Computer problems... Help!

Guest Miranda

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry this feels like we’re playing tennis.

I think it’s pretty unlikely that increasing the memory caused this. The problem is with the display which can either be hardware or software related.

Ok restart the machine again but this time press [F8]. You should be presented with a menu containing several options. You will also see a bar where you will be able navigate to each option by using the Up and Down arrows. Please select the option titled “Safe Mode” and hit Return.

You will notice when Windows starts it will look and feel different. This is because this mode uses only the most basic Windows components, services and drivers (used for troubleshooting). Please let me know if you still experience the same problem when Windows has started and also when you logon.

You only need to do this a couple of times just so I know whether you still see the white line during this particular mode. After doing this you can simply carry on as normal and start the machine without pressing [F8]

P.S. - Which version of Windows are you using is it Vista or XP?

I tried you suggestion Slade and it didn't help. But... I did ask on another website and have found out what is wrong. The screen is screwed completely, so I have taken my laptop into the shop that i got it from and they are sending it away to get the screen replaced. So I will be gettin it back during the 2nd week of january.

• 8 months later...

HELP!! MY Dell lappy crashed for the second time in a year!! :( And I didn't even drop it this time, its due to ''hardware/software'' changes it tells me. It wont even let me go into safe mode! :( Anywho, it says I need my installation disc to repair it. I CANNOT find it anywhere! Can I use another disc? Like if I borrowed one off a friend?

I know I sound incredibly stupid but theres only so much I know about computers! :(

• 5 months later...

Archived