Love

Guest laura549

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 6

Roman was jogging on the beach when he saw his daughter in the distance. She was sitting there alone, still with that sad look on her face. As he approached her, he saw she had been crying. He hated it when she wasn’t happy.

“Nicole”, he yelled.

She got up to her feet and wanted to leave, but he caught up with her.

“Hey, wait up, where are you going?”, he asked his daughter.

“Home”, she said.

“No, come on, sit down with me for a bit”

“Dad, I know you mean well, but I don’t want to talk about it okay?”, she said softly.

“That’s fine. But I want to talk to you about something, so sit down, please?”

When she finally sat down with him on the beach, Roman didn’t really know how to handle this one. He hadn’t really thought about it.

“When I was in high school, I was dating this girl, she was very pretty and popular and all the guys were jealous of me”, Roman started.

“Uhm, yeah, I know”, Nicole said as she pointed at herself “Look what happened”.

“No, no, this girl was before I met your mother. Anyway, I thought I was really in love with her, but then I met your mother”

Nicole listened to her dad who told her a story to try and make a point. It was kind of sweet when he tried so hard. She had to admit she was a little amused, because she knew he didn’t know how to bring up the subject. Although she didn’t know exactly what that subject was this time.

“This might sound hard to believe but your mother and I were really in love at that time, but I was still dating the other girl. So I had to break up with her, because I realised I did love her, but I just wasn’t IN love with her. I didn’t want to hurt her, but I had to be honest with her and tell her that my heart, at that time, was with somebody else.” Roman finished.

“Are you saying I’m not in love with Geoff?!” Nicole asked her father shocked.

“No, not at all…”, Roman said disappointed. He really thought it was an appropriate story to cut into the subject.

“Than what’s your point?” Nicole asked.

“I’m just saying that it’s okay to have feelings for somebody else, as long as you are being honest about it, even if it’s about a girl”, Roman said cautiously.

“A girl?!”, Nicole looked shocked at her father.

“There’s nothing wrong with it, it’s a natural thing and it’s something you don’t have to hide or feel bad about. I just want you to know I’m okay with it if that’s your choice. But I do think you have to be honest about it, especially to the people you love”, he finished.

There he finally said it, that’s exactly what he wanted to make clear to his daughter.

“Dad! I’m not in love with a girl”

“It’s okay, Nicole, as I said, you don’t have to lie about it or hide it, it happens.”

“No, dad, I know it’s okay, but seriously,” she looked him in the eyes “I swear I am not in love with a girl. I don’t even know why you’d think that.”

“Aden said you kissed a girl on the beach yesterday, next you’re having a fight with Geoff and now you’re looking all confused and teary, what am I supposed to make out of that?” he asked his daughter.

“That’s what this is all about? “, she asked.

“Well yeah, isn’t that why you and Geoff were fighting last night?”, he asked.

“No, he would not pick a fight with me for that, he would ask me and besides, he knows I love him and wouldn’t hurt him like that! It was meaningless”, she said confidently.

“Are you sure? Aden says Geoff saw you getting it on and he didn’t look too happy about it”, Roman said to Nicole.

“Oh my God”, she said, realising what she had herself into by this innocent kiss.

“And why did you kiss the girl again?”

“To get the attention of her ex boyfriend”, Nicole said.

“Nicole!”, Roman laughed, “you’re unbelievable you know that!”

Nicole laughed at her father. She hugged him and together they walked down the beach, heading home.

“So, where you really in love with MUM?!”, Nicole asked sarcastically.

In the meanwhile, Geoff was back at home, still worrying about Nicole. The scene just kept playing in his head. Nicole and Freya. Freya and Nicole. He really needed to talk to her, but nobody was home when he went to see her earlier. Or maybe she just didn’t want to talk to him, that was another possibility.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the next chapter :)

Chapter 7

Finally he had found her. She was having lunch with her dad at the diner. Would she still be mad at him? At least she didn’t look as sad as she did when he left her yesterday. That was a good thing, right? He was walking over to her as he stopped. Maybe she didn’t want to talk to him. Yeah, he should probably give her more time. As he turned around to leave, he changed his mind again. No, he had to talk to her, tell her he didn’t mean what he had said yesterday. He needed to apologise.

“Hi”, he said, smiling nervously, not really knowing how he should behave.

“Hi”, she smiled.

Well, at least she was talking to him and not ignoring him. That’s a good start, Geoff thought.

“Uhm, I’ll leave you two to it”, Roman said as he felt the tension rise between the two lovebirds.

“I think we need to talk”, Nicole said.

“Yeah, but can we go somewhere else?”, he asked as he saw Colleen looking curiously at them.

She nodded knowingly, so they went to Irene’s house. They sat on the couch, when Geoff took a deep breath before starting.

“Nic, I’m so so sorry about what I said yesterday. I didn’t mean anything what I said and I just said what I said because I….”

“Geoff”, Nicole interrupted him.

“No no, let me finish”, he insisted.

“I was angry at you and I think I felt a bit humiliated, because I saw you earlier that day on the beach and you were kissing with that Freya girl. And I still don’t know what that meant, but I do know I should have just talked about it with you instead of picking a fight with you.”, he finished.

Nicole looked to Geoff and listened at what he was saying. As he had finished, she kissed him softly.

“What was that for?”, Geoff asked surprised.

“Because I’m in love with you”, she smiled as she thought back at the weird conversation she has had with her father earlier that day.

“And that kiss with Freya didn’t mean anything Geoff, it was just a little plan of Freya to get Xavier’s attention. It was completely harmless and I didn’t mean to hide it for you, I just didn’t think it was such a big deal”, she said. “And I’m really sorry, I never thought how it could affect you, it was just for fun”, she added when she noticed Geoff didn’t say much.

“So we are okay?”, he asked her eventually.

“Yeah, we’re okay, don’t worry about it”, she smiled at him as she leaned in for a kiss.

A couple of days later Nicole and Geoff went to a party in the surf club with the rest of the gang. They had sorted everything out, at least that’s what they thought. Ever since they made up, Nicole felt that there was this weird tension between them. She didn’t know if Geoff felt it too and she didn’t have the courage to talk about it. It was like something was broken, something was gone between them. She still loved him, but things had changed between them, it was like Geoff didn’t know how to act around her. He had been so distant the last couple of days.

Nicole was standing at the bar, getting some drinks for everyone, when a guy came up to her and started chatting with her.

“I haven’t seen you around, are you new here?”, he asked.

“No”, Nicole said as she tried to end the conversation there.

“So.. you have a boyfriend?”, he asked.

“Not that’s it any of your business, but yes I have”, Nicole answered “And he’s standing right there”, she said as she pointed to Geoff, who was secretly keeping an aye on his girlfriend.

“So there’s not much of a chance I’ll get your phone number tonight then?”, he laughed.

“No, I don’t think so”, Nicole said as she started to take off.

“Wait!”, he said. “Here, call me if you change your mind”, the guy said as he gave her his phone number on a note.

Nicole laughed as she took the number. Geoff had seen it all and he wasn’t too happy. Nicole on the other hand thought it was completely harmless, she took the note and threw it away.

“What was that all about?”, Geoff asked Nicole.

“He wanted to know if I had a boyfriend”, she laughed.

“What did you say?” Geoff asked seriously.

Nicole was shocked at Geoff’s reaction. “What do you think I said”, Nicole said a little bit irritated. “I said I have a boyfriend and that I wasn’t interested”, she became angry.

“Then why did he gave you his phone number?”, Geoff asked.

“Oh my God, are you spying on me?”, Nicole asked, becoming more irritated.

“You didn’t answer my question”, Geoff said to his girlfriend.

“You don’t trust me, do you?”, Nicole said hurt.

Geoff said nothing, he just looked at her and realised she was right. He didn’t trust her. There had been some tension between them since they made up. Something wasn’t right and now he realised he didn’t trust her. And he hated himself for feeling this way about the girl he loved so much.

“Oh my God, you really don’t”, Nicole said as Geoff didn’t answer the question and just looked at her, not knowing what to say.

“Well, I think I better go then”, Nicole started “and.. for your information, I threw the number away”, she said as she took off and left Geoff standing there all confused.

When Nicole went to the beach the next day for a swim she caught Geoff sitting alone on the beach. She went over to him, they needed to talk about their relationship. It couldn’t go on like this.

“Hi”, she said.

“Hey”

Their hello’s were followed by a very long silence. Neither of them said a thing and they just sat there, next to each other staring at the ocean, when Geoff finally broke the silence and spoke.

“This isn’t working”, he said sadly.

“I know”, Nicole said.

“I don’t know what to do Nicole”, Geoff said honestly as he looked Nicole in the eyes. “I still love you Nic and I still want to be with you more than anything in the world.. But… It’s not working” he said waiting for her to say something, but she didn’t.

“What happened to us?”, he asked.

“I don’t know”, she said honestly. “Maybe everybody was right… and we are just too different”, she said.

“but we are good together”, he said

“I know”, she said sadly.

“So what happens now?”, Geoff asked insecure.

“Maybe we should not see each other for a while, take a break or something like that”, she said with pain in her heart.

Geoff said nothing. He didn’t want to take a break, he wanted to be with her, he loved her. But he knew if they didn’t, they would end up hurting each other.

She hoped Geoff would say no to her proposal. She hoped he would say he didn’t want to take a break. She hoped he would say he loved her and trusted her and wanted to be with her forever and never let her go.

“I think this is for the best”, he said.

“So you think we should break up?”, she said shocked.

“No, Nicole, as you said, I think we should take a break from each other, otherwise we are going to end up hating each other and I don’t want that. I love you.” He said. She nodded.

Nicole didn’t say anything. She looked sad, but she understood. Deep down she knew this was for the best.

“What would you say if this school year is over, during the holidays, we go on a date and see if there’s still something there worth fighting for?”, Nicole asked.

“Okay”, he said.

Nicole smiled sweetly at him, before kissing him one last time softly on his lips. She broke off the kiss, when she started realising they kind off broke up. She felt sad, she stood up and ran off. She didn’t want Geoff to see her tears. But he saw it, he felt it, because it was exactly how he felt.

Geoff hadn’t seen Nicole for a week, he missed her. When they decided they should take a break from each other, he still thought he would see her heaps. They were in the same grade, they had the same friends and Roman and Irene worked at the same diner. But he hadn’t seen her, not at school and not at the diner. He wanted to go to her house, but he decided he had to give her some space, while they decided to take a break from each other.

When Nicole didn’t turn up for school the next two weeks, he started to get worried about her. Maybe he should ask Roman, he didn’t do anything wrong by that. He went to the diner to ‘help’ Irene. This was the perfect moment to subtle ask Roman how his daughter was doing.

Geoff was doing the dishes as Roman was chopping some vegetables.

“So…How’s Nicole doing? I haven’t seen her around”, he said as he tried to be cool.

Roman looked at Geoff who was trying to concentrate on the dishes.

“To be honest, I haven’t heard from her since she arrived in the city. Sorry mate”, he said.

It took a while before Geoff realised what Roman had just said.

“What do you mean in the city? Is she visiting her mum?”, Geoff asked.

“No”, Roman said confused. “I thought you knew?”, he said.

“Know what?”, Geoff asked.

“Nicole has left, she’s back to the city living with her mum”, Roman said. “She said you knew”, Roman said confused.

“No, I didn’t, why didn’t anyone tell me?”, Geoff asked as he started to freak out.

Irene and Belle entered the kitchen.

“Did you guys know Nic’s back living with her mum in the city?”, Geoff asked both of them.

“Well, yeah love, we thought you knew too?”, Irene said.

“We thought you didn’t want to talk about it since you guys broke up”, Belle said.

“We didn’t break up! We’re taking a break, it’s not the same!”, Geoff said shocked. He did not see that coming.

He ran out of the diner, leaving Roman, Irene and Belle standing confused in the kitchen.

She had left Summer Bay. She had left him. he couldn’t believe it, she didn’t even say goodbye to him. And what about their date? There’s no way she would come back to the bay for some stupid date she had promised her ex boyfriend. And here he had been thinking and worrying about her for the last two weeks. That was not the Nicole he knew, or maybe it was…but if this is what she wanted, there wasn’t much he could do about it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archived