A Summer Bay Wedding II

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 60

Roman walked through the front door. He saw the kids look at him curiously as he walked over to where Ella was sitting on the sofa with her feet up. She looked up at him with uncertainty in her gaze.

“Kids go to your room.” he called out softly watching with soft humour as they slowly moved out of the room obviously trying to listen in. He walked over to Ella and sat in front of her on the coffee table.

“This is how it’s going to be.” He began and saw her bit her lip. “I’ve spoken to James and he is going to come and teach you tai chi and yoga. It will help keep you fit and keep that blood pressure under control. You won’t be doing any housework at all. Check up every two weeks. In bed by ten every night.”

She gazed up at him and had to press her lips together to stop them trembling.

“I’m going to feed you up with lots of vitamin rich foods.” He continued. “But this is on the proviso of the results.”

She nodded and un-tucked her feet moving to sit up.

“Roman.” She asked breathlessly.

He nodded.

“It still depends on the results.” He cautioned.

He looked at her then and saw the tears in her eyes.

“El?” he murmured her name softly.

“You and the children are the most important things in my life.” She told him as the first tears started to fall.

“You were actually considering it weren’t you?” he asked her disbelievingly. “Considering having an abortion?”

She nodded sadly.

“Oh Ella. I love you so much.” He whispered.

He moved to sit next to her and took her into his arms holding her close as she began to cry in a way he had never heard from her before. She pressed herself close clinging to him.

“I couldn’t lose you.” She sobbed. “And it wasn’t fair to the children.”

“Ella shush now.” He said softly.

“We’re really having the babies?” she asked him.

Roman nodded slowly.

“Really?” she asked again.

Roman looked at her and wiped away her tears.

“We’ve still got the results of the tests to come. If there is something seriously wrong then we need to think about what we are going to do.” He cautioned.

“But if everything is ok?” she asked scrambling on to her knees and pressing a hand to her stomach.

“If everything is ok.” he nodded.

She gave him a smile wiping at the tears on her face.

“There are no guarantees Ella. I spoke to Rachel today. It’s going to be hard.” He said hating that he had to be the voice of reason.

She nodded.

“I know.” She said quietly. “I spoke to the doctor too today.”

His head shot up and he looked at her feeling her hand reach out and clasp hold of his. He felt her tremble and bit back a curse that this was so hard for them.

“I went for an appointment at a clinic and spoke to the doctor and the nurse.” She said slowly. “They talked me through what would happen if.” Her voice broke and she couldn’t continue.

“My beautiful brave Ella.” He said quietly and leaned forward and kissed her.

“I’m not. I’m scared stupid.” She admitted. “I’m scared that if I love these babies I will lose you.”

Roman let out a surprising bark of laughter.

“So am I.” He admitted.

She grinned suddenly.

“We’re still getting married?” she asked.

“If you think that you are running out on me now.” He growled.

She leaned forward and kissed him feeling his hands reach out and hold her face as his mouth fused with hers.

“God I love you.” He murmured.

She giggled before leaning over and whispering in his ear.

“I also asked if we could still make love.”

“Ella Harris.” He said shocked.

She smiled at him and eased off the sofa walking through to the kitchen.

“Ella.” He called out. “What did the doctor say?”

He heard her laugh and vaulted off the sofa chasing after her catching her as she stepped into the kitchen.

“Well?” he asked softly.

“No problems at this stage.” She said to him. “Obviously because of the test to wait for a couple of days.”

Roman sighed pulling her into his arms.

“I’m sorry for adding more stress El. I should have thought about it.”

She gave him another heart melting look from her sapphire eyes and smiled catching hold of his hand and placing it on her stomach.

“We made these babies and so far they have had a tough start. But we love them and will do everything we can for them. Isn’t that right?” she asked him.

Roman nodded unable to speak past the lump in his throat.

“But if it doesn’t work we’ll still have each other and all our other wonderful children.” She added.

Roman felt tears welling up in his eyes and looked into hers to see them shining with unshed tears.

“And we might blame each other and turn away if it goes wrong.” She whispered.

He nodded remembering Francesca their beloved baby girl.

“So we have to promise that if that happens we’ll find a way through it.” she added once more in a whisper. “Because you are my strength and my hope and my heart. You are my soul mate and I couldn’t think of a worse torture than to lose you again.”

Roman gave a small whimper under his breath before leaning forward and kissing her.

“You are the one good thing in my life Ella Harris. I love you for everything you’ve given me. For being a wonderful mother to my daughter Nic and my son Aden, for giving me so many wonderful children. For coming back to me time and time again and proving that second and third chances are possible. I hated thinking about an abortion but if I lost you I don’t know how I would carry on.”

“You did ok when I left you.” She said quietly giving him a quirky grin.

He felt some of the tension leaving him at her joking comment and he smiled.

“That’s because I knew you’d be back.” He said smugly. “After all I’m the only man……”

Ella leaned forward and kissed him cutting off the rest of the words he was going to say.

“You are never going to stop embarrassing me are you?” she groaned.

Roman chuckled and looked at her. He reached out and stroked the hair back off her face before leading her over to the sofa and sitting with her curled up in his arms.

“Well you should know that kind of stuff makes me feel..”

“Like Tarzan?” she asked.

He nodded.

“Primitive. Smug.” He added. “And a man.”

“You had doubts you were a man?” she asked him teasingly.

“Of course not.” He murmured in a tone of voice that made her giggle. “But well,” he paused. “the way you are with me. So amazing and you let me try anything.”

“Uh huh.” She murmured.

“Almost anywhere.” He added grinning as she blushed. “And then tell me that you aren’t like that with anyone else. It makes me feel all smug and macho. And of course the amount of times I’ve knocked you up.”

“It took months with Francesca.” She commented slowly. “But all the others were almost accidents.”

“Sammy.” he said slowly blushing.

“Yeah.” She grinned. “Wasn’t it something like I wish you could get pregnant now?” she paraphrased him.

“I may have something like that.” He nodded. “And I also may have wanted you pregnant right now.”

She chuckled feeling his hand protectively on her stomach.

“Tell me again why?” she asked softly.

“Because I thought I was leaving you.” He blurted out not even realising that was part of the reason. “And I didn’t want you to leave me.”

Ella looked at him.

“Aside from the whole leaving each other many times already why would you think that I would leave again?” she asked slowly.

“Because the wedding was upsetting you.” He said slowly looking at her. “And we’d already had a huge fight.”

“You mean when you came to the book signing?” she said to him.

He nodded.

She gave him a small smile.

“I know. That felt pretty horrible to me too. And then there was the bit where you started pulling away from me. Roman I’m allowed to lose my temper and react when I get hurt. It doesn’t mean it’s the end of us.”

He gave her a look and smiled slowly.

“I know. And I lose my temper at you too. But I don’t want to be back in that kind of relationship where we throw the big stuff at each other to hurt one another.”

“So I guess telling you that Chris fathered the twins is a no-no.”

Roman laughed.

“Would have worked if you hadn’t told me he’d had a vasectomy.” He pointed out,

“Maybe he got it reversed?” she suggested.

“God I hope not, the jerk is too obnoxious to reproduce.”

“Should I point out that Gabby is going to marry his son?” Ella asked him with a giggle.

Roman gave her another one of his looks before he chucked.

“He was brought up by his mother it doesn’t count.” He pointed out.

Ella sighed and snuggled into him a bit closer.

“If I had a child with someone else…” she began.

“You already did kinda.” Roman said. “Mike. And you did a wonderful job.”

She sighed looking at him.

“I was going to ask if you’d be there for me but I should already know the answer. You risked your life to save him.”

Roman nodded and leaned over to kiss her.

“I’m not a hero El, I went because you asked me too.”

She gave him a look that spoke volumes and he sighed.

“Ok, maybe I would have waited until William was born and then gone to get Mike.” he admitted.

She chuckled once more.

“I love you Roman Harris.”

“Love you too Ella Harris.” He said softly leaning down and kissing her.

“Can we come down now?” Sophie called out from somewhere that didn’t sound like the stairs.

Roman sighed looking at Ella curled up next to him on the sofa.

“Are you sure you want to add more kids?” he asked. “And another set of twins?”

Ella looked up at him and nodded.

“Yes please.” She said softly.

He grinned at her.

“Going to follow the rules Ella? I know you’re not big on them.”

She gave him another look.

“I will do my best.” She promised her hand protectively over her stomach. “And I will start right away by having salad with my pizza tonight.”

“Pizza.” Sammy called out somewhere near the door.

Roman chuckled.

“Come on in then and we’ll tell you what happening.” He murmured to them.

The door opened and they rushed in sitting around them.

“Ok, we had a test to check if the twins were ok.” Ella began. “And we need to find out the results of that but if everything is ok then I’m going to have to have plenty of rest and not do a lot of the normal things I do, like housework and running after you lot.”

“Mummy.” Sammy interrupted. “I can do more chores and I can check my own homework and look after my rabbit.”

“Thank you Samson.” Roman smiled at his son.

“I can babysit the younger ones.” Sophie offered.

Georgie looked round the group before looking at him Mum and Dad.

“I don’t need to move into a room of my own.” He said softly. “That way I can help keep the upstairs tidy.”

“I love all these offers and we will be asking you to do more around the house.” Ella told them.

Meggy nodded solemnly looking up at her Mum.

“If the tests come back and they are like Francesca what happens?” she asked.

Ella bit her lip and felt Roman clutching at her hand,

“We decide if we can cope as a family if the babies need special care.” He said earning another look of love from Ella.

“And if the baby’s are really bad the doctors take them away.” Ella tried to explain. “But we hope they will be ok.”

Meggy nodded.

“Would that be like when I was in your tummy and you didn’t know if the bad man was my daddy?” she asked slowly.

“You been hearing someone talking Megs?” Roman asked her.

Meggy nodded.

“Yes something like that.” Ella supplied. “But it would be different with these babies. Say for example if they had a bad heart like Francesca or there was something wrong with their heads so they couldn’t talk or walk.”

“Could we teach them to walk?” Sammy asked.

“I’m sure we could try but because their heads are broken they wouldn’t remember how.”

“That wouldn’t be very nice.” Meggy said screwing up her nose.

“Exactly. So we would think about maybe if that happened that it would be best not to have the babies.” Roman murmured.

Sammy nodded understanding.

“So anyway, while I’m feeling so good this is going to happen. Daddy is going to order pizza and salad.”

“Hey!” Roman grumbled and heard her laugh.

“And we are going to move Meggy and Sammy to their own rooms leaving you and your sister in the attic. So you need to think about how you want the rooms decorated.”

“Cool.” Meggy squealed with excitement.

“We will be adding extra chores to your lists.” Roman warned them.

“That’s ok Daddy.” Sammy murmured.

“Less talk more pizza ordering.” Ella grouched.

“Demanding already?” Roman turned and asked her his eyebrow raised,

“Better believe it and just wait a couple of days.” She promised watching as he blushed when the meaning of her words sank in.

“Mummy.” Meggy said slowly.

“Yes babes?” she asked her.

“Did you think about …”

Ella reached out and took hold of Meggy’s hand instead of picking her up like she normally would have. She saw Roman grin at her before he looked back over at their daughter.

“Never. Not for one minute.” She said softly. “I loved you from the moment I knew you existed. I was just really worried that if the bad man was your daddy I would hurt you sometimes.” She told her quietly.

Meggy nodded.

Roman reached out and lifted Meggy on to his lap.

“When the nurse brought you into Mummy’s room you were fast asleep and we didn’t know if you had my eyes like everyone else.” He began feeling Ella looking at him. He’d never told her this story before. “but I picked you up and cuddled you. I loved you already and I promised that even if you were the bad mans I would make sure you were kept safe and that every day I would love you and be the best Daddy I knew how to be.”

He felt Ella’s hand stroking his back and he sighed.

“I love you too daddy but order the pizza already.” Meggy murmured with a grin.

“Sammy pass the phone.” Roman said with a sigh. “Are we having the usual?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 61

Ella looked up at him as he moved the bedroom furniture once more.

“Are you sure you want to do this?” she asked him. “Maybe you should have asked for help?”

“I’m fine.” He muttered wriggling the chest of drawers so that it faced outwards at the end of the bed. He moved back to the other side of the room and picked up the tv and DVD player positioning them on top.

“How’s that?” he mumbled bending down to fiddle with wires.

“I don’t like it. Needs moving to the left.” Ella said biting her lip.

Roman looked over at her and groaned.

“You are supposed to be helping here and following the rules.” He pointed out.

“I’m resting in bed. I haven’t done any housework or lifted anything. “ She supplied.

“But you haven’t drunk your milkshake.” He murmured.

She looked over at the green liquid in the glass and frowned.

“That would be because it tastes like grass.” She blurted.

Roman chuckled.

“It’s got a million vitamins in. One a day will supplement your diet.”

“Seriously Roman if I drink it I will throw up.” She said resisting the urge to fold her arms across herself.

“Drink it.” he ordered.

She looked up at him and sighed before picking up the glass and taking a gulp swallowing with difficulty.

“Thank you.” He said. “Now is the TV in the right place?”

Ella nodded.

“Its great.” She said softly holding out her hand to him.

He eased down beside her on the bed and held her hand.

“So what else do we need to get you?” he asked her.

“My wedding folder and some books. I was thinking that since I’m suck here for the next few months maybe I would look at how hard it would be to finish my degree.” She said finishing the sentence in a whisper.

“Wow El. That’s amazing.” He said quietly. “What do you need me to do?”

“Go to the office at the university and speak to them for me. I’ll need to drag out my old papers and look at them.”

He nodded.

“Where would they be?”

“In the study.” She said quietly. “You don’t think it’s crazy?”

Roman shook his head.

“No absolutely not. It’s something I’ve wanted for you for a while now.”

“But the kids.”

He gave her a quick kiss looking at the worried frown on her face.

“Prove to them all that education is important. They’ll be proud of you Ella. I’m proud of you for even suggesting it.” he said softly.

She nodded.

“Ok then.” She said sounding more confident. “When I go down later I’ll have a look at my papers.”

He nodded kissing her once more.

“Right then, if we move the dresser over there we can get a little bookshelf to put there so that you can have your things on it. And bring the laptop up from the study.”

She nodded smiling at his organising everything.

“Perhaps you should wait until I find out if I can start the course before you have me sit exams.” She murmured laughing at his expression.

“Sorry I’m just trying to make everything ok for you.”

Ella nodded.

“I know and I appreciate it. Well at the moment I appreciate it, in six months I may try and kill you.”

Roman laughed leaning over and kissing her.

“Ready to come down for a bit?” he asked. “You can supervise me doing the laundry.”

“Ouh exciting.” She said softly. “This is going to be a long pregnancy isn’t it.”

“Oh yes.” He agreed with heavy irony in his voice.

Ella giggled and eased out of the bed. She picked up the tray by the side of her and waited until Roman stood up before handing it over to him.

“Thank you.” He grinned at her.

They eased out of the room and down the stairs.

“When does Leona bring back the babies?” Ella asked him.

Roman shrugged before placing the tray near the sink. He looked at his watch.

“In about an hour.” He said.

She gave him a grin.

“Are you sure there is nothing you want to do in that hour?!”

Roman shook his head.

“Just the laundry.” He said slowly.

He heard her make a hrumph noise before sitting on a stool.

“Drink?” he asked.

“Water.” She murmured. “Roman.”

“Yes?” he asked cautiously.

“We’re expecting the doctor to call today with the results aren’t we?”

He nodded at her before placing the water in front of her.

“What.” She began. “How.”

“I don’t know Ella. Even if you had finished those questions.” He gave her a slow grin. “We need to hear what they say.”

She nodded.

“Can you pass my wedding folder?” she asked him.

He nodded and stroked his hand down her back before moving out to the wall unit and collecting her folder. He placed it in front of her and watched as she opened it and looked inside.

“Chocolates?” she asked.

“All done.” He told her.

“I need you to go to the airport for me and pick up two of my bridesmaids.” She said biting her lip.

“El?” he questioned.

She gave him an innocent look and he chuckled, immediately thinking of Meggy.

“Just a little surprise for my daughter.” She told him.

He nodded still grinning and sat next to her at the breakfast bar.

“Ok what else?” he asked.

“Your bucks night.” She said quietly.

“And your hen night.” He gave her a look and grinned again.

“Cancelled.” She said softly.

“No it isn’t.” he told her. “I’ve got Nic on the case.”

“Roman I’m not going to be up to a party in either case.” She said to him unaware that she was pouting.

“El,” he muttered.

“Sorry.” She said after a moment.

“I know what you are going through El I’m right here, ok, but this is our wedding so we are going to do it right.”

She looked at him and nodded.

“Ok then.” She said slowly.

He chuckled and leaned over and kissed her.

“Eight days.” She told him.

“I know. I’ve rearranged the honeymoon.” He said slowly.

“Mr Efficient.” She muttered.

“Still not telling you where we are going.” He murmured kissing the end of her nose.

“Going to tell me what I need to pack?” she asked.

“Nope.” he chuckled.

She grinned and reached out stroking his back.

“That isn’t going to work either.” He grinned at her again. “Back to the arrangements.” He said.

“There isn’t that much to do.” She said slowly. “The favours are done. Seating arrangements done.”

He nodded.

“And you called me efficient.” He looked at her. “El?” he questioned when she paled.

She reached into her pocket and pulled out her phone looking at the caller display.

“I can’t.” she said handing it to him.

Roman nodded taking hold of her hand and answering the call.

“Hello.” He said slowly feeling his hear thumping in his chest. “Roman Harris speaking.”

She watched him nod before he spoke once more.

“Yes, we are waiting for the results of the amniocenteses done on Monday.” He said slowly.

He looked at Ella and handed the phone to her.

“They will only give you the results.” He told her.

She paled even more and took hold of the phone with a shaking hand.

“Yes Ella Harris speaking.” She murmured. “26th November. The results?”

She looked at Roman and tears slowly fell down her pale face.

“Thank you could you repeat that please?” she asked handing Roman the phone. He placed it against his ear and listened.

“Thank you very much.” He said slowly and ended the call.

“Roman.” She murmured his name.

“We’re having twins.” He grinned.

She nodded.

“I can’t believe they are ok.” she muttered her hand on her stomach. “I thought it was going to be bad.”

He smiled slowly before he picked her up off the stool and moving over to the sofa sitting with her in his arms as she cried.

“Its ok.” he said after a time. “And if you don’t stop crying then I’m going to have to kiss you.”

She looked at him and sniffed.

“Is that you still crying?” he asked slowly.

She nodded and wound her arms around his neck.

He chuckled before lowering his head to hers and kissing her.

“Those hormones have kicked in haven’t they?” he asked her after a minute.

“What makes you say that?” She asked him.

“Oh the fact you’ve got your hands up my top kind of tells me!” he grinned as she looked down.

“Oh!” she gasped out.

“What do you think? Are you up for a walk to the sand dunes?”

Ella chuckled, leaning up and kissing him again.

“Maybe.” She said softly.

He laughed his arms around her.

“Knock knock.” Miles called out walking in through the door.

“Hey.” Ella said turning and looking at her babies.

“Mama.” Lily called out toddling in front of Miles and William.

“Thanks for looking after them.” Roman said quickly.

“Yeah.” Ella nodded.

“Up.” Lily demanded lifting her arms up.

“You want cuddle little girl?” Ella said slowly.

She nodded.

“Daddy cuddle.” Ella told her.

Lily looked at her and stamped her foot.

“No Mama cuddle.” She muttered before folding her arms and glaring at her.

Ella giggled.

“But we spoke about this Lily. Mama can’t pick you up at the moment.” Ella told her. “Daddy do cuddles.”

“no don’t want Daddy.” Lily cried. “Me and Liam want Mummy.” She added with another stamp of her foot.

William looked form on to the other before walking over to the tv and switching it on.

“But Mummy can’t pick you up.” Ella explained slowly. “Daddy can. He’s very strong. I bet he can pick you and Liam up together with one arm.”

Lilly looked at her dad before glaring back at her mother.

“Don’t want Daddy. Want Mama. Mama cuddle. Lily sad.”

Ella looked up and saw Miles hiding a grin.

“Why is Lily sad?” Roman asked her.

She gave him a look and then smiled at her mother.

“No hear Daddy.” She said slowly.

“Oh really.” Roman said softly. “That’s a shame because I was planning on giving Lily a chocolate sandwich.”

Lily looked at him before shaking her head. She walked over to the sofa and started trying to climb up it. She got halfway on and wriggled until she got her legs on.

“Now Mama cuddle?” she asked.

“Now Mama can cuddle.” Ella agreed.

Lily climbed into her lap and wrapped her arms around her.

“Mama cuddle better chocolate.” She murmured.

Roman chuckled and leaned over and kissed Lily’s head before kissing Ella once more. He eased off the sofa and walked into the kitchen.

“Beer?” he asked Miles.

“Ok.” the other man agreed. “Is the wedding stuff going ok?”

“That’s what you want to ask?” Roman murmured.

“Well no. “ Miles murmured accepting the beer that Roman handed him. “How are you going to do this Roman?”

Roman looked at him and sighed.

“I don’t know. I mean I knew she did a lot but its just like wow. Already the laundry is piling up and that’s with Lee helping out.”

Miles chuckled.

“And you’re about to add two new babies to the pile.”

Roman nodded.

“That we are.” He muttered in response. “Think we are nuts?”

Miles nodded.

“Absolutely.” He murmured.

“Jealous?” Roman asked after a minute.

“Absolutely.” Miles said again sipping from the bottle.

Roman chuckled.

“Soon be you.” He pointed out.

“Hey Lee and I haven’t even talked about babies yet.” Miles protested.

Roman gave the other man a look before heading into the utility room and sorting through the laundry.

“You wanted help this weekend?” Miles asked.

Roman stuck his head round the corner and looked at him.

“Yes, we are moving the kids into their own rooms.” He murmured. “Feel up to a little decorating?”

Miles laughed.

“Usual terms?”

“The malt is in the cupboard over there.” Roman said before heading back to the washing. “Ten dresses, Ten shirts Ten pairs of trousers. Socks underwear.” He paused and lifting up and item from the washing. “Ella Harris.” He roared out moving into the lounge.

“Yes?” she asked softly.

He took in sight of her lying back on the sofa with Lily and William curled up with her.

“Since when has Sophie?” he stopped and held up the offending item.

“She’s been wearing them for a year. That is her first proper one though.” Ella told him with a giggle.

Roman blushed.

“But she’s a little girl.” He muttered.

“Not so little if the size of that is anything to go by.” Miles pointed out un-helpfully.

“Thank you Miles.” Roman said scathingly.

“Are back to not letting them date?” Ella asked Roman hiding her chuckle.

“This is a bra.” Roman murmured. “I suppose we need to have that talk with them.”

Ella sighed.

“No I’ve already done that bit.” She murmured. “Pay attention.”

“So she knows about kissing and er… everything?”

“Hello!” Ella said pointing to the babies beside her. “They all know.”

Miles laughed and tried to hide it by taking a drink of his beer.

“Still.” Roman said holding up the bra and looking at it. “Shouldn’t this be like cotton?”

Ella gave him a look.

“Roman your daughter is 12. She wants to wear lace and be girlie.” She murmured slowly. “And I’m sure she’ll appreciate you flaunting her bra in front of Miles considering he’ll be her headmaster next year.”

Roman paled and looked at her.

“High school?” he asked.

Miles laughed and earned a glare off Roman.

“She’s growing up. So is Georgie. That’s part of the reason we’re getting them separate rooms.” She pointed out.

“Oh.” Roman said blushing. “Do I need to have that talk with Georgie?”

Ella shook her head.

“You’ve already done that too?” he asked.

Ella nodded.

“Tell me you didn’t notice that he’s taking longer in the shower now?”

“Already?” Roman asked. “That’s my boy.” He murmured proudly.

“I meant that he was being more careful about getting ready for school actually.” Ella murmured. Roman blushed and muttered something under his breath before moving back into the laundry.

“I would have made him sit down and explain the facts of life to them.” Miles said slowly.

Ella nodded.

“It might have been fun but I couldn’t have tortured the kids like that.”

Miles laughed and took another drink of his beer.

Chapter 62

“So I have to go to the airport and pick up two women and you are not even allowing me to know who they are first?" Roman muttered folding his arms.

Ella eased back on the pillows.

“I could do it.” she suggested and watched the creases line his face like clockwork as he frowned.

“Ella.” He murmured his face relaxing in a grin. “I presume they know I’m coming?” he asked.

Ella nodded slowly.

“What flight are they on?” he murmured once more leaning over and kissing her.

She chuckled.

“I thought I had impossible hormones?” she said slowly.

“Uh huh.” He grinned. “But it was the way you wriggled in the bed and let this strap fall down. Did you know you have freckles just here?” he asked her tracing his finger along her shoulder before leaning down and kissing the spot he’d pointed out.

“Ok you know we have to have sex now don’t you?” she muttered giving him a look.

Roman chuckled, his hot breath fluttering across her skin before he kissed along her shoulder more and then feasted hungrily on her neck at the same time he eased his hand underneath the covers and stroked her thigh pulling up the cotton of her nightdress.

“Mama!” Lily shouted out banging the door back on its hinges as she ran into the room.

“Hey Lily.” Ella called out sitting up straighter and pushing Roman away..

“Breakfast.” She demanded.

“Not yet.” Ella told her little girl. “Go back to bed for an hour.”

“Hour?” Roman groaned. “I was planning on doing that thing you like to do so much.”

Ella looked at Roman and gave him an innocent smile.

“The ironing?” she asked slowly.

He glared at her and shook his head before easing out of bed and pulling on his bathrobe.

“Mama up!” Lily said moving over to the bed and holding her arms up.

“Are you going to be demanding little girl? I thought we had this talk?” Ella said to her. “Mama can’t pick you up because she is having a baby like Liam.”

Lily shook her head and glared at them both.

“Liam baby. Lily baby. No more baby.” She said folding her arms.

“Are you doing Daddy arms at me Lils?” Ella asked trying not to grin as she felt Roman glaring at her again.

“Me special girl. Liam Baby. No more baby.” She said again.

“I know you are. But you are such a good sister that we thought you would like more baby’s to look after.” Ella said slowly.

“Me is good.” Lily agreed. “No more baby. Me baby.” She added the last with a pout.

Ella looked over at Roman as he began to speak.

“Remember the good old days when it was Meggy being a pain?” he asked.

Ella nodded.

“They were good days.” Ella agreed. “Why did we have more kids?” she asked him.

“Because you are just too good in bed.” Roman murmured quietly watching as she blushed and cast a frantic look at Lily who was standing near the bed stomping her foot with her arms folded across herself.

Roman leaned over and picked up Lily grinning as she glared at him before wriggling and sat her in bed next to Ella chuckling at the immediate change of expression on his daughter’s face.

“Ok Lils?” he asked.

She nodded and moved over to hug Ella.

“Mama.” She cried out. “Missed you.” She added lisping sweetly.

“Ok Lils.” Ella began. “The word is Missed and I know you can say it properly.”

Lily looked up at her before tilting her head to one side as she listened.

“And you are not a baby anymore. You are a little girl. Babies have to have nappies changed and drink out of bottles.”

Lily nodded.

“So no baby. “ She said as though she was agreeing with the statement, “Baby hard work. Mama has Lily.”

Ella smiled slowly and looked at her daughter ignoring Roman’s sudden grin.

“Yes.” She said in response. “That’s why Mama has Lily because she was so good looking after Liam.”

“Me good.” Lily agreed.

“So you can look after new baby.” Ella told her. “Because you are so good.”

Roman watched as Lily frowned looking up at Ella as she tried to figure out what was going on.

“Yes.” She lisped her S again. “Me’s good.”

Ella nodded.

“So good you can look after a baby?” she asked her.

“Yes.” Lily said thinking of Liam and then she looked up and gave her mother a glare. “No new baby.” She added.

“But you just said you were good.” Ella asked her in an innocent voice. “Are you good or bad?”

“Me good.” Lily murmured.

“So you won’t mind looking after a new baby?” Ella asked her.

Lily shook her head slowly before realising what she had agreed too,

“Mama no like.” She declared and turned to Roman. “Daddy?” she asked holding up her arms to him.

“Sorry can’t hear Lils.” Roman said trying not to laugh.

“Daddy!” she cried louder.

Roman leaned down and kissed Lily on her nose.

“You stay here with Mummy for a bit.” He instructed. “Daddy is going to Bu bu and get dressed.”

Lily pouted and folded her arms watching as Roman went into the en suite. They heard the shower come on.

“He’ll be back in a minute Lily. What does my Lily girl want for breakfast?”

“Mama make?”

Ella shook her head smiling at her stubborn daughter.

“Daddy make better breakfast than Mummy Lily squeals.”

Lily looked at her before opened her mouth.

“Lily not squeals.” She murmured.

“Not even if I tickle Lily?” Ella asked her.

Lily looked at her and began giggling. She moved closer to her mother and laughed when Ella began to tickle her.

“Mama no!” she cried out laughing.

“Lily squeals.” Ella said smiling at her.

“No tickle.” Lily cried.

Ella stopped and saw a disappointed look on Lily’s face.

“Come sit on Mama’s lap.” She told her.

Lily nodded and climbed up smiling as Ella put her arms around her.

“Lily you are my special girl and I need you to look after Liam for me.” She told her.

Lily nodded gravely.

“Me no like Liam. Liam smile.” She told her.

“So he smiled at you did he.” Ella asked understanding her daughter.

Lily nodded.

“Liam loves his Lily.”

Lily grinned broadly at this statement.

“Now Mama will be busy with the new baby she needs Lily to give Liam extra cuddles.”

“I can cuddle.” Lily told her.

“But just because Mama is busy it doesn’t mean she doesn’t love Liam or Lily ok.”

“Me loves Mama.” Lily said slowly.

“Me loves Lily too.” Ella murmured.

Lily smiled and rested her head on Ella closing her eyes.

“Lily sleeps?” Ella asked her.

Lily nodded.

“Shaw we get under the covers?” Ella said softly easing Lily down and curling herself protectively around her daughter.

“Lily take care of baby.” She mumbled.

“I know you will Lily.” Ella said herself feeling sleepy. “You are my angel.”

Roman eased out of the shower and dressed before walking through to the other room. He smiled when he caught sight of Lily fast asleep in Ella’s arms. Aside form her blonde hair and his eyes she was the exact copy of Ella. She even had freckles in the same pattern on her nose. He sat on the bed and eased down to kiss them both before slipping out of the room and down the stairs. Using a marker pen he crossed another day off the calendar. Only four remained until the wedding he thought and began to hum under his breath as he made breakfast.

Chapter 63

Roman looked at the two girls in the back of the car and sighed again. They had already asked him about a million questions and were chattering in the back seat. He eased the car into the drive and saw Nic’s car parked up. He gave a chuckle as he imagined the scene that was to come and he stopped the car turning off the engine.

They looked up and giggled as they climbed out of the car and moved into the house. He saw Ella curled up on the sofa the children dotted around the room and finally Nic sitting next to Ella. He grinned at her as they both looked up at him before he stepped to one side.

“OH MY GOD!” Nic shouted out in a high-pitched squeal jumping up from her seat.

“Nic.” Ruby cried out coming over to her.

“Annie. Ruby.” Nic cried again in the high pitched voice.

Belle came running out of the kitchen and squeaked before running over to them.

Roman was forced to watch as all four of them ran together and formed a circle hugging and jumping up and down at the same time.

“I can’t believe you’re here.” Nic cried out.

“Annie you look amazing. Ruby its good to see you.” Belle said.

“Ella asked us to be bridesmaids so we had to come.” Ruby said at the same time.

“It’s so good to see you again.” Annie cried out.

Nic turned and looked at Ella.

“You witch.” She muttered putting her hands on her waist and glaring at her. “How could you do this to me?”

Roman chuckled and moved over to sit next to Ella.

“Ok?” he asked softly.

She nodded and then grinned as Annie ran over to her and hugged her.

“It’s good to be home Adopted –mama.” She cried out.

Ella hugged her back.

“Maybe you better not stay away so long next time.” she pointed out to her.

Ruby laughed looking at Annie and then round at the others.

“Who is who?” she asked.

“Shout out names kids.” Roman said quickly.

“I’m Sophie and this is Georgie.” Sophie said quickly and felt Georgie prod her in the ribs.

“I’m Sammy.”

“Meggy, and this is Lily and William.” Meggy introduced her brother and Sister.

“Wow!” Annie murmured looking around the room.

“We also have Danni and Gabby.” Sophie added.

“Knew you would have loads.” Ruby grinned and moved over to hug Ella. “It’s so good to see you.” She cried out.

“I echo earlier comments. Don’t stay away so long next time.” Ella grinned and eased up off the sofa.

“Let’s get you a drink.” She murmured.

“I can do that.” Roman piped up standing and moving into the kitchen.

Ella watched him go and smiled.

“And food.” She added and heard Roman give a groan.

She eased back on the sofa and smiled.

“What just happened?” Annie asked.

“My Step-mama was being sneaky again.” Nic said easing down next to her. “Thank you Mum.” She added hugging Ella.

“You are welcome Daughter. When they have had a chance to settle do you and Belle want to try on Bridesmaid dresses?" she asked.

Nic looked at the others and then smiled.

“Darl?” Irene said slowly coming in through the French doors.

“Irene.” Annie and Ruby cried out running over to the other woman and hugging her.

“Sneaky.” Belle said easing down next to Nic.

“Hey!” Ella grinned at them. “You expected some thing else?”

Belle smiled feeling Nic hook her arm through hers before giving a little laugh.

“They are home.” She said slowly.

Belle nodded.

“Thanks to Ella.” She said softly.

“Told you I was having all my daughters.” Ella grinned.

“We should have been prepared for her being this sneaky you know.” Nic said slowly.

“Planning on getting me back?” Ella asked them with a grin.

“Absolutely.” They chorused.

Ella laughed and eased up off the sofa moving into the kitchen. She saw Roman throwing food together and smiled at him.

“Thank you.” She said slowly.

“You’re welcome.” He told her moving over to kiss her. “I hope you haven’t done too much.”

“I’ve been good as gold. Sophie did some laundry. Georgie vacuumed and Meggy dusted. “ she told him. “Georgie wants you to take the hoover upstairs so he can do their rooms.”

Roman smiled proudly and nodded.

“I think we have a problem.” She said softly.

Roman turned and looked at her.

“Are you ok?” he asked quickly.

She nodded and stepped towards him pressing his hand on her stomach.

“Sorry, we are fine. It’s not me it’s Sophie. She hasn’t been riding since she had the fall off Arthur.” She explained.

“She’s taking care of Princess though?” he asked.

Ella nodded.

“But she needs to be ridden and Sophie isn’t doing that.” Ella explained.

Roman gave a little nod.

“So what can we do?” he asked and saw a look on Ella’s face. “No.” he muttered.

“But you haven’t even heard what I’m going to say.” Ella pouted at him.

He shook his head.

“Doesn’t matter.” He stated.

“Ok but you are sleeping on the sofa tonight.” She told him.

“Really?” he asked with a smirk. “With your hormones?”

She grinned.

“I’m feeling a little under the weather for the next couple of months.” She explained slowly. “You’ll totally miss these hormones of mine.”

“Ella you wouldn’t do that to me!” he said before he could stop himself.

She gave him a look.

“All I was going to suggest is that I go down the stables with her later. I won’t do anything strenuous.” She told him.

“Promise?” he asked.

Ella nodded and stepped closer to him, she caught hold of his hand and placed it on her stomach and pressed it down. He looked at her and she smiled when recognition dawned.

“They are kicking.” He said excitedly.

“Been doing it all day.” She whispered. “Feel?”

He nodded unable to speak past the emotional lump in his throat.

“It’s amazing.” He gasped out finally. “Have you let the kids….” He began to ask.

She shook her head.

“I wanted you to feel first.” She explained softly.

He leaned over and kissed her feeling one of the baby’s do a big kick against his hand.

“Kinda real now isn’t it?” she asked him.

Roman nodded.

“I love you El.” He said slowly.

She smiled before lifting her free hand to his face caressing him.

“I love you.” She told him. “Always and Forever.” she added.

He pulled her into his arm and held her close.

“Sophie.” he called out quickly.

He waited a moment before their daughter walked into the kitchen.

“Yes?” she asked cautiously.

“Take your Mother for a walk.” He said equally quickly.

Ella eased back and mouthed. ’Thank you’ to him and took hold of Sophie’s hand walking through the back door and down the garden. He watched them go and concentrated on the food taking it into the lounge. He placed it on the table and looked around the room.

“Dad.” Nic called. “Did you know?”

He smiled.

“She didn’t even tell me who I was supposed to pick up at the airport.” He murmured.

Nic smiled again and stood moving over to the table. She absentmindedly took a crisp from the bowl he’d placed out and crunched it.

“I’ve let Geoff know and he and Aden are on their way over.” She explained. “Don’t worry they are bringing beer.”

Roman grinned.

“Are we making it a party then?” he asked.

Nic nodded.

“Is that ok?” she asked worriedly.

“It’s fine. She’s doing ok.” he said quietly and leaned over to kiss his daughter on her cheek.

Nic smiled.

“You seem so happy Dad.” Nic found herself saying.

Roman nodded.

“I’ve never been so happy. Or worried. Or downright scared. Mostly happy.” He confirmed.

“Ok then.” Nic murmured. “Any panic in there?”

“Seriously?” Roman asked his daughter. “Loads.”

She smiled at him and felt his hand touch her back for the briefest of moments before he moved out of the house and walked quickly to the stables. He saw Ella walking inside them and then come out again her hand closed in a fist in front of her.

“Hey.” He called out.

“Sophie is afraid that she might fall off again.” Ella said slowly.

“That right?” he asked his daughter. He watched Ella walk slowly towards Sophie and then open her hand and he gasped looking at the spider she had in the palm of her hand.

“Sometime Sophie my lovely girl we all have to confront things we are afraid off.” Ella said slowly. “I’m afraid to wear a wedding dress and have everyone look at me. I’m afraid that I really will lose these babies. I’m really afraid of spiders.”

“Mum.” Sophie gasped out looking at her.

“But if it helps you to get on your horse and ride her again then I will come out here everyday and pick up the biggest spider I can find to show you that sometimes fears have to be challenged and overcome.”

“You can’t.” Sophie gasped out.

“I can Sophie because you love Princess and you love to ride. What’s a little fear?” Ella told her moving her other hand up and letting the spider crawl over them.

Sophie looked at her before running into the stable. She led Princess out and climbed up on her bareback before riding her around the paddock.

“She’s done it you can put the spider down now.” Roman said quietly.

“I can’t.” Ella cried out. “I’m frozen.”

Roman grinned before coming over to her and removing the spider from her placing it a way away in some long grass by the side of them. He moved back to Ella and put his arms around her feeling her shake.

“Couldn’t think of a different plan?” he asked.

“It seemed to be ok when I started.” Ella murmured her teeth chattering.

Sophie moved over to them and climbed off the horse. She was smiling as she approached them.

“Thank you Mummy.” She cried launching herself at Ella.

“Love you my darling girl. And when you hit those impossible teenage years just remember that I held a spider for you.” Ella told her with a half smile.

Sophie chuckled.

“Mummy you are amazing.” Sophie said before sprinting around and leading Princess inside the stable.

Roman smiled as he watched his daughter before leading Ella back towards the house.

“Just to confirm…” he began.

“You think I’m letting you sleep anywhere else tonight with rampant spiders on the loose?” she asked him and heard his chuckle.

“See you only love me because I can take out spiders.”

“Darling I love you because you can cook too.” She grinned and leaned over to kiss him.

Chapter 64

Ella and Roman walked into the house seeing George and Irene with Annie. Nic was deep in conversation with Ruby and Belle. To one side were Jacob and Gabby with Danni. Mike was in the kitchen pouring drinks.

“I think I’ll go lay down for a bit.” Ella murmured to him.

“Ok?” he asked slowly.

She nodded.

“Just want to make sure I haven’t overdone it.” she explained slowly.

Roman grinned at her and gave her a slow kiss.

“You should see what Mummy just did.” Sophie gasped out to Georgie and Meggy. Sammy moved over to them and listened in as Sophie explained.

“Lily Liam. Mummy is going for a lay down and it’s your bedtime.” Ella explained to them. They nodded and began to follow her to the stairs

“Is she ok Darl?” Irene called out.

Roman nodded.

“She’s just being careful guys, no need to worry. Now then are we sorting out food and drinks?” he murmured.

“I’ve got beer.” Aden called coming through the door.

Geoff walked in after him and looked over at Annie. He took in the smart knee length skirt and the shoulder length bob and sighed at how grown up she seemed before grinning at her as she launched herself into his arms with an excited squeal.

“Annie Annie Annie!” he chanted spinning her around.

“Geoff!” Annie squealed excitedly.

He eased her to her feet and looked once more at her before glancing at Nic and seeing tears pouring down his wife’s face. He held out his ahdn to her and she ran over to them putting her arm around Annie and taking hold of Geoff’s hand.

“Isn’t she grown up?” she asked him.

Geoff nodded.

“And beautiful.” He murmured.

“Stop you are making me blush.” Annie cried out.

Geoff smiled at her and leaned over and kissed her cheek.

“Please tell us you are staying a while and not going back over to Japan.” Geoff siad softly.

Annie looked over at Ruby and saw her smile and nod.

“We’re home.” She said simply. “We have nowhere to live but we are back.”

“You’re staying?” Irene gasped out.

The older woman looked over at George and saw him nod before she spoke again.

“We have spare rooms.” She pointed out grinning at Roman.

“I guess my wife did a lot of plotting.” He muttered.

Aden chuckled and handed Roman a bottle of beer.

“Bringing everyone back or the amount of spare rooms she built in over there?” he asked.

“Oh both.” Roman agreed.

“Where’s Angel?” Sophie asked quickly.

“The younger ones are being looked after by Amy-belle.” Aden told her.

Sophie pouted and looked at her Dad.

“You’ll have lots of time to spend with them soon.” Roman told her.

She gave him a half smile and then sighed when he opened his arms to her and she moved over to him and put her arms around hia waist.

“Mummy is ok?” she asked. “She was so brave tonight.”

“Mummy is fine thank you for the extra stuff you did today. We would love to have Angel and the other over but it’s a school night for you.”

She nodded.

“I thought that after I asked about her and well we have the others here so that will be noisy enough.” Sophie grinned.

“Exactly.” Roman said. “And speaking of school I need you to go get ready for bed and make sure you have everything for tomorrow. Hear that Sammy, not shouting at me in the morning about your missing sports kit.”

“I only did that like three times.” Sammy said.

“Didn’t you learn after the first time?” Meggy asked her hands on her hips.

Roman bit back a chuckle and nodded towards the stairs.

“Ok then since we don’t need any food.” Meggy said dramatically.

“Which you don’t because you’ve eaten already!” Roman told her.

She gave him a grin before walking over to him and leaning up for his kiss. He did the same with Sophie and also Sammy. Georgie got his hair ruffled, having decided earlier that he was getting too old for Roman to kiss him goodnight. He watched them go up the stairs and chuckled.

“Daddy.” Nic said slowly.

“Yes Nicole?” he asked her giving her a look.

“You were never that strict with me.” She said slowly.

“That’s cuz he recognised you were a lost cause.” Aden said earning a high five from Mike before the other man handed him a beer.

“Aden Jefferies!” Nic squealed out.

“Do I have to send you both to your rooms?” Roman asked them.

Irene laughed and caught George give her a grin. She leaned over and gave him a kiss unaware that Annie the others were watching.

“So who’s that?” Annie whispered quickly.

“El’s dad.” Geoff replied. “That’s right you didn’t make it back for the wedding.”

Annie blushed and looked at Ruby.

“I think we were in Peru at the time.” she said slowly.

Ruby chuckled and moved over to them.

“Nic you look really glam.” She stated again for the fifth time.

Nic grinned.

“Yeah I look like a Mum.” She murmured smiling and feeling Geoff’s arm go around her.

“But a glam mum.” Annie said quietly. “How are my nieces and nephew.”

“They are fine.” Nic answered.

Geoff pulled out his wallet and opened it up showing a snapshot of Angel, Robbie and Mira. Ella had taken it just a few months ago.

“Wow. Angel looks just like you Nic.”

“Robbie takes after Geoff.” Nic pointed out.

“I bet Charlie is dying to see you Missy.” Irene said to Ruby looking past her and at the doorway a strange expression on her face.

“She’s on duty tonight.” Ruby said mournfully. “Otherwise she’d be round.”

“Don’t’ be so sure of that.” Charlie said from the doorway.

“Charles.” Ruby squealed running over to her sister.

“I can’t stay but we got five minutes to come out here. Someone said there was a party going on and called us in.” she said pointing to her partner, standing a little way off.

“I may have done.” Roman said grinning as they all looked at him.

Ruby laughed and ran at her sister launching herself at her.

“Ella isn’t the only sneaky one is she?” Nic asked her dad.

He smiled at his daughter before moving into the kitchen and looking in the fridge. He dragged out more food and began assembling a small buffet adding more snacks to those he’d already laid out on the table before heading for the stairs.

He walked up them ignoring the knowing look form Mike before heading to the bedroom.

“Hey.” He called softly.

“Hey yourself handsome.” Ella said sleepily.

“Did the kids go down ok?” he asked moving over to the bed.

She smiled and gestured to the two lumps beside her.

“Oh!” he murmured.

“Wanna lift them in their beds?” she asked him.

“Maybe later.” He said softly. “Seems like I woke you up.”

She shook her head.

“Just dozing. I want to come down though, don’t want to miss all the fun.”

“Hey you.” Roman said quietly. “Babies wearing you out?” he asked leaning over and kissing her.

She nodded.

“Feel so tired. Is Aden here?”

Roman nodded easing the worried look from his face with difficulty.

“Better ask him to step up.” She told him reaching for his hand. “I want him to check my blood pressure.”

“Thinks it’s a bit low?”

She nodded.

“Nothing to worry about. I’m getting my rest.” She gave him a grin. “I just want him to do it so I can keep a check on when I feel funny so I know what the signs are.”

Roman nodded.

“Seriously.” She grinned at him easing up in the bed. “Just for my peace of mind, ok.”

He leaned forward and kissed her.

“So what happened to that rule we used to have about them not sleeping with us?” he asked looking over at Lily and William.

“Uh huh.” She murmured. “I think that went out of the window when you used to have Sammy sleeping with you.”

“Yeah well it was Sammy.” Roman muttered before kissing her and easing off the bed. “I’ll send Aden up.” He promised and eased out of the room. He moved into the kids’ rooms checking on them before heading down the stairs. Walking around the room he waited for a convenient time to speak to Aden quietly sending him up to Ella.

“Hey Darl.” Irene came over to stand next to him. “Anybody told you that frowning is against the law these days.”

Roman looked at her in surprise and grinned, his face relaxing.

“That obvious huh?” he asked.

Irene nodded.

“She’ll be ok Darl.” Irene told him quietly.

Roman nodded and moved over to the table sorting through the food and selecting some snacks for himself. He took the plate over to the sofa and eased down next to Mike.

“Mum asleep?” Mike asked.

“No just resting.” Roman told him.

Mike nodded.

“Lets us know if we get too noisy and I’ll lead everyone over to the pool house.” Mike murmured gesturing with his half-empty beer bottle to the rest of the room.

“Cool.” Roman chuckled at his use of the word and then looked up as Ella moved into the room. He caught sight of her smiling and gave her a confused look. She gave him a smile and walked over to the table getting a few snacks before sitting next to Gabby. He watched her put her arm around her daughter and press a kiss to her head before handing over a dry cracker. He read her lips as she told Gabby about Ginger tea and banana milkshakes. He saw Ella give a nod and he smiled before standing and heading into the kitchen returning a few minutes later with a cup of ginger tea for Gabby.

“How did you know?” Gabby gasped out.

“I have my ways.” Roman murmured softly and reached for Ella’s hand pulling her towards him. She placed her plate on the coffee table and stood moving into his arms.

“So what were you grilling Aden about?” he asked her.

She smiled that secret smile of hers.

“Nothing. Just,” she stopped looking around the room before leaning in and whispering. “When you get kidnapped tomorrow don’t fight too hard ok?”

Roman laughed.

Chapter 65

Roman heard them approach. There were two of them. He could tell that from the aftershave they were wearing alone as they fumbled around the back garden, the scent reaching him on the down wind as they headed for where he was sitting having a quiet beer. Not at all primed by Ella to wait there in the least He sighed as he heard one of them fall over a plant pot and begin swearing. So not Mike then he thought. Although if he was that clumsy in Afghanistan it would explain why he’d had to go and get the kid out of that cave. Draining the beer he put the bottle to one side and waited for the surprise attack to begin.

“Don’t move.” One of the growled out placing something in the middle of his back he was supposed to think was some kind of weapon.

“Easy.” He said softly.

“Stand up and put your hands behind your back.” The other said.

“No problem Ad…” Roman murmured cutting off the other word before the full name slipped out.

He eased from his chair and stood slowly letting his hands fall behind his back. He felt handcuffs attached to his wrist and sighed as he remembered the last time that happened. He wondered if they knew he could get out of them. He felt something tickle his wrists and realised they were the novelty ones that were covered in fur.

“I can’t get this done up.” One growled to the other.

“Didn’t you practice on them?” Geoff asked in his normal voice.

“No!” Aden replied forgetting to disguise his voice.

“Here hold the stick.. I mean gun.” Geoff said handing it over.

Aden poked Roman in the back as Geoff fiddled with the handcuffs.

“Don’t tell me you haven’t used them before Bible boy?” Aden murmured.

“I have actually but not these particular ones.” Geoff snapped back. “I borrowed these from Ella.”

“In that case you need to click the little catch sometimes because it sticks.” Roman told them.

“Thanks.” Geoff said. “We totally suck at this kidnapping thing don’t we?”

“Pretty much. Like I couldn’t tell that was a stick and I heard you coming!” Roman said. “Out of interest where are we going so I can tell El?”

Roman heard nothing for a minute before Aden spoke.

“Its ok she knows.” He told him. “She got it out of me last night.”

“After our pledge and everything.” Geoff muttered giving Aden a push.

“She played the pregnancy card.” Aden muttered in a high pitched voice. “Dammit Man I’m a doctor.”

Roman sighed loudly, although he had a half smile on his face, not that they could see it because they put a black cloth hood over his head before leading him out and round the house.

He was placed in the back of a car and it slowly pulled away. He focused on where they were going and ignored the bickering in the front.

“I’m a doctor!” Geoff mocked.

“Well I am and she made me feel guilty.” Aden shot back.

“Made you feel something.” Geoff answered.

“I thought we put that in the past.” Aden said a note of panic entering his voice.

“Oh yeah it is so in the past when she only has to flutter her eyelashes at you and you go over there like a panting dog.” Geoff muttered.

“I can’t believe you just said that.” Aden groaned. “Its obvious she doesn’t love me. She told me ok.”

“It was just sex I suppose.”

“What the hell?” Roman bit out.

“Now you’ve done it Bible boy.” Aden said a note of real sounding panic in his voice.

“We’ll just get him drunk so he won’t remember.” Geoff said his voice slightly high pitched.

“So you think he’ll forget that Ella and I had sex just like that? My god!” Aden gave a gasp. “Like he ever ever forgot about the stupid kiss.”

“You and Ella?” Roman growled out.

“See what you’ve done now?” Geoff asked Aden. “We’re going to have to do something.”

“Like what?” Aden snapped back.

“I don’t know do I?” Geoff bit out. “Look over there. Pull up the car. We’ll stash him in that abandoned house.”

“And then what?” Aden asked.

“I’m thinking.” Geoff muttered.

“You’re thinking? Oh I’m so glad we came out tonight.”

“Shut up Aden. If it wasn’t for you being unable to keep your hands off her we wouldn’t be in this mess.”

“Yeah tell me some more about you and my wife.” Roman growled out puling at the handcuffs in the back. He felt his wrist protest as he tried to bend it to get at the little catch that would release the cuffs and bit back a curse as, well as it bloody hurt. Obviously Ella’s hands were more flexible he thought and gave a groan as the mental image of Aden and Ella shot into his head and what about the twins? He swore as he wondered about the parentage of the children she was carrying and then sighed. No Ella wouldn’t do that, she couldn’t, he thought with another groan.

They eased the car to a stop and he heard them get out. He could make out muffled words before the back door was flung open and they grabbed him.

“Walk.” Aden snarled out.

Roman took a couple of steps before he stilled and collided with Geoff in front of him. He felt the other man move and he was forced to walk again. He promised himself that when he was done he was going to kill Aden bloody Jefferies and maybe have a serious talk with Ella.

“Get moving.” Geoff said poking him in the ribs.

Roman paused his eyes narrowed as he peered downwards trying to get some idea of where he was and just where he was going in the gap the material of the hood provided deciding that he was going to add Geoff to his list when he stumbled. He felt Aden catch hold of his arm and prevent him from falling.

“Be careful we don’t want to add anymore bruises.” Geoff snapped out.

“Like they’ll even find the body.” Aden replied.

Roman took a sharp breath in before slowly releasing it in a sigh and smiling.

“I actually believed you for five minutes.” He muttered and heard both Aden and Geoff laugh.

His hood was lifted off and he looked in front of him seeing a table and chairs set up in a barn.

“Martha’s old farm?” he found himself asking as recognition dawned.

Geoff gave him a look before looking around.

“Not Martha’s anymore.” He said quietly. “She gave it to Alf and he loaned it to us for the night.”

Aden moved around the back of him and undid the handcuffs fiddling with the catch just a little before taking them off. They moved forward into the barn and saw the others moving towards them.

“Did he buy it?” Miles asked Geoff and Aden.

“For about ten minutes. I thought he was going to kill us.” Geoff murmured.

Roman nodded accepting a beer from Mike.

“Dad.” He said as he handed over the bottle.

“Hardcore.” Jacko greeted him standing next to Pete and James.

“Whose idea was it?” Roman said grinning.

“Mine.” Miles said. “And well… we had help.”

Mike moved over to the stereo and switched on the music before heading to the table where a couple packs of cards and poker chips were laid out.

“I recognised the handcuffs.” Roman said before he could stop himself and heard a murmur of chuckles from the group.

“Maybe Ella suggested a few things.”

“I was going to come and get you but having been punched by you before I decided to send in…”Jacko paused before speaking again. “The clowns.”

Aden and Geoff looked at each other and laughed before taking some beers for themselves and sitting at the table.

“And I still want to marry her because?” Roman said looking up at the ceiling of the barn.

“Because she is so damned good in bed.” Aden supplied earning a look off Roman and hearing Mike groan.

“That is my mother you know.” He muttered.

Aden laughed and looked over at Roman.

“We were planning to take you into the city and well do stuff there but with Ella pregnant we decided that you would prefer to be closer.”

Roman nodded and felt Mike put his hand on his shoulder.

“The girls are with Mum tonight too. Not much of a hen night for her but they should have a good time anyway.” He explained.

“Thanks guys.” Roman said tilting his beer in a salute to them.

“We do have one thing though.” Jacko said catching Miles’ eye and seeing the other man nod.

“What?” Roman said cautiously.

“Take off your shirt.” Pete instructed.

“My shirt?”

Geoff nodded.

“I understand that we were given and instruction from Ella and well we can’t obey it.”

“Yeah this has to be done.” Aden said with feeling and felt Geoff grinning at him.

Roman gave them all a look before standing easily form the table and taking off his shirt.

Pete nodded and stepped forward placing the transfer on his skin pressing down. Mike brought out a bowl of water and a sponge. They covered the transfer and pressed it flat against his skin before peeling the backing away and leaving a temporary tattoo there.

“Property of Ella?” Roman asked reading the upside down letters over his heart and tried not to smirk at the apt words.

“We couldn’t think of a nicer tattoo for you.” Mike grinned at him.

“Are we drinking or talking like Sheila’s?” Alf asked walking towards them with Tony having just arrived.

“Drinking!” Jacko muttered handing round a tray of whiskey’s as Mike cleared the table ready for the poker game to start.

Chapter 66

“Oh my god!” Roman gasped breathing heavily. “Did I hurt you?”

Ella shook her head slowly.

“Kinda squishing me now though.” She said after a minute.

“I didn’t hurt you or the babies.”

“No we are good. Speaking for myself I’m exceptionally good.” She gave him a smile and reached up to touch his face.

“But I ..” he stopped and looked down into her eyes.

“Ravished me?” she asked grinning at him.

“Practically raped you.” He sneered, rolling over to his side of the bed and putting his arm up over his eyes.

“Roman I didn’t say no.” Ella pointed out. “In fact No is quite a long way from what I said.” she gave him a smile and saw his expression. “Hey!” she cried out rolling over and trying to touch his face to draw his attention to her. “What is it?” she asked him frowning as he flinched away from her.

“I hurt you. Forced you.” He groaned. “Shouldn’t have done it.”

“Roman Harris.” Ella muttered leaning up and dragging his arm away from his face. “You didn’t. Maybe it was a bit different from the way we are normally with each other but it was fine ok. If I said no you would have stopped. I didn’t say no. In fact.” She stopped as she blushed bright red. “I enjoyed it. I always enjoy it when you lose control.”

“Really?” he asked and if she didn’t know better she would say that he sounded hopeful.

Ella nodded.

“I love it. I always have.” She whispered. “There is a bit that get confused sometimes.” She shrugged. “But I know the difference.” She added quietly. “So no, it wasn’t that.”

Roman leaned up and kissed her before putting his hands on her face and tangled his fingers in the long stands of hair that framed her face.

“Really?” he asked double-double checking.

Ella gave him a smile.

“I love you.” She whispered before leaning down and kissing him. “Now tell me why you felt the need to pin me to the bed and take me?”

“I did didn’t I?” he asked suddenly sounding proud of himself.

Ella giggled.

“Yes, you came in carried me up the stairs, over your shoulder I might add, and threw me on the bed. Pinning me down and taking me without barely a kiss.” She murmured her finger tracing the muscles in his arm.

“Are you starting something woman?” he growled at her loving the way she giggled back at him. “Because I’m worn out.”

“Really?” Ella asked leaning forward and blowing across his skin. She giggled again as she watched goose bumps rise on his flesh.

He gave another growl and rolled them over until he was leaning over her. He leaned down and kissed her slowly.

“Are you sure I didn’t hurt you?” he asked after a moment.

“No we are fine. Feel?” she asked moving his hand to her stomach.

“You are starting to show already.” He commented before giving a little gasp as the babies kicked his hand. “Wow.” He added.

Easing down on the bed he pressed his lips to her stomach.

“I love this.” He said slowly. “This exciting curve.”

He heard her give a little sigh and knew she was thinking about the scars she had.

“This is amazing.” He said slowly tracing his finger along one mark. “My babies came out of here.” He added leaning forward and kissing the white mark on her skin. He ran his finger along the now faint mark where Gardy had cut her and felt her flinch.

“This one. Well this one is a mark of bravery. All you had to endure because you loved me.” He said quietly. “If I get a hundred cuts on my skin it will never mach up to this.” He blew across it before kissing the length of the scar. Finally his fingers felt the small puckered scar from when she was stabbed. “And this one.” He said with awe in his voice. “This one is wonderful. Holding on to me when this was done. I’m in awe of this one.” He whispered once more before kissing the small puckered mark.

He moved down her legs grinning at the way she lifted her knee letting his fingers trace the small area on the back of it that made her give a little gasp.

“I love that.” He told her. “The little sound you make when I touch you here.” He demonstrated and heard her sigh again.

“Yeah yeah.” She said mockingly. “Just lets hear you when you get to my ankles!”

He gazed up into her face and smiled even as a blush covered his cheeks. He eased down and traced the inside of her ankle hearing a little gasp from her before lowering his lips to her leg and kissing her ankle. He moved once more kissing her thigh before his breath fanned her woman core as he bent his head to taste her femininity.

“Stop!” She moaned, her hands clutching at the sheets as she arched on the bed.

He stopped and looked up at her before moving to rest between her legs feeling them part for him.

“Now why can’t I kiss you there?” he asked slowly. “It’s not because you don’t enjoy it, now?”

She gave a little laugh and lifted her lips to his, yearning for his kiss.

“Answer me.” He said slowly before teasing her lips with light gentle kisses.

“You know I like it.” she admitted at last. “But its not as good for me as when you are inside me.” She said slowly. “I love feeling you fill me.”

Roman sighed before wrapping his hands in her hair and leaning forward kissing her again and again. He felt her hands touch him in turn and he smiled as he continued to kiss her.

“I love that.” He told her softly.

“What?” she murmured.

“Feeling your hands on me. So unsure sometimes.”

Ella gazed into his eyes and sighed as she returned his kiss.

“I love feeling your skin, your muscles, the way you move.” She admitted.

He gave her a look before rolling them over until she was lying on top of him the pale cream sheets wrapped around them.

“I used to be scared of you touching me.” He told her. “Scared I was making you do stuff before you were ready.”

Ella continued to meet his gaze, saying nothing just letting him speak.

“Scared that you would lose that innocence.” He added imploring her with his intense gaze not to retreat into that hurt place she went sometimes when she was reminded of what Gardy did to her.

“But?” she asked him.

“It’s still there every time you touch me like that” he confessed. “I’m glad I didn’t take that away from you.” He added.

“Why would you think that?” she asked puzzled.

“Because of us making love when you were so young and had been through so much.” He told her. “You wanted to wait and I tried. I really tried but I loved you El, I really loved you and I wanted you so much.”

She looked into his eyes before kissing him again.

“I wanted you too.” She confessed in a husky whisper. “I knew what I was doing when we made love.”

“You did indeed.” He told her in a primitive voice.

“Hey!” she murmured before catching his gaze and grinning.

“I don’t know how to explain it. You loved me with your body. Each time we held each other or kissed or other stuff.”

“Other stuff?” she questioned raising her eyebrow as she looked at him.

“Ok other stuff.” He said. “When you used your hands on me. Then when you kissed me all over.”

Ella giggled.

“Finished embarrassing me?” he asked with another mock growl.

“I loved all that. Exploring you and seeing what you liked.” She told him after a moment once again becoming serious. “And of course it turned me on.” She added.

Roman laughed before kissing her once more.

“Its making love.” He told her. “I know we call it sex but each time I’m with you even if we aren’t doing so good otherwise, it’s still making love.”

Ella nodded.

“That’s why it is so good.” She told him. “That’s why when you carry me up the stairs and ravish me I know that I can trust you.”

He gave a sigh.

“Did you know what they had planned tonight?” he asked her finally.

She shook her head.

“Just the kidnapping and the change of location, why?” she asked him.

“Because Aden and Geoff were joking around about..” he stopped and looked deep into her eyes. “About Aden having sex with you.” He said eventually.

“Ok.” she said stilling and easing away from him.

“Ella.” He called her name.

“I need the bathroom.” She told him after a minute.

He let her ease from the bed and watched as she pulled her bathrobe on and moved into the en suite.

“Don’t be long.” He murmured as the door shut.

He stood from the bed and straightened the covers picking up the nightdress he’d pulled off her earlier giving a little sigh when he saw the broken strap. He folded it up and put it to one side taking out a clean one from the drawer and leaving it on her side of the bed before getting in. He left his light on and settled down waiting for her. Minutes passed before she joined him in the bedroom and he felt her pull on the nightdress as she sat on the bed.

“El.” He said quietly.

“Stop using sex to keep me.” She told him quietly. “You don’t own me Roman. You don’t own my body.”

He wanted to turn around and confront her, to deny it but he knew that would be a lie. He’d once more used her reaction to him to force her to submit.

“And as for Aden and Geoff I will be speaking to them.” she added before climbing into the bed.

He bit back a sigh before he felt her press herself close to him.

“El?” he asked quietly.

“I love you.” She said also quietly.

He spun around and pulled her into his arms.

“God I was scared.” He admitted.

“Bloody should be.” She muttered and felt him kiss the top of her head. “I don’t care how jealous you get I’m your wife and I’m” she stopped and he felt her shiver in his arms.

“El.” He said quickly.

“Cold.”

“Have you eaten?” he asked her.

“Yes.” She nodded.

He pulled up the covers and wrapped her close to his body.

She looked up at him.

“Why can’t you trust me?” she asked slowly.

“I do trust you.” Roman said.

“But you came home and did that?”

He nodded.

“Yes. I came home and made passionate love to my wife, so passionate that I got scared that maybe it went a bit far. But I didn’t ask you about Aden. I didn’t need too.”

“But you believed him?”

Roman nodded.

“For about five minutes and yes I was angry.”

“Angry enough to come home and…”

“Ella.” He gasped out. “No. I admit it I wanted you desperately and yes maybe without the Aden thing I might have been more gentle or taken more time but I needed you.”

“Why?” She asked him.

“Because I love you and I wanted to make love to you and I needed you. Because I wanted to feel you with me making love to me.” He said. “I wanted you.”

“Wanted me to what?” Ella asked him.

”To make love to me.” Roman bit out feeling defensive. “I wanted you so desperately not because I had the image of you and Aden for a few minutes. Not because I was trying to prove that I could pleasure you but because I wanted to feel you move under me just like that and I wanted your hands on me and I wanted your kisses.”

Ella sighed, her lips pressed against his neck.

“These kisses?” she asked pressing her lips against his.

“Yes.” He whispered before rolling them over in the bed.

Chapter 67

Roman smiled as Ella walked towards him.

“Hey Sleepy.” He called softly.

“And If I’m sleepy who’s fault is that?” Ella asked him smiling back at him. He patted the sofa next to him and grinned as she came and sat not close to him but easing on his lap. His arms automatically went around her and she chuckled as she felt his hand touch her stomach.

“We set a record last night.” She whispered close to his ear.

Roman blushed.

“That would explain why I’m exhausted too.” He grinned at her before he lowered his lips to hers and kissed her.

“Maybe if we got to sleep before 6am that would have helped?” she said still grinning.

“Are you ok?” he asked her.

She nodded.

“Thank you for letting me sleep but now I need to panic a little.”

Roman chuckled.

“All you have to do is pack what you need for the hotel tonight.” He told her. “Nic is in charge of the bridesmaid dresses. Belle is in charge of the flowers. Danni and Gabby are taking care of the little ones.” He explained quietly. “At the risk of being slapped is the wedding dress ok? I mean.” He stopped and looked down.

Ella nodded.

“It’s fine and Rachel said I could wear ..” she stopped and blushed.

“El?” he asked.

She leaned in and whispered once more close to his ear.

“I have a corset. It’s my something old.” She explained.

He eased back and gave her a look.

“Really? Can I see?” he murmured.

She gave a nod and stood leading him up the stairs and back to the bedroom. He saw the bed neatly made and her wedding dress still in it’s protective bag laid on the bed with numerous other bits and pieces.

“Uh huh.” He murmured.

“Shut up.” She grouched.

“Are you a little bit excited wife?” he asked softly.

Ella gave him a slow hesitant nod causing him to smile broadly.

“I’m glad.” He murmured and eased her into his arms holding her close.

“I love you.” She sighed as he kissed her once more.

“I love you.” He responded.

She eased away and moved over to the bed taking hold of a tissue wrapped item from where she’d placed it and slowly unwrapped it.

“Ok I’m so going to need to take a shower.” He said to her and watched as she blushed.

“It’s ok?” she asked him.

“Oh its very ok. I can’t wait to see it on you.” He said softly in that husky voice of his.

Ella looked up at him and saw the light in his eyes blushing some more.

“It’s old.” She said quietly.

“I can tell. When did you buy this?” he asked looking at the cream lace and the delicate pearls and embroidery.

She placed the ribboned and boned corset once more in the tissue paper and looked at him before placing it next to the silk stockings she had.

“er.. I can’t remember exactly. I’ve had it a while but never worn it.” she murmured.

“El.” Roman said sitting down on the bed.

“Ok I bought it in England.” She whispered.

“Then it sounds perfect that you wear it tomorrow.” He grinned.

“How is that? I thought you’d be mad.” She muttered pulling out a suitcase and beginning to pack.

“Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t you like to wear that stuff when you know I’m around to take it off you?” he asked trying not to grin at the wash of colour across her face as she nodded. “So you were thinking of me even though you had divorced me.”

Ella groaned at how smug he sounded.

“And what about you mister, and that wedding ring?” she muttered.

He looked at his hand.

“Yeah we might have a problem with that tomorrow I have an aversion to taking it off.” He admitted.

Ella chuckled and looked down checking the rest of the suitcase. She added her shoe box to the top before collecting her make up and toiletries.

“There.” she said slowly.

Roman smiled.

“Where are the children? Don’t tell me you got them to school this morning?”

He gave her a grin.

“You’re Dad and Irene has them.” he confessed giving her a guilty look. “I er.. overslept this morning.” He admitted.

Ella chuckled.

“I can’t think why you were so tired.” She murmured carefully hanging up her dress on the outside of the wardrobe.

“Oh really? Maybe it has something to do with my wife who woke me up by using her mouth to give me……”

Ella rushed over to him and placed her hand over his mouth.

“Sh.” She said hurriedly. “You know when you say embarrassing things we get overheard.” She muttered.

“In our bedroom?” he asked.

She nodded.

“You know it happens anywhere.” She said and saw him lift an eyebrow.

“It does indeed.” He agreed.

“I wasn’t talking about sex.” She groaned.

Roman chuckled and eased back on the bed pulling her to lie with him on top of the covers sighing when she pressed herself close to him and rested her head on his shoulder.

“So last night you woke me up by…”

“Roman Harris.” She muttered.

“It was pretty hot.” He told her.

“Is that your way of asking me to do it again?” she murmured and heard him chuckle once more.

“Yes please.” He murmured. “How are you feeling?”

“I’m fine honestly.” She whispered.

“And er last night?” he began. “Are you ok? With the Aden stuff too?”

“I’m fine. We’re fine.” She said putting his hand on her stomach. “And we are fine.” She added softly her finger tracing the ring on his hand.

He leaned down and kissed her feeling really happy.

“But Aden and Geoff are going to get a talking to.” She promised.

Roman laughed and eased back on the pillows closing his eyes.

“I need to do so much.” He muttered.

“Such as?”

“Check the boys suits and make sure Sammy has a spare shirt. Take the cake to the hotel. Take you to the hotel. Check Sammy hasn’t already spilt something on his spare shirt. Stop Meggy shouting that’s she going to be a bridesmaid to random people. Polish my shoes. Check that my family have arrived. Double-check the Chaplain. Make time to tell my woman how beautiful she is, oh and get married.”

Ella nodded.

“That is some list.” She commented. “I made sure Sammy has spare shirts yesterday. Already ironed. Georgie polished everyone’s shoes last night. The cake you can drop off when you deliver me to the hotel.” She said quietly.

“So that leaves my family, the Chaplain, and gagging Meggy.” He said and heard her cough.

Grinning he moved on the bed and leaned down.

“Oh and my woman is really beautiful and I can’t wait to kiss her and hold her as my wife again. I really want to see her in that dress.” He said quietly with so much feeling in the words before kissing her once more. He felt her hands wind around his neck and groaned against her lips.

“What’s the matter?” she asked him.

“Well I don’t have time or the energy to make love to you again.” He muttered. “And well you should really be taking it easy I already feel guilty enough about last night.”

Ella giggled against his lips.

“Are you sure you don’t have the energy? After all this is your last day as a free man. “ she told him softly.

“I think you have it the wrong way round.” Roman said slowly. “You are supposed to wear me out on the honeymoon.”

Ella giggled once more and moved over on the bed pulling him down beside her. He gave a groan against her lips before his hands roamed over her body.

“Knock knock.” George called out loudly outside the door before he knocked on the door itself.

“Are you sure about this Darl.”

“Irene you read the letter.” George said a note of anger in his voice.

Ella moved off the bed and over to the door fussing with her clothes.

“What’s up Daddy?” she asked him seeing his frown.

“I need to talk to my daughter alone.” He told them.

Ella caught Roman looking at her and she nodded. He moved off the bed himself and came over to the door pressing a kiss to Ella’s cheek before easing down the stairs.

“Where are the kids?” he asked Irene as she moved in front of him.

“With Mike.” Ella heard her say.

She eased to one side and led her father into the room sitting on the bed before he sat in front of her.

“I had some stuff sent out of my storage unit.” He began.

Ella nodded.

“Ok.” she said quietly. “Daddy you know I’m ok don’t you?” she said quickly to him. “Because you are kind of scaring me right now.”

“I’m scaring myself El.” He told her before handing over an envelope. “I’ve already read it.”

Ella looked down on the pale cream paper and saw her mothers handwriting and paled as reaction went through her.

“Mummy?” she said slowly unaware of the wistful note in her voice.

George nodded.

“She wanted you to have it on your wedding day.” He murmured. “You need to read it Ella.”

Elal nodded.

“Does Roman know?” she asked.

“I found it a half hour ago Princess.”

Ella nodded once more and turned the envelope over seeing the open flap at the back. She opened it up and drew out the letter slowly, gasping as she smelt her mother’s perfume on the paper.

“I know.” George said with understanding.

She gave him a look before opening the folded pages and looking at the black ink on them her eyes unfocused for a moment before she realised that she had tears in them. She began to read.

“Elizabeth,

I know that this letter comes out of the blue and maybe you don’t want to read it but I hope you do. I’ve been a hateful mother and you have every right not to want to do anything I ask of you but please read these words.

There is nothing for it except to start at the beginning. Your father, the biological one that is raped me and when you and your sister were born I hated you for the first few months because of it. George loved you both and that made it worse but it wasn’t until your sister died that I really began you resent you. I’m sorry. I’ve been blunt here, Elizabeth you had a twin sister and her name was Daisy. She died when you were 2. We wanted you and Michael never to know about her because we didn’t want you to grieve. Probably a mistake but then I made so many of them that I lost count in the end.

I used to look at you with your big blue eyes and hate you. There was always something that would remind me of the terrible night you were conceived and of your biological dad and I would lose my temper and hit you. I’m sorry for that. I’m sorry for every blue mark on your skin that I caused and for taking away your childhood. It was unfair of me to blame you. It was evil of me to take out my pain on my lovely little girl.

But then I’ve done so much worse things to you. When you were 8 I think you saw me with one of my many lovers and you said you would tell your father. I remember losing my temper and, well you know exactly what I did Elizabeth and you never cried even all the time I was hitting you and kicking, you never shed a tear. You told me you would never cry again and I believed you. And it goes on. That solider of yours rang every day and I told him you were out. Sometimes for spite I told him you were with a boyfriend, not that you ever had any of them. I think my evil ways rubbed off on you. How many men did you see me with over the years little girl? And yet you never judged me.

And now for the worst confession ever. I took your babies from you. They are out there somewhere. But I didn’t do it out of spite no matter what you think. Elizabeth you were very ill when you came home and I placed you in a hospice. They didn’t know if you would live or die and I thought that if you died it would be a just punishment for me. I would never have my baby girl back, she’d never forgive me. Well …”

Ella stopped reading and looked up.

“Daddy?” she whispered.

He continued to meet her gaze before giving a small moan as Ella vaulted off the bed and ran out of the room clutching the pages to her. She ran down the stairs and straight to Roman.

“Ella my god what is it?” he gasped out and saw her clutch at her stomach. “No oh god no.” he moaned.

“Read this.” She gasped handing it to him. “You rang every day.” She added in a whisper.

Suddenly he understood and nodded moving closer towards her.

“Every day.” He said softly. He straightened out the pages and moved with Ella over to the sofa sitting her next to him and putting his arm around her as he began to read.

“Well anyway you delivered the babies and I reluctantly handed them over to the hospice to find new homes for them. I gave them each a teddy bear from you and hoped that one day you would find them. You were so ill Elizabeth that you didn’t even know where you were or who I was. I nursed you for weeks until I grew too ill to do it and all the time you called for Roman. I’m sorry that I wasn’t able to care for you and the two babies because I know that you will be a better Mum than I ever was.

So anyway I’m writing this because I am ill my brave girl. I know that I’ve got a matter of months left and I know that I won’t see you grow up. I won’t see you on your wedding day. I won’t be there to see you with children and maybe after taking the babies away from you I don’t deserve too. But I wanted to let you know that in spite of everything you are the best and bravest person I know, I’m proud of you now so I know I will be proud of you when you are grown. I love you Ella. (Yes I know that’s what he calls you.) and above all else I’m sorry for being such a lousy mother I hope one day you can forgive me and that you can accept, despite all the cruel stuff I did, that inside I loved you very much.

Love your mother, xx

PS I hope you don’t hate me too much for taking the cowards way out but I didn’t want to burden you or you father.

“Ella.” Roman said quietly.

“We have another baby out there.” she gasped out.

“I know but more than that.” He stopped and looked at her. “She loved you and she said sorry.”

She nodded once more before the tears began to fall.

“It’s time to let her go.” He said slowly.

Ella nodded.

“Daddy.” She called out.

George reluctantly moved over to her.

“I’m sorry.” He told her quietly.

“All this guilt we carried Daddy. I thought she killed herself because of me.” She said quietly wiping at her tears.

“I know Princess. We both misunderstood her.”

“Did you know about her other men?” she asked him and saw him nod.

“Your mother and I weren’t intimate for a long time Ella and she needed to prove that she was still an attractive woman.” He explained slowly smiling up at Irene as she moved to his side.

“How did you cope?” Ella muttered a slight tinge of embarrassment on her face.

“I was never unfaithful if that’s what you are asking. I just closed off that part of me and anyway you and Michael were the most important things in my life.”

Ella looked at Roman and then her father.

“Thank you for giving us the letter Daddy I know it won’t have been easy for you.” Ella murmured to him.

“I hate this Ella. I know that we weren’t taking for a number of years so every time something happens I’m scared.” He said stopping as he felt Irene moving to take hold of his hand.

“That isn’t going to happen again Daddy. The kids love you and I love you. Please don’t upset yourself ok.”

He nodded.

“I love you Princess.” He told her emotionally.

He stood and with Irene moved out of the house.

“Ella?” Roman asked.

“I’m fine ok.” she told him. “But well I could do with you holding me for a few years.”

“Babies?” he asked her.

She nodded.

“They are ok.”

“You scared me.” He whispered before easing on to the sofa and pulling her to lie on top of him his arms tight around her.

“Junior and 2 kicked hard.” She explained.

He nodded kissing her slowly.

“So you called.” she said with a grin.

“Every day I had a chance too.” He told her. “She kept saying you were out.”

“I wasn’t I was waiting for you.”

He nodded holding her close.

“We going to tell Gabby?” he asked.

“We have to.” She whispered. “Can Pete find my other baby?”

“I hope so.” He told her.

Chapter 68

“Ok?” Roman asked her after a time.

Ella nodded and looked up at him.

“I guess we know why I never used to cry.” She whispered touching the pages of the letter slowly.

Roman nodded moving back against the cushions once more and keeping his arm around her.

“Its good to know she didn’t take the children out of spite however misguided she was.” He told her.

Ella sighed.

“Children.” She murmured.

“I suppose I should be smug that I’ve father three sets of twins now.” He said quietly and chuckled at her fierce look.

“You can be smug all you want.” She said slowly. “But just you wait until I go into labour.”

Roman grinned and leaned over to kiss her feeling her put her arms around him and cling to him for a brief moment.

“It will be ok.” he promised her. “And we are getting married tomorrow.”

She smiled.

“I can’t believe she said sorry.” Ella said mournfully before she began crying. “All the times she hurt me and I thought she hated me.”

“El honey, you know yourself there is a fine line between love and hate.” He said softly. “To be reminded everyday of the most horrible event.” He gave a shrug. “It obviously made her into what she was.”

“But I couldn’t have done that to Meggy.” Ella gasped out.

“I know.” He told her wiping her tears away.

“She loved me.” Ella murmured to him. “In spite of everything she loved me and wanted me to forgive her.”

He nodded giving her the space to work this through her head as she tried to come to terms with the contents of the letter.

She looked at him again and leaned forward.

“Thank you.” She said softly.

“You know if I could go back I would do things different don’t you?” he asked her.

“How?” she grinned at him.

“Oh I would have come home and found you.” He said quickly. “Even if I had to go awol.”

Ella gave a little gasp and kissed him again.

“You would have done that for me? Given up everything?”

He nodded.

“I’ve thought about it. Especially since we found Gabby.” He said.

“Oh my husband.” Ella said quietly and moved to sit in his lap holding him tight to her.

“Ella.” He whispered kissing her once more. “It’s ok to grieve for your mother now.”

“I’ve grieved.” She said frowning at him.

“Ok.” he agreed with her.

“Don’t ‘ok’ me like that.” She muttered easing away.

He gave a small chuckle and watched as she eased off his lap and stood up.

“I’m going to check on my dad.” She announced.

“Don’t be long I need to get you to the hotel soon.” He pointed out.

Ell gave a small sigh and looked over at him.

“Aren’t you supposed to be nagging me about doing too much? It’s just that you haven’t done that for two days now and I’m starting to miss it.”

“Are you being cheeky?” he muttered looking at her.

She gave him another look and smiled before easing out fo the door and over to the pool house climbing up the steps to the upstairs apartment.

“Come in.” Irene called at her knock. “Hey.” She added casting a frantic look at George.

“What’s the matter have I called at a bad time. I wanted to check on you.” Ella said feeling strangely unwelcome.

“Darl.” Irene said and eased back letting her into the room.

“Come on over.” George instructed.

Ella took a cautious step forward before walking over to where he was seated, a frown on her face as the scent of violets drifted around the room. She gave her Dad another look before sitting on the cane sofa opposite him.

“Ella.” He began.

“Dad?” she asked and looked at the box in front of him. He pulled out a teddy bear and placed it in front of her.

“Daisy.” She gasped out.

He nodded.

“This is spooky. That’s exactly what your Dad just said.” Irene muttered coming to sit next to her on the sofa.

“I must have missed having my sister around because I called the bear Daisy.” Ella said slowly. “Dad what is this?”

“A box your mother put together before she died.” He told her. “She wanted you to have it.”

Ella nodded and looked as he took out her mother’s jewellery box handing it over to her.

“I smell her perfume.” She said. “Its like I can turn my head and I will see her.”

Irene nodded and put her hand in the middle of Ella’s back, rubbing soothing circles.

Ella opened up the box and looked inside seeing her mother’s things lying on a bed of cream velvet. She touched earrings and necklaces before taking out the golden wedding band.

“Ok, I’m about to cry.” She announced.

“Not yet Princess.” He cautioned his daughter. He took out an envelope and placed in it her hands watching as she opened it.

“Oh wow.” She gasped reading the papers.

“She wanted you to find the babies.” He told her. “She put a photo album in here too. It’s got pictures of you and Daisy and Michael.”

Ella nodded unable to speak for a long moment.

“These papers will give us a good place to start looking.” She whispered fingering the address on the adoption certificates.

“I think that’s what she intended.” He told her gently.

“Thank you Daddy.” Ella gave him a smile. “I came over to check that you were ok.”

George nodded.

“I can’t deny it’s bringing back a lot of memories Ella but I have Irene here and she’s.” he paused looking at his wife. “The best thing that has happened in my life since you let me back into your life.”

Ella smiled at the other woman.

“You are pretty wonderful step-mama.” Ella told the older woman.

“Get away with you both before I start blubbing.” She muttered.

Ella gave her a grin before leaning over and kissing her on her cheek.

“I better go that man of mine is eager to get me to the hotel.” She said quietly. “Can you take this to the house and put ti in our bedroom?” she asked her father.

“Of course I can.” He told her watching as she stood the information about the adoptions clutched to her.

She eased out of there and walked slowly down the steps watching as Roman waited for her on the veranda at the back of the house. She walked over to him and smiled handing over the envelope.

He took it from her and read the information.

“Ok.” he said.

“There is other stuff as well.” She smiled up at him. “I think my mother loved me.”

Roman nodded and eased her into his arms holding her.

“Ready to go?” he asked after a time.

“What about the kids?” she muttered. “I haven’t seen them today.”

“Are you delaying going to the hotel for a reason?” he asked quickly.

“You mean aside from I don’t like it and it’s where Chris stayed? No, not really.” She gave him a look from under her lashes and smiled when Roman glared at her.

“Ella.” He muttered.

“Hey are we going to argue before we get married?” she asked.

“Probably.” He muttered. “At this rate anyway.”

She gave him another look before catching sight of the children walking in through the door easing away form Roman and moving over to them.

“Mummy.” Sophie gasped out. “We’ve been to see the church and the flowers look so lovely.”

“Really Sophie?” Ella asked giving her daughter a hug.

“Mama cuddle.” Lily lisped putting her thumb in her mouth.

“What’s the matter little girl?” she asked her.

“Up?” she murmured lifting her hands.

Ella shook her head and knelt down in front of her sighing when Lily launched herself at her.

“Oh we may have let slip that you are having twins.” Mike said walking into the room and earning another glare off Lily.

“That right my girl?” Ella asked her.

“Mama babies.” Lily said slowly. “Not baby.”

Ella nodded.

“Sorry Lily my girl but I’m having two babies.” She grinned. “Just like Sophie and Georgie.”

Lily looked up and over at Sophie before giving a slow smile.

“Ok,” she grinned turning and running over to William.

“Problem solved just like that?” Mike asked her.

“Supposedly.” Ella said holding her hand out to him.

He helped her up ginning at her as she automatically put her free hand in the middle of her back.

“Mummy I’m really excited.” Meggy burst out with.

“I know you are.” Ella chuckled.

“Hotel.” Roman said softly.

“Fine.” Ella muttered. “Apparently I have to got to the hotel.” She murmured to them.

Meggy nodded.

“Nic and Danni are bringing us over tomorrow.” She told her mother. “All our dresses are sorted,”

Ella looked around at them before turning to Roman.

“Ok take my things to the car,” she muttered.

“Finally.” He said with a mock groan, grinning as she glared at him.

He kissed her on his way past up to the bedroom bringing down her suitcase and wedding dress in its protective cover placing it in the back of the car before making a second trip to the pantry to collect the cake boxes. He placed them carefully in the back and turned waiting for her.

“Ok?” he asked softly.

She nodded and he caught sight of her biting her lip as she left the children to collect her handbag and moved to the door.

“See you tomorrow Mummy.” Meggy cried out.

“Bye.” Ella said trying not to let them see that she was getting upset. She let Roman guide her to the car and climbed inside. He gave her a look before setting off.

“You’ll be seeing them all in the morning.” He told her.

“I know.” She whispered. “But it feels horrible.”

“El.” He groaned as he saw the tears on her face.

“It’s alright just hormones.” She muttered dashing them away with the back of her hand.

He reached out and put his hand on her knee.

“Is that your way of telling me you want more sex to make you feel better?” he said.

“Ouf!” she gasped.

“Is that a no?” he asked.

“I hate you.” She muttered folding her arms across herself.

Roman looked at her before easing the car to a halt outside the hotel the journey seeming to last only minutes.

“Ok?” he asked again looking at her.

She nodded.

“Its been emotional.” She said slowly.

“If you really don’t want to be here El I’ll take you home right now.”

She shook her head.

“And spoil your plans?” she asked with a quick smile.

He grinned once more and guided her inside.

Chapter 69

Ella sighed when she walked into the room and saw the four poster bed with cream curtains around it. She took in the vase of flowers on the dressing table knowing they were a mirror of what she was to see the following day. She sighed once more when she wandered into the opulent bathroom and saw a basket of her favourite toiletries on the side. Her hand reached out and touched the fluffy towel before she turned and moved back to the bedroom watching as the porter hung up her wedding dress in the wardrobe.

“Would madam like anything else?” he asked her.

“No thanks.” Ella gave him a grin and watched as Roman tipped the man before he left the room.

“Ok?” Roman asked.

“This is amazing.” She whispered overawed. “It’s a fairy tale Princess type of room isn’t it.”

Roman nodded.

“And we have it booked for tomorrow night.” He said with a grin.

Ella blushed and glanced over at him under her lashes.

“Mr Romantic.” She said softly. “I’m pretty sure you warned me you didn’t do romance.”

He nodded.

“Don’t expect me to do this romance stuff all the time Ella.” He cautioned her moving over to sit on the edge of the bed smiling as she automatically sat next to him. “I just want you to have the wedding day you deserve ok,”

She gave a slow nod.

“I still don’t want this.” She said. “The getting married bit, yeah that’s kind of important to me but being up there, centre of attention it’s terrifying.” She admitted.

Roman nodded.

“I know.” He told her.

Leaning down he placed a gentle kiss to her lips before placing his finger under her chin and lifting her face to his so that he could look into her sapphire blue eyes. He read the unhappiness in them and sighed.

“El.” He murmured.

“Maybe if we had some sex I would feel better?” she suggested and heard him chuckle immediately.

“No not until we are married.” He told her. “I’m saving myself.”

Ella glared at him for a fast minute before she was convulsed by giggles and they both fell back on the bed laughing.

“Thank you.” She whispered slowly after they had sobered.

“For?” he murmured leaning over and stroking her hair back from her face.

“For showing our girls that romance is important and that they should be respected.” She told him.

“Is that what I’m doing?” he asked her.

She nodded.

“And proving to our boys that they can still be heroes like daddy but do the soppy stuff.”

Roman gave her a grin.

“Then thank you for letting me do this stuff. I need to go.” He added. “Got to check on things.”

She gave him a look.

“I’m going to treat myself to a bath.” She said slowly.

“Not too hot.” He cautioned before he could stop himself.

She gave him a look before reaching up and kissing his cheek.

“We are fine.” She told him pulling his hand to her stomach.

“Wow are they like that all the time?”

Ella nodded.

“Pretty much!”

He grinned as he felt the flutter of movement across her skin and bending his head he lifted her top and pressed his lips to her belly.

“I love you so much.” He told her passionately. “I never want to lose you again.”

She nodded unable to speak past the clog of tears in the back of her throat wrapping her arms around him instead and just holding him.

“I really have to go.” He told her after a few minutes.

“I know.” She whispered. “Just another minute though.”

“It’s going to be ok you know.” He promised. “We are going to have a wonderful day tomorrow and a fantastic honeymoon. And we are going to find our other child. These twins are going to drive you insane when they are born and we are going to wish we never had kids and then we are going to spend the rest of our lives being so sappily in love that no-one ever visits us anymore.”

“Well that sounds charming.” She grinned at him.

He nodded before standing up and tugging her hand to stand next to him.

“But I do like the idea of being in love with you for the next twenty years or so.” She grinned.

“Oh just twenty?”

She nodded wrapping her arms around his neck.

“Then it might be my turn to do something sappily romantic.”

Roman chuckled before kissing her. He eased away slowly and moved to the door smiling as he felt her hand stroke his back.

“I know you love this.” She grinned cheekily.

“I do. It feels amazing and gentle and loving and reminds me of all the times I thought we’d lost one another but then you’d do this and I knew that we were still in love.”

“Roman Harris are you trying to make me cry.” She grouched. “Go on, get out of here.”

He turned around and kissed her.

“Love you.” He whispered against her lips before he wrapped his arms around her and dipped her in an old fashioned Hollywood style kiss feeling her sigh into him before she placed her hands around his neck and kissed him back passionately.

“Wow.” She whispered when he’d released her.

He gave her a look and winked before going out of the door leaving her standing looking on as the door closed.

Ella moved over to the wardrobe and took out the wedding dress looking at it carefully before hanging it back up. She unpacked the suitcase taking out the tissue wrapped corset, her something old, the silk stockings, her something new. A lacy garter with blue ribbon threaded prettily through it, her something blue and finally the pearl bracelet loaned to her by Rachel, her something borrowed.

Placing them carefully in the drawers of the dresser she moved into the bathroom and started running a bath adding a generous measure of her bath foam before swirling around in the water. The scent rose up with a hint of steam and she smiled at the familiar jasmine fragrance. She turned off the taps and stepped through to the bedroom taking off her clothes and leaving them on the bed before donning the hotel’s bathrobe before sitting on the bed and picking up the room service menu.

Roman walked into the house seeing chaos reigning. He was tempted to head back to the hotel but stood in the middle of the lounge with Meggy and Sophie chasing each other. Lily and Liam were watching Finding Nemo with the sound turned up loud. Georgie and Sammy were playing twister shouting at each other above the sound of the tv and Mike was standing in the kitchen trying to make sandwiches.

He placed his fingers in his mouth and whistled loudly until they looked at him and stopped what they were doing.

“Lily turn down the tv.” He instructed.

She held up the remote and he took it from her turning down the volume before placing the remote on a shelf she couldn't reach yet.

“Meggy Sophie upstairs to your rooms and put your pyjama on. Same with you and Sammy.” he turned and told Georgie. He paused as they continued to look at him. “Now or you won’t go to the wedding tomorrow.” He added in a soft tone of voice almost laughing as they hurried out of the room. He heard then start arguing again as they climbed the stairs and moved to stand near the bottom.

“And I don’t have to tell you to do it quietly do I?” he shouted out hearing them lapse into silence immediately.

“Ok how did you do that?” Mike asked him looking stressed.

“Jacko taught me.” Roman murmured. “Apparently they do the same thing with new recruits.”

Mike laughed.

“Mum?” he asked after a moment.

Roman nodded.

“You think I know anything about Kids?” Roman murmured still smiling.

“Of course I don’t. Just look at Nic.” Mike said softly.

“Hey!” Nic cried out from near the door.

“Her perfume?” Roman asked quietly.

“That and I knew immediately I said anything she would be there.”

Roman chuckled.

“See what I have to put up with?” Nic turned and spoke to Danni standing behind her. “And you still want to marry it!”

“Well not really but it’s a bit hard to back out now.” Danni said giving Mike her sweetest smile.

Mike looked at her and moved back to the sandwiches cutting the crusts of Lily’s and placing the small shapes on the plastic plate before moving into the lounge with them.

“Hey Nic.” Roman greeted her.

“Ella like the hotel room?” she asked.

Roman gave a quick nod.

“I’m having second thoughts about leaving her there actually.” He said unaware that he felt like that until the words came out of his mouth.

“She’ll be fine and it’s only a half hour away.” Nic told him quietly.

Roman nodded.

“So what are you doing?” he said slowly moving over to the counter and absentmindedly making more sandwiches.

Danni and Nic exchanged a look before Nic walked over to him and put her hand in the small of his back.

“Would it help if we checked on her?” she asked him.

Roman looked down at his hands and stilled them.

“No it’s ok. I’m just nervous.” He admitted with a quick flash of his grin.

“Really?” Danni blurted. “But you’ve been married years.”

“Thank you Danni.” Roman murmured his tone sardonic. “But this is different. “

“Dad?” Nic said slowly.

“If Ella decides that she doesn’t want to marry me.” He said to them.

“Oh come on. She loves you.” Mike said from the archway. “How can you possibly think she wouldn’t want to marry you?”

“Because at the end of the day Mike, all I’ve ever done is cause her pain.” Roman explained. “And she may decide that standing in front of everyone and repeating vows she knows are not always kept is not something she is prepared to do.”

Mike nodded accepting the words before moving over to Roman.

“Then again you may decide not to turn up.” He pointed out.

Roman looked at him and nodded.

“Know what I hate most about your mother?” he asked.

Mike grinned.

“That she knows you so well?” Mike asked him.

Roman shook his head.

“No, that she let you learn how to talk.” He said softly.

Nic burst out laughing.

Archived