To Say Goodbye (by Skykat) - comments

Zetti

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think of the beach Mum, think of the wedding?” Anna suggested, clinging to the hope that the good things might overtake the bad in her mother’s mind. Anna saw her eyes cloud over and knew she was drifting back into memory, something she did on a regular basis.

Anna had heard her describe the beach so many times and she had seen the pictures, had seen her mother’s eyes light up at the memories of a happy childhood, with parents who adored her and an abundance of brothers and sisters. The way she told it Summer Bay had been a magical place to live , the sort of place that enchanted you with an undeniable magic and made you never want to leave. It was a safe haven, a place of peace and contentment where her mother had been much loved and respected.

That was so emotional and really showed the bond of mother and daughter. :)

Sally Fletcher.” It rolled off her lips almost without her realising and she felt her heart jerk. “Sorry, I was somewhere in the past. It’s Sally Jackson now and my daughter Anna.” With a tender smile for her step daughter, she handed over their tickets and passports.

Sally! :o I never expected that!

Great beginning, I have to know more about these people. :)

ps Where's Pippa? :unsure:

Well, I'm proofing this, but I thought I'd drop by and comment anyway, it's nice reading a fic without looking for things and instead sit back and enjoy it for what it is.

I can't wait to see where you are going with this, it's very intruiging to find out what happened to Sally that would make her decide never to go back to Summer Bay (even though she is)

“Mum?” Anna stood next to her and placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. Two watery, green eyes turned to look up at her, fear, the overpowering emotion they betrayed.

“I can’t do this.” Her voice was a whisper, broken and shaking. Anna took hold of her hand and held it tight but even from within the restraints of her own hand, Anna could feel the vibrations.

“You can, you know you can and you will. I’ll be with you,” Anna assured her, squeezing her hand tightly, her eyes never straying far from the airport’s electronic notice board.

that was great i was almost believing it myself and the way you write is from the heart and beautiful

“Sally Fletcher.” It rolled off her lips almost without her realising and she felt her heart jerk. “Sorry, I was somewhere in the past. It’s Sally Jackson now and my daughter Anna.” With a tender smile for her step daughter, she handed over their tickets and passports.

I never imagined it to be Sally Fletcher that was quite a surprise, cant wait for the next chapter :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kat, that was a great chapter, but this is where you excelled yourself:

Acres of bush, fields of red sand and orange dirt, littered with off green bushes and weird coloured trees. The lush green of England was now miles away and the Australian terrain was wild and rugged in a mural of yellow and gold, reflecting the colours of the sun which burnt so strongly onto the land.

Finally the taxi had pulled up at The Sands Resort, a sort of fairytale paradise, a luxurious complex of pristine white with neat little, white washed villas with quaint green shutters, precise edges and pockets of very carefully planted and maintained gardens and trees. It was the height of luxury, plush thick carpets, the sort you sank into and a clean, pristine feel that made Anna just want to paint her fingers across the walls as she had done as a child.

After a brief nose around their twin room with it’s soft, immaculately made beds, pristine dressers and oversized and entirely white bathroom Anna had joined her mother on the balcony. There the view had taken her breath away. The green, blue of the sea stretched out as far as the eye could see only ending as the sky met it, a cloudless, baby blue with the merest hint of haze from the sun. Closer to home the waves formed balls of white foam, like fizzy pop shaken then opened and they crashed onto sand that could only be described as golden. It stretched for miles, a golden mile, broken every now and again by sun worshippers, the odd surf patrol and the surfers themselves crashing in on the balls of white.

Behind the beach was a vastness, some green, some brown with occasional trees and buildings. The buildings were sparce and quaint, in white or sand colours and seemed to be at home with the landscape rather than at odds with it. In the distance the headland, cliffs of sharp grey rock with steep edges and a harsh ruggedness cut into the sand and overlooked the sea. It was a landscape of contrast, unspoiled by man and as natural and perfect as anything Anna had ever seen.

Absolutely stunning description. :) I smiled all the way through it, it was so perfectly written and conjured up the images so well.

Thanks. Probably not much in the way of action in that chapter but I wanted to set the tone for the memories a bit and work some of Sally's thoughts in it. The first chapter needed to be from Anna's point of view so Sally's identity remained a mystery but the story is about Sally and more if it will moveinto her thoughts from now on. I just wanted this chapter to be about seeing the Bay throgh Anna's new eyes but also introducing Sally's views too, if that makes sense. :)

Ha, its funny reading a story with another Anna - great minds huh?

Anyway, this is amazing Kat. The vivid imagery is beautiful. I love how you painted the differences between Australia and England.

Going from heavy glass windows at the bleak English weather to Acres of bush, fields of red sand and orange dirt, littered with off green bushes and weird coloured trees. The lush green of England was now miles away and the Australian terrain was wild and rugged in a mural of yellow and gold, reflecting the colours of the sun which burnt so strongly onto the land. - so beautiful. I felt as if I were standing looking into my backyard - you sounded so much more patriotic than I've ever felt. And it reminded me of the poem by Dorothea Mackeller that has the line "I love a sunburnt country," - your description is just beautiful to read.

I really love the inner monologue of Sally (And oh gosh that it was Sally shocked me!!) - you're really getting into her mind and feelings so deeply that I can totally empathise with her. I also love Anna, she seems like a grounded child (no doubt all Sally's doing) but she's also brave enough to push Sally because she knows its what she really wants. The re-living of their first meeting was brilliant - it was like I was actually there, and then the re-living of the times that Sally hadn't been there for Ric & Cassie was so sad! Poor Cassie and Ric.

I'm so glad you're getting back into writing, because stories such as this one show what you're truly capable of - its magic, and I can't wait to see how it unfolds!!

• 3 weeks later...