Learning To Breathe

Guest Pengzilla

that was the best chapter ever... they are so cute and in love, i hope they can help each other they are both in some sort of pain!!!

please update again really quickly i want to know whats going to happen please, its a great story

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

P.S. I’d like you to try and make it better

:wub: That was way cute, the old Jack is coming back :D

I love it when J&M are both drunk, something good usually happens :P

Ace Chapter, Can't wait to read more :D

BTW; I love the songs at the start of each chapter. I've been listening to them, some great choices :)

That was a nice and fun JM moment! :wub: I just love these two when they're drunk! They are hilarious, esp. Swashbuck's 'roommate' (or 'streetmate'?)! :lol:

"I’m telling you, I have no home!” She exclaimed, tugging on his hand. “I live here with Swashbuck the mouse!” She informed him.

Jack had to stop walking to laugh. He still kept Martha firmly in his grip, but leant against a lamp-post to steady his weak body.

“I hope I remember this in the morning.” He chuckled.

:lol: I'm pretty sure Martha wouldn't want him to remember that! :P

P.S. I’d like you to try and make it better

Awww! :wub: She won't try, she WILL make it better. Anyway, I hope so!

More please.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only just found this fic and have just finished reading all the chapters posted so far and i'm hooked. It's so well written and you could just see it playing out on screen, it's funny, moving and addictive all at the same time. I love it.

Can't wait for the next chapter :lol: now

Okay. Sorry guys it's taking so long to update, but don't expect that to change anytime soon. Exams are upon us and I am freaking out.

This chapter is boring. Important though, so pay attention. :P Also spot if you can see the Twilight-dialogue-rip-off. It's just a one-liner. It might not be word for word... it might not even be a rip-off. :P Nobody cares..

Pray for me. Help me get my grades. :P

CHAPTER SEVEN – SOMEONE TO SAVE YOU

Someone To Save You by One Republic

When Jack got in from work that afternoon, he felt awful and brilliant at the same time. His hangover had worn off now, but he was tired and weak and even at 2 o’clock in the afternoon he was seriously considering going to bed. In fact he’d gotten so far as to unbutton his shirt and take off his shoes as he strolled into his bedroom. But as he entered he noticed something on his bed. Something long and of a familiar deep purple colour. Her scarf. And attached with it, was a note.

Hi, I’m Madeline the scarf. Take me back to the fabulous Martha please! She’ll be at Farlow Bridge at 2.30pm.

Jack couldn’t help but chuckle. He uttered a ‘cute’ as he placed it back on the bed, and then picked up the scarf next to it. He thumbed it in his hands again, digging his stubby nails into the holes of the interwoven wool. He’d never really seen much of this colour before. It wasn’t a usual purple: it was neither lilac nor violet. It was… rich and deep and reminded him of chocolate, though no chocolate would ever be this colour. He had to admit: he liked this colour.

He looked at his watch again, contemplating whether to go or not. Even though he could think of a million and one reasons not to, he found himself searching through his wardrobe and pulling out a t-shirt and jumper and grabbed his jeans from his bottom draw.

His jogging slowed as he spotted her in the centre of the bridge – her back against him and the wind whipping her long hair everywhere. His walking slowed further as he approached her and noticed that there were about 4 or 5 people standing around her with bags at their feet.

She must have heard his footsteps, because she turned around to him as he neared.

“Hey, you came!” She cheered.

Jack smiled, “Well, to be honest I wasn’t going to. But then Madeline began to cry and scream and I just couldn’t be doing with it.” He told her, passing the scarf over to Martha.

Martha tried to hold back her grin as she continued in seriousness. “Is that so? I’ll be having words with that little madam later.” But there was still a hint of a smirk in her words. “I hope she hasn’t spoiled the surprise.” She then mused as she began to walk over toward the bridge.

Jack followed. “What surprise?” There was something in the air that made him worry.

As soon as it had left his lips his question was answered. He looked down at the gear near their feet and the bunch of people who were stood around. Some were tourists and some wore plain black t-shirts with a small yellow logo embodied in the chests, who were fiddling around with jackets and fastenings that were hung around people’s shoulders. That was when he felt a jacket hug his own.

“No!” He barked, moving away quickly. “No.” He repeated sternly to both Martha and the laughing assistant. It turned out that the assistant and Martha are very good friends.

Martha giggled, “Come on you wuss. I’m doing it… so you have to.”

Jack stared at her in shock, shaking his head roughly.

“Nuh-uh!” He exclaimed, folding his arms. “I can’t- I’m not.” He told her sternly.

Martha scoffed, “And I thought I was supposed to be the girl who was afraid of heights…”

“Yea… what happened to that?” He asked curiously.

“Oh… I’m still afraid of them. But I’ve been told that the things you fear the most are usually the best things life can offer.”

Jack laughed, “You’re so wise Martha.” He said sarcastically.

“I know… which is why you should trust me. Come on, you wanted me to help you – this will help you. Trust me.” She said, letting her hands float toward the bridge as a reminder. “Let me help you.” She repeated.

Jack groaned, hanging his head down as he staggered forward toward her. He could hear her giggles and see her smug smile out the corner of his eyes. He moaned as he put his forehead to her shoulder and she rubbed his back, laughing some remark into his ear.

He could feel the blood pumping through his veins and his fingers felt as if they were fighting with the air. His muscles were tense and his teeth were clenched as he laughed and smiled.

He hadn’t felt anything like this in years. He felt as if he was bouncing on his toes, and his posture was the straightest it had ever been. His head was high and his neck was tall, and he had surplus energy running through his body.

“Great adrenaline rush… huh?” Martha smiled to him, lowering her coffee from her lips.

Jack grinned, nodding eagerly like a 7-year-old.

“Yea… surprisingly good.” He told her.

“So you’ll trust me next time?” She asked.

Jack twisted his lips and squinted towards her. “I’ll try.”

Martha laughed, “I suppose that will have to do for now.” She said, setting down her hot coffee in front of her.

After their jump, they’d retired at a local café. Jack had surprised the both of them by actually suggesting they do something together afterwards, and Martha had jumped at the chance. The bunjee jump had worked better than planned.

“I can’t believe you actually faced your fear,” He said. “I didn’t think you’d ever do anything as crazy as that.”

Martha shrugged. “Once upon a time I was willing to jump off a cliff for you.” She reminded him.

Jack chuckled to himself, “Oh yea,” He smiled at the memory. “So you were.”

She broke his gaze when she shyly curled her hair behind her ear and blew down gently onto her steaming coffee. She could feel him watching her, and truth be known she was keeping a check on him in her peripheral vision. If she didn’t do something soon, she knew the warm flush creeping up her neck would reach her cheeks and give her away completely.

“So Tony still lives in Summer Bay?” She enquired.

Jack shook his head, his smile slowly wearing off. “No, about an hour along the coast from the bay. It’s closer to Luc there, but now Luc’s getting busier and busier with university he’s thinking of moving back. He’s getting pretty lonely I think.” He said. “Do you have any news on anyone from the bay? I assume you’re still in contact with your granddad.” He said, as if it were the most obvious statement.

Martha sighed heavily, her fingers rotating in the rising steam from her coffee absentmindedly.

“Then you’d be wrong.” She muttered. “We lost contact about a year and a half ago.”

“Why is that?”

She stared deeper into her coffee for no reason. “It’s a long story.”

“I think I should be able to keep up.” Jack said.

Martha sighed with reluctance, sitting back in her chair and draping her wrists on the edge of the table as she looked at him.

“I met someone 6 months after I left the bay. I was still pretty... you know... upset over what had happened between us, and so I fell head over heels at the first chance. He was powerful, and said and did what he wanted to. It was refreshing.” She said with a small smile. “He was pretty different to you. Especially when it concerned the law. I wasn’t stupid, and soon enough I realised that it was more than I could deal with and I tried to get out. But I was in too deep and I knew too much… and he just wouldn’t let me go. Granddad knew something was wrong because I stopped calling, and Ric must have gotten wind of his concerns because he came down.” She rolled her head to her shoulder as she stared at the side of her coffee. Jack noticed that her eyes had filled up. “I told him all about David and Rich was going to take me home. But then David showed up at my apartment while we were packing and Ric told him that I was going to leave. David didn’t like it so he took out his gun and shot at me.”

Jack couldn’t help but audibly gasp and sit up in his chair, even though he could plainly see that Martha was okay and breathing right in front of him. But she wasn’t really alright. He could see that from the way she was sat, from the tears in her eyes and the tremble in her voice.

“Did it hit you?” He asked fearfully.

Martha shook her head, and Jack felt his eyes close and air pass his lips in relief.

“It hit Ric.” She choked, raising a hand to rub her temple. “I can’t remember where exactly, but it was below his middle. It shot right through to his spine. He just… fell to the floor. There was blood everywhere. He was lying by my feet, unconscious and bleeding out. David still had the gun…”

Jack leant forward, putting his hand over hers. He was starting to wish he hadn’t pushed her into telling him. He had forgotten how much it hurt him when she was sad. It hurt him even more to think she went through all this without him.

“I wanted so badly to help Ric, but David still had the gun and I was so scared I couldn’t move. He looked so angry and sincere as he shouted at me. He told me that I was the one who’d killed Ric, and that I was going to follow him. I just stood there and waited for it all to be over.” She retold. “But apparently the neighbours had heard the previous shouting, and so they’d already called the cops. They came barging in and saw David with the gun, so tackled him to the ground.”

Jack winced as he asked. “And Ric?”

“He didn’t die.” She said. “But he suffered spinal damage… and we were told he’d never walk again. Needless to say he was... mortified.” She said, glancing down at their hands.

Jack squeezed hers. “That still doesn’t explain why you aren’t speaking to Alf and Ric anymore.”

“Of course it does! Why would they even want to speak to me again? I ruined his life, Jack. The least I deserve is losing my family.” She said.

“So they stopped speaking to you?” Jack asked, shocked. He knew the whole idea was awful, and he couldn’t imagine being in Ric’s position, but then again he could never imagine Alf or Ric blaming Martha for something like this. They loved her far more than a granddad and cousin typically would.

“No. I broke contact with them. I didn’t want to make them have that decision, too.”

Jack sighed, “You’re not to blame you know, Martha. I’m sure they don’t blame you.”

She shook her head. “If it weren’t for my stupidity, then Ric would be walking right now.” She said. “I can’t expect them to just forget that. I know I can’t just forget it either.”

There was nothing more to be said. Jack could feel the finality in Martha’s voice, and he had to face it that he didn’t really have much control over Martha’s life anymore.

“Anyway,” She sniffed, breaking contact with Jack as she sat upright. “Haven’t you been to the bay since you left?” She asked.

“No. It reminds me too much of... you know… That’s why I left in the first place.” He said briefly, before a pause of silence.

“Okay, before one of us announces we only have weeks to live, I’m going to change conversation.” He joked, taking a quick gulp from his coffee before eagerly leaning forward and bringing up some story about a cat and a tree. He failed to notice Martha’s delayed smile, and vacant expression for the next 5 or so minutes.

NEXT CHAPTER: IT'S WHAT YOU DO TO ME - A bit more talk about what's happened while they've been seperated... over a candle light dinner. Yes, that's right.. it's date night. :P

Archived