Learning To Breathe

Guest Pengzilla

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry about the humungous gap... but I got busy... then lazy.... then uninspired. I've actually been writing another fic which I want to post... but I won't do until I've finished it. To avoid these sort of issues!

Over a month later since the last chapter.... I present you chapter eight.

CHAPTER EIGHT – IT’S WHAT YOU DO TO ME

Song - Hey There Delilah by Plain White T's.

“You seem… normal.” Lois observed.

Jack looked up at her as if she had two heads. “What was the point in announcing it, then?”

Lois shook her head quickly, “No, I didn’t mean normal for you. I meant normal for... a normal person. Two very different things. Entirely different things. Universally different-”

“Okay, I get the picture.” Jack muttered, turning back to his computer. She smirked from where she was stood at the reception.

“What’s new with Jacky?”

“Don’t call me that.” He said sternly.

“Fine,” She sighed, stretching her arms out onto the wooden surface in a cat-like manner. “What’s happened to Constable Holden over the past few days that would cause him to become an actual human being?”

Jack sighed, “Don’t get ahead of yourself. I’m just tired. I’ll be back soon enough.”

“I bet it’s that wife of his, keeping him up all hours.” Marcus teased as he wandered through the station.

Lois immediately tensed up, her puppy dog eyes lying desperately on Jack’s head. “But I thought you said you didn’t talk to her anymore.” She said as more of a question than a statement.

Jack sighed, looking up to Marcus with annoyance. “I didn’t. But... I don’t know. I guess we’ve been seeing more of each other lately. As friends. Not that it’s either of yours business.” He grumbled.

Marcus laughed, taking out a snickers bar from his desk draw and leaning back in his chair so that he balanced on the back two legs. “Hey, I looked her up on the system. She’s cute. There’s no way you gave that up. I definitely wouldn’t say no.”

Jack rolled his eyes and began shuffling papers on his desks. He stood with a few folders enclosed in his left hand, and walked past Lois at reception and Marcus by his desk. He paused briefly near Marcus, where he pushed down on the back of his chair. Marcus’ arms flailed uselessly in the air as he and the chair fell to a heap on the floor. Jack smirked as he leant down, snatching the snickers bar from the wounded Marcus’ hand, and continued on to his sergeants room with little more than a smile on his lips.

He closed the door behind him, ignoring the curses that were being projected in his direction, and filed the paperwork in the correct draws. Before leaving the room, he took out his mobile and scrolled through his phone book. With the smallest smile he clicked ‘call’ and waited for an answer.

“Hey, it’s Jack. I’m due to finish my shift in 20 minutes and I’m pretty hungry. If you fancy joining me for dinner then we could make a night of it. Call me if you’re interested, I know some nice restaurants in the area. Not in your neighbourhood, obviously.” He said with a small laugh, “Well, let me know.”

And he was still smiling when he rejoined the others in the main station and took up his chair by his desk. He passed the next 20 minutes without feeling any need to snap at Lois, or respond to Marcus’ moaning. She text him back asking for the time and place only 2 minutes after he left the message.

Apparently there’s a nice Chinese restaurant just outside of Martha’s neighbourhood, in a classy area where the bulbs of street lamps are in tact and every shop window isn’t boarded up. So Jack picks her up at 8 and they are seated by 8.15.

“I can’t believe this place is so close to my estate.” She says in amazement. “I’ve been living here a year and I never even noticed.”

“It’s because you’re attracted to things with danger written all over them. This place is too normal for you.” He teased.

Martha feigned offence. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Jack scoffed. “Do I need to remind you of Cam and The Believers… and let us not forget about the helicopter.”

“How was the helicopter my fault?”

“You’re a magnet to danger. How many times have I had to save you?” He laughed.

Martha sighed, looking sadly down at her hands. Jack took a moment to realise just what he had said.

“Oh, Martha.” He groaned inwardly, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it like that.”

She shook her head, a small polite smile formed on her lips. “It’s okay - you’re right. But I know you didn’t mean to bring it up again.” She said, not wanting to mention Ric’s name a second day in the running.

Jack sighed heavily as they both sat in silence, wondering what was going to get them around this subject.

It wasn’t until their meal had been brought to them that they moved their subject along.

“So… have you met any high-flying city girls while you’ve been out here?” Martha asked friendlily.

Jack shook his head. “I spend my days arresting drunks and druggies. So no – I haven’t.” He smirked. “I haven’t been totally alone. I’ve been seeing women, but nothing serious. Kind of casual, really. Mostly because it’s all I’ve wanted to do, but also because they can’t really put up with my attitude for more than 2 dates.” He laughed in spite of himself as Martha joined in. “So, how about you?”

“Well… I’ve been in a couple of relationships. David was the first, then about 6 months after that, I dated my ex-boyfriend Ryan, and then my ex Leo. Each lasting about… 4 months.” She said, taking another bite from her steak.

“4 months? That’s not bad.” He mumbled, pretending to be interested in something in his dinner. The truth was, he was trying to avoid whatever the feeling was in the pit of his stomach. It felt strangely familiar, but not at all pleasant. He was also trying not to give these guys faces.

Martha hadn’t noticed his discomfort. “Yea, it would have gotten pretty serious if I’d have allowed it to. Both guys were really great,” she said.

Jack continued avoiding her gaze. “So why didn’t it?”

She was thankful that something was clearly interesting Jack in his dinner, because she knew by the heat in her cheeks that her embarrassment was showing. “Well… I don’t really know… They were great and I did love them…” The ache in his stomach turned into a pain. “But I wasn’t really... IN love with them. Not like I had been before.” She said with her head bowed in embarrassment as Jack picked his head up to look at hers. “I didn’t think it was worth settling for, if I knew there was better elsewhere.” She said honestly, a small smile fighting its way on to her lips.

Jack forgot about whatever had been in his stomach previously and smiled back.

“You know… we’re in a restaurant alone, having dinner alone… some people would call this a date.” He said with a sting of a smirk.

Martha tried not to smile as another pink flush covered her face. “Hmm, but we are still married… so it is more like an ‘outing’.” She informed him.

Jack laughed a little, “Of course.” He took a sip from his wine. “I have to admit,” He said, setting it back down. “I was starting to forget that we were still married.”

Martha nodded, “Yea, me too. I’d still think of you every now and then, usually when I saw a spider” She added cheekily, “but the married part skipped my mind.”

He nodded, placing his knife and fork down in his empty plate. “I think I was trying to forget.”

Martha sighed, “Yea, me too. That was the idea of moving out here in the first place.”

“Wow... well that makes me look like an idiot.” He said with a laugh.

Martha creased her brow in confusion.

He sighed, “I came out here for you. Well, I also couldn’t stand living in the bay anymore, not after… Sam… but I also missed you. I thought that I might be able to find you here.” He said, cringing as she smiled over at him. “I ate and drank at a different bar or restaurant every night for about 3 months, hoping you’d be working there or something.” He held his head in his hands as he confessed all.

Martha giggled, reaching her hand forward and grazing her fingertips down his arm in comfort.

“Don’t be embarrassed - that’s nice.” She assured him sweetly. “I wish you had found me.”

Jack smiled over at her, trying not to laugh at another flood of pink covering her cheeks. He always remembered her as this strong, confident girl. He forgot that she got embarrassed too.

Another brief awkward pause washed over them before Martha sat up straight and cleared her throat. He could tell she was trying not to smile. “Let’s change the conversation, shall we?”

“This is so cheesy,” she giggled as they strolled down the dimly lit street.

Jack groaned, “It’s not my fault you insisted on walking home. And I could hardly let you walk these streets by yourself.”

Martha laughed, “It’s a nice night. And I told you that you didn’t have to walk me.”

He shook his head, “If I didn’t walk you home, you would never shut up about me not being a gentleman.”

Martha considered it. “True. But I’m sure I’ll find something else to moan about.” She giggled as she turned to head up her stairs. They stopped near the door as she looked into her bags for the keys.

“Thank you for the meal, Jack. It was really nice.” She said, locating her keys and pushing them in the door.

“Thanks for the company.” He returned.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to lend you a knife for the walk back to your car?” She asked with a smile.

Jack laughed, shaking his head, “I think I’ll be fine.”

They both stood there, in front of the door, neither knowing what to do. Jack felt his hands fidget beside him, and he watched as Martha bit her lip. Should he lean forward? He wanted to.

Then he tensed up as he saw Martha lean forward herself, her hand on his chest and her lips on his cheek. It was so brief that he barely touched her elbow in response, but he still felt the glow of warmth on his cheek the whole walk home. If anyone had dared approach him, they’d have been sorry. He felt pretty invincible right now.

NEXT CHAPTER: EDIT - Is it bad that I'm not sure? :P

Sorry about the humungous gap... but I got busy... then lazy.... then uninspired. I've actually been writing another fic which I want to post... but I won't do until I've finished it. To avoid these sort of issues!

Or maybe you were waiting for me to come back from my holiday. Perfect timing btw! :P Another fic? I'm looking forward to that. *smiles*

“You’re a magnet to danger. How many times have I had to save you?” He laughed.

That's so true! How many times did he save her? Way too many to count them all! :rolleyes:

She was thankful that something was clearly interesting Jack in his dinner, because she knew by the heat in her cheeks that her embarrassment was showing. “Well… I don’t really know… They were great and I did love them…” The ache in his stomach turned into a pain. “But I wasn’t really... IN love with them. Not like I had been before.” She said with her head bowed in embarrassment as Jack picked his head up to look at hers. “I didn’t think it was worth settling for, if I knew there was better elsewhere.” She said honestly, a small smile fighting its way on to her lips.

That was so sweet! :wub: There is better sitting right in front of you, Martha!

He sighed, “I came out here for you. Well, I also couldn’t stand living in the bay anymore, not after… Sam… but I also missed you. I thought that I might be able to find you here.” He said, cringing as she smiled over at him. “I ate and drank at a different bar or restaurant every night for about 3 months, hoping you’d be working there or something.” He held his head in his hands as he confessed all.

Martha giggled, reaching her hand forward and grazing her fingertips down his arm in comfort.

“Don’t be embarrassed - that’s nice.” She assured him sweetly. “I wish you had found me.”

I love that part! :wub:

Then he tensed up as he saw Martha lean forward herself, her hand on his chest and her lips on his cheek. It was so brief that he barely touched her elbow in response, but he still felt the glow of warmth on his cheek the whole walk home. If anyone had dared approach him, they’d have been sorry. He felt pretty invincible right now.

Jacky is in love! *sings*

NEXT CHAPTER: EDIT - Is it bad that I'm not sure?

I don't know. Hopefully, you'll be inspired soon. :P

Please update soon.

“What’s new with Jacky?”

“Don’t call me that.” He said sternly.

That's right. You tell her Jack, Only Martha can call you that :P

I love how they're slowly admitting how they feel to each other but not acting on it yet :wub:

Well hopefully something GREAT will pop to mind for the next chapter :D

Loved it. Can't wait for more :)

The chapter was fantastic really... oh i loved it

Martha and Jack are soooo cute together and are sooo married but i like how they are just playing around a bit!!

have fun on your holiday and please update again soon!! :P

• 3 weeks later...

I'm nearly as bad as KaiyaBlake. Not AS bad though... So update, woman! :P

Sorry folks. As I've said before, I'm a pain. But I will udpate soon. The thing is, I've run out of pre-written chapters. Which sucks. But I've just been writing and I've nearly finished the next chapter, but the end is REALLY rushed. As in, I'm just skipping parts out. Because I'm getting a bit bored. :P So I'm not going to post it otnight, I'll give another bash at it later. I don't have loads more chapters left on this fic, and I really want to get at least one other fic I've been planning posted before mid-september! But I will only do so when I've finished writing it! Crazyness.

Bear with me, though. I'm really hoping I get the next chapter done for tomorrow. :)

Oh, and I know it's the wrong section for this, but I was wondering... is Belle actually dying? And did Tony try and kill that police guy that didn't kill Jack? I don't watch it anymore, but sometimes I flick onto channel five and catch glimpses - and it's confusing me!

Nearly as bad as me.. I have no idea what you're trying to say? :blink::lol:

Annnnnyway... ahh well to your questions that I am so nicely going to answer for you, Belle is dying :( and yeah Tony did try to kill Angelo, I didn't actually see what happened there though cause I missed a couple of eps... BUT... Angelo (cop guy :P) is still there so I'm guessing he didn't die haha.

Archived