Learning To Breathe

Guest Pengzilla

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm really sorry guys it's taken so long to post it. A new pandemic has been announced in the time that I've taken to post the next chapter! :P Not that it's my fault. :ph34r:

Anyway.. I kind of forgot about it... and everytime I remembered I realised what chapter was next and so obviously delayed it. :P It's an iffy chapter. I wrote it when... well... when I REALLY wasn't in the writing mood. I've just read through it and quite a few of the sentences are really dodgy. I'm sorry guys, but... I'm not re-writing. :P It doesn't help that it's a beast of a chapter, either.

So here you go... sorry for the delay.

OH - Hey hey new readers! Your av makes me sad though, stephyrose. :(

CHAPTER FOUR – LISTEN TO MY VOICE, IT’S MY DISGUISE

song... Hey There Delilah - Plain White T's

THE NEXT DAY (THURSDAY)

Normal people would class it as forgetfulness or an accident. Normal people would be able to put it away in a cupboard or in the boot of their car and wait until they bumped into the person again so they could return it. Normal people wouldn’t have spent the majority of the morning staring at the purple, woolly thing draped across the chair, their fingers itching and their temper rising. He wasn’t acting like a normal person because he knew that she’d done it on purpose. He knew that she had known he would turn down that stupid basketball game invitation and she knew that turning up uninvited to his apartment again would warrant a better excuse than ‘catching up’. So she left her beloved scarf in his tidy apartment, like a big radioactive slug, as a trick to get him to go to the basketball game on Friday to return it.

So that’s why he had just pulled up outside her apartment block on his day off. It was the middle of the day, when any normal person would be at work or out in the city, so he was sure that she’d be out of her apartment. He knew she was expecting him to meet her at the basketball game tomorrow to give the scarf back, so he decided to outsmart her by dropping it off here first. He knew it was childish and pretty silly seen as though he had the day off tomorrow – but he was just as stubborn as she was. He also knew it wasn’t wise to start getting involved with Martha McKenzie again.

He grabbed the purple scarf from the passenger seat with distain and roughly balled it in his palm as he shut his car door and hopped up the apartment block steps. He got an elderly lady from one of Martha’s flats to buzz him in; one of the many perks of being a constable, and used the residential listing in the lobby to find out which apartment was hers. Number 18.

Everything was going to plan. He handed the scarf over to Martha’s neighbour, who seemed to be quite fond of Martha and assured Jack she’d give it her when she got back. She had offered to let him sit in her kitchen and have some tea while he waited for Martha to return, but with a polite smile he refused. Near the end of the conversation a sly grin began to spread across his face as he imagined her frustration when the old lady handed her the scarf later, with the message from Jack that he wouldn’t be able to make it tomorrow. He’d added that message just to get his own back, really, because nowadays he didn’t like to be messed around. Especially by women who messed him about years ago.

The woman he was speaking to had a warm, friendly vibe about her that reminded him of his grandmother. He remembered that his grandmother had been just as conniving as he, so he felt the urge to share his plan with this woman. But she probably wouldn’t have understood why he didn’t want to see Martha again, and honestly Jack struggled to explain it to himself, so he kept tight lipped and finished the conversation.

“Well, thank you very much. It’s a shame I couldn’t be here to give it her myself, but – oh well. I’ll figure out something else to do with my day.” He smiled with a shrug.

The woman began nodding sympathetically, until a small smile appeared on her face. Jack recognised what it meant immediately, as if he could see the figure walking down the hall in the reflection of the woman’s large glasses. He could hear her tormenting footsteps and her smug keys that he could picture dangling from her fingertips.

“Jack! What a nice surprise!” Martha smiled from behind.

Jack groaned, ducking his head as he turned around. The moment he saw her face, fitted with a lopsided smirk, he realised he’d fallen for it. She hadn’t left the scarf so that he would take it to the basketball game at all – she’d known him better than that. She’d wanted him to come around of his own accord. It just made him more annoyed.

“Isn’t it just.” He said through gritted teeth.

“Oh splendid, this young man was just telling me what a shame it was that he had to miss you. Here, he came around to drop off your scarf.” The elderly woman said tenderly as she handed it over to Martha.

Martha smiled, looking down at the purple scarf in her neighbour’s hands with feigned surprise.

“Oh! I must have left it at yours last night by accident. I hadn’t noticed.” She exclaimed. She took it from the woman’s hands and tied it back around her neck. “It was so thoughtful of you to bring it back… but I could have gone without, being as it is summer and all. Or were you just using it as an excuse to come and visit me?” She grinned.

Jack glared at her, his face reddening with annoyance.

The elderly lady beside him giggled, “Oh Martha, you’re terrible! Don’t embarrass the boy.”

“He doesn’t mind. He knows I’m just joking. Right, Jack?”

Jack sighed heavily, nodding reluctantly. “Right. Anyway, I best be off.” He said hurriedly, smiling back towards the neighbour politely and brushing past Martha.

“Wait! I thought you said you had nothing to do today?” The lady beckoned in confusion.

Jack turned around, glancing from the lady to Martha. “Err… I…” He stalled for time.

“Great! I was thinking I would do that painting you needed doing today, Mrs Bulnor. But I would need help from a strong man for all the lifting of furniture. Jack, seen as though you’re not doing anything, would you mind?” She asked sweetly.

The lady gasped, “Oh! That would be wonderful! My children are coming over next weekend and it would be so nice if I could have the room all finished for them to see.” She said happily.

They both turned to Jack, awaiting his answer. He knew he had very little choice though; Martha had landed him in this situation purposely. Usually he wouldn’t have any problem in letting someone down or refusing to help, but Mrs Bulnor was different. He reminded her of his grandmother and everything sweet and warm and he couldn’t look into those magnified eyes and say no. So he unwillingly obliged, glaring at Martha as she playfully winked at him and directed him into Mrs Bulnors apartment while she got changed in her own.

Jack had decided to already begin moving the furniture in the living room while he waited for Martha. The sooner he got this over with the sooner he could be out of here. He would just finish this now and carry on with his life that was perfectly fine before Martha began to stalk him.

He was half way through pulling the chest of draws away from the wall when Martha walked in, clad in shorts and a singlet.

“Oh Jack, have you been working out?” She asked playfully, mock fanning herself with her hand. He groaned, turning his head in her direction.

Her hair was tied back and her golden skin looked so smooth against the bright light which poured from the windows to the right of her. She had a sparkling grin and her eyes were shining underneath her thick dark bangs. He’d been so busy staring at those drawstring shorts and complementary singlet that he didn’t realise he was pulling a little too sharply. The chest of draws began to tip toward him rather than move toward him and they were beginning to fall.

“Jack!” By the time she’d shouted out he’d controlled it and the chest of draws was firmly on all four legs. “Woah! Careful there! I know you’re ultra manly but no need to wreck the place.” She smiled.

He looked away quickly and stood up, wiping his forehead of the sweat with the back of his hand. He’d barely heard what she said; he was just focussing on NOT thinking about how good she looked. He didn’t need that now.

Martha walked over to him, putting her hands on her hips as she surveyed the room. She was oblivious to Jack’s awkwardness. “Right, okay, so the plan is to move all the furniture in the centre of the room, then use those sheets over there to cover them. Then we’ll paint the walls. They only really need two coats because it’s the same colour as before.” She told him.

Jack nodded.

Martha gasped. “You’re agreeing with me? Wow... that’s new.” She smiled.

Jack sighed, “Do I have any choice?” He asked.

Martha shrugged with a smile, “Probably not.”

They began moving and shifting furniture while Mrs Bulnor got drinks and a selection of nibbles from the kitchen. She came in about 10 minutes later when Jack and Martha had gathered all the furniture in the middle of the room in practical silence.

“Is it okay if I pop out for a while?” She asked them, “It’s just Mr Greenly from the second floor has just rang, and he’s borrowed the latest James Bond film from a friend and wants some company while he watches it.” She said.

Martha grinned, “Is Mr Greenly the 70 year old stud with the sunglasses that you’ve been flirting with recently?”

Mrs Bulnor blushed. “73 year old women do not flirt.” She dismissed.

Martha laughed, “Then why did I catch you throwing him compliments last night by the elevators?” She teased.

Mrs Bulnor sighed, rolling her eyes. “Are we living in a world where one woman cannot give a man a compliment without it being flirting?” She asked rhetorically. “I’ve left his number on the worktop in the kitchen if you need anything.” She said, clutching at her bag and making her way towards the door. She’d nearly closed the door behind her when Jack shouted out.

“Have fun on your hot date!” He called out teasingly, making his first remark on the conversation. Mrs Bulnor shut the door firmly, leaving a laughing Martha and Jack.

“Where did that come from?” She laughed. “I didn’t think you could say anything funny anymore.” She said. Jack looked at her puzzled. “I mean… it’s nice. You haven’t totally changed.” She said with a smile.

Jack rolled his eyes and grunted, appearing as if that comment had gone over his head.

“Come on, where are those sheets then?”

It was 5 o’clock by the time they fell onto the sheet covered sofa in exhaustion. After 4 hours they’d finished painting the room. They were going to wait another hour until the quick drying paint dried and then they would push all the furniture back. Until then they could just rest.

They hadn’t spoken all that much as they did it. Jack was the quietest of course; refusing to let Martha’s teasing remarks get to him. He hadn’t realised that the only reason she teased him was because she didn’t know what else she could say. She didn’t know what he liked to talk about anymore. She watched him occasionally, while he painted stroke after stroke without saying one word, and she noticed the fixed look of concentration on his face. She knew he wasn’t focussing on the painting; he’d had the same look before as he shifted the furniture. He looked pensive and deep in thought. Painting was supposed to be relaxing but he made it look painful. He still had the same look when he collapsed on the sofa, though now his eyes were closed.

She propped her elbow on the back of the sofa as she turned sideways to face him, her head leaning against her hand.

“What are you thinking about?” She asked.

Jack opened one eye, rocking his head to face her. “Nothing. Why, what should I be thinking about?” He sounded irritated and accusing already. She had hoped by now he would have lightened up on her a bit. Apparently he wasn’t overly happy with how today had worked out.

Martha sighed, giving up. “Umm... about how James Bond should have finished about 2 hours ago.” She smiled.

Jack found a small smirk growing on his lips. “Oh yea.” He said, pausing momentarily. “Eww.”

Martha laughed, swatting him. “Even old people have needs, Jack.”

Jack shook his head. “It’s wrong.”

“It’s… kind of sweet.” She cringed as she thought about it.

Jack scoffed. “How is it sweet? Are you saying that when you’re that old you’ll be…” He couldn’t find himself to say it; he just moved his eyebrows instead.

Martha shrugged, her eyes loosing a little more of their glow and her smile fading. “Who knows?”

Jack closed his eyes again as he tried to forget what subject they’d just been speaking about.

“I’m sorry I messed up your day, Jack.” She said genuinely, “I know this isn’t what you wanted to be doing on your day off. I was just hoping... I don’t know… that we could be friends again. That maybe I could cheer you up a bit…”

Jack looked down at her, he watched as she stared off in front at the blank cream wall. She was actually being genuine. In fact, something about her looked a little hurt. For the first time in a while, he felt something like pity creep up in his throat.

“It’s not been that bad. It beats sitting around in my apartment all day I suppose. And I’ve done a good deed…” He said.

Martha smiled up at him, “You have. You’ve got a friend for life, now. Mrs Bulnor will always be in your debt. She might even let you watch James Bond with her some time.” She fell into a fit of giggles.

Jack couldn’t help but join in with her infectious laughter, shaking his head as he covered his eyes with his palms, as if that was going to protect him from the visions that were beginning to play in his mind.

NEXT CHAPTER - YOU TAKE MY REASON NOT TO CARE: Old Jack? Are you there?

It was a really good chapter! :D

You just have to love Martha! She still knows Jack so well. Even after all this time!

Loved the teasing with Mrs Bulnor. :lol:

I hope we'll get to see the old Jack soon.

Can't wait for the next chapter! :D

Archived