Learning To Breathe

Guest Pengzilla

That was a fantastic chapter i love it!! i do hope the old Jack comes back, its so obvisous that Jack wants to be with Martha but he is so stubborn!!! i hope he doesn't miss his Chance!!

please update again really soon... waiting like the last time killed me :P

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yo.

Okay, here's the next one!

I didn't put the song on this one because.. well the song isn't that great. And so I'm not going to recommend it. The title just kind of fits, that's all.

You better be listening to these songs by the way. Download/YouTube - I don't care! You have to listen to them! They're good. (Most of the time :P)

I have a feeling you'll like this one...

CHAPTER FIVE – YOU TAKE MY REASON NOT TO CARE

He was up and dressed by 9 o’clock the next morning, and he had taken a walk to collect the paper from his newsagents by 10. He didn’t know why, but he had an urge to talk to his father when he woke up that morning, so when he got back in he gave him a call. In fact, as soon as his father answered Jack suggested that they meet up with each other somewhere between the city and his Dad’s seaside town. Tony, as expected, willingly agreed.

And Jack actually had fun. They smiled and laughed and Tony only spent a moment or two being serious and telling Jack how happy he was that they were doing this, because he knew how Jack didn’t like to talk about the serious stuff. The conversations kept flowing. They spoke about Lucas and some of Tony’s most troublesome students and Jack’s stories from the station. Jack however failed to mention Martha. It was not because he’d forgotten, because she was on his mind every time they took a break to have a sip of coffee or a breath of air, and every time he counted down the minutes until 1.45.

Finally at 1 o’clock Jack and Tony separated and Jack had arrived home by 1.40. He let himself in the apartment and walked straight through the kitchen and to the lounge, ignoring the glowing orange ticket that was still sat beside the door. Well he tried to. But when he moved through to the bedroom and noticed yesterdays clothes strewn across the bottom of his bed, spotted with cream paint, he remembered how genuine and sorry she had looked when she told him she was only trying to be his friend. He remembered asking himself, as they sat there in comfortable silence for the next half an hour, where his reason NOT to get involved with her again had gone to. And just for that next half an hour, he pretended that it was 3 years ago, that it was their sofa and their room, and he remembered how happy he had once felt.

As quickly as he could he grabbed his coat from the sofa and picked up his keys as he hurried out, making sure to snatch the orange ticket from the worktop as he left.

Martha looked up to the big blue gates behind her, as if to check they hadn’t moved. She let out a long sigh and looked down at her wrist, reading the time off her leather-strapped watch.

“It’s nearly 2 Mar, the game’s about to start.” Chelsea said from behind, stepping forward to Martha. “He’s not coming.” She added softly.

Martha sighed, nodding as her eyes darted one last time. “Yea, you’re right. Come on, let’s go join Raul.” She said, finally tearing her eyes away from the small crowd in front and following her friend down the concrete steps. Martha had just begun to wonder why she ever thought Jack would turn up when she heard someone shout her name, and then a hand touch her shoulder. She spun around to its touch and looked up to his red face.

“Hey,” He said breathlessly. “Sorry I’m late.”

Martha smiled, trying not to tell him that it was better late than never.

“Its fine, I just got here myself.” She lied.

“Come on guys, we’re never going to find our seats if we don’t leave soon!” Chelsea moaned, grabbing Martha and Jack by the cuffs of their coats and dragging them along. Martha laughed as she watched Jack’s face, surprised at the sudden pulling and tugging from a girl he hadn’t even been introduced to yet.

“That’s Chelsea. She’s very bossy.” Martha filled him in with a knowing wink. Jack nodded with a polite smile, and proceeded in following Chelsea and Martha up to their seats.

The seats were only half full and the hot-dog’s were just bearable if you consumed a drink straight after a bite. But the teams that Jack had never heard of were competitive and fast and exciting and he found himself roaring and cheering with them all. He even stood up to shout once.

He hadn’t moaned either. Not even a little. He’d sat on the end of the line, Martha to his right, and enjoyed the company. He hadn’t spoken to Raul and Chelsea much, but from the few words he’d shared with them he thought that they were friendly people. Even if they were protestors.

When the game was over, Jack turned to a very smug looking Martha.

“Fine, you win.” He groaned, fishing into his wallet for her prize. They’d betted earlier which team would win – Reds or Greens. Jack had chosen Red and lost miserably; and he knew Martha wouldn’t let him forget it.

He handed her the $20 bill, letting it sit between them in the air as she watched it. He wiggled it a little when she did nothing.

“I don’t want your money.” She said, pushing his hand away with her fingers.

Jack grumbled. “You’re not having my car. No matter what you say, it’s worth more than $20.” He told her sternly.

Martha giggled, shaking her head. “I don’t want your car. Lord knows I don’t want that car. Who would even want that car?” She asked incredulously.

Jack’s stared at her. “Get to the point.”

She smiled, “Keep that $20 and buy us a round at the pub instead.” She suggested.

Jack’s eyebrows rose. “Us?” He repeated.

“Yea, us. Me, You, Chelsea and Raul.” She answered.

Jack tried not to feel or question that twinge of disappointment in his stomach.

“Oh right... of course.” He sighed. “Umm… Okay.” He agreed, watching as Martha and her friends beamed in delight.

“Good.” Martha exclaimed, standing up and straightening out her coat. “Last one at O’Connors is a rotten egg!” She shouted in delight as she giggled and jumped and hopped down the stadium seats to pass the crowd. He watched as she bobbed along the crowds of people; a head higher than everyone else. He smiled as he shouted:

“Rotten egg? How old are you?” She was just far enough for Jack to see her cheeky fingered response. He laughed as he hopped over the chairs to the row in front, and proceeded to do so until he caught her at the bottom, playfully holding her back by her shoulders as she tried to escape by the gate. All that could be heard around them was their laughs and giggles and the insults she spat out at him after every breath or so.

O’Connors wasn’t really a place Jack would go to. It was busy and it was happy and it was green. There were drunks and there were needlessly loud men and women competing over each other for attention. There were bar staff that must have had some sort of surgery drug to hold up that teethy grin, and every so often a glass would smash.

But after an hour and a half sitting with Martha and her friends it felt like it was his sort of place. It felt as if he always came here, because of the busy atmosphere and the happy faces and the green. He seemed to think he enjoyed watching the drunks stumble around and occasionally fall over and that he would always smile when he overheard groups of loud friends tease one another.

Maybe it was because of the long-haired, blue eyed, beautiful girl from his memories who sat directly in front of him. Maybe that’s why it all suddenly felt so homely.

He shook his head to himself, folding his arms on the table as his head hung low. He wasn’t sure what was going on today, but it was fun and nothing like he’d experienced in a long while. He didn’t think he should be enjoying her company this much.

“Another round?” Chelsea spoke up; gesturing to Jack’s empty glass. Everyone seemed to nod their head in agreement as Chelsea and Raul stood up and left together. Jack noticed Raul’s hand rest on the bottom of Chelsea’s back.

“They’re together?” He asked.

Martha smiled, rolling her eyes. “No but they should be. She wants his babies.” She giggled a little, smiling. “And he wants hers. They’re just too stubborn or too stupid to do anything.” She told him with a giggle. “It’s cute though.”

Jack looked down into his empty glass as he rolled it between his hands and spun the little droplet of beer dizzy.

“How many of those have you had tonight? I’m sure that’s only your first.” Martha observed.

Jack nodded. “Yea, it is. I’ve got work in the morning so I’m taking it slow.” He told her.

Martha screwed her face up at him. “Wuss.”

Jack barked a laugh, “Ouch! Okay, just because I’m a responsible adult.” He excused himself.

Martha shook her head, “Boring old man more like. Come on… I’m sure it won’t kill you to wake up with a little headache tomorrow morning.”

“No, it will actually kill me.” He said seriously.

Martha swatted him on the arm and laughed. “Come on. I dare you to match my drinks.”

Jack laughed, breaking out into a smile that Martha felt herself fall into. “You dare me?”

Martha sat up proudly, nodding firmly. “Yes, I dare you. I bet I can drink you under the table.” She said confidently.

Jack looked at her warningly. “Now do you remember what happened last time you said that Martha? I seem to remember having to call Alf to pick you up.”

Martha shook her head. “Thanks for that, by the way. Granddad lectured me for days.”

Jack smiled, the memories seemed so old and faint like it was a lifetime ago. He was only 28 now, but it felt like they were so young back then.

“Anyway, I’m much better now. I’ll definitely be able to do it.” She told him.

“Had much practice?” He asked with a smile.

“More than you, I imagine. You uptight ass.” She smirked, “So how about another bet – the first person to pass out has to pay the other $50.” She proposed.

Jack smiled. “Great. It will be the easiest cash I’ve ever made.” He quoted her line from years back, wondering if he sounded like a complete fool for remembering it. But judging by her face she remembered too.

Martha rolled her eyes and scoffed before standing up and leaning against the table to lift herself higher. She strained her neck as she spoke loudly across the pub. “Hey, Chelsea – can you get Jack two please, he needs to catch up.” She smirked, sitting down on the table with her chin resting on her hands as she grinned at him.

Jack did the same, mocking her actions almost automatically. They both laughed and smiled and he felt like he was young again.

NEXT CHAPTER: TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT THE WORLD BEGINS AGAIN - Everything good happens when people are 'under the influence'! :P

I'm so happy he decided to go! :D See, he can't stay away from her!

“They’re together?” He asked.

Martha smiled, rolling her eyes. “No but they should be. She wants his babies.” She giggled a little, smiling. “And he wants hers. They’re just too stubborn or too stupid to do anything.” She told him with a giggle.

:lol: They're not the only ones who are too stubborn or too stupid to do anything. :wink:

Ah I have a feeling that Jack's lack of alcohol consumption over the years is going to catch up on him. But... could be wrong

I have the same feeling. Either way, Jack and Martha are always funny when they're drunk. :lol:

What could happen between them when they're 'under influence'? I wouldn't mind a kiss or they could go even further. :ph34r:

Looking forward to the next chapter!

CHAPTER SIX – TONIGHT’S THE NIGHT THE WORLD BEGINS AGAIN

The busy bar was still quite busy but the previous drunks had either moved on or gotten tired and collapsed on their table. The atmosphere was much more friendly and relaxed rather than hectic and loud. It was still bubbly and upbeat and kept everyone laughing and smiling and drinking.

“Another?” Martha challenged Jack.

Chelsea leant forward, “I think you’ve probably had enough now, Martha.” She advised her friend. “You’re going to fall off your stool if you don’t stop giggling soon.” She told her.

Martha shook her head, “No, I’m not giving up. Jack’s on the brink of caving – I can feel it.” She said in a loud whisper, her hand lazily guarding her mouth from Jack’s vision. The table laughed at Martha’s childish ways.

It was clear to anyone that Martha had had more than enough. She wouldn’t pass out anytime soon, Jack knew that, but she was certainly drunk. Jack was also quite drunk, not as bad as Martha, but not quite as good as Raul. He was laughing far more than his cheeks were used to and they’d begun to hurt a little. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d had this much fun.

“Hey, you can’t stop her if she doesn’t want to be stopped.” Jack said to them, raising his hand in a ‘stop’ sort of way. “She’s a big girl… she knows what she’s gotten herself into.” He said with a smirk.

“S’right.” She slurred with a delayed nod.

Raul sighed. “Well, I guess you don’t need us then.” He said, standing up as he looked down at Chelsea.

“What, we’re going?” Chelsea asked. “What about Martha?”

Raul took his coat off the stool. “She’s got Jack. To be honest, I don’t want to be here when they both begin singing Auld Lang Syne or something.” He smiled.

Chelsea shrugged, “Yea, I guess you’re right. Will you be okay, Mar?” She asked.

Martha’s eyebrows knitted together and she turned her lip up, “Of course, Mum!” She teased.

Chelsea rolled her eyes with a laugh, patting Martha’s head as she stood up and grabbed her coat.

“See you, you two.” She said. “Nice to meet you Jack.” Chelsea said friendlily.

“Yea, it was great to meet you.” Raul said, “Look after her please, Jack.” He said. “When she gets drunk... she forgets where she lives and tries to persuade people she’s homeless.” He informed him seriously. “It’s just a habit of hers.”

“Noted.” Jack said. “Bye.”

He watched as Chelsea and Raul left the bar, leaving through the door and walking out of sight together. Jack turned around to hear Martha scoff.

“I do not forget where I live.” She said angrily, folding her arms. “I mean… I live… I live at…” She stumbled, her brows knitting together again as she stared down at her glass in concentration.

“St Yorks Road?” Jack reminded her.

Martha nodded firmly, sticking her finger up in the air. “Yea!” She exclaimed. “Raul is such an over-exaggerator-ererrr.”

Jack grinned, picking up his glass and washing down the last of his beer down his throat.

“It’s nice to be here with you again.” Martha said to him with a smile. “It’s even nicer to see you laughing again. I thought you’d forgotten how… after… after Sam.” She said.

Jack stopped smiling and put his empty glass down, following it with his eyes. He nodded briefly and then looked up to the bar, avoiding her eyes: “Shall we go for something a little stronger now?” Jack asked her.

Martha, too drunk to recognise his avoidance tactics, sat up excitedly in her chair.

“Look who’s becoming less of an uptight-ass!” She cheered.

Jack smiled and stood up, taking it as a yes and leaving the table to get them each one or two of ‘something stronger’.

“Here, Jack.” Martha said, dragging down on his hand as she tried to sit down on some steps. Jack groaned, rolling his eyes as he gripped her harder and pulled her upright.

“No, Martha.” He scolded sternly.

“I’m telling you, I have no home!” She exclaimed, tugging on his hand. “I live here with Swashbuck the mouse!” She informed him.

Jack had to stop walking to laugh. He still kept Martha firmly in his grip, but leant against a lamp-post to steady his weak body.

“I hope I remember this in the morning.” He chuckled.

“Why?” She asked innocently.

Jack just ignored her as he stood upright, pulling her along the street. It was 2 in the morning and there were no taxis to be seen. He was in no state to drive her home and it was too far to walk so Jack had decided that they would retire at his apartment. He only lived a few minutes away, so there shouldn’t be much of a problem.

Except Martha insisted she lived on the streets.

Finally when he’d gotten Martha to forget about Swashbuck they began to walk down the pavement, hand in hand as she stared up to the sky above. They wobbled next to each other, and he couldn’t help but feel some sort of tingle whenever her arm brushed against his. They were both too hot to have coats on, and so Jack was holding them both in his spare hand. All Martha wore were her jeans and blue top, with her purple scarf wrapped around her neck. She looked beautiful and cute and drunk all at once, and Jack was starting to feel things he was sure that he shouldn’t be feeling. Especially when she was so vulnerable.

He let them into his apartment block after quite a lot of stumbling around, and helped her up the stairs. He sat her down on the sofa.

“Got any beers?” She asked, standing up and walking straight past him. He groaned as he watched her open the fridge and duck inside.

“Martha… I think you’ve had enough.” He said, walking over to her.

Martha smirked, standing outside the fridge. “Are you giving in?”

“No… but…”

“Then drink up, baby.” She smirked, opening his bottle and passing it to him. “Cheers.” She said as she clinked their bottles together, and proceeded in taking a long sip.

Jack couldn’t help but smile as he watched her hobble off, slipping off her shoes by the table and then skipping into the lounge. She sat down on the sofa with her legs curled underneath her and waited until Jack joined beside her.

“What are you smiling at?” He asked her.

“You.” She answered.

He screwed his face up at her.

“What about me?”

“Just... how weird it is that you’re here again.” She said. “I was starting to think I’d never see you again.” She admitted.

Jack nodded, “Well, I suppose we’d have to meet up again at some point – we are still married.” He reminded her.

Martha laughed a little and nodded. “We are the worst married couple ever.” She said.

“Oh, I don’t know about that. We have our moments.”

She sighed, “Yea… we were pretty good once. When our wedding wasn’t being blown up or I wasn’t lost in the bush.” She said.

“And when we weren’t arguing.” Jack added.

Martha nodded a little, slipping down in the sofa. “When we were like this.” She ended softly, looking up at him.

Then there was the quietest and tensest moment that Jack and Martha had experienced since their reunion. The room was dark with only a few shades of light holding up a visable glow on their wide eyes and bright faces, and they were sat in the centre, staring at one another as they let their last words settle. Jack watched as she swallowed underneath him, and felt her body begin to move towards his. When her face began to near his, and he felt her breath against his skin, he couldn’t seem to feel his fingers or toes. But then a glassy green bottle moved up and took place on her lips, blocking his entry with great disappointment. However he wasn’t quite so disappointed when he saw the smirk and the sparkle in her eyes behind the top of the beer bottle.

“You can sleep in my bed tonight,” He offered. “I’ll just set up the sofa while you get settled in.”

She smiled and nodded as she got up and walked to the door that he had gestured to. She was too tired to bother about thinking of something to change into, so she just crawled on top of the duvet and laid down on the bed. Jack had offered his bed for her, a different Jack to who had treated her rudely the other day at the hospital. To her joy, she realised that he hadn’t changed quite as much as he had hoped he had. Ever since she’d seen him at the hospital she’d known something was wrong. Even though they were both physically there he had still not come back – there was something distant and different in him that just wouldn’t settle. She’d feared that the old Jack had gone for good, but after today she was given hope. Today she’d seen him come back a little. He was the guy she fell in love with again.

She looked up as he walked in the room, sitting down on the edge of the bed as he looked down at her. He said nothing… he just watched her.

“I’m sorry about Sam and Rory.” She said quietly, “I know you’re sad and you’re still hurting, and no one will probably ever be able to take that pain away; but I’d like to try and make it better. If you let me.”

Jack said nothing; he just stared down at her with a glisten in his eye. She could tell he wasn’t going to speak so she just accepted the hand that he’d offered her to hold, and allowed him to stroke the strands of stray hair from her eyes. She even let him lower his head down to her as he stroked her cheek with his thumb, and left her eyelids to drift closed as she felt his breath near her lips.

It was only a simple kiss that probably could be passed off as friendly, but it was more than enough for them both to understand.

When he sat up slowly and opened his eyes, he watched Martha’s sleeping form with a small smile. He let go of her hand and face and poured a blanket over her. He dragged his eyes away from her and closed the door behind him, knowing that if he could see her from the sofa then he’d probably get no sleep at all tonight.

In the morning he showered and ate and tiptoed into the bedroom for his shirt. He had planned on waking her before he left, but as he buttoned up his shirt while watching her chest rise and fall he couldn’t find the strength. Instead he wrote a note, leaving it on the table near her deep purple scarf before leaving for work.

I’ve gone to work, but feel free to hang about. Help yourself to breakfast and tea or coffee – actually, not the coffee, it tastes disgusting. I hope your hangover isn’t too bad.

Thanks for last night. Jack. x

P.S. I’d like you to try and make it better

NEXT CHAPTER: SOMEONE TO SAVE YOU - Return of the scarf. What's that pesky little thing up to now? Jack learns a bit of what Martha's been up to these past two years.

Archived