Broken

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 21

Roman strode through the hospital corridor. He spotted Miles immediately and saw the look on his face, even then he shook his head in denial.

“Roman I’ve been trying to get hold of you.” Miles burst out with.

“I don’t know where my phone is. It’s bad isn’t it?” he asked.

Miles inclined his head.

“They won’t tell me anything.”

Roman nodded absentmindedly before striding over to the desk in the far corner. Miles heard him speak very calmly and shook his head in wonder at how he could be so in control. He watched as the nurse scurried away and then Roman turned and moved over to sit beside him.

“Well?” Miles asked.

“They will get someone to come talk to us.” Roman told him.

“Roman.” Miles began.

“Mr Harris.” A third voice interrupted them.

Roman stood up and looked at the doctor standing in front of them.

“I’m Roman Harris.” He told him.

“I’m Dr Andrews.” He introduced himself. “Perhaps we could sit down.”

“Just tell me.” Roman muttered.

“Your wife is in theatre. As you are aware her liver was failing due to the strain of the pregnancy.”

Roman listened calmly. He glanced at Miles before looking back at the Doctor.

“This has led to her going into premature labour.” The doctor continued.

Roman inclined his head.

“I’m sorry.”

His head shot up at the softly spoken words.

“Both children were still born.”

“Both of them?” Roman gasped out unable to stop the question and saw the Doctor nod quietly.

“Unfortunately there is more. She began to haemorrhage and we are unable to stop the bleeding.”

Roman groaned.

“What are the options?” he asked.

“We’re looking to operate.”

“A hysterectomy?” Roman asked him. “Do what you have to do.” He stated quickly.

“Your wife has already specified her wishes Mr Harris.” The doctor spoke once more.

Roman looked at him.

“What does that mean? he asked quickly.

“Sir, your wife specified that if we needed to perform the procedure we already had her permission.” He said quietly. “We’ll make sure you are kept informed.”

The doctor turned and moved back the way he came leaving Roman to stagger back to sit back in the chair.

“I’m sorry.” Miles told him.

“Both of them.” Roman muttered rubbing his hand over his face. “Ella is going to hate me.”

Miles looked puzzled at him.

“Roman.” He murmured.

“We argued earlier.” Roman said bitterly. “I shouldn’t have.”

“Roman I’m pretty sure that a simple argument couldn’t have caused this.” Miles told his friend.

“Roman.” Aden called walking over to them. “I just heard Ella was brought in.”

“Did you know?” Roman asked him standing up.

Every muscle in his body tensed as he faced the younger man.

“Know what?” Aden prevaricated. “If it’s medical you know that I can’t betray a patients confidentiality.”

“So you did know?” Roman growled out.

“Roman.” Aden protested.

“You knew that my wife was putting her life on the line to have those babies and you said nothing.” Roman shouted.

“Keep your voice down.” Miles told him putting his hand on Roman’s arm.

Roman shook him off and took a step towards Aden.

“You knew and you did nothing.” Roman snarled.

Aden looked at him and shook his head.

“Yes I knew and I begged her to tell you. Rachel knew and she begged Ella. You want to be mad at someone then speak to Ella. She’s very good at secrets.”

He gave Roman a last look before turning around and stalking away.

“Well that was interesting.” Miles commented.

“Oh God.” Roman groaned.

Miles took one look at the other man and steered him back to his seat just before he collapsed into it.

“Ella has been through just as much and come back to you Roman. You’ll get through this.”

“How could she lie to me? How could she hold my hand and promise me everything was alright?” Roman asked angrily shaking his head as he tried to come to terms with it.

Miles looked at him and sat next to his friend.

“Because she is Ella. You would have worried yourself sick and she felt that she had to give those babies the best chance she could.” He told him quietly.

Roman shot him a look of disgust before he stood and began pacing.

“Roman what is it?” Miles asked him.

“She put those babies ahead of us, ahead of her family. Well I hope she’s happy now because now she has nothing.”

He turned and stalked away leaving Miles looked gob-smacked at the angry words.

Roman made his way through the hospital. He knew where he was heading and let himself into the hospital chapel. Easing down into a seat he faced the altar and lowered his head.

“Please God take care of our little ones.” He whispered quietly. “And I know how amazing she is but don’t take her yet we need her too.”

He raised his head and looked at the cross on the altar and sighed, tears clogging his throat.

“I know I should be punished for some of the things I’ve done and maybe I deserve to be unhappy but you can’t be that mean to take her away from our wonderful children.”

He wiped at his eyes and lowered his head once more lost in his thoughts.

“I thought you might be here.” Aden said quietly stepping into the chapel.

“I’m sorry.” Roman apologised to him.

“No you had a point. I should have tried harder to tell you.” Aden sighed as he sank into a seat next to him.

“No Ella didn’t want me to know. She knew I’d insist on her …” Roman stopped and looked up.

“She’s fine.” Miles said walking into the chapel. “I didn’t have you down for a church goer.”

Roman looked at his friend.

“Religion is the last refuge of the desperate.” Roman shrugged. “Or something like that. How do I tell her that we’ve lost the babies?” he asked his voice breaking.

“You’ll find the words Roman.” Miles said slowly. “The important thing is she’s come through it.”

“She’ll disagree with you.”

The three men lapsed into silence for a moment.

“Belle chucked me out.” Aden found himself saying.

“What?” Roman exclaimed.

“Nic came over and was asking me …” he stopped and cast a look at Roman. “About my over concern for Ella.”

“And it was because of her medical condition right?” Roman asked his voice calm.

Aden nodded.

“I didn’t quite say that though.” He muttered blushing.

“Oh this is going to be good.” Miles said and earned a glare from the two men.

“I said that it was because I was in love with Ella.”

Roman looked at him.

“Just as Belle walked in.” he continued.

“Oh my god.” Miles exclaimed.

“See you say anything you don’t want others to know and someone is always there.” Roman said to Aden.

“Which is fine when it comes to embarrassing you but what am I going to do to fix this?” Aden buried his face in his hands.

“How am I going to convince Ella that even if I’m the father of that boy I still didn’t sleep with Martha.”

Miles looked over at them.

“Well how did you get her pregnant?” he asked. “And Aden, couldn’t you think of anything else?”

The two men turned to Miles and glared at him.

“Give Belle some time to calm down. You know that when she’s in a temper you can’t talk to her. Then sit down and talk to her.”

“You think that if I leave her she’ll calm down this side of the next century. You know that…”

“Yeah, I know that you kissed my wife. I got that. But you don’t love her or is there something you want to confess to me when I feel in the need to punch someone?”

Aden swallowed and looked at the other man.

“I’ll give it a go.” He said after a moment.

“Great. All sorted.” Roman muttered and stood up he shot another look at the altar and mouthed the words ‘thank you’ before leaving the chapel.

“Now how did he get Martha pregnant?” Miles asked. “Because I’m pretty sure she had to use IVF the last time.”

Aden shot a glance at Miles before nodding.

“I don’t think it’s going to matter that much for a while.” He said slowly.

Roman found Ella’s room and moved inside quietly. She lay on the pillows looking pale and so still that he gasped. She turned her head at the sound and looked at him.

“Out.” she whispered.

“Ella.” He said her name desperately.

“No, I don’t want you.” She whispered once more.

He moved over to the bed and eased down beside her being so careful not to nudge her.

“I know Ella. But we need each other to get through this. Are you going to make me grieve alone?”

She looked at him and tears fell from her eyes.

He made no move to hold her despite the urge to gather her in his arms and hold her safe against his heart for a couple of hundred years or so.

“Have they said if we can see them?” he asked after a moment and watched helplessly as she sobbed.

“I can’t.” she whispered.

Roman nodded and eased up from the bed moving out of the room. He was back within a few minutes. He eased back down on the bed and looked at her.

“They are going to bring them in.” he said quietly.

“No!” she gasped out trying to sit up from the bed.

Roman moved catching her and pressing her ever so gently back on the pillows.

He pressed the button and let the bed rise behind her so that she was tilted up. He lifted a tissue from the box on the bedside cabinet and wiped at her eyes.

“El.” He said quietly.

“I can’t do it.” she told him her voice louder.

“You risked so much to have them.” he said.

“You know?” she gasped out.

Roman nodded.

“Yes and when you are stronger we will be having a discussion Ella Harris.” He warned her. “But now you need to say goodbye.” He gave her a deep look before correcting himself. “We need to say goodbye.” He amended.

Ella nodded slowly just as the door opened and the two cribs were wheeled in.

“I can’t believe we lost both of them.” she whispered looking at the two babies.

Roman moved over and leaned down. He picked up the first small bundle and brought it over to her.

She held out her arms and took the baby from him.

“She’s so tiny.” Ella exclaimed tears falling down her face. “Oh God Roman, how am I going to get through this?”

“By clinging to me and letting us help you.” He told her sitting on the bed with the other small bundle in his arms. “Because I need you to help me too.”

She shook her head and looked once more at her baby before looking at the pink wrapped bundle in his arms.

“I can’t.” she whispered.

“Yes.” He told her knowing exactly what she was feeling in that moment, “Goodbye.” He said slowly, leaning down and kissing the baby he held. ”I wish that we had got the chance to know you and your sister.”

Ella shivered before looking at the baby she was cradling carefully in her arms.

“Take her.” she begged.

Roman looked at his wife and gave a small nod before standing and taking the second baby from her. He looked down at them before placing both of them back in their cribs. He nodded to the nurses and they were taken away out of the room.

“Ella.” He said quietly walking back over to the bed.

“No. Leave. I can’t. “ She told him turning her face away from him.

He gave her a last look before easing out of the room He didn’t go far pulling up a chair outside her room. He sat and waited.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 22

Roman turned and watched as the black car pulled up beside the cemetery. He continued to watch as the driver got out and opened the back door and Ella climbed out. She stood and looked over at him before walking slowly towards him. He took in at once that she’d cut her hair short and knew it wasn’t just the effect of the black clothes she wore that made her look slimmer. He heard the children murmur behind him and he heard Sammy give a quick sob.

“Easy Sammy.” he said quietly. “Don’t crowd Mummy.”

He heard his son give a suspicious sniff and he wanted to curse but instead he greeted his wife. A wife that he hadn’t seen for two weeks since she had disappeared out of the hospital and taken herself to the studio.

“Ella.” He said quietly.

She looked at him and took a step forward putting her hand in his. He felt her cool fingers within his grip and immediately sighed.

“Hello.” She said softly.

He nodded and turned leading her to the graveside, the children following. They joined up with Nic and Geoff with their children and also Danni and Mike. Aden was to one side with Belle. Brett and Amy-Belle stood nearby. He even caught sight of Gabby in the distance trying to not intrude but be supportive and he acknowledged her presence with a nod.

Ella looked down on the two small graves near her other baby Francesca and bit her lip not to sob once more. She didn’t hear the prayer that Geoff uttered, nor the rest of the service her fog of misery too deep to be penetrated by the comforting words. Finally the coffins were lowered and she heard the others move away. She felt the warmth of Roman’s hand around hers and she wanted to turn to him but the guilt and grief kept her separate.

“You chose beautiful names.” He said finally.

She looked up at him and blinked.

“They deserved them.” she said her voice husky.

“Fleur and August Harris. August?” he repeated.

Ella nodded finally.

“The month we met.” He guessed.

She nodded again.

“Something special.” He confirmed. “And Fleur?”

“Because you gave me a flower.” Ella whispered. “A beautiful little flower.”

Roman nodded before taking Ella into his arms and holding her feeling himself shake let alone his beautiful wife.

“We should go see the children.” She told him after a time. “I should let them know that this isn’t their fault I’m just really sad.”

Roman nodded unable to speak.

“Thank you for taking care of them. I know that disappearing like I did must have scared you.” She told him.

“Ella will you come home?” he asked her.

She shook her head.

“Not yet.” She told him. “Not quite yet.”

He sighed before turning and walking away with her finding strength in the way she was still holding his hand.

“The house looks good.” Ella murmured stepping through into the kitchen to stand next to him.

“Thank your daughter for that.” He said softly.

“Sophie?” she asked.

Roman nodded.

“She’s been looking after the little ones too.” He told her and then stilled at the mention of their other babies.

Ella stepped forward and placed her hand in his back. She heard him sigh and smiled briefly before turning as the children poured in through the door.

“Mummy.” Sammy shouted out and ran over to her.

“Hello babes.” Ella murmured easing down and hugging him. “Love you so much.” She added in a whisper.

“Are you home?” he asked quickly biting his lip.

“Just for a couple of days. But I’m only at the studio.” She told him and pretended not to notice Roman smile at her pronouncement.

“Mum.” Sophie called out.

Ella took hold of Sammy’s hand and walked through to the lounge. She sat on the sofa and patted the seat next to her hugging each of the children in turn before they sat down.

“I’m sorry.” She told them. “But I’ve been really sad so I went away for a few days.”

“So you haven’t left Daddy?” Sophie blurted out.

Ella shook her head.

“No, that’s not to say your Daddy and I don’t need to sit down and talk but I promise you I still love him very much. I love you all.”

Roman heard her speak from the kitchen where he was getting drinks and he smiled despite the sadness going through him.

“Gabby was there today.” Sophie said quietly.

“I know. The day.” Ella stopped and swallowed. “I went round to see her the day.” She stopped again unable to finish the sentence.

“Really?” Sophie asked into the sudden silence. “So you are ok with her? Really?”

Ella smiled at her daughter and placed her hand on Sophie’s face. She tilted her daughter’s head up and looked into her bright blue eyes.

“There is nothing that my daughters can do or say that will stop me loving them. I may get upset but I will always love them.”

Sophie nodded before leaning up and kissing Ella on her cheek before she stood up and moved over to collect her phone. They watched as Sophie dialled before she went out of the room.

“Have you guys eaten?” Ella asked them.

Sammy shook his head and received a glare from Meggy.

“No.” he said looking at his sister defiantly.

“Did I hear food being mentioned?” Roman asked.

Ella nodded and eased up slowly from the sofa. He watched with concern as she held her side before walking over to him.

“I think they are scared of upsetting me.” She told him quietly and looked over at Meggy who gave her an innocent look.

He nodded.

“So they won’t want anything to eat and we can sent them straight to bed?” he asked her.

Ella nodded.

“No!” Meggy exclaimed.

Roman grinned.

“What would you like to eat?” he asked looking at Ella.

“I don’t know.” She told him. “Kids do you want to put on a film to watch?”

Meggy looked at her and gasped.

“Its ok Meggy just because I’m sad you don’t have to be.” Ella said softly.

Roman reached out and felt Ella place her hand immediately into his firm grip. He squeezed her hand and felt her squeeze his hand in return. He bit back another sigh and then sighed when he saw Ella give him a look.

Sammy moved over to the cabinet and took out a film going over and putting it on. Georgie groaned.

“Really? Garfield?” he asked.

Meggy glared at him.

“What’s wrong with it?” she demanded. “It reminds me of Cookie.” She said and gasped looking over at her Mum.

“More like your Daddy’s cat.” Ella said to her. “He’s ginger.”

She turned and walked into the kitchen knowing that Roman was right behind her.

“El.” He said.

“Where are Lily and Liam?” she asked in a brittle voice.

“Over with Mike and Danni.” He murmured gesturing with his head towards the pool house.

Ella gave him a quick smile.

“So what are you going to feed me?” she asked him changing the subject.

“What do you want?” he asked in a neutral tone.

Ella stepped over to the fridge and opened it. She saw all her favourite foods in there and looked over at him.

“In case you weren’t eating.” He confessed. “I wanted to have something to tempt you.”

“Now there is a leading statement.” She said.

He did a double take before sighing feeling some of the tension leaving him.

“I’m your wife Roman.” She said quietly. “I’m still your wife.”

“Then stay.” He replied simply.

“I can’t.” she muttered defensively and saw the hurt look on his face. She stepped closer to him and took hold of his hand again her finger rubbing the platinum of his wedding ring absentmindedly.

“How long do you need?” he asked looking at her pale face, seeing her tied back hair and the smattering of freckles on her nose. He looked at her rosebud lips and resisted the urge to kiss her.

“I don’t know.” She whispered. “But thank you for letting me …” she trailed off as the door opened and Lily ran in followed by Mike.

“Sorry she got away from me.” He murmured.

Ella looked down on her little girl and shook her head. She stepped back.

“Mama.” Lily cried out in her sweet voice.

Roman swore as he felt a tremor go through his wife.

“Get her away from me.” Ella cried out.

“Mama.” Lily said again.

She dodged round both Roman and Mike in her desire to get to her mother thinking that this was a new game. She looked up at them and giggled not noticing Ella backing away.

“Mama.” Lily said once more.

Ella shook her head lifting a shaking hand she pressed it against her throat breathing compulsively, sucking in breath after breath trying to control the flood of emotion going through her.

“No.” she whispered.

Lily reached out and caught hold of her skirt wanting to be picked up.

“Up?” she asked looking puzzled.

“Get away from me.” Ella screamed at her daughter before she fell down in a dead faint.

Mike paled and reached for Lily just as she started to cry at the same time Roman picked up the limp form of his wife. He carried her up the stairs ignoring the panicked looks on his children’s faces.

Chapter 23

Jacob eased into the apartment quietly. He saw Gabby immediately, curled up asleep on the sofa a throw tucked around her and his heart leapt into his throat once more at the sight of his beautiful wife. He moved over to her side and carefully lifted her into his arms. She was still so slender even with the baby and he sighed, especially thinking about where she had been today.

“You came home.” She whispered waking up.

Jacob frowned.

“Of course.” He told her.

“Sometimes I think you are just going to leave.” She said her lips close to the side of his neck. He remembered then how much he liked her to kiss him there, so intimate and special and he almost groaned aloud. Carrying her through to the bedroom her laid her on the bed.

“Don’t go.” She told him her hand clutching him to her. “Not tonight.”

He did groan then knowing that he couldn’t resist the appeal in her voice.

“You just have to hold me I won’t expect anything else.” She bargained and he swore at what she was putting up with from him.

“Gabby I love you.” He said before he could stop himself.

“I don’t understand.” She said waking up fully and looking at him. “How could you love me and hurt my family?”

He paced to the end of the room closing the curtains at the window before turning and looking at her.

“I can’t tell you.” He muttered. “And it’s killing me not to tell you. I want to tell you.”

Gabby gave him a look before she opened her arms.

“You still want me?” he asked in shock.

She nodded.

“But I did it. I hurt Sophie.” he whispered.

“Why?” Gabby murmured.

“She was available.” Jacob said in a brittle tone of voice.

“Did she remind you of me?” Gabby said slowly.

“Yes.” Jacob said then, “No.”

Gabby inclined her head for a moment before looking at him.

“Sophie wants to see me.” She told him. “But if you have a thing for her then it’s best I tell her no. In fact we should move away. A long way away.”

Jacob groaned and moved over to sit on the bed beside his pregnant wife.

“Gabby.” He began.

“Come to bed it’s late and I’m tired.” She said slowly.

He looked at her and stood up moving out of the bedroom and over to the sofa. Within minutes he’d made his bed on the hard uncomfortable sofa feeling the lumps and bumps as he tried to get into a position where it was tolerable. The growing darkness lay over him like a blanket and he thought about what Ella and Roman were going through right then. Losing their children and then the threat of losing Gabby and he groaned once more before taking out his phone and dialling.

“It’s late what do you have to tell me?” the menacing voice came through the phone’s speaker.

“I’m done. I’m not going to do your dirty work anymore.” Jacob muttered bitterly.

“I can still go to the police.”

“Do what you like.” Jacob snapped out. “But from now you are never speaking to me again.”

“Do you really want those nice people in Summer Bay to realise that they are harbouring a killer?”

Jacob bit back an angry denial.

“It was an accident.” he said instead his voice calm.

“It was an accident that your mother died in the car you were driving?” he was asked. “Now I want them to pay. They deserve everything they are going to get.”

“No because I’m going to tell them about you.” Jacob said and shook his head at the position he’d just put himself in and not just him but also a vulnerable pregnant Gabby.

“You tell them and you can say goodbye to your wife, permanently.”

Jacob looked at his phone and watched as the light went out as the call disconnected. He shook his head once more before he dialled the next number.

“What the hell do you want?” Mike asked.

Jacob stood up from the sofa and went over to the door checking the locks.

“I need you to come get Gabby. Right now.” He told the other man. “I think she might be in danger.”

“Jacob I can’t. You don’t know what’s happening here. My mother collapsed tonight.” Mike told him frowning at himself for sharing that detail.

“Mike please. I think someone is going to come after her.” Jacob begged.

“Who?” Mike shot back.

“He called himself Gardener.”

“Gardy? He’s dead.” Mike said feeling sick.

“Who is he Mike because I’m scared stupid that he’s going to get Gabby right now and I can’t do a thing to protect her.”

“I’m on my way.” Mike told him. “Lock the doors.”

Jacob ended the call and walked through into the bedroom.

“Gabby get dressed. Jeans and trainers. Mike is coming for you, ok.” he told her.

She gave him a look before nodding.

“Are you going tot ell me what is wrong?” she asked him.

“I’ll explain everything just please get dressed and stay away from the windows.”

Her eyes went wide at his last statement and she swallowed compulsively before following his instructions.

“You know my mother died.” He began.

Gabby nodded.

“Well I was driving the night of the accident. I didn’t have a licence or even learner plates on the car. Chris helped cover it up but somehow this man, Gardy found out and he’s been blackmailing me.” Jacob told her his voice sound defeated.

Gabby went still and looked over at him.

“Gardy?” she asked him.

Jacob shrugged.

“That’s what Mike called him just now. I only know him as Gardener.”

“He kidnapped my mother. I though he was dead.” She told him.

Jacob shook his head.

“He can’t be.”

She looked at him.

“He has to be because my father shot him.” she said quietly.

Chapter 24

Ella woke up and looked around puzzled. Although in semi darkness this wasn’t the studio or her and Roman’s bedroom. It took a couple of minutes to realise she had been placed in Gabby’s old room and she gave a small smile. She eased off the bed and moved on stocking feet down the hallway, stopping outside the nursery. She saw Lily asleep in her bed with Fudge and Biscuits curled up at her feet.

“Mama.” Lily said sleepily.

“Hey little girl Mama didn’t mean to wake you.” Ella told her softly.

“Mama sad?” she asked.

“Mama is very sad but it’s not Lily girls fault so Mama is sorry she shouted.”

”Mama need hugs?” Lily said after a moment.

Ella smiled and wiped at her eyes.

“Yes my Lily girl Mama needs a hug.”

Lily moved over in the bed and patted the bed beside her. Ella nodded and climbed in next to her curling her legs so she could fit. Lily launched herself into Ella’s arms and wrapped her own around her mothers neck.

Ella put her arms around Lily and inhaled her little girls sweet scent. She thought of her two lost babies and the tears that she was struggling to hold back trickled down her face.

“Mama no cry.” Lily told her.

“Sorry Lily girl.” Ella whispered wiping at her face.

“Lily look after Liam for Mama.”

“Oh Lily I know. You are so special little girl.” Ella whispered once more.

“Lily look after other babies too.” Lilly said slowly.

“Thank you Lily.” Ella choked out. “But Mama’s other babies are in heaven.”

“Why?” Lily asked frowning.

Ella bit her lip to stop the cry of pain that was threatening to erupt from her.

“Because they were born too soon.” Ella explained.

“Oh.” Lily said softly.

“Now my Lily girl needs naps.” Ella said after a while.

“Mama naps?” she asked.

“Of course Mama naps.” Ella said and gave a small laugh. “Mama always naps.”

Lily giggled.

“Love you Mama.” Lily said with a yawn.

“Love you too Lily girl.” Ella whispered easing out of the bed and pulling up the covers over her. She leaned down and kissed her before walking over to William’s cot. She smiled briefly pulling up his covers and then gave a grin as he kicked them straight off.

“That so little man?” she said quietly.

She bent down and kissed the top of his head before turning around and easing out of the nursery. She turned and moved into her bedroom.

Roman smiled over at her and lifted the covers.

“Baby monitor?” she murmured.

He nodded.

She shook her head before climbing into bed next to him. He immediately put his arms around her and held her.

“Its good to have you home.” He told her quietly.

“Sorry.” She whispered.

“It’s ok I just wish that we could have been together.” He told her.

Ella sighed before reached up and touching his face.

“I couldn’t. I’m sorry.”

Roman nodded before pressing a kiss to the palm of her hand.

“I love you.” She told him looking into his eyes. “I’m sorry I didn’t talk to you.”

“Ella don’t do this now. I just want to hold you, ok.” he muttered.

She sighed before leaning her head on his shoulder and closing her eyes.

“Love you too wife.” He told her closing his eyes. He would never let on to anyone how scared he’d been thinking that she would never be in his arms again let alone still love him.

Mike knocked on the door to Gabby’s apartment. He waited a few moments before knocking again.

“Its Mike.” he called out.

He heard the locks open before the door swung inwards and Jacob looked though the gap.

“Open up.” Mike said stepping through the gap.

Jacob stood back and let Mike into the apartment.

“Mike.” Gabby called out. “I don’t understand any of this.”

“I’m pretty clueless too.” He told her in response. “First things first. Got your stuff?”

Gabby nodded.

“Take care of her.” Jacob told him.

“No chance, that’s your job.” Mike shot back. “You’re coming too.”

“I can’t.” Jacob said immediately.

“Sorry.” Mike told him. “But if this is Gardy he will do anything. We need you where we can keep an eye on you.”

Jacob looked over at Gabby and saw her biting her lip. He nodded and moved back into the bedroom grabbing a bag and throwing some things into it. He walked back into the lounge and to the door just seconds later picking up Gabby’s bag too. They followed Mike out to his car with Gabby climbing in the front. Only when he saw Mike climb into the car did Jacob notice the gun nestling in the small of Mike’s back. He bit back what he was going to say and kept quiet. The last thing that Gabby needed to hear was that Mike was expecting the worst.

“What’s that?” Ella asked sleepily.

“I don’t know. Someone is down stairs.” Roman said instantly away. “Stay here.” He told her kissing the end of her nose as he moved out of the bed and made his way down stairs.

“Dad.” Mike called out from near the front door.

Roman noticed that the other man was activating the alarm and frowned, He saw the other man stretch up and caught sight of the gun placed in his waistband.

“This better be good.” Roman muttered turning and seeing Jacob and Gabby sitting on the sofa.

Jacob stood and faced the other man. He felt Gabby looking at him and he coughed nervously.

“I’m going to get back to Danni and warn Granddad.” Mike announced.

Roman watched him go before looking at Jacob.

“My mother died in a car accident.” he began the explanation. “I was driving. I didn’t have a licence or even learners plates on the car. Chris came over and covered it up.”

Roman inclined his head briefly.

“Somehow this man found out and blackmailed me into doing stuff to break up the family.”

“So why did you pick on Sophie?” Roman asked carefully, his arms folded across his chest.

“He told me to.” Jacob said simply. “He told me what to do. I kept putting it off but he threatened to go to the police.”

“Ok. Who was it?” Roman asked him.

“He called himself Gardener.” Jacob said slowly.

Roman paled and looked at the younger man.

“No. It can’t be he’s dead.” He stated.

“That’s what they told me but that is what he called himself. Gardener.”

“Gardy?” Ella asked from the doorway.

“El.” Roman immediately said.

“Its not possible.” She gasped out.

“Mum.” Gabby said springing up from the sofa and stepping towards her.

“No.” Ella said. “Keep away from me.”

She turned ignoring the look of pain on Gabby’s face and went out of the room,. They heard her move up the stairs.

“Give her a moment.” Roman told his daughter. “You better bed down in the study. We’ll talk more in the morning.”

“Roman.” Jacob said quickly.

“What do you want to know Jacob? How Gardy stalked Ella and then kidnapped her? How he kept her in a dark room and raped her at knifepoint? And then broke out of prison and came after us again until we shot him?” Roman said bitterly his hand unconsciously touching the scar on his side where he’d been shot.

“I’m sorry that I let this happen.” Jacob burst out with.

“The only thing you are responsible for is hurting my little girl. If she forgives you then we can move forward.” Roman told him before turning away and heading up the stairs.

“Roman hasn’t even told us half of it has he?” Jacob asked Gabby.

“I don’t know I only found out about what happened last year.” She murmured. “Why did you marry me?”

“Gabby.” He groaned turning and looking at her. “Because you are having my baby and I was scared stupid that you’d cut me out.”

“So not because you love us?” she asked.

Jacob paled and stepped back.

“That doesn’t matter.” He told her.

“Why?” she murmured.

“Because I can’t expect you to ever return my feelings after what I’ve done.” He whispered.

Gabby nodded.

“Well its late. We should go to bed.” She said after a few minutes silence stretched between them.

Jacob moved through the door and walked into the study. He sighed looking at the sofa before pulling it open to make the double bed. Turning he saw Gabby standing next to him with a pile of pillows and other covers.

They made the bed silently before Gabby kicked off her shoes and climbed inside leaving Jacob to switch off the light and get in beside her.

Chapter 25

“You can’t go back to the studio.” Roman bit out.

“Yes I can.” Ella snapped and moved restlessly away from him.

“Ella, Gardy is out there. I need you safe.”

Ella turned and looked at him.

“Gardy is dead.” She said angrily. “Whoever that is it isn’t Gardy. I’m grieving. I can’t stay here.”

“Ella.” Roman snapped out. “We are all grieving. And most of all we are missing you.”

She pulled away from the hand he stretched out towards her and flinched at the look on his face.

“I’m going and there is nothing you can do to stop me.” She muttered walking away from him.

“You go, then don’t bother coming back.” he shouted before he could stop himself. He knew that was the last thing he wanted that holding her the past couple of nights had been as close to bliss as he could ever come.

Ella turned and looked at him before walking to the door and out of it. She closed it quietly leaving him standing there staring at the closed wooden door. He waited looking at it stupidly expected the door to open and when it dawned on him that he hadn’t heard her car start he moved over to the door his hand turning the handle. He pushed it open and saw her there, sitting on a one of the white painted cane chairs on the veranda.

“Don’t give me ultimatums Harris.” She told him.

He moved to sit next to her.

“So you forget your keys or something?” he asked back.

“It’s my house. You should be the one to leave.” Ella snapped out.

Roman folded his arms across his chest and looked at her.

“Fine I’ll go.” He said quietly.

“Go on then.” She murmured.

He grinned unable to stop himself.

“Come here.” He told her.

Ella shook her head but stood up and moved over to him. She sat daintily on his lap and felt his arms go around her immediately.

“Please don’t go to the studio. Until we know who we are dealing with I would like you to stay here.”

“You might not be able to protect me.” Ella whispered leaning her head on his.

“Oh God El I know that but I’ll die before I let anyone take you again.” He said passionately.

He shuddered as he remembered the times she had been taken away from him and gave a small moan under his breath.

“The kids are at school. Lily and William are with Mira at Nic’s.” Ella told him.

Roman gave a small grin.

“Are you suggesting something Mrs Harris?” he asked.

“I’m suggesting that you take me upstairs and hold me for a while.” She whispered kissing behind his ear.

“Just holding you?” he asked. “Because you do seem to be starting something there.”

Ella eased back and looked at him.

“I can’t.” she said biting her lip.

“El.” He murmured. “Are you ok?”

“You mean physically?” she nodded. “Everything in working order.” She told him in bitter tone of voice.

“El.” He said again. “Please talk to me. I’m your husband.”

She shook her head before burying her face in his neck.

“Love you Ella Harris, my sexy wife.” He said after a few moments.

She eased away from him and stood up moving to the end of the veranda.

“I hope you aren’t thinking something silly like just because you had to have a hysterectomy it makes you less of a woman.”

“You won’t understand.” Ella said that brittle tone back once more.

“No I won’t.” he agreed with her. “All I understand is that my wife was bleeding to death and they performed a medical operation to stop that. I’m sorry that means she’s unhappy but seriously I’m glad that she’s still here to be unhappy.”

Ella turned and looked at him before shaking her head and moving into the house.

Roman groaned before he followed finding her in the kitchen.

“Want to tell me or should I just guess?” he asked.

“Leave it.” Ella snapped.

“It’s because it means you can’t have another baby.” He told her.

She spun around and looked at him.

“I don’t want another baby. You think I want to go through this again? Carrying them for months going through hell, only to lose them?”

Roman nodded.

“Yes I do.” He said quietly. “I think that there is a big hole inside you right now and you’d even risk another pregnancy to ease some of the hurt.”

Ella glared at him before running past him and out the front door. He flinched as it slammed this time.

He waited a few minutes before he followed her. Once more she had made ti only as far as the veranda.

“El.” He said quietly. “I didn’t mean to make you cry.”

“We lost our babies.” She sobbed.

Roman groaned and moved quickly over to her, he picked her up in his arms and carried back through the front door. Struggling past the stair gate he carried her up the stairs to their bedroom laying her gently on the bed. She turned away from him burying her face into the pillow as her sobs continued. He waited a heartbeat before leaving her and moving away.

Pete looked over at Jacko from his position in the driving seat and sighed.

“What was that for?” Jacko asked.

“Just wondering if you are going to keep it together this time?” he asked his old comrade.

“I don’t know what you mean.” Jacko denied.

“Don’t know what I mean?” Pete scoffed and looked in the rear-view mirror glancing at James in the back seat.

“You have a thing for Ella is what he means.” James said slowly.

“She’s a friend.” Jacko claimed shooting a glance at the both of them.

“Perhaps in an alternate universe.” James shot back.

Pete nodded and waited until he had overtaken the car in front before he spoke.

“You lost it at the wedding. When she danced with you we all saw it Jacko old mate.”

Jacko shook his head.

“She’s married to Roman. She’s been a friend to all of us for years.” He said quickly.

“We were there when she told us she was going to find him. We saw the expression on your face.” Pete shot back.

“There was no expression.” Jacko said wincing. “She’s Roman’s always has been always will be.”

“I’m sure Ella would love this discussion.” James told them from the back seat.

“Not half as much as Roman.” Pete said with another sly look at Jacko.

“You don’t have to worry. I don’t have feelings for her. Aside from those that we all have for a mates wife.”

“Is that the way you want to play it?” Pete asked slowly.

“Listen up, Ella is Roman’s wife. Yeah, she’s pretty special but I don’t have feelings for her. “ Jacko muttered.

“He denied it again.” James said to Pete. “Should we start believing him?”

“I guess we better.” Pete responded. “Not like he’s going to admit to us that he’s in love with her and she’s the reason he’s never settled down.”

Jacko glared at them both before looking out of the passenger side window.

Pete and James exchanged another look in the rear view mirror.

Roman sipped his coffee looking out on the back garden. He knew without turning his head that she was there.

“You didn’t hold me.” She murmured.

“I didn’t want my eyes scratched out.” Roman responded.

“I’m sorry.” She whispered.

“Ella I’m hurting too. I didn’t even get a say in what you called them. I didn’t do any of the arrangements. I didn’t get to hold my wife until yesterday. Everything is about you.”

Ella gasped and looked at him.

“I rang you and said that I was making the arrangements.” She murmured. “You never called me back.”

“If you were that interested in speaking to me you would have found out I lost my phone the day you got taken into hospital.” He told her. “But no, all I get are second hand messages from the kids telling me that my wife is staying at her studio. Only she never says how long she’s staying or if it’s some kind of euphemism for the fact that she’s left me.”

Ella looked at him and paled.

“I never realised how bad we were.” She whispered.

“Yeah well neither did I Ella, but well you hid things from me. You keep leaving. And no matter what I say about Martha you throw back at me.” He told her.

She took a step back before turning and walking away.

“Oh you’re so good at that Ella. Whenever the going gets tough you run away.” Roman snapped out.

She spun around at that and looked at him before rushing back over to him. He flinched when he felt her first slap across his face.

“I hate you.” She shouted hitting him again.

“You’re good at this too.” He sneered. “The anger. You must get this side of your personality from your mother.”

She roared with indignation before pulling away from him. Yanking at her wedding ring she threw it into the grass and spun around going into the house. He heard the bedroom door slam and groaned.

Chapter 26

Roman watched Ella warily. She was waiting at the school gates with him but aside from three words they hadn’t said anything to each other since the argument that morning.

“Mummy.” Sammy called out moving towards them.

“Hey Samson.” Ella said softly.

“This is my friend can he come home for tea?” Sammy asked.

Ella looked past her son to the little boy behind him.

“Not tonight Sammy. Jacko is coming.”

Sammy pouted first then smiled at the mention of Jacko.

“Who’s Jacko?” the little boy asked quickly.

“He’s like an Uncle, Marcus.” Sammy explained.

“Wait, Marcus?” Ella said softly. “Is your mother called Martha?”

Marcus nodded slowly.

“They just moved here and Marcus doesn’t have any friends.” Sammy chattered. “So please can he come for tea.”

Ella took a step back.

“Of course he can.” Roman said ignoring the look on Ella’s face.

Sammy grinned and opened the door letting Marcus climb in first.

“Why did you do that?” Ella hissed at Roman glancing at the little boy sitting with her son.

“Because Sammy asked.” Roman murmured.

Ella glared at him and stepped away from his side.

“Mummy.” Meggy called running over to them.

“Hey.” Ella greeted her.

“Oh cool Marcus is coming.” Meggy said looking in the car.

“In the car please Meggy.” Ella said coolly.

Meggy gave her a look before getting into the car sitting the other side of Marcus.

“Ella.” Roman murmured.

She gave him a look before folding her arms across herself.

“Mum.” Sophie called out. “Is it true that Jacob stayed last night?” she asked coming over to them. “Georgie said so.”

Ella nodded.

“We’re going to sit down and have a talk later. It’s going to be ok Sophie, promise.” Ella said to her daughter.

Sophie gave her a worried look.

“Is Gabby ok? It’s nothing to do with the baby?” she asked quickly.

“Ah Bless my special daughter. No the baby is fine. Daddy and I are going to sit down and explain later on tonight ok. Jacob is going to stay in the pool house so you don’t have to see him.” Ella told her softly hugging her daughter.

Sophie nodded and climbed into the car. Ella was forced to watch as her daughter greeted Marcus and they began chattering in the back of the car.

“Why is Georgie always last?” Roman said after a minute.

Ella looked at him but said nothing.

“Ok, why is it ok for you to give me the silent treatment but when someone does it back you don’t like it?” he asked moving closer to her.

“I’m not giving you the silent treatment. I just have nothing to say to you.” Ella replied stung.

“You have nothing to say to me?” Roman scoffed. “Not even your usual refrain of ‘I wanna divorce’?” he asked.

Ella spun around and looked at him.

“Why are you baiting me? You want to have an argument in front of them?”

“Maybe I want an honest reaction?” he muttered.

“Honest? You want it honest?” she sneered at him keeping her voice low. “Then how about this for honest. I’m disgusted that I’ve been in love with you all these years. I hate myself for allowing our foetid relationship to last this long. And I look at our beautiful children and I pity that they have you for a father.”

Roman looked at her and laughed.

“So you do want a divorce?” he asked when he sobered.

Ella shook her head.

“No I’m not planning on divorce. I’m going to do much worse to you.” She promised.

“Sorry.” Georgie gasped out running over to them.

He was still wearing his sports kit with his school uniform screwed up in a ball under his arm with his bag trailing form his other arm.

“Get in the car.” Roman told him.

Georgie looked over in the back and grinned.

“Cool Marcus is coming home.” He stated as he climbed in the back

Roman looked over at Ella and gave her a smile.

“Outnumbered.” He told her.

She climbed into the passenger seat and remained silent on the drive home.

“Did someone let Marcus’ mum know he was coming home for tea?” Roman asked as they piled inside.

“Yes.” Sammy murmured shooting a look at his mum. “We asked her yesterday if it was ok but I forgot to ask you.”

Ella looked at him narrowing her eyes before moving into the kitchen. She poured out beakers of juice and put them on the table.

“Georgie can you go get a shower please before you do your homework. What do you want for tea?” Ella asked.

Sammy looked at Marcus.

“Can we have burgers or something?” he asked slowly.

Ella gave him a look.

“Presumably with salad?” she asked him.

Sammy gave her a cheeky grin.

“What do you like Marcus?” Roman asked slowly aware of Ella looking at him.

“Anything except brown rice.” Marcus muttered with a comical expression on his face.

Ella gave him a searching look before heading back into the kitchen. She took out ingredients from the fridge and began making a simple salad platter.

“Need any help?” Roman asked quietly.

Ella shook her head.

“It’s ok I’ve got it.” she murmured. “But you should check that Martha is ok with him here.”

Roman nodded and eased out of the room. She heard him speaking to Marcus and she flinched, biting back scathing words while she focused on the food. She moved to the freezer and took out burgers and a bag of potato wedges. She started cooking focusing on the food.

“Hello.” Pete called walking into the house.

“Hey.” Ella said coming into the hallway. “You made good time.”

Jacko grinned.

“Don’t know how he was driving like an old woman.” He commented.

“Hey.” Roman murmured coming out of the study.

“Hardcore.” Jacko grinned at his friend catching the look that Pete gave him.

“Drink?” Roman asked the trio.

“I think that was a stupid question.” Ella told him handing round the beers she had taken out of the fridge.

“Where is Jacob?” Pete asked.

“Over the pool house with Mike.” Roman supplied.

“We’ll go over and have a chat before you make us do homework.” Jacko said earning a chuckle from Sammy.

“Who are they?” Marcus whispered.

“Friends of my dad’s.” Meggy said. “Well apart from Jacko we just have him around because we feel sorry for him.”

“Hey I heard that.” Jacko grouched. “That one gets her mouth from her mother.” He muttered.

Meggy giggled before sprinting up from her seat and going over to hug Jacko.

“Hello uncle Jacko.” She said sweetly.

“Hey what about us?” Pete said gesturing to him and James.

Meggy chuckled and hugged the other two men.

“Let them go see Jacob.” Roman murmured. “You’ll see them later.”

“Are they staying?” Sophie asked.

Ella nodded at her daughter.

“Ok.” she said giving her parents a look.

Ella grinned at her daughter before moving back into the kitchen.

“Marcus I spoke to your Mum and she said it’s ok for you to have tea with us.” Roman murmured to the little boy.

“See I told you.” Sammy grinned.

“I think I want homework done.” Roman murmured.

Marcus looked at him.

“Mine is reading.” He said quietly.

“That’s Mum’s area.” Sammy told him. “Daddy does math.”

Roman paled.

“I think I can listen to you reading this once.” He said glancing at the kitchen.

“No that’s Mummy’s area. Marcus is a good reader we’ve been helping him.” Meggy told him.

“Yeah, this is his first school.” Sophie explained. “He used to do school by radio.”

“That’s enough gossip please Sophie.” Ella murmured to her daughter. “I’m sure Marcus doesn’t want you to blurt his entire family history.”

Marcus paled and put his thumb in his mouth.

“Its ok Marcus, Mummy isn’t mad she’s telling us to mind our manners.” Meggy explained to him. “Because it’s not nice to listen to gossip.”

Marcus nodded solemnly and looked down at his book.

“Ok what did I miss?” Georgie said coming into the room.

“Your last haircut by the looks of it.” Roman commented.

“I told Mum I wanted it longer.” Georgie told him with a frown. “I don’t like the curls though.” He added trying to straighten his fringe.

“Tough luck babes you get that from your father.” Ella told him moving to sit at the table. “Dinner is nearly done so how is that homework coming along?”

Meggy groaned and started writing in her book again.…

“I’m done.” Sammy announced handing over his book.

“Ok.” Ella said slowly looking at it. “Spelt this word wrong. Look it up in your dictionary.” She instructed.

Sammy looked at it before getting his dictionary out of his bag and checking the word. He put a single line through it and spelt it correctly above it.

“Well done babes.” Ella said leaning over and kissing him.

“Can we put a film on afterwards?” Sammy asked.

“Only a short one.” Roman told him.

Sammy grinned and sprang up from the table to go choose one.

“Meggy?” Ella asked.

“Not going to be finished tonight.” She said with a frown. “They want three pages.”

“When does it need to be in by?”

“Friday.” Meggy muttered.

“Ok then.” Ella said softly. “And what about you?” she asked turning to Marcus.

“I had reading.” He said to her before putting his thumb back in his mouth.

Ella reached over and picked him up putting him on her lap.

“No thumb babes.” She said softly kissing him. “Is this your book.”

He nodded ant took his thumb out of his mouth.

“Ok, shall we start reading?” she said again in that soft tone of voice.

Marcus nodded and began to read his finger tracing the words as he spoke.

“Well done.” Ella said when he’d finished.

She picked up a pen and wrote in his progress book before putting his things away.

“Mum.” Sophie said after a minute.

“Yup?”

“Where are Lily and William?”

“We sold them to pay for your dinner.” Ella said quietly.

Sophie gasped.

“Or they could be with Irene and Annie.” Roman told his daughter.

Ella lifted up Marcus and sat him back on his chair.

“Right I need table cleared and hands washed please.” She told everyone before heading back into the kitchen.

Roman watched as the kids put their things away and filed out of the room before he followed Ella into the kitchen.

“That was interesting.” He murmured.

“Yes.” Ella said softly.

“I’ll go get the others.”

“You go do that.” Ella murmured.

“Ella.” He murmured her name stopping what he was going to say when he heard the kids walking back down the stairs. He gave her another look before heading out the back door.

She gave him a look before serving up the burgers on to a plate and taking them to the table. She added the salad and the wedges.

“Need any help Mum?” Sophie asked.

“It’s all done. You might want to check if they want any more drinks?” she told her.

Sophie nodded and moved away. She began to organise everyone at the table and Ella smiled as she watched her before getting a drink for herself and moving to sit on the sofa. She leaned back against the cushions and relaxed for a moment before the door opened and Roman walked in with the two youngest children.

“Mama.” William called out running over to her.

“Hey little man.” Ella said slowly picking him up.

He snuggled into her.

“Liam sleepy.” She asked him.

“No.” he said moving his head from side to side.

“Want dinner?”

“Ice cream.” William said.

Lily grinned.

“Nana gave us ice cream.” She told her mother.

“Oh really?” Ella grinned. “So you’re not hungry.”

Lily rubbed her belly.

“Me hungry.” She lisped.

“Come on then.” Roman told them. “Lets get you some dinner before the greedy ones eat it all.”

He moved to the table and set up the high chairs before picking up first Lily and then William and settling them in their high chairs. He put some food in front of them and watched as they started eating slowly.

“El what are you eating?” Roman asked quietly.

“Not too hungry. I’ll get something later.” She murmured just as quietly.

He gave her a look before sitting at the table with the kids and eating himself. Ella watched them for a while before standing and moving to the stairs. She climbed them tiredly and moved into the bedroom sinking onto the bed. Within minutes she was asleep.

Chapter 27

Roman eased the door open and peeked inside. He saw Ella fast asleep on the bed and sighed before walking over to her.

“Hey.” He murmured quietly stroking the hair back from her face.

Ella woke slowly slapping feebly at the hand stroking her hair.

“We’re fighting remember.” She grouched.

“Sorry I got distracted by the fact that I want to kiss you right now.” He murmured lowering his head.

Ella shoved at his chest stopping his downward movement.

“Don’t even think about it.” she muttered.

Roman growled before straightening.

“Fine.” He muttered. “But seriously you half asleep on a bed, even with short hair I still got to kiss you.”

Ella put her hand up to her hair self-consciously before sitting up and putting her feet on the floor.

“What time is it?” she asked after a moment.

He told her the time before following it up.

“The kids are in bed except for Sophie.”

“Ok.” Ella murmured and eased up slowly. Roman noticed that she put her hand to her side again and frowned.

“Let me look.” He told her.

She shook her head.

“Ella.” He muttered standing and facing her.

“It’s nothing.”

“Well if its nothing then you won’t mind me looking.” He said softly.

She lifted her top and he saw the bruising she had all across her side.

“What the hell happened?” he ground out.

“I fell.” She whispered.

“Some fall.” He shot back.

“I tumbled down some steps at the mall.” She whispered pulling at her top. “It’s nothing.”

“Fall or were you pushed.” Roman asked after a moment.

“Fell.” She muttered. “I don’t know. It’s “ she stopped and looked at him. “You think he’s following us? But I would have known if it were Gardy. I would have sensed him.” She added the last in a horrified whisper.

Roman moved quickly to her side and placed a gentle kiss to her lips.

“Come on we need to find out what Jacob knows.” He said softly taking hold of her hand and leading her out of the room.

“Mummy.” Sophie called. “he’s here.”

“I know sweetie.” Ella told her moving over to her daughter. “Now if this gets too difficult just let us know.”

Sophie nodded.

Ella smiled at her daughter and led her back to sit on the sofa. Jacob was seated at the table his hands folded tightly in his lap.

“Ok Jacob. Tell Sophie what you told us.” Ella instructed.

He began to speak telling the same story he’d previously told them. He was unable to make eye contact with Sophie throughout.

“So it’s this bad mans fault?” Sophie asked. “Because well you did creep me out.”

Jacob nodded.

“I’ve given up teaching.” Jacob said quietly. “But if you want to press charges.”

Sophie looked at her parents and then back at Jacob.

“Why isn’t Gabby here?” she asked slowly.

“Because I didn’t want you to feel that you had to forgive me because I’m married to your sister. She knows what I did.” Jacob said quietly.

“I don’t know.” Sophie told them.

“That’s ok. You can take some time to think about it.” Roman told his daughter.

“Is this man going to come after us?” she asked him.

Roman nodded slowly.

“Why?”

“We don’t know.” Ella supplied. “We haven’t told the others yet. But you knew something was going on didn’t you?”

Sophie nodded and gave them a grin.

“Jacko, Pete and James?” she asked. “Had to be something going on.”

“I have a smart daughter.” Roman murmured.

Sophie grinned.

“See Sammy isn’t the only superbrain.”

Roman flinched.

“Sorry.” He said immediately to his daughter.

“Off to bed now Sophie. Meggy is in with you.” Ella told her quickly looking over at Roman.

Sophie eased up and gave her mother a kiss before doing the same to Roman and then going out of the door.

“Don’t be sorry.” Ella told Roman as soon as Sophie disappeared. “You don’t favour any of the children. She was teasing you.”

Roman inclined his head briefly before looking at Jacob.

“How did you contact this person?” he asked him.

“My phone. Pete took it to do something.” Jacob told them.

“Did you see him? Meet him?” Ella asked.

Jacob nodded.

“So if we were to show you a picture you’d be able to pick him out?” Ella said leaning forward on the sofa.

“El.” Roman murmured concerned with the way she was getting agitated.

She shook her head and stood moving into the study. He heard drawers being pulled open before Ella came back with a photo album.

“El.” He said again.

“I have to know.” She said to him. “I need to know if its him.”

Roman nodded and took the photo album out of her hands. He placed it on the table and opened it turning the pages until he found a group shot of the squad.

“There.” he murmured to Jacob. “Is it one of these men?”

Jacob looked at the page and nodded pointing out Gardy.

“Him.” he said softly. “It’s him.”

Ella moaned under her breath.

“He’s dead.” She muttered. “I buried him.”

Jacob shook his head.

“I don’t know ok. It looks like him.” he stuttered.

Roma moved over to Ella’s side and put his arms around her as she began to cry.

“It’s going to be ok. We’ll get through this.” He promised her. “Just hang on to me.”

She shook her head and shuddered.

“How can it be him?” she asked.

“I don’t know.” Roman said. “But we’ll figure this out.”

Jacob stood and moved out of the room leaving them alone.

Chapter 28

Ella looked up and saw Roman walking over to her.

“Two juices and a coffee.” He murmured placing the drinks on the table.

“What do you say?” Ella murmured to Lily and William.

“Ta.” Lily lisped.

William smiled up at him and waved his fists.

“Got time to sit with us?” Ella asked quietly.

Roman nodded easing into the seat next to her.

“I think Lily liked Nursery this morning.” Ella said slowly.

Roman reached over and took hold of Ella’s hand smiling at her.

“Really? Is that so Lily girl?” he addressed his daughter.

Lily nodded.

“No Liam.” She pouted.

“Liam can go next year.” Ella pointed out.

Lily nodded and looked at her brother.

“How about Lily goes on Monday and sees if she likes it.” Roman said softly.

“I think Monday could work.” Ella murmured.

She took a sip of her coffee and looked at her daughter.

Lily sipped her juice and nodded before looking at William.

“Now how is my wife?” Roman asked her. “She looks pretty tired.”

“Mama nap?” Lily asked.

“I’m fine.” Ella said slowly. “Lily and Liam nap.”

“No mama play.” Liam said.

Lily looked at him and then back at her mother and nodded.

“Guess you aren’t going to get your nap.” Roman told her. “Unless you want to take them to the beach.”

“Beach Mama?” Lily asked excitedly,

“I think Daddy should come to the beach too.” Ella murmured glaring at Roman.

“Well I do have to work.” He said. “But I suppose I could come later.”

Ella laughed.

“Well thanks Daddy.” She muttered giving Roman a look.

He grinned back at her unrepentantly.

Ella finished her coffee and put the cup back in place before looking over at her kids.

“Ready to go?” she asked them. “Go to the beach?”

Lily nodded and put her juice cup on the table.

“What about you little man?”

“I is ready.” Liam said nodding.

“Come on then.” Ella told them standing up.

“I’ll see you later.” Roman promised.

Ella nodded and guided the two children out of the diner and to her car. She strapped them into their seats before getting in herself and heading home. She let them loose on the veranda before opening the door and ushering them upstairs to get changed.

“Off out again?” Jacko called from the kitchen.

“We’re going doing the beach.” Ella said peering over the side of the stairs and looking at him. “Want to come with us and keep us company?” she asked.

Jacko looked at her and nodded before his rational brain could kick in.

“Cool. See you in a few minutes.” She told him racing after the children. She dived into the nursery and grabbed Lily away form the chest of drawers where she was emptying the contents trying to get her swimming costume out.

“Hey madam slow down ok.” Ella grinned at her.

“Swim.” Lily told her.

“I know. Here is your pink costume.” Ella said holding it up. She lifted Lily to her lap and changed her quickly putting a sundress over the top before grabbing swim pants for Liam and changing him.

“now put on gooey stuff.” She told them reaching for the sunscreen.

Lily suffered the cream going on her face pouting when it went around her neck. She grinned at Liam when it was his turn for the sunscreen.

“Mama?” Lily asked.

“Mama needs to get changed first.” Ella told her daughter.

Lily nodded and stood walking into the their bedroom and went over to the chest of drawers. She pulled open a drawer and started taking things out of it.

“Slow down Lily girl.” Ella giggled at her daughter.

She lifted her up and stood her in the middle of the bed.

“Stay there.” she murmured before grabbing the things from the floor and putting them away. Within a couple of minutes she had selected a swimsuit and moved into the en suite to change. She left the door ajar so she could look at Lily and now William. She was changed within seconds pulling on a sundress of her own over the top before slipping her feet into sandals.

She took the children downstairs and out into the car before grabbing a handful of towels from the laundry.

“Ready?” she asked Jacko.

He nodded following her out to the car.

She glanced over at him as she drove.

“So who are dating at the moment?” she asked bluntly.

“Ella Harris.” He coughed in surprise at the question.

“Only asking because you know that Leah caught my bouquet.” She grinned over at him before pulling into a parking space and leading the children out of the car and on to the hot sand. She laid out the towels and sat down getting out the toys for the children to play with. Watching as they began building sand castles.

“Sorry but my heart is taken.” Jacko told her unaware of how serious he sounded.

“You should tell her to stop playing hard to get and make an honest man of you.”

Jacko looked over at Ella and then the two children.

“She can’t perform miracles.” He said instead of the words that sprang to mind.

Ella smiled.

“I think there is a lot to love about you Jacko Thompson. I would love to see you happy with a couple of these running around.” She told him seriously.

Jacko smiled at her.

“I don’t do kids.” He stated.

“Jacko.” Lily cried out.

“What?” he asked immediately and then groaned at the look that Ella gave him.

“I think we need to introduce Uncle Jacko to ‘ickle wars.” Ella whispered loudly to her children.

“What are ickle wars?” Jacko asked and then laughed when Lily and William pounced on him and started tickling him.

“Mama ickle.” Lily told her.

Ella laughed and reached over to tickle Jacko.

None of them noticed Roman watching from across the beach.

Chapter 29

Ella moved quietly into the kitchen getting a glass of water for herself.

“Couldn’t sleep either huh?” Jacko asked her form the dark of the dinning room.

Ella screeched before switching the light on.

“Don’t do that to me Jacko.” She muttered placing a hand on her chest.

“Sorry. I was tempted to whistle to let you know I was here but I can only do a wolf whistle.”

Ella chuckled before rescuing her glass and moving to sit opposite him.

“So what are you doing up Jacko? Not keeping watch?” she asked the other man.

“No I was just thinking about stuff.”

“The mysterious woman you’re in love with?” Ella said softly.

Jacko looked at her and nodded.

“You need to knock her off this pedestal she’s on. There are just as many women out there who are better than her.” Ella told him.

“She’s pretty amazing.” Jacko said. “Been through a lot and still laughs.”

“Ah but laughing is easy, it’s the crying bit that’s hard.” Ella told him and then laughed. “Sorry. Just having a rough night really.”

“Ella.” Jacko said quietly.

“I wake up the same time every night. The same time Jacko.” She began. “And I’m crying my eyes out.”

“You should wake that husband of yours and…” Jacko trailed off when he saw her shake her head.

“He doesn’t care.”

“I can’t believe that Ella he goes mad when anything hurts you.” Jacko murmured.

“No it’s true. This time it’s different. When a couple lose a child they usually split up.” She took a drink of her water her hand shaking as she lifted the glass.

“So back to you.” She murmured.

“Nothing to say.” Jacko shrugged.

“Really?” Ella asked him. “Because well you know that you should be out finding someone who deserves you.”

“Are you saying this woman doesn’t?” Jacko said.

Ella nodded.

“She’s way too damaged. You need someone unspoilt. Someone who is going to make you happy.”

“El.” Jacko said quickly.

Ella gave him a smile before leaning forward and kissing him her hand on the side of his face.

“You should go to bed now and be with that husband of yours.” Jacko told her.

Ella nodded.

“Maybe. But.” She stopped tilting her head to one side before continuing. “There is not warmth in my bed Jacko. We hate each other.”

“I’m never going to believe that Roman hates you.” Jacko denied standing and getting himself another beer.

“I wouldn’t let him be the hero.” She said quietly.

Jacko moved back to the table and looked at her before sitting back down.

“What does that mean Ella?” he asked her swigging from the bottle.

“Doesn’t matter I’m just maudlin tonight.” She gave Jacko a grin.

“No sounds as though it does matter. Are you and Roman splitting up?” Jacko asked point blank.

Ella looked at him and wiped at the tear that trickled down her face.

“He hasn’t cried with me. We lost our babies and he hasn’t cried. He hasn’t spoken about it except to tell me off for organising their funeral. I’ve never felt so lonely.” She whispered.

“Have you talked to him about this?” Jacko asked quickly.

Ella shook her head.

“We can’t talk without fighting. I’m so sad. I feel so lost Jacko.” She rubbed at her eyes and stood up taking her half-empty glass through to the kitchen. “Sorry this isn’t fair of me.”

“You can talk to me about anything El, I won’t even pretend to understand half of it but I will listen.”

Ella gave a subdued laugh.

“I know I can. You are a very good friend.” She told him. “And I’m sorry.”

“Hell nothing to be sorry about.” Jacko told her with a smile. “That’s the nicest let down I’ve had for years and I finally got a kiss from the girl of my dreams.”

Ella nodded and smiled over at him.

“Time to stop dreaming now Jacko and find yourself a real woman.” She said softly.

Jacko nodded solemnly.

“Just do me a favour.”

“Oh don’t worry Roman hasn’t figured it out in 20 years I’m not going to let on.” She grinned as she looked at Jacko.

“Yeah well.” Jacko stuttered as he blushed. “You knew all this time?”

Ella nodded.

“Jacko please.” She murmured.

“Fine ok. You know stuff we’ve only just thought about doing. No wonder he calls you a witch.”

She gave him a last look before moving over to him and kissing his cheek.

“Go to bed Uncle Jacko you need to be fresh for round two of ickle wars.”

Jacko laughed and watched her go. He tried to keep the worried look off his face but felt some real fear that Roman and Ella weren’t going to make it this time.

Ella climbed back into bed with Roman. He lay with his back to her and she bit her lip to stifle the sigh threatening to escape. Turning her back to him she lay her head on the pillow and slipped quietly asleep.

Roman felt her climb back into the bed and sighed. He’d gone downstairs to find her a moment earlier and seen her talking to Jacko. More than talking, she’d kissed him. That and picture of them on the beach earlier kept going through his head and he bit the inside of his cheek to stop the moan of pain forming inside him.

Chapter 30

Roman pounded along the beach as he ran. He felt the lap of the surf washing up to his feet and erasing the footsteps that scaled behind him like a disjointed tail. He felt the heat of each breath scale into his lungs as he ran determined to exhaust himself. To erase the feeling that were coursing through him like the blood that was going through his veins. He focused on nothing except putting one foot in front of another until he knew he couldn’t do it anymore and sucking in yet another lung full of hot air he stopped and looked out to sea. Falling to his knees he bent his head and began to cry.

Someone was out there messing with his family. They had lost two beautiful baby daughters and now worse that that he and Ella were. He stopped, were what? He mocked himself. She didn’t want him anymore. No matter what happened between them now she was no longer in love with him. He knew that because she wouldn’t kiss anyone else and to do it in his house, in their home. And for a long moment he tortured himself that it was more that maybe she’d let him hold her and caress her and then guided him over to the sofa showing him her body. Groaning at the mental images that he tortured himself with, he roared with frustration and hurt.

Easing back to his feet he turned back towards where he came. Pacing himself he ran towards the where he’d parked the car. It seemed to take a long time to reach the vehicle and he laughed almost maniacally at how far he’d run in an effort to get rid of the negative feelings.

He climbed behind the wheel and set off driving home, well to the house. He knew that the kids would still be in bed. Pete and James had set up their gadgets in the study trying to get a fix on the mobile phone that had made the calls to Jacob. And as for Jacko, well no doubt he was making himself useful. He found himself gritting his teeth as he thought about his old friend and swore before getting himself under control again. Pulling up in the drive he got out of the car and moved inside.

“Morning Hardcore.” Jacko called out from his seat on the back veranda. “What the hell are you thinking?”

“What do you mean?” Roman asked quietly moving into the kitchen and getting a drink.

“Well you know that someone is out there and yet you go for a morning run without telling anyone.” Jacko pointed out standing and looking at the other man.

“I needed the exercise.” Roman muttered drinking deeply.

He felt himself get mad all over again at the man for stealing one of his wife’s kisses. They belonged to him and no other man should have them let alone anything else.

“I’m sure you could have got some exercise here at home.” Jacko murmured.

Roman glared at him.

“And what the hell is that supposed to mean?” Roman shot out. “No never mind.” He added turning and walking away. His footsteps echoed through the quiet house as he moved upstairs.

“And who put the stick up his backside?” Pete asked Jacko coming in from outside where he’d overheard part of the conversation.

“We need to do something.” Jacko told him. “They are falling apart here.”

“I would have thought that would suit you?” Pete asked him.

Jacko laughed.

“Do you think that even if she did return my feelings she’d ever do anything that would hurt him?” Jacko asked softly keeping an eye on the stairs. “Anyway, we talked last night.”

“So everything is cool.” Pete asked him.

Jacko nodded and reached for the coffee pot.

“Not so good for them though.” He said after refilling his cup.

“I can bet this is the last thing they need.”

Jacko nodded.

“And we still have to find Gabby’s twin.” He pointed out to the other man.

“We so suck as detectives. Why do they keep asking us?” Pete gave a mock-groan.

Jacko laughed.

“Because they trust us.” He murmured.

Pete nodded.

“And we’re cheap.” He added after a moment.

Ella rolled over in the bed as roman walked out of the en suite.

“Hey.” She murmured.

“Hey yourself.” he replied and cursed the hostile note that was in his voice.

“Are you doing the school run?” she said quietly.

“Are you tried this morning?” he asked back.

Ella looked at him and climbed out of the bed. She finger combed her hair before walking into the en suite bathroom. Roman heard the shower come on and groaned. He dropped the towel he had round his hips and moved to pull on clothes. He left the bedroom and moved downstairs going into the kitchen. Moving around with familiar ease he made breakfast for everyone. He poured out a cup of coffee for himself and guided the kids to the table as they moved down the stairs.

He knew when Ella came down sensing her first before the smell of her favourite body cream reached him.

She moved past him and poured her own coffee.

“Kids have you got everything for today?” she murmured. “Sammy do you need your sports kit?”

Sammy shook his head.

“I don’t have sports until Wednesday.” He muttered.

All eyes turned to him.

“Is it Wednesday then?” he asked.

Ella nodded.

“All day.” She murmured.

He vaulted up from the table and ran out of the room and upstairs.

“How can he not know the days of the week?” Meggy grumbled. “Wednesday is halfway to the weekend.”

Ella smiled at her daughter.

“Not everyone looks forward to the weekends.” She murmured easing into a seat.

“Are Lily and William awake?” Roman asked cutting through the chatter.

“No.” Ella said bluntly and then cursing the tone she used when the kids gave her a concerned look. “Lily is going to nursery on Monday.” She covered up with a comment to the children.

“Cool.” Meggy exclaimed.

“Mum.” Sophie began.

“Yes?” Ella turned to look at her daughter.

“Is it ok if I tell the others?” she asked casting a look around the table.

“What am I missing?” Sammy asked running into the room. He plonked his sports kit on the coffee table and sat back down at the table.

“Go on Sophie.” Ella encouraged.

Roman gave her a look before moving away to pour himself another coffee he heard Sophie explain to the others that they has made up with Gabby and that there was a not very nice man out there being horrible.

“Why?” Meggy asked.

“I don’t know.” Ella said patiently. “We probably made him do his homework.”

Meggy giggled and looked at Sammy.

“Do we need to be careful?” he asked frowning.

“Yes and you should tidy your bedroom too.”

“Oh Mummy!” Sammy groaned.

“Hey it was worth a try. What do you want to do this weekend?” she asked distracting them.

“We want a sleepover with Marcus.” Sammy said immediately.

Ella paled and focused on drinking her coffee.

“Really?” she asked.

Sammy nodded.

“I need to spend some time with Princess.” Sophie murmured.

“I want to go camping. Do you think Mike will go with me?” Georgie asked.

Ella frowned at him.

“Been reading your cadet stuff?” she murmured.

He nodded.

“So whats wrong with asking your dad?”

Georgie looked at her.

“I thought that you and Dad could do with some time.” he said quietly.

Ella looked at him and bit her lip.

“Thank you for the offer.” Roman said when Ella remained quiet. “You can ask Mike if you want.”

“Finished with breakfast?” Ella asked after a moment.

The kids nodded.

“Meggy please clear the table. And then I want hands and faces washed and teeth brushed please.” Ella instructed before standing and moving into the kitchen. She reached for the coffee pot, then saw that it was empty and quickly put it back.

“I’ll make some more.” Roman offered.

“Never mind I’ll pick some up in the diner. I need to meet someone.”

Roman frowned at her before walking to the back door.

Ella watched him go before turning away herself and moving to the front door. She ushered the children out stopping Sammy and pointing to his sports kit.

“Ops.” He grinned at her and collected it before running out to the car.

“What time will you be back?” Roman called out from the kitchen.

“Not sure. Before you go to work anyway.” She muttered before leaving.

“Now correct me if I’m wrong but was that you and Ella?” Jacko asked coming in from the back

“Stay out of it.” Roman muttered.

“Just checking because it sure didn’t seem like it. Maybe I missed the bit where she kissed you before she left.” Jacko said folding his arms and looking at the other man. “And the bit where you sat with her and held her hand.” Pete added moving inside to face the other man.

“When was the last time you complimented her?” Jacko muttered.

“Yeah, she seems really self conscious about that haircut. The Roman I know would have noticed that.”

“What the hell are you two on.” Roman snapped out looking at them.

“Just noticing a few things.” Pete told him quietly.

“So are you behind what Georgie said this morning?”

Pete shook his head and looked over at Jacko.

“Seems to me Hardcore that if your son has noticed it then something must be wrong.” Jacko said quietly.

“Something is wrong.” Roman shouted. “We lost our babies and once more Ella lied to me but you know what just you take her side like everyone else. She’s an angel compared to me isn’t she?”

He gave them another scathing look before storming out of the room. He looked briefly at the front door before turning and taking the stairs two at a time making it to their bedroom. He sucked in a deep breath trying to control the anger in him and swore before sitting on the bed and closing his eyes against the tide of anger going through him.

“She told me he hated her. I never thought that could happen.” Jacko said sadly.

“I think we should do something.”

Jacko shook his head.

“Nothing we can do except find out who is pretending they are Gardy.”

Archived