A Summer Bay Wedding II

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 21

Roman looked up as the two uniformed officers stepped into the hospital waiting room.

“Roman Harris?” one of them said.

He stood up picking Lily up with him and holding her on his lip.

“I’m Roman Harris.” He murmured.

He felt a feeling of dread in the pit of his stomach.

“Can you come with us please?” he was asked.

“Actually no I can’t. I’ve got my kids here.” Roman said looking at them. “What is the problem officers?”

“Sir, I’ve asked you nicely. I need you to step into the corridor.”

Roman shook his head and rocked Lily when she started to fret.

“No.” he muttered. “I’m not leaving my kids.”

He looked at first one and then the other police officer.

“What is this about?” he asked meeting the eyes of the first one to speak to him. He saw a faint contempt in his gaze before they stepped away and spoke in a soft whisper.

“Wait.” Roman gasped out reading after their lips. “No freaking way. She fell. I would never hit her.” he was forced to put Lily on the floor as she wriggled out of his grasp.

“Sir, step away from the children.” The blond officer that looked even younger than Mike muttered.

Roman took a step forward and folded his arms across his chest. He took in the two policemen, the green painted walls of the hospital waiting room and the fact that no-one had come to tell him how Ella was and his blood started to boil. A noise form outside caught his attention and he saw two people being directed into the waiting room.

“Are these the children?” one of newcomers spoke to the dark haired officer.

“Wait what are you doing?” Roman gasped out. “Leave my kids alone.”

“This is procedure sir. These people are from the department of children’s service.” He was told.

“I don’t freaking care who they are. Stay away from my kids.” Roman said and turned to pick up William.

Lily looked up at him and began crying forcing his attention back to her. He moved towards her and was intercepted by one of the policemen as the two people from DOCs stepped further into the room and approached Lily.

“Stay away from her. You aren’t taking her.” Roman bit out.

Lily picked up on the tension in the room and made to run to Roman. She skirted one of the people but seem to get knocked by the blonde haired officer. She fell landing on her side and screamed. Roman moved darting away from them to Lily and tried to pick her up. He was stopped by the officers as Lily and then William were taken away.

Swerving from the grip on his arm he spun awkwardly before raising his fist and throwing the first punch. He could hear Lily screaming as she was taken away and he swore.

“Give me back my children.” He shouted.

He felt one of them thump his stomach and exhaled quickly, as the air leaving his lungs making a small ouff sound. He caught on of them around the waist and lifted him up half spinning him around and out of his way and he sprinted towards the door. He felt more blows descending as they tried to stop him only succeeding in slowing his pace. He got halfway thorough the door and into the corridor meeting the horrified gaze of Rachel before he was tackled to the ground. He hears swearing and then his arm was wrenched behind his back and he was handcuffed. It took two of them to lift him to his feet.

“Rachel.” Roman gasped out. “What’s going on?” he added.

“She told us all about how you beat up your wife mate.” One of the officers hissed at him.

He turned and looked at the one who spoke noting with satisfaction the split lip and purpling bruise on his cheek. “You are arrested.”

“Rachel.” Roman cried out as he was dragged from the hospital. “They took my kids Rachel. How could you do that to Ella?”

“You are a fine one to talk after what you did to her.” the blond one muttered before punching him in the kidneys. “I hate wife beaters.” He added smiling with satisfaction as Roman cried out in pain.

“I promise you that you’ll hate something worse soon.” Roman told him as he was unceremoniously put in the back of the squad car.

“Oh yeah what’s that?” he sneered back at Roman.

“Pissing off an ex SAS solider.” Roman promised his eyes narrowing.

“I was army before I joined the force. You are just a bunch of pussy’s.” he muttered glaring at Roman.

Roman lowered his head before lifting it again and looked at him a strangely cold but also burning expression on his face.

“You want to watch what you say.” Roman said softly to the other man.

“Ouh I’m scared of the hard man who gets his kicks hitting women.” They murmured to one another in the front of the car as they set off. The drive to Yabbie Creek police station took minutes and then he was dragged out of the back of the car and inside the building.

“Why don’t you make it easy for us and struggle just a little bit.” He was told in a fierce whisper as he was punched in the ribs once more.

Roman swore softly under his breath as he was moved to one of the interview rooms. He was sat in one of the wooden chairs with the handcuffs still attached to his wrists. Feeling the sharp cool metal digging in to his skin he worked his fingers around the bands until he felt the locking mechanism. Finding the strap of his watched he flicked his nail under the top edge of the pin connecting the strap to the dial. He felt it begin to work out and grabbed a careful hold of it between his two fingers drawing it out slowly. He felt his watch loosening until it slipped from his wrist altogether and fell on to the back of the chair leaving him with the small metal pin in his fingers.

“Aren’t you supposed to advise me of my rights?” Roman asked slowly.

“Aren’t you a smart arse Roman Harris? Do you think we went to that hospital without reading your file?” he was asked.

“Actually yes. Because then you wouldn’t be sitting here thinking smug little thoughts you’d be scared.” Roman said softly.

He inserted the pin into the lock of the cuffs and began a slow exploration of the locking mechanism feeling where it caught and latched.

“Think you’d have more fun hitting us as much as you enjoyed hitting your wife?” the blond one sneered.

“Oh, I’m going to have a lot of fun hitting you.“ Roman said with a slow grin. “But for the record I didn’t hit my wife she fell. And you can ask her.” after he said the last bit he felt a frisson of fear go through him that maybe there was a dark reason they couldn’t ask her before smiling. There was no way anything bad happened to her because he would have known.

“We might do but she’s still unconscious.” He was told. “Did you use your fists or just slap her?”

Roman looked at the table keeping quiet while he worked on the lock. He felt something give and the handcuffs loosen on his wrist but didn’t open. Taking a deep breath he focused on the look once more letting his training guide the tiny pick in his fingers as he moved it in the lock.

Rachel looked at Aden and sighed.

“How could you?” he said again.

“I had no idea they would do that. You know we have to report anything suspicious now.” She defended herself knowing that they had a right to hate her for what she did.

“So you weighed up hospital policy against your friends, people who you’ve known for years and what?” Aden sneered. “Thought, hey, at least it will make life interesting.”

“No I thought about the bruises on Ella’s face and I remembered all the times he has hurt her Aden. Or did you not remember the time he tried to strangle her?” she muttered defensively.

Aden looked at her and shook his head before walking away. He stabbed the button that called the elevator a couple of times before spinning back around and looking at the other woman.

“Does she know?” he asked her without answering her question.

“She’s asleep at the moment.” Rachel said softly.

“So you haven’t asked her what happened?” Aden muttered.

“I did. She said Roman hurt her.” she told him her eyes clouded with bewilderment as she forced herself to remember.

Aden swore and reached out jabbing at the button once more. He saw the lights at the top of the elevator telling him it had arrived at their floor before the doors opened and he stepped inside. Rachel followed him and they rode in silence down to the floor where Ella’s room was. Stepping off the elevator they walked quickly to her room.

“Aden there is more.” Rachel said slowly. “The police called in DOCs. They took Lily and William before I could stop them.”

“Oh god Rachel. Ella is going to kill.” He said quietly.

She nodded.

Aden swore before he pushed open the door and walked inside. He saw Ella laying on the bed her face pale aside from the dark bruises and he shared a look with Rachel.

“Ella.” He called out softly.

He saw her stir on the bed before her eyes finally opened.

“Aden?” she asked puzzled.

She winced at the pain in her head and lifted her hand up touching the bruise gently.

“Hey Ella, what happened to you?” Aden asked.

“I fell out of bed.” She muttered with a laugh.

He heard Rachel gasp behind him and forced himself not to turn to her and comment.

“How you do that?” he asked her.

Ella eased up in the bed and put her back against the head of the bed flexing her wrist.

“My feet got tangled in the sheet and I slipped landing on my head.” she said and blushed remembering the night before and why the sheet had been tangled. Roman had been due to make the bed but had woken late for his run with Miles, also a result of the previous night.

Rachel and Aden exchanged a look before Rachel spoke.

“We have a new policy at the hospital.” She began. “We have to report.” She stopped and saw understanding dawning on Ella’s face.

“You think Roman did this?” she asked.

“I did. You were pretty incoherent when you came in.” Rachel said trying not to sound defensive.

“Ella I called the police.” She said finally.

Ella looked at her and swore.

“So where is Roman? And my kids?” she asked them. “Oh no.” she added looking at her face. “My kids?” she asked slowly.

“They called in Docs.” Aden supplied. “Roman was taken to the station in handcuffs.”

Ella swung her legs off the bed and yanked at the drip in her arm.

“You can’t leave Ella you have a concussion.” Rachel said quickly moving over to her.

“Get away from me.” Ella hissed. “Get my clothes.”

“Ella please.” Rachel held out her hands.

“You touch me and I will kill you.” She told the other woman. “You got my kids taken away from me and if anything happens to my babies I will never forgive you as long as I live.”

Ella stood up feeling the room spinning around her and dull constant thud in her head. she looked at the bedside cabinet and opened the locker pulling out her clothes.

“Are you planning to stand there while I get dressed?” she asked them.

“Ella what are you going to do?” Aden said to her.

“I’m going to the police station before Roman kills someone and then I’m going to kick up a fuss at childrens services.” She explained slowly.

“I’ll drive you.” Aden said looking over at Rachel. “I’ll be waiting outside.” He added and moved out of the room.

Ella gave Rachel a look of contempt,

“Was there anything else Doctor?” she asked in a cold voice.

Rachel flinched.

“Yes. We did a pregnancy test.” She said slowly. “It was negative.”

Ella nodded.

“Fine.” She said the one word before turning away from her.

“Ella are we..” Rachel began to ask.

Ella bit back a wave of nausea and looked at the other woman scathingly.

“If you never speak to me again that will be too soon. My husband and my kids Rachel.” She told her.

“I know.” Rachel murmured. “I know what I did.”

Ella shook her head.

“Get out.” she told her. “Get out of my sight.”

Rachel spun around tears glistening in her honey eyes as she left the room. She walked past Aden without saying a word.

“Ella.” Aden called.

“I’m coming.” She replied and stepped out of the room. She looked down at her bare feet and sighed. Next time she would grab shoes before passing out unconscious.

“You planning on walking barefoot?”

“It’s my new hippy look.” Ella told him.

He gave her a look and walked slowly behind her.

“You know Rachel was..” he began to explain.

“Save it Aden. Just get me to the police station.” Ella instructed.

He guided her to his car opening the back and pulling out a pair of Belle’s flip-flop sandal things and handing them to her.

“Here.” He said quickly.

Ella nodded and slipped them on her feet before climbing into the car.

Roman worked the small pick around the lock and heard the final small click that told him the cuff was undone. He flexed his wrist and felt it fall away before he turned his attention to the other cuff. This lock was easier and snapped open quickly. He let them fall to the chair and reached for his watch. Ella had bought him it a while back when his old one died and he rather liked the silver metal design. Nic’s squeal when she saw it told him that it was probably some kind of designer thing. He put the pin back in it and tugged at the strap testing it before snapping the watch back around his wrist.

He picked up the fallen cuffs after that his fingers touching the cold metal.

“Why don’t you make it easy on yourself and tell us what you did to your wife?” the dark haired one said.

“Oh wait, are you good cop now?” Roman asked him. He turned to the blond one and smiled slowly. “That must make you dumb cop.”

The blond one roared before reaching out and slapping Roman around his face.

“Get Charlie in here now.” Roman snapped out.

“She’s not working today.” The dark haired one said before being glared at by the other cop.

“I read your file.” The blond began again. “You like to strike first don’t you?”

Roman grinned and shook his head refusing to rise to the taunts.

Ella looked over at Aden’s profile as he drove.

“Give me your phone.” She told him.

He reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone. She didn’t even flinch as she looked at the pink phone and he was grateful He had Amy-Belle’s old phone while his was in for repair.

Ella dialled a number from memory and waited while the call was connected.

“Charlie?” she said into it.

“Yeah hi, is that Ella?” Charlie said breathlessly after hearing her voice.

“Sorry to interrupt..” Ella began and heard the other woman laugh.

“I’m at the gym, interruptions welcome.” She told her.

“Roman is at the police station. He’s been arrested.” Ella told her quickly.

“Say no more I’m on my way.” Charlie said and cut the connection.

Ella smiled before concentrating on trying to remember the next number she needed to dial. She gave up after a minute and called directory enquires asked them for it. They repeated the number dutifully back to her. She asked to be connected and heard the phone ringing.

“Solicitors.” The receptionist answered the call.

“Hello this is Ella Harris I need to talk to Owen immediately.” She murmured. “It’s urgent.”

“He’s free so I’ll put your call straight through please hold Mrs Harris.”

Ella took a breath and then another one sucking in oxygen. Aden slotted a concerned look over at her.

“Are you ok?” Aden asked.

“I’m feeling a little sick to be honest.” She admitted.

“Want me to pull over?” he asked.

She shook her head.

“Hello.” She murmured when the call was put through.

“Ella what can I do for you?” Owen Wright-Phillips her solicitor asked.

Ella explained what happened and heard his sigh in the background.

“Don’t worry I’ll get over to Doc’s right away and sort it out.” he told her.

She nodded.

“Thanks Owen.” She said to him and ended the call. She handed the phone back to Aden and flashed a quick grin at him.

“Pink huh?” she said.

“What can I say I’m in touch with my feminine side.” Aden murmured pulling up outside the station. He got out and walked around the side of the car to help her out sighing as he felt her tremble.

“El?” he asked.

“Just feeling sick.” She told him moving away from him and inside.

“There is really only one thing you need to know.” Roman said slowly.

He stood up from the seat and looked at them pityingly his hands clasped behind his back.

“Sit down.” The blond one sneered, stepping closer to him.

“Ask yourself what could be so important about what I want to say?” Roman said slowly deliberately drawing the blond one closer to him.

“What?” he sneered once more.

“I think you need your handcuffs back.” Roman said swinging his hand from behind his back. The silver metal glinted as it swung in a quasi-elegant arc and hit him in his face. He felt the connection shudder through his hand at the same time a splatter of blood erupted form the coppers now broken nose.

He spun looking at the other man and saw him reaching for his gun holster. He threw the handcuffs at him catching him by surprise as they hit him in the face before grabbing hold of the blond one and wrapping one arm around his neck using leverage to tip him off balance whilst her spun him in front of him. He caught hold of his flailing hand and bent his arm behind his back.

“Now I’ll ask nicely. Get Charlie in here.” He told the dark haired one.

He saw him flounder before he slowly walked backwards to the door.

Ella looked at the policeman on the desk and shook her head.

“Listen, let me explain it to you one more time. I’ll try not to use big words as they seem to confuse you. Get my husband out here now!” Ella shouted slamming her hands down on the counter in front of her.

“Ma’am calm down.” She was told.

“No, I’m about this close to throwing up on you. I’ve been told he is here so go get him.” Ella screamed gesturing with her thumb on forefinger. “Either you get him here now or you’ll have to deal with the biggest lawsuit ever filed and you’ll end up a part time meter maid.”

“Ella honey is that you?” Roman asked walking slowly backwards out of the room his arm still around the neck of the blond haired cop dragging him in front of him.

“Hi honey, sorry to interrupt but I thought I should come and rescue these poor policemen before you pretty much lost your temper.” Ella said with a sigh of relief

“Gentlemen allow me to introduce my wife, you know the one you said I had beaten up.”

Ella laughed.

“I hope that you aren’t going to charge him because well you need a statement from me and he didn’t actually do it.” she said slowly sucking in another breath.

“I have to tell you that this one knocked over Lily when they dragged me away.” Roman said to her and heard her roar of anger.

“How dare you touch my daughter? And have them taken away? And then arrest him without even a corroborating statement to say that my husband did anything?” she shouted highlighting the procedural errors of the arrest.

Charlie walked into the station then still dressed in her gym clothes.

“Roman put him down.” She said softly.

He nodded and let go of the other man stepping back and over to Ella. He caught her just as she collapsed.

“El.” He said quietly.

She smiled quickly.

“I’m ok.” she told him.

“Tigress.” He murmured in her ear before leading her over to a seat.

“Constable Buckton.” The blond one began speaking.

She held up her hand and looked at him.

“Now then perhaps you’ll like to explain why he was arrested?” she asked and heard the two young officers begin speaking at the same time. “Enough. My office.” She bit out.

“Charlie I’m taking Ella out of here and getting my kids back.” Roman said to her.

“Woah, back up kids?” Charlie asked.

He quickly explained about Lily and William being taken and saw an all too familiar expression of anger cross Charlie’s face.

“I’ll sort this.” She told him. “Go.”

Roman nodded and picked Ella up in his arms and carried her out to the car. Aden slowly following.

“Taking on an entire police station?” Aden asked. “Now that is one story I can’t wait to tell Nic.”

Roman gave him a look and then grinned, thinking of what he’d just done. Luckily Ella turned up when she did, he thought.

He climbed into the back of the car with Ella and looked down at her pale face.

“El.” He said softly.

“I’m fine.” She murmured leaning into him.

He looked at her before pressing a featherlight kiss to the bruise on her temple.

“We need to get her back to the hospital.” Aden said to him. “She needs to be monitored.”

He was about to say more when his phone rang. He looked at the display and handed to the phone over to Ella.

“Hello.” She said quickly.

“I’m at Doc’s they have your kids here.” Owen said quickly and recited the address. Ella repeated it and heard Aden sign before he turned the car around and headed towards the actual location.

“Are they ok?” she asked.

“Lily hasn’t stopped crying.” Owen told her and head Ella swear. “They began to get the paperwork together to remove your other children but I got that stopped.”

Ella groaned.

“When we get there can we bring them home or will we have to fight for them?” Ella asked.

Owen looked over at the office door where the two social workers were inside being thoroughly told off by their manager and smiled.

“No fight. You’ll be able to take them home.” He told her. “See you soon.” He concluded and hung up the phone.

Ella handed the phone back to Aden and gave Roman a smile.

“I think my solicitor has earned his money.” She said softly

“About time.” Roman muttered thinking of the messed up divorce and then chuckled when he felt Ella glare at him.

“I can always tell him to re-file the paperwork.” She murmured. “And anyway that was his father who handled that.”

Roman laughed and kissed her once more.

Aden slowed the car and pulled into a parking place looking at the address on the side of the building.

“We’re here.” He stated.

Roman climbed out of the car and helped Ella out keeping his arm around her as they moved inside.

Ella approached the front reception desk and looked at the woman. She was about to speak when she heard her daughter crying from the back office. She walked past the startled woman and followed the sound finding Lily sitting on a chair refusing to let go of William’s capsule and screaming at the woman who was there.

“Lils.” Ella said softly.

“Mama?” Lily asked looking around. “Take Liam.” She said her voice angry pointing to the social worker.

“No one is going to take him I promise.” Ella told her and moved past the woman and knelt down to her daughter. She opened her arms and Lily dived into them snuffling.

“Lily ouch.” She said.

“Ah, babes. Where does Lily ouch?” Ella asked kissing the tears off her daughter’s face.

“Ouch.” Lily said lifting her dress and revealing the bruise from where she’d fallen earlier.

Ella looked down and blew softly on it before kissing the blue-ish mark on her skin.

“Look Mama ouchy.” Ella told her pointing to the bruise on her head.

“Mama.” Lily said and blew on it before kissing it.

Ella tried not to flinch at her daughter’s exuberant kiss and gave her a smile in return.

“Thank you Lily.” She told her.

“Liam home?” Lily asked.

“Yes we are taking you home.” Ella promised.

“S’cuse me Miss you can’t just…” the social worker that had been trying to separate the two children earlier spoke up.

Ella stood picking up Lily and cradling her close before collecting William in his capsule.

“Stop me lady and you’ll regret it for the rest of your life, which will only be about five minutes but it will seem like a very long five minutes.” She hissed at her. “No-one touches my kids.”

Roman stepped forward and took hold of William’s capsule looking in on his son. He put his arm around both Ella and Lily and guided them out of there and back to the car.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 22

Ella climbed slowly into bed and curled up in Roman’s welcoming arms.

“Ok?” he asked.

“All fine. Lily is asleep and William is fine. He’s getting so big.” She murmured.

He glanced down at her breasts and smiled.

“I’m not surprised.” He said softly.

“Hey, are you perving on my breasts again?” she asked him huffily.

He grinned.

“I might be.” He confessed meeting her gaze. It had been two weeks since the incident at the police station and he still couldn’t get the image out of his mind of his tigress of a wife coming to get him.

She nudged a little closer to him snuggling up to him.

“El are you ok?” he asked her.

“I’m fine. Just a little…” she stopped and sighed. “Uncomfortable.”

He nodded and eased slightly in the bed feeling her get closer to him. He put his hand on the side of her face and tipped her head up to look at him.

“When were you going to tell me that you might have been pregnant again?” he asked softly.

“Pretty much when I needed a lift to the hospital to give birth.” She told him with a grin.

“Are you ok?” he asked her again.

She knew he was asking if she was ok at not being pregnant and she didn’t know how to answer him. On the one hand she loved her children and another baby would have been another miracle and on the other, well she was struggling to spend time with all of her kids and do the stuff she wanted to do.

“I’m .” she paused. “Disappointed.” She finished. “But on the other hand this way I don’t have to alter my dress.”

“If you wanted to we could…” he began. “Wait your dress?” he asked.

“Well yes. I spent a fortune on it.” Ella said with a smile.

“Does that mean we are still getting married?” he asked.

She nodded and yawned at the same time.

“And how long have you known we were still getting married?” he asked a slight touch of anger in his voice.

“Since you came to the studio and romanced me without asking about the wedding.” She told him softly.

“Hey wait.” He muttered, “As far back as that?” he asked grumpily. “I’ve been sweating bullets wondering if I should even talk to you about it.”

Ella giggled and eased back slightly so she could look into his eyes.

“We did talk about it.” she told him. “Only every time I tried to tell you that the wedding was back on something came up or the kids interrupted. I didn’t want them to know it had even been off.”

Roman reached over and kissed her.

“Ella Harris.” He muttered and laughed.

“Surely you suspected something when I ordered the bridesmaid dresses?” she asked him frowning.

“I didn’t know you had, wait, hang on, was that when you made those weird phone calls? And then came back grinning at us and teasing Nic?” he frowned as he remembered.

Ella smiled again.

“Ella Harris what are you plotting?” he muttered putting two and two together and coming up with trouble.

“Nothing much, just teaching my daughter a lesson.” Ella told him sighing. She turned over and felt him move until he was spooning her. He rubbed her stomach gently in slow circles.

“Taken anything?” he asked knowing she was suffering with cramps.

Ella sighed.

“No.” she confessed. “I’ve run out of my usual pain killers.”

“Maybe you should go see Rachel.” He suggested before remembering and bit his tongue.

“Maybe she should drop dead.” Ella hissed and moved away from him.

“Ella. Have you thought that maybe she had a point. I have hurt you in the past.” He told her thinking of when he had nearly strangled her and then there were other incidents.

“Don’t defend her.” Ella bit out.

“Ella.” Roman said.

She sighed and threw back the covers before swinging her legs to the floor.

“Are we fighting?” Roman asked her.

Ella threw a dirty look at him and moved out of the bedroom. He heard her moving down the stairs and sighed. Rolling over on his back he decided to give her an hour and then he would bring her back to bed.

Ella muttered something under her breath before heading into the kitchen and making a pan of hot chocolate. She poured out a cup and blew on it to cool it.

“Got another one there?” Gabby asked her walking into the kitchen.

“I might do if you are planning on telling me what is going on between you and Jacob.” Ella said to her daughter unable to disguise the note of unease in her voice.

Gabby looked at her and sighed.

“I don’t know.” She admitted sitting on a stool. “One minutes he’s all like cute and happy and then he’s so…” she stopped and sipped at her cup of chocolate. “I don’t know.”

Ella smiled.

“Do you like him?” she asked her daughter.

“Yes.” Gabby answered immediately. “What the hell did you put in this?” she asked looking in the cup.

Ella held up the bottle of rum and showed Gabby.

“How could you not warn me?” Gabby muttered her words slurring ever so slightly.

“You wanted the chocolate.” Ella said with a shrug.

“And you wanted answers.” Gabby retorted.

“I did. Gabby I don’t trust Chris and as much as it’s not his fault I don’t trust Jacob I just don’t like him.”

Gabby sighed and looked over at her.

“Just because Chris hurt you.” Gabby muttered slamming down the cup.

“Do you think that I am that shallow Gabriel?” Ella said angrily.

“I don’t know you.” Gabby muttered to her ignoring the look of pain that went across her mother’s face.

Ella looked into her cup and put it in the sink before moving into the lounge. She picked out a film and put that on before sitting on the sofa. Pulling the throw over herself she settled down to watch.

“I didn’t mean it.” Gabby said from the doorway.

“Yes you did. Go to bed Gabby.” Ella said quietly.

“Mum.” She protested.

“You are right Gabby you don’t know me. Chris hurt me and I let him hurt Mike. I am not going to sit by and let another of my kids get hurt by him.” Ella told her.

“Woah, wait up. Chris hurt Mike?” Gabby asked. “How? I mean he didn’t hit him or anything?”

Ella sat up straighter and looked at Gabby.

“Chris wanted me to give Mike up and he put pressure on me. It wasn’t that he was still married that made me leave him it was that I came home to find he had slapped Mike and shut him in his room. Said he was distracting him from his work.” Ella tugged the throw round her tighter. “I packed my bags right then and booked a flight and came home.”

“I’m sorry.” Gabby gasped out lifting her hand and reaching out.

“Go to bed Gabby.” Ella said again. “You know the reason I don’t trust him. You have to make up your own mind about Jacob.”

“If you really don’t trust him then why are you so friendly towards him? Are you hoping he will slip up again and prove that you were right?” Gabby muttered feeling herself getting mad all over again.

“Gabby that is enough.” Roman said from the doorway. “The only reason your mother is even speaking to him is because she gives everyone second chances.”

Gabby looked from one parent to the other before walking silently past Roman and up the stairs.

“What do you know?” Ella asked him.

“Nothing except what you tell me. I don’t need to know anything.” He told her moving over to her. He eased down on the sofa and lifted her into his lap and sighing when she automatically snuggled against him.

Ella sighed and looked over at the picture on the screen focusing on the plot of the movie.

“But don’t you think that maybe you should stop watching Finding Nemo?” he asked

He felt Ella glare at him and smiled before kissing the end of her nose.

“Shift over.” He instructed.

She stood up from the sofa and watched as he lay down.

“What do you think you are doing?” she asked him.

“Watching the movie.” He claimed grinning at her.

She eased down next to him and felt him put his arms around her.

“Go see Rachel.” He said quietly.

“Are we back to that.” She groaned. “I thought you wanted to be with me, not push your point of view on to me.”

“I want my wife not to be sad and miss her best friend.” He told her. “And I also want her in bed with me not watching a movie that I know she only watches when she is feeling sad.”

“Roman Harris.” She muttered

“Well are you going to call her or should I just invite her over for lunch tomorrow and not tell you because I’m prepared to be that sneaky.”

“Stop it.” Ella gasped out pulling away from him.

He pulled her back and they struggled for a moment before he let her go. She swung her legs off the sofa and stood up.

“You know maybe I should let everyone know I’m such an idiot that people can walk all over my feelings and I’ll just forgive them.” she shouted at him, one hand pressed on her stomach as she felt a roll of pain go over her. Stress, she thought, stress made them worse.

“Ella you know that isn’t what this is about.” Roman said keeping his tone of voice even. He looked over at her and sighed. “I won’t mention anymore. Come on lay down.” He told her.

She shook her head and moved out of the room.

“Well run out on me in two rooms.” He grouched and stood up. He walked over to the tv and switched off the film putting it away in its case and back on the shelf. Walking through to the kitchen he saw the discarded remains of the hot chocolate and set about tidying the kitchen. He turned and looked over in the doorway seeing Ella.

“El.” He said softly.

“I can’t forgive her.” she told him. “Don’t push me on this issue because you’ll lose.”

“Is that a veiled threat?” he found himself asking.

“Oh for god’s sake.” Ella exclaimed. “Why does everything have to be so difficult with you? “

“Ella you are the one who keeps leaving. Not me. Stop punishing me for whatever crimes I’ve done.” He stated coldly.

“What am I supposed to be punishing you about?” Ella asked folding her arms across herself and looking at him.

“Well lets see I didn’t see you at the book signing so you called the wedding off.” He pointed out.

“What do you expect? I was hurt and angry and I was so disappointed in you.” She hissed at him.

“I’m not the hero you keep calling me Ella.” He said finally.

“Why?” She shot back at him.

“Because a hero wouldn’t have been scared of you.” He told her after a long silence.

“Scared of me?” she asked him.

Roman looked over at her.

“You have my heart Ella. Always did.” He murmured softly his voice full of passion. “And at any time you can pack your bags and leave. So yes, I’m a coward when it comes to you. I’m scared that you will realise that you really don’t want to be with me.”

Ella shook her head and turned away from him.

“First I punish you and then I’m supposed to be torturing you?” she asked him. “How could you love someone so twisted?”

“Ella.” Roman called as she began to walk away from him.

“No Roman. We’re done. You can take your heart back I don’t want it. I managed ten years without you I’ll manage the rest of my life.” Ella told him. “I don’t want to be part of a relationship that is so sick.”

“Ella.” He called her name again.

She turned back and looked at him.

“No Roman.” She told him again. “I wasn’t punishing you by saying the wedding was off I was hurt and I needed to heal. I thought you were giving me the space to do that but you weren’t were you? You were biding your time until you could get round me and make me do what you wanted. I hurt and you were just waiting. “ She said softly. “I thought you had changed and were allowing me the space to be myself but no, you were lying to me. And worse than that you think I’m such a twisted person I would do that to you deliberately.”

“You know what Ella, just do what you want.” He stated and moved past her and up the stairs. He went into their bedroom and groaned before throwing open the window and letting the rose scented air into the room. He breathed it in remembering only the smell of her perfume as they kissed for the first time, a mixture of her natural scent and the rose scented shower gel she used. He thought back to the way she had looked so shocked at the intensity of their kiss. He was experienced and yet that one kiss shook him to the core. He turned back to the bed and lay down sighing as he inhaled her perfume from the pillow next to him. He closed his eyes and slowly slipped into sleep.

Chapter 23

Ella sat on the veranda looking out at the night sky. She watched as the full moon rose through scattered clouds until it was above her in-between a shower of sparkling silver stars. Sighing she stood and moved through the quiet house towards their bedroom. Pausing at the door she pushed it open and stepped inside.

“El.” He said although he was still asleep.

She sighed again and walked over to the bed climbing into her side. She felt him immediately roll over towards her and bit back the giggle that threatened to escape.

“El love you.” He said mumbling the words as he put his arm around her trapping her against him.

“Roman Harris.” Ella said grumpily.

He sighed, his hot breath ruffling the hair at the back of her neck.

“Will you get off me you octopus armed creep.” She muttered.

“Well that is original.” He said coming awake. “What time is it?”

“Time you moved to your side of the bed.” Ella hissed at him.

“Are we still arguing?” he asked softly. “Because I’m pretty sure I told you to do what you wanted and here you are. In bed with me.”

Ella groaned.

“I came to bed because I didn’t want the children to get upset until I’ve decided where I’m going to live.” She insisted.

“Ok then.” Roman agreed with her.

“So you can take your possessive arm off me.”

Roman chuckled.

“I’m not being possessive I’m being protective.” He stated.

Ella scoffed and bit her lip to stop herself from giggling.

“And what are you protecting me from?” she muttered.

“That big spider over there.” he murmured.

Ella screamed and vaulted up into a sitting position.

“Where?” she asked and heard his laughter. “Oh you!” she gasped out. “That is so not funny.”

Roman moved and switched on the light and looked at her. He smiled slowly before leaning forward and kissing her.

“I love you Ella.” He told her.

She muttered something and hit him on his arm.

“Sorry? I didn’t quite catch that.” He said quietly.

“I said I hate you.” Ella muttered her arms folded across herself.

“Ok then.” He smiled at her once more and settled back on the pillows before snapping out the light.

“Wait.” Ella said quickly.

“There are no spiders,” he told her softly.

“You don’t know that you opened the window.”

“And if there were they would now be deaf.” He pointed out.

“Roman just check ok.” Ella muttered prodding him in the ribs.

“Ouch.” He muttered and sat up again. He switched on the light and climbed out of bed looking around the room. “Ok, room checked.” He smiled over at her.

“En suite.” She pointed out.

He muttered something under his breath as he went to check the bathroom coming out after a minute.

“All clear.” He told her.

“Ok, now you are up could you go get me a glass of water?” Ella asked him in a sweet tone of voice.

He looked over at her and groaned.

“That was a ruse to go get you a drink wasn’t it?” he asked.

Ella looked at him and raised her eyebrows looking innocent.

“Don’t try any funny business.” He told her walking over to the door. He shot one last look in her direction and watched as she smiled before he went out the door and down the stairs. He walked over to the fridge and took out a bottle of cold water and picked out a glass from the cupboard before heading back up the stairs. He expected her to have locked the door or some other trick but found her leaning back against the headboard where he had left her.

“Thank you.” She told him softly holding out her hand for the glass and water. He handed it over to her and she poured out some before offering him the bottle. He smiled taking a drink himself before sitting back in the bed.

“I wasn’t punishing you.” Ella told him quietly.

“Maybe not consciously but you have to admit that it could be interpreted like that.” He smiled at her. “I should have asked earlier about the wedding.”

Ella nodded.

“I’m not planning on leaving you. Even tonight when I thought it was over I still.” She stopped and looked at him.

“Still?” he asked.

“Wanted to be here.” She finished with a shrug. “Not for the kids. Not for any reason except I feel alive here.” She confessed.

“Ella.” He sighed her name.

She lifted her knees up and put her arms around them resting her chin on top of her bent legs sipping from the glass.

“Why do you still want to get married?” she asked him. “I mean we are still married anyway.”

“Because you deserve this day. You deserve to be fussed over and treated like a princess with your dad walking you down the aisle and I want my parents there.” he told her quietly. “I want to see you in your dress and your hundred bridesmaids.”

Ella smiled at him.

“Not quite a hundred.” She said softly.

She felt him chuckling next to her and leaned back against him, feeling his arm automatically go around her.

“Why do you want to get married El?” he asked her.

“Because its important to you.” She replied softly.

“Not for any other reason?” he said quickly.

“No.” she told him.

She looked into his eyes.

“I’m already married to you but if I wasn’t then of course I’d want to make it official, maybe not a big wedding but certainly say those words again. “ she murmured.

Roman chuckled and leaned over and kissed her.

“Do you want to scale the wedding down?” he asked after a moment.

She shook her head immediately.

“My only concern about it is the fact that I’m going to be centre of attention. I never liked that. If I can cope with that then everything else will slot into place.”

“El, I don’t want this to be an ordeal for you it’s supposed to be a magical day.”

“I know.” She told him. “But you need to remember for me being in the spotlight usually meant something bad was going to happen.”

“Oh El.” He gasped.

“Hey, its ok. I’m safe now.” She murmured leaning close to him.

“With me?” he asked quickly. “You still feel safe even after everything that has happened between us?”

Ella nodded before leaning over and kissing him.

“You make the bad stuff go away.” She said quietly.

She placed the glass to one side and moved until she was laying down under the covers and felt him snuggle around her before the light was switched off.

“You should think about seeing Rachel.” He told her. “Just think about it, ok.” he added and kissed her his arms tightening around her.

“You just have to get the last word don’t you?” she asked him unable to hide the grin on her face.

“no.” he replied and then laughed. ”Alright maybe I do.” He conceded. “Love you.”

Chapter 24

Roman ran along the beach grinning as he watched Ella run in front of him.

“I know you are smirking there.” she called out.

“It’s just nice to have someone to run with.” He denied.

Ella turned and looked at him hands on her hips.

“You mean aside from Aden and Miles and then Georgie and also Mike.” she pointed out the other men that occasionally went running with him.

Roman stepped forward and leaned down to kiss her.

“Yeah but they don’t let me do that.” He said softly.

Ella chuckled.

“Come on Mister, another half an hour then we are at the gym.”

“El, is this part of you getting your life back?” he asked seriously.

“Maybe. I just feel the need to get fit again.” She said with a shrug and leaned down to retie her shoelace before stretching and beginning the run again.

He looked at her before sprinting to keep up with her.

“Leona said you were talking to her about helping out with the cleaning.” He said quietly.

“That’s what you wanted wasn’t it.” Ella muttered sucking in oxygen.

“Yes.” He agreed.

Ella nodded and turned heading for the gym. She upped her pace and pushed herself a little bit feeling the hot air rushing into her lungs. Roman groaned and sprinted after her wondering why she was making this a race.

“Ella.” He called when they reached the side of the building that housed the gym and Noah’s bar.

She spun around and looked at him.

“Yes?” she said calmly.

“Why won’t you talk to me?” he found himself asking. “Yes, I want you to get some help in the house but only to free up your time. “

“I hear those words but it feels like I’m not good enough to cope with the house and the kids. Get a cleaner, get a nanny, do this, do that.” Ella burst out.

“Oh for god sake Ella.” Roman gasped out.

“What? I’m talking to you, are you planning on dismissing my feelings like everything else?”

He looked up at the blue sky above him before looking back at her.

“that is not what I’m doing.” He denied. “Ella I think you are amazing. But this is not the Ella I married and I don’t want you to be unhappy.”

She gave him a long look before walking into the gym and moving over to one of the exercise bikes.

“El.” He called following behind.

“I’m busy.” She muttered setting up the bike and beginning to use it.

He gave her a look before heading over to one of the weights machines.

“Hey.” Tony called out walking into the gym. He spotted Ella and stopped before casting a startled look behind him.

Rachel walked in behind Tony unaware that he’d stopped dead and bumped straight into him.

“Tony, what..” she started to ask before spotting Ella. “Oh.” She added her voice in a small round ‘o’ shape.

“Hello Rachel.” Roman greeted the other woman before looking over at Ella. “Hey Tony.” He added.

“How you doing mate?” Tony asked him.

“Good.” Roman supplied.

“Saw your Georgie at footie training the other week. He’s pretty good.” Tony commented.

“Thinking of taking up coaching again?” Raman asked him with a grin.

“Nah, too old now.” Tony said with a grimace.

“Know that one.” Roman said with a laugh.

Ella stood and looked at the two men before heading towards the bar. She walked past Rachel without saying a word causing Roman to cast a concerned look in her direction.

“Sorry Rachel.” He said softly.

“It’s ok.” she murmured and walked over to the weights machine and began stretching before sitting on there and using it.

Roman stood slowly and moved to the bar. He saw Ella sitting with a bottle of water in front of her and sat next to her.

“Shut up.” She muttered.

“I didn’t say anything.” He protested.

“You don’t have to the expression on your face is enough. You know Roman, living with you right now makes me feel like a complete failure.” She said slowly.

“Ella.” He muttered.

“For the first few years you were nagging me about cleaning and now you are telling me I’m doing too much.” She sighed. “And when I did my photography, oh well you were supportive but you made it clear that you and the kids came first.”

He groaned.

“Ella I never did that.”

She looked at him.

“You did Roman. I’m sorry but you did.” She murmured. “Oh you were Mr wonderful sometimes but my shoots became less and less frequent as time moved on.”

He sighed feeling like a complete jerk because he knew she had a point. It had been done over a period of time but he had started making excuses for her not to leave them. And then came Francesca and she had more or less stopped her photography by then.

“Ella why didn’t you say anything?” he asked.

“Because we weren’t in a good place and I didn’t want to add any more fuel to the fire.” She said slowly. “It’s not been easy to pick up my camera and I really don’t know if I want to go back to my photography.”

Roman reached for her water and took a drink before he spoke again.

“You have to.” He said. “Not because I’ve given it back to you like it was some gift but because it’s part of you. It was missing for a long time and I never noticed. I’m sorry about that.”

Ella sighed.

“Why are we having this discussion?” he said after a time.

Ella shrugged.

“Maybe it’s the fact that Chris has shown up and reminded me that I refused to change for him but all I’ve done is change and compromise with you.”

“Ella.” He gasped out. “Has it really been so bad?” he asked her.

She shook her head.

“No of course not. And I’m not saying that you haven’t done your fair share of compromising too. Kids, cats, rabbits, the whole thing.”

He looked at her.

“I’m happy.” He told her. “I love our life. I’m only trying to change it so that you have more time.”

“But don’t you want anything else?” she asked him.

“No.” he replied immediately. “I’m so grateful that you are back and we are in love again. I just want to get married and have a wonderful honeymoon that lasts for about twenty years.”

Ella looked at him and sighed.

“Twenty years? Have you told Sammy about this plan?”

“You think he might protest?” Roman asked grinning at her.

“Without Daddy to make his nightmares go away? I think so.” She said softly.

Roman put his arm around her and leaned over and kissed her.

“Rachel is there.” he said to her. “Why don’t you start with Hello?” he suggested.

“Stop pushing me Roman. I’m getting fed up with it.” she told him pulling away from him.

“Ella, I was the one who was arrested and beaten up.” He pointed out.

“And I was the one who’s kids were taken away. No-one is ever going to do that to me again.” She told him, thinking of Gabby in that instant and the situation surrounding her birth.

“And what about when you took my kids away from me?” he asked before he could stop himself.

Ella gave him a scathing look before standing up and walking away from him. He watched her go without saying anything.

“Hey Ella.” Nic called walking over to her.

Ella spun around and gave Nic a slow smile.

“Thought Gabby did all the school runs.” Nic said with a grin.

“Are you implying that I’m not a good mother.” Ella snapped spinning back around and looking over at the wrought iron gates.

“El.” Nic said puzzled.

“Sorry Nic, just got stuff going through my head.” Ella said after a pause.

“Dare I ask how the wedding is coming along?” she said with a grin.

Ella smiled slowly.

“I have my dress, the bridesmaid dresses. Your Dad needs to start his guest list.” She muttered looking out for the kids.

“So that leaves what? Your list, the venue, reception, invitations, food, drinks, pre-wedding do’s.” Nic rattled off a list.

“And everything else. I wish your dad didn’t want this blasted wedding.” Ella groaned. “It’s worse than when you got married.”

Nic chuckled.

“Worth it though?” she asked.

Ella shrugged.

“I think your Dad will be happy.” She said softly.

“Not you El?” Nic asked stepping forward and looking at her face carefully.

Ella sighed.

“I don’t want it. Not being fussed over and dealing with everyone.” She said slowly. “But well I really love my dress.”

Nic grinned.

“I noticed.” She said softly. “Angel is psyched to be a bridesmaid.”

Ella chuckled.

“Like I was going to chose anyone else?” she said to the other woman. “Sophie would have killed me.”

“I like how you got a dress for Mira and Lily too.”

Ella laughed.

“I’ve also seen a little suit for William.” She confessed.

“And you aren’t into this whole wedding thing.” Nic scoffed. “Here they come.” She added pointed at the kids walking towards them.

“Sophie and Angel holding hands again.” Nic said.

Ella nodded.

“I think they got them mixed up in the hospital and they are the twins.” Ella replied.

“Georgie is ok with them isn’t he? Not jealous or anything?” Nic asked quickly.

Ella smiled hooking her arm though Nic’s.

“Yeah, he is fine. Sophie loves him and nothing will ever change that. But she’s a girlie girl and he’s into his footie and running and his army stuff.” Ella explained.

“How’s Dad taking Georgie’s interest in the army?” she asked.

Ella shrugged.

“Better than me.” She acknowledged.

“Hey Mummy.” Sophie greeted her.

“Hello.” Ella said softly kissing her daughter and then Angel. “The others coming?”

“Are we going to the diner tonight?” Sophie asked.

Ella shook her head.

“Not tonight. I need homework done and your chores please. And you and Gabby have to clean out the shower at the stable.” Ella pointed out.

Sophie nodded.

“Angel wanted to come over this weekend and ride Princess.” Sophie said slowly. “Can she?”

Nic looked at her daughter and smiled.

“Sorry.” Ella said. “We only have Princess insured so you and Gabby can ride her.” Ella invented quickly and saw the look of relief cross Angel’s face, knowing the other girl didn’t share Sophie’s love of riding.

“Why don’t you come over to ours on Sunday?” Nic suggested to Sophie.

“I have to do my chores.” Sophie muttered.

Ella gave her a smile.

“I think you can do them and still go over.” Ella told her daughter. “But we’ll have a think about it, eh?”

Sophie gave a slow nod and moved over to stand next to Ella looking back toward the school.

Nic smiled at Angel and watched as Robbie and Sammy walked over to them.

“Hello.” Ella greeted them.

“Hey mum.” Sammy murmured.

“How’s my babe?” she asked him.

“Good. Meggy got told off today.” He blurted.

“Sams.” Sophie groaned rolling her eyes.

“Why was that?” Ella asked them.

“Because she was talking about the wedding and the new teacher accused her of being a chatterbox.” Sophie told her.

“I’ll leave you to it.” Nic said giving her a smile. “Give me a call about the weekend.”

Ella nodded and then watched as Nic led her children away.

“Right.” She murmured and walked towards the school gate.

“Mummy.” Sophie called out.

“Come on.” She instructed them.

They followed her as she moved towards the school office.

“Hello.” She called out after stepping into the cool air-conditioned office.

“Hello Mrs Harris.” The school receptionist called out. “You must be here to collect Georgie.”

Ella looked at her two children before giving a slow nod. She followed the receptionist to the headmasters office and saw both Meggy and Georgie sitting on seats outside.

“Someone want to tell me what is going on?” she asked them softly.

Georgie stood up and looked at her.

“Mum.” He said quickly and cast a frantic look over at the headmaster’s door.

“Yeah that’s me. Now talk.” She said.

“Mummy.” Meggy called out and ran over to her and started crying again.

Ella automatically put her arms around Meggy and gave her a cuddle.

“Ah, Mrs Harris. We were about to call you.” The headmaster, Stuart Thompson came out of his office.

“I’m sure you were.” Ella supplied. “Now do you intend to tell me why two of my children were kept behind and I was left waiting outside?”

“Mum.” Georgie said quickly.

Ella gave him a look and then looked back over at the headmaster.

“You’re daughter was reprimanded today. Which caused your son to attack my teacher.” He said to her.

“Attack?” she asked quickly. “As in physically?”

“I kicked him.” Georgie said proudly. “And I will do it again.” He added with a glare at the headmaster. “No-one calls my sister names.”

“Georgie please be quiet.” Ella asked him. “What was said to you Meggy?”

Meggy looked up at her mother, her blue eyes seeming huge in her face.

“He called me a chatterbox. But I’m not. And then he said that I wasn’t very bright.” She murmured. “Because I didn’t understand when not to talk.”

“He?” Ella questioned.

“We have a new teacher.” Sammy told her. “He’s called Mr Smith.”

Ella nodded.

“Sounds as though he deserved the kick.” She said and earned a smile off her son.

“Mrs Harris.” The headmaster protested.

“My daughter doesn’t lie.” Ella told him. “And if you have a teacher going around saying that his pupils aren’t very bright then they deserve what they get in response. Come on kids we are going home.”

“Mrs Harris, I’m afraid that this matter isn’t settled.”

“Too right. I’m going to put in a complaint about this person’s treatment of my daughter.” She snapped and led the children out.

“Way to go Mum.” Georgie said once they were in the car.

“Uh huh George Joseph Harris. We will be having words this weekend.” She cautioned. She drove them home and watched as they piled out of the car and inside each of them vying to tell Roman the story.

“Hey.” He called out to her above the noise of the kids.

“Hey.” Ella said. “Homework.” She instructed and watched the almost comical display of disappointment on their faces.

Roman chuckled before moving over to her and placing a kiss on her lips.

“Hello.” He said quietly. “Are we ok?”

She looked at him and gave a slow nod before feeling his arm go around her waist pulling her towards him.

“Are you sure because that wasn’t much of a kiss. I think I need another one.” He said grinning as she cast a frantic look at the grinning children.

“Roman.” She gasped out before his lips descended on hers once more. She melted against him the heat of the kiss causing her insides to turn to mush. Her hands clutched at him and she felt her knees go weak. His tongue slipped between her lips and teased hers in an erotic dance before she felt his hands slide under her top and around her back pulling her into hard contact with his body.

“Now that is a better kiss.” He commented slowly.

Ella nodded incapable of speech.

“I might need a few more of them later.” He said a light in his eyes.

Ella looked at him and shook her head.

“Sorry I think I only had the one in stock.” She said to him and moved slowly away wriggling her hips as she walked into the kitchen.

“Daddy.” Meggy said grinning at him.

“Homework.” He called out and walked into the kitchen. “The babies are upstairs.” He told Ella.

She nodded.

“So if you want a lay down or go do something I’ve got dinner sorted.” Roman pointed out.

“No I’m fine cooking.” She muttered.

“You could go for a swim.” He suggested.

“Roman for god’s sake stop it.” Ella snapped at him.

She took a look at him and spun on her heel walking over to the stairs and up them. He watched her go and shook his head before opening the fridge and taking out the ingredients for their dinner.

Chapter 25

Ella looked over at Roman as he sat on the bed pealing his clothes off.

“Roman.” She murmured.

He turned and looked at her.

“Yes?” he said sounding cautious.

Ella sighed and climbed into the bed.

“Nothing.” She said softly laying down and clicking out the light.

He sighed and lay down next to her.

“Light on or off?” he asked.

“Off.” She said slowly.

He nodded and switched out the light lying with his back to her.

She looked at him in the dark and waited a few heartbeats to see if he was going to turn towards her like he normally did. She found herself biting her lip as it began to tremble. Taking a deep breath she turned to him and slid her hands around his waist.

“I’m not in the mood El.” He said quietly.

“Not even for me to hold you.” She found herself asking.

“Not really.” He said with a sigh.

“Ok.” she said and pulled her hands away.

She moved to her side of the bed and bit her lip again fighting back the urge to cry.

Roman knew that she was upset but nothing could make him turn and take her in his arms. He’d spent months trying to arrange things so she would have more time for herself and she’d just reacted like an angry cat and thrown it all back at him. Worse, she hadn’t stopped snapping at him. Maybe he was going overboard, but the way she was reacting you’d have thought that he was suggesting they give up the kids and retire to Tahiti. He found his eyes closing and his breathing even out as he relaxed into sleep. It wasn’t an easy sleep he knew he was missing having her in his arms and he was struck by how lonely he felt.

Ella waited another few heartbeats listening to the sound of his breathing before she climbed carefully out of the bed.

“Where going?” he asked rolling over.

She paused and looked over at his profile sighing when she realised he was still asleep.

“Just to the shop for some popcorn.” She told him biting her lip to stifle her giggles.

“Get me some jalapenoes.” He told her.

Ella continued to look at him her hand covering her mouth.

“Do you want anything else?” she asked after a minute.

“Nope.” he murmured still asleep.

He moved suddenly in the bed putting his head on her pillow and grabbing hold of her. He dragged her back to the bed.

“Roman honey.” She said quietly.

“Where were you going?” he asked coming awake.

“Just to get a drink.” She told him truthfully.

“Are we fighting?” he murmured.

“No.” Ella told him looking into his eyes.

He sighed.

“Why?” She asked him.

“Feels like we are fighting.” He said slowly.

Ella groaned.

“That could have something to do with you..” she stopped and felt his lips touch the side of her neck. “Roman I’m trying to be serious here.”

“I know but I needed to stop you talking. That seems to get us into trouble.”

Ella giggled and then gasped as he lifted her into the bed on top of him.

“Roman,”

“I know you think I’m being dominating.” He said slowly.

She looked at him and then down at his body underneath her and raised an eyebrow.

“About the cleaning and stuff.” He explained. “But I just want us to get back to how we were when Nic got married.”

“Maybe too much has happened for us to be those people again.” She told him quietly.

“But how will we know unless we try. And this wedding it’s not supposed to be stressful. We love each other don’t we?” he asked her.

Ella nodded and looked into his eyes.

“Then it should be more about that than anything else.”

“Roman.” She sighed his name before leaning forward and kissing him.

“You’ve hurt me.” He told her.

Ella gasped and fell against him feeling his arms wrap tight around her.

“I didn’t mean too. It’s just that the wedding is all anyone can talk about and you are pushing me to change. I thought we were happy.”

“We are El, but look at all you’ve gone through and all you’ve given up to be here. I want you to be the happy confident person that came back into my life all those years ago.”

“Maybe I can’t go back to that.” Ella said fretfully.

“Is this the same person who came to get me in the police station?” he said with a smile. “You are so beautiful and strong and brave. I love you please don’t doubt that but I want you to have everything. And I do not for one minute think you are a failure El, You do so much stuff it makes me feel guilty for not doing more.”

Ella sighed once more.

“But that is the way it feels to me. I can’t explain it.”

“Maybe that’s because of the way your mother was.” He suggested quietly.

Ella groaned.

“Why does everything come back to that?” she muttered feeling suddenly defensive.

.”Because its part of you. Never being able to satisfy her. Being punished over and over again. Yeah, you got out of that situation by leaving but its still there and still a part of you.” He told her.

“Roman.” She moaned feeling her throat clog with tears.

“Ella I’m not saying that is the reason, I’m the last person to talk about past trauma and its affects.” He told her gently. “Just think about it ok. And think about help in the house. Ask me to do more stuff if you don’t want to get a cleaner or a nanny.”

“I can’t.” she muttered. “I have a routine.”

“Yes you can.” He insisted. “I’m your husband you can come to me.”

Ella looked at him.

“Ella.” He called her name softly. “Please let me help more.”

She looked up into his eyes before kissing him.

“I’ll try.” She murmured finally.

Roman chuckled and kissed her.

“That’s all I ask, ok.” he murmured.

She lay her head on his shoulder and snuggled against him feeling his arms wrapping tight around her and holding her. She thought back to all their time together throughout the years and the way they would lie like this, curled up together even if they argued.

“El.” He whispered.

“Yeah?” she asked softly.

“I think I’m in the mood now.”

Ella giggled.

“For a minute I thought you were going to ask where your jalapenos were.” She murmured and felt him laugh.

“Picking on me when I’m half asleep again?” he said and rolled them over until she was underneath him.

“Don’t you dare start tickling me.” She muttered feeling his hands run down her side.

“Well were you mocking me?” he asked leaning down and kissing her.

“You were the one talking in your sleep.” Ella said grinning.

“Uh huh.” He grinned kissing her again. He felt her hands run down his back and he moaned.

“Are we going to make love?” he asked.

Ella sighed and kissed him gently.

“I think so.” She told him.

He smiled and kissed her some more loving the feel of her hands on him, There was no way to describe how her touch felt. She would be gentle one loving and demanding the next and each time felt new and special. He loved the way her fingers trailed across his skin and the magical way she found all those little places that made him shiver with delight. He loved the touch of her lips on him, the erotic graze of her teeth as she kissed him and the gentle lap of her tongue as she tasted him.

“I love you.” He found himself saying thinking only of her. Of how she looked when he loved her, of how she felt and tasted and moved and sighed.

“Love you.” She said her luscious lips tracing the column of his neck.

“Ella.” He said moaning.

“Do you want me to stop?” she asked breathlessly.

“God no.” he muttered quickly and heard her laughter.

“Morning.” Roman said softly moving into the kitchen behind her.

“Hello Sleepy.” Ella said with a grin.

“Can’t think why I was tired.” He muttered reaching for the coffee.

“Me either.” Ella moved over to him and put her arms around his waist leaning up for his kiss.

He pressed his lips to hers.

“Morning.” He said again.

“We have to go see the headmaster this morning to discuss your son’s propensity for violence.” Ella told him taking the cup from his hand and sipping at his coffee.

Roman frowned and took his cup back.

“How come he’s suddenly my son? Didn’t you tell me he was Aden’s?”

“Thanks Dad I’m so not going to have nightmares about that one.” Georgie muttered from the dining room.

Ella giggled before prodding Roman in the ribs.

“Your Dad is joking.” She told Georgie. “You are so his son. Unfortunately.”

“Hey!” Georgie muttered walking into the kitchen.

Ella opened her arms.

“Come here.” She told him.

“Can they suspend me?” he asked worriedly.

“Not if your mother has anything to do with it.” Roman told him. “And anyway if they do we’ll go to the Education board and appeal.” Roman said slowly.

Ella nodded.

“You know you were wrong to kick him though because…”

“Violence doesn’t solve anything.” Georgie finished for her.

“That’s right.” Roman said.

He looked at his dad.

“What he said to Meggy was wrong though Dad.” Georgie murmured. “I just lost my temper.”

“That’s because you have your mothers temper.” Roman said and earned another glare off her. “Hey, remember when Mike annoyed you and you fetched him home from boarding school?”

Ella nodded.

“What’s that?” Georgie asked.

Ella looked at Roman and smiled before sitting at the table next to Georgie. She told him about how they went and dragged Mike back from school and as punishment for what he’d done Roman had put a tent in the garden.

“That’s cool. I wish we could go camping more. I really enjoyed it when we went to the Lake District.”

“There you are Roman.” Ella said softly. “Take your son camping.”

He smiled and moved over to sit next to his son.

“What did you like about it?” he asked him softly.

He felt Ella place her hand on his knee, and he put his on top entwining their fingers.

“Well cooking on a fire was cool. And sleeping outside.” Georgie told him. “And Mum told us stories at night around the fire.”

Roman smiled slowly feeling a little left out.

“Yeah, she told us about you and Jacko and about when she moved to Summer Bay.” He told his dad.

He looked at Ella and saw her smile at her son.

“Time to get the others down for breakfast. Give them a call for me?” she asked him.

Georgie sprang up and moved into the hallway.

“So you talked about me?” he asked her softly.

Ella nodded.

“I wanted to think about the good stuff.” She explained quietly. “And I wanted them to know that it was ok for them to talk about you.”

“Still took you a long time to come home.” He said with a groan.

“Yes.” She acknowledged looking over at William in his playpen.

“Don’t do it again.” Roman told her as he stood up. He placed a kiss on the top of her head smiling as Lily blew a kiss at him.

“Roman.” Ella said his name quietly.

“It’s ok. I understand.” He told her. “I’m sorry I threw that comment at you especially all the times you’ve made sure that I’ve had the kids when we’ve been struggling.”

She stood up and moved over to him feeling his arms wrap around her as he held her.

“No I was wrong to leave like I did but.” She stopped as Meggy and Sammy moved into the room.

“Hey.” Roman greeted his children.

“Do I have to go to school?” Meggy asked quickly.

“Tough kiddo.” Ella said to her. “You know how important school is.”

She looked down at her feet before moving over to the table and sitting next to Lily in her highchair. Looking over at her baby sister she smiled slowly.

“Make the most of it baby before they put you in nursery.” Meggy muttered. “And then they make you read and then its school for like forever.”

Roman laughed at his daughter.

“Don’t encourage her.” Ella said to him.

“Morning.” Sophie muttered flouncing into the room from outside.

“Princess ok?” Sammy asked her.

She nodded.

“Mum.” Sophie began.

“Here we go.” Ella said easing away from Roman and sitting at the table.

“Why don’t you want Angel to ride my horse.” She muttered looking at the table top.

“Because she doesn’t like horses.” Ella told her softly. “And she doesn’t want to hurt your feelings.”

Sophie looked up at her.

“But she’s been riding with me before.” Sophie gasped out.

“I know sweetie but she doesn’t like horses. She did it because you are her best friend and she didn’t want to upset you. Sophie, all you talk about is horses and riding and how you and Gabby are doing the gymkhana.”

Sophie muttered something before looking at her mother.

“Really?” she asked.

Ella smiled at her.

“It’s ok just try not to be so pushy. Maybe Angel will go riding with you again someday.” Ella smiled at her before reaching out and putting her favourite museli in front of her. Roman watched as Sophie tipped some into her bowl and added milk.

“Can I go see her this weekend?” Sophie asked.

“I think so.” Ella said quietly. “And maybe Robbie can come over and help Sammy with his rabbit.”

“Cool Mum.” Sammy said around a mouthful of toast.

Roman chuckled.

“What time do we need to go to the school?” he asked her.

“Is that about me?” Meggy said fearfully.

“It’s ok Megs its because of me.” Georgie told his sister.

She looked at them and frowned.

“I don’t want you to get into trouble.” She murmured.

“It’s ok Meggy.” Ella said quietly. “Eat your breakfast.”

Meggy looked at her plate.

“I’m not hungry. I have a tummy ache.”

“Try eating something Megs.” Roman told her gently.

“I have to get dressed.” Ella announced. “I want plates cleaned and the table cleared when I come back down.”

She moved out of the room and up the stairs.

“Daddy.” Meggy said quietly.

“It’s ok Meggy, Mummy won’t let anything happen to Georgie.” He told his daughter. “I think we are doing something this weekend.”

“What?” Sammy asked spilling jam down his white shirt.

“Samson.” Georgie grinned at his brother and pointed at the red stain on his shirt.

“Whoops.” He said with a grin.

“Go get changed.” Roman told him.

Sammy nodded and finished off the last bite of his toast before moving out the room.

Sophie stood up and took her dish into the kitchen and placing it on the side.

“Are you finished?” she asked Meggy as she came back to clear the rest of the table.

Meggy nodded and pushed her plate away. She gave Sophie a quick smile as she cleared the pots off the table carrying them through to the kitchen.

“Ready?” Ella asked coming into the lounge. “Where’s Sammy hiding now?”

“I’m here Mummy.” Sammy muttered running in behind her.

She turned and looked at her son before bending down and redoing the buttons on his shirt.

“Have we washed hands and brushed teeth?” Roman asked them watching as the kids sprinted out of the room again, including Sammy.

“The Jam fought back.” He told her in explanation for the stained shirt Sammy had left on a chair.

Ella grinned.

“I’ll drop them off.” She said softly. “Then Leona is going to babysit when we see the headmaster at 10.”

Roman nodded.

She smiled over at him.

“Could you put the laundry on?” she asked biting her lip.

Roman chuckled and held out his hand to her.

“Ask me like that and I think we can guarantee you have a slave for life.” He told her kissing her again.

“Behave.” She said with a smile.

“I suppose we’ll be off camping this weekend?” he asked her.

“You could ask Aden and Geoff.” She pointed out.

Roman chuckled.

“So that will be Robbie and Sammy and Tyler?” he asked her.

Ella shrugged.

“Up to you.” She murmured smiling at him.

“Which leaves you girls to do girlie stuff.” He said.

Ella chuckled.

“You know in the comfort of a house with a bed.”

“A big double bed.” Ella pointed out.

Roman groaned.

“Come on kids.” Ella called out moving to the door.

“I’ll get you back.” Roman promised.

“I’ll look forward to it.” she said winking at him as she moved out the door the children following slowly.

Chapter 26

Ella looked over at the headmaster and heard his haughtily spoken apology. She felt Roman reach out and take hold of her hand and she smiled at him.

“It appears that a comment was said to Megan. Our teacher is a substitute and new to the position.” Mr Thompson murmured.

“I know a comment was said to her. As sensitive as our daughter is she would not be upset without a reason. We are here to discuss the action of our son.” Ella began.

“Yes well, he kicked Mr Smith.”

Ella nodded.

“We are aware of that and as proud as we are of him sticking up for his sister he is fully aware that violence doesn’t solve anything.” She said and saw Roman nod agreement.

“I have looked at his file and he is an exemplary student.”

“We know.” Roman said and earned a look of love of Ella. She gave his hand a squeeze and smiled at him before looking back at the headmaster.

“Have you thought of extra curricular activities for him? We have a maths club for example. They have a team that take part in tournaments.”

“I’m sure that is worthwhile but Georgie isn’t interested in Maths. He prefers English. He is already reading at an adult standard.” Roman said slowly. “Sammy likes Math. He likes algebra and figuring out puzzles.”

Ella sighed and squeezed his hand again. He looked over at her and saw a strange expression on her face. She caught his eye and smiled at him.

“Which brings us to Megan.” Stuart murmured.

“And what about Meggy?” Ella asked back shortening her daughters name a note entering her voice.

Roman squeezed her hand and smiled at her.

“She is struggling with the work that is set for her.” the headmaster told them. “I would think about testing her for a learning disability.”

Ella nodded slowly.

“You know I would but she doesn’t have one.” Ella muttered. “She gets A’s and B’s.”

“In certain subjects.” He confirmed. “Not consistently. For example she’s never had deviated away from a C for math. Her strongest scores are in History.”

Ella gave a small nod and waited for the next part of the statement feeling herself tense.

“It seems that she struggles most when she has to read for an assignment and also when she has to read aloud in class."

“Are you saying our daughter can’t read?” Roman asked quickly before Ella could.

“Not at all. I’m merely pointing out that there may be a reason for this.”

“I’m sure this is well intentioned but why has it taken you so long before you brought this to our attention? And I believe that we were here to talk about Georgie.” Ella snapped out.

Roman looked at her and gave her a small reassuring smile.

“It was brought to our attention with this situation.” The headmaster said softly.

“You mean your over zealous temporary teacher brought it up in order to look good and make up for the fact that he screwed up and insulted my daughter.” Ella snapped out.

She ignored Roman knowing that he would be smirking at her loss of temper.

“Not at all.” The headmaster denied. “But…” he began.

“Lets get back to Georgie.” Roman said quickly overriding both of them.

Ella gave him a glare and received a smile in response.

“Three days suspension.” Stuart Thompson snapped out. “I won’t accept violence in my school.”

Ella nodded.

“Fine. We’ll be going to the Education Board to discuss this.”

“They will reinforce my decision.” He bit out.

Ella met his gaze and maintained eye contact until he looked away.

“One, your teacher is new and inexperienced so he will not want this on his record. Two, you want to use our children to improve the standing of your school in maths tournaments etc. Three, my daughter was insulted and traumatised by this new teacher. Four, we have a right to a complaint.” Ella rattled off a list continuing to look at the headmaster. “Five, my son will receive a fair and just punishment for his actions, adding a suspension to that will affect his academic record and will ultimately affect his performance.”

Roman gave a small hiccuping laugh before covering his mouth with his hand. He waited to see if Ella was going to add anything else before he began to speak.

“There is always the option of withdrawing him from school and sending him to the same boarding school as Mike.” he said softly.

Ella turned and looked at him wondering where he was going with that comment.

“Sammy too.” Roman added. “And off course that would mean also Sophie and Meggy. And then quite probably Robbie, Tyler and Angel.”

“I can’t imagine the education board being happy with so many children being withdrawn at the same time.” Ella said slowly catching on to what her brilliant husband was aiming for.

“Mr and Mrs Harris.” The headmaster stuttered their names.

“Yes Mr Thompson?” Ella asked innocently.

“What punishment did you have in mind?” he asked them.

“To start with an apology to the teacher, Mr Smith.” Ella began. “Then we would look at grounding and extra chores around the house.”

“I think that would be acceptable.” He finally said looking at both of them. “Perhaps we can discuss Meggy at some point.” He suggested referring to her by the shortened name that her parents had used..

“Of course,” Roman said. “She speed reads.” He pointed out. “That’s why she struggles to read aloud and she prefers to do other things besides school work. Maths is not her favourite subject so she doesn’t bother half the time.”

“We had her tested for a learning disability when Elaine was in charge of her class.” Ella told the headmaster carefully.

“That is not on her records.”

Ella looked at Roman and saw him give a nod of encouragement.

“Because we did it privately. We were concerned by her lack of achievement.” Ella said softly.

She looked at Roman and stood up smiling as he did likewise putting his arm around her.

“We should let Georgie know that he hasn’t been suspended.” She murmured softly.

Roman nodded.

“I’m sure that the message will get to him.” he said with a look at Stuart Thompson.

“No worries.” The headmaster confirmed.

Roman looked at Ella before he held out his hand to the other man. They shook briefly before he guided Ella out and to the car. He held open the door for her and got behind the wheel of the car and drove them home.

Ella smiled over at him and placed her hand on his knee.

“Shocked you?” he asked.

“Made me very proud.” She murmured. “I don’t’ know why I should be shocked. You are a wonderful father, of course you should know what our kids are like.”

He gave her a grin before looking back at the road.

“We’re good parents.” He told her gently. “I missed so many things with Nic, I never took enough attention of her when she first moved in with me. Made me determined that I was going to listen with our kids. Mike is struggling a bit.”

“With being out of the army and back in university?” Ella asked softly.

“Yeah.” Roman muttered pulling into their drive.

“I thought he might. How can you help him?” Ella murmured turning and looking at his profile.

“I don’t know. I ended up travelling around Australia.” He confessed.

He parked the car and their eyes met before Ella unsnapped her seatbelt and leaned over to kiss him.

“El.” He whispered.

“It’s ok. “ she told him and reached for his hand. She pressed a kiss to his palm and rested it against her cheek. “Mike.” she murmured focusing his attention back on their son.

“All I can suggest is getting him talking to someone.” He murmured with a shrug. “Helped me when I made friends with Miles.”

“Maybe encourage him to see more of Brett?” she asked remembering how Mike and Aden’s son, Brett used to hang around together during school holidays.

Ella smiled at him before climbing out of the car. She walked into the house, Roman following behind.

“Hey how did you get on?” Leona asked walking in from the kitchen.

“Ok, Georgie won’t be suspended.” Roman grinned.

“Dada.” Lily called out.

“What’s that Lily girl?” he asked moving through to the lounge.

Lily looked up at him from her seat on the floor next to William and Millie.

“Baby.” She said pointing to Millie.

“Really?” Ella asked sitting next to her daughter.

“Millie.” Lily explained and grinned as Leona’s daughter clapped her hands at the mention of her name.

“Wow my daughter is clever. Are you sharing your toys with her?”

Lily nodded and blew her mother a kiss before turning back to Millie.

“Lily and Millie.” Leona murmured.

“Not to mention a Billy.” Roman put in. “I guess we were rhyming.”

Ella stood and moved over to Roman’s side.

“Please, your daughter has already decided that William is going to be shortened to Liam.” She said softly. “Sounds like we have friends here. Would you like to leave her for an hour or so and have a little time to yourself?” she asked Leona.

“Hey, aren’t I supposed to be helping you out?” Leona protested looking at them.

“About that.” Ella said biting her lip. “If you wanted the job I could use help cleaning.”

Roman chuckled and put his arm around her before pressing a kiss to the top of her head.

“I would. And I think Millie would love to be here too.” She added looking at her daughter.

“We’ll do it properly pay tax and everything.” Ella told her.

“Great. Means I can start paying Miles rent.” Leona said quickly and then blushed at the knowing look Ella gave her.

Leona knelt down next to her daughter and looked at her.

“Do you want to stay here and play?” she asked.

“Millie stay.” Lily said quickly.

Roman and Ella laughed.

“Lily.” Millie murmured carefully pronouncing the new word.

Leona stood and gathered her handbag before moving to the door. She gave a nervous look back at her daughter before stepping outside and going to her car.

“Lily you watching the baby’s then?” Ella asked.

“Me big girl now.” Lily said pointing at herself.

Roman grinned and guided Ella to the sofa pulling her down beside him.

“My brave Ella.” He said softly.

She looked at him.

“I’m proud of my husband.” She said quietly. “When exactly did you discover Georgie was so into his books?”

“When he borrowed my Sassoon book you told him about.” Roman murmured with a grin. “We talked about stuff. I think we have another one going in the army.” He added and stiffened beside her at the mention of the army.

“I know.” She confirmed placing her hand on his knee and stroking his leg.

“And don’t think I haven’t noticed the amount of books I now have thanks to you.” Roman said softly. “And well.” He stopped and leaned over and kissed her. “William Wordsworth.” He added and looked over at his son.

Ella took a breath and looked at him.

“Ok.” she admitted. “I was by Blea Tarn when I felt him kick for the first time inside me.” She said slowly. “The poet used to go swimming there. I must have projected his name when I gave birth.” She mentioned a place in the Lake District that she had escaped to during their split.

Roman smiled at her.

“When you told me that you weren’t thinking of anything when you named him, well it struck me that it wasn’t like you. I thought for a long time that it was because of the circumstances surrounding his birth but then I got to thinking about us and where you went. Made sense after that.”

Ella gave a small sigh and lifted her feet up beside her. She curled up in his arms smiling as Lily moved over to her and handed her a teddy bear.

“Mama sleep.” She asked her.

“Maybe.” Ella said and ignored Roman smiling at her.

“Lily and babies sleep.” She pronounced and moved over to the other two and pulled blankets up to them. She lay down on the quilt that had been spread on the floor for them and put a blanket on herself. William looked at her before lying down too.

“You’ve trained them.” Roman said in a fierce whisper.

Ella gave him a glare before she yawned.

“El.” He said quietly.

“Yeah?” she asked her eyes closing.

“Love you.” He told her.

“Me you.” She mumbled.

He gave a soft chuckle watching as she drifted to sleep.

Chapter 27

“You know I thought the whole idea of camping was to, I don’t know, not do it in the back garden.” Mike muttered.

“Getting soft Private Addison? Longing for a comfy bed?” Roman asked him grinning at the flush of colour on his face.

“No army references.” Mike bit out before sighing.

“Ouh I think he’s turned all girlie.” Brett said quickly.

“You need to think yourself lucky Brett.” Mike said glaring at him.

“I’m very lucky.” Brett told him before Mike could finish his sentence. “I dated Danni.”

Mike narrowed his eyes before Sammy moved over to stand next to him.

“Are you mad Mike?” he asked simply. “We don’t have to go camping if you don’t want.”

“No Samson I’m ok.” Mike said quickly.

Brett walked over to him and patted him on his shoulder.

“We’re just teasing him a little Sammy.” Brett told the youngster. “Now then you, Georgie, Tyler and Robbie are in our tent.”

“That leaves us with Roman.” Aden muttered before grinning at his son.

“Yeah he snores.” Geoff added.

“And talks in his sleep.” Ella said coming out with a tray of drinks.

“Have you all finished?” Roman said folding his arms across his chest and glaring at them.

“Oh there is so much more I could tell them Roman Harris.” Ella said to him smiling sweetly at him.

“Wife get back in the house and bring us food.” Roman growled at her.

“Very funny.” Ella said softly. “I can see you won’t be needing this beer.”

She hooked his bottle out of his hand and moved away from him hearing his roar of indignation. He began to run after her, narrowing his eyes when he saw her unexpectedly run towards the orchard through the back. He sprinted after her not noticing her sudden swerve until the last minute towards the swimming pool. He watched as she put her free hand on the top of the gate that separated the pool from the rest of the garden, and served as childproofing, using the leverage to vault over the top. From the distance he heard cat calls from the kids and a wolf whistle from Mike before he too vaulted over the top of the gate.

“Give it up Ella Harris, I’m so going to catch you.” He muttered forcing himself not to laugh.

She dodged to the left and he went after her an expression of puzzlement on his face before he noticed that she was swerving close to the edge of the pool. He ran faster not realising just how much she had slowed down until he could hear her soft laughter.

“Roman no.” she squealed.

He looked puzzled just for a split second before deciding to push forward and grab her. Ella threw a look over her shoulder catching his expression and bit her lip to stop herself grinning at him.

He lunged forward his hands outstretched and gasped when she crouched down and he grabbed nothing but air. He over balanced and found himself falling forward.

Ella spun around then and used her free leg to sweep his out from under him. She grabbed at his shirt controlling his movement downwards and pushing at him until he started to fall backwards. She let go at the last minute and ignored his flailing hands as he tried to reach out for anything to stop his fall. She watched as he splashed satisfactorily into the cool depths of water not caring when it soaked her.

“I got you.” She shouted out gleefully.

Roman sank under the water like a dead weight before surfacing and looking at her from the middle of the pool.

“Ella Harris.” He spluttered looking around and seeing cheering kids round the edge of the pool looking at him.

She sat by the edge of the pool and lifted his beer bottle to her lips and took a drink.

He looked at her before wiping water from his face and swimming over to her.

“Give me a hand?” he asked her.

Ella chuckled.

“You think I’m going to fall for that one.” She murmured.

He smiled and placed his palms flat on the side of the pool and hoisted himself out of the water before sitting next to her. She handed him his beer and he took a drink.

“You know I’m going to get you back don’t you?” he said and heard jeers from the kids.

Ella smiled at him.

“Oh yes.” She answered him. “But I got you. For the first time ever I dunked you. I don’t really care what you do to me now because I’ll have this moment forever.”

Roman chuckled and leaned forward to kiss her before standing up. He peeled off his wet T-shirt and wrung it out watching as the droplets of water splashed into the pool.

”Mummy that was awesome.” Sammy murmured coming over to her.

“Thank you Samson.” She said to him leaning over and giving him a hug before she stood up.

Roman smiled at her and they walked up to the house together.

“I think we are going to finish putting the tents up.” Geoff murmured to Aden.

“Yeah, someone needs a shower.” Aden replied with a smirk.

Roman turned and gave them both a glare before heading into the house. He stopped in the laundry and pulled out a towel from the stack kept in there before closing the door and stripping off his wet things. He left them on top on the washer and wrapped the towel around his waist before moving up the stairs.

Belle looked over at Ella.

“He’s been working out.” she commented before taking a sip of wine.

“Belle Jefferies.” Ella gasped out shocked.

“Like I’m not allowed to look.”

“Ok, new ground rule, if you are going to perv can you please not perv on my dad.” Nic said walking across the room to stand next to Belle.

“I think that Ella may kill you too.” Nic added.

Ella glared at them all before taking out the wine and topping up glasses.

“Maybe.” She confirmed. “Now then we need to think about food. “

“And soak up this alcohol?” Nic asked looking at the white Chardonnay in her glass.

“That might be good idea.” Belle said.

Nic grinned.

“Ok but no pizza.” She murmured and saw Ella frown at her.

“Chinese?” Ella asked.

Belle nodded and looked at Nic.

“I can go with Chinese.” Nic murmured.

“Better go see what the boys want?” Ella said to them. “There is a menu on the fridge door.”

She turned and walked up the stairs to their bedroom walking in through the door. Roman kicked it shut and grabbed her around the waist.

“About time.” he grumbled lifted her on to the bed.

“My god, you are sex mad.” She groaned out laughing.

He pinned her down on the bed and kissed her pulling at her clothes.

“Roman.” She gasped out torn between laughing and moaning.

“Shut up.” He growled pushing up her top and rubbing her breasts.

“Wait stop. I don’t like this.” She muttered pulling back.

“I don’t care. You said I could do what I wanted so I’m doing it.” he muttered biting her neck.

Ella moaned and pushed at his chest.

“Stop Roman.” She cried out.

He chuckled against her neck before kissing her mouth.

“Now you need to go downstairs explaining why you have a lovebite on your neck and your clothes are all ruffled.” He said pulling away from her with a smug smile on his face.

“You complete….” She bit out smacking at his chest and arms.

He eased away from her and moved off the bed.

“I came to ask what you wanted from the chinese.” She said tugging at her skirt

He grinned and moved over to the chest of drawers pulling out clean clothes He dressed quickly and looked over at her.

“Did I scare you?” he asked after a minute.

“A little.” She replied honestly.

He held out his hand and she ran over to him feeling his arms go around her.

“El.” He said softly.

“I’m ok.” she smiled at him.

He nodded and leaned down to kiss her again.

“It was just when you said you didn’t care.” She found herself telling him.

“You know that’s not true.” He grimaced.

“Yeah, but.” She began. “It just got a bit.” She stopped again and shrugged before pressing another kiss to his lips and easing away from him. She moved to the door and opened it heading along the corridor to Danni’s room. She knocked softly on the door and opened it.

“Hey.” She murmured.

“Hey El.” Amy-belle greeted her.

“Mum.” Danni began looking over at Gabby. The two hadn’t really spoken since their argument the other day.

“We’re going to order Chinese take out.” Ella told them.

“I’m sure camping out doesn’t involve take away.” Gabby said her voice sounding brittle despite her trying to sound humorous.

Ella looked over at her daughter and tried not to feel hurt.

“Anyway, do you want to come chose what you want?” she asked them.

Danni nodded and hooked her arm through Amy-Belle’s to lead her down the stairs. Gabby following behind.

Ella watched them go from the doorway before turning and seeing that Roman was watching her.

“Still not sorted out?” he asked.

Ella shook her head.

“I don’t know what I have to do. I hate Chris for coming back.” She said folding her arms around herself.

Roman moved over to her and took hold of her hand leading her down the stairs. He gave her hand a little squeeze before moving out the back and going out to the boys.

Ella moved over to the girls and saw they had written down what they wanted to order.

“Just need to put what you want.” Nic told her. “Although by the looks of that lovebite you’ve already had it.”

“He was quick.” Belle added and earned a reproachful glare off Nic.

“You two.” Ella said self-consciously putting her hand to her neck.

Nic giggled and took a sip of her wine.

“Belle I don’t even want to know what that was a reference to.” Danni told her giving her a push.

Belle collapsed on the sofa giggling.

“Like you don’t know Danni about to marry Mike.” she said.

Danni blushed and cast a look at Ella.

“I’m pretending that nothing is going on.” Ella said to her.

“Your good at that.” Gabby said bitterly.

Ella heard an in-drawn breath and looked around at the shocked faces of the others.

“No Gabby, I don’t want to spend time with your boyfriend. No Gabby, I don’t particularly want you to date him. No Gabby, I am not bitter because Chris hurt me. I left him knowing that I wasn’t in love with him. You go do what you have to do.” Ella stated clearly.

She moved into the kitchen and out to the back.

“Have you decided what food you want?” she called out.

Mike walked over and handed her a piece of paper with their list on.

“Hey are you ok?” he asked.

Ella nodded.

“I’m fine. Are you guys bonding?” she murmured pinning a smile on her face.

Mike grinned.

“Yes.” He confessed before moving back to the group.

Ella smiled and looked up to see Roman watching her. She gave him a grin and turned back towards the house hearing Mike teasing Roman about the lovebite on her neck.

“Mummy.” Sophie called running up to her.

“Hello.” Ella said hugging her. “Did they tell you we are ordering Chinese food?”

Sophie nodded.

“We told Danni what we want.” She murmured.

Ella grinned and picked up the phone walking into the lounge. She collected the lists and scanned them before ringing and placing the order and giving her card details and address to the woman at the end of the line.

Meggy chuckled as the order was read out.

“I bet they’ve never had one so big.” She said innocently.

Nic choked on her wine before groaning as Belle slapped her on the back.

“Behave.” Ella murmured grinning. “No my sweets, I don’t think I’ve placed an order for so much food.” She enunciated clearly.

Nic nodded, slightly more composed.

“Is it ok for us to go back up stairs?” Sophie said.

“Course it is. We’ll call you down when the food gets here.” Ella murmured. She watched as Meggy, Sophie and Angel ran out of the room. “Same goes for you guys.” She added to Danni and Amy-Belle. Gabby nodded and stood up quickly. They moved out of the room.

“So what was that with Gabby?” Nic asked when they were alone.

“Oh she’s dating Chris’ son.” Ella announced reaching for her glass.

“That must be a bit awkward.” Belle said quietly.

“My only concern is that I don’t really know why Chris came to the Bay. I can’t get over feeling that he is after something. Chris never does anything that is not ultimately for his own benefit.”

Nic smiled slowly.

“You think he’s put his son up to it?” she asked.

“I don’t think so but just in case I want Gabby to be cautious.” Ella said.

“You don’t object to her seeing him?” Nic asked.

“No.” Ella shook her head. “I don’t care who my kids see just so long as they are happy and ok.” she confessed slowly.

“Sounds as though you need to tell Gabby that.” Belle told her.

Ella chuckled.

“And you think I haven’t tried. All she hears is that I have doubts about him and refuses to listen after that.”

Nic grimaced.

“Remembering something Nicole?” Belle asked slyly.

“One or two things.” Nic admitted. “I ran away to stay with Elliot.” she confessed to Ella.

“Elliot?”

“Before he turned psycho and tried to kill us.” She said slowly.

Ella groaned.

“Great!” she muttered. “I’m now adding a proviso to my happy and ok bit.”

“Not mental?” Belle asked and grinned as Ella nodded.

“Thanks guys.” Nic said with a groan.

Chapter 28

Roman eased silently out of his sleeping bag and crawled out of the tent. He resisted the urge to laugh as he saw Geoff rolling over and snuggling up to Aden as he got out. He looked over at the silent other tent before stepping confidently to the trellis. He’d spent an good hour making sure it was securely fastened to the house after it collapsed the last time he did this. He began climbing up the white painted trellis avoiding the roses still in flower and of course the thorns. Reaching his bedroom window he grinned as he eased it quietly open and climbed inside. He avoided the dresser and landed on the soft carpet. Grinning some more, he made his way to the bed and crawled in beside Ella.

“Couldn’t handle one night in a tent?” she mocked softly coming awake.

“Wasn’t that.” He denied. “It was being away from you.”

Ella sighed and turned towards him.

“Anyway who were you expecting Miss Naked and wearing perfume?” he said quickly taking in the sensual aroma of his favourite perfume on her.

“That would be you.” She told him with a soft giggle.

His body immediately reacted to the womanly part of her and he leaned forward and kissed her.

She wound her arms around his neck and drew him closer moulding her naked body against.

“I’m going to explode if you keep that up.” He growled against the side of her neck.

“I want you to.” She moaned low and husky and heard him laugh.

Aden pushed Geoff’s arm off him coming awake. He moved out of the tent and saw Roman climbing in through the window and chuckled. Dragging on his shoes he waited a few minutes before he started climbing. Belle was sleeping in Danni’s room, which was just the next window along. If Roman could climb it so could he. He was struck by the memories of climbing in her bedroom window so many times before and smiled remembering how it felt to hold her in his arms even before they began a relationship. Cursing silently as he stabbed himself with a thorn he continued his slow progress up the trellis. He saw that the window was ajar and grinned some more.

Climbing into the room he crashed into the tall dresser and swore before moving over to the bed. He saw her lying there and frowned that she could be so deep asleep with his moving around. Lying next to her on the bed her leaned forward and kissed her.

“What the hell?” Nic gasped out.

“Nic.” Aden moaned although a part of his brain should have recognised that it wasn’t Belle he suddenly thought.

Nic tugged her arms free of the covers and pushed at his chest and at the same time she kicked him.

Aden flailed in the bed looking for something to stop his fall that wasn’t part of Nicole and gasped when he felt himself falling backwards and onto the floor.

“Oh god are you ok?” Nic asked.

Aden lifted up his hand and raised his thumb before pushing the cover that had fallen over his head to one side.

“I think you better give me that.” Nic said quickly.

“Why.” He asked. “Oh!” he added as he realised that she was naked underneath it.

He kept his eyes averted and handed over the cover to her.

Nic chuckled and wrapped it around her before putting on the bedside light.

“Belle is next door.” She told him.

“Thanks.” Aden said standing up. “Oh er..”

“Don’t worry I am not going to tell anyone.” Nic promised.

“Thanks.” He mumbled again.

He walked over to the window and began to climb out of it.

“Er Aden, the door.” Nic said and pointed.

Looking out he saw that he would have to climb along a narrow ledge to get to where Belle was sleeping and sighed before spinning around and headed to the door.

“Did you hear that?” Ella said.

Roman looked at her and raised an eyebrow.

“No.” he said when she refused to focus back on what they were doing.

“It was a bang. I think you should check it out.” Ella told him giving him a little push.

”I didn’t hear anything.” He denied and moved back to stroking her thigh.

“Roman. Go check.” She said and pushed him again.

He stood reluctantly and moved to the door groaning when Ella threw his shorts at him.

“Ok.” he said as he pulled them on.

He moved out the door and saw Aden standing in the doorway of Danni’s room.

“Who is in Danni’s room?” he asked Ella.

“Nic why?” she murmured and saw him stride out of the room without answering.

“Aden.” He said softly.

“Roman it’s not what it looks like. Yes I was with Nic and she is naked but I didn’t do anything.” He gabbled quickly.

Roman nodded.

“I’ll just add this to things I’m supposed to forget, shall I?” he asked.

“Screw that, just add it to the things you never tell Belle.” Aden replied before his brain started working.

Roman gave a soft chuckle and looked over at Nic standing behind him.

“Wrong window.” She explained before closing the door and heading back to bed.

“And what was that banging we heard?” Roman asked quietly.

“There was no banging.” Aden bit out. “I only kissed her.” he added and groaned.

Roman laughed and pushed Aden towards Belle’s door.

“Goodnight.” He told him before heading back to Ella. He looked and saw she had fallen asleep and he muttered something before stripping off and climbing next to her.

“You could at least have stay awake long enough for me to get back.” He told her.

Chapter 29

“Morning.” Ella greeted Roman as he walked in through the back door.

“Morning.” He said with heavy emphasis.

She handed him a cup of coffee and smiled innocently.

“Don’t you dare give me that look. You could have stayed awake for another five minutes.” He grouched.

Ella tilted her head to one side.

“Five minutes?” she questioned.

Roman looked at her and nodded slowly.

“Phew, so glad I didn’t, wouldn’t have been worth the effort.” She murmured and then laughed at the outraged expression on his face.

Roman glared at her and moved in closer to her. He leaned forward and whispered.

“Lets see how long you last sweetheart.”

She gave him another innocent look and grinned.

“Is that a dare?” she asked.

“It’s whatever you want it to be.” He told her and moved to the table picking items to eat from the selection she had put out before taking his loaded plate over to the sofa and sitting down to eat.

“Daddy.” Sammy murmured sitting next to his dad.

“Yes?” he murmured smiling at his son.

“That was good.”

“Want to do it for real?” Roman asked softly.

Sammy shook his head quickly and looked over at his Mum.

“With Mummy.” Roman grinned at him. “And the baby’s.”

Sammy nodded slowly but still bit his lip worriedly. Roman watched him before leaning in close and whispering.

“What’s the matter?” he asked softly.

“I don’t think Lily will like camping. She doesn’t like spiders.” Sammy confessed.

“Well we can look after her.” Roman told his son.

Sammy looked over at his sister standing in the playpen next to William and sighed.

“What’s up Samson?” Ella asked her son walking into the lounge and hearing his plaintive sigh.

He put his plate down on the coffee table and sprinted up and over to her.

“I don’t want to go camping.” He said and began crying.

Ella knelt down and hugged him.

“Tough.” She said quietly. “Because we might go camping again someday. All of us.”

He looked at her and sniffed.

“No.” Sammy said through his tears.

“Sorry kiddo its not open for discussion.” She said to him.

“I won’t go.” He said stubbornly.

“Ok then we’ll leave you behind.” Ella said to him earning a frown from Roman.

“No.” Sammy cried out.

“What’s it to be Samson? Either you had fun last night and when you were with me in the Lake District or you didn’t?” Ella asked gently.

“Mummy.” He murmured.

“I’m not leaving Daddy.” She said to him. “And Lily and William are ok. “

“But you did leave again.” He cried out.

He pulled away from her and wiped at his eyes.

“When Sammy?” Roman asked his son moving until he was kneeling next to him.

“Last month.”

“Was that when I went to the studio?” Ella asked him.

Sammy nodded.

“But I didn’t leave Sammy I only went to spend some time there. That’s why Daddy made the studio nice for me and made those extra bedrooms so we can all stay there.”

Sammy looked at her before looking at Roman.

“That’s right Samson.” Roman told him quietly.

“But you went and made her come home.”

Ella leaned forward and kissed her son’s cheek.

“He went there so we could have lots of kisses and cuddles.” She told him softly.

“And make babies?” Sammy said.

Roman laughed and looked at a blushing Ella.

“Not quite.” He said after a moment.

Ella looked at her son before looking at Roman.

“Maybe.” She said quietly.

“Maybe?” Roman asked her realising what she’d said.

“Maybe.” Ella confirmed.

“Are you sure? I mean of course you aren’t sure but could you be?” he stuttered.

Ella grinned at him.

“Maybe.” She said again her tone of voice softer.

“I thought we’d agreed not to.” He said sounding shocked.

Sammy looked at them both.

“Are you having a baby Mummy?” he asked excitedly.

Ella turned to him.

“I don’t know Sammy. Mummy and Daddy aren’t really trying.” She leaned forward and whispered in his ear. “But maybe.”

Roman grinned and reached out to her pulling her into his lap. He caught sight of Sammy grinning at him and he leaned over and kissed Ella delicately on her lips, sighing when he felt her hand reach up and caress his cheek.

“We so need to talk.” He said to her.

She looked down and raised her eyebrows as she grinned. He followed her gaze and chuckled.

“Ok I’m a little broody.” He admitted.

Ella placed her hand on top of his which was pressed on her flat stomach.

“It’s not certain. We aren’t trying. We aren’t going to try. Just ..” she stopped and looked into his eyes.

“Maybe.” He finished.

“So you won’t be disappointed if it’s not positive because we aren’t trying. We’ve got enough wonderful children.” Ella said to him.

Roman nodded and looked down.

“Maybe.” He said again.

Ella giggled and kissed him.

“Mummy.” Sophie called. “Is this breakfast for us?”

Ella nodded.

“I know something you don’t know.” Sammy called out.

Roman glared at his son.

“Sammy.” he said.

“Oh everyone is going to find out. You know he can’t keep a secret.” Ella told Roman quietly.

“Can too.” Sammy said pouting.

“Not.” Ella told her son.

“Can.” He replied.

“Bet you can’t keep this one.” She shot back.

“So can.” He said and then glared at her realising what he’d said. “No fair Mummy.” He groaned.

“Love you babes.” Ella told him dragging him to her for a squirming hug.

“Ella Harris I have new respect for your sneakiness.” Roman whispered in her ear.

“I have no idea what you are talking about.” Sophie said moving to the table.

Ella eased up kissing Sammy on the top of his head.

“Eat your breakfast babes.” She told him.

“Can I get some more?” he asked looking over at the table.

“Would you like some porridge?” Roman asked him.

Sammy gave him a look before sitting back on the sofa and finishing his breakfast.

“Hey Grandpa.” Angel called out walking into the room.

“Breakfast is on the table.” Roman told her standing up and collecting his plate.

She moved over to stand next to Sophie at the dining table.

“Wow Ella has cooked a lot.” She murmured.

Sophie nodded.

“I think she’s cooked for everyone.”

“Did someone say breakfast?” Mike asked walking in. “Oh good.” He added heading to the table.

Ella smiled and handed him a cup of coffee.

“Thanks Mum.” He said.

“Feeling better?” she asked him.

Mike gave her a quizzical look before going over to her and hugging her.

“Yup.” He said softly.

“Good.” She told him.

“Was it your idea to have Brett over? We talked a fair bit last night.”

Ella pointed over to Roman.

“He just told me that making friends with Miles helped him.” she said with a shrug. “Because you know your dad had similar issues.”

Mike nodded.

“Thanks to both of you.” Mike murmured.

“Is that breakfast?” Brett called out walking into the room.

“And lunch by the looks of it.” Aden said walking in behind them.

“Where are the girls?” Mike asked.

“They’ll be down soon I imagine.” Ella said reaching for her drink of orange juice. She caught Roman watching her carefully and smiled at him seeing his grin in response.

Chapter 30

“Ok.” murmured Roman as he came out of the kitchen after clearing away the last of the pots from the breakfast slash brunch..

Ella watched him as he moved to sit next to her. She moved William to her other side and grinned.

“Yesterday was good.” He said referring to the camping. “Are the kids sorted for school? Do you need me to do anything?”

Ella nodded.

“I did the clean uniforms on Friday.” She told him referring to the habit of making sure they had a weeks’ worth of uniforms ready, cleaned and ironed. “I said Sophie could go be with Angel this afternoon.” She told him.

“Gabby taking her over?” he asked.

Ella nodded.

“I think Nic wants to talk to Gabby, you know do the big sister bit.”

Roman groaned.

“I have no idea whether that is a good thing or a bad thing.”

“Roman Harris.” Ella said with a groan.

She stood and lifted William with her placing him on his feet on the floor. He looked up at his mother and gurgled before lifting his left foot and putting it forward. He did the same with his right grinning as Roman looked at him with pride.

“Come here my son.” He said to him holding out his hands.

“Do you want to walk Liam?” Ella asked him.

William looked up at her and gurgled.

She eased her hands away slowly letting him walk his first steps alone. He tottered on his feet unsure of his balance and then stepped forward first one step and then two until he reached his dad. Roman caught him a moment before he was about to fall backwards on to his padded bottom.

“Well done.” He said proudly lifting him up and cuddling him, before grinning as William squirmed in his arms wanting to go back down and try again.

“Lily has a lot to answer for.” He said softly.

“Lily is teaching him to speak too.” Ella told her husband.

“When will you know?” he asked quickly looking at her.

“In another few weeks.” She said knowing what he was asking.

“Do you think you are?” he phrased the question carefully.

“I thought I was last time.” Ella shrugged.

“That does not answer the question wife.” He told her and placed William back to the floor watching as he scooted off crawling towards his playpen.

She moved to the playpen and lifted out some toys for her son smiling at him as he reached for his ring tower. He scooped of the rings and began putting them back on.

Roman moved to sit with her on the floor as she played with her son.

“Do you want another one?” she asked carefully.

Roman looked at William and then her.

“Yes and no.” he said softy.

Ella looked at him and raised her eyebrow.

He grinned at her facial expression and leaned forward and kissed her.

“Yes because you are beautiful and an amazing mother and no because I want you to have time for yourself. I never told you this but sitting on the floor and playing with our children like this was something I never imagined I would do. I thought I would leave this bit to you but having this, being able to have these wonderful memories is amazing and I will love you forever for making me a Dad.”

Ella looked at him and blinked back tears before putting her arms around him and kissing him.

“I love you.” She told him her voice full of passion.

He smiled over at her and put his arm around her.

“Good.” He said sounding smug.

“Mama.” Lily called walking into the room ahead of Mike and Danni.

“Hello sweets.” Ella called out grinning as he littlest girl ran towards her. “Did you have a good time?”

“Mike made me ice cream.” She said clearly.

“So your brother is spoiling you.” Roman told her.

“No spoil I is good.” Lily told him pointing to herself.

“We’re going for a swim. Do the kids want to come with us?” Danni asked.

“They might do.” It was Roman who spoke. “But don’t you want to spend time together?”

Danni looked at Mike and smiled.

“We have a long time together to do that.” Mike murmured taking hold of Danni’s hand. “And I’ve missed being a brother for too long.”

Ella smiled at him softly.

“Go ask them then.” She instructed.

“Me swim too.” Lily declared.

“No you stay with Daddy.” Roman murmured. “Daddy and Liam.”

Lily looked at Mike and Danni before looking at Liam.

“Ok.” she said moving over to her brother and sitting next to him on the floor.

Mike chuckled and moved into the hallway to use the intercom. Within minutes a rush of kids started running down the stairs.

“Thanks Mike.” Georgie said to him.

“You’re Welcome.” Mike told him.

He looked up and saw Sammy walking slowly down the stairs.

“What’s the matter little man?” he asked him.

“Nothing.” Sammy said and moved to the lounge. “Mummy. I’ve got a tummy ache again.” He told her.

Ella looked at him before standing up and moving over to her son. She lifted him up and gave him a hug.

“What’s up?” she asked him. “You were ok this morning.”

“I’m not lying it hurts.” He told her screwing up his face.

“Sammy babes, no-one said you were lying.” Ella told him slowly. “Mike take the others for a swim.” She instructed.

Mike nodded and led Georgie and Meggy out the door with Danni following.

“Ok, I’m off.” Gabby called out a moment later.

“Text me when you want picking up Sophie.” Ella told her daughter.

“Thanks Mum.” She cried out grinning. “Hey Sammy are you ok?” she asked her brother.

“He’s a bit poorly.” Ella answered for him.

Sophie moved over to the door and waited as Gabby held back.

“It’s ok Gabby.” Ella told her. “Off you go.”

Gabby nodded and took hold of Sophie’s hand leading her out to the car.

“Hey Samson.” Roman said standing and walking over to them.

“I think I want to take him to the hospital for a check up.” Ella said.

“It’s only a tummy ache Mummy I’ll be ok.” Sammy said unaware that his face was screwed up in pain.

“I know you will. Here Daddy you have a cuddle while I go and get ready.” She handed Sammy over to him.

“El.” Roman murmured feeling how hot Sammy was.

“I know.” She said softly keeping her worry out of her voice with difficulty. “You stay here with the babies?” she asked him.

Roman nodded slowly.

“Ok.” she turned and ran up the stairs coming down a moment later changed into trousers and a top. She had her handbag with her and she put her phone in it before picking out her car keys.

“Come on Sammy.” She told him. “We’ll grab some ice-cream on the way back.” She said to him and smiling at him like this was nothing out of the ordinary. She took him from Roman’s arms and pressed a kiss to Roman’s cheek. “I’ll text you ok.” she promised him.

He nodded and moved to the door with them watching as she put Sammy in the back and fastened his seatbelt. He watched her handing him Travel Bear and smiled despite himself.

Climbing behind the wheel she set off looking in the rear view mirror as she drove off. Roman was still standing on the veranda watching them until they disappeared from view.

“Ella.” Rachel said quietly walking into the hospital examining room. “Sorry I’ll go see if there is someone else.”

“No Rachel it’s ok.” She told the other woman. “Sammy ahs a poorly tummy. It’s been on and off for a few weeks now. “

Rachel nodded and moved over to the bed.

“Horrible Tummy.” She said and saw Sammy grin before paling again. “I need to look at it Sammy ok?”

He nodded and reached out his hand to his Mum. She took it within her own and smoothed the curls back off his head.

“It’s ok Samson.” She told him.

Rachel smiled at him before lifting up his T-shirt. She pressed gently on his stomach feeling it all over. He whimpered at her touch before crying out when she pressed on his left side.

“It’s ok all done.” Rachel told him. “You were so brave little man.”

He gave her a look before reaching for Travel Bear and holding him close.

“I’m just going outside to talk to Rachel a minute. I won’t be long.” Ella promised him kissing his forehead.

He nodded and watched them walk out of the room.

“Appendicitis?” Ella asked quietly when they were outside his room.

“Yes.” Rachel told her. “We need to operate today.”

“He ate breakfast this morning around half 8.”

Rachel looked at her watch.

“6 hours.” She murmured. “Ok we’ll admit him and set up the operation for tonight.”

“I didn’t give him any medicine.” Ella said.

“We’ll give him some pain relief.” Rachel confirmed. “Ella.” She began to say something else.

Ella shook her head and moved back into the room. She sat on the side of the bed and kissed her son.

“Rachel is going to make your tummy all better.” She promised her son. “But you need to stay here for a bit.”

Sammy nodded.

“So what Pyjamas do you want Daddy to bring you?” she asked him.

“Can I have my Toy story ones?” he asked her.

Ella nodded.

“I’ll tell him. “ she promised.

“Hello there. Do I have Sammy Harris?” a nurse murmured coming into the room with a wheelchair.

“That’s me.” Sammy told her.

“Ok then. I need to take you for a little ride to another room.” she told him.

He nodded and sat up in the bed before crying out.

Ella bit her lip and lifted him up placing him gently in the wheelchair. She handed him travel bear again and walked behind him as he was wheeled away.

She saw him settled in a bed and watched as the nurse took his temperature.

“There all done.” She told him. “Daddy bringing your pyjamas?” she asked the little boy distracting him as she attached a drip to his arm.

“Yes.” He answered. “Ouw.” He added.

“Brave Sammy.” Ella murmured kissing him.

“Mummy I feel sick.” He said looking at her.

The nurse reached across and handed her a bowl watching as she held Sammy up while he threw up into the bowl. She left for a moment and came back with tissues to place by his bed and an antiseptic wipe.

“Thanks.” Ella murmured to her accepting the cooling cloth and wiping Sammy’s face.

“Let me take that. I’ll get you a clean bowl just in case.”

Ella nodded and eased Sammy back in the bed.

“Close your eyes” Ella said softly. “I’ll be back in two minutes I need to move the car and ring Daddy ok. Here is Travel Bear.” She tucked the bear in next to him.

“Tell Daddy to feed my Rabbit.” Sammy said quietly.

“Of course I will.” Ella said moving quietly out of the room.

“I have that bowl for you.”

“I’m just going to tell his father I won’t be long.” Ella explained.

The nurse nodded.

“I’ll sit with him until you come back.” She offered.

“Thanks.” Ella said

She walked over to the elevator and pressed the button her hand shaking as reaction set in.

“Ella.” Rachel called heading towards her.

“What?” she asked folding her hands across her middle.

“Can we talk?” Rachel asked. “Not now but sometime?”

“I don’t think so Rachel.” Ella replied stepping into the elevator as the doors opened.

Rachel looked down at the tiled floor before she nodded slowly.

“They want me to operate.” She explained.

“I wouldn’t want anyone else.” Ella said slowly.

Rachel looked at her and reached out stopping the door from closing. She stepped inside and looked at Ella.

“What are you saying?”

“Rachel you delivered him. I wouldn’t trust anyone else.”

“But what about us?” Rachel asked quickly.

“Oh, we are still not speaking. And I mean it. Seriously. I am not going to let Roman be all snug and say he told me so.” She took a breath and looked at the other woman. “Because it’s true I have been missing my friend.”

Rachel hit the stop button and turned to Ella.

“I’ve missed you too. I’ve felt so guilty.”

“Roman was right, he has hurt me in the past and I was incoherent. But he didn’t hit me.” She said quietly. “You had a right to be suspicious.”

“Yeah but I didn’t know that the police would send in the clowns. Or take your kids.” Rachel paled.

“I know you would let anything happen to my kids. I was just too mad at you to remember that.” Ella said softly.

She took a step towards Rachel at the same time Rachel moved to her and the two women hugged.

“But remember as far as Roman is concerned I’m not speaking to you.”

“Got it.” Rachel said with a laugh.

She pressed the button and the elevator resumed its way downwards.

The doors opened and they stepped out Ella moving outside to her car. She pulled out her phone and speed dialled Roman.

“Yes.” He answered on the first ring.

“It’s appendicitis.” She told him.

“Are they going to operate?” he asked heading up the stairs.

“Yes. He wants his toy story pjs and you to feed his rabbit.” She said climbing behind the wheel of her car.

“Anything else. I’m in his room now.”

Ella grinned.

“I thought you might be. Probably his storybook and pencil case. “

She heard Roman sigh.

“How is he?” he asked a note in his voice.

“Our little man is so brave. He must have been in so much pain the past few weeks and he only had one day off school.”

“I know. Takes after his Mum.” Roman told her. “I’ve got his storybook, crayons, pencil case. The Harry Potter book he was reading. His PJ’s, slippers underwear, dressing gown. I can’t think of anything else.

“Toothbrush.” Ella said.

“Ok. I’ll be with you soon. Are we telling the others?”

“Don’t think so. Let’s not worry them, ok?”

“Love you, kiss my boy for me.” Roman said ending the call. He stuffed his phone in his pocket and gathered up everything putting it in a bag before heading into the bathroom and collecting Sammy’s washbag. He checked the items in it before adding that and his favourite towel to the collecting of stuff and moved out down the stairs. He paused by the babies in the playpen pulling up William’s blanket. He gave them both another look before heading out the back and over to the pool. Mike caught sight of him and walked quickly over.

“Sammy has appendicitis.” Roman told him. “Keep an eye on the babies. Oh and feed the rabbits.”

Mike nodded.

“Want me to tell them?” he asked.

Roman shook his head.

“No we will when we get back later.” Roman murmured.

Mike looked at him.

“Mum knew as soon as he said Tummy ache didn’t she?”

Roman gave the other man a look.

“You need to ask?” he said softly. “I have to go.”

Roman turned and walked round the house to his car. He got behind the wheel and set off.

“Mummy.” Sammy called out.

“I’m here Samson. Daddy is here too.” Ella murmured.

“Hey son.” Roman said moving closer to the bed and taking hold of his hand.

“Is it over? Did you feed my rabbit?” he asked.

Ella grinned.

“Yes sweetie to both questions.” She told him pressing kiss to his head.

“You’ll have a nice scar to show off to everyone.” Roman told his son.

“Like Mummy’s?” he asked.

Ella paled, her first thought was the cut that Gardy had inflicted on her followed by the stab wound and found Roman reached out for her, taking hold of her hand.

“You know where the babies come out.” Sammy added.

“Yeah.” Ella said quietly.

“Something like that.” Roman told him with a grin.

“Where is Meggy?” Sammy asked drowsily.

“They will be here in the morning.” Ella said. “Daddy is going to stay with you tonight.”

“I’m ok.” Sammy said. “He should be home with the babies.”

Roman smiled.

“Mummy is going to be with them.” Roman told his son. “I want to be with my brave boy.”

“S’not brave.” Sammy denied.

Ella stood up and leaned over kissing him.

“You are my wonderful brave Samson and I love you with all my heart. Now no arguing let Daddy stay with you and keep the nightmares away. I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Love you mummy.” Sammy said falling into sleep.

Roman stood and walked out with her.

“Are you ok?” he asked quickly.

Ella nodded rubbing the back of her neck.

“Yeah.” She told him.

He leaned forward and kissed her.

“Thank you.” He said quietly

“For what?” she asked back.

“Letting me be the one to stay with him.” Roman told her.

“He loves you.” Ella told him.

“I know. And so do you.” Roman shot back grinning.

Ella leaned up and kissed him before heading out of the room. He watched her get on the elevator before turning and heading to sit back with his boy.

Archived