kids but it depends on the woman I love and whether she wants them. And then of course we may not be able to have them.”

“Mike do you want to take the conversation somewhere else?” Ella asked.

“Lily is your favourite?” Sammy muttered.

Mike looked over at his brother.

“Well she is until she realises she can con pocket money out of me.” Mike said to him.

Sammy grinned and went over to him.

“Mike….” he said.

“How much?” Mike asked raising his eyebrows.

Sammy grinned and hugged him.

“Ok you lot I think you’ve had your extra time. Finish your drinks.” Ella said sinking on to the sofa. Sophie moved to sit next to her smiling as Ella put her arm around her.

“Is what Mike said true?” she asked.

“Told you babes you are all my lovely miracles.” Ella said kissing the top of her head.

“Even me?” Meggy grinned sitting the other side of her.

“You too.” Ella said. “You were amazing because I had no problems when I was pregnant with you and you were only two weeks early.”

“What about me?” Sammy asked coming over to sit with her.

“Oh you were a pain. You made me so fat that I couldn’t move.” Ella said to him. “And then you went and were born nearly two whole weeks late. You my Meggy girl, used to speak Twin speak.”

“Twin speak?” Sophie and Georgie said at the same time. “Snap.” Sophie added grinning at her brother.

“Sophie and Georgie had their own secret language and you learnt to speak it too.” Ella explained.

“Cool.” Meggy grinned.

“Did I?” Sammy asked.

“Sorry babes but they had grown out of it when you came along.” She told him gently.

“I wonder if we can remember it?” Sophie asked.

“Uh huh.” Ella said kissing the top of her head. “Bed.”

Sophie grinned and hugged her before standing up walking over to the door waiting for the others.

Ella hugged Meggy next before giving Sammy a kiss and a hug. She looked over at Marcus and beckoned him to her grinning as he ran over to her. She gave him a hug.

“Night.” He said shyly.

“Night babes.” Ella grinned at him as he ran out of the room with Sammy beside him. Georgie walked over to her next and hugged her too before he shot off and she looked up to see Roman walking over to her with a tray. She grinned at him.

“Thank you.” She said gratefully.

He smiled at her and sat down next to her.

“Do I tell you what I think you need to hear?” he asked her.

Ella looked at him as she bit into her sandwich before glancing past him and over to Danni.

“Yes.” She told him when she’d finished chewing.

“Er thanks.” Roman murmured.

She grinned at him as she lifted her free hand and stroked his face.

“You tell me stuff I don’t want to hear too.” She said to him.

He chuckled.

“We’re going to go.” Mike said glancing at Danni.

“Ok.” Ella said.

Mike stood and began to move to the door.

“Forgetting something?” Ella asked.

Mike groaned before heading over to Ella and hugging her.

“Night Ma.” He said with a smile before running back to Danni’s side. He took the pile of books out of her arms and held the door open for her as they moved out and went across the garden.

“Speaking of things that you don’t want to hear.” Ella began.

“Yes?” Roman asked her.

“Tonight there was a thing.” Ella said.

“A thing?” he asked.

She nodded.

“A moment.”

“Ok.” Roman said.

Ella blushed and looked down moving the tray from her lap and putting it on the coffee table before turning to look at him. She felt her heart start to pound but forced herself to make eye contact with him.

“Don’t make a big deal out of this ok, it wasn’t anything, actually but well there was a moment when I sorta.”

“Ella spit it out.” Roman said forcing himself not to fold his arms. He really did do that a lot he thought.

“Ok there was a moment I was aware of Aden.” She muttered biting her lip.

“Aware?” Roman asked picking up on that word.

“Yes aware.” Ella muttered feeling defensive.

“As in?” Roman asked his voice like ice.

“As in I put my hand on his arm and there was a moment.”

“Ella Harris.” Roman muttered standing up and moving over to the fireplace. “What do you mean by moment?” he added his tome angry.

“I mean.” She began jumping up from her seat and facing him. “that while I didn’t kiss him I could have done.”

Roman looked at her before he walked over to the front door. He slammed out of it and she heard the car start up.

“Ok great.” Ella said. “Just run away.” She muttered.

Sighing she moved around the lounge and tided it up before collecting Fleur and heading upstairs. She placed her daughter in her cot and settled her down before going into her room and getting changed into her nightdress. She was stood at her dressing table taking out her earrings when Roman walked into the room and their eyes met in the reflection in the mirror.

“So you didn’t kiss? And you didn’t talk about kissing? You just felt an ‘awareness’?” he asked.

Ella nodded.

“Did you think about kissing him?”

Ella shook her head, their eyes still meeting in the mirror.

“If I hadn’t been outside would you have kissed?” he asked.

“That’s an unfair question. I didn’t think about it and I don’t know what was going through his mind.” Ella said. “He loves Belle.”

“You love me but you felt an attraction to another man.”

Ella shook her head.

“Its not an attraction. It’s not like I look at him and think about him like that.” She gasped out.

“You don’t?” he asked raising an eyebrow.

Ella spun around and looked at him.

“No.” she said softly her voice ringing with truth.

“Ok then.” Roman said and moved over to his side of the bed and began taking off his clothes.

“Ok?” she asked him. “Just like that?”

He nodded dropping his shorts on the floor.

Ella glared at him.

“So where did you just disappear to?” she said folding her arms and tapping her foot on the floor.

Roman looked at her and grinned before throwing a packet at her. She caught it and looked at him in shock.

“We ran out last night and I didn’t’ get a chance to buy any earlier so I popped to the garage and got some out of a machine.”

Ella looked down at the condoms and threw them back at him.

“And you think that you are going to get lucky tonight?” she asked scathingly.

Roman nodded.

“I’m planning on showing you just how much I love you.” He said softly.

Ella sighed as she felt her temper leaving her at his statement.

“Ok then.” She said walking to the bed and getting into it. “Bet on with it though, I’m tired.”

Roman laughed as he turned to her and kissed her.

“Thank you for telling me I know it wasn’t easy for you.” He said quietly. “I’m sorry I got mad at you for a while, I know you love me Ella Harris and I love you.”

Ella turned to him and moved into his arms.

“Hold me for a bit?” she asked him.

He grinned.

“For eternity if you want.” He said to her.

Chapter 103

Ella eased back into the bedroom and placed the two cups of coffee on her bedside cabinet. She climbed back into bed and leaned over to the still sleeping Roman, lying on his front and prodded him in his ribs.

“I’m awake.” He muttered into his pillow.

“Really.” She whispered kissing his shoulder.

“Are you starting something?” he said with a half sigh-half groan.

“Might be.” She told him grinning.

“I’m exhausted.” He told her rolling over quickly and capturing her face between his hands. He leaned up and kissed her passionately. “Morning.” He told her.

“Morning.” Ella said with a smile.

“How are you my lovely wife?”

“I appear to have a few bruises.” She told him grinning.

Roman blushed.

“Really?” he asked trying to sound innocent.

Ella giggled and leaned over kissing him once more.

“Today is Sunday.” She told him.

“What did you have in mind witch wife? He asked her moving in the bed to sit up against the headboard. He moved the pillow behind him and frowned when he saw the other pillow had been thrown across the room.

“Instead of surfing we take Fleur, Lily and Liam for a walk along the beach.” She told him handing him a coffee.

He took a sip of the brew and looked at her.

“El.” He murmured.

She moved in the bed until she was kneeling and picked up her cup.

“I know you want surfing to be our time together but we had a long day yesterday and I don’t feel like going. But I would like to maybe take a slow walk along the beach holding hands. And taking the babies means we don’t have to worry about a sitter.”

Roman smiled and leaned over kissing her.

“Ok.” he told her.

“Really?” she asked.

“I’m not going to resist when you look this happy.” He said softly.

“In that case…” she began.

Roman groaned and put his cup to one side before taking the cup from her hands and pulling her onto his lap as he tickled her.

“Stop please stop.” She cried out giggling.

Roman laughed pulling her closer and kissing her.

“Yum.” She said against his lips winding her arms around his neck. He moulded her body to his feeling her smooth skin under his hands and groaned easing her away from him.

“I think we need to get up.” He said against her lips.

She giggled once more before easing her way back to her side of the bed. He reached around and handed her cup to her smiling goofily as their fingers touched.

“I feel happy today.” She told him.

“I’m glad.” He said quietly.

Ella grinned even more and drained her cup and placing it aside before leaning over to kiss him again. She sprang out of bed racing into the en suite. He heard the shower come on and he smiled before getting out of bed and tidying up the tangled bed covers before picking up his discarded clothes. He walked naked into the bathroom and stopped at the sink lathering up his face with shaving foam before running the razor in the water and beginning his shave.

Ella stepped out of the shower and wrapped herself in a towel She put another one round her hair and stepped past him and into the bedroom. She patted his behind on the way grinning as he yelped at her.

Dropping the towel near her dresser she pulled on underwear before walking over to the wardrobe and pulled out a pink print maxi dress shrugging it on over the top. She added a pair of black ballet pump slippers before heading back to the dresser and unwrapping the towel from around her hair and picking up the comb. Roman stepped out of the en suite and looked at the wet towels on the floor. He grinned and moved over to her kissing her.

“Hey!” Ella protested.

“Love you.” He said still grinning.

She pushed at his chest and he reluctantly released her grinning as she disappeared out or the room. He heard her talking to Fleur in the nursery and hurriedly pulled on clothes. He picked up the discarded towels and took them into the en suite before he went in search of Ella. He found her downstairs feeding Fleur, sitting next to Liam and Lily on the sofa as they were eating their breakfast. He smiled at her before going into the kitchen pouring out two more cups of coffee, taking one through to her.

“Have you told them?” he asked her.

Ella shook her head.

“Didn’t want to get them excited.” She said.

Roman nodded.

“Dada?” Liam asked.

Roman smiled at his son and moved to sit next to him.

“Eat your breakfast.” He told him.

Lily smiled innocently up at her Dad and offered him a spoon of cereal.

“No thank you Lils.” He said.

“Dada.” She grinned at him.

Roman smiled and looked at Ella.

“It’s true what Mike said last night.”

“About Lily?” she asked.

He nodded.

“Maybe.” Ella said softly looking at her daughter. “But she was born under horrible circumstances.”

“Remember how she was conceived?” he said easing up from the sofa and moving to kneel in front of her.

“Of course I do.” Ella said with a blush.

“How we found each other again when we seem so far apart and came together making her inside of you, and then after I thought you were gone forever how you were brought back because of her. How brave you were. Those are the things I remember about her birth." He told her passionately.

Ella looked at him and nodded before kissing the hand that he placed on her cheek.

“We should get going.” She said after a moment.

Roman nodded and looked over at Lily and Liam. He took their bowls from them and moved into the kitchen.

“Can you put a bottle in Fleur’s bag?” Ella called.

“Baby go?” Lily asked her frowning.

“We all go.” Ella said to her.

Roman returned with Fleur’s bag.

“Does she need changing?” he asked her.

“Not yet.” Ella grinned.

He nodded and moved over to the other baby’s and used a flannel to wipe their hands and faces returning it to the kitchen.

“I added some juice boxes.” He said as he walked back to her.

“Ok want to get them in the car?” she asked easing up from the sofa and taking Fleur with her as she put the bottle into the sink. She placed a cloth over her shoulder and lifted her daughter up to wind her.

Roman picked up the bag, putting the strap over his shoulder, before picking up Liam. He grinned as Lily immediately pouted before he lifted her too and walked out to the car. He had to put Lily down whilst he fished out car keys and opened the car. Lily scrambled in and climbed into her seat. He smiled and put Liam in his making sure both of them were strapped in.

“Here.” Ella called out handing him Fleur in her capsule.

He smiled and placed his youngest in the car grinning as she looked up at him with her big blue eyes. He made sure it was clipped in securely before closing the door and moving round to the get behind the wheel. Ella sat beside him and he handed over the bag to her.

“Did you leave a note for the kids?” he asked.

Ella nodded.

“Ok let’s go.” He said starting the car and moving off.

Gabby looked over at her brand new baby girl and smiled picking her up again. She knew she should be grabbing as much sleep as possible but she wanted to hold her again.

“Hello little Laura.” She whispered and suddenly from out of nowhere she burst into tears.

“Gabby.” Jacob called out waking up and coming over to her.

“I can’t call her Laura.” Gabby murmured. “My mum is right if I do something is going to happen.”

“We talked about this.” Jacob said to her, putting his arms around her. “Laura is just a name.”

“I know you aren’t that fond of my mother Jacob.” Gabby began.

“Not this again Gabby.” He rolled his eyes beginning to lose his temper.

“Look at what happened with Danni.” She cried out.

“Gabby, what I feel for your mother has nothing to do with this. Why are you letting her upset you? We agreed on her name.” He muttered defensively.

“Well you explain what happened with Danni then.” Gabby cried putting her baby back in the crib by the bed.

“You are upsetting yourself over nothing. There is no such thing as ESP. Your mother doesn’t have visions.” Jacob bit out angrily. He paced the room before stopping and looking at her. Gabby was struck by how much he resembled Chris in that moment and felt her heart leap in her throat.

“Her name is Laura and that is the end of it.” he muttered folding his arms.

Gabby collapsed back on the covers her strength leaving her at that moment. She looked down and nodded but inside she was thinking of other names determined that her daughter was going to have a beautiful name.

Jacob looked at her before sighing.

“You should get dressed ok and then we’ll get our baby home.” He said avoiding using the name Laura.

Gabby looked at him and smiled looking over at her daughter. She was dressed in a pink sleepsuit that Nic had given her. She had the idea that it was designer and wondered who bought their babies designer clothes, especially babies. She eased up and walked over to the side of the room taking out her wash kit before stepping into the en suite.

Jacob walked over to the baby and picked her up himself. He cradled her close and stroked her soft cheek. She gave a little breathy sigh as she fell asleep once more. He saw the pale golden freckles across her beautiful upturned button nose and smiled as he remembered falling in love with Gabby when she blushed because he’d been starring at her freckles. He was so lost in thought he didn’t hear Gabby coming out of the en suite with her wash kit.

“She is beautiful.” Gabby said softly.

He nodded.

“Takes after her mother.” He told her.

She moved to his side and kissed his cheek smiling when he put his arm around her.

“What do you say we have another couple just like her?” he asked.

“Only if you give birth to them.” Gabby told him grinning.

Jacob kissed her holding her close.

“Thank you for giving me a family Gabby Smith, thank you for marrying me when you had every reason to hate me, thank you for loving me and making me feel that love every day.”

“You are making me all embarrassed.” Gabby said kissing him. “We’re lucky you know.”

“I know. Your parents are taking care of us. I need to provide for my family though.”

“I don’t want her name to be Laura.” Gabby told him quickly. “I know you think my mother is mad.”

“Not mad.” Jacob interrupted looking down at his daughter.

“Well anyway, she took me in when she had every right to hate me.” Gabby finished. “The least I can do is respect that she does feel something wrong about our baby being named Laura.”

“I don’t understand Gabby.” Jacob muttered. “Why would you need forgiveness from your mother? She let you be adopted out.”

Gabby took a deep breath, sinking back to sit on the bed. She looked down at her feet in her slim black shoes focusing on them until they became blurred. A tear splashed down and she sucked in a deep breath once more before she was able to speak.

“My adopted parents kept me away from her until they hatched the plan to cause her as much pain as possible and try to get money out of her. She lied to Roman and put her marriage in jeopardy to try and help me. She just accepted me.”

Jacob moved to sit with her, their daughter still in his arms. He reached out and took hold of her hand.

“So why were you so mad at her?” he asked softly.

“Because.” Gabby said illogically.

She wiped at her eyes and looked at him.

“I resented that she looked after Mike and all that resentment built up. I also felt so guilty.” She explained.

“Even so Gabby we can’t live our lives trying to make up for what we did in the past.” He told her.

She raised her eyes and looked at him.

“Does that mean you are going to go back to teaching?” she asked him.

He let go of her hand and put his fingers under her chin.

“Don’t ever let anyone tell you that you aren’t like Ella.” He said with a laugh.

“Hey at least I didn’t do the voice.” She grinned at him.

Jacob leaned forward and kissed her again.

“I love you Gabrielle Harris Smith.” He said softly.

“I love you Jacob Smith.” She said back.

She eased off the bed and began putting her things in her bag and packing the things for the baby. Jacob watched for a moment before he lifted the baby into the carrier. He strapped her in smiling as she stayed asleep.

“Let me guess she’s not going to stay that way for very long?” Jacob mused catching Gabby’s look.

“She’s going to scream her head off.” Gabby predicted.

He grinned at her.

“Has your Mum spoken about the stable conversion?” he asked.

“Worried about having her in with Danni and Mike?” Gabby said.

“A little. Danni has seemed a little upset recently.” He commented.

Gabby gave him a look before tugging the zip on her bag closed. He held out his hand and took it from her before picking up the baby. They walked slowly out of the room and along the corridor to the nurses station at the end signing the discharge papers.

“Come on then. Time to get her home.” Jacob said softly.

Gabby followed him out to the car.

“We still haven’t settled the name issue.” She said quietly.

“Gabby her name is Laura. You still haven’t given me a valid reason for changing it.” he said walking towards the car. “And your mother having a feeling is not a reason.”

“Then how about I have a feeling? Is that valid enough for you.” She snapped.

Jacob stopped at the side of the car and struggled to get his keys out of his pocket. He gave Gabby a look and felt his keys slip out of his hand and on to the tarmac, bouncing under the car.

“Great.” He muttered forcing himself not to swear. He handed their daughter to Gabby and bent down to get his keys. Groaning he looked under the car. “Dammit.” He cried out.

“Language.” Gabby said automatically.

Jacob stood up and looked at Gabby.

“Already nagging me about my language in front of her? It’s not like she’s awake.” He told her. “And whatever name you want to call her is fine by me.”

“Huh?” Gabby asked puzzled.

Jacob looked at her.

“Can you call your Dad to come get us?” he asked.

“What is it?” Gabby asked paling.

“There is a pool of liquid under the car. It looks like it came from the brake line.”

“So if we weren’t arguing about her name then we would have been in the car.” Gabby said.

Jacob nodded.

“With no brakes.” He said. “If you hadn’t kept going on about her name then I wouldn’t have dropped my keys.”

She sucked in a deep breath and then another one.

“Oh my god Jacob.” She gasped.

“I know.” He said moving over to her and taking her into his arms. He looked down on their baby and sighed.

Roman and Ella walked into the house together. She was cradling Fleur in her arms watching as Lily and Liam ran ahead of her.

“Mum.” Gabby called out.

Ella frowned and walked into the lounge. She saw Mike and Danni there standing next to Gabby and Jacob.

“Hello. Didn’t think you were coming home until later.” Ella said walking over to her and kissing her cheek.

“We tried to call.”

“I didn’t take my phone out.” Ella said glancing at Roman standing behind her. “What’s the matter?” she asked.

“The car.” Gabby gasped crying.

Jacob kissed his wife before he spoke, his tone subdued.

“If we weren’t arguing over the name Laura then we would have been in the car but we argued and I dropped the keys. That is when I noticed the fluid under the car. The brake line was leaking. The garage just called and told us if we’d touched the brake pedal at all then they would have failed.”

Ella paled and looked down at her baby before glancing at Gabby and her daughter.

“Well.” She said. “It seems that we have something else to celebrate. Has Sophie had a cuddle yet?”

“No.” Sophie called from the stairs.

Gabby shook her head a faint smile on her face.

“Did Mike tell you we have champagne in the fridge ready?” Ella asked.

“No.” Jacob said quietly.

“Roman.” Ella turned and smiled at him. “Want to get some lunch going? We’ll have a bit of a celebration.”

He nodded and looked over at Gabby.

“Anything you fancy?” he asked her.

“Nothing comes to mind.” Gabby said quietly.

“Great, cheese on toast it is.” Roman announced hearing laughter coming from the stairs.

“So are you still arguing over a name?” Ella asked them.

Jacob looked at Gabby.

“No. I’m easy with any name she chooses.” He said with added meaning.

“I always wanted to call one of my kids Fifi Trixabelle.” Ella said.

“That is so cool.” Sophie said from the stairs.

“How come I got stuck with Megan?” Meggy asked.

“Your father named you. “ Ella called out. “Blame him Fifi.”

Roman peered around the archway and looked at her before looking at Gabby.

“I have a name.” He said.

“Any suggestions welcome.” Jacob said moving over to put his arm around Gabby before looking down at their daughter.

Roman looked over at Ella as he spoke.

“Daniella.” He said quietly his voice full of emotion. “That way she is named after her sister and mother.”

Gabby looked down at her daughter and then she met Jacob’s gaze and saw him nod.

“Hello Daniella Sophie.” Gabby said to her.

“Daniella?” Danni questioned. “We aren’t going to get confused at all.” She added wiping at a tear falling down her face.

“Well we won’t if you…” Ella began.

“Shut up mother.” Danni muttered.

“Did you say Sophie?” Sophie asked sounding awed.

Gabby nodded.

“Want to come and hold your goddaughter?” she asked her sister.

“Me?” Sophie squeaked stepping forward.

Ella smiled before looking over at Roman. She stepped towards him and placed a gently kiss on his lips.

“Wondered what I was going to come up with didn’t you?” he asked her.

Ella nodded.

“Look.” She said pointed to Sophie sitting on the sofa with Daniella in her arms.

“She’ll be a great Mum.” He told her proudly. “you know in about twenty years when I let her date.” He added.

Ella chuckled and kissed him again,

The other kids walked into the room gathering around Sophie before Meggy walked over to her parents.

“Can I really be called ….” She began to ask.

“No.” Roman and Ella said at the same time.

“Just checking.” She said and ran back over to see the baby.

Chapter 104

Ella looked over at Lily and Liam in the swimming pool with Sophie before turning and looking at Danni.

“Anytime you want to talk I’m here.” She told her.

“I hate how you do that.” Danni commented sitting up and putting her sunglasses on the top of her head.

“Yeah I know that too.” Ella said swinging her legs to the floor and turning to look at Danni. “It’s been a heck of a start to the year hasn’t it?”

“Do you think he had something to do with Jacob’s car?” Danni asked her.

Ella nodded.

“I think we’ve been lucky. He’s stepping up the aggression. I doubt he wanted to hurt Gabby though just remove Jacob.” Ella said glancing up to the house where Roman was sitting with Mike and Jacob, the three men in deep conversation. “Tell me how did you fake the DNA test?” Ella asked her.

“All this time and you’ve never asked?” Danni muttered folding her arms across herself defensively.

“Never needed to know.” Ella told her. She glanced back at the pool to where Sophie was and also Meggy before looking back at Danni.

“I waited until Sophie was asleep and put the swab in her mouth. Then when I went to the hospital I substituted the swab.” Danni said in a flat voice.

“Very clever.” Ella said to her. “Now you can tell me what is wrong can’t you.”

“Ella it’s none of your business.” Danni snapped out.

“Sure as hell isn’t Mike’s business otherwise you’d be talking to him wouldn’t you?” Ella said her tone even.

“Keep out of it.” Danni said angrily.

“Hey I’m out of it.” Ella stood and walked over to the pool leaning down to speak to Sophie. “I’m going in make sure you look after the babies.”

“Ok Mum.” Sophie called back.

She smiled at her daughter and stood up walking along the garden towards the house catching sight of Roman looking in her direction. She smiled at him before walking to his side.

“I’ve left Sophie in charge of the babies can you get them out in half hour?” she asked him.

“Going for a lay down?” he asked.

Ella nodded.

“I’ll take Fleur up with me.” She explained.

“Mum.” Mike began.

“No doubt you’ve been discussing everything.” Ella said. “Try not to let Gabby see those worried faces.”

Roman looked at her and nodded kissing her as she moved past him and into the house. They heard her speaking to Fleur as she picked her up before she walked past the boys playing a game on the console. Stepping lightly through them she headed up the stairs.

“She’s….” Jacob said.

“Have some …” Roman began.

“Respect?” Mike supplied.

“I was going to say pity. I’m married to it.” Roman told them. “I catch flack for stuff I haven’t even done yet.”

Mike and Jacob looked at each other before they laughed.

“So what do we do next?” Jacob asked.

“Nothing we can do.” Roman said. “We don’t know where he is or what he’s planning.”

“No joy with Jacko or Pete?” Mike muttered folding his arms across himself. He looked up and saw Gabby come out of the pool house.

“I think you are wanted.” Roman told Jacob.

“Better not be another nappy.” Jacob said under his breath before he headed over to Gabby. He kissed his wife on the cheek before going in with her. Roman caught sight of Mike watching Danni carefully and patted the other man on his back.

“I have no idea.” Mike said turning and heading in the kitchen. He took out a couple of beers before walking back out and handing one to Roman.

“Give her time.” Roman murmured. “Doesn’t look like she was ready to talk to Ella.”

“Stop reading lips.” Mike groaned.

“I didn’t.” Roman protested. “But I did see the expression on Danni’s face.”

“uh huh.” Mike said swigging the beer.

“There has been a lot going on Mike. The Gardy stuff. Ella losing the babies. And then what happened today. I’m sure it’s reminding Danni of how she came into our lives and maybe she has unresolved issues over it.” Roman told him quietly.

“Since when did you get all….” Mike began.

“Can’t think of a way to finish that sentence?” Roman asked.

“I’m still in shock over the whole speaking like Mum stuff.” Mike said nodding.

Roman threw back his head and laughed.

“Speaking of your Mum I’m going to go up and see her.” he said handing Mike his empty bottle.

“Uh huh.” Mike said giving him a grin.

Roman gave him one of his famous looks before heading into the house. He took the stairs two at a time and headed into the bedroom. Ella lay facing away from the door.

“What took you so long?” she asked him.

He gave a small laugh and moved over to her in the bed smiling as she rolled over and looked at him.

“Are you ok?” he asked her.

Ella nodded.

“Really?” he asked.

“More or less. I’m trying not to think about what could have happened.” She told him.

Roman leaned down and kissed her.

“You know…” he began.

“It’s ok Roman. I’m not going to blame you. This is beyond anyone’s control.” She said stroking his face. “Now go get Lily out of the swimming pool.”

“Aren’t you supposed to wish me luck before you send me on a dangerous mission?” he asked her.

Ella giggled and leaned up kissing him.

“Did we sort uniforms yesterday?” she asked changing the subject.

Roman swore.

“Is that a no?” she asked.

He nodded.

“I didn’t even think about laundry.” He confessed giving her a sheepish grin. “Sorry.”

Ella sighed and swung her legs out of the bed.

“El I’ll do it.” he said.

“No I’m up now.” She murmured.

“Sorry.” He said guiltily.

Ella smiled at him.

“Just remember that you owe me. I told you that you had my day.” She muttered.

“Yeah about that.” Roman said standing up and looking at her. “Was there any reason why my whisky was out?”

Ella smiled at him as she put her shoes on.

“El?” he asked.

She continued to smile at him as she moved out of the room and down the stairs. Roman followed her stopping in the utility room to pick up fresh towels before heading out the back and down the garden.

Ella walked into the lounge and stood in front of the tv.

“Mum.” Georgie groaned.

“Pause it.” she instructed. “And then I want you to go to your rooms and bring down your laundry. Georgie I want the laundry basket down from your bathroom. Then you can help Sammy fetch the one from the other bathroom.”

“Mum!” Sammy groaned.

“Now.” She told them. “Or do you want to go to school in smelly uniforms?”

She heard groaned as the three boys moved off the sofa and up the stairs as she walked into the kitchen and took out a beer for herself.

“Hitting the bottle Ma?” Mike asked from the back.

“Was that a hint that you want another one?” she asked.

“Please.” He said. “You should watch this.”

Ella grabbed another bottle and walked out the back in time to see Lily sidestep Roman and jump back in the pool.

“That’s my girl.” Ella said handing over the bottle.

“Lily Alyssa Harris.” Roman shouted.

“That isn’t going to work is it?” Mike asked.

“Not a chance in hell.” Ella commented.

They watched as Roman knelt by the side of the pool and lent over the side reaching for their daughter.

“Ot oh.” Ella said.

Mike laughed as in slow motion Roman overbalanced and ended up headfirst in the water.

“Stop laughing and go help him.” Ella said to her son with a giggle.

Mike stood up and kicked off his shoes, taking out his phone from his pocket and slipping off his watch before he headed down the garden. He stripped off his shirt and dropped it on the grass before making his way to the side of the pool. Looking at Lily struggling in Roman’s arms he stood at the end and dived into the water surfacing near them.

“Want a hand?” he asked Roman.

“If you’ve stopped laughing.” Roman muttered.

They moved to the side of the pool and Mike took hold of Lily as Roman lifted himself out of the pool. He grabbed a towel and wrapped that around himself before he gathered Lily out of Mike’s hold and wrapped her in a towel sausage like. Carrying her under his arm he looked over at Liam.

“Come on.” He said to him.

Mike lifted himself out and grabbed another towel.

“Come on Liam.” He said picking up his brother and carrying him. He couldn’t help but see the look that Danni shot him as he moved up the garden with his brother.

“Lily I think that you are going to have a spanking tonight.” Ella said folding her arms as she looked at her daughter.

Lily immediately burst into noisy tears.

“Cut the act Lily and straight to bed with her.” she told Roman.

He nodded and carried her straight up the stairs. Mike followed with Liam.

“Here you go Mum.” Georgie called out huffing.

“Thank you in the utility room.” Ella instructed. She moved in there with him and looked at the pile of clothes there with a groan before sorting the laundry.

“Go tell the girls to come out of the pool.” Ella told Sammy.

“Mum.” He protested.

“Now.” Ella told him with a grin. “Sooner you do it the sooner you can get back to that stupid game.”

“The game isn’t stupid.” Sammy muttered.

“Tick tock.” Ella grinned at him as he comically rolled his eyes and spun around running out the back and down the garden.

Mike came down the stairs and moved into the utility room handing over Roman’s wet clothes, the kids bathers and the wet towels.

“Thank you son.” Ella said sarcastically.

Mike kissed her cheek before moving back out on the veranda and picking up his beer.

“Mum.” Meggy began.

“Upstairs shower and bring down all your laundry.” Ella said to her.

“So we can’t have another ten minutes then.” Sophie asked.

“Not unless you want to do laundry for the rest of the night.” Ella muttered hearing a muffled squeak from Meggy before she ran past her and up the stairs. With Sophie following closely behind. Ella sorted through the clothes placing the whites in the machine. She left it for a few moments wanting to see what the others would bring down wandering back out to reclaim her beer.

“What do you think I should do about Danni?” Mike asked after a few moments.

“Leave her alone.” Ella said. “She doesn’t want to talk to us and the more we push her the more angry she’s getting.”

“I’ve been looking at holidays.” Mike began.

“Only place she wants to go is to the hospice to find out about her past.” Ella told him gently placing her hand on his arm.

“Thanks Mum.” Mike said his usual grin coming back.

“Take care of her, ok.” she murmured.

He nodded.

“I’ll sort out arrangements for us to go there next weekend. We’ll go stay in the studio this week. It’ll give Gabby and the baby time to bond.”

Ella nodded.

“How did I luck out getting a son like you.” She murmured with a grin.

“I don’t know.” Mike murmured. “You must have been good in a past life.”

Ella chuckled and looked over at Roman carrying a subdued Liam in his arms.

“Ok?” Ella asked.

He gave her a grin.

“Hurricane Lily just destroyed their room again.” He said.

“Meggy is looking more angelic by the moment.” Mike said laughing.

“I wouldn’t be too smug these are your genes too you know.” Ella murmured to him standing up and kissing Liam. He reached out to her and she took him into her arms snuggling with him. “What did you do with her?”

“I left her upstairs.” Roman said. “Told her if she apologises and tidies her room she can come down.”

“That’s so not going to work.” Meggy said from behind them.

“There speaks the voice of experience.” Mike said. “Ouch.” He added when Ella reached out and smacked his arm.

“Did you bring your laundry down?” Ella asked her daughter.

“Yup and I started sorting it for you.” Meggy said sticking her tongue out at her brother.

Mike stuck his tongue out back causing Liam to convulse with the giggles.

“Behave.” Ella said a smile on her face.

She kissed Liam and set him down watching as he ran over to the boys in the lounge before she heading into the laundry. She began adding Meggy’s white things to the load.

“Mum.” Sophie called out urgently.

Ella sighed and moved over to the stairs.

“What.?” She asked her. “Keep your voice down Fleur is asleep.”

Sophie moved to the top of the stairs and beckoned her.

“Ok it better be important.” Ella muttered.

She climbed up the stairs and voer to her daughter bending down as Sophie whispered in her ear.

“Really?” Ella asked.

Sophie nodded.

“Ok go on back to your room I’ll be up in a minute.” Ella said.

“What is it?” Roman asked from the bottom of the stairs.

“Nothing Daddy.” Sophie said quickly blushing.

Ella smiled and placed her hands on her daughters back guiding her over to the other set of stairs before she headed into the bedroom. She came out a moment later carrying a round hatbox and went up the stairs to Sophie’s bedroom handing her the box.

“Mummy?” Sophie asked slowly.

“Everything you might need is in there.” Ella said watching as Sophie opened it and gave a little gasp.

“Ok.” Sophie murmured looking at the women’s products. “How do I?” Sophie asked picking up some tampons.

Ella sighed and slowly explained.

“I know I should have sent your Dad up.” Ella murmured after a time.

“Sure if you wanted me to be traumatised.” Sophie said with a grin. “Thank you.”

“Ok. Give me your laundry and come down when you are ready.” Ella told her.

Sophie pointed and Ella collected her clothes before heading down the stairs. She moved through to the laundry seeing Roman give her a puzzled look.

“What happened to Sophie bringing…” he began to ask.

Ella walked over to him and whispered in his ear smiling at the look on his face as he paled.

“Already?” he muttered.

Ella nodded and chuckled as Roman walked to the cupboard where they kept the alcohol and poured out a big glass of whisky for himself.

“Shut up.” He told her seeing the grin still on her face.

“Getting old mister.” She said and disappeared into the utility room.

Roman glared at the space she had been standing in before walking out the back and sitting once more with Mike.

“Whisky?” Mike asked.

“Yup.” Roman murmured.

“Where’s mine?” he asked.

“Seems like Danni is already mad at you without you getting drunk.” Roman pointed out.

“At least I didn’t forget to do the laundry.” Mike said. “And she’ll be up half the night ironing too.”

“Thanks son.” Roman muttered.

“You’re welcome.” Mike said chuckling.

“I think I’ll go order pizza.” Roman announced.

“Better ask if they have cheesecake.” Mike said flashing a mocking smile at the other man.

“Tell me again why I got you out of the cave?” he asked him.

“So that my mother wouldn’t kill you.” Mike shot back.

Roman gave him a look.

“Knew it was a mistake teaching you to talk.” He said as he walked into the house and over to the phone.

Chapter 105

Ella rolled over and accepted the cup of coffee that Roman handed her.

“Is it time already?” she muttered.

“’Fraid so.” He said with a grin. “Gotta go get the others.”

“But it’s so peaceful.” Ella muttered sitting up and moving the pillow behind her.

“That’s because you sicced me with Hurricane Lily and hyped up Liam.” He muttered. “While you and sleeping beauty came up here.”

“Am I not the parent who is up most of the night with so called sleeping beauty?” Ella asked raising an eyebrow as she looked at him.

“Yeah about that. Do you think that maybe you could start wearing bed socks? Your feet are like ice when you get back into bed.”

“Roman Harris do you know how much dangerous ground you are on right now?” Ella asked him with a mock growl.

He smiled at her leaning forward and taking the cup out of her hands and placing it on the side before kissing her.

“Oh.” She murmured.

“Oh?” he asked.

She grinned.

“Are you thinking of anything right now?” she asked.

“Only that it has been a four days since we made love.” He said quietly. “Only holding you every night has stopped me going mad with frustration.”

Ella giggled.

“Oh I see. I get passionate and you laugh at me.” He grumbled.

“Were you planning a quick five minutes?” she asked him. “Because you did say that it was time to get the others.”

Roman looked at her before handing her coffee back to her.

“I hope you remember this when you complain I don’t do romance.” He grumbled easing up off the bed.

“Georgie is camping this weekend. We could farm out the rest of the kids and go to the studio.” Ella said softly.

“Are you sure?” Roman asked.

“Annie is dying to babysit. She’s been over most mornings for a coffee and a cuddle with Fleur.” Ella told him. “I’m sure she and Irene could cope for a night with them.”

“Are you sure El?” he asked. “We never did it with the others.”

“I know and of course I’m going to be worrying myself sick for part of it but we did only get married a few months ago.”

Roman once more took her cup away and pulled her into his arms and hugged her.

“Studio huh?” he asked. “Don’t you mean take a trip to see if Danni and Mike are ok?”

Ella gave him a look under her lashes and grinned when he chuckled.

“Think that…” he began to ask.

“Just because some kids are grown doesn’t mean they don’t need their parents.” Ella said draining her cup and putting it to one side. She moved in the bed so she was kneeling beside him and wrapped her arms around his neck.

“Ok.” he said softly before kissing her. “I’ll pack a suit so you can take me out to dinner.”

Ella giggled and kissed him.

“This time I’ll use one spoon.” She promised him.

Roman threw back his head and laughed before forcing himself to get off the bed. He held out his hand to her and helped her up. She slipped her feet into shoes and walked with him down the stairs.

“Lily what are you doing?” she asked seeing her daughter with a felt tip pen next to the wall.

“Nothing.” Lily said smiling innocently.

“Just in the nick of time.” Roman said out the side of his mouth,

“Drop the pen missy.” Ella said putting her hands on her hips. “You are still on my naughty list.”

“Lily good.” Lily murmured, still with that innocent look.

“About as good as Meggy.” Ella muttered going over to her and taking the pen out of her hand.

She glanced at Liam and saw him point to the other wall. Giving Lily a look she moved over and saw that a rainbow had been drawn on the wall with multiple colours.

“Very good. Straight up to your room Lilly Alyssa Harris.” Ella said.

“What did she….oh.” Roman murmured. “I only left her for five minutes.”

“I know.” Ella said. “Good job these are washable.”

“Mama?” Lily murmured pouting.

“Upstairs now.” Ella said to her.

“no.” Lily shouted.

“I said upstairs now. Argue with me and I will spank you.” Ella said keeping her voice calm with difficulty.

“Ella?” Roman murmured.

“It’s ok. Lily is going upstairs to her room.”

Lily starred at her for a long moment before she walked out of the room and up the stairs. They heard her stomp on each step.

“Better not tell Irene about this or she won’t babysit.” Roman said with a grin.

Ella gave him a glare.

“Look what happens when you look after them.” she murmured.

Roman gave her an incredulous look before striding to her side and pulling her into his arms, He kissed her passionately hearing Liam giggle and eased back looking into her eyes before he swotted her behind.

“Behave yourself Missy.” He told her and heard Liam convulse with giggles.

“Roman Harris.” Ella groaned out.

He grinned and kissed her again before turning around and heading out of the door. Ella watched him go before she fetched the cloth and washed the rainbow off the wall.

“Mama pretty gone.” Liam murmured.

“Yes.” Ella said. “Naughty Lily.”

“Lily sad.” Liam told her.

“I know she is but Mama loves her Lily.” Ella said softly. “She loves her Liam too.”

Liam grinned and ran over to her. She picked him up and hugged him close. “Shall we go and see Lily?” she asked him smiling some more as he nodded.

She carried him up the stairs and into their room seeing Lily look up in shock.

“We loves Lily.” Liam shouted out.

Lily smiled and wiped at her tears.

“Mama too?”

“Mama loves Lily but she needs to stop being so naughty.” Ella sad kneeling down on the floor next to Lily’s bed before putting Liam on his feet and opening her arms smiling as Lily launched herself off her bed and over to her. She hugged her daughter close and kissed her.

Mike eased his car into the garage at the studio and sighed when he saw Danni’s car already inside. After turning off the engine he climbed out and picked up the bag of groceries taking them up the steps into the studio. He glanced at the equipment around the room before heading up the next set of steps into the apartment.

“Hey.” He called out.

Danni looked up from the table and gave him a quick smile.

“I got some food for tonight unless you want to get dressed up and go out to dinner.” He murmured.

“I’m trying to concentrate. I have to get this assignment done.” Danni muttered looking down.

Mike bit the inside of his cheek not to sigh or say anything. He walked softly into the kitchen and began putting everything away moving as quietly as possible. He grabbed a coffee for himself and moved into the bedroom lying on the bed. He moved the pillows behind his head and grabbed one of his books and began reading before putting on his ipod.

Danni looked over at the closed bedroom door and sighed before looking down at her textbook again.

Mike finished his coffee and put the book aside. He closed his eyes listening to the music eventually falling asleep.

“Ella.” Irene called out walking into the kitchen. “I got your message.”

Annie stood up and looked at them.

“It wasn’t about me was it?” she asked guiltily. “I know I’ve been spending a lot of time with Fleur.”

Ella grinned and put down her cloth in the sink before wiping her hands on a towel and moving over to Annie.

“Yes.” She said. “Yes you have.”

Irene glanced at her and smiled.

“Certainly have. I never see you anymore.” Irene murmured.

“Irene.” Annie gasped out sensing she was being teased.

“It’s nice to see Darl.” She murmured.

“Coffee?” Ella asked.

“Please. Me throats parched.”

Ella walked over to the cupboard and took out a cup before pouring out coffee. She added milk and passed that to the other woman before getting herself a drink and sitting at the table.

“Roman and I want to go to the studio tomorrow and spend the weekend.” Ella began.

“And you want babysitters?” Irene asked. “sure thing Darl.”

“Georgie will be camping. Sophie and Meggy are having a sleepover with Angel. Marcus will be spending the weekend with his Mum. Sammy is spending it with Tyler. So that leaves Lily and Liam and the little one.” Ella explained.

“Sounds ok so far but something tells me that it isn’t going to be that easy.” Irene said taking a drink.

“Lily is going through a phase.” Ella announced.

“Like Meggy?” Irene asked.

“Why does everyone keep referring to Meggy?” Annie asked.

“Because she was a violent hooligan.” Irene murmured grinning at the expression on Annie’s face.

Ella nodded.

“She was evil for a time.” she admitted. “She was jealous of Sammy.”

“Lily jealous of this little angel?” Annie asked looking down at the baby

“Uh huh. Like to see you in two years time with that little angel.” Ella said with a grin sharing a look with Irene.

“I would love that.” Annie said softly.

“So what are you doing Annie? Ella asked.

“A whole load of nothing.” Annie muttered. “Can’t get a job, The Sands hotel is only giving me occasional shifts at reception.”

Irene sighed.

“What do you want to do?” she asked the other woman.

“I don’t know.” Annie said. “Be a mum I suppose.”

“Aside from that.” Ella said. “Come on what do you really want to do?”

“I was a hotel manager in the city before Ruby and I went travelling.” Annie said. “Nothing like that here.”

“What about opening a guest house?” Irene said quietly. “There is this house on the beach front that would be amazing.”

“I’d never get the money together.” Annie sighed.

“Is it something that you could do and be happy with Annie?” Ella asked feeling Irene look at her as she spoke.

“My own starter hotel?” Annie said her voice sounding lighter.

“yes.” Ella grinned.

“I could do it.” Annie murmured. “How many rooms does it have?”

Irene grinned.

“Lets go see it.” Ella suggested.

“What now?” Annie squeaked.

“Not time like the present.” Ella jumped up from the seat and moved into the kitchen. She grabbed a bottle from the fridge for Fleur and put it in her bag before running up the stairs.

“She’s serious.” Annie said with a shocked tone.

“Of course. You know how she likes to sort people out and make people happy.” Irene said. “How do you think I ended up married to her Dad?”

Annie laughed before looking over at the door and seeing Ella walking towards them.

“Ok lets go.” She said. “And you might want to put the baby in the car seat.”

Annie looked down before she felt Irene give her a gentle push.

“Ok I’m coming.” Annie grumbled. “But do I really have to hand over the baby.”

Irene chuckled, picking up the baby’s bag before she moved out with Annie and Ella. Ella opened the car door and let Annie place the baby in her capsule before the women climbed into the car.

“We’ll drive past the house and get the vendor details.” Ella said quietly.

Annie giggled.

“What before we buy it?” she asked.

“You do know I bought my house within an hour of seeing it.” Ella pointed out.

“er… I’ll stop joking.” Annie muttered.

“Might be best Darl.” Irene suggested.

Ella grinned at them before turning to Irene.

“Where are we going?” she asked.

Irene directed them to the house she was thinking off and they soon pulled up outside the front. Ella nodded when she saw the property and climbed out of the car collecting the bag for Fleur before picking up her daughter. She crossed over the road and stood outside it.

“Well it’s right on the beach.” She said to Annie.

“Yeah.” Annie murmured her eyes scanning the horizon before looking at the house. “That tree will need to come down.”

Irene grinned.

“So you like it then?” she asked the young girl.

“I do.” Annie said. “Depends on the number of bedrooms and the plumbing.”

“Let me make a call and see if we can get a viewing.” Ella said softly.

“No need for that I can show you around.” A voice added.

Annie gave a little gasp as she turned and looked around.

“Jai?” she questioned.

“In person.” He said with a smile.

“Well I’ll be.” Irene said. “What are you doing here boy?”

“Here in town or at this house?” he asked Irene his eyes still on Annie.

“Either.” Ella said going over and hugging him. “Miles must be stoked.”

Jai chuckled.

“He isn’t even trying to hide it.” Jai told her. “The sale is being managed by my property firm.”

“Great can we get a look inside.” Ella asked him.

“No worries.” Jai said holding up the keys. “I have a copy of the details in my car. I’ll just let you in and go get them.”

“Cool.” Ella grinned at him.

He walked over to the door and opened it before standing back and letting them walk inside before he turned and walked over to his car.

“You knew he was coming back.” Annie hissed at Ella.

“Yes.” She replied innocently.

“You could have warned me.” Annie grumbled smoothing down her dress before running her fingers through her hair. She took out the band and redid the pony tail.

“Uh huh.” Ella murmured looking over at Irene who was grinning.

“Shouldn’t you be looking round?” Irene asked slowly.

“I hate you both.” Annie said blushing.

She spun around and stalked to the stairs heading up them.

“She’s eager to get him in the bedroom.” Ella said to Irene.

“Huh.” Annie muttered from the stairs.

Irene grinned.

“Two for the price of one.” She murmured to Ella.

“Lets check out the kitchen.” Ella said moving through to the back of the house. She stood in the kitchen and nodded.

“Seems a good size. Could get a couple of people working in here.” Irene said slowly.

“So are you looking to move?” Jai asked moving into the room behind them.

“As if Roman would let me.” Ella grinned. “No thinking of maybe turning it into a B&B.”

“Well you would need permits.” Jai began. He handed over details of the property to them.

“Annie would be running it.” Irene said slowly.

“We could help with that.” Jai said. “We have a business manager who would tell you what paperwork you would have to do.”

“Sounds good.” Irene spoke again. She glanced down at the details. “8 bedrooms. Impressive.”

“It’s one of the bigger properties in the Bay.” Jai pointed out.

Ella turned on the tap and watched the water go down the drain. She placed her hand under the stream for a brief moment before turning off the tap.

“How many downstairs rooms?” she asked.

“Kitchen, utility, study, dinning room, and two receptions.” Jai said. “Dimensions are on the details.”

Ella nodded.

“Perhaps we should go see where Annie is.” She suggested.

Jai smiled and moved ahead of them out through the house and up the stairs.

“I’m thinking that he kinda likes our Annie.” Irene said quietly.

“Really?” Ella murmured rocking Fleur. “What gives you that idea?”

“Oh the panting and the puppy dog eyes.” Irene chuckled.

Ella gave a little laugh and moved out following Jai. She found Annie and Jai in one of the front bedrooms and looked at the other girl.

“Well?” she asked.

“It could work.” Annie said. “I think we would have to lose one of the bedrooms to create another bathroom and we could fit in an en suite in two of them.”

Ella nodded.

“We need to sit down and work out some figures. Come up with a business plan.” Annie announced.

“I could help you with that.” Jai offered.

“It’s ok. I can do that.” Annie said. She caught Ella giving her a look and she frowned back for a second before turning and looking at Jai. “But would you like to go for a coffee?” she asked softly.

“Yes.” Jai answered immediately. “Are you free now?”

Annie nodded.

“We’ll leave you to it.” Ella said to her. “Can you drop her off later?”

“No worries.” Jai said smiling as Annie gave him a look.

Ella turned to Irene and the two of them moved down the stairs and out to her car. She placed Fleur in the car seat strapping her in before she got behind the wheel. Irene got in beside her and chuckled.

“Not bad.” She said.

“Do you think we were surprised enough when he turned up?” Ella asked.

“I think she’ll figure it out in a few weeks and be pretty mad.” Irene predicted.

Ella laughed.

“Well she can’t keep coming over and mooning after my kids. Time she had some of her own.”

“I know Darl but I get the feeling that it won’t be so easy for her.” Irene said with a sigh.

“She’ll be fine.” Ella said. “I mean look at me.”

“I doubt she wants that many kids.” Irene muttered.

Ella looked at her and giggled.

“Me either. I mean it was fun making them but after that it just got more difficult.”

“You mean birth?” Irene asked her.

“No I mean when they learned to talk.” Ella said.

Irene laughed.

Chapter 106

“So whose idea was it to walk?” Mike grumbled glancing back over his shoulder to his mother. She was walking next to Roman and Danni was by his side.

“This is nothing.” Ella said referring to the light drizzle falling on them.

Roman looked at her and smiled before shrugging out of his jacket and putting it around her shoulders. She moved closer to him and put her arm around his waist feeling the warmth of him through his white cotton shirt.

The drizzle gave way to a sudden downpour making them gasp. Mike placed his hand in the small of Danni’s back and ran with her to the doorway of an adjacent building. He sheltered her with his body from the worst of the rain.

“Ok?” he asked.

She nodded and lifted her hands rubbing them together.

“I’m fine.” She said unable to disguise the tone in her voice.

Mike caught hold of her hands and rubbed them gently.

“Your hands are like ice.” He murmured lifting them to his mouth. He blew on them to warm them before he rubbed them.

Danni looked up at him and sighed.

“Come on you two. It’s just round the corner.” Ella called out.

Mike looked over at Danni before stepping out into the rain. It had eased off but he took his jacket off anyway and held it up above both of their heads as he and Danni moved out of the doorway and followed Roman and Ella around and into the restaurant.

“Table for Harris.” Roman murmured to the Maitre ’D

“Certainly sir.” He was told.

“Perhaps we should freshen up before we are seated?” Ella asked

Roman looked at her before glancing at the others.

“The restrooms are through there.” The Maitre ’D informed them pointing around the corner.

Ella nodded and handed back Roman’s jacket before she stepped towards the ladies. Danni followed her into the cream and gold room glancing at the mirror before she stepped into a cubicle. Ella watched the other woman go before she stepped to the mirror and wiped at the streaks of mascarra under her eyes. She retouched her makeup before heading into a stall herself. She came out after a moment and washed her hands before stepping over to the drier.

“Ready Danni?” she called out.

“I’ll catch you up.” Danni called her voice strained.

Ella sighed and moved to the door. She was about to go out when she stopped and waited. Danni finally came out her eyes red.

“You can’t go on like this Danni.” Ella told her. “We need to know what is upsetting you so we can make it better.”

“I can’t stand him being so nice.” Danni muttered.

“Why?” Ella asked stepping closer to her.

“Because I’m going to leave him.” Danni announced.

“Ok.” Ella said.

“Not going to ask me why?” Danni muttered.

“Nope.” Ella said. “You’ve made up your mind. Nothing I can say or do is going to stop you is it?”

Danni looked at her and bit her lip before slowly shaking her head.

“Is it?” Ella repeated.

Danni sighed and tears started pouring down her face again.

“What is it Danni? What is hurting you?” Ella asked stepping to her and putting her arms around her daughter.

“I need to knew where I’m from.” Danni gasped out.

“We know. We’re going to the hospice tomorrow.” Ella said. “It’s all arranged. “

“Really? Why didn’t Mike tell me.”

“Because he’s scared Danni, nothing he does makes you happy anymore.”

Danni nodded.

“I’ve been mean to him.”

“I think he’ll understand. Now come on we’re going to have a nice dinner. Wipe your eyes.”

Danni moved to the elegant row of sinks and bathed her eyes before reapplying her make up. She joined Ella and they walked out of the restrooms and over to the bar where Mike and Roman were waiting for them.

“Hello.” Roman said quietly looking at them.

“Do you want a drink?” Mike asked standing up and moving close to Danni.

“no thanks.” Danni said softly.

Mike smiled at her and put his arm around her waist.

“Shall we go to the table then?” Roman asked.

Ella nodded and they walked over to the Maitre d. He picked up four menus and walked ahead of them to a table near the fireplace. A small fire was burning inside it and Danni smiled grabbing the seat closest to it. She looked over at Mike as he sat next to her before glancing at Ella and then Roman. The Maitre d handed out menus and eased silently away.

“Are we going for starters?” Mike asked.

Ella glanced at Roman.

“Who’s paying?” she asked him.

“I’ve seen the wine list already. Not me.” He told her. “I think Mr Trust fund should pick up the bill.”

“It’s a small trust fund. Barely pays for anything.” Mike murmured.

Ella glanced at him.

“Then you’ll have plenty left over to treat us tonight. Knowing of course that your parents rarely manage to go out to dinner.”

Mike threw back his head and let out a laugh.

“Very good Mother, logic and guilt in one sentence.” He said looking over at her.

“I’m sure we can go dutch.” Danni said in a quiet voice.

Mike turned to her and smiled.

“No it’s ok.” he told her. “It will be my pleasure to treat us all to a nice meal.”

Danni smiled at him and he felt his heart thump in his chest before he reached out and took hold of her hand. He gave it a little squeeze before releasing it and opening up his menu.

“So what starters do we want?” Mike asked.

Roman looked over at Ella and smiled at her knowing she had somehow had something to do with Danni seeming happier.

“Breaded Camembert.” Roman read out looking over at Ella.

“I noticed.” Ella grinned.

“Have we decided?” Mike asked glancing at Danni.

“I think I’ll have the seafood cocktail.” Danni told him.

Mike gave her a smile.

“I looked at that.” He told her.

“What are you going for?” Danni asked him.

“Guess.” He murmured.

“The Salmon roulade.” She said glancing back at the menu.

Mike laughed.

“Correct.” He said.

Danni leaned over and kissed him before becoming flustered when he recoiled in shock. Mike quickly caught hold of her hand and stroked her fingers.

“I bet you’ve got lipstick all over me now.” He said keeping his tone light.

Danni shook her head.

“It’s one of those that is kiss proof.” Ella said having lent her the ruby shade of lip gloss earlier that evening.

Roman glanced at her.

“Really?” he asked a light in his eyes.

“Yes.” Ella grinned at him.

“Excuse me are you ready to order?” A waiter appeared at the table.

“Danni?” Mike asked.

“The seafood cocktail for me and my fiancé will have the salmon.” She murmured smiling.

“I’ll have the salmon too.” Roman announced before turning to Ella.

“The Camembert for me.”

“Very good. May I get you any drinks? We have a refreshing white wine that goes with the fish starters.” The waiter suggested naming a particular wine.

“No I think we’ll have some champagne.” Roman announced. “We’re celebrating.”

“Certainly sir.” The waiter murmured and moved away.

“Celebrating?” Mike said.

“Yes, your paying. It’s a wonderful event worthy of celebrating.” Roman teased him.

“Roman.” Ella groaned.

He smiled at her.

“We can’t be too late as we have a plane to catch tomorrow.” Ella said softly.

“No papa joes?” Mike asked with a pout.

Danni immediately laughed at him.

“I told you that you could have gone there anytime this week.” She murmured.

“And I told you that I wanted to be with you. Even if you did spend all week reading.” He said back.

“How was Lily when you spoke to her?” Roman asked breaking into the sudden silence.

“Uh huh.” Ella murmured pouring out a glass of water. “I have the feeling that Irene is never going to babysit again.”

“What is going on with her?” Mike asked. “Thought you had sorted out her issues.”

“So did I but the more time I spend with her the more time she wants. I don’t think she’s going to be happy until I’m with her 24/7.” Ella said with a sigh.

“Tag teaming isn’t working then?” Roman asked her placing his hand on top of hers.

She shook her head.

“I have a couple more tricks to try and then that’s it I’m putting her up for adoption.” Ella said with a small laugh.

She caught Danni giving her a look and she smiled at her.

“You wouldn’t though would you? Give up a baby?” Danni asked quickly.

“We thought about it with Meggy.” Roman said squeezing Ella’s hand as he spoke. “It tore us apart inside thinking about our options. But even if the results of the DNA test were different I don’t think we would have given her up.”

“Really?” Ella asked him.

“We loved her El, from the moment she was born.” He said.

Danni sighed watching them.

“Say it.” Mike encouraged.

“I don’t know how my mother could have done it. I keep thinking about it over and over again.” She murmured with another sigh.

“It could be your mother was young and didn’t have anybody to help her. I know looking after Mike was tough even with Suzanne’s help.”

“Your real grandmother right.” Danni said.

Mike nodded.

“Jennie’s Mum.” He confirmed.

“I lost quite a few contracts because they thought as a single parent I wouldn’t be able to cope.” Ella said to her.

“All these excuses.” Danni said.

“But Danni nothing is black and white. I mean supposing we had decided to give Meggy up do you think we wouldn’t have grieved for her. There would have been no Sammy or any of the others. I couldn’t have brought another baby home knowing that I had given her up.” Ella said quietly.

“What does that say about my mother?” Danni asked. She lapsed into silence when the waiter appeared with the ice bucket and the champagne. He placed it by the table on the delicate stand and removed the bottle showing Roman the label. Roman nodded approval and the bottle was opened with a soft pop sound. He then poured out the sparkling wine in the glasses and placed them around the table.

“Your starters are on the way.” He murmured. “Have you had a chance to select your main courses?”

Roman looked round the table before speaking.

“I’ll have the steak medium rare.”

“Make that two.” Mike said quietly.

Ella picked up the menu and glanced down at it.

“I’ll have the pasta with the mushroom sauce.” She said quickly.

Danni sighed, picking up her menu. She read down it before picking out the trio of pasta mains.

The waiter nodded and collected the menus before turning away.

“It doesn’t say anything about her Danni. We know nothing about her circumstances. It could be she has a large family now because she has been trying to replace the ache in her heart over losing you or she doesn’t have any. She could have been too young and you were a secret baby.” Ella put forward answering Danni’s question. “Anything could have pushed her to make that choice. Are you prepared if you never find out?”

Mike sucked in a breath and looked at Danni seeing her face fall at the question.

“Danni I love you, will you marry me?” he said.

Danni flinched and turned looking at him. She opened her mouth to say something when he placed his finger on her lips.

“I just wanted you to know that I still feel the same and I still want to marry you. Tomorrow regardless of what we find out that is something that isn’t going to change for me.”

Danni shook her head.

“The food is coming.” Ella interrupted them sensing that Danni was about to say something she would later regret.

Danni nodded acknowledging what Ella was trying to do.

The waiter reached they table and began placing plates in front of them.

“Enjoy your meal.” He murmured and stepped away.

“Looks good.” Ella said peering at her plate.

“Not going to purr are you?” Roman asked her.

“I might do.” Ella said looking at him.

“Ma.” Mike muttered. “Still?”

“Hey I like cheese.” Ella murmured. “Get back to your horrible smelly fish.”

“As opposed to your smelly cheese.” Roman said grinning at her.

“My heaven scented cheese.” Ella corrected him.

She picked up her cutlery and began to eat the cheese slowly, taking a bit on to her fork and placing some of the cranberry sauce on to the end before she lifted the fork to her mouth. She emitted a small yum sound as she tasted the cheese.

Roman leaned over to her and whispered in her ear.

“You don’t even make those noises when you are in bed with me.”

Ella glared at him as she blushed fiery red.

Danni looked over at her and giggled.

“You ever get the feeling that when you go out to dinner with them you should have a separate table?” Mike asked her.

Danni nodded as she speared a prawn on to her fork and ate it.

“Nice?” Mike asked.

Danni nodded and put her fork back into the dish taking about prawn on to the end. She held it out to him and he smiled as he took the morsel off the fork. He chewed and swallowed.

“Good.” He declared before doing the same with his salmon for her.

“And you think we are embarrassing.” Ella said smiling as the two of them blushed.

Roman finished his salmon and placed his cutlery down. He glanced at Ella’s plate before picking up his glass.

“This is nice.” He said.

“Dinner out or that disgusting stuff you are calling champagne?” Ella asked.

Roman chuckled.

“We should have gone for pink fizz.” Mike said earning a glare from Ella.

“Do you actually like this?” she asked him.

“It’s ok.” he said to her,

She grinned at him before handing her glass to Roman so he could finish it.

“Thought I wasn’t supposed to get drunk tonight?” he asked her.

“You get drunk on two glasses of fizzy wine and not only will I’d be really surprised but I’d also tap dance on this table later.” Ella said looking at him.

Roman smiled at her.

“That’s a pretty safe bet.” He grumbled. “What do you want to drink?” he asked her.

“I’m fine for the moment.” Ella said softly.

Roman nodded before looking over at Mike and Danni. He picked up the bottle and topped up their glasses.

“Thanks.” Mike said picking up his glass and sipping from it. He finished his salmon and put his plate to one side.

“Was that good?” Danni asked.

“Filled a small gap. Just waiting for my steak now.”

Ella grinned at him as she finished her starter.

“Need your red meat fill huh, caveman?”

“You bet Ma.” He said.

Danni chuckled.

Chapter 107

Ella climbed out of the taxi last. She looked over at the tall gates outside the hospice before turning and looking at the others. Roman had an unreadable expression on his face.

“Is this it?” he asked.

Ella nodded reaching for his hand.

“The gates weren’t here before.” Danni said quickly.

Ella nodded once more.

“Ok?” Mike asked Danni.

She looked at him before stepping over to the gate and pressing the buzzer and speaking into the little box connected to it. After a moment the gates opened and they stepped through them walking up the drive to the old looking house. Roman continued to have that unreadable expression on his face.

“What are you thinking solider?” Ella asked him.

“You really don’t want to know.” Roman said in a quiet tone.

“Hey.” Ella stopped and looked up at him.

“Not now.” He said.

Ella nodded and looked over to the tall imposing brown wooden doors. She sucked in a deep breath as she continued to walk towards them. The door opened and a small woman stood in front of them. Ella wracked her brain to see if she had any memory of her but there was no recognition.

“Hello.” She murmured quietly. “I believe that you are expecting us? Ella Harris.”

“Come on in.” The nun murmured. “I’m Sister Agnes. If you follow me I’ll take you to the admin office.”

“Thank you.” Ella said. She glanced at Mike and Danni before looking over at Roman. She could see by the set of his jaw that he was tense and she frowned before focusing back on the small woman walking in front of them. Her sensible shoes clicked on to the cool tiled floor as she walked.

“The office is just through here. I have had the relevant files brought up from the archives.” Sister Agnes declared.

Ella sucked in a breath as a sudden bought of nerves went through her. She kept expecting to see other nuns in the corridors bustling around.

“Ella.” Roman stopped and looked at her.

“What is it?” she asked him.

“I need to see the room where you kept.” He said quickly.

Ella looked at him and then over his shoulder to Mike and Danni. She saw Mike nod and she bit her lip worriedly.

“Sister.” She called out.

“Yes my dear.” Sister Agnes murmured turning to them.

Ella flinched at the endearment a sudden sense of déjà vu going through her.

“We need to see the room I was in.” Ella said remembering the feel of the hot sun on her all day, unable to get away form it because of the pregnancy keeping her still. Then the hard bed that was so uncomfortable and the feel of the cold floor when she was allowed up to walk to the bathroom. Fragments of memory attacked her and only knowing that Roman was there stopped her from giving in to the pain she was feeling.

“Of course. None of the rooms are used now.” The sister began talking to them as she walked up the main staircase to the upper floor. She took them along the corridor until she stopped outside one of the smaller bedrooms. Putting her hand to her waist she took her keys from her belt and selected one. She unlocked the door with a click before pushing it open wide. Ella saw the dust motes drifting down as she stepped inside. The metal bed was still in place but the mattress was gone.

“Ella.” Danni murmured stepping into the room.

“That sun.” Ella said softly remembering.

Roman walked into the room looking around the bare plaster walls. He went over to the window and looked out of it. He could see the tops of trees and blue sky. Turning and looking at the bed and the small dresser he shook his head.

“Roman.” Ella said softly.

He shook his head at her and turned to the window again.

“Perhaps we could have a moment.” Ella said quietly.

Mike nodded and led Danni out. He guided the nun out too, asking her some questions about the order she belonged too.

“It’s just us.” Ella said after a couple of minutes.

“I’m angry.” Roman said still focused on the scene out of the window.

“Ok.” Ella murmured.

“No El, I’m so angry that I want to hit someone. I want to tear them apart for what you went through.”

“Perhaps I should leave you alone for a few moments.” Ella suggested.

Roman turned to say something to her when he saw her expression. He shook his head before reluctantly smiling. Ella walked over to him and he pulled her into his arms. She felt him shake and sighed.

“I’m sorry I can’t be strong for you right now Ella I’m just.” He stopped and kissed her fiercely.

“It’s ok.” she told him.

“No it’s not.” He growled out. He tore out of her hold and turning he punched the wall feeling the impact stutter through his arm, jarring his shoulder.

“Roman!” Ella gasped as he pulled back his hand to punch the wall again. She stepped forward and grabbed his hand. “Please don’t.” she said quietly.

He shook his head.

“It’s ok.” Ella murmured stepping closer and putting her arms around his waist. She laid her cheek on his shoulder feeling the pounding of his heart.

“El.” He said after a moment.

“We should go down and see the records.” She murmured to him.

He nodded but found himself unable to let her go for a long time.

“It’s in the past. We need to leave it there.” Ella said softly.

“I can’t.” he murmured.

“You have to. We know why my mother did it, doesn’t mean we agree with her.” Ella whispered leaning back and looking into his eyes.

He sighed and stepped back taking hold of her hand and leading her out of the room.

They caught up with Mike and Danni standing at the top of the stairs waiting for them.

“Have you finished with the room?” Sister Agnes asked softly.

Roman nodded.

“We have thank you.” Ella said quietly.

The nun moved away along the corridor to the room leaving them.

“Dad?” Mike asked.

“I’m ok.” Roman murmured.

“I’m just imagining that am I?” he asked gesturing to the Roman’s other hand.

Ella looked down as Roman moved the hand and flexed his fingers.

“Ok it’s a little bit broken.” Roman said.

“Little bit broken?” Ella muttered.

She reached into her handbag and took out her water bottle and unscrewing the top before taking the handkerchief that Mike offered. She soaked the cotton and wrapped that around his hand to keep the swelling down. She took a sip of the water handing the bottle to Roman. He took a long swallow like he was washing out a bad taste in his mouth before giving the bottle back to her. Their eyes met as she recapped the bottle and put it back in her bag.

“Shall we go?” Sister Agnes asked.

Ella nodded and moved out down the stairs followed by the others. Sister Agnes walked ahead of them into the office and sat behind the imposing oak desk. Ella remembered sitting opposite the last time she was there and felt a shudder go through her.

“As per your request I have your file here Mrs Harris.” The nun murmured handing over the buff coloured folder.

Ella looked at it as though it was a poisonous snake before she took a seat and opened up the cover. She saw the same details as last time and gave a small shake of her head before giving the file to Roman.

“Why doesn’t this contain details of my son?” Ella asked.

“I don’t quite understand. The child you had was a girl.” Sister Agnes murmured frowning.

“Perhaps you should do a check of your records for those pertaining to Elizabeth Clark. A boy born on the same date with the name Tobias.” Roman said slowly as he flicked through the paperwork.

Ella looked up at him and saw him give her a slow smile.

Sister Agnes picked up the black ancient looking phone on the desk and made a call repeating the details that Roman had just provided. She replaced the handset and looked over at them.

“Could that be why we weren’t told?” Ella asked Roman.

“I would say so. Clarkson is your mothers maiden name correct?” he asked and saw her nod. “The name that Toby quoted from his birth certificate was Elizabeth Clark. It sounds as though they made a mistake. Might explain why he came to dead end when he was looking for his mother.”

Danni looked at Mike and saw him give her an encouraging smile.

“Is that mine?” Danni asked pointing to the other folder.

“Abandoned Baby Female - Donatella.” Danni read out. “No last name?” she questioned.

“No.” Sister Agnes murmured.

“Open the file Danni.” Mike told her. “We’re right here.” He added when she raised frightened eyes to him.

She nodded and took a deep breath before opening the cover of the file.

“Did you see this before?” Mike asked her.

“No.” she said.

She read out the details on the front page; date, approximate age, weight, and physical attributes.

“I was three months?” Danni asked.

“We believe so. If you turn the page there is the letter that was in the bassinet with you.” Sister Agnes murmured.

Danni looked at Mike and he nodded kneeling down next to her.

“You can do this.” He said softly.

She nodded and slowly turned the page.

“Please take care of this child. Her name is Donatella. She likes her milk warm, not hot and she sleeps nearly all the way through. Thank you.” Danni read out.

Ella took a deep breath and looked over at Danni.

“No birth certificate?” she asked the other woman.

Danni shook her head.

“Did they do anything to trace her parents?” Ella asked the nun.

“We ran newspaper adverts and both the police and Department of Children’s services were informed. After a time you were placed with them and I believe were placed in foster care.” Sister Agnes informed them.

“I guess this is a dead end.” Danni said sadly.

“Not quite.” Ella said. “Seems like you were loved and taken care off but she just couldn’t keep you.”

“Where do you get that from?” Danni asked bitterly wiping at tears pouring down her face.

“Only a loving mother would take the time to make sure that people were informed how you like your milk.” Ella said softly. “If she were just getting rid of an inconvenience she wouldn’t have written that note.”

Danni gasped, sobbing.

“Mike.” Roman murmured.

The other man nodded and stood guiding Danni out of the room and along the corridor.

“We want copies of her file and the original note.” Ella said feeling Roman place his hand on her shoulder.

“I’m not sure we…”

“You will provide it.” Ella said in a tone of voice that brooked no argument.

Sister Agnes stood and moved out of the room with the file. She returned a few minutes later and handed over the copies before placing the original letter on the top of it.

“Thank you.” Ella said sliding them in her bag.

“We also found this. I believe it is what you were looking for.” Sister Agnes added sliding a second file towards her.

Ella glanced at Roman before she opened it and began reading the details.

“He had breathing problems.” Roman said, he too reading the file. “They rushed him to the hospital. Probably explains the mix up in names.”

Ella nodded.

“No picture.” She said disappointed.

“We’d like a copy of this too.” Roman said handing the file back to the nun.

Sister Agnes looked at him before reluctantly standing and moving back out.

“I think you scared her.” Ella said.

Roman smiled.

“Not so happy are you Solider?” Ella asked.

He shook his head.

“Still want to punch a few people.” He said quietly.

Ella stood up and kissed him.

“It’s ok. We have our babies.” She said quietly.

“Need to speak to Danni.” He said after a minute.

Ella nodded, turning when Sister Agnes came back in and handed over a folder.

“Thank you.” Ella said taking it from her and placing it in her bag with the other copies. “And thank you for your time.” she added politely before leading Roman out. They caught up with Mike and a subdued Danni by the gates and walked out with them on to the street outside.

“Sorry that didn’t give you the answers you wanted.” Roman spoke first.

Danni shrugged.

“Makes things easier though.” He added.

Ella looked at him and saw a light in his eyes. She gave him a smile and waited.

“Easier?” Danni asked sounding bitter.

“Yup.” Roman murmured. “I don’t have to fight off another man.”

Danni looked puzzled.

“When I walk you down the aisle.” He finished.

“That isn’t going to happen.” Danni said.

“Exactly.” Roman murmured deliberately misunderstanding her. “I get to be the proud Dad.”

Danni looked at him with tears in hr eyes.

“Because I am you know. I’m a very proud Dad. The way you helped keep the family going when we thought we’d lost Ella. How you befriended Gabby when she first came to us. Going back to school and now college. And finally the way you are there to always help us with looking after the children when we need it. You are a beautiful young lady regardless of where you came from and soon you’ll be doubly special to us when you and Mike finally get married.”

Danni gasped and stepped forward into Roman’s arms and let him hug her. She eased back and looked at Mike when he coughed. He knelt down and took hold of her hand.

“Donatella means beautiful gift.” Mike began. “And you were. I know you regret how you came into our lives but seriously it was the best thing you could have done. Danni Harris will you marry me please?”

Danni nodded.

“Words.” Ella prompted.

“Yes Mike.” Danni murmured.

Mike stood and put her engagement ring back on her finger.

“I am kind of liking the name Donatella a bit now.” Danni said.

“Does that mean we can start calling you that?” Ella asked moving over to hug her.

“No way. I’m still Danni.” She grinned. “Thank you.”

Mike took hold of her hand and looked over at Ella.

“I don’t suppose you got the number for a taxi?” he asked.

Ella shook her head.

“Nice day for a walk.” She said back.

Mike groaned and pulled out his phone and using it surf for a number for a taxi firm before he dialled and ordered a car to pick them up.

Chapter 108

Ella and Roman walked through the door. Both of them tired from the flight and then the drive from the studio. They had told Danni and Mike to stay for another week and just spend a bit of time together.

“We’re home.” Ella called out loudly.

Lily was first to run out of the lounge and over to the door.

“Mama.” She cried out excitedly.

“Hey Mama’s girl.” Ella said picking her up and looking over at Roman. She grinned at him before sticking her tongue out.

“Fine.” He muttered and stuck his good hand in his pocket pulling out a bank note and handing that to her.

“Is that my pocket money?” Sammy asked walking down the stairs towards them.

“No.” Ella said stuffing the bill in her pocket.

She carried Lily into the lounge and saw Liam laying down on the long settee with the cover over him.

“It’s ok he’s just decided he wants a nap.” Irene told her with a grin.

“Hey Liam squeals.” Ella said softly.

“Mama naps?” Liam asked.

“Is that your way of telling me you want a cuddle?” she asked him smiling softly. She didn’t catch the angry expression that went across Roman’s face for a moment.

“Mama cuddle Lily.” Lily demanded.

“Mama cuddle everyone.” Ella corrected giving Lily a quick squeeze before bending down and kissing Liam on his forehead.

She lowered Lily down grinning at the petulant look on her daughter’s face before walking over to the crib and looking in on the baby. She grinned as she saw two wrapped bundles.

“Babysitting for Gabby?” she asked Irene.

“Yup. Little Daniella is as good as gold. They’ve gone looking for a house.”

Ella nodded.

“Thought they were…” Roman began frowning.

“They are very conscious of being in the way of Danni and Mike.” Ella said softly stroking down his back after he’d moved close to her to look in on his granddaughter with his daughter.

“Still.” He said quietly.

“Do we need to talk Mister?” she asked his softly.

“Maybe.” He murmured.

Ella leaned up on tiptoes and kissed his cheek before she headed into the kitchen and put the kettle on.

“How have they been Irene?” Ella asked her.

“Really good. Apart from.” Irene began glancing over at Lily. “Not quite sure what is troubling her but she’s acting out big time.”

“Mum,” Sammy called rushing over to her.

“What?” Ella asked.

“Marcus needs picking up.” He murmured.

“Not till tomorrow.” Ella told him.

“We’re not going to forget him.” Roman added. “We should get uniforms sorted.”

Ella shook her head.

“Did them Thursday.” She said with a grin. “We get to chill out and spend Saturday evening with our feet up.”

“Oh in that case.” He began.

Sammy looked at them before heading back over to the sofa and sitting down next to his brother leaving Ella standing with Roman. She shook her head once more taking down a couple of mugs from the cupbaord.

“Whatever you are planning Mister will have to wait. I’m in need of a coffee and I’m sure Irene could do with a drink.” Ella said quietly. “Then I want to give James a call.”

Roman folded his arms across himself flinching as he jarred his injured hand.

“Going to get that looked at?” Ella asked him.

“Why are you ringing James?” he asked ignoring her question.

“To get him to look for births of female babies with the name Donatella around the area of the hospice.” Ella told him like that was plain.

“Oh of course. Because the file told us nothing and the police….”

Ella sighed and gave Roman a look.

“Fleur was three months old when she was abandoned in the hospital.” Ella said.

“She was small.” Roman commented. “So you are banking on looking at a different time period for Danni’s birth?”

Ella nodded.

“It’s a long shot of course. Which is why I didn’t say anything to her.” Ella murmured before handing Irene a cup of tea. She turned and poured out the coffee she’d made into two cups handing Roman his before taking hers over to the table and sitting down.

“So Danni didn’t find out anything.” Irene asked.

“Not much.” Ella said. “But she and Mike seemed to be a bit better.”

“I think young Danni has been worrying on account of Daniella there.” Irene said slowly.

“What do you mean?” Roman asked.

Ella gave him a look as though she couldn’t believe he had to ask the question.

“Danni want’s a baby.” Ella told him. “But without knowing her background she didn’t know what she could pass on.”

“Exactly.” Irene said with a nod.

“So like birth defects.” Roman murmured.

Ella nodded.

“And of course everyone is going on about how the girl babies look just like me.” She added.

Roman grinned.

“They do. And they act like you.” He murmured with a glance at Lily.

“You want another broken hand to go with that?” Ella muttered turning away from him.

He chuckled and moved to sit at the table next to her.

“So you don’t remember Sophie throwing a plastic teacup at me?” he asked her.

Ella sipped from her cup refusing to answer ignoring Irene’s grin.

“You’ll be please to know that Jai took our Annie out yesterday.” Irene said changing the subject.

“He did?” Ella asked smiling. “That’s great.”

“Are you planning to marry everyone off?” Roman muttered.

Ella nodded.

“I’m working on a match for Sophie at the moment.”

“Oh no you aren’t!” Roman roared out. “She’s not dating until she’s twenty.”

Ella looked at Irene and the two women burst into giggles.

“Think that was funny do you wife?” he asked her.

Ella nodded before leaning over and kissing him.

“You should order pizza now.” She said softly. “I’ve got a feeling that the tribe are about to descend.”

On cue the front door opened with Gabby and Jacob walking in. They had Sophie and Meggy with them fresh from their sleepover and day spent with Angel.

“Hey.” Sophie called running into the lounge and over to Ella. She gave her a hug.

“Is Danni ok? Are they coming home?” she asked.

“Uh huh.” Ella grinned at her before hugging Meggy who had caught up with her sister.

“Danni is fine. I’ve told them to stay at the studio for a bit longer.” Ella explained softly.

“Can I text her? I’ve had a wicked day. We went shopping and I bought this dress that comes down to here.” Sophie said in a rush gesturing with her hand.

Ella gave Roman a sideways look and saw him smile.

“Of course you can text her.” Ella said softly. “How’s my Meggy girl?”

“I’m good.” Meggy said with a grin. “Apparently my taste in clothes is babyish.”

“Good.” Roman muttered under his breath.

“I got these dungarees.” Meggy went on speaking.

“Sound good.” Ella said softly stroking her hair back from her face.

“And some strapless tops.” She added.

Roman spat his coffee out in shock and was about to say something when he saw Ella grinning at him.

“You’ll be able to wear them loads.” Ella told her daughter.

Meggy grinned and nodded before disappearing over to sit with Sammy.

“How was my baby?” Gabby asked peering into the crib.

“Good as gold.” Irene told her.

“Are you staying for a bit?” Ella asked.

Gabby looked at Jacob and saw him nod before she moved over to the table and eased into a seat.

“Find anything?” Ella asked.

Gabby turned up her nose and shook her head.

“It wasn’t that bad.” Jacob said with a grin. “Close to Nic’s place.”

Gabby shook her head.

“Sorry it was awful and the rent we would be paying for that dump?” she muttered folding her arms.

Jacob sat down next to Gabby looking at his wife.

“Well we need to think seriously about what we are going to do. Mike and Danni shouldn’t have to go to the studio for some alone time.” Jacob pointed out.

“They didn’t.” Ella interrupted. “It’s been stressful for them with study and a few other things going on so they went to get a break. Thought it would do you two some good to bond with the baby without them.”

Gabby sighed and looked over at Jacob.

“How about we still look for a place but don’t rush it?” she suggested.

“Who’s looking for a place?” Sophie asked picking up on the conversation.

“I am.” Ella said. “I’m moving out and leaving you all here.”

“Mum I’m like 13 almost.” Sophie said quickly.

Ella grinned at her.

“It’s a bit crowded in the pool house for two couples and a baby so they’ve been looking for another place.” She explained softly to her.

“What about she and Jacob take the attic? I don’t mind sharing with Meggy?” Sophie suggested.

“Sophie.” Gabby murmured. “You don’t have to panic, if we do find a place it will only be until the stables are done.”

Sophie nodded still biting her lip.

“Why don’t you ring and order the pizza Sophie.” Roman told her.

She looked at him before heading over to the phone.

“What are we having?” she asked.

“Gabby you staying?” Ella asked.

“Would love to but I’m actually exhausted.” She murmured. “And like seriously you coped with twins?”

Ella smiled and stood up tucking her chair under the table.

“Leave her here for a bit if you want?” she murmured.

Gabby grinned at the expression on Jacob’s face and nodded. The two of them standing up and walking out the back.

“I’m going to shoot off too Darl.” Irene announced. “Expecting a call form his nibs.”

“Give Daddy my love.” Ella said going over and kissing the other woman on her cheek. “Thank you for babysitting.”

“It was a pleasure.” Irene said easing up and moving out the back door.

“So just us then?” Sophie muttered looking around the room.

Ella moved to her side and picked up the menu off the counter. She jotted down the order for her and Sophie made the call. Walking over to the sofa she sat down next to Meggy grinning as Lily immediately climbed into her lap.

“What are we watching?” Ella asked.

“Jus’ keep swimming.” Lily quoted.

She grinned at her daughter.

“Finding nemo?” Roman asked. “Again? Didn’t I hide this somewhere?”

“S’ok we finds it.” Lily told him.

Roman chuckled and stood clearing cups from the table. He ruffled Sophie’s hair as he walked past her and over to where Ella was sitting collapsing into a seat next to her. He put his arm around her and leaned back. The tension and emotion of the day had left him drained and closing his eyes for a moment he slipped slowly into sleep.

“That’s a first.” Sammy murmured.

“What?” Meggy asked.

“Dad asleep and mum still awake.” Sammy pointed out.

“Hey.” Ella grouched.

Sammy and Meggy looked at her and giggled.

“Is Dad ok?” Sophie asked sitting on the floor next to her mother.

“Yeah he’s fine Princess.” Ella said to her. She stroked her hair down before selecting some and parting it into three. She began plaiting it before doing the same again the other side.

“Well cool.” Meggy cried out softly.

“Do you want to get me some bands Meggy?” Ella asked grinning.

Meggy shot off out of the room.

“Mum.” Sophie began.

“What is it?” Ella said.

“If you weren’t my Mum would you think I was pretty?” she murmured.

Meggy returned carrying a brush and some hair bands smiling as Ella took them form her and putting pink and black bands on Sophie’s hair.

“Scoot over ” she told her.

Meggy grinned and took her place.

“I can’t really answer your question Sophie because I think you are beautiful. Your cheeks are identical. You have your Daddies eyes, beautiful blue. And your nose is amazing. How can I resist that nose it’s just like mine?” Ella said softly. “And you have 9 freckles.”

“I do?” Sophie asked.

“How many do I have Mummy?” Meggy asked.

“You have eleven.” Ella told her. “Lily has 6 freckles and Fleur has 6.”

“How about Gabby?” Sophie asked grinning at her.

“She has 8 freckles on her nose.” Ella murmured.

“We’re going to count.” Meggy warned her.

“I know.” Ella grinned. She finished the plait in Meggy’s hair and put the band in it.

“There you go.” She murmured. “And when your two disappear to go check freckles you might want to go into the study and collect the album marked Sophie from birth on the shelf behind the door.”

Sophie grinned and jumped up. She looked down and Meggy and smiled.

“Eleven.” She told her.

“Seriously?” Meggy asked.

She stood up and ran out of the room with Sophie.

“How many…” Sammy began to ask.

“Three.” Ella said to him.

He grinned and returned attention to the film.

Meggy and Sophie walked back in with the photo album and placed it in her mother hands. She patted the sofa next to her and Sophie sat down squeezing up close so Meggy could sit next to her. Ella placed the album in Sophie’s lap and turned the pages. The first photo she showed her was the one of her dancing in the stone circle.

“Wow Sophie.” Meggy cried out. “You look like a fairy princess.”

“I do look kinda cute.” Sophie said after a minute.

Ella smiled at her before turning more pages and showing her more photos.

“You did this for me?” Meggy asked.

“I did it for all of you.” Ella told her. “There are loads more.”

“Can I go get mine?” Meggy asked.

Ella nodded.

“It’s on the same shelf.” She told her.

Meggy jumped up and ran out to the study returning a moment later with a photo album. She sat at Ella’s feet and balanced it on her knees as she looked in it.

“You didn’t take this one?” Meggy asked looking at a picture of her sitting on the sofa with her Mum beside her. “Was that Sammy?” she added.

Ella smiled and stroked her hair.

“That one is your Daddy’s favourite picture and yes that was Sammy in my tummy.”

“Did Daddy take it? We don’t have many pictures of you Mummy.” Meggy murmured.

“Daddy took it on his phone.” Ella said quietly.

“We don’t have many photos of you.” Roman told her. “Sophie when are you going to get your camera going?”

“Shush you’re asleep.” Ella murmured.

Meggy giggled.

“Hey Sophie remember this one?” Meggy said after a moment.

She pointed to a photo that had been shot at the studio when they had all dressed up.

“I have one too see.” Sophie said slipping off the sofa and showing Meggy the one in her album.

“That’s cool!” Meggy exclaimed. “They are different.”

“Me’s pretty.” Lily told them looking at the photos.

Roman opened his eyes and looked down at them.

“How about you do me a picture with you and your beautiful daughters?” he asked Ella.

She gave him and look and nodded.

“Just for you.” She murmured.

He smiled at her and grinned as someone knocked at the door.

“Pizza?” he asked.

“Better be.” Ella murmured.

Roman eased off the sofa bending down to kiss Ella before he went to the door. He opened it and accepted the boxes before paying the bill.

Ella kissed Lily before lifting her off her lap and standing up.

“Mum can we look at more photos sometime?” Sophie asked.

“You can look at anything as long as you put them back after.” Ella told them.

“Cool.” Meggy said grinning at her sister.

Ella walked into the kitchen smiling at Roman.

“Ok Solider?” she asked him.

“I will be if you put your arms around me right now.” He told her.

“And what if I don’t?”

“I’ll be forced to teach you a lesson later tonight when the kids are ion bed.”

“Ouh I like the sound of that.” Ella chuckled before stepping next to him. She wrapped her arms around his neck and stood on tiptoes kissing his softly. She smiled when he put his arms tight around her.

“Ok you are freaking me out now.” Ella said to him.

“I’m just.” Roman stopped. “How did you stand it?”

“I can’t explain what it was like because even now I don’t really know. There are just bits and pieces in my head like flashes.” Ella told him. “Would we have coped if we’d had the twins and Mike?”

“I don’t know.” Roman murmured. “I would have been away and then there is the Mark stuff. I don’t think that I would have let myself be there for you.”

Ella nodded before kissing him again.

“So in a way it worked out best.” She murmured. “Of course I would have loved to see their first steps and hear their first words but we are better now because we can be their parents and be together.”

“Uh huh Mrs Harris I’ll remind you of that the next time you try and leave me.” Roman told her.

“Which will be in about five minutes if I can’t get my pizza.” Ella growled at him.

Chapter 109

Ella eased out of bed and moved over to the nursery. She picked up the crying Fleur and rocked her gently in her arms moving over to the window and looking at the full moon.

“Need a bottle?” Roman asked from the doorway, his voice tired sounding.

Ella nodded.

“Please.” She murmured. “Actually, I’ll take her downstairs and do it. Go back to bed husband.”

“I’m already up.” He said with a shrug.

“Ok.” Ella whispered.

She walked over to the changing table and grabbed a blanket tucking it around her baby daughter before moving out of the nursery and walking ahead of Roman down the stairs. Stepping barefoot on the cool kitchen floor she gave a little gasp before rushing to the fridge and taking out a bottle. She put the kettle on to boil and moved over through to the lounge.

“Roman.” Ella began.

“What?” he muttered he was facing the front window and looking out.

“What is troubling you?” she asked him.

“Nothing.” He answered. “That is the kettle I’ll go see to the bottle.”

Ella looked at him in the half light from the single lamp he’d turned on and nodded.

“Come on little girl dinner is coming. You can hush up now.” Ella murmured softly. She glanced over at the clock on the mantel piece and sighed.

“It’s the same time every night.” Roman said quietly.

“I know.” Ella said.

“The same time you used to wake up crying.” He added.

Ella looked at him and bit her lip.

“Why didn’t you come to me and tell me?” he asked.

“Because.” Ella said adjusting her daughter to her other side and rocking her once more.

“Because?” he prompted.

“You would have told me I was imaging things.” Ella said. “Or that it was just the grief or the depression.”

Roman nodded.

“I keep thinking we are ok and that we are coping with this.” He murmured.

“I know.” Ella whispered.

“But there is still something between us that isn’t right.” He added.

She looked at him and nodded holding her breath. She knew he needed to talk and she had to listen but sensed that whatever he said wasn’t going to be good.

“So where do we go?” he asked her.

“Where do you want to go Roman?” she asked him. “Throughout all this I’ve felt hatred from you. I’ve never felt that before.”

He gave her a look before heading into the kitchen and fetching the bottle. He walked back and handing it over to her smiling as she moved the baby again and began to feed her. Fleur greedily sucked on the bottle drinking down the milk.

“If I said I wanted to leave.” He began.

“I would ask if you wanted me to stop you or let you go.” Ella murmured.

“If I said that I think we should split up.” He said looking at her.

“I would ask if you mean tonight or in twenty years?” Ella said to him.

Roman gave her a half smile.

“If I said that we should go to bed and hold each other?” he asked.

“I would ask if you could cope with my cold feet?” Ella grinned at him.

Roman moved over to her and kissed her.

“Roman what do you really want?” she asked him.

He shrugged.

“I don’t know Ella.” He said after a moment.

“You need to figure it out.” she said handing him Fleur. “But if you were to ask me I think I’m not the one you are angry at.”

“Who then?” he said looking at his daughter as he gave her the remains of the bottle.

“William. He triggered this but you can’t get to him. And if you do get to him you need to make sure you can get August back.”

Roman looked at her and sighed.

“Then what is it between us?” he asked.

“I don’t know. I feel this anger from you…”

“Do I frighten you?” he asked suddenly interrupting her.

Ella looked at him.

“A little but not in that way.” She told him biting her bottom lip. “Not in bed.” She clarified.

“El.” He whispered.

She moved to his side and put her arm around his waist standing up on tiptoe and kissing him.

“But the thing is as much as this stuff is hurting us there is so much that is good between us. Showing you the hospice scared me because I had no idea how you’d react but you were amazing. And I so fell in love with you over the way you spoke to Danni.” She said to him.

“That got to you did it?” he asked grinning.

Ella nodded.

“Why don’t you go to the city and spend some time with Jacko and the boys?” she asked him. “Do some brainstorming and see what you come up with.”

“I don’t want to leave you.” He said and looked at her and grinned as he’d answered his own question of earlier.

“I’ll be fine. Mike is here.” She told him. “Irene can help with the kids or cover your shifts.” She pointed out.

He shook his head.

“I’ll think about it.” he told her. “So it’s not a flat out no.”

“Yet.” She added on to his sentence.

“I think she is done.” He murmured showing Ella the empty bottle.

Ella nodded and reached out placing a cloth over his shoulder as he moved the baby to wind her. Ella took the bottle from him and walked into the kitchen. She couldn’t help the little sound that escaped as she padded barefoot on the cold floor and heard Roman chuckle as she moved back over to him.

“Are we going back to bed?” Ella asked.

He nodded.

“I better put my bed socks on then.” She murmured.

Roman chuckled again before moving over to the lamp and clicking it out. He put his arm around Ella and led her upstairs. She kissed him and moved into the bedroom leaving him to change Fleur and put her back down to sleep. He watched his daughter for a moment before heading into the bedroom and back to Ella’s side.

“Hey.” He said softly seeing her sitting up in bed.

“Come here.” She beckoned him to the bed smiling as he grinned and moved quickly to her side. He slipped under the covers and moved into her arms smiling as he felt her lips pressing gentle kisses to the side of his neck.

“I do love you.” Roman told her.

“I know. I feel it now.” She said to him.

“uh huh. What is it you are feeling right now?” he asked and she chuckled.

“Not that, unless that was a hint?” she grinned up at him. “No I mean…” she began to explain.

“El.” He murmured easing back and looking at her.

She smiled at him.

“I feel very loved.” She told him. “And cared for.”

“I do.” He said looking into her eyes. “I also want to protect you.”

“And there comes the anger.” She whispered kissing him.

“Maybe.” He admitted. “I hate myself a little right now because I should have listened to you more.”

“I’m not so happy with me either. I knew I was down even before I had the babies. Instead of letting us have the wedding I should have postponed it and spent some time working on us.” She admitted. “First the Chris stuff and then the pregnancy.”

Roman smiled.

“Well tough.” He said. “We’re married and right now I don’t really want to talk.”

“I have to say I noticed.” Ella smiled at him. “Something pointed to that conclusion.”

“Had to use a sentence with pointed in it didn’t you?” he asked grinning at her.

She nodded.

“One last question.” She said kissing him slowly.

“Go on then but then I’m planning to keep those lips of yours busy for a long time.” He said with a passionate look on his face.

“Are we ok?” she asked him sounding uncertain.

Roman nodded.

“I’m still trying to process what you went through in that hospice El, and it makes me mad that I wasn’t around to protect you. I don’t want to leave you and I really don’t want to lose you. Thank you for tonight.”

“You’re thanking me?” she asked sounding incredulous.

“For letting me say that stuff and not getting mad.” He told her. “It could so easily have gone bad.” He added and shuddered.

“Yup.” She agreed with him.

He looked at her and grinned shaking his head before kissing her. He felt her hands stroking down his body before she encircled him and stroked him more intimately.

“Very nice.” He whispered his voice husky. “Don’t stop.”

Roman heard her voice as she greeted Colleen and he moved to the front of the diner.

“Hello you.” He murmured leaning down and kissing her.

“Hey yourself. I’m here to kidnap you.” Ella said to him.

Roman looked at her and peeled off his apron putting it in the kitchen before grabbing his things and moving out to stand at Ella’s side.

“Ok I’m ready.” He told her grinning.

She reached out and stroked down his back ignoring the contented little sigh he murmured and began walking out with him.

“Where are the babies?” he asked.

Ella reached down and took hold of his hand.

“Nic is keeping the terrible two and Irene is looking after Fleur. So I was thinking a nice walk along the beach and then home for some lunch and a swim.” She told him with a smile.

“Sounds good so far.” He murmured pulling her into his arms and kissing her. “Thank you.”

“For what?” she asked him.

“Making me feel loved.” He told her. “Spending time with me as my lovely wife.”

“You are just trying to talk me into the sand dunes aren’t you?” Ella grinned at him.

“Will it work?” he asked her unable to stop the smile on his face as he saw her blush.

“No.” she gasped out lifting her hands to her cheeks.

Roman caught hold of one of her hands and began walking with her along the sea front.

“So anyway.” Ella began.

“Anyway?” Roman asked.

“Have you thought about going to spend some time in the city with the boys?” she asked him softly.

“Not really. To be honest I would be scared about being so far away from you.” He muttered.

“But you’d have a break and maybe some distance to sort though your feelings.” Ella pointed out.

“I don’t need a break, not from you.” He said quickly. “I admit that I’ve been bottling up a few things El. We barely sort out how we are feeling about one thing when another comes along and slaps us.”

“Yeah it does feel like that.” Ella said with a sigh.

“And the arguments we’ve had.” He gave a little moan remembering some of the things they had said to each other.

“You mean the arguments I’ve won.” Ella told him.

Roman stopped dead and tugged on her hand. She turned and looked at him a smile on her face. He tugged her closer and leaned down kissing her.

“Uh huh Mrs Harris.” He murmured feeling her free hand stroking down his back once more. She smiled at him and they began walking once more.

“I’m still angry that we grieved separately for the babies.” He said at last.

“I know.” Ella murmured. “I keep flashing back to crying on my own.”

“Don’t get mad.” Roman said hurriedly.

“Er ok.” Ella said.

“Your referring to the time just after we found out about Gardy/William and I left you in the bedroom aren’t you?” he asked glancing out at the waves crashing on the beach.

“Yes.” She said quietly.

“I left you alone because I was still angry.” He finally said after a few moments. “You shouldn’t have arranged the funerals by yourself. You should have come to me.”

Ella sucked in a breath and felt her temper rise.

“Why should I have come to you?” she asked keeping her anger out of her voice with difficulty.

“Because I’m your husband and I should have taken care of you.” He answered turning to look at her.

“Ok.” Ella said. “So you left me crying alone because…”

“Because I felt you didn’t need me. I felt angry and left out. I felt like you hated me, blamed me in some way.”

Ella looked at him and nodded.

“They may all have been true at some point. I felt so useless as a wife, as a mother, as a woman. Then I remembered what you’d said about when we lost Francesca about how you’d had to deal with all the arrangements.” She told him. “But I did need you. I’m always going to need you.”

“I’m glad.” He said starting to walk again.

“Have we just had an adult conversation without the mention of divorce?” Ella asked giving him a smile.

“Our problem Mrs Harris is that we are both very stubborn people and there are very few things we can throw at each other without mentioning the big stuff.” He said after a moment.

“And there I was thinking it was because you didn’t like to admit that I’m right.” She said.

Roman stopped dead and looked at her before he tugged her into his arms again and gave her a passionate kiss.

“You are impossible.” He said.

“And you knew this when you married me.” Ella shot back grinning at him. “Again.”

Roman smiled.

“I love you.” He told her.

Ella turned and looked at him before stepping forward and close to him. She placed her hand on his face and looked into his eyes.

“I love you.” She murmured. “So I’m here for you if you need to talk to me. I’m also happy to take care of the children if you need to go away for a while. As much as you want me to be ok I want you to also be ok.”

Roman nodded and responded by lifting Ella off her feet and holding her full length against his body. He held her for a long time before easing her down to her feet.

“We should go back and have some lunch.” Ella said softly and turned walking back along the beach. Roman by her side.

Archived