Broken

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 51

“Morning.” Roman called out to Ella watching her walk towards him.

“Hey.” She said softly. “Kids ok?”

He nodded.

“Sammy is getting a fried breakfast he’s fine!” he told her gesturing to the eggs he was cooking.

Ella nodded and stepped forward kissing him.

“And even better I get a kiss from my wonderful wife.” He smiled at her.

She stroked down his back.

“Did you see Gabby and Jacob last night?”

Roman nodded looking at the eggs.

“Yes, walking in together, hand in hand.” He grinned as Ella leaned up and kissed his cheek.

“Think they will be ok?” she asked him.

“You are asking me?” Roman scoffed. “I know nothing about relationships.”

She grinned and walked through to the dining room siting at the table she pour out a cup of coffee for herself and looked over at Lily, William and Mira. All three were sitting together and eating a breakfast of cereal.

“Mummy.” Sophie called running in to the room.

“Morning Missy.” Ella said softly.

“Sorry!” Sophie gasped. “When we go shopping on Saturday are we going on Friday evening and staying over or on Saturday morning?” she asked in a rush.

Ella shrugged.

“Not certain. Probably Saturday.”

Roman moved through with the plates of food for Sammy and Georgie.

“You can go Friday if you want? Take the girls out to dinner or something.” He murmured to her.

Ella shook her head.

“It will be too much with the sleepover Saturday night.” She said quietly.

“We’re having Marcus over?” Sammy cried out.

Ella nodded to her son frowning slightly at him. His hair was in need of another cut and she gave him a rueful glance when he pushed his fringe out of his eyes.

“You’re having a sleepover without us?” Robbie asked quickly. He looked up when Roman placed a plate of food in front of him and also Tyler.

“Mummy.” Sammy cried out.

“No.” she told him back. “It’s too much. I don’t want a load of kids running around screaming.”

“I won’t scream I promise!” Tyler said looking sad.

Ella grinned and stood moving over to Tyler. She pressed a kiss to his head.

“Fine you lot can have a sleepover.” She told him.

Robbie grinned and turned to Sammy giving each other a high five.

“So back to us.” Sophie cried out grinning at Angel sitting down next to her. “Can I spend my pocket money? Will we get any spending money? Are we going to buy clothes?”

“Woah.” Roman murmured placing plates of food in front of them. “Enough plotting. You need to focus on eating breakfast and getting ready for school. Where’s your sister?”

“I’m here.” Meggy called moving over to the table.

She collapsed in the seat that Ella had just gotten out of.

“What have you done with your hair?” Ella asked slowly.

Meggy touched her hand up to her hair.

“Nothing.” She cried out.

“Looks a little blonde to me.” Ella said glancing at the three girls.

“It’s not.” Meggy said slowly.

Ella walked over to her placing her cup on the table. She touched her daughters’ hair and groaned.

“What did you use?” she asked them.

“It was a packet of stuff that Angel had.” Meggy cried out.

“Well you aren’t going to school this morning. Go upstairs and fetch the packet.” Ella told her.

“We followed the instructions on the box.” Angel murmured.

“I’m sure you did but Meggy has very dark hair and the bleach was left on too long for it.” Ella said to her.

“Is it bad?” Meggy cried out.

“Meggy go upstairs and find the box for me please.” Ella said again.

Meggy looked at her sister before running out of the room.

Ella looked at Angel and Sophie.

“Shopping is cancelled. I will leave your punishment to your parent Angel but be aware that Sophie is grounded for 2 weeks.”

“Mum!” Sophie cried out. “She wanted it done.”

“You do not use chemicals like that without supervision. Bleach could have burnt her.” Ella said quietly.

Sophie cried out before sprinting up from the table and making to run out of the room.

“Sit.” Ella said holding her hand up to her.

“Mummy.” She said tremulously.

“It’s done now. You’ve had your punishment. Now eat your breakfast. Make a bigger scene and the punishment will get worse.” Ella warned her.

“Here it is Mummy.” Meggy cried out running back in with the box.

Ella took it from her and read the instructions.

“Now sit down and eat breakfast.” She told her.

“Thanks to you I’ve been grounded.” Sophie hissed at Meggy as she sat down next to her.

“Sophie Nicole Harris.” Ella muttered. “Add another week for that.”

The group around the table lapsed into an embarrassed silence with Sophie still glaring at her sister as Ella strode into the kitchen.

“Ok.” Roman murmured.

She shook her head.

“You’re grounded too.” She muttered to him.

“Woohoo! No work!” he cried out. “er.. what for?”

“Because you got me pregnant so it’s all your fault.”

Roman laughed and moved over to her.

“I’m pretty sure you didn’t actually stop me.” He whispered quietly. “In fact you enjoyed it.”

He placed his arms around her waist and kissed her back of her neck She eased away from him and gave him a look.

“Where is my breakfast?” she asked him slowly.

Roman chuckled.

“What would you like?” he asked her.

Ella sighed and looked around at the mess on the tops.

“I don’t know.” She muttered. “Actually.” She looked at him and paled. “I don’t feel well.”

“Ella?” Roman asked.

She shook her head and pulled out of his hold and ran for the stairs running up them. She shot through their bedroom and over to the en suite.

Roman looked at her running out and the room and swore under his breath. He turned the cooker off and followed her at a slower pace after grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge. He moved through the bedroom and into their en suite.

“El.” He called out.

“I’m fine it was the fried food.” She murmured.

“Of course it was.” He agreed with her handing her the bottle.

She took a careful sip of the cold water looking up at him from her seat on the floor by the toilet. Roman moved carefully around her and wet the face cloth under the tap before easing down and gently bathing her face.

“Ok?” he asked her.

Ella nodded a tear slipping down her cheek.

“Roman.” She said his name in a sad tone of voice.

“No.” he told her. “It can’t have happened.”

“Once for Sammy.” she pointed out.

“No Ella.” He groaned his eyes meeting hers.

“Why am I sick then Roman?” she asked him.

“Because you hate the smell of fried food and you hate the smell of meat cooking. You aren’t pregnant Ella.”

“I had unprotected sex three times.” She said quietly.

“I know I was there at the time. At least I hope you’re talking about me.” Roman murmured trying to get her worried gaze to meet his. She looked up at him finally and then took a long sip of the water.

“Ok.” she said softly.

“Stay there.” he instructed.

He kissed the top of her head before walking out of the room and over to his bedside cabinet. He returned to her side after a moment and sat back with her.

“Here.” He told her.

Ella took the packet from him and looked inside.

“A pregnancy test?” she muttered frowning.

Roman nodded pushing a hand through his blonde hair.

“I bought it the other day. I thought..” he began. “I hoped that we wouldn’t need it.” he confessed looking into her eyes.

“I can’t.” Ella cried out.

“I’m right here Ella right by your side. We’ll put it in the cabinet.” Roman said seeing that she was beginning to shake in front of him. “It’s there if you need it ok.”

Ella nodded slowly trying to smile at him.

He bent down and helped her to her feet.

“Keeping Meggy off school?” he asked in a normal tone of voice.

She nodded.

“She has to get her hair sorted out. I don’t think they mixed it right.”

“They’ll hate you for the cancelled shopping trip.” He pointed out.

“They need to be grateful I’m not cancelling the sleepover.”

“Oh that would be an all out riot.”

“Roman.” She said with a little cry.

“Yes?” he asked.

“Hold me.” She begged huskily.

He wrapped his arms around and kissed the top of her head.

“We will be ok, promise.” He said to her.

“Yeah right. I can’t..” her voice broke. “I’m exhausted.” She confessed.

“I know.” He whispered. “You need some sleep El. I’ll have Liam with me and you sort Meggy out. Then ..”

“Roman you’re exhausted too. We need our babies back. We need to know who is doing this to us.” She cried out agitated.

“I know Ella. We need to speak to Jacko and Pete to discover what they found out.” he said calmly stroking his hand down her back. “If you’re feeling better lets go downstairs.”

She nodded letting him lead her down the stairs and through to the lounge.

“Sit down.” he murmured.

“What’s up?” Gabby asked.

“Nothing.” Roman told her quickly.

“I’m taking everyone except Meggy and Liam?” she asked.

Roman nodded.

“Have you finished breakfast?” he asked them glancing at his watch.

“Yes.” Georgie told him glancing at the others.

“Sophie clear the table please. Everybody upstairs and wash your face and clean your teeth.”

Roman watched as the kids moved away from the table with the exception of Meggy and Sophie.

“You too Meggy.” Roman murmured.

She gave him a look before moving out of her seat and walking carefully out of the room.

“Morning.” Nic called out softly walking into the room.

“Coffee Nic.” Roman asked her.

“Only if it comes with headache pills.” She muttered.

“That’s enough Sophie. Go get ready.” Ella said standing up and moving to the table.

Sophie gave her a look before running out of the room.

“Was it something I said?” Nic asked sarcastically.

“No. But you may be saying something. Angel and Sophie decided to bleach Meggy’s hair last night.”

“I thought there was something different about her this morning.” Gabby murmured.

“I didn’t even notice. But then I don’t think I would notice anything this morning.” Nic groaned. “What did you decide as punishment?” she asked sinking into a seat.

Roman came out of the kitchen and placed the coffee and the tablets in front of his daughter.

“No shopping. Sophie is grounded for two weeks.” Ella murmured.

“Thought it was three?” he asked her.

“You think I want that at home three weeks?” Ella muttered folding her arms. “When they say punishment they really mean for the parents.” She added.

Roman gave her a small smile.

“Gab’s want anything?” he asked his elder daughter.

“No I’m fine.” She grinned.

“We’ve got the kids schoolbags in the car.” Nic said after a moment of silence.

Roman chuckled.

“You’ll have to make two trips.” He warned Gabby.

“I know. I’ll take Ella’s car and do the kids first then the babies second.”

Ella nodded.

“Ok lets get them loaded up.” Gabby grinned and moved out the front with Ella’s keys in her hand. She depressed the button unlocking the car seeing the front and rear lights flash on and off. She turned away for a fraction of a second unaware that particular action saved her life.

The car exploded in a ball of orange flame sending metal fragments in every direction. Gabby heard Ella scream her name and felt her legs collapse out from under her sinking to the floor of the veranda. The half turn of her head meant that the metal shooting off in her direction missed her by millimetres imbedding into the soft wood of the door behind her.

“Gabby Gabby.” Ella cried out running to her daughter. She checked her neck searching for a pulse. “Thank god.” She cried out feeling the regular beat.

“Ella.” Roman murmured.

“Let me look.” Aden cried out. It was obvious he had just gotten out of bed, his hair tousled and bare-chested.

“Oh my god.” Mike muttered starring at the car burning on the drive.

“Ella.” Roman said again. “Step out of the way.”

He moved over to her and lifted her up taking her out the way.

“What is going on?” Jacko said running down the stairs a gun in his hand.

“Mummy?” Sophie cried out.

“Kids go to your room. Georgie put a film on. No school today.” Roman murmured.

Nic wiped at the tears coursing down her face as Gabby’s limp form is lifted from the floor and over to the sofa. She sucked in a deep breath and lifted Mira from the high chair hugging her close before lowering her to her feet. She did the same with Lily and led the two girls up to the children’s room before making the next trip with Liam instructing the children to watch them. She returned down the stairs the second time to see Jacko and Pete checking out the remaining cars. Gabby was sitting up next to a subdued Jacob, Mike and Danni standing nearby with Toby. The room seemed filled with people and she walked over to Geoff and into his arms acknowledging Irene and Annie comforting a shocked Belle next to a shocked Amy-Belle. And then she met Ella’s gaze and she flinched at the raw pain on her face. Once more her children were threatened. Nic sucked in a deep breath as she thought about the bomb going off a couple of minutes later and she met Ella’s eyes knowing the same thought was going through her head.

Ella pulled away from Roman and walked out of the room and up the stairs. She pulled out a suitcase and began packing all her clothes.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here you go!

The Kids:

Aden and Belle's:

Bret 21

Amy-belle 17

Tyler Andrew 10

Nic and Geoff's:

Angel 13

Robbie 10 (3 months difference between him and Tyler)

Mira 3 years

Roman and Ella's:

Mike 22

Gabby and Tobias 21 (7 months difference between her and Mike)

Danni 20

Georgie and Sophie 12 & Georgie is 23 minutes older than Sophie.

Meggy 11 (81/2 months younger than the twins!)

Sammy 9

Lily Alyssa 29 months

William 21 months

August and Fleur - 3 months

Chapter 52

Ella paused as Roman stood in the doorway.

“What is going on?” he asked her.

“I’m leaving.” Ella murmured.

“You can’t Ella.” Roman muttered watching as she ignored him and began filling a second suitcase.

“I’m leaving and you can’t stop me. I don’t want to be here anymore.” She said slowly.

She turned and looked at him as she spoke.

“Why?” he asked her unable to believe that his voice was so unemotional as he spoke.

“Because this is messed up Roman. He’s after me. Trying to get at me through my children. If I’m not around them they are safe.” She told him quietly.

“I agree it is messed up. But you aren’t leaving.” He folded his arms across his chest.

Ella ignored him and continued collecting her clothes.

“Ella are you even listening to me?” Roman asked. “You can’t leave. If he is after you do you think that being on your own is the right choice? How are you planning to protect yourself?”

She looked at him and bit her lip.

“El?” he asked after a moment.

He shook his head and moved over to her dragging her into his arms.

“Charlie is on her way. Jacko and Pete want to talk to us.” He murmured. “You aren’t leaving Ella. All this proves is that he’s getting desperate. He’s made a mistake now because we are going to track him down.”

Ella shook her head and pulled back from him.

“I can’t give back my wedding ring as some symbolic gesture here but I am leaving you Roman. I’m going to the studio.” She said to him looking him in the eyes.

“So what do you plan to do with the children?” he asked her trying to keep the bitter note out of his voice.

“Lily and Liam with Gabby. I think they’ll be safer if they go stay near Toby. The others in boarding school.” She announced to him.

“Nice of you to arrange where our kids are going without speaking to me. After all I am their father.” He said sarcastically.

Ella looked at him and folded her arms.

“Prove it.” she murmured. “By the time you’ve got the court to enforce DNA tests I’ll have them out of the country.”

“Ella Harris.” He swore after saying her name and then stepped back looking at her. “That’s what you want isn’t it? An argument? For me to lose my temper with you? It will make it so much more convenient for you to pack up and leave.” He shot out scathingly.

Ella shook her head and made to move past him.

“Talk to ma Ella what are you afraid off?” he asked catching hold of her arm.

She looked down at his hand and then into his eyes.

“I’m afraid of nothing.” She told him. “Except staying here with you.”

Roman looked at her and shook his head before he let go of her arm. He strode out of the bedroom and down the stairs.

“Is Ella coming down?” Jacko asked him.

Roman shrugged and moved into the kitchen pouring out a cup of strong coffee for himself. He wanted a whisky, a large slug of it to numb himself for what he had to go through, what he needed to listen too but knew that he couldn’t afford that numbness now. He had to bring out the solider in him and focus on the mission. He had to protect his family and so far he felt like a failure. First Gardy, then Elliot and now, god knows who it was but he had to make damn sure that this was as close as they got to hurting his family.

“Hardcore?” Pete murmured quietly.

Roman turned and looked at the other man. He saw Ella standing nervously at the bottom of the stairs and he reached out his hand to her.

She nodded and ran over to him taking hold of his hand before kissing him.

“Sorry.” She whispered.

“Don’t do it again.” He murmured.

She looked at him and shook her head.

“It’s still a solution.” She told him.

“A stupid one.” He muttered. “And just think how much sex you’ll have to offer me to make up for it.”

Ella glared at him and blushed.

“You.” She muttered slapping his arm.

“In fact you might have to do that thing.” He continued.

“What thing?” she muttered frowning.

Roman leant forward and whispered in her ear.

“No!” she shot out flushing bright red. She stormed out of the kitchen and moved over to the lounge.

“Ok?” Nic asked her looking puzzled.

“Fine.” Ella said.

“You look a little flushed.” Aden pointed out.

“I’m fine.” She groaned putting her hands to her cheeks feeling the heat herself.

Aden and Nic exchanged a look and grinned.

“Shut up.” Ella hissed at them.

“Ella.” Amy-Belle said slowly from her seat at the dinning table.

“What?” she asked standing and moving over to her.

“I wanted to say I’m sorry I shouldn’t…”

Ella held up her hand.

“It’s ok. You were in a tough situation and you were trying to find a way to deal with it.” She told the younger woman.

“It’s not ok. The things I said to you were out of line.”

“Forgotten already.” Ella murmured before turning and moving back to the sofa.

“What exactly did she say to you?” Aden asked softly.

“Can’t remember.” Ella said lying.

Aden nodded.

“Uh huh.” He murmured glancing at his daughter. “I think I’ll be having a talk with her.”

“Aden drop it ok.” Ella said quickly. “It doesn’t mean a hell of a lot compared to what’s happened today.”

Aden gave her a searching look and then glanced back at his daughter the other side of the room.

“I’m sure.” He said dryly.

“Ok.” Jacko murmured walking in the room with Charlie.

Pete and Roman walked in through the archway. Roman looked around the room before his eyes met with hers.

“Gardy had a twin brother called William. When his parents split up it seems that the two boys were separated.” Jacko began.

“Gardy stayed with his father, it seems that there was a history of spousal abuse and more than likely this was transferred to David.”

“Move on gentlemen.” Roman murmured keeping an eye on Ella.

“Anyway, William moved to Perth. He went to university there and got married. It seems that his wife was killed in a car crash.”

Jacob looked up his face pale. He glanced at Gabby sitting beside him and put his arm once more around her feeling how cold she was and then he noticed that he was the one who was shaking.

“We think this triggered the psychotic episode that had made him decide to be revenged on his brother.” Pete supplied.

“So how is he doing this?” Ella asked.

“We don’t know.” Jacko confessed.

He glanced at Charlie and then over at Ella.

“But it does seem that he is focused on you Ella.”

Pete glanced at Roman as the man moved over to the sofa and sat next to his wife.

“Why?” He asked the single worded question.

“Because I destroyed his brother.” Ella supplied softly. “I sent him to prison and then when he got out I killed him.”

“I shot him.” Roman murmured. “That is in the police report.”

Charlie nodded.

“Still, we need to get you and the children somewhere safe.” She said softly.

“Is that all of us?” Ella asked looking around the room. “Because then you have our friends and I doubt he’s going to stop trying to get at us just because we go away for a bit.”

Charlie looked at her and nodded.

“She has a point.” Charlie murmured looking at Pete and Jacko.

“Why can’t we find him?” Ella asked.

“I don’t know.” Jacko admitted. “William Gardener ceased to exist at age of 6. He became William Bennett.”

Ella glared at the other man and saw him flush.

“So you know his name.” She muttered folding her arms.

“But that is it Ella. We can track him so far but then he disappears.”

“What about money?” Jacob asked slowly.

Mike grinned at the other man.

“Yeah, what does he do for money?” he asked. “There has to be a way of tracking him using credit cards or bank accounts.”

“We’re working on it.” Charlie said quickly glaring at Pete and Jacko in turn.

“So what next?” Ella asked.

“Give you a police guard.” Charlie told her. “While we continue to track him down.”

“No offence but how are you planning to guard all of us?” Ella pointed out looking around the room. “Mike and Danni go to different campuses. The kids go to the same school at the moment but Angel, Sophie and Georgie will be going to high school.”

“I take it he doesn’t know about me?” Toby asked, the first words he’d spoken.

Charlie looked over at him and frowned.

“Our son.” Roman murmured. “Long story, we just tracked him down, Gabby’s twin.”

“Oh, er ok.” Charlie murmured flushing with embarrassment.

“I think that is a yes.” Jacko murmured.

“Then I’m perfect. Gabby and Jacob can come with me.” Toby suggested.

Ella looked down at her feet trying to hide her sudden smug expression.

“Well in that case we could take Lily and Liam.” Gabby murmured.

Ella glanced at Roman then unable to hide the grin she had on her face.

“Witch.” He murmured for her ears alone before. “Look.” He said. “We can split the family up and hide them but as Ella said he will come after our friends.”

Ella shook her head.

“Not if we give him what he wants.” She pointed out.

“No.” Roman said immediately. “Not ever again.”

Ella met his gaze.

“It’s the only way. We can’t run away so we have to set a trap for him.” she said softly before looking at Charlie. “And we have to keep him alive because he knows where my babies are.”

Roman shuddered as he pulled her into his arms. He looked out of the window and saw the smoking wreck of the car and flinched thinking about Gabby and his other children being inside the twisted hulk of metal.

“Mother.” Mike said slowly.

Ella looked over at him.

“We might have something he will want more than you.” He added in a calm voice.

“What?” she asked.

“His brothers child.”

“No.” Ella gasped out.

“Mike how could you even think that?” Danni gasped out glaring at him.

“It’s a plan.” Jacko agreed looking at Mike.

“No.” Ella said springing up from the sofa. “No.” she said again looking at Roman and then over at Mike. “Is that what being in the army does to you? That is your sister you are talking about. Your 11-year-old sister and you’d use her as bait? I don’t want to look at you right now. Get out.”

“Ella.” Roman said standing up and moving to her side once more. He reached out towards her and flinched when she deliberately moved away from him.

“I don’t understand.” Gabby said slowly.

“Meggy was born 8 months after Ella was attacked.” Nic said slowly to her sister. Her eyes met with Ella’s and she gave her stepmother a half smile forcing herself not to flinch from the raw pain in Ella’s face.

“Sorry to sound crass but I really need to catch up with family history here.” Toby muttered.

Ella shook her head.

“That answer is no.” she told them all.

“Ella.” Roman called her name stopping her as she moved to the door.

She turned and looked at him.

“Stay.” He murmured to her.

“I can’t.” she whispered.

“Stay.” He said again holding out his hand to her.

She looked into his eyes and shook her head.

He stayed still his hand outstretched, his eyes meeting hers.

She sighed and turned once more looking at the door and then back at him before walking to his side. He put his arms around her and kissed the top of her head.

“What were you thinking Mike?” he asked his son.

“Just make it known that he has family. He seems determined to take that away from you for taking his brother away from him. Probably a repeat of his mother taking him away from his family.” Mike turned to Jacko. “Did he lose someone other than his wife in the car smash?”

“His wife was pregnant.” Pete supplied.

“If Gabby and Jacob take Meggy with them.”

“No.” Ella said immediately her glance on Jacob.

“Well then I’ll take her. But anyway, we remove Meggy to somewhere safe and use the number we have for him to let him know she exists.”

“No you aren’t using her like that.” Ella said again. “You have no idea what she’s gone through knowing about her birth.”

Roman groaned remembering.

“Ok.” Mike said softly.

“We’ll keep it in mind.” Roman told him and felt Ella’s immediate withdrawal from him.

Jacob stood and moved into the kitchen. He took a bottle of water from the fridge and took a long drink. He was surprised that his hands were shaking.

“You weren’t to know.” Ella said from behind him.

“What that you went through hell or that I’m to blame for this mess.”

“This mess as you call it would have happened anyway,” she said to him. “You are only responsible for what you did to Sophie.”

“But you don’t trust me.” He murmured.

“I can’t. Not until Sophie is ready to trust you. She adores Gabby and will forgive you anything but she doesn’t quite trust you yet and the only way to prove yourself is to take care of Gabby.” She told him.

Jacob nodded.

“I love her you know. And today I could have lost her.”

“Puts everything into perspective doesn’t it.” she said softly.

“I have to help sort this out.” he stated.

“I’m sure you’ll get your chance.” Ella nodded at him before moving back out of the kitchen and into the lounge.

“We should get some food sorted and make sure the kids are ok.” Ella told Roman.

He nodded.

“Charlie have all the cars been checked?” he asked.

She nodded.

“They are safe to drive.”

“Do people want to go home?” Roman looked around them.

“I want to stay.” Nic said quietly looking at Geoff.

The other man nodded.

“I think it will be good to stay for a bit.” He murmured to her his arm still around her.

“We should go. Brett is at home.” Belle said.

“Can I stay?” Amy-Belle asked.

“I think it will be best if you come home with us AB.” Aden said to his daughter. “Nip upstairs and collect Tyler.”

Amy-Belle nodded and moved out of the room.

“She wanted to stay?” Belle asked him.

Aden smiled at her his glance going over to Toby who was in conversation with Mike across the room.

“Ready?” he asked her.

Belle nodded and stood up moving to the door. Her eyes went to the wreck of Ella’s car and she shuddered.

“I’ve got a tow truck on the way to take it for forensic examination.” Charlie announced from behind Belle.

“That could have been Tyler.” She whispered to Aden.

“I know.” He murmured to his wife.

“Ok.” Amy-Belle murmured her brother holding her hand.

“Come on then.” Aden said moving to Tyler. He picked his son up in his arms and carried him out to his car. Belle followed leading her daughter out.

“I’m going to take Gabby for a lay down.” Jacob murmured helping her up from the sofa. He put his arm around her as he led her through the back.

“I need to get Meggy to the hairdresser.” Ella said softly.

“Use my car.” Mike murmured.

Ella nodded walking over to the stairs. She walked up them and into the children’s room.

“Mama.” Lily called out running over to her.

“Hey Lily squeals.” Ella bent down and hugged her daughter. “I’ve come to get Meggy.”

“Meggy squeals.”

“Only if you tickle me.” Meggy said getting up form the sofa.

“Going to take you to get your hair sorted out Megs.” Ella said softly.

“Ok.” she murmured.

“Me come?” Lily asked.

“Not this time.” Ella told her.

Lily pouted as she was lowered back to the floor.

“Mum?” Sophie began.

“I don’t have any answers.” Ella said softly. “Keep the babies here.”

Sophie nodded and reached over taking Lily’s hand in her own as Ella took Meggy out of the room. She led her down the stairs and out to Mike’s car.

“Mummy.” Meggy cried seeing the wreck of the car.

“I know.” Ella whispered.

“Is Gabby ok? Is the baby alright.”

“Both are fine.” Ella said to her daughter seating her in the car.

“Is it a badman again? The one who took the babies?” Meggy asked her.

“Megs please.” Ella said easing the car out of the drive.

“Sorry Mummy.” Meggy lapsed into silence for the rest of the trip.

“Hello.” Ella said taking her into the hairdressers. “I was wondering if you could take a look at my daughter.”

“Oh certainly. Let’s go over here.”

Meggy moved over to the seat the hairdresser indicated and sat down.

“I wanted to be blonde like my sister.” Meggy muttered.

“Well I don’t think this blonde has done you any good.” The hairdresser murmured to her.

“How about cutting it?” Ella asked. “Maybe layers? Once you sort the colour out.”

“I think if we do that it will have more body in it.”

“Will it go curly?” Meggy asked quickly.

“Maybe not curly but certainly bouncy.” The hairdresser told her.

“Ok Megs?” Ella asked softly.

Meggy nodded.

“Ok then.”

Ella sat in the reception area and picked up a magazine as the hairdresser began work. She flicked though the pages not really reading the black print. Lost in thought.

“What do you think Mummy?” Meggy called out.

Ella looked up to see her daughter with dark blonde hair curling softly around her heart shaped face.

“I think Sophie is going to be jealous.” Ella said standing up and moving over to her. “You look very pretty.”

Meggy blushed.

“Right then I’ve explained to Meggy how to keep the curls in her hair and I’ve got a few products in here for her. She’ll need to come back in six to eight weeks for a trim.”

Ella nodded accepting the gift bag the hairdresser handed over. She took out her card and paid before leading her daughter out of the shop and back to the car. She paused before clicking the fob to unlock it almost expecting it to blow. It still took her a minute to work up the nerve to get inside the car.

“Mummy?” Meggy asked.

“I was thinking about getting some shopping but we have loads of food in the house. Are you hungry?” Ella prevaricated.

“Yes.” Meggy grinned before looking into the mirror at her hair.

“Like your haircut?” Ella asked her.

Meggy nodded and then grinned as her hair bounced around her face.

Ella pulled up the car out the front of the house. She noticed that her car had been removed and sighed before getting out and leading Meggy inside.

“Wow.” Nic called out.

“Bit of a difference.” Ella murmured.

“Can I go show Sophie?” Meggy asked excitedly.

Ella nodded watching as her daughter ran up the stairs before she wondered into the kitchen and reached for the coffee-pot. She poured out a drink for herself and sipped from the cup slowly blowing on the hot liquid.

“El.” Roman murmured from behind her.

She turned and looked at him.

“I’m going to go have a lay down.” she murmured softly.

“Fine just leave me to sort everything.” He snapped out.

Ella glared at him before walking out of the room and up the stairs. She made her way into the bedroom and sat on the bed kicking off her shoes before laying back on the covers.

Roman swore under his breath before striding over to the fridge and opening it up. He glanced at the ingredients before slamming it shut and striding up the stairs. He walked into the bedroom expecting to see the suitcases out and Ella packing again instead he saw her laying on the bed looking suddenly exhausted.

“El.” He said again.

“I feel exhausted.” She whispered.

He sat beside her before finding she had reached out and caught hold of his hand.

“El.” He murmured easing down beside her.

She moved into his arms holding on to him.

“Need to sort the children out and feed everyone.” She said.

“Maybe you need to close your eyes for ten minutes.,” he told her.

“No I can’t leave Sophie looking after the little ones all day.” She sighed her eyes closing even as she spoke.

Roman grinned as she fell asleep before easing off the bed and out of the room. He went down the stairs and once more into the kitchen.

Chapter 53

Ella woke slowly and eased off the bed. She freshened up in the en suite before moving down the stairs and into the lounge.

“Mama.” Lily called out.

“Hey little girl. What are you eating?” she asked her daughter going over to where she was sitting in her highchair next to William.

“Nana.” She lisped lifting her hand up to Ella.

“Really?” Ella asked.

“Mummy.” Meggy murmured looking sad.

Ella looked at her daughter sitting at the table next to the babies.

“What is it?”

“Toby and Mike have taken everyone swimming and I can’t go.” She muttered.

“Because of your hair?” Ella smiled at her. “It’s not so easy being a beauty queen is it?”

Meggy pouted.

“Sophie gloated.”

“Well that wasn’t nice of her. Why don’t you go get changed into your swimsuit and come back down here." Ella said quietly.

Meggy sighed before standing up and moving away from the table.

“Hey you.” Roman murmured from the back walking in through the French doors.

“Hey yourself. “ Ella said.

Roman strode over to her side and leaned down kissing her.

“Wow.” Ella said touching her fingers to her lips. “How long was I asleep?”

“Just an hour. Can I get you some food?” he murmured.

Ella gave a slow nod watching as he smiled at her and moved into the kitchen. Standing herself she moved into the laundry room and took out a couple of towels and a spare set of her sunglasses. She added a sun hat to the pile of items and moved out the back. Setting them to one side she took out one of the spare sun loungers from out of the shed and set it up on the lawn. She added a table by the side of it and then set up a sun umbrella. She caught Roman watching her from the kitchen and she smiled at him, her smile turning into a grin when he smiled back.

“Mummy I’ve got changed.” Meggy cried out.

“Come on then.” Ella called.

She laid out the towels on the sunbed and gestured for Meggy to sit down on it smiling at her daughter.

“Ok sunglasses and of course a glamorous hat.” Ella said placing the hat on top of Meggy head and handing her daughter the glasses.

“Mummy.” Meggy said with a giggle.

“Beauty queens don’t get all messy in the swimming pool they sit and work on their tan.” She told her daughter. “Now let me get you a drink.”

Meggy chuckled and put on the oversize glasses grinning at her mother as she lay back on the sunbed.

Ella nodded approval and moved into the kitchen opening the fridge. She took out fruit juice and pours some over ice before adding lemonade. Roman passed her a couple of straws and she grinned putting them into the glass.

“I think there is a magazine in the recycling.” He pointed out.

Ella nodded and moved in there finding a thick fashion magazine from the stack of papers for recycling.

“Thanks.” She called out collecting the glass and walking through to Meggy. “Here you go.” Ella told her.

“Wow Mummy.”

“Now then I bet it won’t be long before Sophie wants to come and join you.” Ella said to her daughter.

“Well she can’t because she’s not a beauty queen.” Meggy said giving Ella a sneer as she spoke. “Did I say it right?”

“Like a perfect spoilt beauty queen.” Ella said with a laugh knowing that Meggy was joking.

“Thank you Mummy.” Meggy murmured.

Ella smiled at her before she moved back into the house. She laughed when Roman caught hold of her and pulled her into his arms.

“Hey!” she gasped before he cut off further speech by kissing her passionately.

“Roman Harris.” She muttered easing back and looking at him as soon as the kiss ended.

“I want to make love to my woman.” He murmured before kissing the spot by her ear.

Ella blushed and pulled away from him.

“Stop it.” she moaned although the last thing she wanted was for him to stop feeling arousal spread slowly through her body.

“Ok.” he whispered against her neck kissing her one last time before easing up and looking into her eyes.

“Roman.” She said puzzled.

“I know.” He told her.

“Well I’m still puzzled here. You have a go at me for going to sleep and leaving you to sort everything and then you are…”

Roman looked at her and smiled.

“I shouldn’t have got mad at you and I’m sorry. It’s been a really stressful day for all of us. But it did make me realise after a while thinking about things that I’ve missed you.”

“Which had nothing to do with me threatening to leave you?” she scoffed.

He grinned at her.

“Maybe.” He conceded.

“And you aren’t using sex to keep me with you?” she asked looking at him and raising an eyebrow.

“Nope. I just want to use sex to give you….” He stopped when she placed her hand over his mouth.

“Enough.” She cried out embarrassed.

“How can you explain the facts of life to our kids and yet blush each time we talk about sex?” he asked her.

Ella groaned and rolled her eyes.

“Because I swear you know I get flustered and you deliberately try and do it more.” She muttered unable to meet his gaze.

“Sophie took me to one side this afternoon and confessed that she doesn’t in fact have any condoms in her drawer just in case I was panicking.” Roman told her.

Ella grinned at him.

“You weren’t worried were you?”

“Only by the fact that she is 12 and well, what went on with Jacob.” He said quietly. “She’s get her mothers sensible head.”

Ella blushed once more before hearing Roman chuckle.

She eased out of his embrace and back over to her babies.

“Have you finished?” she murmured to them.

Liam grinned at her,

“Play?” he asked.

Ella nodded and fetched the baby wipes to clean hands and faces before lifting the two of them out of their high chairs.

She opened up the toy box and grinned when they collected their favourite toys and moved them into the middle of the living room. Ella smiled at them before moving over to the stereo and put on some music. She turned around to see Roman had placed a plate of food on the table fore her and she grinned walking over to him. She hoped he hadn’t noticed the extra wriggle in her walk or the fact that she felt like she seemed to be permanently smiling at him.

He grinned holding out the chair for her and as she eased into it he leaned down and kissed her once more.

“This looks good.” She told him looking up at him.

He nodded acceptance before walking into the kitchen and bringing back a couple bottle of beer. He opened both and handed her one before sitting next to her.

“We should see about a replacement car.” He said to her.

Ella nodded.

“I haven’t even thought about that. I don’t think explosive devices are covered by my insurance."

Roman groaned.

“I’m broke.” He admitted.

“I told you to let me pay for more of the wedding.” She murmured. “We’ll have to deal with Christmas soon.”

Roman nodded.

“Thank god you didn’t marry me for my money.” He muttered.

“Now it makes sense why you wanted me to start my photography again.” She told him a teasing look in her eyes.

“Absolutely.” He agreed with her.

He noticed that she had finished the salad on the plate along with the pasta in sauce.

“Ice cream or some cheesecake?” he asked her.

Ella shook her head and rolled her eyes.

“Was that a dumb question?” he murmured.

“Yeah.” She grinned sipping the beer.

He stood and moved into the kitchen with her empty plate returning a moment later with some cheesecake.

“Thank you.” She told him smiling.

He leaned over and kissed her.

“It’s hard to think of normal things when there is…” Ella began.

Roman nodded.

“I know. But we have to. The kids don’t need to be completely freaked out and we need them to be able to go about not being scared stupid.”

“Or worried. I swear Sammy already has worry lines.” She groaned.

“He’s fine.” Roman murmured. “Mike has been having a few man to boy chats.”

“Doing his big brother bit?” Ella smiled thinking of her son.

“He was only trying..”

“The Meggy stuff? I know but well, you and he weren’t there when I had to explain why I thought about giving her up for adoption. I don’t want her to be ….”

“Insecure?” Roman interrupted.

Ella nodded.

“For example this blonde hair business. I don’t know why she wanted to change her hair. Aside from mentioning getting it cut just before the wedding she hasn’t spoken about it. Am I missing something?”

Roman gave a small groan.

“Could it be because Toby looks so like me and Gabby like you?” he murmured.

Ella shrugged.

“I really don’t know. I suppose I should have spoken to her when I took her to get it done today but well I wasn’t thinking straight.”

Roman sighed and looked out to where Meggy was laying on the sun lounger in the garden. Sophie had left the pool and was sitting on the grass beside her, the two sisters talking.

“Is Gabby ok?” Ella asked putting her spoon in her empty dish.

“She and baby are fine. Jacob took her into the hospital for a scan a while ago.”

“She needed a scan?” Ella gasped.

“No Aden suggested it. Speaking of Aden.” Roman put his hand in his pocket and pulled out a ring placing it on the table in front of her.

“What’s this?” she asked picking up her wedding ring.

“Remember throwing it at me?” he asked.

“Many times.” She told him with a grin.

“Well one of those times Amy-Belle found it. She’s been using it when she went to the clinic to get checked out. It seems she signed in as Mrs Harris.” Roman explained softly.

“Oh.” Ella murmured.

“What did she say to you El?” he asked.

“Using El again?” she asked back.

He nodded.

“Ok, she said that if I didn’t adopt her baby she would go away and have the baby in secret.” Ella admitted her voice still full of hurt.

“Oh god El.” Roman groaned and reached out lifting her up and on to his lap putting his arms tight around her.

She lifted up the ring and placed it in his hand before holding out her left hand.

“Oh so you want it back now?” he asked.

“I thought you were keeping it somewhere.” She admitted. “I threw it in the grass.”

He nodded.

“So much was going on that I didn’t even give it a though until earlier today when you mentioned it.”

Ella sighed.

He kissed the ring before sliding it on to her finger.

“Thank you.” She whispered.

“I think I know now what you’ve been going through. You should have told me about Amy-Belle.”

Ella nodded.

“I know. In my defence she not only swore me to secrecy but we’d just lost the babies so we weren’t in a good place.”

“She did it then? God!” Roman groaned shaking his head in disbelief.

Ella groaned.

“I’m sorry I shouldn’t have said anything.” She murmured guiltily.

“No Ella. No wonder she was desperate to apologise to you.” He shook his head once more.

“She thought that she could help me with my grief in a misguided way.”

“Replacing a child with another one?” he asked her wryly. ”How could she think that was a good plan?”

Ella gave him a look before resting her head on his shoulder leaning into him.

“You were so brave today.” He told her.

“What the bit where I packed and tried to leave or the bit where I wanted to be anywhere except talking about what happened?” she asked talking scathingly about herself.

“No the bit where you packed and told me that if you went away he’d leave us alone and then the bit where you were desperate to leave but you stayed and let me hold your hand even though we had just had a fight.” He told her.

“You know what?” she asked lifting her head and looking at him. “You very well may get lucky tonight.”

Roman grinned and kissed her.

Chapter 54

Sophie leaned down and kissed Ella goodnight before making her way up the stairs with the other children.

“Guess you aren’t in her bad books anymore.” Roman murmured reaching out to stroke Ella’s back.

“Just for the moment.” Ella replied leaning into the arm he had around her.

“Is it safe to come in?” Jacko called out.

“The kids have just gone up to bed if that is what you are talking about.” Ella muttered.

Roman grinned at his wife.

“Of course that is what he referred to.” Pete answered for his mate.

“Want a drink?” Roman asked her.

Ella nodded smiling as Roman pressed a quick kiss to her lips as he stood up and moved into the kitchen. He returned a moment later handing beers to Pete and Jacko before sitting back next to Ella with a glass of wine for her.

She frowned at him before taking a cautious sip.

“Ok?” he asked.

“It’s not sweet.” She grumbled.

“No.” he agreed. “Take another sip.” He instructed.

Ella rolled her eyes at him and took another taste of the chilled white wine. She gave him a pained expression before handing him the glass.

“I’ll take that as a no.” he murmured smiling at her.

“It tastes like vinegar.” She told him.

“Really?” Jacko asked.

Roman handed the glass to Jacko letting him taste it.

“Seems fine to me.” He told Roman.

“It’s your palette. “ Roman said. “She only likes sweet wine or fizzy cava.”

“Fizzy pink cava.” Ella corrected him.

He smiled and stood walking once more into the kitchen he returned back with a glass of vodka and coke.

“Better?” he asked her.

“I could have settled for a beer.”

“But you prefer that?” he asked and saw her nod.

“So why do you get her to try wine?” Pete asked.

“Because he likes to see that expression on my face when I really hate a drink.”

“It’s not that.” Roman denied, although she did look cute when she screwed up her nose and pouted.

Ella smiled at him and stroked his thigh before sighing as he put his arm back around her.

“I do drink some wine.” Ella pointed out.

“I know.” He acknowledged.

“Anyway they’ve come to talk to us.” Ella nodded at Pete and Jacko.

“I know that too. I’m just concerned about you.” He murmured looking into her eyes.

“We both know I’m not doing so good.” Ella began. “But I need my babies back and I need to put this behind us.”

Roman nodded feeling her put her hand within his. He rubbed at the platinum wedding band on her finger and sighed.

“Ok.” he said.

Ella nodded.

“Go ahead.”

“We’ve tracked William Bennett up until six months ago.” Pete began. “He withdraw all his money and sold his house.”

“James is trying to find out what he did next. It seems that the physician attending the night his wife died…”

“The same doctor.” Ella guessed. “What was his name?”

“His real name was Andrew Phillips.” Roman told her.

Ella sighed and felt Roman give her hand a reassuring squeeze.

“How was he connected… I mean did he..” Ella stopped and looked at Roman.

“The case was passed to the state medical board. Andrew Phillips was legally drunk the night of the accident. He operated on William’s wife performing an emergency caesarean.”

Ella paled and leaned closer to Roman as Pete spoke.

“They both died.” He finished his eyes on her.

Ella gave a small moan raising her free hand to her lips feeling herself shaking.

“So that’s the connection.” She whispered. “Poor William.”

Jacko looked over at her and covered up the fact he was about to say something by taking a swig of his beer.

“El.” Roman said quietly.

“I know but well you’d probably do something violent if it happened to you.” She pointed out.

“Violent maybe but not psycho try and kill people.” He replied and caught her sudden grin. “Ok maybe Miles would have to stop me and Geoff talk to me for a while to distract me while Aden gets a sedative.” He amended.

“See.” She grinned and gave his hand a squeeze.

“Anyway. It does explain why he shot the doctor as opposed to paying him off.” Pete added.

“And why he took the babies. He wanted a child to replace his.” Ella said slowly controlling the emotion in her voice so that they would continue talking and not be afraid of what to broach.

“He’ll need someone to look after the children.” Roman pointed. “Twins are a lot of work.”

“They would have been small too. Premie babies would have needed specialised equipment.” Ella added thinking of seeing Sophie in the incubator all those years ago.

“So we track down sellers of medical equipment.” Pete asked.

Ella nodded.

“I think if you speak to Aden tomorrow he’ll be able to tell you what to look for.” Roman suggested knowing that his son would like to help.

“Agencies.” Ella murmured. “He might had to have a nursery nurse or a nanny. Possibly someone who is specialised in new born.”

Roman nodded.

“I think that gives us some new avenues to check out. I’ll email James before I go to bed and we’ll start getting options together.” Pete murmured.

“Girlie.” Jacko began after they had lapsed into silence.

“Yes?” she asked cautiously.

“I want to give you some equipment to carry with you.”

Ella nodded.

“Anything except a gun.”

Roman sighed.

“You know how to shoot one.” He pointed out.

“And in all likelihood it will be taken off me.” She shot back.

“I understand the kids have phones.” Pete said interrupting the argument.

“Yes.” Roman told him still looking at Ella. The thought of the gun being taken away from her had him remembering incidents from their past and he didn’t like the mental pictures he was putting in to his own head.

“We can set them up so we can trace them using GPS.”

“Which will only work if they keep their phones with them. I know Sophie uses hers but Sammy doesn’t even remember to charge it half the time. What about putting something in a bracelet they can wear?” Ella pointed out.

“We can do both.” Pete told her.

Roman nodded.

“The same for the other kids.”

“We should include Marcus.” Ella said softly. “In case he’s heard the gossip about him.”

Roman gave her a look trying not to hug Ella to him and smother her with a few thousand kisses for thinking of the little boy.

“And Millie.” He said instead of telling her how proud he was of her right then, mentioning Leona’s little girl.

“Speaking of Millie.” Ella murmured. “Lee asked if you guys can help out tracing someone for her.”

Roman gave Ella a puzzled look.

“Millie’s biological father. She wants Miles to adopt Millie but she needs the consent of her biological dad.” She explained.

“I think we can look into it.” Pete nodded.

“Ella.” Roman gave a groan ignoring the grin that Jacko sent his way.

“Great.” She said ignoring Roman. “But don’t tell Miles she wants it to be a wedding present.”

“See this is why I don’t visit more often. She’d have me married off before I realised I said I do.” Jacko said with a groan.

“Yeah about that, is James seeing anyone?” Ella asked.

“Ok that’s enough.” Roman said with a mock growl. “Stop Ella. Isn’t enough that you’ve set Miles up. Are you planning to marry off all my drinking buddies?”

Ella nodded.

“Absolutely.” She told him. “That way you’ll stay home with me all the time and we’ll start being one of those couples that wear matching clothes and talk about what amazing kids we have so much so that we automatically bore people before they even say hello.”

Roman gave her a look about to say something when he heard Jacko laughing at him.

“Sgt?” he asked raising an eyebrow and looking at the other man.

“Nothing.” He gasped out trying to stop laughing.

“Are you sure about that?” Roman asked him.

“Positive. Ella you are amazing you know that don’t you?” Jacko grinned at her.

She smiled over at the other man.

“I’m nothing special Jacko.” She denied. “Fact is this guy has kept me going the past couple of months.”

She looked over at Roman and smiled at him.

“I don’t know Ella.” He said sounding suddenly serious. “You seem to have been through so much because of me. Martha, Leona.” He paused. “Gardy Elliot.” he listed.

She nodded.

“Gardy would have happened anyway.” She said slowly.

“We kept him away from her as much as possible.” Jacko said, before catching Ella’s horrified look.

“What do you mean?” Roman asked.

He turned and looked at Ella.

“You know.” She whispered.

“No I don’t think I do.” He said his tone suddenly harsh.

“Gardy tried it on.” Jacko said trying to deflect Roman.

“And?” Roman shot out his eyes still on Ella.

“My brother hit him.” she said unable to stop the glance she gave Jacko.

“And?” Roman repeated.

“Nothing.” She said with another glance at Jacko.

Roman met her eyes before he looked over at the two men sitting on the other sofa.

“Pete?” he asked.

“Gardy kept going after her. All the time. Lewd comments. He kept telling her that he would let it be known he’d had her.” Pete said quietly.

“And you all kept this from me?” Roman sneered.

“Yes.” Ella told him quietly suddenly feeling unclean, as though the conversation left her with the stain of the other man’s touch all over again.

“Why?” Roman asked slowly.

“Because she was protecting you.” Jacko supplied.

“Maybe you should have made a complaint and brought it out in the open.” Roman said without thinking.

Ella stood up from the sofa and walked over to stand near the fireplace. She looked at the photograph of their younger selves and bit her lip to stop herself crying.

“Of course she couldn’t do that.” Jacko muttered. “You would have killed him.”

Pete nodded at the statement.

Roman stood and moved over to Ella’s side. She looked up at him and he gave her a brief smile before taking hold of her hand once more.

“Lets go to bed and leave these men drinking my beer.” He said to her gently.

“Roman.”

“It’s ok.” he told her kissing the fingers of her hand.

She nodded glancing over at Jacko and then Pete before letting Roman lead her out of the room. He put his arm around her and guided her into their bedroom shutting the door quietly.

Ella walked around the bed to the normal side she slept on as he walked into the en suite. She heard water running and frowned before following him into the bathroom. She saw him filling the bath and adding a generous amount of her bubble bath.

“Roman?” she asked.

“Get undressed.” He told her.

She frowned before moving to his side.

“What is this?” she asked.

“You know.” He whispered.

She nodded turning around and shyly taking off her clothes placing them into the clothes hamper before stepping over to the bath. She tested the water before climbing into it.

“Will you join me?” she asked him biting her lip once more.

“I don’t think so.” Roman told her.

He walked through to the bedroom and left her there all too aware that she might be crying on the other side of the wall. Moving over to the bed he sat his side and started undressing. He climbed into the bed leaving both his and Ella’s lights on. He picked up his book and tried to focus on the words not surprised when they danced across the page.

Ella appeared after half an hour, her eyes rimmed from crying. She looked over at him sitting up in bed.

“Thought you’d be asleep.” She said softly.

“No.” he told her. “I was waiting for you.”

“Oh.” She murmured.

“Hope you aren’t planning on putting on a nightdress.” He said his eyes meeting hers.

“Oh.” She said again.

She walked slowly towards the bed and went over to her side lowering the towel slowly before easing under the covers. Reaching out she switched off her light.

“Feeling shy?” he asked.

She nodded.

Roman put his book to one side and moved down in the bed until he was lying next to her. He reached out and stroked her hair back from her face before kissing her.

“You are beautiful.” He told her. “So beautiful.”

Ella moved restlessly next to him.

“Just think about me.” He told her. “About how wonderful this is between us.” He added in a seductive whisper.

He kissed her again and again stroked her hair spreading in on to the pillow behind her before easing back and looking into her eyes.

“I can’t.” she whispered before pressing her lips together.

“What is stopping you?” he asked keeping his voice low.

“You think I should have…”

He kissed her then cutting off her words.

“I think you are beautiful and brave and strong and I want to make love to you tonight. I want to make it special.” He told her.

She shook her head.

“Just relax.” He whispered.

He kissed her again so gently that it felt like his lips were velvet against hers. He kissed her again and again. Each of his kisses merging into the next one. He traced the outline of her lips with his tongue before kissing her once more. He heard her sigh as he kissed her.

Moving in their big bed he leaned down and kissed the side of her neck trailing kisses down and along her shoulder. He ran his hands down her body and back up teasing her skin with the lightest touch. Lowering his lips he kissed a trail down to her breast before closing his lips over the aroused peak and suckling.

He felt her hands reaching for him then and he could have roared his triumph from the rooftop. It wasn’t just turning her on it was making her forget the horror of her attack.

Moving to the other breast he kissed and suckled that nipple feeling her hands on his shoulders. Kissing back up her body he once more claimed her lips feeling her kiss him back.

He eased back the covers now and feasted his gaze on her naked body before letting his fingers loose to trace intricate patterns on her skin. He followed with gentle kisses feeling her move under him. He rolled away for a moment reaching for protection for them before returning to her side. Kissing her once more he stroked down her body again.

“Roman stop.” She cried out.

He paused looking at her.

“I can’t do this.” She told him a tear easing a silver trail down her face.

“Why?” He asked.

“Because it feels wrong. This feels bad.” She admitted biting her lip once more.

He gave a groan and sat up rubbing a hand over his face before walking into the en suite.

Ella moved out of the bed and picked up the towel from where she’d dropped it earlier and folded it placing it on the blanket box at the end of the bed before reaching into a drawer and pulling out a nightdress. She tugged it on and got under the covers once more.

Roman eased out of the bathroom switching off the light behind him. She could see immediately he’d had a shower. He moved to the chest of drawers and pulled out pyjamas settling on just the shorts before getting into bed next to her. Moving down in the bed he turned and snuggled up to her putting his arm around her waist.

“Roman.” She murmured.

“Don’t tell me I’m not allowed to hold you now?” he bit out the question.

Ella bit the inside of her lip trying not to cry.

“No.” she said eventually. “Just going to suggest you switch out the light.” She told him, lying.

Roman sighed, his breath ruffling her hair before moving in the bed and clicking out the light. He put his arm back around her and closed his eyes.

Ella waited an hour before she climbed out of the bed and padded down the stairs. She saw that the light was on in the lounge and she walked slowly into the room.

“Sorry girlie.” Jacko murmured when he saw her.

“It’s ok.” she whispered.

“If it were ok you’d be with your husband.” He pointed out.

“Jacko please.” She muttered casting a frantic eye to the stairs. She turned and moved into the kitchen pouring out a glass of milk and taking a long drink.

Jacko moved into the kitchen and stood next to her.

“So even after all this time why did you never tell him?” Jacko asked.

Ella started and looked up at the other man.

“Because I felt guilty.” She whispered. “I should have stopped him.”

“You couldn’t stop him though. He was intent on doing that. You have to know it’s not your fault.” He said quietly.

Ella shook her head unable to express the thoughts she had inside her head. Finally tears began to fall down her face and Jacko pulled her into his arms recognising that he was playing with fire being that close to her.

Roman had felt her get out of the bed hearing the tread of her bare feet on the landing and the loose board on one of the steps. Sighing he threw back the covers and got out of bed himself following her down. He caught murmured voices and then saw Ella wrapped in Jacko’s arms.

He waited a moment in the shadows knowing the neither of them had noticed him before turning and walking back up the stairs avoiding the creaky floorboard and getting back into the cold bed hoping that wasn’t a metaphor of some sort.

Ella pulled away form Jacko and rubbed childishly at her eyes.

“We have to stop this.” She muttered quickly. “Jacko you need to…”

“It’s ok girlie.” He told her cutting off the sentence, although he knew what she was going to say.

“No it’s not.” She said.

Turning she put the milk back into the fridge before collecting her glass and walking back out of the kitchen. She wanted to put a film on and watch it until she fell asleep in front of the tv but moved instead back up the stairs and into the bedroom. She walked around the bed and placed the glass down before climbing back in the bed.

“What’s the matter is Finding Nemo broken?” he asked her.

She gave a gasp and turned looking at him.

“I wanted a drink.” She whispered.

“Of course you did.” He told her turning over and thumping the pillow a couple of times before closing his eyes once more. He tried to tell himself that he hadn’t imagined it was Jacko’s face he was thumping instead of his innocent pillow.

“I’m sorry I didn’t want to make love.” She told him after a minute.

“Go to sleep.” He shot back.

“I’ve said sorry.” She cried.

Roman spun around and grabbed hold of her arms pinning her back on the bed.

“Sorry would be ok if I hadn’t just seen you in Jacko’s arms. Sorry would have been fine if I didn’t see you kiss him. Sorry would be ok if my best friend wasn’t in love with you and you seem to turning to him a lot more than to me.” He snapped out.

He looked at her seeing the fear in her eyes and released her before getting out of the bed.

“I’m going to go sleep downstairs.” He announced.

“Roman.” She cried out snapping on the light.

“No.” he muttered. “If we have this conversation I don’t think we can deal with it.”

“So you want to what? Go off and sulk because your pride has been hurt?”

“No right now I want to slap you for betraying me.” He shot back.

“Then slap me.” She shouted. “Go on do it. Get it out of your system.”

He stood and turned looking at her sitting in the bed, a strap of her nightdress had slipped down her shoulder and her hair was a dark halo around her face.

“You tell me why I shouldn’t slap you?” he snarled at her.

“Because I’ve never even thought about another man. “ she found herself shouting once more.

“Yes you have.” He shouted at her. “when you kissed him the other week. When you let him know something about you that I didn’t.” he lowered his voice. “And when you let the past stop you from…”

“Acting like your personal slut.” Ella snapped.

She stood from the bed and stormed over to the wardrobe pulling open the door and seeing her clothes hanging back up. She tugged the first hangers down and dropped them on the floor.

“Mama.” Lily called out.

Ella stopped and stood still for a minute.

“Mama.” Lily cried again.

She exchanged a look with Roman before heading into the nursery.

“Hey Lily squeals.” She said quietly.

“Mama bad dream.” Lily cried holding up her arms.

Ella nodded and moved to her side picking up her daughter and moving to the rocking chair. She sat down and pulled a blanket over her.

“What did you dream Lily?” she whispered to her daughter.

“Monster.” She muttered.

“Really? There are no monsters.” Ella said rocking her. “Daddy makes them all go away.”

Lily nodded as she listened to the familiar story.

“Big monster.” She murmured her eyes closing.

“All gone now.” Ella said. “Just happy dreams now.”

“Happy Lily dreams.”

“That’s right happy Lily dreams.” Ella told her daughter rubbing her back.

Roman stood in the doorway watching her for a moment before handing Ella a beaker with a drink in for Lily. His fingers touched with Ella’s and their eyes met for a fraction of a second before she held the beaker so Lily could take a drink.

“Ok Lily squeals.” Ella asked after a few moments.

Lily nodded sleepily.

“I’ll take her.” Roman said lifting his daughter into his arms. He held her close before extending his hand towards Ella.

She placed her hand in his and let him help her up from the rocking chair before watching as he kissed Lily and gently placed her in bed. She walked with him back into the bedroom and over to the wardrobe picking up her clothes and hanging them back inside.

He waited watching her carefully before moving over to the bed and sitting down.

“Ella.”

“I can’t go anywhere can I?” she murmured. “Not now.”

“El.” He said slowly.

She shrugged.

“You might as well spend the remainder of the night in here.” She told him walking around the other side of the bed.

She climbed in under the covers and waited a few moments before reaching for the light switching it out.

Roman waited taking a deep breath rubbing a hand over his face. He got into bed and moved the covers pulling them up around himself. He slowly fell into a troubled sleep.

Ella lay awake a long time before she drifted of to sleep. She woke up after only an hour groaning as she felt the cold. She lay still trying not to wake him up as she pulled the covers over her.

Roman rolled over towards her and pulled the covers with him.

“Here.” He said.

He placed them around her before snuggling up to her.

“My feet are cold.” She warned him.

“I already know.” He murmured laughing.

“Well…” she muttered.

“Pity they didn’t include that in the marriage vows.”

“What? With my cold feet I thee endow?” she whispered.

“More like in sickness and in health, with cold feet or warm I promise to snuggle curl up and sleep.” He murmured back.

“Roman.” She said quietly.

“I don’t want to fight with you Ella.”

“I get that you are hurt.” She told him.

“I am.” He agreed with her. “But I’m hurt because you kept that from me.”

“I had too. If you’d known then you would have gone for him and ended up on charges.” She murmured. “I was in an impossible situation.”

“Maybe back then but what about later El?” he asked. “You keep going on at me about stuff I keep from you but there is still so much I don’t seem to know about you.”

“Because it was over in the past. I put it behind me.” She groaned and turned in his arms. “When I thought of that time I thought of us and my brother so it made me sad enough without remembering the times he used to corner me.”

Roman groaned before leaning down and kissing her.

She pushed at him and looked into his eyes.

“And you didn’t want to know about then.“ She said quietly stilling him with her words.

He collapsed back on to the bed with a groan.

Ella sighed and moved closer to him resting her head on his shoulder.

“Shush.” She murmured.

He leaned towards her and kissed her before wrapping his arms around her. Closing his eyes tiredly he tried not to think about her and Jacko.

Chapter 55

Roman woke up alone and sighed remembering the disturbed night and the arguments. He dragged on his bathrobe and moved down the stairs hearing the chatter from the children. Moving into the kitchen he poured out a cup of coffee and looked at the table.

“We’ve been talking about school.” Ella told him softly. “The children have decided that they don’t want to go.”

“Today only they go back on Monday.”

“Agreed.” Ella murmured meeting his gaze. “They would still like the sleepover this weekend.” She added.

“I’m not sure that is a good idea. We should have a talk.”

“Daddy.” Sammy cried.

“And by talk I meant your mother and me, not you lot.” He said grinning as his son pouted at him.

“I’ve asked Jacko to leave.” Ella said softly her tone even despite her heart racing in her chest. “It’s time to get these back into a routine and give them their bedrooms back.”

Roman pressed his lips together as he nodded.

“Well if they aren’t going to school I’m going back to bed.” He murmured after a minute.

Ella giggled.

“Nice try.” She told him. “I’ve pointed out that we have to go car shopping and since they are off school and we’re shopping they are coming with us so we can pick up their new school uniforms. Sophie and Georgie need uniforms for when they start high school.”

Roman gave a groan.

“School uniform shopping?” he muttered.

Ella nodded.

“And folders and pencils and…”

“No.” Roman said. “They can go to school.”

Sammy giggled and looked at his dad.

“Sorry we took a vote.” He told him. “If it makes you feel better I lost.”

Roman looked at his son before sighing. He walked over to the table and sat down.

“Ok.” he began. “What activity did you suggest?” he asked Sammy.

“Scrubbing the kitchen floor with my tongue.” Sammy told him giggling once more.

Roman groaned and shot a look at Ella.

“Actually that sounds better than uniform shopping.” He pointed out.

Ella gave him a look and sipped silently at her own coffee.

“There were other options.” Sophie told him.

“Oh goody.” Roman said in response.

Ella gave him a sly look.

“Hang-gliding.” Georgie told him.

“Buying a puppy.” Meggy said.

“Getting a tattoo.” Sophie added.

“I can’t believe that school uniform won out of those.” Roman murmured chuckling.

“I want a puppy.” Meggy said. “If I put it on my Christmas list….”

“You’ll get hang-gliding lessons and like it.” Ella told her.

“Your mother doesn’t like dogs.” Roman told Meggy.

“I don’t like you half the time but you still get fed and watered.” Ella said to Roman.

Roman gave her a look before rolling his eyes.

“But you never take me out for walks anymore.” He murmured soulfully.

“So anyway back to the puppy.” Meggy said after she’d stopped giggling at them.

Georgie laughed.

“Nice try Meggy I don’t think it is going to work.”

Ella looked at Meggy.

“But if you took a vote how come you ended up uniform shopping?” Roman asked puzzled.

“Because they all voted for their own thing and I have the deciding vote.” Ella grinned. “And of course Lily and Liam’s vote by proxy.”

“Kids did you forget how sneaky your mother was?” he asked them.

Sammy nodded.

“Yes.” He said before he could stop himself.

“Anyway kids I want you to go get showered and dressed. Don’t forget to brush your teeth. Georgie you can borrow some of your Dad’s deodorant and we’ll pick up some more today.” Ella told them watching as they stood up and began moving out of the room.

“Oh he can?” Roman murmured to her.

“If you want a smelly kid in the back of the car…..” Ella pointed out.

“Didn’t he have his own?”

Ella nodded.

“He finished his last lot and forget to add it to the shopping list.” She said.

“Are we going to talk about last night?” Roman burst out with.

“What’s to say?” she asked standing from the table and moving into the kitchen.

“I don’t know how about an explanation as to what you and Jacko were doing?” he said before he could stop himself.

Ella glared at him.

“Having hot kinky sex.” She muttered and stormed out of the kitchen and up the stairs. He heard the slam of their bedroom door and swore before he was interrupted by a knock at the door. Pulling his robe tighter around himself he moved over to answer it.

“Good morning I have your rental car here.” The man said when he’d opened it.

“Rental car?” he asked.

“Mrs Ella Harris?”

“That would be my wife.” Roman said slowly.

“Ok then. Here’s the paperwork could you sign here?”

Roman nodded and checked over the rental agreement quickly before signing on the bottom line. He was handed a set of keys and copy of the paperwork before the man left walking over to his partner in the second vehicle.

“Is that the car?” Ella asked from behind him.

“More like a minibus.” He said. “That is going to be a pain to drive.”

He turned closing the door and looking over at her.

“Where are we going?” he asked.

“Yabbie Creek mall.” She told him. “When you’re dressed can you put the child seats in from your car please?”

Roman nodded.

“Are we going to start Christmas shopping?”

Ella shrugged.

“We don’t even have a list and I don’t feel like a big fuss this year.”

“Ok.” he said softly.

He walked over to her and leaned down to kiss her cheek.

“I’ll get a shower then.” He murmured before heading up the stairs to their room. He saw Georgie heading out of their en suite and grinned.

“Left me some?” he asked.

Georgie blushed.

“This growing up business isn’t funny Dad.” He told him. “I hate having to take extra showers.”

“Just you wait until you start shaving.”

Georgie groaned as he walked out leaving Roman to shower. He came out and dressed before heading down the stairs and out to his car retrieving the car seats. He fastened them into the hire car just as Ella led out the babies.

“Ok?” she asked him.

“Yes.” He replied reaching for William. He lifted his son in the car and strapped him into his seat offering him his toy to keep him occupied before doing the same with Lily.

Ella gave him a smile before moving back inside the house.

“Kids get in the car.” She called out grinning as they rushed to the door.

“In the car.” Roman muttered. He couldn’t stop himself from counting them in and checking they had their seatbelts done up.

Ella pulled the door shut and climbed behind the wheel accepting the keys from Roman she started the unfamiliar car groaning as she turned the steering wheel manoeuvring it out of the drive.

“Alright?” Roman asked.

“It feels heavy.” She murmured.

“Want me to drive?” he asked her placing his hand on her knee.

She grinned at him.

“Why did we have kids? I used to be able to fit Mike on the back of my motorbike.”

Roman laughed.

“Don’t say that too loud I think Lily will want a go.”

Ella laughed glancing at the kids in the back in the rear view mirror. She turned on to the road that took them to Yabbie Creek easing her foot on the accelerator.

“Roman.” She murmured.

“Yes I see it.” he murmured. “Keep going.”

She nodded checking on the black car that seemed to be following them. She sighed when it turned off into a driveway and parked up.

“Ok.” Roman said again.

“I’m starting to feel paranoid.” She groaned.

“Well leave him alone.” Roman shot out grinning at her.

She glanced at him frowning before she got the joke and grinned weakly.

“Ok Kids nearly there.” Roman said after a time. “I want you to stick together and no wandering off.”

Sophie rolled her eyes before looking at Meggy who was playing with her hair, her newly washed and styled hair.

“You know what that means don’t you?” she asked her.

“Yeah. You lot distract them whilst I go look at Barbies.”

Ella gave her a strained look.

“No joking around please.” She murmured quickly to them.

“It’s ok Mummy.” Meggy said quickly.

Ella sighed as she pulled the car into a parking space and slowed to a stop. She turned the key in the ignition turning off the engine and sighed once more.

“We don’t have a buggy do we?” Roman asked after a moment.

“No.” Ella said not elaborating the point that the buggy got destroyed when her car exploded.

“First stop the maternity shop. We can look for something for Gabby for Christmas.”

“Too soon yet.” Ella said as she climbed out of the car. She helped the children get out of the back handing William to him to carry while she took charge of Lily.

“Don’t have to buy it just look.” Roman murmured.

Ella shrugged, locking the car and tucking the keys in her handbag.

“Lets go.” She said leading them to the elevators.

“Mum are we going to …” Georgie began to ask.

Ella gave him a look.

“Don’t worry.” She told him.

“It’s just that Dad’s stuff smells.”

Roman laughed.

“Thanks son.”

“You know what I mean.” Georgie flushed.

“Yeah, you’re saying that your dad smells.” Ella grinned over at Roman. “And it’s true.”

Roman gave her a look and shook his head before feeling her take hold of his free hand. He smiled then and moved a little closer to her.

“First stop?” he asked.

“Maternity store.” She said with a small smile.

“El.” He whispered kissing her.

“Dada no.” Lily protested. “Squishing me.”

“That true Lily Squeals?” Roman asked his daughter.

“I not squeals.” She said with a grin.

“Not yet but Daddy is going to get you later.” Roman promised.

Lily giggled.

“Dad no.” she said leaning towards him.

“Careful Lily or I’ll drop you.” Ella said having to let go of Roman’s hand to hold on to her daughter.

“Lily walk?” she asked.

“I’ll hold her hand.” Sophie offered.

Lily nodded.

“Not yet babes wait until we are in the shop.” Ella murmured as the elevator drew to a halt and they got off moving through the shopping precinct.

They walked into the maternity shop and Ella was immediately struck by the small baby grows on sale at the front.

”Come on.” Roman murmured.

He lowered William to his feet near Sammy and took Lily out of her arms.

“Watch them.” he cautioned the others before leading Ella to the buggy’s.

“Sorry.” She whispered.

“Ella it’s ok.” he said holding her hand.

“I didn’t know how much…” she began to tell him.

“Ella it’s ok.” he told her again. “Of course you are going to think about the babies and miss them. Not to mention worry about them.”

She nodded before looking at him.

“Ok buggy’s.” she said after a moment.

She walked over to the back of the store and looked at the display feeling Roman moving to stand next to her. He put his arm around her waist and sighed when she lent into him.

“That one.” She said pointing to a double buggy.

“Is that the same model as our last one?” Roman asked frowning.

Ella nodded.

“Don’t you want to look at different models?” he asked her.

Ella gave him a look.

“Ok then we are buying that one.” He murmured.

He moved over to the tills and spoke to the assistant before walking back over to Ella.

“They have one in stock and are bringing it out..” he explained.

She gave him a smile.

“Ok.”

“Seen anything for Gabby?” he asked.

Ella shrugged.

“I don’t know what she has.” She murmured. “I should pick some things out for the twins so that I have everything ready for when they come home.”

Roman gave her a searching look before he nodded. He found her hand reaching for his own and he squeezed sympathetically.

“Maybe not today.” He murmured.

She nodded.

“Here you are.” The shop assistant interrupted them bringing out the buggy already assembled and ready for use.

“Thanks.” Roman murmured.

“I’ll go pay.” Ella said.

Roman nodded watching her move away. He pushed the buggy over to where the children were.

“Ok Lily squeals.” He called out.

She gave him a look and shook her head.

“Lily walks.” She told him.

Roman smiled before picking up his daughter and sitting her in the double buggy. He collected William and sat him in too.

“Ok all done.” Ella said.

“So we can go buy uniforms now?” Roman asked her.

“Yippee.” Sammy said sarcastically.

Ella smiled.

“Come on kid. If we get this over with quickly the parents may treat us to lunch.” Georgie told his brother.

Sammy rolled his eyes.

“Starting to sound like Mike.” he muttered walking out of the shop.

Ella gave Georgie a look and smiled at him before moving to push the buggy.

“I’ll do it.” Roman said to her.

They moved out of the shop and along the parade to the next shop they wanted. Ella walked inside first moving over to the school uniforms on display. She collected the various sizes needed draping them over her arm heading to the tills.

“That’s it?” Sophie asked.

Roman gave his daughter a look.

“what you wanted to try them on?” he asked her.

She shook her head.

“Ok?” Ella asked walking back over to them.

“Is that the uniforms done?” Sammy asked his mouth open.

“Yes.” Ella told her son.

She handed the bag to Roman and he fastened it on to the back of the buggy.

“Where next?” he asked.

“The stationery shop.” She murmured to him.

He nodded leading them out of the shop checking that they were all together. They climbed into the elevator, moving around to fit everyone in.

“I want you to find a folder, pencil case, notebooks ok. Then you need to come back to us. Do not leave the shop.” Ella instructed them.

“Can we get pens and stuff?” Sophie asked.

“Yes but don’t go mad ok.” Roman told them as the door opened. He pushed the buggy out first then the children followed moving over to the shop. It took a second to realise that Ella hadn’t followed them and he stopped turning to her. He saw her standing by the elevator.

“Sophie hold the buggy for a moment. Wait here.” He instructed before heading back over to Ella. “What is it?” he asked quickly.

She pointed to the floor they had just come from.

“I thought I saw someone watching us.” She said to him.

“Someone or him?”

He moved to her side feeling her shiver.

“El.” He whispered.

“Let’s go shopping.” She said instead of what she wanted to say. She knew that it was him following them from the pit of her stomach. He wasn’t finished with them and it scared her to death.

Chapter 56

Roman moved down the stairs and into the kitchen.

“Last of the things put away.” He told her.

“Thank you.”

“Kids are quiet.” He commented.

“That’s because they are off using their new pens and notepads to write their Christmas lists.” Ella said stirring the pan on the hob.

“And we had to buy them paper because?”

Ella shot him a look.

“Well if it was up to you we wouldn’t have taught them to speak.”

“True. I mean look at Mike.” he grinned at her.

Ella gave him a smile.

“Dinner is nearly done.”

“Want me to get the little ones at the table?”

Ella looked over at him and nodded watching as he walked through to the lounge and spoke softly to Lily and Liam. She focused once more on the soup before turning off the heat and pouring it into the bowls. She took plates through to the table putting them out and making a second trip with cutlery.

“I’ll do it.” Sophie offered running over to the table.

“Thank you.” Ella murmured.

“What next?” Roman asked.

Ella handed him the plate of toast and the basket of rolls. He smiled at her before taking them and placing them in the centre of the table. Sophie moved over to the fridge and collected the spread taking that to the table.

“Hand me the bowls?” Roman asked.

Ella handed two bowls to him, working in conveyor belt style until the bowls of soup were served up. She handed him the two trays of food for the babies.

“Ok everyone, wash hands and come to the table please.” Ella called out to them.

“What are you having?” he asked Ella.

She shrugged.

“I’ll get something in a minute.”

Roman shook his head.

“What?” she asked him.

“You need to eat.” He said frowning at her. “How about I fix something?”

“Your food will get cold.” She told him gently.

“Doesn’t matter.” He muttered.

She gave him a look before moving over to him and kissing him.

“Thank you. Eat your food.” She whispered slowly walking back into the kitchen. He watched her move to the freezer and take out a vegetarian ready meal slotting it into the microwave. She moved over to sit next to him taking a bread roll out of the basket and buttering it.

“Thank you.” He murmured to her.

She gave him a soppy smile.

“Mummy.” Sammy murmured. “Have you and Daddy talked about the sleepover yet?”

“No we haven’t Sammy.” Ella told him. “I’m still not sure it’s a good idea.”

“That’s because you don’t like him.” Sammy muttered glaring at her.

“Sammy that’s enough.” Roman bit out.

“It’s true. We’ve asked for him to come over a load of times and Mummy always says no.” Sammy told his dad.

“I don’t want to hear that Sammy. If your mother…”

“Roman.” Ella said softly interrupting him.

He turned and looked at her.

“Its true that I don’t like him Sammy, but that is because I don’t know him and because as you all know he could be your Daddy’s other little boy. You can’t force me to like him by bringing him over here. But for your information I don’t want anything bad to happen while he’s here so that is why I’m worried about him coming over.”

Sammy paled and put his spoon in his half-finished bowl.

“Mummy is that bad man coming for us?” he asked looking around the table.

“I don’t know. I don’t think so Sammy. And you know your Dad and I will do everything we can to protect you.”

“That is why Pete is here with us.” Sophie told her brother.

“Now I think your mother deserves an apology.” Roman murmured.

Sammy muttered something under his breath.

“Sorry Sammy I don’t think your mother managed to hear that.” Roman said slowly.

“Roman.” Ella said again.

“No Ella. He was rude.” Roman said looking at her son.

“And in a few years he’s going to be a teenager. I wouldn’t waste the telling off’s now when you might need them later.” She said softly.

Roman looked at her before sighing.

“Ok.” he said

Meggy gave Sammy a smile.

“What was that for?” he asked grumpily.

“Well with the amount of telling offs I’ve gotten over the years I don’t think I’ll have any left for when I’m a teenager.”

“Don’t you count on it Meggy my girl.” Ella said to her daughter. “We stocked up extra for you as soon as you were born.”

Sammy giggled when Meggy paled at her mother’s statement.

“That’s mean.” She murmured.

Ella smiled at her before standing up and collecting her meal from the microwave returning back to the table.

“Mum.” Georgie began.

“Ok here it comes.” Ella murmured.

Georgie blushed.

“I was just going to say that…” he stopped catching Meggy’s eye. “That we want a dog.”

Ella sat back in her chair and looked round the faces of the kids.

“And who is going to walk it? Feed it? Pay for the vet fees?” she asked.

Meggy looked over at her and pouted.

“The only animal I’m planning on buying anytime soon might be another horse for Sophie.” Ella added quietly.

“Why does she get a horse and I can’t have a dog?” Meggy cried.

“Because she proved that she can take care of a horse. I know what you are like Meggy. A few months and that dog will no longer be a puppy. You’ll start to get bored with the walking and the feeding. Then you’ll be in high school. You’ll be working longer hours on your study, making new friends and getting involved in new activities. Tell me now is it fair to get a dog in those circumstances?”

Roman gave Ella a look as she spoke before looking over at his daughter watching as the information sank in.

“Mummy.” Meggy said quietly. “How can I prove that I would take care of a dog?”

“You can’t.” Ella said to her. “And I don’t want a dog. I don’t like them.”

“Then that isn’t fair.”

“It probably isn’t fair. But think about this you’ll be at college or Uni. in seven years. Where is the dog going to be then?” Ella added to the discussion.

“I think we should take a vote on it.” Sammy suggested his mouth full of food.

“Sammy manners.” Ella said immediately,

He swallowed his food and looked over at his Mum.

“Well can we vote on it?” he asked.

Meggy looked at him and grinned before glancing at Sophie and Georgie.

“Yes a vote.” She told her mother.

“Fine.” Ella said.

“I vote yes we get a dog.” Meggy said immediately and turned to Sammy.

“I vote yes we get a dog.” Sammy said.

He took another drink of his soup and looked over at Sophie.

“I vote no.” Sophie said slowly.

“Sophie.” Meggy groaned her sister’s name.

“Well it’s what Mummy said. We are looking at different things. You want to learn to do gymnastics and I want to try photography. Georgie is doing army cadets. Sammy will be doing his studying.” She pointed out to her sister.

“Photography?” Roman asked Sophie.

She nodded.

“That and be a model.” She murmured casting a look at her Mum.

“Nice how I’m just going to study…” Sammy muttered sarcastically.

“Well what else do you want to do?” Sophie asked rolling her eyes as though she already knew the answer.

“I’m only 10 I don’t know.” Sammy muttered.

“Exactly.” Sophie told him.

“If anyone is interested I vote yes let’s get a dog. But not one of those yappie ones.” Georgie murmured interrupting what he knew was going to be a long argument.

“That is three votes for and one against.” Meggy told her mother.

“I vote no.” Roman murmured.

“I vote no.” Ella said to her daughter.

“That is three votes a piece.” Meggy said. “Let’s ask Lily.”

Ella raised her eyebrow.

“Lily do you want a dog?” Meggy asked her.

“Yes.” Lily murmured.

“That is four votes Mummy.”

“Uh huh.”

Roman smiled at his daughter.

“Liam do you want a dog?” Meggy asked.

“Yes.” Liam said.

“And I think that is five votes.” Meggy crowed triumphantly.

Ella sat back in her chair before standing and walking out the back over to the pool house. She returned a moment later with Gabby, Danni and Mike

“Now ask the question.” Ella said to Meggy.

“What?” she asked.

“They live here too and you can’t expect them not to be affected by getting a dog.”

“A dog?” Mike asked glancing at Danni.

“And then we need to speak to Irene.” Ella asked.

“We’re voting on whether we can get a dog or not.” Meggy explained to them.

“I vote no.” Gabby murmured. “You’ve got cats and rabbits.”

“Don’t forget the guinea pig.” Sammy murmured.

“I abstain.” Danni murmured.

“I’m allergic to dogs.” Mike told Meggy slowly. “I vote no.”

“You never told me that Mummy.” Meggy said angrily.

“And if I had you would have thought I was making up a reason why I don’t want a dog. “

“Mum.” Mike said quickly.

“It’s ok Mike we’re talking this through.” Ella murmured to her son. “Now I promised you desert for coming over here. I have ice cream or cake.”

Gabby eased into a seat next to Sophie.

“I think you mean and.” She told her mother.

“And?” Sammy asked.

“Ice cream and cake.” Mike explained sitting down too.

Danni looked at him.

“Allergic to dogs?” she asked.

He nodded.

“Are you sure about that?” she asked glancing at Ella.

Mike chuckled.

“Yeah I’m sure. What was that dogs name Mum?”

“Rex.” Ella said to him from the kitchen. She walked over and handed Gabby a bowl with both ice cream and cake.

“Yeah Rex. He was Dane’s dog. Every time I went round there I started to feel ill. Sneezing and scratching.”

Ella handed him a bowl with ice cream in it. She caught sight of his expression before placing the cake on the table pre cut into portions.

“It was thought I was acting up because I didn’t like Mum’s boyfriend.” He continued the story adding cake to his bowl.

Ella gave him a smile before handing a similar bowl to Danni watching as she sat down and began to eat the three flavours of ice cream in her bowl smiling at Ella for remembering what she liked.

“Jacko came to talk to me. Asking me all sorts of questions.” Mike continued unaware of the sudden tension between Ella and Roman. “Then he took me to a dog kennel and I started coughing and wheezing. That’s when Mum took me to the doctors to get tested for allergies.” Mike finished.

“That rules out getting a dog then.” Meggy said looking sad.

“Not necessarily Megs.” Mike told her. “We could go and see if dogs still make me have the same reaction.”

Meggy shook her head.

“No.” she said to him. “Because Mummy is right. Dogs live till they are an average of 16 years. I’ll be moved out then and it won’t be fair on the dog.”

“So you are planning to move out?” Roman asked.

Meggy frowned.

“Well yes.”

“Good.” He murmured.

“Daddy!” Meggy protested.

“I just had visions of building another house in the garden for you.” Roman told her with a mock groan.

“Next to ours.” Sophie said with a sly grin.

“Sophie don’t frighten your dad please.” Ella called out from the kitchen. She walked through to the table and handed out two bowls to Lily and Liam.

“Narna.” Lily called out smiling.

“That’s right baby girl.” Ella said with a smile. “And Ice cream.”

She took away their plates and moved them into the kitchen before coming back out with a stack of bowls placing them in front of Sammy, Meggy and Sophie. A last trip brought in ice cream for Georgie and Roman.

“Thanks.” He said stroking her arm as she sat next to him.

She gave him a smile before picking up her knife and fork and continuing her dinner.

“Funny you should mention building another house in the garden.” Ella began giving him a look.

“Whatever the question is the answer is no.” Roman said quickly.

She grinned at him.

“It might not work anyway.” She began. “Sophie I want you to think about if you want another horse.”

Sophie looked puzzled for a minute before she grinned.

“Oh.” She said.

“Oh what?” Roman asked before glancing at a smiling Ella. “No.” he said catching on.

“Well it already has a shower room so the plumbing is in place.” Ella began.

“And who are you thinking of living there?” Roman asked her raising his eyebrow as he looked over at her.

She looked at Gabby before looking back at Roman.

“What?” Gabby asked when she caught Roman glaring at her.

“Mum is asking about turning the stables into another house. For you and the baby.” Sophie explained.

“That would be cool.” Meggy murmured grinning.

“Ella. I mean Mum.” Gabby murmured looking at her and then Roman. “We can’t.”

“Why?” Sophie asked sounding disappointed. “I mean if I do want another horse I can keep it at a stables can’t I Mum. This way Gabby won’t move away.”

Gabby looked at her sister.

“Because Jacob will still be here.” She explained slowly.

“So?” Sophie asked immediately. “He didn’t mean to hurt me.”

“Soph.” Ella spoke softly to her daughter.

“Well it’s true isn’t it Mum? He did it because he was in a horrible situation. I mean he creeped me out lots but he only tried to kiss me. I don’t want you to take the baby away Gabby. I don’t want to lose you again. Please.” Sophie burst out with before tears sprang from her eyes. She vaulted up from the table and ran out of the room.

“I’ll go.” Gabby murmured.

“No.” Ella said to her daughter.

She stood up from her seat and eased out of the room.

“Well.” Mike said softly looking at Gabby. “Guess you can’t disappear on us after all.”

“You weren’t planning that were you?” Meggy asked her.

“Not really Megs,” Gabby said softly. “I just didn’t want Sophie to be upset because of Jacob.”

“Well you love him don’t you? Like Mummy and Daddy love each other?” Sammy asked frowning.

“Yes we do.” Gabby told him.

“Well if Mummy can forgive Daddy for having a baby with someone else then you can forgive him for nearly kissing Sophie.” he pointed out with his version of logic.

“I’m sorry for being emotional.” Sophie said walking over to the table. “But if its an option for you to stay will you consider it?” she added slowly.

“Of course I will my lovely sister.” Gabby told her walking over to her and hugging her.

“Ok thank you Sophie.” Ella said to her. “If you want more ice cream.”

“I do.” Sammy said quickly.

“I’m fine thanks Mummy.” She grinned at Sammy moue of disappointment.

“Great.” Ella said moving to sit back next to Roman. She caught his distracted expression and smiled at him.

“That must be cold by now.” He said standing up and picking up her dinner. “I’ll get you something different.”

“Ok.” Ella said slowly giving him a look.

He moved into the kitchen.

“Can I have those who have finished to take their pots into the kitchen please.” Ella asked.

“Mum.” Mike said slowly.

“Yes.”

“Is it ok if I use the studio next couple of weeks.”

“Of course it is.” She told him.

“What’s that?” Roman asked bringing in a plate and placing it in front of Ella. She grinned at him for the omelette he’d cooked and brought over to her.

“I need to do some catching up on my course.” Mike explained.

“Really?” Sammy asked his eyes wide with disbelief.

Mike nodded.

“Fraid so Samson.” Mike said softly.

“But you are like….” Sammy paused thinking of what he wanted to say. “Well a superbrain.” He said as though he were actually saying the word ‘God’.

“Thanks little bro.” Mike grinned at his brother. “But well it’s a difficult subject and I haven’t been focusing on it.”

“Oh.” Sammy said again.

“Just one thing though.” Ella said. “If Danni visits you then I don’t want her driving at night.”

Danni glanced up.

“Guess that means I’m staying with you then.”

Mike chuckled.

“Mike.” Sammy murmured.

“I’ll let you have a look at one of my books squirt.” Mike told him. “Then you’ll figure out why it’s so difficult.”

“But if you can’t handle it how am I going to cope?” he asked frowning.

“Ah bless Samson.” Ella said slowly. “Were you wanting to follow Mike?”

Sammy gave a little nod.

“So which brother is going to end up learning to surf like me?” Toby asked picking up on the conversation as he moved through the French doors.

“I want to learn to surf.” Sophie told him. “Think you can teach a girl?”

Ella laughed at the challenging note in her daughter’s voice.

“No worries.”

“Have you eaten?” Roman asked Toby watching him nod before he sat down inbetween Georgie and Sophie.

“Aden and Belle fed me.” Toby explained ignoring the knowing look from Ella.

“Catching up with your brother?” she asked him slowly.

“Foster brother, there isn’t actually a blood connection.” He quickly pointed out and smothered a groan as she grinned at him.

“Want to watch a film Sammy?” Georgie asked him.

“Upstairs please.” Ella said.

“Can I take the children up for their bath?” Sophie asked grinning.

“You and Meggy.” Ella murmured. “But let them play a bit in the nursery first.”

“Hear that Lily?” Sophie asked her sister.

Lily nodded sucking on her fingers.

Meggy stood up taking her things into the kitchen before bringing the wipes back to see to Lily and Liam. Sophie stood too and took her things through heading back after a minute and clearing the highchairs. She moved quickly back and lifted out Lily and then Liam before she and Meggy took them out of the room and up the stairs.

“Off you go you two. Nothing too violent.” Ella said to her sons.

“Ok if I come too?” Mike asked them.

“Cool.” Sammy said.

Georgie and Sammy stood clearing the table. Mike did the same and they moved out of the room together, discussing what film they wanted to watch.

“Why don’t you go too?” Ella suggested to Toby.

He nodded and stood up heading out of the room.

“Just on thing.” Ella called out as he was near the door. “How was Amy-Belle?”

“She was wonderful.” Toby said without thinking.

He turned and gave her a look blushing red before heading out of the room and up the stairs.

“Sneaky mother.” Danni said.

“I didn’t know Sophie was so upset about me?” Gabby whispered.

“She’ll be fine. It was good because it brought out some of the stuff she’s been bottling up. If you do go and live somewhere she’ll come and stay with you.” Ella comforted her daughter.

“Really?” Gabby asked brightening up.

Danni chuckled.

“You just haven’t got used to the fact that we love you.” She told her sister.

“Guess not.” She grinned.

“Finished?” Roman asked Ella indicating her plate.

She nodded.

“Thank you that was nice.” She smiled at him again.

He smiled back and picked up her plate taking it through to the kitchen. He moved around it cleaning down the surfaces and stacking the dishwasher.

“Well as I’ve been abandoned by my boyfriend I’m going to go and pamper myself.” Danni murmured.

“Sounds like a good idea.” Gabby grinned. “Girlie session?”

“Defo.” Danni said nodded.

The two girls stood up and took their pots into the kitchen before leaving out the back,

“Want a drink?” Roman called out.

Ella smiled.

“Not if its that horrible vinegar stuff.” She told him and heard him laugh form the kitchen. He came out with a couple of beers holding one out to her.

She stood up and moved over to the sofa.

“I’m worn out.” she said to him.

“Why don’t you get an early night?” he said.

“I might.” She grinned at him. “Depends though.”

“On what?” Roman asked frowning.

“If my husband is going to make it worthwhile.” She gave him a look from under her lashes.

“Thought you were tired.” He pointed out his voice husky.

“I think I can find some energy from somewhere.”

Roman laughed before grabbing hold of her hand and leading her up the stairs. He took them into the bedroom looking around before closing and locking the door.

“In a hurry Mister?” she asked him grinning.

“No of course not.” He denied. “Get naked.” He added.

Ella giggled.

Chapter 57

“All kids in bed.” Roman murmured slipping out of his clothes and sliding back into bed next to El.

“That’s good.” She said sleepily. “Now do you want to tell me what upset you earlier? You know when you went and made my omelette.”

“Witch.” He muttered rolling on his back.

Ella giggled and rolled over placing her head on his shoulder and snuggling into his side. He automatically put his arm around her pressing her naked body against his.

“Sammy said that if you forgive me Marcus then Gabby should forgive Jacob for kissing Sophie.” Roman said eventually, covering his eyes with his free arm.

“Bless Sammy.” Ella murmured. “Likes everything logical doesn’t he?”

“Yes.” Roman said his voice sounding uncertain.

Ella sighed before moving once more on top of Roman.

“Ella?” he asked quickly.

“I need to distract you.” She told him softly. “You’re brooding.”

“I am.” He agreed smiling at her. “I’m also slightly exhausted from earlier.”

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll do all the work.” She lowered her head and kissed him before running her hands over his chest.

“Yum.” He murmured capturing her head and bringing her lips to meet his. He kissed her slowly feeling her hands stroking his arms.

“Nice.” He told her.

He moved his arms down to her waist stroking down her back.

“Still doesn’t solve the problem….” He began trailing off when she kissed him into silence.

“Come in.” Nic called out.

“Sorry I know it’s late but I needed a girlie talk.” Belle said coming in through the door and placing a bottle of wine on the top.

“That’s ok. Geoff is out and the kids are in bed.” Nic said softly. She switched off the iron and placed it to one side before tackling the ironing board.

“Shall I pour?” Belle asked opening the wine with the corkscrew she’d taken out of the kitchen drawer.

“Please.” Nic murmured stacking the ironing to one side.

Belle reached for the glasses taking down two and pouring out the medium white wine.

“So what’s up?” Nic asked taking one of the glasses and leading Belle over to the sofa. They both sat down, Belle daintily moving the cushion behind her.

“Amy-Belle.” Belle murmured her daughter’s name.

“Well a teen pregnancy is overdue in this town.” Nic grinned as she spoke.

“Yeah but I never expected my daughter to date a psycho, get knocked up and spend five months lying to me and everyone.” As Belle spoke her distress increased.

“Belle come on. We give our kids the same lectures, don’t do drugs, wait before you get involved, be careful etc that our parents gave us and did we listen?”

Belle sighed.

“It’s not so much the teen pregnancy it’s the lying and sneaking around that is making me angry. In the middle of Ella dealing with losing the babies, as we thought anyway, she had to deal with Amy-Belle blackmailing her into adopting her baby.”

“Woah.” Nic said draining her glass.

“Nic?” Belle murmured watching her.

“Catch up!” Nic instructed.

Belle grinned before shaking her head. She tossed back the white wine in her glass and grinned when Nic refilled their glasses.

“So who are you mad at? Amy-Belle for being insensitive or Ella for not telling you?” Nic asked her sitting back down next to her, the bottle of wine carefully placed on the small white painted coffee table in front of them.

“Amy-Belle.” Belle murmured. “And Ella. God, I sound like a bitch, I mean Ella was going through so much stuff and my daughter did that to her.”

“Sometimes you do the wrong thing for the right reasons.” Nic said softly.

“Sounding a lot like Geoff there.” Belle said with a hint of a smile.

Nic chuckled.

“I just feel really mean for being mad at Ella. She was trying to help Amy-Belle and my daughter threw it back in her face but maybe if she’d told us we could have…” Belle trailed off.

“It’s ok it’s a normal motherly type reaction. Some other woman interfering with your daughter in the role that should be yours. And on top of that you and Aden were struggling.” Nic said quietly. “If it had been me in that position I think I would have slapped Ella.”

“Really?” Belle asked.

“No, are you kidding my dad would have killed me, but I would have thought about it.” Nic said with a straight face.

Belle looked at her before she laughed.

“Fair point. No I don’t think I wanted to slap her but I feel angry.” Belle admitted before taking a long drink.

“And got no release for it.”

Belle nodded.

“How is Amy-Belle?” Nic asked softly after a few moments.

“Is she keeping the baby you mean?” Belle groaned. “We have no idea what is going through her head.”

“Does she know you were adopted?” Nic said quietly.

Belle shook her head before fixing Nic in her gaze.

“Toby has been talking to her about his adoption and he had amazing parents.”

“Three sets of twins.” Nic said glancing up the stairs to where her youngest was asleep. “Thank god that didn’t run through my side of the family.”

Belle laughed.

“What do you think of my brother?” Nic said changing the subject.

“He’s nice. Laid back but at the same time he knows that he needs to work and earn a living.” Belle muttered.

“Well I hope you like him as a son-in-law.”

Belle choked on her wine.

“Ella.” She groaned out the other woman’s name.

“Yup.” Nic said. “She’s good at matchmaking. Miles is so happy.”

Belle chuckled.

“I suppose he won’t be too bad and Ella will buy them a house or something.”

Nic laughed before topping up the glasses.

“Feel better?” Nic asked.

“I do.”

“How are you and Aden?” she said after a minute.

“We’re ok.” Belle admitted blushing.

“Only ok?” Nic said quietly. “Or ok?” she asked rolling her eyes comically and giving Belle a grin.

“It’s the second one.” Belle said finally hiding her red face behind a cushion.

“We should do this again. Invite Annie over.” Nic suggested. “And Ruby.”

“Just so long as that sister-in-law of yours doesn’t suggest that Aden strips.”

Nic laughed.

“You know what I remember about that night?” Nic mused. “The fact that all of the school thought my dad was hot and I never knew.”

“Nic you would have problems if you thought Roman was hot.” Belle said. “But really I had to work with him when he first moved to the Bay and if Aden hadn’t swept me off my feet I would have…”

“Euh no!” Nic interrupted.

“But it’s true.” Belle said giggling.

“I suppose he’s ok if you like muscles….”

“Its not the muscles it’s the fact he could pick you up and throw you over his shoulder and carry you off without breaking a sweat.” Belle told her watching the display of colours on Nic’s face.

“Geoff can do that too.” She said before she could stop herself.

Belle erupted into giggles before leaning forward and filling their glasses with the last of the wine.

“So can Aden.” She admitted. “But you just can’t help but wonder sometimes…”

Nic shook her head before sipping from her glass.

“Good job Ella can’t hear us or she’d slap you for thinking about it.”

“So let me get this straight. You told Ella that you loved her.” Pete said again.

“No no no.” Jacko groaned and looked over at Miles as he poured out more whisky. “She already knew.”

“Well then you were good at hiding that secret.”

“Not so much she’s always known.” Jacko said glumly. “And all I did was offer her comfort and she kicked me out.”

“So that’s why you asked if you can stay.” Miles muttered.

“You fool.” Pete said. “Not you Miles, that idiot. “

“Thanks.” Jacko said slurring his words.

“Well what do you think? She asked you to leave to stop Roman from beating the crap outta his best friend.” Pete murmured. “No offence Miles.”

“None taken.” Miles muttered sipping at his whisky.

“Him and whose army?” Jacko declared standing up and gesturing with his glass. “Living here in the Bay has turned Hardcore soft.”

“So hardcore is softcore.” Miles asked.

Pete sniggered at the schoolboy humour.

“I’ve loved that girl for twenty years and I get nothing.” Jacko continued waving his glass around so that the fiery alcohol sloshed over the side and on to his fingers.

“You got a kiss.” Miles told him squinting up at the other man.

“A kiss? Pah!”

Jacko looked at him and collapsed on to the sofa.

“You stole one of Roman’s kisses and waited for them to ask you to leave?” Miles shook his head.

“Not one of Roman’s kisses.” Jacko interrupted.

“I would have run out of there.” Miles finished before giggling.

“Are you telling me you never thought about it? She’s hot.” Pete said quickly.

“Never.”

“Coward.” Pete grinned.

“Because I didn’t think about snogging my best friends wife?” Miles asked.

“Well yeah.” Jacko said catching up with the conversation.

“Oh come on. Ella will never do anything to hurt Roman.” Miles pointed out sipping at his drink once more. “And well Roman is trained to kill.”

Pete laughed and looked over at Jacko.

“He may be trained to kill but he’s getting on a bit.”

Miles looked around the room quickly.

“What’s wrong?” Pete asked.

“Normally when you say that sort of stuff he shouts at you.” Miles said with a pout.

Pete Jacko and Miles burst out laughing.

Chapter 58

“Can I have a word with you?” Martha walked over to the counter and spoke to Roman all too aware of others trying to listen in, Colleen for one.

“Sure.” Roman said slowly. He looked at his watch and then over at the woman standing in front of him. “Can you give me twenty minutes? My shift will be over then.”

Martha gave him a look.

“Fine.” She said softly.

He watched her move away and sit back at a table picking up a magazine once more. Her fingers traced a picture before she turned the page. He remembered being with her and laughing a lot. Living with both her and Morag and then Aden moving in. They had been an unconventional family. He was lost in his thoughts for a long time before he remembered to get his phone out. He typed the message out and hit send looking at the small display screen waiting for the delivery report.

“Planning on doing any work today?” Colleen asked him placing a slip of paper containing an order on the top beside his hand.

“No none.” Roman told her with a grin at seeing her face change.

He leaned forward and kissed her cheek before winking at her and taking the order with him through to the kitchen.

“Well I never.” She cried out flustered.

Roman washed his hands before starting on to cook the order. He focused on the food chopping, preparing, cooking, feeling the stress draining away as he worked. When he next looked up he saw that nearly thirty minutes had gone past and he swore.

“Colleen I’m taking my break now.” He called out as the other woman walked back into the kitchen.

“Ok. It’s gone pretty quiet.” She commented.

Roman dragged off his apron and washed his hands once more before heading out of the kitchen, there was nothing worse that the smell of raw onions when you were trying to have a serious conversation.

“Sorry.” He called out to Martha as he moved towards her table.

“No worries.” She told him grinning up at him.

Roman caught sight of Colleen watching them from the kitchen and hid his own grin.

“Perhaps we should take this outside.” He suggested.

Martha nodded at him and stood up moving out of the diner with him.

He scanned the car park looking for Ella’s car, he’d asked her down so they could speak to Martha together and gave a sigh when he couldn’t see it.

“Ok?” Martha asked him.

“Yes.” He said softly. “Over there?” he asked her pointing to a stretch of the beach. He watched her nod and she moved following him stumbling a little as she stepped on to the soft sand.

“Steady.” He cried out gently, putting his hand out to steady her.

“Thanks.” She murmured giving him that smile again. She bent down and slipped off her shoes straightening up with them in her hand. Roman realised then that he was still holding on to her arm and he stepped hurriedly back. His hand dropping back to his side.

“What did you need to talk to me about?” he asked quickly to cover up his disquiet.

“Well it’s about the DNA test. I need to get it done.” She murmured to him quietly her voice sounding distressed.

“I know but ..” he stopped wondering what to tell her. “We’ve had other stuff to deal with.”

Martha sighed and lowered her lashes before opening her eyes wide and looking at him.

He could the glint of tears in her eyes and felt rotten for the briefest of moments. He wished that Ella were there to help him deal with this.

“Time is running out Roman. “ she told him quietly.

“What do you mean?” he asked puzzled.

“You don’t think we can hang around here forever do you?” she asked him.

“Martha you can’t just show up telling me I’m the father and then disappear?” he asked her quickly in return.

She shook her head.

“We have another life Roman. We need to go back to it if you aren’t prepared to face up to your responsibilities.”

“My responsibilities?” he sneered getting mad at her. “I didn’t want to have sex with you Martha I was happily married.”

“So what I forced you?” she asked. “I don’t think that is possible.”

Roman shook his head before glancing around looking for Ella once more knowing she would have the right answers. He floundered wondering where this conversation was going.

“It doesn’t matter for the moment how it happened if Marcus is my son you can’t take him anywhere.” He said.

“He’s my son too Roman. You can’t just claim him and control what happens.” She stated looking up at him.

“Did you think I was going to let him disappear again? Surely you knew I would want him.” Roman snapped.

“Is that why he keeps telling me about all these plans you have? The sleepovers?” Martha cried out looking sad. “Are you taking my child from me?” she asked him tears falling down her face.

Roman shook his head and was forced to watch as she dropped her shoes to the sand and covered her face with her hands.

“No.” he told her sounding uncertain and heard her sobbing at his answer.

“You want my baby.” She cried out sounding so sad.

“Martha don’t.” he said quickly.

She made a distressed sounding sob and he automatically reached out and took her in his arms, his intention to give her a friendly supportive hug. He felt her shake against him and he sighed.

“It’s going to be ok.” he told her.

She raised her head and gave him a look before putting her arms around his neck and drawing his head to hers. She kissed him.

“What no.” he cried out pulling away from her. “Martha we’re over. You didn’t want me remember?” he muttered taking a step back. He looked at her and saw a small triumphant smile on her face.

“I’m sorry.” She said sounding insincere.

Roman shook his head and stepped further back.

“I’ll be in touch about the test until then I think you should stay away.” He muttered. “Martha I’m happily married.”

“But you kissed me.” She cried out.

“No Martha.” He said.

“Are you going to tell me that you didn’t enjoy it.” she murmured.

She took a step back and stumbled on the sand once more, biting her lip not to grin when he automatically reached out and caught hold of her once more. He held her for the briefest moment before he let her go and shook his head.

“I didn’t enjoy it Martha. Don’t come into the diner again.” He told her and moved away. He looked up and saw Ella standing a little way off and knew that she had seen everything. Swearing he ran towards her, swearing some more when she moved away.

“Ella.” He called out desperately groaning when she didn’t even pause in her haste to get away from him. “Elizabeth.” He shouted out knowing that she hated being called that. He smiled grimly when she stopped and looked at him and he ran over to her.

“She did that because you were watching.” He cried out the only explanation he thought of.

“Doesn’t matter.” She said.

“Yes it does.” Roman cried out. “El please.” He added reaching out to her.

“Don’t touch me.” Ella snapped stepping back.

“El.” Roman muttered hurt by her detachment.

“I’ll see you back at home I’ve got to sort the children out.” Ella said finally. “I left Danni looking after them.”

“It…” Roman began protesting.

“Later.” She murmured turning away from him and walking back to her car.

The rest of this story is dedicated to the people who slapped me round the head and called me an idiot for thinking of giving up writing...... Mind you when you read it you might end up slapping me back round the head and telling me to give up writing again.... - Tele

Chapter 59

Roman walked into the house expecting the kids to be upset and Ella gone. He approached the open back doors and looked out to the garden. He saw the children either playing or splashing about in the pool and cast a frantic look around for Ella.

“I’m here.” She called out moving out of the study and over to him.

“Ella it …” he began stopping when she held up her hand.

“Let me talk first.” She told him watching as he sucked in a deep breath and tensed up. “I’m tired of being in a co-dependant relationship.” She began.

“Ella.” Roman groaned out her name.

“No listen to me. It’s something you aren’t so good at.” She muttered looking past him to make sure the children were still preoccupied. “Either I’m going through some stuff and you have to prop me up or it’s your drama. We can’t go on like this Roman it’s not good for us or the children.”

“So what are you saying? What are you planning?” he asked quickly feeling strangely defensive.

“I’m saying that we have to change.” She looked at him then meeting his eyes.

“Ella.” He said unable to think of the words to follow.

She gave him a smile and took a step towards him.

“El.” He whispered.

She smiled some more and took another step closer somehow stumbling on the even kitchen floor.

“My God Ella!” he exclaimed at the same time as reaching out and catching hold of her.

She looked up at him before winding her arms around his neck and kissing him.

“El.” He said with a groan realising what she was doing.

“How could you fall for that act?” she asked him slapping his arm. “That is one of the oldest tricks in the book. I suppose she gave you the tears too?”

He nodded unable to meet her eyes.

“You idiot.”

“Well thanks for not divorcing me here but could you like make me feel like less of a fool.” He said shaking his head.

Ella laughed.

“You’re not a fool. You were being gallant.” She said quietly. “But I meant what I said about us changing.”

Roman sighed.

“How do we break the cycle then El? Because you know as well as I that right now you are….”

“You can use the word depressed.” She told his softly. “I’m depressed. I’ve got all these hormones going around my system and my children are missing. I can’t…” her voice broke as she tried to explain. “It’s dark.” She whispered easing away from him. “It’s cold and dark where I am. I smile and laugh and play with the children but inside there is nothing keeping me together.”

“Ella.” Roman said totally lost for words. He kept hold of her hand and led her over to the sofa in the lounge sitting next to her all the time his gaze boring into her. “This is the first time you’ve ever talked to me like this.”

She shrugged and tried to pull her hand away from his grasp frowning when he wouldn’t let her go.

“No El don’t.” he cautioned.

“I’m broken.” She whispered finally.

“I know.” He told her. “I see it in your eyes when you think no one is looking. This hurt look. I can’t describe it. It makes me sad every time I see it.”

Ella sighed, moving closer to him. She gave him a smile when he put his arm around her.

“I miss my babies so much.” She told him finally. “I need my children home.”

“I know Ella. I don’t feel it like you do but I miss them too.”

She sighed once more and nodded sadly.

“I know you do.” She said to him.

“Tell me I’m listening.” He said after a moment.

“I just try to keep going for you and the kids but it’s so hard. It feels like I’m pretending to be normal. That everyone sees this shell that they think is Ella and don’t realise that…” she stopped looking down.

“Don’t realise?” he asked after a moment.

“That she’s gone. She’s broken and can’t be mended.” She murmured finally.

“I think she can be mended.” Roman told her.

She looked at him and shook her head.

“Don’t you understand. She’s gone.”

“I see her here in front of me sometimes. She is there when she gives me that look that tells me I’m an idiot, when she hums under her breath as she’s cooking. When she holds my hand, when she kisses me.” He paused, looking at her and took a breath before speaking again. “She scares me when I make love to her though because sometimes she’s so fragile and I don’t want to hurt her or make her do anything she’s not ready for.”

“It’s not the same as when I lost Francesca.” She whispered.

“I know. I also know that when you were really grieving you made yourself organise the funeral and…”

Ella gasped at his words.

“And everything so that I wouldn’t have to do it like I did with Francesca.” He finished as though she hadn’t spoken. “I’m sorry I threw that back at you. I didn’t realise at the time the reason why you did that it just felt like you were separating yourself from me.”

“Maybe I was a little bit. I couldn’t cope with your grief too Roman, I already felt awful for lying to you about the complications with the pregnancy. I knew that we were going to have to talk about that at some point and I couldn’t deal with that.” She said after a long silence. “All the times we go on about being honest with each other and as soon as something comes up I’m lying to you.”

“I hate that you went through that alone El, it makes me feel…” he stopped and sighed, pushing a hand through his hair as he looked at her again his eyes boring into hers. “Less of a man.”

Ella gasped and shook her head tears springing into her eyes.

“I didn’t mean…” she began.

“I know.” He interrupted stopping her. “I know you didn’t.” he added in a softer voice. “It’s just that I couldn’t protect you again, I couldn’t make it ok. I shouldn’t have got you pregnant Ella. I knew you went through hell having William and it was selfish of me to do that knowing that you weren’t very strong. I’ve examined every reason for wanting another baby and it’s just comes down to being selfish. .”

“Roman no.” she cried out distress lining her voice.

“Yes Ella, I missed those months with Lily and then missed being with you when you were pregnant with William.” He stopped talking for a moment. “And I was scared that we could split up again. You had Chris come back into your life and even though you agreed to the wedding you hated it. Getting you pregnant trapped you to me.” He finished slowly unable to meet her gaze.

“You thought I would leave you?” she asked.

Roman nodded.

“I thought there was a chance you would leave me.“ he admitted.

“There is a chance I will leave you now.” She told him her voice full of hurt.

“I know.” He admitted standing up and pacing over to the table. He turned and looked at her. “I see you getting mad at me and wanting to go but somehow I manage to say the right words and you’re still here. God knows I don’t want to lose you Ella but if you say to me that you would get better without me I’ll leave right now. You are the most important thing in the world to me next to my family and I will do anything to help you get better.” He finally said.

“Roman.” Ella stood and ran over to him throwing herself into his arms. “I love you so much.” She gasped out.

Roman sighed as he clung to her.

“How are we going to get you better?” he asked softly burying his face in her hair inhaling the perfume of her shampoo.

“I don’t know.” She whispered shaking her head.

“Mum.” Sammy called out running into the kitchen and interrupting them.

She eased back and wiped at her eyes before turning to her son.

“Yes?” she murmured to him.

“What time is dinner we’re getting hungry.”

“10 O’clock.” She called out to him.

“Oh very funny.” He groaned moving to the fridge.

“Stop right there.” Roman muttered.

“Dad I’m hhhuuunngggrrryyy.” Sammy cried out wailing the last word.

”Yes Sammy but if you eat now….”

“Dad!” Sammy groaned.

“Piece of fruit.” Ella interrupted their argument.

“Fine.” Sammy said moving over to the food bowl and taking an apple.

“I don’t think I heard any manners.” Roman growled out.

“Thanks for the lovely apple.” Sammy said sarcastically.

“Sammy.” Roman called.

He was stopped from further comment when Ella put her hand on his arm.

“El.” He muttered looking at her.

“Sammy outside. Dinner will be at the normal time.” Ella told her son.

He flushed and ran outside clutching his apple.

“El he’s forgetting to …” Roman began.

“Roman he’s a polite boy but picking him up each time he forgets to say thanks or please will cause more arguments and make him resent it.” she pointed out softly.

“Fine.” Roman muttered.

“Do you see my point?” she asked him after a moment.

Roman looked puzzled as he nodded.

“Why?” he had to ask her.

“Why?” She echoed. “Why am I asking if you see my point, you mean?” She asked watching as he nodded. “Trying to make sure we are communicating, I suppose. You tend to leave the children to me.”

Roman pulled back and starred at her.

“El.” He protested, said.

“Sorry I didn’t mean that to come across as a negative. It isn’t its just the way things have developed.” She told him reaching out her hand to him.

“You know if we keep talking like this I may have to go kiss Martha more often. Oumpf.” He added as she hit him.

“I haven’t yet discussed the fact that you keep kissing other women.” She told him folding her arms across herself.

Roman smiled and reached out pulling her in his arms.

“You’ll just have to keep me exhausted in bed so I have no energy for other women.” He told her.

“Too soon for joking.” She hissed at him pulling away from him.

Roman groaned

“El.” He said again.

“Stop using that. You always keep calling me that when you think I’m going to fall apart.” She snapped moving into the kitchen.

“I can’t help it Ella. I do feel that you are fragile right now. I’m scared for us dealing with so much. I also know you Ella Harris and if you keep thinking that being away from us and offering yourself as a target will protect your family you’ll leave us.”

“Five minutes ago you offered to let me go.”

“So that you could get better. Ella I love you with all my heart and I want us to have the kind of life we did when we first got married. With you doing your photography and surfing and trips and coming home to us.” He told her.

“How am I going to do that with four children under 3?” she scoffed.

“We will cope. Be more organised. Get a nanny or au pair.” He told her. “We can do it if that is what you need to do.”

“So we are back to fixing me?” she muttered putting the kettle on to boil.

“Not fixing.” He denied.

“Then what?” she turned and looked at him.

“Letting you have more freedom.” Roman said quickly.

“So I’m trapped?” she sneered.

“Yes.” He answered immediately. “I trapped you with a home and family and a marriage.”

“I could have said no.” she said in response raising her voice slightly.

“I know.” He said quietly. “Just because you wanted it too and you love me doesn’t make it any less of a trap Ella. I saw you surfing the other week you loved it.”

“Maybe I love you more.” Ella pointed out.

“I know you do El. I know that your love for me will keep you here for the next twenty years never complaining about what you are missing out on. And it’s my love for you that wants you to get back out there and spend more time doing all the other stuff you love.” He said quietly taking a step forward and making a pot off coffee. “This is not trying to fix you El if that is going through your head.”

“It did.” She whispered.

“I’m fond of the quick fixes and having everything neat and logical but I also know that with depression you can’t do that. I have to be guided by you. I’m pretty sure that pushing you to get the big showy wedding and then rushing you to get pregnant again hasn’t helped. You were barely over your post natal depression with William.”

Ella sighed looking up at him.

”You think…” she began.

“To be honest I don’t know what to think. I can only be guided by you and what you need right now and getting back to what you were saying at the beginning of this discussion. It can’t be a bad thing for you to find some happiness doing the stuff you used to do. Getting a little independence back.” he murmured pouring out drinks for them. “Being less dependant on me to provide the “good” feelings you need.”

“That’s not exactly…”

“What you meant by co-dependant.” He finished for her. “But do you see what I’m trying to get to here?”

“It ties in.” she said after a moment accepting the cup from him and blowing on the hot liquid.

“I don’t want to push you into doing this though Ella, just think about it please.” He murmured finally.

“Roman how long have you been thinking this stuff?” she asked him eventually.

He took her hand and led her out to the veranda sitting down next to her on one of the bench seats they had casting a glance over at the kids before he turned to her and spoke again.

“I haven’t been plotting if that is what is worrying you. It’s been random thoughts about what I can do to help you.” He said quietly. “Without just striding over your feelings like in my normal fashion and declaring everything alright because I say so.”

“Wow.” Ella said tucking her feet up next to her and looking up at him.

“Impressed?” he asked giving her a grin.

She nodded.

“I am.” She told him.

Roman chuckled, leaning over and kissing her.

“Now then what do we tackle now?” he asked her.

“Jacko.” She said very quietly.

“He’s a very good friend.” Roman murmured. “But it’s time he found himself someone nice to marry.”

“You…” Ella began to ask him a question.

“I believe that my beautiful wife has a very good friend.” He admitted at last.

“You aren’t going to let him know…”

“Ella I’m going to treat him the same way I always have.” He told her.

“Poor Jacko.” Ella said looking at him from under her lashes.

Roman laughed before leaning over and kissing her.

“It’s ok El.” He told her.

“Stop with the El.” She grumbled pushing him away.

“Can’t, it’s a special name for you.” He said looking at her as he sipped at his coffee.

“Along with Ella?” she muttered.

“Yup.” He leaned forward and put his cup on the table before turning to her.

“Sometimes it makes me feel special like you are protecting me and other times it’s like you are expecting me to fall apart so you are treating me like…”

“You can say it.” he said.

“a victim.” She said in a harsh sounding whisper.

“I don’t .” he said softly reaching for her hand. “I don’t think of that, of you being attacked. If it hadn’t been used just after then it wouldn’t make you think that.”

“I don’t agree. You started using that when.” She stopped swallowing before standing and moving away. “When I couldn’t bear you to call me Ella because he did.” She said finally.

“So in your head you associate the two?” he asked and saw her nod. “I’m sorry you feel like that because I really don’t. Yes I use it a lot when I’m concerned about you but I use it because it’s a shortening of Ella. I gave you the name Ella when I fell in love with you all those years ago.”

She sighed, looking over at him and taking a last drink of her coffee before placing the mug on the table too.

“Ella.” He began. “I’m naturally jealous where you are concerned. I can’t help it. I want you so much and you are just so amazing.”

“Nice backhanded compliment.” She muttered glaring at him.

“But the thing is El, you’ve never let anyone else call you Ella.” He continued as though she hadn’t spoken. “Have you?”

She shook her head.

“No it was your name.” She admitted.

“See it’s special just as El is special.” He said softly.

He gave her a smile and stood collecting the cups.

“Now then are we doing ok?” he asked her. “Is there anything else you want to talk about?”

She shook her head.

“How about we feed the kids and then watch a movie.”

“You just want to snuggle on the sofa.” she told him.

“True.” He admitted. “Alternatively we could probably get a dinner reservation and leave the kids to their own thing.”

“We can’t.” she gasped.

“Of course we can. One of the others will be around but Sophie and Georgie are more than capable of keeping an eye on Lily and Liam.” He looked over at her.

“I’d rather snuggle on the sofa.”

Roman nodded and walked into the kitchen. He poured out another cup for himself and turned looking at her when she walked in after him.

“Would you settle on a compromise?” she asked him.

“What do you have in mind?” he asked back. “Coffee?” he offered.

She shook her head to the coffee.

“We have dinner in the study leaving the children looking after each other.”

“Not ready to go out?”

“No.”

“Going to have to leave them at some point.” He told her. “You used to let Mike look after the kids.”

“I know.” She muttered. “Wait, is this an intervention? Are you trying to stop me obsessing over the kids because of the kidnap?” she shot out and saw him smile.

“That sucks Roman Harris. I’ve given Sammy way more freedom lately and had others babysitting him.”

“Ten years later.” He said quietly.

“So why didn’t you…”

Roman walked over to her and placed his hands on her shoulders before cupping her face and tilting her head so that she had to look at him.

“It was not a problem and it made you feel safe.” He told her before kissing her.

“Oh my god have I scared him?” she cried out.

Roman shook his head.

“He became needy when we thought you died. That protective streak you’ve got where he is concerned helped keep him settled. As they grow older I think you’ll do the same as with Georgie and Sophie and have him take care of the little ones.” He said quietly.

“Still.” She muttered biting her lip.

“Ella he’s ok.” he murmured.

He looked into her eyes and then at her full sensuous bottom lip trapped between her teeth and he gave a little moan before kissing her. He sighed as he dragged her lip inbetween his own teeth and biting gently. He heard a moan and it took a minute before he realised that it came from her. He released her lip and continued the kiss deepening it. He invaded her mouth with his tongue tasting coffee and her. He felt her hands touching him almost cautiously before teasing the back of his neck and then stroking down his back.

He took a step closer to her and felt her moving against him. His jean clad leg sliding between hers and he gave a little moan feeling the heat of her body against his. He reached out sliding his hands down her body cupping her rounded bottom in his hands before lifting her up and back on to the kitchen counter. She gasped feeling his strength and then the movement of his legs between hers. His hard sex rubbed against hers and only the fabric of their clothes stopped them from joining. She felt the heat of their passion run through her veins as they continued to kiss and hold each other.

“God.” He gasped tearing his lips away from hers.

“Well.” She whispered shakily. “It hasn’t been like that for a long time.”

“Tell me about it.” he muttered.

He reached out and cupped her face lifting it so he could look into her eyes, secretly entranced by her shyness with him.

“You are beautiful.” He gasped out.

“Roman.” She groaned shaking her head.

“I want you.” He said looking at her kiss-swollen lips.

“I know.” She said, her eyes shooting an unbidden look downwards causing her to blush.

Roman chuckled.

“I think we should finish our discussion in the study.” He said quickly.

She looked at him and nodded laughing as he picked her up off the top and carried her into the other room. He kicked the door shut behind them and laid her carefully on the sofa.

“Very gentle but aren’t you desperate to have me?” she goaded him.

Roman gave a slow moan as he looked at her, red full lips swollen form his kisses, her hair tumbling to tease her shoulders, the white gypsy top she had on slipping off one of those curved shoulders. He knelt beside her and kissed that shoulder his hands pushing up the top to cup her breasts.

“Oh.” He murmured feeling the hard nubs of her nipples pushing against her lace bra.

“You like something?” she asked him.

“Yes.” He told her. “I like you hot.”

He kissed her then his lips hard on hers and felt her hands reaching for the fastening on his jeans. He felt the material loosening as she undid them and then her cool hands touching him.

“Oh god.” He broke away from kissing her long enough to moan at the intense sensations.

Moving one hand down to between her legs he felt the heat of her arousal before breaking away and swearing.

“What?” she asked gasping.

“I was going to make love to you without protection.” He muttered.

Ella giggled and moved to kiss him again before rising gracefully from the sofa. She walked over to her desk and took out a small wooden box.

“Ella Harris?” he groaned out her name.

“No, I bought them last week.” She said quietly. “In case you were thinking I had these all the time and I was just torturing you by making you borrow some.” She opened the box and took out a packet.

“And do you have them stashed all over the house?” he asked her.

Ella looked at him and blushed.

“No just here and in the lounge.” She said quietly her face going even redder when he grinned at her.

“Come here.” He murmured.

She grinned and walked over to him.

“So you like me hot do you?” she asked him.

He nodded his eyes boring into hers.

“This hot?” she asked him straddling him and leaning forward kissing him.

“Give me that damn packet.” He growled out.

She smiled at him before easing back making sure she had his attention before ripping open the packet with her teeth.

“Oh my god.” He moaned.

She slipped off his lap before kneeling down on the floor between his legs. She ran her hands up his thighs before lowering his jeans. He felt the brush of her hands on his sex and moaned low in his throat and then swore under his breath as her mouth enclosed him.

“Ok honey there is hot and there is driving me insane.” He told her.

She eased away from him.

“Just wanted to make sure that you were paying attention.” She whispered.

She took the condom out of the wrapper and sheathed him in a fluid movement.

“Ella.” He called out huskily lifting her up and on to the sofa beside him. He lay her down moving until he was kneeling beside her. He stroked her legs gently moving his hands up her thighs and hooking his fingers in her panties pulling them down.

“Roman.” She moaned feeling the feather light touches of his fingers. He dropped them to the floor and smiled as she reached up and pulled him closer to her.

Moving between her legs he slowly joined his body to hers.

“I love you my wife, my lover, my soul mate.” He told her gently.

“Love you too.” She moaned against his lips kissing him.

“Hungry?” he asked her as she squirmed under him.

“Yes damn you.” She muttered before reaching out and biting his bottom lip the way he’d done to hers earlier.

“Witch.” He groaned.

She wound her arms around his neck her fingers winding in his hair.

“Please.” She whispered.

Roman chuckled before he drove them over the edge.

Archived