A Summer Bay Wedding II

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 50

“Hey.” Roman called looking at Ella as she walked sleepily into the kitchen. “Did you have a good nap?”

She nodded before yawning.

“What have you been up to?” she muttered then looked around the worktops. “Oh.”

“It’s just a practice run.” He explained.

“Making chocolates.” She muttered giving him a glare.

“Yes.” He admitted.

He turned and put his hands on her waist lifting her up and sitting her on the top.

“Hey!” she gasped out.

Roman smiled giving her a look before going over to the fridge and taking out a box and turning back to her.

“Close your eyes and open your mouth.” he instructed.

She looked at him.

“Now the last time you told me to do that I got something unexpected in my mouth….…”

“Ella Harris behave and just do it.” Roman told her with a chuckle.

She gave him another look before obediently closing her eyes and sighing as she opened her mouth. He took out a small chocolate and placed it on her tongue chuckling some more as she gave a small contented moan. She bit into the chocolate her eyes flying open and looking at him.

“Errmmm.” She moaned softly.

“Good?” he asked and saw her nod enthusiastically. “Well these ones are just for you. I’ve been playing with the decorations on the next batch.”

“Wow.” She murmured looking at the box in his hand. “I may never need sex again.”

“In that case I only made the one and you’ve eaten it.” he told her quickly.

“Gimmie.” She ordered reaching for the box.

Roman looked at her as he chuckled and handed over the box to her.

“Thank you.” She said smiling.

“I also decorated the cake.” He admitted.

“Really? You’ve been really busy.” She said softly.

She took out a chocolate and held it between her lips pulling him towards her.

“Uh huh.” He said reading her intention. He lowered his lips to her taking a bite of the chocolate as he kissed her and sighed with happiness when she continued the kiss holding him against her.

“Wow.” He said softly.

“Missed me?” she asked.

He looked down at his hands on her waist and the way he’d moved to stand between her legs pressing himself against her.

“Yes.” He told her softly.

She smiled at him.

“Well that felt nice.” She admitted.

He held her to him resting his head on her shoulder.

“Felt pretty nice to me too.” He admitted.

“I think I might want to move back to out room tonight.”

“Not if you aren’t ready.” He said immediately. “I don’t want you to rush.”

“You don’t want me?” she asked.

He gave a groan and caught hold of her hand guiding it to his hard body and pressing it against him.

“Oh yes I want you.” He confessed in a husky voice. “But I want you to be ok more.”

She gave him a smile.

“I think I might like a cuddle.” She admitted. “If you are ok with that?”

He gave a small groan.

“Oh god yes.” He muttered putting his arms around her again and kissing her.

She gave a laugh as she kissed him

“now let me see the cake.” She instructed.

Roman put his hands once more on her waist and lifted her down to the floor. He took her over to the pantry and opened up one of the cake boxes showing her the cake. He’d used pale cream icing and added a circle of Daisies around the side. Some were painted on with food colouring and some were made of more icing in white and yellow, mixing in with the painted ones and then he’d added some detail to a few of the painted flowers using icing to create a petal or a leaf.

“Is it ok?” he asked.

Ella gave a slow nod.

“What is it?” he asked quickly.

She shook her head at the question.

“El?” he asked.

She shook her head once more and he reached out placing his finger under her chin and lifting her face so he could see her expression. He caught the tears pouring down her face and groaned.

“You hate it.” he muttered.

“No.” she gasped out whispering. “It’s really beautiful.”

“Really?” he questioned.

“It is so beautiful. I love it. I love you. Thank you.” She gasped once more. “Roman it is the most beautiful cake.” She murmured finally. “I’m awe-struck.”

He put the lid back on and lifted out the two cake boxes placing them securely on the top before taking out the cakes. He put the bigger one on the bottom and added the columns that separated them before putting the top cake on them, stacking the two tiers.

“Oh my.” Ella gasped out.

“One last thing.” He confessed before moving to the fridge. He took out a wrapped object and laid it flat on the top before opening the layers of paper. Taking it out slowly he took the daisy chain made out of icing and draped that on the cake carefully.

“Oh my stars.” Irene called out walking into the kitchen. “That is amazing.”

“Mama.” Lily called out.

“Hello Lily girl.” Ella said to her daughter bending down and picking her up.

“Nap Mama?” Lily asked.

“Do you want sleeps little girl?”

“Been busy.” Lily said.

“Missing anyone?” George asked his daughter walking in with William.

“Nope don’t thinks so.” Ella told him with a grin. “You found it you keep it.”

“Mamma no Liam.” Lily said frowning at her.

“It’s alright my sweet girl Mama loves Liam too.” Roman told her taking hold of William from his father-in-law and looked lovingly at Ella.

“Tell me that you bought that cake because Colleen will be so jealous.” Irene murmured.

“No Irene. My husband did that.” Ella told her smiling proudly.

“Team effort. My wife cooked the cake I just decorated it.” Roman murmured putting his arm around Ella.

“It’s beautiful.” Ella said quietly.

“Pretty.” Lily added pointing to it.

“Yes it is.” Irene said.

“Thank you for looking after the terrors.” Ella told them.

“We’s not terrors.” Lily denied frowning at Ella.

She grinned at her daughter and kissed her before lowering her to the floor.

“Go select a film to watch.” She instructed her.

Lily ran off.

“She can read already?” George asked in surprise.

“No she can see the pictures on the front of the dvd cases.” Roman supplied.

“For a minute I thought she was like this one.” George murmured.

“Daddy.” Ella groaned.

“You could read at two?” Roman asked her.

“No I was 3.” Ella muttered looking at the floor.

“Cool.” Roman said smiling. “I love finding out this stuff about you.”

“Yeah yeah!” Ella told him. “Laugh it up Mr Muffles.”

Roman groaned.

“Mr Muffles? Is that a new name for him?” Irene asked her.

“Oh no.” Ella denied.

“This one Mama.” Lily cried running towards them with a dvd in her hands.

Roman caught sight of the picture on the box and laughed.

“Finding Nemo?” he asked.

“Dory funny.” Lilly nodded.

“Just keep swimming.” Ella quoted.

“Jus’ Keep Swimming.” Lily called out laughing running back to the lounge.

“Ella Harris.” Roman called out as she moved to follow her daughter. “Just how many times have you replaced that film?”

Ella shrugged.

“I have no idea what you are talking about.” She said reaching for her chocolates before taking William from him. She leaned up and kissed his cheek before going after Lily.

Roman smiled watching her walk away from him.

“She’s looking brighter.” Irene commented.

Roman nodded carefully disassembling the cake and putting it away.

“She is.” He found himself agreeing. “Now how about a cuppa?” he asked the other couple.

“No thanks. I’m going to take Irene over to see Leah.” George told him. “And then out to dinner. Danni said she’s picking up the children.”

Roman nodded before reaching for juice and pouring it out into beakers for the children.

“Thanks for taking care of the kids so much.” He said to them.

“Its no bother Darl, we’ve loved it.” Irene told him coming over and patting his arm. “Haven’t we?” she asked George.

He nodded.

“Young Georgie is the spit of how Michael used to be.” He told Roman not noticing the other man paling at the pronouncement.

“And who reminds you of Ella?” Roman asked surprised his voice sounded normal.

“Meggy.” George shot back immediately.

“And to think it’s Sophie who slams doors and throws things.” Roman joked quickly.

George laughed.

“Come on Mister.” Irene said tugging him to the door.

Roman watched them move out before he walked into the lounge. He saw Ella curled up on the sofa with William and Lily.

“We’ve saved you some space.” She said quietly.

He looked at her and she nodded reading his mind again. She’d been distant from both babies since the miscarriage..

“Well then.” He said placing the drinks on the table. He reached for a chocolate and felt her slap his hand.

“I said I saved you some space not help yourself.”

“I’m your husband and you won’t let me have one.” He murmured pouting.

“No.” she said bluntly.

He sat on the sofa and looked at her.

“Ok?” he asked kissing her.

She nodded.

“But you’re still not having one of my chocolates.” She told him.

He smiled settling down next to her feeling strangely nervous about putting his arm around her until she rested her head on his shoulder snuggling up to him. He lifted William on to his lap before wrapping his arm around her. He heard her sigh with contentment and smiled, his smile turning into a chuckle as she fell asleep in his arms before the film finished.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 51

“Hey.” He whispered softly.

Ella sniffed and buried her face in the pillow trying to pretend she was asleep.

“Ella. I know you are not asleep.” He told her.

She rolled over and looked at the ceiling before looking at him.

“It’s ok.” he murmured. “I want you to stop blaming yourself and just relax with me.”

Ella sighed.

“How can it be ok because I’m pretty sure that was a disaster.” She muttered.

“I’m pretty sure I got to kiss and hold my beautiful wife and we made love.”

“Until it went horrible.” She told him in response.

“Felt pretty wonderful to me and maybe next time it will be better.” He said slowly trying to choose his words carefully. “Maybe next time it will be better for her too.”

Ella shook her head and rolled over.

“Don’t do this to me Ella. I love you and if we never make love again of course I will be gutted but I would rather have my wife happy and ok. “

“I can’t ok. Don’t ask me to accept that we are ok.”

“We are ok Ella. Remember after Sammy was born.” He muttered rubbing a hand across his face.

“What about it?” she said a note entering her voice.

“We took some time to make love again. This is just the same. We’ll make love eventually and if we don’t as long as I get to hold you I’ll be happy.” He told her.

“I don’t think so. I’m not going to keep you to a half marriage.” She said rolling over.

“Ella Harris. I’m getting angry at you right now. Two years you put up with me being less than a husband. You think I should give you any less time?”

“Its different for a man.”

“How is it different for a man?” Roman asked her trying to keep his tone gentle.

“Because you have needs.” She muttered flushing.

“Needs?” he asked.

“Yes.” She bit out. “You are going to get frustrated and it’s going to get horrible.”

“Wait, is that why you are here because you think my needs require satisfying?” he asked her frowning.

“No of course not.” She muttered feeling extremely embarrassed. “But you are going to get…”

“Aroused?” he supplied when she stopped talking.

She nodded unable to make eye contact with him

“Well that does happen a lot with you around.” He told her with a half smile on his face.

“Exactly.” She muttered trying to roll away. “And then you’ll get frustrated.”

“Ella.” He called out reaching out for her. He dragged her back to him and pinned her against the bed. “Will you talk to me?” he asked. “What is going on with you?”

“I’m useless ok.” she said angrily. “I’m useless as a woman. I can’t have kids.”

“El?” he asked softly.

“Yes that’s right Rachel told me not to risk having more kids.” She shouted at him.

“And you kept that from me? You were going to let me make love to you without protection?” he snarled out rolling over and away from her. Taking a deep breath he let it out between his lips before turning back to her and pulling her into his arms. “You were going to risk it weren’t you?” he asked. “You silly girl.”

He held her in his arms tightly feeling her shake as she began to cry.

“Ella shush.” He murmured. “Its ok.”

“No.” she gasped out.

He climbed back in bed with her pulling the covers tightly around them before wrapping her in his arms.

“Ella I love you.” He told her gently. “I want my wife. I don’t want another baby. We have wonderful children.”

She shook her head.

“No because I want a baby.” She told him. “I want my baby back.”

“Ella.” He called her name softly and held her as she cried out her grief. Eventually she fell asleep in his arms.

Roman looked over at Ella sitting outside in the dark. She’d spent the day in bed pleading a headache but he’d known it was to avoid the children and to stop the conversation they needed to have. He saw her shiver and moved outside with the throw draping it around her shoulders.

“Ella.” He murmured her name.

“I know what you are going to say.”

“Amazing.” He said sarcastically. “Because I don’t know what I’m going to say.”

“I lied to you.” She began.

“Only by omission.” He pointed out.

He moved to sit on the seat beside her and took her cold hands within his own.

“You’ll catch a chill.” He murmured.

“I’m fine.” She responded resisting the urge to pull her hands away from him.

“No Ella you are hurting. And there is something else.”

She shook her head biting her lip even as tears sprang into her eyes.

“Ella.” He whispered lifting her from her seat and placing her on his lap.

“I hate you.” She muttered angrily.

“Why?”

“You promised that he wasn’t going to hurt me.” She gasped out the words she had been holding inside since being told the baby was gone.

“And you know I would have done anything except let him hurt you. But I wasn’t able to stop him El. I should have taken so much more care of you.”

She gave a hiccuping sob before turning in his arms and clinging on to him.

“I want our baby back.”

“I know you do.” Roman said quietly. “But you need to accept that the baby is gone.”

“I don’t want to.” Ella moaned.

“El.” Roman murmured.

He tilted her head up and kissed her.

“Time to say goodbye Ella. Let the baby go.”

She shivered in his arms and nodded wiping at her tears.

He eased her off his lap and guided her back into the house.

“I should go see the children.” She said slowly.

“They missed you today.” He commented. “And you should eat something too.”

“Can I have cheese on toast.” She asked suddenly.

Roman grinned.

“Go see the kids then.” He murmured.

She eased up on tiptoe and kissed him.

“Thank you.” She said softly.

He watched her head up the stairs before moving into the kitchen and preparing the food. He plated it up and added a garnish of salad. Taking out the jug of juice from the fridge he poured out two glasses before taking them through to the dinning table.

“Thank you.” Ella said once more coming to sit with him.

“You’re welcome.” He said softly.

“Georgie was reading again.”

“Sammy will be tired in the morning.” Roman muttered.

Ells nodded.

“I was thinking now that Danni has moved in with Mike we could move Sophie and Georgie down into their own rooms.” She said slowly.

Roman tried to hide his smile.

“Planning on putting one of them in Gabby’s room?” he asked.

She shook her head.

“Well I’m not sharing with them so that much mean you are planning to move back into out room.”

Ella looked at him from under her lashes.

“Maybe.” She said softly.

He smiled at her.

“Just so you know I made a trip into the pharmacy today.” He said softly.

“so no chance of…” she caught sight of his smouldering gaze.

“No.” he murmured. “I love my wife too much to risk it.”

“Still love her even after today?”

Roman nodded leaning forward and kissing her.

“I’m always going to love her.” he promised.

Ella gave him a smile before leaning forward and kissing him.

Chapter 52

“Mum!” Sophie called out.

Ella walked into her room and looked at her daughter.

“Yes?” she asked.

“Is this one mine or Angels?” she muttered looking at the dress on the padded hanger.

Ella reached over for it and passed it to her.

“You and Angel have the same size dress. “ Ella told her. “Now stop making a fuss and try it on.”

Sophie pouted and pulled on the dress spinning around and looking in the mirror before looking over at Meggy.

“I suppose I better try on mine.” Meggy muttered looking at her feet.

Ella moved over to her and helped her with the dress before handing Angel hers. She went and collected Lily from the nursery and put her dress on her.

“Did someone ask for bridesmaids?” Amy-Belle said coming into the room with Danni and Gabby. Nic and Belle followed with Nic picking up the dress for Mira and putting it on her little girl smiling as she ran over to stand with Lily.

“Dresses are over there.” Ella told them. “And for my lovely maids I will give you a sneak peak at the dress.”

She moved into the en suite and changed into her wedding gown before coming out and seeing all of the others in their dresses.

“Er Ella.” Gabby muttered. “You appear to have dresses left over.”

“I know they made too many so I have the extras.” Ella said with a shrug,

“Mummy you look like a princess.” Sophie said with a smile.

“Sorry I should have said something before talking about the dresses.” Gabby grimaced still nervous about being there. “You really look special.”

“Thank you girls.” Ella said to them. “Now we need to talk hair.”

“Are we having flowers?” Danni grinned and eased down on the bed being extra careful not to wrinkle the dress. Lily walked over to her and lifted her hands up indicating she wanted to be picked up.

“Or Tiaras?” Sophie said with a grin.

“You are having Daisy Chains.” Ella told them. “And these.” She added reaching into her dresser and handing out a gift bag to each of the girls. She heard excited muttering as they looked inside and saw the jewellery boxes. Sophie was the first to open hers and saw the silver chain with the Daisy charm on. It was silver with a small diamond in the centre of the flower.

“Mummy.” Meggy gasped looking at hers.

“It’s traditional to give my bridesmaids a gift as a thank you.” Ella said and moved over to the bed. She smoothed down the lace skirt of her dress and sat down carefully.

“Thank you.” Angel said coming over to her and hugging her.

“Are they ok? I wanted to get something that matched. Oh, and I got you each a clutch bag.” Ella added standing once more and moving over to the wardrobe. She took out a shopping bag and handed out the small handbags. They were smooth satin in the same shade as the dresses with a catch that was in the shape of a daisy.

“Ella.” Belle exclaimed looking at the necklace.

“Oh wow Mum.” Danni said softly. “Everything matches.” She muttered softly.

“Yes, the only thing is I haven’t matched up the shoes. I’m wearing these.” Ella picked out the box with her shoes in. They were silver high strappy sandals. “I was thinking that it might be nice to have similar ones.”

“To yours?” Gabby asked. “I don’t think I could walk in them.”

Ella giggled.

“I’m not sure I can yet. It may take me an hour just to walk down the aisle.”

“Is my daddy doing the wedding?” Angel asked. “Because I may just warn him that he needs to take a chair in with him.”

Ella smiled and then shrugged.

“I don’t know. Roman said he wanted your daddy to be a guest. He said he found a stand in chaplain to do the service.” She explained.

Nic walked out of the en suite with her dress on.

“He’s been secretive about that. We have no idea who the chaplain is.” She murmured looking at her daughters and then glancing at Ella. “Wow step mama.” She gasped out looking once more at Ella in her dress.

Danni reached into the box and took out one of the shoes to look at.

“Ella.” She muttered her mother’s name. “Are you really planning on spending the entire day in these?”

“Oh no. I normally kick them off after five minutes.”

“But Roman has a thing for you in high heels.” Belle said softly glancing as Ella blushed.

“So anyway how are we going to do this?” Nic asked.

“Well Millie, Lily and Mira in front walking down the aisle.” Ella said frowning.

“Then us?” Sophie asked. “We could make sure the little ones are ok?”

Ella looked at her and nodded.

“Belle and I together.” Nic said and saw Belle nod.

“Us.” Danni said looking at Gabby and Amy-Belle before focusing on the shoes. “Ella I want to see you walk in these.”

Ella grinned and reached for the shoes slipping them on her feet. She stood up slowly and took a cautious step.

“Ok I think I might go with something lower.” She confessed biting her lip.

She took another few steps and groaned when her ankle twisted.

“Careful.” Nic said rushing to her side.

“I’m ok it’s still a little sore from…”

“These necklaces at beautiful.” Belle interrupted focusing them on something else as Ella eased out of the shoes. She put them back in the box and tucked them inside the wardrobe.

“We all need shoes then.” Amy-Belle announced.

“Mama shoes!” Lily cried lifting her foot up and wriggling her toes.

“Yes moppet.” Ella told her daughter.

“What colour?” Sophie asked. “Because I’ve seen some gold ones.”

“Those sandals?” Angel asked her and saw Sophie nod.

“Where did you see them?” Gabby asked her gently.

“I have a magazine.” Sophie said shyly. “I bought it with my pocket money.”

“Want to go get it Sophie?” Ella asked her coming over and kissing her daughter.

She nodded and grabbed hold of Angel the two of them rushing out of the room.

“Are you ok?” Amy-Belle asked Ella.

She gave the girl a nod before moving into the en suite and changing out of her wedding dress coming out a moment later in her jeans and top before hanging her dress away in the wardrobe.

“So do you like the bags and everything?” Ella asked them.

“Ella it’s a designer bag.” Nic gasped out looking at it as she carefully held it in her hands. “And it will match with at least three other outfits I have.”

Belle giggled.

“Well I never thought I would wear yellow but this is nice. I like the belt detail.” She murmured touching the pale golden ribbon around the high waist.

Ella nodded.

“I wanted something that would go with everyone.” She tried to explain.

“It’s lovely.” Danni said. “What do you think Amy-Belle?”

“I like it.” she said nervously stroking down the dress.

”You do look like a Princess.” Ella told her softly.

Amy-Belle giggled remembering Nic’s wedding long ago.

“Me Princess too.” Lily cried out.

“Yes you are, my little Princess.” Ella told her lifting her up and hugging her. “You’re quiet Meggy.”

“I was thinking.” Meggy told her.

“What were you thinking sweets?” Nic asked her sister.

“How I want my hair. Mummy I want my hair cut.”

“Really Megs?” Ella asked.

She nodded.

“I like long hair but its really a lot of work and I don’t want you to fuss at the wedding so if it were short. Then you wouldn’t have so much to do.”

“Ah Meggy that is so sweet.” Danni cried out.

“I don’t have a lot to do Megs honey, I have a nice lady coming to our hair and make-up. But if you do want it cut then after the wedding we’ll go and check out what you want.”

“We get our hair done too?” Nic asked her.

“Of course. I’ve been booked into the Sands for the night before.” Ella said, unaware that she was wrinkling her nose up at the mention of the hotel. “So we are meeting there and getting ready in the hotel suite.”

“Wow.” Meggy gasped out.

“Roman is doing this properly.” Belle commented.

Ella looked up at her in shock.

“So that is what he is doing.” She murmured quietly.

“Didn’t you know?” Nic asked her.

Ella shook her head.

“I never wanted a big wedding.” She tried to explain.

“Well you have one now.” Gabby said and then bit her lip at how bitter her tone sounded.

“I guess I do.” Ella said quietly once more. “But hey, I get to have a hen night.”

“True.” Belle said with a laugh.

She put her necklace away next to the handbag just as Sophie and Angel burst in the room. Sophie shyly handed over the magazine to her mother.

“Weddings Sophie?” she asked her.

“I liked looking at the pictures of the dresses.” She murmured blushing prettily.

Ella smiled and looked at the shoes she pointed out.

“Wow.” Nic gasped. “We do those.” She explained.

“Ok staff discount.” Danni said.

Gabby and Belle laughed at the expression on Nic’s face.

“I like these Sophie.” Ella told her daughter.

“Really?”

Ella nodded.

“Nic can you get us these?”

Nic took the magazine and looked at them.

“Yes, I’ll have to contact the stockist to see if they go down to Lily and Mira’s size.” She said slowly.

“That’s sorted then. Now back to hair and I was thinking down with curls.” Ella began.

“Me no curls.” Lily said quickly. “Liam curls.”

“I know babes Liam has curls.” Ella murmured to her daughter.

Nic smiled.

“How much is she going to kill him later for having curly hair?” Belle asked.

“Oh a lot.” Ella smiled lifting the dress off her daughter and putting her clothes back on. “There you go. Off to see Liam?”

Lily nodded.

“Do you mean ringlets?” Nic asked changing Mira and setting her down so she could follow Lily.

Ella nodded.

“That will be cool.” Sophie said excitedly.

Meggy looked at her.

“Jeez it’s still weeks away Soph.” She muttered causing Belle to laugh at her.

“Meggy.” Ella said softly standing up and changing her dress making sure to put the bridesmaids dresses back on their padded hangers in Roman’s section of the wardrobe.

“I want to keep mine on.” Sophie said with a pout before slipping out of it and pulling on her other dress.

“I know you do but I don’t want to have to get it cleaned before the wedding.”

Angel nodded and did likewise and the two girls handed over their dresses.

“We should do the same.” Danni suggested.

“I’m going to go downstairs and organise some drinks.”

“Is it ok to take Angel to our room?” Sophie asked.

Ella nodded and smiled as they rushed away before heading down the stairs. She paused halfway feeling slightly light headed before continuing and heading through to the kitchen breaking out the wine.

Chapter 53

Ella woke slowly feeling the room spinning. She gave a groan and rolled over.

“Too much wine?” Roman asked coming out of the en suite he had white shaving foam over part of his face and was dressed only in a pair of shorts.

“I didn’t have any.” She murmured.

“Hey.” he said moving over to her side.

“I’m fine.” She told him.

“Not that fine. El, you’ve gone really pale.” He said softly lifting his hand and placing it on her forehead.

“Hey.” She muttered pushing his hand away and vaulting out of the bed to the bathroom. He heard her throw up and groaned before heading down stairs and fetching a bottle of cold water from the fridge. He handed it to her and watch as she took some cautious sips.

“Ok?” he asked.

She nodded weakly and stood up moving back to the bed.

“Maybe we should cancel tonight?” he suggested referring to the dinner they had planned with her father and Irene, his parents and her brother Nate and his wife.

“We can’t ” Ella said pulling the covers up and snuggling down. “Nate is nervous enough about meeting my dad.”

“Well you can’t go if you’ve picked up a bug.” he pointed out.

“I’ll be fine. Jus’ need sleep.” She mumbled pulling the cover up over her head and burrowing into them.

Sighing he reached out and pulled the covers down long enough to kiss her before putting them back.

“See to babies.” She instructed.

“Yes your highness anything else while I’m at it?”

“Laundry needs doing.” She told him.

“I was joking.” He pointed out.

“What happened to helping me out more around the house?” she mumbled.

Roman smiled and patted the cover just about where her behind was.

“Fine.” He said with a sigh and heard her giggle.

Moving back into the bathroom he finished his shave and rinsed off the remaining foam. He pulled on a T-shirt before sitting on the bed to tug on his trainers.

“Want anything?” he asked softly.

“No I’m fine.” She mumbled once more. “Jus’ going to sleep a bit.”

He smiled before easing out of the room and into the nursery. Lily looked up at him and gave him a smile.

“Hey Lily.” He murmured greeting her.

“Poorly.” She told him.

He moved over to her and placed his hand on her head.

“Ah baby.” He said softly.

“Liam poorly.” She told him.

He moved over to his son and checked him.

“Ok. its medicine time.” he said quietly.

“Yuk” Lily responded.

“Stay here ok. I need to get everyone ready for school and then I’ll come back and take care of you.”

“Lily sleeps.”

“Yeah Mummy sleeps too.” He commented and grinned as Lily nodded gravely.

“Mama poorly?” she asked him.

“Yes.” He replied. “Although she sleeps a lot anyway.” He muttered.

Lily giggled before lying back down and pulling up the covers.

He walked out and down the stairs putting on the kettle to make coffee for himself before heading into the utility room. He spotted the laundry she mentioned immediately and began separating the colours into loads before putting a load through into the washer.

“Daddy.” Sammy called out.

“I’m here.” He murmured walking back through to the kitchen.

“Can I have some toast?” he asked him.

Roman smiled at his son and began making breakfast. For them sorting out bowls for Sophie’s museli and toast for Sammy, Meggy and Georgie. He poured out juice for them and put the drinks on the table.

Georgie and Meggy walked into the dinning room together talking quietly about something.

“What’s up?” he asked them as they sat at the table.

“Nothing.” They chorused.

“Ok then.” Roman told them.

“Where is Mummy?” Meggy asked quickly.

“In bed. She and the babies have come down with a bug.” He explained.

”Oh no.” Meggy said looking at him

“Is she going to be ok?” Sammy asked quickly.

Roman nodded.

“She’s fine just sleeping it off. We are still planning to go out tonight.”

“Ok.” It was Georgie who spoke. “Who is looking after us?”

“Danni and Mike.” Roman answered.

“Not Gabby?” Meggy asked him.

“No.” Roman gave his daughter a look. “Why?” He asked her.

“We want to know if you’ve forgiven her yet?” Georgie spoke once more

“Thank Georgie I was expecting your Mother to be the one who started nagging me.” Roman said softly. “I’m not sure I can forgive her she said some horrible things about your Mum.”

“But if Mum has forgiven her.”

“Good point Meggy. But no. It’s going to take more time for me to do the same.” Roman tried to explain.

Meggy nodded gravely before sinking back onto her chair.

“Morning.” Sophie called walking into the kitchen. She made her way to the dinning table and poured out museli into her bowl. “Anybody know why Gabby isn’t well?” she asked.

“Probably the same as Mummy.” Georgie said quickly trying not to make eye contact with anybody.

“Oh is Mummy sick?” Sophie asked.

Meggy nodded.

“And the babies.” She announced.

“Is everybody ready for school?” Roman asked.

Meggy nodded.

“I even did all of my homework.” She said with a comical expression.

Roman hid a grin.

“Well hurry up and finish breakfast.” Roman told them glancing at his watch. “And then I want you to go brush your teeth and wash up for school.”

He left them to it taking up the medicine and drinks for the babies.

“What do you know George Joseph Harris?” Sophie asked her twin as soon as Roman was out the room.

“Nothing.” He said quickly aware that his voice was high-pitched and squeaky.

“Of course not.” Sophie murmured giving him a look.

“Ok but you have to swear not to tell and this means you too Meggy.”

“We swear.” They chorused.

“Gabby is pregnant.” He said with a sigh.

“Oh god and now I have to see Jacob.” Meggy cried out. “He’s going to know that I know.”

“He doesn’t know. Gabby is planning to go away after the wedding.” Georgie told them the rest.

“Mum will be upset.”

“I know that is why we have to get Daddy to forgive her.” Georgie said. “So she’ll stay.”

Meggy nodded gravely looking around the others.

“Do we need to get Gabby and Jacob back together?” she asked.

“I don’t know.” Georgie commented.

“I think we should do like we did for Mum and Dad.” Sophie murmured.

“You mean get them together?” Sammy asked. “Seems like we have a spy here.”

“No.” Meggy muttered. “Mummy wouldn’t like me spying on him. He’s my teacher.” She said quickly.

“Ok Megs.” Sammy murmured and then lifted his finger to his lips.

Roman eased into the kitchen and picked up his cup taking a sip of the Luke warm coffee.

“Time to go. Get ready.” He murmured.

They raced out and upstairs leaving the table in chaos. Roman groaned before he went around the table collecting plates and putting things away. He stacked the dishwasher and put it on while he waited for the children to come down the stairs.

“Hurry up.” He called glancing at his watch again.

“See I told you we missed breakfast.” Mike called out to Danni walking into the room behind him.

“Have you heard of shopping?” Roman asked him.

“Yes but have you heard of uni.” Mike shot back.

“You’d have to go shopping if you lived somewhere else.” Roman told him. “Seems like we should be charging you rent.”

Mike grinned.

“Daddy.” Sammy called.

“Saved by the kid.” Roman told Mike and moved to the front door. “What’s the matter?”

“I need my sports kit.” Sammy murmured.

“Sammy.” Roman groaned and moved up the stairs to their room. He searched for a minute before finding the kit and ran back down the stairs handing it to his son.

“Thanks Daddy.” He muttered.

“Ok in the car.” Roman told them watching as they climbed into the car.

Chapter 54

“Ella you look fine.” Roman murmured as he sat on the bed and pulled on his shoes.

“No I don’t.” she moaned looking in the mirror again. She pressed her hands on her stomach and tried to smooth the dress down.

“Really.” He told her. “You look great.”

She spun around and looked at him.

“This is my favourite dress and it doesn’t fit.” She muttered.

“So you need to lose weight.” He shrugged. “I think you look amazing.”

“Roman Harris never ever tell a woman she needs to lose weight.” Ella screeched at him.

He gave her a look and then sighed as she stripped off the dress and threw it at him.

He moved the dress away from his face and looked at her.

“Yeah, you should go like that.” He commented grinning as he saw her in a cream lacy basque and lace topped stockings complete with a miniature lace thong. His eyes travelled over her figure and he couldn’t help the grin that crept on to his face.

She gave him a look and strode over to the wardrobe pulling out more dresses. He stood from the bed and moved over to her putting his hands on top of hers, stilling her actions.

“The dress looked fine.” He said softly.

“It may have looked fine to you but it didn’t to me. It didn’t fit me here or here.” She gestured to two places on her body and he couldn’t hide the smile on his face.

“They really are bigger aren’t they.” He murmured looking down.

“Stop.” She muttered. “You are making me self conscious about them.” she moaned.

“They are beautiful. You fed my baby’s with them. I love them.” he murmured softly. “I love to kiss them and caress them.” he added slowly. “And you look amazing. I’m not just saying that because I’m a man I’m saying that because I’m your husband, I love your body just as much as I love your beautiful intelligent mind.”

“Ok you are definitely getting sex later.” She told him blinking back tears. “But now I need to put on clothes.”

“I wish you didn’t.” he told her.

“You are no help.” she muttered.

Roman sighed and looked at the selection of clothes in the wardrobe. He took out a dress and held it up.

“No.” she said barely looking at it.

“Ella.” He muttered laying it on the bed carefully and picking up another.

“That will mean I have to change my underwear. It’s a halter neck.”

He tilted his head to one side as he considered that before discarding the dress with the other one and taking out a scarlet red one. He looked at it before putting it with the other one.

“What was wrong with that?” she asked him.

“Far too sexy. I don’t want every man in the place looking at you.” He told her.

She laughed.

He took out a white dress with large red flowers on and held it up.

“Why don’t you wear this?” he asked her.

“Because it’s a maternity dress.” She told him quietly a measure of distress in her voice.

“Oh.” He said and placed it on the bed before looking at the rest of the selection. “This one?” he asked holding up a dark blue dress.

She nodded and took it from him stepping into the en suite to get changed.

He looked at the floral dress again before hanging them back in the wardrobe. He found his hand trembled just a little when he touched the floral dress before he straightened up and waited by the bedroom door.

“Well?” she asked coming out of the bathroom.

His eyes travelled over her and he smiled slowly.

“Very nice.” He said slowly. “Just one thing.”

He walked over to her and reached up for the grips in her hair pulling them out and loosening the long strands letting them fall down her back.

“Much better.” He said quietly. “Are you ready?”

She glared at him before nodding and moving out of the bedroom door and down the stairs.

“Mummy.” Meggy cried out looking at her. “You look beautiful.”

“Thank you Meggy.” Ella said softly smiling at her daughter.

“Yeah Mum you look great.” Mike said quietly.

She blushed looking over at Roman.

“Are we ready?” George asked his daughter.

Ella nodded.

“Please be nice to Nate.” She said quietly to her father..

He gave her a smile.

“Off course I will.”

“Come on then Darl’s “ Irene murmured leading them through the door. She took the keys out of her bag and sat behind the wheel as they climbed inside. She drove them to the restaurant catching sight of Roman and Ella sitting in the back seat of the car. Roman taking hold of Ella’s hand and pressing a kiss to the palm distracting her from her thoughts.

“I promise not to hit him if that helps.” George told his daughter.

“It’s not that.” She said quickly. “It’s that he’s had a hard enough time accepting what his Dad did to Mum.”

George sighed.

“It’s ok Princess.” He told her.

She sighed and caught Roman looking at her.

“Now you’ve sorted out him how are you going to stop me and my mother having a row.”

“Don’t you start.” Ella muttered rolling her eyes. “I thought you’d sorted that out.” she added glaring at him.

“Oh we have.” He said smiling at her. “We haven’t talked about her paying Natalie and lying to me and everyone else for 20 years.”

“Great so my Dad is going to thump Nate and you are going to slap your mother. I should have stayed at home.” She muttered biting her lip worriedly.

Roman grinned and leaned over and kissed her before easing a lock of hair behind her ear.

“It’s going to be ok.” he said softly.

She gave him a look her sapphire blue eyes huge in her pale face and he bit back a grin at the sight of her freckles standing out prominently on her cute nose. He could see why Meggy reminded George so much of Ella now, looking at his beautiful wife.

They eased out of the car and into the restaurant sitting at the bar as they waited for the others.

“Ella.” Nate called out walking in with Suzy. He was holding his wife’s hand as he led her over to them.

“Hey. It’s been too long.” Ella gasped out tears springing into her eyes.

She jumped up from her seat and hugged her brother before hugging Suzy.

“Certainly has.” Nate agreed. “But don’t worry little Sis we’ll be around for a while.”

“Really?” she asked.

He nodded.

“We’re moving back home.” He announced.

“Wow.” Ella muttered throwing her arms around him excitedly.

Roman coughed dramatically and she groaned turning around and looking at him.

“Ok, this is George my Dad.” Ella began introducing them. “And his lovely wife Irene.”

“How do you do Sir.” Nate said holding out his ahdn to the older man.

George looked at him and gave a small smile before shaking his hand.

“Obviously this is Nate and his wife Suzy.” Ella finished.

“Hello Darls.” Irene said quietly.

“Nice to meet you.” Suzy told them.

“Do you want a drink?” George asked them and saw them nod. He ordered the drinks for them and they moved to a table sitting around it.

“So come on tell me everything.” Ella instructed Nate.

He gave a laugh and began to tell her about his job in Hong Kong and what he and Suzy had been doing.

“What you thinking?” Roman asked George seeing a pensive look on the other man’s face.

“How happy she is with him.” George confessed.

“I guess it’s rough seeing them together knowing what his father did to your first wife.” Irene said to him.

George nodded.

“But it’s more than that. It’s also Michael.” He sighed.

“Missing him Daddy?” Ella asked picking up on the conversation.

He nodded.

“I guess that I’ve got another son now anyway.” He said slowly looking at Nate.

“Really? You don’t hate me?” Nate burst out with.

Suzy gave a husky laugh and took hold of her husband’s hand.

“No son. You are not responsible for what your father did no matter how much I wanted to punch you earlier.” George told him.

Ella gave a laugh.

“Thank you Daddy.” She murmured.

“You’re welcome Princess.” He replied.

“He calls you Princess?” Nate asked. “How embarrassing is that?”

“Oh a lot.” Ella muttered giving her dad a glare.

George smiled at her unrepentantly.

Roman grinned and then looked over at the entrance seeing his parents walk in. He stood up from his seat and walked over to them.

“Dad.” He called out giving Marco a hug and then after giving her a long look he put his arms cautiously around his mother. “Can I get you a drink?” he asked.

“No thanks.” They chorused.

“Come and meet everyone then.” He said guiding them over to the table they had commandeered.

“This is Marco and Alyssa my parents and these are George and Irene and Nate and Suzy.”

He murmured smoothly.

“Shall we go to the table?” Ella asked everyone seeing a few nods. She eased up form the seat feeling a little light headed again taking a deep breath before steeping over to Roman’s side and taking hold of his hand as they walked through to the restaurant

“You ok?” he asked quietly.

She gave him a look.

“Yeah fine.” She said but didn’t sound convinced.

He nodded and leaned over and kissed her cheek as they walked through to the dinning room his hand securely placed in her back, pulling out the chair for her to sit before taking the seat next to her.

His parents sat next to him, with George and Irene sitting opposite them leaving Nate to sit next to Ella with Suzy the other side of him.

He saw the expression on Ella’s face and smiled feeling her hand on his leg before he caught hold of it within his own.

Chapter 55

Ella stirred briefly when the car pulled up outside the house coming fully awake when Roman carried her inside.

“Hey you.” He said softly laying her on the bed.

“Hey yourself.”

She sat up and eased his jacket off handing it back to him.

“Thanks. Did you have a good time tonight? You didn’t eat much.”

“It was good but I don’t feel that well actually.” She murmured and caught his disappointed look. “What?”

“I was hoping for a cuddle.” He said quietly.

“Uh huh. More than a cuddle if that disappointed look is anything to go by.” She said softly.

“Maybe.” He said leaning down and kissing her.

She put her arms around his neck and held him to her prolonging the kiss her hands caressing the back of his neck.

“Nice.” He murmured easing away.

“I need to check on the children.” She told him easing off the bed.

He smiled moving back to let her walk past him.

“Mike told me they went straight to bed.” He told her watching the way her hips moved as she walked around the bed and over to the door.

“Now that is scary. I wonder what is going on with them.” Ella said.

“Why must something be going on just because our kids behave… ok your right.” He admitted at her look.

She giggled before holding her hand out to him.

Standing up from the bed he dropped his jacket to the floral cover and took hold of her hand wrapping his arms tight around her.

“Want to talk to me Harris?” she asked him.

“Nope.” he muttered wondering just how the hell she managed to pick up vibes from him so easily.

“Really?” she asked.

He sighed pressing his lips to her head as he held her.

“The dress.” He muttered.

“The maternity one?”

“Yes. I just felt really sad. I know we have wonderful kids El but.” He stopped unable to put his feelings into words let alone construct a sentence.

“It’s ok.” she said softly. “I know.”

“Love you El and I can’t face losing you again.”

“I know my husband.” She whispered kissing him.

She eased away from him and kicked off her shoes to walk in stocking clad feet into the nursery. She moved to Lily’s bed stroking Fudge the cat before easing the cover up over her daughter.

“Mama home.” Lily whispered.

“Yes my sweets Mama home.” Ella told her softly pressing a kiss to her daughter’s head. “Lily sleeps.”

“Sleeps.” Lily murmured rolling over and snuggling up to the cat.

Ella smiled at her before walking over to William. She eased up the cover over him and grinned when he kicked it off.

“He is my son isn’t he?” Roman murmured from behind her.

Ella nodded.

“He’s never kept a cover on.” She said quietly.

He smiled and held out his hand to her as they eased out of the nursery and up the stairs to the children’s room. A light shining in the boys room indicated that Georgie was reading again and Ella pushed the door open quietly.

“Mum.” Georgie said quickly.

“We need to talk my son.” Ella told him. “This is keeping Sammy from sleeping properly.”

Georgie immediately looked guilty and put his book down.

“I’m sorry.” He told her.

“I know you are.” Roman told his son moving over to kiss him taking the book from his side and putting on the top near the bed.

“Its ok I can sleep.” Sammy muttered quickly trying to defend his brother.

“I know Samson.” Ella said sitting on the side of his bed and tugging up the covers. “But well we were thinking that maybe Georgie should have his own room now.”

“Really?” Georgie asked.

“What do you think Samson?” Ella asked.

“It would be cool he could decorate his room anyway he wanted it.” Sammy told them.

“Oh Sammy.” Georgie said softly.

“Well have a think about it. Time to go to sleep now boys.” Roman murmured.

Ella leaned in and kissed Sammy.

“night my babes.”

“Mummy.”

“Yes Sammy?”

“Love you.” He told her quietly.

She gave him another kiss and carefully tucked him in, smoothing a hand over his hair.

“Love you too.” She said.

Easing up she looked at Georgie smiling before kissing him.

“Night son.” Roman said. “night Samson.”

“G’niight Daddy.” Sammy said sleepily.

They moved out of the room and across to the girls room. Both Meggy and Sophie were asleep so Roman held back and let Ella move into the room. She tugged up the covers on both girls before slipping back out and walking with him down to their room.

“Our Sammy is wonderful isn’t he.” Roman commented.

Ella nodded.

“All our kids are.” She said softly.

“Including Gabby?” he asked.

She nodded.

“When we split she took your side but still took care of me and helped with the kids.” Ella said softly. “You need to expect that some anger has to come out because of the way she was brought up.”

“Ella.” He moaned. “I know that but anything that hurts you…”

She turned stepping into his arms and placed her hand over his beating heart.

“I know.” She told him. “But it’s for me to reconcile the hurt not for you to avenge.”

“uh huh.” Roman muttered.

He placed his hand on top of hers and stood there for a few seconds before lowering his lips to hers.

“I love you my husband.” She said softly just before they kissed.

He sighed as he pressed his lips to hers.

He felt her hands slip around his waist as she stepped closer to him. He felt the warmth of her body pressed against him and the scent of her intoxicating perfume and he moaned as he felt hot urgent arousal.

He put his arms around her and felt the tease of lace pressing through her dress and he remembered what she was wearing.

“Oh Ella.” He moaned against her lips.

He felt her hands reaching for the buttons of his shirt undoing them before easing up and loosening his tie. She dropped it to the floor and took a step back slipping out of her dress and letting it slither down her body until it fell at her feet. Stepping out of it and moving over to the bed she teased back the covers and sat down lifting her leg to unfasten the stocking.

Roman watched for a fast second before ripping off his shirt and throwing it to the floor. He stepped over to her and put his hand on hers and stopped her form removing the lace topped stocking.

“Leave them on?” she asked him.

Roman nodded.

Ella smiled and unfastened the other one before standing and turning her back to him. He reached out and slowly unhooked the tiny fastenings of the basque pressing kisses down her spine. He slid his arms around her and slowly eased the corset away from her body.

“Want me?” she asked him.

He laughed kissing the back of her neck.

“Want you.” He said. “Need you.” He added. “Love you.” He promised.

“Always?” she asked.

“Always and forever.” he told her.

She laughed softly before turning once more and kissing him.

Roman looked into her sapphire blue eyes as he kissed her back feeling her hands on the waistband of his trousers. She undid them pushing them down his taut thighs tracing kisses down his body. He felt her breath teasing his arousal before the kiss of her lips and he moaned aloud through his head back.

“God Ella.” He muttered.

She continued to kiss him intimately before easing away. He looked at her before pressing her down on the bed and kissing his way down her body. He disposed of her thong tempted to rip it off and deciding to peel it slowly teasingly down her legs. He lifted her then laying her back on the pillows joining her on the bed. Stretching out a hand he reached into the bedside drawer and felt her still underneath him.

“Sorry.” She whispered.

“El?”

“I can’t.” she murmured.

“Ok.” he told her.

He leaned down and tugged the covers over them clicking out the light.

She sighed against his chest before she felt his lips on hers once again.

“Roman.” She said quickly.

“Shush just relax.” He said equally as quickly. “Just going to kiss you for a bit.”

He pressed his lips to hers once more gently until he felt her respond. She turned to him putting her arms around him kissing him back.

“It’s ok.” he told her stroking her hair back from her face before stroking down her back. He pressed her to him holding her.

She gave a sigh and kissed him before closing her eyes so he wouldn’t see the sheen of tears in them.

Chapter 56

Roman looked in on the children sitting at the table and eating their dinner. Ella was upstairs having a lay down claiming to be tired. He sighed as he thought of her worried about her reaction to him lately and the fact she hadn’t been well for a long time.

“Daddy?” Sammy called out.

“What’s the matter Samson?” he replied moving to sit with them at the table.

“It’s Mummy.” He began.

“What about her?” Roman asked quickly.

“Is she ok?” Meggy asked the question. “Only she’s sleeping a lot.”

“She’s fine. It’s the wedding making her extra tired.” Roman improvised.

“Oh.” Sammy said his mouth a big round “o” shape.

Roman grinned and then frowned as Sophie vaulted up from her seat and took her half-finished dinner through to the kitchen putting the plate on the side.

“What’s going on Sophie girl?” he asked her.

“I need to go see to Princess.” She murmured. “I’ll be back in a little while.”

Roman gave her a look before nodding and watched as she vaulted out of the door running down the garden to the far paddock where the stable block was.

“Everyone else finish dinner I’m going to see if your mother is coming down.” He said after a few minutes.

Lily looked at him and lifted up her hands to him.

“Mama?” she asked.

“In a minute babes.” He said quietly moving out of the room. He stood up and moved out of the room heading up the stairs and into their bedroom. Ella was curled up in the middle of the bed the covers tucked tight around her.

“Hey.” He called moving to her side.

She stirred briefly but didn’t wake.

“Ella.” He called her name louder.

She moved restlessly under the covers before sitting upright.

“What time is it?” she mumbled putting the covers to one side and easing her legs to the floor.

“Late. The kids are eating. They’ve been worried about you.” He began. “I’ve been worried about you.” He added softly.

She nodded.

“Sorry. I’m just exhausted.” She explained.

“Are you going to see Rachel?” Roman asked quickly.

Ella gave him a look.

“It will be ok if I just get some sleep.” She muttered.

“Ella you are sleeping most of the day as it is. The children don’t see you.” He pointed out a note entering his voice.

“Roman stop it.” Ella cried out. “I don’t need a lecture ok.”

“Well what do you need Ella? Tell me because I’m really trying to figure it out.”

She gave him a look before moving past him and out of the bedroom. He heard her head down the stairs and he swore before following her.

“Mummy.” Sammy called out.

“Hey Babes.” Ella said softly walking over to the table. “Where’s Sophie?”

“She went to see to her horse.” Georgie supplied.

“That’s strange.” Ella said softly.

“Mama eat carrots.”

“Hey my Lily girl.” Ella smiled at her daughter. “Carrots eh?”

Lily nodded.

“Mama sleeps?”

“Sorry Babes Mama slept too long.” Ella told her kissing the top of her head.

She eased into the kitchen and took out the milk from the fridge pouring out a tall glass before sitting at the table next to William and taking a drink.

“Mummy.” Meggy began.

“Yes?” Ella asked her softly.

Meggy caught Georgie looking at her and she sighed.

“Nothing.” She said slowly.

“Ok.” Ella said to her daughter and gave her a smile.

Roman watched them before moving over to Ella’s side. He pressed a kiss to her head before sitting next to her. He caught her glance at him and knew she wasn’t happy with him.

“Mummy.” Sophie called from outside.

Ella vaulted up from the table and ran out to her.

“Sophie what have you done?” she asked quickly looking at her daughter.

“I was riding and I fell.” Sophie said crying.

Ella moved speedily over to her daughter and looked at the cut in her head.

“Ok babes. I think we need to take this to be looked at.” Ella said calmly. “Don’t worry about the blood head wounds always bleed a lot. It’s not serious ok.”

Sophie looked at her tears pouring down her face.

“Come on.” She guided her into the house and lifted her up to sit on a kitchen top wincing as her back gave a warning spasm before flinching when Sophie did.

“Did you hurt anywhere else?” she asked her.

Roman placed the first aid kit on the top and handed Ella a towel.

She nodded at him before placing the towel gently on the wound.

“My arm feels funny.”

“Can you wiggle your fingers?” Roman asked her.

Sophie went to nod before remembering about her head wound and moaned as she pressed hard against her mother’s hand.

“Hey Sophie how did you fall of Princess?” Ella asked distracting her.

“Was riding Arthur.” She muttered.

“Ok babes.”

“Is she alright?” Georgie asked quickly looking worried.

“She’s going to be just fine aren’t you Sophie?” Roman murmured. “You guys bang your heads all the time.”

Georgie nodded still looking worried.

“Can you go over to the pool house and see if anyone is there please?” Ella asked her son.

He nodded once more before running out of the house and across the garden.

“El?” Roman murmured.

She nodded knowing what he was asking. She saw him move to the other room and see to the children while she stayed with Sophie.

“Ok honey I’m going to take this towel away now so I can look at the cut. Did you put Arthur back in the paddock?”

Sophie gave a small sob.

“I couldn’t catch him.” she moaned.

“Do we need to go see to him?” Ella asked distracting her.

“No he will be fine.” Sophie told her.

“Now tell me why you were trying to ride Arthur?” Ella asked trying not to display her disquiet at the cut on her daughters head. It was still bleeding and there was now some pale bruising.

“Because Gabby has been sick so I thought I would help.” Sophie blurted tears springing into her eyes.

“Hey, come on now you are so brave.” Ella said quietly kissing her daughter’s cheek.

“I feel sick.” Sophie moaned.

“Ok babe.” Ella murmured.

“Do you want me to get a bowl mummy?” Sammy asked quickly.

Ella nodded and saw Sammy sprint into the laundry room and come back with a bowl handing it to his mum.

“Thanks Sammy, How about you get a bottle of water from the fridge?”

He nodded moving across the kitchen.

“Mum.” Mike called out moving into the kitchen next to Georgie.

“Hey Mike we need to get Sophie checked out. Can you babysit?” Ella asked Mike her voice calm.

He nodded.

“No problem Mum.” He said softly.

Roman came through to the kitchen and looked at his daughter.

“Ok Sophie lets get you in the car.” He said moving over to her.

“Can I come too?” Georgie asked.

Ella looked at Roman and saw him nod.

“Ok.” she told her son. “Can you take the bottle and bowl out?”

Roman lifted Sophie and carried her out to the car watching as Ella moved around the children giving them a kiss before she grabbed the throw off the back of the sofa and moved out to the car. She went into the back with Sophie motioning for Georgie to sit next to his dad in the front. Roman set off driving them to the hospital.

“Mummy.” Sophie murmured.

“What babes?”

“Am I going to be ok? Only my head feels funny.”

Ella laughed hoping it didn’t sound as forced as it felt.

“Course you are.” She told her daughter as they set off. “You might have a headache later.”

Sophie groaned

“Hey come on.” Georgie murmured to his sister. “William bumped his head and was fine.””

She gave her brother a look and tried to smile at him.

Roman pulled up the car outside the hospital and climbed out moving to the back. He lifted out Sophie and gave Ella a puzzled glance when he noticed how pale she was.

“El?” he asked.

“Take her in.” Ella told him easing out of the car carefully.

He nodded and moved inside.

“Mummy?” Georgie asked.

“I’m ok.” Ella said softly.

She closed up the car and followed Roman inside. She saw Rachel taking one look at Sophie and showing Roman through to a room.

“Mummy.” Georgie said again.

“Can you do me a favour?” she asked her son.

He nodded quickly.

“Can you go over to that desk and ask if Aden is here?”

Georgie sprinted off leaving Ella sinking slowly into a seat. He came back barely a minute later.

“He’s here and they are fetching him.” he told her breathlessly. “Are you feeling sick?”

Ella looked at her son seeing his worried expression.

“Yes I am it must have been all that blood.” She said slowly.

He nodded sitting next to her and holding her hand.

“Mum I’m 12 now.” He began.

“I know. I was there when you were born remember.” She pointed out and saw him grin reluctantly.

“Sophie is really hurt isn’t she?”

Ella turned to her son fighting back nausea

“Yes she is. A Cut on the head like that can be serious. But Sophie is ok. She’s awake and knows us.” Ella said softly looking at her son. “And she may need stitches.”

“She’ll hate that.” Georgie said quickly.

“El?” Aden called walking over to them.

“We brought Sophie in she fell of her horse and cut her head.” Ella told him quickly. “But I need to see you.”

He nodded.

“Georgie can you wait here for me?” she asked him.

His eyes wide4ned in surprise but he nodded solemnly.

“Good boy.” She said softly kissing his cheek as she moved to follow Aden. They walked into an examination room and Ella eased over to the bed.

“What’s the matter?” Aden asked quickly.

“This is going to sound mad.” Ella began. “But I think I’m pregnant.”

“Ella.” Aden groaned. “Didn’t you hear the warnings about getting pregnant again?”

“Aden please listen.” Ella said holding out her hand to him. “I’ve been really tired and I’m sick in the mornings. It can’t be because “ she stopped talking and looked down. “Because Roman and I haven’t, you know, since.”

“So you think what?” Aden asked gently easing her to the bed.

“That maybe it was the same as when I was pregnant with Gabby.” She explained placing a hand on her stomach.

“Ok.” he said. “I’ll be right back.”

She nodded lying back on the exam bed closing her eyes. She opened them again when he walked back in with the ultra sound machine.

“Oh.” She gasped out.

“So if you are pregnant it would be how far along?” he asked.

“Nearly 12 weeks.” She said softly.

“Lift up your top El.” He instructed.

She moved her top and he squirted the gel on to her belly grinning as she squealed.

“Thanks for the warning.” She muttered.

“You’ve been here enough times to know that its cold.”

“Aden.” Ella caught hold of his hand.

“Ella what if you are wrong? Can you handle it?” he asked her carefully.

“I’m not imagining my symptoms Aden. I want to know one way or the other.” she murmured.

“Ok.” he said slowly.

He moved to the machine checking the settings before placing the wand over her stomach. He checked the screen carefully before looking at her.

“Well?” she asked.

“El.” He murmured her name.

“Aden I need to know.” She said impatiently.

He looked at her and sighed before turning on the audio and moving the screen so she could look at it. She gasped.

“Ella Harris I believe we have your answer.” He told her.

“I’m pregnant?” she asked biting her lip, straining to see the picture on the small screen.

He nodded.

“And.” He began feeling a strange sense of Déjà vu. “Its twins.”

She gave a gasp and looked at the screen for confirmation before looking at him.

He nodded and pointed them out.

“I need to know if they are ok.” she gasped.

“Amniocentesis?” he questioned and saw her nod.

He reached over and handed her a tissue to clean off the gel and watched as she pulled down her top and eased up.

“So why haven’t you and Roman you know?” he asked her raising his eyebrows and giving her a cheeky smirk.

“None of your business.” Ella muttered.

“But Ella.” Aden murmured still grinning at her.

“No I’m not talking about this.” She said quietly.

He looked at her and nodded once more looking serious.

“It can’t hurt the babies.” He said quietly.

She looked up in shock.

“You think that I was pushing him away because I thought it might…” she stopped her hand on her stomach.

Aden moved to sit next to her on the bed

“You had a significant bleed leading us to believe there had been a miscarriage. It’s possible in the spooky subconscious of yours that you believed that if you had sex it may lead to another episode of bleeding and losing the babies for real.” He suggested.

“Babies.” She said looking down.

“You know if you go ahead with this pregnancy there are risks don’t you?”

She nodded.

“I’m going to recommend that you see a specialist.” He said softly.

She nodded once more before easing off the bed.

“I need to see how Sophie is.” She said slowly.

Aden jumped off the bed and followed her out of the room. She eased down the corridor spotting Roman sitting with Georgie.

“How is she?” Ella asked him.

“A couple of stitches and then we can take her home.”

“Thank god.” Ella said quickly with a sigh of relief.

“And you?” Roman asked her.

She moved to sit carefully on his lap feeling his arms go around her immediately. She caught hold of his hand and placed it on her belly looking him in the eyes.

“Well you remember Gabby?” she began.

“Mummy?” Georgie murmured looking at her. “You know that she’s pregnant?” he blurted.

Ella gasped and looked at her son.

“So that is what you lot have been hiding.” She said now distracted.

“Mummy.” Sophie called walking out of the room with Rachel.

“Hey babes.” She said standing up and going over to her.

Sophie wrapped her arms around her and hugged her tight.

“It’s ok Sophie. “ She said to her.

Rachel handed a bag to Roman.

“She needs to take these every four hours!” she began.” IF you get at all worried bring her back in but I don’t think it’s too serious.”

“Thank you Rachel.” Ella said.

Roman nodded and began leading them out to the car.

“You’ll have something cool to tell everyone now.” Georgie told her.

“I need to go see to Arthur.” She said with a grimace.

“I’ll get Gabby to do that.” Ella told her daughter. “You need to spend some time with your brothers and sisters and let them fuss over you.”

Sophie smiled tiredly and leaned against Georgie in the back seat. He looked a little embarrassed before putting his arm around her and hugging her to him.

Chapter 57

Ella watched as the kids fussed round Sophie before she made her way out through the back and to the pool house.

“Mum.” Danni gasped out looking at her and then Gabby in shock.

“Danni I need to speak to Gabby. Go up to the house.” Ells told her.

“Er is Sophie alright?” Danni asked stalling for time.

“No she’s dead.” Ella told her.

Danni gave a moan looking at Gabby.

“Of course Sophie is alright. Now do as I say.”

“That was mean mother.”

“So is keeping secrets. And expecting a 12 year old girl to look after your horse because you are pregnant.” Ella bit out watching as both Danni and Gabby paled.

“It wasn’t like that.” Gabby said moving to Ella’s side.

“Isn’t it enough you cost me one child?” she asked her, sounding bitter.

“Mum no.” Gabby cried out. “I’m going away you never need to see me again.” She gasped.

“Then please tell me what it is like?”

Danni stepped forward and put her arm around Gabby.

“Enough mother.” She gasped out.

“I told you to leave Danni. This is between Gabby and me.”

“No not until you hear her side.” Danni said to her.

“And what is she going to say in her defence? Why should I believe her Danni?” Ella shouted.

“Because you’re my mother and I’m sorry ok. I’m sorry I didn’t trust you enough.” Gabby shouted back.

“Sorry isn’t enough.” Ella told her.

“I’ve said I’ll go away. You’ll never have to see me again. “ Gabby told her in a shaking voice.

“No.” Ella said.

“Please. I don’t want to cause any more upset.” Gabby begged.

“I think you should give me the child.” Ella told her.

“No.” Gabby said immediately her hand on her stomach.

“You can’t raise a baby.” Ella murmured. “You have no home, no money, no job.” Ella listed. “Just give it up to me.”

“No.” Gabby said stepping back from her. “I love my baby.”

“How can you love a baby that has Chris’ genes in it?” Ella asked her

“Because Jacob isn’t Chris.” Gabby shouted. “I love Jacob.”

Ella nodded stepping forward.

“Then why haven’t you told him that he’s about to become a father?” she asked in her normal tone of voice.

“Because of you.” Gabby said moaning. “Because I can’t be with him and risk Chris coming after you again.”

Ella pulled Gabby into her arms and held her as she began crying.

“It’s ok.” she said to her stroking her hair. “You need to tell Jacob. If he is the man that you tell us he is he will stand by you.”

“Mum?” Danni asked puzzled.

“It’s called devils advocate.” Ella told her with a half smile.

“So you aren’t mad at her?” Danni asked with just a hint of a wobble in her voice.

“Never.” Ella said easing back and kissing Gabby.

“Mum.” Gabby said with a cry.

“Go see him because according to your sister he’s been asking about you.”

“Meggy said that?” Gabby asked with another moan.

Ella nodded.

“Come on.” She said softly beginning to lead them out of the pool house and over to the main house. Gabby looked at Sophie and began crying again.

“Hey I’m ok.” Sophie called.

“What were you thinking Sophie, you could have been killed.” Gabby gasped out.

“See sounding like a mum already.” Ella whispered to Gabby smiling as the girl blushed.

She walked over and sat next to her sister smiling as Sophie took hold of her hand.

“Was that shouting I heard?” Roman moved over to Ella’s side and put his arm around her.

“A little bit.” Ella told him.

He leaned over and kissed her cheek.

“Gabby do I need to give you a hand with Arthur?” Roman asked and saw Ella look at him with an expression of love.

“He’s ok.” Gabby replied.

Roman nodded.

“Do you want a drink?” he asked her.

She gave him a look and nodded.

“Please. Can I have ginger tea?” she said slowly.

Roman smiled and moved over to her giving her a kiss on the cheek before heading into the kitchen.

Gabby blushed some more before the children ran over to her.

“So we can talk about the baby now?” Sammy asked. “Because I was like nearly peeing myself every time your name was mentioned.”

“Samuel Rapheal Harris.” Ella gasped out before laughing.

“Well it’s true.” He said flushing and looking down.

“Yes you can talk about the baby.” Gabby said then bit her lip and looked at Ella before looking over a frowning Meggy. “Sorry.” She gasped.

“It’s ok.” Ella told her smiling.

“Jacob has asked for a transfer. I’m not supposed to know but I left my book behind so I was going to get it and I heard him talking.” Meggy told her sister.

Gabby gave a little moan her eyes flying to Ella’s.

“Thank you Meggy.” Ella said softly. “And thank you for not spying on your teacher. It must have been horrible knowing that when you had Gabby here.”

Meggy nodded her eyes huge in her face.

“I didn’t want to upset anyone.” She murmured.

“It’s ok Meggy.” Gabby told her.

Ella nodded and moved over to her daughter picking her up and giving her a hug.

“I think all of my kids are pretty special.” She told them. “Just not so good with secrets.”

“We are too. We kept this one for two weeks.” Sammy pointed out.

“Oh Sammy, you can’t keep secrets.” Ella told her son with a smile.

“So can.” He said with a pout.

Ella slowly lowered Meggy to the floor and moved over to Sammy. She knelt next to him and whispered in his ear watching as his eyes seemed to get huge in his face and he looked about to burst.

“That is so not fair.” He muttered glaring at her. “How am I supposed to keep that a secret.” He glared at her.

Ella giggled.

“You said you could Samson.” She pointed out.

“What is it?” Meggy asked excitedly.

“I can’t tell you.” Sammy groaned, hopping from one foot to the other.

Ella grinned at him.

“Mummy you are mean.” He told her folding his arms across his chest.

“What’s going on?” Roman asked.

“She told me a secret and I’m not allowed to tell anyone.” Sammy said pointing at Ella and then folding his arms again.

Roman handed the drink to Gabby and saw her move carefully over to the sofa and sit down.

“Sammy I think your mum is just mean.” He said softly. “If it is that good she should tell everyone.”

“Think I should tell Daddy?” Ella asked Sammy.

Sammy nodded exuberantly.

Ella grinned and stood up moving over to Roman. She leaned up and whispered in his ear.

“Twins?” he asked paling.

Ella gave him a smile.

“Twins?” he said again lifting her up and holding her against him.

She chuckled as she put her arms around him and kissed him before he lowered her extra gently to the floor.

“Gabby is having twins?” Georgie asked.

“God I hope not.” She said before realising what was going on. She shot up off the sofa and looked over at her parents.

“Mum?” she asked.

Ella smiled at her kids.

“The doctors were wrong.” She announced. “I’m still pregnant.”

“Twins?” Sophie asked. “Like us?”

Ella nodded.

Sophie and Meggy squealed and ran over to her.

Sammy glared at her before joining in.

“Hey.” Roman cried. “Be careful.” He told them all.

“I’m fine.” Ella told him smiling.

“I’m so wrapping you in cotton wool.” He warned her.

She giggled and leaned over and kissed him.

He smiled at his wife before hugging her and the children together.

Chapter 58

Roman eased into bed beside Ella. He put his arm around her and felt her warm body snuggle up to him and he gave a little contented moan.

“I love this about us.” He commented.

“What?” she asked in that sleep voice that made him feel protective.

“That even when we are mad at each other we snuggle like this.” He said softly kissing the back of her neck.

She gave a husky little laugh and he sighed, his hot breath flowing over her skin. He saw Goosebumps rise on her skin and he sighed once more.

“Quit that.” She muttered.

“What?” he asked with a chuckle.

“Trying to turn me on.” She accused him.

“Oh, so blowing on the back of your neck can turn you on?” he asked before pursing his lips and blowing softly.

She gave a groan and turned in his arms.

“You.” She muttered.

He smiled at her in the pale light coming from his bedside lamp and leaned over and kissed her lips feeling her arms wrap around him.

“We need to talk.” He said with another sigh.

“I have to see a specialist.” She told him. “And have Amniocentesis.”

“If there is something wrong.” He began.

“You can’t ask me to have an abortion.” She muttered a note entering her voice.

“I can.” He told her. “Because we have wonderful kids El. And as much as we will love the child you have no matter what is wrong we need to think about.” He stopped and looked deep into her eyes. “about if we can handle looking after a baby we might not have for very long.”

She gave a little gasp.

“So its not about special needs.” She asked him.

“Oh Ella, we’ll cope if we have too.” He sighed. “But I can’t bear to have you go through anymore grief.”

She put her arms tight around him and felt him shake as he pressed himself against her.

“Listen to me.” He began once more. “When we lost the first baby it was heartbreaking. And watching you go through that made me feel so helpless. I tried to hold you and just be there for you but I was pretty useless. And then there was our lovely baby Francesca. So making a choice between doing the unthinkable and having an abortion now or having the babies and loving them only to have to watch them go through stuff.” His voice broke. “My god Ella even talking to you about it is hard.”

Ella nodded wiping at the tears that had fallen down his face. She guided his hand to her stomach and pressed it against herself.

“I can’t even think about an abortion.” She told him. “I went through all the pros and cons when I was pregnant with William. And yes you are right losing a baby is hard but loving a little human being and having to say goodbye is worse.”

Roman nodded looking down at her belly.

“Don’t ask me to chose between you and the baby Ella.” He cautioned after a minute.

“I know.” She said softly kissing him.

“Promise me we’ll think about options El.” He said looking into her eyes.

“I promise.” She told him softly.

“I love you. I love our babies.” He said with a note of awe still in his voice.

“I love you.” She said.

He kissed her again and then again feeling her hands trailing over his skin.

“Is it ok?” he found himself asking.

She grinned.

“Aden told me it was.” She whispered.

“In his roll as a doctor I hope.” Roman growled out displaying his jealousy.

Ella giggled and pressed her lips to the column of his neck.

“Make love to me husband.” She said softly.

Gabby felt Meggy squeezing her hand as they walked through the school gates.

“Thanks Megs.” She said quietly.

Meggy looked up at her and gave her a slow smile.

“It’s going to be ok.” she told her.

“Yeah Gabby.” Sammy murmured standing the other side of her.

She paused and looked over playground watching as Jacob straightened and looked in her direction.

“I can’t do this.” She muttered feeling sick.

“Mr Smith.” Georgie called out.

“Georgie.” Gabby hissed his name.

“Do you want him to leave Gabby?” Sophie asked her.

“No.” she began. “But.”

“No buts.” Sammy told her.

“You lot are worse than Mum.” She told them.

“You look great Gabby. “ Sophie said softly. “He walking over this way.”

Georgie grinned.

“Hello.” Jacob called over quietly. His eyes met with Gabby’s.

“H h hello.” She stuttered nervously.

“What happened Sophie?” he asked looking at the plaster on her head.

“I fell off the roof.” She murmured in response hearing Meggy and Sammy giggle.

“I’m sure that isn’t the real reason.” He murmured his eyes still on Gabby.

“She was riding Arthur and she fell.” Gabby found her voice and spoke slowly. “Is it possible we could go for a drink later and have a talk?” she said in a rush.

“It wouldn’t do any good Gabby. You should know I’m leaving the Bay. I’ve requested a transfer.” Jacob told her.

Gabby bit her lip to stop herself from blurting out that she knew that.

“Please?” Meggy spoke up.

“Meggy.” Jacob said now looking at her.

“I have something I need to tell you.” Gabby said quietly.

Jacob looked around and saw the other kids beginning to move inside the school. He also caught the headmaster looking at him curiously. Sighing he looked back at Gabby and threw back his shoulders standing straighter.

“Anything you want to say to me can be said here.” He told her almost wincing at how harsh his tone sounded.

Gabby gave him a look and took a deep breath.

“I’m pregnant.” She bit out. “Here is a note from Sophie’s doctor. She’s not allowed to go to swimming or do any sports. She has her pain pills with her and will let her teacher know if she needs to have one.”

Jacob found himself accepting the note with a shaking hand before Gabby turned and after kissing the children made her way back to the school gates.

“Well are you going after her or what?” Georgie asked him.

Jacob shook himself out of his reverie and sprinted after Gabby.

“We’re pregnant?” he asked her.

She nodded.

“How far along are we?” he murmured looking down at her still flat stomach.

“8 weeks.” She told him softly.

“Oh God Gabby, we need to talk. We have stuff to work out here.” He moaned.

“We do. I’ll be in the diner at lunch.” She told him shyly.

He nodded and looked at her once more before finally turning and walking back towards the school. He caught Meggy grinning at him and he gave her a slow smile in response.

He found the morning dragged by to long while he was waiting for lunchtime to come around. He caught Meggy grinning at him a few times and tried not to build that up into any kind of acceptance, he was still Chris’ son and nothing could change what his father had done to the family.

He heard the signal to the end of class and waited patiently for the children to move out before he walked quickly to his car and made his way to the diner. He found himself parking next to Gabby’s car in the car park and tried not to take that as a sign either. Striding inside he saw Gabby sitting at a table with Ella and he flinched before approaching them and easing down into a seat.

“Hello Jacob.” Ella said softly.

“Hello.” He said nervously swallowing.

Ella gave him a reassuring smile before she lifted her hand and placed it on his face.

“You need to remember that you are not your father.” She began seeing a tide of colour wash over his face. “I will not hold you accountable for his actions.”

“But he is evil.” Jacob bit out.

“Are you saying that the father of my grandchild is also evil?” Ella asked calmly. She caught Gabby looking at her and she smiled.

“Mum.” Gabby said.

“Ella I will provide for the baby but I can’t be a part of your family. I’m not going to allow Chris to have access to you anymore.” He stated clearly. “Not after he caused you to lose your baby.”

He looked at Gabby then and saw her smiling.

“My god even now don’t you get it? Can’t you see that this resentment you have for your mother is eating you up.” He bit out misunderstanding the reason for her smile.

“Jacob.” Ella interrupted him before he could say anything else.

“Whatever is between Gabby and myself is exactly that. Between us. Mother and Daughters fight all the time and you might find out that one for yourself in a few years. Only we have a different relationship to most because of only just finding each other.” she told him gently giving Gabby a look of love. “And also, I’m still pregnant. The doctors were wrong.”

“So he didn’t kill your baby.” Jacob asked his voice lighter.

“No.” Ella told him. “But even if he had you are not responsible for him or his actions. I would be proud to welcome you into the family if that is going to happen.”

She stood up then and moved to his side pressing a gentle kiss to his cheek.

“I’ll leave you two to your talk.” She murmured easing away from the table.

“Gabby.” Jacob began.

“We’ve hurt each other the past few weeks.” She murmured. “Can you forgive me?” she began to ask.

“Can you forgive me?” he said in response.

She nodded looking at him.

“My Mum said to me before you arrived that marriage and babies and where we are going to live and jobs are a big deal to try and decide right now.” She murmured.

Jacob nodded remaining silent sensing there was more to come.

“So the only thing we really need to decide about right at this minute is what we are having for lunch.”

Jacob looked at her and laughed before taking hold of Gabby’s hand.

“Meggy told me you had a job.” He said slowly.

She nodded.

“Working in a supermarket. It’s not the best job in the world but it will do until the baby is born.” She said softly. “I’m living with Mike and Danni. We decided that I should keep that bit of independence. Give myself some space.”

Jacob nodded deciding that he loved listening to her and grinned at the love part of the statement.

“Is there room for me?” he asked her.

She looked at him in shock before nodding.

“But only for a little while until we find a place for us and the baby..” he told her.

“Do I have to be concerned about this bossy streak you seem to have?” she asked him.

Jacob chuckled and leaned over to kiss her.

“Not at all.” He murmured. “We do want this baby don’t we?”

Gabby took hold of his hand and placed it against her belly.

“With all of my heart.” she said softly. “And I promise I’m going to be a good Mum.”

“You will be an amazing Mum.” He promised her. “And I’ll be proud if you let me be around to watch you with our child.”

She nodded unable to speak before leaning in and kissing him again.

“I think I’ll have the chicken salad.” He said slowly.

“Really.” Gabby smiled at him.

He nodded before he grinned and took hold of her hand.

Warning Contains some Strong Imagery

Chapter 59

Roman saw Ella lay carefully on the bed before the doctor raised her gown and began the procedure and began drawing off samples of Amniotic fluid for testing. He winced as he watched her go through this unable to hold her hand. Once done the doctor moved away and Ella eased the gown down over her fragile body. He stepped forward them and took hold of her hand.

“Piece of cake.” She told him giving him a smile.

“I want you to rest for the next few days.” The doctor told her. “Any spotting come straight in.”

She nodded looking at Roman as he paled understanding the warning about miscarriage.

“When will we get the results?” Ella asked.

“It will take three days.” The doctor predicted. “I also have concerns about your blood pressure and well your history is ..”

“A nightmare.” Ella supplied.

“In general terms yes. One miscarriage, two Caesareans, three problems with placenta placement. The only child you carried to term was Samuel.” He said with a glance at his notes. “And one child with a heart defect.”

Roman looked over at Ella and saw her pale.

“My recommendation would be to terminate the pregnancy now.” He continued. “Knowing that would not be your choice in this instance it is my job to ensure that you and the babies make it through this.”

Ella gave a small smile easing up and looking over at the doctor.

“Doctor.” Roman spoke slowly and he maintained eye contact with Ella. “What odds would you give us?”

”Safe delivery and healthy infants?” the doctor murmured.

Roman nodded and watched as the doctor looked direct at Ella.

“About 15%.” He said quietly.

Ella paled and felt Roman’s hand squeeze hers as reaction set in for them both.

“Are you telling me that I could lose my wife?” Roman asked him.

He nodded.

“I am of the opinion that we need three things to happen. One that you get complete bed rest starting more or less straight away. Two, you maintain a healthy weight gain. According to records during your last pregnancy you were underweight for most of it. Three, we keep that blood pressure of yours at an ok level.” He outlined the issues.

Ella nodded before looking at Roman.

“And if we go for an abortion now?” he asked avoiding looking back at Ella.

“Roman!” she exclaimed.

“Ella I need to hear this. We need to hear this.” He said to her. “We have to know everything.”

She continued to look at him until the doctor spoke again.

“It would not be without risks. We would administer medication.” He stopped at Ella’s cry.

“No.” she said slowly. “I don’t want to hear the details.”

“Ella. You promised that we would hear the options.” Roman murmured softly.

She let go of his hand and looked at him.

“They give you drugs that kill the baby and cause it to leave your body and if that doesn’t work they scrape it out of you.” She told him. “And you want me to consider that? After holding me when we lost our first baby or when I had to give birth to Francesca? You would want me to do that?”

Roman nodded.

“You want me to chose between you and a baby Ella? I’m sorry but I won’t.”

She gave him a hateful look before standing up slowly.

“Then maybe you should have thought about that before you had sex with me.” She said slowly and reached for her clothes.

Roman shook his head and walked out of the room.

“Mrs Harris.” The doctor began.

“No.” she said. “No I’m not going to listen to facts and figures about abortion and how clinical it is. It’s a woman’s right to chose. But I’m not going to, I can’t.” Ella said slowly.

“Mrs Harris. I can’t guarantee that you will survive this pregnancy. Or that the children will.” He warned her. “I’m a doctor, my sole job is to save lives and I will do my best to save your life and that of the children you carry. You need to be very aware that it may come down to a case of you or the babies. Are you going to sacrifice yourself when you have other children that still need a mother?”

Ella paled and placed her hand protectively on her stomach.

“See it’s not so easy to think about is it? “ he asked her gently. “I’ll leave you to get dressed.” He added before walking to the door and out the other side.

Ella had to wait a moment for her hands to stop shaking before she could put her clothes on. She collected her handbag and walked out the door of the exam room and along the corridor Roman was waiting by the doctors’ office door.

“I can’t.” she said slowly. “You want to know what happens then you go in.”

“Ella you promised me that you would listen to options and you’ve already gone back on that. I can’t lose you again.”

“You already have.” She said softly.

Roman looked at her seeing the set of her jaw and the light in her eyes and nodded.

“Then I’ll go to court.” He said slowly. “There have been cases where the father gets the chance to choose.”

“There is only one problem with that.” Ella snapped out. “You aren’t the father.”

He shook his head.

“You’d go to those lengths to have these babies?” he asked feeling a measure of self-disgust over the conversation they were having.

“Why do you think I was so eager to have unprotected sex with you?” she snapped out. “Chris and I had already slept together.”

Roman looked at her and felt bile rise up in his throat cutting off what he was going to say. He shook his head and moved over to the door going out of it. Ella watched him go before she collapsed into a nearby chair.

He paced to the car taking out the keys and opening the door before turning back around and walking into the clinic. Ella lifted her head and looked at him as he walked over to her and sat next to her.

“I’m sorry.” He murmured. “But I need to know. As horrible as it is for you to listen to it I have to hear what our options are.”

She nodded and placed a leaflet in his hands.

“That should answer your questions. I’m sorry too. I love these babies already.” She murmured. “You say you can’t chose between me and the children. I can’t chose between you and the children.”

“You did once Ella. When you sent me to get Mike.”

Ella’s head shot up and she glared at him.

“Take me home.” She said quietly.

He nodded and stood up stuffing the leaflet in his pocket. She watched him carefully as they moved out to the car and climbed inside. The trip home was silent as was the rest of the day.

Ella moved into the bedroom and took out her nightdress. She moved down the corridor and slipped into the spare room getting undressed and climbing into the bed. Her eyes closed as tiredness washed over her and she snuggled under the thick cover.

Roman put the last plate in the cupboard and straightened up. He wiped down the tops before heading up the stairs. Moving into the bedroom he saw the bed empty and sighed. He walked through to the en suite and took a quick shower washing off the strain of the day before pulling on short pyjama bottoms and slipping under the covers. He smelt her perfume on the spare pillow and groaned before yanking at the switch of his bedside light and engulfing the room in darkness.

Ella rolled over in the bed before pushing aside the covers and padding down the hallway. She eased open the bedroom door and looked inside before pulling it open wider and moving over to the bed.

Roman rolled over and lifted the covers sighing as she climbed in beside him. He felt her press close to him and he put his arms around her. He felt her head rest on his shoulder and he sighed.

“I love you.” She whispered.

“Love you too.”

She sighed herself before slipping into sleep finally.

Roman lay awake looking up at the ceiling for a long time before finally falling asleep beside her his arms still wrapped tightly around her.

Archived