A Summer Bay Wedding II

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 11

Roman let out a slow whistle as he saw Ella come out of the bedroom and walk towards them.

“I guess you are finally ready then?” he murmured checking her out. Her hair was pinned up on top of her head with a few of those very sexy curls hanging down. She wore dangley crystal earrings that matched the hot pink dress she was almost wearing. It was chiffon draping over a satin bustier and then a short, really short skirt underneath, again with the floaty material on top, and on her feet he saw a pair of ridiculously high heels. Complete with sexy little ankle straps.

“I believe I am.” She told him in a cool voice.

He nodded before he caught Mike grinning at him.

“Mummy.” Sophie called out from the sofa.

“Yes.”

“Can me and Meggy play dress up for a while?” She asked looking at her dress.

“No.” Ella said. “You know that after you have watched that film it’s straight to bed.” She murmured.

Roman laughed when he saw Sophie pouting.

“Same goes for the boys.” He added quickly.

“Got it, no playing dress up.” Georgie said quickly and then ducked as Sophie threw a cushion at him.

Ella laughed and looked over at Gabby.

“Ready?” she asked softly.

“Why don’t I stay here and ..”

“No.” Ella said hooking her arm through Gabby’s and leading her to the door. “There are two very competent sitters over there.” she gestured to the sofa where they were sitting. “Because I am taking my daughter with me to dinner and showing off how beautiful she looks.”

She picked up her handbag and led them out of the studio and down to the street walking a little way before they got a taxi.

Roman smiled at the protective way Mike had his arm around Danni before his eyes met with Ella’s and he saw her smile. He smiled back and raised his eyebrow in unspoken query. Ella continued to smile at him.

“Where are we going?” Gabby asked softly.

“Just to a local hotel.” Roman replied. “But it’s where we are going afterwards you should be more interested in.”

“Papa Joe’s.” Mike told them with a grin before they pulled up outside the foyer of the hotel.

Ella reached forward and paid the driver before they moved out and into the lobby. Mike and Roman were dressed in nearly identical black suits with black ties and white shirts causing Ella to stop and giggle when she saw them walking together.

“What is it?” Gabby asked her.

“I think they are still in uniform.” She murmured pointing at them.

Gabby giggled and nodded.

“Hey.” Roman said turning and fixing his stare on Ella.

“Yeah, no fair share the joke.” Danni insisted.

“Oh we couldn’t.” Gabby said before looking at Ella again and giggling once more.

Danni smiled.

“Are we going to the bar?” Roman asked and saw Ella nod.

Mike walked in first leading Danni behind him then Ella and Gabby followed by Roman.

“Guard duty.” Gabby whispered.

Ella nodded.

“What are we drinking?” Mike asked leading them to the bar.

“I fancy a mojito.” Ella said and found them looking at her.

“But that is rum.” Mike said slowly.

She nodded.

“I know.”

“Ella it’s not vodka.” Roman pointed out.

“Er, yes I know.” She told them. “I do drink other stuff you know.”

“Beer and Coffee.” Mike said quickly.

“Mike, you heard her, Mojito. And the same for us.” Danni said prodding him.

He grinned and moved to the bar.

“Three Mojito’s please and two Jack’s over ice.” He added the last and saw Roman grinning.

“So you are drinking.” Ella said softly to Danni.

She nodded.

“That thing I was worried about. Well I was wrong.” She murmured.

Mike handed round the drinks, clinking his glass with Roman’s before taking a sip.

“So everything is ok?” Gabby asked her.

Danni nodded.

“I’m disappointed.” Ella told her.

Danni did a double take.

“You are?” she asked quickly.

She nodded.

“Would have been fun watching him with that.” She murmured in a sort of code.

“Well yeah, give us a couple of years.” Danni said catching Mike grinning at her.

“Sometimes I’m glad I will never understand what woman talk about.” Roman murmured and heard Ella laugh. He smiled over at her and then chuckled when she moved next to him and placed her hand in the small of his back. He lent down and kissed her.

“So what is Papa Joe’s?” Gabby asked.

“Just a bar.” Mike grinned. “Oh and my second home.”

“Thanks Mike.” Ella muttered. “Make it seem that I was an unfit mother.”

Mike chuckled and then felt Danni poke him in the ribs.

“Need to watch out for that one. Ella’s been teaching that move to half the Bay.” Roman told him.

“I’ll make a note.” Mike told him.

Roman grinned as he felt Ella glare at him and bent down to kiss the end of her nose.

Ella mock growled back at him.

“Remember I can still drop you on your arse.” She muttered at him.

Danni and Gabby grinned as they watched them.

She paused suddenly mid drink before handing her glass to a surprised Roman and started walking over the other side of the room. He gasped when she was suddenly engulfed into a man’s embrace a look of happiness on her face.

“Oh crap Christopher.” Mike said looking over and watching them.

“That’s Christopher?” Roman asked jealousy. “I expected him to be …” he trailed off and looked at Mike.

“Less like a Greek god?” Mike asked with a chuckle watching as Roman nodded.

“How does Ella meet all these gorgeous men?” Gabby asked before she could stop herself.

“Thanks Gabby.” Roman said dryly looking over at the tall dark haired man.

Danni giggled and moved closer to Mike.

“So come on what is the goss?” she asked him.

“I don’t have any, she was engaged to him and planning the wedding and next thing I knew we were back in Australia.” Mike said with a shrug.

“And I know absolutely nothing.” Roman muttered draining his glass and placing it on the bar behind him. He turned to the barman and gestured for a refill.

“Roman.” Mike murmured giving him a look.

He grinned at Mike.

“S’ok son.” He murmured a dangerous glint in his eye.

“Bloody hell.” Gabby exclaimed. “She’s just kissed him.”

Roman did a double take looking at Ella across the room. He sucked in a deep breath and sipped at his drink.

“Maybe I shouldn’t have said that bit.” Gabby murmured.

Danni laughed.

“She only has to smile at the postman and Roman turns green.” Danni told her sister.

“Keep going girls I’ve already decided that it’s time you both moved out.” Roman said to them.

“That’s ok they can move into my house.” Mike said to him.

Roman gave a small laugh.

“Tell me again why I fetched you out of that cave?” he asked him.

“Er guys I think you should like laugh or something because they are coming over here and if you are growling then Ella will know you’ve gotten jealous.” Danni said to them. “Good point.” She added when they all looked at her. “She’ll know anyway.”

Gabby nodded.

“Hey guys.” Ella murmured. “This is Christopher Smith and you know Mike.”

“Mike?” Chris asked.

“Oh yeah.” Ella said with a giggle Roman had never heard before. “You knew him as Roman.” She said. “He started using his middle name.”

“Hey kid.” Chris said easily holding out his hand. “I knew you were going to be tall but..” he trailed off.

“Chris.” Mike murmured shaking his hand. “Good to see you. Are you back in Aus now?”

“No.” Chris confirmed. “Just a flying visit to see my son.”

“Ok then, This is Gabby.” Ella introduced her. “My long-lost daughter.”

Chris turned and looked at her before looking back at Ella.

“She is the spitting image of you Lizzie.” He said softly. “Nice to meet you Gabby.”

Ella grinned before turning to Danni.

“This one is complicated.” She began and saw Danni narrow her eyes looking at her. “We fostered her first, then adopted her and we so want to keep her we’ve persuaded Mike to marry her.”

Danni laughed.

“No that pretty much sums it up.” She conceded. “Good to meet you Chris. I bet you have lots of embarrassing stories about Mike here that I need to know.”

“Actually I don’t have that many. I was far too selfish a jerk back then.” He murmured giving Ella a look.

She grinned up at him before moving to Roman’s side placing her arm around him.

“And the reason Mike changed his name. This is my husband Roman Harris.” Ella said softly giving Roman a loving look.

“You found him then.” Chris said before holding out his hand.

Roman reached out and shook the other man’s hand feeling iron in his grip and their eyes met for a fraction off a second.

“She did indeed.” Roman said softly smiling at the other man.

“Well it was great to meet you all.” Chris said quietly. “I so can’t believe how tall you are and your hair is short.”

“Woah.” Danni said and looked at Mike. “He’s always had short hair.” She murmured.

Chris chuckled.

“Not always eh, Lizzie.” He said with a look at Ella.

“No he grew it when we were in California.”

“I’d forgotten that bit. I must have blocked the horror out of my mind.” Mike said with a grimace.

“Oh so cool Are there any pictures?” Gabby asked, looking at him her head tilted to one side.

“Of course there are.” Ella said grinning.

“They were pretty much into surfing back then. Both of them had this wild hair thing going on. Hers was going down to her waist.” Chris supplied. “I couldn’t believe it.”

Ella smiled.

“I cut it short when we got back here.” She murmured.

“I remember. She got one of those pixie cuts. I nearly died when she came in with it.” Mike said slowly remembering.

“She looked cute with short hair.” Roman said and could have bit his tongue when he felt Ella’s hand still in the middle of his back.

“Enough about my hair. We should probably check to see if the table is ready.” Ella said slowly.

Mike gave a nod and moved to the restaurant to speak to check.

“That is my cue to leave. It’s been great seeing you Lizzie.” Chris murmured.

Ella reached for her handbag and opened it extracting a business card for her purse. She passed that to Chris.

“Give me a call and we’ll have lunch and catch up.” She said to him ignoring Roman tensing beside her.

“I would like that. “ he said quickly.

He took out his wallet and placed the card inside taking out one of his own and handing that to her before leaning forward and kissing her on the cheek.

“I’ll see you.” He murmured and moved casually away.

Ella kept the smile on her face before turning to Roman.

“When did you see my short hair?” she asked.

“You had it short when..” he began and saw the flash of fire in her gaze.

“Don’t.” she cautioned. ”You mentioned it in context with that pixie cut I had and not from being ill.” She referenced her bout with leukaemia.

“I saw you at a book signing once.” He said quietly.

She nodded and reached for her drink finishing it off and placing the glass on the bar.

“Table is ready.” Mike told them coming back over to them.

“Ok you three go ahead. We’ll join you in a minute.” Ella said giving them a smile.

Roman nodded at Mike’s enquiring gaze and watched as he steered the two girls away.

“I am so mad I could kill you right now.” Ella told him softly. “I only did three signings in Australia. One here and one in Melbourne.” She began.

“It was here.” He confessed cutting her off.

She nodded.

“And you what? Chickened out?” she asked him.

“I saw you with someone and I didn’t want to disrupt your life.” He said slowly.

Ella glared at him.

“With someone?” she asked.

“You kissed him.” he added the detail that had haunted him for months after the event.

“I kiss lots of men.” She murmured very carefully. “It’s the business. Doesn’t mean I’m with them.”

“I know.” He told her.

“Well lets go to dinner.” She said after a minute.

“Ella.” He called her name after she turned away from him.

“Don’t.” she said. “Oh and I am going out with Chris.” She added.

“Ella.” He said again.

She ignored him and walked through to the restaurant not even checking to see if he were following behind.

They sat down at the table with Mike and the girls the waiter coming across and handing out menus.

“Are we having starters?” Mike asked quickly filling the silence.

“I think so.” Ella murmured. “I’m tempted by the tomato and mozzarella combination.” She turned to Gabby. “What about you?” she asked her.

“I don’t know.” She moaned. “It all looks very nice.”

Ella chuckled and turned to Roman.

“Starter?” she asked.

His eyes met with hers over the top of the menu and he nodded slowly.

“I’m going to have the Smoked Salmon Gateau.” He announced.

“That sounds good. Make it two.” Gabby said quickly.

“Can’t decide huh?” Ella grinned at her.

Gabby shook her head.

“I have to be honest here. We never did restaurant dining.“ She murmured referring to her other family. “So this is all like wow.”

Mike laughed.

“We did. All the time. It was a rare treat if we ate at home.” He murmured.

Ella glared at him.

“And then it was mostly pizza and take out.” he added.

“Mike that is enough.” Roman said quickly. “We all know Ella is a lousy cook.”

“Roman Harris.” Ella said quietly.

“You’re already going to kill me later I figure I may as well get my money’s worth out of tonight.” He told her with a smile.

She gave him another look before turning to Danni.

“Have you decided Danni?” she asked her.

“I think Mike and I are going to share the tapas option.” She murmured.

Ella looked down at the menu some more before sighing and closing it.

“Shall we order. Do you want to share some wine?” she asked them.

“What do you recommend?” Mike asked Roman handing over the wine list. “I don’t like anything too dry.”

He grinned and read down the list and pretended that the prices of some of the selection didn’t make him break out in a cold sweat.

“What do you want to drink?” he asked Ella knowing she didn’t like wine.

She shrugged.

“Sparkling water.” She said slowly. “I’m thirsty.”

He smiled at her and gave a small nod before beckoning the waiter over and they each gave their orders before he pointed out the wine selection.

“So Chris.” Mike said. “He hasn’t changed much.”

Ella giggled.

“I know.” She said softly.

Danni gave Mike a smile and kicked him under the table, her smile turning into a smirk as he jumped.

“So when were you engaged to him?” Gabby asked.

Ella looked at her before glancing at Mike.

“Gossip.” She called him.

He shrugged unremorsefully.

“A long time ago. Mike was a kid.” Ella said to Gabby to answer her question. “We lived in California for a year.”

“Wow.” Gabby grinned. “So I might never have known you.”

“When you put it in context like that yeah, we would have been living in America.” Ella murmured thinking about it.

The food arrived and was placed in front of them along with another waiter bringing the wine over. He opened it and poured a little into Roman’s glass, watching as he tasted it before pouring some out for the others. Ella placed her hand over her glass when he moved to her.

“Not for me thank you.” She told him with a smile.

“Is there anything I can get for you?” the waiter asked smiling at her.

“No thanks.” She said indicating her bottle of water.

He nodded and left the wine on the table before leaving.

“Well I’m certainly glad you came home.” Danni said raising her glass in a toast.

“Me too.” Gabby said doing likewise.

Ella gave them a smile and lifted her glass in response.

“Now come on lets see what this very expensive food is like.” Ella said quickly.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 12

Geoff crept comically out of Mira’s room, hearing the little girls’ tired sound giggles. He saw her eyes close again despite the fact she was fighting going to sleep.

“Night Night.” He called softly.

“Night Daddy.” she said snuggling down in her bed with her teddy bear and favourite cuddly toy a stuffed panda. Ella had bought one for each of the girls and Mira never went anywhere without hers.

He waited outside her door for a few minutes listening to her before heading down the stairs. He saw Nic stood ironing by the sofa and he smiled over at her.

“Want me to put these away?” he asked gesturing to a couple piles of clothes.

“Please.” She replied.

He grinned and moved over to her and kissing her before taking the first pile into Angel’s room. He tapped on the door before going in. Angel was sat up in bed reading.

“Do you think Sophie is missing me? Only she hasn’t texted.” Angel asked him quickly.

“I’m sure she is.” He said and spotted the torch on the bedside table and gave his daughter a slow smile. Since Lily had been bitten Angel had kept the torch next to her and would put it on and check the room for spiders in the night.

She nodded watching him put the clothes on hangers before placing them in the pink wardrobe.

“Daddy.” She began in the tone of voice she always used when she wanted something,

“Yes Princess.” He murmured hanging up the last item. He put the rest away in the chest of drawers next to the wardrobe.

“Can I spend next weekend with Sophie?” she asked quickly.

“I don’t think so. Gabby and Sophie are going to a gymkhana.” He told her remember Nic’s mentioning it.

Angel nodded and put her book to one side before snuggling down in the covers.

“Ok.” she said quietly.

“You’ll see her at school though.” Geoff said softly coming to sit next to her.

“Why did we move out?” she muttered frowning at him. “Me and Sophie probably would have shared a room by now.”

“Because we needed to have a lovely house to ourselves and Grandpa and Ella needed to have the house to themselves too.” Geoff explained coming over and sitting next to her on the bed. “And instead of sharing with Sophie and probably Meggy too, you get to have a nice room you decorated yourself.”

She looked at him before rolling over and closing her eyes.

“Night.” She said quickly.

“Night Angel.” Geoff said kissing her before he moved out of the room. He closed the door gently and went over to Nic.

“She still missing Sophie?” Nic asked seeing his expression.

Geoff nodded his eyes serious.

“You’d think that she was Sophie’s twin and not Georgie.” He murmured before picking up the pile of clothes to take to Robbie’s room. “Are you nearly finished?” he asked her.

Nic nodded.

“Last few bits.” She grinned. “I noticed the bottle of wine in the fridge are you planning anything?”

Geoff blushed and looked over at her.

“Just some serious snuggling.” He told her.

Nic smiled at him before leaning over and kissing him.

“In that case I’ll hurry up.” She told him.

He chuckled as he walked the clothes upstairs to Robbie’s room.

“Hey Dad.” He murmured. He was sitting at his desk in his pyjamas drawing in his secret book.

“Robbie.” Geoff greeted him. “Nearly time to be in bed.”

“I know Dad but I want to get this last bit of the story done tonight so I can show Sammy.” he murmured frowning with concentration.

Geoff grinned at him.

“Ok. But lights out at 9.” Geoff warned.

“Daddy.” Robbie murmured.

“Yes?” he asked smiling.

“Well you know this is a secret story.” He murmured.

“I do.”

“I want to show you this bit, ok but you have to swear the secret oath.” He said looking earnestly at his dad.

“Ok then.”

“Raise your hand.” Robbie instructed.

Geoff put down the clothes on the bed and raised his right hand solemnly.

“Repeat after me. Wriggling worms and crawling bugs.”

Geoff schooled his features into a non-smiling expression.

“Wriggling worms and crawling bugs.” He said straight-faced.

“Shall not tickle me to tell.”

Geoff bit his lip.

“Shall not tickle me to tell.” He repeated.

“On pain of Ella’s cooking.” Robbie finished.

“On pain of Ella’s cooking.” Geoff finished grinning.

“Ok.” Robbie told him.

Geoff took a step forward and looked into the book. He saw a picture of Cookie the cat fighting off an army of spiders whilst in the background there was a white tower with what looked like a Princess in it.

“Is that Lily?” he asked.

Robbie nodded proud that his dad recognised it.

“This is very good.” Geoff said.

“Well since you swore the oath I can show you the rest of it. Sammy and I are making this story.” He explained handing over the book to his dad.

Geoff moved over to the bed and turned to the beginning. He saw that extra pages had been stuck in here and there as he began reading. It told the story of a group of children stranded on an island and having to live amongst mystical creatures. There was Sophie and Angel magical twin sisters, Georgie and Tyler were guards in the Prince’s army. Mike was the prince. Meggy was a witch child left there because the nasty hobgoblin was trying to get her. He read about Amy-Belle being a princess and he remembered his own story and grinned. He turned the page and saw a contribution from Sammy starring someone that could only be Elliot and first the Prince Michael and then after a while King Roman battled him and made him leave.

“This is really good.” Geoff said reading through it.

“Really Daddy?” Robbie asked shyly. “It was Ella who thought of it. She said it was a way Sammy could make scary things not so scary.” He confessed.

“No mate this is really good. I take it you are worried that Sammy might be upset about Cookie?” he asked him watching as he nodded.

“I want him to know how brave I think Cookie was.” Robbie said softly.

“We all think Cookie was brave and I’m sure that Sammy will love it.” Geoff said feeling suddenly teary.

“Hey you two.” Nic called form the door.

“We’re doing nothing Mummy. “Robbie burst out with picking up the book and putting it away.

“Ok then.” Nic said with a grin.

She moved over to Robbie and picked him up,

“Time to fly to bed young man.” She told him.

He giggled as Geoff stood up and pulled back the covers.

“There are no spiders are there?” he asked.

“Nope no spiders.” Nic told him.

Geoff made a show of looking around the room in the corners.

“No.” he told him softly.

Robbie nodded.

Nic gave him a kiss before laying him in the bed. She tugged up the sheet and covered him before looking around and making a show of sneaking his favourite bear into the bed. Geoff always pretended that he didn’t see it.

“night.” He said leaning over and kissing his son.

“Night night.” Nic said. She murmured one for Robbie and second secret one for his teddy bear.

Robbie giggled.

“Night night.” He said in response.

Geoff took hold of Nic’s hand and led her out of the room half closing the door. He plugged in the night light in the hallway.

“Now then. What was I going to do?” he asked Nic.

She smiled at him.

“Put the clothes away.” She muttered tongue in cheek having put the rest away herself.

“Come here.” He told her narrowing his eyes.

She gave him a giggle and moved into his arms.

“Do you want a snuggle or an early night?” he asked her.

“The early night.” She said. “I’m very tired.”

He chuckled before lifting her up and carrying her through to their bedroom hearing her giggle.

“Geoff.” She breathed his name as he laid her on the bed.

“Yes my Princess.” He said to her.

“I love you.” She found herself saying.

He paused and looked at her before smiling and leaning down to kiss her.

“I love you.” He told her softly. He eased on to the bed beside her and began to caress her gently whilst pressing soft kisses to her lips. Within a space of time his hands became more insistent stroking down her beautiful body as he eased their clothes off. He felt her touch him in all the places he liked and a few that made him moan with pleasure before stilling her hands and moving to join his body with hers. They moved together easily finding their rhythm. Nic rocked against him drawing him deeper enjoying hearing him moan against her neck as he kissed her.

“Oh God Nic I love you.” He said gritting his teeth as wave after wave of pleasure swept him away. He gave one last thrust and felt her fall apart underneath him before collapsing on top of her.

“That was incredible.” He mouthed softly moving to lay next to her. He kept his arms around her feeling sleep drawing him down.

Nic smiled slowly.

“All says its over?” she asked him.

He chuckled.

“I think the 5 am start I had this morning.” He pointed out.

She gave him a look and ran her finger down his chest hearing him suck in a sharp breath.

“Nicole Campbell.” He murmured rolling over on his back helping her move on top of him.

“Well?” she asked him pressing kisses to his neck and along his collarbone then down his smooth chest. He moaned when he felt her tongue teasing him.

“Take me.” He told her and heard her laughter.

She rocked against him rubbing him erotically while she kissed and licked and tasted her way down his body. Moving slowly she lifted herself up before sinking down once more capturing him inside her body. She heard his moan shadowing her own cries as she rocked and rose and moved. Their hands caught together and held before he reached out and took hold of her waist steadying her movement before letting her move once more. He groaned and arched against her feeling her climax start.

“Yes.” She said huskily bending down and kissing him. “Oh yes.” She moaned against his lips.

“Now Nic.” Geoff said urgently.

She gave a small laugh before moving against him faster. She heard him groan mingling with her own cries as they once more topped the pinnacle of pleasure. Nic fell against him feeling his arms wrapping tight around her. She yawned sleepily and felt his lips kiss her softly before the cover was lifted over her. Clinging to her husband she slowly drifted to sleep.

Chapter 13

Mike led them into Papa Joe’s looking around the dimly lit bar and sighing.

“Before you say it, no we are not getting married in here.” Danni said to him seeing a faint look of disappointment cross his face.

“Danni my love, this is Papa Joe’s.” he introduced her formally to the bar. “This is where I learnt trigonometry, and playing poker with Jacko, who cheats incidentally, how to mix the perfect martini, and over there, “ he paused in his list and pointed. “That is where I threw up because I tried smoking one of Mum’s cigarettes.”

Ella grinned as all eyes turned to her.

“Yes, I smoke.” She told them.

“Shouldn’t that be past tense?” Gabby asked with a frown.

“Not if you see her and Papa Joe having a session.” Mike said softly.

“You should shut up because I’m getting a craving.” Ella said just as softly.

“Lets back up a moment.” Roman said quietly. “How long have you known Jacko?” he asked Mike.

“All my life nearly, that right isn’t it Mum.”

Ella nodded.

“Yeah we used to meet up here whenever Jacko was in town.” She told Roman quietly.

He nodded and guided them to the dark mahogany wooden bar.

“What are we drinking?” he asked them.

“I want to try one of his Martini’s.” Danni murmured pointing to Mike.

Mike chuckled.

“Girlie.” Joe called coming out of the back room.

“Hey.” Ella said smiling.

She moved over to him and was engulfed in a bear hug before being lifted up and swung around. He lowered her slowly to her feet and smiled at her.

“It’s been a slow night I was just about to lock up.” He commented.

”Joe.” Ella murmured puzzled. “It’s Saturday.” She added.

He gave her a grin.

“Still gets slow on occasion.” He said. “Back room tends to get busy.”

Ella gave him a look and then looked over his shoulder into the shadows behind him. She could make out a couple of silhouettes and she frowned before recognition dawned.

“Jacko Pete.” She called out.

The two men grinned and walked towards her with James coming last.

“How you doing Girlie?” Jacko asked before turning to Roman and greeting him. “Hardcore.”

“Jacko.” Roman said quickly followed by. “Pete James. How are you?”

“We’re good. “ Pete said.

“Getting a bit thirsty, mind.” James murmured with a dramatic cough.

Joe grinned and moved behind the bar with Mike following him. They worked together making drinks.

“Let’s sit down.” Ella murmured guiding them through to the back of the room. They eased down into chairs and on the bench. Roman reached out to hold Ella’s hand and she moved quickly away going over to the jukebox and putting on some music.

He gave them a grin and stood following to stand next to her while she looked at the selection.

“Ella.” He said quietly.

“I can’t be with you right now.” She murmured just as quietly. “Every instinct in me is screaming to get away from you and never see you again.”

He flinched at her words unaware that Jacko was watching them from across the room.

“What do you want me to say?” he asked finally. “Or do?”

“I want you to say that you didn’t come and see me only to run away again.” She said to him. “But you can’t do that can you?”

He shook his head.

“No. I left. I saw you get up from the table and move over to some guy and hug him. He kissed you and I didn’t want to ruin your life when I was so screwed up. But whatever explanation I tell you it’s going to be thrown back at me. Ella I did what I thought was best at the time and I’m sorry that it hurts you.”

She gave him a look.

“But you aren’t sorry you did it.” she murmured.

“Only in context that it hurt you.” He said pressing buttons and adding a song choice. “I was drifting from town to town and by accident ended up here. I saw that you were having a signing and I was so messed up but I wanted to see you. I went to the signing and, well, it seemed like you were happy and if I pitched up I would only have reminded you of Michael and maybe a time in your life that you no longer wanted to know about.” He looked at her and saw tears gathering in her eyes. “So I bought a book and took it back to my hotel room and after reading it I called Natalie and spoke to Nic for the first time.”

Ella gasped and looked at him seeing naked pain etched on his face.

“You idiot.” She said. “You flaming idiot.”

“Probably.” He agreed with her.

She gave a sigh and pressed another couple of buttons before turning around and walking back to the table.

“Mum, do you want a martini or vodka?” Mike asked coming over to the table with glasses for Gabby and Danni.

“I’ll have vodka.” She told him with a smile.

“What about you Roman?” Mike turned to him.

“A whisky.” He stated.

“Roman? I thought you called him dad?” Jacko asked with a grin.

“He used to until I had to go fetch him out of a cave in Afghanistan.” Roman told them.

“You?” Jacko muttered with a snigger.” You don’t look fit enough.”

“He’s plenty fit, thanks Jacko.” Ella murmured to them.

Roman smiled as he watched them laugh before finally sitting down next to Ella. He gave her a look before reaching for her hand. She took a moment before letting him hold her hand and heard him sigh softly.

Mike walked back to the table with the remaining drinks before sitting down.

“So come on then tell me about Mike.” Danni said to Jacko. “He mentioned playing pool here.”

“That was Girlie’s fault she taught him to play because he was having trouble with Maths. Of course I should mention that she is a hustler.”

Ella giggled and caught Roman looking at her.

“Why am I not surprised?” he asked her.

She shrugged.

“I just like playing.” She dismissed her prowess with the pool cue.

“And poker?” Danni asked.

“We’d meet up here. First it was like an annual reunion and then we moved here. So this became our local.” Pete explained.

“I can’t believe that you moved here.” Danni said before looking at Ella. “That was you wasn’t it?”

Ella shrugged and took a sip of her drink.

“They did it of their own accord and it made sense for business reasons.” She explained more for Roman’s benefit than Danni’s.

Danni and Gabby shared a look and chuckled.

“Come on let me show you how to play.” Mike said leading Danni away.

Ella yawned and leaned back on the seat.

“Tired?” Joe asked her.

“All the time.” she murmured. “It’s what having kids does to you. I think I should farm some of them out.”

“No way.” Jacko said quickly. “She had me babysit Mike once and it put me off ever having kids of my own.”

Ella grinned at him.

“She never told me what he was like until after I married her.” Roman added and felt her tense beside him. One look at her revealed her that her smile had faltered.

“S’cuse me.” She said and stood up walking to the ladies room at the back.

“I think I’ll go too.” Gabby announced following her.

Jacko waited until they were gone before looking at Roman.

“What did you do?” he asked him.

Roman grinned.

“Well.” He began he looked over at the door Ella had gone through before he spilled the story.

“Hardcore.” James said whistling through his teeth. “I’m surprised she hasn’t killed you.”

“Me too.” Pete said quickly. He looked at Jacko and saw him nod.

“We checked up on her you know.” Jacko began taking a sip of his drink.

“I know.” Roman acknowledged.

“I think you were right not to see her then.” Joe said after a time sipping at his glass of water. “She needed time to get over what Christopher done to her.”

Roman looked down at his drink before slowly nodding.

“I suppose she was upset by him.” he murmured.

“Devastated would be a better description. Not every day you find out your husband to be is already married with a kid.” Joe said with a twinkle in his eye letting Roman know he hadn’t fooled him.

“Thanks Joe.” Roman said quietly looking over at Ella and Gabby coming out of the restroom.

“No worries. That girl means the world to me and I suspect to you too. That makes us family in case you didn’t know it.”

Roman nodded and stood up. He held his hand out to Joe and they shook over the table.

“Ut oh! Are you bonding?” Ella asked them sitting next to Roman again.

“No I just sold you back to him as a waitress.” Roman said to her, seeing her eyes flash again. He smiled before leaning over and kissing her.

“He beat me.” Danni said mournfully coming back to the table and sitting down.

“Mum?” Mike asked holding out a cue to her.

She chuckled and accepted the cue from him and standing up.

Roman watched her go before he stood and moved over to watch. He saw Ella beat Mike easily and laughed at him.

“Getting a flashback to chess?” He asked Mike.

“See if you can do any better?” Mike said back.

“No thanks. I don’t play.” He murmured. “I just came here to watch the view.”

Ella spun around and groaned.

“You!” she muttered.

“You chose to wear that dress. I’m so not complaining because you know with those shoes you look..…” He stopped talking.

“Roman Harris.” She muttered.

He held out his hand to her and she moved over to him and kissed him.

“Doesn’t mean we have finished the conversation.” She warned.

“I know.” He nodded putting his arm around her and leading her back to the table.

Chapter 14

“Yuk!” Mike groaned walking into the kitchen.

“Morning.” Ella called cheerfully from the sofa where she was feeding William. He fussed at the bottle at her words.

“Mother.” Mike groaned. “What did I drink last night?” he moaned searching the cupboards.

“I don’t know exactly you and Roman were having a drinking contest.” She murmured standing up to walk over to the kitchen. She poured out a glass of water one handed and placed that in front of him before handing him the headache tablets.

“Please tell me I won.” He said swallowing two.

She shook her head.

“No.” she said unmercifully.

He glanced over at the bedroom door and grinned at Danni when she walked out to them.

“Don’t ever.” She began pointing her finger. ”Ever sing again.”

Mike looked at her and then at Ella.

“She must be talking to you.”

Ella shook her head.

“No you and Roman were singing.” Ella said softly.

She swapped William to her other arm and gave him the bottle again grinning at the look of distaste on his little face. He screwed up his nose and waved his hands.

“Sorry sweetie,” Ella murmured quietly to the baby.

“So want to tell me what else I did? And why exactly are you so…” Mike narrowed his eyes as he looked at her. “You were drinking last night.” He accused her.

Ella nodded grinning as Danni struggled to get two of the headache tablets out of the bottle.

“Mike we were all drinking.” Danni moaned. “That’s why we are dying this morning. Where are the kids?”

Ella placed William in the playpen watching as he started trying to pull himself up and placed his bottle on the top. She moved over to Danni and took the tablets off her opening them and shaking two out into Danni’s hand.

“Jacko has taken Georgie and Sammy out. “ She murmured. “Sophie and Meggy are downstairs in the studio playing with the dresses I use for photo shoots and Lily is asleep still. “ Ella explained.

“Is it safe to leave the boys with Jacko?” Mike said looking round the kitchen. He finally spotted the coffee pot and began to make some strong coffee.

“They will be back soon.” She said with a smile and moved to take over from him to make the coffee.

“So where is Roman?” he asked finally. “And what is going on with you two?”

“Don’t know and none of your business.” Ella said shortly.

Danni did a double take.

“You don’t know where he is?” she asked sounding puzzled.

Ella shook her head.

“He was gone when I woke up.” She said slowly, not mentioning that she’d told him to sleep on the sofa going into the bedroom and closing the door in his face. “I expect he will be back soon he knows I want to get the children home by lunchtime so we can sort everything out for school in the morning.”

Mike nodded exchanging a look with Danni.

“Tell me that is coffee.” Gabby called out moving into the dining room. She collapsed on to a chair and glared at Mike.

“What did I do now?” Mike muttered folding his arms.

“You and Roman sang all the way home. You woke up the kids. And you got me drunk.” She told him. “But at least I saw Mum thrash you at pool.” she added. “A lot.”

Mike groaned.

“I’m sorry.” He muttered.

Ella laughed and poured out the coffee for everyone handing out cups.

“So did you have a good time?” she asked them.

Danni glared at her.

“Ask me when the hangover is gone.” She muttered sipping at the coffee.

Gabby grinned at her and drank her own coffee.

“Mama.” Lily called from the bedroom.

“Sounds like I’m wanted.” Ella said grinning.

“Before you go.” Mike said quickly. “What are you doing about Christopher?”

Ella looked at him for a minute before she frowned.

“I don’t know.” She answered and moved to collect Lily.

“What is going on with them?” Gabby asked looking at the door Ella had gone through. “I’m sure Roman slept out here last night.”

Danni looked at Mike.

“Is that about Chris?” she asked him.

He shook his head.

“No. “ he muttered sounding uncertain.

She reached out and took hold of his hand.

“Hello.” Sophie murmured walking up the stair with Meggy. “Nice to see you up.” She added in a prim voice.

Gabby looked over at her sister and stuck her tongue out at her.

“Where’s Mummy?” Meggy asked.

“I’m here.” Ella said coming out of the bedroom with Lily. “Mike can you give Jacko a call and tell him to bring the boys back now. I want to get things sorted before we go home. Danni, Gabby come with me.” She instructed. “You too girls.” She said to Sophie and Meggy.

She picked up Lily and led her down the stairs to the studio with everyone following. She placed Lily in amongst a pile of cushions at the end of the room before moving over to the trunk of clothes she had got out earlier. She selected an outfit and handed that to Danni and then chose another one for Gabby.

“Get changed.” She murmured.

“You can’t take out photos we look horrible.” Gabby moaned.

Ella raised her eyebrow and they moved away behind the screen pulling on the outfits. With a grin she picked out some things for Meggy and Sophie and instructed them to get changed before picking up a tiara and going over to Lily.

She placed it on her own head first, capturing Lily’s attention.

“Mama pretty?” she asked her.

Lily nodded.

“Lily pretty?” she asked lifting it off and putting it on Lily.

She giggled and reached up to touch it.

“Pretty.” She murmured.

“That’s right Lily pretty.” She told her backing up slowly and picking up her camera. She checked the setting and took a number or shots watching as Lily took the tiara off and looked at it.

“Mummy.” Meggy called out coming over to her.

“Go sit with Lily.” She murmured kissing the top of her head.

“Hey Lily.” Meggy said sitting on a cushion. She was wearing multiple strands of pearls and a pair of long white satin gloves.

“Meggy pretty.” Lily said reaching for the necklace.

“That’s nice.” Ella said. “Now lets see some smiles. “

Meggy gave her a grin.

“More natural.” Ella instructed. “Pretend Sammy just told one of his jokes.”

“Oh no Mummy not a Sammy joke.” She said rolling her eyes.

Ella snapped off a couple of shots smiling at her two daughters.

“Mummy.” Sophie said coming out of the back room. She was wearing a 1920’s style head-dress with a pink feather in and a matching pink feather boa along with a flapper style dress.

Ella grinned at her as she pouted.

“This dress is too big.” She murmured.

Ella put her camera down and moved to the back of the room collecting crocodile clips. She went quickly back over to Sophie and stood behind her clipping up the dress so it wasn’t so baggy.

“Wow Mummy is that what models do?” She asked her.

“Yup.” Ella said grinning. “Just make sure that we don’t see them in the shoot. Hop over with your sisters and put the tiara back on Lily.” She told her.

Sophie went and sat carefully on one of the cushions.

“Ok?” she asked uncertainly.

“That’s good Sophie.” Ella murmured watching as she smiled before picking up the tiara and popping it on Lily.

“Lily pretty.” She announced to them causing them to burst out into a fit of giggles.

Ella shot off a series of snaps.

“Ok can you pout?” she asked them. “Suck in your cheeks like you are a model?”

Meggy and Sophie looked at each other before trying it.

“Perfect.” Ella said snapping some more shots.

She looked at the display on the back and scrolled through the pictures she had taken before walking over to the screen and checking on Gabby and Danni.

“We’re ready.” Gabby muttered looking in the mirror with a groan.

“Come here.” Ella said opening up her make up box. She took out concealer and used it to cover the dark circles under her eyes before taking out foundation and using that. Within a couple of minutes Gabby had full make up on, and a couple more minutes saw the same with Danni.

“Ok I’m impressed.” Danni muttered checking her reflection.

“Come on.” Ella urged.

The moved out and over to the cushions gingerly sitting down amongst Meggy and Sophie.

“Danni can you put your arms around Sophie please.” Ella directed.

“Careful of my dress.” Sophie said.

“Got it. Do you think we’ll get paid for modelling?” she asked.

Meggy laughed causing Lily to giggle.

“Perfect and no.” Ella told them snapping off a number of shots in rapid succession. She moved over and switched on one of the lights angling it down before stepping back and taking another half dozen shots. She fixated on the shoot not hearing Roman moving quietly down the stairs and sit on them watching her. He lifted his finger to his lips and gestured for them to keep quiet causing more giggles.

Ella continues to take photos moving slightly to one side.

“Ok girls, all done.” She told them.

“Thank god I was getting cramp.” Danni muttered. “I think I’m going to ask for make-up lessons though.”

“Me too.” Gabby agreed.

Ella moved over to Sophie and helped her stand up before unclipping the dress. She gave her a hug before turning her attention to Meggy and hugging her and then picking up Lily.

“Lily pretty dada.” She murmured waving her hand at Roman.

“I know.” He murmured moving over to them.

“Hello.” Ella said softly.

“Let me take her.” he suggested.

She nodded and handed over Lily to him before switching off the light and collecting her camera. Ushering Sophie and Meggy upstairs she carried the camera with Roman walking behind.

“Wow.” Mike muttered from his position on the sofa when Danni walked in from downstairs after them.

She blushed and stood still in shock at his appraising look causing Gabby to bump in behind her.

“Move it.” she murmured giving her a gentle push.

Sophie and Meggy giggled.

“Where did you disappear too this morning?” Mike asked Roman.

“Did you get hold of Jacko?” Ella asked cutting over the question.

Mike nodded.

“They are at Harry’s eating breakfast.” He said turning slightly green at the mention of food.

Ella grinned at her son.

“Ok girls I need you to get packed and make your beds and as for you.” She said walking over to Mike. “Have you learnt your lesson?”

“I am having a flashback. You said the same thing to me when I smoked.”

She nodded.

“Don’t try and keep up with your dad and like seriously, what were you thinking trying to out drink me?”

Mike shuddered and staggered from the sofa over to the sink to pour himself a glass of water. He gulped it down noisily before going into the bedroom where he and Danni slept.

Roman walked over to the playpen putting Lily in there next to William before turning to Ella.

“Is it wrong of me to enjoy that moment.” He grinned.

“Oh yes,” Ella told him. “Where did you got his morning?”

“For a walk.” He shrugged. “I should have left you a note.”

She nodded.

“Maybe.” She said slowly. “Roman.” She began.

He looked at her and sighed.

“Yes?” he asked warily.

“We need to talk.” She muttered looking down and not meeting his eyes. “I’m not going ahead with the wedding.”

He flinched and felt as though she had punched him in the gut.

“Ok.” he said quietly.

“And I’m not sure if I want to sleep with you.” She added.

He raised his eyebrow as he looked at her.

“Don’t try and change my mind over this or plan any of your sneaky tricks. I want to get over being hurt and not force things between us.”

He nodded and looked at her.

“Would you still be cancelling the wedding if we had gotten divorced?” he asked her.

She gave him a hurt look.

“I don’t know.” She confessed. “I’m feeling extremely vulnerable right now.”

He nodded once more and stepped towards her.

“Ella.” He said slowly.

“No don’t do this to me. I need to think this through. I don’t want to feel sad, but I do and I don’t want to fight with you.”

“Ok.” he said backing away from her.

“I’ve already packed our things if you want to start loading up the car.”

He nodded and moved into the bedroom.

“Roman.” She called softly.

Yes?” he asked spinning around his eyes meeting hers.

“If it’s ok with you I don’t want to announce that the wedding is off just yet. I’m not ready to …”

“To be pressured into changing your mind?” he asked with a grin thinking of Sophie and more importantly Nic.

She gave him a hesitant smile and nodded.

“Mummy.” Sammy said bursting through the door.

“Hello Babes.” Ella said to him pinning a smile on her face. “Georgie.”

“Hello Girlie, Hardcore.” Jacko greeted them coming in.

“Mate.” Roman said.

“You should have said these two eat a lot.” He muttered.

“And talk your ear off.” Roman said with a grin.

“Dad.” Georgie muttered.

“Boys I need you to go pack your stuff please and make your beds.” Ella said to them watching them run off.

“Guess that is my cue to go.” Jacko said quickly.

“You don’t have too. You can come home with us. I can introduce you to…”

“Bye Ella.” Jacko said quickly cutting her off.

Ella grinned and moved to give him a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

“Just one thing Hardcore, who’s your best man?” Jacko asked.

“Miles of course.” Roman said slowly after sharing a look with Ella.

“Thank god for that.” Jacko grinned. “That means I don’t have to deal with you on your bucks night.” He murmured.

Ella gave a forced grin and moved into the bedroom away form them.

“What did I say?” Jacko asked puzzled looking at Ella’s departing back.

“Nothing mate.” Roman murmured sounding sad.

“Of course.” Jacko said. “Just give her time.” he advised.

“I never knew that you and her were so close.” Roman said walking over to the door with him.

“If you ask me it was her way of keeping hold of you.” Jacko said softly.

Roman groaned.

“It’ll be ok Hardcore.” Jacko said to him. “Because she loves you so you can get through this.”

Roman gave him a nod and waved goodbye as he moved out.

“He gone?” Ella asked after a moment.

Roman nodded and looked at Ella.

He held out his hand to her and sucked in a deep breath before she moved over to him and moved into his arms. He held her close resisting the urge to kiss her.

“Kids are you ready.” He called out.

“Better check on Georgie.” She advised.

“Do the girls need to eat? The boys had a big breakfast apparently.” He said.

“No we had yoghurt and fruit and museli.”

He chuckled.

“Sophie’s choice?” he asked and she nodded. “I’ll go see about Georgie.” He added moving into the bedroom.

Ella walked over to the playpen and picked up William, picking up his bag from a chair near the table and taking him into the bathroom to change him. She came out after a moment and placed him in his capsule.

“Lily pretty.” She called form the playpen.

“That you are my girl.” She said moving over to her and lifting her out. She removed the tiara from her and placed it on the table.

“No.” she protested.

“Has to stay here.” Ella said to her. “Shall I buy you one?”

“Bridmaid.” She said.

Ella grinned at her.

“Has Sophie been teaching you a new word?” she asked her.

“Bridmaid. Pretty.” Lily said picking at her dress.

Ella kissed her and hugged her to her.

“That’s right baby girl.” Ella told her.

“Ok that is Georgie packed.” Roman said to her. “What’s up?” he asked her seeing her expression.

“Bridmaid.” Lilly said clapping her hands.

“Oh.” He said his face draining of colour.

“Seems Sophie is …” Ella stopped and looked at him. “Roman?” she asked looking at his face.

“Shall we start getting them in the car.” He said quickly.

She nodded before moving over to him.

“Here.” She said handing him Lily.

He smiled at his daughter lifting her to his hip while Ella picked up William in his capsule and handed him over.

“Let’s go home.” She told him with a smile.

He smiled back.

“And if we sneak out now we can leave most of the kids here.” She added softly.

“Hey!” Gabby said from behind them.

Roman chuckled.

“That never works.” He pointed out. “They know where we live.”

Ella smiled at him and he grinned back in return hoping for a miracle.

Chapter 15

“Kids asleep.” Roman asked.

Ella nodded.

“Worn out.” She murmured looking at the expanse off bed in front of her.

He grimaced.

“Do you want me to…” he began, stopping when she shook her head.

“I don’t want to make love but I would like to be with you if that is ok.” she said biting her lip. She caught sight of the bemused expression on his face and stopped, grinning suddenly.

“It’s fine.” He said.

She moved over to the bathroom and he heard her brushing her teeth and getting ready for bed. Yanking off his clothes he pulled on pyjama bottoms and moved into the en suite with her. She smiled at him through the reflection in the glass. She rinsed out her mouth before reaching for the mouthwash.

“Minty fresh.” He said.

She nodded and moved out of the en suite pulling on a fresh nightdress and climbing into the bed. She left his light on but switched off the main light. He followed her after a moment and climbed into the other side.

“Want the light on?” he asked.

“No I’m ok.” she murmured.

He settled down in the bed and clicked it off.

“Roman.”

“Yeah.”

“Would you like to snuggle?” she asked him.

“Is that allowed?” he said quickly.

“Well do you think we’ll get to sleep if we don’t?” she shot back a teasing note entering her voice.

She heard him chuckle before she felt him move towards her and put his arms around her.

“I’m pretty sure this is allowed.” She told him.

He kissed the top of her head and laid back his eyes closed.

“I wish I’d…” he began.

“No. Let’s not ok. It happened and yes I’m hurt and upset but if we keep going over it we’ll make it worse.” She said quickly.

She heard him sigh and turned in his arms placing a kiss against his lips. He held back form hr for a moment before kissing her back hungrily. She responded eagerly before easing back and looking into his eyes.

“El?” he asked.

She shook her head.

“Just this ok.” she told him quietly her voice sounding uncertain.

He grinned and lifted his hand to stroke her face before placing his lips on hers once more. He felt her tremble in his arms and bit back a sigh as his lips continued to press so gently against hers. He felt her mouth parting just so slightly and wanted to tease her lips wider to plunder the depths with his tongue teasing her into arousal so he could place his hands on her beautiful body. So he could make love to her.

He eased back keeping his lips close to her as he sighed her name before kissing her once more. She kissed him back pressing harder against his lips, her hands stroking the column of his neck. She opened her lips once more her tongue seeking out his. Roman gave a little moan keeping his hands from running down her body as his arousal grew. He opened his eyes wide and looked at her seeing the flush on her cheeks and the kiss swollen lips.

“Go to sleep.” He whispered.

Ella sighed and pressed herself closer to him. She felt his arms tighten around her as he held her to him and fell just a little more in love with him.

“Morning.” He said softly.

“Hey.” She murmured and blushed.

Roman grinned as he looked down on her still curled up in his arms, where she had been all night.

“Are we going to talk?” he asked gently stroking her hair back from her face.

“About?” she asked stalling.

“About you and me and what happened.” He murmured.

“I don’t want to.” Ella said with a pout. “I don’t want to lose this.” She added and then bit her lip as though she hadn’t wanted to admit that.

He gave her a smile before leaning over and kissing the end of her nose and climbing out of bed.

“Roman?” Ella asked sitting up.

”Need to get the kids to school.” He said quietly. “And then I have the early shift this morning. “

She nodded and eased out of bed swinging her legs to the floor watching as he moved into the en suite. She stood and walked into the nursery looking at Lily still sleeping in her bed. Fudge the ginger kitten on the end of her bed in place of Cookie and she gave a half smile before walking over to William. He pulled himself up and was looking at her over the top of the bars of the cot.

“Hey sunshine.” Ella called to her son. “How long have you been awake?”

He held up his hands to her and immediately fell back onto his padded bottom.

She gave a small laugh watching as he frowned before scooping him out of the cot and carrying him over to the rocking chair. He immediately began to nuzzle.

“Oh just like your Daddy, eh?” she whispered to him adjusting her nightdress so she could feed him. She saw Roman standing in the doorway, his hair wet from his shower.

“Where are we going to start weaning him?” he asked.

Ella looked at him in shock at the blunt question.

“Soon why? He’s already eating cereal.” She answered him.

“Because it will free up time for you to do stuff.” He said and disappeared down the hall. She heard him moving down the stairs and she looked at where he had stood just a little while ago still frowning. She finished feeding William and moved him over to the changing table to deal with his nappy.

“Mama.” Lily called sleepily.

“Hey baby girl.”

Ella said to her smiling as Lily climbed out of bed and picked up her robe. She tried to put in on but couldn’t get her arms in.

”Need help?” Ella asked her.

Lily nodded and walked over to her dropping her robe on the floor.

Ella grinned and checked William was ok before she knelt down and picked up Lily’s robe she gave it a shake and held it out for Lily smiling as the little girl held out her arms. She put the robe on and fastened the Winnie the Pooh shaped buttons down the front before picking up William and carrying him down the stairs, Lily walking beside her.

“Dada!” Lily cried walking through to the dining room.

He gave her a smile and lifted her into her high chair watching as Ella did the same to William. She turned and looked at Roman.

“What going on?” She asked him slowly.

“Nothing.” He claimed.

She nodded and moved away form him to look out of the back door into the garden.

“The grass wants cutting again.” She told him softly.

“I’ll do it later.” He murmured making a show of fixing breakfast.

“Don’t bother it will be done by the time you come home. I’m going for a shower.” She muttered and turned walking past him to the stairs.

“Ella.” He called out.

“No. I gave you a chance to tell me what was upsetting you Roman. I’m done now. Sulk or whatever I don’t care right now.”

She moved up the stairs and he heard their bedroom door shut and flinched because she hadn’t slammed it.

“Mama mad.” Lily told him when he looked across at the children.

“What makes you say that Lily girl?” he asked moving over to her to place a drink on the table part of her highchair.

“Mama no smile.” Lily declared trying to explain.

Roman gave her a grin before kissing the top of her head.

“You are one clever girl.” He murmured.

She grinned even though she didn’t understand what he’d said to her and picked up her cup making slurping sounds as she drank from it.

“Morning.” Mike said from the doorway.

“Pretty sure you moved out.” Roman muttered going to the fridge and pulling out eggs and bacon.

“Funny thing about that. I did but forgot that I needed to go shopping.”

Roman glared at him.

“Would you like some breakfast?” he asked after a moment of a staring contest.

“That would be great. Shall I make the toast?” Mike said softly. “And maybe you can tell me what is going on?”

“Keep out of it.” Roman said without looking at him and then groaned.

“Yup, you just admitted something is going on so you might as well tell me.”

“Daddy.” Sophie called walking into the kitchen. She’d had her shower because her long hair hung damply down her back and she was wearing her uniform. She moved over to the table and dumped her heavy schoolbag on the back of a chair before turning to the kitchen once more. “Didn’t he move out?” she asked giving Mike a saccharine grin.

Mike turned and poked his tongue out at her.

“Kids behave.” Roman said without turning his back and heard Mike chuckle. He plated up the first batch of eggs and placed it on the table. “I suppose you want museli?” He asked her.

Sophie grinned.

“Yes please.” She said to him reaching for a bowl. “And can I get a coffee?”

Roman gave her a look and shook his head.

“No. Don’t want you wired before you even get to school.” He pointed out and saw her look up at him and pout.

Mike grinned and poured out a coffee for himself, he took a drink before placing it on the table near Sophie before putting the milk and the orange juice on the table too.

“Morning.” Georgie called doing up the buttons on his shirt as he moved into the dining room. “Oh goody toast.” He added picking a bit up that Mike had just spread and biting into it. A shower of crumbs went down his front and Roman gave him a look before smiling.

“Sit down and get a plate.” Roman murmured.

He put a plate of bacon on the table noticing the declining level in Mike’s coffee cup as he did so. Looking at the innocent Sophie he smothered the chuckle that hovered on his lips.

“Come on.” He heard Ella say from the stairs and saw Meggy and a sleepy Sammy walk into the kitchen. They moved over to the dining table and sat down.

He smiled at them watching as Sammy reached for the eggs.

“I’ve done oatmeal for Lily and William.” He told Ella softly and grinned when she moved over to him and kissed him on his cheek.

“Can you mash up a banana for me?” she said softly. “William likes them.”

He nodded moving to the fruit bowl while he saw her carry the bowls of oatmeal over to the babies.

“Mike didn’t you move out?” she asked him seeing her eldest sitting at the table.

“Look can’t we all get along?” he asked back. “I don’t keep reminding you of all the times you move out.”

Ella gave him a look and smiled.

“I think I might upload some baby photos to Facebook later.” She said to him knowing that he had an account on the social network website.

“Mother I would say that you wouldn’t dare but you would wouldn’t you?” he muttered.

Ella smiled at him innocently.

“So that’s where Sophie gets that from.” Roman commented handing over the banana with a cup of coffee for Ella.

“She been drinking coffee again?” Ella asked him.

Roman nodded.

“Hey!” Sophie burst out.

“Can’t get anything past her you should know that by now.” Mike told his sister.

Ella looked over at her daughter and smiled.

“Hey.” Nic called from the front door. She moved inside followed by Robbie and a quiet Angel. Mira was cradled in her arms. She put her daughter down and watched as she ran over to Lily.

“Come in.“ Roman called to her.

“Angel.” Sophie cried out abandoning her breakfast to go over to her. “I’m so sorry I forgot to take my phone with me.” She explained.

Ella grinned as Angel smiled and put her arms around Sophie hugging her. The two girls held hands as Sophie led her to the table. She lifted up her bag and took out a small jewellery box handing it to her.

Angel smiled.

“This for me?” she asked.

Sophie nodded slowly.

“Open it up.” She instructed impatiently.

Roman looked at Ella they shared a smile.

“It’s so cool.” Angel said looking at the necklace in the box.

Sophie smiled and then revealed the part she was wearing, the other half of the best friends’ necklace.

“Can I wear mine Mummy?” Angel asked quickly grinned when Nic nodded.

“Here let me.” Mike said taking the necklace out of the box and putting around her neck. He fastened it securely and smiled at them. “There you go.”

“I picked up those samples for the bridesmaid dresses.” Nic told Ella. “Thought I would bring them over this morning and then maybe I could let them know the choice when I go into work later.”

Ella looked over at her as she pulled out the folder and handed that to her.

“I need to check it against my dress and work out how many Bridesmaids I’m actually having.” Ella said slowly. She felt Roman reaching out and placed his hand on her knee and she lowered her hand to his.

“Mummy.” Meggy said slowly.

“What precious?” Ella grinned at her.

“Can I see?” she murmured ignoring Sophie glaring at her.

Ella nodded and handed over the folder to her grinning as Sophie and Angel ran around the table with and excited squeal looking at the swatches of material.

“How many bridesmaids are you having?” Nic asked her sitting at the table and helping herself to a slice of toast.

“One.” Ella said quickly and grinned at Sophie’s outraged squeak.

“Ok kids. Breakfast finished its time to go to school.” Roman announced.

“Mummy.” Sammy said slowly.

“What’s up?” she said.

“I don’t want to go to school.” He announced frowning.

“Samson?” Roman asked slowly.

“I don’t feel very well.”

Ella stood and went over to him placing her hand on his forehead.

“No temperature.” She told him. “Is it because you are tired?” she asked him softly.

He shook his head.

“I just want to stay home today. And I really don’t feel very well.”

“Ok my babes.” Ella said to him lifting him out of his chair and over to the sofa. She lay him down and arranged the cushions around him before pulling the throw over him. “Close your eyes.” She said softly watching as he did so. She eased away from him and looked over at the others.

“I think your Dad said something about school.” She instructed. “So you need to go wipe your face and hands and brush your teeth.” She instructed and watched as a stream of kids moved up the stairs. She turned her attention to Lily and fetched the wipes to clean her up before lifting her down to play with Mira.

“You want to leave her here this morning?” she asked Nic.

“If that is ok?”

Ella nodded catching sight of Mike clearing the table

“I think Lily missed her.” she murmured watching as the two little girls sat playing on the floor.

“Well I can take the kids to school.” Nic offered.

Roman nodded.

“I’ll get off to work then.” He announced.

He moved over to Ella and leaned in to kiss her smiling when he felt her hand on his waist.

“Later.” He said slowly.

She nodded watching him go before the kids trailed back downstairs.

“Got your bags and homework?” she asked them seeing a couple of unenthusiastic nods. She watched them get into the car before Nic drove off. Turning back around she went over to Mira and Lily and got out some toys for them before collecting William and lifting him to his playpen. She saw him pull himself up and smiled as Lily moved over to him. Mira followed and she ended up lifting them both into the playpen with him.

Chapter 16

“Go.” Roman murmured moving his pillows behind his head restlessly. “I don’t even know what you are asking permission for.”

“I’m not exactly asking permission here. I’m trying to make sure you are ok with it.” Ella muttered folding her arms.

He grinned and eased down in the bed pulling up the covers.

“No need to…” he began and felt her kick him under the covers.

“Careful Roman Harris.” Ella muttered. “You don’t want to ruin your three-days-without-mucking-up-so-far record do you?”

“Three whole days?” he said slowly and grinned some more, turning towards her. “Has it been that long already?”

Ella looked at him and sighed.

“So are you ok with the kids if I go to the studio tomorrow?” she asked again. “I want to meet Chris for lunch.”

Leaning towards her he placed his hand on her face and stroked down her cheek before wrapping a strand of her hair round his finger.

“Yes, to the kids and God, no to meeting Chris. Seriously.” He told her looking into her eyes.

“So you don’t want me to spend time with my friends?” she asked with a giggle.

“Female friends are ok.” he announced. “But men?” he shook his head.

Ella made a little huffing sound and made to move away from him. He reached out and captured her pulling her hard against him.

“no men are we clear?” he asked.

“Oh yeah?” she said pouting at him. “What are you going to do about it?”

Roman looked once more into her eyes before moving until he was above her supporting himself on his hands. He lowered his head and kissed her slowly.

“Well that is good but what else can you do?” she asked him smiling.

He lowered himself down once more and kissed her slowly feeling her hands slowly begin an exploration of his body. He moaned against her lips.

“Do you want to make love?” he asked her.

She nodded.

“Are you sure?” he whispered kissing her some more.

“I want you.” She told him breathlessly kissing him back. She ran her hands down his spine teasing all the points she knew he liked loving the feel of his silken skin under her fingertips.

“Yum.” He murmured against her lips.

Ella looked him in the eyes, a giggle on her lips feeling bubbles of happiness spread through her.

“I love this bit.” He told her kissing a spot on her neck.

“Do you indeed?” she asked him in a husky voice. “I like it when you kiss me..” she paused taking in a sharp breath. “Yeah, just there.” she moaned as his lips trailed down her neck finding the special spot just where her long delicate neck joined with her also delicate shoulder. He kissed and licked and teased along her collarbone.

He felt her arch against him and smiled.

“I love when you do that.” He told her.

“Move underneath you?” she asked.

“Oh yes.” He moaned. “I love the silk feel of your skin as I touch you. I love your hands on me.”

She giggled and pulled his head towards her kissing his lips again.

“These hands?” she asked stroking him.

“Yes those hands and do that again?” he asked softly. “Yeah, just like that.”

She ran her fingertips down his taught belly feeling the ripple of his muscles move under her touch and he took in a sharp breath. He felt her hot breath fan his cheek before feeling her lips touch his skin as she kissed a spot just behind his ear. She trailed kisses down his neck before letting out a slow moan as she felt his fingers tease her breast. Her nipple hardened and she heard his moan before he lowered his mouth to kiss her there. He tugged down her nightdress and suckled feeling her arch once more.

“This is going to be one of those nights isn’t it?” she asked him heaving in deep breaths.

“One of those nights?” he asked his breath fanning her aroused aureole causing her to shudder in delight.

“When we spend all night making love.” She gasped out.

“Oh I hope so.” He said quietly. “I really hope so.”

She laughed softly and put her arms around him kissing him once more.

“Morning.” Mike called cheerfully from the kitchen.

“I’m pretty sure you moved out.” Ella mumbled heading for the coffee pot.

“I did but why go shopping when I can have breakfast here.” He said taking pity on her and pouring a coffee.

She gulped it down and held out the cup for a refill.

“Oh my god mother.” Mike groaned looking at her.

“What?” she asked him.

“You have a lovebite on your neck and you are mainlining coffee. You..” he trailed off and just poured out the coffee.

“I what?” she asked him with a grin.

“Got down and funky last night.” He murmured controlling his blush.

She nodded and moved to sit at the dining table.

“Kids will be down for breakfast soon.” She commented.

“That is my cue to leave.” Mike grinned.

“No stay and talk to me.” Ella said suddenly. “Tell me stuff the way you used to before I lose you to Danni.”

Mike paled and moved quickly over to her.

“Mum you are never going to lose me. I love you for everything you’ve done for me.” He said to her his voice tremulous.

“Nice try kiddo, but you are hardly going to come running to me to tell me stuff are you.” She said softly. “You’ll be off making me a Grandma.”

“Not quite just yet thank god.” He grinned. “Much as I love Danni I think that would have tested us.” He gave his mother a smile. “And yeah, Danni knows how I felt about it and that I did have doubts.”

Ella nodded and lifted her hand to his face. She felt the roughness of his beard growth and missed the feel of his baby soft skin from when he was her little boy. He smiled some more and pressed his hand on top of hers.

“I nearly lost you Mum.” He said slowly. “I was alone in the dark and it hurt and I might not have come back.”

“I know.” She said back to him. “I felt you. When Dad told me I felt like something was pressing on my side and I thought it was the baby but it was nothing like I felt with any of the others.”

“Here?” he asked touching the place where the bullet had entered his body.

She nodded.

“I had to send Roman to get you.” She told him her voice full of guilt from that time, that moment.

“It’s ok.” Mike murmured softly. “We made it ok. If you hadn’t sent him Mum then I wouldn’t be here. I wouldn’t have Danni.”

She gasped and the first tears fell from her blue eyes.

“Mike, I love you so much.” She told him.

“I know. I love you too and I’m proud of you. Coming through everything that you have.”

She gave another little gasp.

“Listen to us, Roman will be down soon and find us in floods of tears.” She moaned wiping at her face.

“No mother, Roman will be down soon find you crying and me the cause of it and pound my face into the wall.” He grinned at her.

Ella smiled at the joke knowing that maybe there was a bit of truth in it.

“So you and Danni.” She began.

“Yes. Me and Danni.” He answered with a grin. “You knew from the first didn’t you?”

Ella shook her head.

“Don’t fool me mother. Why did you insist for so long that she wasn’t your daughter and then go out of you way to make sure she stayed around?” he said slowly.

Ella shook her head again before smiling at him.

“I just knew she wasn’t Gabby.” She said softly. “Her eyes weren’t Roman’s.”

“You love that about your kids don’t you.” He commented.

“Seeing him looking back at me?” Ella said softly. “Yes.” She acknowledged.

“So what happened last weekend?” he asked slowly broaching the subject he had avoided for the past few days.

“Roman came to see me.” Ella said slowly her voice still full of hurt and more than that disappointment. “After we were back from California. He came to a book signing and chickened out at the last minute.”

Mike nodded sitting back on his chair and sipping at his coffee.

“He’s an emotional coward.” Mike said slowly. “Maybe if he had stepped up then Dane would never have hurt you.”

“Mike don’t ok.” Ella muttered quickly. “Dane didn’t mean to hit me.”

“But he did and you covered up for him.”

“Twice.” Ella groaned folding her arms across her stomach. “He hit me twice and I knew it was time to leave it’s not like I was a battered wife.”

“It could have been and Roman could have stopped all that just by stepping up. You know Mother, I don’t think I can forgive him for that. I’ll never forget coming home from school and seeing you on the floor bleeding because he hit you.”

“I’m sorry you have that memory. Mike I loved Dane. It was the pain that he couldn’t stand and that’s when he lashed out.” Ella said.

“Are you actually defending him?” Mike gasped.

“No. Of course not Mike. I’m telling you why he did it. I can’t excuse him for hurting me.” She drained the coffee in her cup and placed it on the table. “I still care about him. I know he got help and moved on.”

“Oh mum.” Mike said.

“So lets get back to you here.”

He chuckled.

“I’m in the reserves.” He murmured. “I’m going back to Uni.”

Ella nodded smiling at her son.

“To study what this time?”

“Political Science and International Law.” He grinned.

“Superbrian.” She stood up from the chair and moved over to him leaning down and kissing his cheek. “I’m so proud of you.”

“I know Mum.” He told her with a smile. “Still not cooking breakfast though.”

“Are you kidding I don’t want to be poisoned.” She said and squeaked when he grabbed her by her waist and tickled her. “Ouf!” she muttered squirming away from him.

“Take it back.” He said. “I am a moderately ok cook.”

Ella giggled and tried to squirm out of his hold.

“Give it up mother you won’t win.” He told her. “I’m stronger.”

She murmured something under her breath before leaning close and talking in his ear.

“Yeah but I can show Danni all those baby photos as I upload them to Facebook. Imagine all those captions I can put on them.”

Mike dropped her to the floor and glared at her.

“That’s right you are stronger but I’m always sneakier.” Ella said grinning at him.

He held out his hand to her and helped her up.

“Love you kiddo.” She said putting her arms around him and hugging him.

“Me too Ma.” He replied. “Me too.”

Chapter 17

Roman stepped out of his car and stretched. He moved over to the door of the studio and let himself inside. He heard her music playing and chuckled as he climbed the stairs. He opened the other door and stepped inside. He looked around the room seeing her sitting at the table the laptop in front of her and the tall glass of something beside it. He grinned again and took a step towards her.

“Oh my god.” She gasped out looking up and seeing him.

“Hello.” He said.

Ella stood up and moved over to him. She was engulfed in his arms and he picked her up kissing her before lowering her to the floor his arms still tight around her.

“You missed me already?” she asked grinning at him.

“Something like that.” He told her. “Gabby and Danni are babysitting so we have the night to ourselves.”

“Staying here?” she asked frowning.

He nodded.

”I thought I would come and cook us a romantic meal and then.” He paused and lowered his lips to her ear before whispering what else he would like to do to her. He felt her tremble in his arms and chuckled before kissing her again.

Ella smiled and eased back from him before taking hold of his hand and leading him to the bedroom.

“El?” he questioned.

“I’m not hungry.” She said softly. “Let’s skip the meal for the moment.”

Roman laughed and pulled her to him sweeping her in to his arms and carrying her though to the bedroom. He kicked the door open and heard her gasp before she pressed kisses to his neck. He felt her teeth nip at his earlobe and he moaned as the intense sensation flooded through him causing instant arousal.

“Ella honey.” He murmured laying her on the bed.

“Yes sweetheart?” she asked looking at him innocently.

He looked into her sensational deep blue eyes and smiled.

“Carry on like that and I will come in my pants.” He told her. “I want to spend some time loving you.”

She giggled and reached for him pulling him to the bed.

“Maybe I want it quick and dirty.” She suggested to him her hands tugging at his T shirt pulling it up. She placed kisses on his flat stomach. She heard him suck in a sharp breath and giggled when he pushed at his shorts and shucked them down his legs, kicking off his shoes at the same time and lay back on the bed naked.

“How quick do you want it because you seem to be wearing way too many clothes.” He told her grinning.

Ella moved and eased off the bed until she was standing beside it. She kicked off her shoes before turning and easing down the zipper on her denim mini skirt. She wiggled her hips as she pushed it down her legs. Spinning around she tugged at the hem of her T shirt before pulling it up and over her head.

He grinned at the absence of a bra loving the swell of her full breasts before watching her reach for her panties. She hooked her fingers in the top and began pushing them down until she kicked them off to join the pile of discard clothes on the floor.

“Come here.” He told her.

She chuckled.

“I think I need to take a shower first.” She told him and heard his roar of frustration.

He vaulted off the bed and caught her before she made it to the door, lifting her easily he carried her over to the bed and lay her down. Looking down her body he gave a little sigh of satisfaction before joining her on the big bed. His fingers traced down her body feeling her move restlessly.

“I really was planning dinner first.” He whispered and kissed her.

Danni eased down the stairs with a sigh and moved into the lounge where Mike and Gabby were sitting.

“Asleep?” Mike asked.

Danni nodded and sank into the space next to him.

“So what has Roman gone to the studio for?” she asked.

“What do you think?” Gabby shot back with a grin.

“Girls.” Mike murmured. “It’s not just about sex and talking about sex and my parents in the same sentence really creeps me out. Roman is dating her.”

“Dating?” Danni muttered.

“They have a gazillion kids isn’t dating a little er..” Gabby trailed off looking at them.

“I think its romantic.” Danni said with a sigh.

Mike chuckled and caught hold of her hand lifting it to his lips and placing a kiss on the palm.

“So what is Roman planning to do next?” Gabby asked.

“I have no idea.” Mike grinned. “But its about time don’t you think.”

Danni glared at him.

“Hey, I’ve seen them do romance over the years.” She protested.

Mike chuckled.

“Usually Roman does it when he thinks he’s stuffed up.” He pointed out without bitterness.

Gabby groaned.

“How many times have they split up?” she asked quickly.

“More times than I can count. Before Meggy was born. At the trial. Before Francesca and then after her. And after Elliot.”

Gabby looked at him and frowned.

“What trial?” she asked.

“Yeah.” Danni echoed.

“Gardy’s.” Mike said and stood up.

He moved into the kitchen and poured out a glass of Roman’s whisky for himself sipping it slowly.

“Who is Gardy?” Danni asked from the doorway.

“Yes. Mike what happened?” Gabby questioned looking at him and the glass that hovered halfway to his lips.

“Gardy was in Roman’s unit. He.” Mike looked at his glass and emptied it before refilling it and looking at them. “He took Mum and held her captive for days before he raped her.”

Danni gasped and clutched at herself turning to look at a now crying Gabby.

“Why didn’t she tell us about it?” Gabby said slowly. "Wait, she mentioned something to me, before... when I first came here. Is that what happened?"

“Because she didn’t want you to know the whole sordid story probably. We went through hell, all of us, especially with Sammy's kidnap coming on top of it. Mum found out she was pregnant just after the attack and thought Meggy was the rapists. She left Roman thinking that it wasn't fair to hold him to the marriage but of course he kept trying to win her round. Mum was being pretty stubborn though. she didn't want Meggy to be treated any different. Then came the trial and he walked out on her.” He took a long drink not enjoying retelling the story. “Roman walked away then. They said stuff to each other. Bad stuff I imagine. Nic and Geoff took me home with them to give the olds some space. Then as far as I know the olds finally cleared the air, sorted through some stuff and after that they got back together.” He finished looking down at the glass.

Danni walked over to him and took the glass from his hand and drained it before handing it back to him.

“Roman does that.” She told him. “Don’t.”

Mike gave her a look and was about to say something before he shook his head.

“Fine.” He acknowledged.

“And Meggy?” Gabby asked.

Mike shrugged.

“She’s Roman’s.” he said softly thinking of his cute baby sister.

“Oh my god. I can’t believe she’s gone through so much.” Gabby groaned. “I was so horrible after she got home from the hospital with William. I hated her being so depressed.”

“We all hated that.” Mike told her. “After Sammy was kidnapped she took an overdose. That was the worst time.”

“Back up.” Danni muttered. “You've mentioned that twice, Sammy. Kidnapped?”

Mike nodded.

“Taken out of the hospital by Louise. She was also one of Gardy's victims and by chance ran into Mum when she was pregnant. She couldn't have kids, see, and decided in her mental state that she should take Sammy from the hospital. Within days it all fell apart, Mum took an overdose because she thought that Dad didn’t love her anymore and also that she was useless as a mother. It wasn’t really a serious attempt but it scared us. She recovered and couple days later following a hunch, she went and got him back.”

“Why would she think she was a useless mother?” Danni said frowning. “The way she’s been with me has been amazing. I wouldn’t have finished school or had a place to live without her.”

Mike smiled and put his arm around her to give her a quick reassuring squeeze before opening the cupboard where the booze was kept and picked out a bottle of white rum. He collected glasses and cola and took it through to the lounge. Pouring out drinks for everyone he sat back on the sofa as Danni and Gabby joined him.

“Meggy became a very difficult toddler. Competing for attention against the twins and then Mum had gotten pregnant with Sammy and wasn’t that well. I never really saw it because I was in boarding school for most of the time and then Roman used to take care of me at weekends. After Sammy was taken there was this whole other secret that came out about her own mother. Mum thought we'd all be better off without her and took some tablets.” He explained. “The only times I’ve ever seen her that sad is then and when she lost her other baby and then later, after Francesca.”

“All us kids.” Danni said mournfully.

Mike smiled.

“And you know what she wouldn’t change a thing because she loves us all.” He told them.

Danni wiped at a tear that had fallen down her face and found her hand being held by Gabby and shared a look with the other girl.

“So we need to do more stuff for her.” Gabby murmured quickly.

Mike grinned at her.

“She won’t want that. I know Dad has talked to her about getting a cleaner to help in the house but Mum is superwoman.” He said with a grin.

“Yeah and now Roman has opened up the studio so she’ll have somewhere else to clean.” Danni muttered.

Mike laughed and took a sip of his drink.

“She’ll cope.”

Gabby drained her glass and held it out for a top up.

“No we are going to clean tonight.” She announced.

“What?” Danni said and then looked at Mike. “My lips have gone numb. How much did you put in my glass?”

“The normal amount. About half a glass.” He grinned.

“Ok.” Danni said and looked at Gabby. She shrugged and drained the glass holding it out too.

Mike gave them a look and refilled the glasses smiling at them as they stood up afterwards and moved into the kitchen. He heard them moving about before they came back with cleaning supplies.

“You’re dusting.” Danni announced dropping the polish into his lap with a pile of dusters.

He grinned and stood up moving over to the bookcase and began cleaning. Danni moved to the windows and started to clean them. Gabby plugged in the vacuum and started it up. She moved the dining room furniture to hoover under the table.

“Ella have you seen my T shirt.” Roman called moving out of the bedroom. He saw her in the kitchen and grinned.

“This T shirt?” she asked pulling on the hem of the cotton T-shirt she was wearing.

“That would be the one.” He murmured with a grin. He tightened the belt of his robe and moved over to her.

“Did you put the groceries away?” he asked her.

She nodded.

“I found this.” Ella murmured holding up a bottle of sparkling rose.

“I told you I was planning romance.” He said with a grin. “Would you like it opened?”

Ella looked up at him and smiled.

“Ok.” she agreed.

“And how about we get pizza?” he suggested.

“Are you hungry?” she asked him.

“Oh yes.” He told her a light in his eyes.

“For food.” She clarified.

He moved over to stand behind her, putting his arms tight around her and holding her against him. He grinned when he heard her little sigh of contentment.

“I’m hungry for food too.” He said and lowered his head so his chin was on her shoulder.

Ella turned her head and kissed him.

“Lets get pizza and put on a film and snuggle.” She suggested.

He grinned and kissed her.

“Perfect.” He declared.

She moved away from him to the phone and dialled. He heard her order their favourite pizzas and garlic bread and smiled before he took out the glasses and opened the sparkling wine. He carried it and the glasses over to the coffee table and moved to the shelves to pick out a film. Smiling to himself he put a disc in the machine and hit play.

Ella moved over to him and chuckled.

“The notebook?” she asked. “Seriously?”

He nodded.

“I feel like some major snuggling.” He murmured.

She sat next to him on the comfortable sofa and felt his arm go around her before he tugged the throw over her curled up legs.

“Roman Harris.” She said softly.

“Yes?” he asked looking into her eyes.

“You are trying to make me fall in love with you aren’t you?”

He chuckled softly.

“I hope you already are in love with me.” He said to her. “Because I know I’m in love with you.”

She sighed and moved closer to him.

“Maybe I am.” She told him. “But I wouldn’t want your ego to get too big.”

Roman laughed and leaned down and kissed her. She wound her arms around his neck and kissed him back.

“I love you.” He told her.

She smiled and reached up to stroke his face.

“I love you. I love these eyes of yours and this smile and this nose.” She said to him. “I love your strength.” She added running her hand down his arm feeling him flex his muscles. She ran her hand over then to the v shaped gap in his bathrobe sliding her fingers down his chest.

“Are you starting something?” he asked with a mock growl.

Her gaze met with his.

“Sometimes I can’t get enough of you.” She admitted moving on the sofa until she was sitting astride him. “I smell you on my skin after we’ve made love and I want you all over again.”

Roman put his hands in her hair holding her head still while his eyes burned into hers.

“I know I would go crazy if you ever told me you didn’t want me. When we make love and I pleasure you it makes me feel amazing.”

Ella smiled and leaned forward placing her lips on his.

“Only you.” She whispered.

“Only me what?” he asked her.

“That can make me feel like that.” She murmured unable to control the blush on her face.

“What are you saying?” he asked.

“You know.” Ella muttered.

“Are you trying to say that…” he paused and leaned forward whispering in her ear. Pulling back he looked into her eyes and she nodded. “Oh my Ella. My beautiful wife. I love you so much.” He gasped out kissing her gently.

She wrapped her arms around him and kissed him back hungrily. She ran her hands down his chest, pulling his dressing gown open so she could touch him more, hearing him sigh. She felt his arousal pressing against her and she smiled.

“You want me.” She said triumphantly.

“Always.” He told her.

She moved slowly positioning herself over him before sinking slowly down. He responded with a groan before pulling at his T-shirt she was wearing and yanking it off her. He looked down at her body hungrily putting his hands on her hips and helping her find her rhythm rising up and down on him. Their mouths fused and he kissed her hard. He felt her hands on him and moaned.

“I love you.” She told him softly.

“Love you.” He said in return. “So much my beautiful wife.”

Chapter 18

Roman walked into the house and sniffed. It smelt of both lavender and lemons and he grinned thinking back to coming home and finding Nic had cleaned the house from top to bottom. Walking through to the lounge and saw that the furniture was rearranged ever so slightly and moved over to the playpen where Lily and William were.

“Hey kids.” He murmured softly to them.

“Dad.” Gabby called from the kitchen.

“Gabby, how’s you? The kids been alright?” he said moving into the kitchen. He told one look at her and walked over to the cupboard where the bottles were kept and opened it.

“Hey what?” Gabby gasped incoherently.

“You’ve been drinking and I wanted to make sure that you didn’t touch Ella’s vodka.” He said with a quick smile.

“No we’re not that dumb.” She muttered lifting a hand to her throbbing head.

Roman walked over to her and gave her a hug.

“Drink some water.” He instructed.

Gabby nodded.

“And who did the cleaning?” he asked reaching for a bottle of water from the fridge. He unscrewed the top and handed it to her.

“We did. We wanted to help Ella.” She confessed taking a gulp from the bottle.

“That’s sweet.” He said to her.

“Dad.” Gabby began looking at him.

“What’s up?” Roman said moving about the kitchen preparing a pot of coffee.

“Mike told us about Gardy.” She burst out. “About what he did.”

Roman straightened up and the cup he was reaching for slipped from his fingers and fell to the floor and smashed. He found himself looking at the broken shards for a moment before raising his eyes and looking at her.

“What did he say?” he asked slowly.

“That he” she stopped looking at him.

She moved over to him and put her arms around his neck.

“That’s why she has bad dreams isn’t it?” Gabby asked feeling Roman shake.

“Yes.” He said bluntly. “Gabby don’t talk to her about this, ok?”

He gave a hug in return and turned and focused on cleaning up the mess the cup made on the floor. He sucked in a sharp breath when a piece sank into his finger leaving a cut.

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to upset you.” Gabby said softly.

She took a long drink of the water and moved away to look out the back.

“It’s ok.” Roman told her as he poured out a coffee for himself. “It was a long time ago.” He shrugged.

Looking out the back himself he opened the door and went outside. Within minutes he had gone over to the shed and taken out the gardening tools and the lawnmower. He began cutting the grass using the distraction of manual labour to take away thoughts of Gardy.

“Hey Dad.” Mike called out loudly over the sound of the lawnmower walking over to him.

Roman stopped what he was doing and looked at him.

“Why did you blurt out about Gardy.” He bit out.

He felt himself tensing, his hands clenching into fists.

“Sorry, it slipped out and then, well I had to tell them.”

Roman looked at him and felt another flash of anger go through him.

“It wasn’t your place to tell them what happened to your mother.” He muttered sucking in a sharp breath. He felt the anger growing in him and couldn’t control the flood of rage that was overflowing.

”I’m sorry.” Mike said again. “But don’t you think that keeping secrets just makes things worse.”

“Do you really think that your mother can cope with having it dragged up again?” Roman snapped. “Do you have any idea what she goes through? What the nightmares are like? And then Elliot kept her in the same damn room. Do you have any idea what it is like to make love to her and know that a part of her is scared of you?” his voice rose as he spoke the words until he was shouting.

“I’m sorry.” Mike stuttered and looked past him in horror to his mum.

“Mike go find something to do elsewhere.” She said quietly.

Mike nodded and moved away seeing his mum move over to stand next to Roman. She placed her hand on his arm and stood on tiptoes to press a kiss to his cheek.

“Finish cutting the grass.” Ella instructed him. “The how about lunch out? We could take the babies to the beach?”

Roman looked at her and gave her a smile.

“Ok.” he agreed quietly.

She nodded and moved inside leaving him to finish the manual labour he needed to calm himself down.

“Mum.” Gabby said slowly.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” She said before turning and looking at her daughter. “Have you decided about whether you are going to college?”

Gabby shook her head.

“I don’t know yet.” She murmured looking down at her feet.

“Then you need to get a job.” Ella muttered. “Your dad suggested that I make you our part time Nanny.”

“I’m not sure I want to work with children.” Gabby blurted. “I thought about asking if they have any jobs going at Sophie’s old stables.”

“Then do it.” Ella muttered. “Stop drifting along and sort out your life.”

Gabby gasped and spun on her heel making for the stairs running up them. Ella heard the bedroom door slam and winced. She knew she sounded like a witch but a bit of tough love was called for every now and then. She poured out a cup of coffee for herself and moved to sit on the veranda in the shade. She watched Roman finish cutting the grass before he came over to her and sat next to her.

“What did you do to Gabby?” Roman asked after a moment.

“I nagged her about getting a job. “ Ella murmured.

“Sneaky wife.” He grinned.

She reached for his hand and gave it a squeeze.

“What are you doing home anyway? I thought you were seeing Chris?” he asked her proud that his voice didn’t sound the least bit jealous.

Ella grinned at him.

“He was called away. Something to do with his son, so I thought I would come home.” She smiled at him. “Anyway shall we take the kids out?”

Roman chuckled and stood.

“I need a shower first.” He said a light in his eyes.

“Good god man didn’t you get enough sex yesterday?” she murmured when he pulled her to her feet and hard against him.

“Of course not.” He grinned. “I can never get enough of you.” He growled against the side of her neck before kissing her.

Ella laughed and pushed at his chest.

“Go get your shower.” She instructed and turned picking up her cup. She took it through to the kitchen smiling as she saw him head up the stairs. Moving through to the lounge she saw Lily sitting up in the playpen playing with one of her toys. William was tucked in his blankets in his crib, his blue eyes open and looking around the room. She walked over to him and picked him up.

“Hello my little man.” She cooed softly at him. “We’re going to the beach.”

“Beach.” Lily called standing up and pulling on the side of the playpen.

“Do you want to go to the beach Lily?” Ella asked her daughter.

“Beach Liam.” She said loudly.

Ella swung William to her hip before reaching down and lifting Lily out of the playpen. She set her daughter on the floor and reached down to hold her hand leading her through the stairgate and up the stairs.

“Mama.” Lily said softly.

“What my Lily girl?” Ella said to her.

“Swim?” she asked.

“”Do you want to swim at the beach?” Ella murmured.

“Lily swim.” Lily murmured in response pointing at herself.

“Ok sweetie.” Ella said to her. She let go of Lily’s hand temporarily to open the upper stairgate and ushered her daughter on to the landing.

“Into the nursery.” She told her.

Lily ran ahead into the nursery and reached the changing table. She pulled open the drawer at the bottom and rummaged through the clothes pulling out things until she found her swimming costume.

“Lily.” Ella giggled when she saw her daughter. “You are making a mess.”

“Lily swim.” She told her mother simply.

“What do you think William my boy?” she asked her son.

“Liam swim.” Lily told him.

“unkghara” William cried clapping his hands before holing them out to Lily.

“Ok do you want to hold Liam?” she asked her daughter and saw her grin.

Ella placed William on his bottom on the floor and grinned as Lily sat with him and held his hand. She picked up the clothes Lily had scattered and reached for her swimming costume before finding the special swimming pants for William. She lifted him up to the changing table and changed him quickly before placing him in his crib.

“You next.” She told Lily and reached for her daughter.

Lily giggled and squirmed until she was over the other side of the room.

“Oh, doesn’t Lily want to swim?”

“Mama tickle Lily.” Lily told her.

“Lily.” Ella said softly. “Mama going to come and get you.”

Lily ran over to her and then dodged running away.

“Does someone need help?” Roman called from the doorway.

He caught hold of his squirming daughter.

“Daddy no tickle.” Lily said quickly and squirmed in his hold.

Ella laughed.

“It’s ok we’ll go beach without her.” she told him.

“no Lily go.” Lilly muttered.

“Well come and put your costume on then.” Ella said to her daughter.

“Mama no tickle?”

“I make no promises.” Ella said to her and laughed as Lily giggled and ran over to her.

She changed Lily quickly putting on her pink costume before pulling on a dress over the top. She added her sandals and brushed her hair back from her face and put it in a ponytail.

“Lily ready.” Ella said to her.

Lily smiled and ran over to William.

“Swim.” She told him.

Roman grinned.

“Want me to put them in the car while you get changed?” he asked.

Ella nodded and stood up moving past him and into the bedroom. She grabbed her bikini and moved into the bathroom checking quickly before pulling on a sundress over the top. She ran out and down to the car.

“Ready?” he asked her.

“Did you grab some towels.”

Roman nodded.

“Of course.”

She climbed into the car and he set off heading towards the beach.

Chapter 19

“Roman.” Miles called to him.

He continued to look out on the pier before realising the other man had called him name.

“Sorry.” He muttered.

“What is it?” Miles asked and looked over in the direction Roman was starring. “More importantly who?” he added.

“What?” Roman said, finally catching up with the conversation. “That is Chris.” He said easing down on the sand.

“Ella’s ex Chris?” Miles asked with a slow whistle.

“Thanks for the reminder.” Roman muttered taking a drink of his water.

Miles collapsed next to him their run suspended.

“What is he doing in the Bay?” Miles asked holding his hand out for the water bottle.

Roman handed it over to him and gave the other man a brief smile.

“I don’t know.” He ground out. “But I have the feeling that I’m not going to like it.”

“How is Ella?” Miles said slowly.

“With things or with Chris being around?” Roman asked back and saw Miles grin.

“Both.” He supplied.

“Well we’re still taking things slow. We don’t mention the wedding.” He murmured narrowing his eyes and he saw Ella run over to Chris and hug him.

“Is it on or off?” Miles asked and then did a doubletake looking back over at Chris and Ella at Roman’s growl.

“Is she kissing him?” he asked foolishly

“That would be what she is doing.” Roman said angrily standing up and taking a step towards the direction of the pier

“Roman don’t.” Miles said quickly. “You’ll p*ss her off.”

“I was thinking more along the lines of killing him.” he said before he sighed and sat back down next to the other man.

“So the wedding. Is it on or off?” Miles asked again.

Roman dragged his attention away from Ella and Chris missing the part where Ella pulled back and slapped the other man.

“At the moment its off.” He said with a sigh.

“Why?” Miles asked him.

“Well lets see I screwed things up so she’s sulking and making me pay.” Roman muttered.

Miles looked at him quickly.

“You really think that?” he asked shocked.

“Sometimes, I have to admit that it does feel like that sometimes. We haven’t told anyone about the wedding so Nic is starting to champ at the bit about arrangements.” Roman admitted with a sigh.

“Sounds stupid but have you tried talking to her about it?”

Roman looked over at Miles and swore.

“That would be a yes.” He murmured.

“That would be a no.” Roman said shielding his eyes from the glare of the early morning sun. “She makes excuses and then stuff happens with the kids.”

“Well how do you know she hasn’t decided to go ahead with the wedding?” Miles offered.

“Well let me see, she avoids the subject and I believe we just witness her kiss someone else. Yeah, really sounds as though she wants to be with me.” Roman said bitterly and stood up stretching.

“You making me run again?” Miles asked changing the subject.

“Isn’t that what we are supposed to be doing?” Roman said with a wry grin.

Miles groaned and stood up. He too stretched and they set off at a slow pace until they had warmed up. That was when Roman increased their speed. Hearing Miles breathing heavily behind him as he moved to keep up.

“Next time you want to punch someone I’m not going to stop you.” Miles said with a groan.

“Chris you shouldn’t have done that.” Ella said angrily. “I’m married and in love with my husband.” She wiped her mouth and glared at him.

“Sorry.” Chris muttered looking down for a moment. “I couldn’t resist.”

“Did I like give off vibes or something? Roman and I are getting remarried in a matter of months. We have 11 kids between us. Are you really selfish enough to try and split us up?”

Chris looked at her.

“11 kids?” he asked quickly.

“Yes.” She muttered folding her arms around herself. “Including two babies.

“Wow Lizzie, I knew you wanted a family but that is like wow.” He said slowly.

“Yes I wanted a family and you didn’t.” she said. “That was why you walked out on your wife wasn’t it? Her being pregnant. And then you hooked up with me. How many times did you try and get me to give up Mike?”

“I was selfish Lizzie, I regret that I did many things. I’ve changed, although you are not going to believe that.” He said slowly.

“After what you did just now? No I don’t believe it.” Ella said softly.

“I’m sorry. I got the vibe that you weren’t happy the other night and well, it has been a long time since I saw you.” Chris apologised slowly and turned to look out at the view from the end of the pier.

“Marriage takes work Chris.” Ella said slowly moving to stand next to him. “But I am happy with him. He’s my hero.”

Chris laughed and looked at her before putting his arm around her shoulders.

“Come on, let me introduce you to my son.” He said turning around and leading her back to the diner. She fell into step with him a strange smile on her face at how easy it was to do this, to spend time with him again.

“Chris this doesn’t mean anything. You being here in the Bay?” she asked.

He shook his head.

“I have to be honest I did think that running into you was some sort of sign but no, seriously I’m here to spend time with my son. He’s just lost his mother and its time I stepped up as a parent.”

“I’m sorry for his loss.” Ella said slowly.

“But not mine Lizzie?” Chris asked quickly.

“Is it your loss? I got the impression that you discarded her the moment she got pregnant. Which makes me curious. We started trying for a baby Chris, what would have happened if I had gotten pregnant?”

“Ah, the moment of true confession. I told you I was selfish. I should have also told you I was a good for nothing liar.” He murmured slowly paused at the door of the diner.

Ella stopped and looked at him.

“What?” she asked at seeing his expression.

“I’d had a vasectomy.” He confessed. “You couldn’t have got pregnant with me.”

“My god.” Ella gasped out a curious wave of pain washing over her. “So you slept with me knowing I wanted kids pretending you wanted them too?”

He nodded.

“I’m sorry. I know how cruel that was.” He said and pushed open the door.

Ella followed him inside and saw someone standing with Gabby over the other side of the room. She took in the similar features and the comparable height before glancing at Chris.

“Well looks like my son has found the second prettiest woman in the place.” He commented.

“That is so not going to happen.” Ella muttered under her breath. She moved over to stand next to Gabby.

“Hey Mum.” Gabby said quickly. “this is…” she began introducing the man next to her.

“Jacob.” Ella supplied causing Gabby to frown at her.

“That’s right and you must be Lizzie.” He said quickly

“My name is Ella.” Ella said slowly looking at Gabby’s shinning face.

“I’m confused.” He announced looking form one to the other and then at his Dad.

“Her name was Liz. I called her Lizzie but her husband and friends call her Ella.” He said trying not to wince as he pronounced the word husband and then the name Ella. She would always be his little Lizzie, he thought with a smile.

“No one calls me Liz anymore.” Ella said more for Chris’ benefit that his son’s.

Chris grinned.

“So anyway this is my son and by a strange co-incidence.” He began.

Jacob turned to Gabby.

“You are her daughter.” He announced and smiled at Gabby.

Gabby grinned in return and then looked at Ella.

“Mum.” She said quietly.

“Why don’t we get a coffee.” She announced smiling at Gabby. They moved over to a table and ordered coffees from a curious Colleen before talk resumed between them.

“Where do you live Jacob?” she asked him.

“No where at the moment. I’ve just finished college and I’m looking for a job.” He said honestly.

“College?” Ella said a smile on her face as she looked at Gabby.

“Yeah I did teacher training. I want to work with kids.” He said.

Chris smiled at his son and then at Ella.

“Yup, that’s right he takes after his mother.” He announced.

Ella laughed and looked at the door seeing Roman and Miles walking in. She smiled over at him and stood up moving towards them.

“El.” Roman said slowly.

“You need to meet Chris and his son Jacob.” She said quickly.

“I’ve already met Chris remember.” He told her a note of anger in his voice.

She looked questioningly at him before hooking her arm through his and leading him over to the table.

“Jacob, this is my husband Roman. “ Ella announced to the younger man.

“Pleased to meet you sir.” He said standing up and holding out his hand.

Roman looked at his hand before taking it within his own and shaking it. He ignored Miles snigger from behind him at the sir part of the statement.

“And Gabby’s dad.” Ella added softly.

She saw Jacob pale and then look over at Gabby and watched as he smiled again.

“We’re going to have a coffee. Want to join us?” Ella asked him.

“No. II need to get home and get changed. I’ll see you later.” He leaned down to kiss her pausing at the last second when she turned her head and his lips fell to her cheek.

“I’ll see you in a bit.” She promised him and moved to sit back at the table.

Roman nodded and collected the coffee he’d used as an excuse to come into the diner and with Miles walked back outside.

“Well that was interesting.” Miles murmured sipping at his coffee.

“Which bit? The part where they look like happy families or the part where she didn’t even want to kiss me.” Roman muttered and took a long drink out of his cup.

“No I pretty much liked it where he called you Sir.” Miles informed him still grinning. “I mean you, Sir.” He added. “I had no idea that you were that old.”

Roman looked at his friend and wondered why he had never been tempted to hit him before he saw the funny side and grinned despite himself.

Chapter 20

“El.” Roman called walking into the bedroom.

“Hey.” She said sleepily form the bed.

“Are you ok?” he asked quickly.

She nodded.

“Just a bit tired so I came for a lay down while the babies were asleep. Need to talk to you though.” She murmured forcing herself awake and sitting up in the bed.

“What’s the matter?” Roman made his voice sound normal despite the growing anger that was inside him.

“Chris kissed me today.” Ella said quickly before she lost her nerve.

Roman stormed over to the door and yanked it open, he paused in his action and looked back at her.

“Did you respond?” he asked coldly.

Ella looked down for a moment before answering him.

“Yes.” She said thinking of the slap round the face she had delivered to Chris before shouting at him.

Roman muttered something under his breath before storming out of the bedroom and slamming the door behind him.

“Wait.” Ella called out realising what he was thinking. She tried to get out of the bed and her feet tangled in the bedding. She plunged to the floor putting out her hand to stop her headlong fall feeling her wrist bend at a funny angle. Crying out she continued to fall hitting her head on the floor. She felt the impact jolt through her body before a wave of dizziness went over her. Gasping out she sucked in a deep breath feeling a sick dizzy feeling churning around her stomach. Closing her eyes against the nausea she felt blackness calling her and slipped slowly down into it.

Roman heard something as he neared the front door eager to be away from Ella at that moment. He remembered her bewilderment when he revealed to studio to her thinking that he was leaving her and, even, that he had another woman. He sighed and turned around walking back up the stairs. Hearing her moan in the bedroom had him rushing inside.

“El.” He cried out. “Ella, love.”

He rushed around the bed and lifted her off the floor back amongst the pillows.

“Pig.” She hissed biting back nausea.

“Ok.” he agreed with her. “You are going to have one wicked black eye. Can I recommend that you don’t fall on your face next time.” he murmured and saw her give him a weak grin. “El did you lose consciousness?” he asked quickly.

“Only when it went dark.” She muttered lifting her hand to her head.

“Headache?” he asked.

“I’d nod but it hurts and I’d throw up on you.” She said slowly.

“Ok El, I’m taking you to hospital.” He announced. “I’m going to go get the babies.”

“Roman.” Ella reached out and put her hand on his arm.

“What?” he asked quickly.

“I slapped him.” she muttered closing her eyes. “That’s what I meant by responded. I reached out and slapped his smug face.”

“That’s nice to know Ella but it doesn’t really mean anything. You slap me too.” He said but he smiled at her.

She opened her eyes wincing at the influx of light that caused a sudden throbbing pain.

“That better be a joke.” She muttered.

Roman leaned forward and gently kissed her lips.

“Why didn’t you want me to kiss you earlier?” he couldn’t help asking.

“Because I didn’t want your kiss contaminated by him.” she said slowly, frowning at how illogical that sounded.

“Ella Harris I love you.” Roman told his wife smiling at her.

He stood up and moved quickly to the nursery waking Lily and William and lifting them out to the car and turning he quickly moved back up the stairs hearing William screaming at being woken up and smiled thinking of the similarities between him and his mum. He saw Ella slumped back against the pillows and frowned. She looked pale and the dark bruising around her eye was more prominent with the pallor on her face. He noticed more bruising on her forehead along with an egg shaped lump. Swallowing a similar sized lump in his throat he reached down and picked her up carrying her down to the car. Grabbing his phone on the way out he got behind the wheel and drove to the hospital.

Pulling up outside the big utilitarian building he climbed out and lifted her out of the car and carried her inside the building.

“Help please.” He called out.

An orderly moved over to him and motioned for her to be placed on a trolley he wheeled quickly into an examination room. Roman watched which room he went in before spinning around and going back out to the car. He collected Lily lifting her out and to the floor before picking up a still snuffling William in his capsule and taking them inside. He caught sight of Rachel heading into Ella’s room and he followed.

“Ella can you hear me?” Rachel called softly to her.

Ella remained prone on the bed.

“Can you tell me what happened?” Rachel turned round and looked at Roman.

“We were talking and the next thing I know she was like this.” He said quickly not noticing Rachel’s look of concern or that of the orderly from earlier.

“She lost consciousness for a minute before bringing her here.” Roman supplied.

“Ok, it will be best if you take the children to the waiting room.” Rachel told him watching as he left.

She focused her attention on Ella then taking her pulse.

“Doctor do we need to call the police?” the orderly asked. “This is a classic case of domestic abuse.”

Rachel looked up at the other man.

“I’m sorry what did you just say to me? I’ve known this couple for a long time. They are getting married again in three months. There is no way this is abuse.” She said haughtily and saw him visibly take a step back.

She turned her attention back to Ella not noticing the orderly leaving the room. Taking out a capsule of smelling salts from the set of draws at the far end of the room she snapped the small capsule and waved it under Ella’s nose watching as the other woman slowly woke up.

“Hey El, please stop doing this to us. We can’t stand the stress.” Rachel spoke gently drawing Ella’s attention to her. “That’s right keep looking at me.” Rachel added.

Ella moaned as a wash of nausea went through her.

“Roman?” she asked.

“He’s outside.” Rachel murmured a frown appearing on her smooth face. “What happened?” she asked her.

“Fell. Hit.” She began.

Rachel gasped missing Ella finish the sentence with the whispered word, ‘floor’ She moved to the door and out to the nurses station ordering tests, including a cat scan before headign abck into the room.

“Ok Ella can you open your eyes for me please?” Rachel asked softly.

“Light hurts.” Ella moaned but obligingly opened her eyes.

“Do you hurt anywhere else?” Rachel asked.

“Wrist. Bent back.” She murmured.

Rachel bit back an uncomplimentary remark about Roman and focused once more on the patient in front of her. How Roman could have done this she didn’t know.

“Ok.” Rachel said softly. “That is fine. It doesn’t appear broken but we’ll give it an x-ray to make sure.”

Ella lifted her other hand.

“No X-ray.” She muttered.

“We need to make sure El.” Rachel said slowly stroking her hair back from Ella’s face.

“No.” Ella said feeling as though her tongue was three sizes too big for her mouth. “Late.” She mouthed.

“Ella?” Rachel asked catching the woman’s expression.

“Sorry.” Ella said with a quick grin when she saw her meaning sink in. “Not planned. Not sure.” She added. “Tired.”

Rachel sighed.

“Ella Harris what am I going to do with you?” she said softly.

“Name the maternity wing after me?” Ella suggested wryly sounding better as she focused more. “Don’t tell Roman.” She added and lay back flat on the bed closing her eyes.

“Ella.” Rachel said quickly beginning to formulate the question in her mind trying to ask how Ella got hurt.

“Roman.” Ella said again.

“What about him El?” Rachel asked.

“hurt.” She muttered.

“He hurt you?” Rachel questioned her.

She looked back at the other woman seeing that she had fallen asleep rather than into unconsciousness and left her for a moment before heading back to the nurses station to arrange for more tests. She felt anger growing in her and reached for the phone to report the case of domestic abuse to the police.

Archived