A Summer Bay Wedding II

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 31

Gabby jumped as the knock on the door sounded. Looking around she saw that no-one seemed to notice.

“I’ll get it.” Meggy called out.

“It’s ok I’ll go.” Gabby said shooting up form the table. She looked in horror as Meggy got the first.

“What do you want? I’m doing my homework.” Meggy shouted out.

“Meggy.” Jacob said with a groan putting two and two together. “Harris.” He added.

“Who is it Megs?” Ella asked walking up behind her to the door. She was cradling Lily on her hip.

“It’s my teacher.” Meggy cried out.

“Jacob.” Ella said slowly.

“He’s checking I’m doing my homework.” Megs said folding her arms and glaring at him.

“I think he’s hear to ask Gabby out.” Ella told her daughter.

“But Gabby doesn’t go to school.” Meggy muttered and then gave him a look. “Are you kissing my sister?” she asked.

“Ok Meggy that’s enough trying to embarrass him. Go tell Gabby that he is here.” Ella instructed.

“I honestly didn’t know.” Jacob stuttered.

“It’s ok.” Ella murmured. “Would you like to come in?” she asked politely. “Meet everyone properly?”

He looked past her shoulder and saw Gabby nodding furiously and nodded himself.

Ella held open the door and gave him a smile of encouragement as he stepped inside. He moved over to stand next to Gabby smiling at her as she took hold of his hand. Ella shut the door and moved ahead of them into the lounge.

“Ok, this one is Lily.” Ella said placing her daughter on the floor next to William. “And the baby is William.”

She caught sight of Gabby smiling at her and she gave her a small smile in return.

“Liam.” Lily said pointing at her brother.

“We have Sammy over there.” Ella pointed to the sofa where Sammy was perched on cushions, a blanket over him.

“Hey.” Sammy murmured.

“He just came home from the hospital.” Meggy supplied.

“How are you Sammy?” Jacob asked him.

“I’m ok. I’ve got a cool scar do you want to see it?”

“Sammy.” Ella murmured. “He’s asking everyone.” She explained to Jacob.

“Georgie and Meggy you’ve already met.” She added tongue in cheek. “And finally Sophie.”

“Hello Mr Smith.” Sophie said cheekily.

“Sophie.” he said.

“Does someone want to get him a drink?” Ella asked.

“No.” Georgie muttered and then flushed as they looked at him.

“Ok that will be a no vote from Georgie. Anyone else?” Ella said grinning.

“Juice?” Lily said holding up her cup.

“I’m fine actually. Gabby.” Jacob turned to her. “Shall we go?”

“In a minute.” She said. “I just need a minute.” She added and turned to run up the stairs.

Ella moved over to Lily and took her empty cup from her walking into the kitchen and putting some orange juice in it. She took it back through and handed the cup over to her.

“Are you sure you don’t want anything?” Ella asked him.

“I’m fine thanks.” Jacob said shifting his weight from one foot to the other.

She nodded and moved to sit at the table with the other children.

“We do our homework everyday after school.” Meggy said to him.

“I can tell. “ Jacob said softly.

Meggy gave him a look and then looked over at Georgie.

“Ok I’m ready.” Gabby said walking back into the room.

Jacob looked at her and smiled before moving towards her and holding out his hand.

She placed her hand into his and they moved to the door.

“We’ll see you later.” She called out.

Ella nodded and lifted her hand in a half salute before standing herself and moving to the kitchen. She took out a bottle of water for herself and took a drink.

“What time will Daddy be back?” Georgie asked.

“His shift finishes at 8. You’ll be in bed before he gets in.” she told them.

“But we don’t go to bed that early.” Meggy said and winced when Ella gave her a grin.

“I don’t like him going out with Gabby.” Georgie muttered.

Ella smiled at her son.

“It’s a bit funny isn’t it?” she asked him. “Meggy’s teacher being Gabby’s boyfriend.”

He nodded.

“What if he talks to Gabby the way he spoke to Meggy?” he asked quickly.

“I think Gabby will kick him.” Meggy said before realising that she had spoken aloud.

“Thank you Meggy.” Ella said to her. “Maybe Gabby will decide that she doesn’t like him? We don’t know it’s between him and Gabby. You have to remember not to be cheeky to him at school because he’s still your teacher.”

Meggy nodded gravely.

“Good girl.” Ella said moving over and giving her daughter a kiss.

“Mummy.” Sophie murmured.

“Yes babes.”

“Did I hear you and Daddy talking about going to the studio this weekend?” she asked.

Ella nodded.

“Daddy has to find a suit for the wedding and we need to pick up bridesmaid dresses.” Ella explained slowly.

“Cool.” Sophie squealed excitedly getting up from her seat and dancing around.

Ella grinned.

“Does that mean you’ve finished your homework Sophie?” she asked her daughter

Sophie flushed and sat back down.

Meggy gave her sister a look and chuckled.

Roman wiped down the last table and contemplated closing the diner when he heard the door open.

“Sorry.” Chris called out. “Looks like you were closing.”

“Just about, you after food?” Roman asked the other man taking in the suit that he was sure Nic would instantly point out as designer and the expensive shoes.

“Yeah, I got in about twenty minutes ago and the cupboard is bare.” He said jovially with a smile that Meggy would tell him showed way too many teeth.

Roman nodded.

“What can I get you?” he asked politely.

Chris made a show of looking over the menu.

“Can I get a chicken salad and a coffee.” He said.

Roman nodded and moved into the kitchen.

“She told me about you.” Chris called out. “Lizzie.”

Roman moved out of the kitchen and handed over the coffee.

“Really, and she prefers Ella.” Roman told him keeping his tone civil.

“Ella.” Chris murmured his tone somehow proprietorial.

Roman gave the other man a slow smile and made a note not to let himself be goaded into anything. He somehow got the feeling that was all Chris had turned up at the diner for.

“Well she didn’t mention you.” Roman told him with a grin.

“Really? I hurt her that much.” Chris muttered.

“Not really, we just didn’t bother talking about stuff that didn’t matter.” Roman told him and moved into the kitchen to prepare the salad.

He came out a moment later and placed the plate in front of him.

“Here you go.” Roman murmured.

“Thanks.” Chris told him flicking his gaze at the other man before looking down at his plate.

“No worries.” Roman told him giving his best customer service smile before he moved back into the kitchen and cleaned away the food once more. He set the dishwasher on before reaching for his phone as it rang.

“Hey Sammy.” he murmured. “No one last customer before I come home. Stay awake for me I won’t be long.” He promised his son.

“Hey handsome I bet it’s your mystery blonde keeping you away from me.” Ella said coming on the line.

“No it’s Chris actually.” Roman told her.

He was all too aware that the other man was probably listening in to his side of the conversation.

“Really?” Ella muttered. “I hope you haven’t kissed him.”

Roman let out a sudden bark of surprised laughter.

“I’ll be home soon.” He told her.

“That’s good. Can you bring me some cheesecake?” she muttered.

“Ella Harris?” he found himself asking.

“I just fancy something sweet.”

“Yeah, fancy or crave?” he asked quickly.

“Fancy. I’ve got chocolate but I just remembered that cheesecake that Colleen made the other day.” She told him with a laugh. “It’s still too early to tell.”

Roman moved to the further point in the kitchen and lowered his voice.

“What time do you think did it? Was it that time at the studio when…”

“Roman Harris I’m so hanging up on you now.” She interrupted him.

“Love you too.” He said in a louder tone of voice hearing her chuckle on the other end of the call as she realised why he’d said it that way. He clicked his phone shut as the call ended and put it in his pocket.

“Sorry I’m obviously keeping you.” Chris murmured to him.

“It’s ok.” Roman told the other man smoothly.

Chris nodded before he spoke again.

“I never would have pictured you here in a small town like this from Ella description of you.”

“Really.” Roman said with a shrug folding his arms across his chest.

“Yeah, I had you pegged for a lifer. You know one of those guys who stays in no matter what. Going from war to war.” Chris said to him.

Roman shrugged again, ignoring the hit of anger going through him.

“I was never one of those. El’s Dad is.” Roman said and saw the flash of shock on the other man’s face as the mention of her father. “Did you meet George?” he asked.

“No.” Chris said. “Never did.”

Roman nodded.

“Can I get you a refill?” he asked indicating the coffee.

“Sure.” Chris murmured. “So you met the old man.” He added conversationally.

“George stays with us when he’s in Australia. He’ll be home in a few weeks.” Roman said. “If you are still around then maybe you can meet him.”

He moved out of the kitchen and placed the cup in front of the other man.

“I’m not sure what my pans are yet.” Chris said slowly. “Is he coming back for the wedding?”

Roman focused on his feet for a minute before lifting his head and looking at the other man.

“Yeah.” He said slowly.

“I’m a little confused though, because Ella introduced you as her husband.”

“We are married but you know what women are like they want the big fancy weddings.” Roman grinned as he said it watching the other man carefully.

“I hear that.” Chris told him.

He pushed his plate forward and put down his knife and fork.

“That was good, thanks.” Chris said. He drained his cup and stood up. “What do I owe you?” he asked.

“Don’t worry about it.” Roman told him. “It’s on the house, after all you are an old friend of Ella’s.”

“Well thanks.” Chris murmured.

He gave Roman a nod as he moved out.

Roman watched him go before he cleared away the pots and selected a couple portions of the cheesecake to take home.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 32

Roman loaded the last bag into the car and grinned at Sophie who for once was already in the car.

“You know you don’t have to come with us. You can stay with Angel?” he murmured to her.

“Roman stop teasing your daughter.” Ella said walking out with Sammy. She helped him ease up into the car and after fastening the seatbelt she put a cover over him.

“Where are the others?” he asked.

“Got a fire in your pants Mister?” Ella turned and asked him.

“Maybe.” He murmured pressing her against the side of the car and kissing her.

“Will you behave?” she muttered pushing at his chest and laughing at him.

She moved away and collected William and took hold of Lily’s hand leading them to the car.

“Georgie get a move on!” Roman shouted up the stairs.

Meggy peered over the banister before running down the stairs.

“You weren’t going without me were you?” she asked him quickly.

“Of course not Sophie.” he replied smiling at her.

“Daddy.” Meggy cried.

He leaned down and picked her up and giving her a kiss before he carried her to the car. He sat her next to Sammy and helped her with the seatbelt.

“Bigger car.” He told Ella.

She looked puzzled for a minute before smiling.

“Bigger house.” She replied.

Roman chuckled and moved past her back inside to nudge Georgie again. He saw his son walking down the stairs towards him.

“Any slower and we’ll be back before you got into the car.” Roman said to him.

Georgie sighed.

“Daddy.” He murmured.

“What’s up son?” Roman grinned as he called him son.

“Just tired.” He murmured.

“Been worrying about Sammy?” Roman asked him.

Georgie nodded.

“He’s ok.” Roman tried to reassure him.

“I know but I used to keep him awake when I was reading. What if that made him poorly?”

Roman sighed and reached over to his son. He put his arms around him.

“It was his appendix. It wasn’t caused by a bit of sleeplessness.” Roman told him slowly.

“Now are you ready your Mum wants to make us try on suits.” He added.

Georgie nodded and moved out with him.

“All set?” Ella asked.

Roman nodded grinning as she gave them both one of her smiles. He watched as Georgie got in the car and waited until he’d fastened his seatbelt before shutting the door.

He held his hand out for the car keys and grinned when she reluctantly handed them over.

“We’ll be there so much quicker if I drive.” He murmured grinning at her expression.

“That’s one.” Ella said softly.

“One what?” he asked climbing behind the wheel of the car.

“I’ll let you work it out.” she murmured softly.

He started the car and eased out of the driveway.

Mike picked up his phone and looked at the display. He clicked it open and dialled.

“Hey.” he murmured when the call had been answered.

“Hey yourself. Do you ever answer your phone or are you and Danni way too busy fooling around?” Brett asked him.

“Brett Jefferies I can’t believe you said that.” Mike said grinning.

Brett chuckled.

“So I understand that the olds are away this weekend.” Brett murmured.

“Left about an hour ago.” Mike confirmed. “What were you thinking?”

“Just using the pool and maybe having one or two drinks.”

Mike laughed.

“One or two huh?” he asked.

“Stay away from Ella’s vodka.” Aden shouted out in the background.

Mike laughed.

“I guess you heard that.” Brett murmured to Mike.

“Sure did.” Mike chuckled. “I guess they learnt that lesson the hard way.”

“I wonder what the story is.”

“Maybe you should ask.” Mike suggested to him.

“Uh huh. So about drinks and stuff.” Brett murmured.

“Come on over.” Mike said looking over at Danni.

She nodded at him.

“Ok mate see you soon.” Brett hung up.

“Is he coming?” Danni asked.

“Yeah.” Mike grinned. “Aden shouted out in the background about Ella’s vodka.”

“I wonder what that is about.” Danni mused walking over to sit with him on the sofa.

“I don’t’ know. How are we for drinks? Should I nip to the bottle shop?”

Danni giggled.

“Uh huh.” Mike said looking at her.

“We sound so domestic.” She grinned.

“That we do. I can’t wait.” He murmured leaning over and kissing her.

Danni giggled at him.

“We should think about a date then.” She murmured.

Mike looked at her and smiled before picking her up and lifting her into his lap. He looked at her long dark hair and blue eyes and her smiling rosebud lips. He still saw a resemblance between her and his Mum but he also saw the way her eyes titled up at the corners, the way her lips were different, the paleness of her skin and yet she didn’t have freckles. He’d never noticed that before when he’d continually looked for similarities between her and Ella, back when he tried to put Danni in the role of his sister. He loved the fact that Ella had known the he felt more for Danni than he ever let on. He knew too, that she hadn’t just made sure that she kept her around so he didn’t lose her but wanted to give Danni all the love she had missed out on.

“What are you looking at?” she said softly.

“My beautiful wife to be.” Mike said quietly. “Do you know how hard I tried to convince myself that you were my sister?”

Danni looked at him seeming sad.

“I’m sorry.” She said her voice quiet.

“Don’t ever apologise. “ he told her. “Because if you hadn’t come into our lives then we wouldn’t have been here.”

She put her arms around his neck and hugged him.

“I want to find my real family.” She told him blurting out the thing she had been secretly thinking about for ages.

“Danni.” He murmured her name. “How long have you been thinking about that?”

“A while.” She admitted. “Do you think that Jacko could do it? I’ve been saving my money.”

Mike smiled at her.

“I’m sure he’d be able to help.”

She nodded.

“Its not that you aren’t enough.” She began.

“Danni it’s ok.” Mike interrupted her, before kissing her softly, her lips perfect for his. “I know ok. You want to know where you come from.”

She nodded.

“And don’t worry about the parents they will understand too.” He added.

She gave him a grateful look before standing up and holding her hand out to him. He took her hand and they moved to the kitchen looking in the cupboards for snack food and drinks.

“Check out what’s in the other kitchen?” She asked, referring to the main house.

Mike grinned.

“Anything except her vodka.” He said.

“Carry Sammy up.” Ella murmured to Roman.

He nodded.

“I can walk.” Sammy told her.

“I know sweets but we want to take care of you.”

“I’ll help him.” Meggy said quickly.

“Want to try Sammy?” Roman knelt down and asked his son.

Sammy nodded.

Roman grinned at him and unfastened his seatbelt helping him out of the car chuckling as Meggy sprinted out and took hold of her brother’s hand.

“Coming Lily?” he turned next to his daughter.

She nodded and let him pick her up. He stood up with her and moved to one side to let Ella pick up William in his capsule. She turned and waited as Sophie and Georgie climbed out of the car.

“Mummy when do we get the bridesmaids dresses?” Sophie asked.

“Tomorrow. We are going shopping and having lunch out.” Ella told her.

“Do we have to shop with the girls?” Georgie asked looking at Sophie and sticking his tongue out when she glared at him.

“Friad so.” Roman said.

They moved out of the garage and up the stairs into the studio.

“See Mummy I did it.” Sammy said looking at her.

“So you did Samson, just go easy ok. “ Ella grinned at him.

He nodded and moved over to the sofa.

“Who wants a drink?” Roman asked them.

“I’d love a coffee.” Ella told him.

He gave her a meaningful look with a glance down at her flat belly.

“Yes coffee.” She told him. “One won’t hurt.”

He grinned and moved into the kitchen.

“Can I get juice please?” Meggy asked walking over to him.

Roman nodded and moved to the fridge.

“Juice please.” Lily called out.

Roman found himself grinning as he filled some beakers for the children and finally Lily’s cup. He handed them out smiling some more as Meggy took Sammy his drink before collecting her own. He caught Ella grinning at him and he held out his hand to her.

“Gooey.” She said quietly moving over to him.

“And you want to keep me that way don’t you.”

“I’m not the one who “Forgot”.” She murmured.

He blushed and leaned over to kiss her. He caught the scent of her perfume and grinned some more when he realised it was the one he’d bought her.

“Love you.” He whispered against her lips.

Ella smiled and moved away to see to William. She lifted him out of his carrier and carried him through to the bedroom to change him letting him toddle back to the others when they were done.

“Mummy he’s walking.” Sophie gasped out.

“Lily taught him.” Ella told her.

“That’s so cool.” Meggy grinned and held out her hands to her brother.

Lily laughed and ran over to them.

“Drink William?” Roman asked.

He looked at him and nodded.

“ink.” He lisped.

Roman grinned at his son and poured him out a drink in his bottle before handing it carefully over to him.

“You look any prouder and you’ll burst.” Ella said quietly walking over to him and pressing a kiss to his lips.

“My son is walking and talking. Perfect time for another one.” He said raising his eyebrows at her.

“And what about me getting time back for myself?” she asked still grinning at him.

“Well I’ll be a stay at home dad.” He suggested.

Ella turned and gave him a look seeing that he was serious.

“Roman Harris.” She said softly.

“What do you say when they have gone to bed we really try?” he murmured wickedly in her ear.

“Down boy.” She said to him and then laughed as William looked at her and sat on the floor.

“Mummy that was funny.” Meggy cried out.

“I knew you had them trained.” Roman said with a laugh.

“William I wasn’t talking to you.” Ella told her little boy. She moved over to him and picked him up cuddling him close as she went over to the sofa and sank down.

“Mama.” Lily said climbing on beside her.

“What babes?” Ella said with a smile.

“dinner?” she lisped.

“Is that everyone?” Roman asked them.

“I’m hungry.” Georgie said quietly.

Ella patted the sofa next to her and he came over and sat beside her.

“What would you like to eat babes?” she asked her son.

“I don’t know. What does Sammy want?” Georgie asked quickly.

Ella leaned over and kissed him.

“I think Sammy will be ok with what you want. Pizza, Chinese, Italian?” Ella said quietly.

“Pizza.” Georgie decided.

“Everyone?” Ella murmured.

“I would like pizza.” Sammy said quickly.

“Ok, Sophie do you want to order it?” Ella asked softly.

Sophie gave a start of surprise before jumping up.

“What do we want?” she asked.

“Vegetarian for me.” Ella told her.

She moved over to the notice board and took off the notepad and pen and the menu and wrote it down before handing the menu to Georgie. He told her his choice.

“Meggy do you want to share one with me?” Sophie asked.

Meggy nodded putting her drink down and pointing out what she liked. Sophie nodded and walked carefully over to her dad writing on the pad. He showed her his choice and she nodded again.

“Ok.” she said and read the list back. “Just leaves Sammy?”

“I want ham and pineapple.” He told her quietly.

She nodded and wrote it down.

“Do we want garlic bread?” she asked.

“I think so.” Roman said watching as she wrote that down.

“Ok.” she said again and moved to the phone.

There heard her give the order before handing the phone to Roman.

“They want the address.” She muttered looking at her shoes.

He nodded and handed the phone back before reciting the address for her.

“Get some salads.” Ella said quickly.

She grinned as Sophie added Salad to the order before asking how long it would be. She hung up and looked at them.

“Brilliant Sophie.” Ella told her daughter and heard her sigh.

“No Sophie that was wonderful. Well done babes.” Roman said to her giving her a hug.

“Now then what do we want to do?”

“Can we play a game?” Sammy asked.

“Cards?” Ella suggested and he grinned.

“Do you want to choose a film Meggy?” Roman asked her as he moved over to the cupboard and took out a pack of cards sitting next to Sammy.

Sophie smiled.

“Can I go look in your trunk of clothes?” she asked quickly.

Ella nodded and grinned as Sophie sprinted up and ran down the stairs to her studio.

“You want to go too Meggy?” Roman asked.

She looked over at Sammy and smiled.

“I think so.” She said before standing up and moving the way Sophie had.

“Poor Meggy.” Georgie said looking at the way she had gone. “We should have brought Angel with us.”

Sammy chuckled.

“Just be thankful that Meggy came otherwise it would be one of us getting dressed up.” He told his brother.

Georgie giggled before moving to sit with Sammy and taking the pack of cards.

“Go fish?” he asked.

Sammy nodded and they began playing the game.

“Guess I get to chose the film.” Roman said with a grin.

Ella looked at him and smiled.

“William needs to be changed again.” She told him. “Want some practice?”

Roman raised his eyebrow and looked at her.

“As a house husband.” She pointed out.

He chuckled and reached for his son taking him into the nursery he had added to the apartment when he’d reopened it.. He moved quickly over to the changing table, chuckling as Lily and Ella followed behind.

“Lily big girl now.” Ella told her.

Lily nodded.

“Do you want potty?”

Lily shook her head and looked down.

“Are you sure?”

Ella moved over to the other side of the room and picked up the potty carrying it through to the bathroom with Lily following her. She placed it on the floor and turned making a fuss of the towels hiding her grin when Lily began pulling down her training pants and sat on the potty.

“Good girl.” She commented when she’d finished.

She helped Lily pull up her pants and took the potty over to the toilet to empty it.

“Lily flush?” she asked her.

Lily nodded and pulled the handle on the toilet.

“Now wash hands?” Ella asked her turning on the tap and checking the temperature before washing her own hands. Lily climbed up on the stool and put her hands under the tap playing with the water before she finally added soap and cleaned her hands.

“Well done.” Ella murmured kissing her daughter as she handed her a towel to dry her hands.

Lily beamed and ran out of the bathroom ahead of her mother over to her brothers.

“I is good.” She told them.

Georgie chuckled.

Roman patted the sofa next to him and Ella moved to sit next to him. She felt his arm go round her as she snuggled. Lily climbed up with her and she lay down with her daughter her head resting on the pillow Roman placed on his lap for her and Lily in her arms.

“Perfect.” He said softly stroking her hair.

“William asleep?” she asked quietly.

“Yup.” Roman grinned. “What do you want to eat Lily?”

“Chocolate.” She replied.

Roman chuckled.

“How about a sandwich?” he suggested.

Lily lifted her head and looked at him.

“Chocolate.” She said again.

“Lils, how about a sandwich with chocolate spread?” Ella suggested to her daughter.

Lily nodded.

“I likes.” She told them.

“But first you have to eat something yummy.” Ella said slowly.

“Yummy?” Lily asked.

“Liam eat boiled egg and soldiers.”

“Me eat too.” Lily told her.

“That’s right. Daddy make boiled eggs and soldiers for you and Liam. And for pudding chocolate sandwich.”

Lily grinned.

Roman chuckled and reached over to catch hold of Ella’s hand taking it in his.

“Daddy go make boiled eggs.” He said slowly.

Ella eased up and let him move to the kitchen before she snuggled back down and pulled the throw over her and Lily.

“Liam sleeps?” Lily asked lifting her head and looking at her mother before yawning.

“Yes babes. Liam sleeps.” Ella told her putting her arms around her daughter. “Lily sleeps?”

“Lily sleeps.” Lily told her closing her eyes and lying back down.

Chapter 33

“This one.” Roman suggested.

Ella tilted her head to one side and gave him a look.

“I’ll take that as a no.” he grumbled.

“You wanted this wedding remember.” Ella reminded him, again.

He looked at her and sighed.

“I am trying on the next suit I like and if it fits I’m having it.” he threatened and saw Georgie and Sammy perk up at the statement.

“You’ll have the suit if I like it and ti goes with the bridesmaid dresses.” Ella said sternly folding her arms.

“Hey.” Roman groaned. “You tell me off for the arm folding thing.” He pointed out.

“And you ignore what I say.” Ella said with a pout.

Roman grinned and leaned over and kissed her.

“Ok what are we looking for?” he asked her.

Ella glanced around the store and caught sight of Meggy and Sophie standing by the wedding dresses. She looked back to Roman.

“It has to go with this.” She told him pulling out her organiser and showing him the swatch of pale yellow material. “So the material can’t be too dark but if its not dark enough it’ll just pick up the base colour of the material so will look either more brown than black or more blue because black is quite often made up of a combination of other colour dyes.”

Roman starred at her.

“Ok, Nic is so not coming to our house again.” He stated before looking around the suits again.

“And it’s the middle of summer so we need something you can wear comfortably for most of the day.” She added as though he hadn’t spoken. “Then it has to be durable for the kids. I can’t have them shuffling about in a suit that is too scratchy or too heavy.”

Georgie and Sammy exchanged a look before trying to escape.

“Don’t even think about.” Ella said to them without even looking at them.

They looked at their dad and saw him smile.

“You heard her.” he said.

Ella pushed the buggy forward to the next rack of suits and picked a jacket off the rack looking at it. She held it up letting some of the more natural light from outside the shop fall on the cloth before shaking her head and putting it back.

She strode over to the far wall and picked up another jacket before looking over at her organiser and then back at the suit.

“Roman.” She called.

He looked at the kids before walking over to her.

“This one?” he asked her.

She nodded.

“I think so. Feel the material.” She instructed.

He reached out and stroked the jacket.

“Nice.” He commented despite himself.

He took a step forward and looked through the rack until he found his size and tried it on.

“What do you think?” Ella asked him..

He gave a nod before looking at the boys.

“I think we’ll try these on.” He said.

Ella grinned and picked up the organiser and wheeled the buggy over to the girls.

“Mama.” Lily called out.

“What my pretty girl?” Ella leaned forward and looked at her.

“Dress?” she asked smiling.

“Yes sweetie dress.” Ella murmured.

“Mummy.” Sophie called out. “Do we get to look at our dresses?”

She smiled at her daughter and nodded.

“I was thinking I would have all my bridesmaids come over next week and try on the dresses together.” Ella told her.

“That will be so cool.” Sophie said excitedly.

Ella grinned and moved to sit on one of the benches leaning into the buggy to check on William. He was dozing and ignoring what was going on around him. She stroked his cheek softly before doing the same with Lily.

“Mama.” Lily said again holding her arms up.

“Sorry sweet girl you need to stay in there a bit longer.” She told her and saw Lily immediately pout.

“El.” Roman murmured coming over to her.

She looked at him and smiled.

“I like it.” she said standing and stroking down the material of the jacket on him.

He smiled.

“I knew you would. Georgie has had to go up a size in the trousers.”

Ella nodded.

“His school ones need replacing too.” She said. “Takes after his dad, he’s going to be tall.”

Roman looked at her before leaning over and kissing her.

“I think we will go with these.” He said.

She nodded.

“Ok lets get them sorted and go pay for them. “ She told him.

“About that. I have seen the price.” He muttered.

Ella looked at him and nodded.

“I’ve got it covered.” She said.

He raised his eyebrow and looked at her before heading back to the changing room.

Ella walked over to the tills and spoke to the woman there before four heavy dress bags were brought out and laid on the top. She spoke softly explaining about the order for the waistcoats to match the dresses and received a nod in response.

“Certainly.” She was told. “Just let us have a list of the sizes and we will get them ordered.”

Ella smiled, turning as Roman moved to stand next to her at the desk. He placed the suits on the top and put his arm around her.

“I’ll bag these up for you.” The shop assistant said moving out the back with the suits.

“We’ll talk in a bit over a drink.” Ella murmured to him as she pulled out her card to pay for them.

Roman chuckled.

“So me and the boys will take these back to the car and join you in the café.”

Ella nodded.

“That would be good. The one on the ground floor. I’ll take the babies and the girls.”

He smiled again and eased back to speak to Sammy and Georgie as he waited for Ella. He saw her turn to him and nod before stepping forward and collecting the bags, giving the lightest one to Sammy and another to Georgie. He took the rest himself giving Ella a look when he felt the weight of them.

She smiled sweetly in response and kissed his cheek before moving to the girls and collecting the buggy. She steered them out of the shop and to the bank of elevators at the end of the shopping centre taking them down to the ground floor.

“Mummy we didn’t see the dresses.” Sophie moaned.

“You’ll see them later.” She promised her. “Now do you think you can watch the babies for me while I go over to that shop?”

Sophie grinned at her.

“Really?” she asked.

Ella nodded.

“I shouldn’t be longer than 5 minutes. I’m going to take you into the Café and get you seated at a table. Now no speaking to strangers.”

Sophie nodded and looked at Meggy.

Ella smiled and kissed her daughter leading them all to the Café. The place was half empty and she moved to a table in the window so that the girls would be able to see her settling them down. She collected a highchair for Lily lifting her out of the pushchair and putting her in it.

“Order drinks and a snack.” She instructed to them handing Sophie some money from her purse.

She moved over to the door and across to the jewellers walking inside.

“Mrs Harris.” The manager greeted her as she walked in.

“Hello, do you have my order?”

He nodded and moved to the back room before coming out with the jewellery boxes. He opened them up and showed her contents before placing them into a shopping bag and taking her card to pay for them. He ran up the amount and collected the receipt handing it to her before passing over the bag. She smiled at him and moved rapidly outside and back to the café.

“Hey you, abandoning our kids already.” Roman said when he saw her.

“Yeah but I felt guilty so I came back.” Ella told him leaning over and kissing him before sitting down next to him.

“I ordered drinks for us,” Sophie said. “I thought you and Daddy would want a coffee and I got a milkshake for Sammy and a coke for Georgie.”

“Well done Sophie.” Ella told her smiling proudly at her daughter. “What about food? Anybody want anything?”

Roman picked up the menu and looked at it before handing it over to her.

“Toffee Cheesecake.” Ella murmured quickly.

Roman laughed before leaning over and kissing her.

“We need to talk catering.” He said after a moment.

Ella nodded.

“And budgets.” He added.

“Venue.” Ella told him.

“So pretty much everything.” Roman said with a sigh.

“We can go through a list tonight. But getting the suits and dresses sorted out is a start. You need to select ties and stuff.”

“And stuff?” Roman questioned giving her a look that was so like Sammy’s when she tried to get him into a new school uniform that she nearly burst out laughing.

“Handkerchiefs for the pocket, belts, shoes, socks.” Ella listed.

Georgie giggled.

“New socks?” he asked.

Ella nodded.

Roman groaned.

“What did I get myself into?” he asked.

“Too late to back out now.” Ella said leaning into the arm he had around her.

He kissed her again before picking up his cup and taking a drink of his coffee.

“Anyway back to food. What does everyone want?” he said and chuckled as they managed to select different things off the menu. He moved over to the counter and gave the order before walking back and sitting back with Ella.

“So what is the plan after this?” He asked her.

“I don’t know. Been pretty boring for everyone so far. What about hitting that toy shop and doing a little spoiling?” she asked him.

“Really.” Sammy asked excitedly. “Can we get a new game for the ….”

Ella shushed him.

“It is Lily’s birthday soon so we need to think about presents for her.”

“Hey no fair it’s our birthdays first.” Sophie pointed out.

Roman grinned.

“We might already have your presents.” He began. “Or maybe we aren’t going to buy you anything this year.”

Georgie laughed at the look on Sophie’s face.

“Actually, we’ve been thinking,” Ella said to them. “Sophie you got your horse.”

Sophie nodded.

“Does that mean I’m not getting anything because I know you spent a lot of money already.” She told them.

“Not that. It’s because we bought your horse that we are going to spend a bit more on Georgie this year.”

Sophie grinned at her brother.

“That’s fair.” She told him.

Georgie gave her a look.

“I’m ok with whatever you get me. It doesn’t have to be special. I know the wedding is costing a lot.” He said quickly.

“We’ve got some special kids.” Roman said quietly.

Ella grinned.

“Not bad for spoilt brats.” She murmured in response just as the food arrived.

Sorry... Work has been a nighmare this week.... hopefully back to normal updating next week..... :(

Chapter 34

“Are you tired?” Ella said moving over to Roman and sitting next to him on the blanket. They were once more in the park running around with the kids. She looked up at the sky seeing the shining sun and the clear blue with just a hint of clouds. She felt a sudden shiver go over her and reached for the water bottle taking a drink.

Roman nodded looking around the park.

“Seriously?” she asked quietly.

Roman gave her a grin.

“Think I’m coming down with another cold.” He said to her.

“Want to go back?” she asked.

Roman looked at her and then over at the kids.

“Want me to get lynched?” he replied. ”I’ll sit here with the babies for a bit.”

Ella nodded and moved over to kiss him.

“Are you going to get checked out when we get home?” she asked him and saw him grin at her.

“Are you?” he murmured his gaze drawn to her flat stomach.

Ella giggled and leaned forward to kiss him.

“You really want a baby don’t you?” she asked softly.

He nodded.

“I don’t know why I just think it would be wonderful to have another baby. Maybe its because I missed out with Lily and William. Maybe it’s because I’m scared that you’ll leave me without something to tie you to me.”

“Roman.” Ella gasped his name.

“I know its not logical.” He stated leaning over and kissing her. “I want you to have your life back and then I want another baby.” He shrugged frowning at her as he spoke. “But anyway there you have it.”

Ella looked over at him before moving until she was kneeling close to him.

“Ok.” she said quietly. “If I’m pregnant great, if not we aren’t trying. And I’m really not going to leave you.”

He nodded and felt her soft lips press against his. He dragged her close to him wrapping his arms around her grinning as she over balanced and fell on top of him.

“Throwing yourself at me?” he asked with a chuckle.

Ella smiled and eased up.

“What do you want to do tonight?” she asked him.

“I want to have a wonderful romantic dinner with my wife.” He stated. “But we somehow managed to bring our kids with us so I’m thinking we should cook dinner and watch a movie and you should fall asleep on the sofa in my arms.”

Ella smiled and reached out to stroke his hair back from his face. She frowned, easing back and looking at him.

“What?” he asked.

“You have a temperature.” She told him.

“Told you I’m coming down with a cold.” He murmured kissing her softly. “We better go round up the kids.”

She gave him a look before slowly nodding.

“I’m cooking. You are going to relax.” She instructed him.

Roman laughed as he stood up and held out his hand to her.

“Hear that Lily, your Mummy is cooking dinner tonight.” Roman told his daughter.

Lily looked up from the toys she and William were playing with and smiled.

“Pizza?” she asked sweetly.

Ella gave Roman a look watching as he held up his hands.

“Not me.” He denied.

“So who taught her to say that?” she asked and then spun around. “Megan Hope Harris.” She called out.

“Yes Mummy.” Meggy asked running over to them.

“Lily has learnt a new word.” Ella murmured calmly her hands on her hips she turned and looked at her daughter.

“She has? Cool.” Meggy grinned and looked over at Lily.

“”Lily Mummy is cooking dinner tonight.” Ella said to her baby girl.

“Pizza.” Lily gurgled and clapped her hands.

“Oh that is so cool.” Meggy laughed and crouched down low hugging her sister.

“One down.” Roman said.

Ella glared at him before looking over at the others.

“Samuel Rapheal Harris.” Ella called out and saw Sammy turn and glare at her. She could tell it was a glare even from this distance. He ran carefully over to her.

“Never use my name Mummy.” He muttered his hands on his hips in a mirror of hers.

“Lily has learnt a new word and I’m wondering who taught her it.” Ella said slowly.

“That is no reason to invoke the full name call.” Sammy muttered.

Meggy glanced at him and grinned.

“Lily Mummy is cooking dinner tonight.” Ella said to her baby girl.

Lily looked over at Meggy before looking up.

“Pizza.” She grinned.

Sammy giggled.

“Oh so you think that is funny Samuel Rapheal….”

“Mother.” Sammy gasped looking around to make sure his mother hadn’t been overheard.

“Do not use my name.”

“Kiddo your Dad chose your name.” Ella leaned down and spoke to him. “Not me. Blame him.”

“Great so Georgie and William get normal names and I get saddled with that one.” Sammy grumbled.

“Not true Sammy, William’s middle name is Roman that’s not a normal name.” Ella said and watched as Roman did a doubletake and looked at her.

“Sammy say goodbye to your mother I think I’m about to kill her.” Roman growled out.

Ella issued a squeak sound before she sprinted away from Roman as he moved towards her. He growled some more before he broke out into a run and began to chase her. She heard Sammy and Meggy’s laughter as they watched him chase her.

“Elizabeth Louise Laura Addison Harris.” Roman called out.

She looked over her shoulder at her name being called and laughed some more.

“Can’t keep up Roman Harris.” She murmured.

“I can keep up with you anytime any place Ella Harris.” He called out closing the gap between them. He watched as she turned running back towards the children and smiled despite himself. He could have caught her then but he let her run on knowing that she wanted to be back with the kids. He smiled some more thinking how brave she had been to run around the park letting the children have so much freedom with her lingering hang ups from Sammy’s kidnap as a baby. Widening his stance he shortened the distance between them before catching her finally, his hands going around her waist as he lifted her off her feet. He lowered her a second later turning her in his arms before leaning forward and kissing her.

“Love you.” He whispered.

Ella wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him.

“Love you.” She said back her eyes shinning with happiness.

He lowered his head resting it on her shoulder wondering how he’d ever managed without her.

Chapter 35

Brett rolled over and looked at the ceiling. He wondered why Mike had painted his ceiling blue with fluffy clouds on before he realised he was outside. He staggered up and looked around seeing that he had slept on a sun lounger near the pool.

“Morning.” Mike murmured from an adjacent lounger.

“What the hell did we drink last night?” Brett asked, running his tongue around his mouth feeling like his teeth had become furry overnight.

“I’m not entirely sure.” Mike confessed and groped for his phone in his pocket. He took it out and looked at the display. “Oh sorry. Afternoon.” He corrected his earlier greeting.

Brett chuckled and looked which way was quicker to get to some caffeine. He took a hesitant couple of steps feeling his legs shake and gave Mike a glare.

“I’m never drinking with you again.” Brett told him.

“me or him.” a third voice asked.

“Who the hell are you?” Brett asked looking over onto the grass and seeing a third person shakily standing up.

“I’m Jacob I’m dating Gabby.” He said slowly. “And Mike please don’t hit me again.”

Mike stood up and stretched carefully before looking at the third man.

“Sorry.” He said again. “It’s just I remember you say something about Georgie being a brat and he’s my brother and everything.”

“I said that he stood up for your sister who was a brat.” Jacob said slowly. “And what the hell was that red stuff?”

“Campari.” Danni explained coming out with cups of coffee.

She handed them round smiling at the men moved to sit in the shade away from the overbright sun.

“You called my sister a brat.” Mike said slowly looking at Jacob.

“Meggy is.” Gabby ground out from somewhere near the rosebushes across the garden. “Now shut the heck up I’m trying to sleep.”

“Exactly.” Jacob said softly. “But I have to say I’ve never known kids to stand up for each other the way your brothers and sisters do.”

“That is down to Mum.” Mike said at the same time Brett murmured. “That’s down to Ella.”

Gabby sighed and eased up into a sitting position. She smoothed down the dress she was wearing and eased up to a standing position slowly feeling the world still spinning. Walking slowly over to the table she sank down onto a chair and reached for Jacob’s coffee drinking it down in one.

“I wanted to hate her.” Jacob said slowly. “All my life all I heard about was this woman who stole my dad away from me.”

Mike gave him a look of disgust.

“And what about your dad? I suppose he did nothing?”

“How about you let him speak this time?” Gabby muttered to her brother. “I hated you at first for being the child she kept in my place.”

Mike shook his head.

“All my life I’ve known about you. The child she lost and I was the brat she was saddled with in place. And you know what.” Mike stopped when Danni put her hand on his shoulder and sat down next to him.

“Let Jacob talk then you two.” Danni said softly.

Brett grinned.

“It’s nice to know that some things are screwed up in the perfect family. We all hate Ella you know. She’s so nice and fun and she always knows what is best, but not like in a bad way. She knows what is bugging my sister when none of us can figure out what her problem is.”

Danni gave Brett a look.

“Amy-Belle?” she asked a question with just the other girls’ name.

“Back to Jacob.” Brett deflected.

“Well when the school board posted me here I was overstrict on Meggy not because I knew she was Ella’s but because she reminded me of her.”

“She’s is a miniature Ella.” Mike pointed out. “Only with Roman’s eyes.”

Jacob nodded.

“I didn’t even connect her with Gabby and yet now I know I can’t stop noticing the resemblance.” Jacob said slowly. “Makes me think about how our children will look.” He said and then stood up abruptly.

Mike chuckled.

“I think you’ve just been proposed to.” He said to Gabby who seemed to be in shock.

She put her hand to her throat and slowly stood looking at Jacob.

“Do you know what you just said?” she asked him.

He looked around the others and then back at her.

“I know.” He said softly nodding. “Seems so simple.” He added. “I looked across the diner and saw you and I thought my god that woman is beautiful.”

Gabby gulped taking a hesitant step towards him.

“And I wanted to get to know you.” Jacob continued. “Then when I started dating you I realised that I needed to take care of you and make you happy.”

Gabby began to cry before being swept inot his arms.

“I love you Gabriel.” He told her. “I’m never going to let anyone hurt you again.”

Mike grinned over at Danni before kissing her.

“Fancy a double wedding?” he asked her.

Danni shook her head.

“Let Gabby have her day. Mum will go up the wall though.”

Mike nodded and noticed that Gabby and Jacob were oblivious to the conversation. They murmured before turning and Gabby leading the other man away.

“Back to you.” Mike said after a minute.

Brett shook his head.

“Don’t you think you’ve hit enough people recently?” he asked. “I wonder if in years to come Gabby will forgive you for punching her husband.”

“That?” Mike said. “That was just a love tap.” He said with a shrug. “Back to you hating my mother.”

Brett grinned and drained the last cold dregs from his cup.

“We can’t help it.” he began. “She’s wonderful and as much as we love Mum we can’t help the comparison between our own mother and Ella. You got to go to boarding school and be cool and have so much stuff. Then came the twins and we thought that you’d be jealous and stuff but no you were a wonderful brother. It was like watching a miniature Granddad the way you watched over the babies. Even when the others came along.”

Mike grinned at Roman being referred to as Granddad before sobering.

“You know that she has major doubts about being a good mum don’t you.” He said at last feeling Danni stiffen beside him. “It’s ok.” he said to her.

“I’ll get some more coffee.” She murmured feeling uncomfortable with the conversation. She stood up and collected the cups moving into the kitchen of the pool house.

“No I never knew that.” Brett said slowly.

Mike nodded.

“We sat down and talked about boarding school before I went there. Making lists of what I would get out of it and what were downsides. Then finding one close to the studio that had an education programme that suited me. During this time she never let on that she hated her boarding school. She never told me until a few years ago that she cried herself to sleep for a month after I left because she felt like she failed with me as a stand in mother.” Mike said softly. “And I turned around and acted like a brat because I didn’t have a father. I thought if this Roman Harris was such a god then he could be my dad.”

Brett looked over at him about to speak until he saw Mike continue.

“She drove me here to see him not letting on that she loved him once upon a time. That seeing him was the last thing she wanted to do because it would hurt if she found him with someone and happy or even hurt if she found him single but they had nothing between them anymore." Mike continued.

Brett whistled slowly through his teeth.

“She is a brave woman.”

Mike grinned.

“And she loves us all.” He told the other man softly.

Brett chuckled.

“We love her too.” He said in response.

“But her own mother wasn’t so great so she thinks she’ll somehow screw us up.” Mike told the other man before standing and stripping off his top. He pulled out his phone and wallet from his pocket before turning and moving over to the edge of the pool.

“Mike.” Brett called.

“I know. “ Mike turned and looked at him grinning. “Sometimes when you think you see something you forget to look at the whole picture. Ella knows, she always knows.” He added the last with a look at Danni walking back out to them.

“I hope I’ve never hurt…” Brett began.

Mike shook his head.

“Of course you haven’t and anyway even if you did Ella would forgive you.”

Danni smiled grimly looking at Mike.

“I was jealous.” She said slowly. “I watched the lot of you for a month before I ever thought about doing my scam.”

Mike chuckled before moving away from the pool and sitting back at the table.

“She was pregnant and had all of you. And I thought of the baby she gave up for adoption and never even seemed to miss. So when things got really desperate after another few months I headed back and convinced your granddad that I was Gabby.”

Mike smiled at her and picked up the cup of coffee taking a long drink.

“So we’re all guilty.” Brett said.

“And feeling it.” Danni added. “I guess we need to do something for her.”

Mike shook his head.

“She’s fine guys. She’ll just feel all embarrassed.” Mike grinned at them. “Now then. I’m heading for a swim and then I’m going to get rid of this hangover.”

“Thank god you admitted you had a hangover I thought I was going to have to hate you too.” Brett said leaning back in the chair and drinking more coffee.

Mike laughed.

“You had me confused with Roman. The man is like a machine. I can’t wait until his bucks night I’m going to get him so drunk he’ll have a hangover for a month.” Mike promised.

Brett chuckled.

Chapter 36

“Come in Mr Harris.” The portly man called.

Roman looked up from his seat in the waiting room and moved inside the office. He took in the pale grey walls, the maroon couch the two chairs the other side of the desk standing on the deep grey carpet that covered the floor.

“Take a seat.” He was instructed.

Roman gave a small nod and eased into one of the seats.

“We have your preliminary test results back.” He heard the words but felt that they came from a long way away and forced his attention back to the man in front of him.

“Yes Dr Jarvis?” he asked naming the specialist.

“Nothing is actually indicative at this point so we’d like to run further tests and send you for a Cat Scan.”

Roman looked at the other man.

“So you think it is more than a chest infection?” he asked the words bursting out of him.

“The symptoms you describe coughing, shortness of breath, pain when you breath, tiredness and the weight loss.” Dr Jarvis paused and looked at him. “It could be something more than a chest infection but we need to rule out a number of factors.”

Roman nodded and felt the steely-eyed gaze of the other man on him.

“But than you know all this Roman that’s why you made this appointment.” The doctor murmured with a gesture to the office that was part of the private medical health group.

Roman gave him a small brief smile.

“I’m getting married in fifteen weeks. I don’t want to walk down that aisle knowing that I’m ill.” He confessed.

“Surely if you planning to make that kind of commitment then…” the doctor began speaking, stopping when he saw the other man’s expression.

“Can we do the CT scan here? Now?” Roman asked.

Dr Jarvis looked at hi computer screen pressing a number of keys before he nodded.

“We can fit you in this afternoon.” He confirmed. “Three pm.”

Roman glanced at his watch before nodding.

“I’ll come back at 3.” He murmured easing up out of the chair and moving to the door. He stepped out of it and walked back the way he came out of the outer doors and on to the street. He looked up at the sky before moving over to his car and climbing behind the wheel. He felt his phone vibrating then and pulled it out of his pocket looking at the caller display before he answered.

“Hey.” He said slowly.

“Hey yourself, I don’t mean to sound like a nagging wife but where are you?” Ella asked through the phone. He tried to tell himself that she didn’t know he was worried about anything that she didn’t suspect anything was going on but this was Ella he was talking about.

“I’m out.” he told her inadequately.

“Ok.” she murmured and he heard Lily in the background ordering Millie to give William back his toy. He grinned at that and then remembered that Ella was on the line.

“I’ll be back later.” He told her.

“So not telling me where you are then?” Ella said quietly. “I thought we didn’t do secrets.”

“And I thought you didn’t do nagging.” He retorted before he could stop himself, he heard the dialling tone in his ear and knew that she’d hung up on him. He clicked redial and the call went straight to voicemail. He waited a heartbeat before hanging up before the message played out and typed up a text message sending that instead.

Taking his keys out of his pocket he put them in the ignition and started the engine reversing neatly out of the parking bay outside the private clinic. He drove to the nearest shopping mall and parked up before climbing out and wondering aimlessly around the stores. Killing time.

“What was that about?” Gabby asked walking through to the study where Ella was sitting at her desk, the laptop open in front of her.

“I have no idea but your father is being secretive which is never really a good thing.” Ella grinned at her daughter. “Is it? Being secretive that is?” she asked.

Gabby frowned and looked at the floor.

“So what do you know?” she asked her mother finally, her gaze still downwards.

“You and Jacob are dating. It’s serious. And you think I won’t approve.”

“But you won’t.” Gabby cried out.

“Please sit down and talk to me Gabby. So far you have heard nothing I’ve said about him.” Ella muttered rubbing the spot between her eyes as another tension headache threatened.

“All I’ve heard is that you don’t trust him.” she blurted.

Ella shook her head.

“No, I’ve said I don’t trust his father’s motives for being in the Bay.” Ella denied taking a deep breath. She eased back in her chair and sucked in another breath a curious smile on her face.

“So you don’t think that Chris could be here because he wants to spend time with his son?” Gabby said bitterly.

Ella winced at the ease in which Gabby used the other man’s name indicating that she had spent more time with him than she let on.

“Right how do you want this conversation to go? Should I ignore that I have doubts about Chris and because of that I have concerns that you are dating his son or should I just give you and ultimatum you’ll ignore and use against me to fuel whatever anger issues you have.” Ella said quietly. “I’m sorry that I let you be adopted Gabby, I didn’t choose Mike over you. And as for who you see I don’t care as long as you don’t get hurt.”

Gabby looked at her before she felt wet tears on her face.

“Have I been doing that?” she asked.

“Punishing me because you were adopted out?” Ella framed the words that Gabby was unable too. She nodded. “You do it every time that Mike is home. Started off with little things and has built up. Now that you are seeing Jacob the fights we are having are taping into your other feelings.”

Gabby sniffed and wiped at the silver tears on her cheeks with shaking fingers.

“I’;m…” she began to apologise stopping when she saw Ella hold up her hand.

“Don’t apologise Gabby those feelings are natural. You went though a horrendous childhood made to feel and act ill for most of it. Mike had a normal childhood with me so it’s natural that there is some resentment there. We have to work on our mother daughter relationship. You didn’t think it was going to be easy did you?”

Gabby nodded.

“I did actually, the way we were I thought everything was ok between us.” Gabby cried out.

“It is ok Gabby.” Ella told her. “I’m not upset that you feel this way sometimes I just want you to know that I’m still your mother and I will always love you no matter what.”

She stood up and moved over to the other end of the room opening a cupboard and pulling out a small red jewellery chest. She took it over to where Gabby was sitting and opened it up taking out a yellowing envelope. She paused sucking in another deep breath before she opened it and took out the scan and the scrap of ribbon that was wrapped next to it. She traced the satin of the ribbon in her fingers seeing the printed yellow ducks on it. She handed the scan to Gabby.

“Mum?” Gabby asked uncertainly.

“That is you.” Ella told her in a gentle voice. “I did five pregnancy tests because I was scared when the first one was positive and then hopeful when the results of the second one were also positive. Then I couldn’t believe it so I did the other three until I managed to stop myself. I had the scan done when I went to the doctor to check if it were safe to fly.”

Ella paused looking at her daughter before she continued.

“I flew out to see Roman and he was in a bad way. The Mark stuff had just happened and I couldn’t see him. I started bleeding and they did a test and told me I had lost the baby. So I flew home and you know the rest.”

Gabby looked down at the scan and then back at her mother.

“And my name?” she asked slowly.

“I don’t know. I remember flashes, nothing concrete. Seeing you being taken away and screaming for you. I think I called you my angel.” Ella said honestly the words ripping a hole in her soul.

Gabby shook beside her before reaching out for the ribbon that Ella was tangling around her fingers. She held her hands between hers feeling how Ella was shaking.

“Mum, if that hadn’t happened I mean if you had found out you were still pregnant would you have gone to Roman, I mean Dad?”

“Yes.” Ella said her voice a whisper. “and no.”

Gabby looked at her and gave her a grin.

“Well I get that from you too.” She murmured.

Ella gave a small laugh.

“Your dad was so hurt Gabby and I was 19. I had Mike and I had lost Jenny and my Mother. My dad and I weren’t talking. I couldn’t have looked after you and Mike and be a wife to him. It just wouldn’t have lasted.” Ella wiped at her own tears then before looking at Gabby. “Not because I didn’t love you or him but because I couldn’t have dealt with him being in the army and so far away when I had two babies.” She took a breath. “And he was hurting. I couldn’t have helped him. Sorry that’s all jumbled.” She added.

“It’s ok I understand what you are saying.” Gabby murmured. “It’s been quite a day.” She commented looking back at the scan. “I can’t believe you still had this after all this time.”

“It was the only thing I had of you.” Ella said softly.

She reached up and stroked Gabby’s hair back from her face looking at her daughter.

“My baby girl.” She said quietly.

Gabby sighed.

“Mum I’m in love with Jacob and he loves me.”

“Then you have to follow your heart.” Ella told her. “Please be careful.”

Gabby nodded and reached over to kiss her mums cheek.

“Thank you.” She said softly. “For sharing this with me when I know we’ve been in a bad place for the past few months and for your blessing.”

Ella nodded.

“There is something you should know.” Gabby told her after a moment.

Ella looked up and wiped at her eyes.

“Yes.” She asked cautiously.

“That ribbon.” Gabby began her voice faltering.

“This?” Ella asked holding up the ribbon. “I bought this at a craft stall just after I found out about you.”

Gabby nodded.

“I had a teddy bear with that ribbon tied around the neck. From the time I was little. It was called Angel.”

Ella gasped and looked at her.

“Really?” she murmured.

Gabby nodded once more.

“This was hand painted.” Ella said slowly. “There wasn’t anything like it on the market.”

Gabby looked at her and sighed.

“Then how?” she asked.

Ella shook her head.

“I guess we’ll never know.” She said slowly.

“Are you ok?” Gabby asked looking at the expression on her face.

“I’m fine.” Ella said easing up from the sofa and moving away.

“Mum?” Gabby asked again, watching her.

Ella nodded again and looked at her. She sucked in another of those deep breaths that seemed to be calming her churning stomach and groaned, as it didn’t work.

“S’cuse me.” She gasped out racing out of the room and up the stairs. She slammed into the bathroom and bent low over the toilet her stomach emptying. Heaves ran through her and she placed a hand on her flat belly grinning. Falling back on her heels she rested her back against the cool tiles of the wall behind her as the toilet flushed noisily in front of her.

“Mum drink this.” Gabby said walking into the bathroom.

Ella opened her eyes and looked at her daughter seeing her smiling down at her. She accepted the glass of water and took some cautious sips.

“I thought William was going to be your last.” She said with a grin.

“Me too.” Ella muttered. “Blame your dad for this one.”

Gabby smiled and reached out to help her up.

“Thank you.” Ella said softly.

“So …” Gabby murmured. “all his idea was it?”

Ella blushed at the knowing look that Gabby gave her and smiled.

“Maybe.” She said quietly.

The moved out of the bathroom and down the stairs.

Roman looked at his watch and stowed the shopping bags in the back of the car before setting off back to the clinic. He’d picked up uniform trousers for Georgie focusing on something instead of appointment that he had for the scan. Then something for Ella because he’d been short with her the past few days thinking about today. Thinking? He corrected himself. Worrying more like.

He sighed and reached to put on some music while he negotiated the traffic. He listened with half an ear and mentally listed the bits he’d just bought. The trousers for Georgie, then optimistically things for the wedding and finally the present that he had bought for Ella. He sighed thinking about going home knowing he was ill. Going and lying next to Ella knowing that there was a disease inside him and that he was hiding it from her. He pulled into a parking bay not far from where he had parked earlier and turned off the music looking sightlessly out of the windscreen.

Clicking open his phone he saw that he had a message and he frowned wondering how lost in thought he had been not to notice the vibration of the phone in his pocket. He opened the message and read the text from Ella asking him to bring some shopping home with him. He closed the phone without reading the full message. He missed the list of things she wanted bringing home that included Milk, ice cream and a pregnancy test kit not realising in the action of closing the phone he’d deleted the message. He squared his shoulders and moved into the clinic.

Chapter 37

“I don’t like him.” Meggy hissed at Sophie.

“I know but he’s Gabby’s boyfriend.” She explained back.

Meggy shook her head looking over at the table where their mum was putting out plates and glasses.

“I can hear you Megan Hope Harris. I just want you to remember your manners please.” Ella called out softly.

Meggy stood and walked over to her mother.

“Why do we have to have him over for dinner?” she asked again.

“Because if Gabby were dating anyone else we would invite them.” Ella told her daughter gently. She knelt down and put her arm around her daughter’s waist pressing a kiss to her cheek. “Maybe one day I’ll have to be nice to your boyfriend.”

Meggy giggled.

“I’m not having a boyfriend Mummy, all you do is kiss a lot.” She told her.

“But kissing is nice.” Ella said with a laugh. “Daddy and I kiss.”

“Yeah but you are married and do that to make babies.” Meggy said in response.

Ella giggled and kissed her daughter.

“Meggy I love you.” She murmured hugging her close.

Meggy laughed before putting her arms around her and hugging her back.

“Love you too Mummy.” She said quickly.

“Hey I think they are here.” Sophie said looking out of the window and on to the drive as a car pulled up.

“Thanks Sophie.” Ella murmured. “Can you go call the boys down please.”

“I’ll do that.” Roman said coming out of the kitchen.

Ella smiled at him and watched as he walked over to the intercom in the hallway. She eased up slowly feeling a little dizzy and grinned to herself.

“Mummy.” Sophie said walking over to her.

“Yeah?” Ella asked dragging her attention back to the room.

“Do you need any help?” Sophie asked her looking at the table.

“Thank you Sophie. Do you think you and Meggy could put out knives and forks for me?” Ella asked including Meggy.

Sophie nodded and moved into the kitchen collecting the cutlery and bringing it over to the long table.

“The boys are coming.” Roman told her when she stepped into the hallway.

Ella nodded and moved over to him feeling his resistance to her company she bit back a sigh and smiled at him instead.

“I hope you’ll be on your best behaviour.” She cautioned.

“Oh me?” Roman gave her a grin. “Of course.”

She smiled and wondered not for the first time what was going on between them that even this banter seemed forced.

Roman looked over at her thinking how beautiful she was and how he was keeping something from her and felt himself close off inside again. He reached out cautiously and took hold of her hand.

“Are you ever going to talk to me Roman Harris?” Ella snapped quietly with a frantic glance at the children.

“I don’t know what you mean.” He prevaricated.

She gave him a searching look before letting go of his hand and moving to open the door.

“El.” He said softly.

“No Roman.” She murmured glancing over at the children before pulling the door open.

“Hello.” Gabby called stepping on to the veranda.

She cast a frantic glance behind her as Jacob moved to stand next to her. Chris, moving to stand a little way off the couple joined them.

“Hope you don’t mind Lizzie I invited myself.” He stated.

She felt Roman move to stand behind her and forced herself not to react either to his presence or Chris’ arrival.

“Not at all. We always managed to have extra for uninvited guests.” She found herself saying after a minute.

Chris gave her a look before holding up a bottle of wine.

“At least I’m not empty handed.” He proclaimed.

Roman moved to take the bottle off him glancing at the label.

“Thank you.” He said to Chris politely.

“Well come on in then.” Ella said after a pause moving to stand to one side to allow them to walk through the door. She smiled at Jacob before giving Gabby a kiss on her cheek and ushering them through to the lounge.

“Can I get anyone a drink?” Roman asked smoothly.

“Just a soda or something for me I’m driving.” Jacob told Roman biting his lip not the call the other man sir.

“Perhaps you could open the bottle.” Chris suggested.

Roman gave the man a smile before looking at Gabby.

“Maybe some of Chris’ wine.” She told him.

Ella grinned and moved through to the kitchen watching as the girls were standing there watching.

“I think Gabby could use some support.” She whispered to Meggy and saw her daughter nod before going over to the group with a plate of snacks.

“Can I offer you some things?” she asked politely holding out the plate to Gabby first.

Roman watched the by-play and smiled before walking through to the kitchen.

“Sophie can you set another place at the table for us please?” he asked his other daughter. She nodded and jumped up collecting items before heading to the table.

“Do we need to do anything?” Ella asked him softly.

Roman smiled at her as he walked over to where she was standing. He stroked her hair back from her face and lowered his lips to hers to press a gentle kiss on them.

“We’re fine.” He told her and knew he wasn’t just talking about the food. Easing away he gave her another smile before reaching in the drawer for the corkscrew.

“I’ll go make nice then.” She told him.

“What can I get you to drink?” he asked as she turned away.

“Something soft and cold. I think I need to keep my wits about me tonight.” She said and bit her lip thinking about the discussion they hadn’t yet had about her condition. She’d done a pregnancy test the day before and it had been positive.

“Ok.” he said half turned away from her. He didn’t see the expression on her face otherwise he would have asked her a different question than if she wanted a drink.

Ella moved through to the other room and checked that Sophie had set the extra place smiling at her daughter before heading to the sofa. She saw Georgie and Sammy standing in the doorway and grinned at them dressed smartly in shirt and trousers.

“Come in boys.” Ella called softly. “You know Jacob and this is his father Chris.” She introduced them.

“More than that Lizzie.” Chris denied. “Your mother and I used to be old friends.” He added ignoring the look she cast in his direction.

“Not very good friends if you call her Lizzie.” Georgie said tilting his head to one side as he thought about it.

Ella gave a small laugh at the expression on Chris’ face when he was presented with her son’s logic just as Roman brought through the drinks. He handed Chris his wine first before placing a glass of chilled white in front of Gabby.

“We got this in for you.” He said when she gave him a look. He smiled smoothly at Ella before passing round the soft drinks including those for the children and finally sat next to Ella. He automatically took hold of her hand keeping it in his warm firm grip.

“Well I knew your mother as Lizzie, the same way that your Dad knows her as Ella.” Chris explained to Georgie a hidden note in his voice caused Roman to give his wife a look before smiling smoothly.

“Not exactly, I christened her Ella while Lizzie is a well known abbreviation of Elizabeth.” He murmured. “And well she may have been called many things over the years she is still my Ella,” Roman added lifting her hand and placing a gentle kiss on it before looking back over at Chris and smiling at the other man.

“How long have you wanted to be a teacher sir?” Sammy asked Jacob quietly ignoring the tension that suddenly sprang up between his Dad and Chris.

“Since I was your age.” Jacob said.

He felt Gabby reach out and take hold of his hand and smiled at her, sipping nervously at his drink.

“That’s cool.” Sammy replied. “Georgie wants to be in the army but I don’t know what I want to do yet.”

“Like his father.” Chris pointed out.

Roman felt Ella automatically tense beside him and silently cursed the other man’s words.

“Maybe.” Ella said without looking at Roman.

“That it son, you want to be like Daddy?” Chris asked picking up on the tension.

“Did I miss anything?” Mike asked smoothly walking in through the door with a flushed Danni beside him.

He strode over to Ella’s side and leaned down to place a kiss to her cheek.

“Sorry I’m late.” He said to her meeting her gaze. “ But I was talking to Granddad. He’s coming home this weekend.”

“That will be good.” Roman told him. “Can I get you a drink?” he added standing up.

“Just a beer.” Mike told him before turning to Danni.

“A glass of whatever Gabby is drinking.” She said moving to sit with the other girl on the sofa.

“Want one of these?” Meggy asked picking up the plate of canapés and offering them to Mike.

“Thanks sis.” He said picking out one.

She beamed at him before placing the dish back on the table.

Ella stifled a chuckle when she saw that Meggy had put the dish down so that Chris couldn’t reach it and gave her daughter a look.

“Thank you Meggy.” She said slowly.

Meggy smiled.

“So what did I interrupt?” Mike said sitting on the arm of the sofa next to his mother.

“Chris was talking about me going into the army.” Georgie told him.

Mike nodded.

“Going to be like me aren’t you?” he said putting his hand on his mum’s shoulder.

“More like Granddad, at least he hasn’t been shot.” Georgie replied not picking up on the tension.

Ella burst out laughing and looked up to see Roman watching her carefully.

“How is dinner?” she asked him.

He gave her a slow smile.

“Dinner is ready.” He told her.

“Right then.” She said easing up. “We’ll serve up.” She moved over to his side.

“Want any help?” Sophie asked once more.

“No thanks babe.” Roman said easily using the endearment for his daughter. He and Ella walked into the kitchen and moved in synchronisation to serve up the food on the table. She carried through the just baked bread and real butter as Roman took through the salad.

“Sorry about the thing.” Mike said to Jacob watching as the other man smiled ruefully putting his hand up to his still bruised eye.

“Don’t worry about it, the kids at school paid me far more attention wondering if I did cage fights in my spare time.” Jacob said easily.

“I think what my fiancé is trying to say is that he is sorry for hitting you.” Danni murmured sipping at her drink. “But in his own over-protective way….”

“He hit him?” Meggy burst out interrupting them. “Cool.” She added then bit her lip worriedly looking over at her mother and saw that she had been overheard.

“Megan Hope Harris.” Ella called out softly.

She gave her mother a grin before turning to Jacob.

“Sorry.” She apologised and glanced over at Mike. “Was that because of me?” she asked him grinning.

“Unrepentant little madam.” Ella said moving over to put her hands on her daughter shoulders.

Meggy looked up at her mother and bit her lip again, her blue eyes huge in her face and her freckles standing out on the bridge of her nose.

“I bet it was Megs.” Sammy told her. “He’s the big brother he is supposed to look after us.” He added knowledgeably.

Mike laughed and looked over at Chris seeing how the other man was in this setting. He gave him a small grin and thought back to how Chris was with him back when he was a kid. He looked up to see his mother give him a smile.

“Dinner is served.” Roman called out.

“Great I’m starved.” Chris said standing up. He moved over to the table and stood there a moment watching as the others stood up too.

“Refill?” Roman asked smoothly, seeing the empty glass in Chris’ hand.

“Please.” Chris answered holding out the glass.

Roman took it from him and moved to the kitchen to top up the glass before taking it back to the other man.

“Thanks.” Chris said eventually. “Are you not drinking?” he asked Roman.

Roman looked up.

“Not at the moment.” He said and felt rather than saw Ella’s gaze on him.

“Come on kids take a seat.” She called.

Jacob and Gabby sat next to each other with Sophie sitting the other side of him smiling over at Meggy. Ella watched as Mike held out the chair for Danni to sit down before he sat next to her. She caught sight of Sammy and Georgie sitting down either side of Chris with Meggy sitting next to Sophie. It left the seat next to her and one on the side next to Sammy. She chuckled softly as she sat down when Roman sat next to her his hand touching her shoulder.

He picked up the bread and handed that to Meggy first.

“No need to stand on ceremony.” He stated carefully.

“Nice place you have here.” Chris commented taking a long drink of his wine.

Roman inclined his head slightly.

“Ella chose it.” he began.

“She always did have good taste.” Chris muttered interrupting.

“About some things anyway.” Ella said cutting into the conversation placing her hand on Roman’s knee under the table.

He gave her a smile before handing round the salad to Sammy grinning as his son took a big portion before passing the bowl to Chris.

Ella accepted the bread back taking a roll for herself and then placing one on Roman’s side plate before putting the basket on the table. She didn’t notice Chris giving her a look at the intimate gesture.

“So Jacob, tell me a bit about yourself?” Ella suggested. “What do you like to do other than teach my brats?”

He looked up slightly startled before giving her a grin.

“I like surfing although I’ve only just learnt to do it. Pretty nerdy as a kid so I wasn’t into sports so much.”

“His Mother had him read books all the time.” Chris interjected with a hint of bitterness in his voice.

“I like to read.” Georgie added impervious to the undercurrents in the conversation.

“Nothing wrong with that.” Mike said smoothly.

“Yeah but you read war stuff.” Meggy told Georgie. “I like reading poetry.”

Jacob looked up at her and gave her a small smile.

“What poetry do you like?” he asked.

“Wordsworth.” She said immediately “I heard a thousand blended notes while in a grove I sat reclined.” She recited.

“In that sweet mood when pleasant thoughts bring sad thoughts to the mind.” Roman completed earning a look of surprise from both Chris and Jacob.

“Thank you Meggy.” Ella told her daughter. “But Wordsworth is a little heavy for the dinner table.”

Meggy flushed and grinned.

“A poet could not sleep aright For his soul kept up too much light under his eyelids for the night.” She quoted with a grin.

“Enough.” Roman said. “Or we’ll have Mike quoting Shakespeare and your brothers trying to beat each other at Chess.”

“Elizabeth Barrett Browninmg.” Jacob said after a minute identifying the poet.

“That must be your influence Lizzie.” Chris piped up.

“No it’s Daddy who reads poetry to us.” Sammy said quickly.

“Got new appreciation for your pupil?” Gabby grinned as she teased Jacob.

“Certainly do.” He stated. “I’m so giving her more homework now.”

Meggy groaned.

“Thanks.” She muttered.

Sammy, Georgie and Sophie looked at each other and laughed.

“Wow Roman poetry.” Chris said. “I never knew…” he trailed off and took a sip of his wine.

“Yup, my husband is plenty smart.” Ella said diffusing the tension once more. She leaned over and kissed him.

“You’ll have me all blushing in a minute.” Roman told her smiling over at her. “Is everyone ready for main course?” he asked and saw a few nods. Standing he moved easily into the kitchen and brought out the pasta bake. He returned a moment later with a lasagne adding the serving spoons to the table. “Help yourself.” He told everyone before heading to the kitchen once more to fetch the bottles of wine to top up glasses.

Mike eased up and moved to the kitchen collecting a fresh beer and picking up the basket of garlic bread and carrying it through before sitting back down at the table.

“How did you get the job teaching at Summer Bay?” Mike asked Jacob.

“The education board sent me.” He stated simply.

Gabby grinned at him before turning and looking at the others round the table.

“Have you finished grilling him?” she asked.

Ella smiled.

“It’s either we ask him stuff or I’ll just get Jacko involved.”

Gabby burst out laughing before looking at Jacob’s puzzled expression.

“Jacko is a family friend and a part time detective.” She explained.

“Oh.” Jacob murmured.

His attention was focused on Gabby so he missed the look that his dad shot at Ella.

“Can I get you another drink?” Roman asked her as he moved to place the bottles back in the kitchen.

“Please.” Ella replied.

“Same again?” he murmured and saw her nod. He moved easily over to her side placing his hand in her back as he reached for her glass. He was back a moment later handing her the drink.

“Thank you.” She told him quietly.

He nodded acknowledgement and reached for the pasta bake taking a spoonful and putting it on her plate before putting lasagne on his. He caught Mike grinning at him from across the table and glared at the other man almost groaning as he saw the other man’s unrepentant smirk. Ok so he was a little protective of his wife he thought and suddenly tensed up glancing at her glass before looking at her. She caught his gaze and smiled.

“El?” he whispered and felt her hand reaching for his under the table and giving it a squeeze. He only just avoided grinning from ear to ear and announcing it to the table

“So does he get the seal of approval?” Gabby asked when dinner was over. It was just her and Ella standing in the kitchen clearing plates and stacking them in the dishwasher.

“Yes he does.” Ella told her.

“Still.” Gabby paused and checking she couldn’t be overheard. “Chris?” she asked.

Ella nodded.

“I have to say he was a bit familiar with you tonight.” She added grimacing.

“I noticed that too.” Roman said from the archway.

“Kids in bed?” Ella asked him ignoring the look he gave her.

He nodded.

“And Mike is showing Chris his gun collection.” He told her and caught Ella’s look. “Or the pool house.” He amended. “You should go sit with Jacob.” He ordered Gabby and saw the girl chuckle at him.

He moved over to Ella and took the plate from her hands putting his arms around her and lifting her against him.

“So this text I missed the other day, would it have anything to do with anything in particular?” he asked her holding her close against him.

“It might do.” She murmured.

“And would that be why you were so upset with me?” he said.

She gave him a look.

“I wasn’t the one who went quiet and stopped talking.” She muttered.

“This time.” he told her his tongue firmly in cheek.

She gave him a glare and wriggled trying to free herself.

“El are we…” he began.

She saw the expression on his face.

“Roman what is it?” she asked quickly.

“I’m ill.” He said before he could stop himself.

He lowered her to her feet.

“They think that it might be cancer.” He added. “And I’ve just gotten you pregnant.”

Ella moaned sickly her stomach churning.

“How could you keep that from me?” she asked pulling away from him. She moved quickly to the stairs and ran up them heading for the bathroom. He waited a heartbeat before grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge and following her.

“Here.” He said handing it over when she’d finished.

“We are so going to have a discussion Mister.” She warned him.

He nodded.

“I wasn’t going to tell you El, I didn’t want to put you through the worry until I knew something.” He admitted.

“So what made you tell me tonight.”

“I love you and I felt guilty that I was happy about the baby when I might…” he stopped and swallowed to clear the lump in his throat.

“Help me up.” She asked holding out her hands to him.

He nodded and pulled her to her feet groaning as she put her arms around him and held him tight.

“Love you too husband.” She said to him. “We’re having a baby.”

Chapter 38

Roman reached out and took hold of Ella’s hand unaware that he was squeezing it a little bit too tight.

“Hello there?” Dr Jarvis called walking into the office. He looked over at the extra person sitting next to his patient and raised an eyebrow before smiling slowly.

“This is my wife.” Roman said quickly.

“And who exactly are you marrying?” the doctor asked him as he moved around the other side of his desk and sat down.

“Oh that would be me too.” Ella said softly.

“er ok then.” Dr Jarvis replied sounding confused.

Ella smiled and turned to Roman.

“See it does need an explanation.” She told him.

He gave a small smile in return before focusing back on the doctor.

“Right then the results of your tests.” He began getting back to subject.

“Before you begin.” Roman said slowly.

He turned to Ella.

“You know I love you don’t you?” he said softly.

“I think this conversation can wait.” Ella murmured.

“No I should have said this last week. If this is bad news I can’t marry you. “ he said clearly.

Ella gave him a look. Just a look. But it seemed to tell him so much more than her words could and he bit back another timid smile. He felt her warm hand still within his own grip and smiled some more.

The doctor gave a small cough and Roman turned back to the other man.

“Yes?” he asked.

“The results of your test. As you know we did a biopsy on the mass. We are off the opinion that it is a cyst.”

Roman let out the breath he was unaware he was holding.

“A Cyst?” he questioned.

Dr Jarvis nodded.

“The best course of action is to bring you in for surgery. Remove the cyst. We can do it on an outpatient basis.”

“Dr?” Roman asked slowly.

“He means that you will come in for the operation and if everything goes ok he’ll let you come home afterwards. That right?” Ella checked with the doctor and saw him nod.

“When do we do it?” Roman asked and then smiled when he saw that he was still holding on to Ella’s hand.

“Next week.” Dr Jarvis said after a moment. He looked over at his computer and nodded to confirm.

Roman nodded.

“We’ll send out a letter to confirm.” He continued.

“Thank you doctor.” Ella told him with a smile.

She stood up grinning at Roman as he did the same and they moved out of the office together.

“El.” Roman whispered.

“Now then this shopping mall you went to?” she said in a soft voce.

He gave her another look and moved with her to the car noting that she got behind the wheel to drive. He found himself smiling at her as he handed over the keys.

“The Mall is along this road here.” He commented some time later.

She glanced at him and carried on driving.

“And now I’ve let you come to the doctor with me are you going to see Rachel?” he asked earning another look from him.

“I’m planning on seeing the doctor, yes.” She said with a smile.

“She operated on Sammy. You can’t still be fighting?” he muttered.

“Well that’s it exactly.” Ella said adopting a harsh tone of voice and casting a sly look at him. “That woman took a knife to our son and cut him open.”

Roman did a doubletake before seeing that she was joking.

“Ella Harris.” He muttered.

She grinned and placed her hand on his knee for a moment.

“Do you think I would have let anyone else operate on our lovely boy?” she murmured gently.

“You are seriously sneaky.” He murmured placing his hand on top of hers feeling the warmth of her touch.

“Of course and you love me for it.” she said smiling.

He chuckled.

“So when do you think you got pregnant?” he asked changing the subject.

“When or which time? I think it was the studio.” She grinned.

“Which time?” he asked followed by. “Oh.” And grinned. “That time?” he asked and he heard her give a small sensuous sounding laugh.

“Ella Harris.” He said after a moment feeling her hand caressing his thigh.

“Are you not turned on?” she asked huskily.

“Yeah but you are driving.” He said casting a nervous glance at the traffic.

“So you don’t remember that time you were driving and you made me give you a ….”

“Ella.” He interrupted.

“Answer the question!” she said with a laugh.

“Yes ok, I remember the time I asked you to do that and then explaining to Charlie why we ran off the road without mentioning what we were doing at the time.”

Ella giggled.

“Which would have been fine if you hadn’t had your trousers half undone at the time.”

He muttered something under his breath before catching sight of her, he saw her smile, her sparkling eyes, the colour of her parted lips, as he’d already kissed her lipgloss from her lips earlier.

“Ella.” He whispered.

She glanced in the rear-view mirror before signalling and changing lanes. Turning the wheel she pulled off the road and turned into a side road. He gave her a look before realising where they were headed after reading the signs at the side of the road. She pulled up outside the front of the hotel and eased into a parking spot.

“Well?” she asked.

He looked out the car.

“I don’t think they rent rooms by the hour.” He told her grinning.

“Hour? I’ve got Leona babysitting for the rest of the day.”

He laughed and climbed out of the car unconsciously smoothing down his trousers and shirt. Ella shot a quick glance at him before walking ahead of him into the hotel and over to the reception desk. He heard her speak softly to the desk clerk and register for a room. She gave him a look from under her lashes and moved over to the bank of elevators. He followed behind climbing into the elevator with her. She stood meekly beside him until the door closed and then turning she put her arms around his neck and kissed him passionately. He found her arms wrapped tight around him her body pressed close against him. Close enough so he could feel her racing heartbeat.

“I’m going to make love to you until you scream with pleasure.” He said slowly, deliberately.

She shuddered in his arms at his passionate declaration and felt his lips on hers again. The door eased open and a moment passed before they noticed and stepped onto the floor. She looked at the discreet numbered plaques by the door until she found their room. Swiping the keycard she moved inside through the door and gasped when Roman lifted her off her feet and carried her over to the bed.

“Slow down.” She said laughing.

He lay next to her on the bed neither of them noticing the door slowly shutting behind them.

“So tell me again that you love me.” Mike said with a grin.

“No.” Danni said wriggling her toes before pressing them down in the hot sand. “You’ve got way too big a head as it is.”

He smiled and lifted his hand trailing it across her bare stomach letting a shower of sand fall from his fingers.

“Mike!” she muttered sitting up and rubbing the sand off her.

He chuckled.

“You child.” She muttered slapping at his hand as he reached for her.

She stood up and stepped away form the towel lying on the sand and brushed herself down.

“I’m going for a swim.” She said to him.

Mike half leaned up.

“Want me to come?” he asked her.

Danni grinned and pulled off the band from around her wrist and pulling back her hair from her face she twisted the band around her hair tugging it into a ponytail.

“no read your book.” She instructed.

She leant down and kissed him.

“I do you know.” She said. “Love you.”

“I love you too.” He replied and smiled as she walked to the waters edge. He watched as she moved along the edge before wading in walking through the waves until the water was up to her knees. She shallow dove then and began swimming out. He smiled seeing her strike easily through the incoming waves before picking up the book and opening it to the chapter he needed to read before classes began again. He traced the words on the page hoping they would sink in and groaned when they jumbled before his tired eyes. Eventually he sank back on his towel closing his eyes. He slipped into sleep easier than when he lay down in his bed at night.

Ella woke up suddenly. She climbed out of the bed and reached for her clothes.

“Whatisit?” he mumbled.

“We have to go home now.” She said.

“El.” He called out her name coming awake.

“Now Roman. Get your clothes on. Something.” She stopped and looked up. “Bad is going to happen.”

Roman rubbed at his eyes and turned placing his feet on the floor and climbed out of the bed.

“Stay there.” he told her striding into the bathroom.

She heard the shower come on and groaned.

“We don’t have time for that,” she muttered just as the shower clicked off and Roman came out of the bathroom a towel around his hips. He gave her a look before picking up his clothes from where he’d dropped them.

“Two minutes isn’t going to make much difference.” He stated dressing quickly.

She gave him a look and stood pulling on her shoes.

He glanced back at the bed and sighed before making sure he had his phone and wallet.

“Keys? He asked.

“You think you are going to drive faster?” she asked and saw him raise his eyebrow at her and hold out his hand. She fished them out of her handbag and handed them over before grabbing the keycard and heading out of the door.

Roman shook his head and walked over to the elevators with her. She pressed the button a few times her agitation growing.

“Ella.” He murmured putting his hand on her arms and half turning her towards him. He was shocked by how cold she felt to him. “What is it?” he asked.

She shook her head tears gathering in her blue eyes.

“I don’t know. We just need to get home now.” She said slowly.

He nodded and pulled her to him holding her close.

“You know I believe you, don’t you?” he asked.

She nodded.

“Because I think I just left a wet towel on the bed.” He added.

Ella looked up at him and gave him a smile before a fearful expression crossed her face again. He moved closer to her sighing as the lift doors finally opened in front of them and they stepped on the elevator.

Mike woke up feeling as though someone had shook him awake. He looked at his watch and groaned, glancing over at Danni’s towel he saw that she was still gone and sighed before standing easily and looking out at the deep blue ocean.

Chapter 39

Mike ran to the waters edge scanning the sea for Danni. He looked first for any swimmers then looked for someone in her costume. He started to feel a flurry of panic go through him and moaned under his breath. He couldn’t examine how he felt then because he knew the answer would be that he felt empty, as though something was missing and he groaned out loud as the thought that maybe Danni was gone went through him like a sharp pain. He wondered how she had coped when he was reported missing because it had only been two minutes and he felt like he was falling apart. He paced up the beach seeing if he could spot her in the water almost bumping into one of the regular surfers.

“Hey man!” he cried out..

“Sorry. Mike muttered. “Anybody still swimming out there?” he asked quickly.

“No dude the undertow is wicked. Everybody has come in.” the guy said walking away.

Mike looked around the beach before heading out into the water. He felt the warmth lull him into a false sense of security for the undertow was icy cold against his skin. Moving quickly he waded up to his waist and planted his feet securely in the shifting sands trying to keep his balance as he searched deeper in the water.

He caught a flash of colour ahead of him and began to swim towards it his arms slicing powerfully through the deep blue green water. He felt the current dragging him towards the rocks and he fought it kicking harder with each stroke, gasping as his breath was torn from his body.

Ella looked over at Roman’s profile as he drove. She could see that he was concentrating on the road ahead and she was loath to talk to him.

“El.” He said after a time. “I can talk and drive at the same time.”

She gave a small gasp before turning and looking at him again.

“Even though we are going really fast?” she asked looking at the display on the dashboard.

“Yes.” He replied.

She watched him check in the mirrors before signalling and overtaking the car in front.

“I don’t know.” She said softly.

“What don’t you know?” he asked after a time.

He eased his foot off the accelerator and dropped down a gear as the traffic slowed in front of them and they were forced to join the queue ahead.

“Pass me the atlas.” He murmured.

She reached to the glove box pulling out the book and handing it over.

He turned to the correct page and began plotting an alternate route.

“Ok.” he said after a time. “I need you to navigate.”

“Me?” Ella squeaked out in a high pitched voice. “Have you not been married to me for 12 years? I have trouble telling left from right.”

Roman grinned.

“It’s easy.” He murmured handing over the book. “This road here. That’s what we want to get to and to do that we need to be in that lane there.” he said with a gesture.

She looked down and saw where he had pointed out just as he hit the indicator and started easing across the traffic. She saw him mouth a swearword as one driver cut him off before he finally got in the right lane and heading across country.

“What is it El?” he asked after a moment.

“I don’t know.” She moaned. “I just feel.” She stopped and clutched at her stomach.

“El!” he gasped out. “Is it the baby?”

She shook her head unable to speak.

“Loss.” She gasped out. “I feel loss. Oh Roman, we have to get home.”

“I’m going as fast as I can love.” He murmured.

“I know. But we need to be there.” she moaned low in her throat feeling the raw pain of a loss she couldn’t define.

He glanced at her before looking at the road ahead and pressing the accelerator down.

Mike dug down and swam faster against the current. He’d almost lost sight of the person in the water and a part of him hoped that it wasn’t Danni but he felt deep inside that it was. That he was losing her. He saw them sink down under the waves and moaned under his breath, feeling his lungs bursting for oxygen. He cursed that he was still so unfit as he fought against the urge to stop swimming for a moment and get his breath back.

Diving under the waves and he swam under water searching for anything, his eyes stinging from the salt water. Finally spotting the figure sinking further down he kicked his feet and reached out his fingers slipping as he tried to grasp hold. Her eyes snapped open as she saw him and he saw her lips open in surprise her last held breath leaving her in a gasp of surprise and she sank lower.

“No!” he cried out.

His straining lungs forced him to surface and he gulped in a deep breath before diving again.

Ella sat forward in the seat, the protective seatbelt straining against her body. She gulped in a deep breath and let it out slowly closing her eyes she focused inward on the feelings inside. Panic, loss, pain, desperation. She looked out the front window before closing her eyes and focusing on whatever was making her feel like that. She missed Roman’s look of concern.

Mike felt something urging him on and he dove lower finally reaching her. He grabbed hold of her arm and kicked to reach the surface. Finally breaking through the waves. He pulled her against him cursing as he felt her lifeless form fall limply into his arms. Looking around he scanned the water to see if there was anyone there that could help before he lay on his back and kicked, his arm wrapped around her pulling her too.

“El.” Roman murmured her name forcing her attention back to him and where they were. She saw the Welcome to Summer Bay sign up ahead and realised she had been in a world of her own for the past thirty minutes.

“The beach.” She said softly.

He nodded and headed straight for the beach.

“Here.” She told him after a minute.

He gave her a look before parking the car and climbing out moving round to her side and opening the door. He reached over and unsnapped the seatbelt helping her out of the car. She looked at him and then along the beach and finally into the water. Lifting her hand she pointed.

“Oh my god.” He gasped out.

Without a second look he ran down the beach and kicked off his shoes, discarding his wallet and phone he waded in through the water feeling the swell of waves push against his legs. Diving he began to swim. His powerful stroke slicing through the water.

Ella watched as he reached Mike and Danni taking the girl from Mike and helping her to the shore. Mike collapsed exhausted to the beach.

“Mum.” He whispered.

“Don’t talk.” She said and knelt next to Danni. She pushed her hair back from her face before checking for a pulse. “Ok.” she said at Roman’s enquiring look.

He nodded and watched as Ella cleared Danni’s airway before leaning down and breathing into her mouth.

“!-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10.” Roman called out doing chest compressions.

Ella breathed in her mouth again before looking at her chest to check for movement. She nodded at Roman and he began compressions again. Easing away as Ella breathed again for her daughter. She touched the side of her neck again feeling for a pulse.

“Again.” She told him.

Roman nodded pressing down on Danni’s chest before Ella once more breathed life into her. She stopped and looked seeing the rise of her chest and then the fall before Danni gasped on her own and turned coughing up water. She vomited on to the beach as the heaves went through her.

“Thank god.” Mike gasped out.

“Mike.” Danni moaned in a horse whisper. “Knew you’d save me.” She murmured.

“Roman get her towel.” Ella instructed pointing to the towels lying side by side some distance away. He nodded and eased to his feet running over and grabbing the two towels before bringing them back.

“Here.” He said.

Ella took them from him handing one to Mike and the other she put round Danni rubbing circulation back into her arms.

“We need to get you checked out.” Ella said.

Mike nodded moving to his feet. He went to reach for Danni and felt himself sway as shock set in.

Roman moved gathering up his things along with Danni’s bag and Mike stuff. He carried them to the car collecting the blanket from the back he walked back over to them and picked Danni up easily placing the blanket around her. He carried her to the car knowing that Ella would be helping Mike walk up the beach.

“How did you know?” Mike asked her his teeth chattering.

“Just felt it.” Ella said simply not understanding what had happened.

He smiled at her and moved to the back of the car sitting next to Danni.

Roman looked at her and grinned.

“Spook stuff.” He said softly.

Ella looked at him as he dragged off his wet shirt and pulled on the T-shirt he kept in the back of the car as part of his gym kit. He shut the back and grabbed a spare towel and placing that on the seat getting once more behind the wheel. Ella got in beside him and he drove them to the hospital.

Chapter 40

“Get back up those stairs and lay down.” Roman muttered looking at Ella.

“I’m fine.” She told him softly placing a hand on her stomach. “We’re fine.” She added and watched the smile appear on his face.

She moved into the lounge and saw the kids sitting at the table with their workbooks before going over to William and Lily. She knelt down and gave each of them a cuddle and a kiss.

“Hey Mum.” Gabby called from the front door. “I’ve brought Jacob home.”

Ella grinned at the expression on Meggy’s face before standing up straight and turning to the lounge door. She gave Jacob a smile.

“Come on in.” she called out to him.

“Hello.” He murmured sounding nervous.

“Want a drink Jacob?” Roman said from the kitchen. “I’m just doing dinner are you two staying?” he asked.

Gabby gave Jacob a little push and he stepped into the room fully.

“Are we staying?” he asked Gabby.

She looked at her mother and then nodded.

“I’d like to.” She told him.

He smiled at her and moved further into the room.

“I’d like a beer please.” He murmured to Roman. “and I think we are staying.”

Roman grinned before handing over a bottle.

“El.” He called softly.

“Banana milkshake please.” She murmured and heard his chuckle before the kids turned and looked at her.

“Mummy?” Sammy asked. “Can I tell them now please?”

Roman laughed at his son and looked over at Ella.

“Go on then.” She said to him, watching as Sammy stood up from the table. He was hopping from one foot to the other in his eagerness to spill the beans he had been holding for weeks.

“Mummy is pregnant.” He gasped.

Sophie giggled.

“That so Sammy.” she murmured.

He nodded.

Meggy laughed and stood up running over to her mother.

“Cool.” She muttered hugging her.

El bent down and lifted her up hugging her close.

“Really Megs?” she asked softly.

Meggy nodded.

“Can we have another little brother because we have a lot of girls.” She asked.

Ella laughed.

“Not sure it works that way but we’ll see.” She said giving her daughter a kiss and lowering her to her feet.

Roman brought out the milkshake and handed it to her his fingers tangling with hers for a moment before he walked back into the kitchen. She took a drink and smiled before moving over to the big sofa and sitting on it. Gabby and Jacob sat on the other one.

“How is Danni?” Gabby asked.

“She’s ok. Mike is with her. Think they are both in shock still.”

Gabby turned and explained what had happened to Jacob missing out the bit where Ella had the premonition.

“They were lucky.” Jacob said softly.

Gabby nodded.

“Ok I’m ready to check homework.” Ella called out and grinned as Sammy ran over to her first.

She lifted him on to the sofa next to her and looked at his book commenting on his work.

“Well done babes. “ she murmured giving him a kiss. “Now to Daddy for maths.”

Sammy giggled and ran over to Roman chuckling as Roman lifted him up and sat with him at the table.

“I’ve had science today.” Sophie said with a grimace bringing her books over.

Ella read the textbook before checking what Sophie had done.

“This is good. “ she told her. “But do you want to add some more about this question here?” she asked tracing the last question in the book.

Sophie squinted as she read it before nodding.

“Ok I think I understand.” She murmured going back over to the table.

“I’m more impressed.” Jacob said to Gabby. “Not many parents take this much interest.”

Gabby shrugged.

“My parents are pretty special.” She said quietly and smiled over at her mother.

“I’m next.” Georgie said. “English and Science.”

“How come you didn’t show me your English Sophie?” Ella asked.

“I haven’t thought of my topic yet. We are supposed to write a play in three acts.” She murmured softly.

“And you’ve already done yours?” Ella asked Georgie.

He nodded.

“Sort off. I have the start of it but I’m not sure how it ends.” He began. “But Sophie is ok because it doesn’t have to be in for three weeks.”

“Ok Sophie, why don’t you write some ideas down when you’ve finished that and we’ll have a look tomorrow and maybe decide what you want to do.” Ella suggested.

Sophie nodded and bit her lip as she looked at her workbook.

Ella held put her hand for Georgie’s notebook and read his science homework.

“Good but you haven’t fully answered the last question.” She told him.

He nodded before handing her the binder with his play in. Ella read it through and looked at her son.

“It’s very good but perhaps you should show your dad.” She told him gently stroking his fringe back from his face.

“Do you think he will be ok with it?” Georgie asked uncertainly.

“I think he would be proud of you. It’s very moving.” She said quietly.

He nodded and went to stand up when Roman moved to the sofa.

“What do you want to show me?” he asked softly.

With a nervous hand Georgie handed over the binder with the play in. Roman accepted it and began to read.

“This is good.” He told his son. “It’s very lifelike.” He added after a minute.

“But is it ok to show at school? Its got the Mark stuff in it. Not his name or anything but its about…” he trailed off.

“Georgie son, I’m very proud that you can write something this good. Of course you can show it at school.” Roman told him.

Georgie looked at his dad and gasped when he was pulled in to his arms for a hug.

“Thanks Dad.” Georgie said.

“Now then go finish your science.” Ella told Georgie stroking his back.

He stood up and moved over to the table.

“My turn.” Meggy muttered dragging her feet.

“Come on Megan Hope Harris or you’ll be left school before you get over here!” Ella told her with a grin.

Meggy walked faster and sat between her parents.

“Does he have to be here?” she asked quickly.

“What did I tell you about manners young lady.”

“No it’s not that its just that he might laugh at me.” She gasped out.

“Well if he does we’ll tell Mike to have a word with him.” Ella said tickling her daughter.

She gave a half grin and held out her books.

“English. We had to write a poem.” She muttered.

Ella looked over at the page with the crossings out and the scribble.

“Are you writing this up neat?” she asked gently.

“oops.” She said and reached out turning the page. She re-written it out using her best handwriting.

Ella smiled and leaned down to kiss her daughter on the top of her head.

“Ok.” she said and began to re-read the poem. “Wow, I think I have a talented daughter here.”

“Really Mummy?” Meggy asked shyly.

Ella nodded before handing over the folder to Roman.

He read it slowly and nodded.

“Good Megs.” He said quietly.

She beamed proudly and shot up off the sofa and over to the table.

“She also had maths homework.” Jacob said quietly.

Ella chuckled.

“She’ll do that in the morning.” She told him. “Best not to push her.”

He nodded.

“How high is her IQ?” he asked after a minute.

“About 118.” Roman told him. “It’s not that she’s lazy or can’t really do it.”

“More that she doesn’t enjoy it.” Ella said. “She prefers to do other stuff.”

“Yeah.” Meggy agreed from the other side of the room causing Jacob to laugh.

“Hey.” Danni called softly from the doorway to the veranda outside.

Sophie jumped up from the table and ran over to her hugging her.

“Hey Sophie.” Danni said quietly hugging her back.

“Are you ok?” Sophie asked.

“I’m fine.” Danni murmured. “We kind of wanted to come over and spend some time with you all.” She explained.

“Come on then.” Ella said.

Danni moved over to her and sat down.

Ella grinned and put her arms around her holding her tight.

“Ok?” she asked quietly.

Danni nodded.

“You saved me. After everything I’ve done you saved me.” She moaned beginning to cry.

“What have you done my daughter, except help me find my angel.” Ella asked her referring to Gabby.

Gabby blushed and came over to sit next to Danni.

“Well if she hadn’t saved you I would have been a little cross, Sister. Who else is going to be my bridesmaid?” she asked and then bit her lip as Ella looked at her.

“Jacob, you do know she has this tendency to blurt things out don’t you?” she asked him.

He grinned.

“I have noticed that.” He confessed. “But I kinda like her anyway.”

Roman laughed.

“Do I need to do hot chocolate?” he asked.

“I think so.” Ella told him feeling his hand stroking her back.

“Another family thing I need to know about?” Jacob asked.

Meggy nodded moving over to sit next to him.

“When any one of us gets upset we have a cup of hot chocolate and some of Dad’s biscuits and it makes us feel better.” She told him.

Gabby smiled at her sister.

“Thank you.” She mouthed at her.

Mike walked in through the doors grinning.

“Hot chocolate?” he asked.

Danni nodded at him.

“And Gabby and Jacob are getting married.” She told him.

He smiled at her.

“And Mummy is pregnant.” Sammy said from the table not to be outdone.

“Mum?” Mike said slowly. “I won’t mention any lectures on safe ….”

“Yeah ok.” she muttered ignoring his smug look.

“Mama.” Lily cried out moving over to her.

“Come on then.” Ella said lifting her daughter up on to her lap.

“Liam.” Lily called.

They watched as William left his toys and stood up moving over to them. He held up his arms and Ella picked him up too putting him next to Lily.

“There you go.” She told Lily.

Her daughter smiled.

“Are we watching a film?” Meggy asked.

“Is your homework finished?” Ella asked back and grinned when she saw her face fall.

“Nearly.” She murmured.

“Ok kids put your books away.” Ella said to them.

“Yey!” Meggy cried rushing over to the table.

Roman stood and moved into the kitchen to make the hot chocolate drink setting out cups on a tray ready. He smiled at Gabby as she moved into the kitchen to stand next to him.

“Is Ella ok with us?” she asked softly.

He nodded.

“Yes she is. She likes him Gabby. “ He didn’t add any comment about Chris knowing that with Jacob now about to be a member of the family the other man would never leave them alone. He could just about cope with that, but if he upset Ella anymore he’d probably do something violent.

“Its just that when Mike got engaged you broke open the champagne.” She said biting her lip.

Roman looked at her and sighed.

“Gabby, I’m sorry it’s been a weird sort of day altogether. Of course we’ll do that for you.” He told her.

Ella put the babies on the sofa next to her before easing up and moving into the kitchen to stand next to Gabby.

“Hey.” She said quietly.

“Gabby is a little upset we aren’t toasting her in champagne.” Roman said quickly.

“How selfish of us. Of course we need to get the champagne out. I’m sorry Gabby.” Ella cried out.

“It’s ok.” Gabby said blushing.

“I think she thought it was because you didn’t approve.” Roman added.

“God no Gabby, it’s because we’ve had a strange day. We just didn’t think. I’m sorry.” Ella said to her daughter.

Gabby gave her a look.

“Will you settle for being toasted in hot chocolate tonight and we’ll get the champagne out this weekend?” Ella asked.

Gabby nodded and kissed her mum on the cheek before she moved into the lounge to sit with Jacob.

“Ok?” he asked her.

She nodded once more.

“Everything is ok.” she told him.

Archived