Learning To Breathe

Guest Pengzilla

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“Apparently no one else but you understands your work ethic on getting mentally unstable people from the ledge of an 18-story-building. I’d have argued your case for you, but I struggled to defend the part where you told the man that if you were his child you’d hate him too.”

I kinda love this Jack :lol:

I happen to find his grumpyness and overall I-cant-be-arsed attitude a real turn on :P

And the station receives a phone call for Jack, from the hospital. Who could it be about?

Hmmm, I wonder who that could be about ^_^

Great start pengy!! ... and I never come on here anymore lol. So it must be good xD

More please :D Oh and I sure hope you've got a fair few chapters down, because I dont fancy waiting another year for this to finish lol

:o Cheeky! And yes, I'm writing the tenth chapter atm. :P

Anyway, here's the next chapter!

CHAPTER TWO – PEOPLE SHOULD SMILE MORE

(Song by Newton Faulkner *sways*)

Davies was a pretty good sergeant – understanding, trustworthy and loyal. Davies was much more lenient with the rules than McGrath had ever been, and was never shy of showing his respect for his constables. He was around about the same age as McGrath, but with a full head of dark hair, and attended seasonal golfing events with him too. Jack found it difficult to imagine McGrath and Davies laughing and joking while walking on the greens – from Jack’s view they seemed to have totally different senses of humour. Davies found pretty much anything funny, while McGrath rarely smiled.

“Jack,” Davies smiled, tapping a folder on his desk that clearly said Jack’s name on the cover. “I’ve got your police profile out.” He said with an excited grin, as if it was a new toy that his uncle had bought him for Christmas.

Jack raised his eyebrows. “…Great?”

Davies’ face dropped and he sighed, shaking his head. “This is exactly what I’m going to talk about.” He began to mumble, opening the folder and peering inside the sheets of paper. Jack couldn’t help but straighten his back to try and sneak a peak at what was written inside. He could see it was official, and he could see a mug shot of him in his cop outfit. After that there was just a lot of scribble from a faintly familiar handwriting belonging to his first sergeant.

Davies cleared his throat and sat up in his seat a little, as if mimicking the sergeant he’d never met. “Constable Jack Holden has become a well-respected, trustworthy member of our team whom has grown in the time he’s worked along side my staff and I. His enthusiasm and passion for the job is what keeps the wheels of this station in motion sometimes, and his drive is what makes me certain he will have a very long and successful career in the force.” He finished reading and dropped the pages back onto the desk, looking up at Jack expectantly. “Is this really about you?”

Jack sighed, feeling the direction in which this was going. He shifted uneasily in his seat and crossed his legs, bringing his hand up to the back of his head as he scratched his scalp. He didn’t need to answer; he understood that it was a rhetorical question.

“McGrath has said similar too. He’s told me about this young man who has such drive and energy and never gives up on anyone or any case. I’m wondering if we’ve got our wires crossed somewhere along the line because - Jack I can’t see any of this in you.” He said.

“I finish cases. I work over-time if I need to.” Jack objected.

Davies nodded, “Yes, but I still don’t understand why. You have no passion or desire to close the cases – you just seem to go onto autopilot or something. It’s like it is no longer a career… it’s just a job to you.” He said.

Jack sighed again, his fingertips scratching at this jaw this time as he thought of something to say.

“I don’t actually know what you want me to say, Searge. I’ve changed. People can change, and I have. I’m older now and I’m not as interested in the job as I used to be. My priorities have shifted.” Jack explained, unsure if that is really what Davies wanted.

And apparently by the look on Davies face, it wasn’t. “Yes but why have you changed? What are your priorities now?” Davies asked. “I mean, is it because of this station? Is it me or a colleague?” He added with a little desperation.

Jack shook his head, “No, no it’s not you or anyone else here. Or the station.” He promised.

Davies let out a breath of relief, which Jack found slightly strange, but had little time to question him upon it. “Well… what has?” He prodded.

Jack felt a sting of intrusion and glanced down at the floor. “I’d rather not go into it, Searge.” It was all Jack could say as he trained his eye line on the wooden table in front.

And then Davies said something that he probably shouldn’t have done. “Is it because of Sam?” His voice was oozing with sympathy and pity and it caught Jack’s attention so much that he had to look up. Davies was an inquisitive guy and he was only trying to help, thinking that he and Jack could be friends and try and work it out together, but he probably shouldn’t have said anything. He realised this once he’d seen Jack’s face.

“McGrath told you that?” He enquired angrily, rocking his head from side to side in disbelief. “I guess I shouldn’t be all that surprised really… it was going to come out sooner or later.” He mumbled to himself, shifting again in his seat and rubbing his hands over the tops of his legs. “Alright, yea, Sam turned out to be a psychotic murderer, but that’s a part of my life I’d like to forget and move on from; if it’s alright with you? I’d rather you didn’t tell anyone else too.” Jack’s head was high and he was staring Davies right in the eye.

“Sure, okay. But if you ever need it I’m here to talk. I can be a friend as well as a boss.” He told Jack with a nod of the head just as Jack was standing to leave. Jack mimicked the nod with clenched teeth and then quickly left the room, his head banging with all the things he knew he should have said to Sergeant Davies.

He’d now realised how similar Davies was to Colleen from the Diner. He wanted to be everyone’s friend so badly, and if that meant being their boss came last on his priorities then so be it. He was desperate to be popular among his staff, but also desperate to get the gossip. He could feel Davies’ desperation for Jack to open up and tell him his feelings, even though he obviously already knew what was behind it all. That’s what probably made Jack so angry.

He was at his desk, fumbling around with his papers stiffly as he refused all of Lois’ attempts to make conversation when the station phone rang. Jack made no move to get it.

“I’ll answer the phone then.” Lois complained, moving over to reception and picking up the receiver. She was in his peripheral vision, just so that if he noticed a sense of urgency in her moves then he’d be right up and onto the balls of his feet, just in case it meant that there was a good case that was waiting for him outside these walls and away from Davies’ questions.

But unfortunately there was nothing, just a slow “right…” and an “are you sure?” before she spun around to face him. He felt her eyes burning into him and he lifted his head in annoyance.

“What?” He spat out at her, as if she’d been prodding him in the same spot for the last 2 hours.

“Phone… for you…” She said as she held out the receiver.

Jack groaned as he rolled his chair back and stood up. “Who is it?”

Lois smiled in anticipation, quite excited to see his response. “The hospital. They’re phoning about a Ms Martha Holden.” She told him, her eyebrows rose. “Your wife.”

Ever since hearing her name again Jack’s head had been somewhere else. He was just transfixed with how the syllables sounded and amazed at how he’d seemed to have forgotten. He never thought he’d forget Martha; not until he realised he already had.

He was pretty surprised to hear that she was in his local hospital. He’d moved out here primarily because she had, but once he’d realised that his life didn’t belong with Martha he gave up looking for her. He’d noticed himself doing it subconsciously; eating out in different places of the city every now and then just in case he happened to bump into her, or going to bar’s that seemed to be Martha’s kind of work. But as of recently this had stopped. He’d given up. And just as he gave up, she came to him. If he were the old Jack, the optimistic, ‘enthusiastic’ guy that he was he would have probably seen this as a sign.

But he had changed, and he didn’t see it as a sign - just a speed bump to disrupt his usual day-to-day routine.

He was at the hospital now and he’d just had to say the name to reception that felt like foreign language on his tongue. The pretty woman had directed him down the corridor and told him Martha was currently in cubicle 3a. He had just passed 2c and could feel his palms beginning to sweat. He didn’t know why.

He also didn’t know why his stomach had started churning and feeling all light and powdery. He began to feel… nervous.

He shook himself out of it and then proceeded in opening the door, keeping his face close to the wood as he slowly and silently pushed the door ajar. He could hear voices on the other side.

“- I don’t care. I’ve been through this before with lots of doctors - I’ve made my decision!” He heard her say in a voice he could instantly remember as angry. He frowned a little as he waited to hear the rest of the conversation. But he heard nothing, there was complete silence in the room for another 5 seconds which he found odd until the door fell from in front of him and he saw her face.

She was grinning up at him and the look in her eyes showed surprise. Flashbacks of beaches and diners and a wedding spun him dizzy as he watched the glow of her face, and a smile would have grown on his lips if it were not for her arms that threw themselves around his neck and her body that bumped into his; knocking him backwards. He automatically grabbed onto her to steady them both; or so he told himself.

“Jack! Oh is it good to see you?” She said with a little laugh as they parted and he figured it was something he probably wasn’t meant to understand.

“Hey.” He said a little too brightly for his usual self.

She was still holding onto him at arms length, still smiling up in that huge smile of hers he found himself admitting that he’d missed.

“Sorry that you had to come all the way here. I mean, I wouldn’t have let them call you if I’d have known. I know you were probably busy or something.” She apologised.

“Yea… I was working.” He told her, and Martha’s grin began to fade a little. Her wide open eyes dimmed and her eyebrows rose as if she questioned her hearing.

“Honesty. That’s... refreshing I guess.” She said, forcing a smile. She then let go of Jack and turned around to her doctor, mumbling her goodbyes and watching as he left the room ahead of them.

“So I’m going now. Is it still okay if I catch a lift with you?” She asked.

Jack nodded, “Sure, it’s why I came. They said you might have concussion or something – are you okay?”

Martha slipped her hands in her top jeans pocket as she rolled her eyes. “Yea, I’m fine. It’s just the doctors and nurses being a little dramatic. I fell over and hit my head on the ground.” She said.

Jack couldn’t help but stifle a laugh, bringing his closed fist to his lips to hide his smirk. Martha laughed as she playfully hit him.

“Hey! Not funny! Floor hurts!” She defended herself, hitting him again before reaching out to her bag that was sat on the bed. “Well, if you’ve finished laughing at my misfortune then I’d like to get out of here.” She suggested, walking to the door and opening it wide. She smiled as she watched Jack nod and walk through, definitely noting with a grin how little his figure had changed.

The drive home had begun in silence, which had lasted about 5 to 10 minutes. The air was thick but warm and friendly yet strange at the same time. She figured both of them were thinking about how weird it was to be together again, so suddenly and out the blue. She knew that if she had known she definitely would not have worn this top today.

She kept looking over at him, unable to believe that she was in such close proximity to him again. She’d thought about him lots, and dreamt about him often. Even more so recently, after she let herself remember the good times in her life again. First when she’d moved out here she’d punished herself for letting her mind wander to him, and it had initially worked. She began thinking of him less and less and it started to not hurt as much. She got new boyfriends, though none of them lasted long, usually only a couple of months before she called it off for some reason or another. The truth was she never found herself quite as happy as she’d been when she was with Jack, so she didn’t think putting up with anything less was worth it.

Her arms straightened against the tops of her legs as she stretched and she yawned as she looked out the window. She was only a few minutes from home.

“Nice neighbourhood.” Jack commented sarcastically from beside her, looking around at the graffiti covered walls and herds of teenage rebels gathering around in teams of armies.

“Isn’t it just? It’s the distinctive smell of urine that attracted me to this town.” She pretended to be grateful of the ‘compliment’, and then giggled a little. “Where do you live then?”

Jack sighed, “Umm, not here.” He answered, turning a corner onto Martha’s street. She had expected him to go on to actually telling him where she lived; but he didn’t. He just drove in silence.

“Right. Well, how’s work?” She asked him friendlily.

“... It’s work. I go 5 days a week, arrest some imbeciles and make the city a safer place. At least for a day, until some other scum comes along thinking he can make his own rules.” Jack said with a hint of annoyance. “And that gives me another job for the next week.” He finished, indicating to the side as he slowed down and stopped. “Is this it?” He asked, ducking a little as he looked through her window to the block of apartments.

She nodded and then looked down at the gear stick. “You used to love your job, Jack.” She said with a little sadness, “What happened?”

Jack sighed, feeling the lecture from earlier coming up again. “I changed.” He shrugged, hoping it would be enough for Martha.

“Not because of Sam, I hope.” She said, bringing up the venomous name a second time that day. It almost made Jack want to lash out on something.

“No. It isn’t.” He answered firmly and angrily through gritted teeth. “This is your apartment block, isn’t it?” He reminded her rudely.

She nodded again, sensing his temper, and stood out the car. Just as she was about to close the door she noticed he wasn’t getting out. She bent down and poked her head back in the car.

“Aren’t you coming up?” She asked disappointedly.

“No.” He said bluntly. “I’m supposed to be working.” He informed her.

Martha nodded slowly, forcing a smile. “Oh, okay then.” She sighed a little. “Thanks for picking me up, Jack. It was…. It was nice to see you’re still breathing.” She finished with a small smile.

Jack nodded, “Yea, you too.” He replied, waiting for her to close the door. When she did he immediately drove off, leaving Martha slowly traipsing up the steps to her apartment block alone. She picked her head up just in time to see him whiz around the corner, and with a disappointed and heavy sigh she pushed her key into the lock and let herself in. She felt sad and cheated by the world that such a wonderful man had had to change.

NEXT CHAPTER: THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY - A riot continues to change Jack’s life as he knows it. Can Martha actually help him or will Jack keep her away?

Love love love it ^_^

“Nice neighbourhood.” Jack commented sarcastically from beside her, looking around at the graffiti covered walls and herds of teenage rebels gathering around in teams of armies.

“Isn’t it just? It’s the distinctive smell of urine that attracted me to this town.” She pretended to be grateful of the ‘compliment’, and then giggled a little. “Where do you live then?”

Jack sighed, “Umm, not here.” He answered, turning a corner onto Martha’s street. She had expected him to go on to actually telling him where she lived; but he didn’t. He just drove in silence

Loved that ^

I'm loving the tension between them as well.

Shame Jacks changed so much... but I kinda like that lol. It makes it more of a challenge :D

And typical for Martha to fall over xD ... I wonder if she was drunk :P (as long as its nothing serious though :()

Cant wait for more :)

Martha slipped her hands in her top jeans pocket as she rolled her eyes. “Yea, I’m fine. It’s just the doctors and nurses being a little dramatic. I fell over and hit my head on the ground.” She said.

Jack couldn’t help but stifle a laugh, bringing his closed fist to his lips to hide his smirk. Martha laughed as she playfully hit him.

“Hey! Not funny! Floor hurts!” She defended herself, hitting him again before reaching out to her bag that was sat on the bed. “Well, if you’ve finished laughing at my misfortune then I’d like to get out of here.” She suggested, walking to the door and opening it wide. She smiled as she watched Jack nod and walk through, definitely noting with a grin how little his figure had changed.

I loved that part. :lol: Martha checked him out. Who wouldn't? :P

I expected Jack to be so happy to see her but he was rude to her and couldn't have left any faster. He really has changed. :(

Hopefully, he'll let her in and she can help him forget Sam and be happy again.

More please. :D

Well.. hopefully updates will come as frequently as this! I can't make any promises though, as my fic-writing time seems to be tied up in another fic, that's totally Barbara's fault. So if updates start to lag... you know who to blame.

Oh, and sorry. This is a beast of a chapter. There's quite a few long ones coming up. I usually aim on a chapter being no longer than 4 pages. (It rarely happens.) But this chapter beats the majority at 5 and a half pages. And I use small font. My bad. :P

CHAPTER THREE – THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY

(Song by Pink. *does dance*)

FIVE DAYS LATER

Jack was stood with his hands in his pockets, just watching in disgust at all the protestors waving and jumping and shouting in their sweaty and scruffy appearance. He didn’t even know what they were screaming about, but he just knew that there were about a two hundred of them gathering around this KFC restaurant in the heart of the city and back-up had been requested from all over.

Lois walked up to him laughing, crossing her arms over her chest and nudging into him as she stood beside him. “You look as if someone just threw up on your shoe.” She giggled.

Jack shifted his feet, moving away from her so she was no longer touching him as she rocked back and forth. He ignored her previous comment. “What do they think they’re doing?” He asked in disbelief. “It never fails to shock me how stupid these people are – why would this ever work?”

Lois sighed. “They’re protesting, Jack. It’s what people like us do if we want to be heard. It’s the only time the government or the big powers will listen.” She explained. “By creating chaos - they have to listen. It’s our only way to actually get a say in how this country is run.”

Jack shook his head, “What are they even shouting about?”

“KFC apparently treats chickens very cruelly.” She informed him.

Jack scoffed. “Of course. I wouldn’t want to eat a live chicken.”

Lois sighed, “They mean BEFORE they are killed, Jack.” She shook her head at him and watched on. “I admire people like this, people who stand up for what they believe in. They have such confidence to do this… sometimes I wish I could be as strong as them.” She opened up honestly.

Jack’s mouth twisted. “Do you want me to get you a sign?” He offered sarcastically.

She rolled her eyes at him with a smile and then unfolded her arms. “Shut up, Holden.” She grumbled at him. “Let’s go then… try and tame this wild beast of a crowd.”

“Can’t wait.” Jack muttered as he followed her into the huge sea of people, shouting and instructing orders angrily as he tried to keep things under control.

In only a few minutes a riot had broken out between a cop and a group of angry protestors, and all hell had broken loose. There were arms and legs being flung around due to desperate attempts to punch and kick police officers who were getting in their way in protesting for what they believed in. However the moment had gotten that intense that they had even turned on each other whenever a fellow protestor had tried to intervene. Jack found himself in the heart of it all, ducking from punches and pulling out various thugs that were the main trouble causers. The aim was to just control as many as possible, and to do that they simply grabbed and arrested. Jack was probably on his fifth protestor as he grabbed the small wrist of a woman who had just pushed him from behind.

He spun around with her tiny wrist in his hand and held on tight, getting his handcuffs from the pocket of his jacket. However by the time he’d flicked them open he’d realised whose arm he was holding, and he was staring her straight in the face.

“Martha, what are you doing here?” He shouted over the crowd. “And why the hell did you just push me?”

Martha looked guilty but couldn’t seem to hide the smile that was creeping on her face. “I just thought I’d drop by for the literature.” She joked, “KENTUCKY FRIED CRUELTY!” She then continued to scream with a laugh. Jack grimaced and tugged on her arm sharply, shutting her up with a wince of pain.

“That’s not helping, Martha.” He told her flatly.

Martha frowned, looking down at the handcuffs in his hand. “You’re not going to arrest me are you?” The look in her eyes was so pained and shocked that he just couldn’t find himself to put those harsh metal rings around her soft wrists. He paused for a minute, hating himself for falling again. He pulled her closer to him and grabbed her other wrist to swing it to her back, avoiding eye contact as he dragged her from the crowd. She was fidgeting and squirming as he continued to haul her away from all the chaos and away from the police cars. He towed her all the way out of the situation, and when far enough away, he let her go. She began to rub her red wrists immediately.

“Get out of here, Martha.” He grunted before turning around to walk away. But her voice called him back.

“You mean you’re not arresting me?” She asked.

Jack sighed, spinning back. “No. Now don’t make me regret it – go!” He instructed impatiently.

She smiled up at him gratefully, nodding her head. “Thanks, Jack.”

He nodded and watched as she hurried off down some street and out of sight. He looked around quickly, checking that no one had seen, and then made his way briskly back to the out-of-control-crowd.

Lois’ neck craned as she watched him run back into the heart of it all, wondering who the girl with the long brown hair was and why Jack had let her go. She’d never seen Jack pass the opportunity of arresting a protestor before; he usually took great pleasure in it.

Jack was at home now, clad in his jeans and a light t-shirt as he turned on the oven. It was about 6 o’clock and he was starving – he had had to skip lunch because of that stupid protest. He sighed as he opened his freezer and peered in the draws, choosing his meal as the cooker heated.

When someone knocked on the door, Jack thought it a little strange as he hadn’t buzzed anyone in the building. He shrugged as he closed the freezer, assuming it was a neighbour, and made his way the short distance across his kitchen to the door.

“Jack!” Martha exclaimed with a huge grin. She was dressed in jeans and a light t-shirt also, with a long coat and a deep purple scarf hanging around her neck.

“What are you doing here?” He demanded with confusion, “And how did you get my address?”

Martha laughed, “Aren’t you going to invite me in?” She enquired.

Jack stared back. “No.” As if it was obvious.

Martha rolled her eyes, lifting her bag back up to her shoulder as she pushed forward and brushed by him. Jack groaned as he turned around, reluctant to close the door as he was hoping she’d be leaving pretty quickly.

“Thanks for the welcome.” Martha said sarcastically.

“Thanks for the intrusion.” Jack parroted in the same tone.

Martha didn’t take offence like anyone else would; instead she just smirked at his rudeness.

“What do you want, Martha?” He asked impatiently.

“I’d like to say thanks for today.” She said in seriousness, “I really appreciate it, and I know what situation I put you in. So… thank you.”

He nodded, putting one hand in his pocket. “Well, it won’t be happening a second time.” He replied.

Martha stared in amazement; her mouth hung a little open as she raised her eyebrows. “Unbelievable. Can you not just accept a ‘thank you’ like a normal human-being?”

Jack groaned, “Is that all?”

Martha sighed, nodding slowly. “Yea, I guess so- oh, are you cooking? I’m starving!” She exclaimed, getting distracted by the lit up oven at the side of them. Jack groaned some more as he watched Martha drop her bag to the floor and slip off her shoes.

“Martha, I was kind of planning on just having dinner alone tonight.” He said, unsubtly hinting a ‘so get out’.

“Great! We can catch up without interruptions!” She exclaimed as she kicked off her shoes to the corner of the room and then peered into the oven. Jack knew she wouldn’t have been able to miss the unsubtle hint for her to leave in his words, so he knew he wouldn’t be able to get her out now.

“What are you going to have?” She asked again full of ignorance.

“Chicken.” He said with the tiniest hint of a smirk.

Martha glanced up at him, scorning him with her eyes. “You’re such an insensitive person.” She said. “But I guess that’s a compliment to you.” She watched as Jack contemplated her comment, and then fell into a nod of agreement. She couldn’t help but laugh a bit. “Well, don’t just stand there – shut the door. It’s letting in a little draft. Also, we should have a pizza or something. You may be evil enough to stomach chicken after today – but I’m not.” She said, turning off the cooker and sifting through the draws in search of a take-out menu.

Jack groaned, reluctantly closing the door behind him. It was looking to be a long night.

They ended up ordering two pizzas – one with chicken and one without. Jack had insisted, just to be awkward, that he wanted chicken on his, so Martha made a deal that if he had chicken she had wedges. Jack ate the majority though.

He was now sprawled on the sofa and she was laid on the floor beside the pizza boxes, picking up various toppings out of the soggy cardboard box as they finished. They were both pretty stuffed, and so were just enjoying a light conversation with a beer. They had made little movements in a while.

“Why do we always do this?” She asked, rolling over on her back. “Eat too much so we’re completely stuffed and can’t move for hours.”

Jack sighed, closing his eyes. “Because it’s good not to move.”

Martha snorted with a giggle, her hand over her mouth. “True. Oh, so true.” She said, picking up her bottle of beer and bringing it to her lips. She sat up as she took a drink, and then took the opportunity to look around.

“You have a really nice apartment, Jack.” She complimented, “Very… tidy.”

He nodded. “I bet yours isn’t this tidy, is it?”

Martha laughed. “Nope.” She muttered into her drink, taking another gulp as she hoisted herself up using the coffee table. As she stood on her feet she looked around the room. “Don’t you have any pictures?”

He shook his head, “Nope.”

“Not at all?” She asked, hurt in her voice as if she’d just offended him.

“No… they just clutter the place up.” He said.

She turned around and moved over to the settee which he was laid across, and sat down on the arm of the sofa nearest his feet.

“Are you going to be my stalker now?” Jack asked with amusement.

Martha squinted at him, “Umm, I’m pretty sure stalkers don’t make themselves known and offer to share a pizza with their victims.”

“True. But you’ve never really conformed, have you?” He asked.

She smiled, “How’s Tony and Luc?” She asked.

He sighed. “They’re alright. Last time I heard Luc was in his final year at uni, and Dad was teaching PE again at some school.” He said.

“Last time you heard?” She picked up on.

“Mm,” Jack hummed, “He doesn’t live in the city anymore, and we’re both kind of busy. We try to call every week or so.” He said. “So what about you… what are you doing now?” He enquired, changing the subject.

“Umm, nothing at the moment. A bit of this, a bit of that. Temp work really, just to keep me going. I quit my job about a month ago. I worked in the offices of a law firm. It was really boring.” She said.

Jack nodded a little, wondering what to say next. He hadn’t thought she’d say she had no job. He was trying to stop anything rude coming out of his mouth.

“So is that why you left – because you hate it so much?” He asked.

Martha shrugged, “Kind of. I just realised life was far too short to put up with something you’re not 100% happy with.” She said, “You only get one shot at life, so why settle for anything less than perfect?”

Jack nodded, though he didn’t entirely agree. He settled for less than perfect all the time: just because he knew that perfect didn’t really exist.

A silence crept back on them and Martha looked down at her watch. It was 11:30.

“Well, I guess I should be going.” She said as she stood up and made her way to the kitchen. Jack dragged himself up and followed, walking her to the door.

“You didn’t have to get up.” She told him with a smile.

Jack sighed, “Yes I did. You’d only complain that I was being un-gentlemanly if I didn’t.”

Martha laughed, nodding her head. “Yea…” She popped her shoes on and pulled her bag up to her shoulder. They walked to the door and he opened it for her, and Jack was just about to say he was glad she’d stopped by, when Martha blurted out something that seemed to have been waiting on her tongue all night.

“I heard all about Sam and Rory.” She said, “Granddad phoned me the morning they found her body, and told me about it all. He told me that you’d found Rory, and was taking it pretty bad.” She said, watching as his face fell and his eye line focused on the wall beside her head. “And I didn’t go to see if you were okay.” She added softly, as if Jack hadn’t already known. She sighed again, “I really wish I had. Maybe I’d have been able to help.”

The previous words that had been in Jack’s head had escaped now, and all happiness and optimism had gone with it. He fell back into his usual self and met her eye line with his cold gaze.

“You probably wouldn’t have done. Don’t beat yourself up about it.” He said bluntly. “It was nice to see you’re still breathing.” He said, copying her statement from 5 days ago with little humour evident in his voice.

Martha frowned a little but understood as she stepped through the door and turned around. Just as she was about to give her goodbye she dived into her bag, suddenly remembering something she had.

“I’m going to a minor league basketball game the day after tomorrow with some friends.” She told him, withdrawing an orangey-red ticket from her purse. “I was wondering if you’d like to come along. I have a spare ticket.” She offered, handing it out to him. He stared down at the paper in her hand, making no movement to touch it.

“I- I’m okay thanks. Save the ticket for one of your protestor friends.”

Martha sighed heavily and leant in to his apartment. She placed the ticket he had refused to touch onto his worktop and then returned back to her place at the door.

“Well it’s up to you, I won’t make you. Just think about it, please. I’ll see you there at 1.45 if you’re going. I’ll be near the blue gates.” She told him, backing up from the door. “I hope to see you there, but I understand if you’re too busy.” She said with a smile, and walked down the corridor and out of sight.

Jack closed the door behind her, staring down at the burning orange strip of paper in front of him. It just so happened to be his day off on Friday, but he wasn’t going to go and waste it at some rubbish basketball game with people he didn’t know. He flicked off the lights and left the tidying until tomorrow morning. He retired to his bed, failing to notice the deep purple scarf hanging over one of his kitchen chairs.

NEXT CHAPTER - LISTEN TO MY VOICE, IT'S MY DISGUISE: How does Jack feel when he's tricked into spending more time with Martha?

How does Jack feel when he's tricked into spending more time with Martha?

Errmm ... Elation? :P

Great chapter!

A KFC protest :lol: Awesome! lol.

I love how Jack's just a grumpy ass and Martha just ignores him ^_^

Loving this fic! Mooooore please! :D

Well.. hopefully updates will come as frequently as this! I can't make any promises though, as my fic-writing time seems to be tied up in another fic, that's totally Barbara's fault. So if updates start to lag... you know who to blame.

:o My fault? I never forced you to write the other fic. Besides, you said you liked writing it and wanted to get back to it. :D So, don't you blame me! Besides, your exams come first!

If the updates aren't as frequent in the future, the other readers may blame me but they will love me when you post the other fic because that means they will be able to read another JM fic. Fic I reminded you of, may I add! :P

I'd like to say I really don't mind long chapters. So don't feel bad about it! :wink:

Martha is funny. She just showed up at Jack's place, invited herself in and ignored his comments. :lol:

I just hope Martha will come and get her scarf and drag him to the basketball game.

More please.

Archived