Cancer- attitudes, values and beliefs

Guest adellejefferiesxox

CANCER

What are your thoughts? Experiences? Is it okay to not accept treatment and accept you're dying? Who do you cancer just affects the person itself or does it affect everyone? What are your attitudes, values and beliefs towards cancer? Is it possible for the sickness to worsen rapidly resulting in the death of the person despite them walking, talking etc.

Note: Please don't feel like you have to add to this discussion, YOU DON'T have you share if you don't feel comfortable :)

My mum had breast cancer a few years ago, but she's fine now.

To answer your question "Is it okay to not accept treatment and accept you're dying?" yes. If the cancer is incurable and you want to avoid the ill effects of chemotherapy that will only slow it down, then yes, I think you should have the right to deny treatment and just enjoy what time you have left. My mum never had to deal with that decision, they got to it early enough. But I think she'd agree with me on this.

Cancer seems to be something that effects everyone wether it's the person themselves or someone they know. I think it's up to the person themselves to make the decision on wether they want treatment. It's their quality of life in the end. It's really hard to watch the people you love in pain.

My Uncle died from Lukemia a couple of years ago now. They gave him a couple of months to live and he lived for a few years so at least, he had some time to spend doing the things he loved and spending it with the people he loved.

My Nana (on my Dad's side of the family) died when I was little and they found out afterwards (in the autopsy) she had cancer.

My Grandad (on Mum's side) died from cancer when I just a baby. He wasn't feeling too well and was meant to go for an appointment at the hospital to investigate it more but they got the appointment changed to one that was closer and he died not long after he went for the appointment. He would have never had made the original appointment. He never got to meet my little sister. Mum has lots of videos from when I was a baby and it's sad to watch him in them because I have no memory of him.

I haven't personally been affected by it, and none of my close relatives or friends have either, but i dread the day i do come into contact with it on a personal level. I once was on work experince and went to the home of a cancer patient and it broke my heart. It was a little old couple and the gentleman had bowel cancer, and the way they coped with it was marvellous. It actually made me feel quite emotional. I think many would agree with me that its a disgustingly, dreadful disease and i pray that i don't come into contact with it ever!!

Having had a cancer scare, not accepting treatment even though it would prolong your life and hopefully cure it is a selfish decision but then again it would depend on the person because not everyone is as strong as others, one of my cousins died of cancer as a baby and it broke my heart to see them in pain but they had treatment which led them to more pain so if I could have took their place I would have because I would have fought it with all I had. Cancer is a horrible thing but it is a part of life and I pray it doesnt come back into any of my families lives.

My mum has had both skin cancer and cervical cancer but shes fine now. I remember her saying she wouldn't say no to treatment but maybe it'd be different if you were told you weren't actually going to recover even with treatment. And to your question about whether its ok to accept you are dying and not want treatment, well yeah, if you aren't going to get better you might aswell make the most of your time instead of having pointless treatment and getting ill from chemo or whatever and spending your last days in hospital.

I don't think the strength of a person has anything to do with whether they accept or refuse treatment. There's no weakness in accepting death. In fact, I think it's one of the bravest things a person can do. When someone you love is so ill, it's not nice to see them going through so much pain, and I know I'd feel awful if I knew my loved one was putting themselves through complete agony just to try and make me happy.

Archived