A Summer Bay Wedding II

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 41

Roman rolled over in the bed and sighed before coming awake. He looked around the room gloom as his eyes adjusted to the pre-dawn light. The moment that he took to focus he used listening to the baby monitor. Silence and no Ella. He frowned kicking off the covers he always found slightly oppressive but knew that Ella preferred them and eased up from the bed. He pulled on his bathrobe and padded silently through the also silent house. Checking in the nursery he saw that Ella wasn’t in there, and moved down the stairs where he saw a light on in the kitchen and went there first.

“El.” He murmured her name watching as she looked up from the mixing bowl for a second before focusing once more on what she was doing. “What are we cooking?” he asked.

“Cake.” She muttered not letting her eyes stray from the batter in the bowl.

“Ok but its like 3am.” He pointed out.

“It’s 3.26.” she replied. “The first one should be done in a minute.”

“Ella.” He called out her full name. “What is going on?”

She looked up then and placed the bowl flat on the top.

“I’m making cakes.” She told him.

“Yes I can see that but why?” he asked puzzled.

“Because we don’t have any.” She replied moving to the oven stepping past him. She opened the oven door and looked at the cake before nodding and reaching for the oven gloves to lift it out.

Despite his puzzlement he smiled as he saw his favourite cake coming out of the oven. She placed it on the top before loosening the cake from around the tin and pressing it out to cool on the wire rack nearby.

He stepped forward then and caught hold of her arms.

“Ella Harris. Stop and talk to me.” He murmured softly trying to maintain eye contact with her. She kept her gaze averted.

“I’m fine.” She muttered. “Everything is fine.”

“If everything is fine why are you up in the middle of night cooking cakes?” he asked.

“Because we don’t have any.” She repeated her earlier answer.

Roman sighed and looked at her.

“Fine.” He murmured.

She pulled away and looked in the bowl before adding cherries to the mixture and slowly stirring them in.

“Want me to prepare a tin?” he asked.

Ella nodded and dipped a small spoon into the bowl before she tasted the cake. She reached for the cherry brandy and added a slug of the fiery alcohol before stirring and tasting again.

He watched with interest as she poured the cake into the tin he’d prepared and then put it in the oven. She turned the temperature down slightly and glanced at her watch before moving to the worktop and clearing away.

Roman gave a small sigh before making himself a coffee. He had to put up with her giving him a fierce glare as he got in her way before he took the drink through to the lounge.

“Ella Harris.” He barked out.

She moved through the archway and looked at him.

“Want to explain why we have.” He paused and looked in one of the food containers on the table. “Sausage rolls, pies, quiches, scotch eggs.”

She looked at him.

“Because Gabby needs an engagement party.” She murmured.

“And you are catering it single handed?” he replied. “What happened to BBQ or takeaway?”

He folded his arms across his chest.

“I don’t want her to marry him.” she said eventually.

“Ok.” he told her. “Want to tell me why?” he asked her gently.

“Because Chris will never go away.” She responded. “He’ll always be there. And he wants something. He never does anything without a reason.”

“So that is why you are downstairs in the middle of the night baking?” he asked her.

She sank down in a chair opposite him.

“I couldn’t sleep.” She murmured. “So I thought I would watch tv and there was nothing on. So I thought I would do something instead.”

“Ok.” he said reasonably.

Mike walked in through the door dressing in a navy bathrobe. He placed the flour on the top and looked at Roman.

“I see you’ve been introduced to the madness that is my mother when she can’t sleep.” He said grumpily.

“And you couldn’t warn me before we married?” Roman shot back.

Mike grinned and sat at the table.

“Mum.” He said quietly. ”Is it Chris?” he asked.

She nodded.

“He had a vasectomy.” She began.

“Ok, that is a little bit too much information there.” Roman muttered and unconsciously crossed his legs.

“But he told me that he wanted to try for a baby.” She continued as though he hadn’t spoken.

“Oh Mum.” Mike sighed. “What a creep.” He added.

“So wait, you thought he wanted to have a baby with you but he was lying?” Roman asked.

Ella nodded a tear falling down her face.

“I’m going to kill him.” Roman muttered before he could stop himself.

“I don’t think that will help.” Mike said with a grin.

Ella looked at them both before standing and moving back into the kitchen.

“I’ve never known her to …”

“Spend all night cooking?” Mike finished his sentence and saw Roman nod. “The last time she did this was the night before we headed to Summer Bay the fist time. “

“Hang on. What is the comparison here?” Roman bit out.

“Facing her past.” Mike told him with a grin. “She needs to come to terms with what Chris did to her because he’s still going to hang around now that Gabby is marrying Jacob.”

Roman grimaced and stood moving into the kitchen. He took the spoon and the bowl out of her hands and pulled her into his arms.

“Love you,” he said quietly. “Can you do those little pasty things I like? “ he requested kissing the end of her nose.

He turned and moved away to the stairs heading back to bed.

Mike grinned as he watched him go.

“He’s giving you a lot more space than he ever did.” He commented.

Ella turned and glared at her son.

“Pass me the flour.” She instructed.

He chuckled and reached for the pack he had been ordered to bring across and placed it next to her.

“Did you happen to make any of those cheese straw thingys?”

She nodded and pointed to the table.

He grinned and walked over to the table opening containers until he found them. He took a couple and munched on one before closing the lid.

“Are you going to tell Gabby?” he asked.

Ella looked at him.

“I can’t. She deserves to be happy after everything she’s been through.” She commented.

“So do we have more nights like this to look forward too?” he grinned as he sneaked into the container and puled out a couple more cheese straws to eat.

“No.” she said frowning at him.

“Hey.” He gasped out.

“Stop looking at them.” she muttered knowing what he’d found.

“Its..” he stopped and looked at her. “Wedding cake.” He muttered.

“Yes and it’s for my wedding. You know since your Dad and I have barely even sat down to work out anything recently.” She said folding her arms.

“Well ..” he stopped and looked at her again. “You have venue don’t you?”

“Geoff’s church followed by the Sands hotel for the reception.” She said and wrinkled her nose up as she said the Sands.

“Not liking the hotel?” he asked.

She shook her head.

“I want the beach. You know big Marquee and dance floor, like we did at Nic’s party.”

“Have you told him?” he asked.

“Your Dad wants everything wedding-ly. Fancy hotel and big reception.” She murmured quietly.

“So what are you going to do about it?” he asked her.

“Compromise.” She muttered with a groan.

“That’s not working so well for you is it?” he asked watching her pick up a bowl and start mixing ingredients again.

“I’ll be fine and your dad will be happy.” She muttered.

“Uh huh.” Mike said. “I’ll leave you to it. Are we having a party this weekend?”

“To celebrate your engagements.” Ella told him. “Jacko is bringing everyone from the city and your granddad is finally going to make it for the weekend.”

“What about Nate?” Mike murmured. “Have we heard from him?”

Ella gave a half nod.

“He’ll be here for the wedding with Suzy and little Taylor and the twins.” She said softly.

“Did you ever think we would have so much family around us Mum?” he asked her.

She shook her head.

“You know that I would have been happy if I just had you don’t you?” she asked him gently.

Mike smiled over at his mother before moving to press a kiss to the top of her head.

“I know.” He told her. “But I wouldn’t have been happy, you deserve this. A lovely home filled with lots of kids.”

“And six cats, two horses, two rabbits and a guinea pig.” She added.

He chuckled before walking over to the door. “Good night Mother.” He called heading back to his own house.

Ella looked round at the table and tops before stepping over to the oven and taking out the cherry cake. She placed it on the cooling rack before turning her hand to the little pasties that Roman had requested. Really there was nothing to this cooking business provided you paid attention. She frowned for a second her eyes straying guiltily to the bin in the corner where the remains of two cakes lay undiscovered by the two men. Although she was sure if you just cut the burnt bits off it would have tasted ok.

Later.

“Hey you.” Roman called out, seeing her walk into the diner with Lily one side and William the other.

“Hi, got time for a chat?” she asked leaning over the counter and pressing a kiss to his lips.

He grinned.

“Yeah, give me five?” he asked after glancing back at the kitchen.

She nodded and ushered the children over to a table sitting them carefully on the padded seat.

“Hello little ones.” Colleen called moving to the table.

Lily looked at her and lifted her hand to her mouth and then in a big circle making a smacking sound.

“Leen.” She called out the other woman’s name.

“Hello Lily girl. What have you been doing?” Colleen asked her.

“Sparkles.” Lily said to her. “Pretties.”

“We’ve been looking at accessories for the wedding.” Ella confessed explaining what Lily meant.

“Soon be here.” Colleen said softly.

“I know. Did you get your invite?” she asked.

Colleen nodded, her cheeks colouring.

“Good.” Ella said quietly.

“Madge Wilkins was a little put out she didn’t get hers.”

Ella smiled. “Well it is only family and special friends.” She explained and watched as Colleen beamed.

“Now then dearies what can I get you?”

“Banana milkshake.” Ella said before thinking about it.

Colleen looked at her and then the children before looking over at Roman.

“Something you want to share with us?” she asked slowly.

“Yes.” Ella said slowly. “As you know they settle my stomach and with all the wedding stuff I’ve been getting butterflies.”

“Oh well yes.” Colleen said. “And for the little ones?”

“Lily do you want a drink?” Ella asked her daughter.

“Juice please.” Lily lisped.

“And you William?” Ella asked her son.

“Milkshake.” He lisped.

“Narna?” she asked him and he nodded putting his thumb in his mouth.

“Two banana milkshakes and an orange juice.” She told Colleen and watched the other woman move away. Roman brought out the drinks after a minute moving to sit next to her. He handed Lily and William a biscuit each while he watched Ella pour their drinks into beakers and hand them over.

“So what did you want to talk about?” he asked her.

“I don’t want the Sands for the reception.” She blurted out. "I don't like it."

Roman frowned at her.

“And where do you want the reception” he asked slowly.

“On the beach.” She muttered. "Like Nic's party that time," she added biting her lip and looking over at him.

“Oh for pity’s sake. We’ve sent the invitations out now.” He muttered.

Ella looked at him seeing the frown he gave her. “Well thanks for listening.” She told him.

He shot her a look at her tone let alone the muttered words. He wanted to marry her again? Did he not learn his lesson all the other times he thought with a grin at his own thoughts. “Fine.” He muttered in response and folding his arms.

“Daddy arms.” Lily called out.

Ella looked at her daughter before looking back at Roman and burst out laughing.

“Thank you Lily.” He said softly. “and who has been teaching her stuff?” he added.

“And to think you laughed at me…”

“Yes I know.” Roman murmured. “Back to the discussion.”

“Look I know we paid a deposit but I really don’t want the hotel. It’s too impersonal.” She tried to explain. "Too clinical."

“A non refundable deposit.” He shot back. “it is just the impersonality aspect?”

Ella took a drink of her shake and looked at him.

“Yes.” She said eventually.

“Right I’ll sort that but we are keeping the Sands.”

“I knew you wouldn’t listen.” She muttered slamming her empty glass back on to the table.

Roman gave her a look.

“We paid a deposit Ella. And with two more weddings around the corner we can’t afford to waste money.”

“Well its my money.” She snapped back. “Come on kids we need to go home.”

Roman reached out and caught hold of her arm.

“Didn’t take you long to throw that one at me.” He said keeping his voice calm. “We will finish this discussion later.”

“The discussion as you call it is over.” Ella sneered at him. “You want the Sands you’ve got the Sands.”

He watched as she got up form the table and looked at Lily and William.

“Mama mad?” Lily asked.

“No babes Mama needs a nap.” She told her daughter gently. “Does Lily need naps?”

Lily nodded.

“Come on then sweets.” She called out.

Lily and William climbed off the seat and moved over to Roman to hug him before following Ella out of the diner.

“Have they gone?” Leah called out coming out of the kitchen.

Roman nodded.

“Been a while since they visited you at work.” She chattered on not noticing that he was frowning.

“Leah.” He muttered after a minute.

“Yeah?” she said.

“I need to go buy some wedding magazines I'll be back later.” He announced and stood up moving out of the diner.

Leah looked at him and smiled before heading back into the kitchen.

“She had banana milkshake.” Colleen announced standing next to her.

“Really?” Leah asked and watched the other woman nod. “Probably doesn’t mean anything. She had a bad time with William.”

Colleen nodded again.

“Probably means nothing.” Colleen agreed moving out of the kitchen.

Leah grinned.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 42

Ella settled the children down for their nap and eased out of the nursery and into the bedroom. She kicked off her shoes and sat on the edge of the bed when her phone rang. Cursing silently she looked at the display before answering it cautiously.

“Chris.”

“Lizzie, I’m back in town can we meet?”

“I can’t I’ve got the kids.” She muttered. “Busy you know.”

“Lizzie,” he adopted a cajoling tone that had always irritated her.

“Chris why do you assume that I can just drop everything and cater to your whim?” she muttered and glared at a spot on the wall.

“Because we need to talk about our kids Lizzie.” He said softly unaware just how much he was annoying her by calling her Lizzie.

“Fine where are you?” she asked.

“I’m staying at the sands.”

“Brilliant.” She muttered sarcastically. “Look if I can get away I’ll meet you there.” she said and hung up. “Can this day get any worse?” she asked herself falling backwards on the bed. She lay there for a minute before getting up and moving to the en suite. A few minutes under the hot water had her feeling more awake and she dressed quickly in black trousers and a cream blouse before she went in search of suitable baby-sitters.

“What’s up?” Mike asked looking up from his text book.

She glanced around the lounge area of the pool house and groaned.

“Couldn’t you at least tidy up?” she asked.

He gave her a look.

“I’m assuming that you want a favour and you are over here nagging me?” he said slowly. “It’s Danni’s turn to clean this week.” He added and looked around himself before grimacing. “Ok point taken.” He added and jumped up to clear away some of the dirty pots.

“Chris wants to talk about the kids so I have to go see him.” she began.

“Are you sure that is wise Mum?”

“Need to see what he wants.” She said with a shrug.

He made another couple of trips before stacking the dishwasher and setting it on. Coming back out with vacuum.

“He’ll want money as per usual.” Mike told her. “Remember when he tried to convince me to part with my trust fund.”

Ella nodded.

“That’s what I think too but without hearing him out I don’t know.” She murmured. “So can you watch the little ones?”

He nodded and picked up his workbooks following her over to the main house. He dumped the books on the table and accepted the baby monitor placing it next to them.

“You be careful Mum.” He cautioned.

She nodded and pressed a kiss to the top of his head before grabbing one of her designer handbags that Nic had not managed to talk her out of and headed out the door.

She climbed easily behind the wheel of her car and set off heading to the Sands hotel.

Roman flicked through the magazine again and smiled. He looked up and saw the manager heading his way.

“Mr Harris.”

“That’s correct.” Roman said.

“And you are here to discuss a booking?” he confirmed.

Roman nodded.

“I was wondering if I could look again at the room we are going to be in?” he asked calmly.

The manager gave a small nod and led him through to the ballroom. Roman took in the large French windows that opened up on a veranda and the tables set up around the room.

He took a few steps into the room and looked again at his magazine.

“Is there something we can do for you?” the manager asked.

“Yes.” Roman said quietly. “Our colour scheme is Yellow. So we would want Cream and Gold table service.” He began.

The hotel manager looked at him and nodded before taking out a notebook and pen from his pocket and began to make notes.

“Anything else?” he asked cordially.

Roman gave a nod.

“Do you have candelabras?” he asked.

“I believe that we do.”

“Ok I want the long table at the end of the room with the food laid out to have candles on it, with candelabras on each round table. I’ll have the flowers delivered in. “ Roman told the other man. He flicked open the magazine and showed him a picture of what he was trying to explain.

“Ah, I see.” The manager murmured. “Perhaps I could take this to the office after we have spoken and make a copy?”

Roman nodded.

“We have summer curtains in cream we usually swap to.” The manager explained gesturing at the windows that were festooned with burgundy and gold curtains. “We could put those up?”

“That would be good.” Roman said slowly.

He turned a couple of pages in the magazine and looked at another couple of pictures.

“Do you do table confetti?” he asked.

The manager gave him a look before smiling.

“We do.” He murmured.

“I would like the tables decorated with confetti. What is the dinner service like?” Roman asked before looking again at the picture. He caught sight of something and grinned, making a note to speak to Nic later.

“We have a choice of patterns. I would recommend the cream one. It has a gold boarder and will fit in with the scheme you have chosen.”

“Thank you I think that is about everything.” Roman decided.

“Shall we go to the office then?” he asked.

Roman nodded and followed the other man through the hotel.

“Ok Chris what did you want?” Ella asked him sitting on the barstool next to the other.

“Well it seems that our kids are going to get further than we did.”” He told her.

Ella refrained from commenting and instead looked around the bar.

“Let me get you a drink?” he offered.

“Not for me I’m driving.” Ella said quickly.

He gave her a look.

“Still a prude Liz? I remember the time I brought those joints home and you flipped out.”

Ella sighed feeling the now familiar hint of anger that went through her whenever she was in his company let alone thought of him.

“You brought drugs into our home where my son was.” She bit out. “This is a mistake.” She muttered standing up.

Chris reached out and caught hold of her wrist.

“Lizzie.” He said softly. “Look I have drink for you.” He added.

Ella looked at the glass and then him.

“Non-alcoholic?” she asked.

He nodded.

“Fine I’ll be back in a minute.” She said.

He let go of her wrist and watched as she walked over to the toilets at the end of the room. He reached into his pocket and took out a little packet. He opened it and took out a couple of tablets surreptitiously placing one in her drink and stirring it round with the coloured straw.

He took a drink from his own glass as he waited for her to come back.

She moved back through the bar unconsciously dragging her feet wanting this to be over. Any good feelings she had for Chris had disappeared when she found out how manipulative he was. She still didn’t think that his being here in Summer Bay was a co-incidence.

“Cheers.” Chris murmured after she sat back on the stool next to him.

Ella gave him a look and picked up her drink taking a swallow of it. She gave it a quizzical look and took another drink before placing the glass on the bar top.

“I know you don’t trust me. You have every right.” Chris began.

Ella looked at him and tried to focus on what he was saying but she felt a strange lethargy entering her limbs. Turning she picked up her glass and took another drink hoping that the lemonade would clear the bitter taste she had in the back of her throat.

“What did you do to me?” she asked him slurring her words.

“Just something to relax you.” He said smiling at her.

She reached out to hit him her movements uncoordinated. He caught her easily and eased her off the stool helping her over to the bank of elevators along the far wall. He assisted her inside and pressed the button for his floor.

“How long will it take them to miss you Lizzie? Long enough for that husband of yours to think you’ve been unfaithful, eh?” he said softly in her ear.

She gave him a look of hatred and pushed at him uselessly her handbag falling to the floor. He scooped it up and held it in his other hand.

.”Walk.” he instructed when the door opened on his floor.

“I can’t.” she moaned feeling sick. “What did you give me?” she muttered her voice still slurred.

He turned to her and lifted her up in his arms carrying her to his room. He had to let her down while he took his card key from his pocket and swiped it through the slot in the in the electronic key lock. The door clicked and he turned the handle opening it before lifting her inside. He dropped her on the bed chucking her handbag on the sofa before moving over to the door and closing it. He slide the key card in the slot by the door and put one of the lights on moving back over to the bed.

“now then shall I make you more comfortable?” he asked leaning over her and reaching out to undo the buttons on her blouse.

She tried to reach up and slap him but her arms wouldn’t move and she groaned.

“Funny thing about muscle relaxants. They come in all strengths.” He said slowly.

She gave him another hate filled glare unable to stop him when he undid her blouse and looked at her.

“Nice. Those babies have barely changed your figure little Lizzie. Perhaps you really will be unfaithful.” He said running his figure down her cleavage.

“No!” she screamed forcing the word out of numb lips.

Chris laughed.

“And how are you going to stop me?” he asked with subtle menace reaching for the waistband of her trousers and leaning over to kiss her.

She opened her mouth letting him do what he wanted for a brief moment before biting his lip.

“Bitch.” He gasped out touching his fingers to it. He saw the splash of crimson on his fingertips and moved away to the bathroom to look in the mirror at the cut.

Ella forced herself to move trying to get off the bed.

“What’s up?” Roman asked answering his phone walking through the lobby of the hotel. He headed to his car and paused when he heard Mike speak next

“It’s Mum she went to meet Mike an hour ago and I’m getting worried.” Mike muttered looking over at the babies as they watched cartoons.

“Where was she meeting him?” Roman asked quickly.

“The Sands.” Mike said quickly.

Roman let out a laugh.

“I’m close by.” He said. “I’ll go check up on her.”

“Dad.” Mike began.

“Ring round and check someone is collecting the kids.” He instructed hanging up the phone and turning back around. He walked through the lobby and over to the bar. He stood there a moment waiting until the barman came over to him.

“Hey.” He said quickly.

“What can I get you?” the barman asked.

“I’m looking for my wife I was supposed to meet her and Chris here but I seem to have missed them.” he said with a smile.

“Chris was in here a while ago. “ he confirmed. “I think he was with someone, long dark hair blue eyes.”

“Sounds like her.” Roman confirmed.

“I think she was a bit unwell he had to help her out.”

Roman kept his face neutral as he asked the next question.

“Did you see where they went?” He murmured.

“To the elevators.” The barman muttered.

Roman lowered his head a fraction before murmuring his thanks and heading over to the reception desk.

“Chris Smith’s room?” he asked.

“Sorry sir, we can’t give the information out.” the receptionist murmured.

Roman nodded.

“Can you call his room for me?” he asked. “Let him know I’m waiting for him.”

“Certainly sir.” She confirmed.

He watched her dial the number of his room in the reflection of the glass behind her.

“On second thoughts I’ll give him a call.” He told her.

She gave him a look before hanging up the phone and he smiled at her moving away and making it look as though he was making a call. He watched her look away before he walked over to the bank of elevators and pressed the button. Doors slid open immediately and he stepped inside pressing the button for the third floor. He waited while the doors opened on the floor stepping off and looking at the numbers on the doors before he found Chris’ room.

“Maintenance.” He called out knocking on the door. “Sorry for the disturbance we need to check this room.”

Chris moved to the door from the bathroom and threw it open before he realised.

“What the hell do you think you are doing?” he gasped out.

Roman looked over at Ella on the bed and bit back a swearword.

“Roman.” She called out and finally got herself to move falling off the bed.

He shouldered his way past Chris and ran over to her lifting her up.

“What did you give her?” he bit out.

Chris stuttered.

Roman turned and looked at him before striding over the other man and grabbing hold of him by his shirt. He pinned him against the wall and looked inot his eyes.

“What did you give her? She’s pregnant you bastard!” he bit out once more resisting the urge to pulverise the other man and ask questions later.

“A muscle relaxant.” Chris stuttered.

He dropped his hold on the other man and turned, he spotted her bag on the sofa picking it up walking over to the bed He lifted her in his arms and carried her out of the room. He held her close carrying her all the way out to his car past a few startled people in the lobby. Seating her safely in the car he made a call to Rachel telling her he was bringing Ella in.

Chapter 43

“Any idea what was given to her?” Rachel asked.

Roman shook his head.

“He just said muscle relaxants.” He murmured holding Ella’s hand as she lay on the narrow hospital bed.

“Ok we’re going to take some blood and run some tests.” Rachel said calmly.

Ella blinked up at them unable to speak.

“It’s ok El.” Roman said quietly.

He followed Rachel out of the room and closed the door quietly.

“Well?” he asked. “Will she loose the baby?”

Rachel shook her head.

“Sorry I can’t give you guarantees. We need to find out what it was. Obviously the pregnancy is at risk until then.” She said slowly.

Roman nodded and moved back into the room. He walked over to the bed and took hold of her hand feeling her give his hand a gentle squeeze.

“Hey.” He murmured.

“Stop looking so worried.” She said softly.

“So what was he doing El?” Roman asked her.

He saw her face pale and swore.

“We need to let Gabby know what he’s capable off.” He said eventually.

“No!” Ella said. “I’m fine ok. She can’t know. It’ll upset her.”

“And what about if he’d succeeded?” he asked her anger once more in his voice.

“I would have dealt with it.” she murmured.

He was about to say something when the door swung open and Rachel walked back in. She placed a small dish on the bedside table pulling out syringe. She rubbed a spot on Ella’s arm before inserting the needle.

“Sorry.” She said when Ella flinched.

“S’Ok.” Ella said sleepily.

“There all done. Now we should have the results in the next hour.” Rachel said quietly.

“Want home.” Ella murmured.

“I know but we need to keep you in until we get the results.”

Ella nodded and closed her eyes.

“Go home. Kids.” Ella instructed pulling her hand out of his grip.

Rachel looked at Roman and grinned.

“I think it would be good if you left.” Rachel told him.

He gave a slow nod and pressed a kiss to Ella’s lips before moving out the room with Rachel.

“Want to tell me what else went on?” Rachel asked after a moment passed.

Roman shook his head but spoke anyway.

“He was going to…” he stopped.

“Chris?” Rachel asked glancing back at the door to Ella’s room.

He nodded.

“I take it she doesn’t want to report it.” Rachel said slowly.

“If she does then it will affect Gabby. She’s engaged to Jacob, Chris’ son.” Roman explained slowly.

Rachel gave a slow nod her dark curls falling on to her face.

“I can see the dilemma.” She said softly. “Ella wanted you to go check on the children. Let her sleep some of this off. “ she advised.

Roman gave a nod himself and headed out of the hospital. He drove home slowly and climbed out of his car walking into the house.

“Dad?” Mike said quickly.

“I’ll talk to you later. Are my kids doing homework?” he asked and saw Meggy race over to the table and sit down again.

He gave his daughter a smile and walked through to the kitchen taking out a bottle of whiskey and pouring a measure into a glass. He sipped it slowly before putting the bottle away and reaching for the coffee pouring out a big cup and walking through to the lounge.

“Where is Mummy?” Sophie asked.

“She’s gone to see Rachel.” He said quickly improvising.

“Ok.” Sophie said not noticing Mike looking at her Dad.

“What do we want for dinner tonight?” he asked keeping his tone normal.

“Can we have cheese on toast?” Meggy asked quickly.

“Sounds good. How about toasted sandwiches and salads?” he asked and saw them nod. “Perhaps as a treat Gabby and Danni could take you to the diner for them?” Mike suggested.

Roman chuckled as they got excited and jumped up from the table.

“Ok then.” Gabby said. “Let’s go.” She added.

Danni and Gabby led them out through the door.

“Ok they are gone.” Mike said after a minute.

“He gave her drugs and took her back to his room. I found them before anything happened but..” he stopped,

“Bastard.” Mike ground out. “I take it she doesn’t want Gabby to find out?”

Roman inclined his head and drained the cup.

“Will the baby be ok?” Mike asked after a moment.

“Rachel couldn’t give me any guarantees.” Roman said slowly.

“Where were you? You must have been pretty close to get there as quick as you did.” Mike said after a minute.

“I was in the lobby when you called.” he began.

“My god you weren’t following her?” Mike burst out with a laugh.

Roman gave him a look before heading out to his car. He grabbed the wedding magazine and took it through to the lounge

“Here.” He said handing it over open at the correct page.

“Er…” Mike said looking at it. “I suppose I have this to look forward too.” He mused as he scanned the image. “I take it she finally told you that she didn’t like the Sands.”

“She told you?” Roman muttered.

Mike nodded.

“Last night. She only agreed to it because of you.”

Roman grimaced.

“Well I’ve made a few changes. We’ll get different china and they are going to do cream and white. With Gold to tie in the theme.” He muttered feeling embarrassed.

“I think he will like that.” Mike said with a nod.

“Well I still need some help. I need those diamante things to scatter on the table and some Ribbon in the same shade as the dresses.” Roman tilted his head to one side. “And I said I would get the flowers.” He added.

Mike chuckled.

“Sounds like a job for the best man.” He said quickly.

“Or the son of the bride.” Roman pointed out.

“Has Mum mentioned favours?” Mike asked and saw Roman raise his eyebrow. ”No party favours. They get given to guests.” He flicked though a few pages in the magazine until he saw an article about them and showed that to Roman.

“In that case, no.” Roman said and grinned when Mike blushed.

He took the magazine back and read the page before moving back into the kitchen and pouring out another coffee.

“You’re very restrained.” Mike told him leaning against the archway and looking at the other man,

“If I punch him it won’t do your mother any good and she wants to keep it from Gabby.” He said slowly.

“You’re only thinking of punching him?” Mike asked with a grin.

“Didn’t want to make you an accessory before the fact.” Roman told him.

Mike laughed.

“Still might be worth a visit?” he asked and watched as Roman shook his head.

“No your Mum will need to do it.”

“Ok who are you and what have you done with the real Roman?” Mike muttered folding his arms.

Roman chuckled.

“I’ve not changed I just realised what I lost when she left. Made me look at how she’d changed to be with me. That wasn’t fair of me because I just accepted it. Made me determined to do things different this time.”

“So that is why you want the wedding.” Mike gave a nod. “Cool.”

“Does it make sense?” Roman asked after a moment.

Mike grinned.

“Does to me. I’m sure when Mum figures it out she’ll be a little grumpy and then things will be fine.”

“Your mother is already a little grumpy with me.” Roman chuckled. “I had to have some tests done and I didn’t tell her straight away.”

“Dad, what?” Mike asked taking a step forward.

“I thought I was ill but it’s just a cyst. They are going to operate and take it out.” Roman told him quickly.

“God!” Mike exclaimed. “And she didn’t kill you already?” he asked.

He took a step forward and put his arms around the other man smiling as he felt Roman hug him back.

“I’m ok, son.” Roman told him gently.

“Really?” Mike asked double-checking.

“Yes.” Roman answered. “And if I wasn’t you think your mother would have let me come home from the clinic?”

Mike chuckled and eased back.

“Still a bit confused. You said she woke up and told you to come home. Well if she was asleep in the car then you were already coming home.” Mike said frowning.

Roman coughed and eased away.

“We were…” he stopped as the front door opened and the kids came back in.

Mike laughed.

“Somewhere other than in the car.” He said softly so as not to be overheard.

Roman pretended that he hadn’t heard what Mike said and moved away to see to the children.

“Ok.” he said after a time. “Upstairs to bed. I’m going to go get your mum. “

They moved slowly up the stairs reluctant to go to bed.

“That babies are ok.” Mike said walking down the stairs.

“Enjoy their bath did they?” Roman asked looking at both Mike and Danni who were both wearing wet tops.

Mike smiled.

“Yeah.” He murmured reaching out and taking hold of Danni’s hand.

“I won’t be long, hopefully.” Roman muttered moving out of the front door. He climbed behind the wheel of his car and set off making the return journey back to the hospital. He parked the car and moved out walking back to the room he’d left earlier.

“What kept you?” Ella said when he walked in.

“I was actually going to leave you in here it was so peaceful at home.” He murmured and saw her eyes flash at him before she smiled.

He moved over to the bed and put his arms around her.

“Are you ok? Are they going to let you go?” he asked pressing a kiss to her lips.

Ella kissed him back her arms around his neck.

“I’m fine. The baby is ok. Rachel said I’d probably have a hangover in the morning.”

“Thank god.” Roman muttered

“Did you..” Ella stopped and bit her lip.

“No I didn’t go back and beat Chris up tempted though I was.” He told her.

Ella pushed back the covers and eased her legs to the floor. She stood slowly and walked over to collect her shoes and handbag.

She put her feet into the black heels and straightened up her clothes.

“Ready?” he asked.

She nodded and reached out to him.

He gave her a smile and put his arm around her.

“Do we need to see Rachel on the way out?” he asked.

She nodded once more clinging to him.

“Still a bit shaky?”

Ella gave him a look.

“Yeah but I want to be home and get a shower.” She said with a shudder.

“How about a nice bubble bath and your own personal sponge servant.” He suggested.

“I’d take you up on that but the last time you did that you ended up in the bath too.” She murmured.

Roman chuckled.

“I don’t think you argued that much.”

“There may have been some moaning.” She said softly.

He grinned before kissing her again and then taking hold of her handbag and carrying that. He kept his arm around her as he guided her out of the room and to the nurses station.

“Hello.” Rachel called moving over to them. “How are you feeling?”

“I[‘m ok Doc, shouldn’t you be asking Ella?” Roman said quickly.

“Very funny. Are you sure you want to marry him again?” Rachel murmured to her.

Ella smiled slowly.

“I’m fine Rachel. A little woozy.”

“Ok.” she said. “As long as you take it easy for the next couple of days I think it will be safe to let you go home. Any change give me call, yeah?”

Ella nodded and lifted the pen to sign the discharge papers and let Roman lead her out. She dozed on the way home. He helped her out of the car and up to the house.

“Mum.” Mike called out.

“I’m fine.” She murmured accepting his enthusiastic hug.

“And the baby?” he asked quickly.

“We’re fine.” She told him kissing his cheek.

He eased back and looked at her before nodding.

“The kids been ok?” she asked him.

Mike nodded.

“Right then I’m going to go get a shower.” Ella said softly.

She moved up the stairs slowly Roman walking behind her. He guided her into their room and the ensuite.

“Bath or shower?” he asked.

“Shower. I’m tired.” She replied taking off her clothes and moving past him to step into the shower. He gathered up her things and placed them in the laundry hamper before stepping into the bedroom and collecting her nightdress. He brought it back through and saw her step out of the shower wrapping a large towel around herself.

“That was quick.” He said softly.

She nodded, yawning.

He passed the nightdress to her smiling as she pulled it on over her head dropping the wet towel to the floor. He grinned and selected another towel guiding her to the bed he sat next to her and towel dried her hair.

“Thanks.” She said softly.

He eased her down under the covers and pulled them up over her.

“Any lingering effects?” he asked

“Just feel sick. But that may be because of the pregnancy.”

“Hey I’ve suffered through enough of your pregnancies to…”

Ella sat bolt upright and glared at him.

“Suffered?” she quoted.

“El.” He murmured her name.

She smacked at the hand he reached out to her climbing out of the bed and storming over to the door.

“Get out.” she muttered.

“Ella.” He tried again.

“Out.” she screamed losing her temper.

“I didn’t mean it….”

“Get out of this room.” she shouted, disturbing the children. They ran down the stairs watching as Roman eased out of the room.

“How dare you say you suffered? You were too busy getting off your face drunk when I tried to tell you about Gabby and then you weren’t there with the twins and far too scared with Meggy. You treated me like a leper with Sammy. How dare you say that you suffered?” she screamed pushing him back into the hallway. “Where were you when I was pregnant with Lily? Oh that’s right, a psycho kidnapped me. And you ran out on me when I was having William.”

“Ella.” Roman said trying to reach out for her.

She slammed the door in his face and turned the key in the lock.

“Daddy?” Sammy cried out.

“It’s alright Mummy is upset with me.” Roman told his son.

The bedroom door swung open again and a shower of his clothes was thrown at him.

“I hate you. Get out of my house.” She screamed slamming the door once more.

Roman groaned before turning and running down the stairs. He went out through the front door and round the back. With a grimace he began the slow climb up the trellis. He let himself in through the window seeing Ella’s crumpled form in the middle of the bed. Climbing in next to her he felt her shudder at his touch and sighed.

“You know I didn’t mean suffer like that.” He began. “This isn’t about me, is it?”

“Hate you.” She sobbed.

“I wasn’t there for you with Gabby and I carry that with me everyday.” He said stroking her hair. “And they sent me away when you were pregnant with the twins. Which is a good job because I’m not sure I would have been brave enough to be there for you.”

“Brave?” she asked with a hiccup.

“Watching you go through that?” he murmured. “No way could I have coped El. Everyday wondering if you were ok, if the babies were ok.”

She sighed and relaxed into him as he continued talking.

“I’m sorry it took me so long to love Meggy. It wasn’t that I couldn’t love her. It was that with every movement inside you, I was reminded of what you went through. Of how hurt you were.” He sighed into her hair.

“And nothing would have kept me away with Sammy except I wanted you so much but you weren’t well. I knew that if I slept with you that you would have tried to make me feel better.”

“I think you mean less frustrated.” She said with a sniff.

“Exactly.” He murmured with a half smile. “You didn’t mention Francesca in your list.”

He felt her shiver in his arms and moved off the bed reaching for another blanket and checking the window was closed. Before climbing back on the bed with her. He pulled the cover over her holding her gently.

“Don’t” she whispered.

“Ok.” he said quietly.

She turned in his arms and looked at him seeing a single tear fall down his cheek.

“Roman?” she questioned.

“Hurts me too.” He said softly.

She kissed him before wrapping her arms around him.

“I love you.” He said softly. “Brave beautiful Ella.”

She sighed and closed her eyes tiredly slipping into sleep.

Roman eased off the bed and moved over to the door letting the children in. He grinned when they climbed in bed next to Ella.

The Kids:

Aden and Belle's:

Bret 20

Amy-belle 16

Tyler Andrew 9

Nic and Geoff's:

Angel 12

Robbie 9 (3 months difference between him and Tyler)

Mira 2 years

Roman and Ella's:

Mike 21

Gabby 21 (7 months difference between her and Mike)

Danni 19

Georgie and Sophie 11 & Georgie is 23 minutes older than Sophie.

Meggy10 (81/2 months younger than the twins!)

Sammy 8

Lily Alyssa 20 months

William 10 months

Chapter 44

“We need to talk.” Ella began sitting opposite Roman.

He smiled.

“About the way you kicked me out last night or something else?”

She gave him a look and stood up moving back into the kitchen.

“El.” Roman called softly.

“Don’t bother.” She muttered.

He stood up form the table and took his cup through to the kitchen placing it on the side before stepping towards her. He saw her tense as he put his hand up to touch her and bit back a few choice words.

“El.” He said again.

“Gabby wants Chris to come tomorrow.”

“And of course you haven’t told her about what he did.” He murmured.

She shook her head.

“He won’t stop Roman. Not until her get what he wants.” She said with a shudder.

He stepped close then and pulled her resisting into his arms holding her close.

“What do you suggest?” he asked after a moment.

“Giving him money.” She said.

“No.” Roman said immediately.

“Well what do you suggest and no killing is never the answer.”

He hid the smile on his face and eased back to look at her.

“Is there some way we could offer him the money but then I don’t know, let Jacob know?” he murmured.

“Is it fair to have Jacob know what his father is capable off? “ Ella asked.

“Is it fair that you have to go through this?” Roman shot back.

Ella shook her head.

“I can’t think what to do here. I can’t have him in my home.” She gasped out.

“Hello.” Nic called coming in the front door.

“Hey Nic.” Ella said easing away from Roman.

“Hey Step-mama.” Nic smiled and walked though to the kitchen. She leaned over and kissed her on her cheek. “You too Daddy.” She added with a grin.

“How are you Nic? Not seen much of you since your holiday?” Roman grinned at his daughter seeing her blush.

“I’m good.” She said quickly. “You wanted to talk to me?” she asked.

Roman nodded.

“We’re having an engagement party this weekend for Mike and Danni and Gabby and Jacob.” He began.

Ella gave him a look before stepping away.

“Back in a minute.” She said with a subtle emphasis.

Her grinned at her recognising the pale tint to her skin as she disappeared up the stairs.

“Congratulations by the way. Shouldn’t you er …stop?” Nic asked reaching for the coffee pot and pouring herself a cup out moving to sit at the table. Roman followed slowly.

“I presume that Sophie texted Angel?” he asked without answering the question.

Nic nodded.

“I’m disappointed in you Dad, you didn’t see what she went through with William’s birth. Getting her pregnant so soon?”

“I know.” He began folding his arms.

He glanced at the stairs before striding over to the wall unit opening a drawer he tool out his wedding magazine and brought it back to the table.

“Where can I get some of these?” he asked pointing out the diamantes.

Nic looked at the picture and smiled.

“A craft shop.” She suggested. “There is one close by my shop.”

“Can you get some for me?” he asked her. “And some ribbon in the same shade as the bridesmaid dresses?”

Nci giggled.

“Are you like turning into a wedding planner?” she asked him.

Roman gave her a look.

“Has Ella mentioned favours?” he said after a minute.

“We don’t even know how many bridesmaids she’s having.”

Roman moved back over to the wall unit and hid the magazine back in the drawer.

“She has like a million dresses in the spare room.” he said softly.

Nic grinned.

“A million?” she paraphrased.

Roman shrugged.

“Hey.” Ella called coming back into the room. She eased slowly into a chair next to Nic smiling as Roman immediately moved through to the kitchen and fetched a bottle of water for her.

“Been telling him off?” she asked Nic.

“How do you know this stuff?”

“She knows everything.” Roman said sitting next to them.

Ella laughed.

“No. You didn’t immediately come out and congratulate us. “ She smiled at the girl.

Nic flushed.

“Well I think it’s a bit soon after William.” She defended.

“It’s ok Nic, I’m fine. The depression is gone. The baby wasn’t planned but we are ok about it.” Ella told her quietly.

“Well.” Nic said looking at the pair of them.

“Now then this weekend. You’ll come over and stay?” Ella asked.

She felt Roman stroking her back and she gave him a small smile.

“Of course. Do we need to bring anything? Like a present for the couples?” she asked.

Ella shook her head.

“No, Mike has everything. As for Gabby and Jacob they haven’t got as far as thinking about houses and what they want. He’s only just started teaching here. There is no guarantee he will be staying in the Bay.” She said and bit her lip as she considered Gabby moving away.

“Hey.” Roman said leaning over and kissing her.

“What if we lose her?” Ella said tears springing into her eyes.

“We are still her parents. Nothing is going to change that.” Roman told his wife.

Ella blinked.

“And what about Chris?” she gasped out.

“Is that why you want to give him money?” Roman asked her.

She gave a brief nod.

“Woah, back up. “ Nic interrupted them. “What about Chris?” she asked.

Ella looked at Roman her face paling. In halting words she explained what happened feeling Roman tensing beside her. He took hold of her hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze, his other hand stroking comforting circles in her back. She looked at him when she’d finished talking and saw that he wasn’t displaying anger just concern and gave him a slow smile.

“I think that this is going to come out so you should sit her down and explain.” Nic said softly.

Ella shook her head.

“El she has a point.” Roman said softly. “If you don’t want to tell Gabby think about Jacob. Is it fair that you let him become part of our family when this has happened? He’s always going to sense a certain tension on our parts.”

Ella looked at them.

“Ok we tell them.” she said. “After the party. We should go see Chris. Tell him that he isn’t welcome and if he thinks about turning up we will go to the police.”

Roman nodded and leaned over and kissed her.

She gave him a hesitant smile before looking at Nic.

“Are you up to a fitting for Bridesmaid dresses next week?” Ella asked her.

“Sure no problem. Wait.” She stopped and looked at her. “Me?” Nic asked.

“Well I can’t chose one daughter over another so I’m having all of them.” Ella said slowly ignoring Roman’s knowing look.

“So wait who?” Nic said frowning.

Ella chuckled.

“You, Belle, Danni, Gabby, Sophie, Meggy, Lily.” She counted off on one hand. “Amy-Belle, Angel, Mira. Millie.”

“Oh that is so cute. The little ones will look amazing in those dresses.” Nic said excitedly.

Ella chuckled.

“What about Leona?” Roman said quickly.

“I asked her and she said stop trying to set her and Miles up. “

Roman shook his head.

“Have they not seen each other together?” he murmured.

Ella and Nic exchanged a look.

“Has Miles planned your Bucks night yet?”

Roman smiled.

“Apparently he is going to hold a poker night with the boys to discuss ideas tonight.” Roman said slowly.

“Meanwhile you are busy helping me prepare for the engagement party and can’t go listen in?” Ella asked him.

“Yup.” Roman grinned. “I may need to take a trip to the store for any last minute things though.”

Nic laughed.

“I don’t think that will work Daddy dearest. They were talking secret handshakes and everything this morning.” Nic said thinking back to Aden and Geoff before they went out for their run.

“Speaking of stuff we should go shopping.” Ella told him.

“You up to it?”

She nodded.

He smiled at her.

“Back to your bucks night.” Nic said quickly.

Roman looked at her.

“You want me to stop Geoff drinking so much?” he asked.

“No I just don’t want him to come home with any tattoos. I’m sure you know more than me on that one. Belle has never said what Aden ended up with after Geoff’s stag do but I’m betting that it is embarrassing.”

“Yeah about that. I don’t want you coming home with tattoos either.” Ella instructed.

“You have one.” He grinned.

“I know and one is plenty.” She replied.

“You have a tattoo?” Nic asked her.

Ella nodded.

“Cool where is it?”

“On my hip.” Ella said with a hand gesture in the general direction.

“Show me?” Nic asked.

Ella looked at Roman and saw him grinning. She stood slowly and lifted her skirt shifting her underpants out of the way.

“Oh that is really cool.” Nic said quietly. “And unusual.”

Ella flushed and lowered her skirt.

“Yes well.” She muttered.

“Daisies.” Roman said quickly.

Ella looked at him.

“You think I knew?” she replied.

“Her sister’s name?” Nic asked him and saw him nod.

“You have a heart surrounded by a daisy chain. They have always been your favourite flower.” He pointed out not letting on that he exclaimed daisy because he was thinking of flower arrangements for the reception.

She shrugged.

“Maybe.” She murmured.

He smiled at her.

“Well I suppose I better leave you too it. You know we need to organise a hen party for you.” She said to Ella.

“That will be fun now I’m not drinking again.” She turned and glared at Roman. “Hey!” she muttered.

“Look just because I didn’t want you getting drunk and looking at male strippers was not the whole reason behind getting you pregnant.” He murmured.

“You need to make it up to me.” She said with a pout.

He leaned over and whispered in her ear causing her to blush at his words.

“That will do it.” she confirmed.

He chuckled.

“Hey, have we ordered flowers yet?” he asked her.

She shook her head.

“My list is over in that drawer.” She pointed and he smiled thinking of his list in the next drawer along.

“Are your parents coming?” Nic asked her dad.

He nodded.

“All my family have accepted.” He grinned.

“We should do a list of acceptances and work out where they are going to stay.” Ella murmured rubbing a spot between her eyes.

He smiled and walked over to the drawers taking out Ella’s Wedding folder, grinning as he saw how big it had gotten.

“Maybe we could use the computer and do a spreadsheet.” Roman suggested.

Ella laughed.

“Maybe I should hire a secretary.”

“Not a bad idea.” Roman grinned handing her the folder.

She opened it up showing the carefully labelled sections.

“Flowers.” She said turning to the section.

He saw the pictures she’d cut out and put under suggestions and then the list of local florists.

“Wow.” Nic exclaimed. “What about wedding favours?” she asked catching her dad’s eye.

Ella smiled and turned a few pages showing them the wedding favours she liked.

“These are nice.” Nic said pointing to one. “When we try on bridesmaid dresses we could do a production line and make them. You can buy the stuff in a craft shop.”

“You think this one?” Ella asked.

Nic nodded.

“I like this one.” Roman muttered after a minute pointing to a small box with ribbon around it and a flower with a silver horseshoe on. “You could use the same colour ribbon as your dresses.”

Ella gave him a curious look.

“What are you putting in them?” Nic asked quickly dragging Ella’s attention back to her.

“Sugared almonds?” Ella muttered. “I don’t know.”

“How about a little quote?” Nic asked. “You know like a quote of the day type thing.”

“I don’t know. I need to think about it a bit more.”

Roman smiled at her.

“I really need to go.” Nic said regretfully.

“Want to do more wedding stuff?” Ella asked her.

Nic nodded.

“Why doesn’t Geoff want to get married again.” She muttered.

“Oh probably because he’s still recovering from the first one.” Roman told her.

She gave him a look.

“Thank you Daddy.” She muttered and moved out of the chair and over to the door. They heard the door close and looked at each other.

“Lets go shopping.” He said.

She smiled at him.

Chapter 45

Roman watched as Ella moved around the shop. He smiled knowing that she wasn’t really into this today her mind on other things. She piled food into the trolley without thinking what they actually needed. He chuckled when she added whipped cream and strawberries and she’d blushed at the look on his face.

“Behave.” She muttered with a groan.

“Ella we need to put half of this back.” He murmured.

She looked into the trolley then and groaned some more.

“So is it wedding stuff or Chris?” he asked her.

Ella gave a little cry under her breath. Roman couldn’t help but hear it. He stepped over to her side and took her into his arms holding her close.

“I’m ok.” she said finally.

He nodded and pressed a kiss to her lips.

“Come on.” He said pulling her away from the trolley.

“No we should finish this.” She muttered.

He grinned and walked over to the trolley taking out some of the items and putting them back on the shelves. She moved slowly behind him watching as he selected crisps and other snack food. He looked at the salad items she’d selected before heading to the tills.

“Keeping the whipped cream then?” she asked him giving a small husky laugh at the slow wash of colour on his cheeks.

He leaned over and kissed her before whispering in her ear.

“And you think you can do that?” she retorted skipping past the tills and out the door leaving him behind and unable to respond. He paid for everything and bagged it up before meeting her outside.

“Ella Harris.” He muttered.

She grinned up at him before kissing him.

“I’m going to take a walk to that florists. Meet me there?”

He nodded and walked the trolley to where the car was parked half an eye on her walking away. He liked the new sassy way she was swinging her hips and smiled knowing she was thinking about him and what he’d promised to do with that whipped cream.

He stacked the food in the back of the car before turning around and walking to the florists.. He smiled as he saw her inside looking at the roses and moved into the shop.

“Hey.” She called out to him.

He walked quickly over to her and took her hand in his own.

“Over here.” He said leading her to the other side of the shop.

She gave him a puzzled look.

“These are margaritas.” The florist murmured.

Roman nodded, looking over at her name badge that read Laura. He gave her a smile as he recognised her from when she had done the flowers for Nic’s first and second wedding.

“Don’t you think they look pretty?” Roman asked Ella.

“Ok Mister what are you thinking?” Ella asked him putting her free hand on her hip and giving him a look.

“I’m thinking that I don’t want formal arrangements in the church.” He said slowly. “That maybe I want it to look natural and free. More like you picked them yourself and I’m sure you have something in mind for yourself and the bridesmaids but that photo of Sophie.” he stopped feeling suddenly strangely shy.

Ella pulled her hand out of his grip and reached into her handbag taking out her organiser. She opened it up and showed him the pictures she had taken out of a wedding magazine.

“Like that?” she asked him pointing to the mix of daises and zinnias and other flowers in one picture and a mass of wild looking flowers in blues and whites in the other picture.

Roman nodded.

“Exactly.” He murmured smiling at her.

Ella glared at him.

“So you don’t want something like this?” she muttered showing him the other arrangement that consisted of roses and lilies.

He frowned as he looked at it.

“No.” he stated emphatically.

Ella nodded.

“Fine.” She said closing the organiser and putting it away.

“Hun, do you want to show the florist so she knows what you want?” Roman asked after a minute.

“No you tell her I’ll be waiting outside.” Ella muttered turning around and walking out of the shop.

“One minute.” Roman said with a grin following Ella. “What’s the matter?” he asked her.

“What is wrong with you?” she hissed.

“That’s funny I’m thinking the same thing of you.” Roman said puzzled.

“First you want the wedding to be big and splashy and now you want to change things!” she muttered her arms folded in front of her.

“Ella.” He said quickly. “Why did you have the picture of the daisies in there if you were going for the other formal arrangement?” he asked her.

She began tapping her foot on the pavement.

“Because this wedding is not about what I want.” She snapped at him.

“Fine.” Roman ground out. “Let’s cancel the whole thing.”

“Suits me.” Ella shouted at him. “And why we are at it we can get another divorce.”

She spun around and walked off leaving him standing there

He watched her storm off wondering why he wanted to marry her and then remembered what happened the last time whipped cream had been bought and chuckled. He waited a few minutes before walking back into the florists.

“Interesting debate technique there.” Laura commented.

Roman nodded.

“Works every time.” he murmured. “So what we want are big wild flower type arrangements.” He said slowly. “With Daisies.”

He walked around the shop looking at the selection of displays before he found vases that he liked.

“How much are these?” he asked and nodded as Laura named a sum. “Can I get three?” he murmured working it out. “We’re having our reception at the Sands hotel. And my wife found it a bit…” he paused.

“Formal?” Laura asked.

Roman grinned.

“Exactly.”

He reached into his pocket and pulled out the page from the magazine and showed her the picture.

“I think you would be better with these?” Laura suggested showing him through to the back and pointing out crystal vases with a swirl of gold mixed in the glass. She picked out some smaller versions and handed one over.

“These are exactly what I was thinking off.” He said.

Laura smiled.

“As you can see they come in four sizes so you can mix and match them.”

Roman looked at her and then back at the vases.

“Well the smaller two will go on the tables. Then the medium ones on the top table and finally a few of the larger ones on the buffet table.” He decided.

“Where are you having the wedding?” she asked him.

“At the church in Summer Bay. “

She smiled.

“Is Geoff doing the ceremony?” she asked.

Roman shook his head.

“No. I’ve arranged for someone special to do it.” he sated. “How is your husband enjoying his retirement?” he asked referring to Pastor Frank the man who had married Nic and Geoff, before performing the blessing for him and Ella .

She smiled.

“He’s not. Alf keeps threatening to take him fishing.” She smiled at him.

“So how much is that so far?” Roman asked her.

“I think we can do a discount. We normally only loan these vases out.”

“That’s fine.” He said. “I might buy one of the smaller ones though for a present for her. Something to remember the day.”

“And Nic told me you didn’t do romantic.” Laura teased him with a soft laugh.

“I’ve read books.” He confessed quietly. “I’m qualified in romance.”

She gave another tinkering sounding laugh.

“So daisies and wild flowers.” She said.

“Avoid anything that clashes with yellow.” He murmured. “The bridesmaids are yellow.”

“That’s a nice change.” Laura told him. “It’s usually pinks and lilacs. Some new brides even chose black.”

Roman smiled thinking of his bride before walking back into the other part of the shop.

“Oh, can I get a delivery of white roses the morning of the wedding? She’ll be staying at the Sands the night before. I’ll write the letter that goes with it.” he asked.

Laura nodded making a few notes on the pad next to the till before running up the total. She told him the cost and he smiled handing over his credit card.

“Ella will be in soon to order her flowers.” He predicted. “Can you keep the hotel ones quiet?”

Laura nodded and handed him back his card and receipt with a carbon copy of the order.

“No problem.” She said softly.

He smiled and walked out of the florists and along to the craft shop near Nic’s boutique. He saw her behind the till talking to the girl that worked with her and he waved, grinning as she waved back. He stepped inside the craft shop and immediately noticed the wedding section. He walked over to it and stopped next to the woman standing there.

“S’cuse me I’m looking for favours?” he said softly.

She spun around and looked at him.

“I think you’ll find this is a craft shop not a brothel.” She muttered.

“El.” He grinned at her.

“Shut up.” She ground out.

“So you don’t want the wedding.” He said softly.

“I believe I just told you to shut up.” She said raising her eyebrow and glaring at him.

He chucked before leaning forward and kissing her.

“So what ones have you found?” he asked her.

He put his hand in the small of her back and rubbed slowly biting back a sigh of his own as she leaned closer to him.

“These.” She pointed to small gold and cream boxes.

“They’re nice.” He said.

“With yellow ribbon.” She added showing him the ribbon she’d already picked out. “Is that ok?”

“Ella it’s beautiful.” He told her. “I like this shade.” He added touching the ribbon.

She gave a half-hearted nod.

“What is the matter?” he asked.

“I want to put crystals in them.” she said. “Rose quartz for love.”

He smiled and kissed the top of her head.

“But?” he asked.

“It will be so expensive.”

“Well we can do it can’t we. Put it on the credit card.”

“And then pay a fortune in interest.” She shook her head. “I was thinking of transferring some money from my other account.”

“El, haven’t you paid enough out?” he asked. “If you are worried about the cost then how about you only put crystals in the ones you want to go to special people. Or I don’t know.” He stopped talking.

She looked at him.

“No.” she said.

She took hold of his hand and led him to the other side of the shop.

“Ella Harris.” He muttered seeing what she was pointing out.

“Well. It will be special.” She said to him.

“And how long would it take?” he asked her.

“Not long if we work together?” she asked him. “Please?”

He smiled over at her seeing the flush on her cheeks and the light in her eyes.

Walking away her moved to the front of the store and fetched a shopping basket returning to her side a moment later.

“Ok.” he agreed.

She threw her arms around his neck and hugged him.

“Thank you.” She said softly.

He was forced to put his arm around her waist to steady her.

“You’re welcome.” He said smiling.

She collected five of the moulds and put them in the basket working out that would give her a hundred chocolates at a time before picking up the small paper cases and the pipettes for decorating them. He added a packet of lilac decorations and then seeing her face a second packet of the daisy flower looking ones.

“Ok?” he asked.

She nodded leaning up and kissing him

“Thank you.” She said again.

“Right lets collect those boxes.”

She nodded feeling him take hold of her hand and leading her back over to the wedding section. He picked up several packets of the boxes and placing them in the basket.

“Anything else?” he asked.

She nodded and collected some non-toxic craft glue.

“Going to have the kids make them up?” he asked and saw her nod. “By the way do you know how to make hand-made chocolates?”

Ella shook her head.

“What can be so hard?”

“You and me in a kitchen with chocolate?” he asked. “Usually something gets hard.”

Ella blushed before she glared at him.

“That is not going to happen!” she said to him slight stuttering.

“So you don’t remember the time ……” he began and saw her glare at him again and walk off.

He gave a husky laugh before heading to the tills spotting the diamantes that he was after on the way. He added three packets to the basket before collecting another couple of the rolls of ribbon to the pile of things and finally made his way to the till. He spotted Ella looking at a knitting pattern for a baby’s cardigan and he smiled as he paid for the items and accepted the bags back. Moving over to her he saw her frowning as she read the instructions on the pattern.

“El.” He called her name watching as she blushed and hastily tried to put the pattern away. “I didn’t know you could knit.” He said softly.

“I can’t.” she exclaimed.

“Then what was with the pattern?” he asked still smiling at her.

She gave him another glare.

“I was feeling hormonal.” She snapped.

“Nesting instincts already?” he asked and felt her hand connect with his ribs. “Ouf!” he exclaimed.” Yup! You’ve reached the hormonal stage!”

“Roman Harris do you want to get married or not?”

“As opposed to losing part of my anatomy?” he asked back and saw her giggle before she could stop herself. “Come on Ella Harris, lets get home so you can have a lay down.”

She frowned at him.

“But I’m not tired.”

“No but I have that whipped cream.” He said slowly. “And I want to take advantage of these hormones of yours.”

She giggled once more and let him lead her out of the shop. They both waved to Nic on the way past back to the car.

“I should go order flowers.” Ella said biting her lip.

“All you need to order are yours and the bridesmaids.” He commented.

“High-handed.” She grumped.

“Yup.” He agreed. “And you hate it because I’m right about the daisies.”

“Sophie did look like a Princess didn’t she?” Ella said softly her voice full of love for her daughter.

“Button thingys.” He exclaimed.

“Roman?”

“Yeah she did and I totally forgot those things you put in the jackets.”

“Buttonholes?” she asked.

He nodded once more.

“Well I can order those next time.” she said placing her hand in his.

Roman paused, leaning down and kissing her again before opening the car and letting her climb into the passenger side. He opened the back and put the bags in before getting in behind the wheel and setting off.

“When are we going to get the chocolate?” she asked.

“Too much to think about this weekend.”

“You’ll find us running out of time before everything is completed.” She commented.

“Wedding cake.” He said.

“I’ve made one.” She admitted. “Just needs icing.”

“Well I can do that bit.” He offered.

He reached for her hand and placed it on his knee before putting his hand back on the steering wheel.

“Ok.” she murmured.

“Fittings for the suits.”

Ella nodded.

“You need to take Miles into the city and get his suit.” She said slowly.

“Invitations. How many have accepted?” he asked.

“Your family. Colleen. Leah,” she began a mental list of them. “Oh so far everybody.”

“We’ll sit down on Monday and work out who is coming and maybe a seating plan. Confirm numbers for the hotel.” He asked.

Ella nodded.

“That would be good.” She said stroking his leg.

“El.” He murmured.

She looked at his profile then glanced down at her hand.

“Sorry.” She said embarrassed.

“Don’t be sorry jest remember that you will have to deal with the consequences when we get in.” he told her shooting a look in her direction.

She gave another little giggle and he felt his heart flip over in his chest.

“We need to go pick up the kids.” She murmured.

“I’m sure they won’t hurt for another few minutes.” He took a deep breath.

“We need to go see Chris.” She said the words he’d been about to say.

“I hate it when you read my mind.” He commented.

“Oh come on it’s pretty easy to read.” She said softly. “Sex Sex sex, making love, cuddle, sleep, food, sex.”

“Hey!” he muttered.

“How true is that?” she asked slyly looking at him.

”About fifty percent true.” He murmured.

“We also need to find out the date for you to go to the clinic.” She said after a minute.

“And I get to book the honeymoon.”

“Hey!” she gave him a look.

“You made the cake so I get to book the honeymoon.” He told her as they pulled up in front of the house.

She glared at him some more.

“Seriously I’m asking if you will let me book the honeymoon because I’d like to make it a surprise.” He told her turning and looking at her.

“You have something sneaky in mind don’t you?” she asked him.

He nodded.

“Ok then.” She said.

“Thank you.” He told her meaning it. He leaned forward and kissed her on the end of her nose reaching to undo for her seatbelt. He felt her lean towards him as the belt unfastened and he put his arm around her kissing her gently until she pulled away and looked at him.

“You remember don’t you?” she asked quietly.

He nodded.

“I never want to do anything that hurts or frightens you ever again.” He said slowly. “And with what happened with Chris still fresh….” He trailed off.

Ella nodded blinking back tears before she gave him a smile.

“Love you.” She whispered.

“Me too.” He grinned. “I must do because I just let you talk me into making a load of chocolates.”

She giggled again before opening the door and climbing out of the car. She reached into the back seat and picked up the bags from the craft before moving round the back of the car to take some more.

“No you don’t. Go and put your feet up please.” He murmured.

Ella looked at him before smiling and leaning up to kiss him on his cheek.

“Ok since you added the please bit.” She said giving him a sassy grin.

He smiled back his arm going around her and holding her to him for a long moment before watching her move into the house. He saw one of their cats rubbing round her ankles as she entered the house following her devotedly.

He carried the bags through to the kitchen and began putting the groceries away making a couple of journeys until the car was clear. Walking through to the lounge he found Ella laying on the sofa with the same cat that had followed her in, curled up on her stomach purring.

“Do you want a drink?”

“No thanks. We should go see Chris and get it over with.” She murmured reaching out and stroking the cat.

He nodded.

“What about food first?” he said coming over to kneel by the long sofa. He reached out and stroked her face.

She leaned up and kissed him.

“Not until after. My stomach is churning.” She murmured quietly.

“Come on then.” He said slowly.

She lifted the cat off and eased up off the sofa feeling his arm around her as they walked out of the door together. He watched her climb into the car before sitting next to her and setting off.

“Popcorn is going to be mad you didn’t feed him before we went out.” he said softly.

“Why did we end up with such stupid named cats?” she grinned back.

“Oh that would be your hormones. I’m just glad that Meggy didn’t end up called butterscotch.” He said smiling at her briefly.

She gave him a look.

“Yes dear.” She said in a tone of voice he recognised.

He chuckled.

“So we going to end up calling this one something I’m going to regret?” he asked placing his hand on her stomach.

She put her hands on top of his.

“No I was thinking Daisy for a girl.” She told him in a dreamy voice.

“And for a boy?” he asked.

“I hadn’t thought about that yet.”

“How about Garrett.” He asked.

She gave him a loving look.

“As in Marguerite?” she asked “Garrett.” She murmured softly testing it out.

He smiled at her before reluctantly removing his hand from her belly to change gear.

“Thank you.” She told him.

“My pleasure ma’am and clearly it was.” He said grinning.

“Oh you.” She muttered smiling despite herself. “Trust me it was very very mutual.” She said after a moment.

“I did notice.” He said. “If we are talking about the time you told me that…”

“Drive man.” She said interrupting him.

“That you never experienced that with anyone else.” He continued smiling at her embarrassment.

“No ok. You are the only man that does that to me. Ok?” she stuttered.

“Does what?!” he asked.

“Makes me have an orgasm ok.” she said her arms folded across herself.

“Make?” he questioned her. “Its not like I would stop you.”

“Yeah but you don’t exactly.” She looked at him. “Allow me to decide not to have one.”

“Ok.” he agreed. “Next time you can just lay there and not enjoy it.” he said and then cursed. ”El.”

“It’s ok.” she said quickly placing her hand on his knee. “Are you ok?”

“me?” he asked surprised.

“Well there have been a couple of times that haven’t been so good for you.” She said in a whisper.

He shot a quick look at her.

“After ..” he said slowly.

“Francesca. We can say her name.” She said quietly.

“I’m not ever going to forget that moment El but no, it doesn’t hurt me any longer.” He said referring to the time after they lost their baby daughter Francesca. He’d waited months before finally working up the courage to make love to her wanting nothing more than to be close to her once more and instead he’d been frozen out and told that she no longer loved him. “I know what you were going through. You were hurting and to try and stop some of the pain you closed down your heart.”

She gasped.

“You know exactly.” She murmured.

“I know.” He confirmed. “And I had to let you.”

“I came back.” She said quietly.

“You always come back.” He said softly pulling into a parking space at the hotel. He stopped the car and switched of the engine turning to her. “You have a strength that astounds me. I have no idea how you can cope with all the pain you’ve had to endure and still be my wonderful Ella.”

She gave him a look blinking back tears before hitting him.

“Thanks for the pep talk. Let’s go sort Chris out.”

He gave her a fleeting kiss.

“Wasn’t my intention.” He said. “But I’m glad it worked.”

She unclipped her seatbelt and climbed out of the car walking around it. He waited for her taking hold of her hand in his and together they walked into the hotel.

“Chris Smith?” Ella asked at reception.

“I can call his room for you.” They were told.

“Thank you could you tell him that Lizzie is waiting for him in the bar.” She said and saw the woman nod.

“Come on.” Roman said giving her hand a reassuring squeeze as he led her through to the bar. He ordered them a couple of soft drinks and moved to a secluded table in the corner pulling his chair closer to her.

“No.” he said after a minute.

“no what?” she asked puzzled.

“This is not to reassure you this is so you stop me hitting him.” he said referring to moving closer to her.

She gave him a quick smile before frowning again.

“El.” He called softly.

She looked up and watched as Chris walked over to them.

“So what do you want Lizzie?” Chris asked not even pretending to be civil.

“Stay away tomorrow night. Be busy.” She spat out.

“Or what?” he asked.

“Or we call the police in and report you.” Roman said with quiet menace.

Chris laughed.

“You think you have proof?”

Ella swallowed back nausea as she looked at the other man.

“We have proof but more than that we could….” she stopped unable to talk anymore.

“Tell Jacob what his father is like and what he is actually after.” Roman told the other man making it seem like he was interrupting her.

She glanced at him and then looked back at Chris.

“What am I after?” Chris asked looking straight at Ella.

“Money.” She snapped out. “And you won’t get a penny. Final warning Chris, stay away.”

She stood up and looked at Roman.

He smiled slowly.

“Keep away from my wife.” He told Chris. “I wouldn’t want to have to get forceful.” He added before standing and walking out of the bar with her. He caught hold of her hand and felt her tremble.

“El it’s ok.” he whispered to her.

“I know. Take me home.” She said.

“Well we could get a room here?” he asked. “Finish what you started earlier when you stroked my thigh.”

Ella laughed turning to him before catching sight of Chris watching them walk out.

“Keep moving.” Roman said softly. “I’m right here. I won’t let him hurt you ever again.”

She nodded sighing when they walked outside and away from him.

“Well done.” He said quietly.

“Was that just to…” she began to ask.

Roman pulled her against him and kissed her.

“No that was a genuine question El, I really want to make love to you and hold you. Especially the hold you part.”

She sighed and leaned against him for a long moment before he led her to the car. He saw her safely inside before driving them home smiling as he saw her slip into and exhausted sleep beside him. He carried her into the house and upstairs to bed laying her down carefully before heading out to collect the children. First Lily and William from a play date with Millie and then the rest of them from school.

Chapter 46

Ella eased down the stairs and saw the children sitting round the table. Roman had them making paper chains from the looks of the items on the table.

“Hey.” She called softly.

She saw him in the kitchen cooking, Jacob and Gabby were standing next to him as he was explaining something to them.

“Hello.” He said softly in response. “Good sleep?”

She nodded and moved over to the table lifting Meggy out of her seat and sitting down before putting Meggy on her lap.

“What are we making?” she asked them.

“Decorations for Gabby’s party.” Sophie supplied.

“These are really good.” Ella said to them looking at the colourful paper chains on the table. She eased back and stroked Meggy’s hair back from her face. “Is my Meggy ok?” she asked quietly.

She caught sight of Jacob leaning round the corner from the kitchen his eyes on them as her question.

“I’m fine Mummy.” Meggy told her grinning. “See.”

“Well that is a very nice grin but something tells me that Meggy is a little sad inside.”

Meggy sighed and looked at her tears appearing in her blue eyes.

“They found out at school that Gabby is marrying Jacob.” She said slowly. “And started teasing me.”

Ella nodded.

“What did they call you?”

“Teachers pet.” She muttered. “And then he kept me behind to talk to me so Monday its going to be worse.”

“Uh huh.” Ella said softly.

“Mummy.” Meggy said looking at her.

“Yes Meggy?”

“Do you think my poem was good?”

Ella gave her a smile.

“Yes sweetie I think it was very good.”

“Good enough to be a book like your pictures?” she asked biting her lip.

Ella caught sight of Roman watching her and knew exactly what he was thinking. She smiled.

“Yes.” Ella answered her daughter.

“That’s what he said.” Meggy muttered pointing to Jacob. “He wants to send it to a friend who does books.”

“Well that is good but I think that maybe if you want to send it off you should write the letter that goes with it.” Ella suggested and saw Meggy brighten up. “That way it’s all your work. Jacob can put in a letter in the envelope if he wants though.”

Meggy nodded.

“Did you thank him Megan Hope Harris?” Ella asked her.

“She did.” Jacob murmured.

He caught sight of Gabby standing next to him and smiled at her before holding out his hand to her. She took hold of his hand and moved closer to him before heading over to the sofa and sitting with him.

“And well it’s ok to be a teachers pet sometimes. It means you can get away with not always doing your homework.”

“Silly Mummy. Like you’ll let me get away with not doing my homework.” Meggy said, rolling her eyes.

Sophie grinned/

“Better Meggy?” she asked.

Meggy nodded.

“She wouldn’t tell us what was wrong.” Georgie told her.

“Probably a good thing your Daddy and me wouldn’t want to go up the school because you’ve kicked half of Meggy’s class.”

Sammy giggled.

Ella stood up and sat Meggy back on her chair before walking into the kitchen. She placed her hand in the small of Roman’s back and leaned forward and kissed him.

“She keeps biting her lip like that and we’ll have to stop the boys with a flame thrower.” He told her.

“I knew you were thinking that. Its only because you like it when I do it.”

“Ella, our beautiful girls look just like you. Of course I’m going to have to get a big gun when they start dating.”

“Oh you are letting them date now?” she asked with a grin.

“Yes our other two daughters don’t seem to have done so bad.” He smiled down at her.

“What are you making?” she asked after a moment.

“Just a few things for tomorrow and I thought a chilli for tonight.”

“Sounds good.” She said.

“Do you want anything now?” he asked. “It won’t be ready for another forty minutes or so.

“Maybe some biscuits and a glass of milk?”

He smiled and moved to the fridge taking out the milk. He poured it out in a tall glass before taking out a box from the cupboard and handing them to her.

“You made me ginger biscuits?” she asked looking inside.

He nodded.

“I love you.” She said kissing him again.

“Go sit outside I’ll come in a minute.” He murmured.

She looked at him.

“Damn my kisses are good.”

He caught her meaning and blushed.

“Behave Ella Harris.” He muttered.

She smiled.

“Why?”

“When you look at me like that I can’t think of a single reason.” He commented.

Ella smiled at him again before heading outside she eased slowly into a seat watching as Mike was seeing out the rest of the furniture for the following night.

“This is slave labour you know.” He muttered.

“Shut up and get on with it. Can’t think why I didn’t drop you in the orphanage when I had the chance.” She said to him.

Mike chuckled and ran over to her kissing her on her cheek.

“Everything ok?” he asked her with subtle emphasis.

She nodded.

“He took care of me.” She said softly.

“Too bloody right.” Mike grinned walking back over to the shed and getting out more furniture.

Roman moved out of the house and eased into a chair next to her.

“Thank you for this.” She said indicating the biscuits.

“Feeling better.” He asked taking hold of her hand.

She nodded.

“Much thank you.” She smiled at him. “Are the babies ok?”

Roman nodded.

“William fell and hit his head which caused major drama with Miles and Leona.”

“Ah my baby where is he?”

“He’s fine. You can go check on him in a minute.” Roman said grinning. “Do you want to hear the rest of the sorry or not?”

“Is it good?” she asked him. “Because checking on my son versus listening to a story is not really a good competition.”

Roman lifted her hand to his lips and kissed it slowly.

“Ok I’ll cut the story short.” He said.

“Too late.” She responded.

“Ha ha.” He murmured. “Engagement. Kissing. Adopting Millie.”

“Really?” Ella asked grinning. “Well cool.”

“Yes you minx.” He told her.

“Because William hit his head?”

“I knew you would want more details.” He murmured. “Our son banged his head causing hysterics from Lily and Millie. Leona totally panicked. Miles walked in on the scene and scooped up William checked him over and gave him a lollipop. He ran off happy. So Miles took lollipops to the crying babies and Lily ran off to her brother. Millie ran to Lee. She picked her up apparently and said that she knew that her daddy would know what to do.”

“Ah bless, Lee and Miles.” Ella said.

“So Miles hearing this grabbed a final lollipop and moved to kneel on one knee in front of Leona and proposed.”

Ella giggled.

“Trust Miles. I’m so happy for him.”

Roman looked at his wife and took in her smile, her shinning eyes and the flush to her cheeks. He leaned forward and kissed her.

She smiled back at him and eased up from her seat moving to sit on his lap putting her arms around his neck.

“Thought you wanted to check on our boy?” he asked.

She nodded.

“If he can be pacified by a lollipop then he’s fine. Thought I would do some checking on my man first.”

Roman smiled at her.

“How did I get so lucky?” he said.

“That would be me.” Mike piped up. “I wanted to meet you so here we are.”

“Are you sure it’s too late to chuck him in the orphanage?” Roman asked her.

“Hey Daddy.” Mike protested.

Roman chuckled.

“Thanks for setting out the tables and chairs.”

Mike grinned sitting next to them.

“Sorry I can’t stay for food I’m off to Miles to plan your doom”

“Mike.” Ella muttered.

“Sorry did I use the word doom again? I meant bucks night.” Mike laughed before standing and moving over to them. He placed a kiss to his mothers’ cheek before grinning cheekily and doing the same to Roman’s. “See you later.” He grinned heading out.

Roman smiled his arms still around Ella.

“Ready for food?” he asked after time.

She nodded.

“Does the mean I have to move?” she asked him.

“Afraid so but it is nearly bedtime.”

“I’m not at all tired.” Ella replied.

“Good.” He murmured grinning.

Ella smiled and eased up off his lap. She moved through the house helping the children clear the table before go upstairs with them. She sent them to wash hands before they went back downstairs while she moved through to the nursery.

“Mama Liam bump.” Lily called sitting up in her bed.

“Did he?” she said moving over to the cot and lifting William out.

“Mama.” William called out hugging her.

She moved to sit on Lily’s bed next to Fudge, Roman’s ginger cat.

“Did you take care of him?” she asked her daughter.

Lily nodded.

“Miles pop.” She explained.

“Really.” Ella said to her.

Lily grinned and nodded.

“Well do you want some dinner?” she asked them.

“Hungry.” Lily said. “Mummy carry?”

“Oh so you want me to carry you and William?”

Lily grinned her most pretty smile and held her arms up.

“Ok.” Ella said.

She stood up and moved William slightly settling him on her hip. He put his arms around her neck before she picked up Lily. She moved out of the nursery and down the stairs slowly

“Ella Harris.” Roman called out moving quickly to the bottom of the stairs. He lifted Lily from her before collecting William.

“I’m fine.” She told him.

“Still want you to be careful.” He muttered before adding. “Please.”

She watched as he put the children down in the lounge before walking over to him.

“Are you really worried?” she asked quietly.

He looked at her about to deny it when he caught the expression on her face.

“Yes I am.” He confessed.

“I promise I’ll be careful.” She told him.

Roman leaned over and kissed her before walking into the kitchen and beginning to serve up the dinner.

“Are you ok?” Gabby asked quickly.

Ella smiled at her daughter.

“Yes I’m fine.” She murmured equally as quickly before heading over to the table. She helped Sophie set the table. “Thought that it was Georgie’s turn to do this?”

Sophie nodded.

“We swapped because I want to spend a bit more time with Princess tomorrow before we tidy our rooms.”

“Ok.” Ella said softly. “Angel will be here tomorrow.”

Sophie nodded.

“I thought that I would spend some time with her Sunday before she went home.”

“So you want to sort Princess out tomorrow so that she doesn’t need so much attention on Sunday?” Ella asked her and watched as she nodded. “I think that is a good idea.” She told her daughter and saw her blush.

Jacob moved back into the lounge putting his phone back in his pocket.

“What’s the matter?” Gabby asked him seeing the expression on his face.

“My dad won’t be coming tomorrow. He said something about not being wanted.”

“What does he mean?” Gabby muttered before turning to Ella. “What did you do?” she asked raising her voice.

Roman walked through to them.

“Gabby mind your tone.” He said quickly glancing at the children.

“Don’t bother lying. I know from your face that you did something.” Gabby snapped out not listening.

“Gabby be quiet.” Roman muttered walking over to her.

She stepped away form him and up to Ella.

“Well Ella?” she asked her. “Are you struck dumb or something?”

“Enough.” Jacob interrupted.

“Roman.” Ella said. “We need to tell them.”

He nodded.

“Into the study.” He instructed them.

“Roman.” Ella said paling.

“It will be ok.” he promised taking hold of her hand and leading her inside the other room. Gabby and Jacob followed slowly.

Roman moved to the other side of the room indicating that the couple should sit down. They did so slowly and he walked over and shut the door.

“Your father called Ella to meet him.” Roman began telling them the story of what happened.

“There is no way he would have done that.” Gabby cried out.

Ella looked at the floor unable to make eye contact with her daughter.

“Then explain why I had to take your mother to the hospital?” Roman asked her suddenly worried by Ella’s quietness.

“No.” Jacob shook his head. “I have to hear both sides.”

He stood up and moved out of the room. They heard the front door go and his car start up.

Ella looked up then.

“We should go after him.” she murmured. “Chris is going to twist this anyway he can.”

“Are you sure it’s Chris who’s twisting things?” Gabby asked tears in her eyes.

Roman gave his daughter a fierce look before nodding at Ella. She nodded back and stood up moving to the door.

“Wait.” Gabby cried.

“You need to stay here.” Roman told her. “Or are the children going to look after themselves?” he added sarcastically.

Gabby flushed.

“Roman.” Ella murmured his name.

He nodded moving to grab his keys before they moved out to the car. He helped her inside before setting off once more to the Sands. He drove quickly and they were soon pulling up in the car park again and climbing out of the car.

“El.” He said to her.

She shook her head.

“Lets just go see what he has to say for himself.” She murmured walking into the hotel.

Roman walked next to her. They spotted Jacob walking ahead of them towards the bar.

“I saw him.” Roman said when Ella turned towards him.

They followed him watching him walk up to his father. Roman felt Ella shudder beside him and bit back a curse.

“Well well.” Chris called out looking at them. “If it isn’t the b*tch and her husband come back. Your plan didn’t quite work did it?” Chris asked drunkenly.

“What plan was that Chris?” Ella bit out.

“To separate me from my son of course.”

Jacob looked at them and then at his father. He moved over to him and started patting down his pockets.

“What are you doing?” Chris asked trying to stop him.

“Looking for the drugs or are they in your room?” Jacob muttered. “I didn’t believe them but you hate her, I saw it on your face.”

“Of course I hate her. She ruined my life. She ran out on me.” Chris bit out before realising what he’d said.

Jacob looked at him before turning around and striding out of the bar and over to the elevators. He pressed the buttons looking at the displays to check which floor they were on before running over to the stairs. He began running up them Chris following slowly behind.

Ella looked at Roman before she followed them. He shook his head before doing the same.

“El go steady.” He called out.

They reached the third floor and went over to Chris room just in time to see Jacob holding up the bag with the tablets in having searched the room.

“It’s not what it looks like.” Chris said.

“This is exactly what it looks like.” Jacob bit out. He stormed out fo the room and back over to the stairs stuffing the tablets in his pocket.

Roman moved over to him trying to calm him down.

“Don’t even think about it Roman. He’s disgusting.”

“You B*tch.” Chris shouted out. “You ran out on me. You only had to marry me and I would have paid everything back I lost my job and they took my house away.”

“With my money? I don’t think so.” Ella shook her head and moved away. She walked over to the stairs seeing Roman and Jacob partway down them. She didn’t hear Chris moving behind her until she felt his hands on her back pushing her. Her foot slid off the step her ankle twisting she pitched forward. Her knee collided with the step and she let out a cry of pain mixed with panic as she rolled down the steps. She felt her whole body hurt before blackness claimed her.

Chapter 47

“Rachel?” Roman called standing up and looking at the other woman as she moved towards him along the hospital corridor. He read the expression on her face and felt his heart plummet.

“I’m sorry Roman.” She said softly. “She lost the baby.”

He crumpled falling back down in his seat.

“Can I go see her?” he asked after a moment.

Rachel nodded.

“We’ve transferred her to a room. She’s resting. Don’t stay long please.” Rachel told him and watched as he nodded. She showed him the room that Ella was in and saw him walk over to the room putting his hand on the door handle. He opened the door slowly and moved inside. Ella was laying back on the pillows her face pale her eyes looking up at the white ceiling above.

“Hey.” He murmured moving to her side.

“Hey.” She said back.

“El.” He whispered her name unable to tell her how sorry he was about the baby.

“S’ok.” she told him. “Not meant to be.”

He gave a little gasp feeling those words hurt like poison darts but then he looked at her face and saw tears slowly leaving a silver trail on her pale cheeks.

“El.” He said again.

He moved over to the bed and climbed on it carefully beside her, feeling her turn to him as he put his arms around her. She clung to him and he sighed before the tears he didn’t know he was to cry eased from his eyes.

“I’m so sorry.” He told her.

“I know. I am too.” She whispered.

“El.” He said again.

He leaned forward and kissed the tears from her cheeks before kissing her lips softly.

“I love you.” He murmured. “I’d do anything to make this better.”

She nodded wrapping her arms tightly around his neck holding on to him.

“We need to let everyone know.” She said in a heartbreaking voice.

“And cancel the party.”

She shook her head.

“No everyone is looking forward to it. “ Ella said quietly.

“No.” he said after a moment. “We can’t.”

“Now who is reading whose mind?” she asked looking at him.

“We can’t pretend everything is ok.” he told her quietly. “Not after this. Are you seriously suggesting that we go home and pretend you are still pregnant just so everyone has a good time at the party?””

She nodded slowly.

“It’s for one night. We can tell them first thing Sunday.” She told him.

“Ella no.” he gasped out.

“If I can do it then…” she said slowly.

“Don’t try and blackmail me.” He muttered and eased off the bed. “I’m going to go home and check on the children.” He added slowly. “I’ll be back later.”

She gave him a look before closing her eyes tiredly and leaning back on the pillows. He heard her whimper as she moved and bit his lip.

“Is there anything you want?” he asked her and saw her shake her head. He moved to the door and out before he heard the spoken words.

“Just my baby back.” She said before she started to cry once more.

He spun around walking back over to her taking only three strides to reach the side of her bed. Sitting on the side of the bed he leaned down and kissed her before he felt her tentative movements as she reached out towards him and he once more held her. He felt her shaking in his arms as she sobbed and could find no words to comfort her, could find no words to comfort him.

“Ella.” He whispered her name.

“I know.” She gasped out after a minute.

He held her for a long time until her crying exhausted her into sleep and then he carefully eased her into the bed pulling up the covers just as carefully. He wiped away the last traces of her tears and eased out of the room.

“Roman.” Jacob called softly.

“Jacob.” He murmured,

“What, did she…” he muttered.

“Ella lost the baby.” Roman said.

“I’m sorry.”

“Your sorry doesn’t mean anything at the moment. “ Roman found himself saying unaware the other man flinched at his words. “She doesn’t want everyone to know.”

“What? But the party. It has to be cancelled.”

Roman shook his head.

“She wants the party to go ahead. I’m heading home to check on the children. Are you coming?”

Jacob shook his head his eyes still on the door to Ella’s room.

“I need to clear my head first.” He stated.

“Ok.” Roman said moving away and out to his car. It was then that he remembered that his car was still back at the hotel. He’d travelled here in the ambulance with Ella.

“Need a lift?” Jacob asked coming out after him.

“Thanks.” Roman said tiredly.

“Where do you want to go? Pick up the car or…” Jacob asked once they were in his car.

“I need to see someone. Can you take me to the caravan park?”

“Yeah but you might need to give me directions.”

Roman nodded directing the other man as he drove.

“I’ll wait until you come out.” Jacob murmured as Roman climbed out of the car.

He walked into the house and saw everyone round the table, Aden, Geoff, Mike and Miles. Various piles of chips stacked in front of them and the card game in full swing.

“What are you doing here?” Miles muttered.

“Knew you couldn’t resist.” Aden called out.

“Miles I need to speak to you.” Roman said slowly. He gestured to the small veranda off the kitchen and the other man followed him there.

“What’s up?” Miles asked quickly.

“Ella.” Roman began and found that he was shaking as tears began once more.

“Roman.” Miles said all trace of humour gone he moved quickly to the side of his friend.

“She fell and lost the baby.” He muttered quickly before emotion choked him and he would be unable to say the words. “She wants to keep it quiet and go ahead with the party tomorrow.”

“No.” Miles said. “I can’t offer a woman’s viewpoint but no way.”

“Dad?” Mike asked walking through to them.

“It’s nothing.” Roman muttered.

“If it was nothing you wouldn’t be crying.” Mike told him. “So it’s mum. What happened?”

Roman took a deep breath and told him about Gabby and Jacob and then the trip to the hotel and the nightmare trip to the hospital and finally about losing the baby.

“Party is cancelled.” Mike told him immediately. “There is no way Danni and I would want to celebrate the start of our lives with that going on.”

Roman nodded.

“Hey.” Aden called standing nearby. Geoff too, next to him.

Roman stood up.

“The party is cancelled.” He stated. “I’ve got to get home.”

Mike nodded moving over to him and hugging him.

“I’ll see you in a bit.” He promised.

Roman nodded and walked out through the door seeing Jacob waiting patiently for him.

“Home?” he asked.

Roman nodded again feeling completely drained. He must have dozed because he woke when they reached the house.

“Come in.” he instructed the other man. “You shouldn’t be alone tonight.”

Jacob gave him a look of surprise before nodding and turning the key in the ignition. He followed Roman inside.

“The children are in bed.” Gabby snapped out as soon as she saw him.

“Gabby.” Jacob called her name.

“What happened? I bet you found out it was all a lie concocted by my mother.” She bit out folding her arms.

Roman looked at her and shook his head, all tiredness left him and he grabbed hold of her arm walking up the stairs and dragging her with him.

“You’re hurting me.” She gasped out.

He kicked open her bedroom door and threw her inside.

“Get packed and get out.” he muttered. “You want to know where your mother is? Wells at the moment she’s lying in a hospital bed. Chris pushed her down the stairs at the hotel when Jacob found the evidence in his room. She lost the baby.”

Gabby gasped and looked at him.

“Dad.” She moaned feeling sick.

“No I’m not your father. I never want to see you again. All this anger and spite Gabby and for what? What have we done to you except Ella risking her life when you supposedly had cancer and risking her marriage to protect you. Given you a home and freedom that you never had with them.” he shouted out losing his temper. “And all you’ve done is make her miserable. She would never lie to you Gabby.” He gave a sort bark of harsh laughter. “And she even wants to pretend that everything is fine so you can have your engagement party tomorrow night.”

Gabby looked at him tears pouring down her face. She saw Jacob standing a little way off and she held out her hands in appeal.

“Sorry Gabby I’m done.” Jacob murmured.

He turned and walked out the way he’d come and they heard the front door close behind him.

“I have nowhere to go.” Gabby cried.

“That isn’t my concern.” Roman told her.

He spun around and walked out moving to the nursery first checking on the babies. He found his hand shaking as stroked Lily’s hair back from her face a slow smile on his face as he compared William’s blond curls to Lily’s straight fine golden hair. He pressed a kiss to her cheek before moving over to his son pulling the cover over him as he lent down and kissed him. Walking through to their bedroom he packed a back for Ella and left that on the floor of by the door before heading up the other set of stairs to the attic rooms and the rest of the children. He found Georgie asleep his light still on and the book he had been reading beside him. He gave a slow smile lifting the book away and switching off the light.

“Dad.” Sammy murmured sleepily.

“Yes.” Roman answered kneeling down next to him.

“Is Mummy ok?” he asked.

“She’s fine. Why do you ask?”

“No reason.” He mumbled. “Just seemed to be sleepy today.”

“Yes she was.” Roman told him, “And speaking of sleepy shouldn’t your eyes be closed?”

Sammy let out a giggle before rolling over and snuggling up to travel bear.

“Night daddy.” He said softly.

“Night my babes.” Roman murmured easing out of the room. He walked into the next room with Sophie and Meggy seeing both girls in the one bed and smiled. He walked over to them had gently eased up the cover tighter before kissing them and walking back out of the room. He walked back down the stairs and collected the bag from where he left it. Passing Gabby’s room he saw her sobbing on the bed and for once felt nothing for her not even pity. He walked past and down the stairs. Checking he had his phone and the keys to Ella’s car he went out the back and over to the pool house. The lights were on and he found Danni and Mike in the lounge together.

“Dad.” Mike called out.

“Can you watch the children for me.” He asked.

Mike nodded.

Taking a deep breath he looked at them.

“I’ve thrown Gabby out.” he announced and saw shock on both their faces.

“Dad.” Danni murmured quickly.

He shook his head.

“I can’t have her in the house right now.” He stated. “I just want her gone.”

Mike stood and walked over to him.

“Are you blaming her for what happened? It wasn’t her fault.”

“No I’m blaming her for putting your mother through hell over the past week and then refusing to believe that Chris half raped her.” Roman bit out.

Mike put his hand on Roman’s arm.

“She is Mum’s daughter. You do this and she’ll be upset.”

“I know that but I look at Gabby right now and all I want to do is slap her.” Roman told him.

Mike looked at Danni and then back at Roman.

“Ok.” he said softly. “You get back to the hospital we’ll sort things here.”

Roman nodded and eased out of the pool house. He strode round the front and climbed into Ella’s car. It took half an hour to get back to her side.

“Hey.” She whispered, her eyes closed.

“Sorry.” He told her.

“You told everyone then.”

“Enough.”

She gave a half smile and lifted her hand to him.

“The children ok?” she asked.

Roman eased up on to the bed beside her feeling her immediately curl up in his arms.,

“They are fine.” He told her and bit his lip thinking of Gabby.

“May as well tell me Harris.” She whispered sleepily.

“How do you do that?” he muttered.

“Read your mind? Can’t tell you it’s a secret.” She said with a hint of a laugh.

“I got mad at Gabby.” He confessed then looked at her as she opened her eyes.

“And?” she asked.

“I kicked her out.” he confessed.

“Oh Roman I can’t lose another baby.” She moaned tears beginning again.

“And I can’t have her in the house right now.” He said. “I can’t bear her to hurt you anymore and I’m so mad for the things she’s said and the way she talks to you. Losing her was not our fault but she keeps blaming us.” He sighed.

He heard her sob and kicked himself for adding more stress to her.

“It’s ok.” she whispered holding him closer. “Let’s give it a few days and see.”

He nodded and pressing a kiss to her lips he fell into an exhausted sleep beside her.

“You didn’t hear what he said.” Gabby muttered to Mike.

“I know she wouldn’t want you to be anywhere unsafe. And you don’t have any money.” Danni pointed out.

“I have the car.” Gabby stuttered.

“No way a sister of mine is sleeping rough in a car.” Mike told her. “It’s settled.”

He moved over to her and picked up her bags by the door and carried them through the house and out the back until he placed them in the spare room in his place. Gabby had no choice except to follow him.

“There.” he told her.

She looked at him and then at Danni.

“He’s right Gabby. Mum wouldn’t want you out there without money and certainly not sleeping rough. You need to give them some breathing space and yourself before you decide what to do next.”

Gabby nodded and sank on to the bed watching at the couple moved back out of the room. They disappeared through the garden and back into the main house to take care of the children once more.

Chapter 48

“What’s this?” Ella asked looking at the gift bag Roman was holding out to her.

“It’s usually called a present.” He replied.

“And what have I done to deserve a present?” she replied biting her lip. She caught his amused expression and blushed before wiping her hands nervously on her skirt and accepting the bag.

“It’s just a little something for my gorgeous sexy wife.” He drawled in a low husky voice.

She looked around at the children watching as her dad was playing with them. Irene sitting on the veranda with Colleen enjoying a chinwag. Her Dad had come home as planned, he and Irene travelling up to find the place in chaos. The children upset because of the baby and Gabby moving out and her spending the first three days he was home asleep. He announced that he was having three months accumulated leave before he and Irene moved into their apartment above Mike’s in the pool house.

“I don’t feel very sexy at the moment.” She responded.

He grinned at her before sitting on the blanket next to her.

“I happen to think my wife is very sexy and she turns me on a lot. But right now I know she’s still very sad so I’m happy to wait for those sexy moments.”

“And if they never come back?”

Roman gave her a smouldering look.

“Then I’m more than content for cuddles and kisses.”

“You’re not getting those at the moment either.” She snapped back and frowned at her response. “Roman I’m sorry.”

He leaned forward and kissed the end of her nose.

“El it’s going to take time and I’m not going anywhere.” He said softly. “now are you going to open the bag?”

She gave him a look and then looked down and inside the bag.

“Bed socks?” she gasped out.

He nodded.

“You bought me bed socks?”

He nodded once more.

“And how are these supposed to make me feel sexy?”

“Have you not noticed the effect you standing naked in front of me except for bed socks. I don’t know why they haven’t made them compulsory wear for centrefolds. Just like wow.” He told her sounding serious.

She looked at him glaringly before laughing. He grinned when she dropped the bag and threw her arms around his neck and hugged him.

“You idiot.” She muttered.

“See.” He murmured. “A little bit at a time. Don’t push yourself El.” He whispered.

“Love you.” She told him squeezing him tight to her.

“Love you too.” He said softly.

They eased apart and looked across the garden seeing that the children had stopped playing and were watching them before noticing Gabby standing at the side of the house. She was wearing her overalls from the supermarket job she had taken and was carrying a bag of shopping.

“Hello Darl.” Irene called out to her.

“Want some help with that shopping?” Georgie asked his sister.

She gave him a distracted nod and handed over the bag of things. He walked over to the pool house and inside.

“Hello,” Gabby finally managed to get out.

Ella stood and moved into the house with Roman following behind.

“Give them time.” Irene advised.

“It’s ok Irene.” Gabby said quietly moving into the pool house.

“I’ve put everything away for you Gabby. Are you going to come out?” Georgie asked her.

She shook her head.

“Thanks Georgie.” She murmured to him.

“It’s funny because Mummy likes those ginger biscuits too,.” He said and then looked at her. “Gabby?”

“Sh.” She gasped out. “You can’t say anything.”

“But Mummy should know.” He said frowning.

“Do you think its right that I should tell her after what she has just been through?” Gabby asked placing a hand on her still flat stomach.

“She’ll be happy.” He told her.

“No Georgie it will upset her. I’m not going to be the one to upset her anymore.” Gabby said softly. “Please keep my secret.”

“Gabby I’m worse than Sammy at keeping secrets. I’m a twin.” He pointed out. “There is nothing I know that my sister doesn’t find out.”

“Georgie please. I’ve nearly got enough money saved up so I can go away and not upset anyone.” She begged, her eyes filling with tears.

“Gabby you can’t go away you are our sister. I won’t let you.”

She collapsed on to the sofa and felt him move over to her and cautiously put his arms around her. He held her as she cried, awkwardly patting her back.

“Are we going to talk?” Roman asked Ella.

“No.” she mumbled lifting the clothes out of the washer and transferring them to the drier.

“I’m mad at Gabby doesn’t mean you can’t talk to her if you want.” He said moving over and taking the pile of dry washing from her arms. He dropped it on the sofa and began folding it.

“I can’t explain it.” she said moving to help fold sheets.

“Try?” he suggested and grimaced when it came out more like an order.

“I feel the need to back you up over this.” She said haltingly.

“Ok.” he said softly.

“And you are right I have been hurt by the things she’s come out with the past few months. Since she got with Jacob.”

“Well they aren’t together anymore. Meggy gives me regular updates.” Roman told her.

She gave him a look and then frowned again.

“Why didn’t Gabby say anything?” she muttered then remembered that they weren’t talking.

“See.” Roman said quietly. “It’s starts with a simple hello. You aren’t betraying me. I would never want to be responsible for you not being with one of your children El.”

“You are doing that a lot.” She pointed out.

“What?” he asked puzzled.

“Calling me El. It’s starting to annoy me.”

He laughed.

“Sorry.” He murmured.

“So if I went over now?” she asked.

“I would support you. Aren’t you having a bridesmaid fitting tomorrow night?” Roman said softly piling up the last of the folded clothes and picking them up.

Ella nodded.

“And do you still want her to be a bridesmaid?” he asked.

Ella nodded again.

“Then you need to go say hello and let her know.” He told her. He walked over to her and kissed her. “Please Ella.” He added.

“Ok.” she murmured.

“Good.” He said and walked over to the stairs. He gave her a last look before climbing the stairs and moving through the rooms putting the laundry away.

Ella turned and moved out the back over to the pool house.

“Hello.” She called knocking softly on the door.

Georgie gave his mum a startled glance before stepping away from Gabby.

“Tell her she mustn’t leave Mum.” He said.

“You are right you can’t keep secrets.” Gabby told him.

“You can’t leave not until after the wedding anyway.” Ella told her. “We are having a fitting of the bridesmaid dresses tomorrow night are you able to come?”

Gabby stood up and looked at her.

“You still want me to be a bridesmaid?” she gasped out.

Ella nodded.

“And you should know your Dad made me come over here.”

Georgie prodded his sister and grinned at her when she gave him a look.

“Then yes I will be there tomorrow.” Gabby told her.

“Good.” Ella said softly. “Come on Georgie let your sister have some peace.”

He smiled and moved out with his mum.

“What are you grinning at Mister?” she asked him.

“I told her you wouldn’t hate her forever.”

“Oh babes I never hated her it’s just been….” She stopped.

“Because of the baby and Chris.” Georgie told her. “We know. We’ve been sad too Mummy.”

“I know you have my little man and don’t think I don’t appreciate all the extra hugs and quiet times I’ve been getting from you lately.”

He shrugged.

“It’s ok.” he murmured.

“It’s not just ok, it’s pretty special and I am really proud of all my kids.” She told him hugging him.

“Love you mum.” He told her before breaking away and running over to the rest of them.

“You ok Darl?” Irene asked her.

Ella nodded before looking at her watch she gave a groan and then started in surprise as Roman moved to stand next to her.

“You ready?” Roman called out.

Ella looked at him in surprise.

“You coming to my counselling session?” she asked raised an eyebrow as she looked at him.

He grinned.

“No.” he told her. “I’ve got some shopping to do.”

“Secret shopping?” she asked rushing inside to grab her handbag.

“Get a move on. I have a haircut booked too.” He said without answering her question.

“No.” she muttered before she could stop herself.

“You don’t want my hair cut?” he asked slowly.

She blushed and then groaned as he chuckled.

“Soon be modelling those socks for me.” He said quietly in her ear as they moved out grinning as she blushed even more.

Chapter 49

“Take a seat.” Rachel said softly.

Ella sank down pulling a cushion on her lap and hugging it.

“Ella we aren’t going to talk about anything you don’t want to.” Rachel told her.

“I know.” Ella said and then looked down at the placing of the cushion. “Oh.” She added.

Rachel smiled easing into a chair opposite her.

“I can’t bear Roman to touch me.” Ella said after a moment.

“That’s normal in the circumstances.”

“Then explain how I’m supposed to get married to him again in a matter of weeks.”

“El.” Rachel murmured.

Ella looked at her.

“Let me guess there are no easy answers here.”

“Ella you know there aren’t. You lost a baby in horrible circumstances. You have an ongoing situation with one of your other children and I’ve told you under no circumstances should you think about trying for another baby.”

Ella nodded.

“Have you told him that yet?” Rachel asked her.

“No.” Ella said after a minute of silence.

“Don’t you think maybe that has something to do with why you aren’t sleeping with him?”

“I thought you said these sessions would help me?” Ella pouted. “I don’t know why I don’t want him. We’re not even sleeping in the same bed at the moment. And I know I’m being distant with the other children.”

“It’s been five weeks. Why are you pushing yourself?” Rachel asked her.

“Because I’m supposed to go on my honeymoon with him in just over five weeks and I want to have a honey moon. I want to want my husband and make love with him. He’s being all nice and it’s driving me mad.” Ella cried out.

“Ok, lets take a step back here.” Rachel murmured calmly. “And you can keep the cushion if it makes you feel better.”

Ella looked at her and then down at the cushion she was now hugging and smiled.

“Ok.” she said. “I love him but I don’t want to be with him.”

“Fine.” Rachel said softly.

“I mean I don’t want his kisses and his holding my hand.”

“Ok.” Rachel nodded.

“That isn’t helping!” Ella cried out.

“What do you want me to say Ella? That er… not wanting your husband is the first sign of the irretrievable breakdown of your marriage?” Rachel asked a light in her eyes.

“Yes.” Ella snapped. “Anything but be nice to me. I can’t stand that everyone is tiptoeing around me.”

“Ok.” Rachel said and watched as Ella glared angrily at her. “Who are you mad at right now?”

“Roman.” Ella snapped out.

“Why?” Rachel asked just as quickly.

“Because he promised that Chris wasn’t going to hurt me and he let him murder my baby.” Ella said.

She looked at Rachel in horror before tears poured down her face.

“It’s ok.” Rachel said softly moving to sit next to her.

She took Ella in her arms and held her as she cried.

“Have I made a breakthrough?” she asked after a minute.

“Ella.” Rachel called her name softly. “There is a lot of anger and hurt here. You need to let it out.”

She looked at the doctor and shook her head.

“What if I say something and…” she paused. “It goes wrong?”

“In what way?” Rachel asked her. “How do you think it can go wrong?”

“I don’t want to start arguing with him again.” Ella said slowly.

“Ok. Do you think you might argue if you tell him how you feel?”

“Rachel don’t do that.” Ella grumbled.

“Answer the question El.”

“It’s been good Rachel. Really good. Loving. I don’t want to lose that.” Ella said finally twisting the corner of the cushion.

“So you think that if you tell him anything negative that will upset this balance you have in the relationship?” Rachel asked her after a minute.

Ella nodded wiping at her eyes.

“Is that part of the reason you’ve gone along with him over Gabby?” Rachel asked.

“Maybe.” Ella told her. “But also Gabby has been out of line. She should have trusted me.”

“Do you blame Gabby for the miscarriage? If she hadn’t doubted you then you wouldn’t have gone over to see Chris.” Rachel pointed out.

“God you are delving deep today.” Ella said with a little moan. “No I don’t blame Gabby. I went to the hotel, no one made me.”

“But you said you blamed Roman earlier?”

“I did.” She murmured. “It’s not his fault either though. It’s Chris’.”

“And?” Rachel asked her.

“Mine.” Ella said squeezing the cushion.

“Why?” Rachel shot back immediately.

“Because I wanted to believe that Chris was ok. I’ve only had three serious relationships. If I were so wrong about Chris and Dane then what does it say about me and Roman?”

“And how long have you and Roman been together?”

“On and off?” Ella asked with a grin. “Nearly 13 years.”

“And you think what? That it’s going to fail now? When you are about to get married again in a few weeks? If you argue?”

“See you annoyed me with the one question and now you are asking me three.”

“Ella stop trying to put me off you know it’s not going to work.” Rachel gave her a look and the two women shared a smile.

“I think that it can go bad really quick Rachel.” Ella told her after a minute of silence. “I don’t want to be part of a relationship where we just hurt each other again and again. We nearly went there once already.”

“Why?” Rachel asked.

“Because I found out he came to see me years ago and chickened out before he even said hello.” Ella muttered

“And how did you respond to that?” Rachel asked her softly.

“Practically kicked him out.” Ella groaned. Told him I didn’t want to marry him.”

“Would you say you resolved that issue?” Rachel asked curiously.

“Things got bad and then I realised that it wasn’t so important to be mad at him for something that happened years ago.” Ella sighed. “We were different people then. Who knows what would have happened.”

“But you were able to talk about this?” Rachel asked.

“Didn’t need to talk about it. Not like that anyway. We did talk but in general. He admitted that he was struggling after leaving the army so it wouldn’t have been the right time for him.”

“Sounds very understanding.” Rachel nodded.

“I blew up at him before I thought about it though.”

Rachel gave the other woman a smile.

“And are you afraid that the same thing could happen again?”

“Maybe.” Ella admitted. “And it’s not fair.”

Rachel looked down at her notepad hiding her expression. “What isn’t fair?” She asked Ella.

“To blame him.” Ella sighed once more. “ He couldn’t have stopped what happened.”

“Ok.” Rachel said.

“Is my time up Doc?” Ella murmured cheekily.

“Nearly.” Rachel told her. “Are you going to tell him?”

“That I blamed him?” Ella shook her head.

“You know that’s not what I’m asking.”

“Yes.” Ella nodded. “It wasn’t like we were planning another baby.”

She looked at Rachel as the tears began again.

“It’s ok to grieve.” Rachel said quietly.

“I don’t want to.” Ella muttered scrubbing at her face.

“Grieve? Its part of the healing.”

“But then I have to say goodbye to the baby. Rachel I didn’t even get a scan.”

“I know.” Rachel said softly the appointment for the first scan having been a week after she miscarried. “But you know that you need to Ella. You need to say goodbye and let yourself heal. And you need to forgive yourself.”

“Why would I need to do that?” Ella muttered her eyes red from crying.

“Because you blame yourself.”

“Rachel.” Ella said twisting the cushion once more.

“Your body couldn’t carry the baby. You went to the hotel. You fell.” Rachel said softly hating having to push this. “And now you’ve been told that under no circumstances should you try again.”

Ella shook her head.

“El.” Rachel said softly.

“I can’t do that.”

“What Ella?”

“Give up.” She muttered in response.

“Give up?”

“Roman wants a baby.”

“I’m sure he’d prefer to have a wife.” Rachel told her. “And I’d prefer my friend to be here.”

Ella looked at her and sighed.

“I need to tell him don’t I?” she said slowly.

“Yes El.” Rachel sighed. “I’m sorry Ella but you have so many wonderful children please take care of yourself. We lost you once we don’t want to do it again.”

“Do you think that not sleeping with him is down to that?” Ella asked her.

“I don’t know.” Rachel said. “Do you feel less of a woman? Are you scared of getting pregnant?”

“Great two more questions.” Ella groaned. “No and maybe yes. He tells me he still finds me sexy but I don’t feel sexy I feel like a failure.” She paused, thinking of the other question. “I’m not scared of getting pregnant. I’m scared that I might trap him.”

“Sexy will come back. I mean William was conceived in a janitors closet because you couldn’t keep your hands off him.”

“Aden Jefferies has a lot to answer for.” Ella groaned blushing.

“So when you tell him that you are under medical orders not to get pregnant he will take care of things.”

“And maybe that is part of the reason I’m not telling him?” Ella asked Rachel.

“Could be.” Rachel confirmed. “We talked a lot this session. Take some time to think about some of these issues.”

Ella nodded.

“Pacing or sitting reading a magazine?” she asked.

“Pacing.” Rachel grinned.

Ella reluctantly put down the cushion and stood up form the comfortable sofa. She and Rachel walked over to the door and opened it slowly to reveal Roman pacing the other side. They turned to each other and grinned.

“Pacing.” They said at the same time.

Archived